1.97/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

212 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got my Saint Shepherd puppy about 3 weeks ago. She was 14 weeks old when I received her. She came from a nasty backyard breeder who was essentially starving the mom and puppies, keeping them in dirty conditions (the kibble they ate was thrown on top their waste and they were hardly given fresh water), they had lived purely outside since they were 3 weeks of age in the middle of the VA Beach summer where humidity is at 100% and temperatures reach up to 105 degrees.

When I picked my puppy up she was severely underweight, had horrible diarrhea and vomiting constantly. At first I thought it was because she was on a diet that consisted of adult kibble until I saw blood in her waste. I rushed her to emergency vet where it was found she had a bad case of hookworms. And if she hadn't been taken in by me then she would have been dead by that next week.

When I was able to take her home I was given cans of GI Hills dog food. She started gaining her weight back and the vomit and diarrhea stopped. After she was through with the cans I gave her Pedigree Puppy Chow. She did fine with it but her waste was constantly too soft. I did some research and knew I should get her a large breed puppy food and found that Hills sells one. I bought the Hills Large Breed Puppy Food Lamb and Rice and so far she is loving it. Her waste is solid and she's gaining weight and size at a steady rate.

I've read the reviews here and I do not think most the reviews do this brand justice. I do not know the circumstances of the other reviewers' animals so I can't say anything. But my experience with it so far is positive. My girl is healthy and is on the course to becoming a great dog, I plan on keeping her on the Hills Science Diet for a long time.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I have been making my cat's food for five years. They have always eaten "better" food but five years ago I switched them to raw food that I buy at the grocery store and bring home and grind and prepare myself. Our nearly 19 year old Tortie had been doing extremely well but after a severe ear infection and a round of antibiotics, she developed chronic diarrhea. We tried probiotics to stop it but it just wasn't stopping so naturally we took her to the vet. The vet suggested his probiotics and switching to Hill's i/d food. We agreed simply because she was suffering with diarrhea and we knew it needed to stop. Even with severe diarrhea she had gained 2 oz on the raw food since recovering from the ear infection.

At first, she gobbled the food down, couldn't get enough it, then all of the sudden she didn't want it. Not only did she not want that food anymore, she didn't want any food anymore. We tried switching her back to the raw and she just wasn't very interested in food anymore. This was a cat that constantly wanted to eat. The cats eat 3 times a day but she would always beg for food in between meals. One month after being on the i/d we took her back to the vet and she had lost 2 lbs and was down to just over 6 pounds.

Blood work was done 6 months prior and all of her numbers were stellar including the kidneys but the vet broke the news to us that she had kidney failure. She died at home 6 days later and all I can do is sit here and ask myself why the hell I trusted that food. Yeah, it stopped her diarrhea but she's dead and I don't think that's a fair trade at all. I will never feed my animals anything but my food again. P.S. For the first time I read the ingredients on the can... I can't believe we fed her that garbage.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was so alarmed & frustrated by the 1 star reviews here, I decided it was time for someone to share a little common sense. I have used 3 prescription diets from Hill's - on 3 different dogs - with successful outcomes for all of them. *1st & most importantly: Our dogs are not immortal (sadly). They do NOT live long lives (to our heartbreak). When we have companies, like Hill's, spending millions of dollars on research to attempt to provide products that help heal, maintain health, or extend the life of our pets by some standard of measure - we should be grateful. It wasn't too terribly long ago we had NOTHING. *2nd: Does anyone REALLY believe that Hill's goes through the trouble of extensive research & development to create products that injure or even kill our pets? Wouldn't that put them OUT of business? Do you REALLY believe that's their goal?

*3rd: Is it at ALL possible the pets in the reviews here were very very ill - and succumbed to their disease, and were going to die regardless if they used Hill's or nothing at all? The schnauzer with the 8 cm liver mass: That's deadly/terminal. By the time your dog was symptomatic, the disease was already well progressed. That's the unfortunate part about dogs - is they can't tell us they're not well until they're REALLY really sick. Your dog very likely had cancer that had already SPREAD and was in places that you had not biopsied (brain, spleen, lungs, stomach, kidneys, etc) nor could see or touch.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog, mine died of a blood cancer that had spread to the liver - age 11. Tried surgery, diets, everything - but all we could do at the end (2 mo after diagnosis) was make her comfortable as she slipped away. Dog food did NOT kill your dog, cancer did. :( And I feel your pain, I do. Dog food did NOT cause the cancer, either - and this is important... Dogs are exposed to the same elements we are - and just like us, we just do not know what causes cancer in our pets. Animals in the wild also get cancer.

Moving on - The dog who lost weight due to renal disease - Renal disease DOES cause weight loss - that's a MAJOR symptom of renal disease in pets (and even humans)! No matter what that person fed their dog, the dog was going to lose weight, and likely - ultimately -pass away from the kidney disease, or related failures. People die of kidney disease, too, even with transplants, diet changes, and dialysis - sometimes it's just not enough. Dogs are no exception.

I could go on and add my 2 cents on the other reviews - but I think my point is clear: When our dogs are showing serious symptoms of disease - they are already well into the disease (it has progressed), and all you can do is hope and pray their disease can be slowed or cured. If your dog has cancer - I'm sad to say - it's going to pass away from cancer. Blaming a dog food company who is financially invested in providing products that HEAL or HELP our pets is irresponsible. Unless you can directly correlate the consumption of their product to your dog's death or illness, it's defamation.

I have used Hill's prescription diets because our vet uses it on her OWN dogs! My dog with thyroid disease (among other things) was on R/D to get his weight down. It saved his life, as far as I'm concerned. Lost 12 lbs safely, with complete blood panels done throughout showing healthy organ function. Because of R/D his life was extended & it helped us manage his medical conditions. He died of prostate cancer at age 11. Our cat was on C/D Feline for years - and she lived an incredibly long life (16 yrs). Our present dog is on S/D in an attempt to dissolve bladder stones - we are crossing our fingers.

One last comment about bladder stones (w/regard to the complaint here that a dog developed stones because of c/d - which is an impossibility): No one knows why some dogs get bladder stones and some don't. But one thing we DO know 100%: Dogs will have bladder stones ALONG with an infection. So how did your dog get that infection? Who knows - but if you can eliminate the source of the infection, you can stop the development of struvite stones. There are other stones your dog can get that cannot be dissolved by a change in diet - they must be surgically removed, as they will NOT dissolve on their own... and they are deadly.

The idea situation is that you can catch a stone or retrieve one to analyze to determine what kind of stone it is. If you can do that - then your vet will know exactly how to treat it. As well - your dog will produce stones if their pH LEVEL in their urine is HIGH (above 6)! My dog has always eaten Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dry & canned foods... we have always kept his weight in check, and exercise him daily. But he got stones - and we blame NO ONE. It is what it is.

Losing a pet is pretty awful - that we can all agree on. We hate to see them suffer, and in our attempt to avoid the inevitable (that they just do not live long enough) - we invest in treatments that may or may not work. Here we have a company that develops food to try to save our pets is blamed for their deaths after being diagnosed with terminal illnesses... there is no logic in that. Science Diet has worked for us, we've had NO side effects or negative experiences over a span of 15 years of using their products, and we've been very satisfied with the results.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My 4 year old miniature Schnauzer had a few UTIs when she was 2 which was cultured finally and treated appropriately. At the time she also had an X-ray to rule out stones-and she had none. The vet thought it would be prudent to put her on Hills C/D diet to be safe. 2 years later she has 25 stones in her bladder. Emergency surgery to the tune of 2K and he still wants me to keep her on the food until she recovers and we know what kind of stones. I think not. I’m 100% confident this food caused her stones. I’ve never had any previous dogs on RX food and NEVER had this happen to any of them - BIG RED FLAG and she’s not going to continue on it. Shameful and I feel I’ve been mislead. We try to do the absolute best for our babies and then to have this happen. It’s just wrong. Terrible product in my opinion.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Our Jack Russell has been on this food for approximately three years. She has done very well on it until around the first of July when I opened a new bag. Each day, she has acted more strangely than the previous day, lethargic, depressed, and not begging for food, until several days ago she just wouldn’t eat and was throwing up foam-like vomit. I bought her a different brand of food. She still wouldn’t eat normally. She was very wary of eating anything, even treats, for a couple of days, but today she started eating and drinking. I’m not going to give her anymore of Hills (WD Dog Food). My gut tells me something is very wrong with this new bag of food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: July 13, 2018

My beloved Black Lab, Kati, lost her battle 3 days ago. Back in April 2018 a 8cm mass was found on her liver. Due to her age, 11, it was recommended that we just try to manage it. She was doing wonderful! You would never know she was sick. I put her on a homemade diet as dog food was the only thing that bothered her, would go right through her basically. I did my research on liver supporting foods. Her diet consisted of chicken, rice, cottage cheese, beef a couple of times a week, pure pumpkin, broccoli, carrots, hard boiled eggs and oatmeal all non seasoned of course.

Her follow up appt the beginning of June showed her liver enzymes were a tad bit higher than the month before but not significant enough to be of concern. I was told although the diet I was feeding her was good she is not getting certain things she needs and put her on Hills L/D dry food. With only 2 weeks being on the food she went downhill all of a sudden stopped eating, the week before her passing I was feeding her with a syringe just to get food into her. I believe this food made her worse/killed her! As all of a sudden her liver was so large it was pushing her stomach up. I am sick over this. I wish we didn’t trust our vets as much as we do, I’ll have no idea now if she would still be her alive and running if I had just kept doing what was working! R.I.P. Kati 7/10/18 <3.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After reading 6 - 1 star ratings on this product I quit looking. Most of them mirrored the trouble I was having after my dog ate this food: Shivers all over, immediate and extreme weight loss, and stopped eating completely. I bought this food from my vet for my dog with Kidney problems. Dog lost weight. - 5 lbs in 3 days while transitioning from her old food. She started having shivers all over. Nothing like that was happening before eating this food. I had to take my dog off of this stuff before it killed her. The bag I got smelled horribly RANCID. I should have trusted my senses and my dog and not used because of the smell from the start.

My dog was a food motivated cross-breed that loved and wolfed her food. 5 days of mixing with her old food -- after eating this stuff she was shaking, had lost 5 lbs (used to weigh 45 lbs) and has become a poor saggy, bony, thing and then she refused all food. If your dog says it is BAD... believe it. I am taking back to my vet. Also notice that this company is not enrolled in this system... I have to wonder if they even know, or care that this food may be BAD. Keep your dog healthy and take this food back if your dog won't eat it. There are plenty of recipes for HomeMade dog food.

Keep your dog healthy and take this food back if your dog won't eat it. There are plenty of recipes for HomeMade dog food for dogs with Kidney problems. Is it better to take a chance and do this ourselves, or watch them lose weight and shiver to death? I have had luck using real meat and rice to bring her appetite and her livelihood back. She has started gaining some weight and is back to her old self. It may be hard to get her back on dog food again. Bless our dogs and keep them safe and healthy. Thanks for reading.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Do not feed your pets this food. After I lost my job, no one would help us. Finally last night the Humane Society agreed to give us some food. Hill's Science Diet. I have watched in horror all night and day, the 8 week old kittens who I had taken in and cared for 2 months, lay and scream and suffer to death. The Humane Society would do nothing to help them. The forgotten felines who were supposed to be helping us with this feral cat explosion would not help at all. The emergency veterinarians refused to even euthanize the kittens for free and stop their pain and suffering. I guess the Humane Society who has now joined with animal control has found a faster and cheaper way to deal with the population.

