1.54/5
  • 1 star
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

DSW

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 8, 2018

126 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Nasty inexperienced customer service... almost 2 hours on hold. Had to put speakerphone on! Before... during and after holidays!!!! The keyster does not know what the elbow is doing!!! Speak to one person in the morning... get one solution... speak to one in the afternoon... what?? Huh?? Spoke to one at night and they disconnected me... twice!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I placed two orders in December. One order was cancelled. I used gift cards and never received credit for the cancellation. I attempted to call Customer Service to place the second order. I held for over 30 minutes, never reached a rep... it get better - I used another gift card and they redeemed my rewards also! Not sure how that math works. I’ve called at least 5 other times... hold times are ridiculous... never reached a rep. I’ve been a high volume customer for about 10 years. Closing down everything including my credit card. I will not sit in queue to give anyone my money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Most HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE of my life!!! Waited twice for system callback when place in line came up, and each time I answered, call disconnected!!! Then I called back and stayed on hold for 45 minutes until I finally pressed 1 (AGAIN) for another call back that HUNG UP on me AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I made a purchase on Christmas Eve for a couple of pair of boots, because they were having a promo of 25% off boots for the Christmas weekend. I also placed a second order for a single pair of shoes. That order shipped tonight, but when I call about the boots, I get some recorded message that there is some "Special circumstance with my order," and I waited 47 minutes to talk to someone about it, so I hung up. Then, I received an email of FedEx tracking from Weyco Group, Inc.

I googled them and it turns out they are a shoe company and one of the brands they own, Nunn Bush, are one of the pair of boots I ordered. And interestingly the package is only 3 lbs. I hope they weight a bit more than that! I wonder if DSW directly ships from the vendor with some of their items. This is my first time ordering from them and I am not sure about this company.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Ordered on Dec. 12 for a Christmas present. After getting tracking, which the package was never given to FedEx after several days, I contacted customer service. An hour wait by phone and chat, I was told the item would come Dec. 26, after Christmas. Was offered $10 off. I didnt want the item at that point because it was going to get here after Christmas. Never received item. Will never shop here again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My wife bought a pair of shoes for our daughter for Christmas on Dec. 15th in store to have them shipped due to out of stock. Was assured they would arrive before Christmas. Got an email on the 16th saying they had shipped. Well today is the 20th and I click on tracking and all I get is sent to FedEx will notify you when shipping starts. I call customer service tonight to see what is going on and I am on hold for 25 minutes and get cut off. Called back and stayed on hold for an hour and 20 minutes hearing "a customer service representative will be with you in a moment". I finally gave up and hung up. I read other reviews and it is fairly plain that DSW's customer service is rotten. We have shopped in there stores for years but we are done with them after this.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I placed an order just to receive the free blanket. Well my order arrived but no blanket. I emailed customer service and is waiting to see what will happen. This has happened before either on the umbrella or travel bag. I have placed two orders in the last week and a half and trust me I am not happy. Words of advice: don’t order for the promo ‘cause you may not get it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I ordered 3 pair of boots size 6 on Nov 7th... wrong size delivered (received Size 9). Went through the exchange ordeal. Wore one of the pair just ONCE. The entire side ripped out. I called Customer Service... waited on hold for over an hour then opted for the callback. That was several hours ago. Still no callback??? What's up with this company. I want a replacement for the ripped boot... and then, I'll most likely never do business with this company again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My card has been blocked by DSW and I cannot complete my purchase. This has happened at the store and online in the past. Each time I contact my bank and there is no issue with my card on my end. Extremely frustrated as I have tried other cards and the same issue. There is an issue with the DSW authorization system they use. I will no longer shop at DSW as I call the customer service number and have to wait almost an hour to speak with someone and get disconnect. I tried the chat system and it takes at least 20 minutes to get someone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I placed an order last week when I received an email from DSW saying I had early access to getting a Free Blanket if I spent $39 or more. It looked like a great blanket, and my husband could use new socks, so I decided to order them. I order $64 of socks, used my rewards certificate of $10 and was supposed to receive free shipping. I put the code FREE BLANKET under promotions - it was accepted, I checked out and thought I was done. 1/2 my order arrived yesterday, very quickly, since I ordered on the 6th. But... They sent me the wrong color, And they looked up my order and said "you didn't order the blanket" - I saw that when I looked at my order this morning as well. But clearly they deleted the blanket. And being a premier member means nothing. So I am done with DSW - their customer service is terrible, and they don't care about you as a loyal customer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Customer service has tanked and apparently shipping too!!! Placed an order 11/20. Plenty of time before Christmas, right? It's 12/8 (15 business days later) and my order still says processing. Tried to contact customer service via Live Chat but, it wasn't working. I then called and after a long hold took the option for call-back. That was hours ago and still no call. They took the money off my card weeks ago which they never used to do until the order ships. That part of their policy is now conveniently removed from the website.

