Sergeant's

94%

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,641people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Sergeant's:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

My brother had put this stuff on my cat. He told me he did; I immediately washed it off of her. By the end of the night she was trembling and having seizures! I didn't know what to do for the poor thing. She wouldn't let me pick her up or even touch her. She was foaming out of her mouth and crying. My poor baby. I hope she makes it through this. :(

I wish this product was not sold, praying as I write this that my 9-month-old kittens Thelma and Louise don't die. Use Sergeant's cat Flea meds on them today. Within hours they are both tremoring so bad, their jaws are literally chattering and they can't function. I tried to save $$ and it may cost my kittens' lives now. I can't afford the cozy of the emergency vets, praying make it till morning so I can take to clinic.

*Warning* Do not use this product. It was recommended to me by a friend and FRONTLINE was not working so I purchased this and put it on my 3 year old baby boy. He died, he was a healthy, active, sweet, precious 14.5 pound baby cat and he died after I put this on him. I looked it up this morning and I wish I had looked it up before I used it. There are thousands of complaints filed with the BBB and Consumer Affairs of this product killing and disabling animals, cats and dogs. Please do not use this product. It is toxic to animals and after reading all the complaints there are thousands of animals that have died from this and other Sergeant's products. Do not use these products. My poor Sammy died from 1 dose and the company knows about this and yet they still have it on the market.

The only thing I can say is pull all of those Sergeant's Flea Collars off the shelves. Both of my Chihuahuas had red sores on their necks and their hair on neck area fell off. My two year old was sick for three days. Constantly shaking and trembling. She wouldn’t eat or drink. After three days she’s feeling much better after giving her a good bath washing all the bad stuff off of her. Now my poor other lil Chihuahua is acting a lil off too. Please pull those Collars off the shelves before more innocent lil fur babies die or get sick. All I want is all cats and dogs to be safe.

I bought the flea collar for my Chihuahua. She is 5 yrs old and about 3 pounds. Put it on her on Thursday night and by Friday morning around 6 o'clock she was stumbling and it had burned her neck. Took her to the vet for treatment. This is a very bad product and should be taken off the market. It states may cause some skin irritation. Irritation my **! Your product burned my baby. You should not be allowed to stay in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Sergeant's flea and tick caused serious tremors, neuro problems in three of eleven cats I administered this product to. The vet said that the condition may not be reversible. But I was able to reverse the symptoms with fast action. A vet would have only given the cats IV's and activated charcoal which according to an honest vet, the charcoal won't do anything beneficial for the animal.

Here is what you should do immediately do not hesitate: 1. Wash the product off the pet with dish soap twice. If the pet won't let you give it a bath use wash cloths soaked in dish soap and water. 2. Over-feed the pet food that will make it poop. Choose food the animal won't resist overeating. I went to the dollar store for canned Mackerel fish for $1.65 per can, I bought several. I fed the cats every two hours as much as they were willing to eat. 3. Swap water for milk or fish juice in oil from canned fish. The oil helps the animal poop. By 7PM the animals returned to normal. This experience with Sergeant's was scary and heartbreaking. The cats were dying, they couldn't jump, they looked high on acid. It was an experience I don't want to go through again.

This Sergeant's flea and tick product is awful. When I read the reviews I was in shocked. I used this on my dog on a Sunday and it was the worst experience ever. My dog was miserable. He couldn't sleep. He was agitated. Took him to the vet. 2 days later they had to bathe him and prescribed Valium. This is ridiculous. Why are they still selling this, why haven't they been sued? Please make me understand why is this product still on the shelves.

I wish I had done research on this product prior to purchase. This stuff is pure poison! Had no idea why my lab was acting peculiar, compulsive biting at his tail, whining, rolling on his back, panting... Until I read the reviews on other dogs that fit the same bill. Product needs to be banned!!!

I purchased the Sergeant's dual action flea collar for my cat today May 24, 2016 to replace the old one which was one just like it. I changed the collar on my sweet boy of about 2 years old and within 10 minutes he wasn't acting like his usual self. I immediately removed the collar and got a wet paper towel to wipe his neck and paws. No longer than it was on him it cause him to start drooling, shaking, and loss of balance. His heart was racing also. I called the 800 number on the package and spoke to a gentleman, told him the symptoms my cat was experiencing and was told the collars don't cause that reaction. While speaking with him my fiance was holding the cat and he began to pee all over him and then he popped also. The man didn't seem interested in my cat just numbers on the packaging.

