1.08/5
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a pet store?

Petland

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

562 Petland Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Purchased a 9 week Maltipoo from Petland in December 2017. She (puppy) seemed perfectly healthy at the store (happy and energetic). Within 30 minutes of bringing her home she began to cough and hack non-stop. After a couple hours of this I Called Petland and they said she wasn’t coughing at the store... Hmmm okay. Figured I’d wait and see if maybe the cough would go away. It didn’t. Next day it was worse. Her throat was so inflamed she would barely eat anything except a little baby food (chicken) from a syringe.

Long story short I took the dog to the vet for an emergency visit because she vomited bile (3rd day after purchasing her) and wouldn’t eat. Turns out she had kennel cough, giardia, and coccidia. After weeks of several different medications and a lot of money - she’s finally doing better. I strongly urge you to reconsider purchasing a puppy from Petland. These puppies are getting sick from the poor condition of Petland kennels or their puppy mill suppliers.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

EVERYTHING about this place is absolutely HORRENDOUS!! Everyone please read this! I purchased a puppy from this establishment. I purchased him because I felt sorry for him and my kids really wanted him. We asked to see the puppy and when they brought him to us he smelled so disgusting I wanted to throw up! Every one of the cages had urine and feces all over. When I made the final decision to purchase the puppy I asked the associate to please give him a bath because he stunk so bad. They told me they would take him back to give him a bath. So when they took him back I watched through the glass and they did not give him a bath. All they did was spray him with dog cologne. I still took him anyways, even though I wasn’t happy about that.

When we were doing the paperwork, I flat out asked the associate if he had all his shots. He showed me the paperwork that showed the shots that he has received and told me that yes he had all the shots except for rabies. The associate told me that all he needed was rabies and his yearly shots. This was a complete lie to my face. I took the puppy to the veterinarian 4 days after purchasing him and the veterinarian told me that he needed several series of shots still that were going to cost me even more money. This establishment is ripping people off! They charged me over $2000 for this puppy that isn’t even recognized as a breed with the AKC. The associate also lied to my face when I asked point-blank about the refund policy. I also found out when the puppy was being examined by the Veterinarian that he had health problems that is also going to cost me more money! Do NOT buy a puppy from this place! They need to be put out of business!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I found this company to be very evasive about the integrity of their puppies, when I inquired about a Golden Retriever puppy. The "Sales Manager and Puppy Counselor" both refused to disclose pedigree, type of registration, price, vaccinations or age. All they wanted to tell me is how Petland looks at the total cost of ownership and that they cannot compete with breeders. On top of that, JUST RUDE.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I ordered a Choat Leopard Wrasse and two other wrasse. The day my order was supposed to ship I got an email saying the order was canceled. I called to ask why and was told since the Choat Wrasse was available but the other two were not they canceled my order. I asked if they could just ship the Choat Wrasse. They said that I would have to place a new order. I then placed a new order for 2 Choat Leopard Wrasse and asked that if both were not available to please send at least one.

I called several times including the day of shipment to verify this. The day the order was to ship they canceled my order again. I called to find out why and was told they had only one Choat Wrasse so the order was canceled. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I then asked if I could reorder just one and was told no they were out of stock. The website showed the Choat Wrasse were in stock several days after the order was canceled even though I was also told the website updated once a day. Stay away from Pet Solutions parent company of Petland.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

PETLAND, Waterford Lakes Mall - I had the most horrific experience through this pet store. This tale is nothing more than a greedy owner selling sick puppies through puppy mills where they keep dogs in cages and breed them over and over for years. A friend and I went it just to see what the store was like. I just happened to ask if they had a little dachshund. They brought the dearest little dachshund to me and when I held her, I fell in love.

Unfortunately it did not take me long before I realized that the dog was very ill. She was extremely lethargic and was nonresponsive to any attention. When I placed her on the floor, she was so weak and emaciated looking. She could not even walk. My friend, who is a nurse looked her over and checked her out stating that she was severely dehydrated. We told the gal helping us, that this dog needed to see a vet immediately, or she was not going to live. I cannot tell you the rage and anguish I felt towards this pet store. They acted like, they could care less. Needless to say, I did not sleep at all that night. The next day (Mon), I returned to PETLAND, and they told me the dog was at the vet on an IV. I called on Wed, to inquire and they told me she was doing good and was still at the vet on IV's. I called or went to the pet store every other day to check on this dog and continued to get the same message about her.

After 10 days, I became suspicious about the info I was being given. No vet is going to keep a dog on IV for 10 days, esp. when I am told she was much better. I returned to the store and demanded to see the assistant manager. He was a shady looking character and avoided giving me straight answers. I had offered to volunteer my time to go daily to hold this puppy and love on her and go to the vet to help. They said, it was against their policy. The assistant manager said, after 3 weeks, if they do not sell a dog, it has to be returned to the breeder. I offered to pay the vet fees and adopt the dog. I asked the manager if he would discuss this with the breeder. He assured me he would. I left my phone #, but never got a call back.

I returned to the store two days later and was told by a clerk that the dog had died shortly after I had come in that first day. I was also told by this employee, that when they get these little dogs, that they force feed them because they are too young to eat on their own. The place was very stinking, the cages dirty, many animals had no water and some looked matted and dirty. Plus, they were charging $3200 for this little dachshund. They would have sold her to me that day, as sick as she was. I am so sad that I did not have the ability to save this little dog's life. I doubt if it was even more than 5-6 weeks old. They tried to force feed her, but she wouldn't eat, so she literally starved to death and had no water for days. I found out, that I could have called the police. If they could not have helped, I could have called the emergency phone # through PETA.

