1.28/5
Based on 119 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

150 Gap Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

I purchased a sweater. It shrunk. I returned it with the packing slip. It was returned to me with a note that said, “Can’t be returned: washed”. Are we not supposed to be able to wash sweaters? Are we supposed to just wear them over and over? There were no special instructions. It wasn’t cashmere. It didn’t say dry clean only. I hate this store.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I ordered a gray 4th of July dinosaur shirt for my grandson.This was 2 months ago and it arrived today. The package and shirt were damaged. Looked like burn marks. FedEx would not take it back because they said my return label was wrong. So frustrated that I trashed the package at the FedEx store. It was only 12 bucks but now my grand daughters get a 4th shirt and my grandson doesn’t... will never order from Gap again.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Called 1-800-427-7895 June 22 looking for an item. Vanessa was FANTASTIC looking in different areas (she thought it might have been in the US that I had seen it, while I am online in Canada). Unfortunately we got cut off. When I called back I saw MUDTAR who said, "IF IT'S NOT ON THE WEBSITE, THEN WE DON'T HAVE IT," & who couldn't switch me to Vanessa. WOW. How unhelpful was that? Customer DISservice, MUDTAR. Vanessa was looking around the site to see if she could find what I was describing (a matching top to a dress).

Original review: June 16, 2018

I ordered a couple shirts for my Dad for Father's day. I used the expedited 1 day shipping. I ordered them on a Thursday thinking that the order would be processed on Friday and delivered on Saturday, the day before Father's day. Well not so. Gap doesn't tell you an expected ship date until a couple days later and now I find out that the order won't make it in time for Father's Day. I called them and told them it never said the delivery date would be so much later than 1 day, they said I should have found their delivery policy online. I asked them to refund the expedited delivery and they said they would not do that.

So you are going to hide the expected delivery date from your customer, and then won't refund the cost of the expedited shipping once it was clear that there wasn't any notification during ordering. This is BS. Gap also didn't inform me that this purchase would be a Mail Only return until after I was sent the confirmation email for the order. If I had known that you can't return the item in the store, I would have shopped somewhere else. I am NEVER using Gap online ever again. Borderline criminal.

Original review: June 6, 2018

So, I ordered a pair of shorts from them online at the store as they didn't have my size at the store. It arrived within their 5-7 business days as they said it would. But, it came with a disgusting surprise...as I opened the sealed envelope I noticed a horrible smell and a closer look into the envelope revealed splattered pieces of feces. I ordered this item on Memorial Day-so if anyone else did so also, I recommend opening your package VERY carefully. I emailed customer service last night (June 4th) and am still waiting for a response from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

Original review: May 21, 2018

My account with these businesses (Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic) is under one credit card. The account is such a mess. I was told it’s due to “agent error”. My account and orders have been merged with other customers. I closed the account. Contact Visa directly. Don’t waste your time with these fools. Get the Visa company and number off of the back of your credit card and file a complaint. File with the BBB and Consumer Affairs. I’m blown away by ALL of the complaints here. Visa needs to deal with this immediately.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I shopped at the Gap for all my kids and friends kids all the time. So, annually we spent a lot, regardless of their sales. The employees always very friendly and extremely professional (especially at West Hollywood “The Grove” location and Santa Monica location). But today, I had second very unpleasant customer service experience at the Gap in Glendale Galleria Mall located in Glendale, CA. Steer clear of this location.

The manager Alysa was horrifically loud and rude and refused to complete an exchange. This is the second time I had an issue with same manager, who at first didn’t want to give her name, laughing sarcastically. On two occasions this has happened at the Glendale Galleria Mall Baby Gap store. She refused to complete a defective item return stating out loud that “We don't accept DIRTY and worn clothes! I tried to explain and show my receipt that I bought few items on Thursday (today is Sunday) and everything looks good except one item that has a hole in it, and I honestly didn’t even pay attention when I bought it few days prior to this incident. I didn’t wash it so they can see it’s a brand new and the defect was not after washing it. Well today was the final straw. I'm going to complain to a corporate office. Steel clear of this location!!!! Gap in Glendale Galleria Mall located in Glendale, CA.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Had a few items in my cart that were on sale. Waited until today to use my GapCash voucher. What a joke. All the prices in my cart were no longer on sale. Not using the so called GapCash the day before was cheaper. Been a customer for many years. Shop for my 11 grandchildren often. No more. Done with Gap.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I just had one of the worst customer service experiences at the Gap in Bayshore Mall located in Greendale, Wisconsin. Steer clear of this location. The manager was horrifically loud and rude and did not know how to complete an online return.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My son's bookbag broke twice in one year. This is not a company to buy a bookbag for your kids to go to school. It is just as bad as Toys R Us selling bookbags that break in one month. They don't make my son's bookbag anymore, so they are giving me 15% off the next purchase. It is best to buy bookbags from L.L. Bean with a lifetime warranty.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Gap Factory Online Ordering IS HORRIBLE - The worse experience ever! The email & tracking process is horrible! After my Irena arriving a day late, it was not what I ordered! I called & finally the representative admitted that they were out of stock & sent me what they had. It didn’t matter that this is not what I ordered or that I already have 2 pair of what they sent. The representative tried very hard to convince me this what I ordered but luckily the receipt for the order showed the correct item. Admit fault! Don’t try and make your customers think they ordered the wrong thing! I’ll never order from them again! Liars! I clearly ordered the raw hem! Not the regular hem!

