1.63/5
Based on 93 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

185 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

Recently purchased shoes online during free item promotion. Ordered the shoes and put in promotion code and all confirmed. Then I got the confirmation of purchase email and promotion not included. Repeated attempts to communicate with DSW ignored or put off. Liked the shoes. Hated the promotion. Was a ruse. Most of all hate the total lack of customer service. Will not purchase online from them ever again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

If I could give a negative 10-star review I would. I placed an order for a pair of shoes only to get the free promotional item (tote cooler). First of all, it took well over a week and a half to receive the shoes, but there was no tote bag included. I called customer service 3 times that day but hung up due to extremely long hold time. I tried to do Online Chat but it was unavailable. I have tried calling customer service multiple times over the past few days, but still no answer. I have emailed 4 times and received a pre-recorded response saying they are extremely busy and will get back to me. What in the heck is going on with DSW? Are all of their workers on strike??? I will never again do business with DSW. Extremely unprofessional and unethical to not follow through with promised merchandise and to not answer customer concerns or complaints!!!

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I placed an order very early within the free weekender bag promotion, but I did not receive a bag. In order to meet the requirements of the promotion, I purchased a more expensive shoe than I would have chosen had there not been a promotion. When I contacted customer service, their response was to tell me that they are out of the weekender bag and to be on the lookout for the next promotion and buy more shoes and I'll get the promotion. This is an unacceptable response. If it's not false advertising, it's bait and switch at a minimum. I'm very disappointed in DSW's nonchalant customer service and lack of effort in attempting to satisfy their loyal customers.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If I could give a negative review I would. Why do they bother having a customer service department? They do not answer the phone, do not respond to emails and their online chat does not work. If you have any issue with your order at all there is no way to get in touch with anybody to correct the problem. They need to stop with the auto response emails that their volume is too high if they cannot handle their customers. They need to hire more staff or get their current staff to do their jobs.

Resolution response: June 11, 2018

I left a bad review but I'm amending it. DSW was very helpful. My shoes went to my old address. In Ohio, I'm in SC but they didn't give me a hassle. In minutes they sent out an order & 2 day free shipping for the inconvenience. You do have to wait a bit but I'm very satisfied.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been a VIP customer for a long time but I always went to the store. Now I can't get there so I order online. It takes them over a week to process the order. I've had good shoes but I won't order again. It just takes too long to get the shoes. At least 2 weeks & that is just too long. I've bought from other stores and I can have the shoes in 2 days. Some 4 but never this long. So long DSW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love the shoes that they have which have fair prices but unfortunately, they only have very few choices in my size. I am tall so have to wear a size 11 or 11 1/2.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have shopped with this company for a long time, but, I will never do so again. Orders place online take close to two weeks to receive. They ship via FedEx, but, in the final week, the order is transferred to USPS which adds another delay. I tried the chat service, but, it ALWAYS says it is too busy. I really don't think the chat service even exists! I phoned and waited on hold for 45 minutes and the line went dead. Using this company is an incredible hassle. There are many other shoes available to have to deal with this.

Original review: June 2, 2018

DSW has great selection online. But they definitely need more narrow shoes for people like me with skinny feet. But they ship super quickly and if your shoes do not fit or you just don’t like them, they will pick them up and return them at no cost to you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ordered a pair of sneakers, arrived in a few days, no problems with fit and used a coupon for an outstanding price. Sign up for online sales and coupons.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a gold member with DSW so I shop online as well as in store regularly. I often find the specific shoes I want online and order. They always come very timely and have an easy return/ exchange police both online and in the store.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Ordered a pair of shoes online to be picked up in the store nearest me. DSW.com took my coupons and credits, then charged my card for the balance. Showed up at the store more than 4 hours later, only to find the shoes had been SOLD to another customer. Manager claimed I wasn't charged and if I see a charge on my card to call Customer Service. Well there IS a charge on my card and I no longer have the $15 in VIP points. To date I have not gotten a response from Customer Service at all - it's like they don't exist! I have tried calling, emailing and Live Chat but never get ANYONE to respond. Total rip off - they sold my shoes and charged two customers!

Original review: May 26, 2018

DSW have an extensive line of footwear, shoes for every occasion, everyday, evening, activewear, so much so it hard to make a decision on how many to purchase lol!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Ordered online 1st and 2nd day free weekender started, used the code, was accepted both times. No bags were ever sent. A friend did same, DSW response was "we're out of them". This is an unacceptable response. This is also false advertising! I am returning the 2 pair of shoes I ordered due to this. I am very unhappy with DSW over this. Not sure if I will shop here anymore. There are many more shoe stores. They are always too busy to live chat, wait time for phone calls to customer service is too long and they will respond to emails maybe 4 days after. Either the company is going down or they are too cheap to hire more help.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I placed an order online and entered the promo code for the free weekender bag. When my shoes arrived no weekender bag in the box, so I called customer service. I waited on hold for an hour only to be told that the code was not entered when I placed the order and they were now out of bags. I have ordered numerous times online from DSW but this will be my last time. I am very unhappy with their customer service, it's horrible.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The site is easy to navigate, there always seems to be a discount offered, if you have received a discount through the mail or want to you use your points you just add them or the discount code and shipping is mostly free. Oh yes, I always receive my order in 3 days and if you plug in what brand you like and what size you wear in that brand, when you browse for shoes and click to see a style you like, they tell you if you can stay with your size or if you need to size up or down. They really make it easy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

DSW is very reasonable and can always find the shoes you looking for. They have so many choices to select from. They have special offers and also if you are club member they send you money towards next pair of shoes.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Very disappointed. I waited until May 10th to order two pairs of shoes to receive the free bag. Obviously this was false advertised or they only had a total of 5 bags to give out... I know multiple people who ordered the same day as me, mind I say the first day this promotion was going on, and NONE of them received this bag. After realizing I didn't receive my free bag I quickly called DSW. Nonetheless had to wait over 200 minutes per day so I finally got in touch today after 35 minutes.

Customer service was VERY contradicting; first saying sorry but we can only give you 10% off later saying 20% off after I declined the 10%. 20% is what I regularly get off as a VIP member, so I was not impressed. Asking for a bag of the same value or just a coupon for how much the free bag would of been I was told no. Not wasting my breath any longer for this unreliable company I hung up the phone. I usually don't report such negativity but DSW will never get a dime from me again. The customer service is truly unacceptable and all I got was a "sorry".

Original review: May 23, 2018

I placed an order online and noticed a problem right away. The free gift was not added to the order even though I added the code at the checkout and it did not indicate the gift was unavailable. When I tried to call I was told the wait time is 4 hours and the chat isn't working. I sent an email but received a reply several days later when the item was already mailed and I was told that they ran out of the free gift bag. Another time I ordered shoes online they came with anti-theft thing still attached to it. I had to go to the store to take it off. My main problem is that they do not have phone customer support. I'm not going to wait 4 hours to see if someone is actually going to pick up.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I sure wish I would've seen this webpage and the review related to DSW before I placed an online order. I placed an order online 11 days ago & received an email the same day stating my order had shipped. I have been trying to track it via the DSW website as well as the FedEx website with no results. I am told the shipping label has been created, but FedEx is waiting to receive the package. I have attempted to start a live chat several times only to be told that they're too busy & to check back later (I have never gotten that with any other company's live chat feature).

I have tried calling the Customer Service phone # only to be told that the wait time is over 120 minutes!!! What? Based on what I have read here, it sounds like I will be lucky to ever get my shoes or get a refund. I guess I won't be seeing that weekender bag free promo either. I am so disappointed...I have always had such good experiences at DSW shoe stores. I had no idea that their online ordering operations were such a joke. If I can't get a hold of someone through what they provide on the website, I'm finding an Ohio number for DSW's headquarters and calling it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Bad experience and I will never order from them online again. I tried calling them today and was giving an estimated 3hr wait time. I tried their live chat only to be told the live chat service is too busy. I emailed them and got a response email that they are experiencing high volume and an email response could take up to 4 business days! I ordered shoes on April 3rd they told me my shoes would ship in 3 days. They didn’t ship for 9 days. One pair never shipped and today 46 days later there is a pending charge on my credit card. No email, no phone call. I’m sure sometimes they get it right but if you want your shoes on time and customer service that’s there to help you then order from somewhere else.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ordered a pair of sandals. They were delivered a week later in a grey bag. The box inside was crushed in places. Opened the box and found the sandals which looked worn, had dirt smudges on them and instead of being wrapped in the traditional shoe box paper, they included the plastic wrapper of a cigarette pack. I took pictures thinking that customer service will be appalled! I also ordered a “free bag” as per a coupon THEY sent to me which was not included either.

I have now been waiting for their customer service to pick up my call for over an hour. There was a message that interrupted the hold music saying that the wait time is over 700 minutes. I laughed thinking it must be an error. Perhaps not! Now I am reading reviews online and discovering how horrid this company is to deal with! Not only will I return the beat up shoes to the store instead of trusting this company with my mail return, but I will NEVER walk into one of their stores again. Back to Zappos where customer service is impeccable. I only ordered from DSW to get the free weekender bag, which is apparently a scam too! I never write reviews but this is the worst.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I ordered almost $300 worth of merchandise from DSW. I never received an email or notification about when my items would be sent. All of a sudden I received a package on my doorstep. Good thing I was home to receive it. I checked my DSW account under my orders and the item I received still said in process. I checked the other items and they also said in process. I then received an email a day or so later and it said that the items were shipped. I double checked to see which ones and all but one had a shipped status (the item I received still said “in process”). I tried to inquire over live chat about missing item, does not work. Tried calling, over 250 min wait time. Tried emailing, was told to contact FedEx.

How can I contact a carrier about a package that was or wasn't sent without a tracking number. I emailed them again regarding my concerns, no response as of yet. Now I am attempting to call customer service again and I have been on hold for 46:40 min (and counting) and the recording in the beginning said the longest wait time was 45 min. DSW needs to get their act together and provide better customer service for their customers. This is beyond ridiculous.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I have attempted to get in contact with DSW customer service multiple times today and each time, I am told by an automated system that the “maximum” wait time is 160 minutes, 180 minutes or even 260 minutes!! WTH, that’s bizarre! So, I haven’t been able to contact them and the problem is that they sent me two pairs of sandals that I ordered (one is sooo small it makes no sense) and failed to put my complimentary weekender in my package. This really upsets me because the weekender is what really caught my attention, thus I made the order yet it’s not even included!

And I’m sure they have run out because my order was placed over a week ago (which indicated that the weekender was in my cart) and these accessories go very quickly. They will either give me a pair of sandals or find another bag because I was promised that bag! Lastly, this makes no sense that I’m still on the phone waiting to speak with someone. So far, the time has been 40 minutes.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I placed an order at DSW on 4/21 for 3 pairs of shoes. I received 4 pairs total but 2 were wrong and I'm still missing 1 pair. I contacted customer service and was promised them by 5/1. They were more interested about getting the 2 pairs I did not buy back as opposed to getting me my missing pair that I've already paid for. Still no shoes! I called customer service and was advised the wait was an hour and 31 minutes long. I hung up. I have now been on hold for an hour and fifty minutes. This is horrible customer service.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I recently purchased a pair of shoes on the DSW site and they were sent to an old address in IL. I called to see if it could be changed and they said all they could do for me is to have me contact USPS to see if they could divert to the correct address. Well DSW sent them through FedEx SmartPost and they cannot change the address, in fact USPS could not even find the tracking number. All this after I waited on hold for almost an hour. Customer Service at DSW is horrible. I have never had this happen before. Anytime I did not receive a package from Amazon, Nordstrom, QVC they resent no questions asked. I will no longer be a DSW customer and will not recommend to anyone I know. In fact I will tell them never to order anything. If you want something from DSW you need to go into the store because you may not ever get the package or a refund. Just an all over horrible experience.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have tried to chat online multiple times ALWAYS says busy... Have tried calling over and over and you never get a human. Over 30 minutes on hold each time. Have emailed twice and still no response. You have my money so now you don't want to help me? Go Anywhere else!

