1.65/5
  • 1 star
Based on 161 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 29, 2017

186 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Hills I/D Low Fat has been good for my dog's stomach. The only thing I notice is that it still has a lot of fat. And, I would prefer that it would be organic for the price that I am paying. My dog does like the two flavors that they have the stew and the original flavor, but it would be even better if they had more flavors available. And, I would also prefer that they have a lower amount of grain in the food.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dog was a fighter for her life. She had bounced back from many issues. Now she was old and had less resilience but was hanging on, going about her business in spite of a week and a half of diarrhea and weight loss. I took her to the vet because it had been going on so long. Since she was a puppy I had been feeding her real food, but I took a can of Hills i/d Digestive, thinking I could just use it for a few meals to firm up her bowels. After two meals, half a can, she was unable to get up off the floor on her own.

I stopped immediately and went back to real food, but it was too late. It gave her that push downhill and she kept getting worse. The diagnosis, which didn't come back until after she died, was pancreatitis and failure to absorb nutrients in the colon. Yes, she had problems already, but she was hanging on until the Hills. Two servings, and she wasn't hanging on anymore. I can't afford to sue myself, but if anybody wants a class, I would be so grateful to join it. Murderers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our dogs were overweight and after being on this Metabolic Dry Dog Food for 1 month they both had lost weight. They continue to lose pounds and when they get to the preferred weight for their build we will feed them the same dog food at the suggested maintenance quantity.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I gradually switched over to Hills Derm Defense dog food due to skin conditions my dog has and he has developed diarrhea getting worse each day!! Pooping all over the house!!! I DON"T RECOMMEND BUYING THIS PRODUCT!!! I'm stopping BEFORE he gets any sicker!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I mix Hills I/D low fat canned food with cooked chicken breasts in a 50/50 ratio twice a day. Keeps him from having colitis. Chicken costs $1.99 a pound, cheaper and more healthy than other dog foods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

This food is good but my dog which is a pug does not like it no matter what I do. Usually he will eat anything. It’s duck-flavored Hills Prescription Diet.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Hill's Prescription Dental Care Chews - My dogs loved this chew and it is very good for their gum health. As my dogs are very picky, I was glad to find something they really liked. But for the value, anything like this is always overpriced. Once the manufacturer finds something that is good, they up the price.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My vet put a toy dog I was rehoming on Hills metabolic diet to lose weight but only had the regular size kibbles in stock. I weighed these out under strict instructions to exactly 20 for breakfast and 20 for dinner and each week he lost exactly 200 grams. He chomped them down although they may have been a little big? She then she ordered the same diet but in the Mini size. My toy dog PUT ON 200 grams of WEIGHT in 2 weeks to my horror (despite us weighing these) to the specific manufacturer's guidance. He continued to put weight on and we reduced twice the amount recommended by the manufacturer to the point the poor animal was ravenous and still not losing weight!

So I took him off this. Fed him instead measured white fish, seafood, pulses, veggies, fat free cottage cheese, boiled chicken and minced turkey, fat free milk and half a Weetabix for breakfast plus teaspoon of cider vinegar every day. He's now lost the 200 grams put on and has lost a further 200 grams in 3 weeks. Very dissatisfied with the Mini size metabolic weight reduction kibbles.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I talked to a Customer Service rep, named Leah on 8/8/17 about the K/D diet, she gave me good information and said she would send coupons for the diet food and treats. I talked to another Customer Service rep on 8/21/17 and told her I had not received the coupons. She apologized and said she would send them out. I talked to another Customer Service rep today, 8/29 and told her the coupons were still not received. She told me that if I did not get them by Sept. 11th, to give them a call. She told me it would take 10-14 days to get them, once they were sent out. I told her that a camel could deliver them faster than that. I told her that I would write a review about the customer service I received, and she did not care one iota. If the food is similar to the customer service, beware.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

