1.65/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

195 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I buy shoes online, because I like the idea of buying NEW shoes; however, buying at DSW, you're sent shoes that have been worn before, and all too often have scuff marks, because the shoes ordered on DSW.com (as well as bags, and other accessories) are *not* shipped from a warehouse, but instead are simply shipped from one of DSW's 100s of stores. Buyer beware: if you buy shoes at DSW.com, you are getting shoes that have already been worn by someone shopping at a DSW, and they will probably arrive all scuffed up (which has happened to me much too often). I am done shopping at DSW! I now buy my shoes from Shoes.com (a subsidiary of Wal-Mart); the shoes come *brand new* from a warehouse, so you never have to worry about them arriving worn, and scuffed up! Auf wiedersehen, DSW! You've lost a loyal customer!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I placed an order for a pair of boots, and two other pair of shoes. The day my boots were scheduled to arrive, they never showed up. I went online to track my order and was notified that my order had been delivered already... To an address somewhere in California! Being that I live in Texas, I called customer service immediately and was told they have no idea why it went to another location and that I would need to wait until Friday when the rest of my order would be delivered. I told the rep that I needed the boots for a trip the following week.

FYI I tried to order the same boots last year and I never received them because they too, went to some location in California even though they had my correct address in Texas as the shipping/billing address! I never was able to get those boots then because they sold out when I tried to order again. So fast forward to now, I had to reorder the boots, and I was ASSURED that they were in stock and being sent to my correct Texas address. Two days later, I get an email notifying me that my boot order was canceled since they no longer have them in stock! I called and complained, and emailed customer service, only to get a generic response/apology. WHAT A JOKE!

After too many times ordering, telling me my order is in stock and then having my order screwed up (California... REALLY?) or having my order canceled a few days later due to NOT having it in stock, I AM DONE with this company! This seems to be acceptable to this company since they do this frequently (I know I can't be the only one!), and I hope I can save someone else from the frustration and disappointment that ordering from DSW online has brought me. There are too many other choices in stores to buy shoes and ones that actually care about customers and the orders they place.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Last Sunday I went into DSW in North Haven CT. I needed help finding a price on boots and I couldn’t find anyone on the floor nearby so I brought the box to the register. There was no price on the box or the display but I planned on buying the boots so I waited my turn and when it was mine I approached the counter. The cashier was on the phone and I didn’t realize it at first so I said “hi how are you”. Nothing. Not even eye contact. I then realized she was on the phone so I waited. She didn’t say sorry or anything. She just started ringing me out. I had sandals and the boots but like I said I needed to know the price. So I asked her what the price was and said I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Very abruptly she said “it’s not on the box? Where didn’t you see it?” To be honest I was thinking why does it matter where I didn’t see it. I didn’t see it so just tell me but I just smiled and said I couldn’t find it and to please let me know what it was. She told me and I said I would buy it. So as she rang me out she continued with a very rude attitude. Two days later I returned the sandals because my daughter didn’t like the way they felt. She only tried them on and walked a little around the house. When I returned them I had just as terrible of an experience. First the cashier tried to say they were worn and called a manager because I insisted they weren’t. The manager agreed they weren’t and the whole transaction was very unprofessional. I will never return to this store.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I order shoes and showed free shipping as an ELITE member and also free gift beach bag. I received the order with $7.95 charge for shipping and of course no bag. I contacted customer service and so far have received 3 generic responses of how to apply a promo code and that being elite doesn't mean free shipping always, although when I was checking out my order showed clearly free shipping. Also they said, "Oh, good news, we are going to send you a bag, we are out of stock, so we don't really know and we hope we get more, but you are on our list." What a messed up customer service this is! Will stop getting anything from their stores.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I ordered (4) pairs of turquoise sandals by FitFlop. Only 3 were shipped. Iyanna from Customer Service in Ohio stated there were 125 of these items in stock. So if they are in stock, why am I only getting 3 out of 4 that I ordered??? I tried contacting customer service on Facebook and I'm being ignored... The customer service on the phone is non-existent as well. Other customers waited 4-6 HOURS and never get through. I'm not willing to do that. Either they comply or I reverse the charges. That simple. I have yet to receive the package and hope that the ones I ordered are the *CORRECT* item number and size because they mess that up too. If that happens, I will drive to Allentown where I saw a store location and I'll just return them over there if they are the wrong ones. But I'll dispute the one that never shipped.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have always been a big fan of DSW, however, I no longer will shop at their stores. The last few times I was there, I saw several customers trying on shoes with just their bare feet. This is clearly a potential health risk for anyone else trying on those same shoes. I think that the employees need to be trained to prevent this from happening.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I ordered a stand up advertising poster on 6-23-2018 and it said it would be delivered on 6-29-2018. Just in time for a major event I have celebrating the 4th of July. When it didn't show up when they said it would I called in to find out why. They said that it wasn't even printed yet! I said what?! They took no real responsibility for the massive incompetence and told me that they would refund me my money. I told them I can care less about the $85 it cost me because they just cost me possible thousands of dollars and clients because they lied and promised a product on a certain day and time and they didn't even come close to delivering on that.

