1.31/5
  • 1 star
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

135 Gap Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

If possible I would give negative stars. I will never buy from Gap again. Not only have they lost a loyal customer I will make sure my family knows how absurd they are. I made a purchase over 250 during the Gap Cash period. Meaning I'm entitled to 125 Gap cash promotion code. After have calling FOUR times and being put on hold for over an HOUR each time not including the normal hold when first calling, I'm talking about being transferred to multiple departments of Gap and agents. I was never generated a code, so I was then given a code however it was invalid so I then had to call again and be placed on hold for 53 Minutes while an agent reached out to her sup for help. The outcome was unacceptable. I then asked to speak to their main manager "MIMI." HORRIBLE!!!! I mean Horrible. She was rude and very understanding about the whole situation.

She told me whatever agent I was helped by in the first place was wrong with how she offered me my $125 in credit towards my order and that I would have to spend 250 again to redeem. However after going through this whole ordeal I wanted something to be done about being given misinformation and the horrible customer service! MIMI showed to not care and even giggled when I was informing her about the whole situation. Mimi then proceeded to cut me off and say nothing could be done, after having me on hold for ONE hour just to speak to her!

I will definitely be returning everything I initially purchased and will NEVER purchase again with GAP. When I asked the main supervisor for a agent ID or last name to be able to identify the rude supervisor, I was told all she could give me is her name "MIMI" and that there is no other MIMI. So I hope Gap does a better job training their agents and a way better job at picking supervisors because after working in customer service myself I would never behave the way this disrespectful "supervisor" behaved.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have a Gap Visa and it accrues "rewards". We charge everything and pay off at the end of each month, so we have accumulated several hundred dollars worth of rewards at a time. In recent months, I see them in my statement and have let them build up to use for the holidays. When I went into the store, and they tried to ring them up. At first it accepted them, and then the site crashed. They tried repeatedly and then they wouldn't work. The cashier told me to call the credit company and ask them to reissue them. When I called, they said they couldn't help me and insisted I must have already used them, which I had not! I explained that the store took them and then the site crashed and that's likely why they appeared used. They instructed me to call the Credit Card rewards department. I called them and they said they didn't know why they wouldn't work in the store, but to try online and that should be fine.

I tried online and they STILL wouldn't work. I called the credit card company back AGAIN and got the run around several more times. Meanwhile, when I log in, sometimes $500 of rewards show up, and then when I log in the next day, NONE show up. Today I logged in and it said I only have $100 rewards! The person I spoke to yesterday admitted they've had major issues with rewards and loads of customers have been calling in, but he didn't know what to do about it. Meanwhile, GAP Visa is defaulting on over $500 these rewards that I have accrued, since I can't use them. I am so completely frustrated with this company and program.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I went GAP store to buy gift today and there one of the manager Jeneffer came to help me out and told me to open credit card to get good discount. I was with my father so I asked her if she could help me. Means my father took 15 total to purchase. She told me to place order for size which was not in store. She took more than hour to open a credit card and place a order. Took 10 times my license number and asked couple of time to enter my social. When she asked me is everything current in my license. I told her except my address everything is correct on my license. Then she was taking long time to figure out how to place order online and all the way end she told me it's done. I get out of store and thought that she did not ask my current address then how she has placed order?

I sent back and ask Rebacca. She was also a manager. She took my current address and order number and said she will update it by calling customer service. All these already make my family to wait for 15 minutes shopping. And later when I called and talked to Jene and she said it was honest mistake and she don't know solution. Customer service people neither cancel order not update address because it's in transit.

I got to update and asked her now what can you do? And she said, "Maam I don't know." I can try again to call on Monday. She put in hell situation and I am charged for order and it's not coming to my way. Worst shopping experience. She said top of that if I am not happy then I can call 1800-GAP. I hope there should be someone in GAP company who can help me out this hell situation and save my holiday time. Not to waste in this finding. Me and my Family day off become hell and tired day by GAP.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I'm a regular shopper at Gap and Old Navy, almost always online from my iPhone. However, the past few times have been a horrendous experience, enough to make me close the browser and forget even ordering anything. I end up just wanting to throw my phone against the wall due to this complete ** of a website. Not only does the page reload all the time, the sales codes do not stay applied to the customer's bag while continuing to browse.

