1.22/5
  • 1 star
Based on 64 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

66 Belk Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

This company is a joke - They check your credit score "periodically" and if they don't like what they see, they LOWER your credit limit with them. They don't care about your credit history with them, never late, never even been close to the limit, but they will lower it down to almost nothing and there is NOTHING you can do about it, except, cut it up and throw it away, what an insult. Good riddance morons. I will gladly give someone else my money. Don't waste your time with this kind of stupidity.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My card was hacked and used at this store. I called them, told them it was not me that made these charges. It was my card and they still would not cancel order. In fact they shipped it anyway. Are they part of this scam? Reporting them to Better Business Bureau.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Buyer beware when purchasing from the fine jewelry department online at Belk. I had seen a ring in the store and later decided I wanted to purchase the ring which was now not available in the store. The saleswoman ordered the ring and had it sent to my home. I'm assuming this allowed her a commission versus me purchasing online from home. The ring arrived and the stone & ring was larger than I am comfortable with. I saved all the paperwork, original box, tag, etc. and went back to the store within two weeks of purchase. Was expecting to return ring & credit my Belk card. I was told there was another tiny light blue tag attached to the ring with small print "cannot be returned without this tag" (he showed me one from another piece of jewelry on display). I returned home to look in my house and could not locate the tag. I am not even sure it came with tag. I only remember a white tag.

Now I am stuck with the ring I do not like. If this is their policy they should have a large warning on the jewelry box itself. The ring box was shipped in a much larger box. The item was still available online, etc. Lesson learned and will not purchase again. I understand they are trying to prevent fraud, etc but a tiny little tag- and I'm not even certain came with the ring. Again, I had all the other original tags. Why would I have not saved it. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I placed an online order at 6:17 AM CST on 10-5-17. Received confirmation e-mail with # to call for cancellation. Called at 7:07 AM CST on 10-5-17 to cancel. Was told they couldn't cancel because I didn't call to cancel within 15 minutes of placing the order. Belk online supervisor said notice should be on order confirmation. It wasn't there or in the e-mail notification I received. Asked supervisor to tell me where the notice was and she couldn't tell me. Only that order could not be canceled and would be sent in 5-7 business days (couldn't change shipping method so I could receive sooner) and she would send me a free return label.

Now my $99.95 will be tied up in my bank account until I receive order AND they receive it once I send it back. I have looked at Belk's website and there is NO NOTICE that you have 15 minutes from time online order is placed to cancel. NO NOTICE ANYWHERE ON WEBSITE, ORDER CONFIRMATION OR E-MAIL CONFIRMATION. I have never, ever heard of a company that gives you 15 minutes to cancel an online order. VERY DISSATISFIED.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Belk is THE number one, worst business in America... Hands down! No questions! Purchased a Clinique Serum for over $100 through a coupon offer obtained through a new Belk Credit Card. Card application was a nightmare online and did not receive promised coupon with approval. Called and placed order by phone. Received poorly packaged item, which spilled all in the box. Returned for a replacement, replacement was poorly packaged and spilled also so was promised a refund in 3 to 5 days. It has been a month and they keep giving me excuses and promising a resolution.

Second order attempt online with Belk CC. Belk online system would not accept my address after several attempts. Got my cc locked out and could not unlock as Synchrony bank was closed on Sunday. Called customer service. Was told not to worry, to use another cc and was promised they would refund $10 of Belk dollars. Received an email later telling me they could not honor 'cause I did not use my Belk cc... **? Belk are crooks, liars, and do not give a damn about their customers or the items they sell, just want to bamboozle people into buying items from them and then, they will get you really good. Mess you up as much as they can, and move on to the next dumb head that falls for their trickery! PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM BELK. Never again will I buy anything from these crooks!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Belk?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Love shopping at Belk. Excellent products and I run into great deals all the time. 5-star customer service at Mayberry Mall in Mt. Airy. Only complaint is that they do not carry much in the way of women's plus size like they used to.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I purchased a suit top and bottom from Belk.com at 6:30 PM. It showed up on my bank account at $151.03. At 8:42 PM the same day an additional charge of $221.56 showed up on my bank account. The next morning I called Belk.com and explained my situation. The lady told me that this call happens all the time but their policy is to charge full price for the item and then charge the sales price and upon shipment I shall receive my full price back of 221 around 5 to 7 business days.