Needless to say as we were trying to put him in the crate to maybe calm him and get him to a vet he ran off toward the back of the trailer. I just hope he doesn't die and comes back. I will never use Sergeant's again and if he doesn't come back I won't stop until this bad mess is off the market killing and harming animals. I read with sadness some of these reviews and just hope and pray my little man comes back and is okay.

Two of my three cats experienced severe adverse reactions to this medicine; requiring veterinary medical hospitalization!! I have never used over-the-counter flea medicines on my cats before; but due to financial issues I decided to try them. A very costly mistake; and traumatizing experience for them and our family!!! Jasmine and Raven both experienced tremors, seizures, nervousness, twitching and inability to eat or drink hours after application of this product. Luckily I was able to get them to the hospital in time to administer IV fluids and sedatives to help them recover!! If I had not taken them the Doc said they might not have survived!! Now we wait to see if they experience any residual organ and neurological effects from this poison. They are recovering now; two days later after being released from hospital and still seem a little "off", mild twitching and nervousness; and seem very scared and sensitive about human touch.

Only with positive voice recognition and a gentle hand do they seem to respond to touch. Unfortunately these poisonous drugs destroy the neurotransmitters that activate senses; making them fearful to stimuli of any kind!! Their doctor also said there could be residual episodes of resurgence of the poison in their system for a week or more... Their liver and kidneys can be affected and shut down because the poison has to be assimilated and passed through completely!! It is a terrible and frustrating experience that any pet parent has to endure with them!! I cannot afford a laywer to file a class action lawsuit. If anyone reads this and has the contacts and ability to do so...PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! I WILL BE FIRST IN LINE AGAINST THE MANUFACTURERS OF THESE PRODUCTS!!!

A cat was given spot-treatment. The mistake was, she was given the kind that was designed for dogs, not cats. This is a simple mistake that is very common especially in first time cat owners - a person imagines if it kills fleas in canines, it would do the same for cats. The difference is not only the ingredients inside the capsules but the fact there is a fatality rate due to these mistakes.

The kind for canines contains 45% Permethrin. The kind for cats do not have this ingredient. I will explain just how scary this stuff is. If you have a cat and dog living in the same household, just as much as applying it to the DOG can cause your cat to get sick just from rubbing against each other on occasion or laying down next to each other.

Once the cat's skin has absorbed Permethrin, it will get sick from the toxins and begin having seizures, sometimes as often to every few hours. It may begin trembling constantly with non-stop muscle spasms until its next seizure, and the cycle repeats. I found one article that said when a cat becomes sick due to Permethrin, it caps out at a 40% fatality rate. Sometimes due to permanent health complications to a point where it must be put to sleep, sometimes it dies rapidly due to the toxins.

Basically, the good news is that this can be cured. But only with time. The skin must be scrubbed thoroughly to stop the toxins from further absorption, and vet can give it some meds to boost the healing process. So you're not looking at thousands of dollars of vet bills, at least. May as well go ahead and start praying. The bad news is your cat has a excelling rate of dying. While you can easily say, 'it says it's not for cats, your mistake. Don't blame the company.' There's a reason certain drugs are only available through prescription. These capsules, should not be available for anyone to buy anywhere. They are lethal and require debriefing on their use upon purchase.

We put this product on our cats in February. The kitten was seven months old. She developed breast cancer soon afterwards. She was sprayed at six months old. Why is this company still selling this crap? I am devastated. This is so wrong. My husband and I are slowly watching our little cat die and she is so young!!! Shame on Sergeant's. This is wrong. Stop them from killing our pets.

OMG this is so ridiculous! I put this product on my 1 year old border collie, and he has been scratching, running around, and whining like crazy! Why would they still sell this? If I lose my dog because I gave him flea medicine, I'll be devastated... They are straight up poisoning our dogs, and nothing is being done about this? How is this even legal???

I purchased Sergeant's flea medicine for my two Shorkies. They are both under ten pounds. I applied it to both. One of them seems to be ok. The other one is having trouble walking and using the restroom. She is warm and just wants to lay down all day. I am very worried after reading all the previous reviews. This company should be sued!

Today I bought Sergeant's brand Evolve 21 flea and tick drops for 21-39 lb dog. I have never used this brand but had heard of the name. After a few hours my wire Terrier mix, Madison, start barking and whining if we weren't scratching her. She was acting really weird. I called the vet and they said to bathe her with Dawn dish soap. This didn't help. She was still clearly uncomfortable. She started to twitch, so I took her to the emergency vet. As I type this she is being held overnight for observation. I read all the horrible things online, and other people's accounts of what it did to their dog, all very similar stories. I may lose my dog to this product. I will never forgive myself for buying and using this product. Don't make the same mistake. I hope this product gets banned!

