1.36/5
Based on 180 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

223 Big Lots Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 30, 2018

I ordered my first sofa and loveseat which was a Simmons brand and it felt like I was sitting on a pancake. Simmons replaced the furniture and my boyfriend and I have developed a cough. And the furniture is flat as a pancake. Today I took the stuffing out of the furniture and it's actually composed of recycled garbage. Look at the pictures. Is this legal for a company to do this with furniture?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Went to the store in Union City carrying my backpack and handbag. Person in charge with attitude said, "You know you going to be searched before leaving." Asked the cashier if she spoke Spanish to translate to me. I don't speak Spanish. Never felt humiliated in my life. Will never go there again.

Big Lots Store Reviews: What To Know | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 29, 2018

Tried to cancel an order 2 hours after I ordered it. They emailed me the next day saying it was too late. I asked about returning it, without exaggerating I was on the phone over 40 min. I finally got a return authorization email I could print out. It didn't work. Called again. This one worked. Now I find out that I have to pay shipping plus a 20% restocking fee. I buy everything online and this is the worst service and policy I've yet to see. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL NOT BE SHOPPING BIG LOTS EVER.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wilson & Fisher patio furniture - Purchased a 6-piece Pinehurst collection and I am having issues with the wicker becoming so brittle it is crumbling apart. I store it in my garage during the winter and after two season all the wicker around the coffee table is just crumbling apart. On top of that, the straps on the seat frame for the couch and two chairs have stretched so much you sink to the ground. I have called Big Lots corporate and can't get anywhere and have also called the store I purchased it at. They are of no help.

I purchased two of these sets, one for me and one as a housewarming gift for my daughter. We both also have the same brand in the swivel chairs and have had no issues with this set and it is 6 yrs old. I used to recommend the patio furniture from Big Lots to everyone. I will never do this again since they couldn't even check into getting me new frames for the couch or chairs. My only option is to literally throw the entire set away as there is no way they can be used without new frames.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Big Lots does not have enough sale products on hand. They ran out of Diet Coke in a day and a 1/2 and will not have any more product for 5 days and the sale is over in 6 days. They do not offer a rain check so it is highly unlikely that I will be able to buy the Diet Coke I need in time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: March 31, 2018

Wilson & Fisher Patio Furniture - Bought an entire set from Big Lots last spring. I even bought chair covers to protect them from the elements when not in use. Even with that, the "wicker" has become brittle and is breaking into little pieces exposing the metal wire frame. I don't know if this is how all "weather wicker" products handle the heat, but I think I will look for metal patio furniture and just change the cushions as needed.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a sofa and loveseat set from Big Lots six months ago. Within 3 months, the sofa was beginning to come apart in 3 different places. I have a warranty, and was told it covers the fabric covering, but that I would have to pay to have it repaired! Now 6 months later there are holes in my sofa and I'm out $600+! Do NOT BUY THEIR SOFAS! The price is cheap because the quality is cheap. Keep your money!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Over 2 weeks ago, I purchased 2 storage beds from Big Lots. I transported the begs home in my SUV. I decided to put the beds together the next day, not realizing they were infested with BED BUGS!!! I took the first bed from the box and as we were pulling the wood apart bed bugs began crawling up my walls! I contacted Big Lots and they tried to blow me off at first, but later agreed to send their delivery man to pick the beds up. I was issued a refund, but my apartment and my vehicle are bed bug infested! I've tried contacting corporate, but have not been contacted. I feel that I should be compensated but Big Lots is showing my family and I no consideration! Big Lots has lost my business indefinitely! I have been spraying my apartment for over 2 weeks now, but the infestation continues. My life has been turned upside down because this situation has been so stressful! What if this was YOUR family??!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Today, I purchased a Simmons recliner from our local Big Lots. The chair was in a box. Unpacked it at home and the wooden back support was broken & split the entire length. It was also hastily "repaired" with about 100+ staples. Where the bottom of the chair attaches to the metal mechanism, another board was broken, right where the screws are. Looked nice on the display floor, but not nice at all when it's broken BEFORE anyone even sat on it. Taking it back to the store now. Piece of garbage, don't waste your money at that store. This is the LAST time I set foot in any Big Lots, what a rip-off.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased a Gazebo and you can't return the products so you have to file a warranty claim. File the claim and of course the warranty was denied stating because of weather related issues. $400 gone down the drain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I bought a faux leather Sectional and 2 recliners that started shedding and peeling 2nd year after purchase. Should have done my research before purchasing to find many had same problem. My furniture was used in my den and lightly used at that. If you contact the company, you'll receive a generic apology. Only recourse is to purchase replacement (generic) material from them plus shipping and you have to hire a technician to repair at a cost to you for their faulty materials. Do not buy. Because of my experience with this I will never buy a 'Simmons' product.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

On November 24, 2017 I purchased a Polaroid speaker wireless Bluetooth speaker listed at $25 for $15 on sale. I used it once. The next day it stopped working. I returned it December 24 with the receipt that stated return will be accepted until January 15, 2018. The store had the same speaker in a box that I asked to exchange it for. Instead of an even swap, the manager said I would have to pay an extra $10 because it was no longer on sale. I then asked for a refund and bought a better speaker at Walmart for $59.99. Big Lots just lost a customer. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Purchased a new set of furniture from Big Lots... within first week the couch broke. A loud pop noise and a spring. Flew out... They asked me to bring it back and get a new one which I did. This one runs and snags like crazy. I have so many runs it's ridiculous... cushions look smooshed and this within the first 6 months. I have had it about a year. I'm just so upset by it because for a family of six money was saved for our new furniture. I would never buy this set of furniture again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I bought a couch at Big Lots advertised as Ashley Furniture. This is the worst Quality Furniture that I have ever owned. I was told that during the Progressive Financing would help my credit. It was never reported to the credit agency and when I complained about it they told me, "Oh I don't know who told you that". Also the material on the couch gets runs and snags from nothing. The cushions were flat within less than 6 months. Also the frame separated from the springs and it is extremely uncomfortable. There is a guarantee on the furniture but the guarantee says you have to send the furniture back to the company. You know how much it would cost to send couches back to the manufacturer sure. I am thoroughly disappointed and I paid a lot of money for these couches. $1,200 to try and improve my credit. This didn't work and I am very angry. Don't buy furniture from Big Lots!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

One star because you can't do zero stars, I purchased a Simmons Top Gun Sectional Couch set and it broke (springs on two sections) in less than six months. I contacted the Simmons company and Big Lots customer service, Simmons never responded at all, Big Lots only responded after canceling the charge on my CC for the entire purchase. After a month or so of a serious runaround with Big Lots Customer service they wanted me to return the damaged couch to the store (over 200.00) to deliver. Now I was being asked to pay again to return a sectional couch!!! I paid 300 to have the crappy couch fixed and would NEVER buy a Simmons product again and I will NEVER buy anything of value more than a trinket from Big Lots! BOTH Companies Suck and the products are junk.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was denied a cancel request online because it had been "more than 10 minutes since the order was placed." I called 14 min. after I placed the order and realized that another store had it for half the price. I asked for a cancellation of shipment and they would rather ship the item, charge me, have me return the item or decline it when it arrives (as if everyone is home when they deliver) and then return the item for a credit. This is ridiculous. Amazon, Walmart, Target, Kmart, Wayfair, Birch Lane, none of these companies have such bad service as this. I will never buy online from Big Lots again. This is terrible customer service because of their antiquated system.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

About a year ago I bought a sofa, lounger. Within 6 mos it began to sag. It was only $500, but I began to get bites on my back. I've sprayed and sprayed and still after a couple of days, more bites. Well I've been using my lounge chair and not the couch, NO BITES. Whats with that?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I bought a couch and love seat from Big Lots a year ago. At the same time I bought a mattress and box spring. They are so uncomfortable that we really dislike both of them. You can't lay on the couch, don't use the love seat at all. We both fight over my husband's recliner, most comfortable item in the living room. The mattress and box spring... we both have aching backs. We have bought furniture from here before, but this was a total disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The dogs treat's made my dog Teddy sick. I have found bones hair and something black in the bags. It was a waste of my money. I can't believe all the dog food, all the noise about dog food factories killing dogs and making food out of them and you decide to send a treat for our dogs to be made in China. I am very unhappy this is ridiculous. Whoever decided to do that should have to eat it their self because you know darn well it's not chicken and I'm going to post this as far and wide as I can because this has got to stop.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought a reclining cuddle chair there and it ripped only a few months after I purchased it. Tried to make a complaint but manager there said there is nothing he can do! 300.00 down the drain. I noticed they have the exact same chair in there again and it's ripped in the same spot as mine! Some people should not be in business!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I purchased a couch from Big Lots and the spring broke on the 48th day. From the reviews I read getting any help with this would be pointless! But to my surprise the manager in the Tiffin OH store (Kim) took care of everything quickly and with absolutely stress free! Just like that I have a new replacement sitting in my living room. I'm very impressed and hope that any and all problems can be solved that easily and stress free! I'm absolutely amazed! Thank you Kim and everyone who helped to fix my unfortunate problem at Big Lots. Completely satisfied in Tiffin Ohio.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I bought an entertainment center with a fireplace. I went to put it together and there was some missing pieces. I called the manufacturer and they told me they couldn't get it in until December! I called the store I purchased it from and all they had was the display. I do not want the display. I called another Big Lots and they have 4 more in a box. I asked them if they could just give me the pieces I need. They said I had to bring it back. I have it already out of the box and I cannot get it in my car or back in the box.

The pieces are small and I don't know why they can't just give me the parts out of another box. If I took it back they would still have a box with missing parts. They don't seem to be very cooperative. I have my receipt. And all I want is 4 small pieces. If I got another box, I would make them open it to make sure all the parts are there. The stores are in Greenfield and Indianapolis on East Washington St. I don't want to wait until December. I want to put it together now. Thanks!

Original review: July 15, 2017

I bought two Simmons sofas around three years ago. They are junk. I paid $400 a piece for them. The one sofa's cushions are flat now and the other sofa completely sunk in on one side. I have to buy new ones now and can't sell the old ones. I should have gone to a reputable dealer and paid an extra buck. This is now hard earned money going down the tubes. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Online ordering - what a disappointment. I guess I'm used to Amazon's amazing service. I ordered a few things online that totaled over 100 dollars but with the online discount it fell right under and I was charged 11.99 shipping instead of free shipping. I called to see if I could cancel the order or add to it for free shipping and they said... "Nope. It can only be cancelled within 10 minutes of ordering." Even the customer service agent couldn't cancel my order. That said, it was in "processing" status for over a day. One might think it could have been cancelled within 20 minutes of ordering.. but no. I subsequently sent an email and had no response from them. I take responsibility for not rechecking the shipping free after the discount, but disappointed I was unable to cancel at all. Particularly within such a short time. Amazon.. I will never stray again.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Purchased a new sofa made by Simmons. Paid 320.00. Haven't had it a month cushions already collapsing. I have no children. It is a worthington in pewter. Stay away. Spend a little more. Quality is worth the price. Bringing my sofa back.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I enjoy shopping at Big Lots and have never had a complaint before. We saved up and bought a whole collection of the outdoor wicker-look furniture with bright red cushions. Very pretty. Well after the first month, the red cushions had sun-faded into an ugly, dirty-looking color. Then after the second summer, the resin wicker is all broken apart and just deteriorating so bad. I have had some Plow and Hearth furniture for 15 years that is still perfect. Of course it was more expensive, but worth it I guess.

I am so disappointed that I bought the couch, love seat, ottoman and wicker chair and now the second year it is awful and unsafe to sit or lay on. I called customer service and they said they need the original tags, which I don't have after two years. I guess I just don't want anyone else throwing their money away buying the substandard outdoor furniture. Perhaps if kept on an indoor porch it would be fine though. Now to start saving for better quality outdoor furniture and cushions. This review in no way reflects the workers at Big Lots stores, who are always very nice.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I purchased a Simmons made sectional sofa from Big Lots in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA on 1-21-2017. I began to notice that on the end of the sofa that I sit on (I live by myself) that there was a large sunk in place in the cushion and it would not pop back up when I got up. I called Simmons and they informed me that I should get back in touch with Big Lots that they had a 12 month warranty on the couch. I went to the store with pictures in my phone and spoke with the store manager (who just happened to be the person who sold me the couch). She was very kind and said that I had two options. One was to let them replace that section of the couch and the other was to refund my money (even though she explained that I was almost 2 weeks over the 4 month limit in order to get a full refund). She said that she had the ability to refund my money if that's what I wanted.

I went home and thought about this was a few hours and then called her and stated that I wanted my money back. I returned the couch and was refunded my money on a Credit Card. I lost money on this transaction because I had to pay someone to pick up and return the couch because Big Lots does not deliver or pick up. I am not sure that if I had not purchased this item from the store manager that anyone else would have returned my money. I was never told about the four month thing but I was told that the furniture had a 12 month warranty. My conclusion is that the quality of the Simmons furniture is not good at all and I would not recommend that anyone purchase that brand and especially from Big Lots. Maybe they should consider posting a large sign in their furniture section that says "No money refunded on furniture returned after 4 months". I will still shop there for smaller household items but not ever again for furniture.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Bought a recliner on 5-6-17, paid in full. Told rep I will pick-up on 5-7-17. Returned to pick-up and was told my purchased had been sold to another person. They tried to make me take the worn display model on floor. No way I take that one at paid priced of 212.00$. Agent responded I can come back next week and get same chair at over 300.00. Why? When I have paid receipt a purchase that belong to me. I will contact the BETTER BUSINESS people as soon as possible for recourse. BIG LOTS salespeople in furniture dept. are poorly trained and unprofessional. This occurs regularly at the WINSTON-SALEM, NC STORE ON UNIVERSITY PARKWAY. STORE# 1013.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We bought a Simmons loveseat recliner from Big Lots in Ephrata, PA. Neither is worth the room they take up. Big Lots didn't want to help with a return of this item and Simmons built a pile of junk. It was ripped from day one and now the recliners won't close properly. I'm not a rich man. This is why I shopped Big Lots but 529.00 for a recliner didn't come easy so I was hoping it would last longer than 6 months. But I guess I got what I paid for.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I purchased a gazebo in the summer of 2016 for $500. When you go to use the zippers they don't work. Because the gazebo is left open the majority of the time when you want to close the screen and be outside in mosquito season you quickly realize their zipper quality is garbage and don't work. I contacted customer service and they sent me out replacement panels for free but the zippers don't work. It's still the cheap fine clothing quality! (I know, I used to sew for many years!) Look at Walmart $200 gazebo with netting and you'll see what a sturdy an outdoor vinyl zipper should be!! I'm now going to order Walmart's 10x12 mosquito netting and use it for my 10x12 Wilson Fischer! Quality scam gazebo. (The overall size should work just fine.)

Big Lots Company Information