1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

85 Belk Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

My checking account has 2 pending charges against my available balance. 1 charge is for the entire order amount and 1 charge is for one item that shipped separately. I have a reference number I received from a customer service rep (**) in regards to this matter, but the additional charge (authorization) still remains. I need this matter cleared before any additional charges I'm expecting to clear my account come through. I can't wait 2-3 business days for the incorrect authorization to come off.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I purchased several items in one order. The items came in too small. When I called to find out how to return they say to me you have to pay to send them back. Okay upset because who still makes the consumer pay for returns. I wanted to reorder one of the items. They raised the price from 49.99 to 130.00 within days because they were having a buy 2 get one free sale. Still does not equal to the 150 it would have cost to buy 3. My return has been with them now for 3 days. I call to see where my credit is. They tell me it will take up to 15 days for them to process my credit. WHAT?! Why? You make me pay to return then take 15 days to credit me. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN!!!

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I opened an account with them a while ago. I have always paid off my credit card early. Never making a late payment of any kind. They have closed my account. Said that I had too many credit cards open and due to something that happened years ago that they have made the decision to close my account. I can say that I will never spend another dime of my money in Belk's. Personally if they don't want someone to have a credit card then don't allow them to get one. Don't let them open an account and then close it without telling them.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Last week Belk had an amazing sale on their Laredo and Dingo boots. I excitedly ordered many, many pair for myself and as gifts for others. The online experience was horrible because as I was trying to check out I kept getting messages that some items in my cart were no longer available. Knowing how amazing this sale was I wasn't surprised that things were selling out so fast so I was understanding and kept going through the process and updating my cart. After finally getting everything straight and assuring that all the items in my cart were still available, I finished the checkout process and got the email confirming my order. After a week of not receiving my packages I check online just to find that my order had been cancelled.

I call customer service to find out the reason for the cancellation and was advised that the items were out of stock. If said items were out of stock then they shouldn't have been sold to me. I ordered 12 or 13 pair of shoes and EVERY SINGLE PAIR was out of stock?! Additionally, only after calling customer service did I receive emails advising me of the cancellation. Upon reading these reviews I see that several others had a similar experience and were given various different excuses than what I'd received. Extremely disappointed in Belk. I understand that losing my business will not affect them but if they continue to conduct business in this manner they will continue to lose customers. I will never purchase from Belk again.

Resolution response: April 10, 2018

I just wanted to let everyone know that Belk has went out of their way to make this right! They are giving gift cards and percentages off the next order and so on! I have been a long time customer of Belk until the boot deal. After all they have done to make this right, I will be back shopping there again!!

Thank You Belk!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Belk put a sale on Laredo boots and dingo boots. I was on the site when the boots went on sale so I hurried and filled my cart full. A couple of pair I ordered was sold out so I immediately got an email after I place order and said they were out but I still had several pair that was being processed for delivery. A week went by so I call Belk. They tell me oh a shipping label has been created and I should receive my boots this week. I talked to several customer service on the days before and they all have had several stories as to why my boots were running late on shipping. Today I got cancelation notices on every pair I ordered. They said it was a system glitch and they could not sell those boots at that price! This isn’t the first time or the second time that this has happened. THEY DO NOT WANT TO HONOR THEIR PRICES!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Belk?

Original review: March 18, 2018

I placed a order for Laredo & Dingo boots they had on sale in a flash sale. Bought several pairs checked out and received confirmation of order on the 15th. I went online to check order and said cancelled. So I called customer service and was given 2 different excuses as why the order was cancelled. 1 They’re not available (they were when I ordered them). 2 It was a site error (yea maybe you disproved them). Then I was offered a $20 credit and 20% off next order (No thanks. Don't like how you do business) then asked to speak to supervisor. She said the vendor cancelled their order. Ok? Which one is it told her seems like your company just wanted a bunch of people’s information and credit card #s.

She then said she would have a senior supervisor contact me within 24 hr. Waited no one called. I called back and was supposedly connected to senior supervisor which was extremely rude. He told me no one was getting their boots. All orders was cancelled. Asked to speak to his supervisor. He said I would have to call corporate & hung up on me. Didn't give me the number or anything. So called them still waiting for a response back. They had pulled all the boots offline but now they are starting to show back up at a lot higher price. They just don't want to honor their price. Will not ever order from here again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

My first purchase with Belk horrible, they sent me two different sizes in shoes and told me I have to wait for 4 to 5 days to get a return label to return for a replacement or my money back. Their customer is rude and unprofessional. I would never recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware.

