1.55/5

206 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I will never shop at DSW again, online or in store. They simply are an untrustworthy company! I placed an order online to use my rewards and a promo for a "free" bag. I paid with PayPal, as it's usually a safe bet for online purchases. I signed no billing agreement with them to link my PayPal account, but somehow, after the original authorization amount, they were able to withdraw money from my account 5 more times, in some of the strangest amounts, ranging from $1.70-$24.18! WTF.

While this preposterous financial disaster was unfolding before my eyes, we were also in the middle of Hurricane Michael, which wrecked our town and left us without power and the inability to leave our road. In between charging my phone battery in the car, I was able to email customer service and find out they were charging me for the free bag because of items that were cancelled in my order, despite at least one still showing as being in stock at the time of writing this. They gave me a partial refund, but it is still more than the original price and doesn't take into account the items that were cancelled. So, not only do I have less money available on my credit card in the midst of a natural disaster our area has never seen, I also have been charged more for less items. I will never shop here again, they are criminals.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The products are great. The personnel at the store are polite and helpful. My shopping experience have been fine. My orders have been precise. My only complaint is that my orders travel too many states and they take too many days to get to me. But other than that I'm pleased with DSW. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered a pair of Women’s Dr. Martens 1460 conbat boots in Size UK 5 / US 7. I received it in Size UK 3 / US 5. I contacted customer service right away explaining the issue and was offered a hand pack order with the correct size. I requested the correct size, Size UK 5 / US 7. When I received confirmation for the hand packed order, it said the Size UK 3 / US 5. Disheartened, I contacted customer service again addressing the problem with screenshots of previous customer service conversations and my email confirmation for my original order, as well as a suggestion that there may be a glitch in their systems in which it converted Size UK 5 to Size US 5.

I waited three and a half days to get a response, that in short said that one of their shoe lovers (customer service representatives) already helped me with my problem. I received this type of message from customer service representatives not once, but twice. They completely ignored my suggestion that there may be a problem with their shoe sizing problem, as well as my own problem with receiving the wrong size shoe twice. I will never shop at DSW again after I resolve this problem on my own.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I frequently buy shoes from DSW because they often have the biggest selection to choose from. I typically buy in the store and use the coupons that are sent to me in the mail. However, this is my second bad experience with trying to order online. The first was when my account was showing a $10 credit/reward directly in my email, but when I logged into my DSW account online it said I had no credits/rewards to use. Odd because the account numbers matched from my email and my DSW account. My second and most recent bad experience is due to wanting to use their "FALLFEELS" code to get $10 off my $25 purchase for being a VIP member.

I decided to take the plunge on the shoes that I have been eyeing for months. I go to checkout and I get the following error message: "Sorry, this offer was provided to another customer and is unable to be shared. Please ensure you are logged into the VIP account associated with this offer." OK for one, this is a mass-email promo code, it is not just tailored to me. And for two, I am logged into the correct (the one and only account that I have with DSW!!) account. I guess they don't want me to order shoes from them online anymore!

As a side note, if you browse their website for "too long" they eventually flag you as being suspicious and you can no longer search their site - I usually have to open an "incognito" tab in Chrome. They have pages and pages and pages of shoes but I guess you're only supposed to take 5 minutes to look at them all and then make a decision.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This is the absolute WORST customer service I have ever experienced. When I originally placed my order for 5 pairs of shoes, the order went through just fine and my card was charged for the whole amount. A few days later I received an email notifying me that 3 of the 5 pairs I ordered are unable to ship to my location... Now call me crazy, but I feel like this should have been addressed prior to charging my card for the whole amount... Shouldn't they know that when those items are in my basket and I enter my shipping address that they aren't able to ship to my location?

I then asked if I could just go-ahead and cancel my entire order, to which they replied that my order was "too far along in the fulfillment process" (even though it hadn't even shipped yet) to cancel the order. I received an email that my remaining items shipped on 9/19/18. It is now 10/2/18 and my order tracking still says "pending delivery" somewhere in another state. I have now been on hold for 10 minutes with no luck of speaking to an actual person. I will NEVER be ordering from DSW again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have just received shoes that I need to exchange. I have phoned several times because they neglected to put a return label in the box. Now I’m on hold for 30 min. so far. I will NEVER order from them again. There is no telling how much longer I will have to wait. I don’t trust them to call me back.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Words can't express how disappointed I am with their customer service! I have no problem buying shoes in person but I do not recommend buying shoes through online. I am a DSW VIP and received a deal, "Buy $39 shoes and get a free Corduroy bag for free", so I did that and placed my orders. The moment I placed my order, it said the bag was available but a week later, DSW sent out an email explaining that the bag was unavailable. I wouldn't have bought my shoes if I knew they discontinued the deal, so I sent them a complaint email and they responded a few days later, explaining that they took $15 off + re-ordered a new bag for me and I should be expecting a shipping confirmation in the next few days.

