Natural Balance Pet Foods

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

About Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2019

I've been loyal to Natural Balance for over twenty years. Suddenly I get a bag of food that is completely different! The size, color and SMELL is very noticeably different. The labels on the bag are the same. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, WTF? We've been paying for your food because we have dogs that require limited Ingredient Diets! Shame on you for changing it without any warning. Poor animals with bloody diarrhea... vet visits... dogs on IV's. There is no excuse for it. Thank goodness I noticed the difference and didn't feed it to my dogs. Problem is now I've got 60 pounds of food I can't use. This happened to me before when I had a dog on Blue Buffalo. They changed the recipe and that time I had a very sick dog because of it. It's really a shame these companies just don't care anymore about the animals. It's all about $$$$ and that's it. Not the company Dick Van Patton started! Shane, shame shame!

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2019

My little 8-year-old pug suffers from severe allergies, I began to feed her with Natural balance (Grain-free fish and sweet potatoes). Never, I give other food to my pet that is not their food. Everything was fine, but a few days ago I noticed that my dog had a lot of gases, his breath smells really bad. I never passed this with any other food, days later my little baby had a severe allergic crisis, I take her to the emergency vet hospital. The first question the doctor asked me, is, "What food do you give your pet? You have to throw it away, that made your little pet sick!!!" I recently, realized that they changed the formula and the food don't have the same quality!

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 12 yr old Cocker this food for a long time. Have never had any issues with it. I purchase the 6 oz cans because I understand they are BHP free or not as bad as the 13 oz cans. Hershey loves this dog food! Thumbs up as far as we’re concerned.

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2019

We have several dogs. 2 yrs ago we switched to this food because our one dog a Shar-Pei was allergy tested and she is allergic to peas and oats. Try to find a kibble without peas. We put then all on NB. It started with a few of my kids not wanting to eat, vomiting occ, itchy dry skin and hair, agitation and lethargy. We had to take our Mini Bull Terrier into the vet for her skin, the first time for anything other than shots or a check up and spay. She will be 4 in April, local reputable breeder. The DR listens to her heart and says "she has a heart murmur". You could have knocked my husband and I off the chair with a feather, we were in shock. She has never had a heart murmur, not since birth or the last time we had her in Oct 2016 for her rabies shot and exam.

I asked if it could be her diet, he wasn't sure. I search out and ordered supplements and a different food, still grain free but meat is first. I contacted NB and I have a case number. In March we will be taking her to a cardiologist and see if we can get to the bottom of this. If this is the fault of the food, I'm contacting everyone. Like I said I'm pretty pissed off right now. Not only is she our baby she is a 2500 dog! Reading all these comments is telling that there is a problem with this food, clearly. Oh we switched to Sport dog from Canada pea free.

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2019

We have been using this food for the last two years, for my bulldog mix. Luckily the clerk at Pet Food Express told us they recently changed the ingredients. This was our first time trying the new recipe, after his first serving, he had diarrhea that night. I gave it to him for breakfast and he had diarrhea all day, even a little blood! I gave him a different holistic food for dinner and he is fine. Normal poops! If the clerk hadn't told us of the switch, we would have kept feeding him the food and he could have gotten worse! It is terrible that Natural Balance changed the formula so much it caused diarrhea immediately. My dog does not have a sensitive stomach and I can't imagine how it would hurt a more delicate dog!

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2019

My dog had been having diarrhea for a while and itchy skin for the longest I could not figure out why. I’ve had him on the same food for many years and after doing a lot of research decided it was time to switch his dog food. I was thinking possibly my dog can be allergic to the food I have been giving him so I looked online at different brands and read a lot of reviews and decided to go with natural balance seems like it had a lot of good reviews. Well after one serving, his diarrhea went away. So I was extremely happy about that. But the following day I started noticing a strong smell of cat pee on him. I thought maybe while I was walking him he may have got too close to a bush that a cat could have been hiding in or peed in.

I also noticed he also has been scratching more than ever. He’s scratching himself so hard I’m worried he’s going to make himself start bleeding. I gave him a bath, the smell was gone and he was happy. I washed all his beds and then about an hour later after I fed him the strong smell of cat piss was back again. Now I’m back online and wished I would have done more research bc I’m seeing a lot of complaints from many other people having this same issue with Natural balance. I’m going to have to stop feeding him this because I can’t take this smell anymore it’s making my house smell too. And this food was so expensive too. Now I'm back to looking around for another brand of food. Why is this food causing this foul odor??

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2019

To all who give their dog this food, STOP. We have used this food for 2 decades and when they changed the formula in June or July 2018 our dog got deathly ill. Thank god for our local pet food store that told me they had changed the formula. After numerous vet appts and medicine and procedures our little girl has finally recovered and it was all about changing her dog food. I'm giving it 2 months to make sure she's 100% before I contact whoever I need to to stop selling this food. Dick Van Patten truly cared about animals and this food had been something we depended on for all our dogs in the past, but not anymore. Please stop feeding your dogs this food.

