Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.7/5 (636 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: May 11, 2022

I've been standing in line 20 minutes and apparently have to make an appointment to pick up my own camera so they took other people that just walked up but their website won't let me make one because somehow my email address doesn't exist in their system even though I clicked the link from the email they sent me. There are 5 people working but the only thing they are doing is wasting time. It doesn't take 3 people plus the customer to not figure out how to NOT pair a smart watch to an iPhone. This is disgusting.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was charged last year for a subscription I didn’t buy and they had to remove it and they have done it again, automatically renewing a membership I never purchased to begin with and telling me it can only be cancelled using my computer. I don’t have a computer at this time, only an iPad. I don’t know how a company can charge someone 329$ for a subscription they did not purchase, and to do this not once, but twice. I expect a full refund and my name off of whatever list it is on. I most definitely would not recommend getting involved in whatever scam this might be. Jenifer

Original review: April 16, 2022

The issue: the charger for an ASUS ROG gaming laptop (bought from Best Buy would be plugged in but constantly cycle through battery/power/battery/etc.) with an annoying notification constantly in the middle of the screen, rendering it useless. I tried to replace it with several universal charge cords over the course of a few months, but none of the pieces actually fit the port. Finally, I tried contacting Asus support to just order a replacement charge cord but ran into a brick wall saying I had to go to Geek Squad for service because I was out of warranty (by a few months).

So I went to the closest Best Buy, about an hour away. They used this tool to test and confirm the charge cord wasn’t working right, but they don’t have a replacement so it needed to be sent to the service center. A week or so later I get an email saying that the estimate changed, I need to call to discuss and approve the new amount before they can work on it. This is where it gets good…

I called, and spent an hour on the phone with an agent who swore up and down I was supposed to reply to the email that told me to call, there wasn’t anything she could do… So I gave up and called back later to try again... This time the rep could only tell me the amount and get my blind approval, not what work was being done. (It was now close to $400.) I kept insisting that I wanted to know why it was so high for a charger cord… he told me I’d get a breakdown when I pick the computer up. (Basically I have to blindly approve this amount first THEN find out what it was for?!)

I slept on it. The next day I tried again and was basically told the exact same thing. Out of frustration, I gave the approval. My son needs that computer for his coding classes, and I just wanted it done. In hindsight, I should have really pushed needing more info but it didn’t seem like that was going to be possible. Last weekend I go to pick it up… they hadn’t replaced the charge cord at all (and the charge light was showing it was still inconsistent/not working). More importantly, the computer wouldn’t even turn on at all!!!

Not only was the problem not fixed, it was in even worse condition! (I’ll repeat, it wouldn’t even turn on, as confirmed by the in store support!!!) For some reason, they replaced the keyboard, battery, and motherboard. No idea why they did all that but that but at least the in store tech was witness that they sent it back “still not working”. So they sent it back out to the service center.

Today I went back to pick it up again. Still had the original charger, again. It turns on again now, luckily, but it STILL is cycling through/not charging. Amazingly, they managed to find a universal charger that fit and… guess what, it worked!!! They were kind enough to give me that charger without charging extra for it, which I do appreciate. Truly I do. Would have been lovely to have started off getting a charger, like the only thing I asked for, but I digress. Of course I did have to pay the $$$ for the battery, keyboard, and motherboard (that I had no issues with) plus 2x an $85 service fee (yes, there was another $85 fee for that 2nd time when it was sent back to the service center because it wasn’t even turning on).

I’m not the “let me talk to the manager” type of customer. I’ve worked retail myself and I’m more the type to praise outstanding experiences but brush off the bad ones. Yet when it’s THIS awful, I can’t help but warn others. Strongly, do not recommend Geek Squad. Instead - try a local, independent repair shop or person who you can actually communicate with.

Original review: April 13, 2022

In 2019, I purchased a one year Geek Squad contract for service and repair. I brought in my Windows 7 OS laptop to get a Windows 10 upgrade installation. I left my laptop with the service person as he asked me to do so. They stole my digital information from my laptop and started sending me fraudulent bills for unauthorized purchases thereafter. I closed my credit card account on file with Geek Squad, so they would not be able to bill the fraudulent charges furthermore. This has not stopped them, they submit thousands of dollars worth of fraudulent purchases to my Paypal account now. My perception is that Best Buy (Geek Squad's physical location) as a corporation is on a very shaky grounds, so now they have entered this final phase of rampant fraud activities; certainly they will follow on footsteps of COMP USA.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I purchased a 2k camera from Best Buy in March. Bought the "Geek Squad" protection plan to be safe, which came handy two weeks later when the camera was acting up. Dropped off at Best buy, was told it can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to be repaired. Watching the tracking info, states it was shipped out of state for repairs (which first off I thought was odd), then no update other than it was received by facility. I spoke with FOUR representatives, every single one giving me a different response on where my camera is. First rep said it would be ready for pickup by end of day, second one stated it was being sent to Best buy for pickup, third person said it was STILL BEING SENT to the facility out of state, and fourth rep has now told me it will be repaired by 04/18. I called asking to speak to supervisor and after being on hold for 15 minutes I was hung up on. I am absolutely livid. Will never use Geek Squad again.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I trusted the Geek Squad / Best Buy to fix my computer as I was getting 100's of emails a day. The Geek Squad took control of my computer and requested that I not get online for several days as they were building a fire wall. When I finally got online a lot of money was missing from my bank account. When I escalated this up the Best Buy chain I was told they can't do a thing for me. DO NOT USE THE GEEK SQUAD with Best Buy. Hackers can too easily gain access into your computer/bank account. Best Buy is basically claiming they are not accountable. The person who hacked into Best Buy/Geek Squad identified themselves as the Geek Squad and called from the Geek Squad 888 phone number.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I've been having multiple issues with my Sony TV since August of 2021. Nine month and 4 different technicians later and the problem still persists. One tech suggested to use Amazon Stick instead of the tv apps. Another one said maybe not to use my BOSE bar speaker so not to strain the tv. Another said to use a different audio cable instead of the HDMI. They keep rescheduling my appointments with no further notice. I get no courtesy call when they don't show up and they never ever call back back despite me always giving them my name and number. Not only is their protection plan a piece of garbage it's a total scam.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Called to cancel warranty. Goes directly to a recording “we are busy“. Cannot talk anyone!!!! Impossible to cancel, since they only give you 24 hours to cancel. I was already very hesitant to get the warranty in the first place.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Charge you $26+ for 5 years and when you decided to cancel they will charge you a $240 cancellation fee. Such a Big mistake, waste of money and it is useless. Do not get this Geeksquad, Best Buy staff will not provide all the info you need with this program.

Original review: March 24, 2022

The worst customer service around...Best Buy and Geek Squad are a rip off... They can't even mount a ceiling mount correctly or wire a firestick... They damaged my ceiling and my firestick... Left a mess...NOW THEY won't DO RIGHT BY ME....and replace damaged product or redo the ceiling mount... All they care about is getting paid... Their techs are incompetent and don't want to work... DON'T USE BEST BUY OR GEEK SQUAD.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I got myself a pre-built pc from BestBuy with a 2-year GeekSquad warranty. The pc started freezing and restarting a few weeks after purchase. I bring the pc to get it repaired at BestBuy, they make me wait 40 mins just to tell me they have to send it to their main location for the repair. Fast forward 5 weeks later, they tell me my pc is repaired and ready for pick up. I get the pc and try using it. Not only does the same problem persists, it now shows me it has less ram and storage than it originally did. So I bring it to get it repaired again. Same thing, long wait plus 4 more weeks of "repair time". And once again, the pc still crashes and restarts out of nowhere. This repair team is a joke, hands down the worst pc warranty I have ever had.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I have tried for weeks now to make contact with Geek Squad's customer service regarding a warranty shipment. I call their 1-800 number and hold then constantly get disconnected. When I'm asked to leave my phone # to be called back, they call then hang up after the first ring. There is NO customer service. Two weeks ago, I did make contact and they asked me to call back in two weeks as they had not received my product via courier (which should have taken 2 days, not 2 weeks). I feel very uneasy about Geek Squad and wonder if I'll ever see my $500 product again.

Original review: March 3, 2022

When I try to reach them to cancel my cell phone protect plan, I spent long time to wait, and they hanged up my phone call. Don't trust their agent ask you to join this company's cell phone protect plan.

Original review: March 1, 2022

At the end of 4 days, I come to the appointment and the Geek notices my phone won’t come on. This is despite the fact that I told him 4 days before 3 times. They can’t fix the phone because it won’t turn on.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I bought an espresso machine at Best Buy. Bought the Geek Squad warranty. The machine had a problem and I was asked to ship it back. I did it and they said I was going to get a gift card to get a new one. Two weeks later I haven't had any news from them. I have spoken to 4 representatives and they have all "escalated" my claim and I was told I was going to get contacted by a supervisor. This never happened. They said the gift card was sent to my email but it is not true. Everyday I check my email and spam and nothing. When I tried to get connected to a supervisor without their famous lie "escalate this to..." they always left me in the line waiting for more than an hour and never no one took my call. BEWARE of this service, it is not worth it and they are incapable of fulfilling what they sell you.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Purchased an iPhone XR in 2019 and tagged along with the Geek Squad package for protection because it seemed like a good one at the time for my peace of mind. Two and a half years later I was not able to use the touchscreen on my phone therefore I figured I would get it replaced with my geek squad package. (No big deal. It happens to phones all the time). Until now I have to spend $15 a month for roughly 28 months, equaling: $420. This $420 plus the $200 deductible bring it to $620 that I would have to pay, as well as a $720 deposit if I don't send the other phone back to them. Again this is normal. I am not upset at this point. (Keep in mind you do not get a new phone, you get a REFURBISHED PHONE.) Now this is where the problems arise and I will list them by order:

1. Geeksquad sends me the wrong phone with a face ID that doesn't work and with a Chinese battery that is not recognized by most chargers. 2. Takes me hours of complaining about the phone for them to realize the problem and let me send the phone back for their mistake, no reimbursement for anything. 3. I receive another package 2 weeks later (they said 3 days it would be delivered), it's the wrong phone again... 4. I call them to tell them that this is ridiculous after waiting all this time and they told me they could do NOTHING about anything. 5. The supervisor told me he would be reaching out with a Best Buy gift card the next business day, the gift card was never seen.

My final point is that if you look at the benefit to the cost, a geek squad protection plan is ABSOLUTELY NOT worth it. The customer service is the worst I have encountered and will not help you whatsoever other than sending you already broken refurbished phones. Just save your monthly money put it into a high-interest savings account and you will be able to buy a brand new phone and have some money left over. Hope this helps.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

BestBuy is scamming people with this option of GeekSquad. If you get this service, that is almost forced by salespeople in Best Buy, they charge you amounts to your credit card that are not authorized. The only option is calling to cancel what every subscription you were on. The person in Geek Squad asked me to download an app to control my computer and fill out a form in order to get my money back. At the end after several attempts to reach out Geek Squad they are just unable to cancel or return this money. I'm wondering how a company like BestBuy allows clients to get in such scam.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

My desktop broke down, it was all dark and it had a message some 1962, I took it there. A a young teenager came, he plugged it in, but nothing happened, well he forgot to plug it in, I told him what happened, he said. "Oh it probably needs a new harddrive," he went around and started to find the things that my computer needed for the repairs, right away he sold me the plan of $199.00, he told me that I needed it protect my the parts that they were going to install, he said that they will call me if something went wrong, if they couldn't retrieve my data, into it on a Friday.

Saturday I got a bunch of messages that they were working on it, and at 6:30pm Saturday, that it was ready, I got excited, so I made an appointment for the following day, at 12pm, I showed up, and my computer was not ready, they said that they needed to send it to Kentucky to retrieve the data, and it could probably cost around $100, so it didn't sounded so bad, so again, the person who came to help me was a young guy, and again he didn't have the right plugs to turn it on, he turned it on, and it was back to when I got it, everything was missing.

They installed the new harddrive and never called me to notify me about it, all my 1000's of pictures were missing, plus important documents, I was very upset and I wanted to speak with the manager, and he was related to the young guy, I asked him about $100 to get the data back and he said it could probably cost $500, and I got upset because the kid said under $100, and with the insurance I will probably save 20%, so I told them NO!, I WILL NOT AND I WON'T!, I told them that I don't have any more trust on them, and I will never, ever again bring my stuff to them, I took my tower and left, I came back later that day to cancel my warranty, And they told me to call the 1800 number, so I got home I called and they gave me most of my money back, and I told them to delete my credit card from the file, so I'm writing this review to alert others to watch out because it could probably happen to you..

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I would have given them a high rating till the events in the last 2 weeks. During the repair to my laptop, they got into my bank account and made 2 transactions without my knowledge & didn't even make repairs I asked to make. That's what I get for trusting in the online repair processes!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

Talk to Geek Squad support online and the lady did not wanna. I ask her if she can figure out how to change it from 32 kb to 64 kb and all she is, "Sorry we don't that." What kinda of service is that when we pay money for this service. Geek squad when my plan is up in a few year I will be not renewing it. Kiss my **.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I have had my tv looked at 4 times now since purchasing it. I am on my third part replacement but have been told that because the board required is not deemed an expensive enough repair that they only want to keep repairing. At this point they have easily spent more than 50% of the tv value on parts and labor because they use a third party tech. It feels like they are trying to run out my warranty so they can wash their hands of it instead of replacing my tv since it has had the same repair 3 times and looked at for the same issue 4 times. The response I keep getting as well is it takes time to work through these claims. If I took up to 14 days to process a warranty claim, especially for something that has stopped working, I would have a lot of angry customers and homeowners.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I sent my phone through Geek Squad to get fixed on December 10th. They told me the repair was only going to take 3-5 days. On the 3rd day I called just to check up on my phone, only to get that it had not been touched, which was fine. I call 3 more times just to get the same exact response. The next time that I called was on the 18th, they proceeded to try and tell me the same thing, but I told them the situation and they told me they had sent it to Apple and maybe Apple could tell me more than what they could. I proceeded to call Apple and sure enough they told me they had fixed my phone and it was on the way back to geek squad, they didn't have any more information, because that was not the service I was using. I am currently calling them everyday, and they still have no idea where my phone is located. Will update this review if I ever receive my phone.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Purchased in-wall home theater system and requested Geek Squad installation. Initial assessment visIt details were not fully shared with the store/team; assessor quit; install crew arrived, did not complete the job - was told they had to leave my house to go to another customer to do work. Took more than a month to return (I asked that they NOT send the same team to finish the job - was ignored and they sent the same crew of unprofessional installers back). When they returned today - I watched as they started and then bailed on the job saying they couldn’t find my pre-installed speaker wires.

The team leader suggested I contact a “professional installation crew that has the proper tools to find wiring”. Silly me, what was I thinking when I thought that the Geek Squad was a professional installation team. I told them to take the equipment I bought back to the store and to get out of my house. I will never use them again and will NOT recommend anyone else use them either. 3 months waiting for incompetence for is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Back in 2017, I brought in this laptop computer for Geek Squad to fix. Geek Squad charged me $40 to have it sent out of state to their repair facility. A week later, I got the computer back without it getting repaired. You'd think I would get my money back, right. Wrong! That $40 was non-refundable! So, I took it to a local computer repair place and that place got it repaired within a day. Don't go to Geek Squad! They'll rip you off big time!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I filed a claim report DEC 5,2021 and it's JAN 7, 2022. My television stopped working (blue screen). I called Best buy, they directed me to GEEK SQUAD with a failed attempted to fix this problem. I paid $1500 for the tv plus $398 for the amazing warranty if ever my TV needed their services, and now I am after one MONTH waiting for a PART to come in....no repair date, and every time I call they tell me it will come in WEDNESDAY, it's been 4 WEDNESDAYS now!!! This has been the worst experience ever! They told me that it could be up to 90 days that I would have to wait for the PART before they consider it to be replaced...how do other people do without the things they buy and for how long are we suppose to wait for the things we pay extra warranty on to be fixed? Do not ever pay a cent for warranty. It's not worth it and it's not going to help your situation by sitting around and waiting for bad service!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Purchased large TV from Best Buy on 11/2021 for $1294.51. Purchased GEEK Squad, Total Tech contract for the installation and 1 yr. service plan for $100. They set up 4 appts., and cancelled each appt. just days before install. Each appt. cancelled due to out-of-stock. But, was advised each time that equipment was IN STOCK. Now, 01/06/22, received (5th notice) another email of cancellation due to equipment being out-of-stock. I still do NOT have my new TV, refund of $1294.51 to Best Buy, nor the Geek Squad fee of $100.00. Was told by Best Buy Co., they would not refund the Geek Squad $100 charge.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Paid for a service contract for a large TV. Called several times. They answer, take down info and hang up. Had several appointments for the tech to arrive. They do not show and do not call. Customer service does nothing. TV still not working correctly. Best Buy will do nothing to fix the issue. Complete run around. Do not waste your money on the service contracts. They do not stand behind them.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I purchased a product through Best Buy with a 2 year Geek Squad Protection Plan. I returned the product (unopened) and received full refund quickly through Best Buy but Geek Squad refused to reimburse the cost of the protection plan. I tried via phone as well as online chat - both refused. If it had been stated upfront when I purchased the plan that there is no refund, I would not have purchase it.

Resolution response: Dec. 23, 2021

Rewriting a review as they were able to fix the problem on the same date after talking to the manager in charge. Solomon came in to my home and was able to fix everything I needed in the gaming computer. Really appreciated your prompt response.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Appointment confirmed with Geek Squad customer service for 2-6pm and the agent calls me in the morning that they are coming to my home from 12-2pm which I'm not home. Agent Solomon from Orlando Area Geek Squad tells me that I need to reschedule my appt. Poor customer service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

One of the worst experiences. Got a LG washing machine and got Geek Squad protection for 4 years. The machine breaks down in 3 months. Part is replaced by the outside company. Machine again breaks down 4 times in the last 2 years. Every time the part is replaced. The 5th time part is replaced, I ask to get the machine replaced. They tell me if the part is available then there is no need to replace the entire machine. So I book the appointment for them to install the broken part.

The Geek squad offshore their servicing to third party service providers and these third party service providers are completely unprofessional. This time I had the worst experience with their servicing. I got the appointment after 2 weeks to replace the part. On the day of appointment no one showed up. At the end of day when I call them to ask why no one showed up. No one takes the responsibility and they move the appointment to one week later. They tell me I booked the appointment for next week. I tell them I did not and I have the text message to prove the appointment was today.

I end up venting to the Customer service lady. She listens and in the end nothing happens. She says, "I am doing my job." I am left frustrated. These people don't take responsibility. You end up wasting your time talking to them and in the end nothing is done to resolve the issue. Never buy the contract with them. You will end up in end less loops and finally end up paying a local technician for repair. GEEK SQUAD is Very poor and Very unprofessional.

Geek Squad Company Information