Gap

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After getting a GAP gift card, I ordered what I liked online - I thought. They sent something similar but not the same. Do their fulfillment staff think customers are too stupid to notice? When I called to straighten out the problem, the customer service agent was not helpful, so I asked to speak with her supervisor. The supervisor was able to find the item with a nation-wide inventory search. She says they'll send it to me. I hope so, I'll have to see. Bottom line, bad internet ordering experience with GAP, due to frustration and inconvenience. If you have to order through them and experience a problem, deal with the managers/supervisors if you want satisfaction.

We paid extra for delivery by 24 December. When we checked the shipping company it showed 27 December. A call to customer service, we were assured that it would arrive. It did not. It is very clear that the Gap only paid for delivery by 27 December, not the service that we were promised and for which we paid.

Ordered my niece two items on December 4. Was told I would get in 8-12 days. Today is the 12th day - December 16. I tried to call twice and held over 30 minutes first time, then got disconnected. Held even longer on 2nd call. I have no way of finding out if I am even getting this order. It still shows pending shipment. Not back order, not in stock. Terrible company. Should not be able to treat consumers this way. I will never use this company again. I finally got a hold of someone, who said that she would send a email to the warehouse to try and cancel. If successful I would get a email confirming it. I will fight with Credit Card company and not accept. They cannot guarantee delivery to a consumer, and then totally disregard the promise.

I have used Gap.com a couple of times... I did my last purchase on Nov 28th. 2 items out of the 28 got shipped... Remaining 26 items have been pending ever since. I have done numerous International phone calls to follow up on my shipment - Last time Customer Service answered me was a week ago and they promised the pending items will be delivered to my NY address by YESTERDAY! Funny enough, nothing got shipped yet and one of the items got cancelled as it was no longer available in stock. They send me an email with a 10% discount which I really do not care about. I have been trying to reach out to their customer service since yesterday and every time I call I get put on hold for ages and then I hang up. I sent a couple of emails yesterday... no response.

I have been extremely patient but at the same time I can not understand how a company like GAP that has been in the business for so many years failed operationally to live up to the expectations of the customers. I am sure this scenario happens every year around this time and your operations need to be handled in a better way moving forward! I am fed up with waiting on the line no matter what time of the day I call.. I even tried reaching them through their Twitter account, no answer...

I wish I'd read the reviews prior to ordering and I would have skipped this adventure altogether. I shopped for a gift at the local Gap store but was unable to find the size jeans I was looking for. I decided to order at home. I ordered the wrong style and after completing the order (late in the evening), I immediately realized my mistake. The website had two locations for how to cancel or change an order, but they both led to the same page, suggesting either a phone call or an e-mail.

Since it was after the stipulated hours of business, I opted for an e-mail. I included my order number and the corrections I needed and offered canceling as an option as well and waited for a reply. None came. This was on the 5th of December. I additionally called the next day to speak to an individual and was put on hold so long that it became useless to continue. I waited a week for a reply to my email with none ever coming and then received an email on the 9th that my order was on its way. I sent another email complaining about the wasted postage of having to return something I had tried to cancel and that e-mail never received a response. I ordered a substitute pair on the 10th and had to pay even more for postage to try to get the item in time for the gifting.

Had my son not requested this specific item for Christmas, I would not have ordered a 2nd time. I am out now $17.00 for shipping just to get a pair in time and I will never do business with this company again. By the way, I took their so-called "customer survey" online upon receiving my order confirmation notice and told them about all the problems I'd had and gave them a very poor rating. I do not expect to hear from them this time either. Their email "hotline" is a sham. They offer no customer resolution. What if a person were deaf and could not use a phone? Who are these people???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

I made a purchase online and paid $17 for expedited shipping. I called to change the shipping address and spent an hour on hold and still never spoke to anyone. I emailed customer support and received an automated email stating I would receive a response within 24 hours. I never received a response. I received my purchase 4 days after the expected (and paid for expedited) delivery date. I never reached anyone for a refund on my shipping (standard shipping was free). But I received another automated email with 50% off my next purchase for my troubles (which I had to use within the week).

I used the 50% off coupon and, again, tried to call customer service regarding the order. I, again, waited on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up and just emailing customer support. I still never received a response. Customer service for Gap is subpar and frustrating. I understand it is a busy time of year, but totally neglecting to respond even to an email (it has now been 2 weeks since the original email and 1 week since the second email) is unacceptable. I will not be making any more online purchases from Gap. Very disappointed in the last couple of experiences.

