1.34/5
Based on 189 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

232 Big Lots Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I would never ever buy any furniture from here again. It was my very first brand new couch. I'm low income and saved forever to just get junk. I bought a sectional sofa and it flakes like crazy. Hardly any leather left. Well if you call it that. If you lie on it you have ** all over your clothes. It's the worst ever. I called them do to it being only a year old and they said, "Sorry. Nothing we can do." Go figure. I wish I could sue them. I feel I was robbed and it will take me another 5 years to save for a new couch if this one even makes it that long. Horrible.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I would like to start out by saying that I am a 51 year old ** male that has the disorder/handicap Tourette syndrome. I went to the local Big Lots store in Holbrook New York to get a few items that I needed. I have been to this store many times before but this time I was a little noisier than usual and my Outburst were a little more pronounced bear in mind. Some outburst could be taken as rude or insensitive to younger individuals or certain races if you know what I mean. The words ** & ** did slip out but never directed at anyone in general.

Again this is part of my handicap amongst many other types of outbursts. I was approached by a heavier-set blond haired female. I think she was a manager.

And was told that I am being asked to leave the store because I'm making some of the customers uncomfortable. Now I understand that some people don't or will not understand my infliction but I'm not here to make friends. I'm here just like anybody else to be a patron and purchase what I need. So I apologized and also explained that I have Tourette's and I'm not here to cause any problems. She persisted with being rude and insensitive to insist that I leave. I explained to her that I have no problem with that but if I wanted I also could call the police have a report written and pursue a lawyer. I think I backed her into a corner because she also said she could call the police. I really wish she did because I would have blown this whole situation out of proportion.

I proceeded on purchasing what I already had in my hands and walked out never to pursue anymore of what just happened. I am insulted and utterly appalled on the lack of education and professionalism of these managers. I will never ever patronize another Big Lots for as long as I live. I wouldn't give them a dime of my hard-earned money. But the funny thing is I definitely make more on my job than this manager makes on hers. And I'm the **? Big Lots Corporation should do a little more background on these managers and employees because it's only showing what kind of Corporation they are by who they hire. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Pertinent Information. Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:20 PM. Register 2. Receipt number **. Barcode Number **. “Loyalty Number” #**. Respectfully, I fully expect nothing to come from this. But I feel that I need to express my distaste for Big Lots Store #0117 and their appalling staff and management. Today I went into the West Ashley Big Lots Store #0117 located at 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd #15, Charleston, SC 29407. I spent 30 minutes walking around the entire store enjoying viewing the new layout, clean aisles, and holiday items available. By the time I was ready to check out there were several long lines where I waited my turn to check out with my Halloween card and cake mix which should have been a total of $5.59.

A very nice customer let me in front of them while they looked at other store items. The cashier struggled to pause the previous customer's transaction for several minutes before she could switch screens. I asked the cashier for a loyalty card, she signed me up. I had a $20 dollar bill in my hand to cash out. She hit the button for card. I corrected her. She stared off into space until I corrected her again. Then I handed her my $20, she shoved my loyalty card in the bag. Handed me my change and a receipt.

After this she slapped her register closed, jumped off of her spot and a ** brunette that appeared in her late thirties early forties jumped on and started taking customers after me. I walked out of the sliding doors, stopped, looked down to put the receipt and I saw that the cashier shorted me a $10 dollar bill. I originally thought that this was going to be a mild annoyance, I turn around, walk back in within less than a literal minute. I walked up to the cashier. She asked what was wrong and I told her she shorted me a $10. She promptly snapped at me “I know I handed you the change.” I held up the four one dollar bill and spare change with receipt. She told me I had to wait her till was cashed out and that I would have to wait for the manager. I told her I would. Waited. Several minutes went by as I watched her complain about other staff members leaving her at the register alone and disappearing on her to other staff standing there.

A few more minutes pass, at this time I am still waiting as she jumps on another register and rings up more customers. I have now witnessed her touch multiple registers, while the other staff is still ringing up customers with cash on the same register I was helped on. The manager then shows up. Between her and the cashier they don’t know how to check the till for the correct numbers. That I will have to wait for the head of the store “**” because the assistant manager has not been trained to run the register. ** arrives after a 10 minute wait, the new cashier is still ringing up cash deals on the register that I was at. ** takes his time coming in watches several people being rung up. Then takes the till to the back. After a few minutes he comes back and basically calls me a liar. The till is .11 cents over.

When I demand my change, he shrugs and stares at the floor. I cursed, call the cashier a thief and incompetent and demand a refund. I toss the bag on the floor furious. I receive a refund for $5.59. I then asked for “**” manager's name which was ** and asked how I was able to get in contact with him. I was simply told 1-800-Big-Lots.

Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:57 PM. Register 2. Receipt number **. Barcode Number **. “Loyalty Number” #**. Sales Associate **. I am not upset only for the $10. I am upset for being told to wait because even the assistant manager didn’t know how to run a register, that staff were still allowed to cash people out on a register that was incorrect, that I was called a liar because the cashier doesn’t know how to give correct change. She couldn’t give me the correct change what didn’t stop her from giving another customer before or after me a $10 dollar bill over their receipt and I was the one affected. I have worked as a cashier for many years. It is always required to count a fresh till when a shift change occurs. It is ridiculous that this is not a policy at Big Lots

As soon I left in tears, I called the 1 800 number. Explained my story. The lady on the line apologized and said she would send my message to the correct parties, this is a follow up to that incident which my reference number is **. Personally all I want is a check for my $10.00 back. Not a gift card, no coupons just a check for my $10. This has ruined my Sunday. Ruined ever going back into a Big Lots. If you look at the cameras of the registers and the storefront of Big Lots #0117 you will see the exact events happen between the time of Sunday 10/14/18 at 12:20 PM and 12:57 PM. I just want my $10 back, I am very disappointed in the way this was handled and the incompetence and rude behavior of the entire staff. This should be put on ** and the cashier’s record.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Please do not buy furniture from Big Lots. I bought Simmons and regret it. My 3 piece is peeling within 2 years. I was told to pay for parts, shipping and hire someone to repair. This is wrong in so many ways.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Do not buy this set from here. As a matter of fact, don't buy ANY furniture from here! I should have returned this to the store but I'm disabled & didn't have a way to transport it back. The arms of the sofa are junk, be sure to push on them... no batting, just wood! The cushions are made horribly. They're flat after 2 months. Idk who builds this garbage but someone needs to sue them. They intentionally build JUNK! I bought the warranty & am waiting on a gift card to replace my junk couch. The thing is... they only have more expensive junk! Am so pissed! Idk who is leaving all these good reviews... people who buy the furniture only to look at & not use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

2 days before I was going to pick up my furniture priced over 1100.00 total... I received a coupon for 100.00 off 600.00 or more, I took the coupon with me when I went in to pick my stuff up, I was told by Todd he "Store Manager." He would not accept the coupon because I already paid for my stuff. Todd started to get loud and told me it states not honored on previous sales. I was told by the sales person when it they will honor any sale price that may happen if it is within 30 days. Todd continued to refuse and told me if I do not like then he will give me my money back, so Todd lost the 1100.00 sale. Nice management skills Todd. You real need to find a new job you cannot yell at customers and expect them to want to do business with your store... Big Lots will not last long with staff like Todd. Last thing Todd kept refusing to give me any phone numbers of district manager or Corporate office to contact.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We spent 1,270.78 on a sectional and ottoman and recliner combo. We purchased the three year coverage for 100$. We have been trying to file a claim to get a small rip in the couch fixed which should be covered. Went online and tried to file a claim numerous times and will not allow you to. Attempted to call and file claim. Been on hold for over 20 mins with no one answering the phone. I feel we were scammed out of 100$.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I purchased a blue pop up tent for an event this summer and the tent was broke. The metal piece to hold the tent up was broke. So we had rig it. Ok so thinking maybe I just got a bad one I bought another one white this time. Well it was broke too. Like WTF. Never again. 140$ all together. They have lost my business and I used to love shopping there. No more. That's the last $140 they will get from me.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We have been frequent and loyal customers to the Big Lots in Winter Haven FL. In the last year or more customer service has gotten terrible and practically nonexistent. We had made numerous attempts to the store in attempts to pick up items laid away but EVERY time there was NO assistance in the furniture department. We would go to Store’s Customer Service Counter and they would call for assistance. We waited 30 minutes to an hour each time and we would eventually would leave without it. It was a big problem but the depth of which was recently revealed when we attempted to pick up our paid off layaway purchases for furniture on 7/24/2018. We waited for 20 minutes then finally found a store associate to page someone. It took another 15 for an employee to show up. Then We were told that the records for mine were ‘purged’ and that my daughter's were delivered (Not to us).

They can’t release information about the delivery which seems awfully shady! The associate then called for a MGR (Lorie) who could offer no assistance nor apology. She told us our only recourse was to contact corporate. Upon doing so we were told it has to go through store manager who has yet to return any calls. Neither end will help us which amounts to close to $2000 in losses. Do not put items on layaway at this location! I have stopped shopping there because you can’t even get through register in under 30 minutes. This store is in serious need of corporate intervention and removal of all Management at this location immediately!

Original review: June 30, 2018

I ordered my first sofa and loveseat which was a Simmons brand and it felt like I was sitting on a pancake. Simmons replaced the furniture and my boyfriend and I have developed a cough. And the furniture is flat as a pancake. Today I took the stuffing out of the furniture and it's actually composed of recycled garbage. Look at the pictures. Is this legal for a company to do this with furniture?

Original review: June 8, 2018

Went to the store in Union City carrying my backpack and handbag. Person in charge with attitude said, "You know you going to be searched before leaving." Asked the cashier if she spoke Spanish to translate to me. I don't speak Spanish. Never felt humiliated in my life. Will never go there again.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Tried to cancel an order 2 hours after I ordered it. They emailed me the next day saying it was too late. I asked about returning it, without exaggerating I was on the phone over 40 min. I finally got a return authorization email I could print out. It didn't work. Called again. This one worked. Now I find out that I have to pay shipping plus a 20% restocking fee. I buy everything online and this is the worst service and policy I've yet to see. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL NOT BE SHOPPING BIG LOTS EVER.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Wilson & Fisher patio furniture - Purchased a 6-piece Pinehurst collection and I am having issues with the wicker becoming so brittle it is crumbling apart. I store it in my garage during the winter and after two season all the wicker around the coffee table is just crumbling apart. On top of that, the straps on the seat frame for the couch and two chairs have stretched so much you sink to the ground. I have called Big Lots corporate and can't get anywhere and have also called the store I purchased it at. They are of no help.

I purchased two of these sets, one for me and one as a housewarming gift for my daughter. We both also have the same brand in the swivel chairs and have had no issues with this set and it is 6 yrs old. I used to recommend the patio furniture from Big Lots to everyone. I will never do this again since they couldn't even check into getting me new frames for the couch or chairs. My only option is to literally throw the entire set away as there is no way they can be used without new frames.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Big Lots does not have enough sale products on hand. They ran out of Diet Coke in a day and a 1/2 and will not have any more product for 5 days and the sale is over in 6 days. They do not offer a rain check so it is highly unlikely that I will be able to buy the Diet Coke I need in time.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Wilson & Fisher Patio Furniture - Bought an entire set from Big Lots last spring. I even bought chair covers to protect them from the elements when not in use. Even with that, the "wicker" has become brittle and is breaking into little pieces exposing the metal wire frame. I don't know if this is how all "weather wicker" products handle the heat, but I think I will look for metal patio furniture and just change the cushions as needed.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a sofa and loveseat set from Big Lots six months ago. Within 3 months, the sofa was beginning to come apart in 3 different places. I have a warranty, and was told it covers the fabric covering, but that I would have to pay to have it repaired! Now 6 months later there are holes in my sofa and I'm out $600+! Do NOT BUY THEIR SOFAS! The price is cheap because the quality is cheap. Keep your money!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Over 2 weeks ago, I purchased 2 storage beds from Big Lots. I transported the begs home in my SUV. I decided to put the beds together the next day, not realizing they were infested with BED BUGS!!! I took the first bed from the box and as we were pulling the wood apart bed bugs began crawling up my walls! I contacted Big Lots and they tried to blow me off at first, but later agreed to send their delivery man to pick the beds up. I was issued a refund, but my apartment and my vehicle are bed bug infested! I've tried contacting corporate, but have not been contacted. I feel that I should be compensated but Big Lots is showing my family and I no consideration! Big Lots has lost my business indefinitely! I have been spraying my apartment for over 2 weeks now, but the infestation continues. My life has been turned upside down because this situation has been so stressful! What if this was YOUR family??!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Today, I purchased a Simmons recliner from our local Big Lots. The chair was in a box. Unpacked it at home and the wooden back support was broken & split the entire length. It was also hastily "repaired" with about 100+ staples. Where the bottom of the chair attaches to the metal mechanism, another board was broken, right where the screws are. Looked nice on the display floor, but not nice at all when it's broken BEFORE anyone even sat on it. Taking it back to the store now. Piece of garbage, don't waste your money at that store. This is the LAST time I set foot in any Big Lots, what a rip-off.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased a Gazebo and you can't return the products so you have to file a warranty claim. File the claim and of course the warranty was denied stating because of weather related issues. $400 gone down the drain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I bought a faux leather Sectional and 2 recliners that started shedding and peeling 2nd year after purchase. Should have done my research before purchasing to find many had same problem. My furniture was used in my den and lightly used at that. If you contact the company, you'll receive a generic apology. Only recourse is to purchase replacement (generic) material from them plus shipping and you have to hire a technician to repair at a cost to you for their faulty materials. Do not buy. Because of my experience with this I will never buy a 'Simmons' product.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

On November 24, 2017 I purchased a Polaroid speaker wireless Bluetooth speaker listed at $25 for $15 on sale. I used it once. The next day it stopped working. I returned it December 24 with the receipt that stated return will be accepted until January 15, 2018. The store had the same speaker in a box that I asked to exchange it for. Instead of an even swap, the manager said I would have to pay an extra $10 because it was no longer on sale. I then asked for a refund and bought a better speaker at Walmart for $59.99. Big Lots just lost a customer. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Purchased a new set of furniture from Big Lots... within first week the couch broke. A loud pop noise and a spring. Flew out... They asked me to bring it back and get a new one which I did. This one runs and snags like crazy. I have so many runs it's ridiculous... cushions look smooshed and this within the first 6 months. I have had it about a year. I'm just so upset by it because for a family of six money was saved for our new furniture. I would never buy this set of furniture again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I bought a couch at Big Lots advertised as Ashley Furniture. This is the worst Quality Furniture that I have ever owned. I was told that during the Progressive Financing would help my credit. It was never reported to the credit agency and when I complained about it they told me, "Oh I don't know who told you that". Also the material on the couch gets runs and snags from nothing. The cushions were flat within less than 6 months. Also the frame separated from the springs and it is extremely uncomfortable. There is a guarantee on the furniture but the guarantee says you have to send the furniture back to the company. You know how much it would cost to send couches back to the manufacturer sure. I am thoroughly disappointed and I paid a lot of money for these couches. $1,200 to try and improve my credit. This didn't work and I am very angry. Don't buy furniture from Big Lots!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

One star because you can't do zero stars, I purchased a Simmons Top Gun Sectional Couch set and it broke (springs on two sections) in less than six months. I contacted the Simmons company and Big Lots customer service, Simmons never responded at all, Big Lots only responded after canceling the charge on my CC for the entire purchase. After a month or so of a serious runaround with Big Lots Customer service they wanted me to return the damaged couch to the store (over 200.00) to deliver. Now I was being asked to pay again to return a sectional couch!!! I paid 300 to have the crappy couch fixed and would NEVER buy a Simmons product again and I will NEVER buy anything of value more than a trinket from Big Lots! BOTH Companies Suck and the products are junk.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was denied a cancel request online because it had been "more than 10 minutes since the order was placed." I called 14 min. after I placed the order and realized that another store had it for half the price. I asked for a cancellation of shipment and they would rather ship the item, charge me, have me return the item or decline it when it arrives (as if everyone is home when they deliver) and then return the item for a credit. This is ridiculous. Amazon, Walmart, Target, Kmart, Wayfair, Birch Lane, none of these companies have such bad service as this. I will never buy online from Big Lots again. This is terrible customer service because of their antiquated system.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

About a year ago I bought a sofa, lounger. Within 6 mos it began to sag. It was only $500, but I began to get bites on my back. I've sprayed and sprayed and still after a couple of days, more bites. Well I've been using my lounge chair and not the couch, NO BITES. Whats with that?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I bought a couch and love seat from Big Lots a year ago. At the same time I bought a mattress and box spring. They are so uncomfortable that we really dislike both of them. You can't lay on the couch, don't use the love seat at all. We both fight over my husband's recliner, most comfortable item in the living room. The mattress and box spring... we both have aching backs. We have bought furniture from here before, but this was a total disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

The dogs treat's made my dog Teddy sick. I have found bones hair and something black in the bags. It was a waste of my money. I can't believe all the dog food, all the noise about dog food factories killing dogs and making food out of them and you decide to send a treat for our dogs to be made in China. I am very unhappy this is ridiculous. Whoever decided to do that should have to eat it their self because you know darn well it's not chicken and I'm going to post this as far and wide as I can because this has got to stop.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought a reclining cuddle chair there and it ripped only a few months after I purchased it. Tried to make a complaint but manager there said there is nothing he can do! 300.00 down the drain. I noticed they have the exact same chair in there again and it's ripped in the same spot as mine! Some people should not be in business!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I purchased a couch from Big Lots and the spring broke on the 48th day. From the reviews I read getting any help with this would be pointless! But to my surprise the manager in the Tiffin OH store (Kim) took care of everything quickly and with absolutely stress free! Just like that I have a new replacement sitting in my living room. I'm very impressed and hope that any and all problems can be solved that easily and stress free! I'm absolutely amazed! Thank you Kim and everyone who helped to fix my unfortunate problem at Big Lots. Completely satisfied in Tiffin Ohio.

Big Lots Company Information