3.9/5 (270 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Hills Pet Foods

Hill’s creates science-based diets for your pets. The company emphasizes quality and employs people with a dietary background to propel its product development. Hill’s pet foods use high-quality ingredients, and the company performs daily safety checks on finished products to add an extra layer of protection.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Hills Pet Food

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I have had nothing but problems with Hill's to Home pet ordering system. I have tried to follow their system, placed several subscription orders with nothing but issues. Double orders, changed orders, credit card billed before delivery. The customer service staff have a very hard time reading their own system. My most recent order placed on 12/5/21 for 5 cases of low fat prescription dog food, was promised delivery 12/17/21.

After the order was not delivered on time I followed up and was told that the order would be delivered for sure on 12/20/21. It was not. On 12/21/21 I spent 2 hours trying to ascertain delivery details. It appears that the order had not even left the warehouse yet. No delivery date promised. I stated I no longer wanted the order, I was going away for a number of weeks and no one would be here to receive it for. I was told a supervisor would try to stop it and call me back. 3 hours later I received an email stating the order was shipped today and it was charged to my credit card. No call from the supervisor. Called back and spoke to another customer service rep who said the supervisor has tried to contact the warehouse 4 times to stop the order...She would call me later.

This company has the worst order system ever, they want you to place subscription orders and then cannot fulfill their promises on time. Previous subscription orders have been double shipped (two times) and I've been a customer for less than a year. Save yourself the hassle and order a different product from a different company. Even though the staff are kind and TRY to help, they can't (perhaps poor training). Hillstohome is the very worst ever!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I started my Miniature Schnauzer on Hills Science Diet C/D dry food in August 2021. She started wetting her bed after she began the C/D diet and then began vomiting once a week and has graduated to every day. I believe it's related to this food because she has never been a puker. I wish I had read the other reviews about this before starting this food. My poor girl.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

My diabetic dog was prescribed Hills W/D prescription diet by the vet because it can conveniently be delivered to my house. He ate the first bag just fine, but then just after I ordered and opened the second bag, he totally would not accept it. Just looked away. This is a rescue dog who has NEVER refused anything to eat. Even would not accept the canned food. So, I understand that, ** happens. But when I emailed Hills and asked for some kind, any kind, of response, they just ignored my email. Totally unacceptable behavior. I'm out of over $130. Seriously lacking customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2021

January 2 2021 we bought Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin, Chicken Recipe, 30 Lb Bag from Amazon. We put the first bowl out around the 7th. On the 11th we had two very sick puppies Annie Lynn and Apple Lane (Acute poisoning) of the liver. Annie Lynn lost her battle and passed away February 11 2021. It was a hard road for Apple Lane but she did make after it's all said and done. We spent a little over 12 thousand dollars on Annie and Apple's medical trying to save their lives. We contacted Hills and they sent us coupons ** coupons. After days on the phone and emails we find out what Hills needs and wants and sent it to them. Now it's been 4 months and no word. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking Hill's cares about you or your animal. They don't. They're all about the money. If your animal dies they don't care. They got their little money and that's all that matters to Hills.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Lambchop my Maltese was diagnosed with a congenital liver shunt~thus along with meds he required a strict diet with very limited protein. The one food he seemed to tolerate was Hills Rx L/D (wet). I'm not sure he was getting all the vitamins and everything he did need but at least the L/D food wasn't creating ammonia or causing neurotoxins to build up~and he remained stable. Until this February when Hills abruptly, randomly~without warning or explanation~stopped supplying this product! No recall notice, no heads up just out of the blue it was neither available in stores nor online anywhere.

