1.00/5
Based on 57 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

764 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

So about a month ago, I bought my cat Sergeant's once monthly flea and tick squeeze on application. Almost immediately, I noticed my cat was sitting in the litter box more. I assumed it just felt good to him due to the heat levels for Ohio July Heat. In the last two weeks, I began noticing that feces was in the litter box, but he wasn't urinating as much. I had explained that off to myself as well.

To make a long story short, my cat is, as we speak having emergency surgery done on his urethra. He was foaming at the mouth, and was taken to the vet in critical condition. I believe with all of my heart that this cheap squeeze on is what made my cat sick. Some cats can have an allergic reaction to the chemicals in these cheaper brands causing them stress. So as I sit here crying and writing this review, I know that I could get the call that he didn't make it. Spend the extra $15 to get the Advantage. I know I will. My cheap ways may have cost me the life of my companion Bandit. As I sit here reading the reviews on this product I am surprised at how many other stories are identical to mine after using this product.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I put this product on my dog and two of the kittens that I had snuggled with the dog became exposed to the medication, within hours both kittens started having seizure like jerking movements and foaming at the mouth both resulting in death... The medication is listed below. Squeeze on Sergeant's Bansect Squeeze-On Flea and Tick Control for Dogs. SKU: 915359. Product Details. Squeeze-on flea and tick control for dogs comes assorted between doses for dogs over 33 lbs., and doses for dogs under 33 lbs. Specifications. Brand: Sergeant's® Bansect®. Volume: .1 oz.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I used Flea and Tick Squeeze-On for Cats and Kittens last night on my 2 y/o cat, Lamb. I usually use Advantage and she has never reacted badly but I tried this product because it’s a lot cheaper. I read the directions and put it on her like shown. My mistake was not going online to read reviews... I found her this morning acting odd, shaking/trembling, and twitching as she walked. I panicked and looked up the product only to find that I have actually put poison on my baby!!! And others have died due to use of this awful pesticide.

I can’t believe it is still being sold in stores. I washed her twice in Dawn dish soap, it’s been a couple hours and the shaking has stopped but she’s still acting lethargic and scared. I 100% do not recommend this product or any of Sergeant's products! If anyone has put out a petition to end this company I would be more than happy to sign and spread it around. I am so sad for the families who have lost their fur babies because of this and all I can do is hope Lamb will not be affected.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Unfortunately my cat is also one of their many poisoning victims!!! She is still at the veterinarian right now fighting for her life after I applied this medication (Gold Flea Drops) to a perfectly healthy normal cat!! The reports here are all true and cannot understand for the life of me how this product is able to stay on the market. Everyone who is associated with this product still being sold needs to go to prison for all the horrible suffering and deaths they are responsible for. Sick! Sick! Sick!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Yesterday, I applied the Sergeant's Flea and Tick to my cat (Louise). After a few hours, she become sick, trembling real bad. She was in so much pain when I picked her up. I rush her to the 24 hr vet to find out from the doctor that Sergeant's medication is poison to animals. This stuff needs to be remove from the market and from the stores. It seems like the company does not care and consumer is not aware of how danger this really is. I am going to contact the media and put awareness of this poison that is being sold into stores that is harming and killing part of our family.

They may be consider property to some, but my Louise is like my child. Yes, I had to paid money to make sure she is ok. The doctor gave her medication to help with the muscle twitching. Now, she is resting. I am so mad right now, reading all these complaints and the product is still being sold. Something needs to be done. Sergeant's hurting us, now it is time to put a dent in their pockets too. I am ready to file a class action suit against Sergeant's. Consumer need to be aware of the poison and effect it does to our pets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: July 1, 2018

This was my Bella. She would have been 6 yrs old July 15. I want awareness out to all pet owners. PLEASE DO NOT USE SERGEANT'S FLEA AND TICK DROPS! I usually used vet prescribed treats, however, after hours on a weekend, Bella brought fleas in the house from stray cats in neighborhood. My bed has white sheets, and noticed the beginning of a near infestation. Quickly taking care of Bella first, SERGEANT'S flea drops were applied to the back of her neck. Then yard and home. Bella was diagnosed with Addison's Disease last summer and nearly died. SHE SURVIVED! Thereafter, she received daily medicine to live. Her Addison's was totally under control. Now, within 24 hours of applying these drops, she developed a huge red spot. I immediately washed her with Dawn soap. Bella could risk going into major crisis. I know if she could risk this, give an extra dose of meds. I will get her to vet on Monday, I thought... Bella never made it.