Reviewed Dec. 30, 2018

I fed the potato and duck formula for over a year. My dog has eaten this food since she was a puppy. Natural Balance is the only food she has ever eaten. Over the last two months she suddenly started to gag and vomit while eating the food. She wouldn’t even finish the bowl of dog food before vomiting. She sometimes would spit the food out too. At first I just thought maybe she started new habit of eating too fast so I got her a slow feed bowl. The problem continued. I have switched food and I no longer have a vomiting problem. Natural Balance must have changed something in the food. I see no other explanation.

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2018

We have two older dogs with some health issues. Opened a new bag and noticed many pcs of the kibble were burned. Why would Natural Balance allow this to be shipped to dogs. Checked and throughout the bag. Who wants burned food. Pretty upset.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2018

After using this product for 3 years with no problem, the Venison & Sweet Potato this past Monday I opened a new bag. It's 4.5 lbs. It looked different in color and size kibble. My dog when I came home from work had eaten all of what was in her bowl. Very unusual. So I gave her a small amount more. She had been fine the night before until 5:30 AM Tuesday morning when she became very agitated. She needed to go out. She will not do the business in the apt. Very loose stool. Three hours later once again agitated. I took her out and her diarrhea was much worse and I could tell she was in pain.

I contacted her vet, she was placed on a bland diet. She's not been herself. Got a different bag of the same food, the vet wanted me to try and give her a few pieces mixed with her bland food after being off NB for a few days. Back to having bad diarrhea. She is now on meds for this. I have contacted Natural Balance about four times in the past few days for answers. All they keep saying is that there has been no change in the formulation, and yes this batch was different in color and size. This was purchase thru Amazon and they have pulled this size bag off their website after I contacted them. This is a problem! New bag, my dog gets very ill... Coincidence... I don't think so!!

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2018

My cat has health issues like hyperthyroid and IBD. I was giving my cat venison food from the vet but soon after I started her on it, it was backordered so I got this NB venison from the pet store. It was easier to get this from the store than travel to the vet so I kept giving it to her. Initially she seemed to like eating it. However at some point she was throwing up more often, to the point of daily vomiting of bile. Then one she just stopped eating. I thought she was going to die. Then I got some of the venison food sold at by the vet and gave it to my cat to see if she would eat it. She gobbled it down. She gained weight (she was scrawny before), and she went from listless to bring & alert. Around the same time that she refused to eat, I gave her a Reiki treatment. It is hard to say what caused this 180 turnaround - she rarely even vomits anymore - but I really think the NB food was bad for her. So be careful before feeding it to your feline sweetheart.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2018

My 15 year old Rottweiler mix has eaten the "Sweet Potato & Fish" dry and wet dog food for just about all of his life. He has severe allergies and this has always been my go-to food even though it's expensive; I've found it to be the best up until recently. As others have noted I recently noticed a color change of the bag and was a little suspicious but didn't think much of it. But now He's puking constantly and when he does manage to keep it down for a few hours, the food is undigested when he does puke it up. He's also had bouts of diarrhea and the worst gas! I mean it's like somebody died up there LOL. It's bad! So bad that it has gotten me researching and looking into this food a little bit more and I believe that the ingredients have recently changed.

Probably at the same time they changed the color of the bag is when they changed the ingredients? I don't know but I believe it used to be salmon in this food but now it's something else and obviously something not very tolerated by my dog so now he's 15 years old and I'm going to be starting like brand new trying to find a different food that works for him. What a way to ruin something good.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2018

I tried all types of can, pouch and plastic tub wet foods for my diva Midnight. She will only eat Natural Balance, grain-free wet food. I mean, the ONLY wet food she will eat. She loves it and has never had any adverse reactions. The bonus is that she loves every flavor of Delectable Delights.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2018

I originally purchased the Venison & Sweet Potato formula because it was free of all the allergens my dog has issues with. Unbeknownst to me the flax seed was switched to salmon, which my dog is allergic to (yes, dogs can be allergic to salmon). I watched my dog slip into lethargy with open sores he had chewed on himself (no vomiting or diarrhea) over the course of 9 months. I thought he was done for at 7 1/2 years old. By happenstance I noticed the ingredients had been switched.

I immediately switched him to a new brand and within a month noticed his energy and vitality is back. Two months later, we have our dog back, full of himself and ready to go on walks. How heartbreaking and expensive this whole endeavor has been. Not only was I paying for expensive food he shouldn't have been eating due to one ingredient change but I was paying for ** to quell his allergy itchiness. On the new food, I no longer need **. Pay attention to ingredients and know that vomiting and diarrhea may not be indicators - but itchy skin may be your clue.

