2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (261 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: March 28, 2021

Trying to find a limited ingredient dog food after recently getting an allergy test for our dog. 10 minutes after eating this she threw up the entire thing, followed by her losing her balance and falling, shaking uncontrollably, pooped and peed on the floor (which she never does), small fever, and panting uncontrollably. It almost looked like she had a mini stroke or seizure. She got better over the next 30 minutes and eventually went back to normal. Needless to say, the dog food immediately got thrown out.

Original review: March 15, 2021

In 2018 I adopted my sister's nine year old Shih Tzu-Yorkie cross dog (Miss Sara). She joined my 13+ year old miniature Schnauzer (Angus) that I had since he was 8 weeks old. Miss Sara had a lot of allergies that gave her skin problems. I put them both on Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato grain-free food. Although Miss Sara's skin problems cleared up, the next time each of the dogs had blood work done, it showed problems with liver enzymes. A lot of tests were done. The normal problem that shows up is HEART but don't be fooled. LIVER problems can show up too. A lot of costly tests were done, they were put on RX medication and veterinary diet food.

Last spring, a friend lost his dog to the same kind of problems Angus showed. When I asked what kind of food he was on, the answer was Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Fish & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Food. We lost Angus on Oct 29, 2020 and the only way to describe it was HEARTBREAKING. Sara is still with us but the liver problems don't magically disappear when you switch food. She still has those problems and will have a liver ultrasound done soon. This isn't Dick Van Patten's original formula. Out of love for the $$$, the company changed the food.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Several years ago, my cat had severe issues with eating and was throwing up her food every day. I was told I needed to cook organic cat food for her. The Vet could not diagnose the issue. The organic recipe I made worked to fix the problem, but many hundreds of $$ later and after spending an hour or more weekly cooking for her, I was looking for another option. I found Natural Balance grain free pouches. Not only was my cat able to eat it without throwing up, she loved it! Also the health benefits have been amazing. She is older than 15 years and climbs the posts on our raised deck like a kitten! Great product!

Original review: March 7, 2020

Just went through months of trying to figure out why CKD cat wouldn't eat some of the Natural Balance pouches. Found some had tiny leaks. If turn to back can see the seal defective usually at top corner and air justs in. My beloved Doo was doing so well as vet said CKD cats never put weight on she had. Till the stupid leaky foods. After 2 months of total worrisome frustration, noticed bit of leaking on one pack. Then could see how many were. I REPORTED to NB.. They sent me a check for 1.26. For a one of few cans of food tried..one dry and yucky..other smelled like nitrates so bad..couple others Doo ate some. So after all the food lost to their packaging..1.26. Please don't trust these folks. Likely to kill your furry friend.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I am so happy to see that others have had the same experience as I have. Not happy about your pets being sick, but that I'm not imagining things. I have been feeding the small breed bites for years to my dogs, mixed with the wet food of the same brand. Last summer, one of my dogs, who has a voracious appetite wouldn't eat his food. I was worried something was wrong with him, he is 14, but he would eat anything else I gave him, so he wasn't sick. Then my husband and I noticed the smell. Disgusting. I've since been making their food, and they love it. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I am so mad right now I am trying to not type in all caps!! About a month ago, our 10 year old dog Fudge began getting sick. He would randomly vomit foam in the mornings every couple days. Then, every couple days he would wake up and not want to eat. Only every three or four days, then he would be fine. After about two weeks, on the days he wouldn't eat, he would get horrific diarrhea. He would come back in the house and sprawl out on the floor and shake uncontrollably. After about 6-8 hours of this it would stop. He would then be fine for about two days, and it would repeat again. We took him to the vet, and they did every test they could and found nothing wrong with him! Nothing!

A few days later it started again, except this time he was vomiting amounts of blood. That morning I rushed him to the vet, shaking, falling asleep. I thought he was going to die!! They told me the next step was an ultrasound of his digestive system. That night, I decided to google his food. I dont know why. I just did. And I came across this thread. I saw that a few peoples stories read like mine verbatim!! So in a last ditch effort, I switched his food to Fromm. He needs food without chicken since he has allergies. It has been a solid week.... And he is perfectly FINE!!! No problems, nothing! I am so mad right now that he went though all of that and the entire problem was his Natural Balance food! DO NOT give it to your pet!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

My miniature dachshund Roxie had allergies, also at a young age, so we found NB salmon and sweet potato. We switched her to this food for 11 years now and was doing fine until we ordered a new bag and suddenly last Saturday started throwing up several times. On Sunday she was unresponsive so we took her to animal hospital. Vet said it looked like a bone or metal in her stomach after taking x-rays and ultrasound. Dr. said after tests and it was clear that she was very ill and in pain so we had to put her down.

Needless to say we are devastated and heartbroken. When I received the doctor's report, the conclusions say there were mineral materials within the stomach could represent a recent dietary indiscretion or foreign material, or oral medication, which she was not on medication. She lived 3 days short of her 13th birthday. Heartbroken, crying just coming home and not seeing her or greeting us. I’m giving this zero star. If and when I get another pet it definitely not be NB.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

At first this food seemed to work wonders because my dog has food allergies. But she started to act weird and I would have to mix stuff into her food to get her to eat it, and she became lethargic and would continuously go diarrhea. I came across an article this morning and several brands were tested for **, yes found in EUTHANASIA, and the company that manufactures Natural Balance and 11 other brands was found positive for 60% of the food tested.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

My 20 pound lhasa/silky terrier mix has always had a sensitive stomach. For 10 years I have fed him Natural Balance and he's been through a couple of formula changes with no problem. This most recent formula change has been a catastrophe on his poor digestive system. He's been to the vet twice and has had to have an IV because he was so dehydrated from all of the vomiting and diarrhea. They have done away with the Ultra small bites, so I gave him the small bite chicken formula. He only ate it for 2 days until he got sicker than he's ever been. The vet has him on a Royal Canin gastrointestinal diet and that seems to be helping him. I will never buy Natural Balance again (and I've been a loyal customer for 10 years). I fear that with his age, I will now have to continue giving him prescription pet food. If you love your dog, and I am sure you do - DO NOT FEED THEM THIS NEW FORMULA DOG FOOD.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Do not feed your dog this food. Stay away from their products. They obviously do not care about animals! So many negative reviews all year!!! It poison!!!! We have been buying this brand for over 4 year. My Yorkshire terriers have sensitive skin so this used to be god sent formula. Beautiful coats and clear skin. I’m so devastated that my dog were consuming this food this year. My dog got significantly lighter in weight but I say him eat his food, why wouldn’t he? He’s been eating the same food. I should’ve questioned this more after the venison and sweet potato was no longer on shelves. I trusted the brand and got the fish one.

November Thanksgiving week he started to throw up! Non stop! I stayed home for two days giving him fluids and fresh food. He got better. He was still eating so I was able to help him! We switch food! He stopped being so sleepy and got his energy back! All 2019 I thought he was just decline due to age but his energy is back without this food! He is still dealing with skin problems

Natural Balance Pet Foods author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information