Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.6/5 (532 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: June 23, 2021

I dropped off my Asus laptop on 05/04/21 to be shipped to Geek Squad's service center. After about a week, I finally received an estimate. I was told it would cost me $566 to replace the motherboard & processor (which was expected, I had an idea of what was wrong and I know neither of those items are cheap). My laptop, brand new, had been priced at $850. I called and approved the price so they could go ahead and repair it. I waited around for another two weeks and it still was not repaired, and I received an email saying I had another estimate that needed to be approved. Contrary to what they led me to believe, my computer still had not been worked on.

I called them, and they told me the same thing as the first estimate (the processor and entire motherboard needed to be replaced), and gave me a much higher price of $969. I know replacing the motherboard is a pain, but if they didn't want to work on it, they could have told me at the beginning instead of making me wait an entire month. They raised the price $400 hoping I would decline it so they wouldn't have to fix it. If I had known that with the first estimate, I would have had them send it back and I would've bought another laptop by now. They ripped me off and made me wait around, wasted my time and changed the price simply because they did not want to spend the time repairing it.

I don't recommend these guys at all, they aren't the same as they used to be. I called them and got a price after it was diagnosed, I approved it, waited 2-3 weeks, only for them to raise the price by $400 afterwards because they did not want to repair it. What a waste. Brand new motherboards cost around $200-$300, and my laptop itself had costed $850.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I have a Samsung Refrigerator with a ice maker that freezes over every 3-4 weeks and requires hands on maintenance to remove frozen ice blocking the dispensing mechanism. Set an appointment with Geek Squad with a minimum window of 8am-5pm. I waited all day, they called to confirm the day before and then emailed to cancel after 1pm on appointment day which I learned of after 5 when I called for an update. AIG coordinates their repairs and had no idea what happened. Set another appointment for 8am-5pm, had 2 confirmation emails and no call to confirm as stated in the email so I tried reaching out the day before.

On hold for 30 min so I called back in the morning took an hour to finally get to the person who could tell me at 10:30am that the 8am-5pm appointment was canceled. Oh the service provider doesn't serve your area, The Geek Squad rep believes it's not their fault the service provider doesn't work my area even though they are responsible for coordinating repairs so I'll just have to set another appointment for 10 days later and set another 8-5 window with a new service provider. What are the odds they will show? This is a total service failure, what is the value of a warranty when you need to use it. So far it will be three 8am-5pm days that I've wasted.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I bought a new PC from Best Buy. March 2020. Had problems with the keyboard within a month of setting the PC up. Took FOUR MONTHS (I was very patient) of online support and in store "during Covid" support (with conflicting opinions by different Geek Squad technicians of what the problem was) but didn't resolve the keyboard issue. Finally told me to replace keyboard (within one year warranty) and they would reimburse me, as they no longer had same keyboard to replace. I purchased a higher quality keyboard because of the cheap nature of the keyboard they had sold to me, and they refused to reimburse me, even the partial amount of the cost of the keyboard Best Buy sold to me.

And I've had problems with the Dell PC that I purchased from Best Buy since then as well. I will never buy from Best Buy again, nor will I use Geek Squad or recommend them to anyone, nor will I ever buy a Dell PC again. Geek Squad's support deteriorated over the past year or so for me, as I was a loyal customer of theirs. But that was the end of the line for me.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I recently bought a Lenovo laptop and it was in Microsoft S-mode. The email account linked to Microsoft was one that was no longer operable, so I couldn't do anything on the computer. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy (where I had purchased the computer) and they said they would get it out of S-mode for me and transfer all the data from my old laptop onto the Lenovo. The day I was supposed to pick it up from them, they called and said they couldn't transfer my data because the HD on my existing computer "would not enumerate." They said (or certainly implied) that they couldn't find any data on my existing computer.

I thought they had lost everything on my existing computer. I picked up both computers, got a full refund for the work they were supposed to have completed (plus a $100 gift card because they couldn't transfer the data). They told me at that time that they should have had me turn on my existing computer when I dropped it off with the new one so they could be sure it was really working. Of course, they never did that. Anyway, as soon as I got home, I turned on the existing computer and everything was still there. I had a friend come over who has her own business doing computer repairs, etc., and with 1 1/2 hours she had everything transferred from my existing computer to the new one.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I tried to put zero stars. This company knew my computer that had a replacement policy on it broke, but told me to go buy a new one and kept (and is still) charging my credit card for the protection plan on the computer that had to be replaced because they could not fix it. I have spoken with customer service at length. I was even told that no, no one else at the company could speak with me when I asked to speak with a manager. They told me to go into the store and speak with a manager of both the store (Best Buy) and Geek Squad, even after I told them our stores are closed because there is a pandemic.

I have been a loyal customer of BestBuy and GeekSquad for years, purchasing my own products and gifts there. Once I manage to get them to stop taking money from my account each month, I will never patronize their businesses again. I will not recommend them to my worst enemy. My dealings with them have been a huge waste of time and money.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I recently purchased a new computer. They tried to charge me for a new service and upgrade in Webroot. My old service is in full effect until January 2022 and so is my Webroot, That means the company would have had my money 6 months early!!! I had asked them to transfer Webroot from my old computer to my new computer. They did NOT even install Webroot on my new computer and it can cover more than 1 device. I had left my new computer for set up, they never notified me it was ready, did not give me a briefing on any changes, additions, etc. When I went back, Tech was brief, annoyed and not interested in helping a senior citizen. I am really disappointed in Geek Squad and after 20 years a member, I will not renew my membership.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I bought a computer January of this year from Best Buy. It turned out to be a nightmare. I received an email from their Geek Squad that I missed a plan member payment of $22.99 so I made the payment. When I tried to cancel the plan I was told I would have to pay it in full. After a lot of phone calls and a visit to the store manager he told me the same thing I could not cancel. Finally I called Geek Squad again and said I am going to get help from Consumer Affairs. That is when it was cancelled. I have the person's name and ID information for my files. Geek Squad is not worth the money $359.99 a year. I will never buy from them again.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Horrible service. I went to Geek Squad to fix my computer because the fans weren’t working properly so I shipped it to the repair. Turns out the service was absolutely horrible. Not only did they not fix my issue, but instead when they opened my computer they changed the battery and put one in that OBVIOUSLY didn’t fit, meaning they take 0 care of the products they are given. Due to the idiotic action of putting a bigger battery into my computer it broke other parts of the bottom of the device. Finally, I now have a computer with an inadequate and broken battery. Do not trust this company with your devices. Try and find an alternative solution!

Original review: April 30, 2021

They installed 8 cameras at my home, 3 cameras won’t record motion, I called tech that installed no call back, I have called Best-Buy twice to return only run around here, I paid $1200.00 for cameras including install I asked when I bought cameras $699.00 to install is this total charge. I was told yes, when tech installed charged me $93.00 more for three extra cables to hook up cameras, I felt like I bought a used car at a car lot was sold a lemon, lots of up sale here.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I used Geek Squad's virtual support service to try and connect two computers' files over my home network. I was getting an error on one computer and I couldn't figure it out myself. I tried having Geek Squad fix it, but four wasted hours later and three virtual sessions, they can't fix it either. I asked them for my money back since they couldn't fix it and they claim to offer a "30 day workmanship guarantee" which is obviously false, and they won't give me a refund for the amount I paid either. What a scam! Do NOT use Geek Squad services. They will steal your money and waste more of your time trying to get your money back.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Geek Squad has gone down the drain! They are using 3rd party people that are unprofessional and usually can't get it done. Called them 3 times and now nearly a year later still not fixed. I am a total tech customer and a Best Buy Elite customer. Best Buy and Geek Squad are nothing of what they used to be. Now a big mess filled with young kids working there. No one knows anything, the stores are a mess. Hopeless to expect they can fix things at this point. The quality of these subs and the store personnel is just not good. I am not renewing any of these extended services and shopping elsewhere when possible. A huge void for in home service is opening as they keep dropping the ball!

Original review: March 27, 2021

Got the insurance plan at the time I bought my phone, sounded like something I had to have. No 2 months later and my brand new iPhone 11s camera and flashlight just stopped working. But no worries I’ve got insurance. Hahaha so basically your 2 options are send your phone out for repairs and do without a phone, or you can give 1,000$ deposit and they’ll send a replacement. And after reluctantly agreeing they do more paperwork and at the end ask for more credit card info in case there’s charges?? What? Isn’t that what the monthly payments cover?

So I was arguing and the agent I guess had enough and just hung up. Lol all around a joke, worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. Cancelled my plan because It didn’t do anything anyways. If anyone is looking into this, look the other way. I usually buy my phone at Walmart during holidays to get gift certificates but this time I went to Best Buy instead, needless to say it will be the last time I visit any of these brutal places.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have scheduled multiple appointments with this company for in-home repairs. They have continually come, wasted my time by not fixing the issue, and telling me they will reschedule it for a later date. They never reschedule. If you have the opportunity to get someone else I highly recommend going with anyone over this company. I honestly would rather do it myself than waste an hour of my time watching these fools try and fix something that they are too incompetent to do even though they're supposedly paid professionals. Joke of a company.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I was unable to get Dell to finish a warranty claim and I ended up calling number locally that said Dell Support. When I called I was connected to Geek Squad and I was scammed for over $1,500 when I allowed Geek Squad remote access to my computers and they used three of my credit cards to enter fraudulent charges and create an account with Best Buy for more phony charges by setting up a customer account at Best Buy without my knowledge or consent. When I realized what was going on, I shut down the remote access but it was too late. I had to pay the phony charges to get Amazon paid and that resulted in my Amazon account being locked since January 20 and it is still locked as of this date due to Amazon's "investigation" of my fraudulent claims. Anyone who uses Geek Squad needs to know just how slimy this outfit really is. Best Buy should be ashamed for being associated with these thieves.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Lack of skill and knowledge. Time wasting. Could not help with simple phone wifi hook up. The call took 2 hours and the tech repeated over and over the method I have used to connect to the wifi.. Could not understand the English.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My terrible experience with Geek Squad started November 2020, after purchasing a NordicTrack S15i exercise bike, when the delivery was cancelled twice by Geek Squad because: 1) No product in inventory, and about 10 days later 2) No service personnel available to deliver and install it. Once the delivery date arrived, it turned out that the two Geek Squad service people were sub-contractors who, apparently had not installed a NordicTrack S15i before. For a month or so of using the bike, I would not get any results from my efforts (RPM's, miles biked, time, etc.), so I called NordicTrack, and they got me in touch with a certified service company. When their qualified technician came out, he found that the electronics required to provide all these results were damaged.

The two wire harnesses with the connectors to the console had bent pins, thus no results were even possible. It was obvious that the two sub-contracted service people literally slammed the bike together, including not installing 4 screws to steady the bike. And they never tested the bike upon completion. The certified technician ordered all new parts to replace the damaged and missing parts and will be installing them shortly. I directly blame Geek Squad for this totally unacceptable installation. If Geek Squad elects to use sub-contractors and not their own employees, then these people must be trained, so they know what they are doing, especially when installing most of today's equipment which is totally based upon electronics. I will never use Geek Squad again for the installation of anything.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I purchased a Whirlpool dryer and front loading washer with Geek Squad protection plan for 3 years. My washing machine has had 2 repairs within 2 years. This time the service repair man came out very quickly and sent a repair report to the geek squad. I was informed by the geek squad that it will take 30 days to wait for the part with no eta on the part. When I requested to speak to a manager, the person I was talking to became very rude, told me there was nothing I could do and hung up on me without giving the information to get in touch to a manager. I would not recommend using the geek Squad for service of any equipment.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a TV for over $ 1800 in 2019 and took a $ 31. 49 protection plan for a period of 5 year. I was told by Best Buy seller, geek squad will cover me for whatever to that Tv for 5 year. At the beginning of February 2021 I made a claim after my place got burned. I contacted them by they said I have to contact my insurance company. What a joke! On their plan it is said it will cover any accidental damage. Not only that they charged me for February even after my claim was denied 2 weeks later. I had to go back to Best Buy to cancel it from the store. Be cautious when you take protection with Geek Squad !! $31.49 is not cheap plan for almost 2 years. You will end up losing your item plus the money from their so called protection plan!!! Geek Squad = No replacement item. No money back from your protection plan.

Resolution response: March 9, 2021

The end result was that once I had an excellent geek, the problem was resolved to our total satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I had to replace a router at Best Buy. Knowing how finicky routers are, I bought the Geek Squad coverage. What a joke. They made promises and never showed up; no call, nothing. Disgraceful way to run a business. They are putting my 94-year-old mother in danger by not standing by their agreement.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Techs came to my apartment three times. Tech problem is still not resolved. Now neither the rep nor area supervisor return my calls. 800 number was worse than a joke. Same with online "talk with" us. Asking for a supervisor went nowhere. Oh, and when I pressed the "talk" button on the website, I received an automated call saying someone would soon come on the line.. 5 minutes and 40 seconds later I hung up when no one came on.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

UPDATED 02/08/2021: I made a claim for a water spill on a laptop and supplied receipts from Dell's own repair service, as requested. At every stage, this repair service has been deliberately slow and designed to make customers forget to chase: 'We might take 6 weeks to get back to you.' Another: 'You might get a security email within the next 8 days - if it doesn't arrive, contact us again.' This should be an automated email, arriving within 60 seconds. Then: 'The payment should then arrive within 4 weeks.' Really? I'm now 5 months into the claim process and still at least 2 steps away from being paid. Disgraceful. Makes me very angry. Do you think we are so stupid not to see what you're trying to do?

ORIGINAL REVIEW: We paid for 3 years insurance for my son's laptop. We made a claim over 3 months ago for water damage to the device, submitting all requested paperwork at the time. After an initial acknowledgement response within 4 days, we waited for another month before the next response, which involvedmore questions, all of which we had referred to before and none of which were relevant to whether the claim was valid. Another three weeks - still no response. They're obviously just hoping I will forget and go away - which I obviously will not.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Geek Squad never showed up after confirming two appointments and never called. I tried to call the scheduling number and waited 30 minutes to tell me they want to reschedule again. There was no email to let them know I was dissatisfied and unable to connect me with a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Their process is messed up. Agents do not enter the right notes into the file, have all sorts of questions for you but do not enter your answers, just to get to the actual scheduled appointment scheduler requires multiple calls, they transfer the call regularly and then 8 out of 10 times not to the right place/department. Technicians do not come to your appointment (travel) with parts. All parts must be ordered. Even the most routine items. Technicians do not run a full diagnostic on the actual machine, relying only on the error codes and what the internet posts as the issue with the codes, well that didn't work as a 3rd party vendor did test and indicated that he found the solution to be something different than the code would indicate... Did so by testing, but Geek Squad did not test.

Had 3 appointments before an actual repair was conducted, parts had to be ordered after 2 prior appointments, work that they did with the first round of parts ordered and "replaced" did not solve the issue, it remains and each time you are put down the appointment line for a follow up appointment. Instead of putting any "additional" return visits on a priority service level. This has taken about 3 weeks and the same problem that started this is still happening and I have another near 2 weeks to wait for the next appointment without knowing if the parts will come in on time, last time they didn't. No respect for your time, effort, financial impact to your work given what you have to do during what is traditional work hours as well as the long windows of "when" they should arrive. Really awful. Just want the machine they are suppose to know how to fix fixed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Purchased an HP Chromebook in September 2020 with the one year Geek Squad protection plan. After three months of use the lid/screen lower right corner was breaking apart separating the screen from the lid causing a popping sound when closing the Chromebook. Created an appointment with Geek Squad at my local BestBuy in Citrus Heights on 12/28/2020. After waiting for over 20 minutes a gentleman came to the counter and asked who was next. This is where the poor customer service starts. Clearly I saw my name on the screen showing a 4PM appointment so instead of calling out my name he cuts me off to ask other customers when they were scheduled making it seem like I was cutting in line. My conversation lasted no more than 5 minutes after I advised of my situation.

Since I paid a year protection plan I opted to replace the computer and pay for the one year protection plan on the exchanged device. A day later on 12/29/2020 the new protection plan was canceled and was not notified until 12/30/2020 via email. Contacted Geek Squad at the phone number listed within the email. Followed the prompts within the phone tree to speak to someone that the wrong protection plan was cancelled. The old protection plan of the exchanged device should have been canceled, not the new plan that I purchased for $144.99. After being advised by the rep they were not able to assist me I was transferred to a different department. My call was then disconnected. Called back again and was advised of the same thing, call transferred to a different department and was connected to dead air/open mic that I can clearly hear background noises but no rep.

After waiting for over 10 minutes trying to see if the person would answer I received no response. Called Geek Squad back spoke to another rep who surprisingly could see the issue and confirmed the wrong protection plan was canceled but could not assist me correcting the issue and had to transfer my call. Call disconnected again after transfer. Called back again and at this time when a rep answered I asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager. Was advised since they are all working from home. They cannot connect me to a manager. Requested for the rep to connect me directly to someone who could assist me. After placing my call on mute for several minutes of dead air the rep came back, advised he had someone I can speak to, placed my call on hold for several minutes, then disconnected the call.

Called back again and spoke to another rep of which at this time I am extremely angry that they can treat a customer who spends thousands of dollars each year this way. Again asked to speak to a supervisor/team lead or a manager and was advised since they all work from home, he could not connect my call and that he could send a request for a manager to call back which could take up to 2 to 3 days. This is completely unacceptable customer service I received. The rep even started to raise his voice at me which you never do when a customer has experienced this kind of treatment as it only escalates the situation even more. I requested for the rep to refund me the $144.99 which advised can take up to 7 to 10 business days.

When I paid for the service it didn’t take 7 to 10 business days for the charge to show up on my BestBuy credit card. Asked the rep for his name and call reference number and will be watching for this refund to show up. After this experience with Geek Squad I will never waste my money on their so called protection plan when it’s clearly a rip-off and the people they hire are completely incompetent to resolve an issue.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had an appointment on 12/24/20 between 7a-1p for redirection of speaker wiring and to install 2 new ceiling speakers. The Tech never showed up, called, emailed, or texted me. When I called Geek Squad after 1p they told me that the Tech couldn’t find my address on his GPS and told me I need to reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks later. I have a tech support plan although they have no consideration for that after you pay them. I’ll never use these Jerks again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Geek Squad is simply a nicely branded product that sells you a promise but always fails to deliver. Firstly, good luck with getting a prompt repair appointment and when they do show up, it's always a 3rd party company. So basically, Geek Squad sells you their shiny 2/3/5 year maintenance plan and just outsource it when you need it. I had a refrigerator go bad, earliest appointment available was in 72hrs. Got a call from 3rd party company day before appointment telling me technician had an emergency call out on the day of my appointment and wont be able to make it. Sure, what could be more urgent than not having a place to store my child's milk. Pushed my appointment out by one day. In the mean time, I had food go bad and couldn't restock new items. Previous Geek Squad repair call I made was for a TV. Took 2 weeks just to have a technician take a look. Surely not the kind of maintenance plan you want to have if you ever need prompt service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

We bought a protection plan for our appliances. Our refrigerator stopped working so we called the Geek Squad. They said, "Oh, you will have to wait a couple of days for someone to call and schedule the repair." A couple of days later, we received a call, but they couldn't come for four more days. When the repair guy came we had been without a working refrigerator for one week. He walked in, listened for a couple of minutes and said, "Yep, that's the compressor. We don't repair that. Best Buy will call you in a couple of days." Then he left.

We decided to go ahead and call them back. They said that they didn't have any record of the repair request, but they would be glad to set up a repair. They tried to schedule with the same company that had been out earlier that day. When we explained that company could not repair it, they said they would contact us in a couple of days with a different repair person. So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. An hour later we are still on hold, and listening to the same two songs over and over. I feel like Daryl listening to Easy Street. Really, this is the first time that we have had to use Geek Squad. We paid over $400 for the coverage for our appliances, and they do not honor their agreement to repair the appliance. This is not customer service. How can you pay $400 for a repair service, and then they don't make any effort to fix it. It is not worth the money to pay Geek Squad for appliance repair. Skip it, and pay for the repair yourself.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I had a one time purchase of Geek squad service last year to repair my computer at Fairmont Pasadena TX Best buy. I used my wife's Citi bank/best buy credit card for that. There was no agreement for auto renewal and we were not informed of any renewal this year. All I noticed was citi bank calling me and reminding me about a past due amount. I never keep any payments past due, so checked the account and realized that geek squad took 216 dollar for renewal of my service. Really? Called them to get the refund and they said they can only do partial refund only because we did'nt call in time. But there was no notification for renewal either. Now I have to pay 40 dollars plus 30 dollars late fee for the credit card. So I lost 70 dollars for nothing. Thanks best buy and geek squad. Keep cheating and stealing money from people.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We are APPALLED! To be given back a hard drive and lose over 1tb of photos (including all of our children's photos through the years, 10th wedding anniversary trip to Italy, trips around the world and more!!) and be told it's our fault?!? The flippin thing wouldn't even plug in to our computer! How the hell could we have done something?! Then leave my wife in tears and when she walks away, your Geek Squad manager in Sarnia, Ontario says "well that one's going to be a problem!" ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! We are going to the top with this!! Please provide where we can make a formal complaint against the Geek Squad manager at the Sarnia, Ontario location as well as who we need to talk to in order to discuss our case! Shaun & Tara **.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I bought the best Sony TV that Best Buy had and paid extra for the total 5 year Parts and Labor Warranty- highly recommended by Jeff, the Geek Squad Rep, who installed everything and did a great job. Now- my 4 day reservation for Repair has been canceled- Subcontractor AIG can't be here until Friday. And he admitted he will not have the parts. I PAID for a Geek Squad Warranty and want the Geek Squad truck with Trained personnel and all the repair parts. Or I want a new TV- which is what I was told would happen 3 years ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone and computer today. I talked to Alan and Debra at GEEK Squad and they transferred me to the subcontractor- AIG- where I spent 45 minutes with Richard and on hold.

Geek Squad Company Information