3.63/5

799 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I purchased the Sergeant's dual flea and tick collar July 18th. Today, July 19th my 50 pound pit bull mix can't walk. She's stumbling and shaking her head. I see all these terrible reviews of the same thing happening to all these dogs and cats, some even passing away. How is this company still able to sell these pos poisons products???

Original review: July 17, 2019

These essential oils are TOXIC to cats, do research before you use anything on your pets. Your cat will get very sick if you use this. These oils are known to contain phenols and be toxic to cats: Wintergreen oil, Peppermint oil, Citrus oil (including lemon oil), Tea tree oil (Melaleuca oil), Pine oil, Eucalyptus oil, Cinnamon oil, Pennyroyal oil, Sweet birch oil, Clove oil, Ylang-ylang oil. The higher the concentration of essential oil, the greater the risk to your cat. If your cat ingests any oils accidentally, go to the veterinarian immediately.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Today is July 17, 2019. I went to the store to buy "Spot-Ta" my cat some flea medicine, because when I pet her, I noticed she had fleas. I bought an OTC flea and tick medicine (I cannot afford to take her to see a vet, due to me being a disabled single mom of 3, on low-income budget). It was called Sergeant's Nature's Guardian Natural Flea and Tick squeeze-on for cats/kittens Peppermint oil. Almost immediately, Spot-Ta started to shake, she ran up and down the house (which she never does). She began to foam at the mouth. When we finally caught to rinse it off, she began to urinate on the floor, and very lethargic. Here we are, she has now secluded herself, and don't want to resurface. I am very scared for Spot-Ta....Someone help!!!!

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is a horrible flea product. I will never ever use this on my animals ever again. My poor cat started foaming from her mouth meowing. This product should be discontinued. NO ONE USE THIS ON YOUR ANIMALS. It stinks really bad. It hurts your poor animals' eyes and it makes them go crazy. If you use this on your cat more than once you're crazy because the first time should be a warning. It's horrible. My kids were crying thinking their cats were gonna die. I hope they take this product off every single shelf in the world. Now I have to keep a close eye on my cat for 24 hours just because of a brand that’s supposed to be natural and safe for animals and children LIES. And they have no fine print saying the product maybe cause foaming from mouth.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I thought my poor dog was going to have a heart attack after applying this product. Twitching, panting, couldn’t sit still or sleep until the next day. He gets a monthly tick & flea his whole life with no problems until I used this poison.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: June 26, 2019

My best friend just lost her cat last week because of this toxic flea collar. Fortunately, the veterinarian was able to save her other cat in time. I am writing on behalf of my friend because she is too grief-stricken to discuss her painful experience. The veterinarian confirmed it was the Sergeant flea collars that killed her cat and made the other cat gravely ill.

I have read all the feedback I need to read to know that too many pet owners have experienced the same heartbreak of losing their pet directly due to this product. Why is Sergeant's still selling this lethal product making profit off of pet owners who lose their beloved animal. These people bought and trusted this product to help their animal, not kill it. Sergeant's is living off their established name, millions of dollars in the bank and last but not least their high powered attorneys. I have seen bigger companies go out of business due to their ethics and it is time Sergeant has a class action lawsuit to compensate the pet owners for their tremendous loss. Although you can't place a price on a beloved pet, they sure need to be held accountable for their toxic products.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I put Sergeant's Nature's Guardian flea drops on my cat and within minutes he began foaming at the mouth, running back and forth frantically and his skin, where I applied the flea control was red as a beet. With the help of my daughter, we got him to the tub and bathed him to get it off of him. The smell was overwhelming and burned my eyes. I can't imagine what my cat was feeling. I will never use this product again.

Original review: June 8, 2019

We had a one and a half year old Cane Corso who was about 100 lbs and the sweetest boy, EVER. He was our baby. Completely healthy, never had an issue until we used this terrible stuff. Within 24 hours he was seizing and flopping around like a fish out of water. It was terrible to watch. We took him to the Vet, they gave him a bunch of tests. He tested negative for epilepsy and over the next 5-6 weeks the seizures were regular/weekly, but not enough to consider his quality of life so bad that we would have to put him down so the Vet figured they would try to give him medicine to minimize the seizures, hoping it might help and within about a week after that we woke up to him going into a seizure that he would never come out of. We raced him to the closest animal hospital and he died about 2 or 3 minutes after arriving. His temp was almost 120 and his body just shut down. This product is HORRIBLE.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Our cats have never had fleas. Then our dogs got them so I bought the Nature's Guardian Flea Treatment from our local Dollar Tree just for prevention. I figured it didn't need to be the best since they've never had fleas & still don't. I was WRONG! As soon as we put this on our cat (103 yrs old & healthy) she began foaming at the mouth & running around like she was on fire! We IMMEDIATELY wrapped her in a towel and sprayed her mouth out for 5 mins. Then we jumped in the shower and shampooed & rinsed her 5 times with Dawn Detergent. Hopefully she will be alright. This company should be sued in a class action lawsuit & Dollar Tree should pull it from their shelves! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! IT IS PURE POISON!

