1.24/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

578 Petland Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I bought a dog for $2,100. They said that stuff came with my dog plus I bought stuff for him. The next day, I returned the dog and the dog stuff. They said that I needed to pay them a $318 restocking fee and up to half of the cost of the dog. I saw on Credit Karma a few days later that they were charging me over $3,000. They kept the papers that I signed and the receipt. They gave me the runaround when I tried to ask questions but they said that the stuff that came “free” with the dog was an optional, $800 puppy package and that I wasn’t paying for a dog and dog stuff that I didn’t have - I was paying for “store credit”. They can sell the same dog and the same stuff to someone else and get paid twice. I don’t want to pay $4,000 for a dog and dog stuff that I don’t have.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought puppy Sept. 2017. My puppy was fine. He was housebroken within a month. I'm very pleased with him and love him so much, the only thing about Petland was they added expenses for various products they sell. He was fussy about eating so they sold me a product to increase his appetite and he did fine. By one year he was eating all the time without any type of appetite products. Health wise no problems, I also had another dog from there back in the late 80's and that dog was fine. Only had kennel cough of which they paid for the medication. So both times I was satisfied with my dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Petland Robinson, 1530 Park Manor Blvd, Pittsburgh PA - June 9: My family bought a puppy!!! June 11: After taking puppy to our vet & being advised puppy is “very sick” with beginning stages of pneumonia that will require IV antibiotics & around the clock care, Petland advises us to bring puppy back to Petland for their “free” medical/vet care (& advise they will NOT reimburse us if we leave puppy at our vet for treatment). Trusting Petland, we return puppy to store for medical care. We share our vet’s prognosis & her recommended medical plan to get puppy well.

June 14: 3 days AFTER returning puppy to Petland, Petland's vet examines puppy for FIRST time. Puppy is on oral antibiotic, daily antibiotic injection & daily breathing treatments. We note to staff, on our almost daily visits, that puppy’s condition is worsening (gagging, wheezing, coughing, lethargy, no appetite). June 21: We have continued to express our concerns, at almost daily visits, that puppy not doing better & is doing worse. Puppy is rapidly losing weight. Vet techs insist he’s eating well & playing with them in backroom. We insist on chest X-rays; we’re told vet isn’t “overly concerned” but agrees to do them.

On June 22, a Petland vet tech takes puppy to their vet’s Plum clinic for X-rays. Vet notes presence of “little” pneumonia on X-ray, changes puppy to different oral antibiotic & sends him BACK TO PETLAND. We continue to see puppy almost daily & continue to express our concerns about his worsening condition. We’re told “these things take time” & puppy is enjoying going outside with vet techs & is eating his food. June 28: Petland vet sees puppy for third time, is “very concerned” with puppy’s lack of progress & immediately takes him back to his Plum clinic for more aggressive treatment - to include oxygen & IV antibiotic (which our vet recommended 17 DAYS EARLIER). June 29 - the next day, Petland calls to inform us puppy DIED.

It is our opinion that Bill **, owner of Petland in Robinson, sells grossly overpriced puppies he purchases from puppy mills. (We were never provided with breeder’s address as mandated by Pennsylvania state law which is highly suspect.) Petland’s “free” medical care isn’t free at all; those costs are built into price of puppy. Our purchase price was between 2 - 2.5 times average price for breed.

Bill ** contracts with vet whose practice is 30 miles from Petland. The vet examines sick puppies at Petland on Thursdays. Once a week. The day after puppy died, when I called Plum vet tech & demanded to know why they did not keep puppy at the clinic a week earlier - when they saw pneumonia - & start more aggressive & effective treatment then, I was told that decision was made by Petland.

I spoke to vet’s office manager three days after puppy died. She informed me Petland never told them puppy had an owner & they believed he was a puppy for sale in store. She said we would have been included in conversations about puppy’s medical treatment had they known puppy had owner. I was told vet was very unhappy that he was never informed puppy had been sold to someone & told Bill ** this “never should have happened”. I’m sure Bill ** did not disclose puppy had owner because he knew we would have insisted on more aggressive (& likely more expensive) medical treatment which would lower his profit.