Cupcake, our petite, 6 lb cat, galloped the hallway, always at our feet. Ears perked for the sound of the treat pouch. We applied powder, collar, and the "Green" natural spray to most of our cats. The fleas did not abate for whatever reason -- maybe due to cats' confinement because of the big snow storm & the # of cats, 10. So I sprayed their brush with the "Green" spray. We noticed Cupcake slowed down. All of a sudden, we asked ourselves, is she eating? Drinking? We scrutinized her as she deteriorated, sometimes back legs flailing. Within 10 days, she is now on her deathbed.

We took her to the vet a few days ago and her lab values were normal. Except for elevated calcium, indicating a poss. renal failure; the kidneys felt small. The fleas were innumerable, so we combed her and got about 900!!! fleas. She wore a collar, but... it may have been at the 6-month expiration time. From the vet, we bought and applied Activyl. We are so sorry we could not afford to buy Activyl earlier, and that may've led to our cat's demise. Our cat has not had the strength to eat or even to walk, so we ask ourselves, what happened? Was it the massive fleas on her tiny frame that started the domino effect, the shutdown? Was it a reaction to the product?

At this point, we are only guessing, so I cannot place blame. I do feel that fleas are underestimated as an adversary, that most products don't work, even the Frontline stopped working a couple years ago. I don't believe the Sergeant's powder helped. We will use Merck's Activyl for our remaining cats. It is $14 per month and dosage is based on your cat's weight. Our Cupcake was the tiniest cat, an ink spot, all black, full of lithe vigor, loved to be picked up and pretend she was nothing more than a docile limp rag. No more galloping at our feet. It just happened so fast. To everybody on this board, another thing is to vacuum and get rid of carpet and rugs until your infestation is controlled. We even vacuumed our cat. Fleas are a scourge. Activyl has different ingredients than Advantage or Frontline. Good luck. I read that brewer's yeast in the diet would help repel fleas.

We are a loyal customer to Sergeant's flea stuff. We use it on our dog and works great. Well we got the Sergeant's silver brand drops for our cat and after a couple hours she got more elusive. Not unusual since she likes to ambush us when we're unsuspecting. Well getting closer to bed time and I call the cat 'cause we let the dog in and she likes to try to sneak out the door. Nothing. Jingled her bells and nothing and then I started getting worried. Walked around the house and finally I hear a thump and she's by the door.

Examining the cat, I notice a weird crouch walking and swoop down and pick her up and realize she's not trying to get away and is actual shivering. Then I used a flashlight to check if she was blind or her pupils dilated. Breathing a sigh of relief they did. But she's still acting strange and being ginger where she walks. So finally at wits' end, I figure it's the flea stuff and I find this horrific site where tons of people have had this problem and even more heart-wrenching, it killed their animals.

Rushed her through a bath and got more worried over her not trying to scratch me to death. Smelling her breath I realized that she had swallowed a lot of the flea drops and am now keeping a full water dish, hoping she'll drink and help it go away. I'm gonna be on night watch because I love this cat and I've harmed her soo badly with this stuff. Please don't use Sergeant's Silver for cats and kittens.

Called about an hour after I applied the product to my cat when he started acting lethargic/tearing up/sneezing. Asked what exactly made up the other 45% of the product, was told it was proprietary info. Brought up how it's potentially a completely other insecticide -- still told it was proprietary. It seems like no one cares about informing the consumer about the product's makeup, even when my pet has been showing symptoms of toxicity. Veterinarian told me that it has "a really wide margin of safety" as well -- complete **, from what I've seen of pet horror stories throughout this review thread.

I sat on hold for upwards of twenty minutes while a vet (who I'm sure as hell isn't certified) had me stuck listening to elevator music while she looked for treatment options when all I wanted to know was what was in the product. In the end, they told me all the symptoms my cat was experiencing had nothing to do with the product even though they were symptoms commonly experienced by cats due to synthetic pyrethroids/insecticides. Don't trust the emergency number or any "vet" they have there. They don't even know simple symptoms that occur when a cat is faced with a toxin.

I have 2 kittens and 1 adult cat. Purchased Sergeant's flea treatment because the 2 kittens were infested and it affected my adult cat. Normally I would have gone to the vet but my car is out of commission. I treated my three cats and immediately one started acting real strange. Luckily none of them really got sick but three days later the flea problem continued. I decided to look up reviews on this product to see if it worked as described to find out that many animals died and most got sick. I'm very thankful that this wasn't my situation and I will never attempt to use this product again. The reviews are simply horrible and I am in shock that this product is still available for sale. It's not worth the savings. Go to a veterinarian and get the right stuff. It's more effective and your beloved pet will be safe.

My cat had fleas. We bought Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick Spray for cats. Barely sprayed from back her neck to her tail. She started to clean herself licking within minutes. She started doing this yapping thing with her mouth, then it started uncontrolled foaming and her mouth dripping. She was walking sideways. And then she would barely move. I immediately washed her off and wrapped her up. Stayed up all night checking in her. Took about 3 days for her start acting normal. It says in the instructions humans are supposed to use gloves. Can't inhale or let soak through skin. I should have known if it's toxic for me to touch it will be worse for my cat to lick and ingest.

Flea and tick dogs under 33 pounds - Do not use this!!! It has almost killed my little dog! He still can't walk. Please take this off our shelves! My dog is so sick! I used it yesterday and he has been up all night... I even called them about it. My little baby is suffering!

I stopped at a friend's home to find her totally distraught. She had purchased Sergeant's flea & tick topical at a Dollar Store for her two cats and applied it the night before. Within an hour her one cats was having severe spasms, the other cat did not seem to have any adverse reaction. She was up all night and when I arrived and saw the condition of her cat, I insisted that we take the cat to the vet immediately. We did and the vet said had we not brought him in, he would not have survived. The cat had to stay the day on IV's and his temperature, which was elevated, had to be monitored to prevent brain damage. Upon returning home, the other cat was starting to display the same symptoms so back to the vet for medicine. Because she had washed the cat and administered meds right away, that one did not have to endure what the first one did.

Once I heard it was Sergeant's brand that she used, I knew what happened. I know of three other people who's pets were poisoned after using these products. My question is, why does the FDA continue to allow these products on the shelves as I do believe they also regulate pet products as well as those for humans. Until they do, PLEASE, DO NOT USE THESE PRODUCTS ON YOUR PETS!

I found one flea on my cat so I decided to stop at Dollar General to pick up a flea treatment. The only one they had was this product. Big mistake. Good night. I first applied at my cat started running around the whole house foaming at the mouth and shaking. When I contacted the emergency number I was advised that this is normal and that my cat must have licked a spot on the fur that it had touched and that she was doing that because it was better to the taste. It made sense to me and I felt more confident since I was contacting the brand directly that they knew what they were talking about.

A few days later we noticed giant clumps and clumps of my cat's hair all throughout the house and it was everywhere! I started to check my cat and noticed that from the middle of the neck down to the shoulder blades where this product was applied there was nothing but 1 million scabs and bald spots all over my cat. I could not believe my eyes at how bad this product has hurt my cat! This is ridiculous that a product would leave such bad scabs and blood on a poor innocent cat. I have used flea treatments before and never had this encounter. I am so appalled! I can understand that some cats have sensitive skin but when I read the rest of the reviews and cats are actually dying and having seizures from this product and it is not being addressed as an issue is very discomforting to me. Shame on this company!

When I contacted the company to let them know what had happened with the chemical burn to my cat I was advised to take them immediately to the vet - that this was not normal and they could do nothing about it because they did not know if this was caused by their product. YES it is caused by your product as the scabs and hair falling out is only in the spots that this product was applied. Are you kidding me!!! How about you take responsibility for your product instead of putting this off to another company for a vet bill charge that should be on your company! Your product and your customer service has set a bad name for myself and all of my friends and family. This is not the only site this will be posted on! Picture posted below of the few of many spots of the chemical burns!

After buying 4 items of flea prevention/killing liquids, sprays, collar, I have concluded Sergeant's products simply don't work... I have a 5 pound toy Pomeranian, and applied the shampoo first, then a flea collar, and the drops on behind her head... After waiting 24, then 48 hours to see if they had any effect, I noticed her scratching as much as before I ever applied the products. Pure junk in my opinion...

Pretect Squeeze-on Flea Control for Cats and Kittens - Discovered that the 12 week old kittens I had gotten from a friend had fleas last night so went out to local Dept store to get flea medication. Put the medicine on the kittens and one started frothing at the mouth and crying and the other one sneezed and sneezed running around in an erratic manner. Got warm towels and washed their face and then the back of their necks to get as much of the product off that we could. It was horrible for them as they were clearly in pain and suffering. My kids were very upset. What a horrible product. I will be taking the flea shampoo and the remaining product back to the store. I will take the kittens to the vet next week and buy the product through the Vet.