I told her that I did not authorize a $221 payment to Belk. She said it was in the FinePrint under the link terms and conditions. Of course this is going to be in a size 2 font on their website where nobody looks. I will never ever do business with Belk again considering the fact my $151 purchase became a $372 purchase. Had I not had the money in there to cover the charge, it would have overdrawn my account. This is a very very backwards way to sell items. I have been shopping online for years and I have never came across this type of issue. I do not recommend Belk or any of their products especially when purchasing online. I have contacted my bank and open up a fraud claim. The bank has now returned my money and is filing a claim against Belk.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Paige at the Turkey Creek housewares was very rude and completely unhelpful. There was a item on a 50 percent off rack in housewares. When me and my wife took it to the register she charged me 100 percent and would not give the discount. I have shopped at Belk's for 40 years and never been so humiliated. I have walked thru 3 mails with the stores boarded up, and almost empty, Bill Belk should be told how rude his employees are and how little they care for lifetime customers.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I ordered some MAC cosmetic products online and was charged triple the price. I called Belk and that was a waste of time. Called American Express and they refused to pay Belk the 2 bogus charges. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 7, 2017

On April 10th 2017, I ordered two gifts to be sent to the same exact address. Both were to arrive by April 18, 2017. One did and the other still has not. Today is May 6th. I have called Belk, no less than four times. The first time, I was told the post office had it. I called the post office that day, and they did not have it. The second time, I was told that it never got shipped and that they could resend it. The third time, I called they supposedly put a claim ticket on it and sent it to corporate and the would call me in two days. I waited three days, and called back yet again. The fourth time, I was told corporate was still reviewing it and as of today whoever was supposed to call me has not.

In the meantime, I called my credit card company to see if they could help me, they discovered that the one item was never processed to begin with eventhough I still more than enough available balance on my card. The fact that no one from the Belk's has bothered to acknowledge that they messed up, or even apologize has lost them a 30 year customer.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I returned an order using the return label included in my order. I contacted customer service to see if Belk received it- turns out there was an additional label that needed to be paid for. Nowhere did it say this on the packing slip or return form. Every other place I have returned an order to that says attach included label and return, was indeed what it meant. Confused by the customer service, I have essentially just lost an order in the mail!? I have returned things I've ordered online from other stores before, and I read the instructions included with my order many times to ensure I was returning correctly. They were of no help when I contacted customer service, they need to update their instructions so people aren't losing orders in the mail! I planned to reorder the shoes I was returning in a larger size, but not anymore.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I ordered 13 clothing items and kept only 2 - 2 of which I was semi-happy with. None of the items look like what they do online. The clothing is much larger than the size I ordered. When I complained to customer service, my return shipping was not reimbursed nor was there any empathy in the rep's voice. I was offered a 10% off coupon my next order...an order that I will never be placing.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Ordered Laredo cowboy boots that were on sale on 3/17/17. Got an email stating that my order was canceled on 3/20/17 because items were no longer available. They were "available" when I placed my order!! All of my friends are getting these emails from Belk as well. This is completely unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

It all began when I was with a friend, I found a really pretty dress and it was $100. With the discount the card offered me I paid $51. So, the first month payment goes around, I paid $25 the 24th. The second month comes around for the next payment of $25 which is nearly my complete purchase. Then I read it says another late fee. I was on time paying it. I called and the late fee got lifted. Then the third month comes around, I get another late fee third time. I get a late fee when I've been paying on time but this time it came with a letter saying "Because I was not paying my payments on time, my spending privileges will be discontinued."

I called customer service. At this rate, my balance was over $100. I asked "Why in the world am I getting charged late fees when I'm not late at all?" The nice gentleman who dealt with me told me that it could be my account and to give him the information and try a payment to see if it goes through. It did. It was a very same info I did on the last two. So, on top of having to pay 49$ by tomorrow while I already paid 37$ to get back my spending privileges at Belk. All of this over a $51 dress, I am spending money that I'm not even using on the card but no clothes a show for it.

I advise anyone who like having money in their account to not get a belk card. This system is flawed will mess up your account number. You'll be stuck like me paying $200 over a $51 dress due to their lack of automated system a processing payments to dodge a $10 fee with a customer service agent, when really it shouldn't be charged to talk to a person for a payment.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I went to the Mall of Georgia - Buford, GA. today shopping for booties. After walking the entire mall, I came back to Belk to make my purchase (the booties I had found wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I decided to buy anyway). While looking one last time I found a pair of Lucky Brand just like I wanted that had been misplaced. Excited, I tried them on and they fit perfectly, but there was damage to one boot.

