2.95/5
Based on 126 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

347 Natural Balance Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

My 2 bulldogs have been on this food for years (1 for 7 and 1 for 3) due to food sensitivities. The last bag (Lamb and Rice LID) I purchased on June 8, 2018 made both my dogs sick with diarrhea and GI problems. At first did not realize it was the food. Put them on rice and pumpkin to settle their stomachs. Slowly restarted the food and it happened all over again 2 days later. Due to 5 days of diarrhea I had to bring them both to the vet ($500+ later). My older dog barely is getting up from his bed. After reading some reviews on different sites this seems to be a recent trend with the Natural Balance products. I contacted the company and all they could say was that there was a formula change a couple months ago and that they test for 9 contaminants. Was not very satisfied with their response. Be very careful with your pets!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am so sad and worried. I used to buy Blue Buffalo and on the recommendation of my pet store switched to Natural Balance. Recently, my cat stopped eating much of his food, and started losing weight. I was worried maybe his teeth were hurting. I check them and they were fine, but added a bit of water to his food. He started eating it but would then throw up occasionally (Green pea and Salmon). When I went to the store to buy another bag this weekend, they said the supplier is having an "issue" with this formulation and the only one available for me to buy was the Green pea and chicken. He's eating this one enthusiastically, but my trust has been broken. He still seems to be losing a bit of weight as well and it's noticeable for a cat that was at 14 pounds just a few weeks ago. I'm throwing out the entire bag tomorrow and buying a different brand.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I bought the limited ingredient fish flavor. Mixed it with the brand I normally give her. She started with diarrhea and within 3-5 days would vomit after she ate it. The only thing she is throwing up is the undigested food. Once it’s out of her she feels better. Won’t buy it again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Similar to other recent reviews. My dogs have been on this food for all or majority of their lives. I have a senior dog that is 15 and she has been on this food for 8yrs. The last bag I bought (venison and sweet potato is the flavor I have always used) both dogs are refusing to eat and we have had issues with them throwing up after eating. I also plan on taking my food to be tested as it is unlikely that both dogs would at the same time start to refuse food. These are labs who have always been healthy eaters and have also recently had full blood workups. Something in their formula must have change.

Original review: May 10, 2018

My dog has severe allergies and has been eating Natural Balance Chicken and Sweet Potato for 3 or 4 years now. I have always loved this brand until recently, my dog became very sick, he is not eating and has lost a lot of weight. After multiple vet visits and vet bills up over $1500 come to find out he has high Ionized calcium levels in his blood (all of a sudden). We have never ever had any issues with him. Since the change of ownership and formula my dog has become extremely ill and not sure what the outcome will be. I am extremely overwhelmed with all of this. The vet did tell me to this may have been from his food. I will be submitting his food to test for poison, etc. I wish they would not change something that worked so well for years to save a buck. Now my dog is suffering and it could be terminal. Thanks Natural Balance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I love the limited ingredients, grain free and the variety of flavor/ingredient offerings Natural Balance provide. My dogs cannot eat anything 'with feathers' so the sweet potato and fish recipe is perfect for them. We get compliments on how shiny and soft their coat is all the time! We have 2 dogs at 40-60 lbs and the 26 lbs bag lasts us about 3 weeks.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a very large hound that is allergic to everything and also has digestive issues. The Natural Balance limited ingredients brands are the only food she can tolerate. It's a bit pricey but compared to the vet bills it's really worth it. I go through 2 each 26 lb bags a month. I find my dogs are happy and healthy and they enjoy the food.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: April 3, 2018

I have contacted Natural Balance asking two simple questions: 1) If the chicken they use antibiotics free. 2) Where are the products made. They refused to answer in writing and insist that they talk to me on the phone. I just do not trust the company that is not transparent. Although my cat enjoys their wet food, I decided to go with other more honest company that has nothing to hide.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison Dog Food - My dog has been eating this formulation for the majority of his life (he is now 11) without issue. With the second to last bag I bought, I noticed he would vomit sometimes directly after eating. I assumed he was eating too quickly and so I began separating his feedings into two portions. With this new bag, he has been vomiting every single time he eats as well as for a few hours after. I am taking him to the vet today. I called Natural Balance customer service and was informed the formulation had changed. I told them I am going to have the food tested and publish the results. They offered me a refund for this bag and I am opening a medical complaint with them after the vet. Food was purchased on Sunday 3/25/18 from PetSmart in Bellmore, NY on Merrick Road.

Original review: March 21, 2018

When you don't use preservatives sometimes you get worms in the food. Sorry but you cannot have it both ways!! I have personally been feeding several Natural Balance products to my tiny fussy dog for ten years!! When I got him he was not abused, however, the people who had him did not realize that he needed tiny dog food. Eating for him was a horrible experience!! When I finally discovered this food (Mini Chicken & Sweet Potatoe and Venison treats), he went crazy for it!!! They sadly took the rolled tiny dog food off the market, the new one he did not like :(. But we still give him the Jumpin' Stix. He has tooth issues so the food has to be small and soft!! These Jumpin' Stix treats are the best!!

