1.40/5

belk.com

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

118 Belk Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I am about to check out just as I finished stacking up my order, before I clicked place order (step 1 before billing) my credit card company prompted via SMS that I was charged with $108, the cost of all the products. Btw, my payment method was saved in their account. Since there was no confirmation by Belk, I thought it was just a glitch so I tried clicking "place order" again, then I was sent with an SMS AGAIN. Checked my order history, no orders whatsoever. I contacted them and told me that there's nothing to worry about because payment will not go through unless they ship my order.

Then, my credit card was temporarily put on hold by my bank. Called them up and they said that BELK.COM was trying to charge me SEVEN TIMES!!! But my bank won't let them go through and rejected them because of unauthorized activity! Crazy! My bank told me to deactivate my credit card and change to a new one because they worry that BELK will charge me as my details are already with them... which I did. I had to deactivate my credit card and get and pay for a new one. Because of you. I wish this shop will just stop scamming their customers and excuse themselves for technical errors or whatever excuse you find. Hope you stop charging people for something they have not ordered yet! You guys are the worst!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have been using Estee Lauder products for many years and would like to try samples of some of the newer moisturizers, eye creams, and primers. I have visited the cosmetic counter at the Belks in Bristol, TN at the Pinnacle and have asked several times on several occasions for samples to try, and was told they no longer give out samples and they were only available to purchase. I am very dissatisfied with their rudeness and unwillingness to help you with their products. May have to switch dept stores or switch makeup brands...

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I was unable to login my Belk Premier Account through Synchrony Bank and was told there was a technical problem with my account. I called and was told my account had been closed and was told it was reported lost. Later I was told it was reported as fraudulent by me 3 days ago and I made no such call. They also added under a fraud close a new card could not be issued. They would not tell me if I would still be qualified for the 10% off groceries and gas they were running as a promotion for 3 months and I had used the card more frequently specifically for that reason.

Synchrony must hire the rudest and most unfriendly and uncaring customer service. They would not look further into the matter and just said to re-apply for a new card. This will most likely affect my credit score as well. I would stay away from cards that are backed by Synchrony Bank. I had worked my card up to Premier MasterCard rewards and had never since the card had been opened with a late payment, always on time or early.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Belk.com customer service stinks!!! Very inexperienced! Very non-professional!!! Very horrible!!! Representative keep placing me on hold and still did not resolve my issue!!! Hope I never have to deal with them again!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This was my first and last shopping on Belk.com. I ordered a product 5 quantity, total for 30$ and paid $8.95 for shipping. Till here all good. After few days received an email that 4 quantities will be canceled and one will be shipped for 6$ and still charged $8.95 shipping charges. Really... Who pays 9$ shipping for 6$ item? I called customer service and they said, "This order can’t be canceled and return the item once received." "What about my shipping charges and returned shipping charges?" There is no answer for that. They are just cheating the people. They are worst than eBay where you buy from various sellers, still eBay guarantees. The customer service staff is completely rude.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Belk?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

After two bad experiences shopping on Belk.com, I am officially no longer a Belk customer. First, I ordered a fancy laundry hamper about 6 months ago. It took a few weeks to arrive, thrown into a too-large box with no packaging, dirty and broken. I took it to the store where they were so amazed by its condition that a little group of employees gathered around to see. Nevertheless, they insisted that I ship it back at my own expense. No apologies, very unfriendly about the whole thing.

A few months later, I ordered a throw for Christmas for in-store pick-up. My fault that I missed the pick-up notice--it was in my Gmail "promotions" folder (which I rarely check). But the issue was that they charged me for it, despite a policy that customers aren't charged for merchandise they don't pick up. It took two painful months of repeated calls, chats, and emails to get a refund. They eventually admitted it was their error, but only after insisting that I was mistaken and being downright surly at times. I have been a lifetime customer, spent tens of thousands of dollars in that store, and they just lost me over a $38 throw. Go to Macy's!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I order a product from Belk.com and they sent me a similar but different product. The first time this happened I returned the item to a store because they want you to pay shipping to return by mail (even though it was their mistake). I reordered the item online and was again sent the same wrong item. I called their customer service back twice (first time got disconnected and rep never attempted to call me back even though she took down my contact info at beginning of call). I held for 40 minutes when I called back only to get an incompetent employee who could not help me at all or advise me what to do. He told me to give them 5 business days to research the matter and they would be back in touch with me. Guess what? They never got back in touch with me!