Original review: March 15, 2018

It is super sad for me. I bought lots of useless Estée Lauder products so that I could buy 2 Estée Lauder boxes (60dollars). However, Belk sent me everything except my kits. What's worse, they did not provide prepaid label, so it meant I had to pay extra mailing postage to return these "Rubbishes". Now I do not dare return them, because they may not pay money back to me. They are neither responsible nor efficient. I will never buy anything from Belk.

Original review: March 8, 2018

After having a Belk Rewards Card for several years and receiving statements in the mail every month Belk changed my account to paperless billing without asking or receiving confirmation that I had been notified of the this change. For the first time ever I was late on paying my balance because I count on receiving the statement to know when I have a balance. I do not use or make purchases on the Belk Rewards card every month and when you have no balance they do not send you a statement therefore I assumed I had no balance that month when I didn't receive a statement. I do not read all the emails because your email inbox is always bombarded with ads for sales and such but just happened to read one stating my account was past due. When I tried calling customer service to speak to someone all you get is an automated answering service that never allows you to request to speak to a person.

To me this is very poor customer service. When I told the automated answering service that I wanted to cancel my Belk Rewards Card I was sure that a person would come on the line to inquire why. Nope. This was all done through an automated process as well. This speaks volumes about this company and how they feel about their customers. Since the company was taken over by Sycamore Partners Equity Firm, Belk is no longer a family friendly family run company. It's just another big corporation out to make as much money in as short a period of time as it can and then will probably be closing up the doors like Kmart, Roses, and JC Penney. I will take my business to Macy's or any other department store besides Belk from now on since I know just how Belk values their loyal customers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I will not purchase anything else online from Belk.com. I ordered 3 lady's tops, and paid $9.50 for shipping. In less than 45 minutes, I realized I had ordered the wrong size. I called immediately and was told by a Customer Service Manager that the order could NOT be changed, nor could it be canceled. So my order will arrived in the wrong size. It was an expensive lesson.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Ordered a pair of $60 men's slippers online on 2/6. On 2/12, received an email saying they cancelled the order. These were to be part of a birthday present. Since we were on a cruise, I didn't get the email until we got back. I called Belk and cust serv said it was cancelled because they were out of stock. What? They appeared to be in stock when I placed the order, and it's still showing as available today. Doesn't make any sense! Belk needs to have a system in place that shows an item to be out of stock when you order it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018 Belk doesn't stock much of their on-line sale merchandise, so after visiting my local store I had to go home and order the $14.99 slippers on-line. Because Belk does not offer free ship-to-store, they charged me $9.50 shipping fee. FOUR DAYS LATER they shipped my order via FEDEX Smartpost. From a Belk store

only 30 MILES AWAY! They used two carriers to cover 30 miles, took seven days and charged me $9.50 for their incompetence! I'll never shop BELK again!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I still haven't received my refund over a month later. But they did charge my account twice by mistake. I've had two orders with them, and three problems. And, they can't cancel anything ever, so they say. Even an item that they couldn't find in any warehouse. I had to wait until THEY canceled it. Which is like two weeks later.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been a Belk customer for a few years. The lack of online billing information is super concerning. When a purchase is made there is very little if any information regarding the item so it is very difficult for me, the consumer, to know what I am being charged for, etc. The same goes for returns. When I have made a payment, it is so difficult to know what is what. The only way to shop with Belk is to pay the balance in full and then wait to make sure the amount is applied properly, etc. Whoever is managing Belk needs a wake up call. It is a shame because their merchandise is great but all other aspects of Belk need revamping and change.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Customer Service Rep literally said "I'm just not in the mood for this today." HORRIBLE! I will never do business with Belk again. I was not trying to do business with them this time. Somehow their system placed an order for something I got 2 years ago. Too bad there isn't a Zero Star rating.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

