1.56/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Looking for a good dog food brand?

388 Natural Balance Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is the brand our breeder recommended. We like the limited ingredients and the dogs really love it. We are very conscientious to buy grain free, but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on the topic.

Original review: April 12, 2019

This food is Natural Balance Duck and Potato that I fed to my first dog. When I got this current dog I continued to use it. It is balanced with all of the necessary nutrients except for dietary fiber. It is somewhat low in fiber. So I also give her Blue Wilderness Salmon or Duck. This keeps my dog's elimination on a regular schedule.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 12 yr old Cocker this food for a long time. Have never had any issues with it. I purchase the 6 oz cans because I understand they are BHP free or not as bad as the 13 oz cans. Hershey loves this dog food! Thumbs up as far as we’re concerned.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I tried all types of can, pouch and plastic tub wet foods for my diva Midnight. She will only eat Natural Balance, grain-free wet food. I mean, the ONLY wet food she will eat. She loves it and has never had any adverse reactions. The bonus is that she loves every flavor of Delectable Delights.

Original review: July 13, 2019

NB Sweet Potato & Fish Kibble. I have been feeding my 2 Jack Russell pups this food for the last 5 years, but I noticed a change in the food quality. Last year I noticed the food was lighter in color so I called the company and they said it was a batch that didn't get the "fish coating spray" so bring it back to the store and get another one. I did and the color was better. The last bag I bought I noticed little white hard things sticking out of the kibble! I called the company and they said it was fish bones that had gotten through into the food and that their quality control deemed it safe to consume. She told me if I wanted she could send me a coupon for a free bag that it only affected the batch with the sell by date of March 2020.

I went back and bought a smaller bag with different exp date and it seemed ok. Now I am out again so I went to the store and bought a big bag this time with a sell by date of April 2020 and now this bag has the same pointy bone fragments in it again!! I will be looking for another dog food.... There has been too many negative changes since Van Patten sold the company. So sad...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had my two chinchilla silver persians on venison & green pea LIT since Nov 1, 2018. I purchased the last bag June 2019. Best Buy date 05 2020. #9080 028 41214. I noticed a huge change in color so I went on NB website. A chat box appeared so I let the company know of my concern. She said everything would be fine as each batch could be slightly different?!!!

The following day my cat had horrible diarrhea. This time I called the company direct. I spoke with the same customer service rep who chatted with me the previous day. She asked me to throw the kibble away and she would send me a voucher for a new bag. I went to Petco and purchased another bag thinking I possibly got a bad batch. Color was still the same. Neither of my cats had diarrhea from the next batch although I noticed both of my cats were having issues with their vision!!! I immediately took them off this kibble and started them on Fromm.

I’m also questionable that NB has put adequate amounts of taurine in their food as lack of taurine can cause retinal degeneration in cats. This doesn’t happen overnight. It can take 5 months to a year! Something is horribly wrong with this food and so far I’m not seeing a recall. Amen for ConsumerAffairs! PLEASE STOP FEEDING YOUR CATS NATURAL BALANCE UNTIL WE KNOW MORE!!!!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Our 17 pound dog Cairn Terrier mix has been eating this dry limited ingredient dog food for a very long time. A few days after we started a new bag - and there were changes in the size of kibble and the color of the food and smell of the food - our dog started vomiting blood and diarrhea blood. Vet put him on a diet of white rice and boiled chicken, along with some meds, and his issues cleared up. Now he's back on the Natural Balance LID food for a few days and he's vomiting again and soft poop. I'm removing this food from his diet and putting him back on the rice and chicken before he gets any worse. I can't say in certainty that the food is causing his illness but I'm not taking any chances. If you are having these problems too, I'd love to know about it and how your dog was treated to recover. Thank you.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs the Natural Balance Chicken formula. I have had my boxer mix not wanting to eat her food and it's getting worse. Recently I bought a new bag and noticed the smell coming from it. Thought nothing of it, just thought it was me. My boxer went 3 days refusing to eat it, we thought maybe she had a bug and switched her to homemade chicken and rice...after several days, returned her to the food slowly mixing it in with the homemade chicken and rice. In the meantime my dachshund was eating it, four days in he started vomiting and we put him on the homemade chicken and rice after that.