Original review: March 1, 2018

Gap Cash is a total scam. They advertise that you earn Gap Cash after making a purchase, but they are valid only for certain dates in the future. I put things in my cart before the Gap Cash validity dates. Once the Gap Cash validity date arrived, the same exact things I had in my cart actually ended up costing MORE even after applying the Gap Cash. They jacked up their prices for the Gap Cash dates. Complete scam.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I live in Charleston, South Carolina and this is the second time this has happened to me. I shopped at the Gap in Towne Center in Mount Pleasant. The employees always profile ** at this location. On two occasions this has happened. Well tonight was the final straw. I contacted the corporate office and I'm waiting for them to contact me. I just want to shop in peace without being followed throughout the store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I placed an order in Dec 31st. Was so excited about my order. I had ordered workout tights and shirts to go with them. More than half of my ordered was canceled. They wait to tell me on Jan 3. After only 2 items were shipped. You should know if things are out stock before you place your order. No more GAP for me. I will stick with Nike!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am really disappointed with Gap credit card. I have been using multiple different credit card. I never ever faced any problem. However, l have been still trying to delete any trace in gap account. They are not able to give good service. I used one or two times. However, it was full of problem. The website does not load well. Customer services always translate anyone else who they are, l do not even know. Always blaming another one. I was telling them l paid online and l have a confirmation number. They were told they do not have authority to canceled late fee or interest fees. It was not my fault. They said me last time you do not have any debts after this payment. Unfortunately, it was not processed it. They earned lots of late and interest fees.

Please do not use it. I had a very high credit score. Unfortunately, l lost all my good credit score because of Gap credit card. I even requested please close and l will pay how much l needed to pay in order to leave this trouble. However, always it does not work. Please do not mess your history with GAP which is just HORRIBLE AND TERRIBLE. DO NOT USE IT NO MORE. It would be my kindly suggestion.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

If possible I would give negative stars. I will never buy from Gap again. Not only have they lost a loyal customer I will make sure my family knows how absurd they are. I made a purchase over 250 during the Gap Cash period. Meaning I'm entitled to 125 Gap cash promotion code. After have calling FOUR times and being put on hold for over an HOUR each time not including the normal hold when first calling, I'm talking about being transferred to multiple departments of Gap and agents. I was never generated a code, so I was then given a code however it was invalid so I then had to call again and be placed on hold for 53 Minutes while an agent reached out to her sup for help. The outcome was unacceptable. I then asked to speak to their main manager "MIMI." HORRIBLE!!!! I mean Horrible. She was rude and very understanding about the whole situation.

She told me whatever agent I was helped by in the first place was wrong with how she offered me my $125 in credit towards my order and that I would have to spend 250 again to redeem. However after going through this whole ordeal I wanted something to be done about being given misinformation and the horrible customer service! MIMI showed to not care and even giggled when I was informing her about the whole situation. Mimi then proceeded to cut me off and say nothing could be done, after having me on hold for ONE hour just to speak to her!

I will definitely be returning everything I initially purchased and will NEVER purchase again with GAP. When I asked the main supervisor for a agent ID or last name to be able to identify the rude supervisor, I was told all she could give me is her name "MIMI" and that there is no other MIMI. So I hope Gap does a better job training their agents and a way better job at picking supervisors because after working in customer service myself I would never behave the way this disrespectful "supervisor" behaved.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have a Gap Visa and it accrues "rewards". We charge everything and pay off at the end of each month, so we have accumulated several hundred dollars worth of rewards at a time. In recent months, I see them in my statement and have let them build up to use for the holidays. When I went into the store, and they tried to ring them up. At first it accepted them, and then the site crashed. They tried repeatedly and then they wouldn't work. The cashier told me to call the credit company and ask them to reissue them. When I called, they said they couldn't help me and insisted I must have already used them, which I had not! I explained that the store took them and then the site crashed and that's likely why they appeared used. They instructed me to call the Credit Card rewards department. I called them and they said they didn't know why they wouldn't work in the store, but to try online and that should be fine.

