1.32/5
Based on 99 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Gap

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

130 Gap Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Today I went to Gap to make some purchases for my son only to be rejected by the sales representative at the point of payment. This lady asked that I provide a driver’s license for a 50 dollar signed gift card I was carrying. I was going to make a 90 something dollar purchase, 50 on my gift card and the remaining on my credit card. Funny enough I actually had to walk back to my office to grab the gift card only for the inexperienced sales girl to decline. Advice, don’t go to GAP downtown if you don’t have your passport/ driver’s license. Only go there if you can’t find what you are looking for in the entire mall.

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2017

The GAP apologized and generously gave me another reward to make up for the convenience.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

In the Gap ready to pay, go into the app to get my $10 rewards. Spent the next THIRTY MINUTES getting into the 'connect your Gap card to this app' entering my info over and over again. Once I finally got in, my $10 Rewards were not shown, it said I had no rewards, when I clearly did.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I noticed after one season of wearing the tee shirts last year there were small holes in them. After reviewing the washing and drying instructions, I bought more this season and only washed on gentle and never put them in the dryer, leaving them to air dry only. What do you know? Every cotton tee shirt has holes in them. My recommendation: Don't buy Tee shirts from Gap.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Racist Cashier: GAP IN 375 US-202 STE 24, BRIDGEWATER, NJ - Today I went to buy my kids some clothing, since is the beginning of the school year, and my parents went with me. My mom was taking care of my baby niece and she needed a restroom to change her diaper, and when she went and asked for the key, this lady was extremely rude to her. My mom asked the lady "Is everything ok?" And in a disrespectful way she says "I don't even understand you" and walks away. My mom is an older lady, why would you be rude to her? We go there and buy, not to walk around and hang out, we spend our money there, and you treat us like that? I will continue to call customer service, and talk to other people so that person can get fire.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

What a bad service. I would not recommend to use GAP for an online purchases. I have ordered two items from USA Gap shop more than a month ago, but it was canceled as the order was held in the verification system for security verification. I responded in 24 hours as was requested providing all the required information. However, the order was canceled anyway. But the funds haven't been released back to my account within 30 days as promised. I contacted one of the customer care consultant with the necessary details (cardholder's name, billing address, etc.), after which I received the same message from another consultant demanding the same details (cardholder's name, etc). Seemed to be copied! So I would GAP to review their customer service work and reimburse my funds as soon as possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Ordered son's entire school uniform online with Gap. Used the same address I have used previously that has successfully delivered but they have changed something on post codes and it kept defaulting to the wrong post code and wouldn't accept the correct one, eventually it took my address as per my profile but my order has now been shipped to Germany and not Ireland where I live and where my address says I live. I mail first thing this morning and no one replied, I rang and was told the items were all out of stock and they would refund me the money but it would take 3/5 days. My son starts school on Wednesday and I now need to pay over the odds for a school uniform and am out of pocket until I get the refund. Will never use this store again online or off!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I placed a large order on Gap.com. I received confirmation that all my items had shipped, but when I received the package, despite the fact that all the items were listed on the package insert, one of the items was missing. I reached out to customer support for help figuring out how to handle this, and received absolutely no response, after three attempts. I was charged for the item, and have absolutely no way of actually getting it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have had the GAP silver card for years and I am a pretty good customer but EVERY time I have a problem and I need to call GAP customer service it is a huge disappointment. It is the worst I know and I really don't understand why they are so unhelpful to their customers. I will close my account with them and shop elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I purchase two items from Gap in store that were on sale. I get home and the items don't fit. I didn't try them on because I got what I know is my size is, little did I know Gap clothes are cut two sizes too big. I haven't shopped in Gap for myself in years but I do frequently buy there for my son which I no longer will be doing that; however, I tried to EXCHANGE for a smaller size but they were sold out of the exact items. I was told, "It was final sale and you are stuck with clothes you can't do anything with and you're out your money as well."

They offered no other solution. I've never had that happen ever at any store. I spend my money they usually accommodate their customers. I kindly left the items and told them to keep them because I wasn't about to bring it home to add to other clothing with tags that I can't wear. I was willing to add the difference to any item that was above the exchange. I would like to be removed from all mailing lists including the other stores. Please remove any information regarding me out of your systems.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

After many years of shopping with Gap and their sister companies, both in store and online, I recently had a disappointing encounter with them. I live overseas. One of the supposed convenience of online shopping is I can complete my back-to-school shopping online, send it to an address in the US and pick them up during my holidays or have my stuff forwarded to me. Trying to take advantage of the July 4 sale, I completed my shopping online as usual this year (2017), but got an error message. I had to call in the order and one at a time had to dictate the web ID # of each item (at least 25 items) to a customer service representative.