Of course this must be a part of the fresh direction driven by the new CEO Roger Rawlins, I wonder how many millions he is getting to screw up my Christmas. I am a long time customer of DSW and can say I have never seen this horrible side of them. Another hour has passed since I started writing this review and still no call. Of all the places I could have ordered my nephew's Timberlands for Christmas, why did I have to order from DSW?!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had ordered wide calf boots online on 11/25 along with a pair of gloves. The gloves came 5 days later, and when I tried to track my boots it says it was cancelled on 11/29. Customer service doesn't answer the phone, I've been waiting for 20 minutes. I used a gift card to buy these boots and was not given a refund.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

First the website crashed twice during my order, then they sent me two incorrect pair of shoes, then the customer service chat didn't work. When trying to return my shoes, I found they didn't include a return slip as described. The corrected order was delayed.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

DSW is so unprofessional. I had a return in store and received a store credit. Come to find out the Customer Service dept put a hold on the card without explanation. No follow up. Nothing. So in speaking with 3 different manager no one knows anything. They have stolen my items... VERY seen this before.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I wanted to thank Jordan for being awesome and super helpful. He made a stressful Black Friday Holiday experience much more pleasant with his upbeat demeanor, willingness to go above and beyond to help me, even in the midst of a huge holiday sales event. His customer service and style were both impeccable. Thank you so much!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Every time I shop there with a coupon for a promotion, they never have it! I have tried to call, never got through. I have emailed them with no reply! They have the worst customer service. I will never shop there again. I lived chat and was disconnected after asking where my bag was.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I bought a pair of shoes and wore gently one day. But I got very bad bruise and want to return the shoe. But the customer service was very poor. She was shouting at me and telling, "You cannot return used shoes" and, "You have to try at home" etc. I am not going back to there.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

This is the second time I have ordered online at DSW.com. The orders said "processing" both times and I never received the shoes either time! It took weeks before they sent an email saying they were out of stock. NEVER EVER EVER will I order shoes from DSW.com again. Lesson learned the hard way since both times I didn't get the shoes in time for an event - I never got them at all!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

The store did not offer any coupon for Black Friday weekend while we were shopping. We expressed a need for savings, the associate did not offer a coupon, she just said no rewards with my daughter's membership number. Later we went back with a DSW coupon online ending that day! The trouble to go back in traffic was upsetting all because as one associate told us, that they don't offer coupons unless you tell them. Ridiculous! Yet the coupon was right there at the register. We may not bother going back to DSW again. Instead just go to another shoe store.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I ordered 3 shoes since November 3. I received 2 and one still say in process. I try to call customer service. They put me on hold for unlimited hours and when I go to live chat they put me on waiting list too and it is very frustrated and till today I didnt receive that shoe and on Black Friday I received a deal for 20% off and free shoe bag. I thought it is a good deal. I placed an order. When I send checking out I add the free bag. It said no longer available after I placed the order. I try to call customer service just you stay on hold for next available assistant and I leave my email in the live chat. No one care and I send an email. Still waiting for solution to cancel the order if I will not get my free special.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Thinking this will be my first and last time ordering anything from DSW. I've never even been in a store locally. Ordered some kids boots online a week ago. Said in email they would arrive in 4-7 days. Today is 7 days. Called this morning the customer service number to see if they were at the store to pick up, and get the robot customer service women's voice, asking from choices which topic to choose from. I was inquiring about my order, then asked for my order #. I would give it, and it would give it back to me incorrect, then says transferring to live "shoe lover".

