1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

748 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

I have used many different flea products on my cats and have never had any adverse reactions. I purchased Sergeants Silver Squeeze-On for Cats & Kittens to save some money. After applying this to my three cats, all of them got extremely ill; tremors, problems standing/walking, and crying when picked up (like it hurt them). Removed as much off of them as possible and it was several days before they improved (I thought my senior cat was going to die; she also quit eating and hid for a couple more days). This product should be removed from shelves!

Original review: April 9, 2018

We bought this thinking it would help, in NO WAY DID THIS HELP! My poor cat started running around the house as if it was burning him and I thought to myself, maybe the fleas are moving around and the product is working? Then AFTER A FEW SECONDS my poor cat started foaming from the mouth and vomiting and twitching!!! I got so scared I grabbed him and ran to the bathtub and bathed him with cat shampoo and dried him off with a towel, the scent was so strong even after bathing him I could still smell it in him!!! Not only him but on my fingers!

They are asking for a lawsuit and I am screenshotting everyone’s responses because from what I’ve seen, they had the same thing happened to thing. I am glad there is proof. We need to stop this, and I feel sooooo horrible with the thought of people buying this without knowing the harm they are doing to their cats or dogs. Please, if you love your pet, do not buy this. There’s so many horrible reviews, I wish I would have read them before I applied the product to my cat. So many people have also said their poor cat ended up dying. This is poison. I am contacting them tomorrow morning. I am BEYOND PISSED. They messed with the wrong girl.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 7, 2018

I have a ten pound indoor housecat in good health. I purchased Sergeant's Flea & Tick Collar, Dual Action, for Cats from a local grocery store and put it on my cat. She was shaking and drooling when I checked on her less than ten minutes later. She has never had a reaction like that to anything before or since. I took the collar off of her as fast as I could, picked her up, threw her into the kitchen sink and washed her with soap multiple times before rinsing her thoroughly. The shaking went away within fifteen minutes of taking off that collar. She was wearing the collar looking out of the window when this occurred. We've used Advantage and Frontline on her over the years and they've both been fine. She's been to the vet since this occurred and has no lasting damage. I will never use anything from Sergeant's ever again, and I'm horrified that this product is on the market.

Original review: April 6, 2018

One of our cats has to be given anti-seizure medication for the remainder of his life because we used this product (Sergeant's Silver flea & tick spray) once on him! It is a horrible thing to watch a beloved pet foaming at the mouth and its body twist on itself and bounce around in Grand Mal seizures. Another long-term effect/consequence of having used Sergeant's Silver on our poor cat is that he now has what is known as "multiple chemical sensitivity" (MCS), so not only can we not use any other flea control treatment on him, but also have to be very selective about which we use on our other pets he comes into contact with, as well as every other type product around the house (cleaning, air fresheners, hygiene/beauty products, etc) because since his severe reaction to Sergeant's Silver, any product can trigger a horrific seizure.

Original review: April 5, 2018

All of these products are awful, the reactions of my pets are horrifying. After using the medicine my cats began to shake like they had tremors. I am so worried for their well-being. Please do not purchase their product. IDK if my animals are going to live.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: April 5, 2018

Sergeant's topical flea med for dogs - I bought this product for my dog at the Dollar Tree. First mistake, I put the medicine on the back of my dog's neck, within a couple hours he starting wobbling when he walked. About six hours into it he couldn't get up at all, I immediately called the vet, I brought him in. They had to give my baby an IV of charcoal to absorb all the poison. The vet told me the ingredients that were in the medicine is the same ingredient they use for killing roaches!!! Now here's the other disturbing issue, I think this crap may have been recalled, BUT it is still being sold in stores such as the Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and such. I thought I could save a couple dollars, but almost cost my dog his life. I will never make that mistake again, my dog goes to the vet now for his treatment. Now just remember as well, my dog weighs 180 and is a rotti, and within hours it took him down.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Allergy reaction - After applying Sentry Pro XFT (61lbs and over) on my 90 lb dog. We noticed that he was shaking his head repeatedly. Thinking he had an ear infection we took him to the vet. Dr. prescribed drops for yeast infection though there was little indication of an infection. The head shaking progressively got worse. We bathed him in Dawn (42 hours later). Three days following his bath, the head shaking resolved. We attributed his recovery to the ear drops. One month later we treated him again with the Sentry Pro XFT and the head shaking began within an hour. We bathed him in Dawn again (12 hours later) and the head shaking is starting to lessen. Nasty product! I would not recommend it to anyone! No more over the counter products for our dog.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

