Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.7/5 (623 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: March 8, 2021

Lack of skill and knowledge. Time wasting. Could not help with simple phone wifi hook up. The call took 2 hours and the tech repeated over and over the method I have used to connect to the wifi.. Could not understand the English.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My terrible experience with Geek Squad started November 2020, after purchasing a NordicTrack S15i exercise bike, when the delivery was cancelled twice by Geek Squad because: 1) No product in inventory, and about 10 days later 2) No service personnel available to deliver and install it. Once the delivery date arrived, it turned out that the two Geek Squad service people were sub-contractors who, apparently had not installed a NordicTrack S15i before. For a month or so of using the bike, I would not get any results from my efforts (RPM's, miles biked, time, etc.), so I called NordicTrack, and they got me in touch with a certified service company. When their qualified technician came out, he found that the electronics required to provide all these results were damaged.

The two wire harnesses with the connectors to the console had bent pins, thus no results were even possible. It was obvious that the two sub-contracted service people literally slammed the bike together, including not installing 4 screws to steady the bike. And they never tested the bike upon completion. The certified technician ordered all new parts to replace the damaged and missing parts and will be installing them shortly. I directly blame Geek Squad for this totally unacceptable installation. If Geek Squad elects to use sub-contractors and not their own employees, then these people must be trained, so they know what they are doing, especially when installing most of today's equipment which is totally based upon electronics. I will never use Geek Squad again for the installation of anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I purchased a Whirlpool dryer and front loading washer with Geek Squad protection plan for 3 years. My washing machine has had 2 repairs within 2 years. This time the service repair man came out very quickly and sent a repair report to the geek squad. I was informed by the geek squad that it will take 30 days to wait for the part with no eta on the part. When I requested to speak to a manager, the person I was talking to became very rude, told me there was nothing I could do and hung up on me without giving the information to get in touch to a manager. I would not recommend using the geek Squad for service of any equipment.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a TV for over $ 1800 in 2019 and took a $ 31. 49 protection plan for a period of 5 year. I was told by Best Buy seller, geek squad will cover me for whatever to that Tv for 5 year. At the beginning of February 2021 I made a claim after my place got burned. I contacted them by they said I have to contact my insurance company. What a joke! On their plan it is said it will cover any accidental damage. Not only that they charged me for February even after my claim was denied 2 weeks later. I had to go back to Best Buy to cancel it from the store. Be cautious when you take protection with Geek Squad !! $31.49 is not cheap plan for almost 2 years. You will end up losing your item plus the money from their so called protection plan!!! Geek Squad = No replacement item. No money back from your protection plan.

Resolution response: March 9, 2021

The end result was that once I had an excellent geek, the problem was resolved to our total satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I had to replace a router at Best Buy. Knowing how finicky routers are, I bought the Geek Squad coverage. What a joke. They made promises and never showed up; no call, nothing. Disgraceful way to run a business. They are putting my 94-year-old mother in danger by not standing by their agreement.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Techs came to my apartment three times. Tech problem is still not resolved. Now neither the rep nor area supervisor return my calls. 800 number was worse than a joke. Same with online "talk with" us. Asking for a supervisor went nowhere. Oh, and when I pressed the "talk" button on the website, I received an automated call saying someone would soon come on the line.. 5 minutes and 40 seconds later I hung up when no one came on.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

UPDATED 02/08/2021: I made a claim for a water spill on a laptop and supplied receipts from Dell's own repair service, as requested. At every stage, this repair service has been deliberately slow and designed to make customers forget to chase: 'We might take 6 weeks to get back to you.' Another: 'You might get a security email within the next 8 days - if it doesn't arrive, contact us again.' This should be an automated email, arriving within 60 seconds. Then: 'The payment should then arrive within 4 weeks.' Really? I'm now 5 months into the claim process and still at least 2 steps away from being paid. Disgraceful. Makes me very angry. Do you think we are so stupid not to see what you're trying to do?

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We paid for 3 years insurance for my son's laptop. We made a claim over 3 months ago for water damage to the device, submitting all requested paperwork at the time. After an initial acknowledgement response within 4 days, we waited for another month before the next response, which involvedmore questions, all of which we had referred to before and none of which were relevant to whether the claim was valid. Another three weeks - still no response. They're obviously just hoping I will forget and go away - which I obviously will not.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Geek Squad never showed up after confirming two appointments and never called. I tried to call the scheduling number and waited 30 minutes to tell me they want to reschedule again. There was no email to let them know I was dissatisfied and unable to connect me with a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Their process is messed up. Agents do not enter the right notes into the file, have all sorts of questions for you but do not enter your answers, just to get to the actual scheduled appointment scheduler requires multiple calls, they transfer the call regularly and then 8 out of 10 times not to the right place/department. Technicians do not come to your appointment (travel) with parts. All parts must be ordered. Even the most routine items. Technicians do not run a full diagnostic on the actual machine, relying only on the error codes and what the internet posts as the issue with the codes, well that didn't work as a 3rd party vendor did test and indicated that he found the solution to be something different than the code would indicate... Did so by testing, but Geek Squad did not test.

