Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.6/5 (1205 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

On October 12, 2020, I contacted Geek Squad because my 50" LG Smart TV, which is still under warranty, would not power on. The LG logo would flash for a split second and then disappear. Geek Squad then set up an appointment for October 16. Geek Squad did not inform me that they would outsource the repair of TV to a third party. The third-party company does not honor the appointments set by Geek Squad. They called me on October 15 and diagnosed the problem over the phone and determined that they needed to replace the motherboard. They needed me to give them the model and serial number of the TV in order to order the part, but I was not able to retrieve that information for them at that time and they are not open on weekends. I called them back on October 19th and gave them the information at which time they told me that they could not give me an appointment before November 11th because they didn't have the part.

I went ahead and purchased the part on my own and had it delivered on October 28. I called the third-company back and asked if they could send someone to install the part, but insisted they couldn't come before 11/11. I was then resolved to replace the motherboard myself as I had done so on an older Vizio TV. However when I researched the process on YouTube, I discovered that the problem was not the motherboard, but a burnt out LED light. When I called Geek Squad and told them this, they assured me that the company they outsource to was competent and that if they said it was the motherboard, it must be the motherboard. Reminder; the third-party company diagnosed the problem over the phone. So November 11th comes, the third-party company shows up, replaces the motherboard, and the TV doesn't work. The repair person informed me that the company would have to review my warranty and see what to do next.

Infuriated, my wife and I called Geek Squad and assured us that an actual Geek Squad rep would come to our house on November 16 to fix the TV. November 16 comes and no one shows up. When we called Geek Squad they said that the third-party company was supposed to come. We insisted on speaking to a manager. Someone else got on the phone and spoke to us but we later discovered that she was not a manager. We were told a manager would call us back. It is now November 17 and we haven't heard from Geek Squad or the third-party company. Best Buy will never receive any business from me again. I even cancelled my order for the new iPhone through them and got it from Target instead because I no longer wish to even step foot in one their stores.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Paying 14.99 per month to supposedly protect your phone sounds like a reasonable idea until you realize what you get, which amounts to sweet &* all. The so called warranty protection means you have to call the Geek Squad - no, the Geek Squad signs you see in the Best Buy stores are NOT there to help with your cellphone warranty in any way, shape or form - and then, after waiting and being disconnected several times, you have the honour of being told your method of phone damage requires you to pay for a new phone, which will then be shipped to you and charged to you, and you can then ship your broken phone back and supposedly be refunded part of the cost. What an absolute joke. Useless and time consuming and a complete misrepresentation about what you are buying. DO NOT BUY THIS.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I purchased a washer and dryer from Best Buy in April of 2018 and got the three years extended warranty from Geek Squad. I called on 10/28 to request a service claim because my washer was leaking and had an error code, 2nd time calling in. They assigned me to a service provider Service Quick who called me to confirm my address and told me I was outside of the service area. I called back GS and informed them who was supposed to assign another provider. I waited for 7 days and no calls, I called back only to be informed that there is no information about my call and no documentation stating I am outside of the service area.

I waited on the phone for over an hour and a half only to be told to call back the next day. They don’t want to replace my washer or even send someone else out to fix it. The notes said I refused the service. I am requesting they pull the calls because these calls are recorded. This should not continue! GS customer service is falsely inputting information to avoid providing the services to customer that they charged for. They should not be able to get away with it. I will continue to call, email and review in as many places as possible to let others know about the scam that Best Buy and GS is running on customers. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I paid for additional Tech support for help transferring files from my old laptop to a new one. I spent 7 hours waiting for them to complete it on Friday 10/23/20. The tech signed off with no notes and no files to be found. I have now spent 7 1/2 hours waiting for a return call after calling back 3 times and finally asking for a supervisor to call me. They told me he would call over an hour ago. No call back! They are total rip-offs who do not provide any type f adequate service for money they charge. I’m steamed! I’m a small business owner and have now been out of business for 2 days going on 3 since I will now still not have a computer tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

Brought my laptop in for fixing on LCD panel and was taken for a spin. I showed the Geek Squad crew my warranty I have through HP and they told me it was covered and that they were going to ship it and I'll have it back in no time. They sent me an email showing the price to repair but I didn't get my device. I went to pick it up and they had on my receipt that I paid $90 and I didn't pay anything. They told me I owed $402 but I was under the impression that my warranty would cover.