I have shopped at Gap for many years and LOVED their clothes, online purchasing process, and good deals, especially Gap Cash. Last holiday season I could first apply a % off coupon, and then use my Gap Cash. NO MORE!!!! WORSE THAN WORTHLESS!!!! You carefully select items for your cart.... time consuming!! Then they tell you you can't use it in combination with a % off coupon. In fact, feedback from the site said I was better off using the 50% off coupon. I'm taking my business to Abercrombie.

I have had issues with Old Navy and Gap before, this is even with original receipt, clothes not worn with tags, they will old give you depreciated value for items! I bought a pair of pants for my 15 month old with a $15 they gave me for issues I had a Gap, I paid $17 for pants the day before and today upon exchanging the pants for another one the girl at register wanted to only give me $1.94 towards my purchase! I was so annoyed I told her to call her manager and she did and he corrected her, it was right in front of her on the receipt!

The manager told me since it was a coupon it doesn't go towards your exchange. I just said serve me right for going back inside their store, will not be shopping at their stores anymore. I won't even call customer relations because I don't want your coupons I just want them to treat customers fairly and with respect. They also need to invest in getting proper training for customer service agents because after the girl at the register tried to rip me off she was cold and rude throughout the rest of the process rushing me and telling me, "Have a good day!"

I ordered a baby gift online to be shipped to a friend. The whole order was listed in stock. Four days later, I received notification that 1/3 of the outfit shipped, and that the 1/3 was on backorder and 1/3 was discontinued. Because this was a gift and ordered as so, I was extremely upset that the company would go and ship part of an outfit knowing that the rest was unavailable or on backorder. After many more calls and screw ups and frustration to rectify this situation, I was left with just a "sorry" and a ten percent discount on my next order. REALLY??? When talking to customer service, they seem to have no idea of their inventory and the order system is a catastrophe. I emailed the CEO, Art Peck about my experience and never received any response. I will never buy from this company again.

I placed an online order with Gap on a Sunday afternoon and then realized 2 minutes after placing the order that I needed to cancel it. I tried to cancel the order online but there was no option to cancel. I called customer service and was told that once the order was placed it could not be cancelled or changed. They said I could return it when I received it but it was being send as a gift to another address. I can't ask the person who is receiving to send it back as they will think it is a gift. I can't believe that they don't have a system that will allow an order to be cancel or modified. I will never order from them again.

Paid my bill in full online in May and two weeks later received a letter from CC company saying my payment didn't work and I now had a late fee. I called and they removed the late fee and let me pay via phone for free. In September I paid the bill in full online and the same thing happened (I checked my bank this time and nothing had posted). So I called them and had a late fee and again the payment had failed. THIS time, I learned that it was because I put a check number in WHICH THE WEBSITE MADE ME DO. Again, they let me pay by phone for free and reversed the late fee. Today I discovered I had interest due. I called, they reversed the interest and I canceled the card.

It was the worst experience in customer service that I had, oh my God. I've paid my statements twice and it has been returned and they have not sent me announcement and now they've closed my account without informing me!!!

Brought beach pants along with other clothes from Gap factory store on July 4 sale. Original price of $29.99. The pants got completely torn as I stretched myself while playing in beach. This happened within a week and it was such an embarrassment. Store: 07723, valid no: 4633, sale: **, beach pants: 097220 0202.

I placed a last minute online shopping order with Gap.com and paid for overnight shipping. Unfortunately, two days beyond when I should have received the package, there was no sign of the items I had ordered. I am going out of town and ordered a lot of the items specifically for this trip. I tracked the package, whose status was listed as "delivered". Yet there was no sign of any package or delivery slip, and I was home all day Friday to receive it. Slightly panicked, about packing and about a missing package bound for my home, I emailed and then called Customer Service right away.

I spoke to the most helpful and pleasant service rep, Kristie. She was attentive, listened to the issue, and offered solutions right away. She reshipped the same order, thankfully still in stock, with expedited shipping and a required signature to assure that I received the package and wasn't left waiting in limbo. It was a close call whether or not, I would get the package on time, but sure enough, Kristie got the job done. I'm a long time Gap customer and a Silver cardholder. This was the first mishap in my time as a customer and it was handled efficiently and effectively. They will keep my business, for sure!

Worst customer service!!! I had a few orders different over time that was missing items... the most recent is a chambray dress. I received several packages as the order was split (worst idea). I kept looking thinking my item would arrive... two days ago I sat at my computer and went back online - checked my order to see if I had really placed the order or it was shipped separately. Gap is showing the item shipped but I never received the item in the package. I called. They said they were out of stock. I however need to contact my credit card company and dispute the missing item. I found that very distasteful and fraud. My credit card company had nothing to do with the order. Gap got paid for something they never delivered. Gap stores too. Unhelpful associates and management. Never go back again!!!