Please, please, please read the reviews about this place. Do NOT purchase a dog there. There are some puppies and wonderful dogs that need to be rescued and adopted. PETFINDER has over 1,000 pages of pets that deserve to have good homes and be loved. They are rescued from these breeders who use these dogs only for their gain. May they rot in hell. I have experienced so much anguish and heartache from this experience. Stay away from this hellhole.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I purchased a puppy from Petland and I was told that I was purchasing a Shih Tzu puppy! I later was told after I noticed that it was actually unregistered that it was a teddy bear! If I wanted a teddy bear I would have gone to Walmart j/s! I was told there is nothing they can do. This was all in the same day! I paid cash btw!! They are scam artist. Do not go to any of them. I personally went to Alpharetta!!! I will be suing them. If they think I’m going away quietly they have another thing coming. So I will see them in court!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I am a very unsatisfied customer. I purchased a very sick Bull Mastiff last spring. At the time of purchase she had a slight runny nose. (This purchase was made on a Friday). I was informed this was normal and that she was fine. Then on Monday she was hospitalized for a severe case of pneumonia. I was not guaranteed that she would survive. I tried getting in contact with a manager there and was told that I needed to contact another company to report this to. Also at the time of purchase, I was rushed through all the paperwork and was not explained everything that was included. She was financed through a 3rd party and I "wasn't" given all of the paperwork.

It took me almost a year to get a copy especially of the "guarantee". Also when I took her to my vet for the pneumonia, I found/saw that there was a possible heart defect. On the paperwork from her wellness check, it was handwritten to have the heart rechecked. Months later I have taken her back due to other problems, my vet recommends me to have her spade. There is no guarantee, due to her size, that she would be able to carry a litter. I have an AKC registered English Mastiff that I wanted to breed her with and cannot. (FYI... on the guarantee form, that I was rushed through, says there is no guarantee on being able to breed or on show quality).

My vet has informed me that she is the "smallest" Mastiff she has ever seen. (1 year old @ 80 lbs.) If I bred her with my Mastiff, it would kill her. NOW, we are working to have surgery on her eyes and have had to deal with "dog acne". These are hereditary traits. I was trying to contact the breeder, but guess what, they are being investigated also. What I don't understand is, WHY does Petland charge so much for the animals if there is no guarantee? I have tried to solve this problem and I keep getting the run around from them and Solutions.Pet, that now I'm going public!! I DO NOT recommend Petland of Kennesaw. I'm glad I have my Annie Oakley. She is part of our family regardless of her health. We will continue to take care of her and love her. Do your homework before making a purchase from here. I wish I had.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

We were recently scammed by Petland. We bought a Wheaton Terrier puppy for $2800 and after 3 days he developed pneumonia. Horrified at this we took him to vet (Econ River Fl) on their so called Care Plan and were told by their vet he’d swallowed cotton plus had pneumonia and would need surgery. Not happy with this diagnosis. We took him to a more reputable vet who advised there was no cotton in puppies GI, and it was just bad pneumonia.

We’ve now amassed another 2k vet bill and are awaiting results as I write this email. Our naivety at not researching Petland first also weighs heavy. There seems to be a slew of people who’ve had similar to experiences with dogs from these so called puppy-mills. Also I feel the vets assigned in care package are in on the scam as well, ours was Econ River. They told us they were going to do surgery for they’re diagnosed cotton swallowed. Other reputable vet stated vehemently this would have killed the puppy in his current pneumonia state. They also tried to upsell me on care package. (WHAT A RACKET)

Is there anything we can do for recourse? We contacted Petland where we purchased and of course they fobbed us off to their Pet Solutions warranty’s dept which was VM only. Can we join an existing lawsuit? I believe there’s one going on in TX or are we just another statistics beaten by a corporation? I contacted the ANIMAL DEFENSE LEAGUE, but no response yet. I sincerely hope this review stops someone falling prey like my family did. We love the dog and as of today 1/24/18 he’s on the mend, thats the only good thing in this mess. He could have been just another Petland statistics.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We purchased a Shiba Inu puppy from Petland Sarasota in October. They lied about the breed, they lied about the price. She was $2800, but they charged the cc company over $4000 for it and apparently, I signed off on it. (?) When I questioned how the price jumped so high, I was told they have a $1200 mandatory puppy package that everyone must purchase.(?) BS. The worst part of the whole experience is that my new baby was very sick. Days after we bought her, we found out she had kennel cough and giardia. Her cough had turned into pneumonia and she had to be hospitalized for 3 days (2 nights). Customer service is a complete joke. They refuse to look into anything for me. They don't even try to hide the fact that they don't care. They won't refund/reimburse.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I purchased a puppy from Petland Malls of Georgia 26 Dec 2017. We found the puppy we were looking for. When I asked they stated she was a purebred English Bulldog. All the paperwork they show/gave me states English Bulldog. They have a 3rd party do all their AKC registration, was instructed they have prepaid for everything for you. Today I went into AKC's website to look up information on her and she is listed with them as "All American Dog". I contacted Petland where I purchased her, in which they in turn had me call their Management group. Pet Solutions is their management group, they stated that they are not responsible for validating that the animals are purebred animals. Who in their right mind would pay the price for a purebred with papers and it not be? Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

WARNING... WARNING!!! Stay away from this place. I went to their store to adopt a Bernese Mountain puppy. I filled out the adoption application and one paper to see if I qualified for financing prior to talking about the price of the puppy. They took the application paper and applied to 2 loan companies and opened a Petland credit card in my name without my consent to finance the dog. They then told me just that I was approved and the dog was $2100 and my payments would be $44 per month. Little did I know that they gave my info to the other two companies and electronically signed for my loans. One company is charging me 143% interest and the other one is $151%! They're now saying the dog was $4500 and that they told me that... They did not. I am now stuck with 2 loans and a credit card bill and they aren't willing to do anything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

We brought our new puppy home Friday night 12/22 and by Christmas Eve she was totally lethargic, accompanied with diarrhea and vomiting. We took her to the emergency vet, spending the better part of our Christmas in the ER where she was diagnosed with coccidia AND parvo. She is now in the hospital getting treatment that we will pay for out of pocket rather than have Petland’s crackpot vets handle it. This place is a disgrace and should be ashamed of the way they care for the animals. If I could get this place shut down I sincerely would.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We bought Radar a 13 week old German Shepard pup who was thin but we didn’t think anything of it, as large breeds grow fast. We took Radar home and loved him, he got the best food and love we could give and I noticed on day 3 of having him he had a large lump on his bottom and that he wasn’t eating like normal pups. Off to the vet we went. They thought it was a hematoma and drained it... I took him home still bleeding and upon arrival he hemorrhaged all over the floor. It wasn’t a hematoma. Back to the vet we went after being told, "Oh no it’s not a big deal that there was blood out of his bottom." I sent the emergency vet a photo and he finally got it. Called and had me rush Radar in.

They couldn’t handle what they thought it was (never told us) and sent us to another vet where I had to pay cash to have Radar treated. Keep in mind he’s puking all over the place now. They discovered at the emergency ICU that Radar had Mega Esophagus and a peritoneal hernia. We had to put my sweet boy down a week after he came home to the day. I found out today at work that a coworker's boxer died 18 hours after going to her new family from the same shop. Don’t buy your puppy’s from there.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

We financed a great Bernese puppy from Petland Kennesaw for $3500. At the store, we noticed her eyes were watery and were told that she had just received a vaccination and it was just a side effect and that she was fine. We brought her home and that night she began to go down hill. Her nose began running and she started coughing. The next morning my kids came downstairs to see their puppy and found her in a pool of blood that was coming from her nose and mouth. We rushed her to our vet who told us not to get our hopes up about her surviving. He said in all the years he’s been a vet, he has never seen distemper, but if he had to guess, that’s what he would guess she had.

We contacted Petland and they told us they would pay for her care but we had to drive 2-1/2 hours to see their vet. Our puppy had to stay at their vet’s clinic for 10 days. Petland did pay the bill, but we had to take off work to drive back and forth from their vet, not to mention the gas money and the emotional trauma my kids were put through. Our dog survived, but we were told if she hadn’t been such a large breed, she would not have pulled through. I will never buy from a pet store ever again. Also, we researched the breeder who Petland claimed bred our dog, and this person doesn’t exist. The only reference In relation to this person’s address were accusations of a puppy mill.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I bought my German Shepherd last week on 10/19/17, when we got home we noticed the dog seemed lethargic and was having diarrhea. Friday morning I called Petland Novi and was told it’s normal and the dog was just adjusting to her new home and it is common signs of "anxiety". The diarrhea worsened Saturday and vomiting started. The diarrhea became so bad the puppy had water coming out from her back end. I took her to VCA as directed by Petland and VCA gave the dog nausea medicine and sent us on our way. The following day the puppy’s diarrhea cleared up a little but she started to refuse food and water. We contacted both Petland and VCA (which is the Vet they have a contract with) to let them know something was not right - we noticed she was having trouble breathing and had bright green mucus dripping from her nose.

VCA was OPEN when we called and they would not let us come even for an emergency visit because they were booked, so they told us to take her to the nearest emergency! AVE in Allen Park took X-rays and diagnosed the puppy with pneumonia after taking X-Rays and admitted her over night because she needed oxygen, breathing treatments and IV fluid. AVE also questioned why Petland was giving our puppy ** antibiotic before she was sold to us. This antibiotic is to treat infection which they did not disclose she had! When Petland was questioned, they stated the antibiotic was preventative! Antibiotic are never given for preventative measures to humans or animals! It is absolutely disgusting Petland would sell us a sick animal instead of taking the time to treat her of the illness!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Well happy birthday to my son. His Robo hamster killed his other Robo hamster. He woke to bloody hamsters, one dead. He has begged us for hamsters for over a year. I was in the day before asking questions about habitat and food etc. Not once did anyone mention hamsters aggressive behavior when housed together. We had the hamsters 3 days.

So on the bloody morning I go back to Petland. Petland says “it happens” and offers me a refund of $15. We spent over a $100. They tell me everything is used so no refund, but they will gladly refund $15 for the bloody murdering hamster. It took every bit of my self control not to shove the hamster’s dead body in the face of that smug little twit behind the counter. It happens? Why the hell didn’t these morons tell us not to get two? Why were we not told they need separate cages? It’s not even the money that makes me angry. It’s the fact that my son is devastated, his birthday ruined.

I was warned not to shop at Petland. I wish I had listen. I’ll be spreading the word of the disgrace Petland is. My son is devastated, but hey Petland made the sale. I just looked up more info on Robo hamsters. It says Robo hamsters should NOT live in groups. It causes aggression. Funny. Petland has 50 hamsters in one habitat. I believe they drug them to control aggression.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Purchased a puppy that came with a 30 day health care guarantee. Two days later the dog was diagnosed with respiratory issues and 2 more days later diagnosed with pneumonia. The Petland veterinary clinic was closed due to family emergency so I was forced to take the puppy to an outside vet (which is reimbursable per their contract). Petland breached their contract by not being available when my puppy became ill and not reimbursing me for the expenses I incurred. They have been nothing but rude and unhelpful and accept zero responsibility for selling me a sick puppy. Right now they owe me $639.82 which is how much money I put out for this sick pup, I still am incurring vet bills for follow up.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

On August 18, 2017 I financed an eight week old Cavachon from Petland in Dunwoody, Georgia who I named Kaydee. Kaydee was given a clean bill of health prior to my purchase by All Creatures Animal Hospital and had no health issues in my home. I took Kaydee to the same veterinarian within 48 hours of me taking her home and also brought sample of her stool as instructed. I was told that she was healthy and to expect a call in couple of days for her fecal test results.

That following Sunday I received call from the vet stating that Kaydee was diagnosed with Giardia. I was informed that this was nothing to worry about and to pick up her medication. The vet tech instructed me to administer ** for three days and to give her a bath on the third day. I did as instructed and Kaydee didn’t to seem have any issues at all.

Approximately one week later Kaydee started having episodes of bloody diarrhea. I placed a call to the clinic and expressed my concerns and was told that diarrhea was normal after being treated for Giardia. The clinic also stated if her symptoms continued to give them a callback. I called the clinic back after a couple of days of diarrhea and a new onset of vomiting. I then took her into the clinic and she was treated with IV fluid therapy and antibiotic therapy and a bland diet for a week. I also took another stool sample into the office during that same visit. The vet tech stated they would call me with results of the fecal test in a few days.

Kaydee begin to show signs of improvement and after a few days I placed a call to the vet for the results of her fecal test. I was informed that her fecal specimen was lost “in route” and to bring in another sample. At that time Kaydee had shown signs of improvement so I did not provide another sample and was told I can use the $30 I paid for the sample to be tested as credit.

On the late afternoon/early evening of October 1st, I took Kaydee in as an emergency visit because she was not acting her normal self and had an episode of diarrhea and multiple episodes of vomiting. Kaydee did have habit of eating things during her walk and thought that is possibly of what happened. At the time I took her into the office she was alert and oriented to her name, although I can sense she wasn’t feeling well she still wanted to play when she was around other dogs in the clinic. She was triaged and the plan that was given to me was they were going to run some diagnostic tests and begin treatment. Her expected stay was two to three days.

On October 2nd I received a call informing me Kaydee had passed. I am an emotional wreck as I had buried a Bichon three years prior whom I’ve had for twelve years and now I have to grieve the loss of Kaydee. I cannot make sense of this. No one ever informed me that she took a change for the worse. I feel like Petland had sold me a sick puppy from the beginning. I’m looking for answers and resources as to try to figure this out. I financed this puppy for over $2000.00 and spent well over $3000.00 since I had her for all of 6 weeks.

I have spent money on vet bills, food, medication, pet supplies, grooming and down to puppy school. I feel like Petland and All Creatures Animal Hospital should reimburse me for Kaydee’s expenses as well as payment for emotional suffering. I did contact and speak with a store manager by the name of Jaime who informed me of their “puppy for a lifetime” policy and she also stated she would speak with other managers to help me in this situation. I have read about a Petland fraudulent health certification class action law suit under federal racketeer influenced and corrupt organizations (RICO) claim. I believe my story fits this case.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I purchased my Boston terrier from Petland December 2016. I fell in love with her and financed her for $2500. Petland did not tell me that they used a 3rd party finance company that charges 30% interest rate or more. My payment was supposed to be $140 but sent me an email saying that my payment is now $294 a month now. That is higher than my car payment!!! My puppy has been to the vet several times and is up to date on her vaccinations but still has problems throwing up. I love my dog and wouldn't take anything for her but I WOULD NOT recommend PETLAND to anyone!!! I am now having to pay over $7000 for a dog that was supposed to be $2500 with the puppy package!!! DO NOT buy from PETLAND!!! They are really deceiving about their prices and financing!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I paid $2800.00 for a 10 week mini Goldendoodle puppy who I was told was AKC registered. Months later, I never received the AKC registration papers in the mail that I paid for, and even had to pay an additional $7 for postage, as I live in Texas. I got a call 3 months later informing me that my puppy is NOT registered, and they want to refund my $7. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I would NEVER have paid nearly $3,000.00 for a puppy that was NOT registered! These stores get their puppies from PUPPY MILLS! They are fraudulently selling "registered" dogs. DO NOT PURCHASE AN ANIMAL FROM PETLAND! I will be pursuing legal action as this is consumer fraud and a misleading business practice. I was told the employee who sold me the puppy no longer works at the store, therefore I am left to suffer the consequences.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

My 23 year old son went into the Petland in Robinson with his girlfriend with the intent to just look at the puppies. He ended up falling in love with an English Bulldog that was 12 weeks old. The sales person had my son finance this puppy thru two separate financing companies of which charged over 24 - 26 percent interest over a 7 year period. Bottom line is the cost of the puppy was $7,200.00 and by the end of the financing terms would have cost my son close to $12,000.00. Now I admit my son lacks the financial experience in reading the lease terms and only acted off his gut and that was he wanted this dog.

After taking the dog to a reputable vet, we asked her how much she thought my son paid for this dog and she said at most $1,000.00. When we told her the cost of this dog she was upset to say the least. As a parent, I ended up contacting the financing companies and bought out both leases so that my son was only paying the principal amount. After I had bought out the leases, I contacted the owner to see if I could at least get some type of discount as I believe their salesperson took advantage of my son and his lack of experience. I was willing to pay $5,000 for the dog which was still way over what this dog was worth. He said that he only makes about 7 - 10 percent profit on these dogs and assured me she came from a reputable breeder. After researching the breeder, I had found out that this puppy came from a puppy mill and that she had other charges against her. He assured me that these dogs can go in excess of $30,000.

I realize my son was in the wrong for signing such papers and that from a legal standpoint, there was nothing I could do. I am still very upset about this purchase as English Bulldogs have a history of only living 5 - 8 years if lucky and typically go for $1,500 - $3,000. I would never do business in the store again and would highly recommend that anyone looking for a dog go elsewhere, someplace where they could be treated fairly. There are so many puppies that need a good home and to have a pet store charge such an outrageous amount is unethical.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Do not buy from Petland!!!! There is no guarantee that you are getting a pure bred dog. We paid 3000 for what was supposed to be a Pomeranian. Already ashamed of the price but our kids have always dreamed of owning a Pomeranian since they are so cute and fluffy. We got sucked in by being able to pay monthly payments which is our own fault of course. We noticed after 6 months that her hair was not puffing up like a Pomeranians so we called Petland and they told us not to worry that the Pomeranians go through a "puppy ugly phase" and by the time she's a year she should have her full adult coat and it should "puff up", so we waited. She is now a year and 3 months old and she obviously looks like she is mixed with something.

Pomeranians are only supposed to get up to 9 lbs, called Petland Dallas and told them that our dog is too big to be a Pom, she told me that Poms are supposed to get up to 9 lbs and her EXACT words after I told her that the last time we weighed her she was 12 was "OH THAT IS BIG" She then gave me the number to their warranty department. We called Petland’s warranty department and we were told to take a picture of her on a scale so we took to her a vet and she weighs 12.6 lbs. The vet told us that she is either a Schipperke or mixed with one. He was sure that she was not full blood Pomeranian. In fact he told us that we should get with who we bought her from and research.

After sending Petland Warranty company a picture as they requested of our dog on a scale showing that she weighed 12.6 lb they then came back and asked to send them the breeder’s information that we got from Petland and told us they would research. Waited and nothing. So I emailed them again asking what the latest was and that is when they replied back that stating that they didn't sell us our puppy for us to breed her??? I NEVER PLANNED ON BREEDING HER! In fact we got her "fixed" when she was 6 months old!!

They then basically told us that they were not accountable for "physical traits" and that there was nothing Petland was going to do about it??!! SO PRETTY MUCH, WE PAID FOR A POM BUT IF PETLAND FALSELY SOLD US A CHIHUAHUA THEN THEY AREN’T LIABLE SINCE THEY DON’T GUARANTEE PHYSICAL TRAITS??!! I guess they could sell us anything if that is the case! They were not willing to work with us in any kind of way. Do not buy from Petland, there is no guarantee what kind of breed you are paying thousands for.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

On July 1st we went into Petland to possibly purchase a puppy to train to be a Service Dog for my daughter. We found a Dachshund and they explained the dogs come with veterinarian care till they are 6 months old. They also said if anything happens to one of my older dogs their vet will care for the dog at Petland expense. They told us all shots, care were taken care of with the puppy package that we get when we take the dog. I asked again to make sure I understood her that all shots and care up till 6 months old is covered and she said yes. I let them do a credit check to see if we could finance the dog. They came back and told me I passed their Store Credit Card so we could purchase the dog that way. I then explained we are on disability so I need to budget and need to know the exact amount each month we would be expected to pay.

They went off and my daughter kept playing with the puppy. At that time we noticed it was sneezing and coughing slightly. They returned and told me after talking to the lender the payments would be around $150 or so. I told them that was too high we couldn't do it. They said they would go and talk to them again and see what they could do. They came back and said they were able to get the payments down to $95.00 a month and I said better but let me go home and budget and come back. I understood they couldn't hold the dog and I was okay with that but I couldn't give an answer till I was able to do a budget. This was a selling factor as was the veterinarian covering needs till she is 6 months old. We left.

Later on when done I called and told them we could do it and I was coming in to get the dog. She said: "Great." I get there and they are in a panic as it seems another employee had shown the dog to a family who was going through the credit process and had left for dinner and she called them and told them they passed and they can come get the dog. This in the same time I was told to come in. Neither girl knew the other called me or the other family. We got there and my daughter took the dog since we had applied 1st and they showed us the young girl who wanted the dog from a distance. All of a sudden the girl's mom came in and the girl who up till that time was taking it well broke down crying.

Out of nowhere Gloria walked up to her and handed the dog to her and told her to keep him. We can wait till they get another one in a few days. Everyone was shocked and after the store saying no we keep it I put my foot down and said we will wait. On the 4th of July I got the call another pup was in so we went in to see her. We saw her and she was sickly. My daughter came over and told me the dog was really sneezing and coughing and lethargic. When I looked at the dog she blew a rather large snot bubble and at that point I stopped and asked for a vet tech or the store manager. I went out of the booth to do the paperwork and to talk to them about what I was seeing. The girl brought me tons of paperwork to sign and as I tried to read them she kept talking explaining I guess the pages before I could read them fully.

Now understand we were there already for hours and I was tired and I didn't have my hearing aid in because I rushed so we wouldn't lose the chance at another dog. When the girl was confused as to why I wanted them I said I am not comfortable bringing a sick dog home at this time with 2 older dogs already there. She said no manager or vet tech was probably still around so I asked her to go check. She came back and said the vet tech was still there and would be out soon. I asked her how they handle sick dogs. Do they isolate them or put them back with other puppy's and she said most likely it will be put back in with the ones she traveled here with. I told her unacceptable as she is sick and needs to be away from others.

The vet tech came out to me. I asked him to look the dog over and had my daughter tell him what she was seeing with her in the booth. He looked her over said yes she is sick and he will start her on meds till the vet came. I asked when is the vet expected and if she will be isolated or back with others and he said vet will be in on Thurs the 6th and she would be put away from other dogs. I said okay and he took the dog and I went back to the paperwork. Well we got to the financial papers and she turned around and said the payments won't be $95.00 it would be over $100.00 plus but in time the payments will go down as it is paid off. Then she informed me there were 2 lenders not 1 that I will be paying. One was the Store Card, the other was a company that lends money that was why my payments would be higher than the promised $95.00 that I had went home and budgeted for.

Why I wasn't told this on the 1st when they checked my credit and approved me is beyond me. I saw the store card paperwork and did read it but saw nothing for the 2nd lender. She told me she would be right back. After almost a half hour and me falling asleep I was told to come to the phone at the register. It was the girl and she said the phone I was on wouldn't allow her to get through to the 2nd lender and that it was an electronic signature so she had to go to the back and call them there and she needed to ask me some questions on their behalf so I said fine. She said when done I will get an email with the contract. I finished all the paperwork and we finally left.

We waited all day Thurs the 6th for the call to see how she was no call So I called them that night and they said the vet will be there in the morning we can't take her home. So on Friday the 7th we stopped into see her and she looked and acted really bad. They told me the vet said she needed to stay and he would be back to look on her in a few days.

All this time I didn't get any calls on her so I kept calling or stopping in there. Also I received the Store Card and information on what to pay each month but still nothing on 2nd lender or their name. I called the store and was upset I had nothing about 2nd lender so they gave me the managers name and told to call her back tomorrow so I did and the manager Jen was busy and said she would call me and she didn't so I called her back later and she and I talked about the mix up with the 1st dog and the poor information I was given about the finances. She apologized explaining she had been away from the store for a week or so and she would get to the bottom of it all. She also said she would take the puppy home and watch it till it was better. She even gave me her personal cell number to call about the puppy.

She had me call the store back ask for Kerry and get the name and number of the 2nd lender since she doesn't handle the financial part. I called got the lenders name and called them. I was given another shock. Seems the lender was told I took his loan out on the 1st so my 1st payment was due on the 31st of July not August like the other lender. I was like wow I have to come up with a payment and I don't even have the dog yet. Then he informed me I have 6 months to pay on a promotion and if not paid in full then I will be charged interest from the 1st day of the loan July 1st even though I would have had already paid 6 months of payments I will still be charged from day one amount not the amount due after the 6 months is up.

Then I see there was a Loan Origination Fee % of $208.00 which brings my loan to $2,808.00 never told that and then I see the Total Number of Payments on bottom of loan page and for a loan of $2,600.00 when it's done I will have paid them $5,046.17. Wow never told that either. Lastly there are two (2) amounts on the loan page for interest to be paid. One says 29.992% APR and the other says 26.020%. Not sure which I am paying and the store when I asked Karry said she has no clue either. Also I had to borrow the 1st payment since it was not budgeted for the month of July because I was told payments would start in August but they started in July.

Called Jen and told her all that and how I was upset about this not being disclosed to me from the start. Jen told me I signed all papers so I was informed and I informed her this was electronically done and supposedly her phone up front was not working so her girl had to go to the back and do the calling and that didn't seem right. Anyway I got the number to corporate and I called corporate. I explained everything that had happened and the girl Lissa (not sure of correct spelling) told me she was having her supervisor call me and to expect a call from a Jen later that day or the next. Yes it seems her supervisor is also named Jen like the Store manager. She ended the call with saying Jen will find a way to compensate me and make this right. Let me add right here I have a program on my cell that records all incoming and outgoing calls.

I waited 2 days for this Jen to call me then I called and left a not so pleasant message that I was going to put a complaint in with the BBB. Guess what I got a call from Jen who said sorry was not was aware she was to call me. Jen told me she would check with the store and get back to me. Well a few days later she got back to me and it didn't end well. Her people denied everything and no mention of making this right. I put the complaint in with the BBB. Petland's response so far is priceless. It went from me demanding a vet tech to them finding the dog sick on their own. It went from them telling me the shots and any issues with the dog were covered by the puppy package to me having to pay for shots and when blood was found in her stools I had to pay for it to be looked at and taken care of.

Also I picked the dog up on the 13th of July, 13 days after they had submitted the paperwork to both lenders so they show me as having the dog on the 1st not the 13th. Lastly our courts told the store not to sell any dogs but we found out after we already bought it and they still are selling dogs. They are heading back to court.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

We bought was we thought was our dream dog Pomeranian from Petland Dallas on July 24, 2016. Ashamed to admit how much we paid for her, had to get a payment plan! We started noticing that our dog was not puffing up like a real Pomeranian and have made several calls to Petland asking why. Each time we were told that the puppy was going through a "puppy ugly" phase and her hair should puff up by the time she is a year old. We waited a year and her hair is still flat on her back and she is extremely large for a "Pomeranian". Now I realize we were scammed into waiting a year.

We have had several random people ask us what kind of dog that she is and when we told them Pomeranian they look at us funny and a few of them have had their own opinion as to what she is, some of whom HAVE their own Pomeranians and one was a Pomeranian breeder. We took her to PetSmart to weigh her and the vet looked at her and immediately said that she was a Schipperke or American eskimo dog. After researching yes, I agree that she is mixed with something and is not full Pom.

She weighs 12.6 lbs and Pomeranians are supposed to get up to 7 lbs, I called Petland and the girl who answered was like "whoa that's big". We have read several reviews that Petland are getting dogs from puppy mills and now it is becoming clear that we have been lied to and scammed and I want a full refund for her. Our kids love her and we will not simply "trade her in" as it was mentioned on the phone. "As we explained previously, this puppy is provided solely for the purpose of a companion pet. Per Petland warranty, there is no guarantee expressed or implied that you will be able to use this pet for showing or breeding purposes." <-- NOTE: MY DOG IS FIXED, NEVER DID I MENTION WANTING TO BREED HER.

"Petland does not guarantee physical traits. At the time of purchase, the pedigree, canine partners instruction sheet and APRI registration application were provided to you." <-- So pretty much they can sell me a pig and call it a Pomeranian but because I signed something that they don't guarantee physical traits they can get away with it? "Unfortunately, there can be no compensation for concerns over physical traits. If you would like, we can reach out to Koda's breeder to see if we can get any pictures of her sire and dam but that would be the most that can be offered in this case." I need a reasonable resolution from Petland, this is terrible service!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

After paying $2300 for an AKC long haired Chihuahua puppy at Petland, I discovered the average market price for them is $500 to $800. I have never felt like such an idiot. Do your research. Besides, the pup sneezed a couple times while I was purchasing. I told the worker he sneezed. His reply was: "Just a sneeze. That's all." Within a week he was diagnosed with a cold and cough. A few days later he was hospitalized for pneumonia for 6 days. He's still getting over the cough and I've had him a month. I have had to put potty training off because he's been too sick. I feel so ripped off. Do NOT buy a pet from Petland.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This company plays on a person's emotions. Their procedures are to get your emotional attachment in high gear before telling you the cost of the puppy which is astronomical. Then they bombard you with how supposedly easy the payments will be of only $25 monthly with 0% interest. All the while you're getting sucked in by the emotional attachment and the idea that it's not a financial burden. I'd like to say I'm an intelligent person and make wise decisions in regards to financial matters but I got snookered. Then I took the puppy I bought to my vet and the poor thing had ear mites so severe it took months to get rid of them. She still gets ear infections because of those ear mites.

This company is worse than a loan shark or those payday loan companies we read about. After the puppy is brought home and the excitement has calmed down I learned that this 0% interest is only for 12 months and if it's not paid in full by the end of that time - not only does the interest jump to 29.99% you will be charged the interest for that year regardless of your balance at the end of that promotion. I fortunately did a balance transfer but for those who can not or did not realize the scam - they have no recourse. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PETLAND. They do not care about the animals or finding a good home - they only want to take advantage of people.

Original review: July 28, 2017

In December 2016 I purchased a Neapolitan Mastiff puppy from Petland Sarasota. I was an idiot for not researching them beforehand. My mother and I went in to pass some time and we decided to play with brother and sister Neopolitan Mastiffs. We asked the sales girl how much the male was. We were told $4500. I asked if he was AKC registered. She said that he was and went on to explain that all of their puppies came from reputable breeders and that they are against puppy mills. My mom and I decided that I would see if I could get financed. Their computers were down so they said it was going to be a little bit. My mom and I walked next door to Target then went back. I got approved for part of the cost. We negotiated that $4500 was a little high. The sales girl went and talked to someone.

When she came back she said that if we chose not to take the crate and toys that came with him they would take close to $1000 off. That left a total of $3700.00, $259.00 tax, and a $49.00 finance fee putting the total at $4008.00. There was a down payment of $1979.49 due at the store. I was financed for $1000.00 from a different company so that left a payment of $979.49 due. We got to bring a puppy home for the family at Christmas. The sales girl explained the puppy for life program, which was included in the price, as long as we took the puppy to Petland's preferred vet, fed him their food, and gave him their vitamins and supplements. However, since we live 75 miles from the store and vet we were told that we could take him to our vet. The sales girl handed me the puppy and went over the paperwork with my mom.

It was Christmas time so I neglected reading over the paperwork thoroughly when we came home. When I went to change his registration with the AKC to me as his owner I found out that he is only registered as AKC Partners. I had never heard of that. I researched it only to find out that any dog can be registered with Partners, whether it is full blooded or not. After finding that out I looked to find out the name of the breeder he came from. It was listed as Michele ** as his breeder. I started to look into that. I found that Michele ** is related to the owner of Stonehenge Kennels, Steve Kruse. Steve Kruse has received multiple violations and has been suspended, however I'm not sure if he's still breeding. Michele ** is also right down the street from Stonehenge Kennels.

After finding that out I asked my vet if we could do a DNA test. I spent $80.00 to find out that my puppy was in fact pure bred 3 generations back. He also had no genetic issues listed on that specific test, I later found out from another vet that certain tests only test for certain things. At that point I figured it would be pointless to contact Petland about any of this. In May 2017 my puppy got sick. He quit eating, was losing weight rapidly, and did nothing but sleep. I took him to my vet who told me if I had any chance of my puppy surviving that I had to get him to an emergency vet that night, so I drove him to an animal hospital 45 mins from home. My vet believed he had a bowel obstruction. The emergency vet kept him overnight. Their thought was that he had leptospirosis. He was in the hospital for 4 days.

When we brought him home he was on 4-5 different medications, had to be fed with a syringe, and had to have subcutaneous fluids (iv fluids we had to administer under his skin). He had 3 leptospirosis tests done and they all came back negative. Without further testing they were not able to tell us if it was a communicable disease or if it is was hereditary/genetic. However, I couldn't afford any more testing. In 5 days I spent $5000 on vet care. My puppy did get better, but it is unknown if he will get sick again. At this point I did a Google review on Petland Sarasota explaining all that had happened. Their response apologized for my bad experience then referred to the warranty that came with my dog that states I have 14 days following my purchase to contact the store if a licensed vet finds my dog unfit for sale or 48 hours if a vet finds my puppy unfit due to hereditary disorders.

The funny thing is, even if I made the review right after I got him, it took them 2-3 weeks to respond stating that policy. I then decided to do a complaint with the BBB. Again I explained everything. I did say my mom signed the finance paperwork. However I think I signed the finance paperwork and that my mom handled all the other paperwork. I said that I felt I deserved at least a partial refund. Their response stated that the General Manager said that it was explained to me that my puppy was AKC Partners and ACA registered. I have never heard of ACA until I got the BBB response. They also said that I signed all of the finance paperwork, they sent copies of the paperwork and my driver's license with the response.

I couldn't see the copy of the paperwork they attached with the response so I got my copy out to look at. Well, there is no signatures on my copy so I'm not sure if I signed them. They said they are surprised my puppy came down with an illness since they were never notified and neither was their preferred vet. That there is stipulations in their warranty about hereditary issues and I am welcome to take my puppy to their preferred vet if I feel that is the case. Petland said they could not comment on the ban that is in place stating they are no longer able to sell puppies and kittens because they are currently in litigation with the city of Sarasota, but they can say that I purchased my puppy before the ban.

I will agree with the fact that I did purchase him before. I purchased him Dec 17, 2017 and the ban was supposed to start Jan 27, 2017. Petland filed a lawsuit against Sarasota County's ban in Oct 2016. I did mention in my BBB complaint that I had learned that Petland had been going back and forth with the city over the law, I never mentioned anything else about it in my complaint. In my rebuttal to Petland's response I said that yes I bought mine 2-3 weeks before the ban but that does not take away from the fact that 7 months after the ban was to be in effect they are still selling puppies and kittens.

Petlands final part of the response was that they are sorry I was not completely happy but they see nothing that would merit a partial refund of my contracts. My puppy has severe separation anxiety. He cries, barks, sheds, and pees if he's put in a crate. If he is not confined he chews anything and everything he can, no matter how many toys or bones he has.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I Purchased what we were told was a purebred Silver Labrador puppy last August from Petland in Fairfax Virginia. From two days after we brought him home he had GI issues which the vet told us was Giardia. It took 9 months of treatment to cure him of this and thousands of dollars later, we find out through a DNA test that he in fact is not a purebred dog but a mix of lab/Weimaraner. The test indicated only one of his parents was in fact a purebred! I am so upset. We filed a complaint with AKC who has opened up a case and have a case opened with Pet Solutions who handles all of the claims for Petland. I don't know how this happens, my dog is registered with AKC as a purebred dog! And according to his pedigree paperwork everything is in order, AKC told me that the sire and Dam might not in fact be his parents!

I asked Pet Solutions how they verify that what they are being told by the breeders is accurate? I was told that they go by the paperwork that they are given. I am so frustrated and upset. If I had wanted a mix breed dog I would have adopted one! Don't get me wrong. I love my dog. He is a wonderful dog, but I do not want to be lied to and cheated out of 3000 dollars for a mixed breed dog. This company either knew it wasn't true just to make a quick buck or they need to start doing their homework before you buy from a breeder, I had been told he was from a small family breeder in Ohio. I google the owner and bring up a map of this breeder and he has many large buildings with no doubt kennels in them!

I'm truly sickened by this, my fault I know buying from a pet store having read horror stories about puppy mills. Well at least my dog was one of the lucky ones to have escaped that horror and has a great life. Petland needs to be put out of business! I will not stop until I get restitution for what has happened! Shame on you Petland!!! Now the wait begins as all parties do their own investigations.

Original review: July 6, 2017

This place where is at they do not use puppy mills but I have a very bad feeling they do. I spend $2,700 on a miniature poodle. She has a parasite. She came from the puppy mill with that we can't get rid of. Her hair is not growing in certain spots. That is because it is not from a reputable private breeder. I thought I was doing a good thing. My little poodle died and I wanted to replace him and I was grieving but I made a very big mistake by going to Petland. I went to the one in Fort Myers on College Avenue. Do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from there.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchased a cocker spaniel from Petland. During her first year of life, she developed cherry eye in both eyes. The warranty would pay for a procedure that would remove her tear glands. I would have to administer eye drops 4 to 5 times a day, and still run the risk of eye ulcers. I opted for a tuck procedure that would preserve her tear glands. It was more expensive, so I paid the difference, which was a couple hundred dollars. Warranty department did not care what was best for the dog, only what procedure was cheaper. Year 3 of Maggie's life, she is having ear infection after ear infection. Her ears become swollen and inflamed, eventually swelling shut, with pus seeping, despite multiple Vet visits and medications. Vet diagnoses her with proliferative ear disease and Maggie is sent to a surgeon at MedVet.

She has to have the skin in her ear canals removed in both ears. (TECA) WARRANTY DEPARTMENT REFUSED TO PAY ANYTHING. Even with a letter from the vet stating this ear disease was a congenital issue, so should be covered, the warranty department refused simply because she was not diagnosed her first year of life! This surgery is thousands of dollars that I have to pay with no help from them, despite the claim they stand behind every puppy they sell. In addition, she has complicated food allergies that we are still trying to figure out. Warranty department does not care at all. I am responsible for everything.

Petland Company Information

www.petland.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use