I asked them they could overnight it so I would have it on time for my event and they said no! The best they could do it on or before the 5th! WTH! That does me no good cause the event is on the 3rd. These people have to concern for other people’s personal time or that of any company that orders products from them. Plus!!! Their printing facility is in Canada!!! Why the hell is it in Canada? The incompetence is astounding! Take your adverting and printing jobs somewhere other than Vista Print! I have recorded phone calls and photos to prove it was false advertising and I'm going to be speaking with my lawyers.

Original review: June 28, 2018

First order and definitely the last. My order sat on the processing queue for about 4 days. I called but couldn’t get through. Tried the chat but nobody was available. So I sent an email and got an instant reply stating they have a high volume of inquiries. They responded the next day and miraculously my order was showing shipped now. Then I notice I was charged twice. So I am going through the same circle, one email a day. Still can’t get a person on the phone or chat. And they can’t seem to understand that per my order that I sent a pic of I should only be charged $99. They keep telling me that my order is $108. So once the shoes get here I will be returning them because they can’t seem to be able to figure out simple math. This company has terrible customer service. I will not be returning here ever again.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I am writing in response to the various complaints about DSW promotions and customer service. As a long time DSW shopper and VIP Elite customer, I have occasionally received what I thought were wrong items, duplicate items and only once, a missing promotional item. DSW always does their best to make things right if the product is available even when the mistake was my entering an order incorrectly.

A few things learned are, if ordering a promotional item, you need to add the actual promotional item to the shopping cart, when you check out, add the coupon for the promo, the price of the promo item then goes to zero. I only made this mistake once, read those coupons carefully. Also, they do seem to be working with a lighter staff on the phone lines (either that or they are spending more time with each customer). I have timed it and found if you let them add you to the callback list, you will be called back, usually about 15 minutes. I hope this helps a bit, especially those of you trying to take advantage of their special offers.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Recently purchased shoes online during free item promotion. Ordered the shoes and put in promotion code and all confirmed. Then I got the confirmation of purchase email and promotion not included. Repeated attempts to communicate with DSW ignored or put off. Liked the shoes. Hated the promotion. Was a ruse. Most of all hate the total lack of customer service. Will not purchase online from them ever again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

If I could give a negative 10-star review I would. I placed an order for a pair of shoes only to get the free promotional item (tote cooler). First of all, it took well over a week and a half to receive the shoes, but there was no tote bag included. I called customer service 3 times that day but hung up due to extremely long hold time. I tried to do Online Chat but it was unavailable. I have tried calling customer service multiple times over the past few days, but still no answer. I have emailed 4 times and received a pre-recorded response saying they are extremely busy and will get back to me. What in the heck is going on with DSW? Are all of their workers on strike??? I will never again do business with DSW. Extremely unprofessional and unethical to not follow through with promised merchandise and to not answer customer concerns or complaints!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I placed an order very early within the free weekender bag promotion, but I did not receive a bag. In order to meet the requirements of the promotion, I purchased a more expensive shoe than I would have chosen had there not been a promotion. When I contacted customer service, their response was to tell me that they are out of the weekender bag and to be on the lookout for the next promotion and buy more shoes and I'll get the promotion. This is an unacceptable response. If it's not false advertising, it's bait and switch at a minimum. I'm very disappointed in DSW's nonchalant customer service and lack of effort in attempting to satisfy their loyal customers.

