1.37/5
Based on 171 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Big Lots

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

214 Big Lots Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased a Gazebo and you can't return the products so you have to file a warranty claim. File the claim and of course the warranty was denied stating because of weather related issues. $400 gone down the drain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I bought a faux leather Sectional and 2 recliners that started shedding and peeling 2nd year after purchase. Should have done my research before purchasing to find many had same problem. My furniture was used in my den and lightly used at that. If you contact the company, you'll receive a generic apology. Only recourse is to purchase replacement (generic) material from them plus shipping and you have to hire a technician to repair at a cost to you for their faulty materials. Do not buy. Because of my experience with this I will never buy a 'Simmons' product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

On November 24, 2017 I purchased a Polaroid speaker wireless Bluetooth speaker listed at $25 for $15 on sale. I used it once. The next day it stopped working. I returned it December 24 with the receipt that stated return will be accepted until January 15, 2018. The store had the same speaker in a box that I asked to exchange it for. Instead of an even swap, the manager said I would have to pay an extra $10 because it was no longer on sale. I then asked for a refund and bought a better speaker at Walmart for $59.99. Big Lots just lost a customer. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Purchased a new set of furniture from Big Lots... within first week the couch broke. A loud pop noise and a spring. Flew out... They asked me to bring it back and get a new one which I did. This one runs and snags like crazy. I have so many runs it's ridiculous... cushions look smooshed and this within the first 6 months. I have had it about a year. I'm just so upset by it because for a family of six money was saved for our new furniture. I would never buy this set of furniture again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I bought a couch at Big Lots advertised as Ashley Furniture. This is the worst Quality Furniture that I have ever owned. I was told that during the Progressive Financing would help my credit. It was never reported to the credit agency and when I complained about it they told me, "Oh I don't know who told you that". Also the material on the couch gets runs and snags from nothing. The cushions were flat within less than 6 months. Also the frame separated from the springs and it is extremely uncomfortable. There is a guarantee on the furniture but the guarantee says you have to send the furniture back to the company. You know how much it would cost to send couches back to the manufacturer sure. I am thoroughly disappointed and I paid a lot of money for these couches. $1,200 to try and improve my credit. This didn't work and I am very angry. Don't buy furniture from Big Lots!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

One star because you can't do zero stars, I purchased a Simmons Top Gun Sectional Couch set and it broke (springs on two sections) in less than six months. I contacted the Simmons company and Big Lots customer service, Simmons never responded at all, Big Lots only responded after canceling the charge on my CC for the entire purchase. After a month or so of a serious runaround with Big Lots Customer service they wanted me to return the damaged couch to the store (over 200.00) to deliver. Now I was being asked to pay again to return a sectional couch!!! I paid 300 to have the crappy couch fixed and would NEVER buy a Simmons product again and I will NEVER buy anything of value more than a trinket from Big Lots! BOTH Companies Suck and the products are junk.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was denied a cancel request online because it had been "more than 10 minutes since the order was placed." I called 14 min. after I placed the order and realized that another store had it for half the price. I asked for a cancellation of shipment and they would rather ship the item, charge me, have me return the item or decline it when it arrives (as if everyone is home when they deliver) and then return the item for a credit. This is ridiculous. Amazon, Walmart, Target, Kmart, Wayfair, Birch Lane, none of these companies have such bad service as this. I will never buy online from Big Lots again. This is terrible customer service because of their antiquated system.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

About a year ago I bought a sofa, lounger. Within 6 mos it began to sag. It was only $500, but I began to get bites on my back. I've sprayed and sprayed and still after a couple of days, more bites. Well I've been using my lounge chair and not the couch, NO BITES. Whats with that?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I bought a couch and love seat from Big Lots a year ago. At the same time I bought a mattress and box spring. They are so uncomfortable that we really dislike both of them. You can't lay on the couch, don't use the love seat at all. We both fight over my husband's recliner, most comfortable item in the living room. The mattress and box spring... we both have aching backs. We have bought furniture from here before, but this was a total disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The dogs treat's made my dog Teddy sick. I have found bones hair and something black in the bags. It was a waste of my money. I can't believe all the dog food, all the noise about dog food factories killing dogs and making food out of them and you decide to send a treat for our dogs to be made in China. I am very unhappy this is ridiculous. Whoever decided to do that should have to eat it their self because you know darn well it's not chicken and I'm going to post this as far and wide as I can because this has got to stop.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought a reclining cuddle chair there and it ripped only a few months after I purchased it. Tried to make a complaint but manager there said there is nothing he can do! 300.00 down the drain. I noticed they have the exact same chair in there again and it's ripped in the same spot as mine! Some people should not be in business!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I purchased a couch from Big Lots and the spring broke on the 48th day. From the reviews I read getting any help with this would be pointless! But to my surprise the manager in the Tiffin OH store (Kim) took care of everything quickly and with absolutely stress free! Just like that I have a new replacement sitting in my living room. I'm very impressed and hope that any and all problems can be solved that easily and stress free! I'm absolutely amazed! Thank you Kim and everyone who helped to fix my unfortunate problem at Big Lots. Completely satisfied in Tiffin Ohio.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I bought an entertainment center with a fireplace. I went to put it together and there was some missing pieces. I called the manufacturer and they told me they couldn't get it in until December! I called the store I purchased it from and all they had was the display. I do not want the display. I called another Big Lots and they have 4 more in a box. I asked them if they could just give me the pieces I need. They said I had to bring it back. I have it already out of the box and I cannot get it in my car or back in the box.

The pieces are small and I don't know why they can't just give me the parts out of another box. If I took it back they would still have a box with missing parts. They don't seem to be very cooperative. I have my receipt. And all I want is 4 small pieces. If I got another box, I would make them open it to make sure all the parts are there. The stores are in Greenfield and Indianapolis on East Washington St. I don't want to wait until December. I want to put it together now. Thanks!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I bought two Simmons sofas around three years ago. They are junk. I paid $400 a piece for them. The one sofa's cushions are flat now and the other sofa completely sunk in on one side. I have to buy new ones now and can't sell the old ones. I should have gone to a reputable dealer and paid an extra buck. This is now hard earned money going down the tubes. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Online ordering - what a disappointment. I guess I'm used to Amazon's amazing service. I ordered a few things online that totaled over 100 dollars but with the online discount it fell right under and I was charged 11.99 shipping instead of free shipping. I called to see if I could cancel the order or add to it for free shipping and they said... "Nope. It can only be cancelled within 10 minutes of ordering." Even the customer service agent couldn't cancel my order. That said, it was in "processing" status for over a day. One might think it could have been cancelled within 20 minutes of ordering.. but no. I subsequently sent an email and had no response from them. I take responsibility for not rechecking the shipping free after the discount, but disappointed I was unable to cancel at all. Particularly within such a short time. Amazon.. I will never stray again.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Purchased a new sofa made by Simmons. Paid 320.00. Haven't had it a month cushions already collapsing. I have no children. It is a worthington in pewter. Stay away. Spend a little more. Quality is worth the price. Bringing my sofa back.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I enjoy shopping at Big Lots and have never had a complaint before. We saved up and bought a whole collection of the outdoor wicker-look furniture with bright red cushions. Very pretty. Well after the first month, the red cushions had sun-faded into an ugly, dirty-looking color. Then after the second summer, the resin wicker is all broken apart and just deteriorating so bad. I have had some Plow and Hearth furniture for 15 years that is still perfect. Of course it was more expensive, but worth it I guess.

I am so disappointed that I bought the couch, love seat, ottoman and wicker chair and now the second year it is awful and unsafe to sit or lay on. I called customer service and they said they need the original tags, which I don't have after two years. I guess I just don't want anyone else throwing their money away buying the substandard outdoor furniture. Perhaps if kept on an indoor porch it would be fine though. Now to start saving for better quality outdoor furniture and cushions. This review in no way reflects the workers at Big Lots stores, who are always very nice.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I purchased a Simmons made sectional sofa from Big Lots in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA on 1-21-2017. I began to notice that on the end of the sofa that I sit on (I live by myself) that there was a large sunk in place in the cushion and it would not pop back up when I got up. I called Simmons and they informed me that I should get back in touch with Big Lots that they had a 12 month warranty on the couch. I went to the store with pictures in my phone and spoke with the store manager (who just happened to be the person who sold me the couch). She was very kind and said that I had two options. One was to let them replace that section of the couch and the other was to refund my money (even though she explained that I was almost 2 weeks over the 4 month limit in order to get a full refund). She said that she had the ability to refund my money if that's what I wanted.

I went home and thought about this was a few hours and then called her and stated that I wanted my money back. I returned the couch and was refunded my money on a Credit Card. I lost money on this transaction because I had to pay someone to pick up and return the couch because Big Lots does not deliver or pick up. I am not sure that if I had not purchased this item from the store manager that anyone else would have returned my money. I was never told about the four month thing but I was told that the furniture had a 12 month warranty. My conclusion is that the quality of the Simmons furniture is not good at all and I would not recommend that anyone purchase that brand and especially from Big Lots. Maybe they should consider posting a large sign in their furniture section that says "No money refunded on furniture returned after 4 months". I will still shop there for smaller household items but not ever again for furniture.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Bought a recliner on 5-6-17, paid in full. Told rep I will pick-up on 5-7-17. Returned to pick-up and was told my purchased had been sold to another person. They tried to make me take the worn display model on floor. No way I take that one at paid priced of 212.00$. Agent responded I can come back next week and get same chair at over 300.00. Why? When I have paid receipt a purchase that belong to me. I will contact the BETTER BUSINESS people as soon as possible for recourse. BIG LOTS salespeople in furniture dept. are poorly trained and unprofessional. This occurs regularly at the WINSTON-SALEM, NC STORE ON UNIVERSITY PARKWAY. STORE# 1013.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We bought a Simmons loveseat recliner from Big Lots in Ephrata, PA. Neither is worth the room they take up. Big Lots didn't want to help with a return of this item and Simmons built a pile of junk. It was ripped from day one and now the recliners won't close properly. I'm not a rich man. This is why I shopped Big Lots but 529.00 for a recliner didn't come easy so I was hoping it would last longer than 6 months. But I guess I got what I paid for.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I purchased a gazebo in the summer of 2016 for $500. When you go to use the zippers they don't work. Because the gazebo is left open the majority of the time when you want to close the screen and be outside in mosquito season you quickly realize their zipper quality is garbage and don't work. I contacted customer service and they sent me out replacement panels for free but the zippers don't work. It's still the cheap fine clothing quality! (I know, I used to sew for many years!) Look at Walmart $200 gazebo with netting and you'll see what a sturdy an outdoor vinyl zipper should be!! I'm now going to order Walmart's 10x12 mosquito netting and use it for my 10x12 Wilson Fischer! Quality scam gazebo. (The overall size should work just fine.)

Original review: March 30, 2017

I purchased my sofa on March 7th. It is only March 29th and the seam on the one cushion is already ripped. All of the cushions are saggy the sides are pulling apart from the arm rests. So upset with this purchase. It has only been sat on a few times at night. There is no reason this couch should look years old instead of 3wks old. Just glad I noticed it now before the 30 day return limit. I have my receipt and will be returning tomorrow!! I will pay a little bit more somewhere else for something that will last a lot longer!!!

Original review: March 19, 2017

Today was the worst day experience. I went to Big Lots trying to return an electronic. The Manager and customer service accuse me of being a thief in front of my daughter and more customer, ONLY because the electronic that I purchased was White and the wire connection was Black, they accused me to stole the wire cable in color white just because the Bluetooth was white. I explained to them that was the original wire and the color was black. I say, "Can you go and open a new one and check." She went to double check. When they confirm I was saying the true they tell to another one with bad attitude "you can do the return."

When the cashier finish with my return, I went to speak with the manager and the customer service was involved in the problem and I requested an apology for call me a thief, and I received a bad attitude. Why she has to apologize well I told her she was wrong to call me a thief so she did a false accusation of myself in front of more people. Well in the end I left the store they not apologize. They proved to me the lack of the education of this 2 people the manager and the customer service that work in the store # 1420 in Phillipsburg NJ.

Original review: March 1, 2017

My father recently suffered several life-threatening issues that caused him to no longer care for himself. Recently I purchased him a television and he advised that Big Lots store #1155 would be the best place to purchase his stand as he was satisfied with his prior purchase however the service we received today was nothing close to what he had experienced in the past. Christian was our sales rep and he knew very little of what was to be done. He advised myself, my sister and our father that the stand was sold out and it would be at least two weeks before any additional ones would be in.

He then told us that selling of the display would need to be approved by the manager but he was off. I explained to him that I came in from out of town and wouldn't mind waiting for him to contact the manager for approval. He walks away and returns about 10 minutes later to tell us that he contacted the manager however he's not on call and only works when he's at the store. I then asked him who was in charge when he wasn't in store and he said Sarah **. I asked him would he please grab her and he advised us that she said she was busy and had other tasks that she was responsible for and would not come over.

At this point I told him that it would behoove him to have Sarah come speak with us. I asked him and the front cashier for the district managers name but it wasn't given. I often shop at the Sugarland location on hwy 6 and have never experienced such disrespect and disregard to a customer. My father was so irritated and disappointed with the service that he asked us to leave because he felt as though no one there wanted to assist him. I plan on making a BBB Complaint as well as any other reviews that can be made regarding today's experience.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My wife and I purchased a leather sofa and loveseat in brown leather. We had purchased a recliner before and it is still very nice shape. The sofa and loveseat made by Simmons started to lose the outer coating after less than 2 years. I feel it must be a defect because our recliner is older and has no issues... Same material on both. It is a large purchase to buy living room furniture that only lasted 2 years!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I bought a large sofa from Big Lots back in 2006 and just put it out for the dump yesterday 2-9-2017. The couch is 11 years old. It has been slept on, feet on it, etc. and the only problem the couch had was that the springs had started wearing out and the cushions sagged. Since the cushions could be removed I just took some pillows from another old couch (because we had two) and placed them under the pillows. But they didn't start sagging until about 5 years later. I am talking about a couch with 11 years on it, countless after countless small children and teenagers sitting on it, and it still held up. I paid 350.00 for that couch.

The one thing I liked was it was made in the USA. I have also bought damaged floor models for cheap and had a friend fix the small issues and never had a problem at all. I have a leather (faux) oversized recliner that we got last year and have never had any problems with it at all. Also bought a broke dual recliner love seat with middle console that charges your cell phones etc., and my friend fixed the small problem and the only issue with that is one of the recliner feet area bent but that was my teen's fault she put her legs to the side of it. Furniture with any amount of wear and tear is going to come apart or tear up... but people up until yesterday still slept on that couch, still sit on it without any complaints etc. so I would say 11 years is pretty darn good... so thanks Big Lots for getting American Made furniture.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I recently and stupidly left my purse in a cart at the Big Lots Store in Lancaster, NY. I returned to the store after a frantic search. My purse, cards and a rather large amount of cash was intact. Kudos to their employees and my huge gratitude, as I am retired and on a fixed income. They were and always have been both friendly and helpful. Again a huge Thank you to all!???

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I was very impressed at the furniture that was on display. I purchased two identical recliners and paid $600. Two months later the back of one side broke. The other leg rest was stuck in the upright position. I thought it was just the recliners that were poor quality. So $600 went into the garbage. My Husband suggested that we get one of their 2 piece sectionals. Well the closest Big Lots was out of the one side. We drove to the other side of town to "purchase" it at another Big Lots. We paid the extra to have it delivered. It was just that, delivered. Not cut out of the plastic, not set up... just delivered.

Two months later the cushioning has collapsed because the "S" shaped metal seating that is attached from the back to the front came undone. My Husband ended up just cutting off the entire black undercloth and reconnected it multiple times. We spent $900 for this sectional. When we sit down our knees are at the same level as our chest. We now have blocks underneath to hold up the cushions. We are on a fixed income so until we can recoup the cost we are stuck. Big Lots manager said I has 30 day return policy but I should contact Simmons. Simmons said to return it to Big Lots... Hello, this is a sectional sofa. After all of this, I find out from my friend and my Father that they had the same thing happen to them. Never again will I buy for Big Lots.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Purchased a couch and chair. Got the couch home. A few months later decided to put the legs on the bottom of the couch. On the back part of the couch there is no wood frame to put leg on. This is what we ended up with after paying close to 1000.00 for the two pieces. I would not recommend purchasing this cheap made furniture!! Photos are of the under back side of the couch.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I went into the Big Lots in Portsmouth, NH on Friday, January 6, 2017, at approximately 8:45 pm. I was immediately greeted by one of the employees. That was fine. I was then asked by another employee if there was anything she could help me find, to which I replied, 'No'. Little did I realize that she most likely asked me that because the store was closing at 9:00 pm, which I didn't realize until I heard an announcement made at 8:55 pm. Two things: the temperature in the store was so uncomfortably cold, that I don't know how anyone would want to even be IN the store. Also, I was looking at the Christmas clearance items: only 50% off Christmas items (gift bags, Christmas cards, decor, etc), and only 25% off Christmas-themed food items!!! Are you kidding me?!?

ALL other retailers by this time have at LEAST 75% off Christmas items!!! And only 25% off food items?!? Give me a break! They had their Valentines stuff out, but only 25% off Xmas candy??? And to top it all off, I found out they did away with the Scrapbooking department - the reason why I went in there in the first place. Again, very disappointed from such a quick visit. And what large retail store closes at 9p on a Friday night anyway?!? No reason to go back - Ocean State Job Lots is just down the street and they keep the heat on for customers!

Big Lots Company Information

www.biglots.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use