1.66/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

493 Kirkland Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

13 year old Maltese and two Shih Tzus (3 years old) on diamond naturals for years. We got Kirkland Signature from Costco, the Super Premium Lamb Rice and vegetable. The dogs didn't want to eat the food. It was left uneaten all day and my older dog ate it after I put warm water. My senior dog had seizures two days in a row after two days on the food. His lungs filled with fluid, organs failed, and he died from heart failure a few days after that. My other two dogs are vomiting bile and refusing to eat the food.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Just purchased (11/6/17) Kirkland Nature's Domain Beef/Sweet Potato for the first time for my 14 year old Aussie Shepherd mix & my 6 year old Lab. I'll be returning ASAP. It made my 6 year old sick and had constant diarrhea. She had to go outside every hour to hour & half throughout the night, having diarrhea each time. She only ate this twice in 2 days. I started giving her some cooked chicken by itself and she has been fine now for 24 hours. She has never reacted to any dog food before now. Since this was so extreme for her, I started looking for reviews on this brand and here we are...very scary to hear about all the dogs going to the vet and even dying from this!!! What is going on Costco?!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato Dry food - We have been feeding our pup this since we got him 6 years ago. I was so surprised to see all the negative reviews. He loves his food, never throws up, has normal stools, has the sleekest coat. I highly recommend this dog food - we don't keep it in the bag - we have a large Tupperware tub that holds the whole bag and scoop it out of there twice a day.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Maria of Tamuning's review, dated June 30, 2017 was almost identical to what happened with our Boxer over the past eight days. Have been feeding her this same dog food (Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Dog Food) for 3 years without incident. The last bag, purchased on the 22nd, looked and smelled different than before. Within 48 hours of eating, my dog was vomiting, drinking large amounts of water, very lethargic and no interest in eating.

By Monday morning, she was rushed to the vet and labs showed kidney and liver readings off the chart. He had never seen readings so high, in his entire years of practice. $1,700 later, she is making a slow, but steady, recovery. For a while, we thought we would lose her. The vet said, that if she had been a cat, that 7 of her 9 lives would have been used up with this episode. She is still on a battery of medications, which will last an additional two weeks. We will no longer be buying this Costco Dog Food!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We were very satisfied in the beginning! Roscoe really enjoyed it at first. It has been folded up and kept in a dry place, just opened it up to scoop some food out for Roscoe and realized theres mold growing on the food?!?! Stated to be good until June 24Th of 2018. Very dissatisfied and wondering any other time I wasn't checking the food prior to feeding my poor baby. Will not be buying this product again. Please check your food prior to feeding your precious babies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have tried Kirkland canned dog food twice now. Once when we first adopted our dog a few months ago from a rescue and just recently. Our dog likes the taste and eats it right up, but it causes him to have very loose stools and stomach upset. The first go round I figured it was because he had spent two weeks in the shelter and would settle down. We tried a few other brands and settled on one that has worked well. We ran short on food and still had almost a full case of Kirkland so I fed him twice today and he again had watery stools and also puked. Fortunately Costco has a generous return policy. I will return the food for a store credit and then go back to the other brand. The dog food may work well for other dogs, but our dog must be reacting to something in the food, maybe the brewer's yeast? If your dog has a sensitive stomach beware.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

We recently adopted a senior Pug that we have known for years. Her previous owner thoughtfully bought a 40lb bag of this food (Kirkland Salmon and Sweet Potato Dog kibble). I assumed it was her regular diet, but she doesn't like it. As our other two Pugs were used to sweet potato and salmon kibble from a more expensive brand, we transitioned all three dogs to it. They weren't eating well so I started making food for them. That got old and expensive, so I started mixing the Kirkland food with what I made. As I began to increase the kibble, one dog threw up repeatedly and her stomach growled for hours.

