3.53/5

789 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Please don't use any product made by this company. Their flea squeeze application put my dog in the ICU overnight. Sergeant's knows. That's why the company reimbursed me on my vet bills. I did everything right. My dog lived.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My cat did not have fleas, but had wandered outside and I had rat in the garage. So I treated her. That night she began vomiting. That was April 16. April 17 I put her in the bathroom with her litter box and she stopped eating but kept vomiting. April 18, I took her to the vet, who gave her supportive treatment but said there was nothing in the literature about such a strong reaction to this medication. April 19, she is drooling massively and still vomiting, and of course very tired. I will take her back to the vet tomorrow, but I do not have high hopes.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My friend gave this to her cat and by morning the cat was dead. No health problems prior and the only new thing introduced to her. The cat was healthy and lived indoors. Could not have been anything else.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had Marley For 7 Wonderful Years. She meant the world to me. Unfortunately I used Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo on her and after the bath she started shaking hiding and a few hours later had a really bad seizure. I rushed her to the emergency vet and they kept her overnight. She comes home the next day and within a few hours she has blood gushing out of her nose so back to the emergency vet we go.

The vet sent her home with a ton of medication which I gave her around the clock. She still shaked at home, had a head tilt, walked like she was drunk and needed 24/7 care and monitoring. I even had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom because she wasn't able to walk downstairs. She could no longer get on the couch or jump down. She often stared into space. It was horrible seeing her like this for 2 weeks. She passed away on 4/4/19 and it was the worst day for me and my family. She was a healthy happy dog before I gave her a bath with Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. Please don't use this on your pets.

Original review: March 16, 2019

If I could choose zero stars I would. I used the flea squeeze on my 17 year old snowshoe siamese and my 8 year old Russian blue. I was cautious to use a new brand on my older cats so I split a tube between them. Within an hour I noticed my Siamese was panting and his pupils were extremely dilated, I washed him because I was scared the dosage was too much for him. Over the next few days he was acting strange, 6 days later HE DIED. My Russian Blue itched herself so much she got bald spots and the fleas are STILL NOT GONE. So angry that I allowed myself to buy this low cost brand, I lost my best friend because of it. :(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I bought Sergeant's PRONYL OTC Plus for dogs today March 4, 2019 at 2:45 at Wal-Mart in Pell City Alabama for my 5-pound yorkie. When I open the box the tube was almost completely empty, you lay your finger flat down that how much it had in it. The bar code 73091 05165. The code 0248k 12 1536 060318. I took it back to Walmart to exchange for a another one that wasn't almost empty. If someone bought something it was almost empty, I would exchange it for another one when you pay almost $6.00 for it. I wanted to email y'all to let y'all know about Sergeant's PRONYL OTC Plus for dogs. If that way Walmart is going to do customer when they buy Sergeant's Pronyl and it's almost empty want exchange or give their money back, am thinking about not spending my money on Sergeant's dog's stuff anymore. Thank you for taking time to read my email.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is a dangerous product. Immediately after properly applying this product to our one year old cat she fell off the bed disoriented, started foaming at the mouth and was leaning against the wall for support to try and walk to my daughter. WE IMMEDIATELY WASHED HER WITH SOAP AND WATER! WE ARE KEEPING WATCH OVER HER AND are very upset that a company is allowed to sell products that harm our pets!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Purchased Sergeant's flea and tick squeeze on for my 12 year old daughter's Russian blue cat. Applied it to the cat as directed and within hours the cat was lying on the floor going into tremors and convulsions and foaming at the mouth and nonresponsive. We rushed the cat to the animal hospital who are still trying to save her. She is only a year old and was very healthy until the use of Sergeants's product. We were told that if our cat survives overnight then she will have to remain in the hospital for days. My daughter is extremely upset and I'm sick to my stomach for buying this disgusting product. Cat owners BEWARE OF SERGEANTS FLEA AND TICK SQUEEZE ON FOR CATS AND KITTENS.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I put Sergeant's Gold flea treatment on my cat. He hated it. Ran around the house for an hour wildly, which I assumed was because he didn't like the gooey feeling on his back. Then, two days later all the hair fell out of the spot where I put the flea treatment, leaving bare skin with a bad rash. This product SHOULD NOT BE ON THE MARKET. It BURNED MY CAT! Sergeant's response was unhelpful in the extreme. Yes, this happens. We'll refund your purchase price. OUTRAGEOUS! One star is far too generous. It should be NEGATIVE 50 STARS!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My 6-month-old Dachshund mix took bath and nearly died... Couldn't stand. Kidneys were shutting down. Had to take to emergency vet for treatment. Just because of a simple bath. Will never use any of their products again! Would have sued if my puppy would of died!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I bought these collar for my 3 cats. My oldest cat has had them before. I noticed just last week she's super skinny, won't eat, drinks water, so weak, and is peeing herself. Went to the vet today, she's 4 lbs and is very sick thanks to these collars. I had to bath he to the chemicals off her fur. The vet is hopefully she WILL MAKE IT. TAKE THESE COLLAR OFF THE SHELF!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I put this collar on my cat slightly over a week ago. I noticed her bubbly spirit was gone, very soon afterwards. Upon rubbing her, I felt her neck it was matted hair. Very unusual I decided then to remove this collar. Today I noticed all her hair on one side of her neck is gone. I can see red tissue. I'm so afraid she could get infected. I have to get her to a veterinarian now.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This is the most godawful thing I’ve ever seen happen to my dog. Vomiting, diarrhea, couldn’t sit still, I think hallucinations, scratching, jerking, etc. Yes, I followed the directions exactly. I feel horrible for putting this on my dog. Three baths later she still isn’t back to normal. DO NOT put this on your dog!!! Pure poison.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We put this on our dog and within minutes she was scooting around the house. Has anxiety and has had it all day long having convulsions. This stuff is horrible. Do not I repeat do not buy it. Do not waste your money on this product.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

