3.06/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: April 19, 2018

523 Kirkland Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 19, 2018

In Brief: Found dead maggot(s) in can of Kirkland Lamb and Rice dog food when opened new can – Code: KLRD 10:30 - Best by Jan 16th 2020. Called American Nutrition who I am told make and package can dog food for Costco and left a message for someone to call me back, they have not. I took the can in question back to Costco and showed them the maggots. Make sure you check the food as the maggots are easy to miss if not paying attention. Have been using this food for years. I now question is some of my dogs stomach problems may have been caused by bad food.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We've been feeding our dog for about 8 months, the Salmon & Sweet Potato formula. She went blind in February. She was perfectly healthy before this. Anyone else have vision loss after using this brand of food. I'm sick if I caused her to lose her sight because of this!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 27, 2018

I have always trusted the Kirkland brand, so when we got our corgi puppy, I switched her over to the Kirkland Nature's Domain puppy food. On this food she was having diarrhea a lot and sometimes bile vomit. The vet found no issues. I did not think it was the food since I thought it was a quality brand. Finally after 3 months on the food, my poor dog was losing hair, had a dull coat, was not wanting to eat, became very lethargic, was losing a lot of weight and vomiting a lot. I decided to do some research on the food at that point since she was not willing to eat it and had a massive throw up incident in the middle of the night on our bed. That is when I found all the terrible reviews for the Nature's Domain food! All the bad reviews had description of the ailments my dog was suffering from. It was an a-ha moment where my dog's behavior all made sense.

After that, I decided to switch her over to Canidae Limited Ingredient dog food for sensitive stomachs because I thought it might help her digestive issues (vomiting and diarrhea) and it had wonderful reviews. As soon as we switched her food, she started doing so much better. Her coat was awesome, she was eating again, her poop started being normal, she gained much needed weight and she had her energy back. Once she bounce back, I realized how poorly she really had been doing and I felt so bad since I had chosen that food. I just warn people who are looking to use this dog feed to be aware, it truly made my puppy very sick. I do have to say Costco was amazing with the return. I returned a half used bag and let them know it was making my dog ill and I received a full refund!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have a purebred Male German Shepherd who is 15 months old. When I was in Costco a few weeks back, I briefly noticed that they (just like SAM's Club) carry their own brand of dog food. I snapped a couple of photos of what I was interested in, compared to what he has been on since he was able to eat dry food, & figured I'd do my research when I got home and decide from there.

Now as I'm sure there are far more that don't do their fair share of research before making a decision, y'all can skip this and move ahead. I planned for TWO YEARS, for this dog - just as one would, if not MORE, than when children are brought into this world because Arco is my CHILD! I researched the best foods, flea & tick medicines, vets, pet beds, everything you can imagine all the way down to my OWN LAUNDRY DETERGENT.

I joined countless GSD groups and forums to be sure I was 10000000% prepped for him when he was finally mine! I picked him out when he was 2 days old because there was such a HUGE waiting list for this particular breeder because she is what she claims to be. Arco doesn't come from a puppy farm, he wasn't bred from overbred parents, I know because I STALKED this breeder knowing I would have him from the day he took his first breath until the moment he breaths his final breath is this world. GOD willing it will be 13-15YOA+.

Moving on. I did my research and as I know from working with the general public, the ones who have things to say are usually the ones to say them... And 12 times out of 12, they are negative comments, nagging, they just wait their voices heard in some way shape or form no matter what the outcome/result may be. I'm not that kind of person but let me tell ya what, always I do my research. ALWAYS. I wasn't instantly sure about Natures Domain but as I kept digging I noticed that they are produced by the same manufacturer as TOTW (Taste Of The Wild)... Which is what Arco has been on since he switched from his mother's milk to dry food AT THE BREEDERS. (Schell & Kamper.)

I've had a GSD before but she was on Buffalo Blue (Diamond Supply Company) and that was 4-5 years ago and let me tell you what, I look at Buffalo Blue and wonder HOW I ever gave them business. Countless recalls. Countless sick dogs. Countless terrible reviews. In saying that, I am 100% aware that TOTW currently holds far worse rating across the board than Natures Domain (for those nit-pickers out there). Aware.

