Hills Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wish I had read all the reviews on this dog food. My 9 year shih tzu/Bichon was put to sleep on Saturday June 3rd for having pancreatitis and liver issues. He has been on Hills Diet d/d dog food for allergies. In March he got bad to the point of scratching and biting his hair off, becoming raw and smelling of yeast infection. The vet changed him to the z/t brand of Hills Diet and had different shampoo and conditioner. The rash went away and skin healed up. Sometime during the end of the first bag and start of the second 8lb bag he started having problems peeing and diarrhea started. He was scheduled for his shots and yearly check-up. Was told that this could just be bladder infection. I took him back in due the same issues as well as he was losing strength in his hind legs as well as losing weight.

After 5 days of anti-inflammatories and pain meds., in which he ate and drank better but still had bowel and urine issues. They check his blood and urine but nothing showed. June 1st he was throwing up numerous times. When I got home he was passed out laying in his own vomit. Rushed him to the vet. He was admitted and put on fluids through IV's. Dr. wanted him for 24 to 36 hours on the IV to get him hydrated and able to pee again. He was down 5 lbs through all of this. Called the vet to check on him the next day and was told he was resting comfortably and was able to pee a little. He thought he was improving. They ran another test and told me he had tested positive pancreatitis. They wanted another day on IV's and changed his food to another Hills brand with less fat. He thought this would still get him better and we would be able to take him home on a strict Diet.

The vet (a different one) called the next day and said we needed to talk. They had now done a X-ray and seen issues with the kidney. Was told that he couldn't go home and even keeping him on the IV's that they didn't think he would make it through the weekend. He was throwing up again still wasn't able to use his bowels or even lift his head. A very difficult and heart broken decision was made to say goodbye.

After reading the rest of all these reviews and how it's not regulated by the FDA makes me even more sick of the loss we had. Please continue to pursue the issues with this dog food. I cannot express how bad I feel about this loss. If you have to absolutely use this product, monitor your pet closely, especially the pancreas and liver. I would not recommend this food for any reason. The vets should also keep track of how many liver and pancreas problems arise when pets are on this food. Kickbacks for selling it would definitely be wrong if it is happening.

I have 3 cats. My female got UTI and had stones. My vet wanted to put her on Hills C/D along with my other 2 cats. I already knew from family and friends this was a terrible food and made their animals sick. I have heard plenty of horror stories. I gave in and bought the over priced, over rated prescription food. My sick female threw up the wet along with my male cat. My 3rd cat refused to eat it (Smart cat). So I tried another flavor and they both threw that up too, twice and also the dry. They choked down the dry, they did not like it. After 2 days of feeding this food, all 3 cats became constipated.

Now I had 3 sick cats and had to take them to the vet. I talked with a Hills rep and she made excuses. I asked her if she knew the ingredients and she said yes, I know a lot about this. I then asked if she was a Nutritionist. No she was not. I got nowhere with this person, trying to blame it on anything but the dry and wet Hills C/D. I have always fed my cats excellent wet and dry. Once I got them back on good nutritional food, they all were able poop and my sick cat got well. I wrote 2 truthful bad reviews and of course they never posted them on their website. They only post good reviews. Shame on them for not allowing the bad reviews, because there are plenty! Please beware of this food and don't create a nightmare for your cat or dog.

I am writing this review to let every pet owner know never to use any Hills product pet foods! It all started when I took my two-year-old Shichon Jasper to his yearly veterinarian examination. He received all of his vaccines and the vet told me he was a few pounds overweight and recommended that I put him on the Hills prescription metabolic diet. I purchased two cans of the wet food to start mixing it in with the grain free dry food I had been giving him for a year and a half. Approximately five days later he became deathly ill. He was profusely vomiting until there was blood in it and had diarrhea so bad. His stool was very mucousy and bloody. I took him to the vet immediately to have his stool tested to make sure he didn't have any parasite. Everything came back negative! They started him on a daily medication called ** for the diarrhea and gave him an anti-nausea injection.