Again, thinking that now he had what the boxer had (used this food for several years and not noticed a problem so why would we think it was the food). Now I have both of them pooping without control and the boxer wouldn't eat this morning and now is throwing up. Decided to Google the food to see if there has been any recalls and found the reviews and the problem with this food....Why isn't it off the market.... TAKE YOUR DOG OFF THIS FOOD!!!!

Original review: June 20, 2019

My gentle Sammy has been on the sweet potato and fish formula for about 5 years because of her allergies. Over the past month she has been off her food and lethargic. At first I attributed it to the loss of our life companion. I would augment her meals on and off with chicken and rice to get her interested. But she’d leave most of the kibble. She wasn’t eating, smiling ... upset stomach,diarrhea and seemed feverish. My poor, loving girl.

After much worry and trying all sorts of combinations I have narrowed it down to the kibble. She’s on home cooking now to help her to. How can this company and the pet store not warn the consumer about a change in formula or possible contamination? I am now aware of recalls for contamination. The bag may say packaged in the US, but there is NO information where the ingredients are from or where it’s made! Their irresponsibility could result in serious illness and deaths. I will never return to this brand, and will “spread the word”. Heading to her veterinarian specialist and Hopefully that she will recover.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I’ve been feeding my male pug Natural Balance Bison kibble since I got him at 5 months old. Never had a problem until about 3 bags ago. He started with no eating right away and he’s a gobbler. Now it’s to the point he just doesn’t want to eat. After reading many reviews I’m thinking I need to stop feeding him this. Like others said, I did realize when I opened a bag the smell and color were different but as long as he was eating it I figure it was fine. I was feeding him that because he has a sensitive stomach. But now, honestly I don’t know what to feed him. Going to have to cancel that automatic delivery from Chewy.

Original review: June 13, 2019

We have a 7 year old mix breed 50 lb dog who has been eating Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Formula for the past 7 years without problems. Recently I noticed the color of the food was a bit darker but did not put a lot of thought into it (my mistake). A week or so later our dog began to have stomach problems and honestly we thought he may have gotten into something in the yard. In the event the food may have been a bad batch as it was a relatively new bag, we returned it to PetSmart and purchased a new bag (same brand). Gave our dog a couple of days with a bland diet to recuperate and he did.

Began using the new bag Natural Balance and again started to experience the same issues. Slowly began experiencing our dog not wanting to eat his food, seeming lethargic and then experiencing vomiting and diarrhea this time much sicker. Stopped the Natural Balance and started with white rice and chicken for a week and then slowly introduced a new brand of food, Wellness. Although our beloved dog is much better, he did not bounce back fast the second time. Concerned, we looked into reviews and we were shocked to find all the negative reviews for Natural Balance and issues that people were having with their pets. I am not sure what the problem is but I DO NOT RECOMMEND using this dog food. I will be contacting the company and PetSmart.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Had to take my cat to the vet for diarrhea and vomiting. Could find no health issues - thought maybe the cat ate a toy etc. Fast forward to opening a new bag of this cat food. Looks completely different than the last bag - which was darker in color AND also had small black specs in it everywhere! I gave her the new bag and guess what? Diarrhea from a food change because it wasn't the same food!!!! Same package, they obviously do not care at all about these pets!! I've had so many veterinarians say to stick to the brands that have been around the longest. This company is terrible!

Original review: May 13, 2019

Problem with this recent food formula or ingredients? I recently got a GSP pup raised on Diamond by her breeder. I have been looking at online reviews as I was considering switching to NB. I have come upon the recent reviews on this site, and now see what may have been a - if not the - contributing factor to my previous dog's sudden health decline and death last November. I feel I should document it here in case it may help reveal a critical issue with this brand.

I raised my German Shorthair x lab exclusively on NB Lamb and Rice since 2011 with very excellent results. In late spring of 2018, he started vomiting undigested food and losing muscle mass, so of course I took him to the vet. Examination and imaging revealed inflammatory response and enlarged walls in the upper small intestine. Blood, stool and urine work came back indicating he was losing and/or not taking up protein. He was put on antibiotics and dietary protein supplementation, including boiled chicken breast and white rice. His condition improved by mid June and we resumed normal diet of NB L&R.