Also they never once apologized for the multiple errors or inconvenience (service reps or in store reps). Worst customer service I have experienced in a while! Lastly when I went online to leave a review on the product so that other customers didn't order it and have the same misfortune that I did, I submitted a review. Guess what? Belk refused to publish my review. Shame on you Belk!! You have lost a long time loyal customer. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I ordered my elderly father-in-law a shirt for Christmas - placing the order on December 15th. I received an email on the 20th saying the shirt was on its way then I got another email saying the order was delayed until December 28th. I contacted Belk and asked them to cancel the order. They claimed that the delay was not a back order but was a shipping delay but refused to explain what that meant. (Two weeks to ship?) I had another shirt on Amazon delivered for Christmas and the Belk shirt just showed up. I am not asking my elderly relative to return this shirt so I guess I will fight them on my credit card now.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Belk closed my Mom's card (customer for 15 years) due to not enough activity. She spends over $1000 or greater there a year and had a credit limit of $2500. They told her to fill out another application - she did and got a $300 limit. They told her she didn't have enough Credit Card experience. She is 78 and has plenty of experience with Belk and with other creditors. She closed her account for good and will be going to Dillard’s.

We both went to the South Park store November 26th. We shop at the higher end section. No one greeted us, asked if they could help us in the following areas: High end shoe section, Ralph Lauren, Michal Kors, Free People. Mercedes in the shoe section perpendicular to the high-end area DID ask if she could assist. We gave her all our shoes, and clothing sales. Between the 3 of us, she got over $1000 is sales. These store associates used to be FANTASTIC, not anymore. The new owners have made sure of that... No one is happy, including their customers. Headed to Dillard’s to open an account.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ordered an item that I was excited to have on my coffee bar for Christmas, I had bought some other matching piece that came fine but this one item kept coming broken. Every time I would call the minute I opened it and all Belk would do would send me a new one. That was fine after the first time but by the 4th time it was a little ridiculous! Not once were they sorry for the inconvenience. No refund of my money - nothing - just want to keep shipping me the same item.

