3.58/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Sergeant's

Looking for a good dog food brand?

806 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I recently bought one for my baby cat and she was not acting herself. Not thinking anything about it, I noticed that she had these chemical burns on her poor lil neck! I'm not happy with this company for selling something so horrible and cruel to animals and still on the shelves. I'm to the point if it doesn't come off soon I will sue and donate all the funds to animal cruelty funds and and I'm sure I can get a lot of people to stand behind me on this. There is no reason to have something so evil and cruel on the shelves. Take it off or you will see me go off! My poor fur baby is so miserable and in pain, that she is so innocent and I'm here to protect her and all the other innocent ones. There is no need for this.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Hi, DO NOT USE. This product is TOXIC to cats. Upon following the directions (we called Sergeant's to ensure we did so correctly) our cat had a severe reaction to the flea treatment. Within 2 minutes of applying the treatment, our cat was howling and disoriented. She was running around the house and acting erratically. We promptly washed the flea treatment off, along with all the hair in the area that we applied the treatment.

We called Sergeant's hotline and explained the issue. They said they would forward us to an animal med tech for advice. I was told I was being transferred to the 'Canadian line," and was immediately disconnected. I called back expressing my worry, and that I needed to speak to their medical team right away. The customer service agent responded with, "we have a med tech available, but not for this product. I can not forward you to our medical team."

We then read the reviews for this product online, and there are hundreds mentioning the same thing we experienced - along with seizures, loss of movement and even death. There should be a class-action lawsuit against this company for producing and distributing a pet product that is extremely harmful to pets. If you need further warning, read the hundreds of horrific reviews online.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My cat is dying. Having seizures, and I can't afford a vet. If he dies I'm suing the company, Bansect. I bought this at Dollar Tree this morning, and my cat is having severe seizures. I am very upset about this as I have a severe infestation of fleas from my new house yard.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My 4-yr old Calico female - Calypso - was loaded w/ fleas after escaping from the house for 3 days. When I finally caught her - I needed to get something quickly to quell the fleas. My vet wasn't open until Monday and this was a Friday night. I purchased the product at Dollar Tree, brought it home, and with some trepidation, applied it to the high part of her neck, so she couldn't lick it off. The odor was very strong at first and I was scared to death. She didn't react at all to it. While I was happily shocked, I was still cautious and watched for any negative reactions for the next 24 hours. There have been none at all.

I flea combed her 2 days later and only found 3 of the little buggers. She has no burn marks on her skin, and she has been behaving normally. I feel that applying it very high up on the neck made some difference, as she was not able to ingest it. She didn't even try to twist around and lick it. Again - I made it impossible for her to do so because of the location. This is the first time I've used an OTC flea medication and I'm relieved that no harm came to my baby girl. That was 6 days ago - still no problems.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I am writing this review as a public service, keeping in your mind your pre-message advice about your products. One, I paid 59.99 at the local Walmart because I, too, am on disability and live on a fixed income, $8000 a year. My dog Lola; she is a maltese/poodle mix that weighs 20 lbs by the vet. I bought the economy pack of 6 tubes of Pet Armor Plus. Had I noticed that it was a Sergeant's product I would not have purchased it in the first place as your product are not safe for the animal, not effective and like most large companies, value for profit far outweighs the quality of lives for the pet and family.

If you can't sell products that do the job without causing our furry family members vomiting, diarrhea, lack of muscle control especially in the lower half of the spine and other neurotic symptoms. I followed directions to the letter and I noticed all of the same symptoms people have mentioned consistently throughout user reviews, the key word being consistently and yet you have made no effort to change your product's effects or resisted putting profit ahead of health. Shame on you, Sergeant's. I would expect a class action lawsuit, sincerely.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Like an idiot, I didn't part my then 4 month old Calico kitten's hair. So this stuff slide down where she could lick it. It says on the box to feed her if she ingests it. I did. No matter, she acted like she was drugged out of her mind. Confused, catatonic, shakes, salivating profusely then foaming then salivating. Head and leg shakes and trimmers, etc. An hour after applying I did wipe the stuff off of her. The symptoms are worse the within the first 6 hours after applying. I went to bed but she was 80% recovered by morning and 100% by the next day or so. The month prior she didn't ingest as much and had fewer symptoms.