If I could give zero stars I would. First of all the shoes were not as described at all. Secondly they were dirty and filthy on the bottom. This is my first and my very last experience ever shopping at this selfie store online.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Would give zero stars if it were allowed! Ordered a gift on 12/9, and it has yet to ship on 12/20. Was assured it would ship by 12/18. Yet you can order from Kohl's and get the item in one business day. Thanks for making people's Christmas suck! I now have no gift for my niece to open, and I am sure it will not make it here by Christmas at this point. Called yesterday and was on the line for 42 minutes. Never spoke to a manager and my item did not ship again on yesterday as promised. I used to do a great deal of business with Belk, but they have now lost my family's business for good! Worst customer service ever!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Belk had a Black Friday promotion, buy $35 from Belk.com and get an Estee Lauder Blockbuster package for $65. I made the order, it was confirmed. Then they shipped the $35 item and canceled the promotion package. I called and they give me no explanation. Basically they used the promotion to sell their items. Don't buy from Belk, you can't trust them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

CS Reps are all misinformed. Can't get a manager on the line. On hold forever. Poorest customer service I have experienced in years. Signed up for "first time" email coupon code-24 hour wait in email. Called and asked if I were to make the purchase now as item was on sale, upon receipt of email coupon, could I call and have it applied after purchase. CSR said yes. This day and age, what company wouldn't do that for a customer? So naturally I believed him. Made the purchase. Eight hours later, got the email coupon. Called to have it applied. Told it can't be done. They actually recommended I return the purchase (at my expense) and repurchase with the coupon.

Who operates like this today? What a farce. What a total backwards way of running a business. How difficult could it be to just apply the coupon? Anywhere you shop today, they take expired coupons, price match, price adjust after purchase (over the phone no less). I mean today's companies bend over backwards for their customers. This is not an unreasonable request. I will never shop with them again. They need to train their reps and prioritize the customers.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

This company is a joke - They check your credit score "periodically" and if they don't like what they see, they LOWER your credit limit with them. They don't care about your credit history with them, never late, never even been close to the limit, but they will lower it down to almost nothing and there is NOTHING you can do about it, except, cut it up and throw it away, what an insult. Good riddance morons. I will gladly give someone else my money. Don't waste your time with this kind of stupidity.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My card was hacked and used at this store. I called them, told them it was not me that made these charges. It was my card and they still would not cancel order. In fact they shipped it anyway. Are they part of this scam? Reporting them to Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Buyer beware when purchasing from the fine jewelry department online at Belk. I had seen a ring in the store and later decided I wanted to purchase the ring which was now not available in the store. The saleswoman ordered the ring and had it sent to my home. I'm assuming this allowed her a commission versus me purchasing online from home. The ring arrived and the stone & ring was larger than I am comfortable with. I saved all the paperwork, original box, tag, etc. and went back to the store within two weeks of purchase. Was expecting to return ring & credit my Belk card. I was told there was another tiny light blue tag attached to the ring with small print "cannot be returned without this tag" (he showed me one from another piece of jewelry on display). I returned home to look in my house and could not locate the tag. I am not even sure it came with tag. I only remember a white tag.

Now I am stuck with the ring I do not like. If this is their policy they should have a large warning on the jewelry box itself. The ring box was shipped in a much larger box. The item was still available online, etc. Lesson learned and will not purchase again. I understand they are trying to prevent fraud, etc but a tiny little tag- and I'm not even certain came with the ring. Again, I had all the other original tags. Why would I have not saved it. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I placed an online order at 6:17 AM CST on 10-5-17. Received confirmation e-mail with # to call for cancellation. Called at 7:07 AM CST on 10-5-17 to cancel. Was told they couldn't cancel because I didn't call to cancel within 15 minutes of placing the order. Belk online supervisor said notice should be on order confirmation. It wasn't there or in the e-mail notification I received. Asked supervisor to tell me where the notice was and she couldn't tell me. Only that order could not be canceled and would be sent in 5-7 business days (couldn't change shipping method so I could receive sooner) and she would send me a free return label.

Now my $99.95 will be tied up in my bank account until I receive order AND they receive it once I send it back. I have looked at Belk's website and there is NO NOTICE that you have 15 minutes from time online order is placed to cancel. NO NOTICE ANYWHERE ON WEBSITE, ORDER CONFIRMATION OR E-MAIL CONFIRMATION. I have never, ever heard of a company that gives you 15 minutes to cancel an online order. VERY DISSATISFIED.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Belk is THE number one, worst business in America... Hands down! No questions! Purchased a Clinique Serum for over $100 through a coupon offer obtained through a new Belk Credit Card. Card application was a nightmare online and did not receive promised coupon with approval. Called and placed order by phone. Received poorly packaged item, which spilled all in the box. Returned for a replacement, replacement was poorly packaged and spilled also so was promised a refund in 3 to 5 days. It has been a month and they keep giving me excuses and promising a resolution.

Second order attempt online with Belk CC. Belk online system would not accept my address after several attempts. Got my cc locked out and could not unlock as Synchrony bank was closed on Sunday. Called customer service. Was told not to worry, to use another cc and was promised they would refund $10 of Belk dollars. Received an email later telling me they could not honor 'cause I did not use my Belk cc... **? Belk are crooks, liars, and do not give a damn about their customers or the items they sell, just want to bamboozle people into buying items from them and then, they will get you really good. Mess you up as much as they can, and move on to the next dumb head that falls for their trickery! PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM BELK. Never again will I buy anything from these crooks!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Love shopping at Belk. Excellent products and I run into great deals all the time. 5-star customer service at Mayberry Mall in Mt. Airy. Only complaint is that they do not carry much in the way of women's plus size like they used to.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I purchased a suit top and bottom from Belk.com at 6:30 PM. It showed up on my bank account at $151.03. At 8:42 PM the same day an additional charge of $221.56 showed up on my bank account. The next morning I called Belk.com and explained my situation. The lady told me that this call happens all the time but their policy is to charge full price for the item and then charge the sales price and upon shipment I shall receive my full price back of 221 around 5 to 7 business days.

I told her that I did not authorize a $221 payment to Belk. She said it was in the FinePrint under the link terms and conditions. Of course this is going to be in a size 2 font on their website where nobody looks. I will never ever do business with Belk again considering the fact my $151 purchase became a $372 purchase. Had I not had the money in there to cover the charge, it would have overdrawn my account. This is a very very backwards way to sell items. I have been shopping online for years and I have never came across this type of issue. I do not recommend Belk or any of their products especially when purchasing online. I have contacted my bank and open up a fraud claim. The bank has now returned my money and is filing a claim against Belk.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Paige at the Turkey Creek housewares was very rude and completely unhelpful. There was a item on a 50 percent off rack in housewares. When me and my wife took it to the register she charged me 100 percent and would not give the discount. I have shopped at Belk's for 40 years and never been so humiliated. I have walked thru 3 mails with the stores boarded up, and almost empty, Bill Belk should be told how rude his employees are and how little they care for lifetime customers.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I ordered some MAC cosmetic products online and was charged triple the price. I called Belk and that was a waste of time. Called American Express and they refused to pay Belk the 2 bogus charges. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 7, 2017

On April 10th 2017, I ordered two gifts to be sent to the same exact address. Both were to arrive by April 18, 2017. One did and the other still has not. Today is May 6th. I have called Belk, no less than four times. The first time, I was told the post office had it. I called the post office that day, and they did not have it. The second time, I was told that it never got shipped and that they could resend it. The third time, I called they supposedly put a claim ticket on it and sent it to corporate and the would call me in two days. I waited three days, and called back yet again. The fourth time, I was told corporate was still reviewing it and as of today whoever was supposed to call me has not.

In the meantime, I called my credit card company to see if they could help me, they discovered that the one item was never processed to begin with eventhough I still more than enough available balance on my card. The fact that no one from the Belk's has bothered to acknowledge that they messed up, or even apologize has lost them a 30 year customer.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I returned an order using the return label included in my order. I contacted customer service to see if Belk received it- turns out there was an additional label that needed to be paid for. Nowhere did it say this on the packing slip or return form. Every other place I have returned an order to that says attach included label and return, was indeed what it meant. Confused by the customer service, I have essentially just lost an order in the mail!? I have returned things I've ordered online from other stores before, and I read the instructions included with my order many times to ensure I was returning correctly. They were of no help when I contacted customer service, they need to update their instructions so people aren't losing orders in the mail! I planned to reorder the shoes I was returning in a larger size, but not anymore.

Belk Company Information