1.44/5

belk.com

99 Belk Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I recently lost my husband. I returned some items to Belk for a refund and received a credit on my card. Two months later instead of leaving the credit on my card they sent a refund check in my late husband's name. They are refusing to reissue the check in my name and/or reinstate the credit. The argument is that even though my name is on the account he was the primary. After talking to 3 different people, one a supervisor, the issue is unresolved. In the end I told them I would shred the check, to close the account, do not open a new account in my name, as I no longer wish to do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I ordered 3 times from Belk. The first time, I got a color variation of what I ordered. Not the correct color but the correct item. I returned it. The second time, I got another variation of what I ordered. Not correct but similar. Returned it. The third time, I must have received someone else’s previously returned merchandise. It was a white shirt with either chocolate splatter or blood splatter on the front of the shirt. There was another greenish stain that someone had tried to blot out. It was faded but the fabric was stiff and bumpy over the greenish stain. What’s wrong with these people? Does Belk just not care about their reputation?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I ordered Bandolino Mandie Petite jeans, Size 12 Short in Cabernet Fig and they arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I checked my Visa CC balance and activity, and there were no duplicate or extra charges whatsoever. I'm expecting the second half of my order in a day or two (same pants, in green) and expect them to arrive in perfect shape as well.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I placed 15 Belk orders on 08/03/2018. The total amount is around $1,000, and I did not receive any one of them. Here are the order numbers: **. I contacted Belk many times, every agent gives me a different response. They created at least 3 case number for me, and nothing happened. I have to keep contacting, so they solved 12 orders and ignored the rest 3. Right now they asked me to contact PayPal. I did, but Belk refused to refund to PayPal, and they even provided the tracking number of OTHER replaced order to PayPal. I can't believe Belk has such a horrible customer service! NEVER shopping in Belk!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I am 65. I worked all my life with an honest work ethic. I worked at Belk almost a year part time in shoes. I made an honest mistake, sent them the money for the mistake, yet they let me go. I saw a co-worker who was a single mom and a great worker be let go also. She had to get off work in time to pick up her baby and they wouldn't arrange it for her. Belk doesn't support single moms nor do they even once give a fair warning if you make a mistake. The managers don't help train - they leave it up to co-workers. If you are required to read the Personnel Policies and Procedures, you have to do it at your own home on your own time.

In a year, just in the shoe department, I saw 5 people come and go. Shoes are stolen out of the boxes and customers leave them a mess. Now that they are on the floor, sales are associates are expected to keep everything in order, keeps shoes on display even though they continually fall off, put away all the shipments and dust and vacuum. All that plus taking care of customers, opening accounts, processing returns, etc. Too much is expected for $8.50 an hour and then they let you go for making a mistake. Ethics?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Belk?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

A couple of months ago we were given a new Belk credit card, apparently Belk moved their CC processing from Visa to MC. During the transition we were sent a monthly bill where we owed about $200. Being someone who doesn't like to have outstanding credit card balances I went ahead and paid the full amount due about 2 weeks prior to the due date. Well, the payment was posted to the older account (the one tied to the older credit card). In the meantime we are getting letters and notices from the underlying bank (Synchrony Bank) stating we are past due!

We have spoken with Belk 4 times and they refuse to move the money from one account to the other! All they say is that it is a process that may take 30 days! This situation is totally unbelievable! The issue can be fixed with a click of the keyboard! We are totally disgusted with Belk. I wrote their CFO yesterday asking if he could get this done. We will never shop at Belk again! They were bought out recently by a private equity firm out of NY. They are having a difficult time and I can see why! The way they treat their customers is disgusting! Instead of correcting the posting of our payment they would rather see our credit impacted by some bank they scooped up to handle their cards. Don't deal with these people! They could care less about customer relations. Just don't do it. Let them know that without respect for the customer they are history.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Beware if you use a debit card. They will take out a "preauthorization for the full amount" and then as it is shipped will debit your account the amount shipped. The problem is it takes 3-5 days to get the preauthorization back in your account so in actuality you are being billed twice and then credited back. Make sure you have enough money in your account!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have left only positive reviews on experiences with other companies, but I feel strong enough about my negative experience that I needed to write a review. I had the same experience as a customer below for billing me twice, then it took 5 days and two phone calls to get it off my account. Second, their return policy is crap if THEY DO send the wrong items, or you simply need to return. This is not a company that can survive in the internet shopping age. Everything added up to a poorly run or staffed company in all areas. I will never, ever go to their site again even if the prices are better, because it's not worth it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I hope I could give ZERO star. Two of my orders were cancelled without any reason. They did not even let you know that your orders were cancelled. This company is just collecting your credit card information. It is very dangerous! Be very careful of this company!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