This is a wonderful, healthy dog food especially for pets with specific problems like skin, stomach, overweight, kidney, metabolic issues like diabetes or joint and bone issues. It's no more expensive than other good brands but I've only found it at Petco to buy. You hand in a note from the vet that stays on file at petco as it's prescriptive food. Dogs seem to like the taste.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was told my 13year old Katie has high kidney levels, so my vet recommended Hills KD dog food. We tried a sample to see if she would eat it and she liked it, so the next day Saturday morning I bought a bag and 1 can to mix. Today Sunday Katie is shaking uncontrollably like she has the shivers. I will be taking Hills back to the vet and stick with her Natures Choice. Bad food.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Reading the stories about "Hills" dog food is disgusting! I have 2 of my dogs in the hospital right now, one with kidney disease and the other vomiting blood and bloody diarrhea. I have a third one at home with bloody diarrhea, hers is able to manage at home with antibiotics. My vet bills right now are already hitting $7000 this month, and my dogs aren't even home yet! I am ready to lose my mind! Something needs to be done about this!!! I couldn't figure out the common denominator between all of my dogs, but I think I just did. I'm really hoping my dogs pull through. The one with the kidney disease (Stuart) is in bad shape! If I lose him over DOG FOOD RECOMMENDED BY MY VET, how bad is that??? Someone PLEASE HELP!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I've been feeding my cat this food for over a year now based on the recommendation of my vet. At $75 for a 17 pound bag, it's crazy expensive but I believed it was worth it to give my cat quality nutrition. I never bothered to read the ingredients list because my vet prescribed it and it's extremely expensive, so why wouldn't it be great food?

A few days ago I decided to look at the ingredients and I was shocked to find that the first ingredient is chicken by-product meal! I did some research on what should and should not be in pet foods and was even more surprised to find that the first five ingredients in my cat's food are all on the list of what not to feed your pet: chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, powdered cellulose and dried tomato pomace. There's a lot of controversy around these ingredients and whether or not they are harmful to pets but it can't be denied that they are cheap versions of nutrients.

Why, then, is the food so outrageously priced? That's what I'm really struggling with. I've been paying $75 for a bag of food that is no better than the $20 cheap stuff you can get at your local grocery store. My instinct is to ask the vet these questions but the fact that this was recommended by my cat's vet has me wondering if I can trust anything they have to say. This whole situation has me extremely bothered and I feel like I've been lied to, not only by my vet but also by Hills. I will be transitioning my cat to something else, starting immediately.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I wish I had read all the reviews on this dog food. My 9 year shih tzu/Bichon was put to sleep on Saturday June 3rd for having pancreatitis and liver issues. He has been on Hills Diet d/d dog food for allergies. In March he got bad to the point of scratching and biting his hair off, becoming raw and smelling of yeast infection. The vet changed him to the z/t brand of Hills Diet and had different shampoo and conditioner. The rash went away and skin healed up. Sometime during the end of the first bag and start of the second 8lb bag he started having problems peeing and diarrhea started. He was scheduled for his shots and yearly check-up. Was told that this could just be bladder infection. I took him back in due the same issues as well as he was losing strength in his hind legs as well as losing weight.

After 5 days of anti-inflammatories and pain meds., in which he ate and drank better but still had bowel and urine issues. They check his blood and urine but nothing showed. June 1st he was throwing up numerous times. When I got home he was passed out laying in his own vomit. Rushed him to the vet. He was admitted and put on fluids through IV's. Dr. wanted him for 24 to 36 hours on the IV to get him hydrated and able to pee again. He was down 5 lbs through all of this. Called the vet to check on him the next day and was told he was resting comfortably and was able to pee a little. He thought he was improving. They ran another test and told me he had tested positive pancreatitis. They wanted another day on IV's and changed his food to another Hills brand with less fat. He thought this would still get him better and we would be able to take him home on a strict Diet.

The vet (a different one) called the next day and said we needed to talk. They had now done a X-ray and seen issues with the kidney. Was told that he couldn't go home and even keeping him on the IV's that they didn't think he would make it through the weekend. He was throwing up again still wasn't able to use his bowels or even lift his head. A very difficult and heart broken decision was made to say goodbye.

After reading the rest of all these reviews and how it's not regulated by the FDA makes me even more sick of the loss we had. Please continue to pursue the issues with this dog food. I cannot express how bad I feel about this loss. If you have to absolutely use this product, monitor your pet closely, especially the pancreas and liver. I would not recommend this food for any reason. The vets should also keep track of how many liver and pancreas problems arise when pets are on this food. Kickbacks for selling it would definitely be wrong if it is happening.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I have 3 cats. My female got UTI and had stones. My vet wanted to put her on Hills C/D along with my other 2 cats. I already knew from family and friends this was a terrible food and made their animals sick. I have heard plenty of horror stories. I gave in and bought the over priced, over rated prescription food. My sick female threw up the wet along with my male cat. My 3rd cat refused to eat it (Smart cat). So I tried another flavor and they both threw that up too, twice and also the dry. They choked down the dry, they did not like it. After 2 days of feeding this food, all 3 cats became constipated.

