2. Shopping
  3. Shoes Online

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

DSW Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

While paying for boots at DSW, I received an immediate text from my Credit Card company saying charge of $85.16 went through. HOWEVER the Clerk/Manager, Shannon at DSW in La Jolla, stated the charge did not go through and she needed to charge it again. I refused, stated it DID go through, etc. She said her system did not show the charge completed. I left the store WITHOUT the boots and called my SAVOR Cap. One credit card company who stated there was nothing they could do for 5 biz days. (I no longer use them.)

It is now 7 days later and the charge is ON MY CARD, completed, AND I DO NOT HAVE THE BOOTS, as I refused to let them charge my card a second time as the DSW manager wished. I immediately returned to speak to the manager who insisted the charge was not completed, and fortunately I had her write (on a post it - lol) that I did not have the boots etc. What a sad state of affairs both for DSW and for Cap One's Savor credit card services. Now I have to dispute charges etc, AND PROVE I DO NOT HAVE THE PRODUCT.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I recently ordered 3 pairs of boots from DSW online. I am a VIP Elite member so my shipping is supposed to be free 2-day shipping. The first pair of boots, which were a pair of Franco Sarto's, in which I've never had an issue with fit, but the boots clearly had been worn and returned. The box was tore up, the barcode sticker had been removed, most likely it was a gift, and the boots had no paper stuffing inside to keep the shape or outside to protect the leather. Also, the right boot had a visible crease at the toe line, which usually denotes that someone wore these boots, and there was cat hair on the boots.

2nd pair came 2 days later, Vince Camuto, and the fit was too tight. Needless to say, I returned both pairs for full refunds in the store, and of course, when I mentioned the boots looked used, the customer service rep said they weren't used, sometimes they just look that way. Really? Based on this experience I decided to cancel the third pair of boots, as it hasn't been shipped out, which was very odd to me. When I spoke with customer service by phone, they informed me that since the order is in process, there was nothing they could do about it. When I asked when the boots would ship out, the customer service rep danced around the question two times, in which I had to finally be nice-nasty in order for her to understand the question and provide an accurate answer. She had no indication as to when they'd ship out.

So, long bad customer service experience. Short, is I have to wait to receive these boots and return them to the store for a full refund, because the items is "in process", but they have no idea when the order will ship out. This is the reason why I buy my shoes at Nordstrom, because I don't have issues like this with customer service. Businesses who take pride in their customers are the businesses that get my service. I hope this review helps anyone who is thinking about ordering from DSW, as you truly get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I had to order same boots from DSW THREE times! First time when I came to pick up boot at the store, I was given boots and one of them was scoffed right on the toe, very visible and so deep, it could not be buffed away. I asked those boots to be returned and replaced. Return was processed, I paid again and was sent confirmation when my supposedly NEW pair of boots was shipped (with tracking info and all) and two days later after supposedly watching my NEW order being shipped from OH, I received an email, telling me my order arrived to the store (where I requested to pick it up once again).

When I arrived to the store, they could not find my order at first and when they did - I saw to my surprise that I was about to be handed the SAME pair of scoffed boots I refused to buy two days ago! So they were PRETENDING they shipped something different and just sent me false tracking info for the heck of it???? I inquired about my new order and was told - that was it. Associate tried to help and called customer service, who told us that unless I want a new pair to be shipped to my house instead of picking it up at the store, I would HAVE to get the same scoffed pair and I quote - because it is already in the store! How ridiculous is that??? Forcing a customer to buy damaged boots for $150?

I explained that I cannot accept packages at my apartment building because they get stolen and requested to send NEW pair to a different store where I would drive to (even though it is way out of my way), however, they kept insisting, that they are NOT going to send another pair instead of damaged one since they already have that damaged one at the store and they are not going to ship another pair to a different store either. REALLY?! So when I got home, I once again ordered same boots for the third time online to be shipped to yet another store and at this point it is a matter of principle, because if I cannot BUY shoes at my convenience, PAY for it and get what I WHAT I want and WHERE I want, I don’t see the point of giving any more of my money to DSW.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I recently ordered a Black Steve Madden purse online with my birthday coupon. All went great until I received the package with the wrong purse. I politely emailed customer service to explain my concern and was told that they were going to send me the purse I actually ordered with 2 day shipping. The shipping was definitely not 2 days since it took 4 days to get to me. When I received this order, I knew that something had gone wrong by the size of the box. It was small. I opened the box and there was a pair of New Balance socks inside. However, the correct order form was inside. I was very frustrated at this point and emailed customer service yet again. They requested that I go to the store for a refund since they are “unable to send me the replacement item”. Not only am I inconvenienced by having to drive 30 minutes to a DSW store, but I never even got the product that I paid for. Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

When my boots arrived I was so excited to have a new pair of black wingtip boots, but when I opened the box to look at them I was hardly impressed and let down. There were multiple scuffs on the boots. Along with very poor stitching that wasn't colored and tearing apart. Disappointed that they sent me these pair of boots in poor condition, obviously they didn't go through any quality tests before shipping to me. Will be returning and not ordering again. I guess you get what you pay for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DSW?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I placed an online order from DSW on 10/2 for Joules Pop-On Rain Shoe. On 10/11 the package was finally delivered. When I opened the package, what I received were men's size 11 loafers. I immediately contacted customer support chat. After a long hassle and a lot of frustration on my part, the customer service agent agreed to ship the correct shoes overnight. He said they likely would not go out on Friday but should ship on Saturday. I was expecting them on Monday but they didn't even ship until Monday. And they shipped 2nd day instead of overnight so I didn't receive them until Wednesday the 16th. When I opened the package, I saw a plain brown shoebox. When I opened it, I found a used pair of shoes with no packaging material. The bottoms were dirty and the insides look like they had been worn.

