1.00/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

738 Sergeant's Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Flea treatment - I don't like this product. I had it on my cat for a hour and she was foaming out the mouth and drooling. I then gave her a bath. Now she has diarrhea. She licked it god knows how many times. I really hope she will be ok. DONT BUY THIS **!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Bought this Collar 2 weeks ago put it on my 13 yr old Cat. By the 4th day I had to take the Collar off, Cause my Cat had lost all its hair around the neck, The Hair has since But now he has a GOLF BALL SIZE KNOT ON HIS NECK, He's lost weight. NEVER AGAIN!!! The company should pay my damn vet bill. Their fault he's now sick.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Made my Boston Terrier sick! She had fleas and I have cancer and my husband is a disabled vet and we were strapped for money. I bought this poison thinking it would help her and it has caused an eye problem and she won't eat or drink or go potty! All she does is lay in a ball and she acts like she isn't the same dog! You are murderers!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Bought this product because of course my little dog has fleas. Gave him a bath, applied the product as instructed... Three days later, COVERED WITH FLEAS! This crap needs to be taken off the market. All it does is waste your money, prolong your pet's misery and give fleas time to multiply! I only gave one star because you have to, but negative stars should be an option! I will not spend money on ANY Sergeant's product ever again.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I was forced to rate 1 star but if I had the option I would not even rate 1 star. I have 2 adult cats. Yesterday, I squeezed on flea meds between shoulder blades. Obviously, the meds adhere to fur and spread out some. My cat has been vomiting since yesterday and is trembling. I administered meds to my other cat today and it again was spreading because soaked into fur. He was trying to lick it. He vomited once after administration.

I researched product and was horrified at the large number of negative reviews along with the alarming number of sick cats. Why is this company and product still available? This company should be put out of business and have class action lawsuit brought upon them. Sergeant's has to know what their products are causing to pets and owners. I'm positive they are privy to all reviews and sick pets. I will write a bad review on every social media outlet. Also I will be contacting company and demand answers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sergeant's?

Original review: July 24, 2017

Sergeant's Nature's Guardian Topical Squeeze-on flea and tick - Ok... Stupid stupid me. I'm all into "natural" and I was given this crap by a friend. Of course, I used it on my 4 year old rescue kittie, THEN read the reviews. I used it on her about 45 minutes ago, then read the reviews and put her in the sink 15 minutes ago to wash her with Dawn, diluting it as much as possible, and rinsed her well. I noticed a little pinkish color of her skin, but that may be her natural skin color (I hope). I have 2 other kitties (one that has lost fur... no blisters, just fur loss, on a different topical I used. She did act like it might have burned her. She's the eldest, so now I spend $20 I really can't afford each month on Comfortus for her. Vet told me she's got a severe allergy to fleas, and I've seen her suffer before from the fleas themselves, but the Comfortus works). I have a 1 year old who WILL NOT get this crap put on him.

All I can do now is wait and hope Kali doesn't have any severe reactions... I don't know what I could do but pray if she does shows signs of reaction, but maybe I'll get lucky (not betting on it tho). We'll see what happens in the next 24-48 hours, I'll be setting my alarm for every 3 hrs so I can check on her, but I SWEAR, IF SHE DIES FROM THIS, I WILL DO WHATEVER I CAN TO BRING THIS COMPANY DOWN!!!! My next statement is this... Hey, consumer affairs... Why is this business still in business???? Look at these reviews... Whatcha waiting for??? Close them down... Now!!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Our 6 month old kitten had fleas so we went to Dollar General and we bought the flea and tick collar for cats with natural oils spice scent. We got home around 7:30 pm, put the flea collar on our kitten. At 4 am we wake up to him not being able to move, shaking uncontrollably, having seizures, can't eat, and he can't stand up to get his balance. DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR PETS!

Original review: June 26, 2017

Very unsatisfactory. I give my dogs baths then I put this flea and tick medicine in them. It's a disgrace to my dogs. I will never ever buy from Sergeant's again. And my dogs are suffering. Is this fair for my dogs to be going through this? NO IT'S NOT. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Sergeant's Dual-Action Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs - Worst collar to ever buy for your animal. I bought it for two of my dogs and one of them died today. I removed the collar from their neck 3 days ago. Be careful with the collar you buy for your animal. Your animal's life is more important than fleas. Trust me. I will never buy this collar or any collar again or even the pills for my babies. I refuse to ever buy anything from this company again. It killed my mother's yorkie dog who we had for 8 years. Extremely bad company.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I bought the collar intending to help my dog but it only furthered his pain. I bought the collar 5 days ago and I went out of town for two days. When I came home I noticed a red rash with little sores on my dog's neck. I immediately took it off of all four of my dogs and threw them away. I have now learned my lesson and will read reviews before buying anything else. If I could put 0 Stars I would. I will no longer be buying any Sergeant's products.

