1.38/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

607 Petland Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

Went to Kennesaw GA to the Petland. Fell in love with this adorable Teacup Yorkshire Terrier. The price was average $5700. I applied for credit in the store and received a instant approval of $7000. We took our puppy home within the hour and bought pet insurance and registered him with AKC. We love our baby boy. He is now 14 weeks.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My husband and I bought Golden Labrador in PetLand. The person Adriana who is consulting and help there, helped us a lot. Was very sincere and nice. It's a clean and good quality place, from our sign. Yes, it was very expensive for us, but, they give financial plan and benefits. We love our new baby and hope everything will be good! :-)

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Bought puppy Sept. 2017. My puppy was fine. He was housebroken within a month. I'm very pleased with him and love him so much, the only thing about Petland was they added expenses for various products they sell. He was fussy about eating so they sold me a product to increase his appetite and he did fine. By one year he was eating all the time without any type of appetite products. Health wise no problems, I also had another dog from there back in the late 80's and that dog was fine. Only had kennel cough of which they paid for the medication. So both times I was satisfied with my dogs.

Original review: June 18, 2019

On the evening on June 15th I arrive at Petland in Pembroke Pines around 5:45 pm with my two kids who are 6 and 7 years of age. After being in the store for several hours, I decided to sign the paperwork to apply for a Petland credit card and purchase a puppy. After being approved, I signed over all of the documentation to purchase the puppy, however I did not go home with the puppy the same night. After leaving the store around 8:30 pm, my kids and I left to head to another store and I realize when we left my son face broke out in hives which was a result from the puppy licking him in the face. I immediately called Petland but did not get an answer. That may be due to the store closing around the time I called.

On Sunday around 1:30 pm I arrived at Petland explaining the situation to Olivier and Stephanie (Store Manager) about my son’s allergies and the reason why I could not take the dog home. I was told because I signed papers I would be unable to return the dog and I will responsible for paying $2500 (half of the cost) for a dog per their return policy. Due to I was not returning a dog because the dog never left the store and was never in my position I should not be responsible especially since my son is allergic to the dog. There is no way I would risk my son’s health and take a dog home knowing he is not allergic to the dogs’ saliva.

After speaking with Stephanie (Store Manager) she advise me to call Solutions, a warranty company that can help with my situation. After speaking with Solutions, they told me it was nothing they could do. The rep was very rude and after learning the rep was called by the store prior to me calling I know the store manager Stephanie told advise the rep what to say in order for me not getting a refund for a dog that never left the store. At that time I ask to speak with a manager from Solutions and the rep advised that her manager could not speak with me and would return a call in 48 hours which I know is after the return policy time frame. I knew at that time the Petland store and Solutions were working together so the reverse charges could not be made to the Petland credit card.

I also asked for the managers name and the rep told me that she does not know the manager's name and it could not be given to me. With my past history of working in a call center, everyone knows their manager name and it should always be given in the event there is a problem that needs to be resolved. I am extremely frustration with Petland. I understand their policy for returns; however I did not make a return. The puppy never left the store and was never in my position therefore a reverse should be made. I cannot believe Petland would make such a policy to get over their customers in this manner.

Original review: June 16, 2019

My wife and I along with our son stopped in today to see the puppies. It was by far one of the most saddest experiences of my life. We went in excited and left guilty. Because if it were up to us we would rescue them all. And not just to give them good homes and be a loving family. But because those poor puppies are not being kept well by any means. We saw a puppy puking not once but twice and not one staff member noticed nor could we get the attention to tell. He ended up laying in it cause their cages don't have much give. After he licked it up because they don't have food on hand. I'm sure they are starving. Next we saw 2 what looked like lab puppies, not too sure cause once again the staff was not at all anywhere around.

Yes there were people on the floor but were too busy talking in a group amongst themselves. Anyway the little grey puppy instantly ate the other puppy's droppings as it came out of his bum. Not even giving it time to hit the ground. I apologize for the description but this was real life. These poor animals are being unfairly kept in little cages even 2 to 3 per each cage. With no open water bowls but rolling balled water bottles. These are puppies not a mouse, ferret or bunny. With no option to food. Yes they may have feeding times but as an animal mom and as they tell us before we buy. They are a handful and are very expensive. If you as a animal store can't handle your retail. With your discounts and can't properly take care of these poor babies. Which is livestock!!! With emotions and feelings you need to shut it down. I'm am sick at what I saw today as should any employee that works for you with a heart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: June 6, 2019

My family and I purchased a chocolate Labrador Retriever from Petland Orlando East on June 3rd, 2019. We paid a total of $3248.25 for the puppy package and supplies. We were also given a health certificate that the puppy was healthy and had been checked by a vet that visits the store. The first night with the puppy, she was awake coughing most of the night. She vomited twice and was extremely lethargic since we brought her home. I called the vet in the morning that we were told to go to since the visits to this particular vet were covered for one year with the puppy. I was told to bring her in right away. When we arrived, the vet took x-rays and said the puppy had severe pneumonia. She also had an injury to her spine. The vet was not sure what would have caused two of her vertebrae to be so close together. We were sent home with an antibiotic and nebulizer. The $70 nebulizer cost was not covered by Petland.

The next morning, the puppy was still very lethargic. We decided we were not going to be able to continue to care and pay for a puppy that was ill. I contacted Petland and was told to call Solutions which deals with their warranties. I was told I could return the puppy and pay a 75% administrative fee or get a new puppy. Very sadly, we decided to just return the puppy before the 48 hour mark. When I arrived at the store to return the puppy, Solutions had never contacted the store to let them know of my decision. After a twenty minute wait, a woman tells me I will be refunded a total of $425.01. I asked many times how she came to these numbers. I was told I would only be refunded 25% of price of the puppy, which was $2100. So I expected $825 to be returned to me. But this was not correct.

She said I needed to pay for the used merchandise for the puppy. We had only used some of the toys, the leash, harness and two days worth of food. This did not add up $400. She said the only way to dispute this was to call Solutions again which I had already spoken to three times. The only way to get a full refund was to have a vet say the puppy was deemed unfit sale. Interestingly enough, the same vet we were told to go to is the same vet that issues the health certificates at Petland. There is no way the same vet that said the puppy was fine would ever go back and say now they are unfit. I signed the paper to receive a total of $425.01 back. My family and I lost a total of $2823.24 for a puppy that was sick which broke our hearts and my children’s. Please do not purchase a pet from this place. They are running a scam selling sick animals and will not return your money. They will simply offer you another animal that is sick.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I can't believe they are ripping off so many people. Petland Frisco did me the same. I purchased a Morkie, four days later she was sick, almost dead. I rushed her to the emergency room where they nursed her back enough for me to take her home. Five days later she was gone. $4100 for nine days with my Zoey. With all the complaints, I can't believe they are getting away with this. I'm still traumatize by this. I will never get over this.

Original review: June 3, 2019

We bought a Huskimo for over $4000 in Largo FL, which in turn is actually over 10k as we were lied to about the credit. We were told she will be over 35 pounds. She is 15 pounds and will only get to about 20 at this point, very very small. She is the sweetest most lovable girl but the staff were extremely disrespectful so we brushed it off since she was healthy (we purchased her pretty much the second she arrived so they didn't have time to neglect the dog).

A few months later, I noticed a Shiba Inu on the website had been there for about 4 months already. I wrote a complaint about being lied to about the Huskimo and mentioned the Shiba Inu "Smokey". Instead of responding or taking ANY RESPONSIBILITY, they immediately changed his name on the site from "Smokey" to "Cinnamon" (because we're stupid right?). This concerned me quite a bit because to me it seems like they're covering something up, and regardless of how much I hate buying another dog from these disgusting people, my fiancee and I went in to see him after discussing it because we believed he wasn't taken care of and we could give him a good life.

Fun fact - he wasn't taken care of. He is extremely tiny and skinny in person, dehydrated, malnourished, darker no-shine coat, and they left him in a play pin by himself with no water for an entire day. We ended up taking him to give him a better life as no dog should be in this condition, while basically being just as rude back to the staff as they were to us (they treated us like ** the entire time for asking about the puppy and why he seemed sick and consistently repeated "they come from 5% breeders, I've been around a lot of Shibas, they don't look like this) and got them to mark him down by about 3k (lower than a standard Shiba breeder). After just a few days out of there he is eating, being lovely and playing. He will get a lot of TLC even if that means medical bills for the rest of our life (AND DO NOT USE PETLAND VETS).

Lesson: These people stay in business because we feel bad for the dogs. I can promise you I will never ever buy even reputable sealed-bag dog food from this place. Don't ever buy a puppy from here, don't check it out, don't go into the store. Stick to Shelters and reputable breeders if you want a puppy. These people at Petland are horrendous creatures who are only interested in profit.

Original review: May 28, 2019

First, their financing is predatory. We financed our dog and got basically the best possible deal and paid it off immediately. For many other people with average credit scores and low bank accounts, they will only qualify for what could be described as pure usury. They hold you hostage with your dog. The price you pay is roughly fair when you consider what you get - a dog, neuter/spay, first vet visit, medications, food, toys, and a bunch of store credits. When the math comes out to it you may only slightly overpay for a dog - though the upfront cost is typically 2x what you should've paid.

Most importantly, it would appear the Petlands in Las Vegas do not care about their dogs. We had bought a dog (I will omit breed, etc) from the Petland in Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV. What initially was a happy experienced turned potentially bad very quickly. Our dog came home with a handful of sicknesses that generally affect dogs who aren't taken care of well in their crates. Many gastrointestinal and stress related issues. After numerous vet visits and hundreds of dollars we nursed our dog back to health and they are now as happy as ever. Unfortunately, there is some lasting damage -

It is very clear their attending staff abused the puppies. Our puppy is very afraid of a lot of different things including crating, baths, dryings, walks, etc. Over the last year we've been working with them and they are getting better. To me this is a clear indication of signs of abuse. My best guess is they chain the dogs in a tub and hose them because they have to get through so many dogs so quickly. I can't confirm the puppies come from mills. Our breeding paperwork was in order and the breeder was licensed. This seems to be franchise dependent. To people wanting to buy a dog here - you are RESCUING a puppy. I am unconvinced this company cares about their animals.

Original review: May 24, 2019

1st off we are told the Neopolitan Mastiff female is full blood and just need some extra attention and care. I should have knew I was being took. We accepted her and at 4 months she has cherry eye. We had to argue to get it fix then was told to spray her she is "DEFECTIVE"! Then we explained that we plan on breeding her. Was told her puppies will be also. Not to mention she wouldn't gain any weight. We have a Male age 2 same breed at 170lbs. He was 110 at 1 years old. She is 11 months now and 67lbs and look like a bloodhound mix with neopolitan mastiff.

We went thru customer service they provided which was a third party. Fast forward was told we was at the top of ladder and nothing they can do. We love our dog of course but paying around 4k for a mix dog sucks. We offer to pay for DNA test was told it wasn't enough proof. Their own vets told us she was mixed with something. The third party said best thing was go after the breeder. Which they say was AKC approved. We talked to lawyers and was shocked that the fight of the case will not be worth it in comparison to the fees. So dont go there Batavia Petland in Illinois. Sad thing we brought our 1st dog from Perland Chicago Ridge and received the exact opposite. Convinced that all their dogs are from mills or basements now. Dont waste your HARD earn money. SCAMMERS!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

My grandson and I went to the Robinson Township Petland on Sunday April 28 th 2019 to buy a hamster. While there we noticed a lovely puppy and asked about the price to 3 different store associates that were standing around doing nothing. They all said they dont have the price and would have to ask. One lady walked away and said she would find out but went instead to help others that came in. I stood around for 10 mins trying to get a price out of the other 2 ladies but they just refused. Finally I gave up and left, I guess I looked like a couldnt afford one of their dogs. Needless to say I will never be going back to their store for anything ever. I have never seen such discrimination.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I wish I had read all the reviews, news stories, and class action lawsuit articles about Petland in Robinson prior to going to this store. The staff is unbelievably rude, unprofessional, and immoral. I purchased a dog for an outrageous price. The following day I realized the dog was unsafe around my children as it continuously tried to bite them and myself. I called right away to tell them the dog must come back and I would like refunded. I was hung up on, given attitude, and specifically told “You can bring the dog back but you’re not getting a refund”.

I filed complaints with Pet Solutions and two government agencies. I also contacted the police as 5 days have passed and my complaint/request has not been addressed. I keep getting the runaround. The lender which whom the store set up financing with said they would gladly cancel the financing if the store would call and authorize it. Out of greed the store will not. I can’t bring the dog back as pet solutions said it will be viewed as surrendering the dog which no refund can be given. My kids are terrified. I’m so upset this has been the worst experience ever!!!

Original review: April 14, 2019

My husband and I were interested in checking the 2 postings for miniature schnauzer I saw on the Knoxville, TN site. I emailed a request for information and received a call later that night. The lady on the other end began by telling me ALL the extras they supplied and I finally had to pull out of her the cost. She said that all their pups started at $800 and up -- I almost dropped over when she quoted over $4000 for the schnauzer. I quickly ended that call. How ridiculous!

Original review: March 28, 2019

To all that think of the cute overpriced puppy in the store of Petland and you want to save them, the hard and hope others don’t pay the high price Milo had and the price cost him is life in 3. 5 years. The story of Milo began June 2015. The intent started out on a Friday 2015. My spouse and I went to the Milwaukee humane society to try and adopt a lab that was there to only sadly get turned away as someone was already in front of us to take that dog home. With disappointment my spouse said, "Let’s go to a Petland Racine," I wasn’t keen on that idea as well. I felt and certainty that they sold dogs from puppy mills. But either way we still went and what caught my eye was the most beautiful white dog with these adorable markings on his ears and beautiful blue eyes.

The Clerk asked if we wanted to play with him, we couldn’t resist this handsome boy. We became interested and then we asked the price. The price was $3500, sadly as much as a wanted him that price was too much and we left the nameless pup there. Went home empty that night. Thru the course of the week I called consistently to see if we knock that price down and they wouldn’t budge, but for someone odd as it was meant to happen this beautiful boy we seemed drawn to and needed to have. A week passed and we went back and paid the overpriced and for sold on there their lies and deceit of how he came from a reputable breeder.

We took Milo as we named him at 10 weeks old to join our family and as he was sold to us as they said in good health, simply this wasn’t the case, Milo was sent home with 2 medications. On was a cough suppressant and another was an antibiotic. Being a first time owner and lack of judgment and being so naive to the lies that were sold you thought that what they and the owner told you that it was legit and they didn’t use bad breeders. From the day Milo came to us his life would be cut short and the first year of his life before his first birthday Milo, suffered with pneumonia, démodex mange, seizure, countless emergency rooms visits, oxygen chamber visits for oxygen. Spent June 2015-2016 on medication daily.

Finally late 2016 we took Milo to Madison to see what was the wrong with Milo and why Milo suffered from respiratory distress. His primary vet and vets before that visit to Madison all thought he had scar tissue damage from when he was young from the severe pneumonia he had. Well seems it was uncovered by a laryngeal exam that Milo was born with congenital laryngeal paralysis that was bilateral and his intake of air was like the size of straw opening.

Sadly that disease was not typical in a Siberian husky. This was more an older dog thing that could happen, Milo was 1 in a million to this occur. Sadly this disease would and could one day suffocate him to death. We after learning what was the fate changed our lives with Milo to let Milo have a good life of what he could filled with so much love and what he could handle, he was babied, fed at height level, to make eating and drinking easier. Milo was bought a dog stroller to go on walks he enjoyed that he couldn’t handle. Milo knew his own limits when he needed to rest to catch his breath. The year of 2018 we saw more difficulties with him getting out of breath more easily than the years prior.

Well many were amazed Milo lived as long as he did, we really hoped he would have lived more years. In winter of March 2019 we decided to see if we could improve and give Milo more help to breathe and better some quality of his life even if it meant a few more years, Milo deserved the best that could be. We took him to Madison to get what they call a laryngeal tie back surgery to permanently open one of the paralyzed folds. The prognosis was high. He would be good and all would be successful and it would give Milo back what he so deserved and should have had. An exam was performed 2-28 by the specialists and surgery took place 3/1. Surgery went better than expected, however this is how the story ended.

Shortly 5 after surgery Milo went downhill and suffered a cardiac arrest 2 times and God took and called Milo home. Life support was used and CPR was performed, but our precious Milo was called to the rainbow bridge and God's world. So for those that think Petland and the lies and deceit are worth it we ask you. Is the price that our boy endured worth the endless heartache that you will feel forever. So ask this. How much is that doggy in the store? Can you put a price on the loss of a pet you love like your own child and the selfless love. Milo paid the ultimate price because of some selfish Amish couple from Oswego Kansas name John **. All for the cost to breed and not care of the harm it will cost a family and shame on the Petlands that lie and deceive consumers.

We uncovered the lies and true heritage of Milo and where he came from and how he came to us, I never saw the parents of him and sure the dreadful conditions his mother lived in or father, I am sure to bet they aren’t alive either. Many would think we deserved this. See he was from a store, key note I got my money back for Milo after I fought and found the lies that they sold us when we got him months later. Again how much can you put a price on something so special you love as a child. We wouldn’t change doing it over again with Milo, Milo was meant to be found.

Milo had a big purpose and that was to educate the public and make others aware where those animals come from and open our eyes to the horrible tragic outcome that can occur all for profit and lies, open our eyes to the pain the their parents Endure with no love and freedom never have a loving home, bed, good vet care, a warm hand. The parents breed and then can have medical issues or disease passed to their puppies and can eventually lead to the sadness we got that Milo's genetic line gave him which ultimately gave him a short end. If you choose to not adopt find a reputable breeder in your state and make sure to see the parents.

Read and educate your self if you want a purebred dog, check the place out, go to a shelter or foster, save a life and make a dog happy and stop the hurt of the parents and the greedy pet store owners and bad puppy mill breeders that don't care because it’s all about profit. Milo had a story and a purpose and that is why he was chosen to be found by us to educate others and shut these pet stores of Petland down and countless others. Milo condition has helped the Madison school with his condition and will help other dogs with this progressive disease maybe have a chance. In loving memory of Milo. 4-6-2015 to 3/1/2019. Share his story and help educate others so they don’t ensure the heartbreak.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Petland is the biggest scam of all scams I have seen in my life. We purchased a Chihuahua on a Saturday night telling the clerk we may not be able to to finance the puppy because of a bankruptcy we had. He said not to worry, just return the puppy if there is a problem. Rushing through the paperwork, we left the store. So hopeful we would be able to keep this beautiful baby, we took him home to meet the family.

In Monday morning, we found out we could not keep him. We were heartbroken. I cried so hard the entire eat to the store. I couldn't even go in. My husband took the puppy back to the same guy who sold him to us. Now we are getting bills for $3000 for a dog we don't have. When we call Petland, they called me a puppy abandoner. We have called several times and still they start the conversation by calling us names. I wouldn't buy a chew toy from this company, let alone a living animal. When I told the solutions manager that they sold the dog to another family and essentially got $6000 for the dog the guy said, "Yes, yes probably." Unbelievable! Beware!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I took my daughter to the store in Davie, FL last week to look at a boxer. As we entered the store one of the associates was apparently starting his shift because he had just been dropped off and walked in right behind us. We stood at the kennel windows for several minutes before I had to flag someone down for help. The same kid came over. We asked him to show us the boxer that was sharing a kennel with 2 other dogs. After a few minutes I asked him if he knew where the dogs came from. OMG...he proceeded to tell me that they only buy from the top 5% of breeders around the country and that this particular boxer was purchased from a multi million dollar home where they never walk outdoors and have heated floors for the dogs to walk and sleep on. That was enough for me to simply give the dog back and leave...I’m not that gullible.

So today, just to see what happens, I went back. The boxer was sold but I asked to see the Rottweiler pup they had. Juan brought him out and placed him in the play area for us to check it out. He said the pup costs $5400 (yeah ok!). When I asked him for details of where the dog came from he brought me a copy of the health certificate and documentation of where it was breed. IOWA! Home of the puppy mills. He also gave me the “top 5% BS story”. I asked him about the certificate showing that the dog was checked for hip dysplasia but he had no idea what I was talking about. Clearly he didn’t know what hip dysplasia was. After I explained it to him, I asked him to tell me about how the company would resolve or honor their warranty if the pup developed severe dysplasia. All he could tell me was that if the dog died within the 1st year due to genetic conditions they would replace the dog.

After much wasted back and forth with no clear answer, he told me that if I were serious about the dog, he said...”Between you and I, I’ll throw in the crate, toys, some food and bowl at no charge (valued at $400)”. BS!!! As I walked around the store, there’s an area in the back with a display of the same items he said he’d give me for free on the hush with a big sign "FREE with dog purchase". WTF!

For $5400 they better guarantee me that the dog craps gold nuggets and pee’s Champagne. They better also guarantee a champion bloodline from a real breeder. But more importantly, stop lying to make a sale. They prey on the public who hasn’t taken the time to better educate themselves on how or where to buy a quality pup. Most people have no clue how Petland is the largest retail seller of pups who come from puppy mills where they live in deplorable conditions and where adult dogs are like machines that simply manufacture litters. The ONLY reason we went there was to see if my daughter would have an allergic reaction to the dogs. I will never buy from them nor do I recommend anyone buy there either. You can buy a high quality pup from a reputable breeder for about half the price (or less), even if you have to drive out of state or just a few mins or hours away from home. Very sad.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Petland has sold me a sick Yorkie. It was the worst experience. My first pet and she is and has been sick since the manager played the cough off at first and now my dog has been on 4 different meds and she’s still not home with me. I have some anxiety issues now with when she’s ready to come home will she survive. Someone please help.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My wife went to Petland 744 E Boughton Rd Bolingbrook, IL 60440 United States to buy a Siberian husky. She fell in love with one. Petland made us buy all the starter kit that includes a cage, but the same cage we had to buy from them was the reason she died. Siberian husky’s are natural escape dogs. They will find a way to escape, she push through the divider and got stuck halfway and died. Petland said that was not the right cage for the dog. But they made me buy the cage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I purchased a puppy from Petland of Rockford and have never regretted a decision more in my life. The puppy itself was not the problem, but the company and the employees are. We had been talking of getting another dog for a long time and wanted our current dog to have a friend. Our dog has never had any problems with other dogs in the past. We decided to go look and fell in love with a puppy. We ended up taking the puppy home the same day and very quickly realized our dog was not very friendly with this puppy. When I say not friendly I mean teeth showing, frothing at the mouth, and lunging for this puppy. It was stressing out the puppy and our dog. So we decided that it was best to return the puppy and this is when the problems began.

When we were filling out paperwork, we were told by an employee that there is a 48 hour return policy. They said that you could either get another puppy or kitten or have in store credit. So that to me means another animal or anything in the store. However they tell me later that no, it's only towards another animal. That is simply not an option for us and I'm sure other people as well. So they expect us to pay the whole loan amount for absolutely no goods in return! So trying to take care of the situation I talked to Solutions, which is their third party customer service, and they were not helpful.

So we called the finance company itself and unfortunately they had no control, but said that Petland has 100% ability to void the contract or work something out with us. However, even after calling probably over 50 times total in the span of a week, leaving messages, and asking to speak with a manager, I still haven't been able to speak to a manager. I also asked to be connected to the owner of the store, but was told that wasn't an option. The owner clearly doesn't pay attention to anything going on involving the store. All this company cares about is getting money and nothing else. They don't care about their customers or the animals. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and will talk anyone out of shopping here!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My background is, I am a disabled woman with multiple mental issues. I do have a caregiver. She was with me (witness). I went into Petland after phone conversation. Looking for the right to possibly train as my service dog. We settled on a Goldie, not first or second choice. They insisted that she would be the right choice. $4000.00. I told them I could not afford to pay high payments due to my income. They assured me that it would be very low payments. We agreed to $67 per month and that I could add more if able.

Took her home and the phone calls started. "We forgot to have you pay this..." And the calls kept coming. Every time I would try to make a payment on their site it would say I hadn't been paying and need to call. So, every month I have to call and argue about my payment amount. They want me to pay over $400 a month. I make less than $800 a month. Now they are threatening to sue... Go ahead. I own nothing!!! I still make my agreed amount of payment, and that's all they can have. Now, Karma is a lovely dog But they gave me the option to return her in 30 days. On the 28th day of arguing with all the calls for more money. They tell me I only had 24 hours to return her.

Do do yourself a favor and never and I mean never buy from them. BTW, she has issues with some sort of genetic psoriasis. I can't remember the name. And it leaves her smelling worse than a wet dog. She has medicine and weekly baths to help. She is supposed to be long hair, but it's not. It's slowly coming back after she lost about 80% of her hair. This will never end!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

When my wife and I bought our puppy from Petland, they said we could get a credit card with just 4-5% interest. It was such a good rate, according to the store associate, that some people "get a credit card and make payments even though they have the cash to pay for the puppy upfront." However, when I got my first bill, the interest was 29%. I have called Petland several times, but there has never been a manager available. They keep telling me they will give a message and the manager will call me back. But then nothing happens. As a last resort, I'm trying to get heard here. For a $3400 purchase, I expected much better customer service, and of course, honesty about the payment arrangements. If you are looking to buy a puppy, don't go here.

After leaving this post on their Facebook page and on Google maps a "customer service rep" from Petland finally called me. They were not based in the Joplin store (had never been there) and simply told me they could do nothing because I had signed papers. I agree, I did sign papers, based on a clear oral explanation from the Petland associate who sold me the puppy. My wife heard his explanation as well. One of the worst parts is that I still have not been able to talk to a manager at the Joplin store despite promises that he/she would call me. I guess the moral is Petland will tell you absolutely anything to make a sell (the associate also told me he thought the shots were included...they weren't, but that's a different story). Read everything! (I admit that was my fault) Last and most important, DON'T GO TO PETLAND! Find a breeder, buy for half the price, save yourself time, money, and a headache.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Tonight I was at Petland in Pembroke Pines FL looking at what was supposed to be a purebred American Eskimo puppy, which clearly was not, and we too had a terrible experience. Multiple animals were in kennels covered in their own feces, and there was a tiny kennel with 2 husky pups and another similar in size that were all crammed into one small kennel together where they could barely stand up. While we were holding and playing with the American Eskimo, she got very thirsty and when we got her some water, the worker said it was her first time drinking out of a water bowl which sounds concerning considering she was 9 weeks old. After finishing her water and drinking her bowl clean she was searching for more water so we asked for her to have a little more and were told no.

We spent several hours here because we were doing our research on the company and were torn between the love we quickly developed for the sweet puppy and how ridiculous their prices were, knowing the money we would spend on her ($4000) would be reinvested back into their company supporting their puppy mills which everyone knows they use. As we sat holding the puppy deciding what to do, the store hit their closing time so we were the last customers inside. We could hear a worker in the back screaming and cursing at one of the puppies following by the puppy screeching and crying for help. This was the last call that made our mind to not purchase from the company because would be supporting their terrible business. We left heartbroken because we fell in love with the Eskimo pup, but we couldn’t give them our money so they could turn around and use it to buy more puppies which will also be neglected.

The employees are very pushy and lacking of patience. I felt like I was at a car dealership. They also have a fine print in their terms about what is actually under "warranty". Ask to see it for yourself. Also ask to see the animal's certificate and breeder information. You will learn that most of their puppies are from Iowa. If you pay even more attention you'll learn that the breeder doesn't actually exist, instead it's a Petland "breeder" aka puppy mill. Another observation is that all of the puppies smell the same. It seems that they use some sort of fragrance in attempts to mask the uncleanliness of the neglected animals.

Please do not go to this store, it is a true heartbreak factory. When I said goodbye to the Eskimo puppy she cried as I handed her back to the employee. It's incredible how on Google reviews they have a 4.7 out of 5 Star overall review but have straight 1/5 here. I encourage everyone here to spread the truth about this company. Most of the puppies they are selling are sick and so many are passing away once placed in homes. This has to stop.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Bought a puppy from Petland in Racine Wisconsin. Brought puppy home and they INSISTED before leaving puppy could be returned in 48 hours. In less than 48 hours we determined puppy was not a fit for us. Called them up to return dog & was told I had signed paperwork that waived the 48 hour return & puppy also could not be returned because it was financed thru their Petland finance. My wife became so upset over us being stuck with this bill and a puppy we could not return that she almost overdosed.

After the 5th day, puppy was taken to vet & found out he only had one testicle. Called & told them about this and was able to return dog to them (at their Round Lake Ill. Petland). I did not want to give the dog to a shelter & felt it proper to return. Although now we are stuck with over a $2500.00 bill for a puppy we had for 7 days, owner Adam (owns both Racine & Round Lake Petlands). was not sympathetic towards our plight and would not do a refund. I have no recourse but to find an attorney now to help us out. WARNING TO ALL: By using Petland's financing, be careful. A puppy listed at $2400.00 will cost you at least 3914.00 over 3 years at minimum suggested payment, and at minimum required payment, $6156.00 and take 11 years to pay off. READ all the paperwork carefully (wish I did). They DO NOT allow a 48-hour return on any puppy you finance thru them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Bought a Yorkie puppy after my granddaughter wanted her own puppy. Paid thousands for the puppy and have had him for just over 12 days now. We have already spent nearly $700 in vet bills and will be taking him back again in the am. He could possibly have a genetic issue that is common with this breed that can lead to death without surgery. This is horrible and haven’t been able to get a response for the first warranty claim two days after we brought him home. Don’t get a dog from here. Just don’t.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Almost all puppies were underweight; could see all their ribs! Some puppies had eye discharges: eye running with some discharges matted to their fur. Most birds had unhealthy feathers indicating disease. I have a Master's degree in Animal Science with 3 years experience working as a veterinary technician, so I know what I'm talking about. I was going to apply for a job until I met the store manager, Heather. She was so rude to me, I called back and canceled my interview. She was also rude to her employees. I would not recommend buying a pet there nor working there.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Purchased a lab puppy last month, 6 days after purchase, she was dead. Petland (Waterford Lakes/Orlando East) and their warranty company refuse to honor their warranty claiming the puppy was not seen by their vet --- because she was in the animal hospital in grave condition. We asked the warranty company to authorize an additional night of ICU care while they "reviewed the medical records" while the puppy was suffering with "megaesophagus" and several instances of aspiration pneumonia. They refused and assured us that they would take care of everything, the dog was euthanized and 2 weeks later they only offer a 2100 credit. When we spend 3000 on vet care.

What makes this whole situation even worse is that they knew this dog was sick! We asked to see a different dog, and they brought us this one, that got sick three times while we were playing with her -- we were told "she's excited" (which we have since learned is the phrase to deliver whenever an animal appears ill before you buy it) and they have us a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle to clean up the mess. When we saw that we weren't looking at the puppy we asked to see, the sales staff went to the back room and returned to tell us the price was reduced from $4100 to $3000. We again asked to see the other dog and suddenly the price dropped again to $2100.

We foolishly thought that the warranty would cover anything that came up and we were denied everything we asked for --- we asked to return the puppy as soon as we knew how sick she was, that was denied. We repeatedly asked for guidance and assistance as her condition deteriorated over a span of a few days, and we were told "your case is being reviewed". We provided the "not fit for sale" letter from her internal medicine specialist as well as documented evidence of her condition. The store/warranty company denied full coverage because the dog was not evacuated at their vet, again, because she was admitted to an animal hospital for difficult breathing and aspiration pneumonia due to her megaesophagus condition.

Word of warning, don't be fooled into thinking that the warranty will cover you in the event the worst happens. The store ownership calls the shots on the level of compliance with the warranty, the warranty company just delivers the "news". Also don't be fooled into believing that these animals are from local breeders, not puppy mills --- again, shame on us for not researching, but our puppy's breeder is listed as a puppy mill provider in Missouri -- hardly local to Orlando, Florida!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I was just at the Petland in Florence, Kentucky. I wanted to get some information on a Papillon puppy that has been at the store for some time. Upon walking in the store seemed busy and finally a sales clerk came up and I asked him the price of the dog and he said he didn't know. I then said "can you go find out?" And then he told me that I needed to look at the puppy in the little booth and there is a process, blah blah blah. I told him I don't want to go through all that, I just want to know the price. He started stammering around and then he said they range from 2 thousand to 10 thousand dollars, and that one was around 4. I said, "4 thousand dollars?" And then I just walked out. That place is a joke. If you are looking for a dog, go to a breeder.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I bought a Husky for $3,500 and I had to pay for a $300 worth of junk. I bought the puppy on July 2017 at Petland Henderson, NV. More than a year later husky was diagnosed with an epilepsy. It's so disheartening seeing my dog having a seizure. What a trash breeder and a trash store. It was my first time buying a dog here in the United States, apparently, it was too late until I knew about puppy mill thing. Lesson learned, do your research, do not let my mistakes be pass on to you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Husband and I decided to go into a Petland in Florence, KY. Haven't been in one for about 20 years, so forgot about how they are and what they deal in. We to the dog section because we have been thinking about getting a French bulldog and just wanted to see what they had there. My husband seen the most precious fawn colored male Frenchie and just wanted him then and there. We seen that the puppy was still being kept in the area that holds them till a vet can look them over, so we weren't allowed to touch him. We asked a sales associate if it would be possible to put a hold on him until after his vet check, oh no! They wanted to sell him right away and pressed hard for us to buy him and take him home that day instead of waiting.

Weird and a little unsettling, but we went along with it. So they went into the back and got a huge binder. Telling us what's included with him and showing all his paperwork, even a paper from the USDA showing proof that he came from a reputable breeder. Then she said he was ACA registered and ACA is associated with AKC, that's when I raised an eyebrow because I know that's a lie. I also know that puppy mills use the ACA registration, because they wouldn't be able to probably get an AKC one. Anyway, I let her keep talking because at that point I just wanted out of there.

She finally said the price, it was $8,200! While my husband and I could easily afford that, why would we want to? The puppy was supposedly 4th generation. I could get a 4th gen Frenchie in our area from anywhere between $1,500 to $2,000 that is actually AKC registered. Plus, the puppy was neutered for that $8,200 price! Sales associate was really trying to push us hard and even offered financing. We didn't need financing, but I'm not paying $8,200 for a puppy mill dog.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I got a puppy from the Waterford Lakes store in Orlando. From day one she was sick. My vet even wrote a letter saying she wasn't fit for sale. They said we could return her. We were already attached. Working with them is a nightmare and I am talking to my lawyer about all that has happened. We got another puppy via private and there is such a health difference. Petland is full of puppy mill dogs. Do your research!

Petland Company Information