My elderly, blind and somewhat crippled Pug, Freddy, has megaesophagus so I hand feed him chicken and vegetables. He missed kibble (he barks at the bag) so I fed him the Kirkland from a raised bowl and held him upright so the kibble would get to his stomach. After two days on this food, he has diarrhea and is vomiting. I decided to research this food and found these reviews. I can only hope that no permanent damage has been done to my dogs. It's back to their original diet after a couple of weeks on chicken and rice!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I had a healthy 11.5 yr old Border Collie who would still run 6 to 20 kms with me each day. Also a 4.5 yr old Great Dane x Cane Corso. I was told by a guy at work that Kirkland dog food was good and less expensive. So I looked it up said 5 out of 5 stars and same ingredients. So I thought great I'll save money. Big mistake. Within 2.5 weeks both dogs started acting different. Wouldn't eat. Wouldn't run as far.

I thought it was the heat. I went to do my 12 hr shift. My 13 yr old daughter called me crYing saying somethings wrong with Sable. I left work. Rushed her to emergency. The vet test and said pancreatitis. Gave her meds and pain killer because she was in pain. The vet said they've had lots of problems with that dog food.

Got her home. Changed the diet to rice. Was doing ok for a day and a half. Then took a turn for the worse. No energy. Couldn't breathe. Touched and she would wrench. She wrenching in pain while on pain killers. How bad is that. I rushed her to the vets. My young dog got sick but fought it off. My best friend of 11.5 years. I had to put down into much pain and wouldn't be able to pull through. Do not use this food.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My dog is getting on in years now, and needs good nutrition, so I compared ingredient labels between Kirkland and the more expensive brands sold by veterinary services. Observing a match, it's a simple case of Kirkland being fairly close to half the price of the more expensive veterinary brand.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Nature's Domain beef and sweet potato dog food. We have been using this brand for our St. Bernard and our little Havanese for about 5 years now. We purchased a bag on Friday 08/04/2017. Gave them their morning feeding Monday, within 1/2 hour, the St. Bernard puked all over the place, all the food, water, everything. We immediately switched them to boiled rice and beef, the vomiting stopped immediately. Tuesday evening, since the 'illness' seemed to pass, I started mixing in A 1/2 CUP of the food to the rice/beef mixture. Diarrhea commenced within a 1/2 hour after eating the dry dog food. I woke up this morning, and he had vomited the dog food all over the bedroom floor. We will immediately stop purchasing this dog food and pray we get a refund. My poor babies. I guess you actually get what you pay for.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Salmon and sweet potato grain free dog food - We used to get Taste of Wild food but went to Costco as the content of their dog food seemed to be the same as Taste of Wild! It is at least $30 cheaper! My dog got so sick I had to take her to the vet! $200 later and antibiotics now special food! I don't think we will buy Kirkland anymore, would rather spend a little more money and have a healthy dog!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Kirkland Signature Salmon and Sweet Potato exp date 5/18/2018. A couple of days after opening a new bag of the aforementioned food and feeding my dogs, one dog threw the food up the next morning and threw up sticky phlegm after her stomach was empty and stopped eating, was lethargic and had to be fed water. She would not take any other treats that she normally rushes to eat. Her hair was shedding at an alarming rate. The second dog followed with the same issues the next day. By this time the first had to be admitted to the clinic for 4 days to be fed intravenously. Various tests showed she had kidney and liver problem and her liver enzymes were off the chart. She is currently on pills to control the liver damage. Both dogs were on anti-nausea and appetite stimulants. I now make food for the dogs.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Fed my dog Purina pro dog food then switched to Kirkland brand dog food. After a few weeks she couldn't go the bathroom. Took her to the vet and they did x-ray's and she was filled with bladder stones. Surgery was performed. The only thing that was different was the change of dog food. At that time we did not know that it was the food that was causing the issue so continued to feed my dog Kirkland brand. 8 months later she had to have surgery again for bladder stones. The vet at that time told us to take her off the Kirkland food so we did. Went back to her original food and had follow-up x-rays performed three times and there were no stones! Will never feed my dog this food again and I suggest that no one else does either! Happy we were able to find out the problem before something worse happened!

Original review: May 29, 2017

Our 9 month old Great Dane was switched to Kirkland's Nature Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato about a month and a half ago and about a month ago she started getting bumps on her face like pimples. Took her to the vet. They said it was a bacteria infection - gave us antibiotics. Two and a half weeks ago she started pushing her food away and would not eat it. She went from 8 cups a day to 3... We didn't get it, thought it was the infection etc. Then last week she was lethargic, not active, then stopped drinking water. We took her to the vet. They had to inject her with water, antibiotics. They don't know what's wrong, lymph nodes are swollen, now testing for cancer? Took her home. I thought she was going to die... It was awful.

