2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.01/5

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Kirkland Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I worked with dogs for years, this was always a food I would hear about that people seemed to like. My 4 year old golden retriever was on it for about 6 months. Everything was fine until it wasn't. My dog suddenly presented with all the symptoms of bloat. I rushed her to the emergency vet, where they were puzzled when it was not bloat and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Her entire body would blow up like a balloon and she was throwing up. My dog was put on a lot of medications and was being watched meticulously. About two weeks later, she stopped moving. She was lethargic and didn't want to do anything. I was terrified she had cancer.

She was once again rushed to the emergency vet, where once again, everyone agreed something was very wrong. But nothing came back out of the ordinary, except for the fact my dog was very, very sick. Finally I changed her food after reading some of the reviews, and miraculously my dog is happy and healthy again. Side note: my cats were also on Kirkland food and while they did not get sick, they did stop eating normally. I have also changed their food and they are back to normal as well.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Our dog was very healthy but my husband, who likes Costco brought home Kirkland dog food just because it was economical, to replace a more expensive dog food I had been buying for years without any issues. Our once healthy dog has been vomiting, won't eat nearly any food now, and is losing weight.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 21, 2020

March when the pandemic hit my dog food was back ordered so I switched to this. May my Boston terrier ended up in the vet with problems. Thankfully recovered. July my lab refused to eat after one day of new bag! Two vets later and hospitalized for 5 days I have to say goodbye to my best friend!!! I will be his voice for life! This dog food is killing out babies! It’s not okay. Vomiting, diarrhea lack of appetite. Don’t ignore the warning signs! I didn’t and it was still too late. 5000. Later and I still lost my best friend???

Original review: June 25, 2020

Costco has been good for dog food until the last purchase May 2020. Our Standard Poodle started with diarrhea and then didn’t like smelling the food and within a few days was vomiting . Took him to the Veterinarian and he was in poor shape with pancreatitis. Many times due to food and could be deadly. We are contacting Corporate and would like this food to be analyzed. Be aware.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Updated on 09/25/2020: Since our last review our wonderful family member Blue had to be put to sleep and she went to the big doggie rainbow. Blue was only 7 1/2 years old and very vibrant and happy. She became sick almost immediately after eating this dog food from Costco. I shop there all the time and NEVER expected this to happen as well as the BRUTAL treatment from Costco and their associates. Our other dog got sick on one bowl of Costco dog food and started to look and act like Blue so we dumped all the food in the garbage. DON'T RISK YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS ON THIS FOOD!!

Original Review: Bought this dog food as we love Costco. Our dog looks like she’s dying now and our other dog seems fine. We have suffered ALL the same symptoms of the other reviewers. We will IMMEDIATELY stop with this brand of food from Costco (their brand). Our dog looks very sickly now.

Original review: May 22, 2020

This brand of dog food was recommended to us by our dog trainer because it is the only brand without high fructose corn syrup. We've had our dogs on this brand for roughly two months without issue. Then, Monday 5/18 we opened a new bag, our dogs ate as normal, and the next morning our Corgi rescue was vomiting blood. He also refused to eat and this is the little guy that ALWAYS eats. Then on Tuesday not only did our Corgi refuse to eat all day but our Golden Retriever started vomiting immediately after eating. Wednesday they both refused to eat and our Corgi had stopped vomiting but now had blood in his stool and was lethargic.

At this point we called our vet and after a visit she was concerned about an issue with the food and asked us to try something different to see how they did. We bought a bag of Beneful and the both inhaled a small bowl and kept it down no problems. After this it became very evident the problem is the food. Never, never again will I buy this AND I'm reporting this issue to the FDA along with our vet. This product almost killed our pets!

Original review: March 15, 2020

We switched to Kirkland dog food on Tuesday and now our dog is dead. Dog was in perfect health before the switch. After he started to eat the new kirkland dog food he started throwing up and was very lethargic. Blood in stool and this was morning was unable to move. Took him to the vet and he was put down. I started to read some other comments online and see that this is happening to other dogs. I will be sending the food to a lab first thing tomorrow to be tested and I am 100 PERCENT confident it comes back positive for something that should not be in dog food. Next steps will be to make public via EVERY social media outlet known to man.

Original review: March 9, 2020

First, I love Costco and all the Kirkland brand items, EXCEPT the dog food. I have 5 dogs and am now retired so I decided to try the less expensive Kirkland Chicken and Vegetable formula dry dog food. It's been about 6 weeks, and ALL 5 of my dogs have begun eating dirt! They have never done this before and from what I've been reading, they may be doing it because they are missing important minerals in their food! I am going back to the more expensive food...I could try to just give them vitamin/mineral pills, but I no longer trust the Kirkland dog food brand...very disappointing.

Original review: March 5, 2020

We got a new rescue dog and I decided to buy the Kirkland food because it was a larger quantity and good price. I have 2 dogs. Both our 1 yo female rescue hound dog and my 8 yo male parti poodle developed large amounts of crystals in their urine. My poodle did not have any symptoms but I had the vet check his urine just in case and he was loaded with both types of crystals also. I can only think that there is an ingredient in the food that caused this in both dogs.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I feed my 4 month old collie this once and he threw up all over the place. He's never thrown up before. I've fed him different varieties as well. I'm taking it back. It gives me pause about what other Kirkland products are tainted.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information