Oh and after adding an item to your bag, trying to get back to the exact spot you were browsing is almost impossible. It will either reload due to an "error" or just take you back to the top of the page you were on and require scrolling through everything you've JUST seen to get back to your spot. This website makes me so angry, I literally cannot shop from it anymore whatsoever which sucks. It's never been a smooth running website but I've gotten past it and made my orders. Not today. Please, Gap/Old Navy and other partnering stores, fix your website!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I purchased a dress from the sale rack at a local Gap that I have shopped at for years. I did not try the dress on as I would do it at home and return if not satisfied. I was unaware and never told it was a final sale due to the price ending in.97. I tried to return, exchange or get a store credit and was told that look at my receipt the policy is listed. How am I suppose to know a final sale policy if it's on the receipt after the purchase was made? The cashier never indicated this to me. Very unhappy and I will not be shopping at Gap any longer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Today I went to Gap to make some purchases for my son only to be rejected by the sales representative at the point of payment. This lady asked that I provide a driver’s license for a 50 dollar signed gift card I was carrying. I was going to make a 90 something dollar purchase, 50 on my gift card and the remaining on my credit card. Funny enough I actually had to walk back to my office to grab the gift card only for the inexperienced sales girl to decline. Advice, don’t go to GAP downtown if you don’t have your passport/ driver’s license. Only go there if you can’t find what you are looking for in the entire mall.

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2017

The GAP apologized and generously gave me another reward to make up for the convenience.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

In the Gap ready to pay, go into the app to get my $10 rewards. Spent the next THIRTY MINUTES getting into the 'connect your Gap card to this app' entering my info over and over again. Once I finally got in, my $10 Rewards were not shown, it said I had no rewards, when I clearly did.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I noticed after one season of wearing the tee shirts last year there were small holes in them. After reviewing the washing and drying instructions, I bought more this season and only washed on gentle and never put them in the dryer, leaving them to air dry only. What do you know? Every cotton tee shirt has holes in them. My recommendation: Don't buy Tee shirts from Gap.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Racist Cashier: GAP IN 375 US-202 STE 24, BRIDGEWATER, NJ - Today I went to buy my kids some clothing, since is the beginning of the school year, and my parents went with me. My mom was taking care of my baby niece and she needed a restroom to change her diaper, and when she went and asked for the key, this lady was extremely rude to her. My mom asked the lady "Is everything ok?" And in a disrespectful way she says "I don't even understand you" and walks away. My mom is an older lady, why would you be rude to her? We go there and buy, not to walk around and hang out, we spend our money there, and you treat us like that? I will continue to call customer service, and talk to other people so that person can get fire.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

What a bad service. I would not recommend to use GAP for an online purchases. I have ordered two items from USA Gap shop more than a month ago, but it was canceled as the order was held in the verification system for security verification. I responded in 24 hours as was requested providing all the required information. However, the order was canceled anyway. But the funds haven't been released back to my account within 30 days as promised. I contacted one of the customer care consultant with the necessary details (cardholder's name, billing address, etc.), after which I received the same message from another consultant demanding the same details (cardholder's name, etc). Seemed to be copied! So I would GAP to review their customer service work and reimburse my funds as soon as possible.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Ordered son's entire school uniform online with Gap. Used the same address I have used previously that has successfully delivered but they have changed something on post codes and it kept defaulting to the wrong post code and wouldn't accept the correct one, eventually it took my address as per my profile but my order has now been shipped to Germany and not Ireland where I live and where my address says I live. I mail first thing this morning and no one replied, I rang and was told the items were all out of stock and they would refund me the money but it would take 3/5 days. My son starts school on Wednesday and I now need to pay over the odds for a school uniform and am out of pocket until I get the refund. Will never use this store again online or off!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I placed a large order on Gap.com. I received confirmation that all my items had shipped, but when I received the package, despite the fact that all the items were listed on the package insert, one of the items was missing. I reached out to customer support for help figuring out how to handle this, and received absolutely no response, after three attempts. I was charged for the item, and have absolutely no way of actually getting it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have had the GAP silver card for years and I am a pretty good customer but EVERY time I have a problem and I need to call GAP customer service it is a huge disappointment. It is the worst I know and I really don't understand why they are so unhelpful to their customers. I will close my account with them and shop elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I purchase two items from Gap in store that were on sale. I get home and the items don't fit. I didn't try them on because I got what I know is my size is, little did I know Gap clothes are cut two sizes too big. I haven't shopped in Gap for myself in years but I do frequently buy there for my son which I no longer will be doing that; however, I tried to EXCHANGE for a smaller size but they were sold out of the exact items. I was told, "It was final sale and you are stuck with clothes you can't do anything with and you're out your money as well."