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2018

I just started the new Natural Balance Limited Recipe. My dog has been vomiting every day since I started. He has never vomited on any dog food previously. It started the very first day I gave it to him. Thought he was just sick. Then every day thereafter he couldn't keep the food down.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2018

I started feeding my labrador retriever Natural Balance Lamb and Rice dry dog food because of allergies. This brand was recommended by her allergist. She has had very loose stools for a while. I thought it might take her a little while to adjust to a new dog food. This was not the case! She continues to have very loose stools. I have taken her off Natural Balance and put her back on Just 6 by Rachael Ray. She does very well on this brand!

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2018

Have fed Potato and Duck for more than two years. Got a new bag and the color was much lighter than usual, so was a little concerned that something had changed. And sure enough, my boy started throwing up, then diarrhea and then refused any kibble. I called NB and they claimed there had been no change and color variations are normal since they don’t add color or dyes and their food is all natural. Got a second bag. Same thing - squirting diarrhea like cola out the back end. My standard poodle can’t have anything with peas, so finding kibble is a challenge.

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2018

We have used Natural Balance for almost a decade. Recently all 4 dogs have developed major on-going watery/loose stools. The only common factor with the four dogs (one lives with my sister, one with my parents and 2 with me) is the food. After looking at these reviews I have officially pulled them off NB and moved on to Taste of the Wild. I can’t risk it. My boxer is lethargic and refusing to eat the NB anyway. It was a good run. I hope the company takes this seriously and makes the changes needed to keep our dogs healthy. Right now this food is anything but safe or healthy.

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2018

My 14.5 year old schnauzer choked to death. He had eaten Canidae can food for a while and before that he had eaten other quality can food products. I got him the Nature Balance Van Patten chicken flavor roll and he was dead within a few days. The food was caught in his throat. Apparently he had tried to drink a lot of water to loosen it or soften it to swallow. He didn't make it. We found him dead when we came home. I am beyond devastated. Please if you use this product be very diligent when they eat or moisten it before you give it to them. This loss is forever. The way he died haunts me. I can't explain it. Our love for these babies is undefinable. Losing my child (dog) this way is so hard to deal with.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

Early this AM (around 5:00 AM) July 22, 2018, I had to rush my Bichon Frise to the local emergency pet clinic. He had developed acute diarrhea and followed up with the severe vomiting (bought some dry kibble in the earlier AM and then by later afternoon was completely clear and bright yellow.) The diarrhea was horrid and basically he was going 7 - 8 times that day (yesterday July 21, 2018). The vet took the fecal sample, injected him with **, gave subcutaneous fluid for dehydration, dispensed ** antibiotic. I handed him the plastic bag with both the Natural Balance Original Ultra Reduced Calorie Formula Ultra Premium Dog Food Kibbles and the can of the Natural Balance LID Chicken and Sweet Potato Formula.

I told him I had just ordered another order of these products on July 2, 2018 and they arrived July 5, 2018. I had finished up the other remaining foods (same) until they run out approx 5 days ago. Then I switched to the new order shipment. I told him when I first opened the can it was rather mushy not as firm as normal in the past and had an unusual odor? I also told him that some of the dry kibble did not always have a same/similar odor and varied colors? He said "perhaps you should contact the Chewy.com and either request a refund or replacement as I had been using both of these products for many months without any physical issues until now.”

I feed my Bichon the same exact amount, product and time each and every day. He has not been put into any groomer (I do it). He has not been boarded nor does he go walking the neighborhood (he rides in a doggie stroller). Sooooo, not due to outside "roaming". Even has his own little fenced in area for his bowels and potty. That is cleaned daily. So, I contacted the Chewy.com today, they are sending another batch after they took my information, shall see. Meanwhile he is on a bland diet for at least another 4 days then gradually (ever so gradually) wean him back to the Natural Balance.

Sure is an expensive Dr bill if in FACT it was the food, sure seems odd about the timing for sure. My little Bichon came from an abused shelter many years ago, so I did not pay a fortune for him but I have given him TONS of love... Sure don't want to feed him something that will make him so sick. The vet said if I wanted to check the dog food would cost around $200 on top of the bill. I rejected that, already have a $277 bill.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

Upon the recommendation of my vet, I had been feeding my dog Natural Balance, Duck and Potato for approximately two years due to possible allergies. Since starting her on the diet I had to bring her in for two possible UTIs due to frequent urination and blood in her urine which we treated with antibiotics. Then she developed unrelenting sneezing and coughing which could not be treated with any antibiotics or allergy medicine.

Finally, she refused to eat this food any longer and almost overnight became lethargic and severely dehydrated. In less than 36 hours I had to euthanize her due to her organs failing. There were symptoms of possible pancreatitis or fluid in the lungs. From the information provided recently on the potato based dog foods I would guess this food is what caused her death. These symptoms have been described in many previous posts. I hope this information will help spare someone and their pet from the needless suffering.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

We were directed to this brand by a vet due to our puppy's allergies and it had 5 star reviews across the board until a few months ago. We had been using the Venison & Sweet Potato L.I.D. for over a year before I started to notice my dog was suddenly starting to behave very differently. She would sniff her food and not eat, then whenever she did eat, she would cough/gag. She would cry at me 24/7, no matter what I did for her, she was inconsolable. Constantly needing to pee, frequently squatting. I caught her throwing up yellow bile. When I googled her symptoms, it seemed like she had a UTI or something liver-related. After at least 3 visits to the vet to no avail, I thought to do some updated research on her food again which is when I stumbled upon all these negative reviews with dogs displaying similar symptoms. Thanks to the reviews on this site, we were alerted to the change in owners and formulation.