I decided against better judgment after physically printing out the two list of ingredients and comparing to what he was in TOTW High Prairie Puppy Formula. Yes. Puppy. Male dogs are considered puppies until they reach 2YOA, & purchased Costco Nature Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food 35 lbs. We finished that bag up rather quickly and this time around I decided to try the Turkey Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food 35 lbs. I am 1/3 of the way through the bag and I walked in my home today after work and decided that I have had it. WE ARE DONE. I immediately went to Tractor Supply and purchased TOTW High Prairie Puppy Formula 30 lbs in HOPES this fixes Arco. $10-$20 difference won't make or break me and it shouldn't you either. If it does, ask yourself this," Why do I even have 2 mouths to feed."

Arco's last vet appointment he clocked in at 120 lbs at 13.75 months old. Healthy as a horse. Has had all UTD shots. He is in daycare 2-3 days a week socializing with OTHER GSD of his own and thriving. Dr. ** praised me on how healthy I've kept Arco and what ATTENTION to detail I have with him (HUGE honor to even receive a compliment from him). His coat is perfection, nails are "Tough as Nails" so on... & if I was to ever get rid of him he offered not only to take him and love him but to double what I paid for him!!! Dr. ** Lives on 1000+ Acers with Cows, Bulls, Horses, Australian Shepherds, 3 Irish Wolf Hounds THAT SLEEP IN THE BED WITH HIM, you name it!!!

The first time I ever took him to see my vet, Dr. ** (who is highly ranked and has been practicing in his field 40+ YEARS) knows my grandparents and my parents... cracked a little joke with me, well really AT me, and said, "Why did ya buy into that whole grain-free nonsense? Surely you're much smarter than that and you know it's a gimmick? Do your research." He handed me a sheet of paper that I still have in Arco's files on why I should or shouldn't be feeding my dog Grain Free Foods. Raw is the way to go, gotcha! But Raw Is EXPENSIVE! And I'm not a vet!!

Today, March 20th, 2018 Arco, my sweet doodle, is losing CHUNKS OF FUR right and left like he has cancer. He can barely jump onto my bed anymore, I have to help hoist his back legs up... which I don't even like touching his precious hips because, AGAIN he is treated with the utmost care. He is my baby. Arco has lost 15+ pounds in a matter of 30-45 DAYS!!! Unfortunately I attributed it to adding an extra day into his week, daycare wise, and they truly work him out. He is so tired when he comes home. It's all he can do but to eat and drop himself into his XL PLUSH Serta iComfort Cooling Orthopedic Bed. His allergies have been SHOT. Eyes are leaking right and left & they haven't ever done so before unless he had an ear infection (2 times and he's on year round ear drops to alleviate the chances of him catching one). LETHARGY like I've never seen it before in my LIFE. It's terrible!!! I wouldn't feed this food to my worst enemy.

Again. I am VERY aware that they are produced by the same manufacturer BUT just because ingredients are "LISTED THE SAME" on the TOTW list vs. the Natures Domain list doesn't mean that they are the SAME!!! There is NO WAY IN HELL you can tell me, much less CONVINCE me of such because I know my Arco and I know what he's been on since he could eat & I am sadly aware they are produced in the same plant but maybe not the same environment. The same processing method.

I'm so disappointed and wouldn't stop and take an hour out of my day to write this review, if I didn't want you guys who read this to make the same MISTAKE that I have. As a fur mom, as a GSD owner, as Arco's mom... DON'T SWITCH YOUR DOGS. Leave them on what they thrive on and spend the $$$ because at the end of the day, there's no amount of money in this ENTIRE world that I would be willing to pay to compromise his health or put him in danger... and that's exactly what I feel like I've done to him.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

We have been using the red bag (Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato) dry food for several years. A few years ago they weren't carrying it and when I called I was told that they hadn't been able to negotiate a new contract with their supplier. A short time later the grain free became available again and we bought it. I was told it was essentially the same formula. We switched to grain free because our mixed breed dog frequently developed a rash that looked somewhat like prickly heat and she was miserable. A dog breeder we ran into at a pet store told us that her dogs with the same problem did better on grain free food. She was the one that suggested the food at Costco. When we made the switch we gradually added the new food to the old and she made the transition with no problem.

Her dermatology issue improved to the point where we discontinued giving her ** every day. I am so sorry to hear about the deaths/injuries that others have had.

I hope that anyone who has had that problem took a sample of the food to Costco and if available the bag. Improper storage at some facility could have been the culprit. Of course there could be a food incompatibility too. If you are considering a switch maybe just giving a small amount and see what happens might be a safer bet?

