2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

3.8/5 (370 ratings)

About Big Lots

Big Lots Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Big Lots?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Bought a brand new recliner along with a sectional about 8 months ago. Have already returned the recliner once. Now the present one has broken and will not work! The mechanism crunches the squirrels have been at work in there. The sectional pads are all sagging and this stuff is just plain garbage! DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM THIS PLACE!!!! By the way, my wife and I are not heavy people. She weighs 112 soaking wet, I, 182!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I often go to Big Lots in Sterling, VA to browse and on my last trip. I kept bumping into a man who, as it turns out, was following me around which I found disturbing and then I realized he was probably an employee or security who thought I was going to steal. This is such a demeaning and uncomfortable feeling and I would rather be searched before I leave the store than to be followed around and he was so obvious about it. This is the second Big Lot location where this has happened and being a Hispanic makes me wonder if they are targeting. I don’t know what they think I can fit into my small handbag or shallow jacket pocket but that was my last trip to any Big Lot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I have shopped many times at this store. Lately, when my husband and I go in this store, we are being followed around the store like they think we are going to steal something. My husband and I pay for everything we buy in your store. He has normally gone with me when he gets off of work and is still wearing his work clothes. My husband owns a construction business and he has paint or dirt or something from work on his clothes. Just because he has that on his clothes doesn't mean he or I will steal anything. It means he has a job and has the money to buy anything he wants, but maybe we need to spend that money elsewhere.

It is horrible to be followed around by 3 or 4 of your employees just because they have no clue that a shoplifter is not going to look like they work because their only job is shoplifting and you can't get dirty doing that. I sometimes go help my husband work, so I might look like I just left a construction site. He remodels houses, so I go clean or paint or help install trim and fixtures. We are very insulted. I filled out their complaint form and they never even bothered to acknowledge that they received it, so I guess corporate doesn't care that someone who spends a lot of money in their stores won't be spending any money in their stores anymore. The first time they followed us around, we laughed. But when it has been 4 times in a row that we are followed, we have had enough.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I bought a love seat from them and was told I could get the matching sofa. Well, they can't find one unless I travel to another state to pick it up by myself. They refused to have it shipped to the store. Now I'm stuck with the love seat and no sofa! I even called customer service at main office and they said I had to go to another state if I wanted the matching sofa.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I went to the store to purchase an advertised sofa. I was told the store doesn’t sell that brand at all. The sofa was advertised on the front page of their flyer. I asked about another model they had displayed on the floor and was told the floor display was the only one they had. But if I wanted to order one it would take at least 16 weeks to arrive. The store employee implied that this scenario is very common. This isn’t the first time I’ve gone to Big Lots to buy something on their ad that wasn’t in stock—- but it’s the last time.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I purchased a mattress and Foundation 3 years ago and ever since then they have been collapsed right in the middle and I have trouble sleeping because of it. The They are a bad store and I am never going to shop there again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought this product about three years ago, and at the time of purchase I was advised by the sales associate that purchasing the coverage was the best option since I would be covered should anything happen to it. Now three years later this sectional starts to peel and it's very messy and ugly. I called up customer service to get it fixed but I was told that my coverage does not include wear and tear. It only includes accidental damage and manufacture defaults. I wouldn't buy another furniture from BigLots again, nor would I recommend buying this sectional for the following reasons;

-I was given wrong information at the time of purchase.
-I bought an item that's not even worth the price due to the time of its useful life.

-And what's the purpose of purchasing a coverage that does not covers your furniture when you needs it?

I am greatly disappointed with the experience I have with Big Lots. This feels like getting robbed.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

After my husband told me he had a terrible experience through ordering online through Big Lots I finally talked him into us buying from you again through me. After he Purchased online he was told there was actually none in stock (mistakes happen) but that another location had multiple in stock and sent him that way. He arrived to find out they had none because they couldn’t find it what they should of had.