It's been roughly one week since immediately changing her food with vet approval and giving her a pet probiotic, she is finally returning to normal after this hell of an experience. Will never buy Natural Balance products again. Made my perfectly healthy 2 year old puppy very sick and I'm certain could've eventually killed her if I ignored it long enough. This product should not be on the shelves!

Reviewed July 15, 2018

I started feeding Natural Balance LID dog food 20 years ago and have fed it to all of my dogs religiously since then. They used to advertise that the first ingredient was protein. The name of the food has always been Protein & Veg (Duck & Potato/Venison & Sweet Potato etc.) They’ve changed their formulas on this and the much-loved log roll food, that I used to train all of my puppies until my last one. Protein is no longer the first ingredient, and my dogs don’t like it as much. They have also steadily raised the prices while making the bags smaller. And yes, my dogs too, have started having more episodes of G.I. problems. I am now steadily moving them to a limited ingredient, raw-based food diet. I will stop buying NB as soon as I have transitioned my pups. Dick Van Patten is rolling in his grave, and his heirs should be ashamed of themselves.

Reviewed July 1, 2018

The last bag of Natural Balance Lamb and Rice LID I purchased on June 26, 2018 had all 4 of my dogs vomiting with liquid bowels and very lethargic within 12 hours after eating it. One of my 4 dogs is highly sensitive to any kind of pea protein as a filler in grain free foods so I have been getting Natural Balance dry dog food for her for about a year since it doesn't use any form of pea. The others were getting it as part of their rotation. They all seem to have fully recovered once it was all out of their systems, but looking at other reviews now I'm worried about any long term issues that may surface in the future. I will never buy this brand again.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 13, 2018

My 2 bulldogs have been on this food for years (1 for 7 and 1 for 3) due to food sensitivities. The last bag (Lamb and Rice LID) I purchased on June 8, 2018 made both my dogs sick with diarrhea and GI problems. At first did not realize it was the food. Put them on rice and pumpkin to settle their stomachs. Slowly restarted the food and it happened all over again 2 days later. Due to 5 days of diarrhea I had to bring them both to the vet ($500+ later). My older dog barely is getting up from his bed. After reading some reviews on different sites this seems to be a recent trend with the Natural Balance products. I contacted the company and all they could say was that there was a formula change a couple months ago and that they test for 9 contaminants. Was not very satisfied with their response. Be very careful with your pets!

Reviewed June 13, 2018

I am so sad and worried. I used to buy Blue Buffalo and on the recommendation of my pet store switched to Natural Balance. Recently, my cat stopped eating much of his food, and started losing weight. I was worried maybe his teeth were hurting. I check them and they were fine, but added a bit of water to his food. He started eating it but would then throw up occasionally (Green pea and Salmon). When I went to the store to buy another bag this weekend, they said the supplier is having an "issue" with this formulation and the only one available for me to buy was the Green pea and chicken. He's eating this one enthusiastically, but my trust has been broken. He still seems to be losing a bit of weight as well and it's noticeable for a cat that was at 14 pounds just a few weeks ago. I'm throwing out the entire bag tomorrow and buying a different brand.

Reviewed June 10, 2018

I bought the limited ingredient fish flavor. Mixed it with the brand I normally give her. She started with diarrhea and within 3-5 days would vomit after she ate it. The only thing she is throwing up is the undigested food. Once it’s out of her she feels better. Won’t buy it again.

Reviewed June 6, 2018

Similar to other recent reviews. My dogs have been on this food for all or majority of their lives. I have a senior dog that is 15 and she has been on this food for 8yrs. The last bag I bought (venison and sweet potato is the flavor I have always used) both dogs are refusing to eat and we have had issues with them throwing up after eating. I also plan on taking my food to be tested as it is unlikely that both dogs would at the same time start to refuse food. These are labs who have always been healthy eaters and have also recently had full blood workups. Something in their formula must have change.

Reviewed May 10, 2018

My dog has severe allergies and has been eating Natural Balance Chicken and Sweet Potato for 3 or 4 years now. I have always loved this brand until recently, my dog became very sick, he is not eating and has lost a lot of weight. After multiple vet visits and vet bills up over $1500 come to find out he has high Ionized calcium levels in his blood (all of a sudden). We have never ever had any issues with him. Since the change of ownership and formula my dog has become extremely ill and not sure what the outcome will be. I am extremely overwhelmed with all of this. The vet did tell me to this may have been from his food. I will be submitting his food to test for poison, etc. I wish they would not change something that worked so well for years to save a buck. Now my dog is suffering and it could be terminal. Thanks Natural Balance.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

I love the limited ingredients, grain free and the variety of flavor/ingredient offerings Natural Balance provide. My dogs cannot eat anything 'with feathers' so the sweet potato and fish recipe is perfect for them. We get compliments on how shiny and soft their coat is all the time! We have 2 dogs at 40-60 lbs and the 26 lbs bag lasts us about 3 weeks.

