Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.6/5 (531 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Worst experience with Geek Squad service (5800 Britton Pkwy, Dublin, OH 43016). I worked with ** (salesperson), very sweet and always willing to help. Whereas **(Geek Squad) worst guy in the whole planet. Zero customer service. I will never work with Geek Squad. I do not recommend the Geek Squad especially **. Don't work with him. Worst person.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

When my Dell laptop stopped working I called the Best Buy Geek Squad for help. A technician came out to my condo, identified the problem and made an appointment for me to bring it to the nearest Best Buy location to fix it. They fixed it in 24 hours and a technician came back to my condo to reconnect it and make sure it was working correctly. I am in my late 80's and needed the extra help in identifying and solving the problem. The Geek Squad at Best Buy could not have been more helpful.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

The personnel at the Best Buy store were decent, the only reason they are getting a star. My laptop was sent to the depot and returned to me the first time not fixed. The staff at the store indicated the measures I had taken to try fix it myself and the depot sent it back after doing exactly what I had already done and that the staff had indicated on his report before sending it to them. The second time the problem was fixed but my touchscreen was not working anymore. The entire process was about six weeks. I’m not sending it to them a third time, for fear of further damage. Just take your device to be fixed elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

WORST. SERVICE. EVER. If I could give negative stars, I certainly would! Two appointments and $216 in lost wages later, I STILL don't have my iPhone battery changed?! On top of everything else, both agents wanted to send it out to Apple even though they had the battery in stock and are an APPLE AUTHORIZED REPAIR PROVIDER. The second agent even sunk so low as to tell me it would be more economical to purchase a brand new phone than to pay for a $50 battery!!! Would love to meet his Economics teacher, I tell ya!!!

Bottom line: They simply did not want to perform the service and wasted my time and money. I will NEVER give my business to Best Buy or Geek Squad again. What I WILL do, however, is send a nice, long letter to Apple Corporate detailing both failed appointments and suggest that they end their affiliation with Geek Squad and Best Buy. Neither has stood up to Apple standards of quality and service. They didn't even try to. Many other reviews indicate the same. I wish I'd taken the time to research before I made the first appointment. I trusted that if Apple authorized them they would meet basic standards. That's a mistake I will never make again!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I paid for a three year protection plan when I purchased my computer, I tried to use it once today after an update glitched in the software. I was on chat for a half hour and finally the operator said he had multiple clients to talk to and couldn't help me. It seems like a waste of time and money to me.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

They took the membership fee from my credit card even after cancelling and refused to refund. Instead directed me to ** number where their response is very rude and threatening. Stay away from them. This is a SCAM.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

This is a followup to a previous review that I left. I was having a problem with a cell phone warranty purchased from Geeksquad and repeatedly asked to speak to a supervisor. A supervisor finally did call me back but at the time I was unable to take the phone call, was busy doing something at work that couldn`t wait but they did leave a message. I have called back numerous times each time leaving a message. The message on the answering side indicated that I could expect a return call within two day but this has been going on for three weeks now. Called the main directory number and found out that the person whom I am trying to call is a team leader no less but guess they too are too busy to act in a professional capacity when it comes to unsatisfactory customer service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I bought $3,200 worth of electronic tech devices for my new home in FL direct from Best Buy (BB) in April 2021. All of it was installed by The Geek Squad and I purchased the Total Tech Support plan for $191.70 including tax. The ring outdoor doorbell and camera has been offline for 4 months, it worked for about 7 weeks. I called into BB for the total tech support, was transferred to 6 different representatives over 2 hours, the final support representative of which offered to send a tech out, look at the device, re-install it if necessary for $70. Apparently that kind of support isn't covered. Not sure why anyone in their right mind would pay $190+ when it offers little to no value, comes at an additional cost, not discounting the loss of time and additional frustration. Don't do it...

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Given incorrect information, no follow up and disconnected on chat with Geek Squad. My Toshiba TV drops sound (only 3 months old) and when contacted Baldev. S. via chat he gave me an incident number which on followup could not be found in their system and when I asked the next individual to get someone to call me they disconnected my chat. Most disappointed in Best Buy.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I ordered a gas dryer from Best Buy, and Geek Squad delivered and installed it. But instead of properly clamping the air vent to the back of the dryer, the installers taped it to the dryer, and the air vent quickly detached from the dryer, venting hot air and lint into my house. I had to wait 6 days for another appointment with Geek Squad to have the dryer installed properly. The 2nd installers properly clamped the air vent to the dryer but, in the process, crushed the air vent hose so that I wound up with a blockage in the hose and couldn't use the dryer. This is completely inexcusable!!! I will never again use Geek Squad for appliance installation or repair.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Geek Squad was supposed to come to my home on 08/21/2021 to install MoCA equipment. The tech called that morning and after a discussion he said he can’t do that specific work. The appointment was cancelled. I have numerously requested my money back to no avail from Best Buy. I had paid $199.99 to join the Geek Squad service. I don’t know who is worse, Best Buy or Geek Squad.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I made an appointment with the Geek Squad today to have noisy fan on the back of my under 1 year old computer looked at. I purchased a two year protection plan so I figured it was covered. Yes it's covered if I want to wait 4-6 weeks to change out a fan they stock on the shelf. They even had the balls to charge me for the $15 dollar fan. So I purchased the fan and changed it out myself in about 5 minutes. This a computer my son uses for school and can not be without it for 4-6 weeks. What good is a protection plan if it has to be sent out for 4-6 weeks and the service techs are not even willing to help out. They should have been getting the part off the shelf and installing it on the spot for the money I spent. Total scam in my opinion. How many people are they robbing every day? This kind of thing has to stop or be corrected.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I'm writing anyone who is even considering this "protection plan" to run. This is a straight up scam. They will promise you they will cover damage, fix or replace. It's a LIE. They will charge you, they will make it very hard to get any kind of service, they will hang up on you after you've been on hold for hours. Learn from my mistake and don't waste your money. I'm $400 deep in paying for this "protection" and they will not fix my phone without charging me $200 more because the back of my phone is cracked. I don't even need that part fixed but they refuse to do it without me paying. On top of that they told me screen repairs were covered.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

They were fine at first, they hook into your computer and fix any problems. They charge by the year. The last time someone got into my bank account, got $2000.00 hooked up with them and they said that they would check it out. Well after about 8 hours of working on it, they said that I owed them $350.00 for extra work, which they never told me at first. All costs were supposed to be covered. After not using them for awhile I wondered if they had something to do with missing money. Been trying to connect with them for 3 days now and it reads that I have been unlinked from them, still have time remaining on last contact, makes me wonder. Watch out for them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Seth of the Geek Squad met me at the door in Sherman Texas. Nice touch! I requested an appointment through the national Best Buy contact to determine if the LG sound bar was working properly. Seth told me how to hook up the sound bar and even drew a diagram. But what I wanted was for Seth to test the sound bar to see if it was working properly. Seth stated that he could not do that without the proper equipment. He returned the sound bar to me with instructions to reconnect the sound bar and make another appointment if it did not work. I wonder why I drove 15 miles for that service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Horrible experience all around!! Called in for customer support only to be hung up on three times - I have escalated my case twice with having them confirm someone will call me "within 24hours"... It's been 5 days and I have called twice to re-escalate. One of the customer support employees has been incredibly rude, calling me a liar and laughing about my issue. I have wasted so much time and energy trying to get a simple warranty claim resolved. HORRIBLE experience. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Presently on hold with Geek Squad rep Chad for second time (18 minutes and counting), first time they hung up. Also online in chat for tech since 11:37 a.m. (It is now 2:24 pm.) Not sure I will ever get help.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Tried to get my dead tv replaced for two weeks after only a year of use. Two year service contract that they do everything they can to avoid honoring. They can’t fix tv and need to replace the value. Don’t buy Best Buy Geek Squad service. It is a waste of money.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Their online support is just awful. I called because iCloud contacts were not syncing with Outlook. Their tier one support couldn't help so he had to send the issue to another agent. They do this electronically. After three hours, the next agent hadn't come online yet so I went to bed. The next morning I woke up and saw that an agent said 'Outlook is fixed'. Well, Outlook was working but still was not syncing with iCloud. I called back. Same drill. 45 minutes later another agent came on, ran some automated fixes and then disconnected the session! I called back and asked for a supervisor. They said one would call me back in 20 minutes. 1 hour later, no call. I called back. The tier one tech spend 45 minutes dinking with it, couldn't help and sent me to another tech which came on 30 minutes later. She ran a number of processes and caused my system to reboot and then was gone. Thus far, I've wasted over 7 hours and am no farther ahead. This is AWFUL support.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

According to the Best Buy website they are no longer accepting reviews. The option to purchase a Geek Squad Total Tech plan is "sold out" - hmmmm. I wonder why. This company pumped the masses with their nifty black ties and geeky glasses only to leave us support-less. Every time I call they have a problem looking up my acct. It's 6pm; takes them about 20 mins of explanation of 'I pay for the service but it's under my mother's name/phone' for them to understand and locate the acct. Apparently, very confusing for smart techy people to figure out.

