Kirkland Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am involved in pet rescue therefore have dogs of different breeds and different ages. I switched to Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato due to the bad publicity that Beneful was receiving. (Rather than wait for a problem, I decided to be proactive to avoid a problem.) Sadly, switching caused the very problem that I was trying to avoid. After being on the food for eight months, four of my dogs have had bloody, gel like, loose stools. The excrement is bloody and very foul in smell (not a normal odor). These same dogs have been eating grass and have since refused to eat their food. A person had donated IAMS food to me therefore I decided to feed the dogs exhibiting these symptoms the IAMS rather than the Nature's Domain, to see if it would alleviate the gastrointestinal problems.

After two days on the food, the diarrhea has stopped. Now I have two dogs vomiting bile. I plan to take all of my dogs off of it immediately as I am now convinced that it is the food. My dogs are all healthy; followed by a vet. This has been an "out of the ordinary" situation that has me convinced that it has to be the food as nothing else has changed for them.

We have a purebred pitbull terrier who has been eating the Kirkland puppy food chicken and rice formula for 4 months now. He seemed to be doing OK on this formula, until we had purchased a second bag and started noticing pretty alarming symptoms in our pup. He started becoming very depressed, followed by lack of energy. We had just had a new baby, and assumed he might have been feeling a little left out.

But then, our pup started having very, very loose stools and straining very hard when he had a bowel movement. Then his condition progressed to vomiting. While all these symptoms began showing, our pup had extreme gas, to the point I was stinking up the whole house. I contacted our vet, who recommended feeding him rice and yogurt mixed.

After 4 days of this, he started to get better. No vomiting, no gas, was passing stool and gained his energy back. Tonight we decided to try our pup on the Kirkland product again, and like clockwork his gas came back, and had a runny bowel movement. I decided to look up reviews on this brand of food, and came across alarming reviews, with many pet owners describing the exact same symptoms our pup is showing, and the common denominator being Kirkland dog food.

Per the above negative reviews, the original recall was in 2012. The recalled dog food has been off the shelves for several years now. I can tell you I have two dogs, a German wirehaired pointer & a short haired pointer, both eat the Kirkland Signature Domain Turkey & Pea stew in the red can. I mix it with the Kirkland Signature healthy weight dry food, use a 3-1 ratio of wet to dry. They love the food, and flatulence doesn't seem to be as much as a problem as there was with other brands (well at least for one of them). Anyway as we all know, all dogs are different & react different, but I would say, if you're hesitant to try the brand because of the 2012 recall, don't be. I hope the helps.

I want to know if any ingredients come from China! I would switch the food types around - all being the Kirkland's Nature's Domain. First salmon, then turkey, then beef because I know that switching them up can help if a dog has skin problems which we were trying to sort out. He was on Nature's Domain for two years. When I ran a search online for reviews of the beef today, it is now completely gone from the Costco website which makes me wonder why. When the vet had me put him on a vegetarian diet a month ago, his hair around his eyes and the latest skin problem filled in nicely. He was accidentally fed some Nature's Domain on an out of town trip recently. Two weeks later I noticed his lymph glands were huge. I took him to the vet and now he's got cancer. I'm now feeding him chicken breast with a tiny bit of brown rice and that's it. I don't trust these dog food makers anymore. I love Costco but this is horrible.

Nature's Domain Beef and Sweet Potato dog food - I have a Westie I began feeding this dog food to. I had always fed him Science Diet but was trying to find something less expensive so I switched to Kirkland's brand. Big mistake. After a few weeks on it my poor boy began having stomach issues, itchy skin and dragging his bottom on the carpet several times a day. Vet said it was the grains in the food making his bottom itch, thus the rubbing it on the carpet. Completely grossing me out! Needless to say I switched his food back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

I have been feeding Kirkland Signature food and Nature's Domain food from Costco for over 10 years. I show and breed Bernese Mt. Dogs and Portuguese Water Dogs. Previously, they were one of the best foods on the market. All of my dogs were doing very well with healthy weight and shiny coats. In 2016, something changed. I have a 6 year old PWD with irritable bowel and extremely thin. This cost me a vet bill of over $5,000.00. I had to start cooking food for her to get her through. Anytime she gets a hold of the kibble, she starts to vomit again.

