1.63/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

DSW

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

99 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I just received an order with which I have an issue. I called the C.S. #, and first, they said the wait time was 287 minutes - nearly 5 hours! Then I called and asked for "Sales," and the hold time was nearly an hour. As I held, a recording kept coming on every few minutes to update hold times, and every time it came back, the Hold times increased! by 2 minutes each time. This continued for about 15 minutes until I hung up. Then, I tried their online "Chat" feature. Hold times there were 34 minutes. Then I emailed, and got an auto response that they would get back to me. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered for an online store.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I ordered Sperry's for my boyfriend's birthday! 3 weeks go by, no emails or calls! Then when I call they say that they were shipped back. That FedEx couldn't locate my address. I have used online shopping countless times and never had a problem. They had to have them shipped to the store! I will never shop from them online ever again! Don't waste your time!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This site is very difficult to navigate. I'm a professional shopper, or used to be, at least. When on DSW, one inputs the information about size, type, etc., and each time you leave a specific shoe, it erases the information and you have to input all of your specs again!! I find this to be so labor intensive that I just give up! Also if you actually go to the brick and mortar, there are so many shoes at a better price, you feel horribly ripped off, when you shop online! You really don't get a good deal here unless you physically go the the store!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When buying anything whether online or in store there is never the same availability. Even though the customer service representatives go far and beyond to help you get what you need.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Website easy to navigate. Quality shoes and convenient return policy. Regular sale and discounts. Good Reward programs. I get lots of compliments on my shoes from DSW. I am 5'8" and love the different styles, 3" Espadrilles, wedges, sandals and open toe boots for all occasions. Lots of colors to choose from. Nevertheless, frequency of addition of new selections could do with some improvement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I am very disappointed with my first experience at DSW. I ordered four pairs of shoes, for a wedding I was standing up in. I was trying to match the colors of the shoes to a dress, and ordered multiple sizes. The website said that all of the shoes were available for overnight shipping. Long story short, the shoes were not available for overnight shipping, got lost in the mail thanks to FedEx, ended up getting returned to sender.

I have spoken to three different customer service representatives two of which were no help at all. The first time was to inquire about why the shoes had not shipped yet even though they were supposed to be sent overnight. The representative informed me that those shoes were not eligible for overnight shipping. This did not make sense to me because the website advertised them as eligible and I had been charged for overnight shipping. When I asked her to cancel the order, she told me the order cannot be cancelled. Even though I had called the next day, she said it was too late to cancel, but she did reversed the overnight shipping charge.

I missed the delivery attempts, and the shoes ended up getting sent back to DSW. When I spoke to the second customer service representative, he said to call back in seven to ten days and that the company would credit my account for the shoes once FedEx shipped them back. He also said that I would not be liable for the shoes because I never received them.

The third time I called, the customer service rep was extremely rude. She said that it DID appear on the account that the shoes were sent back to shipper, but had not arrived yet. She told me to call back in a couple of days to see if they had received the shoes back. I asked why they would not refund me now considering they know the shoes are on route back to them. She claimed that it is policy to not refund money on lost or stolen packaged for ten business days.

I reluctantly agreed to call back, said goodbye, and waited on the phone for the post call survey. I had muted my phone, and all of a sudden I heard two ladies (the customer rep I talked to and I am guessing another who was listening in) proceed to TRASH TALK ABOUT ME. They went on to talk about how "unreal" I was being. They also mentioned that there was a storm that hit Miami last week, (I assume IRMA) and that I should realize there would be a delay in the process. As a customer who purchased shoes online, I have no idea where my shoes are shipping from, therefore, I am not being "unreal." I have still not gotten a refund, and I plan to contact management of customer service to sort out this situation.

If DSW had not falsely advertised overnight shipping on these four pairs of shoes, this situation would have never happened. I simply would have gone elsewhere. I realize mistakes happen, but as a paying customer, I expect the company to politely manage the situation without insulting the customer, refund my money, and potentially throw a credit or coupon my way. Instead, I am still out the $180.00, have had my character insulted, and have to call DSW yet again to try and get my money back. DSW does not care about their customers, and I can honestly say I will NEVER shop there again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I received a gift card to DSW. I called the to find out how much was on the card - $50. I went to DSW store a month later, no money on the card. I was given a # to call. I was told my gift card had been used in NY at the 90th & Broadway store. I live in LA, CA. The employee asked if I had the PIN #, I said hold on while I scratch off the cover & I supplied him the PIN #. He told me DSW can't help me but he can give me the phone # to the NY store. I'm supposed to call and find out who used my gift card so I can track them down, other than that too bad for me. So someone was able to make a phony card, PIN was not checked, my gift was used and too bad for me, DSW unwilling to help. They do not consider security of gift cards important and are unwilling to help. Consider that if you are making a gift from this merchant - you will spend good money and if it's stolen - DSW says, "Sucks to be you."