I couldn't understand what had happened to my perfectly healthy baby boy. He was completely lethargic and not doing very well at all. They sent me home with a different Hill's prescription wet food I/d for sensitive stomachs and told me to start using that instead. After two days he still was not bouncing back at all. The vet called to check on him and suggested that he may have a problem with his liver and wanted me to bring him back for blood work in a week or so. We trust our vets to Take care of our beloved pets so why would we think they would ever do anything to harm our pets? I racked my brain day and night trying to figure out what could have possibly happened and then it hit me like a ton of bricks! I remembered when he was 12 weeks old I had him on Hills Science Diet puppy food. He had almost the exact same symptoms until I finally took him off of it and switched him to another brand.

I thought, "Could it really be a coincidence that a few days after I started him on the Hills metabolic diet he got so deathly ill?" I began researching online and found hundreds and hundreds of complaints From consumers that also purchased Hills products. Some of them ranged from their pets becoming deathly ill and some even reported the unfortunate death of their pets! I couldn't believe what I was reading. How could this be happening to so many people and this product still be on the market and the veterinarian still be prescribing it. Well I will tell You why! It is a huge moneymaking racket for veterinarians. They get Enormous kickbacks from the Hills company! Unfortunately dog food is not regulated by the FDA I so it is difficult to identify and report a problem. I am completely beside myself that such a horrific thing is going on!

After a completely sleepless night I woke up the next morning and ran to the grocery store so that I can cook my dog fresh chicken and rice. I am proud to report that my dog has made a miraculous recovery! The vomiting and diarrhea has completely stopped and he is beginning to act like his old self again! Thankfully this nightmare only went on for 10 days So we believe the toxic damage that has been done is completely reversible. For some people unfortunately they have not been so lucky. Their pets were on the product for way too long and there was irreversible kidney and liver damage that eventually killed their pets! I have vowed that I will make it my mission to take down this company Along with any veterinarians that continues to prescribe it! It is nothing but poison toxic crap!! Please do not ever give this to your pet!!!

Neither myself nor my cat are happy about Hill's Prescription Diet C/D for cats with urinary problems. Here is what I have found: Winston gets the dry c/d, canned pate, and occasionally the "stew." First off, they are lying: the stew has "chicken" listed on the front of the can, yet when I read the ingredients, the first one is pork! What? Winston does not like this food; in fact, I end up throwing most of it out. When he does manage to choke this ** down, he pukes it up all over the rug. Oh, I'm sure they will say it is some problem with the cat. No, wrong! The price of a 5.5 oz. can of the pate is almost $2.00. This is outrageous! It is all made from guts and other animal parts that no human being would want to eat. I am going to start making my own cat food. I have done a lot of research. Anything would be better, cheaper, and healthier for animals than this stuff.

Lastly - I logged on to Hill's Prescription Diet website and tried to fill out a form with my questions. The website form is dead-in-the-water. It does not work. When I got down to filling in my questions/complaint, the textbox would not accept any characters. I thought it was because I hadn't filled in the product code or the manufacturer's code. Nope! That had nothing to do with it. I couldn't type in those textboxes either. I hate this product!!!

I work for a veterinary office, we were sent a sample of dental chews in February. One was labeled as small dog, the other large dog. Nowhere on the box or the front of the individually wrapped package can you find a weight restriction. You must look under the flap at the tiny print, and it is tiny print. I gave my 2 year old, 6 pound chihuahua one listed for small dogs, she somehow got the chew lodged in her throat.

We ended up in emergency surgery because the chew was lodged and had adhered to the lining of her esophagus. She was scoped in hopes of removal, instead it had to be pushed into her stomach. It would not dissolve or break apart, the doctor had no choice. Her esophagus still has some of the chew lining it, since she has so much damage and ulceration she ended up with stomach surgery to remove the chew and a feeding tube which may or may not be permanent. Only time will tell if her esophagus will constrict and keep her from eating on her own. Bare minimum, one month. So, we wait and pray.