Geek Squad failed at being upfront about their prices. They would not release my computer until the balance was paid. I spoke with the Geek Squad manager which didn't help because all she kept saying was sorry for the miscommunication but sorry didn't get me anywhere. I also spoke with the store manager and he said even though they didn't do their job of telling me upfront that my warranty wasn't explained correctly and kept saying sorry. This was the worst experience I've gotten from Best Buy. I will not be returning to the Allen Park location again in Michigan.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have had a Geek Squad membership for several years. The few times I have needed them to trouble shoot connection problems or battery replacement they couldn't figure out how to help or what to do. Always polite but seriously incompetent.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I bought my refrigerator, washing machine & dryer, kitchen hood, cooktop, built in Oven from Best Buy along with a five year additional warranty in 2015. I've had trouble with my refrigerator ever since I bought it. Geek Squad or LG replaced my compressor twice and I still have issues with it. Geek squad have this policy to repair a particular appliance thrice before suggesting a replacement. I had a technicians coming multiple times to rectify this issue from Geek Squad but no result. In fact I had a technician have a look at my refrigerator couple of weeks ago (end of september 2020) who had a look at it and suggested a replacement. But Geek squad says I need to follow it up with LG and when I call LG, they say I need to get a notation from Geek Squad stating a replacement.

I am almost at the end of my 5 year extended warranty period. Now Geek Squad and LG are playing soccer with me. Not sure if they are trying buy time so that they could walk away from my issue. After a 5 hour long call with Geek Squad today on 10/19/2020, I got another appointment scheduled with LG now, I am guessing they will replace my compressor again. From next month i.e., November 2020, I will have to pay out of my pocket should something go wrong with my refrigerator as my 5 year extended warranty comes to an end. How justified it is to have a faulty refrigerator repaired multiple times and I paying the price after the warranty.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Geek Squad chat said Geek Squad could repair my trusted platform module on my VAIO laptop. Took it in, paid my fee, picked it up, but it wasn't fixed. Brought it back twice. They finally said they could not fix it and refused to give me my money back. Poorly trained technicians and lousy customer service. Not going back. Ever. Will tell several other people about his experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

So I am having major problems with my laptop, I thought going to geek squad online support would help. BUT nope they're pointless. It took them a good 5min to tell me they can't help. WOW so FAST. They're even FASTER taking your money every month but SO SLOW when it comes to helping their customer. Question? How do you call yourself online support when you can't even HELP the ppl that are online? How aren't you guys connect to charm. Might wanna do something about that. No one wants to be out in this pandemic and you guys choose not to help me. Pretty much gave me no choice but to leave my house. THANK YOU for being the worst support team online that I have EVER MET. Even company across the world have better support teams than you GEEK SQUAD!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I bought a subscription for help desk computer assistance. Both times I contacted them they never called me when they said they would. Total waste of money. They have no adequate response other than to tell customers to start over.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

WELL LET ME START WITH THEM BEING UNABLE TO FIX MY COMPUTER. INSTEAD SAYING NOT WORTH IT JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE WITH THEM. Then they double charged me for my yearly Geek squad package. They tell me they see I had an account that should be active because it's been under a year but unsure why it's not active. So I pay it again. Then they try calling me to renew the plan weeks later by an automated message saying click a number to authorize payment. So I'm gonna pay upwards of $500 for them to not even be able to fix my computer. I ask them to transfer data. They do. They just don't decode it so it's at least understandable. Wow. Con artist.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I have had a protection plan on my laptop for a few years. They told me to bring it in every 3-4 months for a tune up to keep it running at its best. Today I took it in and the guy said there is nothing he can do to it. I asked what they have done in the past and he said he didn't know and that was on them... even though he works for "them". Now trying to cancel this protection plan but that must be done over the phone. Tried to get through twice and both times after an hour and 1 min on hold, their system cut off my call. Will have to go through my credit card company fraud department to cancel my payments. Stay away from Geek Squad.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

This is the second “no show” in three weeks. Waste of time, great idea, very poor management and/or supervision. I am going to use my American Express and dispute the charges if I am given a hard time. If anyone wants a good business... there are real customers out there.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Geek Squad is normally ok but they do bundle and often are in a hurry so for more money. Magnolia can come out and clean up the mess. And if the installation was 20 years ago and even if it was a fire hazard you have to pay more to clean it up. Count your blessings. Your house did not catch on fire with all the extension cords used to connect your tv and stereo.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

NEVER let the Geek Squad send your computer out to get it repaired!!! They shipped mine off on July 24, 2020 and they still haven't fixed it and it is September 09, 2020. When you call the Geek Squad customer service they will tell you that they are waiting on a part. They won't try to contact the repair department and get the repair expedited. This is ridiculous!!! Look for a local computer repair company, never let the Geek Squad fix your computer. They have had mine for almost two months. Here is my order number ** to prove I am not making this up.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Geek Squad failed to appear at my home today for a scheduled refrigerator repair appointment. The first 800 Geek Squad rep I spoke with said she would check on my appointment and left me on hold for 35 minutes. I called back, and heard the wait time was 7 minutes. 24 minutes later, a rude, ill-trained young man full of piss and vinegar could not understand why I was unhappy. They take our money and then they do jack squat for us. After many tens of thousands of dollars in purchases from Best Buy, I am done.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I requested a phone replacement and I have received 4 defective devices. The last one is scraped and they don't have a complaint department, for every agent there is a new story no one is really committed to find a solution. I wouldn't recommend this insurance to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

My problem not getting speed so I had Geek Squad to check my computer to see what’s wrong with it. And let me tell you as soon as they come in they want to get paid on the spot. Let me tell you they suck. He sat there no more than 5 minutes and told me it was my cable not my computer and left. Mind you I asked to check why I was not getting the speed. Never did. It it’s been over 1 month and I cannot for the life of me get my refund. Spent hours on hold. No one cannot get the right dept. Spent hours talking to different depts. Everyone pointing the finger. It’s not their department. They suck.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

My boyfriend got me a new Chromebook for Christmas and after only a month or two, it started turning off every 5 minutes. It didn’t matter what I was working on. I would be in the middle of typing and it would turn off over and over. And not restart or go to sleep: TURN OFF. Took it to Geek Squad in the Best Buy where the computer was purchased and they looked at it and never fixed it. Found nothing wrong. They told me how to make sure it didn’t go to sleep - but that wasn’t the issue at all. So I have a hardly used useless computer now. It’ll be cheaper to buy a new one than to get it fixed. So disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

My 65 inch TV stopped working after about 18 months. I had the Total Support from Geek Squad. It took a month to fix the issue. Soon after the repair people left, there was another issue. Instead of starting instantly, the TV took about three minutes to start. When I called Geek Squad, the person promised to get the repair people back very quickly. I waited over two weeks and nobody showed on the appointment day. I now have another appointment in two weeks. Supervisors never return calls. I was kept waiting on the phone for a half hour when I called to ask where the repair people were. I finally hung up.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Please, if you read this, never consider using Geek Squad services. It's just a huge waste of time. My laptop got broke when I tried to replace its screen with another one I've seen on a website named **. Eventually, I figured out that it wasn't even a compatible screen, anyways... I went to Best Buy, more precisely Geek Squad, in order to get it fixed. The screen, its hinges and the screen assembly were the only components that were supposed to be fixed, it's written in paper in front of me.