Original review: June 15, 2017

Employees need to be retrained about coupons and discounts. The Stonecrest location has bad attitudes. They are unaware about promotion and discounts and they have a lack of respect of customers' concerns. The manager at DSW told me "I need to stop listening to customer service 1800 because they don't know what they are talking about."

Original review: June 12, 2017

This company has the WORST customer service EVER. I ordered item under 2-day shipping and it never came on the day expected. On top of that, when I tried calling to check my status order and ask why my items weren't shipped as I paid for, I didn't get any replies because NO ONE picked up. I was calling for hours, even two days in a row. I had to call a near-by store to have them connect me to a customer service representative faster, and when they did, they STILL didn't solve the issue. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I purchased a Pair of Running Shoes, cost was $65.06. After 2 days my feet were hurting so bad I could hardly walk. I exchanged them, same problem $10.00 more. Finally I received my credit back $75.06. The problem lays I ended up in the Emerg. Room. Took X-Rays, I was given medicine, told 6-7-17 I have a Stress Fracture on my left foot, and a Bone Spur on my right toe. I had none of this before I purchased these shoes. I wrote to the CEO who never contacted me, though James did from OH and said it was not the shoes I should contact the makers or possibly it could be workman's comp? It was not job related! I have missed work lots of fuel. I am now pursuing a personal Injury Lawyer. Buyers BEWARE!! This Co. is false and does not care about the customers or what the products do to their Feet. Not DSW's problem. My insurance Co is aware of this as well as I have witnesses to when these shoes were bought and my feet. See you in court.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Received an email to order and receive a free tote... Just like others, they "ran out". They said a person ordered right before me and they gave the last tote to them. I don't believe it... I do not think I will be shopping here again.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I purchased 5 pairs of shoes online for special occasion. One pair that they had shipped me included 2 different sized shoes. I went into a store and returned 3 pairs. Since they sent me the wrong sized shoes, they said that they would send me the correct order and express ship it. Expressing shipping was supposed to take 4 days. Instead it's been more than 2 weeks and I never received the shoes. When I called DSW a week and a half later they send they couldn't cancel the order because the shoes may be in transit. They said that I had to wait until a May 30 to call back and cancel the order and get a refund.

Meanwhile I've called them 3 times and waited a total of 1 hour. I finally went into a store after May 30th, which was the day they said I could cancel the order. At the store they waited on the phone for 27 minutes. When they finally got a hold of someone at Shoephoria they said it looked as if I never returned the shoes. They also said they aren't sure where my shipment is. It's two and half weeks later and they still have yet to refund me the money and never got the shoes. I needed the shoes for a special event and they didn't get here in time. I will never order from DSW online again. The employee in the store was helpful but other than that I've experience horrible customer service in regards their back office and phone service.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I bought a pair of heels that were low quality for the price and wanted to return them. Two weeks after they received the shoes back, I had yet to receive my refund. Tried to call them. Was on hold for 45 minutes listening to how important my call was to them. Finally gave up and left my # for them to call me back. The rep who finally called me said she had no idea why the refund took so long but they are very busy so they can't keep anything straight. I can't recommend them.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I called the customer service number 3 times and was hold waiting on someone to answer for 20 minutes each time. No, no one ever answers the customer service number. Terrible website - I can never change my password, even when the temporary password is sent. The customer service is terrible and I will never shop this business again!

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have never received a free item with purchase yet. I have been shopping and getting these coupons for years. Every time I make a purchase and hand them my coupon, they tell me they're all out. I'm starting to think the free coupon is a ploy to get you to go there and spend money. There was never any free bag. It doesn't exist. False advertisement!!

Original review: May 16, 2017

When I tried to redeem my free tote and wristlet offer from DSW OF COURSE they had run out of supplies. Always happens with them when they offer products like this. Makes me wonder if they only had 100 of them or better yet 5. Quit offering items if you know you will run out especially when you are a popular site and it's Mother's Day weekend. GEEZ.