I used to have to feed 1.5 cups of Kirkland Signature food to each of my Bernese 2 times a day. Some would even get a little fat so I would substitute green beans to bring them back down. Now, they are so thin, I have to feed 2.5 cups a day and some of the dogs are on 3 times a day and still thin. This has never happened in the past and never with so many of my dogs. My PWDs are thin as well.

Several of my friends who feed Kirkland Signature and Nature's Domain are also experiencing the very same problems as I am. All of us are from different states so not just from one area. I have contacted Diamond to ask what has changed and they told me that the only change has been the addition of probiotics. I do not believe them. I have been feeding probiotics for 20 years and no issues.

I am now forced to look into a new food for my dogs as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Diamond. I have asked for who I need to write to at Costco Headquarters to report my issues as I thought that Costco strives for excellence in anything they put their name on. I don't want my concerns to be brushed under the rug by Diamond. I am now NOT recommending any of their foods. And if you do feed it, you need to watch for waste volume, loose stools, irritable bowel, vomiting, loss of appetite, and overall thin dogs.

We had two Goldens, my male started having digestive issues and my vet recommended switching to Salmon and Sweet Potato formula. I feed my dogs the same food. It did seem to help my male with his issues but my female just passed away today. I don't know if there could be a connection to her feed or if it was her age? She was 9 years old. Now wondering if I need to have the food tested?

This is by far the best food we have ever given our dogs. Have been feeding 3 dogs, one has since passed, and have never had any issues and the dogs love it. Their stools are always firm and they can't wait for meal time. I have friends who spend so much money on raw and specialty foods and it seems they are always at the vet with some issue. I will always stick to the turkey and sweet potato because it has been great for so long. I can't recommend enough.

I have been feeding Nature's Domain pet food to my 5 yo and 1 yo dogs their whole lives, and our 5 yo cat, and they love it! I constantly get compliments on how soft their coats are, the vet always compliments me on their weight and they are really good looking dogs (lab and catapult breeds, both about 45 lbs.). I use the turkey can food for a special gravy treat, which I warm with warm water. When I go to the pet store, I look at the prices of regular Diamond pet foods, and snicker that I get their bags for almost half the price. I honestly think this is the best pet food for them, and wanted to share, since I have been feeding it to them for so long, and raised both my dogs from 8 weeks old, and they are so healthy!

Wow... just realized that EXACT same time, 2 years ago, also had problem with Diamond/Kirkland dog dry food. That is odd... Anyway, same thing: bought 2 bags of Kirkland Chicken and Rice in September. No problem. Bought 2 bags of Kirkland Chicken and Rice this November--dogs all have diarrhea. I have a pit x 18 month old. She is foaming and diarrhea all night. I will take her to the vet asap. The non-Costco/Tractor Supply Diamond Chicken and Rice (same formulation? Different batch?) I bought in October since I live so far away from Costco... no problem with that one.

One other odd thing recently/last 6 months: TWICE when I lifted the dog food off the Costco pallet pile to load in my cart... the bag(s) opened at the bottom seam and spilled out everywhere. I told Costco store in Rancho Mirage (who didn't care). But I am wondering if the Western States Costco Distribution are letting the food sit in the heat which is affecting the food AND the packaging (i.e. the glue of the seams). This is why America is in the state it's in. No one cares. I called Diamond Customer Service (800-442-0402). She didn't even know about dog food review sites like this where I said there was a lot of recent concern and similar dog symptoms resulting from their food.

Kirkland Beef & Sweet Potato dog food - This food was on sale and it looked healthy so I tried it on my 5 year old papillon/shepherd mix. After about a week or so I noticed a lot of panting and hypersensitivity/yelping from my dog. I just took the food back and bought his old food pedigree. I hope he'll be ok.