I wish if I can give 0 stars. Worst customer service and worst card that I ever had. If you need to do dispute for transaction, it will take more than 6 months, and still not done yet. They cancelled it without letting me know. 0 stars for Gap stores too. Unhelpful associates and management. Never go back again!!!

I fell behind on my credit cards this year and naturally Gap called me to settle the payment. I went along with it, set up a payment plan to get my small balance taken care of within a few months or so. Yesterday I opened a paper statement I got in the mail from gap. I had to double check the date because after 4 months of payment (my balance should be completely paid off) it said I still owed $173. That was about how much I started with when I STARTED paying. I paid 40-45 a month the last 4 months to get that paid off. They had been charging me a $35 late fee every month!! When I called customer service today to get answers, all they said was that it is their policy to charge us late fees even when we have a payment plan because they "don't ever say we will be paying off the balance" when setting up a payment plan.

First off, I am furious that I set up a payment plan with the rep who called because apparently he did not inform me of their "policy". I would have never ever agreed to paying monthly just to only have late fees charge me. Second, the customer service did not give me any resolution for my concern. I have to now wait 7-10 days for them to listen to the phone call where I signed up for auto pay to pay off my balance. The so called "supervisor" read me the notes of someone even though that person was from a separate collection agency and they said "informed customer of late fees". Biggest BS I have ever heard!!! I will never recommend gap or old navy cards to anyone. They were not helpful at all either. I still feel left in the dark!

With great sadness I have been disposing of some of my nice tops bought at Gap as they became no good to go out with. After having washed my tops twice or more, some small holes appear in the lower front part of the top at the level of the upper stomach/waist. I thought it would be moth that have infested my clothes. But if there were moths the damage to the garments would been anywhere in the garments. And the series of small holes I have found in my Gaps tops are always in the same area. As the situation persisted even with a new lot of Gap tops I am wondering if something is wrong with the factory system -- as the holes are always in the same area. Then talking to a friend about this she said that she has got the same problem.

Gap has to see this and request its factories that produce the tops to check about this matters. Gap loses reputation with this kind of affairs. I hope they can see this matter as soon as possible. I personally will refrain of buying my tops in Gap. I have had so many garments lost in this way that I am fed up of the situation. To change my lost items is not the answer, but to look for the causes of this fault in the Gap tops as soon as possible.

I order my family some things from the Gap the Sunday before Christmas only because they were advertising if you order before Monday December 21st, the items will be delivered by Christmas eve. My family still have not received the gifts and when I tracked the package it will not be delivered to Wednesday December 30th. I understand everyone shipments were backed up but to take 9 days to ship, that's ridiculous! I will never order from GAP again. I would like to receive some kind of compensation for the inconvenience.

I was just on the phone with Gap customer service, and at the beginning of the call it said that I would be asked to take a customer service survey at the end of the call. When the customer service agent was helping me, I was confused by what she had said and asked her to repeat it on two different occasions. She became angry and had a VERY rude tone. I waited so I could report that on the customer survey at the end of the call. She said "Goodbye" but never hung up. I waited awhile but was not going to sit on the phone, until she hung up who know when that would happen! I didn't want to waste my phone minutes so I finally hung up. I guess that is one way for a bad agent to avoid getting a poor review. I will be looking at other Visa alternatives and close this account.

Placed an order with "free shipping". Order placed 12/6, shipped 7 days later and arrange for arrival an additional 8 days. A total of 15 days between order placement and delivery date. Called the order department and customer service as well as their complaint department and in each case it was "how we do business" and it was a "take it or leave it" but of course they already charged our credit card. And GAP wonders why Lands End and Joseph Bank are affecting their business not to mention that I will never ever do business with GAP again.

Stay away as far as possible... Rude customer service for 1. Called me saying they reduced my credit limit because my credit score went down. I told them that's not fair I always paid on time. I asked my balance, paid in full and closed my account... Three months later I looked at my credit score and they listed my Gap account as three months late and that they closed it. What a bunch of crock... In the process of contacting an attorney... again.

I am appalled at I could not cancel an order I placed online directly after it was submitted. I accidentally hit 'place order' and realized what I had done. I quickly found FAQs/Customer Service on their site and it said to please call some number as fast as possible, so that the order could be canceled, because their order process goes through pretty fast. I ordered online at 8:50. I called this number and 'tried' to cancel it at 8:53. The rep took about 45 seconds to verify all of my info, and directly afterwards told me 'unfortunately, I know you were quick and all, but we cannot cancel your order... And here's an alternative... Would you like for me to go ahead with this?' Ummm, I have no other choice now, do I? 3 Minutes. THREE. And I was still told I could not cancel my online order.

