1.57/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

Looking for a good dog food brand?

230 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

Over the years I've researched quite a few pet food makers. I look for nutritional value and if my pets like the taste. Hills is sold at our veterinarian office, so of course I started with them. It was great, but with all these new companies coming out, I've tried a few. I should have left well enough alone. My little ones are back on Hills Science Diet and I should have never fell for other companies false claims. In my opinion, Hills Science Diet is the best!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our dog is experiencing many of the same symptoms as noted in all these recent reviews. It is a travesty that something that is available only via prescription is killing the pets it is designed to aid. We have been feeding our dog the Hills z/d Ultra wet and dry food for years without any issues. Now, our dog is fighting for its life. We noticed a lot of vomiting and runny poops. He was very lethargic and we had to let him out in the middle of the night to pee or he would have accidents in the house. He used to be able to sleep through the night. I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet said he has kidney failure. He is getting fluids intravenously today. Not sure he if he is going to make it.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Used many many years but this year used recall ZD and dog got so sick. She rather starve than eat it. I can only imagine the taste. She started drinking 3 times water and constantly peeing. She was lethargic and slept nonstop. Her lymph nodes were swollen. She limped and could hardly walk. She had diarrhea and vomiting. She went to vet about 6 times getting xrays and biopsies and intravenous drip. After weeks made my own food. Still seeing vet spending thousands but she is eating now. Still drinking lots water. Going vet tomorrow to check blood again and kidneys. She still is not herself. Am very sad. Didn't know about recall right away. Very sad. Quality control wasn't done on product and too much Vitamin D and poisoning her kidney. Never ever will buy Hills again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I accidentally found out today, about the January 31, 2019 recall. I've been feeding my 3 dogs this dog food for about a year, at my veterinarian's request, even though it went against my common sense. The poor quality of its contents was disturbing especially since it was for sick dogs. I discussed this with my vet and she assured me it was the best, because it was controlled as to what was in it, so better for the dogs. What a joke! I don't know how long I've been poisoning my babies but definitely been feeding them the recall. I never received an email from Banfield who prescribed the dog food! I'm a very upset mommy!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

As all the other pet owners my Moñeca started becoming very lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea, a lot of shaking. I took her to the vet and was told her kidney and liver were failing. They did blood work twice and could not figure out what was wrong. She had an ultrasound and doctor said she'd never seen anything like it. I started giving her regular blended chicken and vegetables. I gave her CBD oil. Stopped giving her Hill's Science Diet. This food would make her get worse. She survived, but it was a horrible experience and very expensive vet bills/tests. No more Hill's food for my pups.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

If I could select zero stars I would!! Their very expensive prescription food was recalled. This vitamin D recall is what killed my sweet Rottweiler. I found out about the recall the day after I had her put to sleep. I will never trust this company again!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This is so sad. My dog Bubba 16 years old was prescribe the metabolic and sensitive stomach and urgent care 'cause I told the vet Bubba had a flu with a cough and had vomited. Well the vet gave her antibiotics which cured the flu coughs but my dog later started to seem off on her balance. My dog stopped eating and pooping. It's been 2 weeks now and my dog has not been the same. Still not eating and pooping. My dog is so weak. The recall said the dog would recover after you stop giving the Hill's Science diet food. 2 other vet visits and they suggest putting her to sleep. This is so sad after putting trust in your Vet with Hill's Science Diet Dog Food.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Ella was diagnosed with bilateral renal dysplasia two years ago and had been on K/D up until she passed. About a week prior to having to put her down she no longer wanted to eat. She was vomiting everywhere, had diarrhea all day every day even in her crate and was soiling her bedding. I thought that her kidneys were just getting worse and took her to the vet. Her BUN had QUADRUPLED to 207 (the vet had to dilute her blood to even get this reading) so I had to make the choice to put her down for her health. Little did I know, two days later I would get an email from PetSmart stating there was a recall on her food.

I don't understand how a company that produces food for kidney care can let something like this slip through the cracks. I am demanding higher quality control from this company and looking towards pursuing a lawsuit to avenge my baby. Stay far away from this company if you are trying to save your dog's life. If I had known then what I know now, and that is this company has very poor quality control regulations then I would have NEVER listened to the vet and gave this food to my sweet baby. You took a life away Hills. And by the look of these comments she wasn't alone. Get ready for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This was my precious little Lucy Lou. She was 15 years old when she died on January 7th. While she was beginning to lose her hearing and her eyesight wasn't as for strong as it used to be, she still loved to run and play with her big sister. Our veterinarian put her on your c/d prescription dog food several years ago. She wasn't really keen on just eating the dried food, so I would put about three-quarters of a tablespoon to a tablespoon and mix it together. I would alternate between the chicken and the stewed flavors. I was in California during this past Christmas. My neighbor, who was taking care of Lucy, ran out of the canned dog food and went to our vet here in Vero Beach Florida to buy another.