Reviewed April 29, 2018

I have a very large hound that is allergic to everything and also has digestive issues. The Natural Balance limited ingredients brands are the only food she can tolerate. It's a bit pricey but compared to the vet bills it's really worth it. I go through 2 each 26 lb bags a month. I find my dogs are happy and healthy and they enjoy the food.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer Service

Reviewed April 3, 2018

I have contacted Natural Balance asking two simple questions: 1) If the chicken they use antibiotics free. 2) Where are the products made. They refused to answer in writing and insist that they talk to me on the phone. I just do not trust the company that is not transparent. Although my cat enjoys their wet food, I decided to go with other more honest company that has nothing to hide.

Insufficient response received
    Customer Service

Reviewed March 29, 2018

Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison Dog Food - My dog has been eating this formulation for the majority of his life (he is now 11) without issue. With the second to last bag I bought, I noticed he would vomit sometimes directly after eating. I assumed he was eating too quickly and so I began separating his feedings into two portions. With this new bag, he has been vomiting every single time he eats as well as for a few hours after. I am taking him to the vet today. I called Natural Balance customer service and was informed the formulation had changed. I told them I am going to have the food tested and publish the results. They offered me a refund for this bag and I am opening a medical complaint with them after the vet. Food was purchased on Sunday 3/25/18 from PetSmart in Bellmore, NY on Merrick Road.

Reviewed March 21, 2018

When you don't use preservatives sometimes you get worms in the food. Sorry but you cannot have it both ways!! I have personally been feeding several Natural Balance products to my tiny fussy dog for ten years!! When I got him he was not abused, however, the people who had him did not realize that he needed tiny dog food. Eating for him was a horrible experience!! When I finally discovered this food (Mini Chicken & Sweet Potatoe and Venison treats), he went crazy for it!!! They sadly took the rolled tiny dog food off the market, the new one he did not like :(. But we still give him the Jumpin' Stix. He has tooth issues so the food has to be small and soft!! These Jumpin' Stix treats are the best!!

Reviewed March 14, 2018

We recently switched to Natural Balance Chicken and Sweet Potato dry food. We gradually switched using a mixture of old food and Natural Balance Brand. After a week or so, our 7 year old became very bloated and his legs swelled. Concerned because this had never happened before, we rushed to an emergency vet. After blood and urine tests, it showed he was losing protein. Also did an ultrasound and no other issues were found and kidneys looked normal. Due to the amount of loss detected in his tests, he has been diagnosed as severe kidney disease and prescribed medications and a special kidney care diet. I have to question this and had thoughts from the get go that it might be food related.

He hasn't lost any weight and was an extremely active and happy dog before our rush to emergency and even then was ready to play and energetic. Eating eagerly etc. To think that he has severe kidney disease is hard to swallow. $1000+ later of vet bills, tests, plus meds and special diet, I can't help but think it is food related especially after reading other reviews. I will be sure to tell anyone that is thinking to buy this food to try another brand as it simply is not worth the risk! Our story is too similar to other stories.

Insufficient response received
    Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2018

I’m reading the poor reviews for this product and all I can think is “really”? Almost everyone starts with I changed my pets food or I decided to try... First of all changing your pet's food is a process not to be done spontaneously or quickly. It’s a slow introduction process. That’s why your pets are sick. And if your pet has a food allergy you need to read ALL ingredients before introducing the food. One person said he found worms in the roll food. Although not appealing, you have to wonder how many worms your pets eat outside. Natural is natural. This food has been the best I have ever purchased for my pets. They thrive well with no issues. I have a dog with digestive issues and allergies and he does very well with this food. In my opinion the poor reviews are due to user error and not the food itself.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2018

I’ve been feeding my dogs Natural Balance dry Sweet Potatoe and Venison for about 5 years now. I chose this food, because I was looking for the healthiest diet with the least cheap fillers in it, and at the time this seemed to be the best food. They did well on this until September of 2017. They all started getting sick and I contacted the store I purchased it from as well as Natural Balance who assured me there hadn’t been any changes. I was sent another bag and it seemed to be a bit better as their tummy’s calmed down.

In the next few months I started to notice they wouldn’t eat their food all day until they were super hungry at night and would not finish it. In Late November 2017 they all started having horrible gas and bloating and looked like they felt miserable. I called the store I purchased from again and gave them the details and the batch numbers on the bag. They didn’t offer a refund or anything and shipped out my next bag, saying to get back to them after the dogs eat the new bag of food. Well they did start the new bag and the same thing, they didn’t want to eat. I got a call from natural balance again and they said nothing changed, but we’re surprised I was still getting the dog food since they had been back ordered due to a shortage of Venison, hmm.