In early November he started vomiting and diarrhea again, and losing muscle mass. Vet again did blood work and imaging and found a large mass in his stomach. Surgery found a large tumor, but also advanced pancreatitis, and was put down. The stomach mass was not tested for malignancy as blood work showed only slightly elevated white blood cell count and the pancreas situation was inoperable and terminal. We never considered there may have been an issue with his food, as he had done so well on it. But the timing of his symptoms and demise with that of recent reviews here makes us suspect that I was feeding him a bad lot.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Just want to add my recent experience to the ones already posted. There HAS INDEED been a change to the Bison and Sweet Potato formula... lighter in color with smaller kibble size. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG THIS FOOD. We've been using Natural Balance for 10 years but will never return after this incident. Not only did my dogs not want to eat it but what little they did eat gave them dark, loose stools. By the way, I called NB just yesterday to inform them and all I got was denial and scripted responses.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We started our 5 lb dog on this food 10 years ago because he was having digestive problems (vomiting daily, diarrhea) and we heard that the Sweet Potato & Fish formulation was especially good for sensitive stomachs. After starting him on it, his stomach problems went away. In the past couple months, he has been having episodes of (pain-induced?) trembling during the day and night and bouts of vomiting. He went to the vet for exams, blood work, x-rays. No abnormalities were identified.

Then I learned that Natural Balance had been reformulated right before we bought our latest bag of dog food. Are all his recent problems due to this? After examining the dog food, I noticed small fishbones (or something sharp) sticking out of the kibble. We've switched him to a chicken/rice diet and he is slowly getting better. We'll be looking for a new dog food to switch him over to once he's ready. We will NOT be going back to Natural Balance.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Our teacup Yorkie has been eating the dog food in the roll for a couple years or so. Then we couldn't find it them. All of a sudden I came across some in our local Petco. After he started eating it again he was having an accident in the house occasionally and this is not normal for him at all. His accidents became more frequent and his urine had a horrible odor to it, absolutely horrendous. Then he was having 2 accidents through the nights. I knew something had to be seeing with him and mentioned it to a friend and she asked if I had changed his food recently. I told her I had not been able to find his normal food and had tried a different foods but then found his original food again so I had put him back on it and this started slowly. She told me to stop and I did that day and seriously he did not have an accident that night forward. How the heck could that happen? I'm just thankful we figured it was the food. Poor dogs.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My lab cross has eaten Natural Balance for 10 years, lamb meal & rice. In January 2019 we got a new bag with different graphics but were told it was the same formula. My dog started vomiting and had uncontrollable diarrhea. We thought she had a flu. Nursed her back to health with rice and cooked chicken. Then reintroduced the Natural Balance kibble...again diarrhea. This happened again until we gave up on the kibble. The formula is toxic to our dog. After 10 years we are left to find a new food for our dog. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 9, 2019

We've been feeding our dogs Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Bison formula for years with no problems. Now, like many others have noted, we get a new bag, open it up, smells different, looks different, and my dogs HATE it. Why take what was good dog food and mess with it. I have 40 pounds of crap now that my dogs won't eat. Why?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Our 14 year old American Bulldog has extreme food sensitivities and in the last year she suddenly started getting foul breath, Candida biofilm vomit and growths on her body. When I switched to the Duck and Potato 2 months ago, all the symptoms and growths went away. I had a pit bull that lived to 14 on the Duck and Potato with ZERO growths, no ear infections and no gas. So I have a long history of appreciation for the LID Duck and Potato.