I contacted Hill's and was told it was not tested or recommended for dogs under 10 pounds. I told them that nowhere was that plainly observable on the packaging, they just said "sorry". I was also told that 83% was digestible. What the heck is in the other 17% that is not? Meanwhile I almost lost my dog because of a chew I thought was a good thing for her teeth given it was from a reputable company. I am grateful that my girl will be able to live even if she must eat through a feeding tube the rest of her life. I am emotionally and financially drained, she just looks to me for reassurance.

I can't begin to imagine the pain she was and is in, I feel terrible as a pet parent that I gave her the chew. I do however believe the packaging needs to be redone in bold print to alert others. I submitted a picture of her damaged and ulcerated esophagus and the dental chew for awareness. I do not want any other baby to have to go through this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

My 1-year-old puppy was a rescue. Shortly after adopting him, he went into acute kidney failure. So prescription Hills KD was recommended after he recovered. He was on that food for 2 1/2 years until recently. The 3 reasons why this dog food is a ripoff: 1. It now costs $90.00 for a 27 pound bag which is ridiculous as it has been around for years and years. 2. I cannot afford it on what I make. 3. My dog has now got a never ending rash and no hair left on his tummy.

There are no other factors which should cause this. I looked at the "secret, new technology food enhancement" ingredients and it has an overwhelming list of bad things for dogs to eat, including corn, chicken by-product, and beet pulp. Check the ingredients yourself and switch to a better quality dog food that is not prescription. This company no longer should be a reputable company any longer! Preying on people for low grade, extremely cost prohibitive dog food!

My American Bulldog from the last 3 days. Three days ago we had reached a 50% transition from Infinia to the Hill's Z/D when his skin exploded into huge patches of friable pus. He was biting at himself in a frenzy. I treated him as best I could - peroxide, medicated shampoo, **, talcum - but I also removed the Hill's kibble from his meals. He showed immediate improvement. Within hours he had only a few moist patches, & several spots had scabbed up (good sign!!).

By today, Friday, he has 1 small moist patch & everything else is healing up. He's got a bunch of pink areas & has scratched, casually, once all day. This is how quickly he has begun recovering once that crap food was removed from his diet. Do you know that one of the ingredients in it is sawdust (called "cellulose")?? I'm so mad at myself for making such a bad decision.

I took my cat to the vet for bloody urine. She has a couple kidney stones. She was put on Hills CD Urinary Wet cat food. After 6 days she became very ill, throwing up, refusing to eat, barely drinking and very lethargic. This is a perfectly healthy cat until eating this food. Now her liver enzymes are high, they are talking about pancreatitis, and of course want to do more very expensive tests. Until eating the Hills CD she was fine. Except for the kidney stones she has been perfectly healthy. Until eating this food then very ill over night. Beware about this food.

I want to thank all of the loving parents who posted here and stopped me from falling into the abyss that Hill's Prescription Diet seems to have skillfully crafted for so many of us who find ourselves wanting to listen to the veterinarian who we've trusted with our precious babies for so long and who we've probably even - in my case - come to admire. When my little black panther who is 19 years young started to be constipated too often and cry at the box I took him to his doctor. We ran blood tests and found that they were really way better than expected for his age. (Thank You God). His doctor had worried about his kidney but the count was not off except for I think she said by one point? This was last Friday, 3 days ago. However, In addition to the medication for constipation, she sent him home with some Hill's Prescription Diet k/d dry kibble to give along with his regular food.

He began eating the k/d immediately and even kept coming back to that bowl only and munching away. Then he started drinking water a lot, a whole lot more than usual. He was fine Friday. Saturday he slept all day. You may think that's normal for a cat who is 19 but not him. He gets up with his "sister" and plays, comes and sits with me and loves on me, cruises the windows for birds and squirrels, etc. He didn't do that on Saturday. Sunday he woke me at 1, 2, and 3am until I would come lie with him in the living room on our snuggle chair. Then the rest of the day he was either passed out on his tree (not even raising his head to eat at feeding time) or walking very sluggishly like he was going downhill.

It's weird how so many of the other notes from pet parents depict their pets as seeming like this was now the end. THAT IS EXACTLY THE THOUGHT THAT WAS NAGGING AT ME AS WELL!!! His beautiful rich black fur seemed to have begun turning dry and ashy. His handsome little face looked dull. This happened in just 3 days! Well, I think it began happening and I was fortunate enough to listen to the angel on my shoulder and look up this awful food. I am a disabled senior so my cats and I spend a lot of time together and I'm very 'in tune' to my baby. What would've happened to my baby if he had stayed on this - I don't even want to think about.

I do have a couple of questions. For those of you who starred it up to 5. I just noticed you didn't mention much personal about your pet. Don't get me wrong, they are very short and to the point. I just wondered more about your pets I guess. The other question is this. Couldn't China be sending dog and cat meat as their ingredients? I thought they had very low regard for these pets anyway.

If I'm reviewing this product one star, it's because I cannot rate it any less. Upon switching my dog onto Z/D Canine Small Bites and Z/D Canned Food, my dog experienced pancreatitis and was found to have bladder stones, and also a fatty growth on his eyelid. Considering the Z/D diet is a very strict and expensive diet that strictly prohibits any other food to be given, there could be no other culprit to his disease. He was initially started on Z/D diet for allergies.

I came to find out through his vet that this food is high in fat and known to cause pancreatitis. As expected and previously read on previous reviews that also shared the same experience, upon expressing my complaint to Hill's with medical bills and tests that all pointed to the food being the culprit, Hill's told me that my "claim does not qualify for reimbursement." I am currently working on pressing charges. Someone needs to put a stop to such a sick and selfish company that thrives on slowly killing our beloved pets.

I have a 12 y. o. Italian greyhound who was on this diet for couple years. The kidneys are not improving at all. Instead, she had pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease from being on this particular diet. My dog also experienced an acute kidney injury this summer and was at the Critical Care Unit for almost three weeks. We now stopped feeding her Hills Prescription Diet. Not just because the vet recommended, you must put your dogs on this diet. Do the research.

Back in June of 2015 I was very frustrated and worried that Hills Rx Low fat ID had caused my fur baby's bloody stools. Each time I took him to the vet he/she gave me more antibiotics to treat what they thought was inflammation of his bowels and or intestines. This same vet had also previously given my baby Hills Rx metabolic formula to help him lose the weight he gained when they gave him food that was high in calories and was for very active dogs. As many times as I tried to tell them that I believed it to be the metabolic food causing the problem they told me it wasn't. In my heart I knew that it was but I'm not a vet so I believed them.

After several months and vet visits, my brother finally recommended I use the vet he uses for his cats. When I went for the appointment I was told that the metabolic food is too harsh for some dogs and they do not tolerate it well. My baby was prescribed not just one medication but 3 different medications. It did the trick and we haven't had any bloody stools since. My baby has been on Hills Rx low fat ID since then with no problems. It wasn't the ID but the metabolic food that was causing all the trouble.

The moral of the review is to be careful of the vet that you use for your babies. This other vet obviously cared more about reputation than to admit they messed up and gave me the wrong food especially knowing that my baby had a very sensitive stomach. This was the second time they gave me the wrong food for my baby, the first one made him gain so much weight that 3 years later I am still trying to get the excess off him. I can forgive one mistake since it wasn't serious and they claimed it was an oversight but the second mistake could have cost my baby his life. Bloody stool is nothing to look lightly at and I believe that vet knew exactly what they were doing, trying to get rich off pet parents like me. Bottom line, I apologize to Hills for my bad review. AND, choose your vet as carefully as you choose your own doctors. Our pets are not property they are family. Shame on that vet for their greed or stupidity or both!

This specific kind is to help with weight loss and keep joints moving. However, my guy has been on it for 6 months and has not dropped a pound. He gets fed by the directions on the can and the bag. It's called Metabolic & Mobility. It is a tuna stew. He wouldn't go near it for days. He ate out of hunger. I couldn't tell if it is helping his joints or not. All seems the same. I took him off the tuna because of its high count with mercury. And he is now on a supplement for his joints. Very high-priced with poor results.

Last year notice dog was vomiting frothy bile occasionally, a 6 lb Maltese. He eats this along with boiled chicken and rice plus vegetable. Last year had a small lesion on stomach and went to vet for ointment and anti bacterial soap not knowing what caused it. Last few months tried to increased his kibble. Vomiting every am just about and now has a bad skin eruption on abs size of a half dollar. I would not suggest anybody use this food ever. I have finally figured out what has been making him so ill and it is this food. Why would a company put out food with the first ingredient is corn starch and then cellulose?

My dog was having allergy concerns indicated by his excessive licking of his paws. The vet suggested Hill's and we began with an 8 pound bag. Everything seemed to be fine and his paw licking stopped. His coat became very smooth and shiny. When I bought a 24 pound bag, his stools became loose and runny. After reading other individuals post, I felt as if I had to write this. My dog is my life and this makes me angry. Something has to have changed for my dog to have had this sudden reaction and nothing else has changed. There is not a manufacture date, but it says best before February 2019. The only other number I see is in MV84J208WV314.

We have a 12 yr old Wheaten Terrier who has been on Hills Prescription Diet (Z/D canned and dry) for many years. He did fine on it for years. In late June he began vomiting and having loose stools. This became an ongoing discussion with our vet. In the meantime the vomiting continued - sometimes it was noticeable food, other times just bile or frothy wetness. He's lost several pounds. Last month our vet did allergy testing and he came up as allergic to soy, fish and rice. One of the main ingredients in Z/D is soy. Our vet felt that it was not likely that the soy in the z/d was bothering our dog because the protein is broken down supposedly beyond the point of reactivity.

I called Hills up and during a long conversation they finally admitted that they had tweaked the formula - supposedly they did not change the ingredients but they increased the amount of protein. This change was made in May 2016. In June 2016 our dog started puking/diarrhea. Three days ago after another trip to the vet and a discussion about the food I decided that I was going to try making food for our dog instead of feeding him the z/d. I have been feeding him a mix of browned chopped meat (beef), diced potatoes, peas & carrots and olive oil. He has not puked or had diarrhea at all in the past 3 days!

He has gone from puking literally 15 times a day to not puking at all. I don't know what Hill's did to the z/d, or what kind of "protein" they're using but it certainly was having a nasty effect on my dog. During my call to Hill's I also asked them to source the ingredients in Z/D - there are two ingredients in it from China (sorry but I can't remember which ones). Anyway, I'll never give another spoonful of that food to my dog EVER! BTW, it's now costing me less than half of what we were spending on the z/d to feed him "real" food.

The store I bought food from spoken to Hills Prescription on my behalf to ask if ingredients have been changed. They advised the supplier ingredients not been changed. I do not believe this whatsoever! Since my dog has been taking new food she has been ill and been collapsing. She's 14 and has many illnesses, to include bad heart. When her gastric system is interfered with, she has collapses and her heart stops. She's only going out to the garden at the moment and this is causing the collapses. We are furious!!! If we had known, we could have slowly introduced her to the new food. Angry, angry.

I'm writing this review to inform other pet owners to carefully look at the ingredients and reviews before buying a prescription dog food. My 6 year old Beagle/Chihuahua mix had struvite bladder stones which required surgery a year ago. She was on Blue Buffalo before that, with no stool problems nor change of behavior until she had the bladder stone problem.

After surgery, the vet recommended putting her on Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Canine Urinary Care Dry Food so silly me, thinking the vet recommended it, I did not bother on reading up on its ingredients! (My fault for not researching, I know.) She was hesitant on eating it at first but eventually gobbled it up like she did with the previous brand. In the couple months after surgery and being on Hill's, she has vomited bile, acted somewhat lethargic, and had loose, bright yellow stools. I associated the change in maybe her just having an upset stomach and not feeling well for the day but it wasn't going away, and I became shocked at how much it was slowly making my dog exhausted, and how yellow/pale her stools were coming out.

Vet visits came out nothing that could contribute to the problem. Upon research I decided to switch her food out. She's now on Canidae Grain-Free kibble and her stool has been coming out a healthy brown color, no puking yellow bile, and she seems to be her happy, active self so far. I decided to let her try the Hill's one morning just one time to really test if that was the source of her problems and lo and behold, she ended up with bright yellow stool once again that same afternoon!

I've read other reviews that people have had positive results with their pets on the Hill's Diet, but I can't say that my fur baby had the same. If you read the ingredients on the Hill's Diet, the first 5 ingredients are ground whole grain corn, pork fat, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, & corn gluten meal. Corn is difficult on a dog's digestive system and chicken by-products offer zero nutrients... I felt like I've been hurting my dog the entire time she was on this.

My 6 year old Miniature Pincher was put on Metabolic by the vet. It immediately started looking like he was losing weight. After a week, however he started vomiting bile and had diarrhea. After reading some reviews online I decided to stop feeding him this food. He is already looking much better. This food is so expensive. What a waste! On a side note: Hills can be so relieved. I found this out in time, because if my dog died or got liver disease from their food there would be nowhere they could hide.

I have an 17 year old cat that has been on Hills Science Diet k/d diet for about a year and a half. For several months she had been urinating all over the house, had problems defecating, severe gas, and just overall stressed. I took her to the vet repeatedly, but they said nothing was wrong. Clearly something was wrong. I thought perhaps this was her time and her body was shutting down or something. So, figuring she probably wasn't going to live long anyway, I took her off the k/d diet and started feeding her Wellness pouches, choosing those with lower protein content. After all, quality of life means something, right?

That was probably 6 months ago. She stopped urinating all over the house right away. Her gas problems gradually got better. Now she is doing better defecating. She seems so much happier. Don't know that I did the right thing, but I do feel it was right for her. She now enjoys foods other than the pouches, but I try to give her quality low protein. She still has a bowl of k/d hard food available if she chooses, but no more k/d wet food. And frankly, cats with kidney disease probably shouldn't eat dry food but I didn't want to switch her food completely. She gets wet food (quality commercial low protein... not Hills) whenever she asks for it these days.

In August, we suddenly received a "new formula" of ZD cat food (auto delivered) with no notice of the change. It's runny, a different color, different ingredients and different food. The cat refused to eat it and we were told to introduce it slowly. This did not work. Now we are trying DD. My cat will not eat any other food than the old ZD. He has lost weight and I have now spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out what to do. He's lost muscle mass, etc. This is an absolutely terrible product and it's urgent that we find an alternative as he will eat nothing else. HILLS, THIS IS AN URGENT SITUATION AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR CONSUMERS!!!

My dog (senior, rescued, Dachshund mix) ate Hills Mobility food for over a year (since I got him). He has arthritis. Since he gained a lot of weight (when I got him he was underweight and after a year he was overweight) on the Mobility food the local vet's weight loss clinic suggested moving him on to the Metabolic food. His arthritis became so bad that he could barely walk. They then suggested switching his food to the Metabolic & Mobility mix. He ate this food for over 6 months.

During this time he didn't lose any weight. This is the only food he was given and we even reduced the quantity, without any change. I couldn't take him for walks as he'd be in too much pain after barely walking 100 meters. I was worried he had to be put down since he was very lethargic, overweight, and seemed to be in pain. He got to a point where he didn't want to go for walks and wasn't playful. I had him examined by a vet who test his blood. All his levels were low (especially his red blood cells). They also did a sonar of his stomach and X-rays. They couldn't determine any illness.

So I decided to change the only variable left - his food. I started giving him home cooked rice and chicken fillets for a week. I was stunned at how he had changed during that week. He was happier than he's ever been. I then moved him over to a different food brand (non-Hills). From the first week I noticed an immense change. He started losing weight within the very first week. It's been 4 weeks and he is now sustaining a healthy weight. More importantly his energy levels have skyrocketed. He is happier than he's ever been and even begs to go for walks! He is a brand new dog and the only thing that has changed was his food.