They offered no other solution. I've never had that happen ever at any store. I spend my money they usually accommodate their customers. I kindly left the items and told them to keep them because I wasn't about to bring it home to add to other clothing with tags that I can't wear. I was willing to add the difference to any item that was above the exchange. I would like to be removed from all mailing lists including the other stores. Please remove any information regarding me out of your systems.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

After many years of shopping with Gap and their sister companies, both in store and online, I recently had a disappointing encounter with them. I live overseas. One of the supposed convenience of online shopping is I can complete my back-to-school shopping online, send it to an address in the US and pick them up during my holidays or have my stuff forwarded to me. Trying to take advantage of the July 4 sale, I completed my shopping online as usual this year (2017), but got an error message. I had to call in the order and one at a time had to dictate the web ID # of each item (at least 25 items) to a customer service representative.

Anyway, the order was completed and I went about my routine. A couple of days later, we got an email from GAP's Finance Dept., letting us know that they ran into some problems verifying our account details. We immediately followed up with a call and were told they needed to verify our info, which they did before proceeding to put us on hold for at least 20 minutes to supposedly verify our details with our bank. Eventually, they came back with a story that made absolutely no sense to us. They said they couldn't complete the order. We asked why, and they just couldn't give any coherent response. We assumed it was an issue with the bank. After dropping the phone with GAP, we called the bank and the bank personnel was surprised, as they had not received any call from GAP.

He actually informed us that the sale amount from GAP was already authorized/approved by the bank, but he can't explain why the store canceled the purchase.

I sent an email explaining the situation to GAP, and received an email with them apologizing and asking that I call and they'll rectify the issue. Well, that turned out to be an absolute waste of time and money (as I was away from home and had to use my roaming service). Anyway, I think it is absolutely sad that GAP would sink to the level of making up stories due to their inadequate ability to conduct fraud check on an account. I hope more stores will come on board with adjustable waist pants for teenage-age children, as this would mark the end of my business relationship with GAP.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Gap cancelled my order twice and never followed up to make it right. I called and talked to a service representative to have the item reordered after it was cancelled and was told the item was in stock. Five days later the order was cancelled again, and nothing was done about it. They have since not responded to any of my emails. I'm pretty upset because I was looking forward to getting the item and the experience ended up being very frustrating and disappointing. I will not be buying from this company again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I love shopping at the Gap and I have no problem with any of the other clothing. But the tank tops and tee shirts all get holes in the bottom of them. Pretty much after you wash it once. The quality is not worth the price. Old Navy is cheaper and their shirts don't get holes. It has happened so many times to so many of the Gap shirts I can't keep count. I have told the sale people too. I won't buy tops at the Gap anymore if this keeps happening.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Select cardholders were automatically upgraded to Gap Visa Signature cards in January. Due to a "glitch", rewards were not issued with the January statement. I contacted customer service and was told they would just be issued with my next statement. Great. I was bummed to wait, but I had a lot of rewards coming so thought I would go on a shopping spree the next month. Wrong. They have a limit of $250 in rewards issued each billing cycle. I use my card a lot and with reward promos have racked up a lot of reward points. So I got the $250 max, but more than $250 more rolled to the next month. The $243 I was supposed to get in January was included in this. The problem is that I earn so many rewards, unless I just stop using my card for a month I will in theory never get those rewards that were missing in January. However, I will forfeit earning the same amount for that month as well.

Calling customer service is a joke. First, unless you ask for a supervisor or a US based rep, it is virtually impossible to get the person on the other line to understand what you are saying. The real problem is that even after getting someone who finally understood, they had to kick it to the rewards department and said it would take up to two statement cycles to resolve. Apparently it takes an act of Congress to just force/manually issue rewards certificates. I am baffled that this specific circumstance was not foreseen by at least one person at the Company. I can't be the only customer who has a large number of rewards and is getting screwed out of them unless they stop using their card, which I thought was one of the ways credit card company actually made money??? It is the only way they will make money with my account, as I pay off my balance every month.