I have been feeding my dogs Kirkland Weight Management (grey bag) dog food for a few months now. My female dog started putting on weight, so I cut back the amount she given. Over the past week she a dog that hadn't had an accident in the house since she was about 6 months old suddenly had 3 very large accidents in the house. Her breathing became labored. She became very lethargic. Next she started vomiting water & white foam. She was drinking a lot of water but it wouldn't stay down & she stopped eating.

I took her to the vet yesterday 12 days before she would turn 7 & when they ran the blood work they said she was diabetic, anemic, her kidney function & levels were low & that she also had pancreatitis. My poor baby girl had to be put down before turning 7 & when I got home my male threw up & has since been throwing up bile & foam. My vet bill for my girl was $465 & I couldn't save her. I'm pulling the rest of the food & trying something different for my male. Hopefully it's not too late for him??? Someone needs to be held responsible if the food they're selling is causing all these medical issues, vet bills & deaths for us loving pet owners.

I have been a loyal Costco shopper since they established in Las Vegas, NV. I rescued our German Shepherd, Bosco, when he was just 9 months old. I fed him Kirkland's Lamb & Rice from the day I brought him home in 2005 until March 2016. As he got older he was not running with me anymore and started to get heavy. He also ate extremely fast. I was advised by a breeder/trainer to put him on a diet, so I switched him to Costco's Nature's Domain grain free (red bag) and used a maze bowl to slow down his food consumption. By July his weight was down substantially. I thought the diet was working.

In the months that followed he began eating entire plants in the backyard with roots and all. Then he began having diarrhea constantly. On October 31st, he stopped eating, could not hold anything down and became lethargic. On November 2nd we lost him. He had a massive tumor in his abdomen, was bleeding internally and did not have any remaining platelets in his blood. Bosco had just had a clean bill of health in July. He was strong, smart and the best friend anyone could ask for. Although he was almost 12 years old, We thought Bosco had a couple more years left in him. His passing was so unexpected and has left us devastated.

Our other German Shepherd, Aspen, is about 2 years old. Before we adopted her, she had been abused by previous owners, which caused us to think that her vomiting and persistent diarrhea was due to a combination of her anxiety. Sometimes, she will go multiple days without eating, which we have noticed more frequently since Boscos death. We assumed that she has been depressed since she is also not as playful as she used to be when Bosco was around. I can't help but think that she has been trying to tell us something this whole time. After reading these other reviews, each sharing similar experiences with Nature's Domain, I feel tremendous regret for not seeing the signs sooner. I will be switching dog foods immediately, but wonder if, had I done so earlier, Bosco might still be here today.

Hey people wake up. The dry dog food you giving your dogs is spoiled... Why because these stores do not rotate their food, they don't sell the food fast enough it just sits. I had the same issue with my 2 dogs… Buy your food from a pet store, Petland Discounts, etc… They sell the food faster it does not sit in the warehouse in the heat!!!

Our German Shepherd has been eating Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon kibble for approximately 1 year with no issues. He is an EPI dog (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) which in a nutshell means his pancreas does not produce the enzymes necessary to digest food, therefore, he must have a pancreatic enzyme supplement with each feeding.

We opened a new bag of Nature's Domain a few days ago, and our dog started getting the runs right away. At first I didn't connect it to the new dog food bag because this dog's digestive system can be sensitive, but now my suspicions are leaning in that direction because it's the only different thing that happened with his diet. By last night he had huge amounts of mucous diarrhea and mucous vomiting multiple times. This is extremely unusual for him. I am wondering if anyone else in Ontario Canada has experienced anything similar with Nature's Domain/Costco dog kibble? Mine was purchased at the Oshawa, Ontario store.

Five of my dogs have been on Kirkland Natures Domain salmon and sweet potato for at least 6 years. Two of my dogs have horrible allergies (I'm talking ear infections monthly, skin infections monthly, etc). After I switched from an allergy free food that cost $100 for a 30 lb bag to Natures Domain salmon, we had no more skin or ear infections! The ONLY concern I have ever had was three of my older dogs seemed to develop fatty lumps all at the same time, but that could just be a coincidence because of their age.