Anyway, the order was completed and I went about my routine. A couple of days later, we got an email from GAP's Finance Dept., letting us know that they ran into some problems verifying our account details. We immediately followed up with a call and were told they needed to verify our info, which they did before proceeding to put us on hold for at least 20 minutes to supposedly verify our details with our bank. Eventually, they came back with a story that made absolutely no sense to us. They said they couldn't complete the order. We asked why, and they just couldn't give any coherent response. We assumed it was an issue with the bank. After dropping the phone with GAP, we called the bank and the bank personnel was surprised, as they had not received any call from GAP.

He actually informed us that the sale amount from GAP was already authorized/approved by the bank, but he can't explain why the store canceled the purchase.

I sent an email explaining the situation to GAP, and received an email with them apologizing and asking that I call and they'll rectify the issue. Well, that turned out to be an absolute waste of time and money (as I was away from home and had to use my roaming service). Anyway, I think it is absolutely sad that GAP would sink to the level of making up stories due to their inadequate ability to conduct fraud check on an account. I hope more stores will come on board with adjustable waist pants for teenage-age children, as this would mark the end of my business relationship with GAP.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Gap cancelled my order twice and never followed up to make it right. I called and talked to a service representative to have the item reordered after it was cancelled and was told the item was in stock. Five days later the order was cancelled again, and nothing was done about it. They have since not responded to any of my emails. I'm pretty upset because I was looking forward to getting the item and the experience ended up being very frustrating and disappointing. I will not be buying from this company again.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I love shopping at the Gap and I have no problem with any of the other clothing. But the tank tops and tee shirts all get holes in the bottom of them. Pretty much after you wash it once. The quality is not worth the price. Old Navy is cheaper and their shirts don't get holes. It has happened so many times to so many of the Gap shirts I can't keep count. I have told the sale people too. I won't buy tops at the Gap anymore if this keeps happening.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Select cardholders were automatically upgraded to Gap Visa Signature cards in January. Due to a "glitch", rewards were not issued with the January statement. I contacted customer service and was told they would just be issued with my next statement. Great. I was bummed to wait, but I had a lot of rewards coming so thought I would go on a shopping spree the next month. Wrong. They have a limit of $250 in rewards issued each billing cycle. I use my card a lot and with reward promos have racked up a lot of reward points. So I got the $250 max, but more than $250 more rolled to the next month. The $243 I was supposed to get in January was included in this. The problem is that I earn so many rewards, unless I just stop using my card for a month I will in theory never get those rewards that were missing in January. However, I will forfeit earning the same amount for that month as well.

Calling customer service is a joke. First, unless you ask for a supervisor or a US based rep, it is virtually impossible to get the person on the other line to understand what you are saying. The real problem is that even after getting someone who finally understood, they had to kick it to the rewards department and said it would take up to two statement cycles to resolve. Apparently it takes an act of Congress to just force/manually issue rewards certificates. I am baffled that this specific circumstance was not foreseen by at least one person at the Company. I can't be the only customer who has a large number of rewards and is getting screwed out of them unless they stop using their card, which I thought was one of the ways credit card company actually made money??? It is the only way they will make money with my account, as I pay off my balance every month.

I am starting to think this was simply a way to "save" a significant amount of money for one month to beef up their financials. I am already looking at alternative cards. This is so ridiculous it is not worth the effort anymore to get fixed. I have already spent hours on the phone with various customer service reps to trying to get this resolved.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I have used a GAP Visa card for more than 5 years with no problems - paid in full every month, no overcharges, no interest. But last month I tried to use auto-bill payment from my checking account to pay my credit card bill. Apparently my bank failed to make the payment appropriately and that would have worked out ok if I received an email/text message from Synchrony Bank telling me no payment was applied. But instead I started receiving harassing phone calls at home and on my cell #. Once I realized what had happened I sent the full amount of the previous month plus this current month to Synchrony to clear the debt. But that did not stop the harassing phone calls. I shredded the card and canceled it, but the call continued. This bank and credit group are vicious and predatory and will not leave you alone even when you do the right thing. DO NOT USE THEIR CREDIT!!!