I am starting to think this was simply a way to "save" a significant amount of money for one month to beef up their financials. I am already looking at alternative cards. This is so ridiculous it is not worth the effort anymore to get fixed. I have already spent hours on the phone with various customer service reps to trying to get this resolved.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I have used a GAP Visa card for more than 5 years with no problems - paid in full every month, no overcharges, no interest. But last month I tried to use auto-bill payment from my checking account to pay my credit card bill. Apparently my bank failed to make the payment appropriately and that would have worked out ok if I received an email/text message from Synchrony Bank telling me no payment was applied. But instead I started receiving harassing phone calls at home and on my cell #. Once I realized what had happened I sent the full amount of the previous month plus this current month to Synchrony to clear the debt. But that did not stop the harassing phone calls. I shredded the card and canceled it, but the call continued. This bank and credit group are vicious and predatory and will not leave you alone even when you do the right thing. DO NOT USE THEIR CREDIT!!!

Original review: March 7, 2017

I have used Gap.com many times and even have their credit card but too many bad customer service and technology issues have me canceling the card and going elsewhere to do my shopping. Several times, I receive emails days or a week later indicating an item is no longer available. Typically when I shop, if an item is not available I know right away but not here! Also, it takes 2-3 billing cycles for any rewards points that I used to show back up in my account. So now I have to set an appointment on my calendar to make sure they've been restored to my account because last time this happened they were not and it took three phones calls to make the situation right. Customer Service couldn't care less and Corporate does nothing to make their Customer Service better.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Three times in the past few months I have tried to buy some shirts from GapFit. Each time, they had various promotion codes at the top which would have made the shirts' prices more affordable and appropriate. Each time, the promo code failed, with no explanation. No real solution from customer service, no explanation. I used to be a fan, but they just lost me as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

After getting a GAP gift card, I ordered what I liked online - I thought. They sent something similar but not the same. Do their fulfillment staff think customers are too stupid to notice? When I called to straighten out the problem, the customer service agent was not helpful, so I asked to speak with her supervisor. The supervisor was able to find the item with a nation-wide inventory search. She says they'll send it to me. I hope so, I'll have to see. Bottom line, bad internet ordering experience with GAP, due to frustration and inconvenience. If you have to order through them and experience a problem, deal with the managers/supervisors if you want satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

We paid extra for delivery by 24 December. When we checked the shipping company it showed 27 December. A call to customer service, we were assured that it would arrive. It did not. It is very clear that the Gap only paid for delivery by 27 December, not the service that we were promised and for which we paid.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Ordered my niece two items on December 4. Was told I would get in 8-12 days. Today is the 12th day - December 16. I tried to call twice and held over 30 minutes first time, then got disconnected. Held even longer on 2nd call. I have no way of finding out if I am even getting this order. It still shows pending shipment. Not back order, not in stock. Terrible company. Should not be able to treat consumers this way. I will never use this company again. I finally got a hold of someone, who said that she would send a email to the warehouse to try and cancel. If successful I would get a email confirming it. I will fight with Credit Card company and not accept. They cannot guarantee delivery to a consumer, and then totally disregard the promise.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have used Gap.com a couple of times... I did my last purchase on Nov 28th. 2 items out of the 28 got shipped... Remaining 26 items have been pending ever since. I have done numerous International phone calls to follow up on my shipment - Last time Customer Service answered me was a week ago and they promised the pending items will be delivered to my NY address by YESTERDAY! Funny enough, nothing got shipped yet and one of the items got cancelled as it was no longer available in stock. They send me an email with a 10% discount which I really do not care about. I have been trying to reach out to their customer service since yesterday and every time I call I get put on hold for ages and then I hang up. I sent a couple of emails yesterday... no response.

I have been extremely patient but at the same time I can not understand how a company like GAP that has been in the business for so many years failed operationally to live up to the expectations of the customers. I am sure this scenario happens every year around this time and your operations need to be handled in a better way moving forward! I am fed up with waiting on the line no matter what time of the day I call.. I even tried reaching them through their Twitter account, no answer...