I ask the customer service lady about an extra discount and she said she'd have to check, 15 mins. later, I'm still waiting for her to return. I finally decided to just go ahead and pay for them, when another customer service person comes to the counter and ask if everyone was being waited on, I was at the counter, next in line and she starts with the person behind me!!! Completely ignoring the fact that I'm standing right there!!! So, I put the boots on the counter and walked out, enough is enough. Belk has always been my favorite go to place, not so sure after today. And one more thing, I drove 60+ miles one way to get to this store!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I placed an online order for a total of $67.54 on 1/1/2017. I purchased the items using my Visa charge card. My charge card account immediately showed the pending transaction for my purchase. However, I just saw that today Belk had placed another pending transaction for $30.50. I thought it was a fraud issue. However, before disputing the charge I sent a chat request to Belk.

I explained the situation and received a response from Harley. She said that once the items ship I will be refunded the second pending charge for $30.50. I wanted to know why this would ever be their process. They have held the purchase amount of $67.54. When I tried to get a better explanation she responded with "Like I said you will get the second chargeback." It is a horrible practice. They would just make up some amount and take other charges from my account. I will never ever order from Belk again. I wonder what happens if someone never realizes they just go in and hold additional funds. The "canned" responses from Harley made it obvious they receive a lot of complaints about this. I have never given a review for any experience or item purchased. But I would not want someone to have this same horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I went in to make a purchase using a gift card and my debit card. The associate lacked the knowledge to perform the transaction. She tried to perform the transaction and ran the gift card through and when it came to me using the debit card she did not know how to do both, so she voided the transaction and tried to perform again. It didn't work. So she call the card company and found out the transaction is pending in Belk's system and there's nothing anyone can do about it until the funds are released to be returned to the card, that's if the transaction was actually voided. I would have to wait up to 7 days to see if the money is returned to the card.

The associate asked me if I would like to use my debit card to continue with the purchase as if I would after dealing the whole ordeal for at least an hour. I would not give them one more dime! I then had to request some type of proof that the transaction was cancelled, couldn't trust their word. Very disappointed with service!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I have shopped Belk's ever since they opened in McKinney. Up to this time, it has been a delightful experience. The new manager has totally ruined the Petite Department. It is the petite section and everything is so high that it is impossible to locate or shop the clothing. We are not 6 ft. high or we would not be in the petite section. It is a big mess as nothing is put together and my fellow shoppers all agreed that the store has lost so much character that we have enjoyed in the past. I am so sorry you have let this store go as think you will lose a good deal of business. There are other stores but hate to see Belk lose out and become Wal-Mart type of store.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

This Christmas I decided the bulk of my shopping online. I also decided not to use a single credit card and pay interest to Capital One or Amex etc. I used my bank debit card and made a purchase on Black Friday and it purchased and shipped just fine. Two weeks later an additional order that I placed on Belk.com was a simple and easy proccess; so I thought. I see the hold on my bank account for the 120 dollars and think no problem. I then get an shipping notice about 48 hours later and the next day I see an additional pending charge for 120 dollars. I call customer service and get the same answer that it seems many other shopper have gotten. The whole double hold/ship thing. It happy about it but no major deal; I'm not Bill Gates but I have extra money I keep as a cushion on credit cards should I need them.

I was told by some rep who was in a super hurry to get off the phone that one item was going to ship later and that I would only be charged for 105 and they would charge me for the last item when it ships. So the holds fall off and a 105 dollars clear my account. I wake up this am and I have another 120 dollar hold on my account. I call customer service and I get the same runaround that they must read from a script and per the customer service rep this was normal, ahh it was my banks fault not Belk's, and it's Saturday so no manger is available to speak with me. I guess she ran out of script because all she could say was to read the terms and condition on the website.

Then my wife got involved and called up there. She is real sweetheart but she only had two settings. Sweetheart or Mrs. Hyde, wow she got to a manager in less than 45 seconds. He kelp telling us it was only a temp hold and I would only be charged when the item shipped. That they have no record of the "duplicate hold" and that it was the bank that placed the hold. Well that's where they stepping the landmine. He was adamant that I had been charged for anything yet. It would have the above mentioned actual charge of 104ish and then be charged for the last item when it arrives. But that they had not charged me anything? Newsflash: I can see the actual debit for 103 and some cents. He told her that couldn't be possible as the items had not shipped. Too bad I couldn't FaceTime him because I have the box of shipped items in my hand.

