2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is the brand our breeder recommended. We like the limited ingredients and the dogs really love it. We are very conscientious to buy grain free, but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on the topic.

Original review: April 12, 2019

This food is Natural Balance Duck and Potato that I fed to my first dog. When I got this current dog I continued to use it. It is balanced with all of the necessary nutrients except for dietary fiber. It is somewhat low in fiber. So I also give her Blue Wilderness Salmon or Duck. This keeps my dog's elimination on a regular schedule.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 12 yr old Cocker this food for a long time. Have never had any issues with it. I purchase the 6 oz cans because I understand they are BHP free or not as bad as the 13 oz cans. Hershey loves this dog food! Thumbs up as far as we’re concerned.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

My 20 pound lhasa/silky terrier mix has always had a sensitive stomach. For 10 years I have fed him Natural Balance and he's been through a couple of formula changes with no problem. This most recent formula change has been a catastrophe on his poor digestive system. He's been to the vet twice and has had to have an IV because he was so dehydrated from all of the vomiting and diarrhea. They have done away with the Ultra small bites, so I gave him the small bite chicken formula. He only ate it for 2 days until he got sicker than he's ever been. The vet has him on a Royal Canin gastrointestinal diet and that seems to be helping him. I will never buy Natural Balance again (and I've been a loyal customer for 10 years). I fear that with his age, I will now have to continue giving him prescription pet food. If you love your dog, and I am sure you do - DO NOT FEED THEM THIS NEW FORMULA DOG FOOD.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Do not feed your dog this food. Stay away from their products. They obviously do not care about animals! So many negative reviews all year!!! It poison!!!! We have been buying this brand for over 4 year. My Yorkshire terriers have sensitive skin so this used to be god sent formula. Beautiful coats and clear skin. I’m so devastated that my dog were consuming this food this year. My dog got significantly lighter in weight but I say him eat his food, why wouldn’t he? He’s been eating the same food. I should’ve questioned this more after the venison and sweet potato was no longer on shelves. I trusted the brand and got the fish one.

November Thanksgiving week he started to throw up! Non stop! I stayed home for two days giving him fluids and fresh food. He got better. He was still eating so I was able to help him! We switch food! He stopped being so sleepy and got his energy back! All 2019 I thought he was just decline due to age but his energy is back without this food! He is still dealing with skin problems

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Both of our smaller dogs have been eating the LID Sweet Potato & Venison dry food for years and it was great. I just bought 2 new bags about a week and a half ago and just opened one and fed them from it 1 week ago. By the next morning the smaller dog was vomiting followed by diarrhea. Within 2 days we were at the ER vet with the dog who they thought had probably eaten something. By that afternoon the 2nd dog was having diarrhea as well. By Monday afternoon both dogs were at their regular vet who after taking an extensive history and an exam suspected that the new bag of food was the problem. Both dogs are now being treated for colitis and are slowly recovering.

I contacted the company with the lot # etc. of the bag of food and they denied there were any reported problems with the lot or food. My vet kept digging and found this consumer affairs comment thread with complaint after complaint from people in the last few months who have had the same experience with "new" bags of this food. While we have no clear answers there seems to have been a "change of formula" or something but all I know is my dogs had 1 or maybe 2 meals from the new bag and got very ill. Clearly no one should use this pet food brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

My dog (2yr) has eaten NB since he was 8 mo old. Starting in August 2019 the formula seemed to have changed. He hated the new taste, and lately the food has a more red/orange tinge, a rancid smell, and gives him diarrhea. This company needs to go back to their original formula and straighten things out.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have used Natural Balance duck and potato for my dogs over the last few years. It was recommended as a good limited ingredient dog food. Unfortunately the company that bought it seems to have changed the formula and my sensitive dogs are having a horrible time with it. They added a red coating to the kibble and most recently the color of the canned has changed, texture is different, and smell reeks of bad meat. I'm now searching for a new brand as natural balance refuses to admit they've changed things.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I'm not accusing Natural Balance of anything, I'm only wanting to bring light to an issue my dog has had since I've been feeding her Natural Balance canned dog food. I've been feeding my dog Natural Balance canned dog food for a couple of years now, I learned about the brand while working in holistic pet stores. I also feed my cats natural balance canned and dry cat food. My dog has been diagnosed with bladder stones, cats seem fine, but am already switching the food to make sure they all stay healthy. My cats and dog are my life, I will go without, if that means they are taken care of. Totally going off subject, but anyways, I just wanted to bring light of the bladder stones just to see if anyone else has ran into this problem and bring it to the attention of Natural Balance.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Our first dog (Aussiedoodle) has been on this food since he was a puppy with the breeder. For 6 months he ate this food with no problem, Petsmart recently advised that NB was coming out with a new formula and since the release of the new formula our poor doggo REFUSES to eat and he LOVES eating. The last couple of days he eventually ends up eating some of it and throws it up a few hours later. We are switching his food today. Goodbye NB. I hope you figure out your formula soon.

Not sure about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Natural Balance Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information