Now I had 3 sick cats and had to take them to the vet. I talked with a Hills rep and she made excuses. I asked her if she knew the ingredients and she said yes, I know a lot about this. I then asked if she was a Nutritionist. No she was not. I got nowhere with this person, trying to blame it on anything but the dry and wet Hills C/D. I have always fed my cats excellent wet and dry. Once I got them back on good nutritional food, they all were able poop and my sick cat got well. I wrote 2 truthful bad reviews and of course they never posted them on their website. They only post good reviews. Shame on them for not allowing the bad reviews, because there are plenty! Please beware of this food and don't create a nightmare for your cat or dog.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I am writing this review to let every pet owner know never to use any Hills product pet foods! It all started when I took my two-year-old Shichon Jasper to his yearly veterinarian examination. He received all of his vaccines and the vet told me he was a few pounds overweight and recommended that I put him on the Hills prescription metabolic diet. I purchased two cans of the wet food to start mixing it in with the grain free dry food I had been giving him for a year and a half. Approximately five days later he became deathly ill. He was profusely vomiting until there was blood in it and had diarrhea so bad. His stool was very mucousy and bloody. I took him to the vet immediately to have his stool tested to make sure he didn't have any parasite. Everything came back negative! They started him on a daily medication called ** for the diarrhea and gave him an anti-nausea injection.

I couldn't understand what had happened to my perfectly healthy baby boy. He was completely lethargic and not doing very well at all. They sent me home with a different Hill's prescription wet food I/d for sensitive stomachs and told me to start using that instead. After two days he still was not bouncing back at all. The vet called to check on him and suggested that he may have a problem with his liver and wanted me to bring him back for blood work in a week or so. We trust our vets to Take care of our beloved pets so why would we think they would ever do anything to harm our pets? I racked my brain day and night trying to figure out what could have possibly happened and then it hit me like a ton of bricks! I remembered when he was 12 weeks old I had him on Hills Science Diet puppy food. He had almost the exact same symptoms until I finally took him off of it and switched him to another brand.

I thought, "Could it really be a coincidence that a few days after I started him on the Hills metabolic diet he got so deathly ill?" I began researching online and found hundreds and hundreds of complaints From consumers that also purchased Hills products. Some of them ranged from their pets becoming deathly ill and some even reported the unfortunate death of their pets! I couldn't believe what I was reading. How could this be happening to so many people and this product still be on the market and the veterinarian still be prescribing it. Well I will tell You why! It is a huge moneymaking racket for veterinarians. They get Enormous kickbacks from the Hills company! Unfortunately dog food is not regulated by the FDA I so it is difficult to identify and report a problem. I am completely beside myself that such a horrific thing is going on!

After a completely sleepless night I woke up the next morning and ran to the grocery store so that I can cook my dog fresh chicken and rice. I am proud to report that my dog has made a miraculous recovery! The vomiting and diarrhea has completely stopped and he is beginning to act like his old self again! Thankfully this nightmare only went on for 10 days So we believe the toxic damage that has been done is completely reversible. For some people unfortunately they have not been so lucky. Their pets were on the product for way too long and there was irreversible kidney and liver damage that eventually killed their pets! I have vowed that I will make it my mission to take down this company Along with any veterinarians that continues to prescribe it! It is nothing but poison toxic crap!! Please do not ever give this to your pet!!!

Original review: April 28, 2017

Neither myself nor my cat are happy about Hill's Prescription Diet C/D for cats with urinary problems. Here is what I have found: Winston gets the dry c/d, canned pate, and occasionally the "stew." First off, they are lying: the stew has "chicken" listed on the front of the can, yet when I read the ingredients, the first one is pork! What? Winston does not like this food; in fact, I end up throwing most of it out. When he does manage to choke this ** down, he pukes it up all over the rug. Oh, I'm sure they will say it is some problem with the cat. No, wrong! The price of a 5.5 oz. can of the pate is almost $2.00. This is outrageous! It is all made from guts and other animal parts that no human being would want to eat. I am going to start making my own cat food. I have done a lot of research. Anything would be better, cheaper, and healthier for animals than this stuff.

Lastly - I logged on to Hill's Prescription Diet website and tried to fill out a form with my questions. The website form is dead-in-the-water. It does not work. When I got down to filling in my questions/complaint, the textbox would not accept any characters. I thought it was because I hadn't filled in the product code or the manufacturer's code. Nope! That had nothing to do with it. I couldn't type in those textboxes either. I hate this product!!!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I work for a veterinary office, we were sent a sample of dental chews in February. One was labeled as small dog, the other large dog. Nowhere on the box or the front of the individually wrapped package can you find a weight restriction. You must look under the flap at the tiny print, and it is tiny print. I gave my 2 year old, 6 pound chihuahua one listed for small dogs, she somehow got the chew lodged in her throat.

We ended up in emergency surgery because the chew was lodged and had adhered to the lining of her esophagus. She was scoped in hopes of removal, instead it had to be pushed into her stomach. It would not dissolve or break apart, the doctor had no choice. Her esophagus still has some of the chew lining it, since she has so much damage and ulceration she ended up with stomach surgery to remove the chew and a feeding tube which may or may not be permanent. Only time will tell if her esophagus will constrict and keep her from eating on her own. Bare minimum, one month. So, we wait and pray.

I contacted Hill's and was told it was not tested or recommended for dogs under 10 pounds. I told them that nowhere was that plainly observable on the packaging, they just said "sorry". I was also told that 83% was digestible. What the heck is in the other 17% that is not? Meanwhile I almost lost my dog because of a chew I thought was a good thing for her teeth given it was from a reputable company. I am grateful that my girl will be able to live even if she must eat through a feeding tube the rest of her life. I am emotionally and financially drained, she just looks to me for reassurance.

I can't begin to imagine the pain she was and is in, I feel terrible as a pet parent that I gave her the chew. I do however believe the packaging needs to be redone in bold print to alert others. I submitted a picture of her damaged and ulcerated esophagus and the dental chew for awareness. I do not want any other baby to have to go through this!

Original review: March 5, 2017

My 1-year-old puppy was a rescue. Shortly after adopting him, he went into acute kidney failure. So prescription Hills KD was recommended after he recovered. He was on that food for 2 1/2 years until recently. The 3 reasons why this dog food is a ripoff: 1. It now costs $90.00 for a 27 pound bag which is ridiculous as it has been around for years and years. 2. I cannot afford it on what I make. 3. My dog has now got a never ending rash and no hair left on his tummy.

There are no other factors which should cause this. I looked at the "secret, new technology food enhancement" ingredients and it has an overwhelming list of bad things for dogs to eat, including corn, chicken by-product, and beet pulp. Check the ingredients yourself and switch to a better quality dog food that is not prescription. This company no longer should be a reputable company any longer! Preying on people for low grade, extremely cost prohibitive dog food!

Original review: March 4, 2017

My American Bulldog from the last 3 days. Three days ago we had reached a 50% transition from Infinia to the Hill's Z/D when his skin exploded into huge patches of friable pus. He was biting at himself in a frenzy. I treated him as best I could - peroxide, medicated shampoo, **, talcum - but I also removed the Hill's kibble from his meals. He showed immediate improvement. Within hours he had only a few moist patches, & several spots had scabbed up (good sign!!).

By today, Friday, he has 1 small moist patch & everything else is healing up. He's got a bunch of pink areas & has scratched, casually, once all day. This is how quickly he has begun recovering once that crap food was removed from his diet. Do you know that one of the ingredients in it is sawdust (called "cellulose")?? I'm so mad at myself for making such a bad decision.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I took my cat to the vet for bloody urine. She has a couple kidney stones. She was put on Hills CD Urinary Wet cat food. After 6 days she became very ill, throwing up, refusing to eat, barely drinking and very lethargic. This is a perfectly healthy cat until eating this food. Now her liver enzymes are high, they are talking about pancreatitis, and of course want to do more very expensive tests. Until eating the Hills CD she was fine. Except for the kidney stones she has been perfectly healthy. Until eating this food then very ill over night. Beware about this food.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I want to thank all of the loving parents who posted here and stopped me from falling into the abyss that Hill's Prescription Diet seems to have skillfully crafted for so many of us who find ourselves wanting to listen to the veterinarian who we've trusted with our precious babies for so long and who we've probably even - in my case - come to admire. When my little black panther who is 19 years young started to be constipated too often and cry at the box I took him to his doctor. We ran blood tests and found that they were really way better than expected for his age. (Thank You God). His doctor had worried about his kidney but the count was not off except for I think she said by one point? This was last Friday, 3 days ago. However, In addition to the medication for constipation, she sent him home with some Hill's Prescription Diet k/d dry kibble to give along with his regular food.

He began eating the k/d immediately and even kept coming back to that bowl only and munching away. Then he started drinking water a lot, a whole lot more than usual. He was fine Friday. Saturday he slept all day. You may think that's normal for a cat who is 19 but not him. He gets up with his "sister" and plays, comes and sits with me and loves on me, cruises the windows for birds and squirrels, etc. He didn't do that on Saturday. Sunday he woke me at 1, 2, and 3am until I would come lie with him in the living room on our snuggle chair. Then the rest of the day he was either passed out on his tree (not even raising his head to eat at feeding time) or walking very sluggishly like he was going downhill.

It's weird how so many of the other notes from pet parents depict their pets as seeming like this was now the end. THAT IS EXACTLY THE THOUGHT THAT WAS NAGGING AT ME AS WELL!!! His beautiful rich black fur seemed to have begun turning dry and ashy. His handsome little face looked dull. This happened in just 3 days! Well, I think it began happening and I was fortunate enough to listen to the angel on my shoulder and look up this awful food. I am a disabled senior so my cats and I spend a lot of time together and I'm very 'in tune' to my baby. What would've happened to my baby if he had stayed on this - I don't even want to think about.

I do have a couple of questions. For those of you who starred it up to 5. I just noticed you didn't mention much personal about your pet. Don't get me wrong, they are very short and to the point. I just wondered more about your pets I guess. The other question is this. Couldn't China be sending dog and cat meat as their ingredients? I thought they had very low regard for these pets anyway.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

If I'm reviewing this product one star, it's because I cannot rate it any less. Upon switching my dog onto Z/D Canine Small Bites and Z/D Canned Food, my dog experienced pancreatitis and was found to have bladder stones, and also a fatty growth on his eyelid. Considering the Z/D diet is a very strict and expensive diet that strictly prohibits any other food to be given, there could be no other culprit to his disease. He was initially started on Z/D diet for allergies.

I came to find out through his vet that this food is high in fat and known to cause pancreatitis. As expected and previously read on previous reviews that also shared the same experience, upon expressing my complaint to Hill's with medical bills and tests that all pointed to the food being the culprit, Hill's told me that my "claim does not qualify for reimbursement." I am currently working on pressing charges. Someone needs to put a stop to such a sick and selfish company that thrives on slowly killing our beloved pets.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I have a 12 y. o. Italian greyhound who was on this diet for couple years. The kidneys are not improving at all. Instead, she had pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease from being on this particular diet. My dog also experienced an acute kidney injury this summer and was at the Critical Care Unit for almost three weeks. We now stopped feeding her Hills Prescription Diet. Not just because the vet recommended, you must put your dogs on this diet. Do the research.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Back in June of 2015 I was very frustrated and worried that Hills Rx Low fat ID had caused my fur baby's bloody stools. Each time I took him to the vet he/she gave me more antibiotics to treat what they thought was inflammation of his bowels and or intestines. This same vet had also previously given my baby Hills Rx metabolic formula to help him lose the weight he gained when they gave him food that was high in calories and was for very active dogs. As many times as I tried to tell them that I believed it to be the metabolic food causing the problem they told me it wasn't. In my heart I knew that it was but I'm not a vet so I believed them.

After several months and vet visits, my brother finally recommended I use the vet he uses for his cats. When I went for the appointment I was told that the metabolic food is too harsh for some dogs and they do not tolerate it well. My baby was prescribed not just one medication but 3 different medications. It did the trick and we haven't had any bloody stools since. My baby has been on Hills Rx low fat ID since then with no problems. It wasn't the ID but the metabolic food that was causing all the trouble.