We finally decided to sign up and buy through me after he insisted no. We ordered online last night to be canceled this morning and no help in store other than a “There nothing we can do but call other locations on our end conversation rather than try to help with a inconvenience". If there was a mistake of inventory I would assume they would have a item brought from another location or waive a delivery seeing I ordered through my local location. I am beyond disappointed and feel like there should not even be a website seeing we had multiple occasions where a location has no idea on inventory.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I just want to tell you call the store before you purchase something online. I made a purchase for furniture that the store did not have, online stated that there was 2 in stock and once I paid for my order it got canceled and now I had to wait 7 days to get my money back in my account. Big Lots needs to update their system. This is inconvenience to have me wait a whole week to get my money back. Now I have go somewhere to get my furniture and missed out on a good deal fooling with this place.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Do not, I repeat, do not spend the money for the furniture protection warranty from Big Lots. The warranty company they use, Warrantech, has horrible overseas customer service and will find any excuse NOT to cover your damage. They are slow to respond to claims, if they respond at all, barely communicate about their findings and then find any excuse not to cover damage.

I have what I consider accidental damage from a pet protection adhesive product I used on the arm of the sofa. They tell me the damage is not covered because it is "fading". It is not fading! Parts of the fabric were pulled off and are missing! I had to explicitly ask for a supervisor to get a US based customer service rep that I could actually understand. DO NOT USE BIG LOTS OR BUY THEIR so-called "warranty".

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Purchased the Trent Big Boy Recliner from the Lancaster, SC store on May 24, 2019 for $433.81. I’ve had nothing but problems since. 1st chair collapsed within months & I was not granted $ back but it was replaced with an identical piece of foreign made junk. 2nd chair collapsed as well (maybe it’s the plywood support beams)???? But anyway the corporate office won’t even talk to me anymore concerning anything & I've never been rude to them whatsoever. I guess you get what you pay for but I’ll never go back to Big Lots EVER again even if they eventually refund my $. Too much of a hassle. They’ll be out of business soon in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

Transit Rd store, Williamsville NY..bought over 1500.00 (sofa + loveseat) in April at start of Pandemic when everything closed down but essential business'. Picked up the L shape sofa only to find once home the one section was missing feet. I tried calling the store, they couldn't help, so then emailed BL'S customer service asking for feet to be shipped. Provided them with model of couch, receipt and pic of feet. It is now Dec 13th, 8 months later, no response to my second followup email and still waiting for feet that I'm sure we never will get. Worst customer service, unwilling to make resolve customers' issues. Would NEVER buy from them again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I bought a chair less than 2 years ago that fell apart. Thankfully I bought the warranty and received a gift card to replace the chair. I have tried multiple times to order a new chair, and the order has been canceled multiple times. Today, I placed another order and it was again canceled. I called the "customer service" department today to ask about possibly placing my order from another location. Before I could even ask anything, the woman was already telling me they couldn't do anything. I asked to speak to her manager as the call progressed, but she refused to allow me to speak to anyone else. Had she not been so rude and actually listened to my concerns, the call may have ended differently.

I will now caution anyone and everyone from purchasing anything from Big Lots. Your order will either be canceled multiple times (conveniently during their sales I might add) and your refund will not take place for 5 business days, or you'll get stuck talking to a customer service rep who has no idea what that position even entails. I'd like to also add the email cancellation states "Rest assured you will not be charged for the canceled items", which could be construed a couple ways. To say that I'm unsatisfied is an understatement. I wish I wasn't stuck TRYING to purchase something from this retailer.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I ordered a dining set to pick up in store on 12/8 at 10:00am. Was told I'd receive an email confirmation when it was ready to pick up. The full amount was withdrawn from my account at 10:02am. At 1:00, still no email confirming neither the purchase, order number or pick up details. I called the store and was told that many orders came in and an email would only be sent if and when the table was ready. It was 'normal' not to receive a purchase confirmation email. By 6:00 that evening, still no email. I did a live chat with Big Lots corporate who was able to pull my order via email and told that the order was cancelled. I explained that not only had I not received any emails regarding anything, let alone a cancellation, but that the money has been taken from my account. The rep said that the money is taken to 'reserve' the product (store policy) and depending on my bank, it could take 5 days to go 'back in'.

I demanded this information in writing and and immediate deposit of the full amount back into my account as I have no table, order number from not getting any email confirmations and an apparent cancelled order. The rep said that this was store policy and there was nothing she could do. She also told me that I need to call the store before ordering anything online from Big Lots because they don't have control over what is in the inventory in the store. I asked what's the point of taking my money to reserve an item that was stated as 'available' online in a store if none of that is accurate. She simply stated that there was nothing she could do.

It is now 8:30am the next day and I have yet to receive a single email of purchase, cancellation or my money back. I understand there can be some confusion between online and instore purchases, but this is ridiculous. Big Lots needs to refund the money IMMEDIATELY when they are unable to fill an order and COMMUNICATE all information. Completely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I made a $1500 purchase online but the site didn't work so I could not complete the order. Went into the store to finish it. They could not give me my discount because it said " already used" on the incomplete online order so I ended up paying $300 more. Next online order I paid for a 5 piece dining set. I was supposed to pick it up next day. It was suddenly changed to a 3 piece set but the price I paid was NOT changed. I was on the phone to Big Lots for over an hour and they basically said I would have to pay extra for the missing chairs.

I even have a screen shot of the price and description showing it was a 5 piece set that is time and date stamped and corresponds to the time I placed the order. Note again I will lose my discounts because it says "already used" on an incomplete order. Big lots is totally unwilling to help you. Made no offer other than to help them not me. Am cancelling the rest of my furniture order and going some place that actually cares about their customers. I would give them ZERO STARS...DON'T SHOP HERE.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Big Lots offers a good selection of furniture at reasonable prices. I know, one doesn't think of Big Lots and furniture. I plan on buying my next futon mattress which is used as a couch from Big Lots. If you're looking sectionals, comfy recliners, individual pieces, coffee. And end tables, there's a good selection. Also, lamps, rugs, kitchen islands, bed frames, and many home accessories.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

8570 Blue Diamond Rd. Las Vegas NV. This guy at this location name Mike supposed to be the manager. Messed up my entire order. He sent my order to California. I had to call corporate office over 10 times, I talked to a couple which was really nice but not that helpful. Which I had to order the same furniture from a different location. Pay more like $300 more. Which the other furniture was cancel which they kept partial of the money. Going through hell trying to get my money back. Claim # **.

Now I was sent back to Mike that assure me if I didn't steal the furniture he will refund me my money. So he made a call to make sure the furniture was there. While I wait looking at him make phone call. Now this is full-blown racist. I'm not done. This need to stop and let's start with Big Lots. I give them (0). Why shop here if they are allowing people like this to work for them. I told each rep, I spoken with I just had a brain aneurysm. Which I been on the phone days and hours trying to fix this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I bought a oversize chair from Big Lots on July 21, 2020. My chair started coming apart in the month of October. The springs in the seating area broke, the arm on the chair broke and the recliner stop working. I tried to return this item but was unable to work with customer service. They did not want to honor their merchandise. I decided to burn it and found stuffing inside of it that appears to be odd. It burned quickly and very flammable. I would not recommend their furniture product to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I bought a sectional that I felt in love with. Cash not credit. I been calling for month because it missing four legs. They been saying that they will deliver it soon. I am still waiting. Every time I call they been saying they going to call me back that the manager is not available. Never again am I buying from Big Lots furniture.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I wanted to buy a mattress. The tag on it said “in stock.” I couldn’t find a salesperson to help. I went to the front and asked. A woman busy cursing loudly while putting together a piece of furniture was sent over. “What do you want?” She asked me in the surliest tone imaginable. I showed her. She went off to look for it. Came back and said, “it’s not in stock.” “Oh, your tag says it is,” I replied. “You can’t trust what you see on the internet,” she said. “No, your tag says it right here. In stock.” I pointed. “Well, in stock doesn’t mean we have it in stock,” she said. “It just means that sometimes we have it in stock, and we’ll probably have it in stock again at some point.” “Well, I only have a truck today,” I said. “Never mind. And thanks for your friendly attitude.” “You’re the one who was rude to me,” she said, and stalked off. Not an atypical experience at the Bradford Big Lots.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I bought sofa and chaise year back and with sofa, chaise and arm chair I bought Big Lots protection plan. In year chaise and sofa, I met accident where I fall on chaise while installing rear speaker that resulted in tearing of chaise. Now I have called them 3 times and spent more than hour but I did not get any refund as protection plan says it is there for any accident that might happened with your furniture. I was regular customer since last 10 years. I will never going back to biglots for any purchases. Protection plan is good for nothing.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I searched my area for an out of stock item and finally found a floor model at a store a half hour away. The sales associate told me she could not sell me the floor model until the next Friday when she would find out if more were coming in. I told her that other stores were selling theirs, and she checked, discovered the item was discontinued, and said she’d sell it. I just needed to come in and pay for it and they’d box it up for me.

My car was in the shop. She wouldn’t take my payment over the phone or hold the item for a few days even though she had originally planned to hold it until the next Friday. She refused to give me her name or the name of the district manager. She gave me the wrong number for customer service. When I found the right customer service number, I was told again that policy prevented them from holding an item for me. A supervisor never returned my call. Enter my boyfriend. He called the same Big Lots and told them he wanted to purchase the item. They told him they’d box it up and he could pick it up anytime. Just like that, not a single hassle. They boxed it up. When he had time, he went and got it. I will not be shopping at a store that practices such blatant discrimination again.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I am, BIG Lots credit card holder. Just a helpful note. I had the most frustrating experience recently at my local big lots (East Haven, Ct. Frontage rd) when trying to buy a new $1,200 mattress set. After two hours of waiting for the employees to locate all the parts I was told that my 1000 credit card and a 200 debit cannot be combined to qualify for 12 month finance option per my email and advertisement. I was told by the store employee to come back after pandemic because they do not know what to do. All this during pandemic. Please do better. I slept on the floor that night and went to Mattress Firm the next day.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I usually go to the Big Lots in Waldorf and the employees are very friendly and knowledgeable. I would refer to everyone. They have what you need and prices are reasonable. They keep the store stocked most of the time. The only thing that I don't like is the that the facility is small and crowded.

Original review: April 19, 2020

We came into the Big Lots on Sprague in Spokane WA to purchase a living room set. We stood there for 20 minutes before we were even acknowledged by the gentleman helping another customer right there. We were the only ones standing there. Roughly 10 minutes goes by and another gentleman came out showed us a couch that was returned with some minor damage and then brought us back to the floor to do some inventory searching around the area to see what we can find that’s new. As were walking out to the living room sets he says he’ll be right back with us. We stand there for about 10 more minutes and he comes out and walks right by us and proceeds to help another customer start an furniture search and order completely skipping over us after they had only walked up to the furniture section within minutes of him coming back. We walked out and will be doing business elsewhere. What a waste of time.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Please be aware. If you are under special promotional financing your expiration date is not your due date as it is for other credit cards. I was charged almost $200 in interest after I paid off my promotional balance (the only thing I had ever charged to the card) on my due date because my promotional date expired 2 weeks before payment due date. Pay special attention to fine print.

Original review: March 27, 2020

On March 24, 2020, I bought the above referenced product from Big Lots Store #1780. Item worked for 2 DAYS ONLY. Tried to exchange on March 27, 2020. And was told: “NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES. Until further notice when you may return, exchange, or..."

Original review: March 25, 2020

Big Lots furniture in most cases is seconds. That is no place to buy furniture. In fact I try to stay away from the company completely after I saw the many complaints about them. The furniture is not well constructed and in most cases is leather look alike.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Beware of buying furniture from Big Lots. We found out the hard way. Do not make the same mistake we did and buy any furniture from them. Big lots does not stand behind the furniture they sell. Neither does the company that they buy their furniture from. The delivery service that they set up their customers with does not stand behind their service.

I am going to start in the middle of the story because it only makes big lots look worse. We purchased a recliner from big lots and they arranged to have it delivered to us the next day. We had no contact with the delivery service until they arrived. Big lots made all the arrangements. When the chair came out of the box upon delivery, 3 screws were missing from the bottom of the recliner. The delivery company found 2 of the screws and put them back in the chair. They got 1 screw they had in their truck and put it in. They called the store manager at big lots and had her on speaker phone and explained the whole situation with the chair. They told her we would be calling back more than likely. She was rude and said, "I bet they will." As soon as they left we did call the store manager and tell her we could not accept this chair. She argued with me and said they did not know if they would take care of the return and redelivery.

I called their corporate office the next day to complain and they said it would be taken care of. About an hour later I got a call from the manager and she changed her story and said they would pick it up. It took 2 weeks for that to happen. About 2 days later we saw that the chair had put 2 gouges and a long scratch on our laminate floor. We were later to find out that the chair had been dropped on the side that had the damage and the metal frame of the chair did the damage to the floor when the delivery people tried to close the chair after seeing if the screws were holding. They took a video of it and it shows exactly how it happened with the metal frame of chair rubbing floor. We filed a claim with big lots for the lowest estimate which was $3130.00.

The furniture manufacturer said big lots would pay the claim not them because big lots dropped it and that is how it got damaged. They said big lots should of never tried to force us to take the chair. It should of been brought back immediately. Big lots said they would not pay the claim, we needed to go after the delivery company they set up all their furniture deliveries in our area with. The delivery company is saying big lots is at fault. The store manager was always in control and the blame lies with big lots. We have had to pay thousands of dollars out of our pocket to replace the floor. Please dont make the same mistake we did. Big lots is self insured and they will not stand behind what they sell. Neither will they stand behind the delivery service they set up for you. The manufacturer of the furniture will not either. Beware.

JS

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I was looking for new curtains. I had a certain style and color in mind. I had shopped online and was now checking local stores. Luckily, I went to Ollie's before Big Lots. Ollie's had good quality curtain panels for $10.00, Waverly and others. Big Lots had brands I did not recognize for $25. Ollie's sheers were $6.99. Of course, I bought them. Big Lots? $10. I noticed Big Lots lovely Broyhill sectional sofa when I walked in but I also noticed a coffee table with the set that severely needed dusting.

Of course, the shelves in Big Lots contain many types of items. They are crowded together, not neatly arranged as you would see in a large chain store be it department store or grocery store. Both Ollie's and Big Lots are selling closeout items. But Big Lots suddenly thinks that it is an upscale department store. The problem with this is the dusty coffee table and, on another occasion, the things that I asked the store worker for that they don't carry as would be done in normal chain stores. They only carry what you have been able to buy as closeout lots.

Back to the prices. I looked at my brand of cat food at Big Lots. It was as much as any major grocery store, more than some. It is not as if their store is well decorated and carrying designer products. They usually don't. Of course, you will find Broyhill Naples collection furniture at Big Lots but if you go to Broyhill and click on it, it will lead you back to Big Lots. They are the only sellers of this collection. Does this mean that this is a bad collection? Certainly not but it means that this Broyhill is a closeout lot or a super low priced set from Broyhill sold only to Big Lots. Big Lots Google listed states "Big Lots! Live BIG. Save LOTS." That is completely untrue. Overall, Big Lot's is pretty much a cheap store now trying to masquerade as an expensive department store. I will not shop at Big Lots again but I will keep checking back with Ollie's. I have gotten some really amazing deals on quality products at Ollie's.

Big Lots Company Information