My grandma put the flea and tick cream on my cat Mia, she's just over a year old. She put it on around 1, by 3 my cat was acting crazy bouncing all over. I picked her up and ran to my grandmother asking what do I do?! I laid her on the bathroom floor and tried getting her to drink water, she then went into a seizure. (I have a Pomeranian who has epilepsy, so I know how to handle seizures.) I held her while she had a seizure to make sure she didn't hit her head, but I ended up with scratches all down my leg, something she's never done before.

With my dog, when he has a seizure, after he's done, he pukes and moves on, Mia on the other hand had tremors really bad and at this moment I still didn't even know what was causing this, then I seen that something was put on her back, I asked my grandma if she put anything on her and she handed me the box and it was Sergeant's flea and tick. I called Animal Poison Control and told them. They said it was definitely caused by that and that I needed to get her to a Emergency Vet ASAP cause she will not make it if I don't. We had to drive an hour away at 4 am and take this poor baby in to the Vet. To make it worse, on the way there, as I'm holding her, she goes into another seizure, and got stiff, and stopped breathing for about 5-7 seconds. I almost freaked out then and there but then somehow, some way, she managed to pull herself out of it and start breathing again.

I prayed and prayed the whole way there for this baby of mine. They had to give her muscle relaxers, anti seizure medication, and shaved her whole back. We then had to take her straight from there to our regular vet and had to leave her there for about 8 hours while they administered an IV to her and watched to make sure she didn't have any seizures, luckily, when we came to pick her up, the vet said she hasn't had any more seizures and just had some tremoring and to take her home, put her in a quiet place and let her sleep and offer her some food and water. And on the way home she was already lifting her head up looking out the window and starting to go back to normal.

Ever since she got home she won't leave my side and even sleeps right next to me now, I guess that's her way of saying I love you and thank you. Luckily my baby made it through this. I'm so sorry for anybody who wasn't so lucky. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SERGEANT'S!! They will poison and kill your pets! P.S. I posted a picture below of my baby Mia with her shaved back, this was a few hours after we picked her up and I was petting her and she flipped over and went to sleep like this, she must have been so happy to finally be home. I thank God and the vets for keeping her with me.

Silver flea and tick treatment - I treated my 3 lb. Chihuahua's bedding with this product and my husband put a very small amount, about one spray, at the base of his head. My dog became very very ill. He was unable to walk, stand or swallow. His back legs became useless and could not move. The same happened to his throat. He suffered tremors and seizures. He has never had any of these afflictions before and all occurred within one hour of contact. We rushed him to the vet, who after looking at the ingredients of the product, agreed that our dog had been poisoned. He has suffered possible permanent neurological damage. It has been 5 days since initial contact, his legs are still very weak and he is still unable to eat on his his own. The cost in vet bill and emotional strain have been huge.

Not happy at all. I put this on my 2 cats. I woke up, one was dead and my other one is in critical condition, shaking, can't walk, chattering with its mouth constantly. I think she'll be fine but I would not recommend this to anybody!!!

I had never used these before, and bought it as a less costly alternative to Frontline Plus. It came in a single-dose tube. Within about 15 minutes of administering the drops, my cat Ditto began sneezing uncontrollably, and having trouble walking. Within about 20 minutes, he had a seizure. We called the 24-hour emergency vet, and they said to bring him in immediately, as they were neurological symptoms.

On the way there, Ditto had another seizure, only this one didn't stop. He seized non-stop the entire trip, about 15 minutes, to the vet. When we got to the vet, and told him we'd used these drops, his face just fell. He said that these drops were a neurotoxin to cats, and batches of it are frequently made too strong. Ditto was still seizing, by the way. The vet said that there was really nothing he could do for my cat. He said that even if he could try to reverse the neurotoxin, Ditto would have lifelong severe neurological issues, and that the only thing that could be done for him was to put him down. This product should be pulled off the market. Completely. Outlawed. My cat suffered horrendously in the last hour or so of his life. It was horrific.

Today I purchased Sergeant's Flea Collar for both of my cats and within a few hours they were both acting crazy. One would constantly hiss at me and try to attack me while the other one would desperately rub herself everywhere AND drooling. This product isn't good, at all. I immediately removed the collars and threw them away. Never I'm gonna keep those on my poor sweethearts. I'm furious. This needs to stop selling in stores.