Gap

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have shopped at Gap for many years and LOVED their clothes, online purchasing process, and good deals, especially Gap Cash. Last holiday season I could first apply a % off coupon, and then use my Gap Cash. NO MORE!!!! WORSE THAN WORTHLESS!!!! You carefully select items for your cart.... time consuming!! Then they tell you you can't use it in combination with a % off coupon. In fact, feedback from the site said I was better off using the 50% off coupon. I'm taking my business to Abercrombie.

I have had issues with Old Navy and Gap before, this is even with original receipt, clothes not worn with tags, they will old give you depreciated value for items! I bought a pair of pants for my 15 month old with a $15 they gave me for issues I had a Gap, I paid $17 for pants the day before and today upon exchanging the pants for another one the girl at register wanted to only give me $1.94 towards my purchase! I was so annoyed I told her to call her manager and she did and he corrected her, it was right in front of her on the receipt!

The manager told me since it was a coupon it doesn't go towards your exchange. I just said serve me right for going back inside their store, will not be shopping at their stores anymore. I won't even call customer relations because I don't want your coupons I just want them to treat customers fairly and with respect. They also need to invest in getting proper training for customer service agents because after the girl at the register tried to rip me off she was cold and rude throughout the rest of the process rushing me and telling me, "Have a good day!"

I ordered a baby gift online to be shipped to a friend. The whole order was listed in stock. Four days later, I received notification that 1/3 of the outfit shipped, and that the 1/3 was on backorder and 1/3 was discontinued. Because this was a gift and ordered as so, I was extremely upset that the company would go and ship part of an outfit knowing that the rest was unavailable or on backorder. After many more calls and screw ups and frustration to rectify this situation, I was left with just a "sorry" and a ten percent discount on my next order. REALLY??? When talking to customer service, they seem to have no idea of their inventory and the order system is a catastrophe. I emailed the CEO, Art Peck about my experience and never received any response. I will never buy from this company again.

I placed an online order with Gap on a Sunday afternoon and then realized 2 minutes after placing the order that I needed to cancel it. I tried to cancel the order online but there was no option to cancel. I called customer service and was told that once the order was placed it could not be cancelled or changed. They said I could return it when I received it but it was being send as a gift to another address. I can't ask the person who is receiving to send it back as they will think it is a gift. I can't believe that they don't have a system that will allow an order to be cancel or modified. I will never order from them again.

Paid my bill in full online in May and two weeks later received a letter from CC company saying my payment didn't work and I now had a late fee. I called and they removed the late fee and let me pay via phone for free. In September I paid the bill in full online and the same thing happened (I checked my bank this time and nothing had posted). So I called them and had a late fee and again the payment had failed. THIS time, I learned that it was because I put a check number in WHICH THE WEBSITE MADE ME DO. Again, they let me pay by phone for free and reversed the late fee. Today I discovered I had interest due. I called, they reversed the interest and I canceled the card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

It was the worst experience in customer service that I had, oh my God. I've paid my statements twice and it has been returned and they have not sent me announcement and now they've closed my account without informing me!!!

Brought beach pants along with other clothes from Gap factory store on July 4 sale. Original price of $29.99. The pants got completely torn as I stretched myself while playing in beach. This happened within a week and it was such an embarrassment. Store: 07723, valid no: 4633, sale: **, beach pants: 097220 0202.

I placed a last minute online shopping order with Gap.com and paid for overnight shipping. Unfortunately, two days beyond when I should have received the package, there was no sign of the items I had ordered. I am going out of town and ordered a lot of the items specifically for this trip. I tracked the package, whose status was listed as "delivered". Yet there was no sign of any package or delivery slip, and I was home all day Friday to receive it. Slightly panicked, about packing and about a missing package bound for my home, I emailed and then called Customer Service right away.

I spoke to the most helpful and pleasant service rep, Kristie. She was attentive, listened to the issue, and offered solutions right away. She reshipped the same order, thankfully still in stock, with expedited shipping and a required signature to assure that I received the package and wasn't left waiting in limbo. It was a close call whether or not, I would get the package on time, but sure enough, Kristie got the job done. I'm a long time Gap customer and a Silver cardholder. This was the first mishap in my time as a customer and it was handled efficiently and effectively. They will keep my business, for sure!

