1.28/5
Based on 130 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

161 Gap Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Customer service experience was horrible! Wish I could give 0 stars! I placed an order for 4 items but only received 3. Contacted customer service to find out what was going on and the rep acted so nonchalant about the entire situation. I mean like I ordered like almost 7 days ago. This was someone’s Christmas gift!!! The rep then asked me what would I like for her to do?! Really! I nicely said, "Ok so you’re the rep, you tell me what you can do! I do not work for Gap!" Just rude as ever! I am so done with the Gap! I spend my hard earned money and this is the treatment I get! Ok I’m out! Keep your job and brand with that attitude! I can purchase other branded names of clothing! ✌???

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

On 12/3/18 I ordered 5 clothing items to be delivered for Christmas as a gift for my Godson who lives in another state. On 12/14/18 his mother informed me 3 items were received. Great. I check online to see what was up with other two items and I see a status of expected delivery 12/21/18. So on 12/21/18 I called customer service because the items weren't there. I was told that these items could never be filled as they were "out of stock" and they would reverse the charges for me. That's it. No other offer to make up for what just happened.

I ordered early enough, so someone should've at least had the courtesy to contact me by phone, email or something. This is bad business practice. It was too late to have something else delivered and the manager said, yup, nothing I can do for you. It may be a scam for them to charge for items, but never deliver them (especialy gifts) unless you follow up with them. I will not be shopping with this business again and advise others to watch online gift orders to make sure they are actually delivered.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I bought a pair of Jeans at $70. Thinking I'm buying a quality product. I always thought by buying from a brand name company their product would be durable and lasting plus attractive. Even though I would love to write an essay about this because my last review actually made a Walmart in Westchester County to close. So I will conclude my review that the Jeans I bought after a year of wearing them only on weekends if not at all was the zipper broke off. I was getting dressed and about to put my zipper up on my jeans and the zipper came off. I felt ripped off after spending $70 on them. I tried getting them fixed at a tailor and he said it would cost $30 dollars to fix them. I felt horrible to know that a company as the Gap would make their products cheaply made. I fixed my problem everytime I walk by the Gap and I'm tempted to enter especially with their 50% off sales currently having. I think back on this and remind myself not to enter the Gap and waste my time.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Worst shopping experience with GAP! It was my first time shopping in GAP and worst ever experience. I ordered on Nov 23th, 2018. Ordered total 18 items and checked with GAP customer care on Dec 5th, 2018 for confirmation of delivery by Dec 11, 2018. After waiting for delivery until Dec 13th, 2018, I called GAP customer care and came to know that UPS is returning the package to GAP and UPS tracking number is not provided to me. When I connected with UPS for package, they were looking for UPS tracking number which is not provided to me by GAP. It’s really frustrating to coordinate with GAP and UPS for delivery of shipment. I have been forced to cancel the order. Never recommend anyone to use GAP products because of worst service experience!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Service was great! Jeans came in the mail fast! However, I will not shop here again because of the chemicals that are put into the jeans. The smell of formaldehyde doesn’t wash out. The blue dye turns the washer blue every time you wash. I’ve had a pair for a year now that still reeks of chemicals! Gap needs to change this issue!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gap?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My 13 year daughter wanted overall for picture day. We had a week to get them. I ordered Women’s small through the internet store. I paid 3 days shipping. They came in two days before picture day a kid’s size small. At first, they were going to overnight them at no cost. The supervisor decided that was too expensive. The nearest store is 45 minutes away. I couldn’t due to her activities. We brought something else. I told them how angry I was. A week later, we drove 45 minutes to the outlet store.