Regarding the tumors that have been referred to. We are a pretty big family (extended) with dogs, cats, etc. There have been other family members whose dogs have developed tumors, benign as well as malignant. There have been several different brands of dog food used so I'm not sure I would think that the dog food is responsible. Of course I acknowledge that anything is possible and I don't want to negate the feelings or belief of those who have had this occur. Well, as a too chatty old lady, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth that we have been very satisfied with the Costco dog food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We have been giving our English Mastiff the dry Kirkland brand for 5 years and all was well. When we got a Frenchie we chose to feed her the same food since it was healthy and affordable. Less than a year later she went into liver failure from what we thought was canine hepatitis. She was given a few weeks to live and switched to liver specific food from another brand. To our surprise, she recovered. Not even 6 months later and our Mastiff, who was still eating the Kirkland food, began showing the same symptoms. After several tests it is confirmed that she also is in liver failure. I couldn't believe that both dogs had the same thing even though they were different breeds! After some digging I found all of these terrible reviews and it all makes sense now.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I have 2 dogs who are on Kirkland Domain Salmon and sweet potato and love it. They are healthy, high energy, healthy weight dogs. Their coats are soft and silky. I’m a loyal customer. Bonus on the price of about 60% of compatible brands. The industry reviews online are above average for quality content. One review said “Costco’s hidden gem but not for long.” and I Agree!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

First of all, I need to comment on a review from a few weeks ago. Someone rated this food as 1 star because their dog died with a tumor?! Really?! Based on 0 evidence? (Or at least none "presented.") If there are moderators, that review should be removed! Why not blame it on your cleaning products? Or the electrical fields from your iPhone? Or bad vibes? Will the car you drive get a similar review with the same reasons? In any case, the ingredients here look good. I have a family member who has used this a long time. My mutt loves it. My Wheaten terrier, who struggles with any variation in diet, seemed to get an upset stomach more when eating this. Less when we switched off of it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Nature’s Domain. My hubby bought this blue domain dog food from Costco Burlington Ontario home and said it looks like a really good food. So I Fed the food we usually feed and half blue domain turkey and salmon to My dog 10 years young who has always been healthy, Within 3 hours she started to heave like she wanted to throw up. We just thought she would throw it up. As I sit with her comforting her hoping she would throw up Her stomach blew up bigger than the size of a beach ball and was hard as cement. Then she died in my arms within 35 minutes this all happened. Now it could be a coincidence. I don’t know. But I would never feed this food to something I loved so dearly. I am so heartbroken and miss my old soul. She was a terrific companion. I feel I let her down. I had no time to take her to hospital. It happened so fast.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We’ve used the Kirkland premium dog food for 13 year years on our black lab who passed away this week. We fed him this dog food all his life with the additional dinner scrap every once and a while not often but about 8 years he started to develop tumors. Not saying the food is the cause but who wants to see the tumors pop out but he was in a healthy environment. But I don’t think it helped. Next black lab I have we will go a different food route.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

My 16-pound "teacup Rottweiler" loves this food. It's a Healthy Weight dog food and since putting my dog on it, he has lost 3 pounds. He does not eat all in one sitting, her more crazes all day much like a cat would.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Costco is the main seller of Kirkland dog food. Their Healthy Weight Chicken & Vegetable formula is one of the lowest fat content foods on the market. With most other brands our dogs exhibit signs of allergic reactions, but not with this Kirkland formula (and we have tried many others). I wouldn't change if the other foods were free.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Would like the food healthier with less chemicals added, more nutrition, less by-products. All consumers of dog food can now see that it is better off getting dry dog food with higher protein and dried vegetables in it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My dog eats it with no issues such as stomach or vomiting. It seems to agree with him. Plus I read it is ranked number 4 among mid-priced dog food which is affordable for my budget.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Previously we tried Eukanuba, Blue Buffalo, Purina, and couple of others. But we settled on Costco's "Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato" dog food. We currently have two large Airedales (100+lbs each) but previously we have had as many as four at once. These are four-footed family members and we try to do the best for them that we can. (Best care, best food, best vet, best quality of life, etc.).

