1.38/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

106 Payless ShoeSource Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I placed an order on 8/11/18. It's now Tuesday 8/14/18. I felt something was wrong, I called. The rep takes info then puts me on hold. (Goes to her spiel to hide me from a manager). Comes back with "3 of your items I see are not available in my notes?" But they were available when I ordered them? Mind you since order placed I received no call or email addressing the all of a sudden unavailable flippies and money immediately taken or put on hold to do so cuz unavailable to me... If flippies were not available, I should not have been able to place the order!!! MIND YOU, I HAD TO CALL TO GET THIS INFO, annnd then I say ok, just cancel the whole thing and am told they can't do that because I didnt cancel within 45mins of placing the order! WTF? Reallly! Why would I cancel if order went thru stating what I ordered was on its way!!! Confirmation order number and all... CAUTION... CAUTION... CAUTION PEOPLE.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I decided to try Payless online and I've rarely been so impressed with the way a company deals with a customer. They bent over backwards to make sure that I was happy with everything. I ordered 5 pairs of shoes altogether. I was really surprised at the quality of the shoes and the prices are just incredible! I wasn't charged shipping and I got a 30% discount on prices that were already low. So when I receive the shoes one pair didn't quite fit right and I was really worried because they were really popular and my size goes really fast so when I called customer service they looked at every single store that could find in the whole country to get me my shoes in the right size. And they found a pair.

The people I talked to in customer service every time I've called are so nice and professional and bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. I'm really busy and for me to take the time to come here and open an account to tell you how great Payless Shoes has been to me is huge for me. I don't do this very often. I don't have time for it normally but they made such an impression that I made time.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I purchased a pair of shoes for my son, the box was marked with a sale price. The sales clerk rang up the shoes at a higher price, and when I pointed out the box, she said she could discount them for me. She still charged more than what the box said. These were my last pair bought there. I will no longer be a Payless ShoeSource customer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

For what you paid this is okay and they are not very difficult to change or return items. Other than that it is not much to said as I never had bad experiences with them.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Payless has been a good resource for shoes for me. I can usually count on a good selection at a good price. I like their sales staff no matter where I go to find a store. I am a repeat customer as I really like shoes and can usually find what I like at Payless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Payless ShoeSource?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I placed an order on 5-14-18, on 5-15-18 I received an email that there was an issue in locating my order to be shipped and an update email would be sent later. On 5-18-18 I called their online customer service to check the status of my order and was told it had been shipped via USPS and she provided me with a tracking number. On 5-20-18, I tried to check the tracking status and there was no update so I called Payless customer service and she told me that the USPS site was down and she would call me back. On 5-22-18 I called customer service and requested a refund and was told she could not track the order and would need to check with the warehouse to verify it had been shipped and did not receive a response. On 5-25-18 I sent another email and requested a refund and never received a response.

On 5-29-18 I submitted a dispute resolution with PayPal who I had used to pay for this order, it was only after doing this that I finally received a response from Payless customer service that they would be refunding my money since USPS was having an issue picking up my order, odd thing is in the email the rep did not bother to provide a time frame on when I would receive my money so once again I had to call customer service and was told my refund was processed on 5-30.18. Normally I have had great experiences with Payless, this time was pretty bad and there was no excuse for this.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have purchase shoes from lots of stores but none beat Payless to me. Good quality shoes, long lasting, perfect fit and love the different colors but love the price even more.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Payless Shoes at King's Crossing in Newton, BC - Looking for a pair of shoes for my Grandson. No help. Finally had to ask someone. They found a shoe and just left. The shoe did not fit again. No help. Had to keep asking. In the meantime they asked me to have him stop taking the tickets off the boxes. I said if I had any help this would not be happening because I had to try and find shoes on my own. The shoes for kids are not inexpensive so I think there should be more customer service. There were plenty of staff today May 3, 2018.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I am disappointed with the customer service from I received Payless.com. I placed an order from payless.com for three pairs of shoes today. I went to lunch and came back to find an email offering 35% off online orders today only. I called to see what could be done since the order was just a couple of hours old. The person I spoke with said that there was nothing she could do. I find that very disappointing since I had just placed the order before I went to lunch today. I work in the hospitality industry where we are always trying to make sure the customer is satisfied. I would think that they would be interested in keeping their customers satisfied. We're not talking about a large amount of money here. I'm sure there was something that they could have offered me so that I would be inclined to want to purchase from them again.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I like to shop at Payless shoe store where they have great quality shoes at affordable prices and they have different variety of style in shoes that you can choose from.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Like many others here, I tried to place an order several times on the Payless website. However, each time I received an error that the payment did not go through. But when I check my checking account, there are pending charges for each attempt I tried to make the purchase. I tried with another card with the same result. I also tried PayPal with the same result. Luckily, the pending charges fell off of all of my accounts, but there was still a hold totaling over $200 on my account for several days which reduced my available balance. I tried calling customer service and they could see my attempts to make the purchase but the overseas rep made it seem like it was declined due to lack of funds. I tried calling again the next day and the overseas rep said that this was a known issue and that I should try again in a few hours.