This puppy died as direct result of neglect on part of Petland owner Bill **. This poor puppy suffered needlessly for almost three weeks because Bill ** did not want to “dip too far” into his profits from the sale. Bill ** should have done humane thing & provide puppy with medical treatment he needed to survive, treatment that our vet recommended. Instead, Bill ** authorized the bare minimum medical treatment, strung the family along with false hope & promises & made this poor puppy suffer until he eventually could no longer breathe. Stay out of Petland & find a reputable breeder!

Original review: July 20, 2018

We arrived home with our new puppy and come to find out she is missing a toe. I was NOT told she had a missing toe before purchase. I was cheated by Petland because their website boasts that their puppies are healthy, and see vets etc but obviously not if she had a missing toe. After calling Solution, the company that manages Petland warranty, and following their instructions on obtaining a confirmation letter from the vet I was told there is no additional steps Petland needs to take because the puppy is healthy.

I cannot breed her because individuals think she is inbred, or has some type of disability. I just wanted to breed her once to pay off the $4000 plus fee to purchase her. The puppy's other toenails on that same foot look very different than the other paws. Which could possibly mean there is something wrong with her paw/toe/nail. Petland Davie manager has yet to call me back after I have left several messages.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Wanted to buy a puppy but found all the puppies in a very poorly situation at the Plantation store and customer service is horrible. I decided to visit the other stores in Davie and Kendall where my experience was even worst. First off at the Kendall store they tried to sell me a puppy that I was not even interested in. It almost seem they were low in sales or something. All these 3 stores are managing by people that don’t care about animals but themselves and how many sales they can bring to the table, and I got it it’s a business but your puppies are in very bad conditions, and your customer service is bad because your employees seem to be under a lot of pressure by sales! Get your managers straight and your company culture should change to animal care more so than straight sales. Never again will come back. And to all the people that is looking for a puppy do yourself a favor and go somewhere else, do your research.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: June 20, 2018

We lost our Chiweenie and had always rescued dogs, but came across a Chiweenie puppy at Topeka, Kansas Petland. She was adorable and funny and we decided to take her home. The sales pitch is ridiculous. The employee races through this gigantic binder full of so called “benefits” of buying with them. Then, after basically saying you get the dog and all this extra stuff at no additional charge, your head is kind of spinning and you’ve lost track of what was promised and what is even necessary to have. In the end, we have about 15 things we don’t need that we actually paid for (kennel, we had one; sprays, peanut butter roller ball, stuffed animals, etc...). $2000 for a mix breed puppy? Force you to buy $300 in junk!

We were also charged $99 for some warranty that we didn’t agree to purchase. They are sure to stress that a coughing dog is nothing to worry about and that kennel cough is a fake thing and that it’s not covered in any warranty!!! Well, we get the dog home and guess what? She’s coughing all over the place! We’ve got her on medication, but she’s still coughing. Now, we are taking our other dog to the vet tomorrow because she’s sick now.

I love the puppy we got, but wished we hadn’t supported this type of criminal activity. They are scammers and they don’t care about the animals or about the people buying them. They basically trick you into paying for tons of extra things by acting like you have no choice and I’m sure they pay nothing for these animals and then sell them for thousands! You cannot return the animal if you change your mind or if the animal doesn’t work for you. Do not buy from here! If you do, pay with a credit card so you can go back and fight the charge if you have issues. We are contacting our credit card company if they don’t allow us to return all the things we are not using that they forced us to buy.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I contacted Petland by the internet. They then contacted me by text. They made me a appointment to see a Maltese dog. I never asked for the appointment. I asked the price, and they refused to give me the price. They said they would call me with the price. They never called me. This business is very dishonest! They have something to hide. I hear they get their dogs at puppy mills. I don’t recommend you do business with this dishonest store.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I was told by a worker that the new owner only gets dogs from reputable breeders. I went home with my puppy and saw his breeder was Phil **. I google his name and puppy mills are the only thing that come up. Day 4, my puppy has a cough and wasn’t feeling well. He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He was put on antibiotics and got worse. Day 10: He is diagnosed with PNEUMONIA, double ear infection and giardiasis. They wanted him to stay in a pet hospital which would cost up to $3,000. I went home with a $200 vet bill and nurses him back to health. I made a claim with Pet Solutions that day. It has been 6 days and I have not heard a thing. Pneumonia isn’t covered under their warranty (how convenient). I got a sick Boston Terrier for $4,000. Will tell everyone I know not to go here.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Purchased a King Charles Cavalier in May 2017. Dog had kennel cough but I waited until she was cured before taking her home. I was told she came from a reputable Amish breeder. Recently I noticed she was not walking right on her back legs. As required, after contacting Petland, I was told to take her to the Petland vet. She was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. Then Petland told me to call Pet Solutions the company that handles the guarantees. After numerous calls to them I still have not received a course of action or a resolution to this serious problem. If she came from a reputable breeder this could not have happened as it is a hereditary condition. They recently had another Cavalier from the same breeder and they were aware of this problem with mine and still did not remove the dog from being on display for sale. At this point I do not know what further action I can take to rectify this situation. I really need help.

