1.69/5

256 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have and do make many purchases at this entity. I can actually locate the same shoe at another location for 20-30 dollars cheaper??? Interesting, right? When this entity is said and states that one can purchase shoes and accessories for a less expensive price. The employees are like zombies. They don’t speak or greet an individual while shopping. Employees surely do not ask if a person needs assistance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought these shoes online 5 days ago, and right afterwards, checked online to see what the reviews of DSW said. Honestly, I was shocked and quite scared when I saw all of the negative reviews about the company, saying the shipping took too long or the customer service was terrible. I don't know if I was just incredibly lucky this time, but my boots came exactly as I saw them online! Stylish, new, and comfortable, they were what I expected and more, especially based on the reviews. So I would say that so far, my experience with DSW has been excellent and I would recommend it to other customers.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I was shopping for some shoes, and could not find what I was looking for until Choko offered to help me. She has helped me several times and is ALWAYS smiling, helpful, positive, professional and knowledgeable. Anyone with high standards would agree, she is a A+++ associate!! I will shop at this particular store because of her!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The products are great. The personnel at the store are polite and helpful. My shopping experience have been fine. My orders have been precise. My only complaint is that my orders travel too many states and they take too many days to get to me. But other than that I'm pleased with DSW. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I am writing in response to the various complaints about DSW promotions and customer service. As a long time DSW shopper and VIP Elite customer, I have occasionally received what I thought were wrong items, duplicate items and only once, a missing promotional item. DSW always does their best to make things right if the product is available even when the mistake was my entering an order incorrectly.

A few things learned are, if ordering a promotional item, you need to add the actual promotional item to the shopping cart, when you check out, add the coupon for the promo, the price of the promo item then goes to zero. I only made this mistake once, read those coupons carefully. Also, they do seem to be working with a lighter staff on the phone lines (either that or they are spending more time with each customer). I have timed it and found if you let them add you to the callback list, you will be called back, usually about 15 minutes. I hope this helps a bit, especially those of you trying to take advantage of their special offers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I received an email that included a promo code for a free promotional bag if purchasing Crocs. My online order was taken and the confirmation showed the free bag. A couple of days later, I received an email indicating that they ran out of bags. I emailed them and told them to cancel my order, as, I would not have ordered the shoes if it were not for the promotional bag. Then, 5 days later, they sent me an email saying my shoes had shipped. Again, I sent the email and told them that I cancelled the order, and would refuse the shoes. I have a feeling this battle is not over. Allow me to also say that when I placed this order online, it would not allow me to ship to any other location other than the billing address.