Had 3 appointments before an actual repair was conducted, parts had to be ordered after 2 prior appointments, work that they did with the first round of parts ordered and "replaced" did not solve the issue, it remains and each time you are put down the appointment line for a follow up appointment. Instead of putting any "additional" return visits on a priority service level. This has taken about 3 weeks and the same problem that started this is still happening and I have another near 2 weeks to wait for the next appointment without knowing if the parts will come in on time, last time they didn't. No respect for your time, effort, financial impact to your work given what you have to do during what is traditional work hours as well as the long windows of "when" they should arrive. Really awful. Just want the machine they are suppose to know how to fix fixed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Purchased an HP Chromebook in September 2020 with the one year Geek Squad protection plan. After three months of use the lid/screen lower right corner was breaking apart separating the screen from the lid causing a popping sound when closing the Chromebook. Created an appointment with Geek Squad at my local BestBuy in Citrus Heights on 12/28/2020. After waiting for over 20 minutes a gentleman came to the counter and asked who was next. This is where the poor customer service starts. Clearly I saw my name on the screen showing a 4PM appointment so instead of calling out my name he cuts me off to ask other customers when they were scheduled making it seem like I was cutting in line. My conversation lasted no more than 5 minutes after I advised of my situation.

Since I paid a year protection plan I opted to replace the computer and pay for the one year protection plan on the exchanged device. A day later on 12/29/2020 the new protection plan was canceled and was not notified until 12/30/2020 via email. Contacted Geek Squad at the phone number listed within the email. Followed the prompts within the phone tree to speak to someone that the wrong protection plan was cancelled. The old protection plan of the exchanged device should have been canceled, not the new plan that I purchased for $144.99. After being advised by the rep they were not able to assist me I was transferred to a different department. My call was then disconnected. Called back again and was advised of the same thing, call transferred to a different department and was connected to dead air/open mic that I can clearly hear background noises but no rep.

After waiting for over 10 minutes trying to see if the person would answer I received no response. Called Geek Squad back spoke to another rep who surprisingly could see the issue and confirmed the wrong protection plan was canceled but could not assist me correcting the issue and had to transfer my call. Call disconnected again after transfer. Called back again and at this time when a rep answered I asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager. Was advised since they are all working from home. They cannot connect me to a manager. Requested for the rep to connect me directly to someone who could assist me. After placing my call on mute for several minutes of dead air the rep came back, advised he had someone I can speak to, placed my call on hold for several minutes, then disconnected the call.

Called back again and spoke to another rep of which at this time I am extremely angry that they can treat a customer who spends thousands of dollars each year this way. Again asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager and was advised since they all work from home, he could not connect my call and that he could send a request for a manager to call back which could take up to 2 to 3 days. This is completely unacceptable customer service I received. The rep even started to raise his voice at me which you never do when a customer has experienced this kind of treatment as it only escalates the situation even more. I requested for the rep to refund me the $144.99 which advised can take up to 7 to 10 business days.

When I paid for the service it didn’t take 7 to 10 business days for the charge to show up on my BestBuy credit card. Asked the rep for his name and call reference number and will be watching for this refund to show up. After this experience with Geek Squad I will never waste my money on their so called protection plan when it’s clearly a rip-off and the people they hire are completely incompetent to resolve an issue.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had an appointment on 12/24/20 between 7a-1p for redirection of speaker wiring and to install 2 new ceiling speakers. The Tech never showed up, called, emailed, or texted me. When I called Geek Squad after 1p they told me that the Tech couldn’t find my address on his GPS and told me I need to reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks later. I have a tech support plan although they have no consideration for that after you pay them. I’ll never use these Jerks again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Geek Squad is simply a nicely branded product that sells you a promise but always fails to deliver. Firstly, good luck with getting a prompt repair appointment and when they do show up, it's always a 3rd party company. So basically, Geek Squad sells you their shiny 2/3/5 year maintenance plan and just outsource it when you need it. I had a refrigerator go bad, earliest appointment available was in 72hrs. Got a call from 3rd party company day before appointment telling me technician had an emergency call out on the day of my appointment and wont be able to make it. Sure, what could be more urgent than not having a place to store my child's milk. Pushed my appointment out by one day. In the mean time, I had food go bad and couldn't restock new items. Previous Geek Squad repair call I made was for a TV. Took 2 weeks just to have a technician take a look. Surely not the kind of maintenance plan you want to have if you ever need prompt service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We bought a protection plan for our appliances. Our refrigerator stopped working so we called the Geek Squad. They said, "Oh, you will have to wait a couple of days for someone to call and schedule the repair." A couple of days later, we received a call, but they couldn't come for four more days. When the repair guy came we had been without a working refrigerator for one week. He walked in, listened for a couple of minutes and said, "Yep, that's the compressor. We don't repair that. Best Buy will call you in a couple of days." Then he left.

