3.8/5 (465 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Petland

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petland Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

We went into the store on 08/13/22 just right after my mom passed away in the hospital looking for a furry loving companion for me and my 2 daughters. I fell in loved w Lola, a little Pomsky. We signed all the papers but we did not take her home that night because she was having diarrhea and not eating. We wanted to make sure she was O.K and taken care that night. We went next morning 08/14/22 to take her home, they said she was fine, just stressed….Hell no!! On 08/15/22 took her to the Bay Glen Vet. Still smelly diarrhea and loss of appetite….Stool sample positive for Giardia, a parasite….We went back to the store to complain and they said we should had gone to the vet they are contracted to in order to file a claim. That vet is in Bellaire, 1 hour driving from my home. Also, the vet certificate they gave me was from 08/05/22.

We pay +8K for a sick puppy w/ lots of vet expenses. They are just sellers…FYI. Yesterday when we went there 09/02/22 I took a picture of the kennels where the puppies are and there was bloody stools…which they say is normal after fecal tests….So, be prepared…. Pic from Petland Webster last night.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

We bought our puppy from the Petland in Topeka KS in February 2022 for my birthday for $4543.30. She is an absolute doll and we love her! The issue is that Petland lied to us about the payment plan we signed up for. We had 4 different deferred interest options presented to us that we were approved for. We had one picked out that gave us a 18-months of deferred interest, but at the very last minute, the staff hyped us up about getting a Petland credit card instead. The Petland credit card is charging us an interest rate of 29.99% when the staff at Petland told us the interest would be deferred for 24 months on a promotional plan!! That is about $100 per month at this point! That means if we can only pay $100 a month, we will never get ahead on payments.

We have been paying this for 6 months, so we were willing to take that loss and requested to just have the remaining balance put on a new plan, with deferred interest. We have talked to the staff at Petland a few times and they finally gave us the number for Petland Team Solutions. Team Solutions could not do anything because they said the paperwork we signed would have stated the financial plan. The paperwork we signed stated that IF there was a deferred interest promotional plan, interest would not be charged for the period of that promotion. Since we were told we were signing up with a promotional plan, we assumed that applied to us. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE PETLAND CREDIT CARD. Better yet, go somewhere else where they have honest employees to find your new animal friend.

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The treatment from this company was unbelievably unconscientious and wrong and it is hard to believe a company has made it this far without a morsel of compassion. A dog was seen at a store 200 miles away from the store that was attended. Made the mistake of signing up for credit and never saw or touched the dog other than over video on the phone. Realized that the decision was wrong because of extenuating circumstances soon after and before transfer of the dog to the store. NO turning back. They charged full price for the dog $7000.00 and continued to pursue the payment without any recourse or store credit. They kept the dog at the original store and sold the dog again for another 7K. Most unscrupulous deal ever been involved in,, BUYER BEWARE!!!! THEY ARE RIPOFF ARTISTS....

Original review: July 13, 2022

We bought a puppy from Petland Pembroke Pines FL on 06/30/2022 around 8pm. Her name is Penelope. Penelope was already symptomatic. When she was brought for us to see her, my wife notice that her butt was dirty from having diarrhea and a few minutes into the visit she pooped, and it was already a creamy brown diarrhea. We were told that she was brought in and was changed over from her mother's milk to puppy food and that was the reason she had diarrhea. She was lethargic. My son notice that when he touch her all the ribs could be felt.

On 07/02/2022 We brought Penelope to Your Pet's Vets due to the nonstop diarrhea. She was giving a few meds to treat Giardia including Pet Tinic Drops(Iron for anemia). On Sunday 07/03/2022 Penelope got worst so we brought her to Pet Emergency Center for an Emergency visit. The vet said that what they did was not right. He acknowledge and said on the medical report "As discussed the pre-patent period for Giardia is 3-10 days according to the Merck Veterinary manual, thus the patient most likely had giardia up unto and before the purchase, based on onset of clinical signs and diagnosis. This accounts also for her poor body contrition." When I asked Dr ** for the letter of unfit sale said he did not want to get into it.

On Monday around 4am she started a bloody diarrhea and no longer was eating and started vomiting, no longer holding anything down. Pet Emergency Center. Hospitalization 07/04/2022. Penelope had to start all oral meds and hydration. The vet mentioned that the Hospitalization saved her life. They had another puppy from Petland hospitalized with the same life threatening symptoms as Penelope.

On 7/05/2022 Penelope was picked up from Pet emergency center at 8 am later brought to Your pet's vets where she was again hospitalized. 7/05/2022 we went to Petland of Pembroke Pines, and we were told that there was nothing they could do and the manager JV ** refused to speak to me on the phone. On 7/9 we had to take her back and she now has a respiratory infection. On 7/9 I spoke to the manager JV ** and referred me to Pet Solutions. On 7/11/22 she was again hospitalized She still has diarrhea, bloody discharge, anemia, respiratory infection and is very lethargic.

As of today 07/13/2022 Penelope is still hospitalized and will stay overnight again at Your pet's Vets. Penelope still is positive for Giardia, still has Amemia, and a respiratory infection. I have all the medical records for all the visits. I want refund. This has been a nightmare. Petland is hiding behind Petcare solutions and no one from petland corporate is talking to me. I have provided all the evidence I have that I was sold a sick dog and the only thing they say is "You mentioned the vet stating unfit to be sold. We would need a letter from the vet stating that."

Original review: July 10, 2022

On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 I decided to purchase a puppy from Petland locate at 356 N University Dr, Pembroke Pines, FL 33024. The associate Mayra was very professional and patient. As she sold me Lucy (a pomapoo). We both noticed how well behaved and calm Lucy was being. The whole entire transaction took a healthy 30-40 mins and Lucy was very well behaved (for a little over three-month-old puppy.) Unfortunately, Lucy was only showing signs of an underlining sickness that would soon show its ugly head within the first 24 hours of her new home. Needless to say, Lucy’s appetite was little to none and then the vomiting started.

I made arrangements to visit their personal veterinarian on the same day I purchased her, but unfortunately, they do not accept walk-ins. The earliest available appointment was the following week. So, the next morning, on Thursday, July 7, 2022 I took her to Dr. ** (my current dog’s doctor) because his office does accept walk-ins. I explained to him the situation with her appetite and vomiting. He examined her and he did not understand why she was not accepting his a/d urgent care dog food. He told me to set an appointment with PetLand’s designated doctor for a follow up and told me to continue using their product.

Needless to say, her issue still continued and on Saturday, July 9, 2022 I returned to Dr. **'s office because she was still vomiting what looked like dog food. He stated try his brand of a/d this time around and make sure to follow up with Pet Land. I drove straight over to Pet Land and was approached by an associate by the name (I would later find out) Jackie **. I then asked to speak to her manager, and this is when things became interesting. When I spoke with JV (because she refused to give her government name) she was very unprofessional and showed no true skills of leadership. Her associate showed the same behavior.

I explained to JV how Lucy had been sick since I purchased her a couple of days prior, and her response was all sales are final. I then said to her, "Well you guys can keep her because she is sick." Her reply was “Oh so you’re going to abandon her so wait right there so I can call the cops!” She never tried to accommodate my situation. Seemed as though she wanted a reaction because As I was leaving, she tried to make a scene shouting "Oh so you're not going to wait for the cops?! You're going to take the dog with you and not leave her here for abandonment?" I ignored her as I proceeded out of the store because I’m a cancer survivor with chemo pill treatment in addition to monthly injections. I do not have the energy to argue.

The sad part is instead of trying to help me resolve the issue and acknowledge that maybe I was sold a sick pup, she was adamant and inconsiderate. I'm sure her attitude would've been completely different if she was the customer. She should not be a manager. She was very unsympathetic. It appears she was trying to stage a scene. As I spoke softer, she spoke louder eventually creating an unexpected scene. Which was embarrassing for me. I am a school teacher on summer break, and I've always taught my students to "Treat people the way you want to be treated." Regardless of their race or the clothes they are wearing or (you always remember that they are a human being 1st!).

Unfortunately, Lucy ended up in ER that same evening vomiting what seemed to be dark blood. The ER doctor ruled out parvo and could not find out what’s causing Lucy’s sickness. She was given antibiotics and other medicine which cost $404.00. At the point of sale, she cost $5,178.78. I believe Lucy should not have been sold. She is obviously a sick pup and Pet Land could care less. I have called within the first 24 hours of Lucy’s purchase informing them of her sickness in addition to when she went to ER. DO NOT PURCHASE ANY DOGS FROM PET LAND! I wish someone would’ve warned me. Well, Lucy’s behavior at the time of purchase was a warning but I just thought she was a well-behaved pup. Who knew!

Original review: April 25, 2022

Petland sold us a sick puppy. Our puppy was purchased on 4/9/22. We have made several trips to the preferred Vet, which Petland is well aware of. The puppy has intestinal parasites the first couple of days after purchase. He has also had issues with eating. Most days we can not get him anything. Petland lied about his weight and his health. Stating that he was a completely, healthy pup.

The Vet reached out to Petland to advise of these health issues. Petland is refusing to stand behind this purchase. I called to the store (Mall of GA location) and asked for the store manager on numerous occasions. Her name is Emily. She has not taken my calls (I've been placed on hold for over 45 mins) or has not returned any of my calls. Now that we have the puppy, we're being told that there's nothing they can do to. We were told this information by Lauren, who is in the Health Claims Department. Keep in my we've had issues since the initial purchase. Vet records will prove that. I will never purchase again from Petland and will be sure to advise everyone I can to stay away. Petland is a RIP OFF!!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

BUYER BEWARE: We purchased a dog from them and spent several thousand dollars. When we went to pay for the dog, we were charged an additional $149.99 for the microchip and $149.99 for their puppy for a lifetime program, which we were told by our salesperson that this program was included in the price of the dog. When I called their customer service number about it, I was also told it was included and was transferred to "someone that could help me". That person told me that it was mandatory and not included. Essentially, the price they charge for the dog is actually $300 more because of their mandatory addons. To top it off, we took the puppy to the vet 2 days after purchase and spent an additional $100+ because it had intestinal worms. Buyer beware if you're looking for a pup here.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I purchased a tub of fifty large crickets from Petland at Stonebrook in Saskatoon. The crickets were in poor health. It was hard to see how many were alive or dead, though some were clearly dead. When I got them home, it turned out to be about 75% dead. This is the second time I've had this exact experience with Petland and Stonebrook in Saskatoon. Their prices are already higher than their competition. Buy your crickets at Petsmart and get actual live crickets.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Petland OKC and all Petland/solutions pet owners, employees, etc do not care about you or the pet they are selling you! They care about your money and how they can keep from paying out anything for the sick puppies they sell from well known puppy mills well known for their disgusting and overcrowded facilities where they breed these poor animals who carry life threatening intestinal issues including parasites. The poor puppies have diarrhea with blood and parasites. Their cages at Petland are disgusting - many of the puppies had globs of diarrhea, bloody feces, urine with feces where they are walking, sleeping and they are eating contaminated feces of other dogs right in front of you while employees stand around and chat! These puppies are in no way healthy and should not be sold at all.

The “top 5 breeder” is a guy named Brad Grotewold from Iowa with a large puppy mill site that you can find online with several disgusting and disheartening articles and USDA write ups regarding his poop/parasite infested facility and the broker is Southpaw Pets also in Neosha, Iowa! The contracted vet, Jason ** is shady and does not keep accurate or adequate records. He refuses to change his mistakes and actually left off many calls and the actual 2nd medication he prescribed for the intestinal parasites! The puppy is very sick and has had diarrhea and bouts of vomiting since the day of purchase! Petland refuses to refund any money and will not pay for him to go to their vet or our vet that we have taken other pets to for years because he’s competent and he’s not going to lie about a sick dog!

It’s heartbreaking knowing that a large amount of money was paid to petland for a very sick puppy and their contract is full of unlawful statements which they make you sign that you are in agreement with, however they do not go into any detail of what they are actually making you sign. They withhold medical information which is both fraud and misrepresentation when they are selling a product that is supposed to be the best of the best. I’m sure as we do further research, we will find he’s not even registered and the dogs they show as parents are probably stock photos with no relation to the dog purchased! This is common practice for petland!

Go do all the research before even thinking about buying from petland! ACTUALLY DO NOT BUY! It’s a huge scam and I have tried my hardest to get vet visits covered or a refund and they do not budge. They give you the run around over and over hoping you will give up! If you are reading this and have had these issues or any others, please join with others to get petlands across the nation closed!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I was extremely excited to purchase a ferret to spend the next 5-10 years with, and originally I wanted to buy from a breeder or shelter. Sadly there aren't any shelters or breeders near me, so I went to Petland to purchase a Marshall ferret. The ferret was extremely active, friendly, adorable, and I spent a few days visiting her to see if she was healthy. The fated day then arrived when I purchased her and took her home. When she arrived home, she was playful and just your typical ferret. I was in the process of bonding and training with her when, around three days after her purchase, she started acting strange. A lump formed on her neck and she began to sleep all day. She developed a fever and I took her immediately to the vet where they found an infected abscess that had been growing for a while now. I hadn't even had time to get myself pet insurance, and so the total cost of my visit plus medicine was over 1,400 dollars.

The doctor was honestly appalled at her condition and told me I should reach out to Marshall to be compensated for the vet bills. I did, and... what a surprise, Marshall covered nothing that a ferret could realistically be inflicted with. The only thing they might cover is a broken leg. If it's an infection that wasn't even your fault? Forget about it. Petland simply redirected me to Marshall when the ordeal honestly should have been their responsibility. They house these animals and ultimately take care of them in the weeks leading up to their adoption -- and so they should be aware of any afflictions that the animal may be suffering. I am starting to think that Petland might not be all that it's cracked up to be, as I also saw that some of the bearded dragons they had on display actually had degenerative bone disorders. I think my ferret will be alright for now, but it's disgusting that she had to go through this. She's only fifteen weeks.

Petland Company Information