2.72/5
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

529 Kirkland Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I decided to switch my dog to this brand of dog food because I like Costco and I know they usually have very high quality products. Well this one caused my dog to have difficulty breathing and to develop an extremely inflamed GI. tract. My dog didn’t develop these problems until she started eating this food. When it first happened I thought maybe she had eaten like a sock or something so I took her to the emergency vet because she was acting as if she was struggling to breathe. That was a $600 vet bill just for X-rays and for some medicine. They said the X-rays showed that she had a very inflamed gastrointestinal tract and there were lots of air bubbles in her stomach. They had me put her on a bland food diet for the next 5 days.

When I put her on the bland food diet she stopped coughing and seemed to be doing better (at this point I hadn’t figured out it was the food doing it to her) so I slowly started mixing the Kirkland brand dog food back into her diet. Well guess what she starting making the same noises like she couldn’t breathe and $500 more X-rays/ultrasounds later, same conclusion that she had an inflamed gastrointestinal tract.

So at this point my vet and I determined that the food was the only variable that was affecting her behavior and health so I took her off of it again. This time just switching to a different brand of dry dog food and she hasn’t had any problems since. The part that irks me though is that I contacted the company and they are putting hoops up and roadblocks everywhere possible and not returning my contact attempts and saying they never heard from me. Because they are trying to avoid reimbursing me for my vet bills that I had only because I fed my dog their product. But what makes me the most angry is not that they won’t reimburse me but because their dog food made my dog very sick (and from reading other reviews my dog is not the only one that has gotten sick) and it makes me enraged that they aren’t doing anything to check their product and there are other dogs out there probably eating from the same batch my dog did and getting sick also.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I did some research and found some Diamond pet food reviews with my dog's same exact symptoms. He is a 5 year old Lab. Been on Nature's Domain brand since he was a puppy. But this last bag is when we had problem. He had been showing us his tummy for a while till finally I noticed a rash all over. He is a beach goer so we assumed it was the ocean. He began to be lethargic. Didn't want to eat (he eats everything always). He started throwing up everywhere. Took him to the vet. Everything seemed ok with his labs. Gave him antibiotics. He still was vomiting and had diarrhea. Wasn't himself, no energy, etc. Thought it was the heat. Took him off the food. Gave him chicken and rice. The vomiting and diarrhea stopped but energy was still nothing. Tried to give him the food again but he ate it reluctantly and never finished it. That's when I stopped. Knew something was wrong. He is not as sick but energy level not up to his old self.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I worked at a vet clinic about 4 years, I've seen first hand the destruction some food brands can cause on a dog. I've seen dogs come in on the same day with their kidneys and livers nearly 3 times the normal size... Some weren't fortunate enough to go home and snuggle in their favorite bed with their favorite humans. Again all coincidentally had nothing out of the ordinary happen in their lives other than switching to the same food brand. Luckily it wasn't this Kirkland food brand I am writing about today, although there is only one brand I can name that I have seen dogs have nearly the same reaction to: Kirkland mature dog chicken, rice and egg formula. Now I'm baffled at the owners who said after weeks of their dog eating this product they noticed something different about their dog... That is pure negligence on their part if you ask me because I noticed the negative side effects within moments of my dogs first bowl.

My 13 year old boy seemed to love the food, Costco quit carrying his previous bag so I thought I could trust the same branded food with nearly the same ingredients. Boy was I wrong. His bowel movements from one bowl have only gotten worse to the point which blood was present in his stool. After 3 weeks of closely observing and controlling his diet he's finally showing some sign of improvement. I felt a monster this whole time.

I'm not trying to say this dog brand will kill your dog. I'm just trying to put out my personal experience with the brand and am trying to point out this may be the brand for your dog, even if you're comfortable with it because they had already been obviously enjoying their other Kirkland brand without showing any signs of suffering, sickness and flat out fatality (like other reviews have experienced). Never again will I even consider any of the brands Costco has to offer. They played with fire and used my dogs life as their bet.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Just had my 8 year old lab mix pass away. She'd been acting a little different these past couple of weeks, we just thought it was the weather or that she was just a little under the weather. Then yesterday she wouldn't walk. We took her to The vet and within 15 min. She went into cardiac arrest. The only change I can think of is that we just purchased a new bag of dog food @3 weeks ago. I've used this food before so didn't think anything of it. But the vet kept asking me if there was anything in our yard she might have eaten or drank. The answer was no, nothing new. Now I'm convinced it had to be her food. Just want others to beware.

Original review: May 17, 2018

For almost twenty years I have fed my dogs the Costco Kirkland Chicken, Rice and Vegetable dog food. It's rated four out of five stars by the independent Dog Food Advisor. All the way up to last year I was also feeding my puppies the Costco Kirkland Chicken, Rice and Vegetable puppy food to my puppies. That is rated 4 1/2 stars out of 5 by the Dog Food Advisor. Unfortunately last year they stopped carrying it at our Costco and they went to their Nature's Domain Puppy Chicken and Pea. Although rated four out of five stars, since that time I have three one year old puppies that I have kept to be hopefully added to my breeding program. They have been on this new puppy food their entire lives along with three litters of puppies sent out to clients that had their puppies raised on it. Many of these breedings have been repeat breedings which previously have had no issues. Until this year.

All three of my puppies that I have kept that were feed the Nature's Domain puppy food are ten pounds underweight and below breed standard in height! Two puppies that I have sent home, although they had their hearts checked before they left my home and both parents have had their hearts cleared last year by a specialist approved by OFA, have heart defects. One passed away at ten months old. The other is declining and is expected to "drop dead at any time", according to the doctors at Pullman University. Although the first thought is yes, these things happen in any breeding program, I am seeing more of this within the past year than at any time before in my 11 years of breeding Labrador Retrievers!

After reading several articles about peas, it seems to make sense that the new dog food is the culprit. According the the articles, "Once lectins from the peas are in the blood stream they can attach themselves to tissues such as joints, thyroid, pancreas, and the intestinal villi therefore blocking the absorption of nutrients at a cellular level. The body’s immune system can then send out antibodies to attack the protein along with the tissue it is attached to. Researchers believe this inflammatory process can lead to a multitude of inflammatory diseases including thyroid, diabetes, arthritis, and cardiovascular disease." I will no longer purchase, nor recommend to my clients to feed the Nature's Domain food and would be happy to switch back to the Kirkland Chicken, Rice and Vegetable puppy food if our Costco would go back to carrying it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: May 1, 2018

I recently purchased the Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food, as a recommendation by my dog's Vet. As I was preparing to scoop a cup, I noticed a white pill inside the bag. This immediately made my heart sink. I read the etching on the pills and it read, **. I looked up the pill, and found it that it is a painkiller, anxiety, chronic pain, and depression for humans. To say the least, I am outraged by the quality control of this company. I will be reaching out to Costco and Nature’s Domain about this issue. I’ve never had an issue with Kirkland products and thought it was a reputable brand. After reading the reviews about this product, I found that dogs were getting sick, losing hair, suffering from dry skin, and blindness. Do not purchase this product for your loved pet.

Original review: April 19, 2018

In Brief: Found dead maggot(s) in can of Kirkland Lamb and Rice dog food when opened new can – Code: KLRD 10:30 - Best by Jan 16th 2020. Called American Nutrition who I am told make and package can dog food for Costco and left a message for someone to call me back, they have not. I took the can in question back to Costco and showed them the maggots. Make sure you check the food as the maggots are easy to miss if not paying attention. Have been using this food for years. I now question is some of my dogs stomach problems may have been caused by bad food.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We've been feeding our dog for about 8 months, the Salmon & Sweet Potato formula. She went blind in February. She was perfectly healthy before this. Anyone else have vision loss after using this brand of food. I'm sick if I caused her to lose her sight because of this!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have always trusted the Kirkland brand, so when we got our corgi puppy, I switched her over to the Kirkland Nature's Domain puppy food. On this food she was having diarrhea a lot and sometimes bile vomit. The vet found no issues. I did not think it was the food since I thought it was a quality brand. Finally after 3 months on the food, my poor dog was losing hair, had a dull coat, was not wanting to eat, became very lethargic, was losing a lot of weight and vomiting a lot. I decided to do some research on the food at that point since she was not willing to eat it and had a massive throw up incident in the middle of the night on our bed. That is when I found all the terrible reviews for the Nature's Domain food! All the bad reviews had description of the ailments my dog was suffering from. It was an a-ha moment where my dog's behavior all made sense.

After that, I decided to switch her over to Canidae Limited Ingredient dog food for sensitive stomachs because I thought it might help her digestive issues (vomiting and diarrhea) and it had wonderful reviews. As soon as we switched her food, she started doing so much better. Her coat was awesome, she was eating again, her poop started being normal, she gained much needed weight and she had her energy back. Once she bounce back, I realized how poorly she really had been doing and I felt so bad since I had chosen that food. I just warn people who are looking to use this dog feed to be aware, it truly made my puppy very sick. I do have to say Costco was amazing with the return. I returned a half used bag and let them know it was making my dog ill and I received a full refund!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a purebred Male German Shepherd who is 15 months old. When I was in Costco a few weeks back, I briefly noticed that they (just like SAM's Club) carry their own brand of dog food. I snapped a couple of photos of what I was interested in, compared to what he has been on since he was able to eat dry food, & figured I'd do my research when I got home and decide from there.

Now as I'm sure there are far more that don't do their fair share of research before making a decision, y'all can skip this and move ahead. I planned for TWO YEARS, for this dog - just as one would, if not MORE, than when children are brought into this world because Arco is my CHILD! I researched the best foods, flea & tick medicines, vets, pet beds, everything you can imagine all the way down to my OWN LAUNDRY DETERGENT.

I joined countless GSD groups and forums to be sure I was 10000000% prepped for him when he was finally mine! I picked him out when he was 2 days old because there was such a HUGE waiting list for this particular breeder because she is what she claims to be. Arco doesn't come from a puppy farm, he wasn't bred from overbred parents, I know because I STALKED this breeder knowing I would have him from the day he took his first breath until the moment he breaths his final breath is this world. GOD willing it will be 13-15YOA+.

Moving on. I did my research and as I know from working with the general public, the ones who have things to say are usually the ones to say them... And 12 times out of 12, they are negative comments, nagging, they just wait their voices heard in some way shape or form no matter what the outcome/result may be. I'm not that kind of person but let me tell ya what, always I do my research. ALWAYS. I wasn't instantly sure about Natures Domain but as I kept digging I noticed that they are produced by the same manufacturer as TOTW (Taste Of The Wild)... Which is what Arco has been on since he switched from his mother's milk to dry food AT THE BREEDERS. (Schell & Kamper.)

I've had a GSD before but she was on Buffalo Blue (Diamond Supply Company) and that was 4-5 years ago and let me tell you what, I look at Buffalo Blue and wonder HOW I ever gave them business. Countless recalls. Countless sick dogs. Countless terrible reviews. In saying that, I am 100% aware that TOTW currently holds far worse rating across the board than Natures Domain (for those nit-pickers out there). Aware.

I decided against better judgment after physically printing out the two list of ingredients and comparing to what he was in TOTW High Prairie Puppy Formula. Yes. Puppy. Male dogs are considered puppies until they reach 2YOA, & purchased Costco Nature Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food 35 lbs. We finished that bag up rather quickly and this time around I decided to try the Turkey Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food 35 lbs. I am 1/3 of the way through the bag and I walked in my home today after work and decided that I have had it. WE ARE DONE. I immediately went to Tractor Supply and purchased TOTW High Prairie Puppy Formula 30 lbs in HOPES this fixes Arco. $10-$20 difference won't make or break me and it shouldn't you either. If it does, ask yourself this," Why do I even have 2 mouths to feed."

Arco's last vet appointment he clocked in at 120 lbs at 13.75 months old. Healthy as a horse. Has had all UTD shots. He is in daycare 2-3 days a week socializing with OTHER GSD of his own and thriving. Dr. ** praised me on how healthy I've kept Arco and what ATTENTION to detail I have with him (HUGE honor to even receive a compliment from him). His coat is perfection, nails are "Tough as Nails" so on... & if I was to ever get rid of him he offered not only to take him and love him but to double what I paid for him!!! Dr. ** Lives on 1000+ Acers with Cows, Bulls, Horses, Australian Shepherds, 3 Irish Wolf Hounds THAT SLEEP IN THE BED WITH HIM, you name it!!!

The first time I ever took him to see my vet, Dr. ** (who is highly ranked and has been practicing in his field 40+ YEARS) knows my grandparents and my parents... cracked a little joke with me, well really AT me, and said, "Why did ya buy into that whole grain-free nonsense? Surely you're much smarter than that and you know it's a gimmick? Do your research." He handed me a sheet of paper that I still have in Arco's files on why I should or shouldn't be feeding my dog Grain Free Foods. Raw is the way to go, gotcha! But Raw Is EXPENSIVE! And I'm not a vet!!