I paid about 550$+. About three weeks later, I get a call from Geek Squad asking if I wanted to fix my keyboard and some extra stuff since there, in fact, a key was missing but it wasn't a big day, an offer to which I clearly answered "no". Then, those brilliant people decided to ship my laptop back to the store, absolutely no fixes, zero, I could see that they've done nothing when one of the employee brought my laptop back, it was in a really bad state. His boss saw it and recalled that they decided to pay for the extra fixes, how smart considering the fact that I clearly said "no". So they shipped my laptop back to Best Buy, 2-3 weeks later I got another call for more useless fixes and an estimate of 800$ because the price "fluctuates" and when I ask them if they at least got something fixed, they answered no.

I was really mad at the time considering the fact that I am a game developer and was suppose to release my game this summer, because I spent more than 100$ for going to the store and then going home because every taxi ride would cost about 20$+ and because at the end of it, I just ended up wasting time and money, school is about to restart and I still have nothing fixed. The level of incompetence I've witnessed is something I couldn't have imagined, nearly two months and they managed to get nothing fixed, truly sad.

At that moment, when I saw how horrible and the waste of my precious time and money, I just decided to cancel everything and to send my laptop to store and they better refund me for the repairs that they haven't done because I'm about to fill some lawsuit for every missing penny. Can't believe that the repairs cost more than the price of the laptop, a laptop that I bought last summer, not even one year, absolutely pathetic. I'm also going to ask for some sort of compensation for Best Buy because of the weeks- months I've lost running around for my laptop like a madman. Might consider buying a fresh new machine.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Do not join Geek Squad tech support services. They will renew your membership without your authorization! They take money out of your bank account without authorization and when you try to call them they put you on hold for hours and no one knows what they are doing when you speak to them. Plus everyone you speak with sounds like they are from overseas. You are not getting help from the United states. They will lie to you and say they sent e-mails to confirm a renewal and when you check there are no e-mails from them. Very fraudulent company. No customer service with no concern for the customer. Honestly feels like spammers. Best Buy should be ashamed Never again!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Beyond frustrated and disappointed with Best Buy Geek Squad Customer Service, Customer Resolution Center and Local White Marsh Best Store. I reported a repair on my my Samsung Hub 2.0 refrigerator to GS over a month ago because I purchased additional warranty for the peace of mind on this expensive purchase. This refrigerator is only 3 years old and I noticed an issue with my ice maker producing less ice and my freezer having frost sheet in the bottom freezer.

I reported the issue to GS and they scheduled a third party service provider to come and troubleshoot the issue. Third party servicer came and advised that need to order additional parts and when parts get delivered, I have to have GS schedule a second service call to install the parts. Same service provider came and installed the parts but original issue became worse where my ice maker completely stopped making any ice and water is dripping inside the refrigerator and my bottom freezer stopped working totally.

Reported the issue to GS again and requested them not to assign my repair to previous service installer but to send some other service provider as previous service provider made my refrigerator issues worse. They scheduled an appointment with a different service provider to come take a look at the refrigerator and that service provider didn't even do anything but just came and cleaned the coils in the back and asked me to shut down the refrigerator for 24 hours and that should SOLVE all of my issues and by turning off the refrigerator for 24 hours, any food inside the refrigerator will not go bad as long as refrigerator stays closed. Of course, that wasn't true and when I turned my refrigerator back up on and opened the door, EVERYTHING inside went bad. Not only that but since then my bottom dip pan is leaking water on the floors.

Reported everything again to Best Buy resolution customer service and they scheduled another service provider who was scheduled to come yesterday (Aug 6th) but never showed up. I went to local best buy store near me to report this and general manager and appliance manager said that I have to call the customer service again and ask them to open an exchange PO first but until that is done, they wouldn't be able to do anything further to help.

I have been on calls with GS customer service customer resolution center asking them that this is going on for so long and I refuse to wait any longer and asked them to issue an exchange PO for the refrigerator as it is at a point where it's damaging my personal property (floors) but none of agents seemed to care and when I finally after being on calls for 2 hours, I got a hold of a supervisor (Kelsey) and explained the issue to her and asked for a exchange, she said nowhere in my service calls to best buy it lists that I ever raised any freezer issue, so she is not going to issue a replacement but schedule another service call which can be for another week or weeks and there is nothing else she can do about it.

I said, "How is it my fault if your customer service reps are not capable to do their job and write the accurate notes?" Of course, without assisting, she hung up the phone on me. I will be raising this to businesses bureau and every other forum and social media I can get my hands on because this is not not acceptable. Today they lost me forever as a customer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

My cellphone was stolen, I file a claim and everything was a very good service until I received my new phone. The Security seal on the box was cut off, and the phone is the same but duty and used, the screen is cracked, I couldn’t help looking at everything twice, and also found out the the number on the box is not the same on the cell. I’m very disappointed! Of the company!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have used Geek Squad for years. The service gets worse each year so this will be the last year I had them do a tune up on the pc and told them I could not turn of the monitor. It says the power button is locked so over 11 hours later they work on the pc but do not call or leave a message as how to fix the power button being locked and god forbid that you can talk to someone and if you call the store of course they can not help as they are not who helped you it being with I am legally blind and do not drive and all I get is take it to the store.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have a laptop which I bought an antivirus from Geek Squad a year ago. What happened, I had files on the notes of my laptop (stopped working) which I failed to save them early. I went there and asked them if They can help me out to recover my files by any way whatsoever. They weren’t able to recover my files, which I was cool with. Then I was asked to pay 52 dollars for the service that they claim “we updated your laptop”. My laptop is HP and it can be updated automatically whenever you shut it down after it stopped working by pressing the on/off button for over 15 seconds. Then I felt like they were trying to rip me off.

At last the worst thing happened instead of apologizing. The lady said “we don’t wanna see you here anymore.“ I am only one week away from buying my yearly antivirus which I bought it from the same location. What makes me to say this before 4 months I came to the same location with the same problem, but then there was a nice guy who knows customer value correctly (I forgot his name but he is short in appearance) and instructed me it’s only one click away to update it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 at Best Buy in Feb 2019 (it's now July 2020). It was NOT a cheap computer. I paid for the 1 year Geek Squad support. 17 months later, my computer was unable to charge (I had tried a new power cord). It seemed to be a battery issue. I made an appointment w/ Geek Squad. I was aware my warranty and service period was up. I was more than willing to pay whatever required, as I rely heavily on this laptop. They would not even LOOK at it. I was told they don't FIX the battery in this make/model of computer. Since when does Best Buy sell computers that even they cannot service?

Fortunately, I called Microsoft (I could not take it to the local Microsoft store - it is closed due to Covid 19). I really just called to express my disgust that I had a fairly new computer that was now unable to boot up, and was apparently unrepairable.... The technician was able to talk me through a procedure which TOTALLY FIXED my Surface laptop. In a 1 hour phone call, accompanied by an email with detailed instructions - I was delighted to find my computer totally restored, no data lost. EASY. Turns out the battery DRIVER was corrupt or missing. She was able to send me a file that repaired the issue.

My point for this review is: HOW COULD GEEK SQUAD NOT KNOW THAT THIS ISSUE WAS TOTALLY FIXABLE. What kind of "geeks" are they, that would not suspect a driver issue? I would have paid a lot of money for THEM to have handled it, I ended up fixing it myself, for free. I don't believe the staff at geek squad is competent or trained properly on issues requiring even the slightest bit of investigation. I'm totally disgusted with them. Their response to my problem was blatantly incompetent,

I've bought 3 computers from them and lots of other things in the past 11 years. Never again. I'm hoping someone in their organization reads this and acknowledges that refusing to look at my laptop was bad protocol. It makes me wonder why I paid for 1 year of tech support - if they don't even service the Microsoft Surface? What kind of tech support do they even provide? I am no longer a Best Buy shopper.