Two weeks later, it's as if nothing had happened. She's very much alive, spunky, playful, ornery. She still has fleas but they die - this stuff works like roach bait, it attracts the fleas so they can carry it to other fleas and kill colonies. I'm in the country/woods so there is no 100% to killing fleas. But I seldom have one on me in areas she has been.

Would I recommend it? No. Because I don't like seeing my cat that sick and me having to worry. Thankfully I have a low-cost clinic that offers an alternative I will use next time. But read the box for ANY of these flea killers - no matter the brand, they are all poison. That's the point of flea killer - to kill fleas by absorbing into the cat's bloodstream. Make sure you know how to apply it and what side effects to expect. It can be a scary thing. My Mom used this product correctly on her kitten. Correctly. Didn't make him sick and he's not best of health.

I would say if you must buy this brand or any product from Dollar General, Walmart, etc, READ THE BOX, expect side effects, clean it off of them within an hour, do what the box says, don't panic to a vet right away, and don't give this to older cats or cats with bad immune systems or are very sick. I read you can give them ** or baby ** if you feel it is a must. But unless your cat drinks it, there is a great chance they'll live and greater chance their recover 100%. And use only ONE PRODUCT A MONTH OR EVERY 30 DAYS.

Don't buy the "only the vets use the real stuff" gimmick. That's not true - you can buy 5 or more types of Frontline from many pharmacies, exact same stuff your vet may give. Only they make money from their markup when you buy it from them so vets will push it. Long story short. My kitten lived and is 100% but it made her very sick. I fed her after, didn't take her to the vet, and let it run its course. Still, I have no plans to use this product again and only recommend it if your budget limits you AND YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON BOX AND READ EVERYTHING ON BOX BEFORE APPLYING IT.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I just adopted a stray wildcat. He's beautiful! I named him Timmy. So I am buying stuff to get him all fixed up. I went up to my local Dollar General store and bought my new cat a Sergeant's Dual Action flea & tick collar. When I got home I immediately put this Sergeant's flea and tick collar on Timmy. In a matter of minutes Timmy was acting strange and walking funny. I went online to research and read reviews on Sergeant's flea & tick collar for cats. I was getting real upset about the reviews I was reading. Reviews of Pet owners dogs and cats suffering from seizures, burns around neck, in some cases even death and the list goes on. I immediately took the Sergeants flea collar off of Timmy and I put it where it belongs. The trash!

I cannot believe that our government lets pet companies sell dangerous products for our beloved pets. Perhaps that is why America ranks as the second country in the world for animal abuse. It all makes me sick! I am not going to take this experience lying down. I am going to research and find the important ones to complain about Sergeants. I am going to set the bar! I am going to raise the roof. I implore my fellow animal lovers to do the same. Raise the roof for the love of your pets. You all have computers? Use them!

Fortunately I write politicians, professionals, etc.. on issues I think are important. I do a lot of online research and writing so I already know how to get people's attention. You all learn and do the same. I read a quote that said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing". I plan on doing my part and I hope my fellow animal lovers feels the same way that I do. Outraged! May many blessing fall upon you all, your families, and your beloved pets. David

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

My girlfriend used this product on her cat and within a couple hours he was found having a full on seizure. We IMMEDIATELY took him to the vet and they confirmed they have had many animals brought in with the same symptoms after using this product. They gave meds to help the tremors and fluids and a bath to get off any residual flea medicine. All we can do now is wait and see if he gets better.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I purchased the Sergeant's dual flea and tick collar July 18th. Today, July 19th my 50 pound pit bull mix can't walk. She's stumbling and shaking her head. I see all these terrible reviews of the same thing happening to all these dogs and cats, some even passing away. How is this company still able to sell these pos poisons products???

Original review: July 17, 2019

These essential oils are TOXIC to cats, do research before you use anything on your pets. Your cat will get very sick if you use this. These oils are known to contain phenols and be toxic to cats: Wintergreen oil, Peppermint oil, Citrus oil (including lemon oil), Tea tree oil (Melaleuca oil), Pine oil, Eucalyptus oil, Cinnamon oil, Pennyroyal oil, Sweet birch oil, Clove oil, Ylang-ylang oil. The higher the concentration of essential oil, the greater the risk to your cat. If your cat ingests any oils accidentally, go to the veterinarian immediately.

Sergeant's Company Information