Ordered two shirts. They billed me multiple times for the same two items. They sent the wrong item. They did refund my ship charges and sent a return label but after having the two items in their possession for weeks now, I do not have a refund for the shirts. Ordered two shirts on the website. They billed me once, they billed me twice, they billed me a third time I called to complain. They fixed it and instead billed me for half the order twice, once for $42.85, once for $42.84. They sent me a package, it did not have the item pictured on their website. I was a little pissed. Got a nice supervisor who refunded my $24.95 for expedited shipping (because they shipped the wrong shirts) and then sent me a mailing label to my email so I could return the shirts without paying to return the incorrect item.

And by this time, I was done with Belks so I sent the items back and it has been weeks, when I called several weeks ago I got one story, then I called the next week, I got another story, when I called earlier this week and spoke to a VERY, VERY young sounding man who was not able to help me because I was upset and I was not polite enough for him. I called tonight to be told they sent me two more shirts (oh, really, and on what planet did they think I wanted two more shirts) and so they are not refunding my money because I have two new shirts... let me make this perfectly clear... I DID NOT RECEIVE ANOTHER PACKAGE FROM BELKS, I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER PACKAGE FROM BELKS, I do not want anything from belks except my money back.

It has been weeks & weeks & weeks. It's $60, they can't possibly need my money that badly. I want my money back. Their people are inept, slow, great at giving lip service and hope you just go away. It has been weeks. I want my money back and for the trouble you are giving me, I would like to respond by posting five reviews about your store for every day I get no response.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I saw that there were several reports of problems with orders from the Belk.com website, but thought the experience would be better if I ordered from the website and picked it up at the local Belk store. This saved both shipping and the time I would have spent hunting down the item in the store. At first, I thought this would be easy. I received a confirmation email; and later, the email that my purchase was ready for pickup. When I arrived at Belk, I asked the woman at customer service where to go. She thought the pickup desk was on the third floor, but when I said that most stores have pickup close to an entrance, she called and found that it was, indeed near one of the other entrances.

I went to the designated spot, and there it was: a desk with a large sign that said Online Order Pickup but there was nobody there. I waited a while, and then sat on a nearby chair, prepared to snag any Belk associate who ventured near. It never happened. I finally called the store. The desk had no extension, so I tried calling a manager. No answer. I left a message to send someone to Online Pickup. Finally, I decided that the only option was find my purchase myself. I did find it on a shelf with other pickup items in an area in the back where I probably should not have been. I took the bag with my name on it and left the store. The next day, I received an email that my order had been picked up. I wonder how they thought that happened.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I placed an online order. Two items did not fit. Called to exchange only to find out to do an online order exchange you have to go to the store to exchange the items. This defeats the purpose of online ordering. Once at the store, I wanted to pay my balance. The return really confused them on my balance. It is simply subtraction! The clerk, who was very kind but her ability to assist me was greatly restricted by company policy. I went to my car, called customer service and 48 minutes later they finally figured out what I owed and wanted me to pay them $10.00 to pay them!

I left a credit balance on my card to cover the cost of the items I had reordered and closed my card. Belk then decided to cancel my order. I called customer service for a refund and was transferred to Synchrony Bank. They do not allow you to speak and will not return your credit to the credit card you paid your bill with 'because they can't credit a card that is closed'! WHAT? Bottom line, they are mailing me a check which I should receive in 5 to 15 business days! Suggest ordering from a company that cares about their customers, offers customer service and understands the meaning of 'online ordering'. Done with Belk... There are too many other, better options to online shopping!