I stayed up with her all Sunday night, laying by her side. Green-yellowish puss started releasing from her vulva, application site, AND eyes! She stopped eating the day prior. I had to carry her due to becoming immobile. It was very heartbreaking. This came on so sudden and extremely quick! From a spunky, crazy puppy, to what had become of her is still unfathomable. She couldn't lick for kisses. She put her nose to my face. Within a few hours, she left me. I felt she was ok to run to store. I came home to find my princess... Nothing can bring my Bella back. I can grieve every day for her. I MUST MAKE AWARENESS TO EVERYONE TO SAVE OTHER LOVED FAMILY PETS. This is in loving memory of Bella. Picture of Bella and I a few hours before she passed away.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Sergeant's flea and tick killer for cats. (Liquid squeeze tube). Soon as I applied to a few drops to my cat he started burning. I'm trying to comb and into her hair and she was in so much pain. I definitely grab the soap and washed it off. Gave her a bath and I hope she don't die. This is the worst product ever! I would love to sign the petition to get this off the shelves immediately! My email is **. Anybody got a petition to get this stuff off the shelves. Please email me or I will start one.

Original review: June 24, 2018

The Dual Action Flea and Tick Collar has caused my three cats to have rawness and infection with loss of fur around the neck area where the collar was for 3 weeks. This product should be taken off the market immediately! Hopefully, they will survive once I get them to a vet as soon as it opens on Monday. I hate having to wait for two days but we have no emergency vets in the small town I live in.

Original review: June 22, 2018

This Sergeant's Gold product for fleas and ticks doesn't work! I am furious with what it has done to my kitten. Instead of making the situation better it made it worse. I am heartbroken with the results of this product. It's a true danger to animals.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Sergeant's Guardian Natural flea & tick squeeze on - Don't Waste your??? I purchased 8 of these at my local Dollar Tree store. This product is very strong smelling & a rip-off! The smell stressed all 8 of my cats. And it did NOT kill a single flea! Now my poor little felines are in a waiting period limbo counting down the next 3 weeks until I feel it's safe to apply a flea treatment that does what it says it does. Meanwhile I am in a losing my non-stop battle using flea Combs in order for my baby's to feel some relief from their fleas.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased this Flea and Tick Squeeze On for cats and applied to my cat, following the directions. By the next morning Mojo was having uncontrollable tremors. After a month of complications, he started having seizures and he passed away at the animal hospital. After reading reviews on this product, I cannot believe it is still on the market. It should be removed to prevent any more animals from getting sick and dying.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My cat was a normal happy cat, loved to play with his sister. After putting Sergeant's Dual-Action Flea & Tick Collar For Cats on him, he quit doing his normal. Just stayed coward down. Then after a week we noticed that the back of his ears and his whole neck was covered in sores and blisters. Now his mouth nose and paws are also covered. From where he would scratch the infected areas. I called Sergeant's, but she said it could not have been their product. He is getting worse and my mom and I are on social security and cannot afford to go to a vet. I hate seeing my baby like this. I don't want this to happen to any other fur babies.

Original review: June 11, 2018

After reading these older reviews, I cannot believe this product (Sergeant Silver Flea Topical for Cats and Kittens) is still on the market. My brother used this topical flea medicine on two of his cats and both have convulsed for hours and are still trembling after almost 48 hours for one of them. We need to get the word out on this product. They are selling it at Budget dollar stores and causing lower income people hardships.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I'm writing this review for a product I used a couple years ago. My mom and I were trying to get rid of fleas on our cat, and money was tight so we couldn't afford the high end flea medicine like Advantage and Frontline so instead we bought Sergeant's Silver Flea & Tick medicine from Dollar General, and within 15 minutes of applying it my cat was very lethargic, and wouldn't eat, wouldn't play, obviously just wasn't herself. I immediately went to the computer and did a little research, and wasn't too pleased to read what chemicals were in the product, so I gave my cat a bath and scrubbed out the toxic chemicals the best I could. (My cat was so affected by the Sergeant's Silver that she didn't even care about the bath, like, at all, and those of you who have a cat that doesn't like water know what I'm talking about.)

