1.58/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

224 DSW Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I ordered the Coolway Irby Chelsea boots on the website hoping it would be brand new. When it was delivered, the heel was scratched along with wrinkles on the faux leather indicating it was used prior. I was anticipating that they would be worn but I did not anticipate the scratches inside as well as on the outside. The boots were very dusty almost as if I bought it off of an eBay seller. I was very disappointed with this experience and hope this informed future buyers not to anticipate for the best product condition. I highly recommend searching for a pair of shoes on a different website.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a pair of heels for my husband’s graduation ceremony via the in store pick up option. I selected a store a little out of my way because it was the only one who had the shoes in stock available for same day pick up. I ordered the shoes early on that day, 12/18 around 10 am as the website guarantees pick up within 4 hours if placed before 6 pm. I waited all day for an email confirmation that the shoes were ready but I never received one. Around 8 pm that night I contacted the store in Baychester Ave (Bronx, NY) only to be told that the style and size of shoes I selected were not in stock and the order would be cancelled. I was disappointed but I let it be as I figured I would receive a refund. Fast forward to 12/20, I receive an email saying my shoes are ready to be picked up but they would only hold the shoes until 12/23.

I did nothing as I figured I didn’t need the shoes anymore; the event was long gone, and I had resorted to buying shoes from elsewhere because of the inconvenience. Fast forward some more to today, 12/28 when I noticed the money for the shoes was deducted from my bank account: I contacted the customer service agent via live chat only to get nowhere. The agent told me that I would personally have to go to the store in the Bronx to return the item. I asked, how can I return something I never picked up? Paul, the agent, then said, it was the only way to get my money back. I explained that this is crazy, it is nonsense, and entirely inconvenient!! I asked if there was any way he can request a cancellation or a refund but he was in no way, shape, or form the least helpful. Stay away from this business!

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This company has a terrible return policy. I decided to return 3 orders in one box using DSW provided shipping label. They charged me for the label 3 times and refused to refund me for the unused shipping labels.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I placed my order for new heels Monday 12/10 and I was super excited because I was supposed to receive them by that Friday. I didn't, so I checked and the delivery date was changed to Wednesday 12/19, which was fine. I was waiting all day Wednesday and they never arrived. I tried to track it, but FedEx said they gave it USPS but USPS said they never received it. So, I contacted customer support via the online chat, after waiting 10 minutes I was connected with someone. Whenever the representative would respond, I would promptly respond with what I needed to then wait 10 minutes for their response. Finally, they said to wait one more day, so I did. It came the next day and I tried them on, they killed my ankles and feet, despite the online ratings that said they were the most comfortable heels ever. I couldn't find out how to return them because there was no invoice enclosed nor was it shipped in a DSW box. I do NOT recommend DSW.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I ordered on 12/4 (Tues) with a 2-day shipping, 3 items came on 12/8 (Sat) and the other 3 haven't been shipped as of 12/15 morning. Now I still think the 12/8 delivery is also late, I decided to chat with the employees to find out what's happening with my order status. This guy told me it was going to be shipped soon. As I didn't believe him I got another employee, and he told me that the 3 items I was able to order and pay are out of stock so that is why my order was never completed. So in other words, if I didn't contact I wouldn't have known anything about my status.

So he told me the only thing we can do now is to cancel my order. I asked if those 3 items were going to be in stock as I didn't want to cancel my order if I just have to wait a little more time. He said that cancellation is my only option and processed the refund before I could give my consent. I thought the way the employee handled the situation was appalling but what made it worse was the fact that 10 min after talking to him I received an email from DSW that my 3 items were just shipped by FedEx.

Employees - if you are reading this, please don't lie. If you can look up my address and my orders, you surely should have been able to track the status, especially ones that are already in the shipping process. I love DSW but after this incident, I can't trust the employees handling the shipping process or the customer service who has no clue what they are doing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

In November I purchase a pair of boots for 299.99 only to have the price drop to 209.99 so I call and spoke to a sales rep about the price difference. She inform me that she would issue me a refund for 90.01 in the form of a gift card for the difference. To this day I have not received that gift card. Also I returned the boot. Was told that I would receive that money on a gift card. Also still have not received anything. Been calling every day with no success???