So then he reversed his position and said it all has to do with my bank's policy and procedure and I should contact them. Easy enough my wife is an OFAC analyst at the bank we use. She made it rather clear and simple that it's not a bank's policy to randomly drive out money unless requested and if the bank was having an issue with double posting she would have to be at work in the Data Center on a Saturday am trying to fix problems. It ended with him giving us the last item that was waiting to ship at no charge. That he would send it "up to cooperate" yada yada yada. Thanks for the offer but I don't want a free 17dollar sweater. I just want to ensure that I'm not gonna going to continue to get multiple charges. I'm buying the clothes not renting them. So I'm not going to rant and get all pissed off.

My solution is simple I speak with my money and I'll not shop there again online or in store. I seriously doubt Belk's will miss my business but it's the principle of the matter. We have a Belk's Men's Store at one of the malls and I like shopping there. Oh well!!! As a side note something similar happens about 15 years ago with GM and an very inexpensive part. They got to keep the 45 dollars or so but seven new car purchases between my wife and I over the past fifteen years. Not a single one is a GM product. I refuse to own one. I'm sure GM doesn't miss me but over a 45 dollar part I have enjoyed the F150s, Volkswagens, and Mustangs I've bought. Now that I'm getting ready for my midlife crisis I would love to buy one of the new Camaro's but I can get a decent Porsche for a little more.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I had ordered two pairs of boots online to find that I had been double-charged for my purchase as one of these charges was an account hold. So basically, if you plan to order anything online, plan on paying double right away and the waiting 5-7 business days to get the double payment back in your bank account. I paid about $60, but was charged $120. Ridiculous. So I call customer service wanting to just cancel my order, and the man said you can only cancel your order an hour after it's been made or when you receive the products. You should be able to cancel an order at any time for any reason. In the meantime, I'll be double-charged for items I don't have yet, and I'll be waiting almost a week until I get MY money back that they used as an account hold. I wouldn't recommend shopping online, unless you're okay with being double-charged and unexpectedly being out of money you thought you had.

UPDATED ON 12/13/2016: If you decide to return something, you can expect to wait up to a month to see your money back in your bank account. I returned one of the two items I purchased on Belk, brought my box to a FedEx location shortly after receiving the item. It only took three days for the package to get where it needed to go, but found out that it can take up 15 days for the return to processed and to see the money in your bank account. 15 DAYS. All in all, it took at least a month from the date of purchase to the date I got the money back in my bank account.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I went online to search who had Estee Lauder Gift with purchase. I placed my order this weekend with Belk as they advertise a gift. I just received notification my items have shipped minus the gift. I called customer service to complain they said I can return the items. This is so inconvenient as I live very remotely and the post office is a drive away. I feel I should have been told about this at the time of order and will NEVER order from Belk again. Bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

My son and I felt discriminated since we walked it to the kids department. I had an empty box of Nike shoes that I brought home with my son toys in it. I was asked where were the shoes that belong to that box in a very rude voice by an employee from Belks. Then I felt that I was followed everywhere like if I was stealing something. My son got off the stroller and got under the rack for maybe 30 seconds. The employee hilar at him in a very rude voice to move from there. Then not even one minute later he did the same thing but this time this lady run towards him and grabbed him from his hand. At that moment my first reaction was to grabbed her arm and pull her away from my son. He was crying badly. I couldn't even continue shopping so I went ahead and paid for my items and left.

I called corporate, I received an apology and also from the manager from that local store. HE mailed me a two $5 gift card... I feel like that's a slap in the face. WHAT this lady did to my son was torture and now my son won't even want to go inside the store. That was one of my favorite stores but because of that lady I can't go in anymore since my son refuses to go in because he is still afraid of going in. We are talking a 4 yr old kid. I am desperate to know what my rights are. I feel discriminated, bully and very disappointed with the Belks stuff.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I ordered Lancome product with a Lancome FREE 7-PIECE GIFT WITH ANY $35 LANCOME PURCHASE. They sent me my ordered product (thank God) with only 6 pieces free gift. When I contacted them they wrongly interpreted the offer and didn't do anything to resolve the issue. I'm ready to return my order and the free gift but after I read all complaints online I give up. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Be very careful when applying for a Belk/Synchrony Bank credit card. I was late just once, and was charged a $25.00 late fee plus interest. My balance was only $58 and I had not missed a payment since receiving the card. This fee can be as much as $35. Belk offers a lot of discounts with their credit card use but if you are going to have to pay a late fee this high, then it's not worth it to me. They just lost a good customer.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

