2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (203 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Both of our smaller dogs have been eating the LID Sweet Potato & Venison dry food for years and it was great. I just bought 2 new bags about a week and a half ago and just opened one and fed them from it 1 week ago. By the next morning the smaller dog was vomiting followed by diarrhea. Within 2 days we were at the ER vet with the dog who they thought had probably eaten something. By that afternoon the 2nd dog was having diarrhea as well. By Monday afternoon both dogs were at their regular vet who after taking an extensive history and an exam suspected that the new bag of food was the problem. Both dogs are now being treated for colitis and are slowly recovering.

I contacted the company with the lot # etc. of the bag of food and they denied there were any reported problems with the lot or food. My vet kept digging and found this consumer affairs comment thread with complaint after complaint from people in the last few months who have had the same experience with "new" bags of this food. While we have no clear answers there seems to have been a "change of formula" or something but all I know is my dogs had 1 or maybe 2 meals from the new bag and got very ill. Clearly no one should use this pet food brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

My dog (2yr) has eaten NB since he was 8 mo old. Starting in August 2019 the formula seemed to have changed. He hated the new taste, and lately the food has a more red/orange tinge, a rancid smell, and gives him diarrhea. This company needs to go back to their original formula and straighten things out.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have used Natural Balance duck and potato for my dogs over the last few years. It was recommended as a good limited ingredient dog food. Unfortunately the company that bought it seems to have changed the formula and my sensitive dogs are having a horrible time with it. They added a red coating to the kibble and most recently the color of the canned has changed, texture is different, and smell reeks of bad meat. I'm now searching for a new brand as natural balance refuses to admit they've changed things.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I'm not accusing Natural Balance of anything, I'm only wanting to bring light to an issue my dog has had since I've been feeding her Natural Balance canned dog food. I've been feeding my dog Natural Balance canned dog food for a couple of years now, I learned about the brand while working in holistic pet stores. I also feed my cats natural balance canned and dry cat food. My dog has been diagnosed with bladder stones, cats seem fine, but am already switching the food to make sure they all stay healthy. My cats and dog are my life, I will go without, if that means they are taken care of. Totally going off subject, but anyways, I just wanted to bring light of the bladder stones just to see if anyone else has ran into this problem and bring it to the attention of Natural Balance.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Our first dog (Aussiedoodle) has been on this food since he was a puppy with the breeder. For 6 months he ate this food with no problem, Petsmart recently advised that NB was coming out with a new formula and since the release of the new formula our poor doggo REFUSES to eat and he LOVES eating. The last couple of days he eventually ends up eating some of it and throws it up a few hours later. We are switching his food today. Goodbye NB. I hope you figure out your formula soon.

Original review: July 13, 2019

NB Sweet Potato & Fish Kibble. I have been feeding my 2 Jack Russell pups this food for the last 5 years, but I noticed a change in the food quality. Last year I noticed the food was lighter in color so I called the company and they said it was a batch that didn't get the "fish coating spray" so bring it back to the store and get another one. I did and the color was better. The last bag I bought I noticed little white hard things sticking out of the kibble! I called the company and they said it was fish bones that had gotten through into the food and that their quality control deemed it safe to consume. She told me if I wanted she could send me a coupon for a free bag that it only affected the batch with the sell by date of March 2020.

I went back and bought a smaller bag with different exp date and it seemed ok. Now I am out again so I went to the store and bought a big bag this time with a sell by date of April 2020 and now this bag has the same pointy bone fragments in it again!! I will be looking for another dog food.... There has been too many negative changes since Van Patten sold the company. So sad...

Original review: July 1, 2019

I’ve had my two chinchilla silver persians on venison & green pea LIT since Nov 1, 2018. I purchased the last bag June 2019. Best Buy date 05 2020. #9080 028 41214. I noticed a huge change in color so I went on NB website. A chat box appeared so I let the company know of my concern. She said everything would be fine as each batch could be slightly different?!!!

The following day my cat had horrible diarrhea. This time I called the company direct. I spoke with the same customer service rep who chatted with me the previous day. She asked me to throw the kibble away and she would send me a voucher for a new bag. I went to Petco and purchased another bag thinking I possibly got a bad batch. Color was still the same. Neither of my cats had diarrhea from the next batch although I noticed both of my cats were having issues with their vision!!! I immediately took them off this kibble and started them on Fromm.

I’m also questionable that NB has put adequate amounts of taurine in their food as lack of taurine can cause retinal degeneration in cats. This doesn’t happen overnight. It can take 5 months to a year! Something is horribly wrong with this food and so far I’m not seeing a recall. Amen for ConsumerAffairs! PLEASE STOP FEEDING YOUR CATS NATURAL BALANCE UNTIL WE KNOW MORE!!!!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Our 17 pound dog Cairn Terrier mix has been eating this dry limited ingredient dog food for a very long time. A few days after we started a new bag - and there were changes in the size of kibble and the color of the food and smell of the food - our dog started vomiting blood and diarrhea blood. Vet put him on a diet of white rice and boiled chicken, along with some meds, and his issues cleared up. Now he's back on the Natural Balance LID food for a few days and he's vomiting again and soft poop. I'm removing this food from his diet and putting him back on the rice and chicken before he gets any worse. I can't say in certainty that the food is causing his illness but I'm not taking any chances. If you are having these problems too, I'd love to know about it and how your dog was treated to recover. Thank you.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs the Natural Balance Chicken formula. I have had my boxer mix not wanting to eat her food and it's getting worse. Recently I bought a new bag and noticed the smell coming from it. Thought nothing of it, just thought it was me. My boxer went 3 days refusing to eat it, we thought maybe she had a bug and switched her to homemade chicken and rice...after several days, returned her to the food slowly mixing it in with the homemade chicken and rice. In the meantime my dachshund was eating it, four days in he started vomiting and we put him on the homemade chicken and rice after that.

Again, thinking that now he had what the boxer had (used this food for several years and not noticed a problem so why would we think it was the food). Now I have both of them pooping without control and the boxer wouldn't eat this morning and now is throwing up. Decided to Google the food to see if there has been any recalls and found the reviews and the problem with this food....Why isn't it off the market.... TAKE YOUR DOG OFF THIS FOOD!!!!

Original review: June 20, 2019

My gentle Sammy has been on the sweet potato and fish formula for about 5 years because of her allergies. Over the past month she has been off her food and lethargic. At first I attributed it to the loss of our life companion. I would augment her meals on and off with chicken and rice to get her interested. But she’d leave most of the kibble. She wasn’t eating, smiling ... upset stomach,diarrhea and seemed feverish. My poor, loving girl.

After much worry and trying all sorts of combinations I have narrowed it down to the kibble. She’s on home cooking now to help her to. How can this company and the pet store not warn the consumer about a change in formula or possible contamination? I am now aware of recalls for contamination. The bag may say packaged in the US, but there is NO information where the ingredients are from or where it’s made! Their irresponsibility could result in serious illness and deaths. I will never return to this brand, and will “spread the word”. Heading to her veterinarian specialist and Hopefully that she will recover.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information