I contacted Payless through Facebook this morning in hopes I would get in touch with someone more knowledgeable and two reps got back to me. One suggested I try going in store to buy a gift card to use for my online purchase. The second rep said this workaround no longer works and that I should go to the store to place a special order. They both gave me some canned replies about the security and authorization system they have in place. I ended up taking my business elsewhere, even though I had to pay more. Sometimes getting things for cheaper isn't worth the hassle. They really need to address these ordering issues as it seems to be a common occurrence.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have no idea how this company is still in business. Every time I buy from them there's an issue. Earlier this month I purchased boots and used a 20% coupon. However when I got the confirmation, they took away the discount. I emailed and called, which no one ever answers, to cancel, 3 days later they tell me they can only cancel within 45 minutes and that I should return the boots. So I got angry. Finally someone said they'd give me the discount. 2 weeks later I call, and the person I spoke with kept saying "I don't see where the discount was applied". Yea...that's why I'm calling because it wasn't. "Well you can go to any Payless to return them to get a full refund." Obviously they don't want my business and I completely wasted my time.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

If I could give negative stars I would. I've never dealt with a more incompetent company. I ordered three pairs of boots for my daughter on Dec 7, 2017 and paid extra for rush shipping. It's now the sixteenth and still nothing. Supposedly it's been "shipped" but FedEx only has the label for it. I get the runaround every time I call. I'm a single mom and could of used that $80 for something else and gotten the boots at a reputable company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I was shopping at this location a few days ago. So far it was nice but as I went to check out there was a young lady at this store I was at the HIP mall. She was a the store manager. I know this for the reason being that I had asked another worker as I walked out and I was told that she was the store manager. I was complete shock in the way she would speak to her workers as well as the customers with the worst attitude ever like as if the employee didn't have the right to help out or even ask a question. Just in the demeanor of her words were just wrong as he would help the customer with the same un-happy attitude. Completely unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

On 11/26/2017 at approximately 5:15 pm in the Payless store in the South Park Mall in Moline, Illinois my wife attempted to purchase a pair of boots size 6 for one our nieces for a Christmas gift. The sales associate and assistant manager would not sell the boots to my wife. My wife was told that the boot were on penny clearance and forgotten on the shelf and they would not sell them to her. So she left with no apology or remorse from the two employees.

