2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.52/5

Petland Reviews

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Prices are a little high for most products. The biggest complaint is that I believe they use puppy mills for their dogs. Prices for puppies are outrageous. The selection of fish is excellent. The people who help with dog selection need more training in the handling of the puppies and puppies should not be kept in wire bottom cages.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

This store is great for finding that special gift for your doggo! I do enjoy visiting to find something unique when Wal-Mart won't cut it. The only problems I have with the store is the location that I go to, the customer service is a bit lacking. Employees seem to want to avoid you and let you figure things out yourself. But, this doesn't stop me from frequenting the store because they have a great selection of stuff!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

After 3 years of searching, ads and the internet, for the perfect puppy mate for my 8 yr old Pomchi, on advice from a friend I decided to look at a store. Why? Online breeders are sketchy liars that have no regulations, answer to no one, and have little proof or promise as to the health and welfare of the animal. I've often heard that puppy mills sell to pet stores and frankly, that is garbage propaganda set up by rescue organizations for their own promotion. I did research. I read reviews, and through personal experience I decided on a little female full blood, pedigree, Long hair Chihuahua. AKC registered too (most breeders don't bother and puppy mills won't spend the money on this.)

Petland, in Overland Park Kansas, allowed me to take my male in with me to pick her out, and they treated us with the greatest of care. Explained everything thoroughly. Answered every question I had and never tried to pressure me or rush me into a decision. The helper, Dean, Explained the process they go through to bring in the pets. Assured me that if she was to get sick, or suddenly die, she would be replaced. I looked at her records. They had weights, shots, temps, everything I could imagine needing. Though the price was a little steep, and I certainly could have knocked off a few hundred by dropping some of the perks, I chose not to.

I was able to get approved for a credit line I can afford to pay off in 2 years, and my home is more complete than it has been in years. I've been criticized for buying a "shop pet", being accused of supporting someone's puppy mill but In all of my research I have not found any possible truth in this statement. Petland really does care about their pets, and though sometimes they have too many puppies in a single cage, the puppies are the happiest and healthiest I've ever seen. I am totally, and gratefully happy with my decision, to buy from them.

NOW, for anyone considering a private breeder. I've done that too. Spent $350 on a yorkie, was lied to about his shot record, he caught or had parvo in less than 5 days and I spent another $1500 trying to save him. The breeder proceeded to move during his 3 day dying period in the hospital. I will always trust Petland over a private breeeder. I accepted the responsibility of what is required of me to fulfill my end of the health contract, and she has already been to the vet twice and deemed very healthy. She is smart, intuitive, and friendlier than any tiny toy dog I've ever seen. She loves all animals and people of every age.

Petland did very well to socialize her and keep her healthy. I've had my little Adrian for 3 1/2 weeks and Rocky loves her. I absolutely recommend Petland to anyone who is on the fence about where to go for a pet. They have a quick credit approval process, and though a puppy may cost you $2800, they give you 2 years to pay it off. It could not be simpler, or more secure when you need the promise of a completely healthy, happy puppy.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Most of these reviews are people complaining because THEY didn’t read their contracts properly, or they want to try and pin things on Petland. Just because your puppy has behavioral issues or health issues doesn’t mean it’s automatically Petland’s fault. Health concerns pop up all of the time at random, Petland cannot control that. Behavioral issues are something you need to work on and train consistently with your puppy to fix-they are not an issue that Petland has control over. And you’re a trash human being for adopting a dog and trying to get rid of it after a few days of behavioral issues, in which case you obviously don’t have the commitment to be getting pets anyway. Pets are family, you can’t just give them up when they become “too difficult” for you. As for the prices and refund policy, IT’S IN THE CONTRACT. READ WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING.

I adopted a Shiba Inu from Petland 2 years ago, and she is honestly better behaved than the male Shiba Inu I got a year ago from a breeder. The worst “health concern” she’s had so far has been an inverted vulva that they can fix with surgery and warned me may cause UTIs in the future, but so far we haven’t had it fixed and she does just fine.

The only reviews on here I agree with is that you should be able to take some things out of the adoption package if you don’t think you’ll be using it, but they are very upfront about what you’ll be getting and what the costs are. So even if they can’t remove certain things from the package, you know what you’re paying for and you knowingly agreed to pay for it. So calling corporate and trying to work the system after you’ve knowingly signed the contract isn’t going to work here, Karen.

Another thing I agree with is that the cages are too small and seeing the puppies in them makes me sad. They do need more room to roam and play, so I am always supportive of that. But implying the dogs are starved? Please. I worked at a doggy daycare where plenty of well-loved and well-fed dogs ate other dogs’ poop, and yes, one of them ate it straight from the dogs’ butts when she realized she would get scolded for it and was trying to eat it ASAP before we could get to her and stop it. My childhood dog growing up would eat his own poop sometimes-something that dogs are known to do out of instinct. Dogs are weird and sometimes gross like that, but it’s not a sign of malnutrition and it doesn’t mean that they’re not being taken care of.

All in all, my experience with Petland-as an owner who read their contract, took on the ownership of a dog responsibly, and didn’t try to swindle the system-was very good and I honestly don’t regret anything about my decision to shop with them, because now I have my beautiful Shiba Inu, Yuki-who gets compliments almost every time I walk her and who is my best friend and a good big sister to her little brother.

Please know what you’re getting into when you buy a dog, and then maybe that $2500 bill when you try to return your new friend from Petland will be a good lesson to you that you can’t just throw away a pet when things get hard. This whole review list (with a few exceptions I’m sure, though none that I’ve seen so far) just sounds like a lot of finger pointing and customers not being able to take responsibility for their own ignorance and laziness. Petland is fine, it’s the customers that suck.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Went to Kennesaw GA to the Petland. Fell in love with this adorable Teacup Yorkshire Terrier. The price was average $5700. I applied for credit in the store and received a instant approval of $7000. We took our puppy home within the hour and bought pet insurance and registered him with AKC. We love our baby boy. He is now 14 weeks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Unless you want to end up with a sick puppy and thousands of dollars in vet bills, do not shop at Petland. All of their puppies come from puppy mills. Good breeders would never sell to retail locations. Buy directly from small, certified breeders!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

The Petland in Medicine Hat is amazing. The owner is extremely kind and actually knows true facts about specifically reptiles which is really helpful when no one else is around the town to help when I'm need.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I love Petland and playing with the pets! They have a great selection of animals and accessories. The employees provide great customer service. The employees take care to make sure the animal areas are clean.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

The design of this Palace for pets, it's remarkable how they manage to hold the selection and quality of what they have, this is paradise for pets. Have been around for awhile looking at quality for my animal Kings and Queens but none there is until now… all of a sudden I found a real castle for my royalties.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Best pet store for aquatic needs. Great selection of healthy fish. Helpful staff and clean store. Much better than Petco in many ways. Only issue I’ve encountered is problems with getting appropriate discounts using promo codes online.

Not sure about Petland?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Stores for you.

Petland Company Information