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought my shoes end of November, I wore them for a couple weeks and discovered that I hated them. I went to return them and they said I couldn’t return them because they had been worn! Of course they had been worn! I had to find out that I didn’t like them in order to return them. Who just return unworn shoes? That is an ABSURD policy, especially with shoes. EVERY other retailer will accept ANY returns, regardless of how often it was or wasn’t used. Shoes should be no different. I WILL NEVER be shopping at DSW again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I’ve always really liked DSW because you can get a great deal and they ship fast, but this year they cost me money and time and because of that, I don’t think I’ll be using them again. I used points to get a good deal on a pair of shoes I’d been saving to buy for months. When they arrived, they were the wrong color and the shoe I wanted was sold out in my size. I emailed them and a representative told me she looked into it and they wouldn’t be getting that shoe back in stock in my size. I returned the shoes at a DSW 30 minutes away and ended up finding the shoes on eBay. Because of the information I’d been given, I paid $50 extra for the shoes on eBay and had them delivered a few weeks ago. I just looked on their website today and the shoes are back in stock in my size. I’m very disappointing - I spent way more than I had to because DSW couldn’t send the right item or give me accurate information.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I checked the reviews before buying and all of them said they'd fit perfectly. I ordered them in a women's 7 and they feel very tight. Should've ordered an 8 if I knew they'd run smaller. Maybe they'll break in but I don't think something like sneakers should be this tight in the first place if it's true to size.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I placed an online order for same day, 4 hr store pickup. I arrived almost 8 hours later to pick up the shoes only to be told my order was not ready. I kindly asked for an estimated time to know when to come back, and was then told the shoes were not available and to drive 50 miles to the next store. I needed these for a weekend trip and if I had a car, I would have. When I emailed DSW, this is the response I received: “You made this order on 11/27. If you need them so urgently then you should ship them to your home address with 2nd business day expedited shipping.” I was shocked at their response.

I explained that I chose same day pick up for that same reason. I received another response stating that my order had been canceled and to place it again and select faster shipping. I never asked for my order to be canceled and they refused to understand. Shoe shopping should not be this difficult and stressful. After I emailed for the 4th time they decided to reinstate my order and offer next day shipping. The order has been processing for 4 days.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought these shoes online 5 days ago, and right afterwards, checked online to see what the reviews of DSW said. Honestly, I was shocked and quite scared when I saw all of the negative reviews about the company, saying the shipping took too long or the customer service was terrible. I don't know if I was just incredibly lucky this time, but my boots came exactly as I saw them online! Stylish, new, and comfortable, they were what I expected and more, especially based on the reviews. So I would say that so far, my experience with DSW has been excellent and I would recommend it to other customers.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

DSW runs 50 points promotion (currently even 100) for shoe donation per day you donate. Unfortunately, I received points only occasionally. I asked the associate when I bring the shoes in and she would even show me her part of the screen where it states I will receive the points, but I only sometimes do. There is another promotion they are currently running where each day you click on holiday ‘survival guide’. You are supposedly earning 10 points, but it is not happening. I emailed customer service, received generic response about points regarding shoe purchase (which was not the case), so I emailed back to clarify the issue, didn’t receive the response but 30 points magically appeared in my account (based on the survival guide click promo I was suppose to receive over 200 points)... Seems to me like very unreliable company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I placed an order very early within the FREE J. M. WECHTER QUILTED BACKPACK promotion, I received a second email stating that the backpack is unavailable. In order to meet the requirements of the promotion, I purchased a more expensive shoe than I would have chosen had there not been a promotion. When I contacted customer service, I was rudely told that they are out of the bag and there is no substitute. This is an unacceptable response since they sent me an email confirming the order. I'm very disappointed in DSW's false advertising as well as their nonchalant customer service and lack of effort in attempting to satisfy their loyal customer.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I Ordered a pair a Steve Madden Pumps in August, and I just started wearing them to work since it is now November and it's cold where I live. I've worn them maybe 4 or 5 times and the last couple times I've have worn them I noticed the right heel felt funny while I was walking, well today it is breaking off. When I contacted DSW customer support via chat they said that since it's out of the 60 day return period that they can't do anything. They suggested I might be able to get a different result in store, even though I ordered them online.