Updated on 06/23/2018: In spite of all efforts I cannot get any satisfaction from either Petland or Pet Solutions the guarantee company, and now it is almost the end of June. The guarantee they give with the dogs are useless because if you need to use it all you get from them is that paperwork needs to be done or they didn't receive paperwork needed. Paper documentation was sent to them 3 different times. My advice to anyone considering buying a dog from Petland is NOT to walk away from Petland BUT TO RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I went to Petland in Las Vegas N.V. Boca Park 89117, This Petland is privately owned by a man named Jeff. This was my first time in the store, I fell in love with a Chinese Crested... I purchased her in July 2017. She was my companionship. My first puppy... The first day I brought her home she had kennel cough... The veterinarian said it's very common for Petland puppies. She sees us a lot and she's not a fan of them. Just started having eye problems 4 months old. The veterinarian said it was dry eyes, it ended up worse. Epicenter mental 5 ulcers in her eyes... We took her to a specialist eye doctor in Las Vegas who said this was hereditary, I brought him and all of my Chinese Crested paperwork from Petland.

The veterinarian then told me to look up the breeder. I did. It was Velvet Dream kennel like Petland have purchased her from, it's a puppy mill in Arkansas. The saddest part about the story is I got very close with this dog and Petland did not care. No sympathy. The Petland warranty told me I could get a replacement puppy after I put her down. I was heartbroken. This was my baby. Petland warranty gave me the run-around and as of right now they say they have a Chinese Crested search for me. I will keep everyone updated to see how long this takes. I don't recommend anybody ever buying from Petland and if you do ask for the puppies paperwork and do investigating where it says the puppy was bred.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We bought a Shiba Inu May 13, 2018 as a Mother's Day gift for $3300. We were told that the $500 off promo they had plus the $100 off upon reserving was already taken out of the price. This was the first flag, surely a Shiba Inu from a pet store is not that expensive?! Unless the puppy has a legitimate line? When asked about the puppy's parents we were told that they were AKC registered, no other response regarding pedigree information. Upon reading the paperwork afterwards, they are only ACA registered, and I can't find any information online about the sire and dam of 'Tri-Star Kennels'. When we were at the store, the puppy pooped soft to watery stools 3x.

We thought she was just stressed. Brought her home and diarrhea continued in the car and in the house. Did not sleep due to her pooping all night till morning. Brought her to the vet they say she has worms and giardia virus. She's been coughing and still pooping with blood. I have had dogs, never did I see them in the state this Shiba is in. They have a return option in 48 hrs but charges 50% of the pet's purchased price that we have to pay as admin fee?!

Original review: May 13, 2018

The reason a lot of these dogs are sick is because there are so many of them that are not selling for months because they are overpriced by thousands of dollars. They are sharing crates and diseases. I am surprised that they are allowed to price them this high, even offering financing. Their reasoning is that they are giving you a crate and toys, the animals are microchipped, and have their shots. The salespeople, who are very nice, are trained not to tell you a price until you sit in a small room and become attached to it. Then they tell you about the financing. They are living creatures, not cars! I felt so badly walking out of the store and leaving those beautiful animals behind. Not many families can afford these costs. You'll spend a lot less money buying a dog from a breeder.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Petland is the worst credit card you can get. They take advantage of people that don't understand the small print. They are crooked and senseless. I will never do business with them again and I will advise my friends and people that I know.

Original review: March 19, 2018

First off, the Petland in Norwin sells rescue dogs and pups which go fast and that's great. Great family owned place. Go there if you can! This review is for Monroeville. We go in there looking for a puppy, reluctantly given Petland's prior controversies with selling puppies. I knew it would be pricey but what I experienced was shocking. We look at a Corgi puppy, go into the room, kids playing with it, wife loves it, etc. I go up to get the price... $4300! Are you kidding? How does Petland get away with that? They offer this 'package' which is maybe $500 worth of stuff. Poor dogs. Line up 10 cars... 9 Honda's and 1 Porsche... that Porsche will sit and sit and sit until that ONE person comes to buy it. That's what it was like. Shame on you Petland Monroeville.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I decided to write because all the reviews here are so negative. On March 7, I went into Petland to consider a new pup because I had recently lost my best friend, Buffy while here in my RV for the winter. I found the cages full of what seemed to be healthy puppies, and after considering 4 or 5, CJ chose me and we are now a small (and happy) family of two. She is an absolute delight and smart as a little whip! She came from a breeder in Iowa who must have given her love and some training. She cries and barks to go outside to poop and is only 11 weeks old. Peeing is a bit more challenging because she thinks the puppy pad is for play but I am confident we will get there with some crate training.

The second day CJ was appearing to be trying to throw up or breathe oddly like a cat with a fur ball, so I took her to the Pets First vet in Estero that they recommend. She was put on some antibiotics as a precaution. (This vet is also wonderful). After I got her home and observed her for another day, I saw that as soon as she pooped, she scrambled to eat it. My guess is that this may have started at Petland where they are confined and pups can’t ask to go out. Now that I pay attention to her obvious need to go out (dashing around and looking “for a place”), she is no longer scarfing down her poop and the odd “cat with a fur Ball” behavior has disappeared.

I am so happy with her and feel her behavior resulted from the 9 days waiting to find her furever home, because someone, no doubt this breeder, has spent time with her to create this smart and loving little companion. This resulted simply because of the cage environment which one would expect to see at a pet store. My only issue with Petland, is with the sales rep who told me I would get “free things” and then loaded my basket with supplies I paid for and didn’t need and ended up returning some the next day. Just call me, HAPPY in Naples. This pup had to come from a loving breeder and I am very grateful.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My daughter went to Petland in Iowa City to purchase a puppy who was going to be trained as a service dog for her. The staff reassured her that the puppy she fell in love with was a perfect match. Having spent a small fortune for the puppy she then took the pup to the vet that Petland recommend. They put the pup on antibiotics straight away. Over the next day the pup went to a registered trainer who noticed very quickly that the pup was very sick. Dreadful hacking cough, not eating at all - regardless what she tried to give her, very lethargic & very runny stools.

We contacted the store whom said that there was nothing wrong with the pup. In the end we took the puppy back to the store. She was in such a sick state. It was such a heartbreaking experience for my daughter to go through - there was no way this puppy should have been sold to my daughter. Esp as the staff knew it was to be a service animal. Please Please Please beware of the state these poor animals in. They are too many dogs in each crate that is one has a illness they will all get it. The stench when walking into the store was horrendous. Never again will I ever have anything to do with this company.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I purchased a puppy from Petland in Robinson Township. The same day I purchased her she became sick later that night. It continued into the next day. So I called the veterinarian and made an appointment for ASAP. She is a English Bulldog. She was diagnosed with pneumonia with partial collapsed lung. I have had her back again for increase in medications. Continue praying that my girl makes it through this. Please be careful with purchase from Petland. She was fine and so so active in the store.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Purchased a 9 week Maltipoo from Petland in December 2017. She (puppy) seemed perfectly healthy at the store (happy and energetic). Within 30 minutes of bringing her home she began to cough and hack non-stop. After a couple hours of this I Called Petland and they said she wasn’t coughing at the store... Hmmm okay. Figured I’d wait and see if maybe the cough would go away. It didn’t. Next day it was worse. Her throat was so inflamed she would barely eat anything except a little baby food (chicken) from a syringe.