This was 2 days before I returned/December 30th, 2018. I noticed that she was drinking more water than usual and urinating more frequently, but I wasn't connecting what was really happening. The night before she died she wandered the house and cried and cried. I immediately took her to the vet the next morning. She cried in the car, she cried in my arms as I rocked her. I thought it was just her time and made the decision to put her down. We could see how much pain she was in, how much she was suffering. Because she was such a healthy little girl, I felt she would die peacefully of old age, not so painfully. When you made it known on January 31st, 2019 that these products are tainted with toxic levels of vitamin D, I was horrified to realize that we were feeding her food that would, in fact, poison her! I have called your company three times explaining the situation wanting to speak with someone.

I had to wait on the phone a very long time to even speak to a representative. I gave that person my phone number and my email address. I have yet to hear from anyone in your company. I've also spoken to my vet who told me but they had never received any information regarding the recall of that particular dog food. I am in so much mourning and so much pain. I have lost a precious friend that I spent sharing 15 years of my life with. I am certain, beyond a doubt, that the last can my neighbor purchased at the end of December is responsible for the poisoning and death of my puppy.

Had this information been posted sooner I might have known that all that water that she was drinking and the frequent urination were signs of toxic levels of vitamin D in her system and we might have been able to save her! Saying that you are sorry and that you feel badly in no way compensates for the loss I feel. I will again reiterate, she died suffering a great deal of pain on January 7th 2019. You did not announce the recall until January 31st 2019. Too late to save my girl. Due to the fact, that you have not bothered to return my call. I will never buy any Hills dog food products!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our dog, Willow, had a sensitive stomach, but no life-threatening illnesses. The vet put her on Hills Prescription w/d canned food. After eating it for almost a year, Willow passed away suddenly last month. We saw 2 weeks later that the food she had been on had been recalled. We don't understand how a food that needs a prescription to buy isn't quality controlled. We hope no one else has to go through such a horrendous experience and will stay away from all Hills products.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Our vet prescribed this food for my dog's allergies in December, 2018. I ordered a case of 24 small cans and mixed it in with dry food. For the past week, my dog has been vomiting in the middle of the night and has been lethargic. I was planning to take him to the vet when I saw the recall on national news. Sure enough, his food is listed on the recall list.

When I called Hills' number and waited for half an hour, their "customer service" representative was rude and treated me very unprofessionally. When I asked her about a refund or replacement for my 24 cans of z/d, she said they were not there to provide refunds or replacements because they had no way of knowing if I had actually bought the cans. When I said I had the order number and tracking number, she still said they couldn't help me. This company will no longer get my business. My dog seems a little better since I stopped giving him the recalled food, but I will never buy products from such an unprofessional and UNSAFE company again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I wouldn't want any other family or dog to go through what we went through! December of 2018 we had been feeding our dog Hill's Prescription Diet I/D low-fat dog food along with dry food. He had been on this canned prescription diet for 6-8 years due to pancreatitis. He became lethargic, not eating, thirsty and drooling. Was taken to vet and had blood work done. He had extremely elevated kidney levels. The vet sent him home with fluids and antibiotics. Was told to come back if not getting better. He didn't make it more than 8 hours at home and passed away. Was then taken to emergency vet and this vet diagnosed him with kidney failure due to test results from previous vet (8 hours prior) and bleeding ulcers in mouth that previous vet never saw!