I won't be buying Hills food any longer as it clearly had a negative impact on my dog's overall health. I am posting this to dog owners that are frustrated about their dog not losing weight on the Hills supposed wonder weight loss solution. I am sure certain dogs are doing very well on the Metabolic/Mobility food, but your dog might not be one of them. Mine sure wasn't.

Hill's Science Diet Feline ZD. Hill's Science diet offers a very EXPENSIVE Prescription cat food for cats with food allergies or IBD. It is the only food on the market (a monopoly), is $68 a case and has recently changed its "formula" causing illnesses in felines who have no other alternative for food. The quality issues are very obvious. You can almost pour the food out of the can. The animals become very ill. Pancreatitis, diarrhea, the clearly suffer.

Hill's starts out in denial. Then they tell you it's safe. Then they tell you they will give you a $5 coupon. The finally called me and admitted there was an issue and to throw away the case. What they won't tell me is when the food will be fixed. It's the worst quality product and company in the US. And this is $68 a case. How can it be that no other company in the industry has a comparable product and how can it be that they do not have ANY SEMBLANCE of quality control or concern for the pets and their owners? It's a criminal enterprise.

My dog with inflammatory bowel disease did fine & loved the formula until it was"new & improved." She won't eat. Wasted $44 on a case of the low quality product. I thought she was ill again. Luckily took z/d can to vet & tried to find another lot thinking this was the problem. Found that formula changed. Horrible junk!!!

My cat vomited and I found about an inch piece of a rubber-like substance when cleaning it up. I found smaller pieces of rubber substance in the leftover can of M/D formula. I opened a new can and found small pieces of the same. I don't know what it is and this is really scary. Will contact Hills and return the case of the food to the vet.

My vet put my cat on Hills Prescription Diet K/D cat food for kidney disease. I didn't want her to eat this food because I did not feel comfortable with the quality of the ingredients. I agreed because my vet said it would help her. I was feeding her the dry K/D because she didn't care for the canned and didn't eat enough. The only canned K/D she would tolerate is the Ocean Fish. I fed her a new can and after she ate I picked it up and noticed a piece of rubber in the food. It was approx. 1/2" x 1/4". I worried that she might have eaten smaller pieces. I took the can with the rubber piece back to my vet's office, where I purchased it and they will get with their rep. regarding this.

I sent a email to the company but since it was a Saturday and they were closed, I will call on Monday. I worry other kitties on this food might be injured by eating this food. It is the Ocean Fish K/D with a best before date of 06/2018. The codes on the bottom of the can are T2330659A 2698. If you have this food please check it before feeding to your kitty or just refrain from feeding this one.

I have a six year old French bulldog with Patellar Luxation, a knee disorder that can cause the knee cap to float and pop out of the groove. Since we got him we knew that he had knee problems as he would sometimes tuck up his back leg and only walk on three, but it was rare and it didn't seem to bother him that much. One day that all changed because he hopped off a chair and from that moment on he refused to put weight on that leg. After visiting with the vet and through their recommendation we began feeding our dog prescription diet J/D dog food and it changed his life. He no longer limps and because it is very high in fish oil he loves the taste. The only downfall of this food is that they do not have a grain free version because my dog is allergic to grain and I have to mix it with a Grain free food so he doesn't get really bad gas.

Just a post to say that my bulldog ate Hills Z/D ultra food for 1 1/2 years due to allergies and did wonderfully. The last trip to vet we noticed that bag stated new and improved and was told it was just a change in size and packaging. Little did we know this was so far from truth. It is terrible. He started vomiting on his second day on new food but of course we thought he was sick. Spent next 4 days taking him for blood work, fecal tests, ultrasound and abdominal xrays with nothing found but continued to be so sick a few hours after meal. It was awful, with personality starting to fade away.