After using Sergeant's oatmeal shampoo for sensitive dogs my dog broke out in hives. Had to go to vet and get him shots not thinking it was the shampoo. Thought maybe he ate something until I gave him a second bath. Same thing happen only worse. After researching Sergeant's shampoo found out it has actually killed dogs. Do not use this on your dog. Also I saw no ingredients on the bottle. Will never buy anything Sergeant's.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Very disappointed with this collar. 3 days after having it on my cat I noticed that she had been itching more often than she was before the collar. I then examined her and seen she had a huge rash on the back of her neck.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

There should be a warning about the toxicity level. I put it on my cat as directed, she immediately reacted as though it was burning her, she shook her head, scratched with her hind foot then shook her hind foot like it was on fire, later started running and bumping into things and foaming at the mouth. I tried to wash it off, it is very oily so it was hard to wash off, went to bed very late expecting to find a dead cat in the AM. Took 2 days for her to get back to normal. I should have read the experiences first. She probably licked her back paws and ingested it. This should not be sold without stiff warnings and maybe using a cone on them so they cannot ingest the product.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT. I put this on my cat on November 2nd. Two weeks later her hair fell out along the spine all the way to its tail from this product Sergeant's silver flea and tick topical. We bought it at Family Dollar.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

DO NOT BUY, I put one of their flea collars on my cat and 24 hours later it had eaten through his hair and skin on his neck. I contacted the store I bought it from and they pulled it off their shelf immediately. My cat is in a lot of pain due to the collar.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased Sergeant's topical flea prevention for dogs for my 9 year old Shih Tzu. I bought it for him because he weighed 11 lbs and this topical treatment states that would treat a dog 7 to 33 lb. I did exactly what they asked me to do, exactly the way they asked me to do it. This product did not take care of the fleas! This product also made my dog deathly ill! By the time I knew what was going on he had already passed away!!! He had Extreme Weight Loss, seizures, tremors, drooling, he had refused to eat, and on the very last day he was vomiting blood.