The 1st vet thought he had gotten into something. We could not figure out what he had gotten into as we have 2 other dogs that had no symptoms. They did not eat this food. The Hills recall had not been advised yet. Knowing what I know now I would never recommend this brand of dog food. This brand is veterinarian appoved and you need a prescription from vet to buy this food. Expensive food that killed my dog!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Our Mini Poodle (13 yo) had been prescribed Hills dog food by the vet about a year ago when diagnosed with diabetes. For the most part he liked the food and we didn't have any issue until 6 weeks ago when he suddenly could no longer hold it (pee and pooing every 60-120 min) and seemed chronically tired/in pain. While all his tests seemed normal and was in general good health, it was clear something was very wrong. Around Xmas we had to put him down and just attributed it to his "time." Come to find out a month later there had been a recall of Hills food due to the potential renal failure (or elevated Vitamin D as they articulate on the website). Things happen and the food was normally good, there's a reason why the vets prescribe it. Just know getting ahold of them is very difficult if you need to and please stay abreast of the latest recalls and report sudden changes in your pup as that helps all if there is a widespread issue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Hill's has announced another recall - yep, another one. This time for vitamin D poisoning. My Sheltie was "prescribed" a Hill's Z/D diet by our veterinarian for irritable bowel syndrome. Fine, I was more than willing to pay the price ($$$) for her health. Now I find out the quality control at this business is virtually none existent - one recall after another (you can do your own internet research regarding this company). My dog is sick now but hopefully I've caught it in time. My personal plan is to 1) Never have another Hill's product in my home and 2) Find another veterinarian - I would have never bought the product if I knew what I know now.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My veterinary clinic prescribes Hills prescription foods on a daily basis, and also order daily, However I had to find out from a client that the Hills food that I prescribed to her pet was on recall, What kind of company places your orders and still does not notify you personally of Recalls that can affect the life of your pet. I truly am dissatisfied with this and hopes the company finds a better way to deal with recalls.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Now have purchased our 3rd case of Hills d/d canned food and most cans in each cases are at least 1/4 empty. It is upsetting that with the cost of the food that you get 3/4 of a can. Now that we have used most of our canned food that it is a case missing. We have no choice to help our 12 yr old lab.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Recently diagnosed w/ diabetes, my Boston terrier was struggling to manage glucose levels. In an effort to support my diabetic dog & better manage his diabetes, I purchased the wet & dry - IT ALMOST KILLED MY DOG!!! One day (approx 2.5 weeks on food) he suddenly stopped eating; his glucose levels increased 300 points AROUND THE CLOCK! My Boston was admitted to ER and spent 3 days in hospital managing levels because he tested positive for ketoacidosis!!! He was seen by 7 vets, and one internal specialist, none of which could explain the downward spiral!! He was nursed back to health & the vet sent home. Later that night I stupidly gave my dog this food & he fell crippling ill!!! I may have to check him into the hospital again. The only thing he did was EAT THIS GARBAGE!!! DO NOT FEED THIS YOU YOUR PET!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My dog was very sick with all sort of allergies. We did tests and it showed that she is allergic to everything apart from food which was not true. She was allergic to grass!! She also was allergic to food. We tried a lot of different diets before Z/D food and it was such a relief when ZD worked. It was a lifesaver for all of us. There was no diarrhea, no vomiting anymore. She was on ZD for 4 years. My dog loved both varieties wet food and granules. She died yesterday and I am angry on the whole world but it was cancer which killed her. She was 12.

But if it wasn't for ZD we probably would have lost her much earlier as everything she eat was causing diarrhea or vomiting even Hills I/D food, but ZD was like a miracle. Read Kim's from Sacramento review it is very helpful. I am sure the foods that Hills or any other company make are not 100% perfect but nothing in this world is unfortunately. Take care of your pets and thank you to Hills ZD from my family. I am not going to benefit in any way from writing this review. I only want to share my experience. I found these reviews when I was looking if a healthy dog without allergies can eat ZD food as it is prescription food. I have a big bag of ZD granules and 4 packs of ZD cans left.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got my Saint Shepherd puppy about 3 weeks ago. She was 14 weeks old when I received her. She came from a nasty backyard breeder who was essentially starving the mom and puppies, keeping them in dirty conditions (the kibble they ate was thrown on top their waste and they were hardly given fresh water), they had lived purely outside since they were 3 weeks of age in the middle of the VA Beach summer where humidity is at 100% and temperatures reach up to 105 degrees.

When I picked my puppy up she was severely underweight, had horrible diarrhea and vomiting constantly. At first I thought it was because she was on a diet that consisted of adult kibble until I saw blood in her waste. I rushed her to emergency vet where it was found she had a bad case of hookworms. And if she hadn't been taken in by me then she would have been dead by that next week.

When I was able to take her home I was given cans of GI Hills dog food. She started gaining her weight back and the vomit and diarrhea stopped. After she was through with the cans I gave her Pedigree Puppy Chow. She did fine with it but her waste was constantly too soft. I did some research and knew I should get her a large breed puppy food and found that Hills sells one. I bought the Hills Large Breed Puppy Food Lamb and Rice and so far she is loving it. Her waste is solid and she's gaining weight and size at a steady rate.

I've read the reviews here and I do not think most the reviews do this brand justice. I do not know the circumstances of the other reviewers' animals so I can't say anything. But my experience with it so far is positive. My girl is healthy and is on the course to becoming a great dog, I plan on keeping her on the Hills Science Diet for a long time.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I have been making my cat's food for five years. They have always eaten "better" food but five years ago I switched them to raw food that I buy at the grocery store and bring home and grind and prepare myself. Our nearly 19 year old Tortie had been doing extremely well but after a severe ear infection and a round of antibiotics, she developed chronic diarrhea. We tried probiotics to stop it but it just wasn't stopping so naturally we took her to the vet. The vet suggested his probiotics and switching to Hill's i/d food. We agreed simply because she was suffering with diarrhea and we knew it needed to stop. Even with severe diarrhea she had gained 2 oz on the raw food since recovering from the ear infection.

At first, she gobbled the food down, couldn't get enough it, then all of the sudden she didn't want it. Not only did she not want that food anymore, she didn't want any food anymore. We tried switching her back to the raw and she just wasn't very interested in food anymore. This was a cat that constantly wanted to eat. The cats eat 3 times a day but she would always beg for food in between meals. One month after being on the i/d we took her back to the vet and she had lost 2 lbs and was down to just over 6 pounds.

Blood work was done 6 months prior and all of her numbers were stellar including the kidneys but the vet broke the news to us that she had kidney failure. She died at home 6 days later and all I can do is sit here and ask myself why the hell I trusted that food. Yeah, it stopped her diarrhea but she's dead and I don't think that's a fair trade at all. I will never feed my animals anything but my food again. P.S. For the first time I read the ingredients on the can... I can't believe we fed her that garbage.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was so alarmed & frustrated by the 1 star reviews here, I decided it was time for someone to share a little common sense. I have used 3 prescription diets from Hill's - on 3 different dogs - with successful outcomes for all of them. *1st & most importantly: Our dogs are not immortal (sadly). They do NOT live long lives (to our heartbreak). When we have companies, like Hill's, spending millions of dollars on research to attempt to provide products that help heal, maintain health, or extend the life of our pets by some standard of measure - we should be grateful. It wasn't too terribly long ago we had NOTHING. *2nd: Does anyone REALLY believe that Hill's goes through the trouble of extensive research & development to create products that injure or even kill our pets? Wouldn't that put them OUT of business? Do you REALLY believe that's their goal?

*3rd: Is it at ALL possible the pets in the reviews here were very very ill - and succumbed to their disease, and were going to die regardless if they used Hill's or nothing at all? The schnauzer with the 8 cm liver mass: That's deadly/terminal. By the time your dog was symptomatic, the disease was already well progressed. That's the unfortunate part about dogs - is they can't tell us they're not well until they're REALLY really sick. Your dog very likely had cancer that had already SPREAD and was in places that you had not biopsied (brain, spleen, lungs, stomach, kidneys, etc) nor could see or touch.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog, mine died of a blood cancer that had spread to the liver - age 11. Tried surgery, diets, everything - but all we could do at the end (2 mo after diagnosis) was make her comfortable as she slipped away. Dog food did NOT kill your dog, cancer did. :( And I feel your pain, I do. Dog food did NOT cause the cancer, either - and this is important... Dogs are exposed to the same elements we are - and just like us, we just do not know what causes cancer in our pets. Animals in the wild also get cancer.

Moving on - The dog who lost weight due to renal disease - Renal disease DOES cause weight loss - that's a MAJOR symptom of renal disease in pets (and even humans)! No matter what that person fed their dog, the dog was going to lose weight, and likely - ultimately -pass away from the kidney disease, or related failures. People die of kidney disease, too, even with transplants, diet changes, and dialysis - sometimes it's just not enough. Dogs are no exception.

I could go on and add my 2 cents on the other reviews - but I think my point is clear: When our dogs are showing serious symptoms of disease - they are already well into the disease (it has progressed), and all you can do is hope and pray their disease can be slowed or cured. If your dog has cancer - I'm sad to say - it's going to pass away from cancer. Blaming a dog food company who is financially invested in providing products that HEAL or HELP our pets is irresponsible. Unless you can directly correlate the consumption of their product to your dog's death or illness, it's defamation.

