2.33/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Last updated: May 13, 2018

202 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2018

My story is very similar to Bonnie's in OH. I have a 12 yo JR/Doxy mix, he was diagnosed with high kidney levels so the vet recommended Hill's Science Diet KD. We also tried a sample bag which my little guy loved. So we bought a larger bag, very expensive, I might add. He's been on it since 5/1/18. I noticed 3 days ago he was also shivering, it has been a bit chilly here. But, today it is 70 degrees and he is shivering. He has also been grinding his teeth, not a lot but enough to notice. I decided to read up on some of these reviews and found Bonnie's. I feel bad for feeding this food to Chippy but very happy I saw Bonnie's review. Chippy will no longer be eating this horrible food. I also read the ingredients, it's full of a lot of thing you can't even pronounce. This 3/4 full, very expensive dog food is going right in the trash. What an EYE OPENER. Thank You Bonnie.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have fed my last three dogs Hill's prescription Diet t/d dental care, and none have ever needed a surgical dental procedure, including cleaning. They have maintained healthy digestion and nutrition. The food is expensive, but worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Hill's prescription W/D, I/D, and the others that we have tried are good for our Labrador (sensitive stomach), but very high in cost. We have not found a better food for less money. We used to buy Blue Buffalo and found that it was too rich.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Several years ago we had a dog who developed kidney disease. She was put on Hills Renal food, next dog had an allergy to meat (yup, a dog) so he was put on a no meat food, (the venison didn't even work). He was balding, (who knew). His hair grew back in. Now with current dog he's over 8 so now he's on the older large dog food. I called Hills to ask the difference and was told that there is more glucosamine and other vitamins and minerals that older dogs need.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The company took their standard 16 ounce packaging and reduced their size down to 11 ounces and kept their same price... perhaps they are striving to eliminate this specific product and this is their way of discouraging their consumer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: March 29, 2018

Hills Science Diet: Metabolic - Twice now my vet has prescribed this food for my overweight puggle to curb her weight gain. She said it would help her feel full after eating. Yeah. That's about as effective as lembas bread on a Hobbit. She'll eat her serving, sniff around for more, lick the bowl several times, walk around looking for any stray crumbs under the table, try to access the kitty litter box for any fecal matter, try to sneak into the pasture for cow pies... I'd say it's VASTLY ineffective, particularly for the insane PRICETAG.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We have always chosen the best dog food for both of our labs. The older one is on Hills Prescription Diet Metabolic + Mobility (weight + joint care) which we purchase at the vets and the younger one is on Adult Dog Weight Management which we purchase at the Animal Health Center, both in Marshall, MN. Both of these dog foods were recommended by our vet and we are very pleased with how our dogs have thrived over the years we've been using them. I would recommend Hills Dog Food of any variety for all dogs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I am sick and tired of how vets shove this junk Hills food at us pet parents!! Enough is enough! It is obvious they have zero actual education on pet nutrition other than what they are taught. Most of the education they get is biased and based on research by companies like Hills! What about the kickbacks and bonuses they get from pushing this junk on us! All one has to do is look at the CHEAP fillers and questionable ingredients to see how bad this food is! I am even more disgusted that their greed is so massive they would charge what they charge for this cheap and poor quality food!

My dog is a diabetic and my vet pushed Hills WD on me and would not give me any other options! There are plenty of food on the market better for dogs like mine. Hills WD is full of cheap corn, corn and more corn, wheat corn gluten, powdered cellulose as the 3rd ingredient (AKA sawdust) and even caramel color (made from sugars)! Is this a food for diabetic dogs??? I am getting my dog off of this junk asap and don't care what my vet says! A dog would have to take a lot of insulin to cope with this horrible food (if you can call it food)! I would like to see this company go bankrupt.. they deserve it!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Ok, so my dog is 7 years old. Doberman. Super super healthy dog, never been sick. Took him to Vet. Vet said he is 20 lbs obese and I need to put him on Hill's metabolic food. My dog is 7 years on best quality organic food only and putting him on something that is full of ingredients that I couldn't even pronounce and read made me not comfortable, but he said otherwise he will not lose weight and his bones and joints will only suffer if he doesn't lose. So I did it. 3 weeks later feeding dog only metabolic, he probably looks like he lost some few lbs, my poor doggie is starving and he got even sick. He is not himself! I have never see him like still. He seems like he is sick, he is acting sick like I never saw him like this before. Then I went to vet and read all these reviews here. I am stopping this food right now!!! People read ingredients list! There is no real food in this kibble.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Had a 13.5 year old very healthy and active dog who had a mild elevation of protein levels. Vet said to put him on K/D diet for dogs as a precautionary measure. All other foods were 100% eliminated, I,e., no human foods, egg, milk with water, chopped meat. No other dog foods. Did have arthritis. Had been on J/D for several years along with 2-3xweek 50mg Tab of Rimadyl, one Dasuquin tab and one VetriScience Lab Pro Line Derma 3.6.9 Pro chew daily for the arthritis. Every blood work had been normal until the last.