Nobody mentioned this to me before. By the time I spoke to them, my dogs all has loose stool, horrible gas and were miserable. I stopped the food for a week and have them rice and boiled turkey breast and they seemed a little better. As soon as I started the food back up, they were all miserable again. One dog started vomiting for 24 hrs and having pure watery diarrhea. The others still ate the food a little and were not feeling well. We took in stool samples to the vet paid for blood work, urine cultures and had to have our dog injected with antibiotics and nausea medicine. It was a nightmare. He had us up all night for two days prior to being able to get him to the vet. We live in a rural area and weren’t able to get to our vet until Monday. He is off of the food and is on medicine and hopefully healing.

The other two dogs were still on the food this past week and would not finish it. Now all are having horrible watery diarrhea and gas and we are stopping the food for good. Of course it’s the weekend again and we can’t get them to our Vet until Monday. We have already put a call into our vet about this and are hoping they can help all of our babies. This is so stressful and is making me sick worrying about our babies who we give the best care. All of our dogs are healthy or were before this started happening. Everyone had a clean bill of Health in October with healthy lab work, fecals, and all.

I’m feeling like there’s something Natural Balance is not admitting and it’s slowly killing my dogs. Natural Balance, step up and stop putting garbage in your foods, or sourcing from China if that’s what you’re doing. I’m sleepless, and sick worrying about whether or not my dogs are going to get better. Natural Balance I will be calling you and the company who ships food to us Monday to give you more information on this matter and to express my frustration.

Factual basis uncertain

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2017

After 2 days my dog developed severe diarrhea. This Dry Dog Food is the only thing new that Ichabod Crane has received. I'm very disappointed, I have now read more reviews and the same is happening to other puppies/dogs. Natural Balance why are you allowing this to continue? You know by now what's wrong with what you're selling to us. My dog and other people's dogs are NOT collateral damage!!

What do I advise... Check your plant for contamination, if found clean it up, fix the problem, admit it, apologize and do a recall. Stop buying your ingredients from other Countries. We, I, you, are responsible to make sure that our animals are healthy, feed well and happy. We will not stand by and allow this to happen because no matter how big of a company you Natural Balance are, We will make sure by voicing our experience with your brand that this stops here, that no other animal Mom/Dad will have to watch their fur babies experience severe diarrhea, loss of appetite, throwing up and then multiple vet visits. And unfortunately at times rare but it still happens their death because of your dog food!

Take heed Natural Balance. We have giving you opportunity after opportunity to make this right. You have hurt our babies. Our vet bills are costly. Our hearts are crying, and our patience have worn thin. We are mad as hell and you're not listening to us or our sick dogs. Next step will be a class action lawsuit! I will not let this go. You have hurt my fur baby, my Ichabod Crane, it rips my heart out each time I watch as my puppy/dog cries in pain because his stomach hurts, as he poops his guts out and yelps doing it, as he looks up at me for help.

It kills me because I am and you Natural Balance are at fault, I bought Your brand of dog food believing in your marketing your product, I fed your brand to him and now he's sick. That feeling of failure Natural Balance is on you. I'm a vicious mother when it comes to my little ones!! Fix your mess Natural Balance! I stand by my review and it has been verified. Ball's in your court Natural Balance. Do the right thing. Stop hurting our animals!

No response received

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2017

We have two dogs and three cats and all five of them thrive on Natural Balance food. They ate healthy, their teeth are looking good and digestion is normal. Natural Balance is a great food.

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2017

After a few months my dog will go for a day or 2 and not eat it. Then will eat it once they're hungry. I even change the food in the bowl daily thinking maybe the food gets stale. This also happened with Blue Wolf so we switched to this brand and not sure I want to keep switching to figure out what they'll consistently eat.

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2017

We changed to Natural Balance after seeing the vet when one of our dogs got sick. She advised us that the food we were giving her was part of her problem and we needed to give our dogs a much healthier food to help prevent them from developing the same condition she had. Which for her was fatal. The vet is very pleased with our choice, Natural Balance L.I.D. Chicken and Sweet Potato. Our senior dogs love it and are all very healthy and our new puppy loves it as well. All ages eat the same food so no need to buy puppy food and senior as it is made for all ages. Plus, it's much easier on the pocket.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2017

Natural Balance dry dog food is the perfect fit for my two furbabies. There are several formulas, all with great ingredients, that they eagerly dive into at each meal. I also use the chubs of soft food as a special treat with their kibble.

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2017

I tried different flavors but my yorkies did not seem to really like it. I had to doctor it up to get them to eat it. But they are eating Bil-Jac and liked it right off.

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2017

This a dog brand that I can trust. Good wholesome ingredients, no fillers. My dog eats less than a regular brand and she stays fuller longer. Great bang for my buck and is available in large chunks which is hard to find for large breed dogs.

