toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

This summer my two dogs and cat were constantly throwing up and having other gastro problems. My vet kept giving me meds and special RX dog food that masked the real problems. I finally decided to get a second opinion and the change has been unbelievable. All three of my animals are on Natural Balance limited ingredients and the problems stopped and their coats are silky. I will not feed them anything else ever again. Even their treats are Natural Balance. I would like to see more pet stores carry a wider selection of their products as it seems to fly off the shelves.

I fed our little Corky dog Natural Balance for at least 13 years. He enjoyed several of the flavors and never had a digestive problem with it. I especially liked that they also have several different treats that go along with the dog food. It was a favorite part of his day to see us reach in the bag that he knew had a treat for him.

I learned very quickly that my pup was going to be grain free. She had vomiting, diarrhea, and skin irritation when eating normal puppy food. My friend suggested that I try grain free. I started using Natural Balance dog foods and noticed immediate good results. She stopped vomiting, the diarrhea stopped, and her skin started clearing up. After she turned a year I tried some "store brand" grain free foods and the irritations and problems came back. I switched her back, her problems disappeared. Looks like they've got a customer for the rest of her life.

Let me start by saying I'm not a crazy vegan trying to push my diet on my pet. I got my Momo in 2002 as a 3-month old puppy who was dumped on the side of the road with her litter mates in farm country where there is no dog shelter. She was some sort of lab mix and my then boyfriend (now husband) and I loved and doted on her then as we do our own biological children now. We believe if you take on the responsibility of adopting an animal you do so for life and you have a responsibility to give them a quality of life. Around 6 months of age, Mo started obsessively licking her paws and belly until she was bald and raw and she constantly scratched herself. The vet confirmed she was free from fleas and any other parasites. I knew dogs that got heat rash and would lick but our dog was exclusively indoors except for leash walks. This is when the internet was really growing and I worked in IT so I started reaching out online.

It seemed her allergy had to be systemic and I became certain it was diet related. I began cycling through diets - raw meat, home cooked, you name it, but she still suffered. You read a lot today about dogs allergic to grains, but back then I stumbled on a few articles about dogs allergic to animal protein. That would explain why she hadn't improved on any of the homemade diets. I searched for a vegetarian formula dog food and the only one available at the time was this one from Natural Balance. Only problem it was a specialty food at the time and hard to find. The closest store that sold it was 100 miles away. Buying online and having it shipped was cost-prohibitive for a 60-pound lab mix. Thankfully, there was one pet store in my hometown (about 200 miles away) that sold it. Since we visited my parents regularly, we decided to try a bag the next time we visited. All of her symptoms cleared immediately.

Initially my vet thought I was absolutely bonkers, but year after year at Mo's annual checkup, he would look her over and comment on how great her coat looked and ask what I was feeding her. After a few years he stopped looking shocked when I reminded him that she was on the vegetarian food because of her allergies. We made stocking up on dog food a part of our visits to my parents. Around the time Mo was age 11 or 12, Petsmart started carrying Natural Balance and I couldn't have been any more ecstatic. Other companies started coming out with vegetarian formulas that seemed more palatable but they just don't seem to have the same high nutritional content.

We finally had to say goodbye to our Mo this past April after 14 years which is pretty amazing for a large dog. We truly believe that her food contributed to her overall health and longevity so our new puppy also eats Natural Balance (though we give her the slightly cheaper kind with animal proteins). Thank you for providing a quality food for our beloved family members.

This food I have fed Charlie my 3 year old English Bulldog his whole life. I swear by it. This food has different flavors, grain-free and has not caused any skin allergies to him. When I first got Charlie he was very sick and when I went on the bully form I saw readers feeding this food to their dogs. I would not change anything about it. We just introduced a female Rotty to our family and she is on the same food as well. Thank You Natural Balance for your consistency to provide healthy food to our 4 legged children.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Factual basis uncertain

After purchasing Natural Balance green pea and venison cat food, our cat regurgitated his afternoon feeding every day for a week. The wet, regurgitated food actually bleached the color out of some floor tiles and I thought, that can't be good. I switched brands and no more throwing up.