Worst customer service!!! I had a few orders different over time that was missing items... the most recent is a chambray dress. I received several packages as the order was split (worst idea). I kept looking thinking my item would arrive... two days ago I sat at my computer and went back online - checked my order to see if I had really placed the order or it was shipped separately. Gap is showing the item shipped but I never received the item in the package. I called. They said they were out of stock. I however need to contact my credit card company and dispute the missing item. I found that very distasteful and fraud. My credit card company had nothing to do with the order. Gap got paid for something they never delivered. Gap stores too. Unhelpful associates and management. Never go back again!!!

I wish if I can give 0 stars. Worst customer service and worst card that I ever had. If you need to do dispute for transaction, it will take more than 6 months, and still not done yet. They cancelled it without letting me know. 0 stars for Gap stores too. Unhelpful associates and management. Never go back again!!!

I fell behind on my credit cards this year and naturally Gap called me to settle the payment. I went along with it, set up a payment plan to get my small balance taken care of within a few months or so. Yesterday I opened a paper statement I got in the mail from gap. I had to double check the date because after 4 months of payment (my balance should be completely paid off) it said I still owed $173. That was about how much I started with when I STARTED paying. I paid 40-45 a month the last 4 months to get that paid off. They had been charging me a $35 late fee every month!! When I called customer service today to get answers, all they said was that it is their policy to charge us late fees even when we have a payment plan because they "don't ever say we will be paying off the balance" when setting up a payment plan.

First off, I am furious that I set up a payment plan with the rep who called because apparently he did not inform me of their "policy". I would have never ever agreed to paying monthly just to only have late fees charge me. Second, the customer service did not give me any resolution for my concern. I have to now wait 7-10 days for them to listen to the phone call where I signed up for auto pay to pay off my balance. The so called "supervisor" read me the notes of someone even though that person was from a separate collection agency and they said "informed customer of late fees". Biggest BS I have ever heard!!! I will never recommend gap or old navy cards to anyone. They were not helpful at all either. I still feel left in the dark!

With great sadness I have been disposing of some of my nice tops bought at Gap as they became no good to go out with. After having washed my tops twice or more, some small holes appear in the lower front part of the top at the level of the upper stomach/waist. I thought it would be moth that have infested my clothes. But if there were moths the damage to the garments would been anywhere in the garments. And the series of small holes I have found in my Gaps tops are always in the same area. As the situation persisted even with a new lot of Gap tops I am wondering if something is wrong with the factory system -- as the holes are always in the same area. Then talking to a friend about this she said that she has got the same problem.

Gap has to see this and request its factories that produce the tops to check about this matters. Gap loses reputation with this kind of affairs. I hope they can see this matter as soon as possible. I personally will refrain of buying my tops in Gap. I have had so many garments lost in this way that I am fed up of the situation. To change my lost items is not the answer, but to look for the causes of this fault in the Gap tops as soon as possible.

I order my family some things from the Gap the Sunday before Christmas only because they were advertising if you order before Monday December 21st, the items will be delivered by Christmas eve. My family still have not received the gifts and when I tracked the package it will not be delivered to Wednesday December 30th. I understand everyone shipments were backed up but to take 9 days to ship, that's ridiculous! I will never order from GAP again. I would like to receive some kind of compensation for the inconvenience.

I was just on the phone with Gap customer service, and at the beginning of the call it said that I would be asked to take a customer service survey at the end of the call. When the customer service agent was helping me, I was confused by what she had said and asked her to repeat it on two different occasions. She became angry and had a VERY rude tone. I waited so I could report that on the customer survey at the end of the call. She said "Goodbye" but never hung up. I waited awhile but was not going to sit on the phone, until she hung up who know when that would happen! I didn't want to waste my phone minutes so I finally hung up. I guess that is one way for a bad agent to avoid getting a poor review. I will be looking at other Visa alternatives and close this account.