I have used Hill's prescription diets because our vet uses it on her OWN dogs! My dog with thyroid disease (among other things) was on R/D to get his weight down. It saved his life, as far as I'm concerned. Lost 12 lbs safely, with complete blood panels done throughout showing healthy organ function. Because of R/D his life was extended & it helped us manage his medical conditions. He died of prostate cancer at age 11. Our cat was on C/D Feline for years - and she lived an incredibly long life (16 yrs). Our present dog is on S/D in an attempt to dissolve bladder stones - we are crossing our fingers.

One last comment about bladder stones (w/regard to the complaint here that a dog developed stones because of c/d - which is an impossibility): No one knows why some dogs get bladder stones and some don't. But one thing we DO know 100%: Dogs will have bladder stones ALONG with an infection. So how did your dog get that infection? Who knows - but if you can eliminate the source of the infection, you can stop the development of struvite stones. There are other stones your dog can get that cannot be dissolved by a change in diet - they must be surgically removed, as they will NOT dissolve on their own... and they are deadly.

The idea situation is that you can catch a stone or retrieve one to analyze to determine what kind of stone it is. If you can do that - then your vet will know exactly how to treat it. As well - your dog will produce stones if their pH LEVEL in their urine is HIGH (above 6)! My dog has always eaten Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dry & canned foods... we have always kept his weight in check, and exercise him daily. But he got stones - and we blame NO ONE. It is what it is.

Losing a pet is pretty awful - that we can all agree on. We hate to see them suffer, and in our attempt to avoid the inevitable (that they just do not live long enough) - we invest in treatments that may or may not work. Here we have a company that develops food to try to save our pets is blamed for their deaths after being diagnosed with terminal illnesses... there is no logic in that. Science Diet has worked for us, we've had NO side effects or negative experiences over a span of 15 years of using their products, and we've been very satisfied with the results.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My 4 year old miniature Schnauzer had a few UTIs when she was 2 which was cultured finally and treated appropriately. At the time she also had an X-ray to rule out stones-and she had none. The vet thought it would be prudent to put her on Hills C/D diet to be safe. 2 years later she has 25 stones in her bladder. Emergency surgery to the tune of 2K and he still wants me to keep her on the food until she recovers and we know what kind of stones. I think not. I’m 100% confident this food caused her stones. I’ve never had any previous dogs on RX food and NEVER had this happen to any of them - BIG RED FLAG and she’s not going to continue on it. Shameful and I feel I’ve been mislead. We try to do the absolute best for our babies and then to have this happen. It’s just wrong. Terrible product in my opinion.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Our Jack Russell has been on this food for approximately three years. She has done very well on it until around the first of July when I opened a new bag. Each day, she has acted more strangely than the previous day, lethargic, depressed, and not begging for food, until several days ago she just wouldn’t eat and was throwing up foam-like vomit. I bought her a different brand of food. She still wouldn’t eat normally. She was very wary of eating anything, even treats, for a couple of days, but today she started eating and drinking. I’m not going to give her anymore of Hills (WD Dog Food). My gut tells me something is very wrong with this new bag of food.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My beloved Black Lab, Kati, lost her battle 3 days ago. Back in April 2018 a 8cm mass was found on her liver. Due to her age, 11, it was recommended that we just try to manage it. She was doing wonderful! You would never know she was sick. I put her on a homemade diet as dog food was the only thing that bothered her, would go right through her basically. I did my research on liver supporting foods. Her diet consisted of chicken, rice, cottage cheese, beef a couple of times a week, pure pumpkin, broccoli, carrots, hard boiled eggs and oatmeal all non seasoned of course.

Her follow up appt the beginning of June showed her liver enzymes were a tad bit higher than the month before but not significant enough to be of concern. I was told although the diet I was feeding her was good she is not getting certain things she needs and put her on Hills L/D dry food. With only 2 weeks being on the food she went downhill all of a sudden stopped eating, the week before her passing I was feeding her with a syringe just to get food into her. I believe this food made her worse/killed her! As all of a sudden her liver was so large it was pushing her stomach up. I am sick over this. I wish we didn’t trust our vets as much as we do, I’ll have no idea now if she would still be her alive and running if I had just kept doing what was working! R.I.P. Kati 7/10/18 <3.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After reading 6 - 1 star ratings on this product I quit looking. Most of them mirrored the trouble I was having after my dog ate this food: Shivers all over, immediate and extreme weight loss, and stopped eating completely. I bought this food from my vet for my dog with Kidney problems. Dog lost weight. - 5 lbs in 3 days while transitioning from her old food. She started having shivers all over. Nothing like that was happening before eating this food. I had to take my dog off of this stuff before it killed her. The bag I got smelled horribly RANCID. I should have trusted my senses and my dog and not used because of the smell from the start.

