2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Big Lots Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: June 13, 2020

I searched my area for an out of stock item and finally found a floor model at a store a half hour away. The sales associate told me she could not sell me the floor model until the next Friday when she would find out if more were coming in. I told her that other stores were selling theirs, and she checked, discovered the item was discontinued, and said she’d sell it. I just needed to come in and pay for it and they’d box it up for me.

My car was in the shop. She wouldn’t take my payment over the phone or hold the item for a few days even though she had originally planned to hold it until the next Friday. She refused to give me her name or the name of the district manager. She gave me the wrong number for customer service. When I found the right customer service number, I was told again that policy prevented them from holding an item for me. A supervisor never returned my call. Enter my boyfriend. He called the same Big Lots and told them he wanted to purchase the item. They told him they’d box it up and he could pick it up anytime. Just like that, not a single hassle. They boxed it up. When he had time, he went and got it. I will not be shopping at a store that practices such blatant discrimination again.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I am, BIG Lots credit card holder. Just a helpful note. I had the most frustrating experience recently at my local big lots (East Haven, Ct. Frontage rd) when trying to buy a new $1,200 mattress set. After two hours of waiting for the employees to locate all the parts I was told that my 1000 credit card and a 200 debit cannot be combined to qualify for 12 month finance option per my email and advertisement. I was told by the store employee to come back after pandemic because they do not know what to do. All this during pandemic. Please do better. I slept on the floor that night and went to Mattress Firm the next day.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I usually go to the Big Lots in Waldorf and the employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. I would refer to everyone. They have what you need and prices are reasonable. They keep the store stocked most of the time. The only thing that I don't like is the that the facility is small and crowded.

Original review: April 19, 2020

We came into the Big Lots on Sprague in Spokane WA to purchase a living room set. We stood there for 20 minutes before we were even acknowledged by the gentleman helping another customer right there. We were the only ones standing there. Roughly 10 minutes goes by and another gentleman came out showed us a couch that was returned with some minor damage and then brought us back to the floor to do some inventory searching around the area to see what we can find that’s new. As were walking out to the living room sets he says he’ll be right back with us. We stand there for about 10 more minutes and he comes out and walks right by us and proceeds to help another customer start an furniture search and order completely skipping over us after they had only walked up to the furniture section within minutes of him coming back. We walked out and will be doing business elsewhere. What a waste of time.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Please be aware. If you are under special promotional financing your expiration date is not your due date as it is for other credit cards. I was charged almost $200 in interest after I paid off my promotional balance (the only thing I had ever charged to the card) on my due date because my promotional date expired 2 weeks before payment due date. Pay special attention to fine print.

Original review: March 27, 2020

On March 24, 2020, I bought the above referenced product from Big Lots Store #1780. Item worked for 2 DAYS ONLY. Tried to exchange on March 27, 2020. And was told: “NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES. Until further notice when you may return, exchange, or..."

Original review: March 25, 2020

Big Lots furniture in most cases is seconds. That is no place to buy furniture. In fact I try to stay away from the company completely after I saw the many complaints about them. The furniture is not well constructed and in most cases is leather look alike.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Beware of buying furniture from Big Lots. We found out the hard way. Do not make the same mistake we did and buy any furniture from them. Big lots does not stand behind the furniture they sell. Neither does the company that they buy their furniture from. The delivery service that they set up their customers with does not stand behind their service.

I am going to start in the middle of the story because it only makes big lots look worse. We purchased a recliner from big lots and they arranged to have it delivered to us the next day. We had no contact with the delivery service until they arrived. Big lots made all the arrangements. When the chair came out of the box upon delivery, 3 screws were missing from the bottom of the recliner. The delivery company found 2 of the screws and put them back in the chair. They got 1 screw they had in their truck and put it in. They called the store manager at big lots and had her on speaker phone and explained the whole situation with the chair. They told her we would be calling back more than likely. She was rude and said, "I bet they will." As soon as they left we did call the store manager and tell her we could not accept this chair. She argued with me and said they did not know if they would take care of the return and redelivery.

I called their corporate office the next day to complain and they said it would be taken care of. About an hour later I got a call from the manager and she changed her story and said they would pick it up. It took 2 weeks for that to happen. About 2 days later we saw that the chair had put 2 gouges and a long scratch on our laminate floor. We were later to find out that the chair had been dropped on the side that had the damage and the metal frame of the chair did the damage to the floor when the delivery people tried to close the chair after seeing if the screws were holding. They took a video of it and it shows exactly how it happened with the metal frame of chair rubbing floor. We filed a claim with big lots for the lowest estimate which was $3130.00.

The furniture manufacturer said big lots would pay the claim not them because big lots dropped it and that is how it got damaged. They said big lots should of never tried to force us to take the chair. It should of been brought back immediately. Big lots said they would not pay the claim, we needed to go after the delivery company they set up all their furniture deliveries in our area with. The delivery company is saying big lots is at fault. The store manager was always in control and the blame lies with big lots. We have had to pay thousands of dollars out of our pocket to replace the floor. Please dont make the same mistake we did. Big lots is self insured and they will not stand behind what they sell. Neither will they stand behind the delivery service they set up for you. The manufacturer of the furniture will not either. Beware.

JS

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was looking for new curtains. I had a certain style and color in mind. I had shopped online and was now checking local stores. Luckily, I went to Ollie's before Big Lots. Ollie's had good quality curtain panels for $10.00, Waverly and others. Big Lots had brands I did not recognize for $25. Ollie's sheers were $6.99. Of course, I bought them. Big Lots? $10. I noticed Big Lots lovely Broyhill sectional sofa when I walked in but I also noticed a coffee table with the set that severely needed dusting.

Of course, the shelves in Big Lots contain many types of items. They are crowded together, not neatly arranged as you would see in a large chain store be it department store or grocery store. Both Ollie's and Big Lots are selling closeout items. But Big Lots suddenly thinks that it is an upscale department store. The problem with this is the dusty coffee table and, on another occasion, the things that I asked the store worker for that they don't carry as would be done in normal chain stores. They only carry what you have been able to buy as closeout lots.

Back to the prices. I looked at my brand of cat food at Big Lots. It was as much as any major grocery store, more than some. It is not as if their store is well decorated and carrying designer products. They usually don't. Of course, you will find Broyhill Naples collection furniture at Big Lots but if you go to Broyhill and click on it, it will lead you back to Big Lots. They are the only sellers of this collection. Does this mean that this is a bad collection? Certainly not but it means that this Broyhill is a closeout lot or a super low priced set from Broyhill sold only to Big Lots. Big Lots Google listed states "Big Lots! Live BIG. Save LOTS." That is completely untrue. Overall, Big Lot's is pretty much a cheap store now trying to masquerade as an expensive department store. I will not shop at Big Lots again but I will keep checking back with Ollie's. I have gotten some really amazing deals on quality products at Ollie's.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Order online. Package came with missing item not in package. Emailed customer service twice with no response. Then chatted with someone over the computer who blatantly lied and told me my item would arrive on Friday. Come friday, no package. Emailed them once again and by this time the product I ordered was out of stock. Seriously, Big Lots thanks for absolutely nothing, other than wasting my time. Buyer Beware, they don't care about their customers.

Big Lots Company Information