The first store tells us that we have to go to the kid's outlet for the return. I left the receipt at home. I showed them the emails with the stated price. I even called their customer service on my cell phone. I am showing them the emails. They wouldn’t refund the money. Last year, I had multiple problem with a holiday order and decided to donate them to children’s charity because it wasn’t worth the shipping or gas costs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY OR THE STORES. I am showing them emails and they refused to refund the money.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I don't usually write reviews but this just made me more than frustrated. Bought a pair of pants and signed up for their Gap card. I paid $17 for the pants and thought it went on my credit card but it went on the Gap card and they didn't mention that. So I get a letter a month later saying I owe $20 in late fees on top of what I bought the pants for. They were kind enough to waive the fees but I tried paying on their website and it didn't go through because they're site glitched so I got more late fees added on without warning which they wouldn't waive even though it was their website that glitched. Ended up paying $60 for a $20 pair of pants. I will never shop here again. Gap... you are the worst.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This company should go out of business especially since their return policy has changed from a whopping 90 days to a whopping 45! If you're smart, you will not buy their pants... Oh sure, it fits in the store but try wearing them 3 or 4 times and see that they go from a size 0 to a size 6 in no time flat. I will never ever buy another pair of any of their pants. The above pants were the absolute worse... Great fit in the store but after that those things made me look like bag lady! To top it off I just had to waste money on two pairs. Second never worn with tags and receipt... Nothing they will do about it! AGAIN, GET OUT OF TOWN GAP.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My order experience online order has been upsetting. They have emailed receiving party- without me EVER giving receiver's email or phone number- the confirmation that the order is coming. I have no idea where they have gotten private information about receiver, it is scary to know they do this. My phone conversation with customer rep and supervisor was useless, they never answered the question and were rude on the phone, just confirming useless info with me over and over. I will not shop at GAP anymore. I can't shop where I don't trust.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I ordered 6 items on July 25th and kept 1, a black cardigan. I sent the 5 others back (4 dresses and a kimono). I received the order back in the mail a couple of weeks later with a return slip that was marked "wash/worn". I never even tried the items on but notice that one of the items, a yellow dress, smelled strongly of perfume, however I didn't notice when I received it the first time because all the items were in plastic bags. The yellow dress was never removed from the bag. Gap sent it to me that way. I don't even own perfume. I have very bad allergies. I returned the items again with a fresh return slip and they again returned the whole thing back to me.

All items that I returned were still in plastic bags the first time and the second time they were not because Gap sent them back to me this way. This is so unfair. A stupid yellow dress that I didn't even try on because it was fluorescent in person, someone else had perfume on and now I'm stuck with a bunch of stuff that is too big... And now it is 60 days since the purchase was made. I will never buy from Gap, Old Navy or Banana Republic again... Hey Gap warehouse, distribution center, make sure you don't send us items that have been washed, worn or perfumed!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I purchased a sweater. It shrunk. I returned it with the packing slip. It was returned to me with a note that said, “Can’t be returned: washed”. Are we not supposed to be able to wash sweaters? Are we supposed to just wear them over and over? There were no special instructions. It wasn’t cashmere. It didn’t say dry clean only. I hate this store.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I ordered a gray 4th of July dinosaur shirt for my grandson.This was 2 months ago and it arrived today. The package and shirt were damaged. Looked like burn marks. FedEx would not take it back because they said my return label was wrong. So frustrated that I trashed the package at the FedEx store. It was only 12 bucks but now my grand daughters get a 4th shirt and my grandson doesn’t... will never order from Gap again.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Called 1-800-427-7895 June 22 looking for an item. Vanessa was FANTASTIC looking in different areas (she thought it might have been in the US that I had seen it, while I am online in Canada). Unfortunately we got cut off. When I called back I saw MUDTAR who said, "IF IT'S NOT ON THE WEBSITE, THEN WE DON'T HAVE IT," & who couldn't switch me to Vanessa. WOW. How unhelpful was that? Customer DISservice, MUDTAR. Vanessa was looking around the site to see if she could find what I was describing (a matching top to a dress).

Original review: June 16, 2018

I ordered a couple shirts for my Dad for Father's day. I used the expedited 1 day shipping. I ordered them on a Thursday thinking that the order would be processed on Friday and delivered on Saturday, the day before Father's day. Well not so. Gap doesn't tell you an expected ship date until a couple days later and now I find out that the order won't make it in time for Father's Day. I called them and told them it never said the delivery date would be so much later than 1 day, they said I should have found their delivery policy online. I asked them to refund the expedited delivery and they said they would not do that.

So you are going to hide the expected delivery date from your customer, and then won't refund the cost of the expedited shipping once it was clear that there wasn't any notification during ordering. This is BS. Gap also didn't inform me that this purchase would be a Mail Only return until after I was sent the confirmation email for the order. If I had known that you can't return the item in the store, I would have shopped somewhere else. I am NEVER using Gap online ever again. Borderline criminal.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I ordered a pair of sunglasses, confirmed the store for pick up and received an email stating that the item was being held for me to pick up. When I arrived at the store to pick it up, I was informed that they don't even carry sunglasses?!! The manager told me that it happens all the time and they don't even know if the item is at the store when they send you an email telling you to pick it up?! Same thing with Old Navy, charged me for an item, then sent me an email and said they don't have it and I'd get a refund within 3-5 days. Same Company, horrible system!

