3.3/5 (1336 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Petland

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Petland Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I got my hammy from here and I had to get it out of the glass case myself because the women working was too scared to get him out for me. Way too overpriced for hamster stuff so I got it at PetSmart and Walmart but they made me buy wet tail drops with my hammy and you’re not even supposed to give them those it’s bad for them. He was super red flaky skin, constantly grooming and itching himself. I felt so bad for him and I took him to the vet.

Petland would not help me at all with the costs, and all of their hamsters are kept in one small glass case, that’s open on the top… All of their hammy breeds. Mine is a golden and they AREN'T supposed to be kept together, let alone keeping all those hamsters in one case with ONE wheel and ONE food bowl, I’m so glad I have banana (my hammy) but this place is really awful and did not need to be reopened. They need shut back down. All of the animals conditions are horrible and none of them are cared for correctly. These are some pics of him when he was in his tiny quarantine cage healing.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

We purchased our GSD at Petland of Rockford IL a year ago. He was just diagnosed with severe chronic hip displasia, and neurolgical problems of the lower spine just before his first birthday. Petland would only pay $2800 of his $3500 expense toward the surgery and refused to cover the neutering cost, that was delayed till one year old due to him only having one testical drop, because he needed hip and neurological issues. They would only pay for one or the other. They said the lower cost was due to taking out the free stuff they included at the time of purchase.

The dog cost $3500 and you threw that free stuff at Petland, you're **. Don't buy a dog from Petland or any other puppy mill provider. They sold us a dog mated with its own family in order for these severe problems to exist. May you get what's coming to you in return someday PETLAND. Would convict them of animal abuse if I could. Thank God our dog has us to take care of him. Whether it's $3500 or $11,000 after expenses to fix him. Three choices were drugs and joint meds $3500 or more over his shortened remaining life, neck and ball removal $5000 and a limp for rest of shortened life, or complete hip replacement $11,000. No thanks to Petland with any kind of help. X-rays and vet visits for this are already at $1500, MRI is going to be $4500. Lies, all lies at time of purchase. Go to a reputable breeder if you want a good dog.

Get buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Purchased fish cashier. Informed me that there was a 11 day return policy. Sounded great. All the fish looked good, By day 10 I lost all but 9 of the 16 fish that I purchased. Called them and they told me that their return policy was 7 days And I would have to bring in all the dead fish to get new ones. And told me they could do nothing. I spent a $100 On fish. Never again from them. Online Sellers have a better policy. I'm going a 100% online. FYI all the fish I had was from that store..

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

We went into the store on 08/13/22 just right after my mom passed away in the hospital looking for a furry loving companion for me and my 2 daughters. I fell in loved w Lola, a little Pomsky. We signed all the papers but we did not take her home that night because she was having diarrhea and not eating. We wanted to make sure she was O.K and taken care that night. We went next morning 08/14/22 to take her home, they said she was fine, just stressed….Hell no!! On 08/15/22 took her to the Bay Glen Vet. Still smelly diarrhea and loss of appetite….Stool sample positive for Giardia, a parasite….We went back to the store to complain and they said we should had gone to the vet they are contracted to in order to file a claim. That vet is in Bellaire, 1 hour driving from my home. Also, the vet certificate they gave me was from 08/05/22.

We pay +8K for a sick puppy w/ lots of vet expenses. They are just sellers…FYI. Yesterday when we went there 09/02/22 I took a picture of the kennels where the puppies are and there was bloody stools…which they say is normal after fecal tests….So, be prepared…. Pic from Petland Webster last night.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

We bought our puppy from the Petland in Topeka KS in February 2022 for my birthday for $4543.30. She is an absolute doll and we love her! The issue is that Petland lied to us about the payment plan we signed up for. We had 4 different deferred interest options presented to us that we were approved for. We had one picked out that gave us a 18-months of deferred interest, but at the very last minute, the staff hyped us up about getting a Petland credit card instead. The Petland credit card is charging us an interest rate of 29.99% when the staff at Petland told us the interest would be deferred for 24 months on a promotional plan!! That is about $100 per month at this point! That means if we can only pay $100 a month, we will never get ahead on payments.

We have been paying this for 6 months, so we were willing to take that loss and requested to just have the remaining balance put on a new plan, with deferred interest. We have talked to the staff at Petland a few times and they finally gave us the number for Petland Team Solutions. Team Solutions could not do anything because they said the paperwork we signed would have stated the financial plan. The paperwork we signed stated that IF there was a deferred interest promotional plan, interest would not be charged for the period of that promotion. Since we were told we were signing up with a promotional plan, we assumed that applied to us. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE PETLAND CREDIT CARD. Better yet, go somewhere else where they have honest employees to find your new animal friend.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The treatment from this company was unbelievably unconscientious and wrong and it is hard to believe a company has made it this far without a morsel of compassion. A dog was seen at a store 200 miles away from the store that was attended. Made the mistake of signing up for credit and never saw or touched the dog other than over video on the phone. Realized that the decision was wrong because of extenuating circumstances soon after and before transfer of the dog to the store. NO turning back. They charged full price for the dog $7000.00 and continued to pursue the payment without any recourse or store credit. They kept the dog at the original store and sold the dog again for another 7K. Most unscrupulous deal ever been involved in,, BUYER BEWARE!!!! THEY ARE RIPOFF ARTISTS....

Original review: July 13, 2022

We bought a puppy from Petland Pembroke Pines FL on 06/30/2022 around 8pm. Her name is Penelope. Penelope was already symptomatic. When she was brought for us to see her, my wife notice that her butt was dirty from having diarrhea and a few minutes into the visit she pooped, and it was already a creamy brown diarrhea. We were told that she was brought in and was changed over from her mother's milk to puppy food and that was the reason she had diarrhea. She was lethargic. My son notice that when he touch her all the ribs could be felt.

On 07/02/2022 We brought Penelope to Your Pet's Vets due to the nonstop diarrhea. She was giving a few meds to treat Giardia including Pet Tinic Drops(Iron for anemia). On Sunday 07/03/2022 Penelope got worst so we brought her to Pet Emergency Center for an Emergency visit. The vet said that what they did was not right. He acknowledge and said on the medical report "As discussed the pre-patent period for Giardia is 3-10 days according to the Merck Veterinary manual, thus the patient most likely had giardia up unto and before the purchase, based on onset of clinical signs and diagnosis. This accounts also for her poor body contrition." When I asked Dr ** for the letter of unfit sale said he did not want to get into it.

On Monday around 4am she started a bloody diarrhea and no longer was eating and started vomiting, no longer holding anything down. Pet Emergency Center. Hospitalization 07/04/2022. Penelope had to start all oral meds and hydration. The vet mentioned that the Hospitalization saved her life. They had another puppy from Petland hospitalized with the same life threatening symptoms as Penelope.

On 7/05/2022 Penelope was picked up from Pet emergency center at 8 am later brought to Your pet's vets where she was again hospitalized. 7/05/2022 we went to Petland of Pembroke Pines, and we were told that there was nothing they could do and the manager JV ** refused to speak to me on the phone. On 7/9 we had to take her back and she now has a respiratory infection. On 7/9 I spoke to the manager JV ** and referred me to Pet Solutions. On 7/11/22 she was again hospitalized She still has diarrhea, bloody discharge, anemia, respiratory infection and is very lethargic.

As of today 07/13/2022 Penelope is still hospitalized and will stay overnight again at Your pet's Vets. Penelope still is positive for Giardia, still has Amemia, and a respiratory infection. I have all the medical records for all the visits. I want refund. This has been a nightmare. Petland is hiding behind Petcare solutions and no one from petland corporate is talking to me. I have provided all the evidence I have that I was sold a sick dog and the only thing they say is "You mentioned the vet stating unfit to be sold. We would need a letter from the vet stating that."

Original review: July 10, 2022

On Wednesday, July 6, 2022 I decided to purchase a puppy from Petland locate at 356 N University Dr, Pembroke Pines, FL 33024. The associate Mayra was very professional and patient. As she sold me Lucy (a pomapoo). We both noticed how well behaved and calm Lucy was being. The whole entire transaction took a healthy 30-40 mins and Lucy was very well behaved (for a little over three-month-old puppy.) Unfortunately, Lucy was only showing signs of an underlining sickness that would soon show its ugly head within the first 24 hours of her new home. Needless to say, Lucy’s appetite was little to none and then the vomiting started.