After a few days of monitoring my poor kitty, she started to eat and drink again, and on about the 7th day after I bathed her she was back to her playful happy self. I was fortunate enough to not lose my cat to this terrible product, but sadly, based on other reviews I read, others were not so fortunate, so my advice to anyone considering buying this product or any product sold by Sergeant's is PLEASE save your pet the suffering and spend the money on trusted products, but if you don't have the money, find another way like combing your cat every day or bathing it as often as possible, but stay away from Sergeant's products.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I am so upset with this product. This flea and tick collar we purchased literally burned the hair and neck on my cat to the point that it is literally raw. This product seriously needs to be taken off all the shelves everywhere! I hope my poor kitty makes it through the next few days to get the poison out of his system. I can't even imagine what this is going to cost in vet bills if I have to take him there. So disgusted!

Original review: May 12, 2018

Sergeants Silver Flea - After using this product my cat started acting strange. Visited the vet and needless to say my baby died after they tried reviving him three times! This needs to come off the shelves! IMMEDIATELY! And after reading reviews which you don’t think of till it’s obviously too late. Why has the product not been removed already?!?! I don’t understand why the product is still on shelves after there has been this many reports of it causing harm and death to animals!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have used many different flea products on my cats and have never had any adverse reactions. I purchased Sergeants Silver Squeeze-On for Cats & Kittens to save some money. After applying this to my three cats, all of them got extremely ill; tremors, problems standing/walking, and crying when picked up (like it hurt them). Removed as much off of them as possible and it was several days before they improved (I thought my senior cat was going to die; she also quit eating and hid for a couple more days). This product should be removed from shelves!

Original review: April 9, 2018

We bought this thinking it would help, in NO WAY DID THIS HELP! My poor cat started running around the house as if it was burning him and I thought to myself, maybe the fleas are moving around and the product is working? Then AFTER A FEW SECONDS my poor cat started foaming from the mouth and vomiting and twitching!!! I got so scared I grabbed him and ran to the bathtub and bathed him with cat shampoo and dried him off with a towel, the scent was so strong even after bathing him I could still smell it in him!!! Not only him but on my fingers!

They are asking for a lawsuit and I am screenshotting everyone’s responses because from what I’ve seen, they had the same thing happened to thing. I am glad there is proof. We need to stop this, and I feel sooooo horrible with the thought of people buying this without knowing the harm they are doing to their cats or dogs. Please, if you love your pet, do not buy this. There’s so many horrible reviews, I wish I would have read them before I applied the product to my cat. So many people have also said their poor cat ended up dying. This is poison. I am contacting them tomorrow morning. I am BEYOND PISSED. They messed with the wrong girl.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have a ten pound indoor housecat in good health. I purchased Sergeant's Flea & Tick Collar, Dual Action, for Cats from a local grocery store and put it on my cat. She was shaking and drooling when I checked on her less than ten minutes later. She has never had a reaction like that to anything before or since. I took the collar off of her as fast as I could, picked her up, threw her into the kitchen sink and washed her with soap multiple times before rinsing her thoroughly. The shaking went away within fifteen minutes of taking off that collar. She was wearing the collar looking out of the window when this occurred. We've used Advantage and Frontline on her over the years and they've both been fine. She's been to the vet since this occurred and has no lasting damage. I will never use anything from Sergeant's ever again, and I'm horrified that this product is on the market.

Original review: April 6, 2018

One of our cats has to be given anti-seizure medication for the remainder of his life because we used this product (Sergeant's Silver flea & tick spray) once on him! It is a horrible thing to watch a beloved pet foaming at the mouth and its body twist on itself and bounce around in Grand Mal seizures. Another long-term effect/consequence of having used Sergeant's Silver on our poor cat is that he now has what is known as "multiple chemical sensitivity" (MCS), so not only can we not use any other flea control treatment on him, but also have to be very selective about which we use on our other pets he comes into contact with, as well as every other type product around the house (cleaning, air fresheners, hygiene/beauty products, etc) because since his severe reaction to Sergeant's Silver, any product can trigger a horrific seizure.