My 2 year old Jack Russell mix has always had food allergies requiring a limited ingredient diet. Most recently with the stress of my being away for a 2 week hospital stay he developed IBS (Intestinal Bowel Syndrome). Putting him on a bland diet didn't really help. My vet said to feed an uncommon protein as well as keeping his diet very restricted. I picked up a bag of Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato & Venison kibble and also the wet food. First off he loves it. He is a picky eater. Second, his IBS symptoms are now gone! He's back to being an active happy dog. This food is everything I could have hoped for.

Factual basis uncertain

I recently switched dog food to the natural balance salmon and sweet potato as I liked the small bite size food and thought this would be good for my Boston terrier. Needless to say, he was on it for 5 days when he developed severe diarrhea. I stopped the food and just feeding him boiled chicken and rice. I will be putting him back on the wellness dog food grain free core small bites. He was on another wellness food and never had issues. Should have done more research, the natural balance food has a lot of negative reviews and there must be good cause for that.

When I adopted my dog several years ago, she was a few years old and came with a large bag of prescription food designed for dogs with wheat allergies. After her first visit, I was informed it was unlikely she had a wheat allergy and was relieved, because the food cost over $50/bag. After she finished the bag, I purchased a more affordable bag of food for her and it made her completely miserable with scratching. Over the next few months I tried several different foods with her to no avail, she was itchy, and suffering from chronic ear infections and digestion problems.

I had just about resigned myself to paying for the prescription dog food again when I tried Natural Balance's Salmon and Sweet Potato formula (my dog had shown a very negative reaction to beef-first and even chicken-first foods, so I knew I needed to go with a fish formula), and it was a game changer. She's been eating nothing else for a few years now and it has significantly improved her quality of life. She has so many allergies, she can't even have treats most dogs can eat, luckily Natural Balance has a dog cookie in the same Salmon flavor that she's nuts for!

I switched my small terrier from Wellness Grain Free to Natural Balance L.I.D. Potato and Duck a few weeks ago for her skin allergies and sensitive stomach. She has done great on it. Her scabby skin is clearing up and her stomach problems are gone. She is also starting to lose a little weight on this too. This is a great food for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs.

Factual basis uncertain

Our 3-year-old English Setter mix was prone to itchy skin rashes. PetSmart recommended the Natural Balance Rabbit and Potato. He did really well on that and we were satisfied. They discontinued the rabbit and potato so we switched him to venison and sweet potato. Soon after, we adopted a Jack Russell-Chihuahua puppy. We couldn't keep her out of her big brother's food and she smelled awful, like cat pee. Bathing didn't help. I started worrying something was medically wrong with her and Googled it, and found a number of reports of Natural Balance making dogs smell like cat pee.

We switched to Under the Sun lamb variety (mixed with an over the counter probiotic powder for dogs since I wanted to stop Natural Balance right away, not phase it out) and after one meal we noticed an immediate improvement. Within 48 hours, she smelled delightfully puppy-like and I'm so relieved the problem was that simple to fix. Wish I'd solved it weeks ago and thought our story might help others get to the root of the problem sooner!

My dog suffered from loose stools on other brands, but after switching to Natural Balance her stools are very firm and easy to pick up. I really like this company. My only complaint is that I would like to see meat as the first ingredient. I also like the unique shape and size of the kibble which is shaped like a flattened disc which encourages dogs to chew rather than just swallow the kibble whole. Overall I'm very satisfied with the results of this brand and would recommend it to others. I really love that Natural Balance has so many flavors to choose from and that they make limited ingredient treats as well. Right now my dog's on sweet potato and venison.

Factual basis uncertain

My English bulldog always suffered from skin issues so I thought switching him to duck and potatoes would be a good idea. After 2 weeks of feeding him this he started to swell. It was 350.00 at the vet, blood work showed low protein in blood. First vet couldn't figured his diagnosis out. It was an animal hospital at that. Second vet told me was a reaction to the dog food. My dog almost died from dehydration and he was bad, didn't move for the whole weekend. So I stopped the food, swelling went down and he looks a lot better. Just beware if any one deals with this with their animal, stop food. He was always on Purina One lamb and rice so I will switch back to that and never use this food again. Almost cost his life and for 61 dollars for a 25 lb bag it is unbelievable. I know all dogs are different but I just am so upset he is getting boiled chicken and rice for now.

Factual basis uncertain

First let me say my 2 small dogs have enjoyed the Vegetarian Formula and I never had a problem. Both my dogs extremely active running their yard every chance they'd get. This past December I purchased the Duck and Potato because it was on clearance at 1/2 price, not realizing the food was being discontinued at my local pet store. The first dinner serving was 1/2 cup. My 12 yr old cockapoo ate it right up. My 7 yr old terrier won't touch it. Within an hour my cockapoo began coughing and choking but nothing was coming up. He coughed through out night and spent the next 2 days in his crate. Won't come out to eat, drink or go outside. His eyes became very watery and his nose was dripping and that horrible cough! He couldn't stand up on his own and was shaking constantly.

On the morning of the 3rd day I realized something was terribly wrong. I began spoon feeding him water and a homemade lentil soup recipe (lentils, rice, carrots and spinach). So here we are 1 month later and he can finally stand on his own. Still shaking but not as bad. He lost 4 lbs out of his original 12. A blanket helps calm his shaking. I have to carry him down the stairs and from there he can manage to go potty. I still give him the soup twice a day and water with 2 drops of chlorophyll.

As I researched the "dog food" industry I have become aware of the human greed in all this. The destruction of animals for our food gives rise to all the left overs that are imposed on our pets. Regardless if it's healthy for them or not. I choose not to support the dog food industry anymore but take the time and effort to create food for them that I know will be beneficial..... PS I didn't bother to return the 2 bags I bought... I threw them away!!

Factual basis uncertain

I found a piece of blue latex in a can I had just opened. It looks like it came from a rubber glove. As you can imagine I was horrified. Grateful I saw it & my dog didn't eat it. Throwing all of the remaining cans I have in the trash. Would donate but who knows what's lurking in there. Shame on Natural Balance for having such poor quality control.

Factual basis uncertain

In the summer of 2015, I switched from Eukanuba dry dog food for my golden retriever to Natural Balance Lamb & Brown Rice dry dog food thinking this would be a healthier food for him as it was marketed as all-natural. I had also noticed PetSmart had significantly cut back their Eukanuba inventory & increased inventory of "all-natural food brands". Although he seemed to like the food, over the next 3 weeks he became violently ill, throwing up several times a week & having continuous diarrhea.

I took him to the vet several times & they could not find why he was so sick. He has been a healthy dog the entire 6 years I've had him. At my vet's recommendation, I switched him back to Eukanuba. He has not thrown up or had diarrhea since! I will never again switch his food & want to warn others if you notice these signs do not keep your pet on this food. I sincerely hope he does not have any long term damage from whatever was in this food to make him so sick.

Factual basis uncertain

My dogs always ate Nature's Balance. They changed their formula last year, my dogs won't eat it. It smells gross? I have 2 small dogs under 10 lbs and now they won't eat dog food. I've tried literally 100, I have to make them food now.

My only issue is you can't find it except in specialty stores. Or they have to order it for you. The food itself is all natural with no fillers and our dog loves it.

Factual basis uncertain

First time I fed my Shih Tzu, this past Thur., less than half the can of sweet potato & fish which she at first turned her nose up but since she was hungry she ate it. The following morning my dog was lethargic, and just to sick to take even water. A rush to the vet where we did a blood test to see what was up. Thankfully we couldn't find any liver or kidney problems. I came home and found she had thrown up the dinner and bile. Thank goodness or else she could have been sicker. She finally took water and slowly got some strength back. This food got her sick and I don't know how you can continue selling it with all the complaints. Don't buy this!

It is a high-quality protein source as the first ingredient, without grains so it is a complete and balanced gluten free dog food. The price is kind on our budget.

Real food, no wheat fillers or byproducts. Good for my dog, decent value, somewhat limited availability. NEVER upsets little guys digestion. No diarrhea or constipation.

Factual basis uncertain

In the ever changing dog food market I wanted to feed my dogs something very nutritious and palatable. We chose Natural Balance's Synergy for our 11 yo Chocolate Lab and 2 yo Pomeranian. They ate the first few kibble enthusiastically. However, after just a few bites they started picking it out and dropping it on the floor. After a couple days of trying to change them over, they refused to eat, developed diarrhea, HORRIBLE gas and vomiting. I called the store where we purchased it and was able to exchange it for their regular food. A couple days on rice and chicken and they are nearly back to normal.

Excellent dog food. Grain free and uses all natural ingredients. On the higher side of pricing, but it is worth the money. Feeding your dog well is probably the most important thing you do for it.

I wanted a brand that consisted of a good balance of nutrients, protein and other essentials from natural products and I found this with Natural Balance.

The Salmon and Sweet Potato is fabulous and the dog acted like it was a treat. The chicken, however, makes for loose bowels even though he loves the taste.

Very good. It has high protein and not a lot of fillers like most of the other dog foods have. It also does not have cancer causing material like the other brands do. Our dog love this brand. Has a lot of fish in it, but they also have a chicken brand. It has helped our dog with his skin. Very good dog food.

I have purchased many of the different dog food flavors for my dogs. We purchase them because they are grain free and use real ingredients. The brand was also recommended to us by friends who own a pet boutique and carry high end dog foods. The food is more expensive, but it last a while and our dogs are worth the cost.

Factual basis uncertain

I bought my cats a small bag of this limited ingredient food over a month ago to try and it was fine. I tried to purchase the same product at Chewys.com where just the day before my purchase was to take place the product was available. When I tried to place my order the product was suddenly no longer available. I call Chewys and they could offer no explanation. So I went to a local pet store and they still carried the product.. another small bag purchased. 3 or 4 days ago I purchased a larger bag from the same pet store and my cats are all horribly ill. NOW I look and see that the negative complaints are blocked although I can still read some. What the heck is going on. I cannot reach Pet Naturals but my cats are having the same issues and I cannot afford a vet for 3 cats right now.... Someone please help. Diarrhea, vomiting... it is horrible.

Factual basis uncertain

I switched from dry food to Natural Balance Duck Cat Food because it was the only food she wouldn't throw up. I had been using it for about 8 months, when suddenly the last two cases looked and smelled foul. They had a gelatinous goo in some of the cans & smelled like petroleum. Chewy.com sent me a free case after the first bad experience, but I'm still noticing it in the 2nd case. After reading all these bad reviews, I'm getting concerned. All my cats now have HORRID diarrhea & the youngest is back to throwing up. I may be switching my food AGAIN. **sigh**

Factual basis uncertain

I have a 10 week old Boston Terrier and had heard good reviews about Natural Balance and my vet also recommended it (over Purina Puppy Chow). So we switched him over a couple of weeks ago to Natural Balance and he went from inhaling his food to eating maybe half of it. He also began nibbling his paws/limbs, warm spots, and a red belly. The major change I noticed was severe mood swings. I didn't think anything of it until I read this forum and I'll definitely be switching. I am angry that a dog food company promoting 'natural' ingredients would so drastically affect my dog's behaviour within a two-week period. Good riddance.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Profile