Original review: May 14, 2017

MN71030 straw bkl saddle - My purpose of going to the store was taking a family member. Meanwhile, I began looking at some comfort shoes but didn't find anything. Instead of giving up I went to the handbag section and found the cross body handbag that was perfect for what I need the style, size and color.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Bought shoes in store... sales gal told me they could ship them for free, and I should receive them in 3-4 days. It's now 9 days later. I called customer service - it took 20 minutes for someone to answer the phone. CS gal (aka "shoe lover") said they were "en route" and should arrive in a day or two. Said it normally takes 5-7 days. Either way, it's been longer than what either of the DSW people told me. Still waiting... unless you want to wait a week and a half to get your shoes, I DO NOT recommend having DSW ship shoes to you. If they not in store, go somewhere else.

Original review: May 5, 2017

The shoe choices online are way better than in the stores; depending on the store also. Like the Queens Stores don't have the same choices as the one in NYC, Manhattan. I have bought shoes for some time from this Company and up til now satisfied. Recently, and from same brand as previously bought from, the shoes are coming way too big/long; even for my size of only 5.5. Because of this issue I have had to deal with customer service. Wow. Horrendous service this company provides. They are always rushing through information like they just want to be done w/ you, seem agitated to speak with you if you want to ask more questions for info. or clarity and also, are vague in their information.

Note to self & others: be weary and skeptical about those promotions ex. $10 of off $49 or $20 of 99, which was my case today. I was buying 4 pairs of shoes and it came out to a subtotal of $134. Clearly the $20 of off 99 applied here, right? Incorrect my friends. There is apparently a fine print where it only applies to certain brands; therefore I only received $10 off. What a rip off and false advertisement. Someone should really look into this company and what they are really doing and presenting to the public.

Original review: April 26, 2017

This a horrible customer service, I called them twice. I consumed each called 20 minutes. No one answer. What the heck. What kind a company doesn't answer their phone? I need to ask about the egift card I purchased until now I didn't received yet. This is a nightmare for the first customer try to wanted to purchase online. This store is horrible, horrible customer service.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I ordered $173.92 worth of shoes online on 4/2/17. On 4/5/17 they took out $173.92 out of my checking. Paid in Full. Then on 4/7/17 they took another $173.91 out of my checking, just to "HOLD" it. This left me with $21.71. I called them immediately to refund the money that they took from me. I called twice and talked to two different people. They said that is their policy. Their POLICY - to steal money from people. I already paid for the shoes in full, why would they take it out again, because it is their policy - REALLY!!! Then I went to my bank. They cannot refund the money until April 11th. I'm supposed to live on $21.71 for five days! DSW are crooks! Do not ever order online from them unless you have a lot of money in your checking account.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I recently went to a store and found a pair of shoes I wanted to buy. They didn't have my size in store, so the associate ordered it for me directly stating that shipping was free. I placed the order on March 31. I received an email stating that the shoes had shipped on April 2, with a tracking number. The tracking number showed up as expected delivery on April 8. April 8 arrived but the shoes did not. I checked the tracking number again and this time it showed that they use FedEx SmartPost and it was in the hands of the US Postal service, with a new tracking number. The new tracking number doesn't work but the DSW page showed that my shoes would be delivered today on April 10.

I went online again and now the date has been changed to April 12. According to the tracking number details, the shoes have been in California since April 7, but they won't be delivered for at least five days? UPS only takes five days to ship things across the entire country! This will be the last pair of shoes I order from them either through their store or online.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I will no longer be a customer of DSW, although I have shopped there for YEARS. I have removed my name from their email and reward member list. The reason is the progressive signs meant to show their attitudes towards everything. Throughout the store they have hung signs with hashtags about hitting on their dentist when sedated, giving someone the middle finger, and other things that my kids asked me about. If you want to have to explain what this all means to your kids and grandkids, go ahead and shop there. But not me, there are plenty of other places to find shoes without listening to teenage, millennial attitudes. They need to study what age women spend the most at their stores.

Original review: April 1, 2017

In searching for shoes on DSW's website, I found at least 10 pairs of shoes by various designers that are MORE EXPENSIVE on DSW than they are on the designer's website. To say they are DISCOUNTED is false advertising. They are marked up even higher than if you purchased from the designer directly. I have also compared their prices apples to apples on these shoes (exact same shoe) at Macy's and DSW is higher than Macy's as well. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 30, 2017

I've bought many pairs of shoes at DSW and I've also returned a lot of pairs with no hassle at all. Customer service has always bent over backwards to please me and make sure that I'm happy, no matter how messy things manage to get. Including recently. I had bought a few pairs of shoes but needed a 1/2 size larger. No problem returning. One pair was amazing and the other pair started to fall apart after about an hour of wear, mostly sitting. I called and explained what had happened and they said to bring them back. They didn't have the ones I wanted in store so the associate ordered them for me online. The only complaint I have is that, while I was refunded, the money didn't immediately go back into my account, but the new total was taken out. I'm still patiently waiting for it to be returned but that's not the associate's fault.