We decided to go ahead and call them back. They said that they didn't have any record of the repair request, but they would be glad to set up a repair. They tried to schedule with the same company that had been out earlier that day. When we explained that company could not repair it, they said they would contact us in a couple of days with a different repair person. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. An hour later we are still on hold, and listening to the same two songs over and over. I feel like Daryl listening to Easy Street. Really, this is the first time that we have had to use Geek Squad. We paid over $400 for the coverage for our appliances, and they do not honor their agreement to repair the appliance. This is not customer service. How can you pay $400 for a repair service, and then they don't make any effort to fix it. It is not worth the money to pay Geek Squad for appliance repair. Skip it, and pay for the repair yourself.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I had a one time purchase of Geek squad service last year to repair my computer at Fairmont Pasadena TX Best buy. I used my wife's Citi bank/best buy credit card for that. There was no agreement for auto renewal and we were not informed of any renewal this year. All I noticed was citi bank calling me and reminding me about a past due amount. I never keep any payments past due, so checked the account and realized that geek squad took 216 dollar for renewal of my service. Really? Called them to get the refund and they said they can only do partial refund only because we did'nt call in time. But there was no notification for renewal either. Now I have to pay 40 dollars plus 30 dollars late fee for the credit card. So I lost 70 dollars for nothing. Thanks best buy and geek squad. Keep cheating and stealing money from people.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are APPALLED! To be given back a hard drive and lose over 1tb of photos (including all of our children's photos through the years, 10th wedding anniversary trip to Italy, trips around the world and more!!) and be told it's our fault?!? The flippin thing wouldn't even plug in to our computer! How the hell could we have done something?! Then leave my wife in tears and when she walks away, your Geek Squad manager in Sarnia, Ontario says "well that one's going to be a problem!" ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! We are going to the top with this!! Please provide where we can make a formal complaint against the Geek Squad manager at the Sarnia, Ontario location as well as who we need to talk to in order to discuss our case! Shaun & Tara **.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I bought the best Sony TV that Best Buy had and paid extra for the total 5 year Parts and Labor Warranty- highly recommended by Jeff, the Geek Squad Rep, who installed everything and did a great job. Now- my 4 day reservation for Repair has been canceled- Subcontractor AIG can't be here until Friday. And he admitted he will not have the parts. I PAID for a Geek Squad Warranty and want the Geek Squad truck with Trained personnel and all the repair parts. Or I want a new TV- which is what I was told would happen 3 years ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone and computer today. I talked to Alan and Debra at GEEK Squad and they transferred me to the subcontractor- AIG- where I spent 45 minutes with Richard and on hold.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

My D drive failed after a recent major Windows upgrade. The C drive is system - solid state. The D drive showed unallocated, and it wouldn't come back. So, off to Geek Squad. They charged $200 to get an account (including security software I didn't want), and scheduled me to bring my desktop into a Best Buy, after a techie wasn't able to fix this via remote access. They would push the system to a previous checkpoint, and get the D drive back that way. BTW, I have system backup on a WD drive - external.. So, 2 days later I bring it into Best Buy. They said it would be 5-7 days. It actually took about 10 days; they apparently have techies out due to COVID. Irrespective, their stupid automated phone system never stopped telling me "an agent will be assigned soon".

