3.13/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Kirkland Pet Foods

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

515 Kirkland Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We have been using the red bag (Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato) dry food for several years. A few years ago they weren't carrying it and when I called I was told that they hadn't been able to negotiate a new contract with their supplier. A short time later the grain free became available again and we bought it. I was told it was essentially the same formula. We switched to grain free because our mixed breed dog frequently developed a rash that looked somewhat like prickly heat and she was miserable. A dog breeder we ran into at a pet store told us that her dogs with the same problem did better on grain free food. She was the one that suggested the food at Costco. When we made the switch we gradually added the new food to the old and she made the transition with no problem.

Her dermatology issue improved to the point where we discontinued giving her ** every day. I am so sorry to hear about the deaths/injuries that others have had.

I hope that anyone who has had that problem took a sample of the food to Costco and if available the bag. Improper storage at some facility could have been the culprit. Of course there could be a food incompatibility too. If you are considering a switch maybe just giving a small amount and see what happens might be a safer bet?

Regarding the tumors that have been referred to. We are a pretty big family (extended) with dogs, cats, etc. There have been other family members whose dogs have developed tumors, benign as well as malignant. There have been several different brands of dog food used so I'm not sure I would think that the dog food is responsible. Of course I acknowledge that anything is possible and I don't want to negate the feelings or belief of those who have had this occur. Well, as a too chatty old lady, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth that we have been very satisfied with the Costco dog food.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We have been giving our English Mastiff the dry Kirkland brand for 5 years and all was well. When we got a Frenchie we chose to feed her the same food since it was healthy and affordable. Less than a year later she went into liver failure from what we thought was canine hepatitis. She was given a few weeks to live and switched to liver specific food from another brand. To our surprise, she recovered. Not even 6 months later and our Mastiff, who was still eating the Kirkland food, began showing the same symptoms. After several tests it is confirmed that she also is in liver failure. I couldn't believe that both dogs had the same thing even though they were different breeds! After some digging I found all of these terrible reviews and it all makes sense now.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have 2 dogs who are on Kirkland Domain Salmon and sweet potato and love it. They are healthy, high energy, healthy weight dogs. Their coats are soft and silky. I’m a loyal customer. Bonus on the price of about 60% of compatible brands. The industry reviews online are above average for quality content. One review said “Costco’s hidden gem but not for long.” and I Agree!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

First of all, I need to comment on a review from a few weeks ago. Someone rated this food as 1 star because their dog died with a tumor?! Really?! Based on 0 evidence? (Or at least none "presented.") If there are moderators, that review should be removed! Why not blame it on your cleaning products? Or the electrical fields from your iPhone? Or bad vibes? Will the car you drive get a similar review with the same reasons? In any case, the ingredients here look good. I have a family member who has used this a long time. My mutt loves it. My Wheaten terrier, who struggles with any variation in diet, seemed to get an upset stomach more when eating this. Less when we switched off of it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Nature’s Domain. My hubby bought this blue domain dog food from Costco Burlington Ontario home and said it looks like a really good food. So I Fed the food we usually feed and half blue domain turkey and salmon to My dog 10 years young who has always been healthy, Within 3 hours she started to heave like she wanted to throw up. We just thought she would throw it up. As I sit with her comforting her hoping she would throw up Her stomach blew up bigger than the size of a beach ball and was hard as cement. Then she died in my arms within 35 minutes this all happened. Now it could be a coincidence. I don’t know. But I would never feed this food to something I loved so dearly. I am so heartbroken and miss my old soul. She was a terrific companion. I feel I let her down. I had no time to take her to hospital. It happened so fast.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We’ve used the Kirkland premium dog food for 13 year years on our black lab who passed away this week. We fed him this dog food all his life with the additional dinner scrap every once and a while not often but about 8 years he started to develop tumors. Not saying the food is the cause but who wants to see the tumors pop out but he was in a healthy environment. But I don’t think it helped. Next black lab I have we will go a different food route.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My 16-pound "teacup Rottweiler" loves this food. It's a Healthy Weight dog food and since putting my dog on it, he has lost 3 pounds. He does not eat all in one sitting, her more crazes all day much like a cat would.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Costco is the main seller of Kirkland dog food. Their Healthy Weight Chicken & Vegetable formula is one of the lowest fat content foods on the market. With most other brands our dogs exhibit signs of allergic reactions, but not with this Kirkland formula (and we have tried many others). I wouldn't change if the other foods were free.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Would like the food healthier with less chemicals added, more nutrition, less by-products. All consumers of dog food can now see that it is better off getting dry dog food with higher protein and dried vegetables in it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My dog eats it with no issues such as stomach or vomiting. It seems to agree with him. Plus I read it is ranked number 4 among mid-priced dog food which is affordable for my budget.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Previously we tried Eukanuba, Blue Buffalo, Purina, and couple of others. But we settled on Costco's "Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato" dog food. We currently have two large Airedales (100+lbs each) but previously we have had as many as four at once. These are four-footed family members and we try to do the best for them that we can. (Best care, best food, best vet, best quality of life, etc.).