Original review: May 5, 2018

The products at Belk are various and great. Many excellent sales and very quick shipping. No shipping costs with purchase > $99. I would recommend to anyone looking for most anything.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Shirts looked great when received. Washed as I always do with new items. They came out of dryer all wrinkled and looked terrible. I ran through dryer again to remove wrinkles and they looked terribly wrinkled. I think these must be a "knock off " illegal item as I doubt Izod would jeopardize their logo with such crap. You need to investigate whether these are an illegal use of Izod label. I would like a prepaid return label for these three shirts and a refund of $53.01 including tax.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My checking account has 2 pending charges against my available balance. 1 charge is for the entire order amount and 1 charge is for one item that shipped separately. I have a reference number I received from a customer service rep (**) in regards to this matter, but the additional charge (authorization) still remains. I need this matter cleared before any additional charges I'm expecting to clear my account come through. I can't wait 2-3 business days for the incorrect authorization to come off.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I purchased several items in one order. The items came in too small. When I called to find out how to return they say to me you have to pay to send them back. Okay upset because who still makes the consumer pay for returns. I wanted to reorder one of the items. They raised the price from 49.99 to 130.00 within days because they were having a buy 2 get one free sale. Still does not equal to the 150 it would have cost to buy 3. My return has been with them now for 3 days. I call to see where my credit is. They tell me it will take up to 15 days for them to process my credit. WHAT?! Why? You make me pay to return then take 15 days to credit me. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THIS PLACE AGAIN!!!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I opened an account with them a while ago. I have always paid off my credit card early. Never making a late payment of any kind. They have closed my account. Said that I had too many credit cards open and due to something that happened years ago that they have made the decision to close my account. I can say that I will never spend another dime of my money in Belk's. Personally if they don't want someone to have a credit card then don't allow them to get one. Don't let them open an account and then close it without telling them.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Last week Belk had an amazing sale on their Laredo and Dingo boots. I excitedly ordered many, many pair for myself and as gifts for others. The online experience was horrible because as I was trying to check out I kept getting messages that some items in my cart were no longer available. Knowing how amazing this sale was I wasn't surprised that things were selling out so fast so I was understanding and kept going through the process and updating my cart. After finally getting everything straight and assuring that all the items in my cart were still available, I finished the checkout process and got the email confirming my order. After a week of not receiving my packages I check online just to find that my order had been cancelled.

I call customer service to find out the reason for the cancellation and was advised that the items were out of stock. If said items were out of stock then they shouldn't have been sold to me. I ordered 12 or 13 pair of shoes and EVERY SINGLE PAIR was out of stock?! Additionally, only after calling customer service did I receive emails advising me of the cancellation. Upon reading these reviews I see that several others had a similar experience and were given various different excuses than what I'd received. Extremely disappointed in Belk. I understand that losing my business will not affect them but if they continue to conduct business in this manner they will continue to lose customers. I will never purchase from Belk again.

Resolution response: April 10, 2018

I just wanted to let everyone know that Belk has went out of their way to make this right! They are giving gift cards and percentages off the next order and so on! I have been a long time customer of Belk until the boot deal. After all they have done to make this right, I will be back shopping there again!!

Thank You Belk!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Belk put a sale on Laredo boots and dingo boots. I was on the site when the boots went on sale so I hurried and filled my cart full. A couple of pair I ordered was sold out so I immediately got an email after I place order and said they were out but I still had several pair that was being processed for delivery. A week went by so I call Belk. They tell me oh a shipping label has been created and I should receive my boots this week. I talked to several customer service on the days before and they all have had several stories as to why my boots were running late on shipping. Today I got cancelation notices on every pair I ordered. They said it was a system glitch and they could not sell those boots at that price! This isn’t the first time or the second time that this has happened. THEY DO NOT WANT TO HONOR THEIR PRICES!!!

Original review: March 18, 2018

I placed a order for Laredo & Dingo boots they had on sale in a flash sale. Bought several pairs checked out and received confirmation of order on the 15th. I went online to check order and said cancelled. So I called customer service and was given 2 different excuses as why the order was cancelled. 1 They’re not available (they were when I ordered them). 2 It was a site error (yea maybe you disproved them). Then I was offered a $20 credit and 20% off next order (No thanks. Don't like how you do business) then asked to speak to supervisor. She said the vendor cancelled their order. Ok? Which one is it told her seems like your company just wanted a bunch of people’s information and credit card #s.

