1.50/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Hills Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

This brand comes in cat and dog formulas. I feed it to my dog and cats. I like that they offer a variety of life stages. Due to the high quality of the ingredients, I see less "waste" from my animals.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I want a food that has been tested by feeding trials in dogs. Hills is a reputable company whose products are backed by science. They use Quality ingredients and have their own labs and test facilities. The food is tasty, well tolerated, keeps skin and coat healthy, and produces firm stool with no smelly intestinal gas.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It is highly rated. My dog likes it and she is very healthy. The dog food doesn't have fillers and keeps her fit as she is very active. Never have any complaints from the vet and my dog never looks lethargic.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Over the years I've researched quite a few pet food makers. I look for nutritional value and if my pets like the taste. Hills is sold at our veterinarian office, so of course I started with them. It was great, but with all these new companies coming out, I've tried a few. I should have left well enough alone. My little ones are back on Hills Science Diet and I should have never fell for other companies false claims. In my opinion, Hills Science Diet is the best!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My dog was very sick with all sort of allergies. We did tests and it showed that she is allergic to everything apart from food which was not true. She was allergic to grass!! She also was allergic to food. We tried a lot of different diets before Z/D food and it was such a relief when ZD worked. It was a lifesaver for all of us. There was no diarrhea, no vomiting anymore. She was on ZD for 4 years. My dog loved both varieties wet food and granules. She died yesterday and I am angry on the whole world but it was cancer which killed her. She was 12.

But if it wasn't for ZD we probably would have lost her much earlier as everything she eat was causing diarrhea or vomiting even Hills I/D food, but ZD was like a miracle. Read Kim's from Sacramento review it is very helpful. I am sure the foods that Hills or any other company make are not 100% perfect but nothing in this world is unfortunately. Take care of your pets and thank you to Hills ZD from my family. I am not going to benefit in any way from writing this review. I only want to share my experience. I found these reviews when I was looking if a healthy dog without allergies can eat ZD food as it is prescription food. I have a big bag of ZD granules and 4 packs of ZD cans left.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My Shih Tzu has been eating Hills Science (small toy breed kind) and has never had any issues. This was the only dry food I could get her to eat without adding anything to it like meat or shredded cheese and her skin and fur was beautiful. But when the bag changed to a new look a couple months ago, the kibble also changed. My 3 yr old Shih Tzu still ate it but I noticed after a few weeks that she was scratching a lot more than usual.

I continued to buy for 5 more months thinking it was just seasonal allergies. But over time she kept getting worse and worse. Everyday I see matted hair on the ground (which I never saw before) and now she has had 3 hot spots on her sides and bottom. Vet says she has a food allergy, and it must be from the change in dry food ingredients. Nothing about her diet on my behalf has changed of what I give her. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Good bye Hills Science Diet. I will now switch back to Royal Canin. Not worth the vet bills for treatment and her being in agony.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I went to the vet because my cat had been throwing up almost daily for a couple weeks. The vet ran blood tests and found nothing. She suggested to try Hill's I/d because it was "easily digestible". I wish I had read the other reviews of this food first. She ate the food fine for the first couple days. Then, everything related to my cat's digestion got worse. She started throwing up constantly, didn't want to eat, and started having diarrhea. At first I thought it was the progression of whatever illness she had, and I even went so far as to look into at-home euthanasia. Then I thought to myself, why feed her this stupid food that she doesn't like if she's going to die? So I went and read reviews of this just to help me make an informed decision related to taking her off of it, only to find LOTS of other people that have had this food make their pets worse.

One of the other reviewers asked why this requires a prescription, since there's no medicine or regulated substance of any kind. My only guess is that the company uses the prescriptions to track which vets are giving them business. My sister-in-law told me that one vet she went to recommended the same brand, but she read reviews before purchasing and was horrified to see all the negative reviews. She never went back to that vet, and I will never be going back to the one who recommended this food to me.

I ASSUME that vets recommending this food is not a coincidence. The brand must have some sort of monetary relationship with vets, paying them money to get people to buy their awful food. This food is probably made of the lowest possible quality ingredients, ensuring Hill's maximizes their profits off of their over-priced **. My cat is back on her old food, eating it, and doing much better. Her diarrhea is gone. She is still vomiting some, but not as regularly, and she is behaving as if she feels much better.

I ALMOST KILLED MY CAT because of this food! I can't even believe I fell for this awful trick. I bet tons of people spend so much money trying to "treat" their "sick" animal while feeding them this food. It is a win-win for vets & Hill's - Hill's makes money from the food, the vets make money treating all the problems the food creates. I would STRONGLY advise against feeding this to your pet, and would also advise to stop going to any vet that recommends it. Learn from my mistake - find a new vet and a different food.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Vet prescribed y/d for my cat with hyperthyroidism when the usual medications didn't work for him. I tried the wet food and the dry food. He wouldn't eat it. His appetite is fine, he just knew better. Had to resort to every trick I could find to get him to eat. And his weight dropped and his health worsened. There is nothing in it that warrants a prescription. It contains ingredients that are commonly found in the lowest quality foods, at more than double the price of higher quality brands. After a year of struggling to get him to eat it, I gave up and began cooking a low-iodine diet for him at home. He has regained weight and his thyroid levels are testing better. It's quite easy and inexpensive Shame on the vets who push this food. Whatever incentives your clinics get from Hills are at the expense of the pets who get stuck choking this stuff down.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My diabetic Yorkie ate this for 5 YEARS with no issues. They recently changed it -- he snubbed his nose at it, but had to eat it because of the diabetes. Had a SEIZURE this morning. Took him to vet. Brought him home. Fed him dinner. SEIZURE before he was finished eating it. Continued to seize, back to vet where he was screaming so bad from the seizures. They had to give him anesthesia. Said he probably would continue this if he took off the anesthesia. Had to put him down. The ONLY thing different was this food. Had his diabetes controlled for 5 years!!!! DO NOT RISK THIS FOOD.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Our dog Dexter has been diabetic for 3 years and has been on the Hills Prescription Diet W/D for that entire time. He did well with it and his diabetes was managed. Last month I bought a new bag of this food from my vet and noticed that the packaging and the shape/size of the food had changed. Unfortunately the ingredients also changed and it has caused many issues with our dog. His glucose levels are not as predictable, he suffers from upset stomach, soft stools and tremendous gas. I will no longer buy anything from Hills. The changes to this food were not explained by Hills or advertised and I suspect the quality of the ingredients has gone down. Their food now makes my pet sick.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information