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2017

I read dog food ingredients without fail as I believe that investing in higher quality food for my pets (just like for me) sets them up for better health and lower doc bills in the long run. Plus they deserve to enjoy their food too! My dog has enjoyed Natural Balance lamb since she was a puppy.

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2017

For me it is the best value I can find in a dog or cat food, and most of my pets have been very healthy, happy, and playful. I live in a high, dry climate, so I have been feeding Pure Balance Salmon and Pea for the omega 3's and the convenience of shopping at Walmart. I recommend it to customers whenever I am in a pet food department anywhere, when appropriate. I have had a lot of pets in my life, and worked in a small pet store for a while in the 90's. The owner taught me a lot about nutrition, and Pure Balance is my choice.

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2017

This is the best dog food I have ever bought... It has good ingredients and is healthy for my pets. I prefer this food over the more pricier ones.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2017

One of our 3 large dogs is a very picky eater, especially when it comes to his dry dog food. I worry about taste, but also about the quality of the food. I've researched my options and when it comes to taste and trusted ingredients, my picky eater enjoys Blue Buffalo and the Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish.

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2017

Dog brand has many choices. I buy only small bites for my dog and I wish there were more choices there. I read the ingredient list and compare brands. This seems to compare to higher priced brands.

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2017

Ralphie [our 11 year old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever] LOVES the taste and I love the ingredients in the can of Lamb - they are all good ingredients and I don't have to worry.

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2017

The Natural Balance pet food is Grain free so my dogs love it, but expensive. Plus I can not always find it. It would be nice if it came in a 50 lb. Bag since I am feeding 2 large dogs.

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2017

She loves this food! As soon as I put it in the bowl she ate it up! Just started using it. Switched from Purina when I went to buy it there were maggots on the bag!

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2017

My dog has food allergies. We have tried almost every brand of food on the market and it either does not help, it makes his problem worse or it is just too expensive for my budget. Natural Balance has been our happy medium for over a year. He likes it and is happy & much healthier with significantly less skin issues now.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2017

I have a cat with a fish allergy. He was doing great on this then his itch attacks started and kept getting worse. I started looking for another food to try and when comparing ingredients, found they added fish oil! I'm so disappointed in this company! They call it a limited ingredient diet, but it's not really. Now trying to find a fish free food that he likes as much as he did this one.

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2017

Worms in sealed roll of lamb and chicken dog food roll - Bought this product made by Natural Balance on the clearance rack of a major pet supplier and I will be returning the packaging. I fed my dog a small end piece before I unwrapped it. Afterwards I removed the wrapping to cut the food roll into portions and found a white worm crawling around in the food. This food seemed packaged well but now I don't know what garbage I just fed my dog. I will be returning the packaging to the supplier for a refund and will be very weary of this brand from now on.

No response received

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2017

It's a great product with the company's high quality ingredients and commitment to keeping our pets safe with their product tests. Would like it to be lower priced but it's worth it knowing the company's high standards!

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 27, 2017

I have a Lab that has eaten your product ever since we picked him up at 5 weeks old. The breeder recommended your brand as a product we could buy in pet stores. He loves the food and (as another reviewer stated) he acts like it is almost a treat. Gunner makes regular vet visits and is lean, but is about 80 lbs. and 25 inches tall. He is only 18 months old now, but has tremendous energy and learns everything so quickly. Thank you.

Reviewed April 3, 2017

I recently found this Dry Dog food at my local global pet foods. My 8+ year old female German Shepherd has skin/food allergies. The sales staff were very helpful in recommending Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. I was using a veterinarian brand which was helping but unfortunately the prices kept increasing. We put her on the Duck & Potato dry food for adults. She loved it. I even started using the kibble for a treat. Unfortunately the Ducks was out of stock 2 times after returning to purchase more. I was told the manufacturer was having issues supplying the Duck.

The representative for Natural Balance gave me a free 4.5lb bag of Bison Sweet Potato to mix in with her leftover dry Duck. She has had no issues switching over. She looks forward to meal time & I'm thrilled with their products. Thank you Natural Balance L.I.D. for making food available for sensitive skin/food allergies that don't break the bank and still allow pet owners to spoil their 4 legged family with peace of mind.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2017

My cats love this stuff, it is the limited ingredient formula. I have 3 cats, all of them love and I've had no problems with it as far as reactions. The cats eat the "green pea & duck" flavor that has no fillers or additives. It keeps them lean and healthy.

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2017

The quality of good ingredients is why this is my favorite brand. The quality in its safety is outstanding. I never worry about recall contamination with Natural Balance. I highly recommend it to all pet owners. Your pets deserve the best!!

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2017

This dog food is probably one of the very best dog foods available out there today. Is it worth the price you have to pay? If you have the extra income to be able to afford it, yes it is then you wouldn't have to work as hard as I do to feed them as nutritionally, but much more economically. I buy a very good dog, but much cheaper and it doesn't have enough nutrients to meet my dogs' needs, so I meet that with dog safe fruit, vegetables, grains, and protein, which I buy separately and prepare myself and mix and freeze with the dry dog food that I buy. It usually takes me a two day weekend to cook, mix, measure, and individually divide into containers each meal for 3 weeks of feedings for 2 Great Danes, but it saves me hundreds of dollars.