To my surprise, that did not happen. Another week passed and I decided to send them another message, they responded back, "We're sorry, your order has not been placed yet. We apologize for the delay." Seriously DSW?! I am so disappointed with your customer service and the way you handled things. So I advise you, dear friend, DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR ITEMS ONLINE, IT IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Hello DSW! I’m VERY unsatisfied with my experience buying 2 pair of shoes online. Terrible Customer Care! The first one (Order Number: **) I received it in a different color than the one I ordered. I ordered a Bronze Metallic and received a Rose Gold. I tried to call but after 20 minutes waiting on the line, all agents were still busy. So, I sent an email and it took 3 days to receive an answer. I sent the package back and 10 days later (Today) I received the “right” color I ordered. But guess what? You sent me AGAIN the wrong color! And on top of it, this color (rose gold) is a lot cheaper than the one I bought.

I was going to use these shoes on a wedding and didn’t happened. Now, I was going to take them to a cruise this Saturday but it’s not going to happen. What kind of service is this? My second order (Order Number: **), I received it and I loved them, very comfortable. But, I have used them only twice and one of the shoes is almost broken. I sent an email with a picture but of course, no answer yet. Totally a disaster! I want a solution as soon as possible please.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Hello DSW! I’m VERY unsatisfied with my experience buying 2 pair of shoes online. Terrible Customer Care! The first one (Order Number: **) I received it in a different color than the one I ordered. I ordered a Bronze Metallic and received a Rose Gold. I tried to call but after 20 minutes waiting on the line, all agents were still busy. So, I sent an email and it took 3 days to receive an answer. I sent the package back and 10 days later (Today) I received the “right” color I ordered. But guess what? You sent me AGAIN the wrong color! And on top of it, this color (rose gold) is a lot cheaper that the one I bought.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

DSW is a joke. I ordered 3 pairs of shoes 2 months ago and they only delivered one. I called and the lady acknowledged their error and said she was going to send the shoes to the store close to me and I eventually returned 2 of the 3. I got an email that read, “You’ll get your $73 and change refund in 7-10 business days.” This is 2 months and after 2 calls and lies, I’m still here, no refund. I guess customer service and reputation is not of importance to this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I wanted to buy Fila shoes in size 8 online. I found the pair I needed in a DSW store. I ordered the item and after a couple of days I received a call saying that I could go pick up my order from the store. When I told an employee there about it they said that my purchase wasnt in the system, also saying that there was something wrong with the payment. So I went back and ordered the shoes again. After making a second trip there, they said that my order was cancelled due to the fact that it was out of stock. I went back the VERY NEXT DAY, and bought the shoes in the exact size I needed. Not to mention there were plenty of other size choices fully stocked in store.

For the past ten days or so I have called and emailed customer representatives. They said they would give me a $10 discount, however, I think I need the money I paid back from them. I cant help but think that they lied to me about the shoes not being in stock. I then get an email from a representative saying they are sorry, but they didnt help me at all in anyway. This was the last purchase I will ever make from them. A little advice, dont buy anything online from.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I buy shoes online, because I like the idea of buying NEW shoes; however, buying at DSW, you're sent shoes that have been worn before, and all too often have scuff marks, because the shoes ordered on DSW.com (as well as bags, and other accessories) are *not* shipped from a warehouse, but instead are simply shipped from one of DSW's 100s of stores. Buyer beware: if you buy shoes at DSW.com, you are getting shoes that have already been worn by someone shopping at a DSW, and they will probably arrive all scuffed up (which has happened to me much too often). I am done shopping at DSW! I now buy my shoes from Shoes.com (a subsidiary of Wal-Mart); the shoes come *brand new* from a warehouse, so you never have to worry about them arriving worn, and scuffed up! Auf wiedersehen, DSW! You've lost a loyal customer!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I placed an order for a pair of boots, and two other pair of shoes. The day my boots were scheduled to arrive, they never showed up. I went online to track my order and was notified that my order had been delivered already... To an address somewhere in California! Being that I live in Texas, I called customer service immediately and was told they have no idea why it went to another location and that I would need to wait until Friday when the rest of my order would be delivered. I told the rep that I needed the boots for a trip the following week.