I cont'd to search frantically~ while just trying to prepare any foods (rice, sweet potato, oatmeal) that at least wouldn't cause him to spiral. Eventually his vet wrote for another Rx hepatic support dog food but that was poorly tolerated by Lambchop. I contacted Hills Consumer Affairs repeatedly~ and each time was given a different story. I felt totally helpless, as I watched my beloved companion succumb to the sudden, debilitating effects of liver dysfunction. Brave to the very end eventually by April his effect was dull and he was barely lucid as the neurotoxins had begun bathing his brain. :( Had we been given any warning that his liver support food was being discontinued~a recall notice, anything~I might have had time to research and locate alternatives. Irresponsible breeding destined Lambchop for a challenging life~but Hills negligible actions sealed his fate and he died on Easter at just three years of age.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Please if you love your animals do the research before giving them Hills Pet Food. Yes every vet pushes Hills, they are a faceless company that is surely in cahoots with the despicable factory farms across this country. Not one word on their website addresses QUALITY or the SOURCE of the animals used in their products. Just google images of factory farms, sick, abused animals do not make healthy food. IE. PORK BY PRODUCTS - HOW in the world is PORK BY-PRODUCTS good for my cat.

It's basically the garbage swept up off the killing floor, and is the FIRST ingredient in their C/D brand of food for cats. Sure it might help my cat's urinary tract but it will probably get them sick in some other worse way. Just read some of these testimonies here, and goole HILLS LAW SUIT. FOR SHAME on Hills for their deceptive practices. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH. Hills does not care about your pets, they are all about the bottom line and keeping sick factory farms in business.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I beg you to read what I have to say because it may save a pet's life. Vets sell the Hills food for pets (also called the Science Diet). Research them- 35 lawsuits have been filed against them, and have been combined into one federal lawsuit. Pets are dying after eating their food. Cancer causing aflatoxins were found in their food. Organs are shutting down after starting the Hills diet. Several sources claim vets make a profit through the Hills by pushing their products. Do the research. All I know is that I held this angel of a dog, dying too young from cancer, in my arms on the way home from an oncologist in Redwood City who said he was too far gone for chemo. And when the cancer started to take over his lungs and he struggled to breathe well, I cried my soul out as he was euthanized in my arms.

This dog has been seeing this vet since we got him. I saw what he was eating and immediately warned my Mom- she said "but the VET recommended it." Then, his kidneys started failing. Then a year later, cancer spread like wildfire before we could do chemo. Is the Hills responsible, and this vet? I'm not a scientist so I can't tell you- HOWEVER, WHY WOULD A VET SELL AND PUSH A PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN SUED AND CLAIMED TO KILL PETS BY THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. There are so many brands out there that don't have people claiming this, why not choose one of those instead? Save your pet's life. Do not feed them the Hills. Do not trust a vet that actively stands by and possibly profits from a product thousands of people say have killed their pets. I miss my angel so much and I don't want anyone to go through what we did.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Gave my girl a bad liver. I hope we caught it in time. She's been on it for about six months. Was having teeth cleaning so we did pre-blood work. High liver enzymes. Has to be that food. Last time she had blood tests, her tests were great. Changed her food back to previous. Hope she makes it through.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My first order for Little Yorkie was Vet Script for canned & bag dry food. We were to blend as required. Smallest size order was pack of 12 cans & 8.5 lb bag of dry chunks. The freaking chunks were too big for his mouth, so we had to crush (probably liberating its vitamin efficiency). Next a can of solid food would last a week in that mixing with dry each meal required only a tablespoon of wet for each of 3 meals per day. Here’s the hitch, by the time we opened the 3rd can of wet food we discovered it was half to 5/8 liquid. DAH! I’m buying water in cans at a rate of $45/12 pack of cans. A Freaking RipOFF! Immediately called Tech support, pulled Teeth for 30 minutes to get some ignorant CS to understand what the actual issue was. One person actually said it makes no Diff whether it’s liquid or solid in can, it still has same amount of ingredient value. DAH! ** I said. Bye!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

What is WRONG with Hill's???? I had to start feeding one of my senior cats prescription Z/D dry food a few months ago. Things started out well because she liked the size, consistency and taste of the Z/D - she would wolf it down. THEN just recently Hills changed to a "new formula & kibble" (red label now on the bag). HORRIBLE. The food pellets are BIGGER and HARDER and my cat HATES it. She won't even eat it until she gets really hungry. And I have no choice because she has severe IBD and can't eat anything else. What freaking nimrod at Hill's decided they needed to change the formula/food so drastically???? THEY TOTALLY RUINED THE FOOD!

Hills Pet Foods Company Information