3.9/5 (663 ratings)

About DSW

DSW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I ordered an in stock item. The product shipped with a tracking number. I never received the order. I was offered a replacement or a refund, I chose the replacement as it was a gift. After the stated wait time I inquired about a tracking number. I was given the runaround for about a week claiming the item would ship eventually. After numerous emails asking for details they refunded my order claiming it was a glitch in the system. I would have been more accepting of this had they done it in the beginning instead of lying to me. Complete waste of time.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I've been buying most of my work and athletic shoes from DSW for well over 15 years. They've always had a great selection of men's shoes and the coupon perks were always a good attraction to get me into the store to shop. In the past year the selection has dropped along with available sizes and all shoes are full price. They mail you store coupons to get you back in store and when you find something worth purchasing the coupons don't work for that brand.

I asked for a store manager and asked to see what brands the coupons were not good for and the list had over 50 brands, all the shoes I wanted to purchase. When I asked if they could give me a copy of the list or better yet a list of the brands that were covered (all 10 of them) she said she was sorry but couldn't supply that to me. I will never, ever shop in a DSW store again.

Get buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I made my first purchase from DSW of some UGGS Slippers. I specifically asked the store employee if these shoes were seconds or were made specifically for discount stores, and was told “no, we take a loss on the sale of UGGS, as this is one of our loss leaders to get people into the store.” Within 3 weeks these new slippers (worn only in the house) were failing — the fur lining in the insole was bunching up and pulling away from the edges of the insole — it appeared to have never been bonded to the midsole except around the edges.

I returned them to DSW for a refund, showing them the manufacturer’s defect in the shoe. This sales person said that these were indeed a cheaper discount line of the UGGS products (so the previous DSW employee had lied to me). She said that DSW is not the shoe’s manufacturer and therefore is not responsible for any defects. She very reluctantly agreed to give me STORE CREDIT for the purchase. I told them that I wanted my cash back for a defective shoe, but she flatly refused. Since DSW DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS, I would NEVER again deal with DSW, as they don’t sell quality products and as a result, they refuse to support their customers with the products they sell. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I used to love DSW but this is the fourth time they've sold me "new shoes" that have come worn, dirty and disgusting. This time it was a pair of sneakers that came in a box with no lid, a jelly-like substance on the inside of them, and reeked of someone else's feet. Each time their customer service are difficult to work with, unapologetic, and it makes it very clear that this is a common place complaint for them. There are so many excellent bargain brands for shoes, it's absolutely not worth it to spend money at DSW to have to go out of your way to fix the mess they made selling "new" shoes in horrific condition. It's an unhygienic, misleading, and a truly disgusting practice of theirs.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

DSW mails coupons out. When you try to use them in store they do NOT apply to most of their stock. USELESS. They used to mail out valid coupons/discounts. Think I'll stick to Famous Footwear. Their coupons are valid on All Stock!!?!

Original review: July 28, 2021

On 7/26 I placed an order no **. On 7/27 DSW system canceled the order. On 7/27 I placed the same order **. On 7/28 the order was canceled again. When I called their customer service, they have no idea why order keeps canceled.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I clearly understand that I selected the standard shipping option for 4-7 business days. But, damn, I ordered my item on 4/7 and a week later 4/17 I have yet to receive an email regarding my item. I would rather order from Amazon. I've never waited this long for an order from Amazon. No wonder why Amazon is the reason why some businesses are closing forever.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Ordered shoes early January. Received a couple of days ago. This was my first purchase ever from DSW, and I was so excited. I opened the box only to find filthy, disgusting, smelly used shoes. I ordered all white shoes, so it was obvious that they had been worn. Called customer service and they said to return by mail or to store. I returned to store same day, and got my refund. I emailed them the next day to send them pictures of the shoes, and to also explain to them that they charged me $7.95 and that it was still pending in my bank account. They denied ever charging me that. They didn’t seem shocked by the dirty shoes and offered me $20 off my next purchase. Let’s just say I’m never ordering from DSW ever again, and I will never recommend to anyone I know.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I have been a loyal DSW/ShoeCompany/ShoeWarehouse customer for years. A few months ago we had to move and there isn't one of these local to me and traveling is obviously not an option. Therefore I purchases a pair of boots online. The boots arrived and were not what I wanted so I wanted to return them. This is when I learn that I will have to pay to return these boots. I will own that I did not research in their return policy section that they don't do prepaid returns for shipped merchandise, but I have actually never encountered this ever with all my online shopping and especially during Covid all online purchases I have made have provided prepaid return slips.

When I called to check this I was told that my options were to bring them in (not an option for me) or pay to return them and that this is on their website. Yup, it is but not on the main page where they gladly advertise free shipping to you but no "warning you will have to pay almost half of what you paid for the boots to return them"... Terrible return policy especially during a global pandemic - you've lost a customer for life based on this... I'm leaving my review as a warning to others because these days to ask customers to take a financial risk like that is not only ridiculous but super uncommon and I'm sure others would just assume like me that a company like this wouldn't ask that of people, especially during Covid. I would have NEVER bought these boots if I knew this. Again, lost a customer for life because a totally outdated and unthoughtful return policy.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

My wife purchased 3 pairs of shoes on line for Christmas for our grandkids. They charged our card an additional $50.00 per pair of shoes without telling us. When my wife called they told her they do that now and the charges would drop off after 3 or 4 days. First of all, where do they get off charging more than the price of the shoes? Second the charges have not dropped off yet. Had they made this policy known to us we would have used a credit card, or not purchased from DSW at all. It's just lucky we have extra money in the bank, not everyone does. Think of a person that is just getting by in these times. They could bounce several items waiting for these fees to fall off. That's assuming they do. We will never buy anything from these crooks again.

DSW author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

DSW Company Information