2.97/5
  • 1 star
Based on 116 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

334 Natural Balance Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
No response received
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

After 2 days my dog developed severe diarrhea. This Dry Dog Food is the only thing new that Ichabod Crane has received. I'm very disappointed, I have now read more reviews and the same is happening to other puppies/dogs. Natural Balance why are you allowing this to continue? You know by now what's wrong with what you're selling to us. My dog and other people's dogs are NOT collateral damage!!

What do I advise... Check your plant for contamination, if found clean it up, fix the problem, admit it, apologize and do a recall. Stop buying your ingredients from other Countries. We, I, you, are responsible to make sure that our animals are healthy, feed well and happy. We will not stand by and allow this to happen because no matter how big of a company you Natural Balance are, We will make sure by voicing our experience with your brand that this stops here, that no other animal Mom/Dad will have to watch their fur babies experience severe diarrhea, loss of appetite, throwing up and then multiple vet visits. And unfortunately at times rare but it still happens their death because of your dog food!

Take heed Natural Balance. We have giving you opportunity after opportunity to make this right. You have hurt our babies. Our vet bills are costly. Our hearts are crying, and our patience have worn thin. We are mad as hell and you're not listening to us or our sick dogs. Next step will be a class action lawsuit! I will not let this go. You have hurt my fur baby, my Ichabod Crane, it rips my heart out each time I watch as my puppy/dog cries in pain because his stomach hurts, as he poops his guts out and yelps doing it, as he looks up at me for help.

It kills me because I am and you Natural Balance are at fault, I bought Your brand of dog food believing in your marketing your product, I fed your brand to him and now he's sick. That feeling of failure Natural Balance is on you. I'm a vicious mother when it comes to my little ones!! Fix your mess Natural Balance! I stand by my review and it has been verified. Ball's in your court Natural Balance. Do the right thing. Stop hurting our animals!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We have two dogs and three cats and all five of them thrive on Natural Balance food. They ate healthy, their teeth are looking good and digestion is normal. Natural Balance is a great food.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

After a few months my dog will go for a day or 2 and not eat it. Then will eat it once they're hungry. I even change the food in the bowl daily thinking maybe the food gets stale. This also happened with Blue Wolf so we switched to this brand and not sure I want to keep switching to figure out what they'll consistently eat.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We changed to Natural Balance after seeing the vet when one of our dogs got sick. She advised us that the food we were giving her was part of her problem and we needed to give our dogs a much healthier food to help prevent them from developing the same condition she had. Which for her was fatal. The vet is very pleased with our choice, Natural Balance L.I.D. Chicken and Sweet Potato. Our senior dogs love it and are all very healthy and our new puppy loves it as well. All ages eat the same food so no need to buy puppy food and senior as it is made for all ages. Plus, it's much easier on the pocket.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Natural Balance dry dog food is the perfect fit for my two furbabies. There are several formulas, all with great ingredients, that they eagerly dive into at each meal. I also use the chubs of soft food as a special treat with their kibble.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I tried different flavors but my yorkies did not seem to really like it. I had to doctor it up to get them to eat it. But they are eating Bil-Jac and liked it right off.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This a dog brand that I can trust. Good wholesome ingredients, no fillers. My dog eats less than a regular brand and she stays fuller longer. Great bang for my buck and is available in large chunks which is hard to find for large breed dogs.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I read dog food ingredients without fail as I believe that investing in higher quality food for my pets (just like for me) sets them up for better health and lower doc bills in the long run. Plus they deserve to enjoy their food too! My dog has enjoyed Natural Balance lamb since she was a puppy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

For me it is the best value I can find in a dog or cat food, and most of my pets have been very healthy, happy, and playful. I live in a high, dry climate, so I have been feeding Pure Balance Salmon and Pea for the omega 3's and the convenience of shopping at Walmart. I recommend it to customers whenever I am in a pet food department anywhere, when appropriate. I have had a lot of pets in my life, and worked in a small pet store for a while in the 90's. The owner taught me a lot about nutrition, and Pure Balance is my choice.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This is the best dog food I have ever bought... It has good ingredients and is healthy for my pets. I prefer this food over the more pricier ones.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

One of our 3 large dogs is a very picky eater, especially when it comes to his dry dog food. I worry about taste, but also about the quality of the food. I've researched my options and when it comes to taste and trusted ingredients, my picky eater enjoys Blue Buffalo and the Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Dog brand has many choices. I buy only small bites for my dog and I wish there were more choices there. I read the ingredient list and compare brands. This seems to compare to higher priced brands.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Ralphie [our 11 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever] LOVES the taste and I love the ingredients in the can of Lamb - they are all good ingredients and I don't have to worry.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The Natural Balance pet food is Grain free so my dogs love it, but expensive. Plus I can not always find it. It would be nice if it came in a 50 lb. Bag since I am feeding 2 large dogs.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

She loves this food! As soon as I put it in the bowl she ate it up! Just started using it. Switched from Purina when I went to buy it there were maggots on the bag!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My dog has food allergies. We have tried almost every brand of food on the market and it either does not help, it makes his problem worse or it is just too expensive for my budget. Natural Balance has been our happy medium for over a year. He likes it and is happy & much healthier with significantly less skin issues now.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have a cat with a fish allergy. He was doing great on this then his itch attacks started and kept getting worse. I started looking for another food to try and when comparing ingredients, found they added fish oil! I'm so disappointed in this company! They call it a limited ingredient diet, but it's not really. Now trying to find a fish free food that he likes as much as he did this one.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Worms in sealed roll of lamb and chicken dog food roll - Bought this product made by Natural Balance on the clearance rack of a major pet supplier and I will be returning the packaging. I fed my dog a small end piece before I unwrapped it. Afterwards I removed the wrapping to cut the food roll into portions and found a white worm crawling around in the food. This food seemed packaged well but now I don't know what garbage I just fed my dog. I will be returning the packaging to the supplier for a refund and will be very weary of this brand from now on.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

It's a great product with the company's high quality ingredients and commitment to keeping our pets safe with their product tests. Would like it to be lower priced but it's worth it knowing the company's high standards!

Original review: May 27, 2017

I have a Lab that has eaten your product ever since we picked him up at 5 weeks old. The breeder recommended your brand as a product we could buy in pet stores. He loves the food and (as another reviewer stated) he acts like it is almost a treat. Gunner makes regular vet visits and is lean, but is about 80 lbs. and 25 inches tall. He is only 18 months old now, but has tremendous energy and learns everything so quickly. Thank you.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I recently found this Dry Dog food at my local global pet foods. My 8+ year old female German Shepherd has skin/food allergies. The sales staff were very helpful in recommending Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. I was using a veterinarian brand which was helping but unfortunately the prices kept increasing. We put her on the Duck & Potato dry food for adults. She loved it. I even started using the kibble for a treat. Unfortunately the Ducks was out of stock 2 times after returning to purchase more. I was told the manufacturer was having issues supplying the Duck.

The representative for Natural Balance gave me a free 4.5lb bag of Bison Sweet Potato to mix in with her leftover dry Duck. She has had no issues switching over. She looks forward to meal time & I'm thrilled with their products. Thank you Natural Balance L.I.D. for making food available for sensitive skin/food allergies that don't break the bank and still allow pet owners to spoil their 4 legged family with peace of mind.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My cats love this stuff, it is the limited ingredient formula. I have 3 cats, all of them love and I've had no problems with it as far as reactions. The cats eat the "green pea & duck" flavor that has no fillers or additives. It keeps them lean and healthy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

The quality of good ingredients is why this is my favorite brand. The quality in its safety is outstanding. I never worry about recall contamination with Natural Balance. I highly recommend it to all pet owners. Your pets deserve the best!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

This dog food is probably one of the very best dog foods available out there today. Is it worth the price you have to pay? If you have the extra income to be able to afford it, yes it is then you wouldn't have to work as hard as I do to feed them as nutritionally, but much more economically. I buy a very good dog, but much cheaper and it doesn't have enough nutrients to meet my dogs' needs, so I meet that with dog safe fruit, vegetables, grains, and protein, which I buy separately and prepare myself and mix and freeze with the dry dog food that I buy. It usually takes me a two day weekend to cook, mix, measure, and individually divide into containers each meal for 3 weeks of feedings for 2 Great Danes, but it saves me hundreds of dollars.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I like the fact that there is sweet potato and venison. The venison is an animal that is unusual in dog food and there is less chance for allergies. There isn't any filler or bi-products. My dog really likes it and has eaten it for years.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

Natural Balance is my go to dog food because it's not full of chemicals, coloring, and things I don't think is healthy for a dog to consume. My dog loves it and it looks and smells like actual food. My only problem is that it's sometimes hard to find, but lately seems more stores stock it. Great product.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I have 2 cats, Abbi and Lea. Abbi was vomiting and retching a lot so I took her to the vet. After a number of tests, blood work, meds, and $1,000.00 later, I took the advice of a friend who worked for the Petsmart Banfield Hospital and called a woman who rescues animals. Lo and behold I was told to switch her to a grain free food. She recommended Natural Balance. Well I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when Abbi stopped the vomiting and retching. My other cat Lea never had a problem but she is also on Natural Balance. I will never go back to the other products on the market.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

Since the company has changed ownership, the formula has changed dramatically. The first ingredient now is sweet potato. It now causes all of my dogs to have serious digestive problems and bad body odor. I have been using this same products for 10 or 12 years and am sad to see that the product Dick Van Patten had worked so hard to formulate, has been downgraded to cheap junk that makes dogs sick. I knew this would happen one day, but wished it would not. I am a dog trainer and recommended it to all of my students and anyone I knew that had a dog that had allergies or food issues. Now I am having to move yet again. When you have a good product, why not leave it alone, especially when it sells. I was feeding up to 8 dogs at one point. Now I cannot even handle watching how upset their systems are using this food.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Let me start by saying I'm not a crazy vegan trying to push my diet on my pet. I got my Momo in 2002 as a 3-month old puppy who was dumped on the side of the road with her litter mates in farm country where there is no dog shelter. She was some sort of lab mix and my then boyfriend (now husband) and I loved and doted on her then as we do our own biological children now. We believe if you take on the responsibility of adopting an animal you do so for life and you have a responsibility to give them a quality of life. Around 6 months of age, Mo started obsessively licking her paws and belly until she was bald and raw and she constantly scratched herself. The vet confirmed she was free from fleas and any other parasites. I knew dogs that got heat rash and would lick but our dog was exclusively indoors except for leash walks. This is when the internet was really growing and I worked in IT so I started reaching out online.

It seemed her allergy had to be systemic and I became certain it was diet related. I began cycling through diets - raw meat, home cooked, you name it, but she still suffered. You read a lot today about dogs allergic to grains, but back then I stumbled on a few articles about dogs allergic to animal protein. That would explain why she hadn't improved on any of the homemade diets. I searched for a vegetarian formula dog food and the only one available at the time was this one from Natural Balance. Only problem it was a specialty food at the time and hard to find. The closest store that sold it was 100 miles away. Buying online and having it shipped was cost-prohibitive for a 60-pound lab mix. Thankfully, there was one pet store in my hometown (about 200 miles away) that sold it. Since we visited my parents regularly, we decided to try a bag the next time we visited. All of her symptoms cleared immediately.

Initially my vet thought I was absolutely bonkers, but year after year at Mo's annual checkup, he would look her over and comment on how great her coat looked and ask what I was feeding her. After a few years he stopped looking shocked when I reminded him that she was on the vegetarian food because of her allergies. We made stocking up on dog food a part of our visits to my parents. Around the time Mo was age 11 or 12, Petsmart started carrying Natural Balance and I couldn't have been any more ecstatic. Other companies started coming out with vegetarian formulas that seemed more palatable but they just don't seem to have the same high nutritional content.

We finally had to say goodbye to our Mo this past April after 14 years which is pretty amazing for a large dog. We truly believe that her food contributed to her overall health and longevity so our new puppy also eats Natural Balance (though we give her the slightly cheaper kind with animal proteins). Thank you for providing a quality food for our beloved family members.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

This food I have fed Charlie my 3 year old English Bulldog his whole life. I swear by it. This food has different flavors, grain-free and has not caused any skin allergies to him. When I first got Charlie he was very sick and when I went on the bully form I saw readers feeding this food to their dogs. I would not change anything about it. We just introduced a female Rotty to our family and she is on the same food as well. Thank You Natural Balance for your consistency to provide healthy food to our 4 legged children.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information

800-829-4493
www.naturalbalanceinc.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use