FYI I tried to order the same boots last year and I never received them because they too, went to some location in California even though they had my correct address in Texas as the shipping/billing address! I never was able to get those boots then because they sold out when I tried to order again. So fast forward to now, I had to reorder the boots, and I was ASSURED that they were in stock and being sent to my correct Texas address. Two days later, I get an email notifying me that my boot order was canceled since they no longer have them in stock! I called and complained, and emailed customer service, only to get a generic response/apology. WHAT A JOKE!

After too many times ordering, telling me my order is in stock and then having my order screwed up (California... REALLY?) or having my order canceled a few days later due to NOT having it in stock, I AM DONE with this company! This seems to be acceptable to this company since they do this frequently (I know I can't be the only one!), and I hope I can save someone else from the frustration and disappointment that ordering from DSW online has brought me. There are too many other choices in stores to buy shoes and ones that actually care about customers and the orders they place.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Last Sunday I went into DSW in North Haven CT. I needed help finding a price on boots and I couldn’t find anyone on the floor nearby so I brought the box to the register. There was no price on the box or the display but I planned on buying the boots so I waited my turn and when it was mine I approached the counter. The cashier was on the phone and I didn’t realize it at first so I said “hi how are you”. Nothing. Not even eye contact. I then realized she was on the phone so I waited. She didn’t say sorry or anything. She just started ringing me out. I had sandals and the boots but like I said I needed to know the price. So I asked her what the price was and said I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Very abruptly she said “it’s not on the box? Where didn’t you see it?” To be honest I was thinking why does it matter where I didn’t see it. I didn’t see it so just tell me but I just smiled and said I couldn’t find it and to please let me know what it was. She told me and I said I would buy it. So as she rang me out she continued with a very rude attitude. Two days later I returned the sandals because my daughter didn’t like the way they felt. She only tried them on and walked a little around the house. When I returned them I had just as terrible of an experience. First the cashier tried to say they were worn and called a manager because I insisted they weren’t. The manager agreed they weren’t and the whole transaction was very unprofessional. I will never return to this store.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I order shoes and showed free shipping as an ELITE member and also free gift beach bag. I received the order with $7.95 charge for shipping and of course no bag. I contacted customer service and so far have received 3 generic responses of how to apply a promo code and that being elite doesn't mean free shipping always, although when I was checking out my order showed clearly free shipping. Also they said, "Oh, good news, we are going to send you a bag, we are out of stock, so we don't really know and we hope we get more, but you are on our list." What a messed up customer service this is! Will stop getting anything from their stores.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I ordered (4) pairs of turquoise sandals by FitFlop. Only 3 were shipped. Iyanna from Customer Service in Ohio stated there were 125 of these items in stock. So if they are in stock, why am I only getting 3 out of 4 that I ordered??? I tried contacting customer service on Facebook and I'm being ignored... The customer service on the phone is non-existent as well. Other customers waited 4-6 HOURS and never get through. I'm not willing to do that. Either they comply or I reverse the charges. That simple. I have yet to receive the package and hope that the ones I ordered are the *CORRECT* item number and size because they mess that up too. If that happens, I will drive to Allentown where I saw a store location and I'll just return them over there if they are the wrong ones. But I'll dispute the one that never shipped.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have always been a big fan of DSW, however, I no longer will shop at their stores. The last few times I was there, I saw several customers trying on shoes with just their bare feet. This is clearly a potential health risk for anyone else trying on those same shoes. I think that the employees need to be trained to prevent this from happening.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I ordered a stand up advertising poster on 6-23-2018 and it said it would be delivered on 6-29-2018. Just in time for a major event I have celebrating the 4th of July. When it didn't show up when they said it would I called in to find out why. They said that it wasn't even printed yet! I said what?! They took no real responsibility for the massive incompetence and told me that they would refund me my money. I told them I can care less about the $85 it cost me because they just cost me possible thousands of dollars and clients because they lied and promised a product on a certain day and time and they didn't even come close to delivering on that.

I asked them they could overnight it so I would have it on time for my event and they said no! The best they could do it on or before the 5th! WTH! That does me no good cause the event is on the 3rd. These people have to concern for other people’s personal time or that of any company that orders products from them. Plus!!! Their printing facility is in Canada!!! Why the hell is it in Canada? The incompetence is astounding! Take your adverting and printing jobs somewhere other than Vista Print! I have recorded phone calls and photos to prove it was false advertising and I'm going to be speaking with my lawyers.