My dog was a food motivated cross-breed that loved and wolfed her food. 5 days of mixing with her old food -- after eating this stuff she was shaking, had lost 5 lbs (used to weigh 45 lbs) and has become a poor saggy, bony, thing and then she refused all food. If your dog says it is BAD... believe it. I am taking back to my vet. Also notice that this company is not enrolled in this system... I have to wonder if they even know, or care that this food may be BAD. Keep your dog healthy and take this food back if your dog won't eat it. There are plenty of recipes for HomeMade dog food.

Keep your dog healthy and take this food back if your dog won't eat it. There are plenty of recipes for HomeMade dog food for dogs with Kidney problems. Is it better to take a chance and do this ourselves, or watch them lose weight and shiver to death? I have had luck using real meat and rice to bring her appetite and her livelihood back. She has started gaining some weight and is back to her old self. It may be hard to get her back on dog food again. Bless our dogs and keep them safe and healthy. Thanks for reading.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Do not feed your pets this food. After I lost my job, no one would help us. Finally last night the Humane Society agreed to give us some food. Hill's Science Diet. I have watched in horror all night and day, the 8 week old kittens who I had taken in and cared for 2 months, lay and scream and suffer to death. The Humane Society would do nothing to help them. The forgotten felines who were supposed to be helping us with this feral cat explosion would not help at all. The emergency veterinarians refused to even euthanize the kittens for free and stop their pain and suffering. I guess the Humane Society who has now joined with animal control has found a faster and cheaper way to deal with the population.

I am so outraged over these fake foundations taking in millions who would not even give us a bag of food. They have yet to do one thing about all the feral cats and constant litters. I had taken these ones in, initially so that they would hopefully at least try and help me find them homes and get them fixed. They did nothing. None of these people give a ** about animals. They are using these foundations as a front for their nice paychecks, homes, and new cars.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My vet recommended putting my greyhound on Hill’s prescription food for kidneys since her numbers were slightly elevated. She ate it well for the first week but then ate less and less and now she won’t eat at all, even her old food or canned food. She has been acting very skittish and restless. I’m not sure what this food did to her, but she was always the first one to her bowl, and the first to finish, and now she won’t even go near her food bowl.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My cavalier was put on this food to rule out food related seizures. She had had prior to this food change a brain scan which was clear followed by a spinal tap which was also clear, total blood's again clear. (One blood was slightly elevated but that had been a constant for yrs.) The vet suggested a six week diet of Hills Z/D, the result of this food change has been daily diarrhea, excessive thirst and constant food begging.

Her coat has begun to lose colour along coat thinning. Intuitively I knew this food was not good for her but continued so as to negate food as a trigger for her seizures. (These are very small and don't bother her overly other than being occasionally tired.) Today I had her teeth cleaned along with an extraction so as to rule out any infection in her gums that could possibly be seizure related. I don't know that I would recommend this food as it's a personal choice but I won't use it ever again, I'm going to use Lily's Kitchen and hope her coat returns and her stomach settles.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My story is very similar to Bonnie's in OH. I have a 12 yo JR/Doxy mix, he was diagnosed with high kidney levels so the vet recommended Hill's Science Diet KD. We also tried a sample bag which my little guy loved. So we bought a larger bag, very expensive, I might add. He's been on it since 5/1/18. I noticed 3 days ago he was also shivering, it has been a bit chilly here. But, today it is 70 degrees and he is shivering. He has also been grinding his teeth, not a lot but enough to notice. I decided to read up on some of these reviews and found Bonnie's. I feel bad for feeding this food to Chippy but very happy I saw Bonnie's review. Chippy will no longer be eating this horrible food. I also read the ingredients, it's full of a lot of thing you can't even pronounce. This 3/4 full, very expensive dog food is going right in the trash. What an EYE OPENER. Thank You Bonnie.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have fed my last three dogs Hill's prescription Diet t/d dental care, and none have ever needed a surgical dental procedure, including cleaning. They have maintained healthy digestion and nutrition. The food is expensive, but worth it.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information