1.00/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

753 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

We are a family of 4 with a family of both cats and dogs. Yesterday we decided to do what we always do around this time and treat our pets for fleas and ticks. We purchased the sergeants flea and tick drops, brought it home and treated everyone. I then saw a thing on Facebook about the same product I had purchased. So I read and was shocked. We rushed to was everyone to try and remove the product. We got everyone cleaned up. No one had any signs of anything wrong until 3 am this morning. When our 4.5 lb petite adult female cat was seizing. We rushed to get her, took her to vet, and we were too late. We had the luxury of holding her as she seized herself into her own death. I beg people not to use this poison. If you love your pets as we do please don't buy this. How is this company even still in business.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I worked at Dollar General in which we sold these products. I figured to give them a try because I have 2 indoor cats and nothing was helping with their fleas. There's only so many baths you can give a creature before it's considered torture. I bought the flea collars for $4.00 a piece. 3 days after the collars had been on my fur babies, my boyfriend and I had noticed that my oldest cat (4 years old) had been scratching at her neck a lot. I cut the collar off her neck and was surprised with a complete bald neck and oozing puss and red irritation. I went to my other cat, completely outraged, and discovered the same issue just not as bad.

I called up the company with tears in my eyes and they told me "I'm sorry ma'am, there's nothing we can do. Here's a number to call to place a verbal complaint and you will receive a callback." Needless to say, it's been 4 months, no callback. Took my kitties a good month to heal completely and grow hair back. To the ones who lost your kitties over this product, my condolences. And to the people who are reading these reviews, TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I put the flea drops on my beloved cat, Sally, and she went from a playful, happy cat to a zombie cat who was foaming at the mouth and had dilated pupils. I washed her and prayed that my baby would get over it. Thankfully she did, but I read many other pet owners didn't get so lucky. I felt so guilty giving her this but made the vow that I will never buy cheap meds. No matter how hard I'm having it financially. It isn't worth the fear I had in almost losing my pet. I feel bad for people who buy this thinking they're helping their pet.:,(

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

My puppy at 1 yr of age was washed in this shampoo. It wasn't even on for the recommended amount of time because I was washing dirt off of him. Shortly after the bath he started shaking. It got worse. I rushed him to the vet where they put him down. They informed me he had irreversible brain damage. His temp was 107. He basically cooked from the inside. My 5 yr old son is who helped me bath him. He witnessed this horrific death.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I bought Sergeant's Silver Flea Control for cats and one for dogs. The next day both my cat and dog had been vomiting and was trembling. I gave both a bath to wash the stuff off. They are finally eating but lost most of their hair. If I had a good lawyer I would sue their ** off. There is no sense in this product being on the shelves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst pet product in the history of pet products. It's harming pets!!! How you are still in business. I don’t know but it’s giving cats seizures and making them sick. I can't stand a company that doesn't care about its consumers. Take. It. Off. The. Market. You're about to have a huge lawsuit! Gave a family member’s cat a seizure!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My one year old cat started trembling and he couldn't climb or do sudden movements. He was seriously ill after using this product. I will never buy this product again. It hurts animals and this should be taken off the market. It is not safe. My cat is alive by the grace of God alone. It was very scary and my kids were broken hearted. Take it off the market.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I bought this shampoo (Skip Flea and Tick). It stated that it kills fleas and ticks up to 10 days. It does not work. It killed some of the fleas on my dogs, but not all of them. It also has given one of my dogs a rash. Always check on the flea meds you use. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Sergeant's Silver flea and tick for dogs and cats - I bought this crap for my 2 dogs. One went into seizures and the lab/mix lost lots of hair, red rashes all over her body and never touched the fleas. This is so bs and for my 10yr old cat she has lost hair on back of neck legs and back part of her and lost 4 1/2 pounds. When I hang on to her she just shakes. How could this company do such a awful thing to our pets. Im not working now so dont have the funds for a vet. This is ** and they should have to pay everyone back. Not only do I feel so bad for my pets but everyone else that is going thru this. They want me to add a receipt who the hell keeps them. My pets had 2 wks before the next treatment so No all I have is the box left from my cat.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I urge you to explore https://www.sergeants.com/default.aspx... You'll learn a lot if you dig around everything you can click. I bought Flea and Tick for my cats... It's the season even if they're indoor... I paused when I got home before using it on my pets, because I tested it on the back of my hand and got a slight burn. It looks like nothing on the surface, but touching the back of my hand it's alligator skin... After doing much, much more needed research that I should have done prior to paying for any products by this company (I'm a little poor, so I have fewer options); products from this company are detrimental to your pet's health. Anything from them has a high potential of POISONING YOUR PETS, yes, even if you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I sincerely urge you to never using anything made by this company.

