1.79/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Hills Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

243 Hills Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

I want a food that has been tested by feeding trials in dogs. Hills is a reputable company whose products are backed by science. They use Quality ingredients and have their own labs and test facilities. The food is tasty, well tolerated, keeps skin and coat healthy, and produces firm stool with no smelly intestinal gas.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Over the years I've researched quite a few pet food makers. I look for nutritional value and if my pets like the taste. Hills is sold at our veterinarian office, so of course I started with them. It was great, but with all these new companies coming out, I've tried a few. I should have left well enough alone. My little ones are back on Hills Science Diet and I should have never fell for other companies false claims. In my opinion, Hills Science Diet is the best!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My dog was very sick with all sort of allergies. We did tests and it showed that she is allergic to everything apart from food which was not true. She was allergic to grass!! She also was allergic to food. We tried a lot of different diets before Z/D food and it was such a relief when ZD worked. It was a lifesaver for all of us. There was no diarrhea, no vomiting anymore. She was on ZD for 4 years. My dog loved both varieties wet food and granules. She died yesterday and I am angry on the whole world but it was cancer which killed her. She was 12.

But if it wasn't for ZD we probably would have lost her much earlier as everything she eat was causing diarrhea or vomiting even Hills I/D food, but ZD was like a miracle. Read Kim's from Sacramento review it is very helpful. I am sure the foods that Hills or any other company make are not 100% perfect but nothing in this world is unfortunately. Take care of your pets and thank you to Hills ZD from my family. I am not going to benefit in any way from writing this review. I only want to share my experience. I found these reviews when I was looking if a healthy dog without allergies can eat ZD food as it is prescription food. I have a big bag of ZD granules and 4 packs of ZD cans left.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got my Saint Shepherd puppy about 3 weeks ago. She was 14 weeks old when I received her. She came from a nasty backyard breeder who was essentially starving the mom and puppies, keeping them in dirty conditions (the kibble they ate was thrown on top their waste and they were hardly given fresh water), they had lived purely outside since they were 3 weeks of age in the middle of the VA Beach summer where humidity is at 100% and temperatures reach up to 105 degrees.

When I picked my puppy up she was severely underweight, had horrible diarrhea and vomiting constantly. At first I thought it was because she was on a diet that consisted of adult kibble until I saw blood in her waste. I rushed her to emergency vet where it was found she had a bad case of hookworms. And if she hadn't been taken in by me then she would have been dead by that next week.

When I was able to take her home I was given cans of GI Hills dog food. She started gaining her weight back and the vomit and diarrhea stopped. After she was through with the cans I gave her Pedigree Puppy Chow. She did fine with it but her waste was constantly too soft. I did some research and knew I should get her a large breed puppy food and found that Hills sells one. I bought the Hills Large Breed Puppy Food Lamb and Rice and so far she is loving it. Her waste is solid and she's gaining weight and size at a steady rate.

I've read the reviews here and I do not think most the reviews do this brand justice. I do not know the circumstances of the other reviewers' animals so I can't say anything. But my experience with it so far is positive. My girl is healthy and is on the course to becoming a great dog, I plan on keeping her on the Hills Science Diet for a long time.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was so alarmed & frustrated by the 1 star reviews here, I decided it was time for someone to share a little common sense. I have used 3 prescription diets from Hill's - on 3 different dogs - with successful outcomes for all of them. *1st & most importantly: Our dogs are not immortal (sadly). They do NOT live long lives (to our heartbreak). When we have companies, like Hill's, spending millions of dollars on research to attempt to provide products that help heal, maintain health, or extend the life of our pets by some standard of measure - we should be grateful. It wasn't too terribly long ago we had NOTHING. *2nd: Does anyone REALLY believe that Hill's goes through the trouble of extensive research & development to create products that injure or even kill our pets? Wouldn't that put them OUT of business? Do you REALLY believe that's their goal?

*3rd: Is it at ALL possible the pets in the reviews here were very very ill - and succumbed to their disease, and were going to die regardless if they used Hill's or nothing at all? The schnauzer with the 8 cm liver mass: That's deadly/terminal. By the time your dog was symptomatic, the disease was already well progressed. That's the unfortunate part about dogs - is they can't tell us they're not well until they're REALLY really sick. Your dog very likely had cancer that had already SPREAD and was in places that you had not biopsied (brain, spleen, lungs, stomach, kidneys, etc) nor could see or touch.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog, mine died of a blood cancer that had spread to the liver - age 11. Tried surgery, diets, everything - but all we could do at the end (2 mo after diagnosis) was make her comfortable as she slipped away. Dog food did NOT kill your dog, cancer did. :( And I feel your pain, I do. Dog food did NOT cause the cancer, either - and this is important... Dogs are exposed to the same elements we are - and just like us, we just do not know what causes cancer in our pets. Animals in the wild also get cancer.