Original review: July 23, 2020

On May 28 2019 I paid $200 for a Geek Squad Membership at Best Buy in Trumbull CT. The membership is for 12 months. Due to Covid19 All local Best Buys and Geek Squad services were closed in CT for 2.5 months. On May 28 2020 I noticed on my credit card statement that Best Buy charged me another $200. I do not understand why I would be charged for a full year when the state was closed for 2.5 months. I paid for 12 months and only received 9.5 months of service. I have recently spent 3 days making phone calls to Best Buy because 1. I did not authorize another 12 months of service, 2. I never received 12 full months of service.

When I call I am put on long holds. The company offers a call back service but when they call you back they place you on hold again. I have asked 3 times to speak to a manager and somehow I end up being left on hold and then the phone hangs up. I'm writing this to warn other consumers. The Geek Squad program is not worth the money. The most recent time they worked on my laptop I had to bring it back to them because the issue was not fixed. Charging customers for 12 full months during a Pandemic and not prorating them for those 2.5 months when the state was closed and then AUTOBILLING them for an additional 12 months on top of that is absurd! Very annoyed. I plan to contact my credit card company. Terrible customer service.

Original review: July 21, 2020

It’s been 5 days since this started. I realized an important file was missing from my laptop which contained many docs I could not afford to lose. My laptop’s touchpad is extremely sensitive (I purchased said laptop from Best Buy) and I have to be very careful, or it will accidentally move files, etc. After doing an exhaustive search myself, I contacted Geek Squad through the app on my laptop. Initially, I was told I had a wait time of 127 minutes. 3 HOUR LATER, a rep finally connected to help me. It took a while for him to understand my problem, he just wanted to restore all the pictures in my recycle file I had purposely deleted without really paying attention to what I was saying or listening to my detailed explanation of the searches I had done, much less what I wanted.

Once he finally understood, he started a recovery process. Halfway through, his shift was over and he left and a new rep contacted me to find out what was going on. I was stunned that the previous rep didn’t leave any notes, instructions — anything — so she could pick up where he left off. I asked to speak to a supervisor. It took awhile for a supervisor to speak to me. He apologized and said they would contact the previous rep and find out what was going on and call me back.

Several hours later I called Geek Squad because I had not heard back from them, (of course, had to again wait to get through to a rep). I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor said there were no notes whatsoever about my case. I was livid. He said someone would get back to me within 3-5 days!! Exhausted and frustrated (almost 7 hours since I had connected with Geek Squad online), I waited until the next day to contact Geek Squad again. This time I got hold of a rep, Alyiah, who seemed willing to actually help me. She thought my best course of action was to make an in-store appointment where a rep could help me in person. Of course, the first available appointment was 3 days away.

I showed up for my in-store appointment today (Monday 7/20/20) — only to be told I could leave my laptop with them, they would “run a diagnostic on it” and someone would phone me in 3-5 days to talk to me. I hit the roof. I don’t need a “diagnostic” run on it! Heaven forbid, they should actually listen to me and find out what I really needed! It’s already been 5 days since this started and they refused to actually let me speak to a rep to tell them what was going on. I asked to speak to a store manager. Kathy, the store manager (Union Square NYC Best Buy), came to talk with me and made it very clear that she really didn’t care whether I was helped or not. From her attitude, I was actually afraid to leave my laptop there because I got the feeling she took perverse delight in my upset and frustration. I certainly didn’t want my laptop sabotaged on purpose — and I got the feeling it was a distinct possibility if I left it with them.

Per the instructions from the rep who had assured me I would be speaking to a rep in person, I left everything open that the rep who started the recovery left running before he bailed at the end of his shift. I haven’t been able to use my laptop, nor get any reasonable explanation, much less any satisfactory solution. I pay for this service which is not cheap — especially during all the disastrous financial effects of Covid. I expect better treatment than this. The incompetence, utter apathy and blatant lack of customer service is appalling!!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I purchased a desktop computer at Best Buy and got the Geek Squad 24/7 support. It takes at a minimum 30 minutes to get someone to answer. I have called 7 times in week trying to get some issues solved. Either the agent disconnected me or didn't know how to fix my issue. I am going to return the desktop and go back to Dell. Geek Squad is a joke.

Geek Squad Company Information