Original review: May 25, 2017

This product has nearly ate my pup ALIVE!! He was a happy, healthy pup. I used a soap of yours and he started with hair loss! I then changed soaps and noticed a few fleas, bought this spray and noticed a foamy substance out the mouth but figured maybe he just had a lil soap from the water. NO!! the next day, the fleas MULTIPLIED!!! No, my pug has extreme hair loss and I no longer have the proper money to take him to the VET!! This product needs to be RECALLED!! I will be calling tomorrow! I am disappointed I didn't look up the reviews first!!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Sergeants Gold flea and tick for dogs - Within one hour after applying the oil, my dog started with the legs kicking and blisters in the area I applied the flea and tick oil. This contains a poison to kill bugs, but should never kill the animal we are treating! My poor little man suffered two trips to emergency vet and many different meds from vet. He is a very small breed and used the product as stated on instructions. Called manufacturer and stated my dog is experiencing pins and needles (like when you sit on your foot and it goes to sleep) but the pain is constant.

They were totally aware of the effects this product has on animals! How could this product have even been approved for use anywhere? My little dog lived through this pain for five days straight, even after four baths, and he is still suffering the residual effects. Don't know if he will ever get his hair back and feel better, so this poison needs to be removed from any possible production or sales.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I have a Mastiff and a Chihuahua. I used this and it almost killed both of them... This product should never be sold or used again!!! DO NOT BUY THIS!!! YOUR DOG'S LIFE IS WORTH MORE THAN FLEAS!!!! Legal actions are being taken!! Foaming at the mouth puking, seizures with in hour of putting it on. You hurt my fur babies. I am coming for you!!!

Original review: March 16, 2017

Dangerous product. Within 2 minutes of putting on the flea collar from Sergeant's my healthy cat had a massive seizure, foaming at the mouth, whole body shaking and defecating on himself. I took collar off. It took 12 hours for my cat to return to apparently healthy. Do not use this product.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I always have a flea collar on my cat. I bought this flea collar & put it on him Monday. Today is Friday. This is what he looks like. I don't recommend this brand to anyone. It's heartbreaking. I had to wash him really with mild soap & hope for the best & hope the skin irritation is the only thing this collar did to him. I'm absolutely disgusted.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I recently bought Sergeant's skip-flea cat soap and washed my cat. Within a couple of days I started noticing a red like rash on his neck. I wasn’t sure what it was from. It has now been a week later and my cat's neck is very broke out. His rear legs are broke out also with a lot of hair loss. I will never buy this product again and I will discontinue the use of this soap and am very upset to have wasted money on this soap. I had only used this bottle one of soap one time. My cat looks wet in the pictures because I had just given him a bath with dish soap to get the soap the rest of the way off from him.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

***WARNING*** DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT OR ANY STORE BOUGHT FLEA TREATMENT APPLICATOR DROPS. Below you will see a picture of my cat, exactly where the product was placed, it burned the fur right off, luckily there are no burns on his skin. But this isn't even the worst of it. My little 8 month old girl kitten was going in for her spay surgery and they told us that these kind of treatments can cause brain damage in cats and they can have terrible seizures. Thankfully we have not seen any as I washed the poison off as soon as I got home from the clinic. I was so close to tears. How can they sell this stuff so readily available to harm our beloved pets. Please share this post to warn others. @Sergeant's PreTect and all store bought brands.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I honestly mistaken dog flea drops for my cats. It was put on her by honest mistake. She ran off and died the same night not sure what she went thru because we didn't find her body for 3 days. She had went behind something and died. This product shouldn't even be allowed to be sold. I wish I would of known death was a possibility with these drops. You would think it's all the same well it's not. My poor baby suffered probably a horrible death because this poison.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I wanted to let you know how HORRIBLE your product truly is. I witnessed someone come in to my place of work after using your product, after two days the pet was not eating, not drinking, or going to the bathroom. Finally started going to the bathroom and passing BLOOD! Then passed away the day following. So that's THREE DAMN DAYS after using your product a dog dies. A YOUNG, HEALTHY, FIVE MONTH OLD PUPPY WITH NO PREVIOUS ISSUES! You people are sick making such ** products. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I will make this public as well, it disgusts me a poor animal had to die so you could make pocket change on your ** product. I hope you go out of business.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I got this flea and tick collar for my 6 month rescue puppy. She's a lab and 32 pounds thank god so we didn't end up at the vet. Within 2 hours of putting this collar on she could barely walk. All she did was stand there staring off with her tail between her legs. She is normally in and out of everything. We could barely get her to walk to the car to go home from a friend's house. She could not even jump into the car. I read the instructions and "sensitivities" does not even begin to cover it. I cannot believe that I did this to my dog. Dollar General needs to remove this item from their shelves. I bought it because I live 45 minutes from any pet store and the vet was closed.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I've been using this product for years on my cats. You should just think outside the box. Yes it's poison. So feed cat, wait 1 Hour then apply. Then make sure you keep them calm (no kids, playing). If needed put them in a room by themselves.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I bought Skip-Flea shampoo to rid my cat of fleas. After a quick bath using the product, my cat began acting strangely. Within an hour, she was paralyzed from the neck down, with sporadic seizures. I took her to the vet, who confirmed that her symptoms looked like poisoning caused by the shampoo, and did everything they could to fix her. Our beloved kitty's suffering continued for three days before she finally passed.