Took him off the J/D and switched to K/D dry approx 11/03/17. His CR was mildly elevated 1.8 (0.3-1.4 mg/dL). The bag brags about special taste enhancers that dog will love and he did, ate it like it was an addictive drug. He was 57 lb, and was restricted to 3 cups. On 02/01/18 after having been eating this exclusively he seemed to be wanting extra attention, something he always wanted. We and he went to sleep at 5:00 AM and by 8:15 AM he died. Found him laying on his side, dead. He had been hiking 5 days prior, nothing strenuous, walked twice around the dog park the afternoon before. Ate and drank well. He was active up until the day he died.

He never ate anything off the ground, highly suspicious of anything he hadn't tried before, picky, selective eater. Was not prone to eating dog feces, pills or food dropped onto the floor. Autopsy not done as vet said good chance it would not have revealed anything, speculating old age. He was Australian cattle dog. Food purchased through VetSource Home Delivery. Having read about past recalls of Hills Science Diets, I am reporting this as a possible cause of his sudden demise.

I would for the reasons stated above, not put my dog on this food. I can't prove a poisonous/harmful product, but that was the only thing different that there was in the last two plus months of his life. He had a 17lb bag from VetSource and a sample 4 day supply on 12/14/17 while Dublin Animal Hospital, Colorado Springs, CO ordered the larger 29 lb bag delivered on or about 12/18/17. He never got to finish the last bag.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I had been giving my dog this food for about a year, We have tried all different lines from the GI to the Zd. My 12 year old pup has always had stomach issues. After years of grain free foods I finally decided to switch him over to the Hills prescription like my vet suggested. The last year he had really gotten worse not better, He has lost 12 pounds and started drinking water obsessively! Every time we would go outside he was obsessed with eating snow instead of doing his business! Thousands of dollars later, Ultrasound blood work even checked for Cushing's, Everything came back normal other than he had an excessive amount of gas in his belly.

I finally had a friend suggest a nice home cooked meal, I gave it a try and boy oh boy! My pup has come back to life! The water obsession is gone and his stools have improved tremendously. I boil organic chicken, brown rice and carrots. I place in a food processor. He eats 3 times a day and loves it, He is slowly starting to fill in a bit too. After the first day I saw an improvement. Coincidental? I think not!! Please do your pet the favor and look into some other alternatives. This food is killing pets.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Unfortunately, I failed to read the reviews before I purchased the Hills brand to try for my dog. This dog food was #1 Vet Recommended in store and all I have to say is this brand should be taken OFF THE SHELF. Absolutely ridiculous the effect that this has on some animals. Is it really worth your pet getting sick and almost DYING for a bag of dog food? Vet recommended at that. I gave this to my dog who is almost 1 and within the first half of the day after he has itched a huge patch of hair off his back. He is now covered in open sores from itching and biting and I refuse to write it off as a coincidence that this all happened after switching food. You see these reviews about pets being put in the HOSPITAL with pancreatitis, kidney failure, etc. and I am kicking myself in the ass that I got this dog food and put my dog at risk. PLEASE do not buy this product. There are more horrific reactions than there are good.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

PET LOVERS BEWARE! YOU CAN NOT TRUST YOUR VET, OR YOUR PET FOOD COMPANY! I have a beloved three-legged cat named Mike D, and one of the standard model four-legged ones named MCA. A while back I brought Mike D in for a checkup, partially just to show off how beautiful and amazing he is, and partially to ask if there was anything I should be doing proactively to care for his joints as he gets older. The vet recommended prescription pet food that she sells out of the lobby of her office. I hesitated at first because the food was $45 a bag, but about seven months ago I decided to switch both of my cats over to the new food.

Fast forward seven months and MCA has developed a repeated issue with throwing up bile (clear foamy liquid that builds up in the intestines and stomach). He had stopped eating through most of the day, he had lost a lot of weight, and because his stomach was empty all day the bile was building up in his system, burning his poor little stomach, and making him throw up. I feel tremendously guilty that it took me so long to make the connection. I actually felt proud that I was buying the expensive vet brand food, I got busy with life, and I didn't even look at the ingredient list. When I finally did just a little research about prescription pet food and pet food in general, I was horrified by what I found, and heartbroken about how sick I had been making my cat for months and months.

I have been through so much with my cats over the last 13 years and they really are my best friends, almost nothing means more to me than they do and I am crushed to think of MCA being starving and sick right under my nose. I am someone who has spent about ten years of my life reading, researching, and watching documentaries about people food. I am endlessly frustrated by the control that big food lobbies and corporations have over the American diet and I am endlessly frustrated with doctors that don't have a clue how to make people healthy and who only know how to prescribe drugs. WELL, TODAY I LEARNED THAT THE CROOKED PET FOOD INDUSTRY AND MOST VETERINARIANS ARE NO DIFFERENT!

For seven months I have been feeding my animals vet prescribed food which consists mainly brewers rice, and corn gluten meal, along with chicken by-product, soybeans, and a whole slew of ** that I can't pronounce. And to make it even worse I learned that the big pet food companies are now buying out the veterinary chains so that they will have even more control over the vets! The American food/medical industry makes me mad, but this, THIS MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!

As people, we can choose to eat processed food or whole food. If we feel bad enough we can do the research and realize that we need to get the carbs, sugar and chemical garbage out of our diet, but animals! Animals have no choice and THESE COMPANIES ARE TRICKING PET LOVERS INTO POISONING THEIR BELOVED PETS! Please look at the ingredient list on your pets food. It should be a list of real foods that you understand, like meat and vegetables, but particularly for cats, it should be almost all meat.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My cat started off with a UTI back in August diagnosed with FLUDT. Veterinarian gave me CD prescription Hills diet. As the months went on my cat went downhill. Doctor insisted it wasn't the food. The more I gave her the worst she got. Long story short no diagnosis. X-rays, thousands of dollars later it was the food. Be aware. Lethargy, neurological problems, constipation. My cat was almost dead and I helped get her there. Shame on this company and shame on the vets for not doing their research after reading the reviews. People need to be aware this is making animals sick.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Hi, I'm from The Netherlands and was advised to buy the prescription diet for my cat (she has extremely high t4 levels and doesn't react well to **). I had her on herbals but the last blood tests did not show improvement. I felt the herbals did help her but they were nearly finished and she didn't have enough the last week. This might have caused high levels of t4... I started her on the prescription diet. The first day she ate the kibble and a bit of the wet food although she clearly hated it. I tried to make it a bit thinner by adding a little warm water since it was so thick... At first I thought I saw an improvement.

Ever since the vet visit she had been laying in a corner. She can't take sedation well and I thought that was it. The second night on the prescription diet she even went outside for a bit so I was optimistic. Although I had added fresh chicken and mixed with a tiny bit of normal food as they suggest the first week. It couldn't have helped so quickly with urination. Hyperthyroid cats urinate way too much... suddenly there was nothing at all?

End of the day I checked again and she was not urinating at all and constipated. Hardly anything in the litterbox??? The next day she started howling and was clearly in pain. Even though you couldn't see her looking very bad she was clearly feeling awful. Didn't even want to come sit with me at all. I took out the horrible prescription diet and cooked for her myself... some nice chicken with a tiny bit of carrot and rice. Now she is going to the litter box again and no longer constipated. I am very angry. I spend 50 euros on this food. What a scam. Ingredients are weird too. Liver every day??? So many carbohydrates???