I've gotten so many coupons and certificates, that they allow you to stack, that I've pretty much gotten free shoes. I'm seeing so many negative comments but so many of them seem so unmerited to me. They have a really great return policy and almost all of their shoes can be returned within 90 days unworn. It's really not their fault if the shoes you picked weren't as comfortable as you thought they were.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I recently had a store credit of $22.03 on one of those DSW cards. On 2/13/17 I ordered a pair of shoes online that totaled $52.95. After utilizing the store credit I then paid the difference ($30.92) with my personal credit card. The shoes didn't fit so I took them to the store to return on 3/2/17. At the register, the clerk processed the return but instead of crediting my credit card, she issued me a store credit for the entire amount of $52.95. Rather than make an issue of it, I found a pair of shoes online on 3/3/17 and ordered them using the credit and again, my personal charge card for the difference. These shoes totaled $63.55, so my personal credit card was charged $10.60. I then found the same shoes at Macys for $30 less so I took these shoes back to DSW on 3/10/17 to return them. The clerk at the register told me the full refund would be credited to my charge card. Assuming this to be my personal charge card, I took my receipt and left.

I received an email stating that my store credit would be mailed to me soon. This is no way to do business. If I purchased anything on a personal credit card, the return should be processed exactly the same way unless I don't have receipts, which I do have. Automatically issuing store credits is shady, unethical and low. I would like to have the amount I paid out of pocket ($41.52) returned as it was paid.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I am writing because of the issue of not receiving my free gift of the tote and yoga mat. I went to the Dublin Ca location on 3/10/17. They didn't have the shoe I wanted but did have the free gift in stock. I went to a second location in Fremont Ca on 3/11/17. Once again they didn't have the shoe I wanted in stock. I was advised that I could order it online and receive the free gift. When I went online they didn't have the color of the shoe, therefore I couldn't place an order online.

I finally went into the last DSW on 3/12/17 in my area to find my shoe in stock however they didn't have the free gift. I was told I could contact customer service to have one sent to me. I spoke with Keke a phone rep and explained the issue. As a customer I don't think I should've had to do the footwork the store could've done. After spending 20 minutes on the phone I still ended up without my free gift. I am very disappointed with the service that I received during this process. I wish they would make things easier for the customers.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Placed an online order and it looked like everything was OK. 7 days later and no shipping confirmation. I logged into my online account and there was no shipping info listed. I tried to use their online chat, but it was disabled and not working. Then I called the 800 Customer Support line. A very unprofessional "Shoelover" was of no help. He told me that DSW has up to 7 days to ship my shoes and it was not 7 days left. He also was not sure where the shoes were shipping from - he thought it might be a store. I tried sending an email with the link on their website. I filled out the online form and when I hit submit - I get an "error 404" message. So I tried calling Customer Service again - was on hold for 30 minutes... I gave up!! Still no resolution. I will NEVER order from DSW online again. Zappos/6pm/Macy's ships shoes out in 2-3 days. VERY POOR EXPERIENCE!!

Original review: March 8, 2017

Placed an order with DSW rep. on 03/07/17. Checked website on 03/08/17. Order history showed order canceled. Call the company several times to no avail. No one could tell me why the order was canceled. I did not cancel the order, I really wanted the shoes. I asked the rep. were the funds on hold - I was told no. Called my bank, there was a hold placed on my funds for $64.75. Called DSW back to tell them about the hold - reached a male rep (Marcus). He was very apologetic. He told me a hold is placed once order is placed, but is not taken from the account until you receive the item.

Well I am not going to receive the item, my order was canceled unknowing to me. He then told me that it will take 3 to 4 business days for the hold to be released. I told him will not order anything else until I get my money back in my account. He was kind enough to give me 1500 point for the inconvenience. So we will see long it takes to get my money back. Stay tuned. I really wanted the shoes. Have a great day friends.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I placed an order with DSW and MACY'S on the same day. I have received the orders from Macy's. DSW has never sent a tracking number or anything. When I called I spoke with an unprofessional and unknowledgeable representative. She could not answer my questions. I hate I ever ordered from this company. I should have read the reviews like I normally do BUT I thought they were a reputable company. They are NOT!!! This is my LAST order. My advice is to run from this company. Once they get your money they don't care when or if you get the merchandise. From your first and last customer!!! #ThoroughlyFrustrated

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.
    • Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.
    • Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.
    • Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.
    • Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs