1.24/5

Looking for a pet store?

600 Petland Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

1st off we are told the Neopolitan Mastiff female is full blood and just need some extra attention and care. I should have knew I was being took. We accepted her and at 4 months she has cherry eye. We had to argue to get it fix then was told to spray her she is "DEFECTIVE"! Then we explained that we plan on breeding her. Was told her puppies will be also. Not to mention she wouldn't gain any weight. We have a Male age 2 same breed at 170lbs. He was 110 at 1 years old. She is 11 months now and 67lbs and look like a bloodhound mix with neopolitan mastiff.

We went thru customer service they provided which was a third party. Fast forward was told we was at the top of ladder and nothing they can do. We love our dog of course but paying around 4k for a mix dog sucks. We offer to pay for DNA test was told it wasn't enough proof. Their own vets told us she was mixed with something. The third party said best thing was go after the breeder. Which they say was AKC approved. We talked to lawyers and was shocked that the fight of the case will not be worth it in comparison to the fees. So dont go there Batavia Petland in Illinois. Sad thing we brought our 1st dog from Perland Chicago Ridge and received the exact opposite. Convinced that all their dogs are from mills or basements now. Dont waste your HARD earn money. SCAMMERS!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

My grandson and I went to the Robinson Township Petland on Sunday April 28 th 2019 to buy a hamster. While there we noticed a lovely puppy and asked about the price to 3 different store associates that were standing around doing nothing. They all said they dont have the price and would have to ask. One lady walked away and said she would find out but went instead to help others that came in. I stood around for 10 mins trying to get a price out of the other 2 ladies but they just refused. Finally I gave up and left, I guess I looked like a couldnt afford one of their dogs. Needless to say I will never be going back to their store for anything ever. I have never seen such discrimination.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I wish I had read all the reviews, news stories, and class action lawsuit articles about Petland in Robinson prior to going to this store. The staff is unbelievably rude, unprofessional, and immoral. I purchased a dog for an outrageous price. The following day I realized the dog was unsafe around my children as it continuously tried to bite them and myself. I called right away to tell them the dog must come back and I would like refunded. I was hung up on, given attitude, and specifically told “You can bring the dog back but you’re not getting a refund”.

I filed complaints with Pet Solutions and two government agencies. I also contacted the police as 5 days have passed and my complaint/request has not been addressed. I keep getting the runaround. The lender which whom the store set up financing with said they would gladly cancel the financing if the store would call and authorize it. Out of greed the store will not. I can’t bring the dog back as pet solutions said it will be viewed as surrendering the dog which no refund can be given. My kids are terrified. I’m so upset this has been the worst experience ever!!!

Original review: April 14, 2019

My husband and I were interested in checking the 2 postings for miniature schnauzer I saw on the Knoxville, TN site. I emailed a request for information and received a call later that night. The lady on the other end began by telling me ALL the extras they supplied and I finally had to pull out of her the cost. She said that all their pups started at $800 and up -- I almost dropped over when she quoted over $4000 for the schnauzer. I quickly ended that call. How ridiculous!

Original review: March 28, 2019

To all that think of the cute overpriced puppy in the store of Petland and you want to save them, the hard and hope others don’t pay the high price Milo had and the price cost him is life in 3. 5 years. The story of Milo began June 2015. The intent started out on a Friday 2015. My spouse and I went to the Milwaukee humane society to try and adopt a lab that was there to only sadly get turned away as someone was already in front of us to take that dog home. With disappointment my spouse said, "Let’s go to a Petland Racine," I wasn’t keen on that idea as well. I felt and certainty that they sold dogs from puppy mills. But either way we still went and what caught my eye was the most beautiful white dog with these adorable markings on his ears and beautiful blue eyes.

The Clerk asked if we wanted to play with him, we couldn’t resist this handsome boy. We became interested and then we asked the price. The price was $3500, sadly as much as a wanted him that price was too much and we left the nameless pup there. Went home empty that night. Thru the course of the week I called consistently to see if we knock that price down and they wouldn’t budge, but for someone odd as it was meant to happen this beautiful boy we seemed drawn to and needed to have. A week passed and we went back and paid the overpriced and for sold on there their lies and deceit of how he came from a reputable breeder.

We took Milo as we named him at 10 weeks old to join our family and as he was sold to us as they said in good health, simply this wasn’t the case, Milo was sent home with 2 medications. On was a cough suppressant and another was an antibiotic. Being a first time owner and lack of judgment and being so naive to the lies that were sold you thought that what they and the owner told you that it was legit and they didn’t use bad breeders. From the day Milo came to us his life would be cut short and the first year of his life before his first birthday Milo, suffered with pneumonia, démodex mange, seizure, countless emergency rooms visits, oxygen chamber visits for oxygen. Spent June 2015-2016 on medication daily.

Finally late 2016 we took Milo to Madison to see what was the wrong with Milo and why Milo suffered from respiratory distress. His primary vet and vets before that visit to Madison all thought he had scar tissue damage from when he was young from the severe pneumonia he had. Well seems it was uncovered by a laryngeal exam that Milo was born with congenital laryngeal paralysis that was bilateral and his intake of air was like the size of straw opening.

Sadly that disease was not typical in a Siberian husky. This was more an older dog thing that could happen, Milo was 1 in a million to this occur. Sadly this disease would and could one day suffocate him to death. We after learning what was the fate changed our lives with Milo to let Milo have a good life of what he could filled with so much love and what he could handle, he was babied, fed at height level, to make eating and drinking easier. Milo was bought a dog stroller to go on walks he enjoyed that he couldn’t handle. Milo knew his own limits when he needed to rest to catch his breath. The year of 2018 we saw more difficulties with him getting out of breath more easily than the years prior.

Well many were amazed Milo lived as long as he did, we really hoped he would have lived more years. In winter of March 2019 we decided to see if we could improve and give Milo more help to breathe and better some quality of his life even if it meant a few more years, Milo deserved the best that could be. We took him to Madison to get what they call a laryngeal tie back surgery to permanently open one of the paralyzed folds. The prognosis was high. He would be good and all would be successful and it would give Milo back what he so deserved and should have had. An exam was performed 2-28 by the specialists and surgery took place 3/1. Surgery went better than expected, however this is how the story ended.

Shortly 5 after surgery Milo went downhill and suffered a cardiac arrest 2 times and God took and called Milo home. Life support was used and CPR was performed, but our precious Milo was called to the rainbow bridge and God's world. So for those that think Petland and the lies and deceit are worth it we ask you. Is the price that our boy endured worth the endless heartache that you will feel forever. So ask this. How much is that doggy in the store? Can you put a price on the loss of a pet you love like your own child and the selfless love. Milo paid the ultimate price because of some selfish Amish couple from Oswego Kansas name John **. All for the cost to breed and not care of the harm it will cost a family and shame on the Petlands that lie and deceive consumers.

We uncovered the lies and true heritage of Milo and where he came from and how he came to us, I never saw the parents of him and sure the dreadful conditions his mother lived in or father, I am sure to bet they aren’t alive either. Many would think we deserved this. See he was from a store, key note I got my money back for Milo after I fought and found the lies that they sold us when we got him months later. Again how much can you put a price on something so special you love as a child. We wouldn’t change doing it over again with Milo, Milo was meant to be found.

Milo had a big purpose and that was to educate the public and make others aware where those animals come from and open our eyes to the horrible tragic outcome that can occur all for profit and lies, open our eyes to the pain the their parents Endure with no love and freedom never have a loving home, bed, good vet care, a warm hand. The parents breed and then can have medical issues or disease passed to their puppies and can eventually lead to the sadness we got that Milo's genetic line gave him which ultimately gave him a short end. If you choose to not adopt find a reputable breeder in your state and make sure to see the parents.

Read and educate your self if you want a purebred dog, check the place out, go to a shelter or foster, save a life and make a dog happy and stop the hurt of the parents and the greedy pet store owners and bad puppy mill breeders that don't care because it’s all about profit. Milo had a story and a purpose and that is why he was chosen to be found by us to educate others and shut these pet stores of Petland down and countless others. Milo condition has helped the Madison school with his condition and will help other dogs with this progressive disease maybe have a chance. In loving memory of Milo. 4-6-2015 to 3/1/2019. Share his story and help educate others so they don’t ensure the heartbreak.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: March 17, 2019

Petland is the biggest scam of all scams I have seen in my life. We purchased a Chihuahua on a Saturday night telling the clerk we may not be able to to finance the puppy because of a bankruptcy we had. He said not to worry, just return the puppy if there is a problem. Rushing through the paperwork, we left the store. So hopeful we would be able to keep this beautiful baby, we took him home to meet the family.

In Monday morning, we found out we could not keep him. We were heartbroken. I cried so hard the entire eat to the store. I couldn't even go in. My husband took the puppy back to the same guy who sold him to us. Now we are getting bills for $3000 for a dog we don't have. When we call Petland, they called me a puppy abandoner. We have called several times and still they start the conversation by calling us names. I wouldn't buy a chew toy from this company, let alone a living animal. When I told the solutions manager that they sold the dog to another family and essentially got $6000 for the dog the guy said, "Yes, yes probably." Unbelievable! Beware!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I took my daughter to the store in Davie, FL last week to look at a boxer. As we entered the store one of the associates was apparently starting his shift because he had just been dropped off and walked in right behind us. We stood at the kennel windows for several minutes before I had to flag someone down for help. The same kid came over. We asked him to show us the boxer that was sharing a kennel with 2 other dogs. After a few minutes I asked him if he knew where the dogs came from. OMG...he proceeded to tell me that they only buy from the top 5% of breeders around the country and that this particular boxer was purchased from a multi million dollar home where they never walk outdoors and have heated floors for the dogs to walk and sleep on. That was enough for me to simply give the dog back and leave...I’m not that gullible.

So today, just to see what happens, I went back. The boxer was sold but I asked to see the Rottweiler pup they had. Juan brought him out and placed him in the play area for us to check it out. He said the pup costs $5400 (yeah ok!). When I asked him for details of where the dog came from he brought me a copy of the health certificate and documentation of where it was breed. IOWA! Home of the puppy mills. He also gave me the “top 5% BS story”. I asked him about the certificate showing that the dog was checked for hip dysplasia but he had no idea what I was talking about. Clearly he didn’t know what hip dysplasia was. After I explained it to him, I asked him to tell me about how the company would resolve or honor their warranty if the pup developed severe dysplasia. All he could tell me was that if the dog died within the 1st year due to genetic conditions they would replace the dog.

After much wasted back and forth with no clear answer, he told me that if I were serious about the dog, he said...”Between you and I, I’ll throw in the crate, toys, some food and bowl at no charge (valued at $400)”. BS!!! As I walked around the store, there’s an area in the back with a display of the same items he said he’d give me for free on the hush with a big sign "FREE with dog purchase". WTF!

For $5400 they better guarantee me that the dog craps gold nuggets and pee’s Champagne. They better also guarantee a champion bloodline from a real breeder. But more importantly, stop lying to make a sale. They prey on the public who hasn’t taken the time to better educate themselves on how or where to buy a quality pup. Most people have no clue how Petland is the largest retail seller of pups who come from puppy mills where they live in deplorable conditions and where adult dogs are like machines that simply manufacture litters. The ONLY reason we went there was to see if my daughter would have an allergic reaction to the dogs. I will never buy from them nor do I recommend anyone buy there either. You can buy a high quality pup from a reputable breeder for about half the price (or less), even if you have to drive out of state or just a few mins or hours away from home. Very sad.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Petland has sold me a sick Yorkie. It was the worst experience. My first pet and she is and has been sick since the manager played the cough off at first and now my dog has been on 4 different meds and she’s still not home with me. I have some anxiety issues now with when she’s ready to come home will she survive. Someone please help.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My wife went to Petland 744 E Boughton Rd Bolingbrook, IL 60440 United States to buy a Siberian husky. She fell in love with one. Petland made us buy all the starter kit that includes a cage, but the same cage we had to buy from them was the reason she died. Siberian husky’s are natural escape dogs. They will find a way to escape, she push through the divider and got stuck halfway and died. Petland said that was not the right cage for the dog. But they made me buy the cage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I purchased a puppy from Petland of Rockford and have never regretted a decision more in my life. The puppy itself was not the problem, but the company and the employees are. We had been talking of getting another dog for a long time and wanted our current dog to have a friend. Our dog has never had any problems with other dogs in the past. We decided to go look and fell in love with a puppy. We ended up taking the puppy home the same day and very quickly realized our dog was not very friendly with this puppy. When I say not friendly I mean teeth showing, frothing at the mouth, and lunging for this puppy. It was stressing out the puppy and our dog. So we decided that it was best to return the puppy and this is when the problems began.

When we were filling out paperwork, we were told by an employee that there is a 48 hour return policy. They said that you could either get another puppy or kitten or have in store credit. So that to me means another animal or anything in the store. However they tell me later that no, it's only towards another animal. That is simply not an option for us and I'm sure other people as well. So they expect us to pay the whole loan amount for absolutely no goods in return! So trying to take care of the situation I talked to Solutions, which is their third party customer service, and they were not helpful.

So we called the finance company itself and unfortunately they had no control, but said that Petland has 100% ability to void the contract or work something out with us. However, even after calling probably over 50 times total in the span of a week, leaving messages, and asking to speak with a manager, I still haven't been able to speak to a manager. I also asked to be connected to the owner of the store, but was told that wasn't an option. The owner clearly doesn't pay attention to anything going on involving the store. All this company cares about is getting money and nothing else. They don't care about their customers or the animals. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and will talk anyone out of shopping here!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My husband and I bought Golden Labrador in PetLand. The person Adriana who is consulting and help there, helped us a lot. Was very sincere and nice. It's a clean and good quality place, from our sign. Yes, it was very expensive for us, but, they give financial plan and benefits. We love our new baby and hope everything will be good! :-)

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My background is, I am a disabled woman with multiple mental issues. I do have a caregiver. She was with me (witness). I went into Petland after phone conversation. Looking for the right to possibly train as my service dog. We settled on a Goldie, not first or second choice. They insisted that she would be the right choice. $4000.00. I told them I could not afford to pay high payments due to my income. They assured me that it would be very low payments. We agreed to $67 per month and that I could add more if able.

Took her home and the phone calls started. "We forgot to have you pay this..." And the calls kept coming. Every time I would try to make a payment on their site it would say I hadn't been paying and need to call. So, every month I have to call and argue about my payment amount. They want me to pay over $400 a month. I make less than $800 a month. Now they are threatening to sue... Go ahead. I own nothing!!! I still make my agreed amount of payment, and that's all they can have. Now, Karma is a lovely dog But they gave me the option to return her in 30 days. On the 28th day of arguing with all the calls for more money. They tell me I only had 24 hours to return her.

Do do yourself a favor and never and I mean never buy from them. BTW, she has issues with some sort of genetic psoriasis. I can't remember the name. And it leaves her smelling worse than a wet dog. She has medicine and weekly baths to help. She is supposed to be long hair, but it's not. It's slowly coming back after she lost about 80% of her hair. This will never end!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

When my wife and I bought our puppy from Petland, they said we could get a credit card with just 4-5% interest. It was such a good rate, according to the store associate, that some people "get a credit card and make payments even though they have the cash to pay for the puppy upfront." However, when I got my first bill, the interest was 29%. I have called Petland several times, but there has never been a manager available. They keep telling me they will give a message and the manager will call me back. But then nothing happens. As a last resort, I'm trying to get heard here. For a $3400 purchase, I expected much better customer service, and of course, honesty about the payment arrangements. If you are looking to buy a puppy, don't go here.

After leaving this post on their Facebook page and on Google maps a "customer service rep" from Petland finally called me. They were not based in the Joplin store (had never been there) and simply told me they could do nothing because I had signed papers. I agree, I did sign papers, based on a clear oral explanation from the Petland associate who sold me the puppy. My wife heard his explanation as well. One of the worst parts is that I still have not been able to talk to a manager at the Joplin store despite promises that he/she would call me. I guess the moral is Petland will tell you absolutely anything to make a sell (the associate also told me he thought the shots were included...they weren't, but that's a different story). Read everything! (I admit that was my fault) Last and most important, DON'T GO TO PETLAND! Find a breeder, buy for half the price, save yourself time, money, and a headache.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Tonight I was at Petland in Pembroke Pines FL looking at what was supposed to be a purebred American Eskimo puppy, which clearly was not, and we too had a terrible experience. Multiple animals were in kennels covered in their own feces, and there was a tiny kennel with 2 husky pups and another similar in size that were all crammed into one small kennel together where they could barely stand up. While we were holding and playing with the American Eskimo, she got very thirsty and when we got her some water, the worker said it was her first time drinking out of a water bowl which sounds concerning considering she was 9 weeks old. After finishing her water and drinking her bowl clean she was searching for more water so we asked for her to have a little more and were told no.

We spent several hours here because we were doing our research on the company and were torn between the love we quickly developed for the sweet puppy and how ridiculous their prices were, knowing the money we would spend on her ($4000) would be reinvested back into their company supporting their puppy mills which everyone knows they use. As we sat holding the puppy deciding what to do, the store hit their closing time so we were the last customers inside. We could hear a worker in the back screaming and cursing at one of the puppies following by the puppy screeching and crying for help. This was the last call that made our mind to not purchase from the company because would be supporting their terrible business. We left heartbroken because we fell in love with the Eskimo pup, but we couldn’t give them our money so they could turn around and use it to buy more puppies which will also be neglected.

The employees are very pushy and lacking of patience. I felt like I was at a car dealership. They also have a fine print in their terms about what is actually under "warranty". Ask to see it for yourself. Also ask to see the animal's certificate and breeder information. You will learn that most of their puppies are from Iowa. If you pay even more attention you'll learn that the breeder doesn't actually exist, instead it's a Petland "breeder" aka puppy mill. Another observation is that all of the puppies smell the same. It seems that they use some sort of fragrance in attempts to mask the uncleanliness of the neglected animals.

Please do not go to this store, it is a true heartbreak factory. When I said goodbye to the Eskimo puppy she cried as I handed her back to the employee. It's incredible how on Google reviews they have a 4.7 out of 5 Star overall review but have straight 1/5 here. I encourage everyone here to spread the truth about this company. Most of the puppies they are selling are sick and so many are passing away once placed in homes. This has to stop.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Bought a puppy from Petland in Racine Wisconsin. Brought puppy home and they INSISTED before leaving puppy could be returned in 48 hours. In less than 48 hours we determined puppy was not a fit for us. Called them up to return dog & was told I had signed paperwork that waived the 48 hour return & puppy also could not be returned because it was financed thru their Petland finance. My wife became so upset over us being stuck with this bill and a puppy we could not return that she almost overdosed.

After the 5th day, puppy was taken to vet & found out he only had one testicle. Called & told them about this and was able to return dog to them (at their Round Lake Ill. Petland). I did not want to give the dog to a shelter & felt it proper to return. Although now we are stuck with over a $2500.00 bill for a puppy we had for 7 days, owner Adam (owns both Racine & Round Lake Petlands). was not sympathetic towards our plight and would not do a refund. I have no recourse but to find an attorney now to help us out. WARNING TO ALL: By using Petland's financing, be careful. A puppy listed at $2400.00 will cost you at least 3914.00 over 3 years at minimum suggested payment, and at minimum required payment, $6156.00 and take 11 years to pay off. READ all the paperwork carefully (wish I did). They DO NOT allow a 48-hour return on any puppy you finance thru them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Bought a Yorkie puppy after my granddaughter wanted her own puppy. Paid thousands for the puppy and have had him for just over 12 days now. We have already spent nearly $700 in vet bills and will be taking him back again in the am. He could possibly have a genetic issue that is common with this breed that can lead to death without surgery. This is horrible and haven’t been able to get a response for the first warranty claim two days after we brought him home. Don’t get a dog from here. Just don’t.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Almost all puppies were underweight; could see all their ribs! Some puppies had eye discharges: eye running with some discharges matted to their fur. Most birds had unhealthy feathers indicating disease. I have a Master's degree in Animal Science with 3 years experience working as a veterinary technician, so I know what I'm talking about. I was going to apply for a job until I met the store manager, Heather. She was so rude to me, I called back and canceled my interview. She was also rude to her employees. I would not recommend buying a pet there nor working there.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Purchased a lab puppy last month, 6 days after purchase, she was dead. Petland (Waterford Lakes/Orlando East) and their warranty company refuse to honor their warranty claiming the puppy was not seen by their vet --- because she was in the animal hospital in grave condition. We asked the warranty company to authorize an additional night of ICU care while they "reviewed the medical records" while the puppy was suffering with "megaesophagus" and several instances of aspiration pneumonia. They refused and assured us that they would take care of everything, the dog was euthanized and 2 weeks later they only offer a 2100 credit. When we spend 3000 on vet care.

What makes this whole situation even worse is that they knew this dog was sick! We asked to see a different dog, and they brought us this one, that got sick three times while we were playing with her -- we were told "she's excited" (which we have since learned is the phrase to deliver whenever an animal appears ill before you buy it) and they have us a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle to clean up the mess. When we saw that we weren't looking at the puppy we asked to see, the sales staff went to the back room and returned to tell us the price was reduced from $4100 to $3000. We again asked to see the other dog and suddenly the price dropped again to $2100.

We foolishly thought that the warranty would cover anything that came up and we were denied everything we asked for --- we asked to return the puppy as soon as we knew how sick she was, that was denied. We repeatedly asked for guidance and assistance as her condition deteriorated over a span of a few days, and we were told "your case is being reviewed". We provided the "not fit for sale" letter from her internal medicine specialist as well as documented evidence of her condition. The store/warranty company denied full coverage because the dog was not evacuated at their vet, again, because she was admitted to an animal hospital for difficult breathing and aspiration pneumonia due to her megaesophagus condition.

Word of warning, don't be fooled into thinking that the warranty will cover you in the event the worst happens. The store ownership calls the shots on the level of compliance with the warranty, the warranty company just delivers the "news". Also don't be fooled into believing that these animals are from local breeders, not puppy mills --- again, shame on us for not researching, but our puppy's breeder is listed as a puppy mill provider in Missouri -- hardly local to Orlando, Florida!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I was just at the Petland in Florence, Kentucky. I wanted to get some information on a Papillon puppy that has been at the store for some time. Upon walking in the store seemed busy and finally a sales clerk came up and I asked him the price of the dog and he said he didn't know. I then said "can you go find out?" And then he told me that I needed to look at the puppy in the little booth and there is a process, blah blah blah. I told him I don't want to go through all that, I just want to know the price. He started stammering around and then he said they range from 2 thousand to 10 thousand dollars, and that one was around 4. I said, "4 thousand dollars?" And then I just walked out. That place is a joke. If you are looking for a dog, go to a breeder.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I bought a Husky for $3,500 and I had to pay for a $300 worth of junk. I bought the puppy on July 2017 at Petland Henderson, NV. More than a year later husky was diagnosed with an epilepsy. It's so disheartening seeing my dog having a seizure. What a trash breeder and a trash store. It was my first time buying a dog here in the United States, apparently, it was too late until I knew about puppy mill thing. Lesson learned, do your research, do not let my mistakes be pass on to you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Husband and I decided to go into a Petland in Florence, KY. Haven't been in one for about 20 years, so forgot about how they are and what they deal in. We to the dog section because we have been thinking about getting a French bulldog and just wanted to see what they had there. My husband seen the most precious fawn colored male Frenchie and just wanted him then and there. We seen that the puppy was still being kept in the area that holds them till a vet can look them over, so we weren't allowed to touch him. We asked a sales associate if it would be possible to put a hold on him until after his vet check, oh no! They wanted to sell him right away and pressed hard for us to buy him and take him home that day instead of waiting.

Weird and a little unsettling, but we went along with it. So they went into the back and got a huge binder. Telling us what's included with him and showing all his paperwork, even a paper from the USDA showing proof that he came from a reputable breeder. Then she said he was ACA registered and ACA is associated with AKC, that's when I raised an eyebrow because I know that's a lie. I also know that puppy mills use the ACA registration, because they wouldn't be able to probably get an AKC one. Anyway, I let her keep talking because at that point I just wanted out of there.

She finally said the price, it was $8,200! While my husband and I could easily afford that, why would we want to? The puppy was supposedly 4th generation. I could get a 4th gen Frenchie in our area from anywhere between $1,500 to $2,000 that is actually AKC registered. Plus, the puppy was neutered for that $8,200 price! Sales associate was really trying to push us hard and even offered financing. We didn't need financing, but I'm not paying $8,200 for a puppy mill dog.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I got a puppy from the Waterford Lakes store in Orlando. From day one she was sick. My vet even wrote a letter saying she wasn't fit for sale. They said we could return her. We were already attached. Working with them is a nightmare and I am talking to my lawyer about all that has happened. We got another puppy via private and there is such a health difference. Petland is full of puppy mill dogs. Do your research!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I bought a dog for $2,100. They said that stuff came with my dog plus I bought stuff for him. The next day, I returned the dog and the dog stuff. They said that I needed to pay them a $318 restocking fee and up to half of the cost of the dog. I saw on Credit Karma a few days later that they were charging me over $3,000. They kept the papers that I signed and the receipt. They gave me the runaround when I tried to ask questions but they said that the stuff that came “free” with the dog was an optional, $800 puppy package and that I wasn’t paying for a dog and dog stuff that I didn’t have - I was paying for “store credit”. They can sell the same dog and the same stuff to someone else and get paid twice. I don’t want to pay $4,000 for a dog and dog stuff that I don’t have.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought puppy Sept. 2017. My puppy was fine. He was housebroken within a month. I'm very pleased with him and love him so much, the only thing about Petland was they added expenses for various products they sell. He was fussy about eating so they sold me a product to increase his appetite and he did fine. By one year he was eating all the time without any type of appetite products. Health wise no problems, I also had another dog from there back in the late 80's and that dog was fine. Only had kennel cough of which they paid for the medication. So both times I was satisfied with my dogs.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Petland Robinson, 1530 Park Manor Blvd, Pittsburgh PA - June 9: My family bought a puppy!!! June 11: After taking puppy to our vet & being advised puppy is “very sick” with beginning stages of pneumonia that will require IV antibiotics & around the clock care, Petland advises us to bring puppy back to Petland for their “free” medical/vet care (& advise they will NOT reimburse us if we leave puppy at our vet for treatment). Trusting Petland, we return puppy to store for medical care. We share our vet’s prognosis & her recommended medical plan to get puppy well.

June 14: 3 days AFTER returning puppy to Petland, Petland's vet examines puppy for FIRST time. Puppy is on oral antibiotic, daily antibiotic injection & daily breathing treatments. We note to staff, on our almost daily visits, that puppy’s condition is worsening (gagging, wheezing, coughing, lethargy, no appetite). June 21: We have continued to express our concerns, at almost daily visits, that puppy not doing better & is doing worse. Puppy is rapidly losing weight. Vet techs insist he’s eating well & playing with them in backroom. We insist on chest X-rays; we’re told vet isn’t “overly concerned” but agrees to do them.

On June 22, a Petland vet tech takes puppy to their vet’s Plum clinic for X-rays. Vet notes presence of “little” pneumonia on X-ray, changes puppy to different oral antibiotic & sends him BACK TO PETLAND. We continue to see puppy almost daily & continue to express our concerns about his worsening condition. We’re told “these things take time” & puppy is enjoying going outside with vet techs & is eating his food. June 28: Petland vet sees puppy for third time, is “very concerned” with puppy’s lack of progress & immediately takes him back to his Plum clinic for more aggressive treatment - to include oxygen & IV antibiotic (which our vet recommended 17 DAYS EARLIER). June 29 - the next day, Petland calls to inform us puppy DIED.

It is our opinion that Bill **, owner of Petland in Robinson, sells grossly overpriced puppies he purchases from puppy mills. (We were never provided with breeder’s address as mandated by Pennsylvania state law which is highly suspect.) Petland’s “free” medical care isn’t free at all; those costs are built into price of puppy. Our purchase price was between 2 - 2.5 times average price for breed.

Bill ** contracts with vet whose practice is 30 miles from Petland. The vet examines sick puppies at Petland on Thursdays. Once a week. The day after puppy died, when I called Plum vet tech & demanded to know why they did not keep puppy at the clinic a week earlier - when they saw pneumonia - & start more aggressive & effective treatment then, I was told that decision was made by Petland.

I spoke to vet’s office manager three days after puppy died. She informed me Petland never told them puppy had an owner & they believed he was a puppy for sale in store. She said we would have been included in conversations about puppy’s medical treatment had they known puppy had owner. I was told vet was very unhappy that he was never informed puppy had been sold to someone & told Bill ** this “never should have happened”. I’m sure Bill ** did not disclose puppy had owner because he knew we would have insisted on more aggressive (& likely more expensive) medical treatment which would lower his profit.

This puppy died as direct result of neglect on part of Petland owner Bill **. This poor puppy suffered needlessly for almost three weeks because Bill ** did not want to “dip too far” into his profits from the sale. Bill ** should have done humane thing & provide puppy with medical treatment he needed to survive, treatment that our vet recommended. Instead, Bill ** authorized the bare minimum medical treatment, strung the family along with false hope & promises & made this poor puppy suffer until he eventually could no longer breathe. Stay out of Petland & find a reputable breeder!

Original review: July 20, 2018

We arrived home with our new puppy and come to find out she is missing a toe. I was NOT told she had a missing toe before purchase. I was cheated by Petland because their website boasts that their puppies are healthy, and see vets etc but obviously not if she had a missing toe. After calling Solution, the company that manages Petland warranty, and following their instructions on obtaining a confirmation letter from the vet I was told there is no additional steps Petland needs to take because the puppy is healthy.

I cannot breed her because individuals think she is inbred, or has some type of disability. I just wanted to breed her once to pay off the $4000 plus fee to purchase her. The puppy's other toenails on that same foot look very different than the other paws. Which could possibly mean there is something wrong with her paw/toe/nail. Petland Davie manager has yet to call me back after I have left several messages.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Wanted to buy a puppy but found all the puppies in a very poorly situation at the Plantation store and customer service is horrible. I decided to visit the other stores in Davie and Kendall where my experience was even worst. First off at the Kendall store they tried to sell me a puppy that I was not even interested in. It almost seem they were low in sales or something. All these 3 stores are managing by people that don’t care about animals but themselves and how many sales they can bring to the table, and I got it it’s a business but your puppies are in very bad conditions, and your customer service is bad because your employees seem to be under a lot of pressure by sales! Get your managers straight and your company culture should change to animal care more so than straight sales. Never again will come back. And to all the people that is looking for a puppy do yourself a favor and go somewhere else, do your research.

Original review: June 20, 2018

We lost our Chiweenie and had always rescued dogs, but came across a Chiweenie puppy at Topeka, Kansas Petland. She was adorable and funny and we decided to take her home. The sales pitch is ridiculous. The employee races through this gigantic binder full of so called “benefits” of buying with them. Then, after basically saying you get the dog and all this extra stuff at no additional charge, your head is kind of spinning and you’ve lost track of what was promised and what is even necessary to have. In the end, we have about 15 things we don’t need that we actually paid for (kennel, we had one; sprays, peanut butter roller ball, stuffed animals, etc...). $2000 for a mix breed puppy? Force you to buy $300 in junk!

We were also charged $99 for some warranty that we didn’t agree to purchase. They are sure to stress that a coughing dog is nothing to worry about and that kennel cough is a fake thing and that it’s not covered in any warranty!!! Well, we get the dog home and guess what? She’s coughing all over the place! We’ve got her on medication, but she’s still coughing. Now, we are taking our other dog to the vet tomorrow because she’s sick now.

I love the puppy we got, but wished we hadn’t supported this type of criminal activity. They are scammers and they don’t care about the animals or about the people buying them. They basically trick you into paying for tons of extra things by acting like you have no choice and I’m sure they pay nothing for these animals and then sell them for thousands! You cannot return the animal if you change your mind or if the animal doesn’t work for you. Do not buy from here! If you do, pay with a credit card so you can go back and fight the charge if you have issues. We are contacting our credit card company if they don’t allow us to return all the things we are not using that they forced us to buy.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I contacted Petland by the internet. They then contacted me by text. They made me a appointment to see a Maltese dog. I never asked for the appointment. I asked the price, and they refused to give me the price. They said they would call me with the price. They never called me. This business is very dishonest! They have something to hide. I hear they get their dogs at puppy mills. I don’t recommend you do business with this dishonest store.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I was told by a worker that the new owner only gets dogs from reputable breeders. I went home with my puppy and saw his breeder was Phil **. I google his name and puppy mills are the only thing that come up. Day 4, my puppy has a cough and wasn’t feeling well. He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He was put on antibiotics and got worse. Day 10: He is diagnosed with PNEUMONIA, double ear infection and giardiasis. They wanted him to stay in a pet hospital which would cost up to $3,000. I went home with a $200 vet bill and nurses him back to health. I made a claim with Pet Solutions that day. It has been 6 days and I have not heard a thing. Pneumonia isn’t covered under their warranty (how convenient). I got a sick Boston Terrier for $4,000. Will tell everyone I know not to go here.

Petland Company Information