I was also in the store looking to possibly buy some shoes and saw my wife leave. So pursued her and asked what was wrong. She proceeded to tell me and I went back into the store and calmly asked the employees why they would not sell the boots to my wife and the explained due to policy they could not. So I asked for the store manager number so I called (Sandy the store manage) and she regurgitated the same story that sometimes it happens where an item gets missed. Again she did not apologize for our time wasted in the store or for our inconvenience. I told Sandy that it was poor business practice and hung up, left the store. I have worked retail for year past and I guess the ideology that the customer is always right is dead and gone. No wonder Amazon is taking over. I will never shop Payless again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The shoes are reasonably priced and stylish. The convenience of not having to search for sales help, but having them available and the fact they're ready to help, even order items not in stock is a very big plus.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I ordered 2 pairs of boots and my checking account was debited. A week went by and still no boots. I called and was told that the order was never made and that their website said it was pending. I then asked how could they take money out of my checking account if what they are telling me is true? This makes no sense. I got the runaround, could barely understand what any rep or manager was saying because they are in the Philippines. Again, I was told that I never actually placed the order so as far as they are concerned there is no order and that they didn't charge me. I have always liked this place but recently every order I place has some issue or problem but this one, taking my money and then telling me "Well, tough luck, no order" is unacceptable.

I wasted minutes on my phone, had to call my bank and explain what was going on. Supposedly a manager was given my number and I was told I would receive a call back during the day. Well, it's nighttime in the USA!!!! Unbelievable. I cannot add my order number because they never issued it but THEY TOOK MY MONEY!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We tried to order boots online and never received confirmation. Next day there were three pending charges on the credit card. I tried to solve the issue with them on the phone but after waiting and talking to them they told me to call the bank. The bank told me to ask Payless representative to call them. Payless refused to talk to the bank. What a bad service... They can't even charge a card... How are they doing business? Their phone message says that you can complete survey after the call... Never got one?!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I ordered two pair of shoes for my granddaughters. Payless website kept saying check your payment method and try again. Like a fool, I did and I even used another card as Payless site indicated my order did not go through. I called and spoke with a customer person who said "Dont worry, it will all work out". I pulled up my bank account and saw I was charged 5 times then checked my other account and saw it was charged twice. Customer service said "Don't worry it will take 48 hours and will be all fixed". I told him this was not sufficient and asked for a supervisor.and was told there was no supervisor there. A short while later when he couldn't answer my questions, he asked me to hold while he got a supervisor. 10 more minutes and I hung up. Charged me over $200 for a $27 purchase. One way or another I will get this fixed. On to calling my banks.

Original review: July 14, 2017

HORRIBLE customer service and I am pretty sure it is illegal to sell the same shoe twice. I placed an order on 6/28/17, as of today I still have not gotten any communication about why I have not received my order. After a LOT of time spent calling, emailing and trying to find my order, which is not showing up in the history on my account, I found out that the order it was sent back to the warehouse as undeliverable. I said great. Just contact the warehouse and have them resend it to the correct address listed in my account. They cannot do that because instead of contacting me and re-sending the order that I had paid for they put the items back on the shelf and resold them.

Customer service promised to call me back on Monday and again today, nothing from them. The only reason I know about the issue is that I have called several times. The emails I have sent have still not been responded to at all. Shoes are no longer available so I cannot even reorder them, not to mention getting the great discounted price. I am so unhappy with this company that I have been using for years. They just lost a customer today and I will do my best to spread the word. Horrible customer service and illegal practices.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I have been attempting to reach a satisfactory resolution with Payless Customer Service for days and days. It has been going on for weeks without a resolution because a different person emails me each time and you obviously don't know what I have already been offered!! Does anyone actually read the emails??? I had been dealing lastly with Tiffani ** Why isn't she writing? Shall I post again on twitter or the Payless complaint site? To date, I have received generic "form" letters from: Violeta **, Kelvin, Tiffani **, Jean **, Marsha.

