1.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 49 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 23, 2017

740 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Very disappointed with this collar. 3 days after having it on my cat I noticed that she had been itching more often than she was before the collar. I then examined her and seen she had a huge rash on the back of her neck.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

There should be a warning about the toxicity level. I put it on my cat as directed, she immediately reacted as though it was burning her, she shook her head, scratched with her hind foot then shook her hind foot like it was on fire, later started running and bumping into things and foaming at the mouth. I tried to wash it off, it is very oily so it was hard to wash off, went to bed very late expecting to find a dead cat in the AM. Took 2 days for her to get back to normal. I should have read the experiences first. She probably licked her back paws and ingested it. This should not be sold without stiff warnings and maybe using a cone on them so they cannot ingest the product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT. I put this on my cat on November 2nd. Two weeks later her hair fell out along the spine all the way to its tail from this product Sergeant's silver flea and tick topical. We bought it at Family Dollar.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

DO NOT BUY, I put one of their flea collars on my cat and 24 hours later it had eaten through his hair and skin on his neck. I contacted the store I bought it from and they pulled it off their shelf immediately. My cat is in a lot of pain due to the collar.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased Sergeant's topical flea prevention for dogs for my 9 year old Shih Tzu. I bought it for him because he weighed 11 lbs and this topical treatment states that would treat a dog 7 to 33 lb. I did exactly what they asked me to do, exactly the way they asked me to do it. This product did not take care of the fleas! This product also made my dog deathly ill! By the time I knew what was going on he had already passed away!!! He had Extreme Weight Loss, seizures, tremors, drooling, he had refused to eat, and on the very last day he was vomiting blood.

After the vet calls there was nothing I could do to help him! It was either wait to see if you would get better, or put him down. I chose to put him down, but by that time I chose to put him down it was already too late. He had his last seizure in my arms and he passed away. This product should never have been put on the market, this product should never made it to any shelves anywhere! The only thing that I am thankful for is my children weren't here to see him suffering the morning he passed away. They were in school. Do not purchase this product!!! This product gets an overall zero Stars!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We had a real problems with fleas with our new fur babies. So I went out and got some flea collars and flea drops for my 2 new kittens. At first when I put the collars on they didn't seem to mind them, but then I noticed the other day that my one kitten was scratching on her neck really bad. So I took the collar off, needless to say her neck was raw from the collar. Thank God I never used the drops. The other kitten I have seems to be fine but I also took his off for safe measure. Please do not use this product. It is dangerous for your fur babies.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Sergent's Flea Drops for Dogs - Bought these at the grocery store because I didn't want to drive across town to go to a big box retailer. My dogs had a horrible reaction -- itching like crazy and biting at their skin. It was horrible. I would not recommend these to ANYONE.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Awful product this "Sergeant's Evolve 40 Flea & for Dogs 40-60 lbs 3 Month Supply", my dog started to scratch all over the place, I had to make her take a bath at 6 pm with warm water and a lot of soap. I bought this Sergeant's Evolve product from a unethical seller from eBay who I am sure, knows that this product is toxic to dogs... The seller name is "goodsretailstore" from Bellevue, Washington. Their response after my complain was "Dear Customer, We are really sorry for your dogs, but we sold this products and still selling them for a lot of customers, and all the time everything was OK. We do not know what happened with your dogs and why they had reaction like this, but we are sure this is not problem in our product. Sincerely goodsretailstore." As you can see "goodsretailstore" does not care a bit about dogs, but only about selling a product which has been proven to be toxic.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My cat had been itching because of fleas for about a week, so I ran out and found this stuff. Put it on her and figured I better check and see how long it takes to work... Then I found all of these reviews and awful stories. I immediately bathed her 3 times and scrubbed the applied area with Dawn. I am now watching her to see what her condition turns into. I am so sorry for anyone that has lost a pet or had a harrowing experience from this garbage. You think you can trust what they put on the shelves... Not that you are unknowingly poisoning your best friend. They deserve a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought a Flea and Tick collar for my 7 month old pug, he had been itchy because of a few fleas and the vet we out of question this month. The collar was put on Saturday night, and by Monday morning it had burned his neck horribly and matted his fur up with pus. As soon as I realized what was happening I snatched the dreadful collars off of all 3 of my dogs. Sergeant’s shouldn’t even be allowed to sell these products!!! They are made to help our dogs and cats yet they are making them suffer even further!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR YOUR ANIMALS. IT IS DANGEROUS.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

PetArmor Plus did seem to work on my 5-pound short-haired kitten. However, I used it on my 10-pound long-haired Persian exactly as instructed (parting the hair and putting it directly on the skin in between the shoulder blades) and fleas seem worse now than they were when I first put it on two weeks ago. Followed up with a second bottle just in case I hadn't got it all on my cat, and it's still not controlling the fleas at all. Going back to Advantage. I just don't see how they get away with charging people so much for a product that doesn't work as advertised. I had read that the original Frontline used to be an oil. However, this is definitely not an oil. It's more water or alcohol-based. Either way, my cat is miserable, and PetArmor got all my money...