Original review: May 7, 2019

PLEASE DO NOT USE, IF YOU LOVE YOUR CAT! My cat now has serious burns to her neck and all her hair around her neck is gone. She is 12 years old and a tough cookie. Reading all these reviews makes me realize they need to be sued for every pet they have hurt!!!! I feel so bad for my cat and I will stick with what we have used for years!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Please don't use any product made by this company. Their flea squeeze application put my dog in the ICU overnight. Sergeant's knows. That's why the company reimbursed me on my vet bills. I did everything right. My dog lived.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My cat did not have fleas, but had wandered outside and I had rat in the garage. So I treated her. That night she began vomiting. That was April 16. April 17 I put her in the bathroom with her litter box and she stopped eating but kept vomiting. April 18, I took her to the vet, who gave her supportive treatment but said there was nothing in the literature about such a strong reaction to this medication. April 19, she is drooling massively and still vomiting, and of course very tired. I will take her back to the vet tomorrow, but I do not have high hopes.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My friend gave this to her cat and by morning the cat was dead. No health problems prior and the only new thing introduced to her. The cat was healthy and lived indoors. Could not have been anything else.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had Marley For 7 Wonderful Years. She meant the world to me. Unfortunately I used Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo on her and after the bath she started shaking hiding and a few hours later had a really bad seizure. I rushed her to the emergency vet and they kept her overnight. She comes home the next day and within a few hours she has blood gushing out of her nose so back to the emergency vet we go.

The vet sent her home with a ton of medication which I gave her around the clock. She still shaked at home, had a head tilt, walked like she was drunk and needed 24/7 care and monitoring. I even had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom because she wasn't able to walk downstairs. She could no longer get on the couch or jump down. She often stared into space. It was horrible seeing her like this for 2 weeks. She passed away on 4/4/19 and it was the worst day for me and my family. She was a healthy happy dog before I gave her a bath with Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. Please don't use this on your pets.

Original review: March 16, 2019

If I could choose zero stars I would. I used the flea squeeze on my 17 year old snowshoe siamese and my 8 year old Russian blue. I was cautious to use a new brand on my older cats so I split a tube between them. Within an hour I noticed my Siamese was panting and his pupils were extremely dilated, I washed him because I was scared the dosage was too much for him. Over the next few days he was acting strange, 6 days later HE DIED. My Russian Blue itched herself so much she got bald spots and the fleas are STILL NOT GONE. So angry that I allowed myself to buy this low cost brand, I lost my best friend because of it. :(

Original review: March 5, 2019

I bought Sergeant's PRONYL OTC Plus for dogs today March 4, 2019 at 2:45 at Wal-Mart in Pell City Alabama for my 5-pound yorkie. When I open the box the tube was almost completely empty, you lay your finger flat down that how much it had in it. The bar code 73091 05165. The code 0248k 12 1536 060318. I took it back to Walmart to exchange for a another one that wasn't almost empty. If someone bought something it was almost empty, I would exchange it for another one when you pay almost $6.00 for it. I wanted to email y'all to let y'all know about Sergeant's PRONYL OTC Plus for dogs. If that way Walmart is going to do customer when they buy Sergeant's Pronyl and it's almost empty want exchange or give their money back, am thinking about not spending my money on Sergeant's dog's stuff anymore. Thank you for taking time to read my email.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is a dangerous product. Immediately after properly applying this product to our one year old cat she fell off the bed disoriented, started foaming at the mouth and was leaning against the wall for support to try and walk to my daughter. WE IMMEDIATELY WASHED HER WITH SOAP AND WATER! WE ARE KEEPING WATCH OVER HER AND are very upset that a company is allowed to sell products that harm our pets!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Purchased Sergeant's flea and tick squeeze on for my 12 year old daughter's Russian blue cat. Applied it to the cat as directed and within hours the cat was lying on the floor going into tremors and convulsions and foaming at the mouth and nonresponsive. We rushed the cat to the animal hospital who are still trying to save her. She is only a year old and was very healthy until the use of Sergeants's product. We were told that if our cat survives overnight then she will have to remain in the hospital for days. My daughter is extremely upset and I'm sick to my stomach for buying this disgusting product. Cat owners BEWARE OF SERGEANTS FLEA AND TICK SQUEEZE ON FOR CATS AND KITTENS.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I put Sergeant's Gold flea treatment on my cat. He hated it. Ran around the house for an hour wildly, which I assumed was because he didn't like the gooey feeling on his back. Then, two days later all the hair fell out of the spot where I put the flea treatment, leaving bare skin with a bad rash. This product SHOULD NOT BE ON THE MARKET. It BURNED MY CAT! Sergeant's response was unhelpful in the extreme. Yes, this happens. We'll refund your purchase price. OUTRAGEOUS! One star is far too generous. It should be NEGATIVE 50 STARS!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My 6-month-old Dachshund mix took bath and nearly died... Couldn't stand. Kidneys were shutting down. Had to take to emergency vet for treatment. Just because of a simple bath. Will never use any of their products again! Would have sued if my puppy would of died!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I bought these collar for my 3 cats. My oldest cat has had them before. I noticed just last week she's super skinny, won't eat, drinks water, so weak, and is peeing herself. Went to the vet today, she's 4 lbs and is very sick thanks to these collars. I had to bath he to the chemicals off her fur. The vet is hopefully she WILL MAKE IT. TAKE THESE COLLAR OFF THE SHELF!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I put this collar on my cat slightly over a week ago. I noticed her bubbly spirit was gone, very soon afterwards. Upon rubbing her, I felt her neck it was matted hair. Very unusual I decided then to remove this collar. Today I noticed all her hair on one side of her neck is gone. I can see red tissue. I'm so afraid she could get infected. I have to get her to a veterinarian now.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