Original review: June 28, 2018

First order and definitely the last. My order sat on the processing queue for about 4 days. I called but couldn’t get through. Tried the chat but nobody was available. So I sent an email and got an instant reply stating they have a high volume of inquiries. They responded the next day and miraculously my order was showing shipped now. Then I notice I was charged twice. So I am going through the same circle, one email a day. Still can’t get a person on the phone or chat. And they can’t seem to understand that per my order that I sent a pic of I should only be charged $99. They keep telling me that my order is $108. So once the shoes get here I will be returning them because they can’t seem to be able to figure out simple math. This company has terrible customer service. I will not be returning here ever again.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I am writing in response to the various complaints about DSW promotions and customer service. As a long time DSW shopper and VIP Elite customer, I have occasionally received what I thought were wrong items, duplicate items and only once, a missing promotional item. DSW always does their best to make things right if the product is available even when the mistake was my entering an order incorrectly.

A few things learned are, if ordering a promotional item, you need to add the actual promotional item to the shopping cart, when you check out, add the coupon for the promo, the price of the promo item then goes to zero. I only made this mistake once, read those coupons carefully. Also, they do seem to be working with a lighter staff on the phone lines (either that or they are spending more time with each customer). I have timed it and found if you let them add you to the callback list, you will be called back, usually about 15 minutes. I hope this helps a bit, especially those of you trying to take advantage of their special offers.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Recently purchased shoes online during free item promotion. Ordered the shoes and put in promotion code and all confirmed. Then I got the confirmation of purchase email and promotion not included. Repeated attempts to communicate with DSW ignored or put off. Liked the shoes. Hated the promotion. Was a ruse. Most of all hate the total lack of customer service. Will not purchase online from them ever again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

If I could give a negative 10-star review I would. I placed an order for a pair of shoes only to get the free promotional item (tote cooler). First of all, it took well over a week and a half to receive the shoes, but there was no tote bag included. I called customer service 3 times that day but hung up due to extremely long hold time. I tried to do Online Chat but it was unavailable. I have tried calling customer service multiple times over the past few days, but still no answer. I have emailed 4 times and received a pre-recorded response saying they are extremely busy and will get back to me. What in the heck is going on with DSW? Are all of their workers on strike??? I will never again do business with DSW. Extremely unprofessional and unethical to not follow through with promised merchandise and to not answer customer concerns or complaints!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I placed an order very early within the free weekender bag promotion, but I did not receive a bag. In order to meet the requirements of the promotion, I purchased a more expensive shoe than I would have chosen had there not been a promotion. When I contacted customer service, their response was to tell me that they are out of the weekender bag and to be on the lookout for the next promotion and buy more shoes and I'll get the promotion. This is an unacceptable response. If it's not false advertising, it's bait and switch at a minimum. I'm very disappointed in DSW's nonchalant customer service and lack of effort in attempting to satisfy their loyal customers.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If I could give a negative review I would. Why do they bother having a customer service department? They do not answer the phone, do not respond to emails and their online chat does not work. If you have any issue with your order at all there is no way to get in touch with anybody to correct the problem. They need to stop with the auto response emails that their volume is too high if they cannot handle their customers. They need to hire more staff or get their current staff to do their jobs.

Resolution response: June 11, 2018

I left a bad review but I'm amending it. DSW was very helpful. My shoes went to my old address. In Ohio, I'm in SC but they didn't give me a hassle. In minutes they sent out an order & 2 day free shipping for the inconvenience. You do have to wait a bit but I'm very satisfied.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been a VIP customer for a long time but I always went to the store. Now I can't get there so I order online. It takes them over a week to process the order. I've had good shoes but I won't order again. It just takes too long to get the shoes. At least 2 weeks & that is just too long. I've bought from other stores and I can have the shoes in 2 days. Some 4 but never this long. So long DSW.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love the shoes that they have which have fair prices but unfortunately, they only have very few choices in my size. I am tall so have to wear a size 11 or 11 1/2.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have shopped with this company for a long time, but, I will never do so again. Orders place online take close to two weeks to receive. They ship via FedEx, but, in the final week, the order is transferred to USPS which adds another delay. I tried the chat service, but, it ALWAYS says it is too busy. I really don't think the chat service even exists! I phoned and waited on hold for 45 minutes and the line went dead. Using this company is an incredible hassle. There are many other shoes available to have to deal with this.

Original review: June 2, 2018

DSW has great selection online. But they definitely need more narrow shoes for people like me with skinny feet. But they ship super quickly and if your shoes do not fit or you just don’t like them, they will pick them up and return them at no cost to you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ordered a pair of sneakers, arrived in a few days, no problems with fit and used a coupon for an outstanding price. Sign up for online sales and coupons.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a gold member with DSW so I shop online as well as in store regularly. I often find the specific shoes I want online and order. They always come very timely and have an easy return/ exchange police both online and in the store.

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs