1.23/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

607 Petland Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

On the evening on June 15th I arrive at Petland in Pembroke Pines around 5:45 pm with my two kids who are 6 and 7 years of age. After being in the store for several hours, I decided to sign the paperwork to apply for a Petland credit card and purchase a puppy. After being approved, I signed over all of the documentation to purchase the puppy, however I did not go home with the puppy the same night. After leaving the store around 8:30 pm, my kids and I left to head to another store and I realize when we left my son face broke out in hives which was a result from the puppy licking him in the face. I immediately called Petland but did not get an answer. That may be due to the store closing around the time I called.

On Sunday around 1:30 pm I arrived at Petland explaining the situation to Olivier and Stephanie (Store Manager) about my son’s allergies and the reason why I could not take the dog home. I was told because I signed papers I would be unable to return the dog and I will responsible for paying $2500 (half of the cost) for a dog per their return policy. Due to I was not returning a dog because the dog never left the store and was never in my position I should not be responsible especially since my son is allergic to the dog. There is no way I would risk my son’s health and take a dog home knowing he is not allergic to the dogs’ saliva.

After speaking with Stephanie (Store Manager) she advise me to call Solutions, a warranty company that can help with my situation. After speaking with Solutions, they told me it was nothing they could do. The rep was very rude and after learning the rep was called by the store prior to me calling I know the store manager Stephanie told advise the rep what to say in order for me not getting a refund for a dog that never left the store. At that time I ask to speak with a manager from Solutions and the rep advised that her manager could not speak with me and would return a call in 48 hours which I know is after the return policy time frame. I knew at that time the Petland store and Solutions were working together so the reverse charges could not be made to the Petland credit card.

I also asked for the managers name and the rep told me that she does not know the manager's name and it could not be given to me. With my past history of working in a call center, everyone knows their manager name and it should always be given in the event there is a problem that needs to be resolved. I am extremely frustration with Petland. I understand their policy for returns; however I did not make a return. The puppy never left the store and was never in my position therefore a reverse should be made. I cannot believe Petland would make such a policy to get over their customers in this manner.

Original review: June 16, 2019

My wife and I along with our son stopped in today to see the puppies. It was by far one of the most saddest experiences of my life. We went in excited and left guilty. Because if it were up to us we would rescue them all. And not just to give them good homes and be a loving family. But because those poor puppies are not being kept well by any means. We saw a puppy puking not once but twice and not one staff member noticed nor could we get the attention to tell. He ended up laying in it cause their cages don't have much give. After he licked it up because they don't have food on hand. I'm sure they are starving. Next we saw 2 what looked like lab puppies, not too sure cause once again the staff was not at all anywhere around.

Yes there were people on the floor but were too busy talking in a group amongst themselves. Anyway the little grey puppy instantly ate the other puppy's droppings as it came out of his bum. Not even giving it time to hit the ground. I apologize for the description but this was real life. These poor animals are being unfairly kept in little cages even 2 to 3 per each cage. With no open water bowls but rolling balled water bottles. These are puppies not a mouse, ferret or bunny. With no option to food. Yes they may have feeding times but as an animal mom and as they tell us before we buy. They are a handful and are very expensive. If you as a animal store can't handle your retail. With your discounts and can't properly take care of these poor babies. Which is livestock!!! With emotions and feelings you need to shut it down. I'm am sick at what I saw today as should any employee that works for you with a heart.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Went to Kennesaw GA to the Petland. Fell in love with this adorable Teacup Yorkshire Terrier. The price was average $5700. I applied for credit in the store and received a instant approval of $7000. We took our puppy home within the hour and bought pet insurance and registered him with AKC. We love our baby boy. He is now 14 weeks.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My family and I purchased a chocolate Labrador Retriever from Petland Orlando East on June 3rd, 2019. We paid a total of $3248.25 for the puppy package and supplies. We were also given a health certificate that the puppy was healthy and had been checked by a vet that visits the store. The first night with the puppy, she was awake coughing most of the night. She vomited twice and was extremely lethargic since we brought her home. I called the vet in the morning that we were told to go to since the visits to this particular vet were covered for one year with the puppy. I was told to bring her in right away. When we arrived, the vet took x-rays and said the puppy had severe pneumonia. She also had an injury to her spine. The vet was not sure what would have caused two of her vertebrae to be so close together. We were sent home with an antibiotic and nebulizer. The $70 nebulizer cost was not covered by Petland.

The next morning, the puppy was still very lethargic. We decided we were not going to be able to continue to care and pay for a puppy that was ill. I contacted Petland and was told to call Solutions which deals with their warranties. I was told I could return the puppy and pay a 75% administrative fee or get a new puppy. Very sadly, we decided to just return the puppy before the 48 hour mark. When I arrived at the store to return the puppy, Solutions had never contacted the store to let them know of my decision. After a twenty minute wait, a woman tells me I will be refunded a total of $425.01. I asked many times how she came to these numbers. I was told I would only be refunded 25% of price of the puppy, which was $2100. So I expected $825 to be returned to me. But this was not correct.

She said I needed to pay for the used merchandise for the puppy. We had only used some of the toys, the leash, harness and two days worth of food. This did not add up $400. She said the only way to dispute this was to call Solutions again which I had already spoken to three times. The only way to get a full refund was to have a vet say the puppy was deemed unfit sale. Interestingly enough, the same vet we were told to go to is the same vet that issues the health certificates at Petland. There is no way the same vet that said the puppy was fine would ever go back and say now they are unfit. I signed the paper to receive a total of $425.01 back. My family and I lost a total of $2823.24 for a puppy that was sick which broke our hearts and my children’s. Please do not purchase a pet from this place. They are running a scam selling sick animals and will not return your money. They will simply offer you another animal that is sick.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I can't believe they are ripping off so many people. Petland Frisco did me the same. I purchased a Morkie, four days later she was sick, almost dead. I rushed her to the emergency room where they nursed her back enough for me to take her home. Five days later she was gone. $4100 for nine days with my Zoey. With all the complaints, I can't believe they are getting away with this. I'm still traumatize by this. I will never get over this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: June 3, 2019

We bought a Huskimo for over $4000 in Largo FL, which in turn is actually over 10k as we were lied to about the credit. We were told she will be over 35 pounds. She is 15 pounds and will only get to about 20 at this point, very very small. She is the sweetest most lovable girl but the staff were extremely disrespectful so we brushed it off since she was healthy (we purchased her pretty much the second she arrived so they didn't have time to neglect the dog).

A few months later, I noticed a Shiba Inu on the website had been there for about 4 months already. I wrote a complaint about being lied to about the Huskimo and mentioned the Shiba Inu "Smokey". Instead of responding or taking ANY RESPONSIBILITY, they immediately changed his name on the site from "Smokey" to "Cinnamon" (because we're stupid right?). This concerned me quite a bit because to me it seems like they're covering something up, and regardless of how much I hate buying another dog from these disgusting people, my fiancee and I went in to see him after discussing it because we believed he wasn't taken care of and we could give him a good life.

Fun fact - he wasn't taken care of. He is extremely tiny and skinny in person, dehydrated, malnourished, darker no-shine coat, and they left him in a play pin by himself with no water for an entire day. We ended up taking him to give him a better life as no dog should be in this condition, while basically being just as rude back to the staff as they were to us (they treated us like ** the entire time for asking about the puppy and why he seemed sick and consistently repeated "they come from 5% breeders, I've been around a lot of Shibas, they don't look like this) and got them to mark him down by about 3k (lower than a standard Shiba breeder). After just a few days out of there he is eating, being lovely and playing. He will get a lot of TLC even if that means medical bills for the rest of our life (AND DO NOT USE PETLAND VETS).

Lesson: These people stay in business because we feel bad for the dogs. I can promise you I will never ever buy even reputable sealed-bag dog food from this place. Don't ever buy a puppy from here, don't check it out, don't go into the store. Stick to Shelters and reputable breeders if you want a puppy. These people at Petland are horrendous creatures who are only interested in profit.

Original review: May 28, 2019

First, their financing is predatory. We financed our dog and got basically the best possible deal and paid it off immediately. For many other people with average credit scores and low bank accounts, they will only qualify for what could be described as pure usury. They hold you hostage with your dog. The price you pay is roughly fair when you consider what you get - a dog, neuter/spay, first vet visit, medications, food, toys, and a bunch of store credits. When the math comes out to it you may only slightly overpay for a dog - though the upfront cost is typically 2x what you should've paid.

Most importantly, it would appear the Petlands in Las Vegas do not care about their dogs. We had bought a dog (I will omit breed, etc) from the Petland in Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV. What initially was a happy experienced turned potentially bad very quickly. Our dog came home with a handful of sicknesses that generally affect dogs who aren't taken care of well in their crates. Many gastrointestinal and stress related issues. After numerous vet visits and hundreds of dollars we nursed our dog back to health and they are now as happy as ever. Unfortunately, there is some lasting damage -

It is very clear their attending staff abused the puppies. Our puppy is very afraid of a lot of different things including crating, baths, dryings, walks, etc. Over the last year we've been working with them and they are getting better. To me this is a clear indication of signs of abuse. My best guess is they chain the dogs in a tub and hose them because they have to get through so many dogs so quickly. I can't confirm the puppies come from mills. Our breeding paperwork was in order and the breeder was licensed. This seems to be franchise dependent. To people wanting to buy a dog here - you are RESCUING a puppy. I am unconvinced this company cares about their animals.

Original review: May 24, 2019

1st off we are told the Neopolitan Mastiff female is full blood and just need some extra attention and care. I should have knew I was being took. We accepted her and at 4 months she has cherry eye. We had to argue to get it fix then was told to spray her she is "DEFECTIVE"! Then we explained that we plan on breeding her. Was told her puppies will be also. Not to mention she wouldn't gain any weight. We have a Male age 2 same breed at 170lbs. He was 110 at 1 years old. She is 11 months now and 67lbs and look like a bloodhound mix with neopolitan mastiff.

We went thru customer service they provided which was a third party. Fast forward was told we was at the top of ladder and nothing they can do. We love our dog of course but paying around 4k for a mix dog sucks. We offer to pay for DNA test was told it wasn't enough proof. Their own vets told us she was mixed with something. The third party said best thing was go after the breeder. Which they say was AKC approved. We talked to lawyers and was shocked that the fight of the case will not be worth it in comparison to the fees. So dont go there Batavia Petland in Illinois. Sad thing we brought our 1st dog from Perland Chicago Ridge and received the exact opposite. Convinced that all their dogs are from mills or basements now. Dont waste your HARD earn money. SCAMMERS!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

My grandson and I went to the Robinson Township Petland on Sunday April 28 th 2019 to buy a hamster. While there we noticed a lovely puppy and asked about the price to 3 different store associates that were standing around doing nothing. They all said they dont have the price and would have to ask. One lady walked away and said she would find out but went instead to help others that came in. I stood around for 10 mins trying to get a price out of the other 2 ladies but they just refused. Finally I gave up and left, I guess I looked like a couldnt afford one of their dogs. Needless to say I will never be going back to their store for anything ever. I have never seen such discrimination.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I wish I had read all the reviews, news stories, and class action lawsuit articles about Petland in Robinson prior to going to this store. The staff is unbelievably rude, unprofessional, and immoral. I purchased a dog for an outrageous price. The following day I realized the dog was unsafe around my children as it continuously tried to bite them and myself. I called right away to tell them the dog must come back and I would like refunded. I was hung up on, given attitude, and specifically told “You can bring the dog back but you’re not getting a refund”.

I filed complaints with Pet Solutions and two government agencies. I also contacted the police as 5 days have passed and my complaint/request has not been addressed. I keep getting the runaround. The lender which whom the store set up financing with said they would gladly cancel the financing if the store would call and authorize it. Out of greed the store will not. I can’t bring the dog back as pet solutions said it will be viewed as surrendering the dog which no refund can be given. My kids are terrified. I’m so upset this has been the worst experience ever!!!

Petland Company Information