The product description for the 3-piece set of dishes indicated buy 1, get 1 free. A coffee cup is what was free. They didn't indicate "buy one, get a free coffee cup." I called to see if I should order 1 cup or if it would just be sent free. I was on the phone with customer service so long, it was too late to edit or cancel my order. They did a call tag on that order. FedEx came to pick it up before it was delivered. I called; the man I spoke with said that I was not charged for the order and maybe they caught it before it went out. Not true. I was charged for the order and received it about a week later. I called back and asked if I could have it picked up at work so I didn't have to leave it outside. He said no, that they will try 3 times to pick it up and leave it somewhere outside.

Later, I called and got another rep. She said I can get it picked up at work and that I would get an e-mail with a return packing slip. I didn't receive it, so I called again. This person repeated the part about FedEx coming 3 times. I wrote 3 times to the "contact us" asking for someone to contact me. This has been going on for 11 days and I have spent hours on the phone. Today I called and the lady said she would expedite it because I still haven't received the e-mail. You guessed it... still nothing.

Original review: July 1, 2016

First, I got a credit card and my adult daughter got the number and ran it up to the $500 max. I made all payments on time only to get a nasty letter saying that all of a sudden they "checked my credit" and were going to lower the max. No biggie, I still have never used the card. Finally, I reported it stolen, since she continued to use my card number without permission. That, however, is on me. I should have stopped it sooner. The biggest problem is when trying to pay it off, they refuse to take a prepaid credit card. WHY? As long as the money gets to you, why do you care in what form? They want to keep you bound to their fees and interest to get every stinking dime they can from you, the consumer. I think it is crooked and criminal.

Original review: May 15, 2016

I was pleasantly surprised by the quick response to my complaint of a wrong item delivered, for which I had to expend a return shipping cost. I was credited for the return shipping and sent the correct item immediately with free shipping, along with repeated apologies.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I bought several items from Belk. Two identical pair of pants were marked the same size but one was significantly smaller. I have to pay to return the pants. One rep told me that I can't return multiple orders in the same package so returns would be expensive. If you buy something and it comes on sale, you only have 10 days to "price match" or you are stuck with the higher price. Of course, this is not written on the online store information anywhere. I called and was a few days short and they would only give me 10% off, although the pants that I had already bought were reduced 50%.

I found the entire experience to be labor intensive and expensive given returns. Some customer service reps were rude. (Some not). I will not be buying from Belks again. I am writing this review because I believe that online shopping is gaining popularity and as a consumer, it is my responsibility to help people determine if a seller gives the consumer a good, fair experience.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

I arrived right after opening. There were very few people in the store. I was greeted by a pleasant lady who asked if she could help me. I asked where the Vineyard Vines clothing was. She pointed me in the direction. I found the shirts and sweaters I was looking for. I could not find a shirt and sweater in the same size that matched. I asked another lady that walked by if she could help me. She said that was not her department.

I saw a young man that had walked up to the service desk. He never acknowledged my presence. I finally asked him if he could help me. He replied "Just a minute." He came over to where I was. He had some papers in his hand. He never put them down. He NEVER said "How can I help you?" He merely stood there. I ASKED him if there were any more shirts or sweaters like these anywhere in the store. He replied "No". I said "Thank you" and left. This is not the first time I have been ignored and slighted in this store. I went downtown to MLM – great service. Found some really nice things. Despise going into Belk – snooty, indifferent people. I will not be back. The Belk stores in Laurel and Columbus are not like this. Even the women's store in Tupelo is not like this. Sad.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

This is my third and last online order with Belk. I have received the wrong item for the last 3 orders. At least this time they are resending the item with a post paid return. However until the correct one arrives, I am doubtful. Also I had to point out that when I ordered the item, it was cheaper due to a coupon, their customer service is as bad as the warehouse. Hope the new owners (Sycamore group) improve this service or better yet carry petite sizes in the store.

Belk Company Information