Original review: March 7, 2017

I have used Gap.com many times and even have their credit card but too many bad customer service and technology issues have me canceling the card and going elsewhere to do my shopping. Several times, I receive emails days or a week later indicating an item is no longer available. Typically when I shop, if an item is not available I know right away but not here! Also, it takes 2-3 billing cycles for any rewards points that I used to show back up in my account. So now I have to set an appointment on my calendar to make sure they've been restored to my account because last time this happened they were not and it took three phones calls to make the situation right. Customer Service couldn't care less and Corporate does nothing to make their Customer Service better.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Three times in the past few months I have tried to buy some shirts from GapFit. Each time, they had various promotion codes at the top which would have made the shirts' prices more affordable and appropriate. Each time, the promo code failed, with no explanation. No real solution from customer service, no explanation. I used to be a fan, but they just lost me as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

After getting a GAP gift card, I ordered what I liked online - I thought. They sent something similar but not the same. Do their fulfillment staff think customers are too stupid to notice? When I called to straighten out the problem, the customer service agent was not helpful, so I asked to speak with her supervisor. The supervisor was able to find the item with a nation-wide inventory search. She says they'll send it to me. I hope so, I'll have to see. Bottom line, bad internet ordering experience with GAP, due to frustration and inconvenience. If you have to order through them and experience a problem, deal with the managers/supervisors if you want satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

We paid extra for delivery by 24 December. When we checked the shipping company it showed 27 December. A call to customer service, we were assured that it would arrive. It did not. It is very clear that the Gap only paid for delivery by 27 December, not the service that we were promised and for which we paid.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Ordered my niece two items on December 4. Was told I would get in 8-12 days. Today is the 12th day - December 16. I tried to call twice and held over 30 minutes first time, then got disconnected. Held even longer on 2nd call. I have no way of finding out if I am even getting this order. It still shows pending shipment. Not back order, not in stock. Terrible company. Should not be able to treat consumers this way. I will never use this company again. I finally got a hold of someone, who said that she would send a email to the warehouse to try and cancel. If successful I would get a email confirming it. I will fight with Credit Card company and not accept. They cannot guarantee delivery to a consumer, and then totally disregard the promise.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have used Gap.com a couple of times... I did my last purchase on Nov 28th. 2 items out of the 28 got shipped... Remaining 26 items have been pending ever since. I have done numerous International phone calls to follow up on my shipment - Last time Customer Service answered me was a week ago and they promised the pending items will be delivered to my NY address by YESTERDAY! Funny enough, nothing got shipped yet and one of the items got cancelled as it was no longer available in stock. They send me an email with a 10% discount which I really do not care about. I have been trying to reach out to their customer service since yesterday and every time I call I get put on hold for ages and then I hang up. I sent a couple of emails yesterday... no response.

I have been extremely patient but at the same time I can not understand how a company like GAP that has been in the business for so many years failed operationally to live up to the expectations of the customers. I am sure this scenario happens every year around this time and your operations need to be handled in a better way moving forward! I am fed up with waiting on the line no matter what time of the day I call.. I even tried reaching them through their Twitter account, no answer...

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I wish I'd read the reviews prior to ordering and I would have skipped this adventure altogether. I shopped for a gift at the local Gap store but was unable to find the size jeans I was looking for. I decided to order at home. I ordered the wrong style and after completing the order (late in the evening), I immediately realized my mistake. The website had two locations for how to cancel or change an order, but they both led to the same page, suggesting either a phone call or an e-mail.

Since it was after the stipulated hours of business, I opted for an e-mail. I included my order number and the corrections I needed and offered canceling as an option as well and waited for a reply. None came. This was on the 5th of December. I additionally called the next day to speak to an individual and was put on hold so long that it became useless to continue. I waited a week for a reply to my email with none ever coming and then received an email on the 9th that my order was on its way. I sent another email complaining about the wasted postage of having to return something I had tried to cancel and that e-mail never received a response. I ordered a substitute pair on the 10th and had to pay even more for postage to try to get the item in time for the gifting.

Had my son not requested this specific item for Christmas, I would not have ordered a 2nd time. I am out now $17.00 for shipping just to get a pair in time and I will never do business with this company again. By the way, I took their so-called "customer survey" online upon receiving my order confirmation notice and told them about all the problems I'd had and gave them a very poor rating. I do not expect to hear from them this time either. Their email "hotline" is a sham. They offer no customer resolution. What if a person were deaf and could not use a phone? Who are these people???

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I made a purchase online and paid $17 for expedited shipping. I called to change the shipping address and spent an hour on hold and still never spoke to anyone. I emailed customer support and received an automated email stating I would receive a response within 24 hours. I never received a response. I received my purchase 4 days after the expected (and paid for expedited) delivery date. I never reached anyone for a refund on my shipping (standard shipping was free). But I received another automated email with 50% off my next purchase for my troubles (which I had to use within the week).