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I have been using Hill's Science Diet dry dog food for 18 yrs. and am completely with my dogs health & would highly recommend it for all dog owners. My vet. recommended it with our first dachshund that we got at 8 wks. old & passed when she was 13 yrs. old from a Pit Bull bite, our 2nd dachshund we got at 8 wks. & she is 5 yrs. old & is still on the same food. We use Hill's science diet, light, small bites and are very satisfied with the food. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Hills I/D Low Fat has been good for my dog's stomach. The only thing I notice is that it still has a lot of fat. And, I would prefer that it would be organic for the price that I am paying. My dog does like the two flavors that they have the stew and the original flavor, but it would be even better if they had more flavors available. And, I would also prefer that they have a lower amount of grain in the food.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dog was a fighter for her life. She had bounced back from many issues. Now she was old and had less resilience but was hanging on, going about her business in spite of a week and a half of diarrhea and weight loss. I took her to the vet because it had been going on so long. Since she was a puppy I had been feeding her real food, but I took a can of Hills i/d Digestive, thinking I could just use it for a few meals to firm up her bowels. After two meals, half a can, she was unable to get up off the floor on her own.

I stopped immediately and went back to real food, but it was too late. It gave her that push downhill and she kept getting worse. The diagnosis, which didn't come back until after she died, was pancreatitis and failure to absorb nutrients in the colon. Yes, she had problems already, but she was hanging on until the Hills. Two servings, and she wasn't hanging on anymore. I can't afford to sue myself, but if anybody wants a class, I would be so grateful to join it. Murderers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our dogs were overweight and after being on this Metabolic Dry Dog Food for 1 month they both had lost weight. They continue to lose pounds and when they get to the preferred weight for their build we will feed them the same dog food at the suggested maintenance quantity.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I gradually switched over to Hills Derm Defense dog food due to skin conditions my dog has and he has developed diarrhea getting worse each day!! Pooping all over the house!!! I DON"T RECOMMEND BUYING THIS PRODUCT!!! I'm stopping BEFORE he gets any sicker!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I mix Hills I/D low fat canned food with cooked chicken breasts in a 50/50 ratio twice a day. Keeps him from having colitis. Chicken costs $1.99 a pound, cheaper and more healthy than other dog foods.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

This food is good but my dog which is a pug does not like it no matter what I do. Usually he will eat anything. It’s duck-flavored Hills Prescription Diet.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Hill's Prescription Dental Care Chews - My dogs loved this chew and it is very good for their gum health. As my dogs are very picky, I was glad to find something they really liked. But for the value, anything like this is always overpriced. Once the manufacturer finds something that is good, they up the price.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My vet put a toy dog I was rehoming on Hills metabolic diet to lose weight but only had the regular size kibbles in stock. I weighed these out under strict instructions to exactly 20 for breakfast and 20 for dinner and each week he lost exactly 200 grams. He chomped them down although they may have been a little big? She then she ordered the same diet but in the Mini size. My toy dog PUT ON 200 grams of WEIGHT in 2 weeks to my horror (despite us weighing these) to the specific manufacturer's guidance. He continued to put weight on and we reduced twice the amount recommended by the manufacturer to the point the poor animal was ravenous and still not losing weight!

So I took him off this. Fed him instead measured white fish, seafood, pulses, veggies, fat free cottage cheese, boiled chicken and minced turkey, fat free milk and half a Weetabix for breakfast plus teaspoon of cider vinegar every day. He's now lost the 200 grams put on and has lost a further 200 grams in 3 weeks. Very dissatisfied with the Mini size metabolic weight reduction kibbles.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I talked to a Customer Service rep, named Leah on 8/8/17 about the K/D diet, she gave me good information and said she would send coupons for the diet food and treats. I talked to another Customer Service rep on 8/21/17 and told her I had not received the coupons. She apologized and said she would send them out. I talked to another Customer Service rep today, 8/29 and told her the coupons were still not received. She told me that if I did not get them by Sept. 11th, to give them a call. She told me it would take 10-14 days to get them, once they were sent out. I told her that a camel could deliver them faster than that. I told her that I would write a review about the customer service I received, and she did not care one iota. If the food is similar to the customer service, beware.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

