Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5
Based on 1,490 ratings submitted in the last year

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a TV for over $ 1800 in 2019 and took a $ 31. 49 protection plan for a period of 5 year. I was told by Best Buy seller, geek squad will cover me for whatever to that Tv for 5 year. At the beginning of February 2021 I made a claim after my place got burned. I contacted them by they said I have to contact my insurance company. What a joke! On their plan it is said it will cover any accidental damage. Not only that they charged me for February even after my claim was denied 2 weeks later. I had to go back to Best Buy to cancel it from the store. Be cautious when you take protection with Geek Squad !! $31.49 is not cheap plan for almost 2 years. You will end up losing your item plus the money from their so called protection plan!!! Geek Squad = No replacement item. No money back from your protection plan.

Resolution response: March 9, 2021

The end result was that once I had an excellent geek, the problem was resolved to our total satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I had to replace a router at Best Buy. Knowing how finicky routers are, I bought the Geek Squad coverage. What a joke. They made promises and never showed up; no call, nothing. Disgraceful way to run a business. They are putting my 94-year-old mother in danger by not standing by their agreement.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Techs came to my apartment three times. Tech problem is still not resolved. Now neither the rep nor area supervisor return my calls. 800 number was worse than a joke. Same with online "talk with" us. Asking for a supervisor went nowhere. Oh, and when I pressed the "talk" button on the website, I received an automated call saying someone would soon come on the line.. 5 minutes and 40 seconds later I hung up when no one came on.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

UPDATED 02/08/2021: I made a claim for a water spill on a laptop and supplied receipts from Dell's own repair service, as requested. At every stage, this repair service has been deliberately slow and designed to make customers forget to chase: 'We might take 6 weeks to get back to you.' Another: 'You might get a security email within the next 8 days - if it doesn't arrive, contact us again.' This should be an automated email, arriving within 60 seconds. Then: 'The payment should then arrive within 4 weeks.' Really? I'm now 5 months into the claim process and still at least 2 steps away from being paid. Disgraceful. Makes me very angry. Do you think we are so stupid not to see what you're trying to do?

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We paid for 3 years insurance for my son's laptop. We made a claim over 3 months ago for water damage to the device, submitting all requested paperwork at the time. After an initial acknowledgement response within 4 days, we waited for another month before the next response, which involvedmore questions, all of which we had referred to before and none of which were relevant to whether the claim was valid. Another three weeks - still no response. They're obviously just hoping I will forget and go away - which I obviously will not.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Geek Squad never showed up after confirming two appointments and never called. I tried to call the scheduling number and waited 30 minutes to tell me they want to reschedule again. There was no email to let them know I was dissatisfied and unable to connect me with a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Their process is messed up. Agents do not enter the right notes into the file, have all sorts of questions for you but do not enter your answers, just to get to the actual scheduled appointment scheduler requires multiple calls, they transfer the call regularly and then 8 out of 10 times not to the right place/department. Technicians do not come to your appointment (travel) with parts. All parts must be ordered. Even the most routine items. Technicians do not run a full diagnostic on the actual machine, relying only on the error codes and what the internet posts as the issue with the codes, well that didn't work as a 3rd party vendor did test and indicated that he found the solution to be something different than the code would indicate... Did so by testing, but Geek Squad did not test.

Had 3 appointments before an actual repair was conducted, parts had to be ordered after 2 prior appointments, work that they did with the first round of parts ordered and "replaced" did not solve the issue, it remains and each time you are put down the appointment line for a follow up appointment. Instead of putting any "additional" return visits on a priority service level. This has taken about 3 weeks and the same problem that started this is still happening and I have another near 2 weeks to wait for the next appointment without knowing if the parts will come in on time, last time they didn't. No respect for your time, effort, financial impact to your work given what you have to do during what is traditional work hours as well as the long windows of "when" they should arrive. Really awful. Just want the machine they are suppose to know how to fix fixed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Purchased an HP Chromebook in September 2020 with the one year Geek Squad protection plan. After three months of use the lid/screen lower right corner was breaking apart separating the screen from the lid causing a popping sound when closing the Chromebook. Created an appointment with Geek Squad at my local BestBuy in Citrus Heights on 12/28/2020. After waiting for over 20 minutes a gentleman came to the counter and asked who was next. This is where the poor customer service starts. Clearly I saw my name on the screen showing a 4PM appointment so instead of calling out my name he cuts me off to ask other customers when they were scheduled making it seem like I was cutting in line. My conversation lasted no more than 5 minutes after I advised of my situation.

Since I paid a year protection plan I opted to replace the computer and pay for the one year protection plan on the exchanged device. A day later on 12/29/2020 the new protection plan was canceled and was not notified until 12/30/2020 via email. Contacted Geek Squad at the phone number listed within the email. Followed the prompts within the phone tree to speak to someone that the wrong protection plan was cancelled. The old protection plan of the exchanged device should have been canceled, not the new plan that I purchased for $144.99. After being advised by the rep they were not able to assist me I was transferred to a different department. My call was then disconnected. Called back again and was advised of the same thing, call transferred to a different department and was connected to dead air/open mic that I can clearly hear background noises but no rep.

After waiting for over 10 minutes trying to see if the person would answer I received no response. Called Geek Squad back spoke to another rep who surprisingly could see the issue and confirmed the wrong protection plan was canceled but could not assist me correcting the issue and had to transfer my call. Call disconnected again after transfer. Called back again and at this time when a rep answered I asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager. Was advised since they are all working from home. They cannot connect me to a manager. Requested for the rep to connect me directly to someone who could assist me. After placing my call on mute for several minutes of dead air the rep came back, advised he had someone I can speak to, placed my call on hold for several minutes, then disconnected the call.

Called back again and spoke to another rep of which at this time I am extremely angry that they can treat a customer who spends thousands of dollars each year this way. Again asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager and was advised since they all work from home, he could not connect my call and that he could send a request for a manager to call back which could take up to 2 to 3 days. This is completely unacceptable customer service I received. The rep even started to raise his voice at me which you never do when a customer has experienced this kind of treatment as it only escalates the situation even more. I requested for the rep to refund me the $144.99 which advised can take up to 7 to 10 business days.

When I paid for the service it didn’t take 7 to 10 business days for the charge to show up on my BestBuy credit card. Asked the rep for his name and call reference number and will be watching for this refund to show up. After this experience with Geek Squad I will never waste my money on their so called protection plan when it’s clearly a rip-off and the people they hire are completely incompetent to resolve an issue.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had an appointment on 12/24/20 between 7a-1p for redirection of speaker wiring and to install 2 new ceiling speakers. The Tech never showed up, called, emailed, or texted me. When I called Geek Squad after 1p they told me that the Tech couldn’t find my address on his GPS and told me I need to reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks later. I have a tech support plan although they have no consideration for that after you pay them. I’ll never use these Jerks again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Geek Squad is simply a nicely branded product that sells you a promise but always fails to deliver. Firstly, good luck with getting a prompt repair appointment and when they do show up, it's always a 3rd party company. So basically, Geek Squad sells you their shiny 2/3/5 year maintenance plan and just outsource it when you need it. I had a refrigerator go bad, earliest appointment available was in 72hrs. Got a call from 3rd party company day before appointment telling me technician had an emergency call out on the day of my appointment and wont be able to make it. Sure, what could be more urgent than not having a place to store my child's milk. Pushed my appointment out by one day. In the mean time, I had food go bad and couldn't restock new items. Previous Geek Squad repair call I made was for a TV. Took 2 weeks just to have a technician take a look. Surely not the kind of maintenance plan you want to have if you ever need prompt service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We bought a protection plan for our appliances. Our refrigerator stopped working so we called the Geek Squad. They said, "Oh, you will have to wait a couple of days for someone to call and schedule the repair." A couple of days later, we received a call, but they couldn't come for four more days. When the repair guy came we had been without a working refrigerator for one week. He walked in, listened for a couple of minutes and said, "Yep, that's the compressor. We don't repair that. Best Buy will call you in a couple of days." Then he left.

We decided to go ahead and call them back. They said that they didn't have any record of the repair request, but they would be glad to set up a repair. They tried to schedule with the same company that had been out earlier that day. When we explained that company could not repair it, they said they would contact us in a couple of days with a different repair person. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. An hour later we are still on hold, and listening to the same two songs over and over. I feel like Daryl listening to Easy Street. Really, this is the first time that we have had to use Geek Squad. We paid over $400 for the coverage for our appliances, and they do not honor their agreement to repair the appliance. This is not customer service. How can you pay $400 for a repair service, and then they don't make any effort to fix it. It is not worth the money to pay Geek Squad for appliance repair. Skip it, and pay for the repair yourself.

Geek Squad Company Information