Original review: June 5, 2018

If I could give a negative review I would. Why do they bother having a customer service department? They do not answer the phone, do not respond to emails and their online chat does not work. If you have any issue with your order at all there is no way to get in touch with anybody to correct the problem. They need to stop with the auto response emails that their volume is too high if they cannot handle their customers. They need to hire more staff or get their current staff to do their jobs.

Resolution response: June 11, 2018

I left a bad review but I'm amending it. DSW was very helpful. My shoes went to my old address. In Ohio, I'm in SC but they didn't give me a hassle. In minutes they sent out an order & 2 day free shipping for the inconvenience. You do have to wait a bit but I'm very satisfied.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been a VIP customer for a long time but I always went to the store. Now I can't get there so I order online. It takes them over a week to process the order. I've had good shoes but I won't order again. It just takes too long to get the shoes. At least 2 weeks & that is just too long. I've bought from other stores and I can have the shoes in 2 days. Some 4 but never this long. So long DSW.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I love the shoes that they have which have fair prices but unfortunately, they only have very few choices in my size. I am tall so have to wear a size 11 or 11 1/2.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have shopped with this company for a long time, but, I will never do so again. Orders place online take close to two weeks to receive. They ship via FedEx, but, in the final week, the order is transferred to USPS which adds another delay. I tried the chat service, but, it ALWAYS says it is too busy. I really don't think the chat service even exists! I phoned and waited on hold for 45 minutes and the line went dead. Using this company is an incredible hassle. There are many other shoes available to have to deal with this.

Original review: June 2, 2018

DSW has great selection online. But they definitely need more narrow shoes for people like me with skinny feet. But they ship super quickly and if your shoes do not fit or you just don’t like them, they will pick them up and return them at no cost to you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Ordered a pair of sneakers, arrived in a few days, no problems with fit and used a coupon for an outstanding price. Sign up for online sales and coupons.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am a gold member with DSW so I shop online as well as in store regularly. I often find the specific shoes I want online and order. They always come very timely and have an easy return/ exchange police both online and in the store.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Ordered a pair of shoes online to be picked up in the store nearest me. DSW.com took my coupons and credits, then charged my card for the balance. Showed up at the store more than 4 hours later, only to find the shoes had been SOLD to another customer. Manager claimed I wasn't charged and if I see a charge on my card to call Customer Service. Well there IS a charge on my card and I no longer have the $15 in VIP points. To date I have not gotten a response from Customer Service at all - it's like they don't exist! I have tried calling, emailing and Live Chat but never get ANYONE to respond. Total rip off - they sold my shoes and charged two customers!

Original review: May 26, 2018

DSW have an extensive line of footwear, shoes for every occasion, everyday, evening, activewear, so much so it hard to make a decision on how many to purchase lol!

Original review: May 25, 2018

Ordered online 1st and 2nd day free weekender started, used the code, was accepted both times. No bags were ever sent. A friend did same, DSW response was "we're out of them". This is an unacceptable response. This is also false advertising! I am returning the 2 pair of shoes I ordered due to this. I am very unhappy with DSW over this. Not sure if I will shop here anymore. There are many more shoe stores. They are always too busy to live chat, wait time for phone calls to customer service is too long and they will respond to emails maybe 4 days after. Either the company is going down or they are too cheap to hire more help.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I placed an order online and entered the promo code for the free weekender bag. When my shoes arrived no weekender bag in the box, so I called customer service. I waited on hold for an hour only to be told that the code was not entered when I placed the order and they were now out of bags. I have ordered numerous times online from DSW but this will be my last time. I am very unhappy with their customer service, it's horrible.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The site is easy to navigate, there always seems to be a discount offered, if you have received a discount through the mail or want to you use your points you just add them or the discount code and shipping is mostly free. Oh yes, I always receive my order in 3 days and if you plug in what brand you like and what size you wear in that brand, when you browse for shoes and click to see a style you like, they tell you if you can stay with your size or if you need to size up or down. They really make it easy.