I filled out the exchange form, noting that the shoes were used, and requested a replacement pair. I used the FedEx label provided by DSW and dropped them off to FedEx on 10/17. The shoes were delivered on 10/22. Today I contacted DSW, again on chat, to find out if the replacements had been delivered since I hadn't received a notification. I was told they wouldn't ship until Tuesday the 29th. I requested overnight shipping and was told that wasn't possible. I stated that I had been promised overnight the first time and yet they shipped FedEx 2Day. I requested that the new replacement be shipped overnight as I had been promised the first time. That was the beginning of a 10 minute argument with the customer support rep (CSR), who claimed that the shoes had indeed shipped overnight.

I went to the FedEx website to double check and looked at the shipment facts page. I provided that information to the CSR, but he continued to argue with me about it. I offered to email him a screenshot from the FedEx website, but he just continued to say over and over that they had shipped overnight. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. After waiting about 5 minutes, I was transferred to someone who said he was the floor supervisor. I offered to send him the screenshot from FedEx.

After reading through my previous chat, his response was "The exchange processing takes up to 7-14 business days. I will request you to wait for some time for exchange to be sent or you can also call us at 1.866.379.7463 for exchange order to be placed manually." I responded and told him that I gave up, that clearly DSW didn't care about my experience or providing good customer service. I added that I would be posting a review online. Then he said, "At chat/email department we are not authorize to place orders." I responded by telling him that a person on chat had placed the original replacement for me on 10/11. His response at that point was to tell me to wait...again. By this point I had been on chat for over 50 minutes. It didn't seem like my issue was going to be resolved so I ended the chat.

I place hundreds of online orders every year and I have never had an experience like this. I've also never had a CSR argue with me, especially when the subject of the argument is easily verifiable with the shipping company. If I receive my shoes by the end of the week, it will have been a month since my original purchase on 10/2. No one from DSW has apologized for the incorrect shipment or the used shoes I received as a replacement. No one has offered to compensate me for all the trouble. There are many options for ordering shoes online. It's a competitive business. Based on my experience, I can't recommend DSW and I will not be shopping with them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I placed an order online on 10/2 and had several coupons as well as the website was offering a certain percentage off orders as a fall special. I ordered 5 pairs of shoes which originally was around $250.00 before any discount. With the discount my total was $89 which I felt was a great deal and I was very pleased with the purchase. After two weeks one of the pairs of shoes had not shipped and I emailed their customer service and was told the item had been cancelled and my total went from $89 up to about $136 because the order no longer qualified for the discounts. Had I known the one pair would be cancelled/unavailable I would have selected a different pair. After emailing with their customer service they adjusted the total to $88 yet I am still only getting 4 pairs of shoes for basically the same price- basically missing out on one pair since they did not have it available.

This is disappointing that they won’t offer me to exchange for a different pair because had I known the one would be unavailable or cancelled I still would have selected a different pair to make the same order total to get the discounts. It’s not my fault that after two weeks they tell me it’s unavailable and I’m out of luck. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I placed an order in store and was told it would arrive at my home in 4-7 business days. Six business days later no order and no shipping information but my credit card had been charged the day before. I called and was told that my order was "stuck" and that I had to cancel it and start all over again. Since we needed these shoes for the first day of school, I did it and paid for expedited next day shipping. They charged my credit card AGAIN and lo and behold my order didn't arrive the next day like I had paid for.

Customer Service tried to tell me it would certainly be delivered by 8pm even though the tracking number they provided me with showed that FedEx hadn't even picked up the order from their Reno, NV warehouse and I live on the east coast and it was already noon. After I told them how that would take a miracle to get my order by 8pm, they then tried to tell me it was FedEx's fault and I needed to call FedEx. After I continued arguing with DSW Customer Service, I was told to cancel the order again and place a new order again. Ridiculous. I will NEVER buy shoes from them again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

When chatting with customer service about an order that did not go through the representative abruptly ended the chat. Because of a “glitch in the system” on their end I was charged via PayPal and my order did not even go through. They said it would be one month before the charge falls off of my PayPal account. I have never heard of such! This was my first order and my last.

Original review: July 29, 2019

DSW is AWFUL. I am an ELITE member - you would think that would mean something, but it does not. As others have mentioned, it is IMPOSSIBLE to shop with them because their payment processing is BROKEN and clearly has been for some time...considering I already saw a review that dates two years back. I, too, entered five different payment methods (all good) that were denied. Including Paypal. When I contacted DSW via chat, I was told there was nothing they could do that I need to phone customer support. They refused to put me through to a manager and basically told me that there was nothing they could do to help me. Didn't matter that I was trying to spend $500. Didn't matter at all that I was an elite member. Nothing mattered. They don't care. Guess what DSW - Zappos sells all the items you sell at the same or very comparable prices - I would prefer to pay a little extra to not be frustrated and treated like my business was not important.

DSW Company Information