Then I saw the reviews here and took her off the Kirkland and put her on Wellness. She ate it right away, no fussing or pushing food around, like she was with Kirkland. She is much better than two days ago - still a little slow. We are taking her to vets this week to recheck and get the test results back. I don't know if it was the food? I guess time will tell. Just seems odd.

Original review: May 17, 2017

When I was last at Costco they no longer carried the Greenies brand of dog chews which I have given my dog for a couple years. I assumed the Kirkland brands were the same. This was a bad assumption! My dog got very ill and it took me about a week to realize it was from the Kirkland Chews. She very quickly got ill! She was both vomiting and had green slime diarrhea. She ended up at the vet getting fluids and anti-nausea medicine. We removed the Kirkland dental chews and now she is fine. It took a few days to clear her system. DO NOT give these to your beloved dog!

Original review: May 17, 2017

After reading all of the complaints/incidents of sick and dying dog, I am convinced that this dog food caused 2 of our healthy dogs to get cancer. We have never had a dog die prior to the age of 14 and these two were healthy until I switched to the Kirkland "Nature's Domain" brand dog food because it was more reasonably priced and the ingredients seemed healthy. PLEASE don't feed your animals any of this disgusting crap.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I had been giving my two dogs Earthborn grain free dog food for years with no problems, very healthy, healthy fur and full of energy. I decided to try Kirkland's grain free because it was less expensive. BIG mistake. My dogs have been on it for two months. They recently stopped wanting to eat it and started vomiting and having diarrhea off and on, are lethargic and not themselves. The ONLY thing that change was the dog food.

I noticed my male in particular would just turn his nose up at it and wouldn't eat until he was really hungry. Again thinking it was just the change of food. My female started having digestive issues too. I could hear their stomachs gurgling at bedtime.They both started having foul smelling gas when they started eating this food. I thought it was just due to the change. They still get foul smelling gas, something they never had on Earthborn food. I threw out this food and they are back on Earthborn grain free. I don't know what is in the Kirkland's dog food, but after seeing the reviews of dogs having the exact same problems my dogs had, I don't trust it and will never buy it again. My babies are worth the more expensive food.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I bought the Kirkland Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato around December, 2016 then the Salmon and Sweet Potato dog food around January, 2017. I thought I was doing a good thing for my dog, buying this high quality food for him; boy was I wrong! I regret that it took me so long realize that this dog food might be causing these issues. First in mid-January my dog (a healthy Brittany) started having eye problems. The glands in his eyelids were so swollen that while we were at the vet's office he started bleeding from the eyes! That was horrible and led to a month's worth of antibiotics, both oral and ointment, and a visit to the vet eye specialist who diagnosed it as blepharitis, probably an allergy. I thought it was related to stuff the homeowner's association put on the grass, so I kept my dog indoors most of the time.

Then, in mid-April, my friend and I were walking the dog and noticed that his pee looked red. Sure enough when I collected a sample his pee was dark brown, the color of prune juice! I was scared to death! More trips to the vet, more antibiotics, a urinalysis showing an infection, and the vet's recommendation to do over $800 worth of blood tests and x-rays, on top of over $690 in vet bills in the last 4 months. Fortunately, my husband researched brown pee online and found that other people had had problems with the Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato product resulting in both eye issues and brown pee. Needless to say, we took our dog off the dog food immediately, and 3 days later his pee is now yellow.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I am involved in pet rescue therefore have dogs of different breeds and different ages. I switched to Kirkland's Nature's Domain Turkey Meal and Sweet Potato due to the bad publicity that Beneful was receiving. (Rather than wait for a problem, I decided to be proactive to avoid a problem.) Sadly, switching caused the very problem that I was trying to avoid. After being on the food for eight months, four of my dogs have had bloody, gel like, loose stools. The excrement is bloody and very foul in smell (not a normal odor). These same dogs have been eating grass and have since refused to eat their food. A person had donated IAMS food to me therefore I decided to feed the dogs exhibiting these symptoms the IAMS rather than the Nature's Domain, to see if it would alleviate the gastrointestinal problems.

After two days on the food, the diarrhea has stopped. Now I have two dogs vomiting bile. I plan to take all of my dogs off of it immediately as I am now convinced that it is the food. My dogs are all healthy; followed by a vet. This has been an "out of the ordinary" situation that has me convinced that it has to be the food as nothing else has changed for them.

Original review: March 20, 2017

We have a purebred pitbull terrier who has been eating the Kirkland puppy food chicken and rice formula for 4 months now. He seemed to be doing OK on this formula, until we had purchased a second bag and started noticing pretty alarming symptoms in our pup. He started becoming very depressed, followed by lack of energy. We had just had a new baby, and assumed he might have been feeling a little left out.

But then, our pup started having very, very loose stools and straining very hard when he had a bowel movement. Then his condition progressed to vomiting. While all these symptoms began showing, our pup had extreme gas, to the point I was stinking up the whole house. I contacted our vet, who recommended feeding him rice and yogurt mixed.

After 4 days of this, he started to get better. No vomiting, no gas, was passing stool and gained his energy back. Tonight we decided to try our pup on the Kirkland product again, and like clockwork his gas came back, and had a runny bowel movement. I decided to look up reviews on this brand of food, and came across alarming reviews, with many pet owners describing the exact same symptoms our pup is showing, and the common denominator being Kirkland dog food.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Per the above negative reviews, the original recall was in 2012. The recalled dog food has been off the shelves for several years now. I can tell you I have two dogs, a German wirehaired pointer & a short haired pointer, both eat the Kirkland Signature Domain Turkey & Pea stew in the red can. I mix it with the Kirkland Signature healthy weight dry food, use a 3-1 ratio of wet to dry. They love the food, and flatulence doesn't seem to be as much as a problem as there was with other brands (well at least for one of them). Anyway as we all know, all dogs are different & react different, but I would say, if you're hesitant to try the brand because of the 2012 recall, don't be. I hope the helps.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I want to know if any ingredients come from China! I would switch the food types around - all being the Kirkland's Nature's Domain. First salmon, then turkey, then beef because I know that switching them up can help if a dog has skin problems which we were trying to sort out. He was on Nature's Domain for two years. When I ran a search online for reviews of the beef today, it is now completely gone from the Costco website which makes me wonder why. When the vet had me put him on a vegetarian diet a month ago, his hair around his eyes and the latest skin problem filled in nicely. He was accidentally fed some Nature's Domain on an out of town trip recently. Two weeks later I noticed his lymph glands were huge. I took him to the vet and now he's got cancer. I'm now feeding him chicken breast with a tiny bit of brown rice and that's it. I don't trust these dog food makers anymore. I love Costco but this is horrible.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Nature's Domain Beef and Sweet Potato dog food - I have a Westie I began feeding this dog food to. I had always fed him Science Diet but was trying to find something less expensive so I switched to Kirkland's brand. Big mistake. After a few weeks on it my poor boy began having stomach issues, itchy skin and dragging his bottom on the carpet several times a day. Vet said it was the grains in the food making his bottom itch, thus the rubbing it on the carpet. Completely grossing me out! Needless to say I switched his food back.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I have been feeding Kirkland Signature food and Nature's Domain food from Costco for over 10 years. I show and breed Bernese Mt. Dogs and Portuguese Water Dogs. Previously, they were one of the best foods on the market. All of my dogs were doing very well with healthy weight and shiny coats. In 2016, something changed. I have a 6 year old PWD with irritable bowel and extremely thin. This cost me a vet bill of over $5,000.00. I had to start cooking food for her to get her through. Anytime she gets a hold of the kibble, she starts to vomit again.

I used to have to feed 1.5 cups of Kirkland Signature food to each of my Bernese 2 times a day. Some would even get a little fat so I would substitute green beans to bring them back down. Now, they are so thin, I have to feed 2.5 cups a day and some of the dogs are on 3 times a day and still thin. This has never happened in the past and never with so many of my dogs. My PWDs are thin as well.

Several of my friends who feed Kirkland Signature and Nature's Domain are also experiencing the very same problems as I am. All of us are from different states so not just from one area. I have contacted Diamond to ask what has changed and they told me that the only change has been the addition of probiotics. I do not believe them. I have been feeding probiotics for 20 years and no issues.

I am now forced to look into a new food for my dogs as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Diamond. I have asked for who I need to write to at Costco Headquarters to report my issues as I thought that Costco strives for excellence in anything they put their name on. I don't want my concerns to be brushed under the rug by Diamond. I am now NOT recommending any of their foods. And if you do feed it, you need to watch for waste volume, loose stools, irritable bowel, vomiting, loss of appetite, and overall thin dogs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

We had two Goldens, my male started having digestive issues and my vet recommended switching to Salmon and Sweet Potato formula. I feed my dogs the same food. It did seem to help my male with his issues but my female just passed away today. I don't know if there could be a connection to her feed or if it was her age? She was 9 years old. Now wondering if I need to have the food tested?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

This is by far the best food we have ever given our dogs. Have been feeding 3 dogs, one has since passed, and have never had any issues and the dogs love it. Their stools are always firm and they can't wait for meal time. I have friends who spend so much money on raw and specialty foods and it seems they are always at the vet with some issue. I will always stick to the turkey and sweet potato because it has been great for so long. I can't recommend enough.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

I have been feeding Nature's Domain pet food to my 5 yo and 1 yo dogs their whole lives, and our 5 yo cat, and they love it! I constantly get compliments on how soft their coats are, the vet always compliments me on their weight and they are really good looking dogs (lab and catapult breeds, both about 45 lbs.). I use the turkey can food for a special gravy treat, which I warm with warm water. When I go to the pet store, I look at the prices of regular Diamond pet foods, and snicker that I get their bags for almost half the price. I honestly think this is the best pet food for them, and wanted to share, since I have been feeding it to them for so long, and raised both my dogs from 8 weeks old, and they are so healthy!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

Wow... just realized that EXACT same time, 2 years ago, also had problem with Diamond/Kirkland dog dry food. That is odd... Anyway, same thing: bought 2 bags of Kirkland Chicken and Rice in September. No problem. Bought 2 bags of Kirkland Chicken and Rice this November--dogs all have diarrhea. I have a pit x 18 month old. She is foaming and diarrhea all night. I will take her to the vet asap. The non-Costco/Tractor Supply Diamond Chicken and Rice (same formulation? Different batch?) I bought in October since I live so far away from Costco... no problem with that one.

One other odd thing recently/last 6 months: TWICE when I lifted the dog food off the Costco pallet pile to load in my cart... the bag(s) opened at the bottom seam and spilled out everywhere. I told Costco store in Rancho Mirage (who didn't care). But I am wondering if the Western States Costco Distribution are letting the food sit in the heat which is affecting the food AND the packaging (i.e. the glue of the seams). This is why America is in the state it's in. No one cares. I called Diamond Customer Service (800-442-0402). She didn't even know about dog food review sites like this where I said there was a lot of recent concern and similar dog symptoms resulting from their food.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

Kirkland Beef & Sweet Potato dog food - This food was on sale and it looked healthy so I tried it on my 5 year old papillon/shepherd mix. After about a week or so I noticed a lot of panting and hypersensitivity/yelping from my dog. I just took the food back and bought his old food pedigree. I hope he'll be ok.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I have been feeding my dogs Kirkland Weight Management (grey bag) dog food for a few months now. My female dog started putting on weight, so I cut back the amount she given. Over the past week she a dog that hadn't had an accident in the house since she was about 6 months old suddenly had 3 very large accidents in the house. Her breathing became labored. She became very lethargic. Next she started vomiting water & white foam. She was drinking a lot of water but it wouldn't stay down & she stopped eating.

I took her to the vet yesterday 12 days before she would turn 7 & when they ran the blood work they said she was diabetic, anemic, her kidney function & levels were low & that she also had pancreatitis. My poor baby girl had to be put down before turning 7 & when I got home my male threw up & has since been throwing up bile & foam. My vet bill for my girl was $465 & I couldn't save her. I'm pulling the rest of the food & trying something different for my male. Hopefully it's not too late for him??? Someone needs to be held responsible if the food they're selling is causing all these medical issues, vet bills & deaths for us loving pet owners.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information