I tried online and they STILL wouldn't work. I called the credit card company back AGAIN and got the run around several more times. Meanwhile, when I log in, sometimes $500 of rewards show up, and then when I log in the next day, NONE show up. Today I logged in and it said I only have $100 rewards! The person I spoke to yesterday admitted they've had major issues with rewards and loads of customers have been calling in, but he didn't know what to do about it. Meanwhile, GAP Visa is defaulting on over $500 these rewards that I have accrued, since I can't use them. I am so completely frustrated with this company and program.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I went GAP store to buy gift today and there one of the manager Jeneffer came to help me out and told me to open credit card to get good discount. I was with my father so I asked her if she could help me. Means my father took 15 total to purchase. She told me to place order for size which was not in store. She took more than hour to open a credit card and place a order. Took 10 times my license number and asked couple of time to enter my social. When she asked me is everything current in my license. I told her except my address everything is correct on my license. Then she was taking long time to figure out how to place order online and all the way end she told me it's done. I get out of store and thought that she did not ask my current address then how she has placed order?

I sent back and ask Rebacca. She was also a manager. She took my current address and order number and said she will update it by calling customer service. All these already make my family to wait for 15 minutes shopping. And later when I called and talked to Jene and she said it was honest mistake and she don't know solution. Customer service people neither cancel order not update address because it's in transit.

I got to update and asked her now what can you do? And she said, "Maam I don't know." I can try again to call on Monday. She put in hell situation and I am charged for order and it's not coming to my way. Worst shopping experience. She said top of that if I am not happy then I can call 1800-GAP. I hope there should be someone in GAP company who can help me out this hell situation and save my holiday time. Not to waste in this finding. Me and my Family day off become hell and tired day by GAP.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I'm a regular shopper at Gap and Old Navy, almost always online from my iPhone. However, the past few times have been a horrendous experience, enough to make me close the browser and forget even ordering anything. I end up just wanting to throw my phone against the wall due to this complete ** of a website. Not only does the page reload all the time, the sales codes do not stay applied to the customer's bag while continuing to browse.

Oh and after adding an item to your bag, trying to get back to the exact spot you were browsing is almost impossible. It will either reload due to an "error" or just take you back to the top of the page you were on and require scrolling through everything you've JUST seen to get back to your spot. This website makes me so angry, I literally cannot shop from it anymore whatsoever which sucks. It's never been a smooth running website but I've gotten past it and made my orders. Not today. Please, Gap/Old Navy and other partnering stores, fix your website!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I purchased a dress from the sale rack at a local Gap that I have shopped at for years. I did not try the dress on as I would do it at home and return if not satisfied. I was unaware and never told it was a final sale due to the price ending in.97. I tried to return, exchange or get a store credit and was told that look at my receipt the policy is listed. How am I suppose to know a final sale policy if it's on the receipt after the purchase was made? The cashier never indicated this to me. Very unhappy and I will not be shopping at Gap any longer.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Today I went to Gap to make some purchases for my son only to be rejected by the sales representative at the point of payment. This lady asked that I provide a driver’s license for a 50 dollar signed gift card I was carrying. I was going to make a 90 something dollar purchase, 50 on my gift card and the remaining on my credit card. Funny enough I actually had to walk back to my office to grab the gift card only for the inexperienced sales girl to decline. Advice, don’t go to GAP downtown if you don’t have your passport/ driver’s license. Only go there if you can’t find what you are looking for in the entire mall.

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2017

The GAP apologized and generously gave me another reward to make up for the convenience.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

In the Gap ready to pay, go into the app to get my $10 rewards. Spent the next THIRTY MINUTES getting into the 'connect your Gap card to this app' entering my info over and over again. Once I finally got in, my $10 Rewards were not shown, it said I had no rewards, when I clearly did.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I noticed after one season of wearing the tee shirts last year there were small holes in them. After reviewing the washing and drying instructions, I bought more this season and only washed on gentle and never put them in the dryer, leaving them to air dry only. What do you know? Every cotton tee shirt has holes in them. My recommendation: Don't buy Tee shirts from Gap.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Racist Cashier: GAP IN 375 US-202 STE 24, BRIDGEWATER, NJ - Today I went to buy my kids some clothing, since is the beginning of the school year, and my parents went with me. My mom was taking care of my baby niece and she needed a restroom to change her diaper, and when she went and asked for the key, this lady was extremely rude to her. My mom asked the lady "Is everything ok?" And in a disrespectful way she says "I don't even understand you" and walks away. My mom is an older lady, why would you be rude to her? We go there and buy, not to walk around and hang out, we spend our money there, and you treat us like that? I will continue to call customer service, and talk to other people so that person can get fire.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