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We will never use your products again especially when you refuse to refund us our money on products that don't work. We have a multi pet home, 21 cats and 9 dogs, every month we purchase your F&T spot on for all our 4 legged fur babies, we spend over $200/mo. Last month applied it to everyone as usual and a month isn't even up yet and over 1/2 our cats have fleas already and 6 of 9 dogs I've gotten fleas off.

We called to file a complaint and was given a case number and told to email in our receipt, which I did and now I am told you can't help us as I don't have any of the original packaging or the empty vials. Who in their right mind would keep empty pesticide vials in their home with small children and animals to get into and god forbid digest poison. Use your heads people. Your business practices are fraudulent and you have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will not ever use another product from you of any kind what so ever, or any of the other brands you control. Word of mouth travels and I plan on spreading the word and making waves, especially when I have spent thousands on your products in the past and even recommended your product to so many.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My friend bought the Silver flea and ticks product for me because I was broke. I used one on my cat and she started tremoring! It got worse then stopped. Thank GOODNESS. If she had died, you bet I would have used my lawyer to demand justice! To all who have lost their pets, I am so sorry. Hopefully Sergeant's will finally take it off the market.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I used this product (Sergeant's Bansect) on my dog who weighed around 18 pounds. The flea and tick Martha I put on my dog was for dogs up to 33 pounds. About 2 hours later my dog started drooling bad, started to sway and had seizures. I took him to my vet and they said he was being poisoned by this otc treatment. They were able to help him but told to never use this product again. I tried using this to help keep down costs. I bought it at our local Dollar Tree. So not worth it. My dog almost died. And this product is still being sold.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My 10 year old, 12 pound Chihuahua had a bad reaction within one hour of applying the ointment as directed. He instantly turned red all over and acted off if the areas were burning. We had to rush him to vet emergency, he was given shots for pain and inflammation. He cried for 18 hours straight. We hope he feels better in 24 hours.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I'd like to share our experience for others. We NEVER use chemical in our home or on our animals, but we have such a flea problem this year I thought I'd give it a one time try. I purchased Sergeant's Guardian Topical prevention for dogs. I gave the dogs a bath in a mild natural soap and when dry applied the drops according to directions. Within a few days all dogs still had fleas and two of the dogs began acting ill, coughing and generally not acting "normal". Today one of small dog began vomiting blood with the coughing and is falling over and shaking. The only thing different we have done is used this product. I am sick and fell terrible that I poisoned my babies.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchased two of them Sergeant's flea collars and put them on my cats. I noticed my younger cat was starting to have a reaction and cut it off immediately, I kept calling my older cat but she didn't come in right away. When she did I cut the collar off as soon as she came in because I saw her having serious reaction to the collar. She been would not eat or drink any water and within 5 hours of cutting the collar off of her she passed away, I really miss her and I don't know how to handle this situation, and my younger cat is at a loss missing her buddy. This is a terrible product and I pray to God nobody ever has to lose another pet over this product.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

We are a family of 4 with a family of both cats and dogs. Yesterday we decided to do what we always do around this time and treat our pets for fleas and ticks. We purchased the sergeants flea and tick drops, brought it home and treated everyone. I then saw a thing on Facebook about the same product I had purchased. So I read and was shocked. We rushed to was everyone to try and remove the product. We got everyone cleaned up. No one had any signs of anything wrong until 3 am this morning. When our 4.5 lb petite adult female cat was seizing. We rushed to get her, took her to vet, and we were too late. We had the luxury of holding her as she seized herself into her own death. I beg people not to use this poison. If you love your pets as we do please don't buy this. How is this company even still in business.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I worked at Dollar General in which we sold these products. I figured to give them a try because I have 2 indoor cats and nothing was helping with their fleas. There's only so many baths you can give a creature before it's considered torture. I bought the flea collars for $4.00 a piece. 3 days after the collars had been on my fur babies, my boyfriend and I had noticed that my oldest cat (4 years old) had been scratching at her neck a lot. I cut the collar off her neck and was surprised with a complete bald neck and oozing puss and red irritation. I went to my other cat, completely outraged, and discovered the same issue just not as bad.