After the vet calls there was nothing I could do to help him! It was either wait to see if you would get better, or put him down. I chose to put him down, but by that time I chose to put him down it was already too late. He had his last seizure in my arms and he passed away. This product should never have been put on the market, this product should never made it to any shelves anywhere! The only thing that I am thankful for is my children weren't here to see him suffering the morning he passed away. They were in school. Do not purchase this product!!! This product gets an overall zero Stars!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We had a real problems with fleas with our new fur babies. So I went out and got some flea collars and flea drops for my 2 new kittens. At first when I put the collars on they didn't seem to mind them, but then I noticed the other day that my one kitten was scratching on her neck really bad. So I took the collar off, needless to say her neck was raw from the collar. Thank God I never used the drops. The other kitten I have seems to be fine but I also took his off for safe measure. Please do not use this product. It is dangerous for your fur babies.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Sergent's Flea Drops for Dogs - Bought these at the grocery store because I didn't want to drive across town to go to a big box retailer. My dogs had a horrible reaction -- itching like crazy and biting at their skin. It was horrible. I would not recommend these to ANYONE.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Awful product this "Sergeant's Evolve 40 Flea & for Dogs 40-60 lbs 3 Month Supply", my dog started to scratch all over the place, I had to make her take a bath at 6 pm with warm water and a lot of soap. I bought this Sergeant's Evolve product from a unethical seller from eBay who I am sure, knows that this product is toxic to dogs... The seller name is "goodsretailstore" from Bellevue, Washington. Their response after my complain was "Dear Customer, We are really sorry for your dogs, but we sold this products and still selling them for a lot of customers, and all the time everything was OK. We do not know what happened with your dogs and why they had reaction like this, but we are sure this is not problem in our product. Sincerely goodsretailstore." As you can see "goodsretailstore" does not care a bit about dogs, but only about selling a product which has been proven to be toxic.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My cat had been itching because of fleas for about a week, so I ran out and found this stuff. Put it on her and figured I better check and see how long it takes to work... Then I found all of these reviews and awful stories. I immediately bathed her 3 times and scrubbed the applied area with Dawn. I am now watching her to see what her condition turns into. I am so sorry for anyone that has lost a pet or had a harrowing experience from this garbage. You think you can trust what they put on the shelves... Not that you are unknowingly poisoning your best friend. They deserve a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought a Flea and Tick collar for my 7 month old pug, he had been itchy because of a few fleas and the vet we out of question this month. The collar was put on Saturday night, and by Monday morning it had burned his neck horribly and matted his fur up with pus. As soon as I realized what was happening I snatched the dreadful collars off of all 3 of my dogs. Sergeant’s shouldn’t even be allowed to sell these products!!! They are made to help our dogs and cats yet they are making them suffer even further!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR YOUR ANIMALS. IT IS DANGEROUS.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

PetArmor Plus did seem to work on my 5-pound short-haired kitten. However, I used it on my 10-pound long-haired Persian exactly as instructed (parting the hair and putting it directly on the skin in between the shoulder blades) and fleas seem worse now than they were when I first put it on two weeks ago. Followed up with a second bottle just in case I hadn't got it all on my cat, and it's still not controlling the fleas at all. Going back to Advantage. I just don't see how they get away with charging people so much for a product that doesn't work as advertised. I had read that the original Frontline used to be an oil. However, this is definitely not an oil. It's more water or alcohol-based. Either way, my cat is miserable, and PetArmor got all my money...

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We will never use your products again especially when you refuse to refund us our money on products that don't work. We have a multi pet home, 21 cats and 9 dogs, every month we purchase your F&T spot on for all our 4 legged fur babies, we spend over $200/mo. Last month applied it to everyone as usual and a month isn't even up yet and over 1/2 our cats have fleas already and 6 of 9 dogs I've gotten fleas off.

We called to file a complaint and was given a case number and told to email in our receipt, which I did and now I am told you can't help us as I don't have any of the original packaging or the empty vials. Who in their right mind would keep empty pesticide vials in their home with small children and animals to get into and god forbid digest poison. Use your heads people. Your business practices are fraudulent and you have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will not ever use another product from you of any kind what so ever, or any of the other brands you control. Word of mouth travels and I plan on spreading the word and making waves, especially when I have spent thousands on your products in the past and even recommended your product to so many.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My friend bought the Silver flea and ticks product for me because I was broke. I used one on my cat and she started tremoring! It got worse then stopped. Thank GOODNESS. If she had died, you bet I would have used my lawyer to demand justice! To all who have lost their pets, I am so sorry. Hopefully Sergeant's will finally take it off the market.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I used this product (Sergeant's Bansect) on my dog who weighed around 18 pounds. The flea and tick Martha I put on my dog was for dogs up to 33 pounds. About 2 hours later my dog started drooling bad, started to sway and had seizures. I took him to my vet and they said he was being poisoned by this otc treatment. They were able to help him but told to never use this product again. I tried using this to help keep down costs. I bought it at our local Dollar Tree. So not worth it. My dog almost died. And this product is still being sold.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