After a few minutes, I decided to give it one more try and called customer support to see if there was anything they were able to do for me. They said that I could ship them back and they would have to inspect them to see if there is a possibility of a return or exchange. They've sent me a return label and now we shall wait and see. So far I’m not super happy with how it's being handled. I’ve worked in customer service in management. There are always exceptions to the rule, especially when it's a faulty product. That being said, I’ll wait for them to contact me about whether or not they’ll issue a return/exchange.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I would give 0 star if possible. This is the 3-4 times I told myself I will not order from them anymore. I was charged for the free item several times because the item I bought was out of stocks (4 different incidents). Even when I emailed a few hours after I was noticed the item was out of stock, I asked to not receive the free item they still ship and charge for the free item. Terrible customer service. Waste of time. Furthermore, the reward cash you have earned will disappear along with your out of stock item.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

DSW has by far the worst customer service support I have ever experienced. I am very patient and understanding with customer service because I also work in a related field. However, I ordered a pair of shoes and had standard shipping. Shoes arrived on time but instead of my size 7.5 booties, I received size 10 knee high heeled boots. I called the customer service and she said she would try to ship the right shoes to me with expedited shipping and that I would receive a confirmation email.

I never received the email so I called back the next day. This time I spoke with a woman who was yawning on the phone and barely even answering my questions. She said I should see confirmation later that day and that was the extent of that unpleasant conversation. Finally after 3 days of nothing I called back and find out they NEVER even processed an order or fixed it. The woman was very nice that I spoke with and she refunded me and expedited the correct shoes and made sure I had a confirmation email. She apologized for the inconvenience and said that the previous employees I spoke with did not handle it properly. The next day I get a notification that my shoes arrived however they were sent to THE WRONG STATE. All in all - extremely negative experience with DSW and will never buy shoes from them again. The worst customer service award goes to them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have shopped at DSW for many years and have ordered online from them since 2012. Over the past year, most of my orders have had shipping problems and delays, or they have been returned as "undeliverable". I have tried using all my addresses: P.O. Boxes, my street address, etc. Nothing works. As a last resort, I shipped an order to my husband's office in Denver. The package was "returned" and I could not get any information about why they could not deliver a package to a fully-staffed business address in a major city. Calling DSW was also unhelpful, as the customer service agent had no real information. I order from other merchants (Nordstrom, Neiman's, Steinmart) all the time, and DSW is the only one who cannot deliver a package to Eagle County, Colorado. I won't be ordering again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I was shopping for some shoes, and could not find what I was looking for until Choko offered to help me. She has helped me several times and is ALWAYS smiling, helpful, positive, professional and knowledgeable. Anyone with high standards would agree, she is a A+++ associate!! I will shop at this particular store because of her!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I will never shop at DSW again, online or in store. They simply are an untrustworthy company! I placed an order online to use my rewards and a promo for a "free" bag. I paid with PayPal, as it's usually a safe bet for online purchases. I signed no billing agreement with them to link my PayPal account, but somehow, after the original authorization amount, they were able to withdraw money from my account 5 more times, in some of the strangest amounts, ranging from $1.70-$24.18! WTF.

While this preposterous financial disaster was unfolding before my eyes, we were also in the middle of Hurricane Michael, which wrecked our town and left us without power and the inability to leave our road. In between charging my phone battery in the car, I was able to email customer service and find out they were charging me for the free bag because of items that were cancelled in my order, despite at least one still showing as being in stock at the time of writing this. They gave me a partial refund, but it is still more than the original price and doesn't take into account the items that were cancelled. So, not only do I have less money available on my credit card in the midst of a natural disaster our area has never seen, I also have been charged more for less items. I will never shop here again, they are criminals.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The products are great. The personnel at the store are polite and helpful. My shopping experience have been fine. My orders have been precise. My only complaint is that my orders travel too many states and they take too many days to get to me. But other than that I'm pleased with DSW. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I ordered a pair of Women’s Dr. Martens 1460 conbat boots in Size UK 5 / US 7. I received it in Size UK 3 / US 5. I contacted customer service right away explaining the issue and was offered a hand pack order with the correct size. I requested the correct size, Size UK 5 / US 7. When I received confirmation for the hand packed order, it said the Size UK 3 / US 5. Disheartened, I contacted customer service again addressing the problem with screenshots of previous customer service conversations and my email confirmation for my original order, as well as a suggestion that there may be a glitch in their systems in which it converted Size UK 5 to Size US 5.

