3.16/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Kirkland Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

564 Kirkland Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 22, 2019

We have been using Costco’s Nature’s Domain dog food for over 15 years. I have Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and my daughter has a Chihuahua and a small Terrier. My old girl passed away 3 years ago and she was 14 and very healthy to her last days. We use the grain free salmon. All the dogs have great coats, awesome teeth, they don’t fart, they are active and very healthy. People comment how soft their coats are. The vets are amazed how healthy they are. I wouldn’t feed anything else.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our lab/pit mix was very picky. I tried everything from raw to cooked meals to other kibbles. He was fed this brand at the rescue so I decided to try it. He now eats at every feeding time and his coat looks beautiful and feels great. Our other two dogs love it too and they look and feel better too. I love this food for our dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

We feel Kirkland dog food is the best dog food! We have tried others including Blue Buffalo which our dogs did not like. Kirkland has real ingredients not fillers, it has fresh chicken as it main ingredient and egg with garden vegetables, fruits like and herbs plus brown rice.. It contains Pro and dried beet pulp, potatoes, Omega 3 and 6. Glucosamine and Chondroitin, antioxidants plus other vitamins and minerals. I like that we can get a 40 pound bag at the Costco store for a lot less money than other brands. The Kirkland canned dog food which we use as a treat on top of their kibble (Nature's Domain) is also real ingredients, turkey and pea stew. Our dogs LOVE it!

Original review: March 27, 2019

The Kirkland dog food doesn't have all the extra fillers in it, so my dogs don't get tummy aches, no stinky flatulence either. It's a little under $30.00 for a 40 pound bag. Great price, great product and most importantly it has really good ingredients! I think it's better than the brands people spend a lot of money on. I used to use an expensive brand and my dogs would still have the stinky farts. Even purchased it from my vet. Love Kirkland Dog Food!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I bought this dog food for my two labs and my granddog lab after my Dermatologist shared her story about how this dog food helped clear her Labrador’s skin problem. One of my labs and my granddog lab have very bad skin problems and both dogs skin problems have greatly improved after being on this brand for 6 months. They used to eat a high end feed store brand chicken & rice flavor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kirkland Pet Foods?

Original review: June 7, 2019

We happened to get one dog checked for problems, including tests. It turned out that this dog had crystals. That vet told us that about a year ago the Costco dog food formula had changed and she was seeing a lot more dogs with crystal problems that ate Costco dog food. The other five dogs go to a different vet at a different location. We had them checked by the second and guess what, they also had crystals. After we switched temporarily to some hideously expensive Royal Canin food, all dogs are crystal free. The vet bills and related food costs to resolve this problem ran into the hundreds of dollars, but it is far better than dealing with health problems caused by crystals and the possibly required operations if the problem had gone on.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Easy to find and get at Costco. Lasts a long time. My dogs don’t really like it but they will eat it if I add broth or cheese to it. Bags are made of paper so they are recyclable. Ingredients could be better however they are better than most on the market.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had been feeding my Rottweiler American Journey limited ingredient dog food for almost a year. I noticed that the Costco brand was much cheaper so I decided to give it a try. My dog started scratching a lot, but I didn't think much of it. When I started to notice that he continued to scratch himself a lot and was licking himself a lot I thought it was seasonal allergies. I got him a bunch of stuff for allergies and it didn't seem to be getting better. He had a lot of scabbing, hair loss, and he was scratching himself to bleeding point. I thought it might be the food. So I found this site in which many other pet owners are reporting the same type of problem. I'm returning the food and switching him back to his old food.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Switched to Kirkland's adult dog food for healthy weight. My dogs' weight stabilized and they are very happy and active. They are mid-sized dogs and the kibble size is perfect. They are fed with a continuous auto feeder, so it was the dog food that made the difference.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been purchasing Kirkland dog food for years. My dogs have always been very healthy, no upset stomachs, no problems. It is easy to get and inexpensive and works. Plus, my dogs love it and eat it all up.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Value for money in terms of quality and quantity! Unlike other brands, Kirkland keeps our dog fit and healthy. Our dog who is little over 10 years old has great metabolism for his age. Thanks to the Kirkland food.

Original review: April 13, 2019

For the first time, my dog eat the food right away, and trying new dog food, she would always get sick, but when she started on this dog food, she did not get sick.

Original review: April 12, 2019

First ingredients are meat. Kirkland Pet Foods is a high quality food and the price is reasonable. It’s in a class of premium foods but at a discount.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I use this food for fosters and my own pets. Cost is fair for a single protein single carbohydrates food. Costco always has the food either online or in warehouse. Nice flavor variety. Itching patchy skin along with licking much improved while using combination of treatments.

Original review: April 10, 2019

It is a good buy and meets the standards of being good for my dog! I have read the ingredients and are comparable to other more expensive named dog food. I use to use Beneful for my Blue Heeler but it has grains in it. I also use PetSmart's Authority if I happen to to a PetSmart store.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Ok so I have 3 dogs and I finally broke down and gave in and purchased the cheap stuff from Costco. BIG MISTAKE! I cannot believe how my dogs behavior changed after 3 days of eating this! He has become overall aggressive. I only have it to my corgi to try out first. He is the overweight dog. He also drank so much water!! He has never needed to drink like he did when he ate this food. I read the reviews and I am taking this back immediately. DO NOT buy the weight management dry food. He is the kindest most loving dog! And I took him on a walk and he was pulling at me to try to attack another dog. He has NEVER done that. His entire personality changed. I can’t believe that this food had that effect on him but it did!! Awful!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have read the ingredients now and then over the years but don't truly recall them. I do however trust Costco/Kirkland to be honest about those ingredients and to not knowingly provide a less than healthy product.

Original review: April 7, 2019

It's quality and affordable. I have 2 dogs so it's nice to buy one big bag. I only have to buy a bag every few months. My dogs seem to like it.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My dogs like this food so that is main consideration. I have heard good things about it nutritionally speaking. I get the small breed kibble and can feed all of my different sized dogs the same food.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Changed to this brand several years ago and could not believe the difference it made for our dogs. Their coats became better, disposition improved as they seemed much happier all the time, they had more energy, and their fecal matter was noticeably in better condition.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I'd been feeding my dogs Kirkland dry dog food for a year or two. Loved the price and the grain free choices. Both of my dogs, began smelling bad this past winter. And they spend a lot of times swimming in the river and playing outside. Even after shampoos the smell wouldn't go away, it oozed out of their bodies and made my house smell bad. I went back to a more expensive brand I'd used before and the stench left their bodies. Now my worst problem is wet dog smell. Don't think I'll go back to Kirkland, although it will cost me a lot more.

Original review: March 31, 2019

After years of buying this product with my dog eating it happily, something changed in the formulation of the canned Nature's Domain Organic Chicken with Vegetables for Dogs. The first thing I noticed was that the contents poured out rather than requiring a utensil to remove it. What's of concern is that my non-fussy dog took a few bites and has since refused to eat it. I thought it might be just a can or two, but he hasn't touched any from the same case. My cats would try to get to his food before, but sniffed at it and didn't touch it either. I trust their instinct, and if 3 of them responded in the same way, I trust their instinct.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Both of my German Shepherds have been eating this dog food for the last 41/2 to 5 years without an issue. Within the last few weeks my male dog threw up and refused food for four days. I went to the vet and they put him on a wet food. He ate for a few days. I slowly incorporated his dry food back into his diet by mixing the food. He ate it, threw up, had diarrhea, and refused food again for 3-4 days. I have him back on the wet food. My female gained a considerable amount of weight and has been breathing unusually hard over the same two weeks my male has been ill. Nothing has changed in their diet or their environment. I would like to echo what others have said in the most recent reviews here. Something is definitely wrong!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Been feeding this same food for over a year, now the latest bag the dog ate one meal from it and became sick, will not touch it now. I can't smell anything different with the food, but there is something very wrong with it. He will eat anything but that food.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I am perplexed why, apparently, only the bad experiences show up here. For 15 years our Schnauzer ate Kirkland Mature Dog with fine results. Now, our three-year-old Schnauzer recently switched from that to the salmon/sweet potato and the results are very pleasing. Costco has not disappointed, again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We have feed both our German Shepherds Nature’s Domain (red bag) food for years with no problems. Last week my female started getting sick so I decided to switch her food and see if that helped. I left the male on it since he was not experiencing any problems and now he is so sick as well! Something is most definitely going on with this dog food as I’m finding similar reviews from people that are experiencing similar situations!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have bought Kirkland brand dog food for years, no problems. But this specific food is suddenly making my dogs throw up and have diarrhea - seriously sick. I have 4 dogs, 3 mutts, 1 poodle, it is definitely this variety of Kirkland food, not something else. When I switched them to the regular green sack of Kirkland, vomiting and diarrhea ended.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

For this dog food to generate so many comments, there is an obvious problem. I just bought a 30lbs bag. Because my dog ​​is small and the bag will last a long time, I transferred the product in well sealed individual ziplock. I have unfortunately read your comments after the transfer. I only gave him a very small portion, we're not going though any issues. Buy I won't feed my dog with that product knowing that it could make him sick. I won't take the chance. 50 CDN$ down the drain. Going to call Costco and see what they are going to say. But I doubt that they will take back all 8 ziplocks. Just HATE throwing the money away like this. Very disappointed COSTCO.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Bought a bag and both of my dogs were sick for 4 days until I switched their food to another brand. Shih Tzu had uncontrollable diarrhea and threw up once. The Rottweiler would throw up a few hours after every meal. I reported this to the Kirkland vet team, but they said the food had been tested before it went out and blew me off. This is the only thing both dogs were getting that was in common.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

My dog was on this brand of food for a few years. Over time she developed hair loss and scabbing around her eyes, inside of her ears, back paw and neck. After several visits to the vet, blood work and biopsies it revealed she had very little zinc in her diet. The food is supposed to contain the required amount of zinc but I don't believe this is true. I've since switched her to a completely different brand of food and her skin is back to normal and her zinc levels are back in the normal range. Stay away from this food!!

Kirkland Pet Foods Company Information