Why do we use the Kirkland? In descending order of importance: a) They love it and eat it more readily than any of the others. b) Their coats are visibly better, and one dog has stopped having skin problems after feeding the Kirkland for a month. c) Looking up its nutritional content it is very high compared to the other "premium" dog foods. d) (This one does not matter to me because our Airedales are like our "four-footed children" and it seems to be the best one for our pets, but I'll give the reason anyway...) It is significantly less expensive than both the Blue Buffalo and the Eukanuba which we had been feeding for many years. If we were to find another food which performs as well for them and which they preferred we'd swap to it, no questions asked.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Dogs think it is okay versus delicious - but Purina give one stomach blisters that does not happen with the highly rated Kirkland. I buy the Healthy Weight version which is probably why they don't love it - but it is definitely healthier.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I went from Purina ONE to Kirkland salmon and found a huge difference in my pup. He does not eat as much to get full and his coat is softer and fuller. He seems to enjoy the food more also.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This highly rated dog food has good ingredients, is very readily available at Costco, is priced very well for the quality, my large Labrador ate this food eagerly. I fed the weight-control blend.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Kirkland brand dog food is a good value. The ingredients are comparable to all premium dog food. My dogs like the flavors salmon & sweet potatoes, Turkey & sweet potatoes & new beef & potatoes. And it has added vitamins & supplements added. They also have a weight management if your dogs are a little pudgy. I stick with the grain free variety but they also have chicken & rice that is even a better bargain. Kirkland dog food is available at Costco. These bags are 35 lbs. So bring your muscles.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Kirkland dog food provides the best ingredients for the price which I can afford. There are many dog foods which cost more but don't provide the better and healthier ingredients for my furry family member.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We started our dogs on the Kirkland brand for weight quite a few years ago. One of our dogs responded to losing a few pounds, however, our other dog did not so we had to start him on Hill's Prescription Metabolic Dry Dog Food.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I choose the grain free selections at Costco which are fabulous nutritionally, my dogs enjoy them and they are 40% less than equivalent other named brands.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Bulk shopping is convenient. And the pricing is always an issue when shopping for dog food but their ingredients are good for the dog. I haven’t been overly particular regarding what I feed them concerning vs what I can afford.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I purchased the food over a week ago and was surprised when my 3 year old, 4 pound Poodle stopped eating Taste of Wild and started eating the larger nuggets Nature's Domain with my 100 pound Rottweiler. She has no problem chewing the larger nuggets. Furthermore, I have not noticed any changes in either dog and I saved money from the more expensive brands...

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Best quality dog food and terrific price, compared to any other canned dog food available. Only trouble is that there is no Costco nearby. I have to drive over 60 miles to the nearest store. Then I have to buy several cases of the dog food and store it. That's just OK. Wish Costco had more outlets.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I buy the Kirkland brand dog food because it seems to have the best quality for the value. It is grain free, has all the proteins, fats and other nutrients that keep it competitive with the other top brands such as Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

