1.58/5

96 Boscov's Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

My mother bought a mattress from them. They said free delivery and free removal of old mattress so we said great. All I was interested in was the removal of the old mattress that way I don't have to deal with it. It is now a week later and they showed up, dropped off the new one and said they can't take the old one. My mother put a sealed up bag over the old one as a courtesy. It's not a bad mattress. She was just being nice because she figured nobody wants to go moving someone's old mattress.

If I would have known that they have "the right to refuse pick-up" I would have just put her new bed in my truck a week ago and set it up for her. Their delivery driver chose to be lazy and when I called to complain they told me it must have stains and that's why he didn't take it. When I replied that there was a sealed bag and asked how they would have known there was stains she couldn't answer but still believed that must be the answer. Being lazy is no excuse for not doing the job someone paid you to do. Boscov's is a joke when it comes to customer service.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Avoid Boscov's for mattress purchases. They do not allow returns, only exchanges. There are retailers like Raymore and Flanigan or Mattress Firm that have similar (and better selection), offer the same experience with free delivery, free disposal, but also allow returns. Boscov's credit is inferior too. They offer 36-month financing, but base your payments on 5% of your outstanding balance, not your balanced paid equally over 36 months. Poor or no response from management compounds the bad experience.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Boscov's says no purchase required to obtain a stamp. GET 2 stamps per week, get that item advertised $2.99 as all items are under $5. However, you can't get the item no matter how many times you you visit the retailer as it is a hoax like bait and switch. I will NEVER shop in there again and will share this with as many people online and in-store as many people are angry as we makes unnecessary trips and waste gas only to be turned away each week.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My daughter shelled out $1200 for a mattress. They have a 1 time comfort exchange policy which she took advantage of - second mattress is just as uncomfortable - Told she is stuck with the mattress that she can't sleep on. The whole idea of sleep is to be comfortable. No one in my family will buy another item from Boscov's - EVER. Way to satisfy your customers Boscov's! More bad reviews to follow on every social media platform!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The pair of Sketchers I purchased online were clearly worn! Dirt in the soles & pet hair on the insoles were 2 obvious clues. Because I needed the shoes for a trip in 3 days (and I have thick socks) I kept them, even though I overpaid. I will never order from Boscov's again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Boscov's?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Boscov's may earn points when they deliver a product that matches the expectations of prospective consumers but if anything goes wrong with a product purchased, a consumer needs to be prepared with as much knowledge of their consumer rights in order to deal with their customer service because they do not know the first thing about treating customer properly.

As brief as possible: They delivered a mattress and the delivery people did not wait for me to get home to inspect it. They called to let me know they would be there in 42 minutes. I was 25 minutes from home. They arrived before me and my parent answered the door and figured it would be OK to allow them to bring the mattress in. They checked the boxes pertaining to the mattress being inspected and didn't even mention that when telling my parent it was fine for her to sign. Well she was in the middle of an in home medical exam at the time and those delivery people left and the mattress ended up being 3 inches too short and very defective. I was infuriated at how this all went down but maintaining composure I made a call to Boscov's to report this defective product. They agreed to exchange it. A date was scheduled.

Next, they said they had no inventory of this mattress so I was delayed even further. Finally they called stating they had it. They delivered it 2 weeks later and it was the wrong mattress. Not even close. I refused the delivery and received a call from their CS again and they wanted another chance to bring the product and I refused.

At this point I have lost time from work and they sent the wrong product, left work early previously and they left without getting my approval for someone else to sign for my product and still tried telling me mattresses are not returnable. Well, I beg to differ. This is a product that is not capable of being used for it's intended purpose. It has also created a safety concern due to it not being secured by safety hooks on an adjustable platform because it is not long enough to fit the queen size base. It has slipped and repositioned itself randomly and I've woke with my arm wedged between the mattress and the wall a couple times and noticed it sometimes overhangs the platform in some areas which would not be good if I rolled over to that area of the mattress while sleeping.

Bottom line is Boscov's has never delivered a mattress that even matches the description of the one I agreed to buy. It isn't a true Queen size mattress and furthermore it cannot be used for it's intended purpose because it isn't able to remain secure on an adjustable base, which it is said to work with. A mattress return policy does isn't something that pertains to defective products that are reported immediately.

If I was there to inspect the delivery, I would have rejected it and that is my right as a consumer. Defective merchandise is not something that has failed after use so it isn't like this should be a warranty claim. It is still under the time frame where a store must deal with it and they should be fair. Boscov's is not. And if anyone considers a mattress purchase from them, know that they will force feed you their policy in the event you have such problems. They think that the policy they recite me applies to this situation when it is actually the comfort guaranty they are reciting rules from. And I am not returning it for any reason under that policy. I am returning a defective mattress that is not usable for it's intended purpose and it does not match the description in their store plus they had a chance to remedy things and they arrived with the wrong product which is the same as failure.

Their customer service has avoided giving me any answers leaving me with a huge paperweight and I have already been forced to secure a mattress from a company that was actually capable of not only delivering it promptly, but they brought the one I chose and it was not defective and, their delivery team did a careful inspection of the product with me and we all agreed it was fully in tact and, they STILL said I could return it for a full refund even if I did not like it. But, I do and I won't. I appreciate being respected and do not want to subject myself to the negligence of a company that uses shady delivery services who are more interested in getting in and out in a hurry without even taking the time to check the product or give the person the chance to.

I also do not appreciate the way CS had left me without any idea where they stand. The girl said they would be willing to compensate me for all of the inconvenience but no specific offer was ever presented. Had they attempted, I would have listened. They claimed they just received the mattress I ordered and could now delivery but the time it would have taken exceeds the 30 day time period from when I should have received a mattress that could be used for it's intended purpose. I keep stating this about the mattress because federal statute gives consumers the right to return any product for a refund if the product received cannot be used for it's intended purpose.

Bottom line I feel retailers like Boscov's try to trample on consumer rights as if we have to accept all of their faults and negligence as if our time and our lives are in debt to them no matter how poor the demonstrate their business practices. I felt like I was trapped as if I did something wrong when they refused to let me out of this deal and kept insisting on dragging things out. This left me without a functional mattress for about a month and I could not wait anymore. I needed it sooner but I gave them more than enough time to get this right and they failed. Due to the nature of my specific circumstance they should have been courteous enough to end this by accepting the return so I could move on with my life. A month of my life committed to waiting for them to possibly screw up again is not fair. Not fair at all.

I still have the charge for this mattress in dispute with the Boscov's store card and I hope they will just be fair and let me go. I have since displaced the mattress and it is covered in the spare room for now. But I want them to pick it up or arrange for it to be donated. It is defective so I would rather see them destroy it. It may be unsafe for anyone using a queen size frame because it isn't long enough.

I cannot give 0 stars so I will give 1. If I have to pay a lawyer for anything related to this ordeal, I would not hesitate. I have the money to pay for the mattress. I have the money to pay for a lawyer too. This is not about money. This is about consumer rights and our protection from corporate giants who think they can trample on us.

I was treated very unfairly by Boscov's with this ordeal. I plan to file a complaint with consumer affairs and the BBB and will post this review on as many sites as I can to let everyone know just how these people at Boscov's treat you when they send you a defective item that is potentially unsafe. I won't let up until they agree to pickup this defective product or agree to have it donated. Boscov's has never upheld their end of the deal according to the so called contract they keep throwing in my face so it means the policy is null and void. Again, they never delivered a product that can used for it's intended purpose. Their policy refers to buyer's remorse and their comfort guarantee. Neither of which apply to defective merchandise. I'll never shop their store ever again. Their loss.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Bought a bed this past year, bed ended up sagging so I went through the whole warranty process. The bed was deemed no good so they said they would honor the warranty and that I just needed to visit the store to pick new bed and pay the difference if I decided to go with something other than the original mattress. We decided to go with the Pro Adapt Firm. We are paying an extra 2100. We received the new bed and 2 days in after waking up with pain literally all over we called to see about exchanging.

The Pro Adapt Firm is apparently only for back and stomach sleepers. Had I known this we would have gone with something different since we are side sleepers but we wanted something that would hold up and not sag like the original mattress. Terrible mistake, I assumed since the bed was new that all the perks like the comfort exchange would be available. They will not exchange or help us at all even though we are paying an extra $2100. I’ve spent around $6000 in the last year at this store and they won’t even exchange a brand new bed after dealing with a manufacturer issue on the first one that was paid in full.

Now we are on the hook for the extra 2100 for a bed that is absolutely terrible. Hip, back, neck and shoulder pain! Thanks Boscov's, way to show appreciation for your customers! We are on the market for new living room furniture, I will be taking my business elsewhere and will never purchase anything from this store in the future! Could not be more dissatisfied!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

In today's retail market, returns should be as easy as having a return label in the package when it arrives and then you call to have it picked up. Unfortunately, the 3 pajama sets I ordered, though listed as petite, were not really. They were regular sized and huge on me, a petite person. It cost me almost $12 to send them back. If they fit but I didn't like them, I wouldn't have minded, but they were obviously regular.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I placed an order today around 4 p.m. 450 window blinds. It was over a $200 order. The order included a $15 shipping fee which I have no problem pain. Order was placed. Everything was good. I got a confirmation email that the order went through. 4 hours later I received a phone call from someone in Pennsylvania with a 610 area code and he said he was calling from Boscov's and that my order is a large quantity and they categorize it as bulk shipping and they have to add $75 shipping cost if I want to receive it. I told them this is dishonest and that I was recording the call. He said that was no problem and he has no choice but to cancel my order because I am not willing to pay the extra 75 which I deem as a pure scam! Stay away from this pure dishonesty!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have no idea how good store service is. I do most if not all my shopping online, except for personal items like shoes and clothing which I have to see and fit. Ordered online which was a breeze, had my order filled and shipped the next day which was just great and expected. But what I am so appreciative of is the care of the packaging and correctness of my order, all arrived in 2 days which was really fast! And in perfect just brand new and they took special care in the packaging, I surely be back to reorder and shop other items. Very satisfied with my online purchases from this store.

Boscov's expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Boscov’s is a regional department store operating primarily in Pennsylvania and the mid-Atlantic region. Boscov’s also has an online store that ships nationwide. The chain sells home goods and clothes, accessories and shoes for women, men and children.

• Special promotions: Boscov’s website regularly features special sales and promotions for budget-conscious consumers.

• Size options: Hard-to-fit customers can find many options on Boscov’s website. Hundreds of options are available for each women’s size from 3 to 12, and many special widths are available in each size.

• Store locations: Boscov’s customers can return merchandise to any of the chain’s department stores. This option makes returns simple.

• Online exclusives: Boscov’s website stocks many styles that are not available in stores. Consumers who have difficulty finding their size may have much better luck on the company’s website.

• Best for: Boscov’s has shoes for adults and children and is best for those who live in the mid-Atlantic region and/or wear hard-to-find sizes.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs