2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petland Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: March 21, 2021

I am giving this location ONE star. The salesperson was kind and helpful throughout the buying process, but my pup CAME HOME SICK and released to me CLEARED! I have had the pup less than 4 days now and the dog has been to the vet now twice. I am out of pocket more than $400 due to their lies. How am I guaranteed a healthy puppy when he is sick? How does their "vet" clear this???? I am filing for a lawsuit against the Petland at Davie. All I asked for was to exchange the pup for a healthy one since it's WELL BEFORE the 14 day health guarantee period. I do not want any money back or any money from the out of pocket vet cost. See Petland Davie of Florida in court!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Buyers beware & do research before even thinking of dealing with this pet store!!!! Research beyond their reviews on their own website...Check Yelp, Consumer Affairs, BBB, etc. Google Petland complaints, petland scam etc & you'll find all the info you need to stay away. Petland scams people into thinking they are selling puppies from the top 2% of breeders in the country which is a bold face lie!! They get their puppies from puppy mills, they sell sick dogs to people who die soon after purchase & I found plenty of proof to back it up which I am in the process of sending to every news, social media & complaint platform that I can think of.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy from here..Do research!! All petlands even though owned by sep. owners it's a franchise & operate under the same bus. model. My puppy came from Blue Ribbon Puppies Indiana, Levi Graber who is known to be one of the biggest puppy mills in the country with many violations/complaints against him & was responsible for the campylobacter a year or so ago! Luiz ** owns the SFL locations (also some in TX) & claims to be against the use of puppy mills, but again my puppy came from a puppy mill & after researching found tons of info from people saying their dogs bought here come from the same puppy mill..Blue ribbon puppies! All of his locations have horrible yelp reviews & complaints in bbb, consumer affairs etc.

This is an edit of my original review which was positive because the initial experience in the store was fine... HOWEVER!!..I am a FOOL for falling for their shady "sales pitch" & believing the pos. Reviews on their site & not doing my own research before purchasing puppy from here for $7400!! FIRST, you can't get the training they incl for several weeks so what good is that? Second...Tons of complaints all over internet that they don't pay vet bills when puppies get sick as outlined in the contract.

THIRD....after I called complaining abt the training (told them I had specific concerns at that time) & was told someone would call me back, they never did. You have to go through a middle person call center & I realized they don't care about the well being of the puppies, so I got mad & started doing my research & digging & that's when I went down the rabbit hole of all the disgusting info on Petland & Blue Ribbon Puppies (Levi Graber). Again, Levi Graber is notorious for being one of the largest & most controversial puppy mills in the country for decades!

I also found videos of reporters who went undercover as employees & saw discussions between them & the person training them saying if the puppies get sick they don't give them the proper medicine, they still sell them to people, they pump them full of antibiotics to make them well enough to sell & if they don't sell them before they get sick beyond recovery they let them die & put them in a freezer! I saw the video, google it! So, tons of people have written complaints to bbb, consumer affairs, yelp etc & I have even seen many lawsuits/class action lawsuits from people saying their dog got sick & died soon after purchasing from a petland.

Again, all petlands operate under the same business model & buy their puppies from puppy mills, not the top 2% of breeders. I called after finding this info & demanded to bring the puppy back because they lied to me about where the puppy came from & if I wanted a puppy mill puppy or not from the top 2% of breeders, I could have found one online or a smaller puppy store myself for $1000 or less. I was told someone would call me back in 48 hours, of course it's been more that that & no phone call. I would have even settled for a lower price for the dog since he is from a puppy mill & so far seemingly healthy but they haven't even called me back to discuss any options. So now I am pushed beyond my patience & will be taking this to the next level....Complaints to any & all licensing agencies, review & complaint platforms, news stations & newspapers and maybe even a protest, because I have the time & resources to do it.

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Their website shows numerous beautiful dachshund puppies with no prices or AKC papers. When I called to inquire about prices the Call Center told me that I must go to the store to learn the prices. The stores do not have direct telephone numbers. When I arrived at the store I found that they do not have, and probably never had, the puppies on the website. They try to entice you to buy different dogs with ridiculous prices. Dogs that have lived in tiny cages for months because no one will pay their ridiculous prices. Dogs that have emotional and health issues they will probably never overcome. These places should be closed by the authorities.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Do NOT buy or even look for a puppy from this store. They are scammers!! I got an email that they have puppies for sale. I'm looking for a dachshund so I went to their website, found the one I liked and called to ask the price. The rep and his manager refused to give even a price range and just said I have to go to the store. I explained that I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest store and want to be sure I can afford the puppy before I go. They rudely said "sorry but only the store can provide the price". When I asked for the store's phone #, they said store do not take calls. What??? Petland Florida's website is just a scam to get you to a store where they expect you to fall in love with a puppy and pay some exorbitant price which they'll happily finance and a "great" (for them) interest rate.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

This is a horrible place to go, the poor dogs are in a very small cage for so long because the prices are extremely high that they become super sad, the pictures they post online has nothing to do with the dog in the store, you can see all the dogs very sad because nobody wants to pay their price and stays there forever, also the store I went was plantation in Florida and smell very very bad, I feel so bad... They were selling a 18 weeks dog for $7K... You can tell the dogs don't play around at all.. So bad... Not going there ever again... They dont tell you the price over the phone but I am telling you don't waste your trip... I am actually putting a complaint in dogs human society.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Possible health, breed and emotional issues of the puppy we bought. The supposed Beagle had a gagging cough, wired and high strung beyond any dog I've ever seen. Overly skinny and small, and after research resembles a chiwawa beagle mix not a beagle. We bought the puppy at Petland Hilliard in Columbus Ohio. Initially the puppy was $4000.00 so we declined. Returning to the store 2 1/2 weeks later, he was now $2,800. After signing over a dozen papers and listening to contract explanations that I did not fully understand about AKC registration (the store associate said Petland pays for that, I asked twice) I wrote the check and went home.

Immediately we noticed things like overly excited and spastic behavior, gagging cough, howling and barking if the puppy was left alone or we were out of view for a minute etc. The puppy would freeze and look into space and not respond when waving a hand in front of his face, then resume frantic behavior seconds later. Overwhelmed by the cute puppy and the new friend we wrote these things off. I was concerned at the small thin neck, slightly bulging eyes, rib cage visibility etc. I could not imagine how this 6 lb puppy could grow to 20 lbs with a frame and paws so small. Again we wrote all of this off.

After six days of no sleep due to the puppy howling at night, diarrhea, peeing every 15 min. frantic spastic behavior, we were totally exhausted. Again we wrote this off to him being a new puppy and us being inexperienced. We reached our breaking point on the 6th day at 4:00 a.m. and realized he had to go. We returned the puppy to the Hilliard Petland in desperation and was told we could surrender the dog. 10 min later after the manager was called we were told we could not surrender the dog until "solutions" was contacted. The assistant manager asked me "what is solutions"? "I have no idea," I said. "Solutions" was contacted by phone and I asked for a partial refund or a discount on a dog in the future, with the hopes we could try again after retiring in a year or so. No dice, if the dog is not returned in 48 hours (one night) we get nothing back.

An hour later after miscommunications on their part, a form was produced that I had to sign to surrender the dog waving all rights and the entire 3000.00. In desperation, I did it. After some sleep and recovery yesterday as well as cleaning urine and crap from our home and garage I feel there were underlying issues with the puppy and it wasn't all us.

1. I'm convinced this was not a full Beagle but a Chiwawa mix. We were called by a woman with AKC? who wanted $220.00 to register the puppy even though Petland had told me they paid for this on the day of purchase. We declined.

2. I'm convinced the puppy had serious emotional and possible health issues. Beagle puppies at the same age we now see on YouTube have a much more robust neck, body and legs. The face and head is wider and no evidence of bulging eyes are seen. Is this puppy a runt? I still don't know, but something was very wrong. The Beagle puppies we saw play normally, stop occasionally, and are not continuously spastic and frantic every waking second, stoping only to gag and cough?

3. I find it very bad form for Petland to not at least offer me another puppy even at more money, a partial refund even if it was small, a discount on a future purchase. Nothing, just a bad experience and a $3000 total loss in 6 days. Thanks Hilliard Petland.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

My puppy had kennel cough and giardia for 4 months. We had to try every antibiotic in existence. I wanted to contact the breeder (Caroline Schulte, Tornado Alley Kennels) to find out if there were any rare causes of kennel cough there, and it was literally impossible; she does not have a website or a phone number. Petland uses breeders so terrible they are hiding off the grid. It looks like her name registration is no longer active; this place probably periodically changes its name so no one can track it. Petland also outsources any issues with puppies to a third party, so I have been struggling with them and they've done absolutely nothing for me (and apparently they have no name). Also note how weird Petland's positive reviews look; "paradise for puppies"? These are clearly fake. Petland should be shut down.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was notified the other day that a puppy I was interested in had become available at a discounted price and the associate wanted to know if I was still interested. I replied back and told her I was very interested and that I was on my way to get the puppy. Just before leaving my house I get a text saying that someone had just put a deposit on it, Nowhere in the conversation was deposit mentioned, I even ask her what the total sales price was and she responded back with price. Again deposit not being mentioned. I was prepared to drive 56 miles to get puppy thinking I was coming home with it. What if I had made the drive only to find out it was sold?

I feel like this was handled very unfairly. If a deposit were required then she should have mentioned it and not led me to believe I was getting the dog. I would have gladly paid it before I left or even paid the total amount. This is a situation where poor customer service was involved and the company just laughs stuff like this off. It really leaves a bad taste for first time customers. I am very disappointed in Pet Land. I hope other consumers check before they set their hearts on a forever friend.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I purchased two tubes of nutritional gel for my foster kittens with total price of $39.25. I was asked if I wanted a receipt and I said no. Thought it was expensive and got on chewy.com and found the exact same product for $15.34. Went back to the store the very next day and was told without a receipt all they'd do is give me store credit. I asked if I brought in a receipt on mobile showing date, store, and purchase price would they refund the money and the associate said yes. Well, brought in the product and the info tonight and was told that information wasn't enough. She scanned the products, showed $39.25 which was the exact amount on the phone receipt.

Common sense would dictate that you simply refund the amount back on the credit card. She once again said, "We can give you store credit." To which I said, "Why would I do that when your prices are double what other stores are?" I'm a foster parent for kittens for a local shelter and these products come out of my pocket, so to spend $24 extra so Petland can gouge their customers is ridiculous. Next up is a post on Facebook, nextdoor, and any other social media I can think of. I used to teach customer service and suffice it to say, they lost a customer, goodwill and I'll have Citi Visa refund my money and go after them. Shame on Petland for not making this simple and easy.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

When I went in here, I saw several very sick looking puppies. One of them could hardly stand. They keep them in uncomfortable crates with no blankets and their little feet are too small to stand on the grate floors without their paws falling through. These puppies are extremely overpriced at thousands of dollars each, and are rumored to come from illegal puppy mills. Last year in Oklahoma alone, more than 18,000 animals were euthanized. ADOPT, DON'T SHOP!

Petland Company Information