My 10 year old, 12 pound Chihuahua had a bad reaction within one hour of applying the ointment as directed. He instantly turned red all over and acted off if the areas were burning. We had to rush him to vet emergency, he was given shots for pain and inflammation. He cried for 18 hours straight. We hope he feels better in 24 hours.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I'd like to share our experience for others. We NEVER use chemical in our home or on our animals, but we have such a flea problem this year I thought I'd give it a one time try. I purchased Sergeant's Guardian Topical prevention for dogs. I gave the dogs a bath in a mild natural soap and when dry applied the drops according to directions. Within a few days all dogs still had fleas and two of the dogs began acting ill, coughing and generally not acting "normal". Today one of small dog began vomiting blood with the coughing and is falling over and shaking. The only thing different we have done is used this product. I am sick and fell terrible that I poisoned my babies.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchased two of them Sergeant's flea collars and put them on my cats. I noticed my younger cat was starting to have a reaction and cut it off immediately, I kept calling my older cat but she didn't come in right away. When she did I cut the collar off as soon as she came in because I saw her having serious reaction to the collar. She been would not eat or drink any water and within 5 hours of cutting the collar off of her she passed away, I really miss her and I don't know how to handle this situation, and my younger cat is at a loss missing her buddy. This is a terrible product and I pray to God nobody ever has to lose another pet over this product.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

We are a family of 4 with a family of both cats and dogs. Yesterday we decided to do what we always do around this time and treat our pets for fleas and ticks. We purchased the sergeants flea and tick drops, brought it home and treated everyone. I then saw a thing on Facebook about the same product I had purchased. So I read and was shocked. We rushed to was everyone to try and remove the product. We got everyone cleaned up. No one had any signs of anything wrong until 3 am this morning. When our 4.5 lb petite adult female cat was seizing. We rushed to get her, took her to vet, and we were too late. We had the luxury of holding her as she seized herself into her own death. I beg people not to use this poison. If you love your pets as we do please don't buy this. How is this company even still in business.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I worked at Dollar General in which we sold these products. I figured to give them a try because I have 2 indoor cats and nothing was helping with their fleas. There's only so many baths you can give a creature before it's considered torture. I bought the flea collars for $4.00 a piece. 3 days after the collars had been on my fur babies, my boyfriend and I had noticed that my oldest cat (4 years old) had been scratching at her neck a lot. I cut the collar off her neck and was surprised with a complete bald neck and oozing puss and red irritation. I went to my other cat, completely outraged, and discovered the same issue just not as bad.

I called up the company with tears in my eyes and they told me "I'm sorry ma'am, there's nothing we can do. Here's a number to call to place a verbal complaint and you will receive a callback." Needless to say, it's been 4 months, no callback. Took my kitties a good month to heal completely and grow hair back. To the ones who lost your kitties over this product, my condolences. And to the people who are reading these reviews, TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I put the flea drops on my beloved cat, Sally, and she went from a playful, happy cat to a zombie cat who was foaming at the mouth and had dilated pupils. I washed her and prayed that my baby would get over it. Thankfully she did, but I read many other pet owners didn't get so lucky. I felt so guilty giving her this but made the vow that I will never buy cheap meds. No matter how hard I'm having it financially. It isn't worth the fear I had in almost losing my pet. I feel bad for people who buy this thinking they're helping their pet.:,(

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My puppy at 1 yr of age was washed in this shampoo. It wasn't even on for the recommended amount of time because I was washing dirt off of him. Shortly after the bath he started shaking. It got worse. I rushed him to the vet where they put him down. They informed me he had irreversible brain damage. His temp was 107. He basically cooked from the inside. My 5 yr old son is who helped me bath him. He witnessed this horrific death.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I bought Sergeant's Silver Flea Control for cats and one for dogs. The next day both my cat and dog had been vomiting and was trembling. I gave both a bath to wash the stuff off. They are finally eating but lost most of their hair. If I had a good lawyer I would sue their asses off. There is no sense in this product being on the shelves.

Sergeant's Company Information