Today, March 20th, 2018 Arco, my sweet doodle, is losing CHUNKS OF FUR right and left like he has cancer. He can barely jump onto my bed anymore, I have to help hoist his back legs up... which I don't even like touching his precious hips because, AGAIN he is treated with the utmost care. He is my baby. Arco has lost 15+ pounds in a matter of 30-45 DAYS!!! Unfortunately I attributed it to adding an extra day into his week, daycare wise, and they truly work him out. He is so tired when he comes home. It's all he can do but to eat and drop himself into his XL PLUSH Serta iComfort Cooling Orthopedic Bed. His allergies have been SHOT. Eyes are leaking right and left & they haven't ever done so before unless he had an ear infection (2 times and he's on year round ear drops to alleviate the chances of him catching one). LETHARGY like I've never seen it before in my LIFE. It's terrible!!! I wouldn't feed this food to my worst enemy.

Again. I am VERY aware that they are produced by the same manufacturer BUT just because ingredients are "LISTED THE SAME" on the TOTW list vs. the Natures Domain list doesn't mean that they are the SAME!!! There is NO WAY IN HELL you can tell me, much less CONVINCE me of such because I know my Arco and I know what he's been on since he could eat & I am sadly aware they are produced in the same plant but maybe not the same environment. The same processing method.

I'm so disappointed and wouldn't stop and take an hour out of my day to write this review, if I didn't want you guys who read this to make the same MISTAKE that I have. As a fur mom, as a GSD owner, as Arco's mom... DON'T SWITCH YOUR DOGS. Leave them on what they thrive on and spend the $$$ because at the end of the day, there's no amount of money in this ENTIRE world that I would be willing to pay to compromise his health or put him in danger... and that's exactly what I feel like I've done to him.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We have been using the red bag (Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato) dry food for several years. A few years ago they weren't carrying it and when I called I was told that they hadn't been able to negotiate a new contract with their supplier. A short time later the grain free became available again and we bought it. I was told it was essentially the same formula. We switched to grain free because our mixed breed dog frequently developed a rash that looked somewhat like prickly heat and she was miserable. A dog breeder we ran into at a pet store told us that her dogs with the same problem did better on grain free food. She was the one that suggested the food at Costco. When we made the switch we gradually added the new food to the old and she made the transition with no problem.

Her dermatology issue improved to the point where we discontinued giving her ** every day. I am so sorry to hear about the deaths/injuries that others have had.

I hope that anyone who has had that problem took a sample of the food to Costco and if available the bag. Improper storage at some facility could have been the culprit. Of course there could be a food incompatibility too. If you are considering a switch maybe just giving a small amount and see what happens might be a safer bet?

Regarding the tumors that have been referred to. We are a pretty big family (extended) with dogs, cats, etc. There have been other family members whose dogs have developed tumors, benign as well as malignant. There have been several different brands of dog food used so I'm not sure I would think that the dog food is responsible. Of course I acknowledge that anything is possible and I don't want to negate the feelings or belief of those who have had this occur. Well, as a too chatty old lady, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth that we have been very satisfied with the Costco dog food.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We have been giving our English Mastiff the dry Kirkland brand for 5 years and all was well. When we got a Frenchie we chose to feed her the same food since it was healthy and affordable. Less than a year later she went into liver failure from what we thought was canine hepatitis. She was given a few weeks to live and switched to liver specific food from another brand. To our surprise, she recovered. Not even 6 months later and our Mastiff, who was still eating the Kirkland food, began showing the same symptoms. After several tests it is confirmed that she also is in liver failure. I couldn't believe that both dogs had the same thing even though they were different breeds! After some digging I found all of these terrible reviews and it all makes sense now.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have 2 dogs who are on Kirkland Domain Salmon and sweet potato and love it. They are healthy, high energy, healthy weight dogs. Their coats are soft and silky. I’m a loyal customer. Bonus on the price of about 60% of compatible brands. The industry reviews online are above average for quality content. One review said “Costco’s hidden gem but not for long.” and I Agree!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

First of all, I need to comment on a review from a few weeks ago. Someone rated this food as 1 star because their dog died with a tumor?! Really?! Based on 0 evidence? (Or at least none "presented.") If there are moderators, that review should be removed! Why not blame it on your cleaning products? Or the electrical fields from your iPhone? Or bad vibes? Will the car you drive get a similar review with the same reasons? In any case, the ingredients here look good. I have a family member who has used this a long time. My mutt loves it. My Wheaten terrier, who struggles with any variation in diet, seemed to get an upset stomach more when eating this. Less when we switched off of it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Nature’s Domain. My hubby bought this blue domain dog food from Costco Burlington Ontario home and said it looks like a really good food. So I Fed the food we usually feed and half blue domain turkey and salmon to My dog 10 years young who has always been healthy, Within 3 hours she started to heave like she wanted to throw up. We just thought she would throw it up. As I sit with her comforting her hoping she would throw up Her stomach blew up bigger than the size of a beach ball and was hard as cement. Then she died in my arms within 35 minutes this all happened. Now it could be a coincidence. I don’t know. But I would never feed this food to something I loved so dearly. I am so heartbroken and miss my old soul. She was a terrific companion. I feel I let her down. I had no time to take her to hospital. It happened so fast.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We’ve used the Kirkland premium dog food for 13 year years on our black lab who passed away this week. We fed him this dog food all his life with the additional dinner scrap every once and a while not often but about 8 years he started to develop tumors. Not saying the food is the cause but who wants to see the tumors pop out but he was in a healthy environment. But I don’t think it helped. Next black lab I have we will go a different food route.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My 16-pound "teacup Rottweiler" loves this food. It's a Healthy Weight dog food and since putting my dog on it, he has lost 3 pounds. He does not eat all in one sitting, her more crazes all day much like a cat would.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Costco is the main seller of Kirkland dog food. Their Healthy Weight Chicken & Vegetable formula is one of the lowest fat content foods on the market. With most other brands our dogs exhibit signs of allergic reactions, but not with this Kirkland formula (and we have tried many others). I wouldn't change if the other foods were free.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Would like the food healthier with less chemicals added, more nutrition, less by-products. All consumers of dog food can now see that it is better off getting dry dog food with higher protein and dried vegetables in it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My dog eats it with no issues such as stomach or vomiting. It seems to agree with him. Plus I read it is ranked number 4 among mid-priced dog food which is affordable for my budget.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Previously we tried Eukanuba, Blue Buffalo, Purina, and couple of others. But we settled on Costco's "Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato" dog food. We currently have two large Airedales (100+lbs each) but previously we have had as many as four at once. These are four-footed family members and we try to do the best for them that we can. (Best care, best food, best vet, best quality of life, etc.).

Why do we use the Kirkland? In descending order of importance: a) They love it and eat it more readily than any of the others. b) Their coats are visibly better, and one dog has stopped having skin problems after feeding the Kirkland for a month. c) Looking up its nutritional content it is very high compared to the other "premium" dog foods. d) (This one does not matter to me because our Airedales are like our "four-footed children" and it seems to be the best one for our pets, but I'll give the reason anyway...) It is significantly less expensive than both the Blue Buffalo and the Eukanuba which we had been feeding for many years. If we were to find another food which performs as well for them and which they preferred we'd swap to it, no questions asked.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Dogs think it is okay versus delicious - but Purina give one stomach blisters that does not happen with the highly rated Kirkland. I buy the Healthy Weight version which is probably why they don't love it - but it is definitely healthier.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I went from Purina ONE to Kirkland salmon and found a huge difference in my pup. He does not eat as much to get full and his coat is softer and fuller. He seems to enjoy the food more also.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This highly rated dog food has good ingredients, is very readily available at Costco, is priced very well for the quality, my large Labrador ate this food eagerly. I fed the weight-control blend.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Kirkland brand dog food is a good value. The ingredients are comparable to all premium dog food. My dogs like the flavors salmon & sweet potatoes, Turkey & sweet potatoes & new beef & potatoes. And it has added vitamins & supplements added. They also have a weight management if your dogs are a little pudgy. I stick with the grain free variety but they also have chicken & rice that is even a better bargain. Kirkland dog food is available at Costco. These bags are 35 lbs. So bring your muscles.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Kirkland dog food provides the best ingredients for the price which I can afford. There are many dog foods which cost more but don't provide the better and healthier ingredients for my furry family member.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We started our dogs on the Kirkland brand for weight quite a few years ago. One of our dogs responded to losing a few pounds, however, our other dog did not so we had to start him on Hill's Prescription Metabolic Dry Dog Food.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I choose the grain free selections at Costco which are fabulous nutritionally, my dogs enjoy them and they are 40% less than equivalent other named brands.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Bulk shopping is convenient. And the pricing is always an issue when shopping for dog food but their ingredients are good for the dog. I haven’t been overly particular regarding what I feed them concerning vs what I can afford.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I purchased the food over a week ago and was surprised when my 3 year old, 4 pound Poodle stopped eating Taste of Wild and started eating the larger nuggets Nature's Domain with my 100 pound Rottweiler. She has no problem chewing the larger nuggets. Furthermore, I have not noticed any changes in either dog and I saved money from the more expensive brands...

Not sure about Kirkland Pet Foods?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Dog Food for you.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information

www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business