Thus, I immediately called them in order to correct the shipping address. They could not find my order. Held for over 30 minutes. Finally they came back on the phone to tell me computers were down, so they could not correct the shipping address, and that the shoes would ship to my billing address. (This was prior to them sending me the email saying I would not receive the bag.) I am so disappointed for several reasons with DSW. It appears they use the promotional gifts to lure you in, then never deliver. Oh...they did offer me a 10.00 discount because of the bag. Online, they valued the bag at 39.00. LOL.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Order was placed over the phone for a store pick up. Order was canceled however card was charged twice. They lied and said the money was on hold and never taken from my account even though my bank says otherwise. Another week passes and bank determines that it’s indeed fully processed from DSW. Called them back and they continued to lie until I challenged them and then confirmed that they had taken money out. Now we want you to wait another week for us to process the refund they claimed was already processed. A week later and still no money. I think it’s time to collaborate with others and seek legal advice/action.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I went online to DSW.com to select a few pairs of shoes. I had received a couple coupons in the mail and was looking forward to using them via the website. Much more convenient than driving to the store. None of the filters worked, nor did the search screen. I could not get anywhere. I tried searching by size, brand, materials, etc. Nothing worked. I was continually returned to the main screen for women's shoes no matter what I selected or entered. Like most everyone, my time is valuable. I certainly do not have time to scroll through hundreds if not thousands of shoes. I will move on to another company where the site actually works. I have no idea what kinds of issues DSW is having with their site. It's clear a major department there has dropped the ball. Hope others out there have had better luck than I have. What a shame.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I attempted to place an order online for store pickup. First order was from a store convenient to me that indicated it would be ready for pickup within 4 hours. Two hours later I received an email stating the order was canceled as the store didn’t have the item. I ordered again from another store that had it available for pickup within 4 hours. Once again the order was canceled because the store didn’t have it. This happened 4 1/2 hours after the order was placed and only after I went to pick it up. I called customer service and was told they would expedite shipping and I would receive it within 2 days. At the end of the second day I received and email saying they were still working on it and would notify me when it shipped. Another call to customer service was totally unsatisfactory. Apparently their system is totally unreliable and daid not indicate if any of their stores actually had it. Will NEVER order from DSW again.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Purchased shoes on 4/17/19. Shoes were too wide. I never wore them. Price including shipping was 35.94. Read on website that there would be an 8.50 fee for return. All they credited me was 18.25. They kept 17.79. I realize I could have went to their store and the 8.50 would have been waived, but what happens to the 9.29. They kept with no explanation. I am protesting this with my credit card company. Terrible company to do business with. A complete rip off.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Absolutely disgusting, rude, unprofessional customer "service". They made 5 mistakes in a simple refund transaction. Taking hours on the phone, no money refunded after 15 days!!! Reps have no training or knowledge. I have never seen such horrible low level company. The worst.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have ordered shoes online from DSW on multiple past occasions and they have always arrived in 3-4 days. I ordered 2 pairs to take on vacation with me, about 6 days before I planned to leave. After 3 days, I received an email saying that my order was still being processed and had not yet shipped. I called customer service to see if I could switch my order to in-store pickup, or at least cancel the order and then just go purchase the shoes in store. He informed me that even if they were shipped to the store they still would not arrive in time, and it was also too late to change or cancel the order. If it hasn't shipped, how is it too late to cancel it? I won't shop here again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Order shoes that they never even had in stock but are continuing to sell on the website. Paid for overnight shipping, never got them, and a week later received an email they never even had that shoe in stock. Another order came a week later after paying for two day shipping. Seems unorganized, and mismanaged.

Original review: April 23, 2019

This company will not refund online orders easily. I returned two pairs of shoes weeks ago and have been unable to get the refund due me. Is there a place to report this kind of problem? I used the “live chat” and phone representative, neither helpful.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My summary says it all. I ordered a beautiful pair of Sam Edelman ankle-strap pumps in fuschia from DSW (Designer Shoes Warehouse). Despite the fact they arrived in a plain brown shoe box marked size 8 (I ordered sized 7), I found a size seven shoe inside. It had a white chalky power on it but I brushed it off pretty well and tried it on. For a brief moment in time I became Cinderella - the shoe was elegant and it fit like a dream. I decided to try on the other shoe. It seemed a little big - as if Cinderella's cruel stepsister's bulbous foot had stretched it out. I slipped off the too-big shoe and looked at its underside - marked size 8. Sigh... I immediately called DSW customer service and spoke with Nina **. Nina was wonderful: kind, apologetic, and resourceful. In five minutes time, Nina emailed me a return to sender label and gave me a discount on the next pair of DSW shoes I order online. Thank you, Nina **! Cinderella will champion on!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I believe they are in financial trouble. I ordered a couple pairs of shoes- $100.92 - I decided right after to cancel. I got in touch with them immediately and they cancelled the order, but they charged me for the shoes. That was over a week ago and they still have not returned the money to my debit card account. I have been in touch with them twice and they tell me their policy is 3-5 business days. If you can debit my account in two seconds, you should be able to refund it in two seconds. They are holding my money and I never had a shipment sent out... No shoes, but I've paid for them and I have a bad feeling I'm not going to get my money back. I told them I was going to the BBB - it didn't faze them. This store is crooked and these are signs of cash flow problems. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

I've been a DSW customer for many years and without issue but I really got to see who they were once I needed an issue resolved with their customer service team. This experience has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will never shop with them again and am trying to find a way to delete my account with them altogether. I have made several purchases with them both in store and online but for some reason, something went wrong when I made several purchases during the Christmas holiday 2018. After all orders were delivered and settled, I noticed that there was a pending transaction from DSW on my bank account. Thinking it would at some point go away in a reasonable period of time, it is still on my account and it is now April!!

