1.41/5

245 Big Lots Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I was surprised at the fashionable items available at the sturdy. Most of the furniture, especially the couches and beds, looked and felt sturdy. They also had nice office furniture and accessories like pillows and mattress toppers.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I chose Big Lots to get my couch set because they had it in stock and it was inexpensive. And I was very happy with the variety of styles, color and material that was offered. The sales associates were very helpful in finding the product we wanted.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Had to track down a "unicorn" for granddaughter's Christmas. Big Lots on Sherman Way in N.H. CA provided me with the nicest employee I have ever come across. Nicole - she called 4 stores and found it for me. Her demeanor & attitude was 5 stars. When I retrieved it in Northridge (CA) I again ran into another great employee - (a young man). Then the asst mgr helped me find a bag for it. Keep up the good work HR!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I went to the Big Lots on Broadway in Knoxville TN on Good Friday for a particular wreath I was looking for and the rack was empty so I went and found an employee named Melody and she went in the stockroom and found a box of the wreaths I wanted. She was very patient and very helpful to satisfy my need. I recommend she should be given a raise because she went beyond her duties on a busy shopping day.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I'm almost up with my 90 days, I purchased 900.00, I owe 140. What I don't agree with is that all the money I have already paid is of no use, cause they still charge interest on the full amount and not on the balance owed. Is this legal? It says balance paid off by May 27th but I get paid on the 30th. Is there a grace period?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: May 19, 2019

When I purchased this mattress I saved my money because I wanted to buy a good mattress. So I did my research and went to different places and checked the prices and checked the firmness of them. I wanted a Serta sleeper. I decided on Big Lots. I purchased the mattress and box spring for about $850.00. I got the mattress home and couldn't wait to get to bed that night. All night I kept climbing out of this hole. I took the bed apart thinking that maybe the frame might have not been put together correctly.

Again I'm climbing out of this hole. I called Big Lots and I was told that it takes time to get use to a new bed. Well it's a year and a half later and I have had a platform built under the bed and still I'm climbing up out of this hole. I'm convinced that this is a refurbished mattress. Normally you have to break in a mattress but this mattress was already broken in and that should be against the law. Now I have to purchase another mattress because now I have back problems.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was a regular consumer who works buy the healthy cereals in the cereal aisle and other stuff. Gradually, the store in Reisterstown, MD stopped carrying food healthy cereals for junk high sugar crap. I asked the manager when they will get the cereal in that I like. He told me he had no idea and then I demanded the phone number for corporate to file a complaint about the products they no longer carry. The only thing worth my money there is bread and a few other things, but soon I will stop shopping there, as I spend 500 a month there. Store - Reisterstown MD. Cashier who was an illegal had no idea what she was doing.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Great selection of recliners, overstuffed, extra wide, choices of fabric and prices were reasonable. Items are displayed together and staff is very helpful with questions about options for paying and deliveries.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I ordered a wall decor online and found it weird I never received an email confirmation. That was 2 weeks ago. I called customer service to inquire and told them I never received an email confirmation as ALL merchants send out. He said without order number he can't check. Then he asks for my email, so I give it to him and there's no record of me, yet my credit card was charged 2 weeks ago. Big scam I'm thinking online. Not send confirmation email then say they can't help you because you don't have it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I purchased Simmons furniture from Big Lots and the furniture is peeling. After contacting Simmons and providing all the requested information. They will not repair/replace the furniture. Simmons was attempting to convince me that they don't use point of sale technology or logistics to track their furniture.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I called Big Lots inquiring about buying a large amount of furniture. They gave all the payment options over the phone. I went into the store, the gentleman explained it very simply to me. Weekly payments have been withdraw on time every Friday morning. I went to log on to see how I could get a receipt for my payments since I was coming up on my last week. Just to log on and see the huge balance that was triple what my actual purchase was. Turns out he didn’t explain it correct. My payment of $1,900... has turned into a total of $6,000. Word to the wise don’t electronically sign for something not seen. I was told I would receive an email of the agreement after I signed.

Never would have amounted to the price needed to pay off. Which in turn set me up for 12 months of payments. I called customer service to tell them how confused I was. I’ve already paid every week on time. I’ve given them $1,800 already. Only thing to “fix” the miscommunication was an early buy out payment of $2,000. Which is more than I already paid in total for my furniture. Saying I feel blindsided is an understatement. I was left confused, frustrated and broke. I wouldn’t recommend this at all.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Do not purchase furniture from this retailer. In my opinion Big Lots should get out of the furniture business because they are only stealing from hard-working people. If not they should stand by their product or make the quality better. My stepfather purchased a sofa and recliner set from there. It only lasted a couple of years and when he called to ask that they replace it because surely this was not the norm, they refused. Both pieces started to shed at the same time might I add. He nor his guest can sit on the furniture without it coming off on the clothes. It got so embarrassing that he put a sheet on it. I would love to know if Big Lots check these reviews or not. They can't possibly believe it's ok to take hard working people's money and give them junk. This is an outrage. We knew the furniture was pleather but it should last longer than a couple of years.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We are still awaiting the cleaning kit for furniture that was purchased as part of our warranty. We were told it would be 3 days, 7 days, and now told it is on back order. Each time we have spoken to customer service they have mislead and rude. This doesn't even include the worthless warranty we have. I will never use these people again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I would never ever buy any furniture from here again. It was my very first brand new couch. I'm low income and saved forever to just get junk. I bought a sectional sofa and it flakes like crazy. Hardly any leather left. Well if you call it that. If you lie on it you have ** all over your clothes. It's the worst ever. I called them do to it being only a year old and they said, "Sorry. Nothing we can do." Go figure. I wish I could sue them. I feel I was robbed and it will take me another 5 years to save for a new couch if this one even makes it that long. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I would like to start out by saying that I am a 51 year old ** male that has the disorder/handicap Tourette syndrome. I went to the local Big Lots store in Holbrook New York to get a few items that I needed. I have been to this store many times before but this time I was a little noisier than usual and my Outburst were a little more pronounced bear in mind. Some outburst could be taken as rude or insensitive to younger individuals or certain races if you know what I mean. The words ** & ** did slip out but never directed at anyone in general.

Again this is part of my handicap amongst many other types of outbursts. I was approached by a heavier-set blond haired female. I think she was a manager.

And was told that I am being asked to leave the store because I'm making some of the customers uncomfortable. Now I understand that some people don't or will not understand my infliction but I'm not here to make friends. I'm here just like anybody else to be a patron and purchase what I need. So I apologized and also explained that I have Tourette's and I'm not here to cause any problems. She persisted with being rude and insensitive to insist that I leave. I explained to her that I have no problem with that but if I wanted I also could call the police have a report written and pursue a lawyer. I think I backed her into a corner because she also said she could call the police. I really wish she did because I would have blown this whole situation out of proportion.

I proceeded on purchasing what I already had in my hands and walked out never to pursue anymore of what just happened. I am insulted and utterly appalled on the lack of education and professionalism of these managers. I will never ever patronize another Big Lots for as long as I live. I wouldn't give them a dime of my hard-earned money. But the funny thing is I definitely make more on my job than this manager makes on hers. And I'm the **? Big Lots Corporation should do a little more background on these managers and employees because it's only showing what kind of Corporation they are by who they hire. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Pertinent Information. Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:20 PM. Register 2. Receipt number **. Barcode Number **. “Loyalty Number” #**. Respectfully, I fully expect nothing to come from this. But I feel that I need to express my distaste for Big Lots Store #0117 and their appalling staff and management. Today I went into the West Ashley Big Lots Store #0117 located at 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd #15, Charleston, SC 29407. I spent 30 minutes walking around the entire store enjoying viewing the new layout, clean aisles, and holiday items available. By the time I was ready to check out there were several long lines where I waited my turn to check out with my Halloween card and cake mix which should have been a total of $5.59.

A very nice customer let me in front of them while they looked at other store items. The cashier struggled to pause the previous customer's transaction for several minutes before she could switch screens. I asked the cashier for a loyalty card, she signed me up. I had a $20 dollar bill in my hand to cash out. She hit the button for card. I corrected her. She stared off into space until I corrected her again. Then I handed her my $20, she shoved my loyalty card in the bag. Handed me my change and a receipt.

After this she slapped her register closed, jumped off of her spot and a ** brunette that appeared in her late thirties early forties jumped on and started taking customers after me. I walked out of the sliding doors, stopped, looked down to put the receipt and I saw that the cashier shorted me a $10 dollar bill. I originally thought that this was going to be a mild annoyance, I turn around, walk back in within less than a literal minute. I walked up to the cashier. She asked what was wrong and I told her she shorted me a $10. She promptly snapped at me “I know I handed you the change.” I held up the four one dollar bill and spare change with receipt. She told me I had to wait her till was cashed out and that I would have to wait for the manager. I told her I would. Waited. Several minutes went by as I watched her complain about other staff members leaving her at the register alone and disappearing on her to other staff standing there.

A few more minutes pass, at this time I am still waiting as she jumps on another register and rings up more customers. I have now witnessed her touch multiple registers, while the other staff is still ringing up customers with cash on the same register I was helped on. The manager then shows up. Between her and the cashier they don’t know how to check the till for the correct numbers. That I will have to wait for the head of the store “**” because the assistant manager has not been trained to run the register. ** arrives after a 10 minute wait, the new cashier is still ringing up cash deals on the register that I was at. ** takes his time coming in watches several people being rung up. Then takes the till to the back. After a few minutes he comes back and basically calls me a liar. The till is .11 cents over.

When I demand my change, he shrugs and stares at the floor. I cursed, call the cashier a thief and incompetent and demand a refund. I toss the bag on the floor furious. I receive a refund for $5.59. I then asked for “**” manager's name which was ** and asked how I was able to get in contact with him. I was simply told 1-800-Big-Lots.

Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:57 PM. Register 2. Receipt number **. Barcode Number **. “Loyalty Number” #**. Sales Associate **. I am not upset only for the $10. I am upset for being told to wait because even the assistant manager didn’t know how to run a register, that staff were still allowed to cash people out on a register that was incorrect, that I was called a liar because the cashier doesn’t know how to give correct change. She couldn’t give me the correct change what didn’t stop her from giving another customer before or after me a $10 dollar bill over their receipt and I was the one affected. I have worked as a cashier for many years. It is always required to count a fresh till when a shift change occurs. It is ridiculous that this is not a policy at Big Lots

As soon I left in tears, I called the 1 800 number. Explained my story. The lady on the line apologized and said she would send my message to the correct parties, this is a follow up to that incident which my reference number is **. Personally all I want is a check for my $10.00 back. Not a gift card, no coupons just a check for my $10. This has ruined my Sunday. Ruined ever going back into a Big Lots. If you look at the cameras of the registers and the storefront of Big Lots #0117 you will see the exact events happen between the time of Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:20 PM and 12:57 PM. I just want my $10 back, I am very disappointed in the way this was handled and the incompetence and rude behavior of the entire staff. This should be put on ** and the cashier’s record.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Please do not buy furniture from Big Lots. I bought Simmons and regret it. My 3 piece is peeling within 2 years. I was told to pay for parts, shipping and hire someone to repair. This is wrong in so many ways.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Do not buy this set from here. As a matter of fact, don't buy ANY furniture from here! I should have returned this to the store but I'm disabled & didn't have a way to transport it back. The arms of the sofa are junk, be sure to push on them... no batting, just wood! The cushions are made horribly. They're flat after 2 months. Idk who builds this garbage but someone needs to sue them. They intentionally build JUNK! I bought the warranty & am waiting on a gift card to replace my junk couch. The thing is... they only have more expensive junk! Am so pissed! Idk who is leaving all these good reviews... people who buy the furniture only to look at & not use it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

2 days before I was going to pick up my furniture priced over 1100.00 total... I received a coupon for 100.00 off 600.00 or more, I took the coupon with me when I went in to pick my stuff up, I was told by Todd he "Store Manager." He would not accept the coupon because I already paid for my stuff. Todd started to get loud and told me it states not honored on previous sales. I was told by the sales person when it they will honor any sale price that may happen if it is within 30 days. Todd continued to refuse and told me if I do not like then he will give me my money back, so Todd lost the 1100.00 sale. Nice management skills Todd. You real need to find a new job you cannot yell at customers and expect them to want to do business with your store... Big Lots will not last long with staff like Todd. Last thing Todd kept refusing to give me any phone numbers of district manager or Corporate office to contact.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We spent 1,270.78 on a sectional and ottoman and recliner combo. We purchased the three year coverage for 100$. We have been trying to file a claim to get a small rip in the couch fixed which should be covered. Went online and tried to file a claim numerous times and will not allow you to. Attempted to call and file claim. Been on hold for over 20 mins with no one answering the phone. I feel we were scammed out of 100$.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I purchased a blue pop up tent for an event this summer and the tent was broke. The metal piece to hold the tent up was broke. So we had rig it. Ok so thinking maybe I just got a bad one I bought another one white this time. Well it was broke too. Like WTF. Never again. 140$ all together. They have lost my business and I used to love shopping there. No more. That's the last $140 they will get from me.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We have been frequent and loyal customers to the Big Lots in Winter Haven FL. In the last year or more customer service has gotten terrible and practically nonexistent. We had made numerous attempts to the store in attempts to pick up items laid away but EVERY time there was NO assistance in the furniture department. We would go to Store’s Customer Service Counter and they would call for assistance. We waited 30 minutes to an hour each time and we would eventually would leave without it. It was a big problem but the depth of which was recently revealed when we attempted to pick up our paid off layaway purchases for furniture on 7/24/2018. We waited for 20 minutes then finally found a store associate to page someone. It took another 15 for an employee to show up. Then We were told that the records for mine were ‘purged’ and that my daughter's were delivered (Not to us).

They can’t release information about the delivery which seems awfully shady! The associate then called for a MGR (Lorie) who could offer no assistance nor apology. She told us our only recourse was to contact corporate. Upon doing so we were told it has to go through store manager who has yet to return any calls. Neither end will help us which amounts to close to $2000 in losses. Do not put items on layaway at this location! I have stopped shopping there because you can’t even get through register in under 30 minutes. This store is in serious need of corporate intervention and removal of all Management at this location immediately!

Original review: June 30, 2018

I ordered my first sofa and loveseat which was a Simmons brand and it felt like I was sitting on a pancake. Simmons replaced the furniture and my boyfriend and I have developed a cough. And the furniture is flat as a pancake. Today I took the stuffing out of the furniture and it's actually composed of recycled garbage. Look at the pictures. Is this legal for a company to do this with furniture?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Went to the store in Union City carrying my backpack and handbag. Person in charge with attitude said, "You know you going to be searched before leaving." Asked the cashier if she spoke Spanish to translate to me. I don't speak Spanish. Never felt humiliated in my life. Will never go there again.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Tried to cancel an order 2 hours after I ordered it. They emailed me the next day saying it was too late. I asked about returning it, without exaggerating I was on the phone over 40 min. I finally got a return authorization email I could print out. It didn't work. Called again. This one worked. Now I find out that I have to pay shipping plus a 20% restocking fee. I buy everything online and this is the worst service and policy I've yet to see. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL NOT BE SHOPPING BIG LOTS EVER.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wilson & Fisher patio furniture - Purchased a 6-piece Pinehurst collection and I am having issues with the wicker becoming so brittle it is crumbling apart. I store it in my garage during the winter and after two season all the wicker around the coffee table is just crumbling apart. On top of that, the straps on the seat frame for the couch and two chairs have stretched so much you sink to the ground. I have called Big Lots corporate and can't get anywhere and have also called the store I purchased it at. They are of no help.

I purchased two of these sets, one for me and one as a housewarming gift for my daughter. We both also have the same brand in the swivel chairs and have had no issues with this set and it is 6 yrs old. I used to recommend the patio furniture from Big Lots to everyone. I will never do this again since they couldn't even check into getting me new frames for the couch or chairs. My only option is to literally throw the entire set away as there is no way they can be used without new frames.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Big Lots does not have enough sale products on hand. They ran out of Diet Coke in a day and a 1/2 and will not have any more product for 5 days and the sale is over in 6 days. They do not offer a rain check so it is highly unlikely that I will be able to buy the Diet Coke I need in time.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Wilson & Fisher Patio Furniture - Bought an entire set from Big Lots last spring. I even bought chair covers to protect them from the elements when not in use. Even with that, the "wicker" has become brittle and is breaking into little pieces exposing the metal wire frame. I don't know if this is how all "weather wicker" products handle the heat, but I think I will look for metal patio furniture and just change the cushions as needed.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a sofa and loveseat set from Big Lots six months ago. Within 3 months, the sofa was beginning to come apart in 3 different places. I have a warranty, and was told it covers the fabric covering, but that I would have to pay to have it repaired! Now 6 months later there are holes in my sofa and I'm out $600+! Do NOT BUY THEIR SOFAS! The price is cheap because the quality is cheap. Keep your money!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Over 2 weeks ago, I purchased 2 storage beds from Big Lots. I transported the begs home in my SUV. I decided to put the beds together the next day, not realizing they were infested with BED BUGS!!! I took the first bed from the box and as we were pulling the wood apart bed bugs began crawling up my walls! I contacted Big Lots and they tried to blow me off at first, but later agreed to send their delivery man to pick the beds up. I was issued a refund, but my apartment and my vehicle are bed bug infested! I've tried contacting corporate, but have not been contacted. I feel that I should be compensated but Big Lots is showing my family and I no consideration! Big Lots has lost my business indefinitely! I have been spraying my apartment for over 2 weeks now, but the infestation continues. My life has been turned upside down because this situation has been so stressful! What if this was YOUR family??!

Big Lots Company Information