1.71/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Hills Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

248 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

I want a food that has been tested by feeding trials in dogs. Hills is a reputable company whose products are backed by science. They use Quality ingredients and have their own labs and test facilities. The food is tasty, well tolerated, keeps skin and coat healthy, and produces firm stool with no smelly intestinal gas.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It is highly rated. My dog likes it and she is very healthy. The dog food doesn't have fillers and keeps her fit as she is very active. Never have any complaints from the vet and my dog never looks lethargic.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Over the years I've researched quite a few pet food makers. I look for nutritional value and if my pets like the taste. Hills is sold at our veterinarian office, so of course I started with them. It was great, but with all these new companies coming out, I've tried a few. I should have left well enough alone. My little ones are back on Hills Science Diet and I should have never fell for other companies false claims. In my opinion, Hills Science Diet is the best!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My dog was very sick with all sort of allergies. We did tests and it showed that she is allergic to everything apart from food which was not true. She was allergic to grass!! She also was allergic to food. We tried a lot of different diets before Z/D food and it was such a relief when ZD worked. It was a lifesaver for all of us. There was no diarrhea, no vomiting anymore. She was on ZD for 4 years. My dog loved both varieties wet food and granules. She died yesterday and I am angry on the whole world but it was cancer which killed her. She was 12.

But if it wasn't for ZD we probably would have lost her much earlier as everything she eat was causing diarrhea or vomiting even Hills I/D food, but ZD was like a miracle. Read Kim's from Sacramento review it is very helpful. I am sure the foods that Hills or any other company make are not 100% perfect but nothing in this world is unfortunately. Take care of your pets and thank you to Hills ZD from my family. I am not going to benefit in any way from writing this review. I only want to share my experience. I found these reviews when I was looking if a healthy dog without allergies can eat ZD food as it is prescription food. I have a big bag of ZD granules and 4 packs of ZD cans left.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got my Saint Shepherd puppy about 3 weeks ago. She was 14 weeks old when I received her. She came from a nasty backyard breeder who was essentially starving the mom and puppies, keeping them in dirty conditions (the kibble they ate was thrown on top their waste and they were hardly given fresh water), they had lived purely outside since they were 3 weeks of age in the middle of the VA Beach summer where humidity is at 100% and temperatures reach up to 105 degrees.

When I picked my puppy up she was severely underweight, had horrible diarrhea and vomiting constantly. At first I thought it was because she was on a diet that consisted of adult kibble until I saw blood in her waste. I rushed her to emergency vet where it was found she had a bad case of hookworms. And if she hadn't been taken in by me then she would have been dead by that next week.

When I was able to take her home I was given cans of GI Hills dog food. She started gaining her weight back and the vomit and diarrhea stopped. After she was through with the cans I gave her Pedigree Puppy Chow. She did fine with it but her waste was constantly too soft. I did some research and knew I should get her a large breed puppy food and found that Hills sells one. I bought the Hills Large Breed Puppy Food Lamb and Rice and so far she is loving it. Her waste is solid and she's gaining weight and size at a steady rate.

I've read the reviews here and I do not think most the reviews do this brand justice. I do not know the circumstances of the other reviewers' animals so I can't say anything. But my experience with it so far is positive. My girl is healthy and is on the course to becoming a great dog, I plan on keeping her on the Hills Science Diet for a long time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Our dog Dexter has been diabetic for 3 years and has been on the Hills Prescription Diet W/D for that entire time. He did well with it and his diabetes was managed. Last month I bought a new bag of this food from my vet and noticed that the packaging and the shape/size of the food had changed. Unfortunately the ingredients also changed and it has caused many issues with our dog. His glucose levels are not as predictable, he suffers from upset stomach, soft stools and tremendous gas. I will no longer buy anything from Hills. The changes to this food were not explained by Hills or advertised and I suspect the quality of the ingredients has gone down. Their food now makes my pet sick.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Hello, Only a few days into a vet prescribed Hills Metabolic Weight Management regime and my little Joey started displaying signs of confusion, disorientation, lethargy and even exhaustion or sedation and excess thirst as well. Joey's hind legs started shaking under his weight suggesting an impact on his nervous system? Joey has forgotten how to use the two little steps to help him up to the ottoman, which he normally does without thinking. It's really scary. I keep checking to make sure Joey is still breathing. About to take Joey for a short walk to hopefully get some of the poison out of his system. Really scary seeing Joey in this state. I ceased dispensing Hills Metabolic suspecting Joey is allergic and reacting to one of its components. Meanwhile, it's back to the previous diet perhaps in lower quantities. Regards, Seamus. :)

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Like many other dog consumers I was also referred to this brand by my vet. I was in the early stages of introducing the food to my Golden Retriever, actually day 7 of transition. I noticed that my dog began scratching one side of her neck constantly and developed sores. I brought her into the Vet to get checked out and while she was under and the shaved hair removed we could see that she had a strong reaction. It was bright red and bleeding from the top of her ear to under her neck. This was just what we could see of the area that had been shaved. She was given steroid, antiflammatory, antibiotics injections etc. Now she is on 12 tablets in all then going down to 8 tablets for 12 consecutive days. Needless to say like others I have gone back to her old regular dry dog food and hope all of this is behind her. I do not recommend this dog food and have thrown it out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Read the list of ingredients! This stuff is garbage and I’m not only upset that my vet told me to use it for my diabetic lab but also at myself for not checking the ingredients. Corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal...? No wonder I can’t get her glucose under control! Home feed!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I never really trusted or any brand sold by vets and never bought it, ever. Recently the vet gave us a trial bag. I gave it to my pit bull mix and rough collie. They both had really bad diarrhea the same color as the food. How gross.. Purina One (no chicken based dog foods of any kind) will always be our go to kibble for some portions of their meal. I primarily feed wholesome and raw. I love the small and harder poops! The less firm poops means the body has kept more from the meal and was indeed beneficial and nutritious. Like humans with processed food we can only eat it every so often. But can you imagine what it’s like every day for the rest of your entire life eating a sausage biscuit. Lol. The veterinary offices are really trying to sell this product. I will never get it again and threw out this bag! Sorry.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information