I used the 50% off coupon and, again, tried to call customer service regarding the order. I, again, waited on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up and just emailing customer support. I still never received a response. Customer service for Gap is subpar and frustrating. I understand it is a busy time of year, but totally neglecting to respond even to an email (it has now been 2 weeks since the original email and 1 week since the second email) is unacceptable. I will not be making any more online purchases from Gap. Very disappointed in the last couple of experiences.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I have shopped at Gap for many years and LOVED their clothes, online purchasing process, and good deals, especially Gap Cash. Last holiday season I could first apply a % off coupon, and then use my Gap Cash. NO MORE!!!! WORSE THAN WORTHLESS!!!! You carefully select items for your cart.... time consuming!! Then they tell you you can't use it in combination with a % off coupon. In fact, feedback from the site said I was better off using the 50% off coupon. I'm taking my business to Abercrombie.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I have had issues with Old Navy and Gap before, this is even with original receipt, clothes not worn with tags, they will old give you depreciated value for items! I bought a pair of pants for my 15 month old with a $15 they gave me for issues I had a Gap, I paid $17 for pants the day before and today upon exchanging the pants for another one the girl at register wanted to only give me $1.94 towards my purchase! I was so annoyed I told her to call her manager and she did and he corrected her, it was right in front of her on the receipt!

The manager told me since it was a coupon it doesn't go towards your exchange. I just said serve me right for going back inside their store, will not be shopping at their stores anymore. I won't even call customer relations because I don't want your coupons I just want them to treat customers fairly and with respect. They also need to invest in getting proper training for customer service agents because after the girl at the register tried to rip me off she was cold and rude throughout the rest of the process rushing me and telling me, "Have a good day!"

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I ordered a baby gift online to be shipped to a friend. The whole order was listed in stock. Four days later, I received notification that 1/3 of the outfit shipped, and that the 1/3 was on backorder and 1/3 was discontinued. Because this was a gift and ordered as so, I was extremely upset that the company would go and ship part of an outfit knowing that the rest was unavailable or on backorder. After many more calls and screw ups and frustration to rectify this situation, I was left with just a "sorry" and a ten percent discount on my next order. REALLY??? When talking to customer service, they seem to have no idea of their inventory and the order system is a catastrophe. I emailed the CEO, Art Peck about my experience and never received any response. I will never buy from this company again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I placed an online order with Gap on a Sunday afternoon and then realized 2 minutes after placing the order that I needed to cancel it. I tried to cancel the order online but there was no option to cancel. I called customer service and was told that once the order was placed it could not be cancelled or changed. They said I could return it when I received it but it was being send as a gift to another address. I can't ask the person who is receiving to send it back as they will think it is a gift. I can't believe that they don't have a system that will allow an order to be cancel or modified. I will never order from them again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Paid my bill in full online in May and two weeks later received a letter from CC company saying my payment didn't work and I now had a late fee. I called and they removed the late fee and let me pay via phone for free. In September I paid the bill in full online and the same thing happened (I checked my bank this time and nothing had posted). So I called them and had a late fee and again the payment had failed. THIS time, I learned that it was because I put a check number in WHICH THE WEBSITE MADE ME DO. Again, they let me pay by phone for free and reversed the late fee. Today I discovered I had interest due. I called, they reversed the interest and I canceled the card.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

It was the worst experience in customer service that I had, oh my God. I've paid my statements twice and it has been returned and they have not sent me announcement and now they've closed my account without informing me!!!

Original review: July 10, 2016

Brought beach pants along with other clothes from Gap factory store on July 4 sale. Original price of $29.99. The pants got completely torn as I stretched myself while playing in beach. This happened within a week and it was such an embarrassment. Store: 07723, valid no: 4633, sale: **, beach pants: 097220 0202.

Original review: June 26, 2016

I placed a last minute online shopping order with Gap.com and paid for overnight shipping. Unfortunately, two days beyond when I should have received the package, there was no sign of the items I had ordered. I am going out of town and ordered a lot of the items specifically for this trip. I tracked the package, whose status was listed as "delivered". Yet there was no sign of any package or delivery slip, and I was home all day Friday to receive it. Slightly panicked, about packing and about a missing package bound for my home, I emailed and then called Customer Service right away.

I spoke to the most helpful and pleasant service rep, Kristie. She was attentive, listened to the issue, and offered solutions right away. She reshipped the same order, thankfully still in stock, with expedited shipping and a required signature to assure that I received the package and wasn't left waiting in limbo. It was a close call whether or not, I would get the package on time, but sure enough, Kristie got the job done. I'm a long time Gap customer and a Silver cardholder. This was the first mishap in my time as a customer and it was handled efficiently and effectively. They will keep my business, for sure!

Gap Company Information