The only difference between the letters is that Tiffani ** offered me one amount while others offered a different amount. Who is in charge? Why doesnt a supervisor email me? Besides the difficulty with the Queen and Airport Store, Brampton, ON, Canada (Bobby) Payless Customer Service is non-existent!! Is it any wonder that the company declared bankruptcy in April and is currently closing stores and trying to restructure?! The CEO is W. Paul Jones and his email is W.PaulJones@paylessshoesource.com.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I walked to the counter with 2 pr of shoes. There was no one at the counter. I started looking up and down the aisles. My mom saw someone and asked if we could get some help. The young lady looked so mean and started walking towards us very slow. It was 3:00 on June 7th at Mayfair Mall in Wisconsin. After I paid for the shoes, my mother said that young lady had an attitude. I hope they have a way to provide a survey.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I have never had a problem with a Payless Shoe Store. In fact, every pair that I tried on and purchased really were the most comfortable I ever had because of their foam cushions, and it's the only thing I can afford anyway. The staff and cashiers were nice, but I did feel for one Mexican woman who claimed she touched earrings and put them back then was accused of stealing. Looks can be deceiving because she had more than enough money on her.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I place an order on PAYLESS.COM online through PAYPAL and the payment authorization goes through but on the Payless Website, I get an error message telling me that the order didn't go through AND I have to call their call customer service. When I call the customer service the representative is an absolute moron and she tells me I need to call PayPal. Also, I try to cancel the order and she tells me that the order is sealed and she can't alter anything. This makes absolutely NO SENSE. I placed the order on 6/4/17. The amount was $32.87.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I received a $25 Payless Gift Card from my daughter on my birthday last January. In March I went to my local Payless store to purchase some shoes using the gift card. At checkout, I was told the card had already been used. This was impossible because the card had never left my house till I tried to use it. The cashier called their customer support for me. The person at customer support took all my information and informed me I would be contacted after they reviewed the situation. I still have not received a reply and my calls to their customer support is transferred from one department to another, and another, and another and so on till I get so annoyed I hang up in defeat. I believe because of their bankruptcy they are stonewalling so they won't have to honor their Gift Cards purchased in good faith.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I've been working at Payless (Store #3557) in the Morgantown Mall for a year. Our store is currently closing and I quit today due to our crooked manager, Britney **. She has only been at Payless for a few months. My manager schedules herself with one to two other associates and me by myself. I was selling $2,000 worth of shoes a night and she would work me by myself. There have been customers complaining that she's outside smoking, leaving the store unattended. I also work at the store next door to Payless and I saw Britney park her car at the back door one night this past week and carry bags of shoes out to her car. She was working by herself and policy states another associate has to check her out and ring her up. No one else was there. I'm complaining because Britney is supposed to be transferred to the Bridgeport store and I want to forewarn the company of her wrongdoing.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I shop at the Bristol CT location and I'm always pleased with the customer service! The girls that work there are always helpful and someone says hi when I walk into the store. My only issue is with Payless as a company. I feel as though they need to catch up to other retailers! I tried going on Payless.com to order a pair of sneakers to pick up in store and I couldn't! Other retailers' websites I'm able to order online to pick up in store the SAME DAY! I believe these other stores are just pulling from their own inventory to complete my order and I can pick my items up later that day! It's 2017 and almost everyone likes to shop online as oppose to going into the store only to find they don't have the item they're looking for!

If I can see that you carry the items I want in store and I can order them online to reserve those items, it's so much more convenient from a customer's standpoint! Most people like that they can just swing by later that SAME DAY to pick up the items that they already paid for! So I guess in the end, I don't have any issues with the store itself and the employees, I have a problem with not being able to do what I stated above! Get with the program, times are changing and customers are getting harder to please. You need to give people more options! Most of the world do their shopping online and if you added that feature to your website, I'm sure you'd get more business and wouldn't have to start closing some of your stores!

Original review: May 15, 2017

One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. Darn near impossible to return items if you purchased on the internet through PayPal. If you don't want to pay the shipping back you have to return to a store. Then you're given a credit that you have to then call the company to hopefully get it placed back into your PayPal account. Will never use this company. What a hassle just to return an item.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I'm very upset. Never in my life have I been treated like this in 42 years of my life and the embarrassment that it caused me. The lady worker stated I was gonna steal earrings after I placed the earring back and didn't buy them. The earrings never left my hand. I never placed them any place on me so I don't know why she accused me of gonna steal them. I responded back, “Excuse me. What did you just say?” She then told me to "Get the hell out the store right now and don't come back.” I said, “For what? Are you kidding me? I wasn't gonna steal nothing.” She still was yelling, “Now. Leave right now.” I was in shock. I'm still in shock to why this lady would accused me of stealing and why she would even speak to me like that.

