2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (371 ratings)

About Big Lots

Big Lots Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: April 16, 2020

Please be aware. If you are under special promotional financing your expiration date is not your due date as it is for other credit cards. I was charged almost $200 in interest after I paid off my promotional balance (the only thing I had ever charged to the card) on my due date because my promotional date expired 2 weeks before payment due date. Pay special attention to fine print.

Original review: March 27, 2020

On March 24, 2020, I bought the above referenced product from Big Lots Store #1780. Item worked for 2 DAYS ONLY. Tried to exchange on March 27, 2020. And was told: “NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES. Until further notice when you may return, exchange, or..."

Original review: March 25, 2020

Big Lots furniture in most cases is seconds. That is no place to buy furniture. In fact I try to stay away from the company completely after I saw the many complaints about them. The furniture is not well constructed and in most cases is leather look alike.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Beware of buying furniture from Big Lots. We found out the hard way. Do not make the same mistake we did and buy any furniture from them. Big lots does not stand behind the furniture they sell. Neither does the company that they buy their furniture from. The delivery service that they set up their customers with does not stand behind their service.

I am going to start in the middle of the story because it only makes big lots look worse. We purchased a recliner from big lots and they arranged to have it delivered to us the next day. We had no contact with the delivery service until they arrived. Big lots made all the arrangements. When the chair came out of the box upon delivery, 3 screws were missing from the bottom of the recliner. The delivery company found 2 of the screws and put them back in the chair. They got 1 screw they had in their truck and put it in. They called the store manager at big lots and had her on speaker phone and explained the whole situation with the chair. They told her we would be calling back more than likely. She was rude and said, "I bet they will." As soon as they left we did call the store manager and tell her we could not accept this chair. She argued with me and said they did not know if they would take care of the return and redelivery.

I called their corporate office the next day to complain and they said it would be taken care of. About an hour later I got a call from the manager and she changed her story and said they would pick it up. It took 2 weeks for that to happen. About 2 days later we saw that the chair had put 2 gouges and a long scratch on our laminate floor. We were later to find out that the chair had been dropped on the side that had the damage and the metal frame of the chair did the damage to the floor when the delivery people tried to close the chair after seeing if the screws were holding. They took a video of it and it shows exactly how it happened with the metal frame of chair rubbing floor. We filed a claim with big lots for the lowest estimate which was $3130.00.

The furniture manufacturer said big lots would pay the claim not them because big lots dropped it and that is how it got damaged. They said big lots should of never tried to force us to take the chair. It should of been brought back immediately. Big lots said they would not pay the claim, we needed to go after the delivery company they set up all their furniture deliveries in our area with. The delivery company is saying big lots is at fault. The store manager was always in control and the blame lies with big lots. We have had to pay thousands of dollars out of our pocket to replace the floor. Please dont make the same mistake we did. Big lots is self insured and they will not stand behind what they sell. Neither will they stand behind the delivery service they set up for you. The manufacturer of the furniture will not either. Beware.

JS

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was looking for new curtains. I had a certain style and color in mind. I had shopped online and was now checking local stores. Luckily, I went to Ollie's before Big Lots. Ollie's had good quality curtain panels for $10.00, Waverly and others. Big Lots had brands I did not recognize for $25. Ollie's sheers were $6.99. Of course, I bought them. Big Lots? $10. I noticed Big Lots lovely Broyhill sectional sofa when I walked in but I also noticed a coffee table with the set that severely needed dusting.

Of course, the shelves in Big Lots contain many types of items. They are crowded together, not neatly arranged as you would see in a large chain store be it department store or grocery store. Both Ollie's and Big Lots are selling closeout items. But Big Lots suddenly thinks that it is an upscale department store. The problem with this is the dusty coffee table and, on another occasion, the things that I asked the store worker for that they don't carry as would be done in normal chain stores. They only carry what you have been able to buy as closeout lots.

Back to the prices. I looked at my brand of cat food at Big Lots. It was as much as any major grocery store, more than some. It is not as if their store is well decorated and carrying designer products. They usually don't. Of course, you will find Broyhill Naples collection furniture at Big Lots but if you go to Broyhill and click on it, it will lead you back to Big Lots. They are the only sellers of this collection. Does this mean that this is a bad collection? Certainly not but it means that this Broyhill is a closeout lot or a super low priced set from Broyhill sold only to Big Lots. Big Lots Google listed states "Big Lots! Live BIG. Save LOTS." That is completely untrue. Overall, Big Lot's is pretty much a cheap store now trying to masquerade as an expensive department store. I will not shop at Big Lots again but I will keep checking back with Ollie's. I have gotten some really amazing deals on quality products at Ollie's.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Order online. Package came with missing item not in package. Emailed customer service twice with no response. Then chatted with someone over the computer who blatantly lied and told me my item would arrive on Friday. Come friday, no package. Emailed them once again and by this time the product I ordered was out of stock. Seriously, Big Lots thanks for absolutely nothing, other than wasting my time. Buyer Beware, they don't care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Overall, I love shopping in Big Lots but... the Aston, PA store male manager Keith is very ill mannered and off putting in the way he handles his customers. While shopping I saw signs that said extra 20 percent off posted in the store. A friendly freight manager stocking shelves, Jayme asked if we needed assistance. We inquired about the sign as did a few other customers. She said since the signs are up we should get the discount and to let them know up front she said it was alright. Well... Keith turned a question about a discount into a situation then escalated it to where I was now upset enough to change my 5 star review to a 1 star. He yelled when I told him she said it was ok. He said loudly and abruptly, "I am above her, I am not giving it to you. I extended the discount for the last three days in this store, and I am not giving it to you today."

The cashier kept telling me she was sorry. She should not have to apologize for her boss. I don't deserve to be treated in such a way. I worked in customer relations for a long time and I know you don't treat customers in this manner. Whatever happened to customer service training??? Does this corporation not teach this to employees or even care? Maybe not for the Aston, PA store. Be wary if you go in there.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Even though they had a floor model available, I had to place a special order on a sofa that I wanted to buy. The store employee goofed and ordered the wrong item from manufacturer and I had to wait 45 days to get my sofa. In the end, the quality was not good and sofa is very uncomfortable. I will not ever buy from this store again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I started shopping at Big Lots more than 10 years ago. Once upon a time, you could happen upon unique/high end brands of beauty products like shampoos, treatments and conditioner. That doesn't happen anymore. Also, I am sad to report that Big Lots doesn't seem to embrace the whole 'savings' idea anymore. There are MANY items I have gone there to look for only to discover I'd literally pay the exact amount at BL as I would at my usual store. The difference is I don't have to go out of my way to go to my usual store. What's the point of making a stop at BL when there's no savings?? I've written into customer service for the store and {hold onto your seats} I got no response whatsoever. I'm pretty disappointed in what they've become and doubt I'll shop here more than a few times a year, because I'm only doing that if I have to.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

They generally have a good selection of name brand furniture. The prices are very reasonable and they have dedicated personnel that work the furniture department, only. The only down side to shopping here is they DO NOT deliver and the furniture requires assembly.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

In the past Big Lots had good pricing and a good value to shop. Past few years they have significantly increase price to a point of not being competitive on many items, especially with household items. Better to go to Dollartree or General Dollar. Shop with caution.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I got Big Lots Recliner, did not last one year. Chair Breaks two years in, leather rips from sitting in it. Waste of money. Chair falling apart. Made in China, cheap made, cheap build, Breaks easy. Beware where you buy furniture.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

We bought a new couch from big lots. Only had it for a few months and was defeated. Replaced the defeated one. Only to find out that to was defeated also. Bough the extra warranty just in case. So we upgraded to a couch and love seat. We paid extra for that warranty. Needless to say we did not get a full refund on the first one. We paid a lot for the upgrade, we will never buy any furniture from here again. Their customer service is not the greatest. Just a warning to the customer. Guess you get what you paid for.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Feb I joined Progressive Debt Relief. At the time I owed Big Lots about $1,100. Aug I found out that the company was taking money from my account that wasn't being paid on my bills.THEY WOULD TELL ME THAT THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING. I paid them around $1400 all together. They paid 1 bill for $450.00 and that's all. When I found out, I called them and told them that I trusted them, and they let me down. I told them that I no longer want their service. So I Contacted every collector and explained what happened. I start paying $25.00 on all of my debt. I paid Big Lots also. So far 50.00. I had another payment for them, now I find out that Midland Credit was handling my payment. But I ask where did the 50.00 payment go to since it's not on my bal..I never got a straight answer.

I was charged added fees for non payment, which I didn't know they weren't being paid. I asked them to waive those Charges, but I got nothing but a bunch of fast talking. If I pay 52.00 a month for 48 months. Then 30.00 for 60 months. I feel that I am being Railroaded. Everybody else took those charges off of me because they knew that I paid my bills all the time. Now I found out that my Credit had dropped to 450. Before then I had good Credit. It ran my pressure up. I told the gentleman with Midland that I can only pay 25.00 a month. I am a Senior on fixed income. But he tried to get hot headed with me. That Debt Consolidation gave me $375.00 back, and said that was all they could do. I accepted it because I needed it. They kept about $600.00 for their fees. I would appreciate if you could help me with this matter. I too feel that Midland need to show me where my 50.00 went to. And why is my balance this high. Their Info is 350 Camino De La Reina Suite 100 San Diego, CA 92108 877-452-7695. Please Help me if you can with this situation.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We had attempted to purchase 2 beds, neither of which were to satisfaction. The first was to be a full size but the computer would continually order a queen size. A manager finally had to figure out that it only came in a queen size. The second bed, when it finally arrived only included the box springs and mattress. When we ordered it, we spelled out this frame, headboard, this mattress, etc. We assumed it was correct. Big disappointment!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I had a rewards card from this nightmare company. They sent me a email for $5 off $15, online or in store. Therefore I shopped online & picked up my items the following day. Upon checkout the cashier said they could not take the $5 off because it was done online. Why send me a email saying IN STORE or ONLINE? I called corporate & said there was a "glitch" in the system & would give me a $20 store credit. So the next day I went to the store in Cleona, Pa & told the cashier before I started shopping I had a $20 credit & he said as long as I know the code it will work. I spent a hour shopping there & after everything was totaled he said their code does not work. Ok now I am really upset. 2 times there & the store or corporate does not know how to apply their promo codes. Thanks for wasting many hours of my time.

Also almost 1/2 the items in this store have no prices on them. I asked to talk w/ the manager, a idiot named Jo. I asked for his last name & he would not give it to me & threw me out of the store for asking for his name. STAY AWAY from this nightmare store. Go to Dollar Tree or Walmart. Nothing but frustration & headaches locally & at corporate. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Bought sofa and love seat and recliner. Purchased warranty and was told in store items were completely covered. Not a word was said about normal wear and tear. Recliner seams came apart. Also sofa seams came apart. Complete waste of warranty $$$$. Furniture is for daily use not just to look pretty. Store was told about 7 grandkids in and out. They said no problem. Covered.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

We bought Big Lots standard brown sofa and love seat 3 years ago and we never use it. However, the fake leather look disintegrated and is flaking off after only 3 years of just looking at it in a spare living room. Do not buy!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The woman who attended me said: the box is damage but the item is in good condition. But arriving at home I noticed that this item is unserviceable. The metal is twisted, the screws were everywhere in the box.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

We went to Big Lots to purchase HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in hurricane supplies for a retirement community. We asked if they could provide any sort of senior citizen discount being that we were paying cash for nearly $1000 worth of supplies. The manager said he wouldn’t even ask unless we spent $10k and stated seniors aren’t on their list of “charities.” Ok... I can take no for an answer. But then he FOLLOWED US TO THE PARKING LOT AND ASKED TO SEE OUR RECEIPT as if he thought we were stealing something. All I can say is WOW. What an **.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Went there to purchase a patio furniture cover. I found the only one in the store and brought it to the front counter. The sales lady was pleasant and said that the price was not what was in the ad. She called the manager to the front and told him that the cover was not ringing up correctly. He checked the entire package and saw the the only difference was the ad stated “heavy duty“. I told him that it was the only one in the store. He then stated “that’s not the right one and that’s the price!” I left the store insulted! I don’t think they need my business anymore!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Literally had this Grander recliner loveseat delivered 40 minutes ago. Sat down to take a nap and it does not go all the way back. Got up and the leg rest doesn’t close ‘cause it’s hitting on something underneath. Called Big Lots on Kent island where I bought it for $800 and they said they couldn’t help me unless I can deliver it back to them which I have no way of doing!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

HORRIFIC quality furniture. BUYER BEWARE! DO NOT PURCHASE ANY FURNITURE FROM THESE SCAMMERS! Serta queen went to absolute crap in 2 months. Foundation squeaks and groans and is about to fall apart. We roll in to each other on the mattress and have to climb out of the hole we get stuck in. We now have chronic back pain and have to use the non pillow top side of mattress. Sofa is garbage. Within a few months the cushions were flat. We now sit on wood frame and while thing squeaks and moans with sounds of wood breaking. Same with recliner. THESE SCAMMERS NEED TO HAVE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM AND BE BANNED FROM SELLING THIS ABSOLUTE CRAP!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I'm almost up with my 90 days, I purchased 900.00, I owe 140. What I don't agree with is that all the money I have already paid is of no use, cause they still charge interest on the full amount and not on the balance owed. Is this legal? It says balance paid off by May 27th but I get paid on the 30th. Is there a grace period?

Original review: May 19, 2019

When I purchased this mattress I saved my money because I wanted to buy a good mattress. So I did my research and went to different places and checked the prices and checked the firmness of them. I wanted a Serta sleeper. I decided on Big Lots. I purchased the mattress and box spring for about $850.00. I got the mattress home and couldn't wait to get to bed that night. All night I kept climbing out of this hole. I took the bed apart thinking that maybe the frame might have not been put together correctly.

Again I'm climbing out of this hole. I called Big Lots and I was told that it takes time to get use to a new bed. Well it's a year and a half later and I have had a platform built under the bed and still I'm climbing up out of this hole. I'm convinced that this is a refurbished mattress. Normally you have to break in a mattress but this mattress was already broken in and that should be against the law. Now I have to purchase another mattress because now I have back problems.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was a regular consumer who works buy the healthy cereals in the cereal aisle and other stuff. Gradually, the store in Reisterstown, MD stopped carrying food healthy cereals for junk high sugar crap. I asked the manager when they will get the cereal in that I like. He told me he had no idea and then I demanded the phone number for corporate to file a complaint about the products they no longer carry. The only thing worth my money there is bread and a few other things, but soon I will stop shopping there, as I spend 500 a month there. Store - Reisterstown MD. Cashier who was an illegal had no idea what she was doing.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I was surprised at the fashionable items available at the sturdy. Most of the furniture, especially the couches and beds, looked and felt sturdy. They also had nice office furniture and accessories like pillows and mattress toppers.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I chose Big Lots to get my couch set because they had it in stock and it was inexpensive. And I was very happy with the variety of styles, color and material that was offered. The sales associates were very helpful in finding the product we wanted.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Great selection of recliners, overstuffed, extra wide, choices of fabric and prices were reasonable. Items are displayed together and staff is very helpful with questions about options for paying and deliveries.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I ordered a wall decor online and found it weird I never received an email confirmation. That was 2 weeks ago. I called customer service to inquire and told them I never received an email confirmation as ALL merchants send out. He said without order number he can't check. Then he asks for my email, so I give it to him and there's no record of me, yet my credit card was charged 2 weeks ago. Big scam I'm thinking online. Not send confirmation email then say they can't help you because you don't have it.

Big Lots Company Information