Insufficient response received
    Original review: March 14, 2018

We recently switched to Natural Balance Chicken and Sweet Potato dry food. We gradually switched using a mixture of old food and Natural Balance Brand. After a week or so, our 7 year old became very bloated and his legs swelled. Concerned because this had never happened before, we rushed to an emergency vet. After blood and urine tests, it showed he was losing protein. Also did an ultrasound and no other issues were found and kidneys looked normal. Due to the amount of loss detected in his tests, he has been diagnosed as severe kidney disease and prescribed medications and a special kidney care diet. I have to question this and had thoughts from the get go that it might be food related.

He hasn't lost any weight and was an extremely active and happy dog before our rush to emergency and even then was ready to play and energetic. Eating eagerly etc. To think that he has severe kidney disease is hard to swallow. $1000+ later of vet bills, tests, plus meds and special diet, I can't help but think it is food related especially after reading other reviews. I will be sure to tell anyone that is thinking to buy this food to try another brand as it simply is not worth the risk! Our story is too similar to other stories.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I’m reading the poor reviews for this product and all I can think is “really”? Almost everyone starts with I changed my pets food or I decided to try... First of all changing your pet's food is a process not to be done spontaneously or quickly. It’s a slow introduction process. That’s why your pets are sick. And if your pet has a food allergy you need to read ALL ingredients before introducing the food. One person said he found worms in the roll food. Although not appealing, you have to wonder how many worms your pets eat outside. Natural is natural. This food has been the best I have ever purchased for my pets. They thrive well with no issues. I have a dog with digestive issues and allergies and he does very well with this food. In my opinion the poor reviews are due to user error and not the food itself.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I’ve been feeding my dogs Natural Balance dry Sweet Potatoe and Venison for about 5 years now. I chose this food, because I was looking for the healthiest diet with the least cheap fillers in it, and at the time this seemed to be the best food. They did well on this until September of 2017. They all started getting sick and I contacted the store I purchased it from as well as Natural Balance who assured me there hadn’t been any changes. I was sent another bag and it seemed to be a bit better as their tummy’s calmed down.

In the next few months I started to notice they wouldn’t eat their food all day until they were super hungry at night and would not finish it. In Late November 2017 they all started having horrible gas and bloating and looked like they felt miserable. I called the store I purchased from again and gave them the details and the batch numbers on the bag. They didn’t offer a refund or anything and shipped out my next bag, saying to get back to them after the dogs eat the new bag of food. Well they did start the new bag and the same thing, they didn’t want to eat. I got a call from natural balance again and they said nothing changed, but we’re surprised I was still getting the dog food since they had been back ordered due to a shortage of Venison, hmm.

Nobody mentioned this to me before. By the time I spoke to them, my dogs all has loose stool, horrible gas and were miserable. I stopped the food for a week and have them rice and boiled turkey breast and they seemed a little better. As soon as I started the food back up, they were all miserable again. One dog started vomiting for 24 hrs and having pure watery diarrhea. The others still ate the food a little and were not feeling well. We took in stool samples to the vet paid for blood work, urine cultures and had to have our dog injected with antibiotics and nausea medicine. It was a nightmare. He had us up all night for two days prior to being able to get him to the vet. We live in a rural area and weren’t able to get to our vet until Monday. He is off of the food and is on medicine and hopefully healing.

The other two dogs were still on the food this past week and would not finish it. Now all are having horrible watery diarrhea and gas and we are stopping the food for good. Of course it’s the weekend again and we can’t get them to our Vet until Monday. We have already put a call into our vet about this and are hoping they can help all of our babies. This is so stressful and is making me sick worrying about our babies who we give the best care. All of our dogs are healthy or were before this started happening. Everyone had a clean bill of Health in October with healthy lab work, fecals, and all.

I’m feeling like there’s something Natural Balance is not admitting and it’s slowly killing my dogs. Natural Balance, step up and stop putting garbage in your foods, or sourcing from China if that’s what you’re doing. I’m sleepless, and sick worrying about whether or not my dogs are going to get better. Natural Balance I will be calling you and the company who ships food to us Monday to give you more information on this matter and to express my frustration.

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

After 2 days my dog developed severe diarrhea. This Dry Dog Food is the only thing new that Ichabod Crane has received. I'm very disappointed, I have now read more reviews and the same is happening to other puppies/dogs. Natural Balance why are you allowing this to continue? You know by now what's wrong with what you're selling to us. My dog and other people's dogs are NOT collateral damage!!

What do I advise... Check your plant for contamination, if found clean it up, fix the problem, admit it, apologize and do a recall. Stop buying your ingredients from other Countries. We, I, you, are responsible to make sure that our animals are healthy, feed well and happy. We will not stand by and allow this to happen because no matter how big of a company you Natural Balance are, We will make sure by voicing our experience with your brand that this stops here, that no other animal Mom/Dad will have to watch their fur babies experience severe diarrhea, loss of appetite, throwing up and then multiple vet visits. And unfortunately at times rare but it still happens their death because of your dog food!

Take heed Natural Balance. We have giving you opportunity after opportunity to make this right. You have hurt our babies. Our vet bills are costly. Our hearts are crying, and our patience have worn thin. We are mad as hell and you're not listening to us or our sick dogs. Next step will be a class action lawsuit! I will not let this go. You have hurt my fur baby, my Ichabod Crane, it rips my heart out each time I watch as my puppy/dog cries in pain because his stomach hurts, as he poops his guts out and yelps doing it, as he looks up at me for help.

It kills me because I am and you Natural Balance are at fault, I bought Your brand of dog food believing in your marketing your product, I fed your brand to him and now he's sick. That feeling of failure Natural Balance is on you. I'm a vicious mother when it comes to my little ones!! Fix your mess Natural Balance! I stand by my review and it has been verified. Ball's in your court Natural Balance. Do the right thing. Stop hurting our animals!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We have two dogs and three cats and all five of them thrive on Natural Balance food. They ate healthy, their teeth are looking good and digestion is normal. Natural Balance is a great food.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

After a few months my dog will go for a day or 2 and not eat it. Then will eat it once they're hungry. I even change the food in the bowl daily thinking maybe the food gets stale. This also happened with Blue Wolf so we switched to this brand and not sure I want to keep switching to figure out what they'll consistently eat.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We changed to Natural Balance after seeing the vet when one of our dogs got sick. She advised us that the food we were giving her was part of her problem and we needed to give our dogs a much healthier food to help prevent them from developing the same condition she had. Which for her was fatal. The vet is very pleased with our choice, Natural Balance L.I.D. Chicken and Sweet Potato. Our senior dogs love it and are all very healthy and our new puppy loves it as well. All ages eat the same food so no need to buy puppy food and senior as it is made for all ages. Plus, it's much easier on the pocket.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Natural Balance dry dog food is the perfect fit for my two furbabies. There are several formulas, all with great ingredients, that they eagerly dive into at each meal. I also use the chubs of soft food as a special treat with their kibble.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I tried different flavors but my yorkies did not seem to really like it. I had to doctor it up to get them to eat it. But they are eating Bil-Jac and liked it right off.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This a dog brand that I can trust. Good wholesome ingredients, no fillers. My dog eats less than a regular brand and she stays fuller longer. Great bang for my buck and is available in large chunks which is hard to find for large breed dogs.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I read dog food ingredients without fail as I believe that investing in higher quality food for my pets (just like for me) sets them up for better health and lower doc bills in the long run. Plus they deserve to enjoy their food too! My dog has enjoyed Natural Balance lamb since she was a puppy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

For me it is the best value I can find in a dog or cat food, and most of my pets have been very healthy, happy, and playful. I live in a high, dry climate, so I have been feeding Pure Balance Salmon and Pea for the omega 3's and the convenience of shopping at Walmart. I recommend it to customers whenever I am in a pet food department anywhere, when appropriate. I have had a lot of pets in my life, and worked in a small pet store for a while in the 90's. The owner taught me a lot about nutrition, and Pure Balance is my choice.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This is the best dog food I have ever bought... It has good ingredients and is healthy for my pets. I prefer this food over the more pricier ones.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

One of our 3 large dogs is a very picky eater, especially when it comes to his dry dog food. I worry about taste, but also about the quality of the food. I've researched my options and when it comes to taste and trusted ingredients, my picky eater enjoys Blue Buffalo and the Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Dog brand has many choices. I buy only small bites for my dog and I wish there were more choices there. I read the ingredient list and compare brands. This seems to compare to higher priced brands.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Ralphie [our 11 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever] LOVES the taste and I love the ingredients in the can of Lamb - they are all good ingredients and I don't have to worry.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The Natural Balance pet food is Grain free so my dogs love it, but expensive. Plus I can not always find it. It would be nice if it came in a 50 lb. Bag since I am feeding 2 large dogs.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

She loves this food! As soon as I put it in the bowl she ate it up! Just started using it. Switched from Purina when I went to buy it there were maggots on the bag!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My dog has food allergies. We have tried almost every brand of food on the market and it either does not help, it makes his problem worse or it is just too expensive for my budget. Natural Balance has been our happy medium for over a year. He likes it and is happy & much healthier with significantly less skin issues now.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have a cat with a fish allergy. He was doing great on this then his itch attacks started and kept getting worse. I started looking for another food to try and when comparing ingredients, found they added fish oil! I'm so disappointed in this company! They call it a limited ingredient diet, but it's not really. Now trying to find a fish free food that he likes as much as he did this one.

Natural Balance Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

• Best for: Dogs with special health needs and dogs in need of training.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information