I was only in the store for about ten minutes before being accused and thrown out. I wanted to buy these baby shoes for my grand baby. I took a pic of the shoes and the earrings to show my daughter but my daughter said yes to the shoes, no to the earrings and that's when all this happen. When I placed the earrings back on shelf the lady stated with attitude, “O let me guess you’re not buying the earrings.” And I stated, “No. My daughter doesn't want them.” I didn't get the chance to say, “But I want the baby shoes and I'm gonna look at few more things,” because the store had sale buy one get one half off. I didn't get to finish up with what I was saying. She was talking over me and started with all her nasty remarks to me. Like I said I never been so upset and embarrassed.

I did call in to their customer service last night when it happen but the lady acted like, “No big deal. I will pass it on to the manager there.” I stated, “I believe she might be a manager due to I find it very hard to believe a employee would speak to a customer like that.” And she responded, “Well I still have to send to manager. Have a good night,” and hung up and that was it. I'm still very upset. This never should of happen. I didn't deserve to be treated like this and I know it had to do something with me being Mexican and the way I was dressed and none of that should matter. None of it. And I'm so sick of people thinking they can treat people like that.

When I walked in the store that lady had a high pitch “Hello. Welcome to Payless.” And as soon as she came upfront and see me her whole attitude changed toward me. I TRIED not to think that but I should of went with what I felt and left but I didn't and look how this lady treated me and did to me. It's not right at all. For the record I had two hundred bucks on me and also a text message from my husband telling me he put more money in my account for me to buy anything I wanted, so I never needed to steal no fake earrings and the way I was dressed was relaxed clothes.

I'm not a bum off the street. I have a degree and I know I make more than that lady. I'm a surgical tech and none of that should matter but all that lady seen was a poor Mexican woman trying to steal earrings which again the earrings never left my hands, so that lady had no right to do that to me and even if I was a Mexican bum who was homeless I'm still a human. An American human that should be treated fair and I pray something is done about this so she don't keep mistreating people and learn to treat everyone equal not base off their race. She also needs to be retrained on how to handle someone stealing and how to detect if someone stealing and what to do, so she not accusing customers who haven't done anything wrong to make sure this never happens again. Thank you very much for your time.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Went to the Payless on Broadway and Berwyn. The manager was really rude. I needed help getting my grandma in the door because she had a wheelchair. I ASKED FOR HER HELP and she stated that was not her job. She showed us to our size. I was looking at other shoes and she said "Why are you looking over there? Your size is over here," and rolled her eyes. She stated that she was the manager and had been here for years so she know what's she's doing. I see why Payless is going out of business because of managers like her.

Payless ShoeSource expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Payless ShoeSource was founded in 1956 and is headquartered in Topeka, Kan. The shoe retailer has nearly 4,500 retail locations and an online store, and they sell shoes for adults and children.

• Customer service: Consumers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative by phone or email. Representatives are available between 7:30am and midnight every day of the week.

• Store locations: Consumers can have their payless.com purchases shipped to their local Payless store and pick them item up in as little as 3 days. They can also return items ordered online to a brick-and-mortar location.

• Selection: Payless has boots, dress shoes, sandals, sneakers, heels and other styles for women, children and men. Consumers can find most styles in some extended sizes. Women’s sizes 5 to 13 are available on payless.com.

• Sole Style Blog: Consumers can read about fashion and see tips on styling their purchases on Payless’ Sole Style Blog. They can also follow the blog on Twitter and Facebook.

• Deals: Payless offers inexpensive shoes and frequently has sales and other discount events. Their prices mean fashion lovers and budget-conscious shoppers can purchase multiple pairs for the same amount they might spend on a single pair elsewhere.

• Best for: Payless ShoeSource has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers, budget-conscious shoppers and deal-lovers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Payless ShoeSource Company Information

www.payless.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business