Then get put on the usual hold for 6-10 minutes, with music, and the ever few seconds a customer service agent will be with you soon. Then after being on hold for that long, again the robot finally asking if I wanted to be called back, or wait. Then finally, was told wait time was about 40 minutes! They apparently are as busy as calling the IRS, or have little "live shoe lovers", on a Saturday, so I finally called the store they are being shipped to. It was before the store was opening for business, and someone answered the phone, and told me they hadn't arrived yet.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I went to physical store location on Wed 11/15, and ordered a pair of shoes at 9:00 pm online that were not available in the store in my size, and an employee at the store ordered them for me. I became a "premier shoe lover" back in Feb of 2016, and I didn't even know what it was until I ordered a bunch of shoes online. Part of the rewards of becoming a premier member is that you are supposed to get overnight shipping if order is in system by 3 pm. Under this assumption, I assumed it would ship on Thurs 11/16, and arrive on Fri 11/17.

AT NO TIME did anyone inform me that this pair of shoes I was ordering fell into the category of "Oops, sorry the shoes you ordered fall into the 5-7 BUSINESS day delivery category - in other words 7-10 days until I receive them." NOT when I ordered them in the store, nor when I did their online chat shortly before 3 pm on Thurs to make sure they were shipping that day and I believe in my online chat I had even tried to confirm it was going to be next day delivery, and the issue was "skirted" now that I think about it, and I had a transcript of our online chat sent to my email. She did give me the FedEx tracking, but it was NOT overnight, and on top of it said the expected delivery date was WED 11/22 when I looked at the FedEx tracking!

I called customer service and explained my dissatisfaction with this, and that no one at any point in time had informed me of the delivery window. Finally, after repeating my dissatisfaction several times, she agreed to give me a $10 certificate. NOW, I go into the tracking for today, and it says expected delivery is not until FRI 11/24 on BLACK FRIDAY... to make matters worse, they used the cheap route, and started delivery with FedEx, but are finishing delivery through USPS. WOW, from next business day delivery to 9 days expected delivery after order? Their explanation was very convoluted as far as this particular pair of shoes I ordered "did not fall into the next business day delivery category?"

HUH? I have never ordered a pair of shoes from them that I did not receive the next business day, let alone take a week and a half to be delivered? C'MON DSW, isn't this one of the main perks of being a PREMIER rewards member that you reneged on? I am absolutely befuddled why the heck if these shoes shipped out on Thurs, why they weren't shipped FedEx from start to finish overnight so that I would receive them on Fri 11/17, and they were shipped through FedEx crappy SmartPost. I personally am usually pretty satisfied with them, but this is something that really irked me. What if it was a pair of shoes I was planning on wearing for Thanksgiving holiday, and now they are coming after Thanksgiving?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Great company online to deal with. Great selection of shoes and their service is great. Our JC Pennys went out of Business, we are limited as to where we can buy shoes from. Target is our only selection place. DSW is great.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

For the 3rd timer in 1 yr, DSW Online has removed a promo code from my cart. Did not ship promo and when calling continually state it was never added. I have screenshots to prove. Waited 156 mins to get a rep. And this time was hung up on. I'm done with the Online and Customer Service. Rude, unhelpful, and in my opinion sneaky/shady removing items in cart post payment.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My member number is: **. For many years I am getting invitation from you to visit my favorite store in Marina Del Rey to receive some gifts, rewards and so on, like now I received Weekender with purchase of 39 or more. My review is about that you sending me fake information: I never ever for all these years cannot get any rewards. It doesn't matter I came in 1 day or 10. Nothing available left. Can you organize control, where all your gifts are going. Or send less invitation, or send me my reward coupon which definitely gave me chance to get your rewards. Please stop cheating me. I am a good customer and deserve better attitude. With deep appreciation.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I am writing too because I am very unhappy with the level of customer service received. I have been calling the customer service line at 866-379-7463 which I was on hold for 1 hour! The message says, "Thank you for calling DSW. We appreciate your patience. One our customer service representatives will gladly assist you MOMENTARILY." Then you are given the option to press 1 if you would like the system to reserve your place in line for a callback and informing you the wait times of 65-84-85-87 minutes!!!

I then tried to utilize the "Live Chat" option and each time I received the message of "Thanks for being a Shoe Lover! We've got a crowd-looks like all of our Shoe Lovers are tied up right now! Please check back later. Be sure to check out our FAQ's for help in the meantime!" - How can this be??? This is crazy and absolutely unacceptable! My issue was relative to have two rewards member numbers which I would like to merge in order to take advantage of the 3 hour 30% off boot sale. Currently, I have been on hold for 99 minutes and still no callback or any live person has answered my call!!! I have never ever called any business and had to wait 96 minutes to speak to a service representative.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2017

This is an update since my last review. After having a terrible experience with DSW as they made it hard to reach anybody that would listen, I have to say they reached out to me and made it right. I ordered my boots with 2 day shipping and then found out they wouldn't make it here on time... when I called to cancel (within an hour of ordering) I couldn't get a hold of anyone very easily (terrible experience) and when I did they couldn't help me anyway.

So my boots were on their way and THEN I got an email showing a significant price difference (I paid WAY more) and I was very upset. I reached out to them in FB and they were quick to respond and make it right! I got my boots yesterday and I love them! Thank you DSW! I gave them 3 stars because it seems they need help on the customer service line and chat boxes but overall I'm very happy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I placed an order for a pair of boots with 2 day delivery. When I realized that it was after 3pm my time (central) that meant it was after the 4pm deadline for 2 day delivery, so I tried to cancel my order... but couldn’t. It hadn’t even been an hour when I decided to cancel so I thought for sure it would be no problem. I clicked open a chat box which said I had a 30 minute wait... Ok, no problem! After 30 minutes I had 4 chat boxes pop up that showed me I had a 0 minute wait and then a box that said 44 minutes??? After some more boxes came up and quite a while later someone finally came on and said “sorry I can’t help you... No one can but I’ll put in a request to cancel your order.”

A couple days later I receive an email showing that my shipment is delayed along with the product... showing that it costs $52.50... but I paid $129.00. So overpaid for the product and overpaid for shipping. I think DSW is a very dishonest and shady company. DO NOT order online from them unless you’re sure you want the item and that you don’t mind paying more. My item will arrive a week and a half after ordering with 2 day shipment... and I’m still being charged for 2 day. SMH.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I just received an order with which I have an issue. I called the C.S. #, and first, they said the wait time was 287 minutes - nearly 5 hours! Then I called and asked for "Sales," and the hold time was nearly an hour. As I held, a recording kept coming on every few minutes to update hold times, and every time it came back, the Hold times increased! by 2 minutes each time. This continued for about 15 minutes until I hung up. Then, I tried their online "Chat" feature. Hold times there were 34 minutes. Then I emailed, and got an auto response that they would get back to me. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered for an online store.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I ordered Sperry's for my boyfriend's birthday! 3 weeks go by, no emails or calls! Then when I call they say that they were shipped back. That FedEx couldn't locate my address. I have used online shopping countless times and never had a problem. They had to have them shipped to the store! I will never shop from them online ever again! Don't waste your time!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This site is very difficult to navigate. I'm a professional shopper, or used to be, at least. When on DSW, one inputs the information about size, type, etc., and each time you leave a specific shoe, it erases the information and you have to input all of your specs again!! I find this to be so labor intensive that I just give up! Also if you actually go to the brick and mortar, there are so many shoes at a better price, you feel horribly ripped off, when you shop online! You really don't get a good deal here unless you physically go the the store!

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

DSW Company Information

www.dsw.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use