SHUT IT DOWN. WE NEED MORE REGULATIONS ON PET PRODUCTS. People shouldn't have to be pained by the fact that they tried their best to help their pet believing false promises. "Throughout the years, weve developed and refined many products that remain on the shelves year after year." They should stay on the shelf, in some warehouse somewhere awaiting to be burned. How long has any particular box stayed on the shelf? Are these things sent back to the company and restocked in new boxes and labels after expiring? Is that why there's some with a mixed view on them? How have your products been "refined" to this DEATHLY cheap point after over 140 years? (1868) Go back to the drawing board because this is deplorable. Doctor Rod **, for the sake of your "thriving companion animal practice", I'd run because it's already too late.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We got the flea collars for our cats about a month ago. In 3 days of having them on 2 of our cats had lost fur around their necks and their skin seemed burnt. We contacted them and spoke with a lady who said someone would be in contact with us but no one has. One cat his fur is just now a month later almost grown back, the other cat still has bad scabs and lumps in her neck but her fur has grown back also. Not that it matters where it was bought from because it seems that all these products have bad effects on animals but ours came from Dollar General. Not only do they have bad products but they apparently have bad employees too as no one has done as they said and contacted us back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Used the collar once. Within two days it made all my cat's hair on her neck fall out, and was bloody raw! Will never use again! She is fine now thank God. Will not ever use any of their products again!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I bought the flea and tick medicine from Dollar General for my cat and put it on her. Bad decision! Within a few hours she started convulsing and making weird sounds. We rushed her to the animal hospital where she spent 3 days and ended up passing away. Hundreds of dollars spent, a dead cat, and sad kids because I went the cheaper, faster route. I'm so sorry Cuddles :'( For everyone else, do not, I repeat, do not use this product! Go to your local vet and get Frontline! It's only about $7 more dollars and you won't have to go through what we went through. It was horrible to see her suffer the way she did. As for Sergeant’s, you're murderers!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I used this on my male chihuahua who weighed 4 lbs. I bought the right dosage and took it home and applied it to my dog. About 4 hours later my dog had a seizure. I took him to the vet and was told he had seizure and a stroke. My pet was only 6 years old and we were having to put him down. He was in a lot of pain and lost a lot of weight. Not only did the flea drops cause him to lose hair it also caused immediate neurological problems. I refuse to use this product on any of my other animals no matter how strapped for money I am.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Sergeant's silver squeeze on for cats - If I could give a zero or a neg in the stars I would. This stuff killed my cat. After about 3 - 4 hrs after putting in him he started to act different. Screaming and shaking. I didn't know what to do so I had call my husband while at work and asked what I should do. He advise me to try to wash it off. And about the 2nd time of washing it off (note that I took extreme caution while washing him) I made sure he didn't get nothing water or soap in his eyes or mouth. Well after washing him not even 15 after my cat had died. I was very upset. I was very attached to my cat. He was my baby. He was treat like one of my kids. Well needless to say if I could I would sue but I will NEVER recommend this product to anyone in any chance that it might happen to the animal.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Flea treatment - I don't like this product. I had it on my cat for a hour and she was foaming out the mouth and drooling. I then gave her a bath. Now she has diarrhea. She licked it god knows how many times. I really hope she will be ok. DONT BUY THIS **!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Bought this Collar 2 weeks ago put it on my 13 yr old Cat. By the 4th day I had to take the Collar off, Cause my Cat had lost all its hair around the neck, The Hair has since But now he has a GOLF BALL SIZE KNOT ON HIS NECK, He's lost weight. NEVER AGAIN!!! The company should pay my damn vet bill. Their fault he's now sick.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Made my Boston Terrier sick! She had fleas and I have cancer and my husband is a disabled vet and we were strapped for money. I bought this poison thinking it would help her and it has caused an eye problem and she won't eat or drink or go potty! All she does is lay in a ball and she acts like she isn't the same dog! You are murderers!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Bought this product because of course my little dog has fleas. Gave him a bath, applied the product as instructed... Three days later, COVERED WITH FLEAS! This crap needs to be taken off the market. All it does is waste your money, prolong your pet's misery and give fleas time to multiply! I only gave one star because you have to, but negative stars should be an option! I will not spend money on ANY Sergeant's product ever again.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I was forced to rate 1 star but if I had the option I would not even rate 1 star. I have 2 adult cats. Yesterday, I squeezed on flea meds between shoulder blades. Obviously, the meds adhere to fur and spread out some. My cat has been vomiting since yesterday and is trembling. I administered meds to my other cat today and it again was spreading because soaked into fur. He was trying to lick it. He vomited once after administration.