Original review: May 24, 2018

On several occasions DSW sent email forecasting a free bag with purchase and they never have any on the first day even if the purchase I made is early online or at store. On May 20th I purchased $100 shoes, my 20 dollars DSW money was not awarded per Ad: spend $75 get $20. No one answered phones. Wait time stated up to 175 minutes. At 27 min, line was disconnected by DSW. No one could help at the local store. I even sent numerous emails, no one responded. The shoes didn’t arrive. I couldn’t get my refund of 117 dollars. This a shame!

Original review: May 24, 2018

DSW is very reasonable and can always find the shoes you looking for. They have so many choices to select from. They have special offers and also if you are club member they send you money towards next pair of shoes.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Very disappointed. I waited until May 10th to order two pairs of shoes to receive the free bag. Obviously this was false advertised or they only had a total of 5 bags to give out... I know multiple people who ordered the same day as me, mind I say the first day this promotion was going on, and NONE of them received this bag. After realizing I didn't receive my free bag I quickly called DSW. Nonetheless had to wait over 200 minutes per day so I finally got in touch today after 35 minutes.

Customer service was VERY contradicting; first saying sorry but we can only give you 10% off later saying 20% off after I declined the 10%. 20% is what I regularly get off as a VIP member, so I was not impressed. Asking for a bag of the same value or just a coupon for how much the free bag would of been I was told no. Not wasting my breath any longer for this unreliable company I hung up the phone. I usually don't report such negativity but DSW will never get a dime from me again. The customer service is truly unacceptable and all I got was a "sorry".

Original review: May 23, 2018

I placed an order online and noticed a problem right away. The free gift was not added to the order even though I added the code at the checkout and it did not indicate the gift was unavailable. When I tried to call I was told the wait time is 4 hours and the chat isn't working. I sent an email but received a reply several days later when the item was already mailed and I was told that they ran out of the free gift bag. Another time I ordered shoes online they came with anti-theft thing still attached to it. I had to go to the store to take it off. My main problem is that they do not have phone customer support. I'm not going to wait 4 hours to see if someone is actually going to pick up.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I sure wish I would've seen this webpage and the review related to DSW before I placed an online order. I placed an order online 11 days ago & received an email the same day stating my order had shipped. I have been trying to track it via the DSW website as well as the FedEx website with no results. I am told the shipping label has been created, but FedEx is waiting to receive the package. I have attempted to start a live chat several times only to be told that they're too busy & to check back later (I have never gotten that with any other company's live chat feature).

I have tried calling the Customer Service phone # only to be told that the wait time is over 120 minutes!!! What? Based on what I have read here, it sounds like I will be lucky to ever get my shoes or get a refund. I guess I won't be seeing that weekender bag free promo either. I am so disappointed...I have always had such good experiences at DSW shoe stores. I had no idea that their online ordering operations were such a joke. If I can't get a hold of someone through what they provide on the website, I'm finding an Ohio number for DSW's headquarters and calling it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Bad experience and I will never order from them online again. I tried calling them today and was giving an estimated 3hr wait time. I tried their live chat only to be told the live chat service is too busy. I emailed them and got a response email that they are experiencing high volume and an email response could take up to 4 business days! I ordered shoes on April 3rd they told me my shoes would ship in 3 days. They didn’t ship for 9 days. One pair never shipped and today 46 days later there is a pending charge on my credit card. No email, no phone call. I’m sure sometimes they get it right but if you want your shoes on time and customer service that’s there to help you then order from somewhere else.

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

DSW Company Information

www.dsw.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business