I've emailed them with no response, I tried calling customer service but no one ever answers the call. I requested assistance from my bank and they were able to cancel the pending transaction and I thought it was resolved. But the transaction popped back up in my account the next day! I called back to my bank to see if I had any other recourse but they're unable to keep canceling it and I can only dispute it once it is a processed transaction. Well it never processes but places a hold on the money in my account. My bank suggested I go into the store since I was having no luck with email/phone. Unfortunately, their apathetic reps in store couldn't care less about helping you with an issue and just want to sell you shoes.

One of the cashiers called someone (I have no idea who) and the person on the phone says I have to go back to my bank! Even after I explained that the bank that it is their transaction! At any rate, I left the store more frustrated and annoyed than ever. Apparently the only way to remedy this is to have the transaction canceled again and close my account. I will never shop with them again and I am trying to delete my entire account and be done with them. I can buy beautiful shoes anywhere, they aren't the only game in town!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I placed my first online order with DSW for a pair of Canvas shoes in Camo design. They shipped my order a few days later but in the wrong color. I contacted customer service and they send a replacement pair at no charge. Sadly they were once again the wrong color. I contacted them AGAIN and they send another pair at no charge. This time there were not even the same shoe but a leather bootie!!

I had to contact customer service several times to get 3 return shipping labels. I also had to bring them to FedEx in order to ship back (unless I wanted to pay out of pocket to ship). I returned them all - they confirmed all were received and my refund would be processed in 5-7 days. I am still waiting and it has been over a month. I have contacted customer service by email several times and just go "round and round". I have tried to call but who can hold for 70 minutes to talk to someone?? This is the worst customer service and online ordering experience I have ever had. They have lost a customer for life.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have been to DSW quite a few times. The last 2 or 3 times I have left empty handed. Not that I didn't find anything I wanted. They just NEVER have my size. It's frustrating. I could order online but I was not pleased last time. They sent me a used pair of shoes. The bottoms were very dirty and there was mulch, wood pieces stuck in the bottom of the shoes. They wanted me to pay to send them back. DSW is the one who sent me used shoes! Done with DSW.

Original review: March 28, 2019

DSW is one of my favorite places to shop for shoes. They stock the latest styles and if they’re not in stock, they will order them for you. The rewards program, provides a great savings, in addition to already discounted shoes.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought a pair of Bernardo Boots online on 01/31 for $164.68. I had to return them because I changed my mind. The shipping was free and I received a refund of $154.99. I should have received my full $164.88. I was told I only received the 154.99 because of shipping even tho the shipping was free. I will not purchase anything from DSW until I receive my full amount. Thank you.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was looking for Asics Gel Contend 4 in DSW. The store didn’t have them in my size. The cashier said she would order them online for me and have them shipped to my house. I paid for the shoes and went home believing I would receive what I paid for in the time it was promised. It’s been almost a month and I have not received the shoes. I’ve contacted customer service multiple times and although they agreed to refund the money because the shoes are out of stock, I haven’t received the refund either. DSW doesn’t care what happens as long as they get their money.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I ordered a pair of Adidas and when it arrived it came in a brown box and the bottom of the shoes appeared as though someone already had used them. I called and was told to return the shoes with the FedEx label provided and that after they received it I would get an email from DSW to get a replacement as I have stated to them I want a replacement.

I returned the shoes the next day through FedEx. I tracked them and they were successfully returned to DSW and an employee of DSW signed for the package as well. 2 weeks later I never receive an email so I called DSW and was told that they would put in a replacement order in and that I would receive an email confirmation of the replacement order shortly. Well I never received it.

Afterwards I decided to speak to a live agent through the DSW website and was told, "Sorry we didn't receive your returned shoes". I couldn't believe this DSW employee had the guts to try to lie to me and I responded that they have indeed received the returned shoes as I have signed proof through FedEx that a DSW employee did sign for the package. The live agent then apologised and pretended it was a mistake on his part. He then said he put in a request for a replacement for me and guess what the order replacement he claimed to have done never showed up and never even showed up on my order list on my VIP account on DSW.com nor did I receive an email confirmation.

I try again and this other agent finally put in a replacement and I receive an email confirmation of it and here I am thinking finally I am going to receive the shoes I paid for which were 60$ but DSW decided to continue to play games. It's been a month and I have still not received my shoe replacement. I have copies of my conversations with this DSW company, as well as pictures of the used Adidas they sent me and will be speaking to an attorney about this. I really wish I would have seen these reviews before placing an order with DSW. The other reviews as well as my experience are true DSW is disgusting and I will never purchase from them again.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I ordered a pair of Marc Jacobs over the knee boots on DSW and decided to use Afterpay because I had some other expenses and $89.00 for boots on sale at that time was a bit of a crunch and these shoes were to be a birthday present. I have NO issues with Afterpay. Used them with other vendors. My order was approved and I asked the boots be delivered direct to a store so I didn't risk theft of the boots from my porch. I was notified the boots had been delivered and I had 7 days to pick them up.

Two days later I get an email from both Afterpay and DSW. My order was cancelled. No reason. Boots were apparently cancelled at store and resold. NICE. My gut feeling it was an associate who wanted the boots and pulled this. I've been a VIP shopper for years there. Boots are now sold out. I am missing a bday gift and the CS supervisor as DSW offered a $20 coupon. Keep it. I heard on the news they are in as much trouble as Payless. I can see why. I will not patronize a company who treats customers like that or hires dishonest employees. Honestly I can probably get a better deal on Amazon.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I ordered a pair of Reebok sneakers for my dad and the top of the package was cut wide open. Then, when I opened it, the top of shoes' box was missing and the box looked to be pretty beat up. What makes it worse the shoes was completely exposed! I was hoping to wrap the shoes in its box for my dad to receive. I would think that they would have their shipping figured out.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I ordered a pair of shoes that turned out to be too big so I requested an exchange. I had got a refund but I had changed my mind and just wanted them to treat it as a return because I had unexpected daycare fees. I called three times and spoke to several different people for the last week or so to reassure that my card would not be recharged and that an exchange order would not be placed. I was told that they wouldn’t do that and that it sounded like I just got a refund and “we don’t even do it like that” but said if I was going to be recharged that I would be notified before it happened so I can say that I didn’t want it, which sounded crazy to me anyway because I was already telling them that I DIDN'T WANT THE EXCHANGE! Anyways they charged me anyways and I overdrafted. DON'T BUY FROM DSW! Save yourself some money and order from somewhere else because they overcharge for basic shoes anyways.

Original review: March 18, 2019

For the prices, you're charging there should be a better variety and product selection. These shoes look like what is left over from stores and could sell. Your stating your styles and variety of shoes are great. NOT REALLY.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The look and prices are great. Even though I prefer to try them on, in the store to compare the fit. Online purchases here have been a perfect fit. And I can definitely say that the shoes are just as the description states. The value for the money cannot be beat.

Original review: March 13, 2019

BUYER BEWARE. Do not use the after pay program when making any purchases through DSW. It is a complete nightmare. I ordered online, and went to return to the store, they wanted to give me a "store credit" was my only option. So I left the store with the shoes and dropped it off at FedEx the next day in one package with return packing slip they sent with it. No today almost 10 days later they only refunded me partial. I am not getting any straight answers from anyone. If you buy, use your own source of payment or better yet cash. I am so aggravated with DSW right now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I was really excited to find a style of snow boot similar to some Columbia Sport ones, I bought a few years back. I've been shopping online at DSW for years, without any issues. I found a pair on DSW.com and decided to purchase them because they had a good deal where you could receive a free lunch tote with shoe purchase. The snow boots came within a few days, and I was extremely shocked by the condition. They actually sent me a used pair of snow boots. The boots were clearly open boxed clearance rack shoes from one of their stores. The clearance tag sticker was on them, The box was ripped and worn, the boots were dirty and the bottoms looked like they had been returned several times.

I called customer service, only to wait for 30 minutes before I could speak with a live person. The customer service agent didn't seemed surprised by the fact of what I had received in the mail. The service rep didn't apologize on behalf of the company. She only stated that she could send out another pair, and would make sure they were inspected before being shipped. When I returned the dirty pair of boots at one of their stores, the cashier was not phased by it either...still no apologies on behalf of DSW. When I received the "new" pair, the box was in slightly better condition, but you could tell, the shoes had been worn and returned. They were not a brand new pair of shoes, which is what I paid for. This is the last time I will purchase anything from DSW.

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs