3.26/5
Based on 1,535 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a tech support service?

Geek Squad

Looking for a tech support service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Geek Squad Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have bought an Apple devices and now a dishwasher through Best Buy and have the extended plan guarantee and I am right now having problems and to get hold of Geek Squad is difficult. I hold twice for more than 20 minutes and to told me that I had to call the manufacturer of the dishwasher and I had to hold another 20 minutes to get hold of them which then they have a geek squad to call you and make an appointment the next day and finally have someone coming. I am not planning in getting anything with an extended guarantee in Best Buy or have a geek squad.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I replaced my HP laptop with a HP Pavilion 360 at Best Buy October 23, 2019. I purchased a Geek Squad service agreement for $199.99. The monitor I had been using on my old laptop would not work on my new one. I contacted Geek Squad support twice to troubleshoot without success. I thought I would try and troubleshoot the problem myself. In the process my screen went blank. I called Geek Squad again for assistance without success. The agent asked if I would like to have a technician come to my house. I said yes. She said he would be there on December 26th. I thought she was kidding, she wasn't. I said I could not wait for two months. In frustration I decided to take my laptop back to Best Buy. When I unplugged my monitor my screen came back to life. My point is, buying the 24/7 support agreement was a serious waste of money.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I have been using Geek Squad for over 5 yrs and now they are using techs from foreign countries with any phone help that I cannot half the time understand. When I ask for a tech that lives in the USA they keep sending me to a foreign person who lives in another country and it starts all over again. Even when typing with them I cannot understand what they are telling me most of the time.

I feel we as customers should have the right, When I ask for an American who lives here to speak to and who lives in the USA but they DO NOT GIVE ME one and then it is a mess again taking of my time and a waste of my $$ because I should have the right to speak to a person who I can understand instead of trying to understand what someone who doesn't speak the correct English without a slang that is hard to understand and makes it too hard to get anything fixed or done plus keeps my time adding up of use trying to understand. Trying to understand someone who doesn't know our slang etc to communicate correctly with us who live here and we who don't speak their other languages or have the time it takes to communicate with them trying to understand them and paying for this mess that isn't helping at all. GET SMART GEEK SQUAD before your long term clients move on to someone else!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I recently took my 5 month old I phone to the Geek Squad for what I thought was a battery replacement issue. Because it was only 5 months old, it should be covered under the 1 year Mfg warranty. After an hour, a representative comes out and tells me the battery is cracked and it is not covered under the original warranty because this appears to be drop damage. I ask the representative to show me the external damage that would have to happen to drop the phone with such force that the protected battery would crack. He told me there wouldn't necessarily be external damage. Then he tried to sell me a new phone and told me he couldn't give me back my old one because it was hazardous. After a not so pleasant exchange, I was able to get my NEVER BEEN DROPPED iPhone back from him.

I left there and went to the Apple Store and although I had no appointment and waited in their queue for 2 hours, I left with a new iPhone which I am entitled to under the warranty. I asked the Apple Store rep if there was any possible way I could drop my iPhone with such force that the battery would actually crack and yet there would be no external damage at all to the phone? "Absolutely not", he said and went on to make a great point... "We wouldn't sell very many iPhones if that was true, would we." He also went on to tell me that the warranty itself states that if no external damage can be detected, the phone should be replaced. Apple authorized the Geek Squad to repair their products because they are more convenient than the Apple Store but they should rethink that strategy. The Geek Squad's poor performance and customer service will reflect on Apple - whether they like it or not. This incident happened at Best Buy in Gateway Brooklyn.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

In 2017 I bought a phone under my ex's carrier. I purchased the mobile insurance under what I thought to be my info with my credit card. This past August 2019, I had fraud on my card and had to change my card information. I try to keep on top of my subscriptions and check my statements monthly. Most of subscriptions pull directly from my checking so it usually isn't a problem. In September, my 6 month old son died. Well I've since begun to make sure my all my finances are in order and noticed that I didn't see the insurance for the last few months.

I called Geek Squad to update my card information. They couldn't find the insurance until I gave them my card number. It was under my exes name. They continued to tell me they gave me 2 months to make a payment and that it ended the beginning of October and couldn't be renewed because they system cancelled it! They would make no exceptions under extenuating circumstances and bestowed no sympathies or apologies. I received no notices and had no clue that it would cancel. I asked to speak to a manager and was told he would say the same thing. Towards the end of the conversation he became very blunt with me and I didn't appreciate that. I will never recommend geek squad for anything. I've heard a ton of bad experiences with them. I'm pissed off. I just paid my phone off, Now it has a crack and I actually need the insurance!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Late August of this year my son took his 2 year old Dell Inspiron laptop to the Geek Squad at 2200 S. University Drive in Davie, FL because it wouldn’t start. He was charged $212 to diagnose and repair the problem. When he went back a week later to pick it up, he was told the operating system was corrupt and both solid state drive and motherboard had failed. Seriously, what’s the likelihood of those three things all happening at the same time??? Furthermore, they said the laptop couldn’t be repaired and simply returned it broken. Smelling something fishy, I shipped the laptop to Dell and within a week got a repair estimate for $59 ($9 parts/$50 labor). My son now has his laptop back in working order and we will never again use Geek Squad. I would rate them zero stars if I could.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I recently purchased a new LG refrigerator from Best Buy in Cambridge Ontario. After only 18 months the sealed unit inside the fridge stopped working and the fridge stopped cooling. I called Geek Squad because I had purchased extended warranty through them (which was a mistake). They send out a 3rd party technician to have a look at the fridge and he told me that the sealed unit was no good. He had to wait until the next day to get authorization to order the part, I had to call the 3rd party place myself in the afternoon for them to tell me that they had not been authorized to order the replacement part.

I then called geek squad again and they told me they didn't receive a quote to repair it and this has gone on now for 2 days. We run a home day care and we bought a top of the line fridge with extra warranty but geek squad's warranty is horrible and they are now saying it won't be until next week that they can book us in and that the average time to repair a fridge is weeks.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

My husband bought a gaming laptop and asked for the Geek Squad insurance. That is $22/month. I bought my laptop and said no to geek squad. I didn’t need it as my husband already had it. Recently found out that I have been billed for geek squad on both of my bank accounts, my account and the joint account with my husband, so $22/month on each account. This would have started after my laptop purchase but since I have work and kids I didn’t notice the extra missing from my account. When I actually checked it had been taken out each month for well over a year. I have been given the run around and still have no answers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I I went to Geek Squad to get security cameras installed. They asked me to pay the full amount before installing cameras as well as survey fee. On the date of survey visit, I was told that we can not install the cameras to this house because of some limitations imposed by geek squad. Very struggling to get my money back.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

First no one every told as a customer that I could only go to 2 locations in my state to fix my phone with Geek Squad protection. Cool. I make an appt for one and the things days will be fixed SAME day if parts available and have to leave work early. Ok get there for my appt. Parts are all in and boom they tell me they cant fix it same day because the tech has the number allowed repairs for the day. So I wasted time off work, almost an hour sitting there and I have to now take more time off work to go back. Very sad that a company advertises one thing and says another.

Geek Squad Company Information