I am so outraged over these fake foundations taking in millions who would not even give us a bag of food. They have yet to do one thing about all the feral cats and constant litters. I had taken these ones in, initially so that they would hopefully at least try and help me find them homes and get them fixed. They did nothing. None of these people give a ** about animals. They are using these foundations as a front for their nice paychecks, homes, and new cars.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My vet recommended putting my greyhound on Hill’s prescription food for kidneys since her numbers were slightly elevated. She ate it well for the first week but then ate less and less and now she won’t eat at all, even her old food or canned food. She has been acting very skittish and restless. I’m not sure what this food did to her, but she was always the first one to her bowl, and the first to finish, and now she won’t even go near her food bowl.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My cavalier was put on this food to rule out food related seizures. She had had prior to this food change a brain scan which was clear followed by a spinal tap which was also clear, total blood's again clear. (One blood was slightly elevated but that had been a constant for yrs.) The vet suggested a six week diet of Hills Z/D, the result of this food change has been daily diarrhea, excessive thirst and constant food begging.

Her coat has begun to lose colour along coat thinning. Intuitively I knew this food was not good for her but continued so as to negate food as a trigger for her seizures. (These are very small and don't bother her overly other than being occasionally tired.) Today I had her teeth cleaned along with an extraction so as to rule out any infection in her gums that could possibly be seizure related. I don't know that I would recommend this food as it's a personal choice but I won't use it ever again, I'm going to use Lily's Kitchen and hope her coat returns and her stomach settles.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My story is very similar to Bonnie's in OH. I have a 12 yo JR/Doxy mix, he was diagnosed with high kidney levels so the vet recommended Hill's Science Diet KD. We also tried a sample bag which my little guy loved. So we bought a larger bag, very expensive, I might add. He's been on it since 5/1/18. I noticed 3 days ago he was also shivering, it has been a bit chilly here. But, today it is 70 degrees and he is shivering. He has also been grinding his teeth, not a lot but enough to notice. I decided to read up on some of these reviews and found Bonnie's. I feel bad for feeding this food to Chippy but very happy I saw Bonnie's review. Chippy will no longer be eating this horrible food. I also read the ingredients, it's full of a lot of thing you can't even pronounce. This 3/4 full, very expensive dog food is going right in the trash. What an EYE OPENER. Thank You Bonnie.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have fed my last three dogs Hill's prescription Diet t/d dental care, and none have ever needed a surgical dental procedure, including cleaning. They have maintained healthy digestion and nutrition. The food is expensive, but worth it.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Hill's prescription W/D, I/D, and the others that we have tried are good for our Labrador (sensitive stomach), but very high in cost. We have not found a better food for less money. We used to buy Blue Buffalo and found that it was too rich.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Several years ago we had a dog who developed kidney disease. She was put on Hills Renal food, next dog had an allergy to meat (yup, a dog) so he was put on a no meat food, (the venison didn't even work). He was balding, (who knew). His hair grew back in. Now with current dog he's over 8 so now he's on the older large dog food. I called Hills to ask the difference and was told that there is more glucosamine and other vitamins and minerals that older dogs need.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The company took their standard 16 ounce packaging and reduced their size down to 11 ounces and kept their same price... perhaps they are striving to eliminate this specific product and this is their way of discouraging their consumer.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Hills Science Diet: Metabolic - Twice now my vet has prescribed this food for my overweight puggle to curb her weight gain. She said it would help her feel full after eating. Yeah. That's about as effective as lembas bread on a Hobbit. She'll eat her serving, sniff around for more, lick the bowl several times, walk around looking for any stray crumbs under the table, try to access the kitty litter box for any fecal matter, try to sneak into the pasture for cow pies... I'd say it's VASTLY ineffective, particularly for the insane PRICETAG.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We have always chosen the best dog food for both of our labs. The older one is on Hills Prescription Diet Metabolic + Mobility (weight + joint care) which we purchase at the vets and the younger one is on Adult Dog Weight Management which we purchase at the Animal Health Center, both in Marshall, MN. Both of these dog foods were recommended by our vet and we are very pleased with how our dogs have thrived over the years we've been using them. I would recommend Hills Dog Food of any variety for all dogs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I am sick and tired of how vets shove this junk Hills food at us pet parents!! Enough is enough! It is obvious they have zero actual education on pet nutrition other than what they are taught. Most of the education they get is biased and based on research by companies like Hills! What about the kickbacks and bonuses they get from pushing this junk on us! All one has to do is look at the CHEAP fillers and questionable ingredients to see how bad this food is! I am even more disgusted that their greed is so massive they would charge what they charge for this cheap and poor quality food!