13 year old Maltese and two Shih Tzus (3 years old) on diamond naturals for years. We got Kirkland Signature from Costco, the Super Premium Lamb Rice and vegetable. The dogs didn't want to eat the food. It was left uneaten all day and my older dog ate it after I put warm water. My senior dog had seizures two days in a row after two days on the food. His lungs filled with fluid, organs failed, and he died from heart failure a few days after that. My other two dogs are vomiting bile and refusing to eat the food.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Just purchased (11/6/17) Kirkland Nature's Domain Beef/Sweet Potato for the first time for my 14 year old Aussie Shepherd mix & my 6 year old Lab. I'll be returning ASAP. It made my 6 year old sick and had constant diarrhea. She had to go outside every hour to hour & half throughout the night, having diarrhea each time. She only ate this twice in 2 days. I started giving her some cooked chicken by itself and she has been fine now for 24 hours. She has never reacted to any dog food before now. Since this was so extreme for her, I started looking for reviews on this brand and here we are...very scary to hear about all the dogs going to the vet and even dying from this!!! What is going on Costco?!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato Dry food - We have been feeding our pup this since we got him 6 years ago. I was so surprised to see all the negative reviews. He loves his food, never throws up, has normal stools, has the sleekest coat. I highly recommend this dog food - we don't keep it in the bag - we have a large Tupperware tub that holds the whole bag and scoop it out of there twice a day.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Maria of Tamuning's review, dated June 30, 2017 was almost identical to what happened with our Boxer over the past eight days. Have been feeding her this same dog food (Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food) for 3 years without incident. The last bag, purchased on the 22nd, looked and smelled different than before. Within 48 hours of eating, my dog was vomiting, drinking large amounts of water, very lethargic and no interest in eating.

By Monday morning, she was rushed to the vet and labs showed kidney and liver readings off the chart. He had never seen readings so high, in his entire years of practice. $1,700 later, she is making a slow, but steady, recovery. For a while, we thought we would lose her. The vet said, that if she had been a cat, that 7 of her 9 lives would have been used up with this episode. She is still on a battery of medications, which will last an additional two weeks. We will no longer be buying this Costco Dog Food!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We were very satisfied in the beginning! Roscoe really enjoyed it at first. It has been folded up and kept in a dry place, just opened it up to scoop some food out for Roscoe and realized theres mold growing on the food?!?! Stated to be good until June 24Th of 2018. Very dissatisfied and wondering any other time I wasn't checking the food prior to feeding my poor baby. Will not be buying this product again. Please check your food prior to feeding your precious babies.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have tried Kirkland canned dog food twice now. Once when we first adopted our dog a few months ago from a rescue and just recently. Our dog likes the taste and eats it right up, but it causes him to have very loose stools and stomach upset. The first go round I figured it was because he had spent two weeks in the shelter and would settle down. We tried a few other brands and settled on one that has worked well. We ran short on food and still had almost a full case of Kirkland so I fed him twice today and he again had watery stools and also puked. Fortunately Costco has a generous return policy. I will return the food for a store credit and then go back to the other brand. The dog food may work well for other dogs, but our dog must be reacting to something in the food, maybe the brewer's yeast? If your dog has a sensitive stomach beware.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

We recently adopted a senior Pug that we have known for years. Her previous owner thoughtfully bought a 40lb bag of this food (Kirkland Salmon and Sweet Potato Dog kibble). I assumed it was her regular diet, but she doesn't like it. As our other two Pugs were used to sweet potato and salmon kibble from a more expensive brand, we transitioned all three dogs to it. They weren't eating well so I started making food for them. That got old and expensive, so I started mixing the Kirkland food with what I made. As I began to increase the kibble, one dog threw up repeatedly and her stomach growled for hours.

My elderly, blind and somewhat crippled Pug, Freddy, has megaesophagus so I hand feed him chicken and vegetables. He missed kibble (he barks at the bag) so I fed him the Kirkland from a raised bowl and held him upright so the kibble would get to his stomach. After two days on this food, he has diarrhea and is vomiting. I decided to research this food and found these reviews. I can only hope that no permanent damage has been done to my dogs. It's back to their original diet after a couple of weeks on chicken and rice!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I had a healthy 11.5 yr old Border Collie who would still run 6 to 20 kms with me each day. Also a 4.5 yr old Great Dane x Cane Corso. I was told by a guy at work that Kirkland dog food was good and less expensive. So I looked it up said 5 out of 5 stars and same ingredients. So I thought great I'll save money. Big mistake. Within 2.5 weeks both dogs started acting different. Wouldn't eat. Wouldn't run as far.

I thought it was the heat. I went to do my 12 hr shift. My 13 yr old daughter called me crYing saying somethings wrong with Sable. I left work. Rushed her to emergency. The vet test and said pancreatitis. Gave her meds and pain killer because she was in pain. The vet said they've had lots of problems with that dog food.

Got her home. Changed the diet to rice. Was doing ok for a day and a half. Then took a turn for the worse. No energy. Couldn't breathe. Touched and she would wrench. She wrenching in pain while on pain killers. How bad is that. I rushed her to the vets. My young dog got sick but fought it off. My best friend of 11.5 years. I had to put down into much pain and wouldn't be able to pull through. Do not use this food.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information

www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use