I researched product and was horrified at the large number of negative reviews along with the alarming number of sick cats. Why is this company and product still available? This company should be put out of business and have class action lawsuit brought upon them. Sergeant's has to know what their products are causing to pets and owners. I'm positive they are privy to all reviews and sick pets. I will write a bad review on every social media outlet. Also I will be contacting company and demand answers.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Sergeant's Nature's Guardian Topical Squeeze-on flea and tick - Ok... Stupid stupid me. I'm all into "natural" and I was given this crap by a friend. Of course, I used it on my 4 year old rescue kittie, THEN read the reviews. I used it on her about 45 minutes ago, then read the reviews and put her in the sink 15 minutes ago to wash her with Dawn, diluting it as much as possible, and rinsed her well. I noticed a little pinkish color of her skin, but that may be her natural skin color (I hope). I have 2 other kitties (one that has lost fur... no blisters, just fur loss, on a different topical I used. She did act like it might have burned her. She's the eldest, so now I spend $20 I really can't afford each month on Comfortus for her. Vet told me she's got a severe allergy to fleas, and I've seen her suffer before from the fleas themselves, but the Comfortus works). I have a 1 year old who WILL NOT get this crap put on him.

All I can do now is wait and hope Kali doesn't have any severe reactions... I don't know what I could do but pray if she does shows signs of reaction, but maybe I'll get lucky (not betting on it tho). We'll see what happens in the next 24-48 hours, I'll be setting my alarm for every 3 hrs so I can check on her, but I SWEAR, IF SHE DIES FROM THIS, I WILL DO WHATEVER I CAN TO BRING THIS COMPANY DOWN!!!! My next statement is this... Hey, consumer affairs... Why is this business still in business???? Look at these reviews... Whatcha waiting for??? Close them down... Now!!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Our 6 month old kitten had fleas so we went to Dollar General and we bought the flea and tick collar for cats with natural oils spice scent. We got home around 7:30 pm, put the flea collar on our kitten. At 4 am we wake up to him not being able to move, shaking uncontrollably, having seizures, can't eat, and he can't stand up to get his balance. DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR PETS!

Original review: June 26, 2017

Very unsatisfactory. I give my dogs baths then I put this flea and tick medicine in them. It's a disgrace to my dogs. I will never ever buy from Sergeant's again. And my dogs are suffering. Is this fair for my dogs to be going through this? NO IT'S NOT. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Sergeant's Dual-Action Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs - Worst collar to ever buy for your animal. I bought it for two of my dogs and one of them died today. I removed the collar from their neck 3 days ago. Be careful with the collar you buy for your animal. Your animal's life is more important than fleas. Trust me. I will never buy this collar or any collar again or even the pills for my babies. I refuse to ever buy anything from this company again. It killed my mother's yorkie dog who we had for 8 years. Extremely bad company.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I bought the collar intending to help my dog but it only furthered his pain. I bought the collar 5 days ago and I went out of town for two days. When I came home I noticed a red rash with little sores on my dog's neck. I immediately took it off of all four of my dogs and threw them away. I have now learned my lesson and will read reviews before buying anything else. If I could put 0 Stars I would. I will no longer be buying any Sergeant's products.

Original review: May 25, 2017

This product has nearly ate my pup ALIVE!! He was a happy, healthy pup. I used a soap of yours and he started with hair loss! I then changed soaps and noticed a few fleas, bought this spray and noticed a foamy substance out the mouth but figured maybe he just had a lil soap from the water. NO!! the next day, the fleas MULTIPLIED!!! No, my pug has extreme hair loss and I no longer have the proper money to take him to the VET!! This product needs to be RECALLED!! I will be calling tomorrow! I am disappointed I didn't look up the reviews first!!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Sergeants Gold flea and tick for dogs - Within one hour after applying the oil, my dog started with the legs kicking and blisters in the area I applied the flea and tick oil. This contains a poison to kill bugs, but should never kill the animal we are treating! My poor little man suffered two trips to emergency vet and many different meds from vet. He is a very small breed and used the product as stated on instructions. Called manufacturer and stated my dog is experiencing pins and needles (like when you sit on your foot and it goes to sleep) but the pain is constant.

They were totally aware of the effects this product has on animals! How could this product have even been approved for use anywhere? My little dog lived through this pain for five days straight, even after four baths, and he is still suffering the residual effects. Don't know if he will ever get his hair back and feel better, so this poison needs to be removed from any possible production or sales.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I have a Mastiff and a Chihuahua. I used this and it almost killed both of them... This product should never be sold or used again!!! DO NOT BUY THIS!!! YOUR DOG'S LIFE IS WORTH MORE THAN FLEAS!!!! Legal actions are being taken!! Foaming at the mouth puking, seizures with in hour of putting it on. You hurt my fur babies. I am coming for you!!!

Original review: March 16, 2017

Dangerous product. Within 2 minutes of putting on the flea collar from Sergeant's my healthy cat had a massive seizure, foaming at the mouth, whole body shaking and defecating on himself. I took collar off. It took 12 hours for my cat to return to apparently healthy. Do not use this product.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I always have a flea collar on my cat. I bought this flea collar & put it on him Monday. Today is Friday. This is what he looks like. I don't recommend this brand to anyone. It's heartbreaking. I had to wash him really with mild soap & hope for the best & hope the skin irritation is the only thing this collar did to him. I'm absolutely disgusted.

Sergeant's Company Information