I am completely disgusted by this ridiculous 'policy' after having shopped at The Gap for over 25-30 yrs. Of course I will 'return to sender' once I receive the shipment, but this entire process and ordeal has infuriated me to the point where I will never visit any of their stores in malls or even online any longer. I'm a big fan of Banana Republic as well and will be canceling my card with them the minute I get into work tomorrow. I actually work for an online business, a well-known University in NYC actually, and even WE have a better process than this. I've never heard of being told to call in as fast as possible to cancel an order, and when I did, in just under 4mins, I'm still told there was nothing they could do. Really? I can't wait to tell everyone I know about this mishap, and am hoping they'll see through clearer eyes like I have, what a joke their online system is.

Sorry guys, but you need to change that FAQ to read "sorry, your order cannot be canceled. Deal with it until you get the shipment and return. Then wait about a week to have the charges reversed."... That sounds about right.

We had two unpleasant experiences at this location today. The item that I was buying had an additional 50% off. Once we got to the register, the manager told us that it was 40% my friend pointed to the manager where the sign said 50% off. However, the manager told us that she could not see that far. First of all, as a manager you should know the items that on sale or tell the customer that let me scan to be sure. Instead we got the attitude of, how poor her eyesight might be. The second incident was when I used one card and provided my ID. Then I was told to show my ID again upon giving the sales person another card. All of this within seconds for each other. This was not a pleasurable shopping experience, and to make matters worse there was no information on my receipt to write about my shopping experience. I will not be going back to this location.

I have been a consumer of Gap retail for years. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of opening a GAP Visa credit card a couple years ago and have been dealing with billing and fraud issues since then. In addition to having my credit card information stolen, I have been trying for the past 10 months to close my account due to continued fraudulent charges. Every time I close my account, due to fraud, Gap Visa then opens up another account under my name, without my consent and then I receive a statement on another account with fraudulent charges.

It appears that Gap Visa has a serious security breach and is not letting the consumers know or their billing department is so incompetent that it keeps opening up an account on closed "fraud" accounts because that is their standard practice. My advise is to NEVER open an Visa account with Gap because you will never be able to close the account and/or your personal information will be stolen and Gap will never advise you of this act. In addition, even though I like their products I will no longer shop at this retailer because it has become very clear that their accounting information is seriously flawed and therefore, any credit card information could be easily stolen due to their weak accounting system.

I used to be a very loyal customer at the Gap. Not so much anymore. Quality has been going downhill for years. Let's talk GapCash... Hmmm, I needed to spend $150 to receive $75 GapCash. So I did. I went to use my $75 dollars of GapCash. I was told I needed to spend $150 to be able to receive my $75 discount. So let's face it. You really need to spend $300 to be able to use the $75 GapCash. VERY MISLEADING. GapCash should have no strings attached once you earned it. Maybe they need to take a note from how the other retailers do the cash program.

You CANNOT(!) EXCHANGE something bought online at their store for a different size (as their receipt says you can). You must return it, re-buy the correct size, and wait for your credit to show back up. "Our registers will only allow us to handle it as a return". So infuriated that after returning the item and emailing them, they issued me credits above what I paid for the dress, so cost them more $ than if they had done the right thing. I paid off my Gap and Banana cards in their entirety tonight, and will use my rewards credits, and then cut them up and never spend a penny with that company. Breaks my heart. Love BR, but, nope.

I paid off my card and then get a letter saying I was due a refund and how do I want it. I asked for a check. They mail the check and a month later send me another letter saying they made a mistake and charged my card. Wondering if it's happened to others so they get you trapped and start charging interest and fees again. I worked hard to pay that off.

The employees were very helpful in key west.

I am so sick of being a victim of the incompetent Gap customer service and fraudulent departments! I called in to Gap 2 months ago when my account was locked online and was then told that my account had a fraudulent charge and my card was cancelled and sent a new one. They never even notified me. I had to go on vacation so I made sure that I paid all I owed so I wasn't charged a late fee. I spend nearly 6 hours on the phone that week with GAP online purchase department and went line by line of all my orders and credits and made sure I paid the exact balance minus the fraudulent charges. I just logged into my account online with the new card only to find that they never even submitted my fraudulent charge for investigation, charged me late fees for my fraudulent charge and the balance minus the fraudulent charge is also off by another $18 or something.

Their department tells me I will have to wait 60 days, they do not remove the balance, so it looks like I don't pay my bills. I told them that I do not owe them a cent and I paid off everything but the fraudulent charge, and I asked them if they are reporting me as not paying my bills and ruining my credit as a result of this, and of course they don't know and simply told me that I have to wait 60 days. Gap credit is the most incompetent credit card I have ever experienced. If they screw up my credit I will sue. Not to mention they have wasted at least $1000 worth of my time and freaking stress and grief over this. I am furious!

Gap Company Profile