Original review: June 6, 2018

So, I ordered a pair of shorts from them online at the store as they didn't have my size at the store. It arrived within their 5-7 business days as they said it would. But, it came with a disgusting surprise...as I opened the sealed envelope I noticed a horrible smell and a closer look into the envelope revealed splattered pieces of feces. I ordered this item on Memorial Day-so if anyone else did so also, I recommend opening your package VERY carefully. I emailed customer service last night (June 4th) and am still waiting for a response from them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My account with these businesses (Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic) is under one credit card. The account is such a mess. I was told it’s due to “agent error”. My account and orders have been merged with other customers. I closed the account. Contact Visa directly. Don’t waste your time with these fools. Get the Visa company and number off of the back of your credit card and file a complaint. File with the BBB and Consumer Affairs. I’m blown away by ALL of the complaints here. Visa needs to deal with this immediately.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I shopped at the Gap for all my kids and friends kids all the time. So, annually we spent a lot, regardless of their sales. The employees always very friendly and extremely professional (especially at West Hollywood “The Grove” location and Santa Monica location). But today, I had second very unpleasant customer service experience at the Gap in Glendale Galleria Mall located in Glendale, CA. Steer clear of this location.

The manager Alysa was horrifically loud and rude and refused to complete an exchange. This is the second time I had an issue with same manager, who at first didn’t want to give her name, laughing sarcastically. On two occasions this has happened at the Glendale Galleria Mall Baby Gap store. She refused to complete a defective item return stating out loud that “We don't accept DIRTY and worn clothes! I tried to explain and show my receipt that I bought few items on Thursday (today is Sunday) and everything looks good except one item that has a hole in it, and I honestly didn’t even pay attention when I bought it few days prior to this incident. I didn’t wash it so they can see it’s a brand new and the defect was not after washing it. Well today was the final straw. I'm going to complain to a corporate office. Steel clear of this location!!!! Gap in Glendale Galleria Mall located in Glendale, CA.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Had a few items in my cart that were on sale. Waited until today to use my GapCash voucher. What a joke. All the prices in my cart were no longer on sale. Not using the so called GapCash the day before was cheaper. Been a customer for many years. Shop for my 11 grandchildren often. No more. Done with Gap.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I just had one of the worst customer service experiences at the Gap in Bayshore Mall located in Greendale, Wisconsin. Steer clear of this location. The manager was horrifically loud and rude and did not know how to complete an online return.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My son's bookbag broke twice in one year. This is not a company to buy a bookbag for your kids to go to school. It is just as bad as Toys R Us selling bookbags that break in one month. They don't make my son's bookbag anymore, so they are giving me 15% off the next purchase. It is best to buy bookbags from L.L. Bean with a lifetime warranty.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Gap Factory Online Ordering IS HORRIBLE - The worse experience ever! The email & tracking process is horrible! After my Irena arriving a day late, it was not what I ordered! I called & finally the representative admitted that they were out of stock & sent me what they had. It didn’t matter that this is not what I ordered or that I already have 2 pair of what they sent. The representative tried very hard to convince me this what I ordered but luckily the receipt for the order showed the correct item. Admit fault! Don’t try and make your customers think they ordered the wrong thing! I’ll never order from them again! Liars! I clearly ordered the raw hem! Not the regular hem!

Original review: March 1, 2018

Gap Cash is a total scam. They advertise that you earn Gap Cash after making a purchase, but they are valid only for certain dates in the future. I put things in my cart before the Gap Cash validity dates. Once the Gap Cash validity date arrived, the same exact things I had in my cart actually ended up costing MORE even after applying the Gap Cash. They jacked up their prices for the Gap Cash dates. Complete scam.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I live in Charleston, South Carolina and this is the second time this has happened to me. I shopped at the Gap in Towne Center in Mount Pleasant. The employees always profile ** at this location. On two occasions this has happened. Well tonight was the final straw. I contacted the corporate office and I'm waiting for them to contact me. I just want to shop in peace without being followed throughout the store.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I placed an order in Dec 31st. Was so excited about my order. I had ordered workout tights and shirts to go with them. More than half of my ordered was canceled. They wait to tell me on Jan 3. After only 2 items were shipped. You should know if things are out stock before you place your order. No more GAP for me. I will stick with Nike!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I am really disappointed with Gap credit card. I have been using multiple different credit card. I never ever faced any problem. However, l have been still trying to delete any trace in gap account. They are not able to give good service. I used one or two times. However, it was full of problem. The website does not load well. Customer services always translate anyone else who they are, l do not even know. Always blaming another one. I was telling them l paid online and l have a confirmation number. They were told they do not have authority to canceled late fee or interest fees. It was not my fault. They said me last time you do not have any debts after this payment. Unfortunately, it was not processed it. They earned lots of late and interest fees.

Please do not use it. I had a very high credit score. Unfortunately, l lost all my good credit score because of Gap credit card. I even requested please close and l will pay how much l needed to pay in order to leave this trouble. However, always it does not work. Please do not mess your history with GAP which is just HORRIBLE AND TERRIBLE. DO NOT USE IT NO MORE. It would be my kindly suggestion.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

If possible I would give negative stars. I will never buy from Gap again. Not only have they lost a loyal customer I will make sure my family knows how absurd they are. I made a purchase over 250 during the Gap Cash period. Meaning I'm entitled to 125 Gap cash promotion code. After have calling FOUR times and being put on hold for over an HOUR each time not including the normal hold when first calling, I'm talking about being transferred to multiple departments of Gap and agents. I was never generated a code, so I was then given a code however it was invalid so I then had to call again and be placed on hold for 53 Minutes while an agent reached out to her sup for help. The outcome was unacceptable. I then asked to speak to their main manager "MIMI." HORRIBLE!!!! I mean Horrible. She was rude and very understanding about the whole situation.

She told me whatever agent I was helped by in the first place was wrong with how she offered me my $125 in credit towards my order and that I would have to spend 250 again to redeem. However after going through this whole ordeal I wanted something to be done about being given misinformation and the horrible customer service! MIMI showed to not care and even giggled when I was informing her about the whole situation. Mimi then proceeded to cut me off and say nothing could be done, after having me on hold for ONE hour just to speak to her!

I will definitely be returning everything I initially purchased and will NEVER purchase again with GAP. When I asked the main supervisor for a agent ID or last name to be able to identify the rude supervisor, I was told all she could give me is her name "MIMI" and that there is no other MIMI. So I hope Gap does a better job training their agents and a way better job at picking supervisors because after working in customer service myself I would never behave the way this disrespectful "supervisor" behaved.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have a Gap Visa and it accrues "rewards". We charge everything and pay off at the end of each month, so we have accumulated several hundred dollars worth of rewards at a time. In recent months, I see them in my statement and have let them build up to use for the holidays. When I went into the store, and they tried to ring them up. At first it accepted them, and then the site crashed. They tried repeatedly and then they wouldn't work. The cashier told me to call the credit company and ask them to reissue them. When I called, they said they couldn't help me and insisted I must have already used them, which I had not! I explained that the store took them and then the site crashed and that's likely why they appeared used. They instructed me to call the Credit Card rewards department. I called them and they said they didn't know why they wouldn't work in the store, but to try online and that should be fine.

I tried online and they STILL wouldn't work. I called the credit card company back AGAIN and got the run around several more times. Meanwhile, when I log in, sometimes $500 of rewards show up, and then when I log in the next day, NONE show up. Today I logged in and it said I only have $100 rewards! The person I spoke to yesterday admitted they've had major issues with rewards and loads of customers have been calling in, but he didn't know what to do about it. Meanwhile, GAP Visa is defaulting on over $500 these rewards that I have accrued, since I can't use them. I am so completely frustrated with this company and program.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I went GAP store to buy gift today and there one of the manager Jeneffer came to help me out and told me to open credit card to get good discount. I was with my father so I asked her if she could help me. Means my father took 15 total to purchase. She told me to place order for size which was not in store. She took more than hour to open a credit card and place a order. Took 10 times my license number and asked couple of time to enter my social. When she asked me is everything current in my license. I told her except my address everything is correct on my license. Then she was taking long time to figure out how to place order online and all the way end she told me it's done. I get out of store and thought that she did not ask my current address then how she has placed order?

I sent back and ask Rebacca. She was also a manager. She took my current address and order number and said she will update it by calling customer service. All these already make my family to wait for 15 minutes shopping. And later when I called and talked to Jene and she said it was honest mistake and she don't know solution. Customer service people neither cancel order not update address because it's in transit.

I got to update and asked her now what can you do? And she said, "Maam I don't know." I can try again to call on Monday. She put in hell situation and I am charged for order and it's not coming to my way. Worst shopping experience. She said top of that if I am not happy then I can call 1800-GAP. I hope there should be someone in GAP company who can help me out this hell situation and save my holiday time. Not to waste in this finding. Me and my Family day off become hell and tired day by GAP.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I'm a regular shopper at Gap and Old Navy, almost always online from my iPhone. However, the past few times have been a horrendous experience, enough to make me close the browser and forget even ordering anything. I end up just wanting to throw my phone against the wall due to this complete ** of a website. Not only does the page reload all the time, the sales codes do not stay applied to the customer's bag while continuing to browse.

Oh and after adding an item to your bag, trying to get back to the exact spot you were browsing is almost impossible. It will either reload due to an "error" or just take you back to the top of the page you were on and require scrolling through everything you've JUST seen to get back to your spot. This website makes me so angry, I literally cannot shop from it anymore whatsoever which sucks. It's never been a smooth running website but I've gotten past it and made my orders. Not today. Please, Gap/Old Navy and other partnering stores, fix your website!!!

Gap Company Information