Original review: May 14, 2018

No one will answer the phone!!! There is no customer service. I even tried the option where you have them call you back because their wait time was over 110 minutes! And when DSW called me back they hung up on me when I said hello! I'm trying to give you business. You clearly have more business than you know how to handle. I'm trying to place an order with you over the phone not online because I have a discount code that will not work online and it should because it's new and not expired. It's apparent you have problems or you wouldn't ask people to do a survey after the call. How can I do a survey about your customer service if I cannot even get a hold of a live person to take my order? You are losing business. Your corporate headquarters CFO and CEO should be concerned about this! Hire more people. There are a ton of people that need jobs in the USA. Hire them and fix your non existent customer service problem!

Original review: May 12, 2018

Delivery - would be no stars if possible. Sorry but this review has nothing to do with the shoe and everything to do with DSW's customer service. I ordered $350 worth of shoes (4 pair). I received two pair - I was here for the delivery. My entire order was marked as delivered. DSW refers me to FedEx, who refers me to USPS. I can't get ANYONE at DSW on the phone, live chat, etc. and they don't answer email. They have ALL of my money and I don't have the product. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM YOU AGAIN AND I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS PROCESS. Do yourself a favor and find shoes elsewhere. They can't even communicate with their customers and they pawn delivery issues off on a lame delivery service that doesn't require proof of delivery. They have "an arrangement" with USPS, says the FedEx customer service line.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I needed to cancel an order I placed so I immediately emailed DSW to cancel it within minutes of placing and asked them to cancel it since it was outside of business hours. No response. So I called customer service the next day and asked them to please cancel it. The representative informed me that she went ahead and cancelled it. Later that day I log into my account and see that it’s processing, and that the charge was made on my PayPal account. So, I call again and speak to another agent who informs me, again, she went ahead and cancelled the order. I finally get a response from the DSW email team saying it looks like your issue was taken care of, etc. I come to find out, NO ONE cancelled my order.

I had to call about 10-12 times after that to finally reach a representative because they are SO understaffed and each time I called it was a 130-170 minute wait. Sometimes it will give you the option of getting a callback, but most times did not. DSW, do you really expect people to sit and wait for 2+ hours on the phone to reach someone for help? I’ve never seen anything more ludicrous. So I shot them an email and asked someone to call me back because my issue is still not resolved and it is impossible to reach anyone. You guessed, no response and no call or email back for days.

I then had to wait (only) for DSW usual 170 minute wait time, about 45-50 minutes and finally someone answered. She said to me, “they’ve cancelled your order, you’ve only been charged once for it.” I was charged twice. I had PayPal in front of me. She kept insisting I was charged only once. My theory is they just do and say what is pleasing to the customer and what will make them happy even if it’s a lie, because that was the third time that someone told me false information, and they knew I chose to do a survey after the call ended. Finally, she realized I WAS in fact charged twice and I asked to speak to the supervisor who finally, after several days, calls, and emails, and at least 3-4 hours+ waiting on the phone total, finally fixed it.

However, I will not support them anymore. Their customer service is horrible. They are extremely understaffed and incompetent in my opinion. The representative I spoke to was standing up for the two reps who lied to me saying they’re cancelled and says “they’re new, they’re learning.” Excuse me...if you don’t know how to cancel an order, ask your supervisor for help. DSW, just lost a loyal customer of years who will not be spending any more money with you and will be taking their business to another PROFESSIONAL company.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I ordered online and received scuffed, used shoes. It’s even more evident that they are used from where they were sent from - “Returns Processing.” They sent me returned shoes that someone obviously wore before returning them. I called to exchange them (I waited 19 minutes on hold) and they will not be here in time for the event I needed them for so now I must return for a refund. Which means, I must take time out of my day to drive to a DSW and return the shoes AND try to find new shoes for my event. I also emailed customer service and was first told the shoes were sent from an "alternate location" then I was told in a second email that they were "possibly" a return. The box I received reads "Returns Processing," it was a return despite how they want to spin it.

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs