Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently placed an online order for a variety of flameless candles (6 packages) which were on sale. The candles were all called "Luminara Flameless Candles" on the Boscov's website. When I received the candles, none of them were Luminara. They were all a brand called "Inflow" which I consider to be inferior and I would NOT have ordered them. So I had to spend my time returning them to the store, about 25 minutes away, a big waste of time. Shame on you Boscov's. You need to advertise the brand you are actually selling and NOT MISLEAD consumers.

My husband and I went to the Boscovs Optical Center in Dover, DE to get new eye exams and glasses. We were attracted there by the 2 pairs of glasses for $99.00. We had a good exam by Dr. C. ** but then the problems began. The optical manager Allison and Jana assisted us in getting our glasses ordered. First, neither the manager Allison or Jana were remotely interested in helping us choose the best glasses for us. The optical manager, Allison was only interested in talking fishing with Jana who was helping my husband and not once giving either one of us her undivided attention. They never informed us that they used the cheapest and lowest grade of glass (product) when making our glasses. My husband even paid $25.00 to have express shipment of his glasses in 2 days! Well my husband's glasses did come in and they called us a couple of days later.

When we went in to get his glasses, he couldn't see a thing! Everything was blurry and glasses were extremely heavy and they tried to tell us that he would have to adjust to them! At this time then they informed us that they use the lowest grade of glass and another manager from another store informed us that our glasses needed to be upgraded! She upgraded both my husband's as well as mine. We waited a month for the upgraded ones to come in only to find we could see but they didn't fit right. After several trips back to get our glasses adjusted, they still weren't right. They adjusted my husband's glasses which sat way above his eyebrows and made intense pressure areas on the sides of his nose. Still the disinterest by the optical manager Allison and the other assistant. Way too many trips at 30 miles each time to have the glasses adjusted.

I've been a nurse for many years and neither my husband nor I will ever go back to the optical center due to the lack of knowledge, interest, and customer service nor will we ever recommend this optical center to anyone. Eyes are a very important part of the human anatomy and they are the human's lifeline to be able to live life to the fullest. The cost of our glasses together was $823.00 which had to be paid in full before we could order our glasses and then they refused to give us an itemized receipt. We were told you can't get that until you pick the glasses up. They didn't even attempt to use our Eye Med insurance.

An optical center such as Boscovs should employ people who are knowledgeable, professional, and who dress appropriately. Not wearing sneakers and clothes that were inappropriate for a professional office. They need excellent customer service skills and they should make the patients their priority. This optical center in Dover, DE is the worst optical center ever and should be closed due to their inability to provide professional services.

I shopped at Boscovs for the first time this July and have had nothing but problems with them since, 2.5 weeks and no resolution yet. First they fished around in my bank account by placing a hold in the amount of $600 for items that had already been charged to my account but not shipped. I called to have them remove the illegitimate charge & it was a nightmare. It took 2 hours, 6 discourteous, unhelpful and ill-natured customer "service" reps, 3 disconnects (I was told by Felix their phones are rigged to hang up on ppl after 10 minutes, rather evasive, IMO) and a rude email telling me to contact my bank if I need further assistance understanding the holds procedure.

A few days later my merchandise began to arrive in deplorable condition. Items were carelessly thrown in bags and dumped in boxes. They placed a pair of shoes - completely unwrapped on top of lingerie - also completely unwrapped - in a bag in a loosely packed box and shipped it across the country! The lingerie was pulled and snagged and certainly not in new condition. A pair of shoes arrived with debris on the upper and signs of wear & tear on the sole. They appear to have been worn & are also not in new condition. Many other items appeared to have been worn (showed signs of filth such as foul aromas and smears) and returned.

In fact, the only merchandise from Boscovs that arrived in new and acceptable condition were 4 pairs of men's pajamas, still in their factory packaging. I thought I was ordering merchandise and paying for it to be delivered to my home in perfect condition. That did not happen.

As it turns out, I paid for:
1. The inconvenience and waste of time and money spending 2 hours on the phone babysitting rude & unhelpful staff while they fix Boscovs accounting mistakes.

2. The inconvenience of photographing and documenting their shoddy, careless packaging and the damaged merchandise it produced.

3. The inconvenience and waste of time sending 9 (!) emails (including photos and explanations) in total so far without achieving resolution. Their best offer is "Send it back, we will refund you when we get our merch back." Boscovs wants to blame UPS so they can avoid losing $. Macy's on the other hand offered an immediate replacement at no extra charge or further inconvenience to me. I received an email confirming this within moments & my replacement will be here in 3 days. All they required from me was to "Please safely dispose of damaged items." <3 them for that!

Simultaneously, I had placed orders w/ Macy's, Target, Vitacost, VitaGlo, and several others. No one else placed holds on my account for money they had already deducted/received (even and especially the large orders) and everything but one item arrived in ship-shape condition. The one "problem" was very easily resolved in less than 5 minutes with one phone call - this was Macy's. Their customer service is outstanding, I will continue to shop there, but NOT at Boscovs. I have 25+ years of retail employment experience (and even more shopping experience :D), let me tell you, Boscovs is doing it all wrong. Don't waste those hard earned $$$ and precious time there. You will be ripped off and treated poorly.

I had an appointment for an eye exam over 3 weeks ago. The doctor was nice and seemed knowledgeable. Since my prescription had changed and my old glasses had broken, I wanted to get new glasses. I picked out 3 or 4 frames that I liked. The woman who worked there was no help. When I got glasses at other places the staff was able to tell me which frames would be the best for my prescription.

Also, which frames were best for my face shape. I paid in full for my glasses and I was told they would be in 2 weeks. Well, now it is over 3 weeks and I still do not have my glasses. I called the store twice and spoke to the woman who was working the day of my appointment. She was rude and even hung up on me. I called the 800 number and talked with someone who tried to help but of course that did not work either. She said my glasses would be at the store last Saturday. I drove 42 miles round trip and my glasses were not there. I am having 2nd thoughts about getting my glasses from Boscov's Optical, especially after reading reviews on other sites. I think I made a big mistake choosing Boscov's Optical. It seems that customer satisfaction does not matter.

Our king bed 2 electric bases were delivered on March 8th. I had everything ready for them to take out from the old bed. As I was talking with whom appeared to be the main delivery guy, he informed me has been doing this job for over 20 years and has put 1000 of these electric beds together as he was trying to PRY the plug out of the power pack to connect the 2 bed frames. I said to him that Jim at the store said you just sync the units together. He informed me that this is how he always assembled these but could not get it apart. He also spent 20 minutes figuring out how to put the headboard brackets together while telling me they must have changed the brackets. When he checked to see if the bed frames worked he could not get one of them to work with the remote and said the base was bad. They left the non-working bed at my house since everything else was loaded in the truck and told me to call customer service.

I gave them a tip which they did not deserve. Very incompetent, you would think Boscov's would train the people putting their furniture together. I called customer service, gave them all the info and she told me they were on backorder for 7 to 10 days (just like when we purchased them). Also they have a new policy that when the new frame gets to the warehouse they will send us a package out with instructions and we then need to call them to schedule the delivery. I said, "this is ridiculous... you do realize this was just delivered 20 minutes ago and I'm already putting in a claim for a broken unit. I didn't even get a chance to sleep on it." Well 4 days after the delivery and call I received the package that I was supposed to get when it comes in and it had a letter stating it was on backorder and they will call us when it comes in.

After 3 weeks of waiting my wife kept telling me to look at it so I climbed under and checked all the plugs which looked good. Grabbed the remote and read the instructions to sync the unit and within 5 minutes had the bed set up and both sides working together (not only did I not have 20 years experience I've never worked on or set up one of these beds)... Incompetent delivery personnel... So now after 3 weeks of waiting I finally put the bed in its place and could put the headboard on. WOW.. Told my wife I would like to see how long it is going to take until they call.

About 6 weeks or so went past and I took a ride to the Boscov's store where I purchased the bed. Our salesman Jim has been the only positive experience we had in this whole fiasco. He pulled everything up on the computer and it showed our request and showed that they were in stock and the best part was there was a note also that said "Do not contact until April 25th..." What the Heck is that.

Jim did not know and called customer service on Monday telling them to give me a call. I came home on the 25th to a message from Jennie saying that Jim called and wanted us to give you a call, nothing about the bed and Jim did not tell them I fixed it myself already. When I called back and explained everything to her and that I was not going to leave a good review she basically said "OK, you have a good day." Not even a sorry. I guess they do enough business that the little people do not matter. I know this was long but just wanted everyone to know what to expect when dealing with Boscov's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boscov's?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I ordered $800 in mini blinds & it stated "free shipping". They called back the next day and indicated there would be an additional $300 charge because of the size of the order. Bigger is better for most companies. They even stated in the order that there may be shipments from various locations but there would be only one shipping charge. Stay far away. They are a ripoff.

I have recently bought a couch at the end of January, to which it was delivered with pieces missing. I called customer service and even though the lady I spoke with was super nice, waiting on the 2 new couch cushions took over a month. I recently got a phone call on 3/10 that my replacements were in the store for pick-up and when the box was opened I expressed my concern that I was still missing a piece and when I got home I was sure enough still missing one cushion. I have gotten to the point that I am so fed up with this whole process and the fact that I have a couch that I paid over a grand for that looks like complete crap! I most certainly will never be buying a piece of furniture from Boscov's ever again due to this terrible experience.

I joyfully placed an order for Boscov's after Christmas sale which states free shipping on orders over 25 dollars. They also had a promo of 20 percent off of over 75 dollar purchase. I purchased CLOTHING only--no coats, no jackets, no shoes---just lightweight yoga pants, underpants, and lightweight champion pants for my son. The following day I receive an email from Britnee in customer service, stating that I will need to pay an additional FIFTY DOLLARS to ship my order or my order will be cancelled in 24 hours' time.

Fifty dollar shipping AFTER they claimed free shipping at 25 dollars??? I did not buy furniture or anything heavy--I bought lightweight clothing. Customer service provided no reason, was curt to me, and I have cancelled my order. Please be aware of their deceptive marketing practices and failure to follow through with their own plainly stated promos.

Paid for clothes with my debit card. Ended up not needed them. Well when I get to customer service there was no return policy listed on the wall or my slip that said it takes 5-7 days to go back on my PNC card. Manager was no help at all. In fact gave a story on how it happened to him like I cared. I will never shop there again and will put the word out to my daughter's school, who bought home a fundraiser for discount day, to never ever shop there.

Incident 1: A few weeks ago, I ordered 2 sets of Patio Furniture. Order placed on phone. I was told that in 3-4 days, I would receive a call from warehouse to schedule delivery. I did not hear from them for 2-3 weeks!!! Finally, I cancelled the order as I placed order elsewhere. After I cancelled the order, I receive multiple calls from Boscov's asking for confirming delivery. Ridiculous! I informed them that I had requested for cancellation. Even after that, I received call twice asking for confirmation for delivery. Finally it got cancelled and I got my money back. What a waste of time!!!

Just 4-5 days ago, I ordered a "La-Z-Boy" sofa set in the store in Woodbridge. I was promised delivery on Thursday. I categorically made a request that I should get at least 30-45 minutes notice before they arrive at home for delivery. I get an automated voice message mentioning they will be home in 10 minutes. I immediately left for home. While I reached halfway (20 minutes left to reach home), I am told they have other orders to manage and I will have to request re-schedule of delivery. I had just moved in a new house and had planned for house warming party with guests coming in. Had to cancel that just because Boscov's said they can't deliver before a week!!! I definitely need compensation for this trouble. Never again a delivery will be requested from Boscov's by me or any of my known people!!!

I recently ordered all new curtains and valances for my kitchen. My order wasn't enough for free shipping so I ordered curtains - my mom wanted to make up the difference. I mistakenly ordered one less valance than I needed, so order another would cost the same in shipping as the valance itself. I emailed customer service and explained and just asked if there was any way they could waive the shipping. In less than 12 hours I had a response that they would!! Called up - they had all the info for free shipping and what I needed. Fabulous customer service!!!

I am writing to complain about how you discriminate African American models for your weekly advertisement papers. What's the problem? African Americans
shop at Boscov's stores all the time. Pay attention to Macy's ads and compare, I am sure you will see a difference. You need to stop discriminating and you

need to STOP IT NOW! Thank you.

Ordered this Catnapper recliner chair Dec. 2014. Delivered at end of month. This is a lift Chair with two motors. After three weeks remote stopped working, repairman came out, and ordered replacement part. Three more weeks of waiting new part incompatible. Boscov's customer service said select another chair. No refund if the price was different. Perhaps they could find a pillow. On second call spoke with **. Because I could not drive to Frederick, MD selected chair via internet. ** said she would send paperwork on chair. Still waiting. Now I have a 1100.00 chair I don't like.

Original colonial design brass electric window candle - At Christmas I purchased 3 window candles at 39.99 a piece. By March none of them were working. I feel they sold an inferior product at a premium price. According to the box they were distributed by Boscovs LLC. I really feel that I was taken advantage of. They were from International Marketing Corp. Sewell, N.J. I feel I should be reimbursed and you should stop marketing them.

Up until now, Boscov's has been my "go to" store for so many things. They have a large selection of petite ladies clothing, as well as housewares, linens and so many other things. However, their salespeople are beyond RUDE! Today I wished to purchase 3 pairs of pants. The Lancaster store did not have my size for either of the pants, so I approached a sales associate who was in the petite department texting on her cell phone. I politely asked her if it is possible to check if another Boscov's store has the pants in my size. She was clearly annoyed.

She grabbed the pants and said very rudely "you know, this is going to take a VERY long time." I replied calmly, "That is fine," and sat down on a chair next to the register. She then snapped at me in the most condescending manner saying "We only do this for Boscov's customers who have Boscov's credit cards," but she still called another store and made the transaction, but then preceded to tell me FOUR more times rudely "just remember from now on, we only do this for customers with Boscov's credit cards." I replied calmly, but without a smile "You don't have to worry about that ever again." Why I didn't just leave and I actually paid for the 3 pairs of pants is beyond me.

Also during the Christmas holiday at the Estee Lauder counter I wished to make a purchase of a half ounce bottle of Beautiful. The sales associate at the counter brought me the larger 1.7 oz and I politely said that I would like the half ounce bottle. She snapped "We don't have any of the small bottles left," even though there were several bottles on the shelf. I just walked away and purchased the smaller bottle at The Bon-Ton where not only was my "meager" purchase appreciated, but already gift wrapped, and I was given 2 samples of Estee Lauder products, as well. There are so many other times and in other departments at Boscov's where the sales associates have been rude, including back in October, I was shopping for a reclining sofa at Boscov's. I waited over 15 minutes for a sales associate, but none ever showed up. I left and bought my sofa elsewhere, and elsewhere is where I will be shopping from now on.

I've shopped Boscovs throughout the Philadelphia metro area, and each experience has been wonderful. Their selection is excellent, especially for older women, My mother's age (70s and 80s). Their prices are hard to beat anywhere. I don't know what I would do without Boscovs to help my budget at Christmas time. The stores are also large and well-appointed. Their men's section is one of the best I've ever experienced. A truly wonderful store. I wish one was closer to where I live.

I do all my shopping online & is one of my favorite stores. I have always had good luck with the products even though they are unseen to me. If I have a question, I call a rep. and they are more than willing to help me out with color, size, etc. I thank them so much for what I believe is going beyond their job description to help me make a decision on a purchase. The shipping is usually free and always very fast. I once ordered a skirt & it was too big. I called customer service, they had another skirt shipped to me the same day at no charge to me.

I will stand by as long as they treat me right. I have been ripped off by so many other sites. Boscovs is one of the few I trust anymore. I love the sales and super service. I bought a wool winter coat a fraction of what it would have cost at any other name brand department store. I received many compliments on it. I do get out to go to doctor appointments and like to dress well. Thanks to, I can.

I try to order the sheets. Every time it wont take my order......Please help me, thanks.

First of all, you need to let the consumer know to have double the amount for a purchases online because you put a hold on accounts and ship out what you have in stock and try to re-bill as the items arrive, even though you still have a hold on the money in people's accounts. Secondly, invest some of the billions of dollars in a decent customer service center. I cannot believe that these agents have a job being that they are totally unprofessional and extremely rude when asked a question. I mean, it is in your job description to answer questions, right? I will never order anything again from here ever again in life. The gifts I receive from Boscovs will be returned promptly.

I have tried to get a credit card from them 9 times and still can't. I spend a lot of money there and don't understand why I can't get one. I have 22 other credit cards and make all payments on time on all my monthly bills... Just my credit score is almost 700. Very frustrating... No longer shopping there.

Wanted a cheeseburger club. Mind you they sell clubs and main meal is a burger however you want it. So I ask for a club with a burger and funny they can't do it. Absolutely refusing. Even offered to pay an up charge. These people are something else. Is it me or are people in PA that deal with customers just freaking rude and ignorant and dumb? A burger instead of turkey him hard to grasp I know. What happened to customer service with a smile? Not in this state apparently. Then they wonder why they go home with no tips. How's that $5 dollar an hour check doing for you? Whatever. I'll never eat there again. Learn customer service skills and how to keep a business up and running good and successful. Peace out. Lost 5 customers over a hamburger patty on three pieces of bread.

Purchased Leather Furniture with extra 5yr coverage on 12/13/2012. Paid $1647.00 for Love seat and Sofa, both recliners. In September leather on left side of Sofa where you rest your head started to peel off. I called In October, customer Service said I needed to have repair guy come to look at the sofa. That cost me $60 bucks. He came and it's irreparable as per Tech. So I called Customer service AGAIN and they told me that someone will be getting back to me. Two weeks later I called again and asked to speak to Supervisor so I was connect to corporate and spoke to "Robert" that makes the decisions and he told me I'm out of my warranty, THAT'S IT. So even though I purchased extra protection I can't use it because it's FACTORY DEFECT. He said one yr. factory warranty had expired and cannot do anything for me.

I ordered two tops from Boscov's. Now I have contacted them before - about a year and a half ago - to complain about their terrible website... When they have a top, for instance, they will show others colors, but there is no way to know if you are ordering the right color or style because the description does not synch with the placement of the item. Most often, if there is more than one color or style, their website does not even SHOW the item at all (The fun is in the GUESSING?). This is just laziness for a company to only show one color or one style and then expect customers to somehow KNOW which one they are ordering. Compared with most other retail sites, this site would get a two on a scale of ten. No sense in doing business like this.

Ok, my husband purchased my wedding set there and back in Feb 2014. It needed to have the diamonds replaced so they sent it to their repair shop because of the warranty. After Boscovs having my ring for about 6 wks, I went to pick up my ring, realizing the lady handed me the wrong ring. My heart just dropped because I knew my ring was gone but they told me to give them a few days to see if it was found. After several phone calls I finally received a phone call back on a Friday, one wk later that what I thought was true, my ring was gone forever.

So they offer to make me a new one similar to the one I had but a little bigger or I could go pick a new ring out which I could do right away or wait until 4-16 because they were getting new rings in. So I have made several trip to the store to look for another ring which has been very difficult because the new ring will never ever replace the sentimental value of the one that's lost. So I found one ring out of the entire store but problem is my last ring was a set and this one is not. My band doesn't look nice at all with this new ring so that would mean my husband would have to spend more money to buy me a new band, not that we can't afford it. I just don't think he should have to pay anything!!

So I picked out a new band to go with the ring I wanted and told them this was what I wanted to replace the lost ring. So the lady said she would talk to someone and get back to me. A few days later I got a call telling me I could only have the ring or new sets were coming in, I could wait. So I figured I would wait to see the sets! As of today I still don't have a ring nor have I got a call about anything after being out at the store multiple times to see the new rings. They still don't have them yet!!I feel like they lost my ring so why should I be the one suffering from all of this when it was their mistake!!! All I want is my ring!!!!!

I went to four checkout place, no one was there. When I did find one, the person did not believe my card was mine. I was on lunch and had little time to shop. I did not need the time wasted. The same thing happened at Sears when I was getting school clothes for my two kids. I no longer shop there anymore, that has been years.

My brother purchased me a glider rocker from Boscov's for the holidays. He spent close to $300 on this purchase. It was delivered and assembled in my home, by a young man. The person assembling it, told me that he was short two washers, but told me not to worry about it, because they were not necessary. Soon after it was assembled, while rocking the glider, it began to not rock smoothly banging against one side, and lean to one side. I phoned Boscov's several times, but did not receive a call back. Eventually, I ended up purchasing washers of my own, to try and fix the problem.

There are about 8 washers missing, some under the chair, and some in the gliding mechanism. Since I had been sitting on it for a few days, my rocking may have caused damage to the chair. I have tried to tighten the nuts, and bolts, using an adjustable 5/8" hexagonal wrench, but because I cannot find a tool to hold the inside screws in the glider, after a few days it simply becomes loose again. Now the entire chair is loose, and two of the wooden bars are even beginning to come out of its place. You can easily see this because there is no stain on the end of the wood, and you can push it back in. The closer side of the chair frequently rubs when rocking, and makes a very uncomfortable experience. You can see in the pictures, how one side is much closer then the other.

Since I cannot get hold of Boscov's repair, I have no idea how to repair this problem. the chair is always loose and unsteady. and I believe that the person who assembled the chair thought I was mentally disabled due to my speech impediment, and simply just did a lousy job putting the chair together, since he thought I wouldn't complain.

About four months ago, we went to Boscov’s and purchased a recliner chair. Recently we noticed a discolor or wear marks on the back of the chair. We checked with customer service and they sent out a man to look at the chair. He got the chair numbers, took a picture, and left. About a week later we received a phone call stating that it was customer wear. If you look at the picture, there are no wear signs on the high wear area, seat and armrest. Customer relations also said it was manufacturer’s fabric problem. We bought the chair from Boscov’s, not the manufacturer. I guess Boscov’s sells the chair but does not stand behind it.

I took my family to Boscovs this past Saturday afternoon to look for school pants for my daughter. We purchased sweatpants & 2 pair of school pants on sale that fit so we thought we would take a look around the store. Most of the departments were without sales people & some of the ones that were there were standing around in groups talking about anything but work related issues. It seemed like no one wanted to do their job that day. We asked several people questions about products Boscovs had on display but we were told, "This is not my department, the one that works in this department should be right back." So we looked around for another 20 minuets & no one returned.

We liked several items in the Seen on TV dept & they were all on clearance sale so we decided to purchase them. I had to take the items to another department to pay because there was no one in the department where the items were displayed. All the items were clearly marked with bright orange stickers with the clearance price on it. I was charged full price for two of the items & the clearance price for the other 8 items which came to $12.00. There was another customer behind me so I did not check my receipt to make sure I was charged correctly which I should have done. Now I have to drive 8 miles to return the two items so they can correct the price.

Maybe it's me but every place I worked I was the one that doubled checked myself to make sure everything was correct. Today, it seems it's the one that is on the other side of the counter that needs to check on the store employee. This is happening way too much in stores, where there are not enough employees & the ones that are there don't want to do their job correctly. The store owners need to hold the store managers on down accountable so these problems can be corrected. I hate the thought of any business closing, but if the owner doesn't care, then why should anyone else!

Started to get harsh calls (3-4 daily) about past due payments from Capital One about past missed payments. My wife has a Boscov card many years and always pays in full on arrival. I opened a card OCT. 2013 to get a discount, what a mistake. First talked to Capital One, they had my address turned around. I never have received a statement (three months) or Boscov Card but they still charge late fees. I am 60 years old and this was a first. Over the phone with Boscov's card employee I was told that was my problem. So I bit the bullet and paid. Told employee due to being upset by this, I was done with this store and was going to write this. Her reply was something like this "will not hurt us". This is being kind. Got it off my chest for now. Boscov was where my wife and I bought most of our clothes; but no more .Good-bye Boscov.

I exchanged a rocking/recliner at Boscov's in Jan '13 due to a defect it had. We paid a little extra money for a second chair...better company and quality so they said. About a month ago we, my and I, started to notice a noise and when we extended the chair back it would not stop and my wife with her 16 month old nephew almost fell back on to the floor. We called Boscov’s service dept and they said that our warranty was the same as the old cheaper chair and it’s about to expire on Oct 2nd??? Wait, we paid more money and to us this would be a new purchase with a new we thought. That was not fair at all. The repairman came out to the house, made adjustments, but now on Oct 3rd we’re still hearing noises. He said, “You’re gonna have to live with it"???

Boscov's Company Profile