My dog is a diabetic and my vet pushed Hills WD on me and would not give me any other options! There are plenty of food on the market better for dogs like mine. Hills WD is full of cheap corn, corn and more corn, wheat corn gluten, powdered cellulose as the 3rd ingredient (AKA sawdust) and even caramel color (made from sugars)! Is this a food for diabetic dogs??? I am getting my dog off of this junk asap and don't care what my vet says! A dog would have to take a lot of insulin to cope with this horrible food (if you can call it food)! I would like to see this company go bankrupt.. they deserve it!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Ok, so my dog is 7 years old. Doberman. Super super healthy dog, never been sick. Took him to Vet. Vet said he is 20 lbs obese and I need to put him on Hill's metabolic food. My dog is 7 years on best quality organic food only and putting him on something that is full of ingredients that I couldn't even pronounce and read made me not comfortable, but he said otherwise he will not lose weight and his bones and joints will only suffer if he doesn't lose. So I did it. 3 weeks later feeding dog only metabolic, he probably looks like he lost some few lbs, my poor doggie is starving and he got even sick. He is not himself! I have never see him like still. He seems like he is sick, he is acting sick like I never saw him like this before. Then I went to vet and read all these reviews here. I am stopping this food right now!!! People read ingredients list! There is no real food in this kibble.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Had a 13.5 year old very healthy and active dog who had a mild elevation of protein levels. Vet said to put him on K/D diet for dogs as a precautionary measure. All other foods were 100% eliminated, I,e., no human foods, egg, milk with water, chopped meat. No other dog foods. Did have arthritis. Had been on J/D for several years along with 2-3xweek 50mg Tab of Rimadyl, one Dasuquin tab and one VetriScience Lab Pro Line Derma 3.6.9 Pro chew daily for the arthritis. Every blood work had been normal until the last.

Took him off the J/D and switched to K/D dry approx 11/03/17. His CR was mildly elevated 1.8 (0.3-1.4 mg/dL). The bag brags about special taste enhancers that dog will love and he did, ate it like it was an addictive drug. He was 57 lb, and was restricted to 3 cups. On 02/01/18 after having been eating this exclusively he seemed to be wanting extra attention, something he always wanted. We and he went to sleep at 5:00 AM and by 8:15 AM he died. Found him laying on his side, dead. He had been hiking 5 days prior, nothing strenuous, walked twice around the dog park the afternoon before. Ate and drank well. He was active up until the day he died.

He never ate anything off the ground, highly suspicious of anything he hadn't tried before, picky, selective eater. Was not prone to eating dog feces, pills or food dropped onto the floor. Autopsy not done as vet said good chance it would not have revealed anything, speculating old age. He was Australian cattle dog. Food purchased through VetSource Home Delivery. Having read about past recalls of Hills Science Diets, I am reporting this as a possible cause of his sudden demise.

I would for the reasons stated above, not put my dog on this food. I can't prove a poisonous/harmful product, but that was the only thing different that there was in the last two plus months of his life. He had a 17lb bag from VetSource and a sample 4 day supply on 12/14/17 while Dublin Animal Hospital, Colorado Springs, CO ordered the larger 29 lb bag delivered on or about 12/18/17. He never got to finish the last bag.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I had been giving my dog this food for about a year, We have tried all different lines from the GI to the Zd. My 12 year old pup has always had stomach issues. After years of grain free foods I finally decided to switch him over to the Hills prescription like my vet suggested. The last year he had really gotten worse not better, He has lost 12 pounds and started drinking water obsessively! Every time we would go outside he was obsessed with eating snow instead of doing his business! Thousands of dollars later, Ultrasound blood work even checked for Cushing's, Everything came back normal other than he had an excessive amount of gas in his belly.