After dealing with the first line of defense, the 'Geeky Phone Rep' took 1 hour just to open a work order, and have me transferred (at 7pm) to the live online agent chat room. OMG! Seriously, it's 8:43pm and I'm still waiting for the live agent to come online to the chat. No joke! I call Best Buy, speak to another 'Geeky Phone Rep' who (after 15 min of explaining - to locate the acct) tells me 'Oh yes, I see your ticket/work order, it's in queue for the next available agent'. Ok, how long? I've been waiting for 1 hour and 1/2 hours. 'Well, we are experience a very high volume and wait times can be up to 200 minutes' ---- :0. What!?!? How is this service? How is this acceptable? How is this worth $200 a yr???? I wrote this review, and guess what it's 8:52pm and the agent is still not on the chat room to help me. BUYER BWARE - oh wait ----> no worries the service is SOLD OUT.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I want to express my appreciation for the service that Brandon ** provided for me through my Best Buy Beta Service Program yesterday, 8/23/21, a Sunday afternoon. I was on the phone for almost 2 hours yesterday before I got through to Brandon. He was able to correct an issue that I was having that others, including Verizon's tech support, were unable to correct. It took Brandon about 15 minutes to diagnose and correct the issue I was having with my Google Messages app and my wife's Apple messaging app... I won't go into the details... but it was involved... I told Brandon that I wanted to speak to someone about his professional, knowledgeable, and considerate assistance. Brandon has greatly contributed to me being a raving fan of Best Buy, including, especially including the Geek Squad assistance I receive from Best Buy.

This is the second time that Best Buy's Geek Squad team provided invaluable service to me when Verizon's advanced technical support team abandoned me because they were closed when I needed them. When the Verizon Technical Support rep was unable to take care of my issue yesterday, he transferred my call to the advanced Verizon technical support team... I received a voicemail greeting that that department was closed... Best Buy wasn't closed... So, I called back to Best Buy and got Brandon. Thank you, Best Buy, Thank you, Best Buy, Thank you, Best Buy... And Thank you, Brandon, for being able to provide the advanced level of support you were able to provide... It's difficult to express my deep appreciation for this... Over and over and over again, I am becoming more and more a raving fan of Best Buy... with the Beta program, the in-store assistance and purchases and the Geek Squad Technical Support!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

After making a reservation over the phone with Geek Squad to repair my HP printer, I show up at the Danbury office today which was obviously overbooked and due to the storm they probably wanted to be done with their day and leave as quickly as possible. I wait in line and when it's my turn I tell the representative that I had a reservation and immediately when he saw me holding my printer he directed me to go to customer service to return it rather than even ask what the issue was.

I told him that I had not bought the printer at Best Buy and that I had spoken to a Geek Squad associate over the phone who had booked my reservation so that they could look at my printer because the printer was displaying a paper jam error which it obviously wasn't so I knew that there had to be a bigger issue. The gentleman that tended to me obviously did not want to deal with the situation so after telling him I had not bought the printer there, took it to a desk looked at it quickly said there was no paper jam (which I knew there wasn't) and said there was nothing they could do they could do to the printer and that it had reached its life.

This was a complete waste of my time as I had driven 45 minutes to get there and they had not taken the time to even look at it properly because they obviously did not want to be bothered with my situation. It was never plugged in to even see the error message. This is the 1st and last time I will try Geek Squad. Waste of my time since they had no interest in assisting me whatsoever. Not sure who needs to be trained properly whether it is the associate who was rushing me out of the store or the associate that I addressed my concerns with over the phone who scheduled the reservation. Very disappointing.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Purchased an OLED TV from someone through Facebook around May 21' who originally purchased it from Best Buy in Nov 2020. Also purchased from him the Geek Squad plan after confirming with best buy that it was transferable. Geek Squad sent an email 2 days later confirming me as the current owner of the plan. Few months down the road I noticed the black color was distorted and checked with Geek Squad to which they said they will repair it not replace. Not liking the idea of repair I decided to get a new one from another brand and asked them to cancel the protection plan to which they said they'll issue a refund of 173.06.

Since the plan was transferred to me (being the current owner of the protection plan) they said they'll have to issue a check (instead to original payment/owner) and would take a bit longer to which I was totally fine. A month later not receiving anything yet I checked back with them and they said they sent to the original owner. We went back and forth & they confirmed that their notes says to be a refund check but the system accidentally issued to the original owner.

After apologizing their mistake they transferred me to the supervisor to find a solution. Instead of finding a solution she clearly said they can't do anything as they issued to the wrong owner and just didn't care at all. I cannot say that enough. She had no empathy or understanding. She sounded like do whatever you want and gave me her employee id and name. I am happy to give those details if needed.

And honestly it's not just about 173 bucks but more about the cheap way best buy has treated a customer. Either they should've been clear in the first place that a check cannot be processed. And secondly, should not have allowed to transfer the ownership in this case. Very disappointed with their behavior. Tried to speak with chat rep and they spoke the same tone. Tried calling them again and the guy "Luis" put me on a 45 min hold and disconnected. Not sure what to do at this point and writing this review here.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Zero stars isn't low enough to express my disgust right now for the Best Buy Geek Squad located in long island NY. Punctuality means nothing to them. You get text messages and emails for days saying they will deliver your item between a specific time and date. But they show up a whole two hours early. Of course I'm away because I'm not expecting them early and they leave. Now I have to wait four days for a redelivery. You guys messed up bad.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Took me forever to schedule an appt to install a TV. Waited on hold, the guy could not figure out how to charge the card so the call took an hour, had to wait two weeks for an appt, and then they showed up at 2PM for the 9-1 appt. No call, nothing but a text at 1230 saying the guy will be here at 1:55. Wasted an entire day and I'm a no show for a celebration of life because of this. Really messed up organization. I tried to review and was told that they are not accepting reviews any longer. There is a surprise.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Fraudulent Charges of $104.99 by Geek Squad. Geek Squad employee has been upset at me because I gave a negative feedback on Gas Dryer Installer. This Geek Squad employee is making fraudulent charges against my credit card by purchasing 3 year protection plan for $104.99. First was made on Jul 3rd 2021 from BestBuy Store # 2663 in Richfield, MN. I got it refunded by calling the BestBuy online service. Now I see the charge for the same amount again made on Jul 8th from BestBuy Store # 1324, Joplin, MO. I will have to write this on media outlets and take legal action.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Purchased a television from Best Buy in March 2021, stopped working in July 2021. Scheduled a home repair appt for July 2. Two hours before the end of the 7 hour window I was texted that the appt would have to be rescheduled to JULY 15. They refused to make the appt any earlier even though I had been bumped. I will never purchase another product from Best Buy and I am returning the remote that I recently purchased. What truly horrible customer service, and if I could award zero stars I would. Buy your electronics elsewhere.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I decided to give Geek Squad another chance after they denied damaging my son’s computer in 2017. I called the National customer service number to get a price and figure out how to schedule an appointment because the site was hard to navigate. I was quoted $59.99 for a battery replacement in a 2015 MacBook Pro (price seemed off but OK). Booked my appointment for a week later.

Day of the appointment…they call 20 minutes before my appointment time to tell me they won’t do it without an active AppleCare subscription. No apology, blamed the rep I talked to for giving me bad info (never mind you can’t call the store directly anymore to get good information). They offered me zero alternatives. Just “too bad, so sad, not our fault.” They knew FOR A WEEK about this appointment and chose to call me when it was very likely I’d be on my way to the location. Zero consideration for the customer. They had a chance to redeem themselves from my bad experience in 2017 and they completely blew it. I wish I could choose zero stars.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I bought a Razer stealth 13 August 2020 with a warranty for 2 years at this store. However started having screen flickering and black screen when the laptop screen was being moved or in general after use for a few months (I’m very busy haven’t had time to set this schedule yet). I updated all my drivers as recommended by razer to no avail. Booked a Geek squad appt on June 30 2021 at this store. I wasn’t able to duplicate the problem on the spot since I didn’t use my laptop and it was still pretty cool in terms of temperature. And I believe based on razer and tech forums, the problem is with the screen cables too close to heat sink.

Of note this is a quote from a YouTube user regarding This issue: “This is a project problem. They pass the screen flat cable over the GPU and CPU heat sink to connect it to the other side of the board. The flat cable is sensible and the heat sink heating during use makes the flat fail. Sometimes it produces only a flicker or screen stripes, but in worst cases, it can produce short. You can search for a disassembly video that shows clearly the flat cable over the heat sink.”

When they gave me the paperwork, I noticed my client description of the issue was just “having issue with screen whenever screen moved black screen appear” and I wanted to ADDEND it: however according to the staff the… “The Client description box has a character limit” so they couldn’t even addend it. I’m very busy. I’m hoping I’m wrong as the geek squad imo has a very good reputation…but I feel my laptop won’t get properly fixed due to inadequate presentation of my problem.

Will write a review follow up once I get my laptop back. I hope I’m wrong and my laptop gets fixed. If I’m right, I hope I can warn others to review whatever your geek squad staff is typing at that moment before they can finalize the report and thus delaying the repair of your product since they “couldn’t change it anymore” after the inquiry has been sent and I needed to set up everything appt etc again which will take a few days… Not possible because of how busy I am… Vincent

Original review: June 28, 2021

I took a geek squad coverage from Geek Squad for my refrigerator paying 148 dollars when I bought it from BestBuy. Within less than 2 years of use the fridge compressor gave up. I have been chasing the geek squad "awesome service" for last 1 month without any respite. This is a SCAM. Never ever take any coverage from them. Completely useless!!!

Geek Squad Company Information