2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.72/5

Kirkland Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: April 22, 2019

We have been using Costco’s Nature’s Domain dog food for over 15 years. I have Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and my daughter has a Chihuahua and a small Terrier. My old girl passed away 3 years ago and she was 14 and very healthy to her last days. We use the grain free salmon. All the dogs have great coats, awesome teeth, they don’t fart, they are active and very healthy. People comment how soft their coats are. The vets are amazed how healthy they are. I wouldn’t feed anything else.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our lab/pit mix was very picky. I tried everything from raw to cooked meals to other kibbles. He was fed this brand at the rescue so I decided to try it. He now eats at every feeding time and his coat looks beautiful and feels great. Our other two dogs love it too and they look and feel better too. I love this food for our dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

We feel Kirkland dog food is the best dog food! We have tried others including Blue Buffalo which our dogs did not like. Kirkland has real ingredients not fillers, it has fresh chicken as it main ingredient and egg with garden vegetables, fruits like and herbs plus brown rice.. It contains Pro and dried beet pulp, potatoes, Omega 3 and 6. Glucosamine and Chondroitin, antioxidants plus other vitamins and minerals. I like that we can get a 40 pound bag at the Costco store for a lot less money than other brands. The Kirkland canned dog food which we use as a treat on top of their kibble (Nature's Domain) is also real ingredients, turkey and pea stew. Our dogs LOVE it!

Original review: March 27, 2019

The Kirkland dog food doesn't have all the extra fillers in it, so my dogs don't get tummy aches, no stinky flatulence either. It's a little under $30.00 for a 40 pound bag. Great price, great product and most importantly it has really good ingredients! I think it's better than the brands people spend a lot of money on. I used to use an expensive brand and my dogs would still have the stinky farts. Even purchased it from my vet. Love Kirkland Dog Food!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought this dog food for my two labs and my granddog lab after my Dermatologist shared her story about how this dog food helped clear her Labrador’s skin problem. One of my labs and my granddog lab have very bad skin problems and both dogs skin problems have greatly improved after being on this brand for 6 months. They used to eat a high end feed store brand chicken & rice flavor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

So upset I read today that this dog food causes heart failures from the FDA in a news release to my news feed... I cannot take it back because I threw away the receipt! This is so upsetting because my dog wont eat any other Kirkland dog food...Damn Costco again!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

My 3 dogs have been eating this dog food 2X day for years. We opened a new bag and one dog turned her nose at it. She is a lab and normally eats everything. She has the best NOSE. Something is wrong with the food as we opened another bag and she ate it. We tried again with the off bag and she refused to eat it. We threw out the big green bag but it was bought in October/November at the San Bernardino Cosco.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

We have used the Kirkland super premium dog food for years. Our dogs are healthy and they always eat the food happily. But yesterday three dogs turned from their food. A 6# pup ate. I held some in my hand and got my old girl to eat some from my hand. Today three didn’t want it. Today my old dog is not well. She has diarrhea and is breathing hard. Something is wrong with this food.

This is a new bag, and I will return it to Costco. I couldn’t find a way to contact Costco and let them know I am sure there is an issue with the dog food. We love Costco and the Kirkland products. But, that doesn’t mean there couldn’t be an issue and I think there is. I have a shepherd, a Labrador, a miniature poodle, and a malti-poo pup who suddenly won’t eat this food. The lab took some from my hand and she is ill.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Not long after starting our 3 dogs and 2 cats on Kirkland brand grain free foods, we started to notice accidents in the house. It got so ridiculous we installed a camera to see who was going inside and it turned out it wasn't just one animal, but figured we weren't getting the smell out enough so they were just marking over each other. Nearly 2 weeks ago one of my cats was screaming in pain. He was vomiting and wouldn't eat. I couldn't touch his belly and he was hiding and laying in his carrier which he would never do before. He was taken into the vet I work at and when picked up to be put on the scale a moderate amount of very bloody urine came out. We did a urinalysis on it, which showed many red blood cells, but very few white blood cells, which are usually the indicator of infection. The one thing he did have was crystals. Lots and lots of struvite crystals. They had built up in him to the point that they blocked the urethra and made urinating very painful.

He ended up needing to be put under twice to be catheterized and flushed out, had to stay overnight a few nights, is on a bunch of medications, and will likely have to be on expensive prescription food for the rest of his life. Now this wouldn't make me immediately think of his food as the cause, even though it occurred to me. We were continuing to see urinary accidents despite vigorous cleaning and rearranging furniture. I thought I knew which dog it was, so tested her urine today. She had a bunch of struvite crystals. I had brought the other dogs with me and decided to test them too, and they both had tons of struvite crystals. The one I thought didn't have a problem at all ended up having the most struvite crystals I've ever seen in a urinalysis. They all will have to change food and take expensive supplements, and if it doesn't get better will need to also be on expensive prescription food.

I plan on testing my other cat tomorrow since he was the only one who hadn't been tested, but I expect to find the same story. I am very upset as when I researched the food before starting it it seemed like a good product. I didn't see anything about it causing crystals until I searched specifically for crystals in animals on the Kirkland brand pet foods. What makes me the most upset is that my blocked cat could have died from it if it hadn't been caught when it was. After testing my other cat tomorrow I plan on contacting the company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I had two dogs who ate this line happily for years until this latest bag which they would let sit for a day or two before eating it. I somehow didn't pick up on the possibility that the food might be bad. Looking back, I realize my deceased dog began to show signs of decline about the time I opened this bag of food. She seemed to be in pain and have trouble breathing. I took her to the vet who agreed with me that she'd probably tweaked her back and gave me pain pills and anti-inflammatories. She seemed to get a little better, but now three weeks later she's dead. My surviving dog hasn't touched the food for two days since the other passed. I just cooked her some eggs and rice to see if she'd eat that and it was gone in seconds. I feel terrible and don't know what to do.

Not sure about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information