I had asked that they pack it better as the reason it was breaking was it had no packing, nothing on it saying Fragile. I asked it be checked and signed off before left warehouse to make sure it was not leaving there like that. Nothing - kept showing up in a thin box with no packing around it. At the end of the day I am really disappointed as I did not want my MONEY back. I wanted the ITEM I ORDERED! I finally told them, "No more. Refund my money. I am done. This has been 4 times!" Just the lack of care in shipping and to even make it right with the customer is what is disappointing. We will see how hard now it is to get my money back as now I am told it has to be reviewed by supervisors and if I don't hear anything in a week to call back?!?! REALLY!!! Feel like this is going to be another joke!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Belk use to be my enjoyable place to shop. Now with the dishonesty with the coupons I will no longer be a fan and will warn anyone and every one of their dishonesty. For at least the last year Belk has not honored their coupons. Not one coupon has been honored that I have tried to use. I picked an item with a "Bonus Buy" sign so my coupons are worthless. Who does not shop for Bonus Buys! That is what we do...and then plan our expenses making sure we have the coupons to help. Quit sending out the worthless coupons if they cannot be used on over 99% of the items you sell. Save the trees... You are wasting them!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I am disappointed to find that you have to spend at least $75 dollars to redeem one $15 Belk buck. Belk needs to follow example of other retailers. If you earn them, you can spend them wherever you want as long as it in the time frame. So if you spend $300 dollars you may receive $60 in Belk bucks but have to spend another $300 to redeem them, ridiculous and worthless.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The Belk Rewards program is pretty worthless. It takes 1000 points to even earn a reward which is in the form of a coupon. So even though you receive $15 in "Belk Bucks", you have to spend $75 for the coupon to apply. It's the worst rewards program of any I have used. The Belk Rewards card is also a MasterCard that can be used anywhere, but why would anyone use it when other cards actually give you cash back for points? My advice is to use a different card and skip Belk.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased a Micheal Kors handbag on 11/14/18, 3 in stock at time of purchase. It has been 7 days and now Belk claims it is on backorder. They claim there is a 10-day wait on all back ordered purchases (per policy), which isn't found in the Belk online policy. Problem is you (the consumer) don't know it's back ordered until after you purchase an "in stock" item that Belk happens not to have. The Belk customer service number is a 3rd party "unaffiliated" organization. They make up policies that don't exist and argue with the consumer. People shouldn't have to deal with this mess at Christmas. After speaking to a "Manager" I was given a claim number for immediate cancellation. This "immediate" cancellation takes 48-72 hrs? Absolutely, nothing they claim makes any logical sense.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I met Valeria on my first-time walk into the store, she has an amazing personality. She was very helpful to choose the right product for me. She is also a great makeup artist. She has done an amazing job.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I ordered from Belk.com for the very first time about 2 weeks ago. I ordered an expensive (over $120) pair of boots. I waited and waited for just the order confirmation, which eventually did arrive a couple of days later. I waited for the shipping confirmation, which never came. What did arrive in my email, a full week later, was a notice that my order had been cancelled. No explanation, no timeline for when I could expect my money to be refunded, just a number for me to call with questions. Oh, yes I did call that number! I was told that the boots were out of stock...then why was I allowed to pay for them?!

The customer service person had no idea when I would receive a refund and was generally clueless about the entire situation. I had to be the one to inform the person that it plainly states that Belk does not take money from my account until the item actually ships, yet they took money from my account. Long story short, I did get the money back, but not before I waited 2 weeks. During the time this was all going on, I placed another order with Belk. 14 days. That’s how long I will wait for those items to arrive. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm done ordering from Belk.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I ordered 3 pairs of Rampage Booties one in each color. I wear an 8 1/2 so that what I ordered. I received the shoes only to find they don't fit...because the website says easy return & exchange. I called to exchange. But what it doesn't say is you can't exchange online purchases...wait what! How ridiculous is that. Then they tell you you have to pay to ship it back... Again not something mentioned on the website.

I called three times. 1st girl tells me I should have order my right size. Lol was she serious. 2nd associate apologizes tells me she will email me a free ship label. That's was now 9 days ago. The 3rd time I called I wanted someone to tell me exactly where to find this policy. Everyone keeps telling me about but she was unable to locate it but proceeded to tell me it is their policy.

I sent two emails that have yet to be responded to. I tried to do a review on the website. They didn't like what I had to say (exactly what I stated here). They responded quickly saying they can't publish my review. Didn't even know companies could do that. I strongly feel they tricked me because this info was NOT mentioned under the RETURNS & EXCHANGE POLICY and because it was not mentioned I purchased thinking it would be simply a pie like every other online purchase. What really bugs me is I went back and did the MYFIT to find my perfect fit and it said 8 1/2 lol. So now how do I handle this? DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I placed my order on a Monday, received email stating order was in progress. Next day no email regarding shipping so I just sent an email asking how long it takes to ship? 24 hours later no response to email so I call customer service asking if they could tell me when my order will ship? She responds with, "Sorry I don't know for sure but should be today???" Next day still no email response or notice of shipment. Call customer service again, they still cannot tell me when my order will ship, apparently they have no communication with the warehouse? Frustrated I ask for them to "Cancel my order since you cannot tell me when it will go out." Can't cancel either, you have a 15 minute window after order is placed to cancel??