I talked to the company multiple times, as did my sister and vet. They told all of us that the shampoo "does not typically cause those symptoms," but after reading the hundreds of horrible reviews on the product and Sergeant's company, I beg to differ. Their lack of compassion and responsibility is appalling and disgraceful. The fact that this product is still on the shelves and available to the general public is even more atrocious. The product does not advise to use gloves and recommends "no skin contact," but can someone please explain to me how to NOT get shampoo on the skin during a bath? Insanity! This could have happened to a human being, but because it was my cat, very little is being done by the company.

A representative called online reviews "liars" and "fakes" when I asked if they had any plans to take this dangerous toxic product out of stores after all the negative reviews. This whole experience, including losing my pet and the way their customer service dealt with it, has been sickening and traumatic. No family should ever have to go through something so devastating, and customers' concerns certainly should not be ignored like this. SHAME ON YOU, SERGEANT'S COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

After reading the company reviews of this product, it amazes me that CONSUMER AFFAIRS does not recommend that the small animal flea treatment be removed from the market. It did not work, made my animals very nervous, and in no way changed the flea population on the animals bodies. Fool me once, we'll try to work it out, but you won't get another chance to get me to spend my social security money on such a faulty product. Must be removed from all Dollar General Stores immediately. IT IS DANGEROUS, NOT SAFE FOR ANIMALS, AND PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT BECAUSE IT IS CHEAP. IT IS A JOKE!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Purchased collar at Dollar General. Put on my 2 cats of age and left a huge sore on my 6 mo old cat, burnt her fur off, and had stuff seeping out where the collar was.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I purchased this flea collar for my 12 year old cat. The cat has worn other collars before and never had a problem. Within 2 hours of having this collar on, my cat had a terrible reaction. He was stumbling, wheezing, coughing, and panting. His heart rate was out of control. I was able to get the collar off, and after a quick search of the internet, found that I should quickly bathe him with Dawn dish soap. He seems to be doing better now. I can't imagine what would have happened if I left the collar on overnight. I am disgusted with myself and with this company after having read all the negative reviews of this product.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Purchased this product to use on my beloved cat to save money after spending HUNDREDS of dollars & countless hours cleaning to rid my home of a horrid flea infestation -- HUGE mistake!!! I applied the spot treatment to my cat yesterday around 11 a.m. Around 1 p.m. when we left the house to run errands he seemed fine although I noted he was a bit tired-looking. When we arrived home a few hours later my daughter noticed that he was nowhere to be found. We spent 45 minutes searching the house for him only to find him hidden in a corner under a dresser, clinging to the floor convulsing, salivating, trembling violently, teeth chattering & soaked in his own urine. I rushed him to the emergency vet only to discover he has TOXIC POISONING due to this flea medication!!

Apparently the medicine builds up in their system & it can take minutes, hours, or DAYS for symptoms of an allergic reaction or overdose to appear!!! So my baby spent the night hooked up to an IV & a catheter receiving charcoal, fluids, muscle relaxers (they couldn't fully sedate him because his heart rate was too high & to do so would've killed him instantly!!!), laxatives, & some other medicines I can't recall the name of to counteract the effects of this POISON!!!

This morning he is moving around but not eating & he responds to his name, & should be able to be discharged sometime this afternoon however there is still the possibility of permanent neurological damage!!! Topical medicines like this should NOT be able to be sold in stores!!! It should be regulated & sold ONLY by a pharmacist or veterinarian!!! My whole family is traumatized over this! I have NO DOUBT that if we didn't find him when we did & rush him to the vet that he would NOT BE ALIVE today!!! This company needs to be shut down!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

My little kitten of a few months has had pretty bad fleas for the past few months since we had her, so we bought this product hoping it would work. We woke up at 4 in the middle of the night to her howling and crying in absolute pain. We can't afford a vet and have just lost our dear chihuahua of 9 years to a horrific accident, so we couldn't stand to think she was dying too. Finally she seemed to have gotten better and my mom stayed on kitten watch all night. Today she seems absolutely disoriented and as though she has no idea who we are or as though she is lost. I am feeding her a lot and giving her milk hoping she poops it out and giving her a bath to get it off her fur. Don't use this ** on your pets.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

My budget was tight this month, so I decided to just try this product on my young cat since I noticed a few fleas on him a couple days ago. Immediately he was scratching at it, which I figured was normal for flea treatments considering its an insecticide. I've never had to treat a pet for fleas before. Next morning he was hiding behind curtains as if he were scared of something, easily running out of breath when typically he's full of energy all the time and running around jumping on things and chasing flies.

When I picked him up because he was breathing so hard and panting even, his heart was beating way too fast. He acted dehydrated, and when I offered water he refused several times before finally caving in when I added some colder water from my cup. He's just not himself mentally either. He acts as if he's hallucinating and I've noticed tremors. He's constantly stopping in his tracks and throwing himself down because just trotting across the room takes his breath away. He doesn't want me to love on him or hold him... Normally I can't get this baby to leave me alone sometimes (not that I really want him to). I can't drive myself, and don't really have anyone in town I could call... So I'm waiting for my mom to come drive me to the nearest vet.

I've already washed him off, but it's been on him a day now and he's just acting like a totally different cat. Like he's mentally ill or something. His name is Jojen; after a character from my favorite books, The Song of Ice and Fire series. I myself have had him about a month and a half, I got him to be my therapy animal because I have Potsdam and bipolar 2 disorder (with way more lows than highs). I saw him being given away and the moment I saw his picture I knew I needed him, he has brought me out of a severe depression and if anything happens to his life I don't know if I can handle it. Not to mention my 2.5 year old daughter is extremely attached to him. He use to follow her around and sleep cuddled up next to her, now he acts like she's some stranger and runs away, she's gone through a lot too this past few months transitioning from moving.

I've used a pipette to make him take some liquid, I also mixed 2 of the droppers full with half water half ** to get some electrolytes in his system cause he's also had runny stool and his belly feels "off" and seems swollen. I'm calling the vet to see if it's safe to administer a tiny bit of ** as soon as I'm done writing here. I'm so worried that his personality is permanently changed.:( He use to be so awesome, he is the best and smartest cat I've ever had or been around in my life, he's almost like having a big dog in a little cat body. I had him following 6 different commands, 2 tricks and trained to walk on a leash... He won't do any of that now!

I swear, no matter what comes of this I won't stop until Sergeant's had to answer for what they've done to my family member and me and luck be with that company if he doesn't make it through this! I wish I had heard of these terrible ratings before putting this junk on him! This "company" should be ashamed... The whole company and anyone that works for them knowing they're manufacturing poison and killing people's beloved pets!! I won't accept any refund or "gifts" out of court. None of that fixes the damage that's ALREADY been done. I'm not stopping until Sergeant's is either forced out of business or changes their ethics and ingredients... AFTER they make it right with anyone that has had to experience this stress and emotional hardship.

I hope ratings can be edited after submitted, because I will be adding the receipt. I know exactly where it's at, I just can't get to it right this minute. It was marked at $5 here at my lock BIG LOTS store.P. S. THE FLEAS ARE THRIVING AND SEEM GENERALLY UNSCATHED. Actually the fleas even seem more abundant oddly enough.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

Used Sergeant's flea collar on my cat and just having it on her for a week made her neck very raw and lost her hair. Did get a picture of my cat for possible for legal actions...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I used this flea medicine. It killed my 12 week old kitten in 2 hours my 2 year old cat is dying now. They accept me to care for them. But your prettify product killed them!!! They are dead!!!

Sergeant's Company Information