Placed an order with "free shipping". Order placed 12/6, shipped 7 days later and arrange for arrival an additional 8 days. A total of 15 days between order placement and delivery date. Called the order department and customer service as well as their complaint department and in each case it was "how we do business" and it was a "take it or leave it" but of course they already charged our credit card. And GAP wonders why Lands End and Joseph Bank are affecting their business not to mention that I will never ever do business with GAP again.

Stay away as far as possible... Rude customer service for 1. Called me saying they reduced my credit limit because my credit score went down. I told them that's not fair I always paid on time. I asked my balance, paid in full and closed my account... Three months later I looked at my credit score and they listed my Gap account as three months late and that they closed it. What a bunch of crock... In the process of contacting an attorney... again.

I am appalled at I could not cancel an order I placed online directly after it was submitted. I accidentally hit 'place order' and realized what I had done. I quickly found FAQs/Customer Service on their site and it said to please call some number as fast as possible, so that the order could be canceled, because their order process goes through pretty fast. I ordered online at 8:50. I called this number and 'tried' to cancel it at 8:53. The rep took about 45 seconds to verify all of my info, and directly afterwards told me 'unfortunately, I know you were quick and all, but we cannot cancel your order... And here's an alternative... Would you like for me to go ahead with this?' Ummm, I have no other choice now, do I? 3 Minutes. THREE. And I was still told I could not cancel my online order.

I am completely disgusted by this ridiculous 'policy' after having shopped at The Gap for over 25-30 yrs. Of course I will 'return to sender' once I receive the shipment, but this entire process and ordeal has infuriated me to the point where I will never visit any of their stores in malls or even online any longer. I'm a big fan of Banana Republic as well and will be canceling my card with them the minute I get into work tomorrow. I actually work for an online business, a well-known University in NYC actually, and even WE have a better process than this. I've never heard of being told to call in as fast as possible to cancel an order, and when I did, in just under 4mins, I'm still told there was nothing they could do. Really? I can't wait to tell everyone I know about this mishap, and am hoping they'll see through clearer eyes like I have, what a joke their online system is.

Sorry guys, but you need to change that FAQ to read "sorry, your order cannot be canceled. Deal with it until you get the shipment and return. Then wait about a week to have the charges reversed."... That sounds about right.

We had two unpleasant experiences at this location today. The item that I was buying had an additional 50% off. Once we got to the register, the manager told us that it was 40% my friend pointed to the manager where the sign said 50% off. However, the manager told us that she could not see that far. First of all, as a manager you should know the items that on sale or tell the customer that let me scan to be sure. Instead we got the attitude of, how poor her eyesight might be. The second incident was when I used one card and provided my ID. Then I was told to show my ID again upon giving the sales person another card. All of this within seconds for each other. This was not a pleasurable shopping experience, and to make matters worse there was no information on my receipt to write about my shopping experience. I will not be going back to this location.

I have been a consumer of Gap retail for years. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of opening a GAP Visa credit card a couple years ago and have been dealing with billing and fraud issues since then. In addition to having my credit card information stolen, I have been trying for the past 10 months to close my account due to continued fraudulent charges. Every time I close my account, due to fraud, Gap Visa then opens up another account under my name, without my consent and then I receive a statement on another account with fraudulent charges.

It appears that Gap Visa has a serious security breach and is not letting the consumers know or their billing department is so incompetent that it keeps opening up an account on closed "fraud" accounts because that is their standard practice. My advise is to NEVER open an Visa account with Gap because you will never be able to close the account and/or your personal information will be stolen and Gap will never advise you of this act. In addition, even though I like their products I will no longer shop at this retailer because it has become very clear that their accounting information is seriously flawed and therefore, any credit card information could be easily stolen due to their weak accounting system.

I used to be a very loyal customer at the Gap. Not so much anymore. Quality has been going downhill for years. Let's talk GapCash... Hmmm, I needed to spend $150 to receive $75 GapCash. So I did. I went to use my $75 dollars of GapCash. I was told I needed to spend $150 to be able to receive my $75 discount. So let's face it. You really need to spend $300 to be able to use the $75 GapCash. VERY MISLEADING. GapCash should have no strings attached once you earned it. Maybe they need to take a note from how the other retailers do the cash program.