This is the most godawful thing I’ve ever seen happen to my dog. Vomiting, diarrhea, couldn’t sit still, I think hallucinations, scratching, jerking, etc. Yes, I followed the directions exactly. I feel horrible for putting this on my dog. Three baths later she still isn’t back to normal. DO NOT put this on your dog!!! Pure poison.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We put this on our dog and within minutes she was scooting around the house. Has anxiety and has had it all day long having convulsions. This stuff is horrible. Do not I repeat do not buy it. Do not waste your money on this product.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

With limited options at the time, I purchased this brand in lieu of Hartz Brand Flea shampoo because I'm aware of what Hartz can do to pets - didn't realize this would be one and the same. Aside from not actually working for its intended purpose, this flea and tick shampoo was incredibly toxic to my poor dog. I have an otherwise healthy, 11 year old Pomeranian that is still recovering from use of this poisonous product. Tremors, difficulty breathing, feverish, irritated skin, loss of appetite, loss of balance... When I realized this was a result of the shampoo I immediately bathed her in Dawn Dishsoap and took her into the Vet. I've now got steroids, antibiotics, bloodwork and stool samples to complete and must closely monitor her breathing. Hopeful that I'm a lucky one that caught it in time and got it off her skin while I still could. If you make the same mistake - DAWN Dish Soap!!! and Vet!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used this product. Within two hours three of my cats were shaking uncontrollably trembling into seizures! We had to take them to the emergency 24-hour vet which was a hundred and fifty per cat so there we spent $300 right. They call him the seizures down. We brought the animals home. They were still shaking uncontrollably but not in seizures. We had to take them all three to the normal vet the next day which was another $75! So me being a cheapskate and trying to save some money and bought this cheap product ended up spending $425 to save my babies lives.

Here is the treatment that the vet gave to us. If you have accidentally use this product you need to give your babies this muscle relaxer. This is what saved my babies! Okay it is a 500mg **! My cats all weighed 7 point something pounds. The treatment with them with this muscle relaxer was 1/4 of the 500 mg tablet. This brings your babies out of the seizures. Not permanently at first. You have to watch them for the next week and if another seizure comes on you give them another dose of the medicine! I just wanted to give this information to people because not everyone can afford to take their baby straight to a 24-hour emergency vet!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I used this on my beagle hound. We had to rush him to the emergency vet. His face began to swell extremely large and fast he couldn't breathe and it made patches of his hair fall out. First and last time we will ever use this product. It's a deathwish.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! Do NOT buy this product. Yesterday I bought the flea topical and put it on one of my adult cats and one of my younger cats and within 45 minutes my younger cat began convulsing uncontrollably while urinating and pooping on himself and did so for about an hour before we had to put him down to end his suffering! My adult cat is currently at the vet with IV and fluids suffering from neurological problems! Our vet said they do not know how this product can be continued to be sold at stores! It was by far the most traumatic experience ever! This company should be sued!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

TERRIBLE!!! It gave my dog a chemical burn. WITHIN 2 HOURS OF USING THE TOPICAL SOLUTION MY DOG WAS CRYING AND SCRATCHING UNCONTROLLABLY. I am watching the place. Even after rinsing with water and putting honey, aloe, and anti-itch cream my dog is still uncomfortable! Take this off the shelf!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Put on my cat. Couple days later I had to take off and wash his neck. Burned him and his hair around his neck. I am heartbroken. This should be taken off the shelf. I will never buy this or any other product.

Sergeant's Company Information