The moral of the review is to be careful of the vet that you use for your babies. This other vet obviously cared more about reputation than to admit they messed up and gave me the wrong food especially knowing that my baby had a very sensitive stomach. This was the second time they gave me the wrong food for my baby, the first one made him gain so much weight that 3 years later I am still trying to get the excess off him. I can forgive one mistake since it wasn't serious and they claimed it was an oversight but the second mistake could have cost my baby his life. Bloody stool is nothing to look lightly at and I believe that vet knew exactly what they were doing, trying to get rich off pet parents like me. Bottom line, I apologize to Hills for my bad review. AND, choose your vet as carefully as you choose your own doctors. Our pets are not property they are family. Shame on that vet for their greed or stupidity or both!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

This specific kind is to help with weight loss and keep joints moving. However, my guy has been on it for 6 months and has not dropped a pound. He gets fed by the directions on the can and the bag. It's called Metabolic & Mobility. It is a tuna stew. He wouldn't go near it for days. He ate out of hunger. I couldn't tell if it is helping his joints or not. All seems the same. I took him off the tuna because of its high count with mercury. And he is now on a supplement for his joints. Very high-priced with poor results.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Last year notice dog was vomiting frothy bile occasionally, a 6 lb Maltese. He eats this along with boiled chicken and rice plus vegetable. Last year had a small lesion on stomach and went to vet for ointment and anti bacterial soap not knowing what caused it. Last few months tried to increased his kibble. Vomiting every am just about and now has a bad skin eruption on abs size of a half dollar. I would not suggest anybody use this food ever. I have finally figured out what has been making him so ill and it is this food. Why would a company put out food with the first ingredient is corn starch and then cellulose?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

My dog was having allergy concerns indicated by his excessive licking of his paws. The vet suggested Hill's and we began with an 8 pound bag. Everything seemed to be fine and his paw licking stopped. His coat became very smooth and shiny. When I bought a 24 pound bag, his stools became loose and runny. After reading other individuals post, I felt as if I had to write this. My dog is my life and this makes me angry. Something has to have changed for my dog to have had this sudden reaction and nothing else has changed. There is not a manufacture date, but it says best before February 2019. The only other number I see is in MV84J208WV314.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

We have a 12 yr old Wheaten Terrier who has been on Hills Prescription Diet (Z/D canned and dry) for many years. He did fine on it for years. In late June he began vomiting and having loose stools. This became an ongoing discussion with our vet. In the meantime the vomiting continued - sometimes it was noticeable food, other times just bile or frothy wetness. He's lost several pounds. Last month our vet did allergy testing and he came up as allergic to soy, fish and rice. One of the main ingredients in Z/D is soy. Our vet felt that it was not likely that the soy in the z/d was bothering our dog because the protein is broken down supposedly beyond the point of reactivity.

I called Hills up and during a long conversation they finally admitted that they had tweaked the formula - supposedly they did not change the ingredients but they increased the amount of protein. This change was made in May 2016. In June 2016 our dog started puking/diarrhea. Three days ago after another trip to the vet and a discussion about the food I decided that I was going to try making food for our dog instead of feeding him the z/d. I have been feeding him a mix of browned chopped meat (beef), diced potatoes, peas & carrots and olive oil. He has not puked or had diarrhea at all in the past 3 days!

He has gone from puking literally 15 times a day to not puking at all. I don't know what Hill's did to the z/d, or what kind of "protein" they're using but it certainly was having a nasty effect on my dog. During my call to Hill's I also asked them to source the ingredients in Z/D - there are two ingredients in it from China (sorry but I can't remember which ones). Anyway, I'll never give another spoonful of that food to my dog EVER! BTW, it's now costing me less than half of what we were spending on the z/d to feed him "real" food.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

The store I bought food from spoken to Hills Prescription on my behalf to ask if ingredients have been changed. They advised the supplier ingredients not been changed. I do not believe this whatsoever! Since my dog has been taking new food she has been ill and been collapsing. She's 14 and has many illnesses, to include bad heart. When her gastric system is interfered with, she has collapses and her heart stops. She's only going out to the garden at the moment and this is causing the collapses. We are furious!!! If we had known, we could have slowly introduced her to the new food. Angry, angry.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information