I finally got note that it was ready, and I had to schedule time to pick it up - 4 more days!! When I showed up, the D drive was in a bag. To fix this, they would have to send it out to a 3rd party. Might take a month. Not covered. Probably up to $1000. I will never trust these guys again. They could have told me during those 2+ weeks that they can't fix this, but they didn't. What I ended up doing is spending $60 on a new SATA hard drive, installing it, and restoring from my WD backup. What a waste of time and money.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

What Geek Squad really is, a disorganized group of underpaid foreign offshore techies. They disconnected me 3 times, got shunted to 6 departments when I asked for a refund. Even when they tried to call me once, their phone system did not work and I could hear them but they could not hear me. The reason for all the calls was that I tried to get a refund for a 39.99 charge for a tuneup that did not resolve the problem. Took it to Boxaid and it was fixed in minutes and Boxaid said they did not nothing. What you get when you don't pay people is people who are better than nothing but not good enough. I spent about 1.5 hours to get a 39.99 refund! And I am still waiting.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I wanted to get a new backup camera installed on my car. However, when I originally tried to call Pep Boys it was outside their range of maintenance. I was very displeased but after looking at Amazon I was recommended to try the Geek Squad. I talked to Joseph and he told me to come in store so they could install it there. It only took 3 minutes and I am very pleased with the help I was given. 5 stars. AMAZING customer service.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

No callback as promised with update on repair. Unable to contact them. Not helpful or friendly at all, no one is able to help on phone. During Covid they say they can only help if come to store. Lack of customer service. They give you a phone number with recorded answer.. "Go to store."

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I had a TV & Exercise Bike delivered and installed in October, 2020. The workers dispatched on the job were not actually from Geek Squad but from a contracted third party called "Installs Inc." There were two workers - both with masks either under their nose or around their chins. One of the two workers was visibly sick - coughing and having difficulty breathing. He blamed his breathing problems on the mask and said if I was concerned to reschedule. Neither were wearing gloves, even though Best Buy's emails reported that gloves were standard for their dispatch employees. I was anxious for them to do the job quickly and leave, receiving no orientation on the new items they installed.

I called Best Buy Geek Squad to report the issue - Case #** and was told Tamaris would return my call. A week later I called for the status on my case and was told there was no update. Two weeks later I called again and the case # had disappeared. To add insult to injury, the pedal on the bicycle was not put on properly and is now falling off. I've tried several times to call about this and so far no one from Best Buy Geek Squad is willing to fix the pedal.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

On October 12, 2020, I contacted Geek Squad because my 50" LG Smart TV, which is still under warranty, would not power on. The LG logo would flash for a split second and then disappear. Geek Squad then set up an appointment for October 16. Geek Squad did not inform me that they would outsource the repair of TV to a third party. The third-party company does not honor the appointments set by Geek Squad. They called me on October 15 and diagnosed the problem over the phone and determined that they needed to replace the motherboard. They needed me to give them the model and serial number of the TV in order to order the part, but I was not able to retrieve that information for them at that time and they are not open on weekends. I called them back on October 19th and gave them the information at which time they told me that they could not give me an appointment before November 11th because they didn't have the part.

I went ahead and purchased the part on my own and had it delivered on October 28. I called the third-company back and asked if they could send someone to install the part, but insisted they couldn't come before 11/11. I was then resolved to replace the motherboard myself as I had done so on an older Vizio TV. However when I researched the process on YouTube, I discovered that the problem was not the motherboard, but a burnt out LED light. When I called Geek Squad and told them this, they assured me that the company they outsource to was competent and that if they said it was the motherboard, it must be the motherboard. Reminder; the third-party company diagnosed the problem over the phone. So November 11th comes, the third-party company shows up, replaces the motherboard, and the TV doesn't work. The repair person informed me that the company would have to review my warranty and see what to do next.

Infuriated, my wife and I called Geek Squad and assured us that an actual Geek Squad rep would come to our house on November 16 to fix the TV. November 16 comes and no one shows up. When we called Geek Squad they said that the third-party company was supposed to come. We insisted on speaking to a manager. Someone else got on the phone and spoke to us but we later discovered that she was not a manager. We were told a manager would call us back. It is now November 17 and we haven't heard from Geek Squad or the third-party company. Best Buy will never receive any business from me again. I even cancelled my order for the new iPhone through them and got it from Target instead because I no longer wish to even step foot in one their stores.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Paying 14.99 per month to supposedly protect your phone sounds like a reasonable idea until you realize what you get, which amounts to sweet &* all. The so called warranty protection means you have to call the Geek Squad - no, the Geek Squad signs you see in the Best Buy stores are NOT there to help with your cellphone warranty in any way, shape or form - and then, after waiting and being disconnected several times, you have the honour of being told your method of phone damage requires you to pay for a new phone, which will then be shipped to you and charged to you, and you can then ship your broken phone back and supposedly be refunded part of the cost. What an absolute joke. Useless and time consuming and a complete misrepresentation about what you are buying. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I purchased a washer and dryer from Best Buy in April of 2018 and got the three years extended warranty from Geek Squad. I called on 10/28 to request a service claim because my washer was leaking and had an error code, 2nd time calling in. They assigned me to a service provider Service Quick who called me to confirm my address and told me I was outside of the service area. I called back GS and informed them who was supposed to assign another provider. I waited for 7 days and no calls, I called back only to be informed that there is no information about my call and no documentation stating I am outside of the service area.

I waited on the phone for over an hour and a half only to be told to call back the next day. They don’t want to replace my washer or even send someone else out to fix it. The notes said I refused the service. I am requesting they pull the calls because these calls are recorded. This should not continue! GS customer service is falsely inputting information to avoid providing the services to customer that they charged for. They should not be able to get away with it. I will continue to call, email and review in as many places as possible to let others know about the scam that Best Buy and GS is running on customers. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I paid for additional Tech support for help transferring files from my old laptop to a new one. I spent 7 hours waiting for them to complete it on Friday 10/23/20. The tech signed off with no notes and no files to be found. I have now spent 7 1/2 hours waiting for a return call after calling back 3 times and finally asking for a supervisor to call me. They told me he would call over an hour ago. No call back! They are total rip-offs who do not provide any type f adequate service for money they charge. I’m steamed! I’m a small business owner and have now been out of business for 2 days going on 3 since I will now still not have a computer tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

Brought my laptop in for fixing on LCD panel and was taken for a spin. I showed the Geek Squad crew my warranty I have through HP and they told me it was covered and that they were going to ship it and I'll have it back in no time. They sent me an email showing the price to repair but I didn't get my device. I went to pick it up and they had on my receipt that I paid $90 and I didn't pay anything. They told me I owed $402 but I was under the impression that my warranty would cover.

Geek Squad failed at being upfront about their prices. They would not release my computer until the balance was paid. I spoke with the Geek Squad manager which didn't help because all she kept saying was sorry for the miscommunication but sorry didn't get me anywhere. I also spoke with the store manager and he said even though they didn't do their job of telling me upfront that my warranty wasn't explained correctly and kept saying sorry. This was the worst experience I've gotten from Best Buy. I will not be returning to the Allen Park location again in Michigan.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have had a Geek Squad membership for several years. The few times I have needed them to trouble shoot connection problems or battery replacement they couldn't figure out how to help or what to do. Always polite but seriously incompetent.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I bought my refrigerator, washing machine & dryer, kitchen hood, cooktop, built in Oven from Best Buy along with a five year additional warranty in 2015. I've had trouble with my refrigerator ever since I bought it. Geek Squad or LG replaced my compressor twice and I still have issues with it. Geek squad have this policy to repair a particular appliance thrice before suggesting a replacement. I had a technicians coming multiple times to rectify this issue from Geek Squad but no result. In fact I had a technician have a look at my refrigerator couple of weeks ago (end of september 2020) who had a look at it and suggested a replacement. But Geek squad says I need to follow it up with LG and when I call LG, they say I need to get a notation from Geek Squad stating a replacement.

I am almost at the end of my 5 year extended warranty period. Now Geek Squad and LG are playing soccer with me. Not sure if they are trying buy time so that they could walk away from my issue. After a 5 hour long call with Geek Squad today on 10/19/2020, I got another appointment scheduled with LG now, I am guessing they will replace my compressor again. From next month i.e., November 2020, I will have to pay out of my pocket should something go wrong with my refrigerator as my 5 year extended warranty comes to an end. How justified it is to have a faulty refrigerator repaired multiple times and I paying the price after the warranty.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Geek Squad chat said Geek Squad could repair my trusted platform module on my VAIO laptop. Took it in, paid my fee, picked it up, but it wasn't fixed. Brought it back twice. They finally said they could not fix it and refused to give me my money back. Poorly trained technicians and lousy customer service. Not going back. Ever. Will tell several other people about his experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

So I am having major problems with my laptop, I thought going to geek squad online support would help. BUT nope they're pointless. It took them a good 5min to tell me they can't help. WOW so FAST. They're even FASTER taking your money every month but SO SLOW when it comes to helping their customer. Question? How do you call yourself online support when you can't even HELP the ppl that are online? How aren't you guys connect to charm. Might wanna do something about that. No one wants to be out in this pandemic and you guys choose not to help me. Pretty much gave me no choice but to leave my house. THANK YOU for being the worst support team online that I have EVER MET. Even company across the world have better support teams than you GEEK SQUAD!

Geek Squad Company Information