Does this make any sense with today's technology? I know Amazon is really good but why do you have a customer service department that cannot service the customer? Even more frustrated I let my husband handle it since he has a way with words. He tells me he is convinced the order is canceled so that I can place my new order with a reputable store and ended up being cheaper. Well today I get an email my order shipped??? Had I read reviews on Belk prior to ordering I would have never considered this store. Seriously do not know how you are in business. Worst Customer Service and doesn't deserve any stars!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Tried to order a pair of pants for store pick-up. They took the order then canceled it unilaterally. Tried to call them and they placed another order in the wrong color. Called them back and they said that they couldn't just change the order - so they needed a new order and would overnight it to me. Nothing! No confirmations and no package. Belk has done this to me before. That is, they take orders for things they don't have. They don't call you to explain why, give you options or otherwise assist. You are SCREWED!!! My advice is to stay away from Belk period. Saw they went out of business at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta probably with good reason. Would give them negative stars if possible. Worst customer service EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had automatic payments set up and they were paid monthly. I also made bi-weekly payments online as I wanted to pay the balance off quickly. They run your credit multiple times even when your account is in good standing and you have available credit. This makes no sense to me! They lower your credit limit without notice (after the fact is not acceptable notice). Then unbeknownst to me after my account was at a zero balance they closed the account. This lowered my credit score 20+ points. I have tried to get answers and the customer service is rude and unprofessional. The response was that they have a right to check my credit anytime as long as the account is open and that “you should read your credit contract”. I do not recommend this credit company or Belk store credit to anyone if you want to keep your credit in good standing.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I recently lost my husband. I returned some items to Belk for a refund and received a credit on my card. Two months later instead of leaving the credit on my card they sent a refund check in my late husband's name. They are refusing to reissue the check in my name and/or reinstate the credit. The argument is that even though my name is on the account he was the primary. After talking to 3 different people, one a supervisor, the issue is unresolved. In the end I told them I would shred the check, to close the account, do not open a new account in my name, as I no longer wish to do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I ordered 3 times from Belk. The first time, I got a color variation of what I ordered. Not the correct color but the correct item. I returned it. The second time, I got another variation of what I ordered. Not correct but similar. Returned it. The third time, I must have received someone else’s previously returned merchandise. It was a white shirt with either chocolate splatter or blood splatter on the front of the shirt. There was another greenish stain that someone had tried to blot out. It was faded but the fabric was stiff and bumpy over the greenish stain. What’s wrong with these people? Does Belk just not care about their reputation?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I ordered Bandolino Mandie Petite jeans, Size 12 Short in Cabernet Fig and they arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I checked my Visa CC balance and activity, and there were no duplicate or extra charges whatsoever. I'm expecting the second half of my order in a day or two (same pants, in green) and expect them to arrive in perfect shape as well.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I placed 15 Belk orders on 08/03/2018. The total amount is around $1,000, and I did not receive any one of them. Here are the order numbers: **. I contacted Belk many times, every agent gives me a different response. They created at least 3 case number for me, and nothing happened. I have to keep contacting, so they solved 12 orders and ignored the rest 3. Right now they asked me to contact PayPal. I did, but Belk refused to refund to PayPal, and they even provided the tracking number of OTHER replaced order to PayPal. I can't believe Belk has such a horrible customer service! NEVER shopping in Belk!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

A couple of months ago we were given a new Belk credit card, apparently Belk moved their CC processing from Visa to MC. During the transition we were sent a monthly bill where we owed about $200. Being someone who doesn't like to have outstanding credit card balances I went ahead and paid the full amount due about 2 weeks prior to the due date. Well, the payment was posted to the older account (the one tied to the older credit card). In the meantime we are getting letters and notices from the underlying bank (Synchrony Bank) stating we are past due!