This is a wonderful, healthy dog food especially for pets with specific problems like skin, stomach, overweight, kidney, metabolic issues like diabetes or joint and bone issues. It's no more expensive than other good brands but I've only found it at Petco to buy. You hand in a note from the vet that stays on file at petco as it's prescriptive food. Dogs seem to like the taste.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was told my 13year old Katie has high kidney levels, so my vet recommended Hills KD dog food. We tried a sample to see if she would eat it and she liked it, so the next day Saturday morning I bought a bag and 1 can to mix. Today Sunday Katie is shaking uncontrollably like she has the shivers. I will be taking Hills back to the vet and stick with her Natures Choice. Bad food.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Reading the stories about "Hills" dog food is disgusting! I have 2 of my dogs in the hospital right now, one with kidney disease and the other vomiting blood and bloody diarrhea. I have a third one at home with bloody diarrhea, hers is able to manage at home with antibiotics. My vet bills right now are already hitting $7000 this month, and my dogs aren't even home yet! I am ready to lose my mind! Something needs to be done about this!!! I couldn't figure out the common denominator between all of my dogs, but I think I just did. I'm really hoping my dogs pull through. The one with the kidney disease (Stuart) is in bad shape! If I lose him over DOG FOOD RECOMMENDED BY MY VET, how bad is that??? Someone PLEASE HELP!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I've been feeding my cat this food for over a year now based on the recommendation of my vet. At $75 for a 17 pound bag, it's crazy expensive but I believed it was worth it to give my cat quality nutrition. I never bothered to read the ingredients list because my vet prescribed it and it's extremely expensive, so why wouldn't it be great food?

A few days ago I decided to look at the ingredients and I was shocked to find that the first ingredient is chicken by-product meal! I did some research on what should and should not be in pet foods and was even more surprised to find that the first five ingredients in my cat's food are all on the list of what not to feed your pet: chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, powdered cellulose and dried tomato pomace. There's a lot of controversy around these ingredients and whether or not they are harmful to pets but it can't be denied that they are cheap versions of nutrients.

Why, then, is the food so outrageously priced? That's what I'm really struggling with. I've been paying $75 for a bag of food that is no better than the $20 cheap stuff you can get at your local grocery store. My instinct is to ask the vet these questions but the fact that this was recommended by my cat's vet has me wondering if I can trust anything they have to say. This whole situation has me extremely bothered and I feel like I've been lied to, not only by my vet but also by Hills. I will be transitioning my cat to something else, starting immediately.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I wish I had read all the reviews on this dog food. My 9 year shih tzu/Bichon was put to sleep on Saturday June 3rd for having pancreatitis and liver issues. He has been on Hills Diet d/d dog food for allergies. In March he got bad to the point of scratching and biting his hair off, becoming raw and smelling of yeast infection. The vet changed him to the z/t brand of Hills Diet and had different shampoo and conditioner. The rash went away and skin healed up. Sometime during the end of the first bag and start of the second 8lb bag he started having problems peeing and diarrhea started. He was scheduled for his shots and yearly check-up. Was told that this could just be bladder infection. I took him back in due the same issues as well as he was losing strength in his hind legs as well as losing weight.

After 5 days of anti-inflammatories and pain meds., in which he ate and drank better but still had bowel and urine issues. They check his blood and urine but nothing showed. June 1st he was throwing up numerous times. When I got home he was passed out laying in his own vomit. Rushed him to the vet. He was admitted and put on fluids through IV's. Dr. wanted him for 24 to 36 hours on the IV to get him hydrated and able to pee again. He was down 5 lbs through all of this. Called the vet to check on him the next day and was told he was resting comfortably and was able to pee a little. He thought he was improving. They ran another test and told me he had tested positive pancreatitis. They wanted another day on IV's and changed his food to another Hills brand with less fat. He thought this would still get him better and we would be able to take him home on a strict Diet.

The vet (a different one) called the next day and said we needed to talk. They had now done a X-ray and seen issues with the kidney. Was told that he couldn't go home and even keeping him on the IV's that they didn't think he would make it through the weekend. He was throwing up again still wasn't able to use his bowels or even lift his head. A very difficult and heart broken decision was made to say goodbye.

After reading the rest of all these reviews and how it's not regulated by the FDA makes me even more sick of the loss we had. Please continue to pursue the issues with this dog food. I cannot express how bad I feel about this loss. If you have to absolutely use this product, monitor your pet closely, especially the pancreas and liver. I would not recommend this food for any reason. The vets should also keep track of how many liver and pancreas problems arise when pets are on this food. Kickbacks for selling it would definitely be wrong if it is happening.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information