As we all know, dogs get sick sometimes, but if your dog or cat has been on a food for several years with no issues and all of a sudden gets diarrhea/vomiting, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's their food right away. I've had a bag of this food before give all my dogs diarrhea, I chalked it up to "it's probably a bad batch," took the bag back for a refund and got a few other bags with a different batch number.

It happens. It's dog food and is not as highly regulated like human food. I love this food for my dogs. It's affordable and VERY comparable to other high quality expensive dog foods like Natural Balance, Wellness etc. I buy 3 bags a month; I have purchased HUNDREDS of bags of this dog food and I will continue to do so. I highly recommended it, especially for allergy dogs.

I was both relieved and alarmed when my google search for "allergies to Kirkland dog food" resulted in this page! I had a hunch it was this particular food that was causing our lab's issues and after reading everyone's posts, I am very concerned. My dog has been suffering with a sudden onset of food allergies for about 6 weeks now - vomiting but mostly really bad diarrhea. We have been with the vet, running tests, on the phone, trying everything we could think of to solve this issue. Previously, my 8 yr. old lab ate everything and anything - no issues.

After putting him on home cooked chicken and rice for a while, it cleared up so we slowly started to introduce his foods - but the diarrhea always returned. We had not only the Lamb and Rice kibble, but also the combo cans of Lamb and Rice and Chicken and Rice wet food... Both by Kirkland AND the Kirkland Dog biscuits. The only combination that has stopped our dog's diarrhea was to take him off ALL Kirkland products as the symptoms continued after we stopped the kibble and wet, but still gave him the biscuits. Our only conclusion is that ALL the products are tainted. I'm with Jeff - Costco needs to make this right.

I've had my 2 year old on the same dog food from Costco since he was a baby. Starting early September 2016, he started experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and lethargy. Spent over 2k on testing, everything came back normal. Switched him off this stuff and within 24 hours he was better. The dog food for August and September 2016 is bad. There's nothing wrong with it as there are hundreds of the same bad reviews.

We have been feeding Kirkland Natures Domain dog food (blue bag) for a few years with no issues. This past month (October 2016), it started giving two of our three dogs horrible digestive issues. We took them off of it after a few days of explosive diarrhea 3-5 times a night and throughout the day. It would pour out of them and they lost a few pounds. $150 in vet bills doing stool samples and exams. The vet said one other person had been in complaining of issues with the same food in the past week. We switched to a chicken and rice diet and the digestive issues cleared up immediately, aside from my dogs poor raw butt. We took the half used bag and another full bag back to Costco and were refunded in full. Never buying this junk again. Beware.

My 7 year old Westie was on the same food his whole life but we decided a few months ago to give Kirkland food a shot since we love all of their products. The first bag was the Salmon Flavor, and we had no issues so we bought another bag of Kirkland, this time Turkey Grain Free. Within a week or 2 of him starting it he started throwing up and having Diarrhea. It has progressed over the last week and a half and he hasn't eaten even one bite of food in 8 days and he drinks very little water. He barely walks now. I returned the Costco food and bought him his old food but he's still not eating. I have tried giving him everything I can think of, things he usually goes crazy for.

I have been to the vet 3 times in 7 days and have been given 4 different medications. I had a blood test done and it came back normal. They said the next step is ultrasound, but honestly I can't afford that, I am already $700 in the hole and have gotten nowhere. Has anyone had the same situation where they had a blood test come back normal and then get the ultrasound and were able to find something out that way? Maybe my little guy has the same thing and I can suggest it to my vet to try to treat it. I just feel so bad, my poor young dog is dying right in front of me and I can't help him. I hope Costco pulls this food off the shelves so it doesn't poison any more dogs who still had years to live their lives.

My 9.5 year old Great Dane had been eating Kirkland Lamb and Rice for 6+ years without any issues. On 9/27/2016 I purchased another 40lb bag at Costco in Laguna Niguel CA (Cabot location). Within 2 days he had diarrhea really, really bad. Prior to this he had not been ill for at least 5 years. I started him on a rice and boiled chicken diet and after 7 days he was back to normal. On the 8th day I mixed in 1 cup of Kirkland Lamb and Rice (same bag) and within 10 minutes the diarrhea started again.