We have spoken with Belk 4 times and they refuse to move the money from one account to the other! All they say is that it is a process that may take 30 days! This situation is totally unbelievable! The issue can be fixed with a click of the keyboard! We are totally disgusted with Belk. I wrote their CFO yesterday asking if he could get this done. We will never shop at Belk again! They were bought out recently by a private equity firm out of NY. They are having a difficult time and I can see why! The way they treat their customers is disgusting! Instead of correcting the posting of our payment they would rather see our credit impacted by some bank they scooped up to handle their cards. Don't deal with these people! They could care less about customer relations. Just don't do it. Let them know that without respect for the customer they are history.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Beware if you use a debit card. They will take out a "preauthorization for the full amount" and then as it is shipped will debit your account the amount shipped. The problem is it takes 3-5 days to get the preauthorization back in your account so in actuality you are being billed twice and then credited back. Make sure you have enough money in your account!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have left only positive reviews on experiences with other companies, but I feel strong enough about my negative experience that I needed to write a review. I had the same experience as a customer below for billing me twice, then it took 5 days and two phone calls to get it off my account. Second, their return policy is crap if THEY DO send the wrong items, or you simply need to return. This is not a company that can survive in the internet shopping age. Everything added up to a poorly run or staffed company in all areas. I will never, ever go to their site again even if the prices are better, because it's not worth it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I hope I could give ZERO star. Two of my orders were cancelled without any reason. They did not even let you know that your orders were cancelled. This company is just collecting your credit card information. It is very dangerous! Be very careful of this company!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

Ordered two shirts. They billed me multiple times for the same two items. They sent the wrong item. They did refund my ship charges and sent a return label but after having the two items in their possession for weeks now, I do not have a refund for the shirts. Ordered two shirts on the website. They billed me once, they billed me twice, they billed me a third time I called to complain. They fixed it and instead billed me for half the order twice, once for $42.85, once for $42.84. They sent me a package, it did not have the item pictured on their website. I was a little pissed. Got a nice supervisor who refunded my $24.95 for expedited shipping (because they shipped the wrong shirts) and then sent me a mailing label to my email so I could return the shirts without paying to return the incorrect item.

And by this time, I was done with Belks so I sent the items back and it has been weeks, when I called several weeks ago I got one story, then I called the next week, I got another story, when I called earlier this week and spoke to a VERY, VERY young sounding man who was not able to help me because I was upset and I was not polite enough for him. I called tonight to be told they sent me two more shirts (oh, really, and on what planet did they think I wanted two more shirts) and so they are not refunding my money because I have two new shirts... let me make this perfectly clear... I DID NOT RECEIVE ANOTHER PACKAGE FROM BELKS, I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER PACKAGE FROM BELKS, I do not want anything from belks except my money back.

It has been weeks & weeks & weeks. It's $60, they can't possibly need my money that badly. I want my money back. Their people are inept, slow, great at giving lip service and hope you just go away. It has been weeks. I want my money back and for the trouble you are giving me, I would like to respond by posting five reviews about your store for every day I get no response.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I saw that there were several reports of problems with orders from the Belk.com website, but thought the experience would be better if I ordered from the website and picked it up at the local Belk store. This saved both shipping and the time I would have spent hunting down the item in the store. At first, I thought this would be easy. I received a confirmation email; and later, the email that my purchase was ready for pickup. When I arrived at Belk, I asked the woman at customer service where to go. She thought the pickup desk was on the third floor, but when I said that most stores have pickup close to an entrance, she called and found that it was, indeed near one of the other entrances.

I went to the designated spot, and there it was: a desk with a large sign that said Online Order Pickup but there was nobody there. I waited a while, and then sat on a nearby chair, prepared to snag any Belk associate who ventured near. It never happened. I finally called the store. The desk had no extension, so I tried calling a manager. No answer. I left a message to send someone to Online Pickup. Finally, I decided that the only option was find my purchase myself. I did find it on a shelf with other pickup items in an area in the back where I probably should not have been. I took the bag with my name on it and left the store. The next day, I received an email that my order had been picked up. I wonder how they thought that happened.

Belk Company Information