I called up the company with tears in my eyes and they told me "I'm sorry ma'am, there's nothing we can do. Here's a number to call to place a verbal complaint and you will receive a callback." Needless to say, it's been 4 months, no callback. Took my kitties a good month to heal completely and grow hair back. To the ones who lost your kitties over this product, my condolences. And to the people who are reading these reviews, TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I put the flea drops on my beloved cat, Sally, and she went from a playful, happy cat to a zombie cat who was foaming at the mouth and had dilated pupils. I washed her and prayed that my baby would get over it. Thankfully she did, but I read many other pet owners didn't get so lucky. I felt so guilty giving her this but made the vow that I will never buy cheap meds. No matter how hard I'm having it financially. It isn't worth the fear I had in almost losing my pet. I feel bad for people who buy this thinking they're helping their pet.:,(

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My puppy at 1 yr of age was washed in this shampoo. It wasn't even on for the recommended amount of time because I was washing dirt off of him. Shortly after the bath he started shaking. It got worse. I rushed him to the vet where they put him down. They informed me he had irreversible brain damage. His temp was 107. He basically cooked from the inside. My 5 yr old son is who helped me bath him. He witnessed this horrific death.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I bought Sergeant's Silver Flea Control for cats and one for dogs. The next day both my cat and dog had been vomiting and was trembling. I gave both a bath to wash the stuff off. They are finally eating but lost most of their hair. If I had a good lawyer I would sue their asses off. There is no sense in this product being on the shelves.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst pet product in the history of pet products. It's harming pets!!! How you are still in business. I don’t know but it’s giving cats seizures and making them sick. I can't stand a company that doesn't care about its consumers. Take. It. Off. The. Market. You're about to have a huge lawsuit! Gave a family member’s cat a seizure!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My one year old cat started trembling and he couldn't climb or do sudden movements. He was seriously ill after using this product. I will never buy this product again. It hurts animals and this should be taken off the market. It is not safe. My cat is alive by the grace of God alone. It was very scary and my kids were broken hearted. Take it off the market.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I bought this shampoo (Skip Flea and Tick). It stated that it kills fleas and ticks up to 10 days. It does not work. It killed some of the fleas on my dogs, but not all of them. It also has given one of my dogs a rash. Always check on the flea meds you use. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Sergeant's Silver flea and tick for dogs and cats - I bought this crap for my 2 dogs. One went into seizures and the lab/mix lost lots of hair, red rashes all over her body and never touched the fleas. This is so bs and for my 10yr old cat she has lost hair on back of neck legs and back part of her and lost 4 1/2 pounds. When I hang on to her she just shakes. How could this company do such a awful thing to our pets. Im not working now so dont have the funds for a vet. This is ** and they should have to pay everyone back. Not only do I feel so bad for my pets but everyone else that is going thru this. They want me to add a receipt who the hell keeps them. My pets had 2 wks before the next treatment so No all I have is the box left from my cat.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I urge you to explore https://www.sergeants.com/default.aspx... You'll learn a lot if you dig around everything you can click. I bought Flea and Tick for my cats... It's the season even if they're indoor... I paused when I got home before using it on my pets, because I tested it on the back of my hand and got a slight burn. It looks like nothing on the surface, but touching the back of my hand it's alligator skin... After doing much, much more needed research that I should have done prior to paying for any products by this company (I'm a little poor, so I have fewer options); products from this company are detrimental to your pet's health. Anything from them has a high potential of POISONING YOUR PETS, yes, even if you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I sincerely urge you to never using anything made by this company.

SHUT IT DOWN. WE NEED MORE REGULATIONS ON PET PRODUCTS. People shouldn't have to be pained by the fact that they tried their best to help their pet believing false promises. "Throughout the years, weve developed and refined many products that remain on the shelves year after year." They should stay on the shelf, in some warehouse somewhere awaiting to be burned. How long has any particular box stayed on the shelf? Are these things sent back to the company and restocked in new boxes and labels after expiring? Is that why there's some with a mixed view on them? How have your products been "refined" to this DEATHLY cheap point after over 140 years? (1868) Go back to the drawing board because this is deplorable. Doctor Rod **, for the sake of your "thriving companion animal practice", I'd run because it's already too late.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We got the flea collars for our cats about a month ago. In 3 days of having them on 2 of our cats had lost fur around their necks and their skin seemed burnt. We contacted them and spoke with a lady who said someone would be in contact with us but no one has. One cat his fur is just now a month later almost grown back, the other cat still has bad scabs and lumps in her neck but her fur has grown back also. Not that it matters where it was bought from because it seems that all these products have bad effects on animals but ours came from Dollar General. Not only do they have bad products but they apparently have bad employees too as no one has done as they said and contacted us back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Used the collar once. Within two days it made all my cat's hair on her neck fall out, and was bloody raw! Will never use again! She is fine now thank God. Will not ever use any of their products again!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I bought the flea and tick medicine from Dollar General for my cat and put it on her. Bad decision! Within a few hours she started convulsing and making weird sounds. We rushed her to the animal hospital where she spent 3 days and ended up passing away. Hundreds of dollars spent, a dead cat, and sad kids because I went the cheaper, faster route. I'm so sorry Cuddles :'( For everyone else, do not, I repeat, do not use this product! Go to your local vet and get Frontline! It's only about $7 more dollars and you won't have to go through what we went through. It was horrible to see her suffer the way she did. As for Sergeant’s, you're murderers!

Sergeant's Company Information