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I wish I'd read the reviews prior to ordering and I would have skipped this adventure altogether. I shopped for a gift at the local Gap store but was unable to find the size jeans I was looking for. I decided to order at home. I ordered the wrong style and after completing the order (late in the evening), I immediately realized my mistake. The website had two locations for how to cancel or change an order, but they both led to the same page, suggesting either a phone call or an e-mail.

Since it was after the stipulated hours of business, I opted for an e-mail. I included my order number and the corrections I needed and offered canceling as an option as well and waited for a reply. None came. This was on the 5th of December. I additionally called the next day to speak to an individual and was put on hold so long that it became useless to continue. I waited a week for a reply to my email with none ever coming and then received an email on the 9th that my order was on its way. I sent another email complaining about the wasted postage of having to return something I had tried to cancel and that e-mail never received a response. I ordered a substitute pair on the 10th and had to pay even more for postage to try to get the item in time for the gifting.

Had my son not requested this specific item for Christmas, I would not have ordered a 2nd time. I am out now $17.00 for shipping just to get a pair in time and I will never do business with this company again. By the way, I took their so-called "customer survey" online upon receiving my order confirmation notice and told them about all the problems I'd had and gave them a very poor rating. I do not expect to hear from them this time either. Their email "hotline" is a sham. They offer no customer resolution. What if a person were deaf and could not use a phone? Who are these people???

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I made a purchase online and paid $17 for expedited shipping. I called to change the shipping address and spent an hour on hold and still never spoke to anyone. I emailed customer support and received an automated email stating I would receive a response within 24 hours. I never received a response. I received my purchase 4 days after the expected (and paid for expedited) delivery date. I never reached anyone for a refund on my shipping (standard shipping was free). But I received another automated email with 50% off my next purchase for my troubles (which I had to use within the week).

I used the 50% off coupon and, again, tried to call customer service regarding the order. I, again, waited on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up and just emailing customer support. I still never received a response. Customer service for Gap is subpar and frustrating. I understand it is a busy time of year, but totally neglecting to respond even to an email (it has now been 2 weeks since the original email and 1 week since the second email) is unacceptable. I will not be making any more online purchases from Gap. Very disappointed in the last couple of experiences.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I have shopped at Gap for many years and LOVED their clothes, online purchasing process, and good deals, especially Gap Cash. Last holiday season I could first apply a % off coupon, and then use my Gap Cash. NO MORE!!!! WORSE THAN WORTHLESS!!!! You carefully select items for your cart.... time consuming!! Then they tell you you can't use it in combination with a % off coupon. In fact, feedback from the site said I was better off using the 50% off coupon. I'm taking my business to Abercrombie.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I have had issues with Old Navy and Gap before, this is even with original receipt, clothes not worn with tags, they will old give you depreciated value for items! I bought a pair of pants for my 15 month old with a $15 they gave me for issues I had a Gap, I paid $17 for pants the day before and today upon exchanging the pants for another one the girl at register wanted to only give me $1.94 towards my purchase! I was so annoyed I told her to call her manager and she did and he corrected her, it was right in front of her on the receipt!

The manager told me since it was a coupon it doesn't go towards your exchange. I just said serve me right for going back inside their store, will not be shopping at their stores anymore. I won't even call customer relations because I don't want your coupons I just want them to treat customers fairly and with respect. They also need to invest in getting proper training for customer service agents because after the girl at the register tried to rip me off she was cold and rude throughout the rest of the process rushing me and telling me, "Have a good day!"

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I ordered a baby gift online to be shipped to a friend. The whole order was listed in stock. Four days later, I received notification that 1/3 of the outfit shipped, and that the 1/3 was on backorder and 1/3 was discontinued. Because this was a gift and ordered as so, I was extremely upset that the company would go and ship part of an outfit knowing that the rest was unavailable or on backorder. After many more calls and screw ups and frustration to rectify this situation, I was left with just a "sorry" and a ten percent discount on my next order. REALLY??? When talking to customer service, they seem to have no idea of their inventory and the order system is a catastrophe. I emailed the CEO, Art Peck about my experience and never received any response. I will never buy from this company again.

Gap Company Information