This week I ran out and had just a few servings of the Fish/Sweet Potato left in the Vittles Vault, I have been giving the dogs the last of it, I should have just thrown it out. I noticed within days the terrible gas starting up again and now smelly ear wax on my tiny Maltese mix. Yesterday I noticed that the healed spot on my bully has gotten inflamed again. There's definitely something wrong with this food. I'm starting to wonder if the company is sourcing their salmon from the TOXIC FARMED stuff. I am horrified to see my babies suddenly having irritations from what used to be a healthy and nutritious kibble.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I've been loyal to Natural Balance for over twenty years. Suddenly I get a bag of food that is completely different! The size, color and SMELL is very noticeably different. The labels on the bag are the same. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, WTF? We've been paying for your food because we have dogs that require limited Ingredient Diets! Shame on you for changing it without any warning. Poor animals with bloody diarrhea... vet visits... dogs on IV's. There is no excuse for it. Thank goodness I noticed the difference and didn't feed it to my dogs. Problem is now I've got 60 pounds of food I can't use. This happened to me before when I had a dog on Blue Buffalo. They changed the recipe and that time I had a very sick dog because of it. It's really a shame these companies just don't care anymore about the animals. It's all about $$$$ and that's it. Not the company Dick Van Patton started! Shane, shame shame!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My little 8-year-old pug suffers from severe allergies, I began to feed her with Natural balance (Grain-free fish and sweet potatoes). Never, I give other food to my pet that is not their food. Everything was fine, but a few days ago I noticed that my dog had a lot of gases, his breath smells really bad. I never passed this with any other food, days later my little baby had a severe allergic crisis, I take her to the emergency vet hospital. The first question the doctor asked me, is, "What food do you give your pet? You have to throw it away, that made your little pet sick!!!" I recently, realized that they changed the formula and the food don't have the same quality!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have several dogs. 2 yrs ago we switched to this food because our one dog a Shar-Pei was allergy tested and she is allergic to peas and oats. Try to find a kibble without peas. We put then all on NB. It started with a few of my kids not wanting to eat, vomiting occ, itchy dry skin and hair, agitation and lethargy. We had to take our Mini Bull Terrier into the vet for her skin, the first time for anything other than shots or a check up and spay. She will be 4 in April, local reputable breeder. The DR listens to her heart and says "she has a heart murmur". You could have knocked my husband and I off the chair with a feather, we were in shock. She has never had a heart murmur, not since birth or the last time we had her in Oct 2016 for her rabies shot and exam.

I asked if it could be her diet, he wasn't sure. I search out and ordered supplements and a different food, still grain free but meat is first. I contacted NB and I have a case number. In March we will be taking her to a cardiologist and see if we can get to the bottom of this. If this is the fault of the food, I'm contacting everyone. Like I said I'm pretty pissed off right now. Not only is she our baby she is a 2500 dog! Reading all these comments is telling that there is a problem with this food, clearly. Oh we switched to Sport dog from Canada pea free.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We have been using this food for the last two years, for my bulldog mix. Luckily the clerk at Pet Food Express told us they recently changed the ingredients. This was our first time trying the new recipe, after his first serving, he had diarrhea that night. I gave it to him for breakfast and he had diarrhea all day, even a little blood! I gave him a different holistic food for dinner and he is fine. Normal poops! If the clerk hadn't told us of the switch, we would have kept feeding him the food and he could have gotten worse! It is terrible that Natural Balance changed the formula so much it caused diarrhea immediately. My dog does not have a sensitive stomach and I can't imagine how it would hurt a more delicate dog!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My dog had been having diarrhea for a while and itchy skin for the longest I could not figure out why. I’ve had him on the same food for many years and after doing a lot of research decided it was time to switch his dog food. I was thinking possibly my dog can be allergic to the food I have been giving him so I looked online at different brands and read a lot of reviews and decided to go with natural balance seems like it had a lot of good reviews. Well after one serving, his diarrhea went away. So I was extremely happy about that. But the following day I started noticing a strong smell of cat pee on him. I thought maybe while I was walking him he may have got too close to a bush that a cat could have been hiding in or peed in.

I also noticed he also has been scratching more than ever. He’s scratching himself so hard I’m worried he’s going to make himself start bleeding. I gave him a bath, the smell was gone and he was happy. I washed all his beds and then about an hour later after I fed him the strong smell of cat piss was back again. Now I’m back online and wished I would have done more research bc I’m seeing a lot of complaints from many other people having this same issue with Natural balance. I’m going to have to stop feeding him this because I can’t take this smell anymore it’s making my house smell too. And this food was so expensive too. Now I'm back to looking around for another brand of food. Why is this food causing this foul odor??