I waited three and a half days to get a response, that in short said that one of their shoe lovers (customer service representatives) already helped me with my problem. I received this type of message from customer service representatives not once, but twice. They completely ignored my suggestion that there may be a problem with their shoe sizing problem, as well as my own problem with receiving the wrong size shoe twice. I will never shop at DSW again after I resolve this problem on my own.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I frequently buy shoes from DSW because they often have the biggest selection to choose from. I typically buy in the store and use the coupons that are sent to me in the mail. However, this is my second bad experience with trying to order online. The first was when my account was showing a $10 credit/reward directly in my email, but when I logged into my DSW account online it said I had no credits/rewards to use. Odd because the account numbers matched from my email and my DSW account. My second and most recent bad experience is due to wanting to use their "FALLFEELS" code to get $10 off my $25 purchase for being a VIP member.

I decided to take the plunge on the shoes that I have been eyeing for months. I go to checkout and I get the following error message: "Sorry, this offer was provided to another customer and is unable to be shared. Please ensure you are logged into the VIP account associated with this offer." OK for one, this is a mass-email promo code, it is not just tailored to me. And for two, I am logged into the correct (the one and only account that I have with DSW!!) account. I guess they don't want me to order shoes from them online anymore!

As a side note, if you browse their website for "too long" they eventually flag you as being suspicious and you can no longer search their site - I usually have to open an "incognito" tab in Chrome. They have pages and pages and pages of shoes but I guess you're only supposed to take 5 minutes to look at them all and then make a decision.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This is the absolute WORST customer service I have ever experienced. When I originally placed my order for 5 pairs of shoes, the order went through just fine and my card was charged for the whole amount. A few days later I received an email notifying me that 3 of the 5 pairs I ordered are unable to ship to my location... Now call me crazy, but I feel like this should have been addressed prior to charging my card for the whole amount... Shouldn't they know that when those items are in my basket and I enter my shipping address that they aren't able to ship to my location?

I then asked if I could just go-ahead and cancel my entire order, to which they replied that my order was "too far along in the fulfillment process" (even though it hadn't even shipped yet) to cancel the order. I received an email that my remaining items shipped on 9/19/18. It is now 10/2/18 and my order tracking still says "pending delivery" somewhere in another state. I have now been on hold for 10 minutes with no luck of speaking to an actual person. I will NEVER be ordering from DSW again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have just received shoes that I need to exchange. I have phoned several times because they neglected to put a return label in the box. Now I’m on hold for 30 min. so far. I will NEVER order from them again. There is no telling how much longer I will have to wait. I don’t trust them to call me back.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Words can't express how disappointed I am with their customer service! I have no problem buying shoes in person but I do not recommend buying shoes through online. I am a DSW VIP and received a deal, "Buy $39 shoes and get a free Corduroy bag for free", so I did that and placed my orders. The moment I placed my order, it said the bag was available but a week later, DSW sent out an email explaining that the bag was unavailable. I wouldn't have bought my shoes if I knew they discontinued the deal, so I sent them a complaint email and they responded a few days later, explaining that they took $15 off + re-ordered a new bag for me and I should be expecting a shipping confirmation in the next few days.

To my surprise, that did not happen. Another week passed and I decided to send them another message, they responded back, "We're sorry, your order has not been placed yet. We apologize for the delay." Seriously DSW?! I am so disappointed with your customer service and the way you handled things. So I advise you, dear friend, DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR ITEMS ONLINE, IT IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNACCEPTABLE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Hello DSW! I’m VERY unsatisfied with my experience buying 2 pair of shoes online. Terrible Customer Care! The first one (Order Number: **) I received it in a different color than the one I ordered. I ordered a Bronze Metallic and received a Rose Gold. I tried to call but after 20 minutes waiting on the line, all agents were still busy. So, I sent an email and it took 3 days to receive an answer. I sent the package back and 10 days later (Today) I received the “right” color I ordered. But guess what? You sent me AGAIN the wrong color! And on top of it, this color (rose gold) is a lot cheaper than the one I bought.