You CANNOT(!) EXCHANGE something bought online at their store for a different size (as their receipt says you can). You must return it, re-buy the correct size, and wait for your credit to show back up. "Our registers will only allow us to handle it as a return". So infuriated that after returning the item and emailing them, they issued me credits above what I paid for the dress, so cost them more $ than if they had done the right thing. I paid off my Gap and Banana cards in their entirety tonight, and will use my rewards credits, and then cut them up and never spend a penny with that company. Breaks my heart. Love BR, but, nope.

I paid off my card and then get a letter saying I was due a refund and how do I want it. I asked for a check. They mail the check and a month later send me another letter saying they made a mistake and charged my card. Wondering if it's happened to others so they get you trapped and start charging interest and fees again. I worked hard to pay that off.

The employees were very helpful in key west.

I am so sick of being a victim of the incompetent Gap customer service and fraudulent departments! I called in to Gap 2 months ago when my account was locked online and was then told that my account had a fraudulent charge and my card was cancelled and sent a new one. They never even notified me. I had to go on vacation so I made sure that I paid all I owed so I wasn't charged a late fee. I spend nearly 6 hours on the phone that week with GAP online purchase department and went line by line of all my orders and credits and made sure I paid the exact balance minus the fraudulent charges. I just logged into my account online with the new card only to find that they never even submitted my fraudulent charge for investigation, charged me late fees for my fraudulent charge and the balance minus the fraudulent charge is also off by another $18 or something.

Their department tells me I will have to wait 60 days, they do not remove the balance, so it looks like I don't pay my bills. I told them that I do not owe them a cent and I paid off everything but the fraudulent charge, and I asked them if they are reporting me as not paying my bills and ruining my credit as a result of this, and of course they don't know and simply told me that I have to wait 60 days. Gap credit is the most incompetent credit card I have ever experienced. If they screw up my credit I will sue. Not to mention they have wasted at least $1000 worth of my time and freaking stress and grief over this. I am furious!

Horrible website. Very bad company, they switch your store credit card without notifying you. Very poor customer services. After many year being Gap customers, I will never shop at Gap and make sure my friend and family never shops at gap.

I have been a loyal customer for years. Clothes shopping for my entire family and me has been done online within Gap brands. About every 3-6 months, I was placing online orders of 30+ items at a time. My young boys are constantly in need of a new wardrobe. This worked really well for me, as shopping in a store is impossible with small children.

In the last 12 months or so, I have had nothing but issues with the online shopping platform. Regardless of my connection or device, I am unable to successfully place orders for a multitude of reasons. (Shopping cart won't load, rewards aren't added to my order, log-in is unsuccessful, etc.) Moreover, my shopping is interrupted numerous times by pages not loading.

At one point, I did call to place an order. The rep was pleasant, helpful and did offer some additional savings for my trouble, but I don't want to call every time I need to place an order. I shop online, so I don't have to deal with people. To that end, I am beyond frustrated and have begun shopping elsewhere. My loyalty lies with a company that can consistently offer me the experience I desire.

First of all, I would like to say I have been a loyal customer of Gap since my son was born and he is 22 years now. My children will go naked before I give Gap any more of my money. I visited the store in Dogwood Festival Market in Flowood, MS on Sunday, June 7, 2105, to buy my 8 year old her summer wardrobe. After shopping for awhile, I noticed they had two different signs up, one that said 40% on shorts today only and the other ones just said 30% off. Didn't say selected styles or anything. So I asked the sales guy which one was actually the right one, he said it's currently 30% not 40% that the sign just wasn't taken down. Of course, like anyone else, I asked that they honor the sign. And what he said next just blew my mind. He stated "you probably found that sign on the floor and put it up there." I mean really!!