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2017

I like the fact that there is sweet potato and venison. The venison is an animal that is unusual in dog food and there is less chance for allergies. There isn't any filler or bi-products. My dog really likes it and has eaten it for years.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2017

Natural Balance is my go to dog food because it's not full of chemicals, coloring, and things I don't think is healthy for a dog to consume. My dog loves it and it looks and smells like actual food. My only problem is that it's sometimes hard to find, but lately seems more stores stock it. Great product.

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2016

I have 2 cats, Abbi and Lea. Abbi was vomiting and retching a lot so I took her to the vet. After a number of tests, blood work, meds, and $1,000.00 later, I took the advice of a friend who worked for the Petsmart Banfield Hospital and called a woman who rescues animals. Lo and behold I was told to switch her to a grain free food. She recommended Natural Balance. Well I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when Abbi stopped the vomiting and retching. My other cat Lea never had a problem but she is also on Natural Balance. I will never go back to the other products on the market.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2016

Since the company has changed ownership, the formula has changed dramatically. The first ingredient now is sweet potato. It now causes all of my dogs to have serious digestive problems and bad body odor. I have been using this same products for 10 or 12 years and am sad to see that the product Dick Van Patten had worked so hard to formulate, has been downgraded to cheap junk that makes dogs sick. I knew this would happen one day, but wished it would not. I am a dog trainer and recommended it to all of my students and anyone I knew that had a dog that had allergies or food issues. Now I am having to move yet again. When you have a good product, why not leave it alone, especially when it sells. I was feeding up to 8 dogs at one point. Now I cannot even handle watching how upset their systems are using this food.

Factual basis uncertain

Reviewed Nov. 23, 2016

Let me start by saying I'm not a crazy vegan trying to push my diet on my pet. I got my Momo in 2002 as a 3-month old puppy who was dumped on the side of the road with her litter mates in farm country where there is no dog shelter. She was some sort of lab mix and my then boyfriend (now husband) and I loved and doted on her then as we do our own biological children now. We believe if you take on the responsibility of adopting an animal you do so for life and you have a responsibility to give them a quality of life. Around 6 months of age, Mo started obsessively licking her paws and belly until she was bald and raw and she constantly scratched herself. The vet confirmed she was free from fleas and any other parasites. I knew dogs that got heat rash and would lick but our dog was exclusively indoors except for leash walks. This is when the internet was really growing and I worked in IT so I started reaching out online.

It seemed her allergy had to be systemic and I became certain it was diet related. I began cycling through diets - raw meat, home cooked, you name it, but she still suffered. You read a lot today about dogs allergic to grains, but back then I stumbled on a few articles about dogs allergic to animal protein. That would explain why she hadn't improved on any of the homemade diets. I searched for a vegetarian formula dog food and the only one available at the time was this one from Natural Balance. Only problem it was a specialty food at the time and hard to find. The closest store that sold it was 100 miles away. Buying online and having it shipped was cost-prohibitive for a 60-pound lab mix. Thankfully, there was one pet store in my hometown (about 200 miles away) that sold it. Since we visited my parents regularly, we decided to try a bag the next time we visited. All of her symptoms cleared immediately.

Initially my vet thought I was absolutely bonkers, but year after year at Mo's annual checkup, he would look her over and comment on how great her coat looked and ask what I was feeding her. After a few years he stopped looking shocked when I reminded him that she was on the vegetarian food because of her allergies. We made stocking up on dog food a part of our visits to my parents. Around the time Mo was age 11 or 12, Petsmart started carrying Natural Balance and I couldn't have been any more ecstatic. Other companies started coming out with vegetarian formulas that seemed more palatable but they just don't seem to have the same high nutritional content.

We finally had to say goodbye to our Mo this past April after 14 years which is pretty amazing for a large dog. We truly believe that her food contributed to her overall health and longevity so our new puppy also eats Natural Balance (though we give her the slightly cheaper kind with animal proteins). Thank you for providing a quality food for our beloved family members.

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2016

This food I have fed Charlie my 3 year old English Bulldog his whole life. I swear by it. This food has different flavors, grain-free and has not caused any skin allergies to him. When I first got Charlie he was very sick and when I went on the bully form I saw readers feeding this food to their dogs. I would not change anything about it. We just introduced a female Rotty to our family and she is on the same food as well. Thank You Natural Balance for your consistency to provide healthy food to our 4 legged children.

Reviewed Sept. 14, 2016

After purchasing Natural Balance green pea and venison cat food, our cat regurgitated his afternoon feeding every day for a week. The wet, regurgitated food actually bleached the color out of some floor tiles and I thought, that can't be good. I switched brands and no more throwing up.