I decided on day 6 to call Hills and they very specifically stated that the whole formula was changed, one of the main changes was addition of larger amounts of cellulose fillers and that it was now being added in powdered form for smaller size. They also mentioned a number of other additives as well as things that were removed. She also said by the way the Canned Z/D also has a brand new formula. They took a long report on what happened to my dog.

I spoke to the vet as well. The Hill's staff told me we should have been instructed to treat the new Z/D just like a new food and introduce it slowly like any new diet change but oh well. Too late to do that. So nearly $1000.00 and nothing wrong but food I originally questioned and the poor dog is yet to get back on any regular foods as he goes from diarrhea to worst smelling poop ever. Feel like neither the vets or the pet food industry are in sync and our animals are paying the price as well as the owners for avoidable diet issues. Thanks.

Our dog was overweight but very active and happy. We had never had issues with his energy levels, eating, allergies or playing with the kids. We took him to the vet because he had an obstructed anal gland. The vet told us he was overweight and needed to put him on Hills metabolic diet immediately. So we did. He ate the food the first week, then he stopped eating. He lost about 10 lbs in a week. Vet suggested we mix the dry and wet food. He ate that for another week and then stopped eating altogether. However we insisted on feeding him the Hills with home-made food. He would pick out the Hills pellets and eat the rest. However, within a few weeks, he was lethargic, had developed allergies and his eyes were constantly red and gooey.

After extreme weight loss we took him back to the vet and did blood work. He had developed pancreatitis and diabetes and within 2 weeks went completely blind. He also developed a lump in his neck. He was 34 lbs when we started and in 4 moths dropped to 12 lbs. I wish I had time to relay the entire story, and what our family went through. I had a feeling it was the food but never researched it. We ended up putting him down but it was the most difficult decision. Now our other dog who also ate the Hills has developed the lump and his eyes are foggy. He is also not the same dog.

I just want to share in brief same story as many of you. I have 2 dogs... apparently both of them started with some problems when I started giving Hills Oral Health +2 years ago... The shih tzu had some allergies so she had to take meds on the past 2 summers. She never was allergic before, anyways as well she started to pee blood on Nov 2015. She had a huge stone in the bladder. Vet had to remove it immediately and prescribed Hills Urinary Care CD after the surgery but in the 2 following months I didn't notice any improvement. She was doing same as before such as doing pee anywhere at home and had a lot of problems to pee when she was outside, plus she looked sad, she made pee very little, and so on.

We had to be brave and decided to change that nasty food for a natural one following some nutritional books and PH reading. It has been almost 5 months that they switch to a made home food, complemented with holistic food and citrate of potassium every 3 days and she is clean after all those months (xray follow up)..

Of course the Vet almost killed me when I told him I changed the diet for a natural one. Dunno what is the deal with these companies and the vets, the important part is that she started to be her again: happy, active and the allergies stopped too this summer with the food's change. Everybody has to know that allergies meds are super bad for dogs that suffer stones too. In addition we give NO more red meat or fish and no cranberries cause those make the pee too acidic and that is when struvite or calcium stones can happen... and very important A LOT OF WATER in her food. We have to give almost all her food with chicken boil.

My other dog, a springer spaniel, developed other issues when taking Hills Oral Care and his health has improved by far :) with the last change to natural food. By the time with Hills he started developing many warts and limps those last years. Vet told us was because of his age, we had to operate to remove some in January 2016.

He had one in the eye and in some other places that he can hurt himself if not removed. Vet operated like 8 warts and 1 big limp... He had others but we didn't want to remove all, he looked already like a Frankenstein dog. Anyways the ones left are disappearing with the food change, so I really believe was this nasty Hills food the biggest issue, as well I could notice that their mood changed for a better one. I am happy with the decision. I am sad as well to realize that VETs want to support those big brands even when they know that food is harmful, and worst, why they are still in the market? Good that we have these sites to share our experiences... ohh I forgot I said I will be brief.

Hills Pet Foods Company Profile