Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5
Based on 1,532 ratings submitted in the last year

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I lost my phone and I call the agency to claim my phone and they did everything, I paid the fees and they said it will be done in 2-5 days. I Waited for a week, still didn't get anything. And then I called them and ask for the status of it and they said they cannot see my thing and it will take another 2-5 business days just to get the info. No phones for 2 weeks still hear from them.. insurance money wasted.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My computer was running very slow. I called the central Geek Squad number (I couldn't find a number for my local Geek Squad) for repairs. Chris (from Kentucky!) told me that for $39.99 I could drop off my computer for a “tune up”. She said they would defragment it, remove any viruses, and do other things to bring it back to its original speed. I asked her a number of times if this was the only charge. She said it was. She wrote it up and gave me the reference number of **. She also signed me up for an appointment at 10:20 am the next day at my local Geek Squad store (Crossgates Mall, Albany, NY).

The next day I took off two hours from work to go to my appointment. When I arrived Richard booted up my computer, asked what was wrong. I told him it was really slow, and he said it would be $150 to fix! I told him Chris told me it would only be $39.99, and he said, “well that’s wrong. It’s $150.” I left the Geek Squad counter and spoke with manager Joanna. I gave her my reference ticket number and she left to look it up. She came back saying she could find no ticket number matching mine, that the format for the number wasn’t even one she recognized, and that the price I was quoted was wrong. She said $39.99 gets you a 15 minute sit down with a tech to merely ask questions. This is a classic example of “bait and switch,” which is illegal. I'll never go back to Geek Squad nor Best Buy again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I called countless times to report my dryer and after 40 minutes to an hour on the line they made an appointment for me within a week and the day came they didn't come because they had taken the address and phone number wrong (this happened twice). In conclusion the worst customer service I have seen.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I normally pass on extended warranties or protection plans, but when I purchased my laptop the salesperson talked me into the Geek Squad Protection Plan by telling me that I only needed to pay for 6 months of it and then they were very unclear and I understood after that that I would still have protection for the next couple of years and it would already be paid for in the first 6 months. I realize that this misunderstanding was also my fault because I did not read the fine print.

I realized this mistake when I went to get my data transferred from my old laptop to my new one (for the second time because it had not been done properly the first time!!) and the Geek Squad person told me that sale associates sometimes are not very clear on what all the protection plan entails and it's not unusual for him to find that people feel duped. He told me that I would have to cancel it myself after 6 months or they would keep charging me. I felt stupid, but whatever, lesson learned and I made a note to cancel after 6 months.

I called to cancel and they told me the system was down and to call back in 1 or 2 hours. I did and they said the same thing so I meant to call back the next day but Christmas happened and it was a couple weeks before I called again. This time the person on the phone tried repeatedly to change my mind and did not listen to me when I kept asking to cancel. When he finally agreed to cancel it, he told me there would be a fee. I asked how much this "fee" was and he told me $40 dollars (actually I think it may have been $42, but I'm not positive so I'll just say $40). 1 month of my plan was costing ~$30 and he told me the only way to avoid the fee (which I am positive was never mentioned by any Geek Squad or Best Buy personnel when they convinced me to get this money grab of a protection plan) was to stay on for 3 or 6 more months. What does that even mean?

TLDR: Complete waste of my money and deliberately hard to cancel (couldn't do it online and took multiple phone calls) and the only thing I used my protection plan for was two data transfers that did not work, despite staff telling me my original hard drive was fine and it would work. The data transfers should technically have been free with my purchase of the laptop anyway. Don't waste your money on this.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I bought TV a year ago and paid for warranty about $700. One year later with a few hours of watching this TV colors changed and become distorted. On December 4th, I requested the service and was scheduled for December 9th. After waiting for 5 hours I called Geek Squad that my order was never passed to the third party repair people. Now, 3 and a half weeks later my TV is still not working, Geek Squad representatives passing my request from one third party repair companies to another, it is NOT possible to get any explanations why my orders are cancelled by someone over and over. It is NOT possible to get them to communicate between each other since “right hand doesn’t know what left hand is doing”.

I had to drive over an hour to Best Buy to schedule an appointment because supposedly if you want REAL Geek Squad guy to come to repair TV you cannot do this request over the phone, just in person. So, I made an appointment in person and find out next morning that it was cancelled. After another phone called I was told to drive back and schedule it again!!! All this ordeal is complete fiasco. Useless $5000 TV is on the wall for decoration purposes only and USELESS $700 warranty from Geek Squad!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

In April 2018 I made the mistake of buying a Laptop at Best Buy. I paid extra for set-up, Microsoft office and Geek Squad. Set up was faulty, I couldn't use Office and when I showed up for Geek appointment at 4:00, one person was the so called "squad" and he told me to come back that night at 8:30. I am handicapped and had to bring my laptop in a cart. I DID NOT return to that store. I was over-charged and under-served by several hundred dollars. I write now because I'm still upset especially seeing HSN and QVC offers. I have to start all over and buy another laptop etc. A complete waste of time at Best Buy AND 900$. This HP360 has never worked properly, I never used the faulty Office software and this Geek Squad does not exist. A rip-off in every way.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I called the Geek Squad customer service number because I am a platinum member and they told me that my membership had expired but it was supposed to be until 2020. I called the 800 number to see if I can add my card And continue my service being that I was still a member. The person I spoke to on the phone told me that they were not capable of doing anything to my account because it had expired so she wasn't allowed to do anything else. I explain to her that when I call it still says that I’m active so I did not know that I wasn’t. "Is there anything that anyone could do." She told me no again. I asked her to speak to a supervisor. She again told me it was nothing they could do. I told her. "It’s nothing you can do but I would like to speak to a supervisor. It’s your job. You’re supposed to get me a supervisor."

She laid dormant on the phone for a few A few seconds and then she called me stupid and then she said it again, "You’re stupid" and I asked her what did she say and she said, "Idiot. You’re stupid" and she left me on Hold and never came back to the phone. When someone finally answered the phone they told me it was nothing they could do to help me and she apologized that she talk to me that way. I said to her that I want it more than an apology. Again I was told it was nothing they could do. She also said that she had no way to find out who I spoke to before her. I told her that I needed to speak to someone in charge. She got me a supervisor name Mary ID number **.

Mary explain to me that she would try to find out who I spoke to and a way to resolve the situation. She also told me that she could not reinstate my account but I have credit towards it. She apologized and told me she would do her best to help me. But that was all that I was given. The people that are working as customer service are not here in America but other countries where they’re not accountable for the things they say and the actions they take. It’s not Fair that we have to tolerate disrespect after spending your money and using a company and being a loyal customer. Today in America it is no respect for the consumer. It’s just take take take and never give. I’m very disappointed in Best Buy and geek squad. Latika

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I bought my computer 2 yrs ago this coming boxing day and had Gk Sq added. Long story short, a yr later needing help I called & was told my subscript EXPIRED. Long story short in the same experience where I called for info which the person serving me was SO unskilled. I heard someone sitting next to her cuing her every word. It was long, drawn out silliness. I almost fell asleep while on the phone with her. She was actually reading every word for word while talking AT me.

Then later found out that I was being CHARGED for service that I was TOLD EXPIRED. Asked to speak w/ manager wanting a credit. She told me "No - we don't do that. Not our policy. We're a business not a charity" etc. Honestly - she had my money now I could ** right off as far as she was concerned...! I was SO shocked - I thought I was having some weird dream or something.

After yet ANOTHER call, I had a Tech guy listen in as he connected me where I had yet ANOTHER **, confusing conversation where it was CONFIRMED that my service would start up. THEN - I got a call days later confirming re-start BUT FOR A FEE..! I am SO fed up with this garbage.. I don't deserve this abuse! This is PATHETIC!! And the Canadian #GeekSquadManagement "has no possible way of communicating with Columbia on behalf of their high paying customers.." What kind of business agreement is this if you are not ever allowed to speak to the people you HIRE to do a job for you?!!?! Unless of course, they are lying!

Have been TRYING to look for other online/remote help but not found any yet. In Toronto, On. I called a source in Winnipeg. Unfortunately they don't service outside... I am SO unhappy with that crap that I've dealt with.. The TECHS are helpful. But Management sure doesn't seem to wan to help their customers! #GeeksquadisFAILING. #HorribleCustomerServiceGeeksquadBillingDepartment #GeeksquadOutsourcesCOLUMBIA. I don't have an issue with Columbia, But I DO have an issue where communication is next to impossible. And when I am being abused by GEEKSQUAD! Well, you hired them so - YOU are responsible and NEGLECTFUL to your loyal customers! I have been a loyal #BestBuy Shopper from the beginning. And now I am Pissed off. This doesn't look good for your company...

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I bought a lifetime warranty for $799.00. Terrible mistake. Every time you call they give you excuses. Tell you that they will call you back. They never do. When you give a call back they give you another excuse. For the last 30 hours they tell you their server is down. They are never a help. And won’t refund your money so that you can go to a company that will get the job done. Save your time and money and go elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Brought my computer to Geek Squad in St. John's, NL and not only did they tell me my hard drive had to be replaced they told me they couldn't recover my data. I paid $270 to them and ended up with a smaller hard drive than what I had originally and was told my data was gone. However, another company took my hard drive and not only found all my data they told me my hard drive was fine. They even turned my old drive into an external so I can use it for backup. I called them today and demanded a refund... The girl said she would have to talk to a manager ... called me back, offered $20 .. I told them they better talk to the manager again. They have a bunch of people working there that are not qualified to do what they advertise.

Geek Squad Company Information