What a bad service. I would not recommend to use GAP for an online purchases. I have ordered two items from USA Gap shop more than a month ago, but it was canceled as the order was held in the verification system for security verification. I responded in 24 hours as was requested providing all the required information. However, the order was canceled anyway. But the funds haven't been released back to my account within 30 days as promised. I contacted one of the customer care consultant with the necessary details (cardholder's name, billing address, etc.), after which I received the same message from another consultant demanding the same details (cardholder's name, etc). Seemed to be copied! So I would GAP to review their customer service work and reimburse my funds as soon as possible.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Ordered son's entire school uniform online with Gap. Used the same address I have used previously that has successfully delivered but they have changed something on post codes and it kept defaulting to the wrong post code and wouldn't accept the correct one, eventually it took my address as per my profile but my order has now been shipped to Germany and not Ireland where I live and where my address says I live. I mail first thing this morning and no one replied, I rang and was told the items were all out of stock and they would refund me the money but it would take 3/5 days. My son starts school on Wednesday and I now need to pay over the odds for a school uniform and am out of pocket until I get the refund. Will never use this store again online or off!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I placed a large order on Gap.com. I received confirmation that all my items had shipped, but when I received the package, despite the fact that all the items were listed on the package insert, one of the items was missing. I reached out to customer support for help figuring out how to handle this, and received absolutely no response, after three attempts. I was charged for the item, and have absolutely no way of actually getting it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have had the GAP silver card for years and I am a pretty good customer but EVERY time I have a problem and I need to call GAP customer service it is a huge disappointment. It is the worst I know and I really don't understand why they are so unhelpful to their customers. I will close my account with them and shop elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I purchase two items from Gap in store that were on sale. I get home and the items don't fit. I didn't try them on because I got what I know is my size is, little did I know Gap clothes are cut two sizes too big. I haven't shopped in Gap for myself in years but I do frequently buy there for my son which I no longer will be doing that; however, I tried to EXCHANGE for a smaller size but they were sold out of the exact items. I was told, "It was final sale and you are stuck with clothes you can't do anything with and you're out your money as well."

They offered no other solution. I've never had that happen ever at any store. I spend my money they usually accommodate their customers. I kindly left the items and told them to keep them because I wasn't about to bring it home to add to other clothing with tags that I can't wear. I was willing to add the difference to any item that was above the exchange. I would like to be removed from all mailing lists including the other stores. Please remove any information regarding me out of your systems.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

After many years of shopping with Gap and their sister companies, both in store and online, I recently had a disappointing encounter with them. I live overseas. One of the supposed convenience of online shopping is I can complete my back-to-school shopping online, send it to an address in the US and pick them up during my holidays or have my stuff forwarded to me. Trying to take advantage of the July 4 sale, I completed my shopping online as usual this year (2017), but got an error message. I had to call in the order and one at a time had to dictate the web ID # of each item (at least 25 items) to a customer service representative.

Anyway, the order was completed and I went about my routine. A couple of days later, we got an email from GAP's Finance Dept., letting us know that they ran into some problems verifying our account details. We immediately followed up with a call and were told they needed to verify our info, which they did before proceeding to put us on hold for at least 20 minutes to supposedly verify our details with our bank. Eventually, they came back with a story that made absolutely no sense to us. They said they couldn't complete the order. We asked why, and they just couldn't give any coherent response. We assumed it was an issue with the bank. After dropping the phone with GAP, we called the bank and the bank personnel was surprised, as they had not received any call from GAP.

He actually informed us that the sale amount from GAP was already authorized/approved by the bank, but he can't explain why the store canceled the purchase.

I sent an email explaining the situation to GAP, and received an email with them apologizing and asking that I call and they'll rectify the issue. Well, that turned out to be an absolute waste of time and money (as I was away from home and had to use my roaming service). Anyway, I think it is absolutely sad that GAP would sink to the level of making up stories due to their inadequate ability to conduct fraud check on an account. I hope more stores will come on board with adjustable waist pants for teenage-age children, as this would mark the end of my business relationship with GAP.

Gap Company Information

www.gap.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business