There is no way this is a coincidence. When I visited the store and inquired, and requested a refund, I received a blank stare. No apology, no refund, no solace. I was going to chalk this up to simply a bad batch of dog food but I'm petrified after reading all the VERY recent posts on not just the lamb and rice, but the grain free food as well. COSTCO - we ask, do the right thing. Audit the makers and suppliers of your pet food. There are just too many instances for this to be a coincidence! Is it going to take a child to accidentally ingest for you to do something?! #petlivesmatter #Ducati #wakeupCOSTCO

I have 3 dogs on the Kirkland Natures Domain and occasionally the lamb and rice. They have been on it their entire lives. In September my cats who are on the Kirkland maintenance cat food and my 3 Labradors all refused to eat... The dogs were on the Natures Domain Yellow bag at the time. One of my dogs has never recovered. He stopped eating and drinking, going on 4 weeks now. I have had him to the College and a private Vet, no abnormalities. He just will not eat and drinks little. IV fluids and some bits of chicken and ground beef occasionally. I am trying to nurse him along but he is not improving. After reading these reviews and some outside stories, I would STOP FEEDING KIRKLAND pet foods.

I am not sure what caused this to happen to my beautiful, healthy 6 year old dog?I Switched to Victors per my breeder and the other two are doing great. I shop at Costco... but I am totally out on the Pet food. I did a formal inquest with Costco and they just say that there are no other problems etc, etc but after reading this blog I think they are lying.

After reading all of these reviews I'm just feeling terrible now. My dog was on a higher end dog food or home cooked dog food for about the first 6-7 years of her life, but we then switched to the Kirkland brand Nature's Domain. She primarily got the chicken or turkey blend. Right before she turned 9 she had a vet emergency and was eventually diagnosed with a liver tumor. I was able to sustain her miraculously for 3.5 more years using mostly homemade food and natural medicine.

But now, I'm sitting here thinking about my cats who were also primarily on Kirkland brand cat food and they both ended up dying from kidney failure within about a year of each other. It seems hard to believe that all of this is just a coincidence, especially with the cats. They were all more elderly at the time but in retrospect they really started going more downhill after starting the Kirkland foods. They both got very skinny which at the time I just attributed to getting older but one of my cats was formerly overweight so it was much more noticeable. I only switched to this food with the increase in our family size over the years and the expense of the other foods I was previously purchasing. Plus, I've liked other Kirkland brand products and it was just easier to get the pet food while making a trip to Costco for other food items.

If it was in fact the food that caused my pet's health to decline well before it otherwise would have and also cost me thousands of dollars in vet bills, I'm going to feel awful. I wish there was a way for me to know for sure but with all of these other reviews and links to this food, I find my own story way too 'coincidental.' It's hard to believe that it wouldn't be related to this food. This just makes me feel terrible and so sad.

On same food for years, he is 3 now, no prior issues. This last Aug, Sept 2016, and even after switching food, testing done food allergies switched to numerous kinds foods, still same issue. Is there any good food for food allergies???

We were feeding our Lab Kirkland's Nature's Domain Grain Free Turkey and he began getting very ill. After spending $500 at the vet to learn they could not find a problem with him, we switched his food and he has been great. Now we are watching my daughter's dog who has been profusely vomiting for 4 days only to learn the food she left with us is the same food! She has also spent $500 on vet bills to find "nothing wrong". Is Costco trying to kill our dogs? Why aren't they recalling this product and warning people?

To start with, my cats hate this cat food. They like everything, but I have to trick them to eat it. Today, the wet food had a large, about 2 inch by 1 inch piece of plastic in it! This is horrifically unacceptable.

Unbelievable that COSTCO has allowed this horrific situation to continue for what looks like almost a year, without warning customers/issuing an immediate recall and responding at the very last with an offer to reimburse vet bills and compensation for emotional distress and the loss of a beloved pet. This is an appalling example of more corporate greed. One person mentioned that in Europe, the company would have been shut down, at least until it was inspected. America is under corporate rule. My little Maltese whom I rescued a few months ago, had the dry heaves several times weekly. Then the vomiting began. Watery eyes, with discharge. Yesterday she vomited up lots of bile. I got online and this page popped right up. I wondered why she always seemed to eat the Kirkland food very reluctantly. Our dog do know this nasty, fatal secret. Class action, anyone?

I purchased the Sweet Potato and Turkey Nature's Domain from our Costco in October. I did not feed it to my 4-year-old yorkie mix until April of 2016. She was on Nature's Choice most of her life and did great on it. However, it was getting a little pricey because we went from a double income to a single income, and I generally love Kirkland products. After researching the ingredients, I went ahead and gradually mixed it into her diet. She was a healthy, pampered, well-exercised, very loved dog. One evening in May, a couple hours after eating her dinner, she started screaming/yelping, and came running down the stairs. We thought she might have been electrocuted because of the way she was seizing, eyes bloodshot and bulging out of her head. We drove straight to the emergency vet and she died in the car on the way there, about 15 minutes later.

At the vet, as we were saying our goodbyes, our 6-month-old schnauzer mix puppy threw up a large semi-solid chunk of food. We don't feed him Nature's Domain but he is a fanatical eater and steals food away from our dog any chance he gets. And that night, he got into the pantry and went to town. We thought the vomit might have been from the stress of the situation. Then that night he peed in the middle of our bedroom (he hadn't had an accident since he was 3 months old) and was acting a bit strange. Again, just thought it was the stress. Then the next morning around 5 am, he threw up again - this time watery vomit. I took him out to go potty and when he came inside he began seizing too. We rushed him to the vet and they were able to get his seizing under control but they continued every couple of hours for 3 days. We were so hopeful he would make it.

After paying over $3000 in vet bills, he died from the after effects of the seizing. His lungs had filled up with liquid and he was struggling to breathe. He drowned to death in his own body. For the longest time we could not figure out what had happened. We went through every single substance in our home and neighborhood along our daily walk path with a veterinary toxicologist and found nothing. The multiple vets we saw all agreed it was something they ate but there was NOTHING out of the ordinary about that day. Our cat was fine and although she loves dog food, she would never touch the Kirkland dog and stopped eating the Kirkland cat food after about a week of finicky eating. Now we know why.

DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR ANIMALS. It took us 3 and a half months to finally figure out it was the food, even though it's so obvious now. I was blinded by the fact that I love Costco and trusted that they have high quality standards for their products. People need to know and someone needs to be held accountable for killing my babies.

I just wanted to say that I have fed my dogs the lamb & rice as well as the mature brand for years and never had a problem. My last three dogs lived to be 11, 12 and 12 1/2 years and all past away due to old age. I have fed all my cats the Kirkland premium as well as the feral cats & kittens and no problems. I got on this site because I was going to change the dog's food to grain free, but looks like I'll stick to what's working well at the present. I will say that my neighbor did buy her dogs the salmon and sweet potatoes brand and her three dogs are no longer with us today.

We fed my 7-year-old Golden Retriever Nature's Domain food consistently for six years. I opted for the food based on Costco's reputation, the manufacturer and content. Two months ago, she stopped eating it very suddenly. She tried different flavors and finally two weeks ago, stopped eating the food again. She could barely walk and would only lay on the rug in our hall. Normally, she's a typical Golden and is bouncing off the walls. We rushed her to the vet to find out - after extensive testing - that she has acute renal failure and will now have to be on a modified diet and medicine for the rest of her life. She's only 7 and has been in great health prior to this incident. Our vet said he believes the damage is most likely due to her food. She never snacked and largely an inside dog. By process of elimination, we've determined it was Nature's Domain as it's the only thing she eats.

It breaks my heart to know that I opted to feed her food that put her in pain and compromised her life. I have formally complained to Costco and Diamond Pet Food. I don't know if that will do any good. But, I feel like I need to share my experience with others so they know what they may encounter if they feed their pets this food. I'm very disappointed as I've always trusted Costco to deliver quality goods. It's worth exploring other food options, especially if you want your pet to life a healthy and fulfilling life.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Profile