Why do we use the Kirkland? In descending order of importance: a) They love it and eat it more readily than any of the others. b) Their coats are visibly better, and one dog has stopped having skin problems after feeding the Kirkland for a month. c) Looking up its nutritional content it is very high compared to the other "premium" dog foods. d) (This one does not matter to me because our Airedales are like our "four-footed children" and it seems to be the best one for our pets, but I'll give the reason anyway...) It is significantly less expensive than both the Blue Buffalo and the Eukanuba which we had been feeding for many years. If we were to find another food which performs as well for them and which they preferred we'd swap to it, no questions asked.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Dogs think it is okay versus delicious - but Purina give one stomach blisters that does not happen with the highly rated Kirkland. I buy the Healthy Weight version which is probably why they don't love it - but it is definitely healthier.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I went from Purina ONE to Kirkland salmon and found a huge difference in my pup. He does not eat as much to get full and his coat is softer and fuller. He seems to enjoy the food more also.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This highly rated dog food has good ingredients, is very readily available at Costco, is priced very well for the quality, my large Labrador ate this food eagerly. I fed the weight-control blend.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Kirkland brand dog food is a good value. The ingredients are comparable to all premium dog food. My dogs like the flavors salmon & sweet potatoes, Turkey & sweet potatoes & new beef & potatoes. And it has added vitamins & supplements added. They also have a weight management if your dogs are a little pudgy. I stick with the grain free variety but they also have chicken & rice that is even a better bargain. Kirkland dog food is available at Costco. These bags are 35 lbs. So bring your muscles.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Kirkland dog food provides the best ingredients for the price which I can afford. There are many dog foods which cost more but don't provide the better and healthier ingredients for my furry family member.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We started our dogs on the Kirkland brand for weight quite a few years ago. One of our dogs responded to losing a few pounds, however, our other dog did not so we had to start him on Hill's Prescription Metabolic Dry Dog Food.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I choose the grain free selections at Costco which are fabulous nutritionally, my dogs enjoy them and they are 40% less than equivalent other named brands.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Bulk shopping is convenient. And the pricing is always an issue when shopping for dog food but their ingredients are good for the dog. I haven’t been overly particular regarding what I feed them concerning vs what I can afford.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I purchased the food over a week ago and was surprised when my 3 year old, 4 pound Poodle stopped eating Taste of Wild and started eating the larger nuggets Nature's Domain with my 100 pound Rottweiler. She has no problem chewing the larger nuggets. Furthermore, I have not noticed any changes in either dog and I saved money from the more expensive brands...

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Best quality dog food and terrific price, compared to any other canned dog food available. Only trouble is that there is no Costco nearby. I have to drive over 60 miles to the nearest store. Then I have to buy several cases of the dog food and store it. That's just OK. Wish Costco had more outlets.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I buy the Kirkland brand dog food because it seems to have the best quality for the value. It is grain free, has all the proteins, fats and other nutrients that keep it competitive with the other top brands such as Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

13 year old Maltese and two Shih Tzus (3 years old) on diamond naturals for years. We got Kirkland Signature from Costco, the Super Premium Lamb Rice and vegetable. The dogs didn't want to eat the food. It was left uneaten all day and my older dog ate it after I put warm water. My senior dog had seizures two days in a row after two days on the food. His lungs filled with fluid, organs failed, and he died from heart failure a few days after that. My other two dogs are vomiting bile and refusing to eat the food.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Just purchased (11/6/17) Kirkland Nature's Domain Beef/Sweet Potato for the first time for my 14 year old Aussie Shepherd mix & my 6 year old Lab. I'll be returning ASAP. It made my 6 year old sick and had constant diarrhea. She had to go outside every hour to hour & half throughout the night, having diarrhea each time. She only ate this twice in 2 days. I started giving her some cooked chicken by itself and she has been fine now for 24 hours. She has never reacted to any dog food before now. Since this was so extreme for her, I started looking for reviews on this brand and here we are...very scary to hear about all the dogs going to the vet and even dying from this!!! What is going on Costco?!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato Dry food - We have been feeding our pup this since we got him 6 years ago. I was so surprised to see all the negative reviews. He loves his food, never throws up, has normal stools, has the sleekest coat. I highly recommend this dog food - we don't keep it in the bag - we have a large Tupperware tub that holds the whole bag and scoop it out of there twice a day.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Maria of Tamuning's review, dated June 30, 2017 was almost identical to what happened with our Boxer over the past eight days. Have been feeding her this same dog food (Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food) for 3 years without incident. The last bag, purchased on the 22nd, looked and smelled different than before. Within 48 hours of eating, my dog was vomiting, drinking large amounts of water, very lethargic and no interest in eating.

By Monday morning, she was rushed to the vet and labs showed kidney and liver readings off the chart. He had never seen readings so high, in his entire years of practice. $1,700 later, she is making a slow, but steady, recovery. For a while, we thought we would lose her. The vet said, that if she had been a cat, that 7 of her 9 lives would have been used up with this episode. She is still on a battery of medications, which will last an additional two weeks. We will no longer be buying this Costco Dog Food!!

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information