1.47/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

391 Natural Balance Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is the brand our breeder recommended. We like the limited ingredients and the dogs really love it. We are very conscientious to buy grain free, but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on the topic.

Original review: April 12, 2019

This food is Natural Balance Duck and Potato that I fed to my first dog. When I got this current dog I continued to use it. It is balanced with all of the necessary nutrients except for dietary fiber. It is somewhat low in fiber. So I also give her Blue Wilderness Salmon or Duck. This keeps my dog's elimination on a regular schedule.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 12 yr old Cocker this food for a long time. Have never had any issues with it. I purchase the 6 oz cans because I understand they are BHP free or not as bad as the 13 oz cans. Hershey loves this dog food! Thumbs up as far as we’re concerned.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I tried all types of can, pouch and plastic tub wet foods for my diva Midnight. She will only eat Natural Balance, grain-free wet food. I mean, the ONLY wet food she will eat. She loves it and has never had any adverse reactions. The bonus is that she loves every flavor of Delectable Delights.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have used Natural Balance duck and potato for my dogs over the last few years. It was recommended as a good limited ingredient dog food. Unfortunately the company that bought it seems to have changed the formula and my sensitive dogs are having a horrible time with it. They added a red coating to the kibble and most recently the color of the canned has changed, texture is different, and smell reeks of bad meat. I'm now searching for a new brand as natural balance refuses to admit they've changed things.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I'm not accusing Natural Balance of anything, I'm only wanting to bring light to an issue my dog has had since I've been feeding her Natural Balance canned dog food. I've been feeding my dog Natural Balance canned dog food for a couple of years now, I learned about the brand while working in holistic pet stores. I also feed my cats natural balance canned and dry cat food. My dog has been diagnosed with bladder stones, cats seem fine, but am already switching the food to make sure they all stay healthy. My cats and dog are my life, I will go without, if that means they are taken care of. Totally going off subject, but anyways, I just wanted to bring light of the bladder stones just to see if anyone else has ran into this problem and bring it to the attention of Natural Balance.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Our first dog (Aussiedoodle) has been on this food since he was a puppy with the breeder. For 6 months he ate this food with no problem, Petsmart recently advised that NB was coming out with a new formula and since the release of the new formula our poor doggo REFUSES to eat and he LOVES eating. The last couple of days he eventually ends up eating some of it and throws it up a few hours later. We are switching his food today. Goodbye NB. I hope you figure out your formula soon.

Original review: July 13, 2019

NB Sweet Potato & Fish Kibble. I have been feeding my 2 Jack Russell pups this food for the last 5 years, but I noticed a change in the food quality. Last year I noticed the food was lighter in color so I called the company and they said it was a batch that didn't get the "fish coating spray" so bring it back to the store and get another one. I did and the color was better. The last bag I bought I noticed little white hard things sticking out of the kibble! I called the company and they said it was fish bones that had gotten through into the food and that their quality control deemed it safe to consume. She told me if I wanted she could send me a coupon for a free bag that it only affected the batch with the sell by date of March 2020.

I went back and bought a smaller bag with different exp date and it seemed ok. Now I am out again so I went to the store and bought a big bag this time with a sell by date of April 2020 and now this bag has the same pointy bone fragments in it again!! I will be looking for another dog food.... There has been too many negative changes since Van Patten sold the company. So sad...

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had my two chinchilla silver persians on venison & green pea LIT since Nov 1, 2018. I purchased the last bag June 2019. Best Buy date 05 2020. #9080 028 41214. I noticed a huge change in color so I went on NB website. A chat box appeared so I let the company know of my concern. She said everything would be fine as each batch could be slightly different?!!!

The following day my cat had horrible diarrhea. This time I called the company direct. I spoke with the same customer service rep who chatted with me the previous day. She asked me to throw the kibble away and she would send me a voucher for a new bag. I went to Petco and purchased another bag thinking I possibly got a bad batch. Color was still the same. Neither of my cats had diarrhea from the next batch although I noticed both of my cats were having issues with their vision!!! I immediately took them off this kibble and started them on Fromm.

I’m also questionable that NB has put adequate amounts of taurine in their food as lack of taurine can cause retinal degeneration in cats. This doesn’t happen overnight. It can take 5 months to a year! Something is horribly wrong with this food and so far I’m not seeing a recall. Amen for ConsumerAffairs! PLEASE STOP FEEDING YOUR CATS NATURAL BALANCE UNTIL WE KNOW MORE!!!!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Our 17 pound dog Cairn Terrier mix has been eating this dry limited ingredient dog food for a very long time. A few days after we started a new bag - and there were changes in the size of kibble and the color of the food and smell of the food - our dog started vomiting blood and diarrhea blood. Vet put him on a diet of white rice and boiled chicken, along with some meds, and his issues cleared up. Now he's back on the Natural Balance LID food for a few days and he's vomiting again and soft poop. I'm removing this food from his diet and putting him back on the rice and chicken before he gets any worse. I can't say in certainty that the food is causing his illness but I'm not taking any chances. If you are having these problems too, I'd love to know about it and how your dog was treated to recover. Thank you.

Natural Balance Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information