Long story short I took the dog to the vet for an emergency visit because she vomited bile (3rd day after purchasing her) and wouldn’t eat. Turns out she had kennel cough, giardia, and coccidia. After weeks of several different medications and a lot of money - she’s finally doing better. I strongly urge you to reconsider purchasing a puppy from Petland. These puppies are getting sick from the poor condition of Petland kennels or their puppy mill suppliers.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

EVERYTHING about this place is absolutely HORRENDOUS!! Everyone please read this! I purchased a puppy from this establishment. I purchased him because I felt sorry for him and my kids really wanted him. We asked to see the puppy and when they brought him to us he smelled so disgusting I wanted to throw up! Every one of the cages had urine and feces all over. When I made the final decision to purchase the puppy I asked the associate to please give him a bath because he stunk so bad. They told me they would take him back to give him a bath. So when they took him back I watched through the glass and they did not give him a bath. All they did was spray him with dog cologne. I still took him anyways, even though I wasn’t happy about that.

When we were doing the paperwork, I flat out asked the associate if he had all his shots. He showed me the paperwork that showed the shots that he has received and told me that yes he had all the shots except for rabies. The associate told me that all he needed was rabies and his yearly shots. This was a complete lie to my face. I took the puppy to the veterinarian 4 days after purchasing him and the veterinarian told me that he needed several series of shots still that were going to cost me even more money. This establishment is ripping people off! They charged me over $2000 for this puppy that isn’t even recognized as a breed with the AKC. The associate also lied to my face when I asked point-blank about the refund policy. I also found out when the puppy was being examined by the Veterinarian that he had health problems that is also going to cost me more money! Do NOT buy a puppy from this place! They need to be put out of business!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I found this company to be very evasive about the integrity of their puppies, when I inquired about a Golden Retriever puppy. The "Sales Manager and Puppy Counselor" both refused to disclose pedigree, type of registration, price, vaccinations or age. All they wanted to tell me is how Petland looks at the total cost of ownership and that they cannot compete with breeders. On top of that, JUST RUDE.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I ordered a Choat Leopard Wrasse and two other wrasse. The day my order was supposed to ship I got an email saying the order was canceled. I called to ask why and was told since the Choat Wrasse was available but the other two were not they canceled my order. I asked if they could just ship the Choat Wrasse. They said that I would have to place a new order. I then placed a new order for 2 Choat Leopard Wrasse and asked that if both were not available to please send at least one.

I called several times including the day of shipment to verify this. The day the order was to ship they canceled my order again. I called to find out why and was told they had only one Choat Wrasse so the order was canceled. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I then asked if I could reorder just one and was told no they were out of stock. The website showed the Choat Wrasse were in stock several days after the order was canceled even though I was also told the website updated once a day. Stay away from Pet Solutions parent company of Petland.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

PETLAND, Waterford Lakes Mall - I had the most horrific experience through this pet store. This tale is nothing more than a greedy owner selling sick puppies through puppy mills where they keep dogs in cages and breed them over and over for years. A friend and I went it just to see what the store was like. I just happened to ask if they had a little dachshund. They brought the dearest little dachshund to me and when I held her, I fell in love.

Unfortunately it did not take me long before I realized that the dog was very ill. She was extremely lethargic and was nonresponsive to any attention. When I placed her on the floor, she was so weak and emaciated looking. She could not even walk. My friend, who is a nurse looked her over and checked her out stating that she was severely dehydrated. We told the gal helping us, that this dog needed to see a vet immediately, or she was not going to live. I cannot tell you the rage and anguish I felt towards this pet store. They acted like, they could care less. Needless to say, I did not sleep at all that night. The next day (Mon), I returned to PETLAND, and they told me the dog was at the vet on an IV. I called on Wed, to inquire and they told me she was doing good and was still at the vet on IV's. I called or went to the pet store every other day to check on this dog and continued to get the same message about her.

After 10 days, I became suspicious about the info I was being given. No vet is going to keep a dog on IV for 10 days, esp. when I am told she was much better. I returned to the store and demanded to see the assistant manager. He was a shady looking character and avoided giving me straight answers. I had offered to volunteer my time to go daily to hold this puppy and love on her and go to the vet to help. They said, it was against their policy. The assistant manager said, after 3 weeks, if they do not sell a dog, it has to be returned to the breeder. I offered to pay the vet fees and adopt the dog. I asked the manager if he would discuss this with the breeder. He assured me he would. I left my phone #, but never got a call back.