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

To all who give their dog this food, STOP. We have used this food for 2 decades and when they changed the formula in June or July 2018 our dog got deathly ill. Thank god for our local pet food store that told me they had changed the formula. After numerous vet appts and medicine and procedures our little girl has finally recovered and it was all about changing her dog food. I'm giving it 2 months to make sure she's 100% before I contact whoever I need to to stop selling this food. Dick Van Patten truly cared about animals and this food had been something we depended on for all our dogs in the past, but not anymore. Please stop feeding your dogs this food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I fed the potato and duck formula for over a year. My dog has eaten this food since she was a puppy. Natural Balance is the only food she has ever eaten. Over the last two months she suddenly started to gag and vomit while eating the food. She wouldn’t even finish the bowl of dog food before vomiting. She sometimes would spit the food out too. At first I just thought maybe she started new habit of eating too fast so I got her a slow feed bowl. The problem continued. I have switched food and I no longer have a vomiting problem. Natural Balance must have changed something in the food. I see no other explanation.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We have two older dogs with some health issues. Opened a new bag and noticed many pcs of the kibble were burned. Why would Natural Balance allow this to be shipped to dogs. Checked and throughout the bag. Who wants burned food. Pretty upset.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

After using this product for 3 years with no problem, the Venison & Sweet Potato this past Monday I opened a new bag. It's 4.5 lbs. It looked different in color and size kibble. My dog when I came home from work had eaten all of what was in her bowl. Very unusual. So I gave her a small amount more. She had been fine the night before until 5:30 AM Tuesday morning when she became very agitated. She needed to go out. She will not do the business in the apt. Very loose stool. Three hours later once again agitated. I took her out and her diarrhea was much worse and I could tell she was in pain.

I contacted her vet, she was placed on a bland diet. She's not been herself. Got a different bag of the same food, the vet wanted me to try and give her a few pieces mixed with her bland food after being off NB for a few days. Back to having bad diarrhea. She is now on meds for this. I have contacted Natural Balance about four times in the past few days for answers. All they keep saying is that there has been no change in the formulation, and yes this batch was different in color and size. This was purchase thru Amazon and they have pulled this size bag off their website after I contacted them. This is a problem! New bag, my dog gets very ill... Coincidence... I don't think so!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My cat has health issues like hyperthyroid and IBD. I was giving my cat venison food from the vet but soon after I started her on it, it was backordered so I got this NB venison from the pet store. It was easier to get this from the store than travel to the vet so I kept giving it to her. Initially she seemed to like eating it. However at some point she was throwing up more often, to the point of daily vomiting of bile. Then one she just stopped eating. I thought she was going to die. Then I got some of the venison food sold at by the vet and gave it to my cat to see if she would eat it. She gobbled it down. She gained weight (she was scrawny before), and she went from listless to bring & alert. Around the same time that she refused to eat, I gave her a Reiki treatment. It is hard to say what caused this 180 turnaround - she rarely even vomits anymore - but I really think the NB food was bad for her. So be careful before feeding it to your feline sweetheart.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My 15 year old Rottweiler mix has eaten the "Sweet Potato & Fish" dry and wet dog food for just about all of his life. He has severe allergies and this has always been my go-to food even though it's expensive; I've found it to be the best up until recently. As others have noted I recently noticed a color change of the bag and was a little suspicious but didn't think much of it. But now He's puking constantly and when he does manage to keep it down for a few hours, the food is undigested when he does puke it up. He's also had bouts of diarrhea and the worst gas! I mean it's like somebody died up there LOL. It's bad! So bad that it has gotten me researching and looking into this food a little bit more and I believe that the ingredients have recently changed.

Probably at the same time they changed the color of the bag is when they changed the ingredients? I don't know but I believe it used to be salmon in this food but now it's something else and obviously something not very tolerated by my dog so now he's 15 years old and I'm going to be starting like brand new trying to find a different food that works for him. What a way to ruin something good.

Natural Balance Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information