Original review: April 5, 2018

All of these products are awful, the reactions of my pets are horrifying. After using the medicine my cats began to shake like they had tremors. I am so worried for their well-being. Please do not purchase their product. IDK if my animals are going to live.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Sergeant's topical flea med for dogs - I bought this product for my dog at the Dollar Tree. First mistake, I put the medicine on the back of my dog's neck, within a couple hours he starting wobbling when he walked. About six hours into it he couldn't get up at all, I immediately called the vet, I brought him in. They had to give my baby an IV of charcoal to absorb all the poison. The vet told me the ingredients that were in the medicine is the same ingredient they use for killing roaches!!! Now here's the other disturbing issue, I think this crap may have been recalled, BUT it is still being sold in stores such as the Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and such. I thought I could save a couple dollars, but almost cost my dog his life. I will never make that mistake again, my dog goes to the vet now for his treatment. Now just remember as well, my dog weighs 180 and is a rotti, and within hours it took him down.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Allergy reaction - After applying Sentry Pro XFT (61lbs and over) on my 90 lb dog. We noticed that he was shaking his head repeatedly. Thinking he had an ear infection we took him to the vet. Dr. prescribed drops for yeast infection though there was little indication of an infection. The head shaking progressively got worse. We bathed him in Dawn (42 hours later). Three days following his bath, the head shaking resolved. We attributed his recovery to the ear drops. One month later we treated him again with the Sentry Pro XFT and the head shaking began within an hour. We bathed him in Dawn again (12 hours later) and the head shaking is starting to lessen. Nasty product! I would not recommend it to anyone! No more over the counter products for our dog.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

After using Sergeant's oatmeal shampoo for sensitive dogs my dog broke out in hives. Had to go to vet and get him shots not thinking it was the shampoo. Thought maybe he ate something until I gave him a second bath. Same thing happen only worse. After researching Sergeant's shampoo found out it has actually killed dogs. Do not use this on your dog. Also I saw no ingredients on the bottle. Will never buy anything Sergeant's.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Very disappointed with this collar. 3 days after having it on my cat I noticed that she had been itching more often than she was before the collar. I then examined her and seen she had a huge rash on the back of her neck.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

There should be a warning about the toxicity level. I put it on my cat as directed, she immediately reacted as though it was burning her, she shook her head, scratched with her hind foot then shook her hind foot like it was on fire, later started running and bumping into things and foaming at the mouth. I tried to wash it off, it is very oily so it was hard to wash off, went to bed very late expecting to find a dead cat in the AM. Took 2 days for her to get back to normal. I should have read the experiences first. She probably licked her back paws and ingested it. This should not be sold without stiff warnings and maybe using a cone on them so they cannot ingest the product.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT. I put this on my cat on November 2nd. Two weeks later her hair fell out along the spine all the way to its tail from this product Sergeant's silver flea and tick topical. We bought it at Family Dollar.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

DO NOT BUY, I put one of their flea collars on my cat and 24 hours later it had eaten through his hair and skin on his neck. I contacted the store I bought it from and they pulled it off their shelf immediately. My cat is in a lot of pain due to the collar.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased Sergeant's topical flea prevention for dogs for my 9 year old Shih Tzu. I bought it for him because he weighed 11 lbs and this topical treatment states that would treat a dog 7 to 33 lb. I did exactly what they asked me to do, exactly the way they asked me to do it. This product did not take care of the fleas! This product also made my dog deathly ill! By the time I knew what was going on he had already passed away!!! He had Extreme Weight Loss, seizures, tremors, drooling, he had refused to eat, and on the very last day he was vomiting blood.

After the vet calls there was nothing I could do to help him! It was either wait to see if you would get better, or put him down. I chose to put him down, but by that time I chose to put him down it was already too late. He had his last seizure in my arms and he passed away. This product should never have been put on the market, this product should never made it to any shelves anywhere! The only thing that I am thankful for is my children weren't here to see him suffering the morning he passed away. They were in school. Do not purchase this product!!! This product gets an overall zero Stars!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We had a real problems with fleas with our new fur babies. So I went out and got some flea collars and flea drops for my 2 new kittens. At first when I put the collars on they didn't seem to mind them, but then I noticed the other day that my one kitten was scratching on her neck really bad. So I took the collar off, needless to say her neck was raw from the collar. Thank God I never used the drops. The other kitten I have seems to be fine but I also took his off for safe measure. Please do not use this product. It is dangerous for your fur babies.

Sergeant's Company Information

www.sergeants.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business