I finally had a friend suggest a nice home cooked meal, I gave it a try and boy oh boy! My pup has come back to life! The water obsession is gone and his stools have improved tremendously. I boil organic chicken, brown rice and carrots. I place in a food processor. He eats 3 times a day and loves it, He is slowly starting to fill in a bit too. After the first day I saw an improvement. Coincidental? I think not!! Please do your pet the favor and look into some other alternatives. This food is killing pets.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Unfortunately, I failed to read the reviews before I purchased the Hills brand to try for my dog. This dog food was #1 Vet Recommended in store and all I have to say is this brand should be taken OFF THE SHELF. Absolutely ridiculous the effect that this has on some animals. Is it really worth your pet getting sick and almost DYING for a bag of dog food? Vet recommended at that. I gave this to my dog who is almost 1 and within the first half of the day after he has itched a huge patch of hair off his back. He is now covered in open sores from itching and biting and I refuse to write it off as a coincidence that this all happened after switching food. You see these reviews about pets being put in the HOSPITAL with pancreatitis, kidney failure, etc. and I am kicking myself in the ass that I got this dog food and put my dog at risk. PLEASE do not buy this product. There are more horrific reactions than there are good.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

PET LOVERS BEWARE! YOU CAN NOT TRUST YOUR VET, OR YOUR PET FOOD COMPANY! I have a beloved three-legged cat named Mike D, and one of the standard model four-legged ones named MCA. A while back I brought Mike D in for a checkup, partially just to show off how beautiful and amazing he is, and partially to ask if there was anything I should be doing proactively to care for his joints as he gets older. The vet recommended prescription pet food that she sells out of the lobby of her office. I hesitated at first because the food was $45 a bag, but about seven months ago I decided to switch both of my cats over to the new food.

Fast forward seven months and MCA has developed a repeated issue with throwing up bile (clear foamy liquid that builds up in the intestines and stomach). He had stopped eating through most of the day, he had lost a lot of weight, and because his stomach was empty all day the bile was building up in his system, burning his poor little stomach, and making him throw up. I feel tremendously guilty that it took me so long to make the connection. I actually felt proud that I was buying the expensive vet brand food, I got busy with life, and I didn't even look at the ingredient list. When I finally did just a little research about prescription pet food and pet food in general, I was horrified by what I found, and heartbroken about how sick I had been making my cat for months and months.

I have been through so much with my cats over the last 13 years and they really are my best friends, almost nothing means more to me than they do and I am crushed to think of MCA being starving and sick right under my nose. I am someone who has spent about ten years of my life reading, researching, and watching documentaries about people food. I am endlessly frustrated by the control that big food lobbies and corporations have over the American diet and I am endlessly frustrated with doctors that don't have a clue how to make people healthy and who only know how to prescribe drugs. WELL, TODAY I LEARNED THAT THE CROOKED PET FOOD INDUSTRY AND MOST VETERINARIANS ARE NO DIFFERENT!

For seven months I have been feeding my animals vet prescribed food which consists mainly brewers rice, and corn gluten meal, along with chicken by-product, soybeans, and a whole slew of ** that I can't pronounce. And to make it even worse I learned that the big pet food companies are now buying out the veterinary chains so that they will have even more control over the vets! The American food/medical industry makes me mad, but this, THIS MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!

As people, we can choose to eat processed food or whole food. If we feel bad enough we can do the research and realize that we need to get the carbs, sugar and chemical garbage out of our diet, but animals! Animals have no choice and THESE COMPANIES ARE TRICKING PET LOVERS INTO POISONING THEIR BELOVED PETS! Please look at the ingredient list on your pets food. It should be a list of real foods that you understand, like meat and vegetables, but particularly for cats, it should be almost all meat.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My cat started off with a UTI back in August diagnosed with FLUDT. Veterinarian gave me CD prescription Hills diet. As the months went on my cat went downhill. Doctor insisted it wasn't the food. The more I gave her the worst she got. Long story short no diagnosis. X-rays, thousands of dollars later it was the food. Be aware. Lethargy, neurological problems, constipation. My cat was almost dead and I helped get her there. Shame on this company and shame on the vets for not doing their research after reading the reviews. People need to be aware this is making animals sick.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Hi, I'm from The Netherlands and was advised to buy the prescription diet for my cat (she has extremely high t4 levels and doesn't react well to **). I had her on herbals but the last blood tests did not show improvement. I felt the herbals did help her but they were nearly finished and she didn't have enough the last week. This might have caused high levels of t4... I started her on the prescription diet. The first day she ate the kibble and a bit of the wet food although she clearly hated it. I tried to make it a bit thinner by adding a little warm water since it was so thick... At first I thought I saw an improvement.

Ever since the vet visit she had been laying in a corner. She can't take sedation well and I thought that was it. The second night on the prescription diet she even went outside for a bit so I was optimistic. Although I had added fresh chicken and mixed with a tiny bit of normal food as they suggest the first week. It couldn't have helped so quickly with urination. Hyperthyroid cats urinate way too much... suddenly there was nothing at all?

End of the day I checked again and she was not urinating at all and constipated. Hardly anything in the litterbox??? The next day she started howling and was clearly in pain. Even though you couldn't see her looking very bad she was clearly feeling awful. Didn't even want to come sit with me at all. I took out the horrible prescription diet and cooked for her myself... some nice chicken with a tiny bit of carrot and rice. Now she is going to the litter box again and no longer constipated. I am very angry. I spend 50 euros on this food. What a scam. Ingredients are weird too. Liver every day??? So many carbohydrates???

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I have been using Hill's Science Diet dry dog food for 18 yrs. and am completely with my dogs health & would highly recommend it for all dog owners. My vet. recommended it with our first dachshund that we got at 8 wks. old & passed when she was 13 yrs. old from a Pit Bull bite, our 2nd dachshund we got at 8 wks. & she is 5 yrs. old & is still on the same food. We use Hill's science diet, light, small bites and are very satisfied with the food. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Hills I/D Low Fat has been good for my dog's stomach. The only thing I notice is that it still has a lot of fat. And, I would prefer that it would be organic for the price that I am paying. My dog does like the two flavors that they have the stew and the original flavor, but it would be even better if they had more flavors available. And, I would also prefer that they have a lower amount of grain in the food.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dog was a fighter for her life. She had bounced back from many issues. Now she was old and had less resilience but was hanging on, going about her business in spite of a week and a half of diarrhea and weight loss. I took her to the vet because it had been going on so long. Since she was a puppy I had been feeding her real food, but I took a can of Hills i/d Digestive, thinking I could just use it for a few meals to firm up her bowels. After two meals, half a can, she was unable to get up off the floor on her own.

I stopped immediately and went back to real food, but it was too late. It gave her that push downhill and she kept getting worse. The diagnosis, which didn't come back until after she died, was pancreatitis and failure to absorb nutrients in the colon. Yes, she had problems already, but she was hanging on until the Hills. Two servings, and she wasn't hanging on anymore. I can't afford to sue myself, but if anybody wants a class, I would be so grateful to join it. Murderers.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our dogs were overweight and after being on this Metabolic Dry Dog Food for 1 month they both had lost weight. They continue to lose pounds and when they get to the preferred weight for their build we will feed them the same dog food at the suggested maintenance quantity.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I gradually switched over to Hills Derm Defense dog food due to skin conditions my dog has and he has developed diarrhea getting worse each day!! Pooping all over the house!!! I DON"T RECOMMEND BUYING THIS PRODUCT!!! I'm stopping BEFORE he gets any sicker!!!

Hills Pet Foods Company Information