I made arrangements to visit their personal veterinarian on the same day I purchased her, but unfortunately, they do not accept walk-ins. The earliest available appointment was the following week. So, the next morning, on Thursday, July 7, 2022 I took her to Dr. ** (my current dog’s doctor) because his office does accept walk-ins. I explained to him the situation with her appetite and vomiting. He examined her and he did not understand why she was not accepting his a/d urgent care dog food. He told me to set an appointment with PetLand’s designated doctor for a follow up and told me to continue using their product.

Needless to say, her issue still continued and on Saturday, July 9, 2022 I returned to Dr. **'s office because she was still vomiting what looked like dog food. He stated try his brand of a/d this time around and make sure to follow up with Pet Land. I drove straight over to Pet Land and was approached by an associate by the name (I would later find out) Jackie **. I then asked to speak to her manager, and this is when things became interesting. When I spoke with JV (because she refused to give her government name) she was very unprofessional and showed no true skills of leadership. Her associate showed the same behavior.

I explained to JV how Lucy had been sick since I purchased her a couple of days prior, and her response was all sales are final. I then said to her, "Well you guys can keep her because she is sick." Her reply was “Oh so you’re going to abandon her so wait right there so I can call the cops!” She never tried to accommodate my situation. Seemed as though she wanted a reaction because As I was leaving, she tried to make a scene shouting "Oh so you're not going to wait for the cops?! You're going to take the dog with you and not leave her here for abandonment?" I ignored her as I proceeded out of the store because I’m a cancer survivor with chemo pill treatment in addition to monthly injections. I do not have the energy to argue.

The sad part is instead of trying to help me resolve the issue and acknowledge that maybe I was sold a sick pup, she was adamant and inconsiderate. I'm sure her attitude would've been completely different if she was the customer. She should not be a manager. She was very unsympathetic. It appears she was trying to stage a scene. As I spoke softer, she spoke louder eventually creating an unexpected scene. Which was embarrassing for me. I am a school teacher on summer break, and I've always taught my students to "Treat people the way you want to be treated." Regardless of their race or the clothes they are wearing or (you always remember that they are a human being 1st!).

Unfortunately, Lucy ended up in ER that same evening vomiting what seemed to be dark blood. The ER doctor ruled out parvo and could not find out what’s causing Lucy’s sickness. She was given antibiotics and other medicine which cost $404.00. At the point of sale, she cost $5,178.78. I believe Lucy should not have been sold. She is obviously a sick pup and Pet Land could care less. I have called within the first 24 hours of Lucy’s purchase informing them of her sickness in addition to when she went to ER. DO NOT PURCHASE ANY DOGS FROM PET LAND! I wish someone would’ve warned me. Well, Lucy’s behavior at the time of purchase was a warning but I just thought she was a well-behaved pup. Who knew!

Original review: April 25, 2022

Petland sold us a sick puppy. Our puppy was purchased on 4/9/22. We have made several trips to the preferred Vet, which Petland is well aware of. The puppy has intestinal parasites the first couple of days after purchase. He has also had issues with eating. Most days we can not get him anything. Petland lied about his weight and his health. Stating that he was a completely, healthy pup.

The Vet reached out to Petland to advise of these health issues. Petland is refusing to stand behind this purchase. I called to the store (Mall of GA location) and asked for the store manager on numerous occasions. Her name is Emily. She has not taken my calls (I've been placed on hold for over 45 mins) or has not returned any of my calls. Now that we have the puppy, we're being told that there's nothing they can do to. We were told this information by Lauren, who is in the Health Claims Department. Keep in my we've had issues since the initial purchase. Vet records will prove that. I will never purchase again from Petland and will be sure to advise everyone I can to stay away. Petland is a RIP OFF!!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

BUYER BEWARE: We purchased a dog from them and spent several thousand dollars. When we went to pay for the dog, we were charged an additional $149.99 for the microchip and $149.99 for their puppy for a lifetime program, which we were told by our salesperson that this program was included in the price of the dog. When I called their customer service number about it, I was also told it was included and was transferred to "someone that could help me". That person told me that it was mandatory and not included. Essentially, the price they charge for the dog is actually $300 more because of their mandatory addons. To top it off, we took the puppy to the vet 2 days after purchase and spent an additional $100+ because it had intestinal worms. Buyer beware if you're looking for a pup here.

Petland Company Information