I was going to use these shoes on a wedding and didn’t happened. Now, I was going to take them to a cruise this Saturday but it’s not going to happen. What kind of service is this? My second order (Order Number: **), I received it and I loved them, very comfortable. But, I have used them only twice and one of the shoes is almost broken. I sent an email with a picture but of course, no answer yet. Totally a disaster! I want a solution as soon as possible please.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Hello DSW! I’m VERY unsatisfied with my experience buying 2 pair of shoes online. Terrible Customer Care! The first one (Order Number: **) I received it in a different color than the one I ordered. I ordered a Bronze Metallic and received a Rose Gold. I tried to call but after 20 minutes waiting on the line, all agents were still busy. So, I sent an email and it took 3 days to receive an answer. I sent the package back and 10 days later (Today) I received the “right” color I ordered. But guess what? You sent me AGAIN the wrong color! And on top of it, this color (rose gold) is a lot cheaper that the one I bought.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

DSW is a joke. I ordered 3 pairs of shoes 2 months ago and they only delivered one. I called and the lady acknowledged their error and said she was going to send the shoes to the store close to me and I eventually returned 2 of the 3. I got an email that read, “You’ll get your $73 and change refund in 7-10 business days.” This is 2 months and after 2 calls and lies, I’m still here, no refund. I guess customer service and reputation is not of importance to this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I wanted to buy Fila shoes in size 8 online. I found the pair I needed in a DSW store. I ordered the item and after a couple of days I received a call saying that I could go pick up my order from the store. When I told an employee there about it they said that my purchase wasnt in the system, also saying that there was something wrong with the payment. So I went back and ordered the shoes again. After making a second trip there, they said that my order was cancelled due to the fact that it was out of stock. I went back the VERY NEXT DAY, and bought the shoes in the exact size I needed. Not to mention there were plenty of other size choices fully stocked in store.

For the past ten days or so I have called and emailed customer representatives. They said they would give me a $10 discount, however, I think I need the money I paid back from them. I cant help but think that they lied to me about the shoes not being in stock. I then get an email from a representative saying they are sorry, but they didnt help me at all in anyway. This was the last purchase I will ever make from them. A little advice, dont buy anything online from.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I buy shoes online, because I like the idea of buying NEW shoes; however, buying at DSW, you're sent shoes that have been worn before, and all too often have scuff marks, because the shoes ordered on DSW.com (as well as bags, and other accessories) are *not* shipped from a warehouse, but instead are simply shipped from one of DSW's 100s of stores. Buyer beware: if you buy shoes at DSW.com, you are getting shoes that have already been worn by someone shopping at a DSW, and they will probably arrive all scuffed up (which has happened to me much too often). I am done shopping at DSW! I now buy my shoes from Shoes.com (a subsidiary of Wal-Mart); the shoes come *brand new* from a warehouse, so you never have to worry about them arriving worn, and scuffed up! Auf wiedersehen, DSW! You've lost a loyal customer!

DSW expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse is a retailer with more than 400 brick-and-mortar locations across the United States and an online store, dsw.com. They sell a large selection of shoes for women, men and children.

• Store locations: Customers can purchase shoes online at dsw.com and then pick them up in their local DSW store. There is no charge for this service, and consumers can instantly return their purchase if they don’t like it or it doesn’t fit properly. Some items are available the same day.

• Discounts: DSW offers discounted prices on popular name brands. The store has regular sales and clearance items, and it offers consumers a rewards program for other special discounts.

• Selection: The store’s website offers an even wider selection of shoes than is available in the company’s stores. This selection is much better when it comes to extended size options. Customers can search for women’s sizes 3.5 to 13, and they can find an ample selection of sizes 5.5 to 11 on the site.

• Returns: Customers can return orders to any DSW location for free. They can make exchanges by mail for free as well.

• Best for: DSW has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers, deal lovers and hard-to-fit individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs