3.7/5 (160 ratings)

About Big Lots

Big Lots Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Well they were very helpful in every way possible. What I mean was no matter when or what time I go in there someone is always asking, "May I help you." Sometimes 3 or 4 person. It doesn't bother me cause I see someone notice I am in there.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I have been to the Big Lots on Cortana 15 different times to buy a couch. There has been some issue with it every time. I have been waiting for the couch for a month. I finally ordered the couch and it was delivered the next day only to find it was the wrong couch. When we went back for the right couch the discounted amount was wrong. It was a floor model so it was disgusting and there was a burn mark. I have never been so mad at a store before or even had this many issues. I do not recommend ever going to big lots. Go to Ashley Furniture for furniture or go to a cheap store for food.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

The Gazebo was easy to set up and looked so pretty. But a couple rainstorms and it rusted, broke apart and was falling over. Horribly cheap!!! It should have lasted more than 6 months and it was a waste of 500.00. The Store was no help in Ocean Twp NJ. Do not buy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

My name is Linda and I am a Big Lots customers. I purchase two recliners from your Big lots store in fort Worth Texas. One of the chairs was delivered soiled, worn, and used. With the pandemic in place I would think Big lots a trusted company would have policies and procedures in place to prevent this from happening.

I did contact the store and also called your customer complaint line. The chair has been in my home for 2 weeks now with no resolution. I eventually spoke with the store manager. These chairs are still at my home. He showed no remorse, never said an apology for this happening to me and my family and putting us at risk. Are there procedures in place with Big lots to ensure this does not happen to customers? The pandemic is still going on. I just lost my mother on November the 3rd 2021 from covid 19. Why put families at risk? Unbelievable!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I just made an order on their website by mistake. I started a refund claim but they reply saying that I will have to return the order after its shipment. They have not ship the order yet and they say they cannot cancel it!!! Never saw such a hassle to cancel an order I just made.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

This company claimed to offer better deals than the big name department stores. Their Black Friday was 50% less than their competitors. They simply did not have the supply to do ANY Black Friday sales period! They allowed items to be shipped out of your cart. I thought I scored a great deal. I purchased over $80 worth of toys and paid $40. Boy was I wrong. When I checked online to see if my order had shipped; I noticed that my ENTIRE order had been canceled. No email notification or anything. I paid with a Big Lots gift card. Was the money refunded back onto the card? NOPE. There apparently were A LOT of consumers with the same complaint. I will NEVER shop at this store ever again. What a waste of time and money!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I placed an order for my kid's Christmas candy & half the order was canceled. Plus, on top of that, I didn't get one of my packages from them. Something that should have been fun has turned out to be stressful. I should have just shopped at Target.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I ordered some items online and when I got to the checkout it would not allow me to checkout. Tried entering different zip codes for different stores as it prompted me to for whatever reason. Finally called support and they informed me that most of the times when checkout does not work it is because the items are not in stock. And I asked her why then it shows on the website they are in stock, and she said their system is not updated to match what is on the website to match what is available to ship. I thought that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why should you mislead your online customers to buy what you don't even have? Do not buy online, waste of time!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Please do yourself a favor and do not buy furniture through Big Lots. For $700 after tax and a protection plan added, and driving 2 hours round trip to a store that actually had one in stock, I expected the dresser I bought to meet a minimum quality standard. It did not. Issues:

-The legs are made out of some sort of sorry cheap wood - not nice hardwood, not metal, not even ABS plastic - nothing that can handle the weight of the dresser. One of them split apart while we were tightening the leg to the bottom! Come to realize it was because there was a giant knot in the wood piece! Had to do a quick glue together, tape for stability, drive the end farther into the wood and go to town to find longer screws....another unnecessary added cost. When we finally got them on, the legs could not even handle the weight of the dresser to be tipped over and another leg started to bust out! We had to manhandle it to lean on the bed and then drop it as straight down as we could on the legs. I don't have high hopes that the legs will remain steady - figure at some point I'll awake to a crash in the middle of the night from it collapsing.

- There are defects in the veneer on the front. Two places I could see where it's warped, and nicks here and there. Not happy about that.

- There was tape all over the inside of the drawers, I guess from where they were cutting and didn't want the cheap pressed wood to rip but I'm honestly not sure. Material also isn't steady - there's definitely give in the bottom.

- On the bottom (your) lefthand drawer, there is some sort of paper catching on the inside of the dresser. Guess someone forgot it while it was being assembled. No way to get it out, the bottom is closed in and I can't reach it from inside the dresser.... irritating, to say the least.

- Some drawers do not sit flush with the face of the dresser. I didn't buy this thing sight unseen - I went and looked at one before I bought it. No issues with the floor model, but of course there are with mine.

- Their online service incorrectly indicated that the store I picked the unit up from had 0 in stock. Because of that, I could not order online and receive a 15% discount.

I tried calling customer service to no avail. Sent an email detailing the above, making it clear that the packaging was already ripped up beyond use when I got home with it and I couldn't use it to return. Asked for the 15% discount I should have been able to receive at the bare minimum. 2The "customer service" representative responded with a copied/pasted message about returns and issued me a 20% off coupon for my next purchase. She could not even be bothered to read my message about the packaging materials or to try to get replacement legs for me at least. Some of the sorriest customer service I've had the displeasure of experiencing.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I purchased some furniture and my card was charged for that purchase. Then the next day I was charged again. I called and they said that the first one is just a pre-authorization and it will be released in 3-5 days. They wiped out my account. Now it's negative. The person I spoke to was rude and didn't care. How is it that they take money the same day but I have to wait for it to be put back. It doesn't make sense to me that the first charge is just a pre-authorized amount and then they just take more when the stuff is delivered. I want my money back and will file a dispute with my back as fraud. I will never buy anything from them again and be aware do not order anything unless you have extra money. They can just hold for however long.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My husband bought a bed frame from Big Lots and it was infested with bed bugs. I took pictures of the skins and eggs and live ones crawling around. Called an exterminator and he said it very well came from this bed frame because of the amount of infestation in the frame itself and due to the fact that it was the only new thing brought into the house. We hadn't traveled anywhere and we hadn't had any company come over and spend the night or even visit. We just moved to this area and we don't know anybody. Now they want to take 30 to 60 days to do a total investigation before they render their decision on helping us with fumigation and the replacement of the box spring and mattress that we had to throw away and the reimbursement of the bed frame.

So now my husband, my grandson and myself are all sleeping in the living room with our bedroom doors taped off hoping and praying that they don't crawl through the walls and migrate out into the living room where we're at because then our house will become uninhabitable. Right now we're living just off my husband's disability because I recently had back surgery and we cannot afford this extermination process. Very disappointed in you Big Lots.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Wanted to purchase a recliner. Showed not in store. Tried to order online. Went to purchase and it said unable to complete. Card denied. There was more than enough money in my account. Tried again. Same thing. Tried a third time. Another notice that transaction not accepted. Guess what? Even though "transaction unable to complete", they DID process the initial $311 and THEN proceeded to wipe out my checking/debit account!!! Called BG customer service. Said transaction didn't go through but to allow at least 10 days for the funds they held to be released. WHAT? You wipe out my account for not only the initial $311 but take out everything from my account on transactions not approved, but I am to wait DAYS, over a week..to get MY money back. This is NOT right. This is clearly an unfair and unjust practice.

I called my bank but can't dispute because its pending charges that has frozen my money. Meanwhile, BG is making money/interest on my money wrongfully taken. I WILL be taking this matter to court. You can't wipe out someone bank account for days and expect them to live. I have bills due. I need groceries. But I can't buy because Big Lots. I will also file complaint with Attorney General and BBB. DON'T DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THESE FRAUDULENT CONARTISTS!!! (5 DAYS LATER...MONEY STILL BEING HELD BY BIG LOTS)

Original review: July 21, 2021

I have bought 5 pieces of furniture from Bog Lots and sadly ALL of them had a defect in some way! Their furniture is garbage and will never buy anything again! I recently bought a $129 rollaway bed and it broke down in 3 days!!!! The only good experience I had was buying with Progressive leasing. I’m sure I will buy other things at Big Lots but definitely NOT their furniture.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I looked at all the horrible experience before purchasing a mattress. & I still went to order a $800 mattress. First off the customer service sucks. Not only they took forever to ship my mattress out. It arrived drenched in I don’t know what. It wasn’t raining. & the entire side was black like it was rolled to my house from the warehouse. I wasn’t mad at Big Lots knowing it wasn’t their fault. It was the warehouse but when I called to explain that it didn’t just arrive in dirt & mud they also took my mattress instead of leaving it so I can sleep on it! The new mattress was disgusting & destroyed. I called like 5 customer service representative none cared that I didn’t have a bed to sleep on. It's going on 2 weeks. Still waiting on the replacement...This is a Joke! NEVER AGAIN. I’m so happy I tested this out with my bed only. Definitely buying my kid's bed & guest room bed SOMEWHERE else.

Original review: April 12, 2021

We went after 2 weeks and ask the associate the status on our furniture and she was very rude!! She was yelling at my husband in front of other customers just because he ask her if it was back yet. She was very rude and unprofessional!!! We will never buy from this Big Lots again. This was the Big Lots store #5417.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I made a purchase at my local Big Lots for a mattress to pick up along with some other items. Half of the items were not available so half were being shipped and another half I had to pick up. When my order was marked as ready to be picked up, I drove there to get it. The clerk in the furniture section came out and loaded the mattress along with some pictures on my vehicle. I was parked right at the front door. My boyfriend went in to buy rope and went past a employee saying, "Her card didn't go through" and they started panicking and ran outside.

The clerk then addressed me differently agitated and told me he had to get everything off my vehicle. My payment didn't go through. I was dumbfounded. I asked why. He said I needed to go discuss it with my bank. He made sure there was other employees standing out there watching as he got the stuff off my car. This was embarrassing and the fact that when it said my bed my ready, I threw away my old mattress. So I went home and called my bank, guess what? The payment was on hold. I then accessed Big Lots online help chat and they told me not to worry that the money would be refunded within 2 to three business days. I didn't want to go without a bed so four day later I bought a cheaper bed from somewhere else.

Ten days later I check my account and it says my items are ready to be picked up still. I was furious. I again accessed chat who then gave me a case number. I believe I waited a whole 15 days to receive 1000 dollars back into my account. This is not right. I always loved shopping at Big Lots but I felt so downgraded and like my issue didn't matter. I just wanted this to be out there. They need a new process in ordering furniture. I would not have thrown my bed out if it wasn't ready and the fact that my payment did go through and I was treated like that is the topping to it all.

Original review: March 20, 2021

So I bought online a twin mattress set for my son. It says it was in stock so I bought it even said pick the date and all our information. I paid not even 10 minutes get a email saying it’s cancel. They don’t have it in stock. I’m like what just happen. It said they did have them both in stock so they basically took my money and 10 minutes later telling me both items I just purchased were out of stock? First of all It should of said that online in the first place why take my money? I had similar experience with Macy’s. The only difference Macy’s never took my money. They said, "Sorry we don’t have them items" but never took my money like Big Lots.

Now I have to wait days for my refund and it’s close to a week and still my money is not back in my account. Keeps saying pending only. I honestly don’t recommend anyone shopping online at all. They shouldn’t had taken my money when something it’s out of stock. Now I’m still waiting for my money back cause is close to a week and still nothing. Thinking calling my bank. Taking forever. At this point never again. I’m honestly scare that they did fraud or something. Regardless I’ll be reporting this to my bank, As a Influencer I will be posting about my experience online too. That’s my job.

Original review: March 17, 2021

Big Lots is a great and friendly place to work. All the staff feels like family. I enjoy all the regular customers that make me really feel like part of the community. If you are looking for a nice place to work this is it.

Original review: March 5, 2021

We bought a Broyhill sectional from Big Lots in Winter Haven, Fl in March of 2013. Although it is showing signs of wear, overall it has held up well and is still in use. We spend most of our time when home on the sectional. It has been a very comfortable, durable choice. I definitely feel we got our money’s worth of use. We would buy a Broyhill from Big Lots again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Bought a brand new recliner along with a sectional about 8 months ago. Have already returned the recliner once. Now the present one has broken and will not work! The mechanism crunches the squirrels have been at work in there. The sectional pads are all sagging and this stuff is just plain garbage! DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM THIS PLACE!!!! By the way, my wife and I are not heavy people. She weighs 112 soaking wet, I, 182!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I often go to Big Lots in Sterling, VA to browse and on my last trip. I kept bumping into a man who, as it turns out, was following me around which I found disturbing and then I realized he was probably an employee or security who thought I was going to steal. This is such a demeaning and uncomfortable feeling and I would rather be searched before I leave the store than to be followed around and he was so obvious about it. This is the second Big Lot location where this has happened and being a Hispanic makes me wonder if they are targeting. I don’t know what they think I can fit into my small handbag or shallow jacket pocket but that was my last trip to any Big Lot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I have shopped many times at this store. Lately, when my husband and I go in this store, we are being followed around the store like they think we are going to steal something. My husband and I pay for everything we buy in your store. He has normally gone with me when he gets off of work and is still wearing his work clothes. My husband owns a construction business and he has paint or dirt or something from work on his clothes. Just because he has that on his clothes doesn't mean he or I will steal anything. It means he has a job and has the money to buy anything he wants, but maybe we need to spend that money elsewhere.

It is horrible to be followed around by 3 or 4 of your employees just because they have no clue that a shoplifter is not going to look like they work because their only job is shoplifting and you can't get dirty doing that. I sometimes go help my husband work, so I might look like I just left a construction site. He remodels houses, so I go clean or paint or help install trim and fixtures. We are very insulted. I filled out their complaint form and they never even bothered to acknowledge that they received it, so I guess corporate doesn't care that someone who spends a lot of money in their stores won't be spending any money in their stores anymore. The first time they followed us around, we laughed. But when it has been 4 times in a row that we are followed, we have had enough.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I bought a love seat from them and was told I could get the matching sofa. Well, they can't find one unless I travel to another state to pick it up by myself. They refused to have it shipped to the store. Now I'm stuck with the love seat and no sofa! I even called customer service at main office and they said I had to go to another state if I wanted the matching sofa.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I went to the store to purchase an advertised sofa. I was told the store doesn’t sell that brand at all. The sofa was advertised on the front page of their flyer. I asked about another model they had displayed on the floor and was told the floor display was the only one they had. But if I wanted to order one it would take at least 16 weeks to arrive. The store employee implied that this scenario is very common. This isn’t the first time I’ve gone to Big Lots to buy something on their ad that wasn’t in stock—- but it’s the last time.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I purchased a mattress and Foundation 3 years ago and ever since then they have been collapsed right in the middle and I have trouble sleeping because of it. The They are a bad store and I am never going to shop there again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought this product about three years ago, and at the time of purchase I was advised by the sales associate that purchasing the coverage was the best option since I would be covered should anything happen to it. Now three years later this sectional starts to peel and it's very messy and ugly. I called up customer service to get it fixed but I was told that my coverage does not include wear and tear. It only includes accidental damage and manufacture defaults. I wouldn't buy another furniture from BigLots again, nor would I recommend buying this sectional for the following reasons;

-I was given wrong information at the time of purchase.
-I bought an item that's not even worth the price due to the time of its useful life.

-And what's the purpose of purchasing a coverage that does not covers your furniture when you needs it?

I am greatly disappointed with the experience I have with Big Lots. This feels like getting robbed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

After my husband told me he had a terrible experience through ordering online through Big Lots I finally talked him into us buying from you again through me. After he Purchased online he was told there was actually none in stock (mistakes happen) but that another location had multiple in stock and sent him that way. He arrived to find out they had none because they couldn’t find it what they should of had.

We finally decided to sign up and buy through me after he insisted no. We ordered online last night to be canceled this morning and no help in store other than a “There nothing we can do but call other locations on our end conversation rather than try to help with a inconvenience". If there was a mistake of inventory I would assume they would have a item brought from another location or waive a delivery seeing I ordered through my local location. I am beyond disappointed and feel like there should not even be a website seeing we had multiple occasions where a location has no idea on inventory.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I just want to tell you call the store before you purchase something online. I made a purchase for furniture that the store did not have, online stated that there was 2 in stock and once I paid for my order it got canceled and now I had to wait 7 days to get my money back in my account. Big Lots needs to update their system. This is inconvenience to have me wait a whole week to get my money back. Now I have go somewhere to get my furniture and missed out on a good deal fooling with this place.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Do not, I repeat, do not spend the money for the furniture protection warranty from Big Lots. The warranty company they use, Warrantech, has horrible overseas customer service and will find any excuse NOT to cover your damage. They are slow to respond to claims, if they respond at all, barely communicate about their findings and then find any excuse not to cover damage.

I have what I consider accidental damage from a pet protection adhesive product I used on the arm of the sofa. They tell me the damage is not covered because it is "fading". It is not fading! Parts of the fabric were pulled off and are missing! I had to explicitly ask for a supervisor to get a US based customer service rep that I could actually understand. DO NOT USE BIG LOTS OR BUY THEIR so-called "warranty".

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Purchased the Trent Big Boy Recliner from the Lancaster, SC store on May 24, 2019 for $433.81. I’ve had nothing but problems since. 1st chair collapsed within months & I was not granted $ back but it was replaced with an identical piece of foreign made junk. 2nd chair collapsed as well (maybe it’s the plywood support beams)???? But anyway the corporate office won’t even talk to me anymore concerning anything & I've never been rude to them whatsoever. I guess you get what you pay for but I’ll never go back to Big Lots EVER again even if they eventually refund my $. Too much of a hassle. They’ll be out of business soon in my opinion.

Big Lots Company Information