To me that's stealing and dishonest and I promise you I have been very blessed and I don't have to beat anyone out of an extra 10%. It was just the principle of the situation. I had probably 8-9 pair of shorts in my hand because in my mind they were on sale for 40% off. Long story short, the young man went to the front and came back and said that one pair of particular shorts were actually 40% and that's it. The sign clearly said shorts 40% off today only. Excluding sleepwear. So again, he insulted my intelligence. I took the sign down, went to the register; to my surprise I got the same treatment from the cashier and the manager. I left Gap so hurt, because I just never in all my 22 years of shopping with Gap experienced this kind of treatment. If you are not going to do your job and take down sale signs when the sale ends, honor the sign.

But instead they decided to accuse the customer of picking up signs off the floor and putting them up. Who does that? Even if they were nice about it, and said "ma'am we just can't give you 40% off the shorts," I would have accepted that. But no, you want to talk to me like I was the one in the wrong, when in fact you have accused me of picking up signs off the floor and then you change and say "oh it just this one pair on sale today." I have been shopping with Gap for too long, if that was the case, the sign would have said "selected styles and not shorts on sale Today Only." To me and anyone else would know shorts, excluding sleepwear, included all shorts and not just one particular pair. And the pair that was on sale wasn't a pair I was purchasing.

The more I thought about the more upset I became, and told her that I wasn't going to purchase anything. And the cashier just looked at me with this smirk on her face and said OK. She had only rang 3-4 items up that totaled roughly $60 and she still had at least 10-12 pieces to go. So yes it would have been a great sale. They have truly lost a long time faithful customer. Gap customer service has really gone down. I will happy spend my money somewhere I'm appreciated.

Shadyside store in Pittsburgh - I had to return an online purchase to the closest store. When I was arrived I was greeted with helped employees but was given merchandise that was very wrinkled and I had asked for another pair. I could tell it bothers it. Why give me something I need to iron? Then I was coldly informed that the price wasn't the same on another exact pair that was the same item... It was a print and it was the same price. When they didn't do an even exchange and returned them, they maxed out my credit card so I had to leave the store empty handed. I didn't bring cash. I was treated rudely and they yelled at me "that's our policy!" in a rude manner so the other shoppers could hear it all. They followed me to the door like I was going to steal something.

The manager refused to give me her boss's phone number. Told me she wasn't allowed to give that inside nation out. So I guess I wasn't allowed to have a voice there if I was unhappy with my experience? I don't blame them for the policy as they had no choice in that matter but the way they handled this entire process was unprofessional and very snotty. Wow... Never again.

Overall I have only used my GAP credit card twice. I have not made any purchases using my GAP credit card in over three months. So three months later as I am at work, I received an automated voicemail from GAP fraud department claiming fraudulent activity in my account. I assume a hacker duplicated my GAP credit card, since I tend to carry the card in my wallet. I was told over the phone within three days the credit card was maxed out making such purchases of gas, I do not even have car (I live in NYC).

As I spoke to a GAP fraud representative, she bashed me regarding that I made those transactions. Firstly I work full-time, attend evening classes and take care of a household. I do not have the time or money to spend over $900 worth of gas, clothing etc. The GAP representative told me it will take 30 days to further investigate the situation.

Ten days later, I received a letter in the mail, claiming that the GAP fraud department cannot identify any unauthorized purchases in my account. It took remotely ten days for them not to do anything and to tell me that I owe over $900. Are they kidding? So I call back to reopen my case. I refuse to pay over $900 for unauthorized transactions. I have great credit history and I do not need this to affect my credit. This is unbelievable, I am so fed up with company. In fact, I am fed up with how easy it is for these hackers to steal personal information.

They switch me to electronic statements against my request for paper statements therefore it results in me not getting my statements! So no bill no payment - this has screwed up my credit and I have asked who told them to place me back on electronic statements and they avoid that question!!! This is infuriating! I got a paper bill in January - paid 100.00. The remaining balance according to Gap's customer service today was only 30.00. They switched me to paperless statements therefore I never got another bill (husband does bills) and now they want to collect 120.00! Outrageous, not only are they making billing decisions on their own they are in my opinion purposely trying to gouge consumers!

Gap Company Profile