She then said she would have a senior supervisor contact me within 24 hr. Waited no one called. I called back and was supposedly connected to senior supervisor which was extremely rude. He told me no one was getting their boots. All orders was cancelled. Asked to speak to his supervisor. He said I would have to call corporate & hung up on me. Didn't give me the number or anything. So called them still waiting for a response back. They had pulled all the boots offline but now they are starting to show back up at a lot higher price. They just don't want to honor their price. Will not ever order from here again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

My first purchase with Belk horrible, they sent me two different sizes in shoes and told me I have to wait for 4 to 5 days to get a return label to return for a replacement or my money back. Their customer is rude and unprofessional. I would never recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware.

Original review: March 15, 2018

It is super sad for me. I bought lots of useless Estée Lauder products so that I could buy 2 Estée Lauder boxes (60dollars). However, Belk sent me everything except my kits. What's worse, they did not provide prepaid label, so it meant I had to pay extra mailing postage to return these "Rubbishes". Now I do not dare return them, because they may not pay money back to me. They are neither responsible nor efficient. I will never buy anything from Belk.

Original review: March 8, 2018

After having a Belk Rewards Card for several years and receiving statements in the mail every month Belk changed my account to paperless billing without asking or receiving confirmation that I had been notified of the this change. For the first time ever I was late on paying my balance because I count on receiving the statement to know when I have a balance. I do not use or make purchases on the Belk Rewards card every month and when you have no balance they do not send you a statement therefore I assumed I had no balance that month when I didn't receive a statement. I do not read all the emails because your email inbox is always bombarded with ads for sales and such but just happened to read one stating my account was past due. When I tried calling customer service to speak to someone all you get is an automated answering service that never allows you to request to speak to a person.

To me this is very poor customer service. When I told the automated answering service that I wanted to cancel my Belk Rewards Card I was sure that a person would come on the line to inquire why. Nope. This was all done through an automated process as well. This speaks volumes about this company and how they feel about their customers. Since the company was taken over by Sycamore Partners Equity Firm, Belk is no longer a family friendly family run company. It's just another big corporation out to make as much money in as short a period of time as it can and then will probably be closing up the doors like Kmart, Roses, and JC Penney. I will take my business to Macy's or any other department store besides Belk from now on since I know just how Belk values their loyal customers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I will not purchase anything else online from Belk.com. I ordered 3 lady's tops, and paid $9.50 for shipping. In less than 45 minutes, I realized I had ordered the wrong size. I called immediately and was told by a Customer Service Manager that the order could NOT be changed, nor could it be canceled. So my order will arrived in the wrong size. It was an expensive lesson.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Ordered a pair of $60 men's slippers online on 2/6. On 2/12, received an email saying they cancelled the order. These were to be part of a birthday present. Since we were on a cruise, I didn't get the email until we got back. I called Belk and cust serv said it was cancelled because they were out of stock. What? They appeared to be in stock when I placed the order, and it's still showing as available today. Doesn't make any sense! Belk needs to have a system in place that shows an item to be out of stock when you order it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Belk doesn't stock much of their on-line sale merchandise, so after visiting my local store I had to go home and order the $14.99 slippers on-line. Because Belk does not offer free ship-to-store, they charged me $9.50 shipping fee. FOUR DAYS LATER they shipped my order via FEDEX Smartpost. From a Belk store

only 30 MILES AWAY! They used two carriers to cover 30 miles, took seven days and charged me $9.50 for their incompetence! I'll never shop BELK again!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I still haven't received my refund over a month later. But they did charge my account twice by mistake. I've had two orders with them, and three problems. And, they can't cancel anything ever, so they say. Even an item that they couldn't find in any warehouse. I had to wait until THEY canceled it. Which is like two weeks later.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have been a Belk customer for a few years. The lack of online billing information is super concerning. When a purchase is made there is very little if any information regarding the item so it is very difficult for me, the consumer, to know what I am being charged for, etc. The same goes for returns. When I have made a payment, it is so difficult to know what is what. The only way to shop with Belk is to pay the balance in full and then wait to make sure the amount is applied properly, etc. Whoever is managing Belk needs a wake up call. It is a shame because their merchandise is great but all other aspects of Belk need revamping and change.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Customer Service Rep literally said "I'm just not in the mood for this today." HORRIBLE! I will never do business with Belk again. I was not trying to do business with them this time. Somehow their system placed an order for something I got 2 years ago. Too bad there isn't a Zero Star rating.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

If I could give zero stars I would. First of all the shoes were not as described at all. Secondly they were dirty and filthy on the bottom. This is my first and my very last experience ever shopping at this selfie store online.

Belk Company Information