With limited options at the time, I purchased this brand in lieu of Hartz Brand Flea shampoo because I'm aware of what Hartz can do to pets - didn't realize this would be one and the same. Aside from not actually working for its intended purpose, this flea and tick shampoo was incredibly toxic to my poor dog. I have an otherwise healthy, 11 year old Pomeranian that is still recovering from use of this poisonous product. Tremors, difficulty breathing, feverish, irritated skin, loss of appetite, loss of balance... When I realized this was a result of the shampoo I immediately bathed her in Dawn Dishsoap and took her into the Vet. I've now got steroids, antibiotics, bloodwork and stool samples to complete and must closely monitor her breathing. Hopeful that I'm a lucky one that caught it in time and got it off her skin while I still could. If you make the same mistake - DAWN Dish Soap!!! and Vet!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used this product. Within two hours three of my cats were shaking uncontrollably trembling into seizures! We had to take them to the emergency 24-hour vet which was a hundred and fifty per cat so there we spent $300 right. They call him the seizures down. We brought the animals home. They were still shaking uncontrollably but not in seizures. We had to take them all three to the normal vet the next day which was another $75! So me being a cheapskate and trying to save some money and bought this cheap product ended up spending $425 to save my babies lives.

Here is the treatment that the vet gave to us. If you have accidentally use this product you need to give your babies this muscle relaxer. This is what saved my babies! Okay it is a 500mg **! My cats all weighed 7 point something pounds. The treatment with them with this muscle relaxer was 1/4 of the 500 mg tablet. This brings your babies out of the seizures. Not permanently at first. You have to watch them for the next week and if another seizure comes on you give them another dose of the medicine! I just wanted to give this information to people because not everyone can afford to take their baby straight to a 24-hour emergency vet!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I used this on my beagle hound. We had to rush him to the emergency vet. His face began to swell extremely large and fast he couldn't breathe and it made patches of his hair fall out. First and last time we will ever use this product. It's a deathwish.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! Do NOT buy this product. Yesterday I bought the flea topical and put it on one of my adult cats and one of my younger cats and within 45 minutes my younger cat began convulsing uncontrollably while urinating and pooping on himself and did so for about an hour before we had to put him down to end his suffering! My adult cat is currently at the vet with IV and fluids suffering from neurological problems! Our vet said they do not know how this product can be continued to be sold at stores! It was by far the most traumatic experience ever! This company should be sued!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

TERRIBLE!!! It gave my dog a chemical burn. WITHIN 2 HOURS OF USING THE TOPICAL SOLUTION MY DOG WAS CRYING AND SCRATCHING UNCONTROLLABLY. I am watching the place. Even after rinsing with water and putting honey, aloe, and anti-itch cream my dog is still uncomfortable! Take this off the shelf!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Put on my cat. Couple days later I had to take off and wash his neck. Burned him and his hair around his neck. I am heartbroken. This should be taken off the shelf. I will never buy this or any other product.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I put this product on all four of my cats this morning and by 5:00 pm three of them had passed. The adult female and the two kittens were having seizures an hour after putting it on them. The vet tried everything but nothing could stop the seizures. I will never use this product again as I don't want to lose any more cats. They really should take this product off the market.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I used the drops for fleas and ticks. My dog has burns and missing fur. My cat came in contact with it and had back to back seizures. I held my baby as she fought for her life. I can't stress enough how painful that was. IF YOU LOVE YOUR PET PLEASE SEEK FLEA MEDS FROM A TRUSTED VET OR ATLEAST CALL AND ASK.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

After reading all the reviews, I’m freaking out. I just put this on my cat today. She started acting odd, and now I can’t find her...and she’s an inside cat. We know she didn’t go outside. She won’t come when we call her either. Terrified she’s had a seizure and passed somewhere. She was completely fine before I sprayed her with this.

Updated on 09/26/18: Our kitty finally came out of hiding with her legs shaking and acting odd. I went to let her and she hissed at me, which she’s never done. At 12am and she’s now sleeping. We have a vet appointment at 7am to check her out further.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I am 16 years old and I should not have to hold a convulsing cat and watch it DIE in my arms because of this flea medication! Now one out of two of her kittens have a tick that won't go away, (He is shaking his ear and paw a lot but he is okay.) and they no longer have a mama! My 40 year old father broke down because of how graphic this was! I am planning on starting a petition to shut them down!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Please do not buy and use this product! My friend used this on 6 of her cats and only half a dose on each. Now she has three dead cats and one who has been have a non-stop seizure since last night! This was purchased at Dollar General and when I went to ask for them to take off shelf so no other family will lose the fur babies they told me they are not allowed to remove things from the shelf without manager say so. But the manager was not working today so they will be leaving it for people to buy. I then called Sergeant's and what they told me was if we take the cat to vet and send them bill with our case number they may reimburse for medical but it's not guaranteed. I ask that everyone please share this to save other cats who may fall victim to this horrible company's product.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

So about a month ago, I bought my cat Sergeant's once monthly flea and tick squeeze on application. Almost immediately, I noticed my cat was sitting in the litter box more. I assumed it just felt good to him due to the heat levels for Ohio July Heat. In the last two weeks, I began noticing that feces was in the litter box, but he wasn't urinating as much. I had explained that off to myself as well.

To make a long story short, my cat is, as we speak having emergency surgery done on his urethra. He was foaming at the mouth, and was taken to the vet in critical condition. I believe with all of my heart that this cheap squeeze on is what made my cat sick. Some cats can have an allergic reaction to the chemicals in these cheaper brands causing them stress. So as I sit here crying and writing this review, I know that I could get the call that he didn't make it. Spend the extra $15 to get the Advantage. I know I will. My cheap ways may have cost me the life of my companion Bandit. As I sit here reading the reviews on this product I am surprised at how many other stories are identical to mine after using this product.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I put this product on my dog and two of the kittens that I had snuggled with the dog became exposed to the medication, within hours both kittens started having seizure like jerking movements and foaming at the mouth both resulting in death... The medication is listed below. Squeeze on Sergeant's Bansect Squeeze-On Flea and Tick Control for Dogs. SKU: 915359. Product Details. Squeeze-on flea and tick control for dogs comes assorted between doses for dogs over 33 lbs., and doses for dogs under 33 lbs. Specifications. Brand: Sergeant's® Bansect®. Volume: .1 oz.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I used Flea and Tick Squeeze-On for Cats and Kittens last night on my 2 y/o cat, Lamb. I usually use Advantage and she has never reacted badly but I tried this product because it’s a lot cheaper. I read the directions and put it on her like shown. My mistake was not going online to read reviews... I found her this morning acting odd, shaking/trembling, and twitching as she walked. I panicked and looked up the product only to find that I have actually put poison on my baby!!! And others have died due to use of this awful pesticide.

I can’t believe it is still being sold in stores. I washed her twice in Dawn dish soap, it’s been a couple hours and the shaking has stopped but she’s still acting lethargic and scared. I 100% do not recommend this product or any of Sergeant's products! If anyone has put out a petition to end this company I would be more than happy to sign and spread it around. I am so sad for the families who have lost their fur babies because of this and all I can do is hope Lamb will not be affected.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Unfortunately my cat is also one of their many poisoning victims!!! She is still at the veterinarian right now fighting for her life after I applied this medication (Gold Flea Drops) to a perfectly healthy normal cat!! The reports here are all true and cannot understand for the life of me how this product is able to stay on the market. Everyone who is associated with this product still being sold needs to go to prison for all the horrible suffering and deaths they are responsible for. Sick! Sick! Sick!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Yesterday, I applied the Sergeant's Flea and Tick to my cat (Louise). After a few hours, she become sick, trembling real bad. She was in so much pain when I picked her up. I rush her to the 24 hr vet to find out from the doctor that Sergeant's medication is poison to animals. This stuff needs to be remove from the market and from the stores. It seems like the company does not care and consumer is not aware of how danger this really is. I am going to contact the media and put awareness of this poison that is being sold into stores that is harming and killing part of our family.

They may be consider property to some, but my Louise is like my child. Yes, I had to paid money to make sure she is ok. The doctor gave her medication to help with the muscle twitching. Now, she is resting. I am so mad right now, reading all these complaints and the product is still being sold. Something needs to be done. Sergeant's hurting us, now it is time to put a dent in their pockets too. I am ready to file a class action suit against Sergeant's. Consumer need to be aware of the poison and effect it does to our pets.

Sergeant's Company Information