I returned to the store two days later and was told by a clerk that the dog had died shortly after I had come in that first day. I was also told by this employee, that when they get these little dogs, that they force feed them because they are too young to eat on their own. The place was very stinking, the cages dirty, many animals had no water and some looked matted and dirty. Plus, they were charging $3200 for this little dachshund. They would have sold her to me that day, as sick as she was. I am so sad that I did not have the ability to save this little dog's life. I doubt if it was even more than 5-6 weeks old. They tried to force feed her, but she wouldn't eat, so she literally starved to death and had no water for days. I found out, that I could have called the police. If they could not have helped, I could have called the emergency phone # through PETA.

Please, please, please read the reviews about this place. Do NOT purchase a dog there. There are some puppies and wonderful dogs that need to be rescued and adopted. PETFINDER has over 1,000 pages of pets that deserve to have good homes and be loved. They are rescued from these breeders who use these dogs only for their gain. May they rot in hell. I have experienced so much anguish and heartache from this experience. Stay away from this hellhole.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I purchased a puppy from Petland and I was told that I was purchasing a Shih Tzu puppy! I later was told after I noticed that it was actually unregistered that it was a teddy bear! If I wanted a teddy bear I would have gone to Walmart j/s! I was told there is nothing they can do. This was all in the same day! I paid cash btw!! They are scam artist. Do not go to any of them. I personally went to Alpharetta!!! I will be suing them. If they think I’m going away quietly they have another thing coming. So I will see them in court!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I am a very unsatisfied customer. I purchased a very sick Bull Mastiff last spring. At the time of purchase she had a slight runny nose. (This purchase was made on a Friday). I was informed this was normal and that she was fine. Then on Monday she was hospitalized for a severe case of pneumonia. I was not guaranteed that she would survive. I tried getting in contact with a manager there and was told that I needed to contact another company to report this to. Also at the time of purchase, I was rushed through all the paperwork and was not explained everything that was included. She was financed through a 3rd party and I "wasn't" given all of the paperwork.

It took me almost a year to get a copy especially of the "guarantee". Also when I took her to my vet for the pneumonia, I found/saw that there was a possible heart defect. On the paperwork from her wellness check, it was handwritten to have the heart rechecked. Months later I have taken her back due to other problems, my vet recommends me to have her spade. There is no guarantee, due to her size, that she would be able to carry a litter. I have an AKC registered English Mastiff that I wanted to breed her with and cannot. (FYI... on the guarantee form, that I was rushed through, says there is no guarantee on being able to breed or on show quality).

My vet has informed me that she is the "smallest" Mastiff she has ever seen. (1 year old @ 80 lbs.) If I bred her with my Mastiff, it would kill her. NOW, we are working to have surgery on her eyes and have had to deal with "dog acne". These are hereditary traits. I was trying to contact the breeder, but guess what, they are being investigated also. What I don't understand is, WHY does Petland charge so much for the animals if there is no guarantee? I have tried to solve this problem and I keep getting the run around from them and Solutions.Pet, that now I'm going public!! I DO NOT recommend Petland of Kennesaw. I'm glad I have my Annie Oakley. She is part of our family regardless of her health. We will continue to take care of her and love her. Do your homework before making a purchase from here. I wish I had.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

We were recently scammed by Petland. We bought a Wheaton Terrier puppy for $2800 and after 3 days he developed pneumonia. Horrified at this we took him to vet (Econ River Fl) on their so called Care Plan and were told by their vet he’d swallowed cotton plus had pneumonia and would need surgery. Not happy with this diagnosis. We took him to a more reputable vet who advised there was no cotton in puppies GI, and it was just bad pneumonia.

We’ve now amassed another 2k vet bill and are awaiting results as I write this email. Our naivety at not researching Petland first also weighs heavy. There seems to be a slew of people who’ve had similar to experiences with dogs from these so called puppy-mills. Also I feel the vets assigned in care package are in on the scam as well, ours was Econ River. They told us they were going to do surgery for they’re diagnosed cotton swallowed. Other reputable vet stated vehemently this would have killed the puppy in his current pneumonia state. They also tried to upsell me on care package. (WHAT A RACKET)

Is there anything we can do for recourse? We contacted Petland where we purchased and of course they fobbed us off to their Pet Solutions warranty’s dept which was VM only. Can we join an existing lawsuit? I believe there’s one going on in TX or are we just another statistics beaten by a corporation? I contacted the ANIMAL DEFENSE LEAGUE, but no response yet. I sincerely hope this review stops someone falling prey like my family did. We love the dog and as of today 1/24/18 he’s on the mend, thats the only good thing in this mess. He could have been just another Petland statistics.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We purchased a Shiba Inu puppy from Petland Sarasota in October. They lied about the breed, they lied about the price. She was $2800, but they charged the cc company over $4000 for it and apparently, I signed off on it. (?) When I questioned how the price jumped so high, I was told they have a $1200 mandatory puppy package that everyone must purchase.(?) BS. The worst part of the whole experience is that my new baby was very sick. Days after we bought her, we found out she had kennel cough and giardia. Her cough had turned into pneumonia and she had to be hospitalized for 3 days (2 nights). Customer service is a complete joke. They refuse to look into anything for me. They don't even try to hide the fact that they don't care. They won't refund/reimburse.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I purchased a puppy from Petland Malls of Georgia 26 Dec 2017. We found the puppy we were looking for. When I asked they stated she was a purebred English Bulldog. All the paperwork they show/gave me states English Bulldog. They have a 3rd party do all their AKC registration, was instructed they have prepaid for everything for you. Today I went into AKC's website to look up information on her and she is listed with them as "All American Dog". I contacted Petland where I purchased her, in which they in turn had me call their Management group. Pet Solutions is their management group, they stated that they are not responsible for validating that the animals are purebred animals. Who in their right mind would pay the price for a purebred with papers and it not be? Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

WARNING... WARNING!!! Stay away from this place. I went to their store to adopt a Bernese Mountain puppy. I filled out the adoption application and one paper to see if I qualified for financing prior to talking about the price of the puppy. They took the application paper and applied to 2 loan companies and opened a Petland credit card in my name without my consent to finance the dog. They then told me just that I was approved and the dog was $2100 and my payments would be $44 per month. Little did I know that they gave my info to the other two companies and electronically signed for my loans. One company is charging me 143% interest and the other one is $151%! They're now saying the dog was $4500 and that they told me that... They did not. I am now stuck with 2 loans and a credit card bill and they aren't willing to do anything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We brought our new puppy home Friday night 12/22 and by Christmas Eve she was totally lethargic, accompanied with diarrhea and vomiting. We took her to the emergency vet, spending the better part of our Christmas in the ER where she was diagnosed with coccidia AND parvo. She is now in the hospital getting treatment that we will pay for out of pocket rather than have Petland’s crackpot vets handle it. This place is a disgrace and should be ashamed of the way they care for the animals. If I could get this place shut down I sincerely would.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We bought Radar a 13 week old German Shepard pup who was thin but we didn’t think anything of it, as large breeds grow fast. We took Radar home and loved him, he got the best food and love we could give and I noticed on day 3 of having him he had a large lump on his bottom and that he wasn’t eating like normal pups. Off to the vet we went. They thought it was a hematoma and drained it... I took him home still bleeding and upon arrival he hemorrhaged all over the floor. It wasn’t a hematoma. Back to the vet we went after being told, "Oh no it’s not a big deal that there was blood out of his bottom." I sent the emergency vet a photo and he finally got it. Called and had me rush Radar in.

They couldn’t handle what they thought it was (never told us) and sent us to another vet where I had to pay cash to have Radar treated. Keep in mind he’s puking all over the place now. They discovered at the emergency ICU that Radar had Mega Esophagus and a peritoneal hernia. We had to put my sweet boy down a week after he came home to the day. I found out today at work that a coworker's boxer died 18 hours after going to her new family from the same shop. Don’t buy your puppy’s from there.

Not sure about Petland?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Stores for you.

Petland Company Information

www.petland.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business