Moving on - The dog who lost weight due to renal disease - Renal disease DOES cause weight loss - that's a MAJOR symptom of renal disease in pets (and even humans)! No matter what that person fed their dog, the dog was going to lose weight, and likely - ultimately -pass away from the kidney disease, or related failures. People die of kidney disease, too, even with transplants, diet changes, and dialysis - sometimes it's just not enough. Dogs are no exception.

I could go on and add my 2 cents on the other reviews - but I think my point is clear: When our dogs are showing serious symptoms of disease - they are already well into the disease (it has progressed), and all you can do is hope and pray their disease can be slowed or cured. If your dog has cancer - I'm sad to say - it's going to pass away from cancer. Blaming a dog food company who is financially invested in providing products that HEAL or HELP our pets is irresponsible. Unless you can directly correlate the consumption of their product to your dog's death or illness, it's defamation.

I have used Hill's prescription diets because our vet uses it on her OWN dogs! My dog with thyroid disease (among other things) was on R/D to get his weight down. It saved his life, as far as I'm concerned. Lost 12 lbs safely, with complete blood panels done throughout showing healthy organ function. Because of R/D his life was extended & it helped us manage his medical conditions. He died of prostate cancer at age 11. Our cat was on C/D Feline for years - and she lived an incredibly long life (16 yrs). Our present dog is on S/D in an attempt to dissolve bladder stones - we are crossing our fingers.

One last comment about bladder stones (w/regard to the complaint here that a dog developed stones because of c/d - which is an impossibility): No one knows why some dogs get bladder stones and some don't. But one thing we DO know 100%: Dogs will have bladder stones ALONG with an infection. So how did your dog get that infection? Who knows - but if you can eliminate the source of the infection, you can stop the development of struvite stones. There are other stones your dog can get that cannot be dissolved by a change in diet - they must be surgically removed, as they will NOT dissolve on their own... and they are deadly.

The idea situation is that you can catch a stone or retrieve one to analyze to determine what kind of stone it is. If you can do that - then your vet will know exactly how to treat it. As well - your dog will produce stones if their pH LEVEL in their urine is HIGH (above 6)! My dog has always eaten Natural Balance Limited Ingredient dry & canned foods... we have always kept his weight in check, and exercise him daily. But he got stones - and we blame NO ONE. It is what it is.

Losing a pet is pretty awful - that we can all agree on. We hate to see them suffer, and in our attempt to avoid the inevitable (that they just do not live long enough) - we invest in treatments that may or may not work. Here we have a company that develops food to try to save our pets is blamed for their deaths after being diagnosed with terminal illnesses... there is no logic in that. Science Diet has worked for us, we've had NO side effects or negative experiences over a span of 15 years of using their products, and we've been very satisfied with the results.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: June 15, 2019

Today I took my cat in to the vet to get his nails clipped like I do every 6 weeks and before leaving saw some cans of Hill's k/d near checkout I hadn't noticed before. I asked about cost for a can or two just to let my big boy kitty possibly try some because he likes to have new tastes here and there. I ended up buying a large can of the kidney care (k/d) wet food and also a small can of the Digestive Care (i/d) wet food as well. I opened the large can of kidney care about a half hour ago to feed my kitty and to my surprise saw this off-whitish small glob right on top of the wet food which I have to say looks like a loogie of spit which is completely disgusting. I immediately tried to reach my vet's office where I bought these cans today to ask if this is normal to expect on the food but they close early Saturday and I just missed them.

Then I thought I should look online to see if anyone else has posted any other information similar to my situation or if Hills website offers any insight to what this "thing" is sitting right in the middle of what was supposed to be kitty's lunch but found nothing regarding this issue. Now what I did see was many many many other types of serious issues addressed by pet owners regarding declining health or rapid sickness which sound like are due to this Hill's Brand Dog and Cat Food (wet and dry food). These reviews are very serious issues that I feel no pet owner should have to be dealing with as well as no pets of course.

Most importantly these issues shouldn't be caused by any pet food company regardless especially one like Hill's which states they use quality safe ingredients that apparently help various health concerns when it clearly does the opposite, hurting many innocent pets who are just trying to eat a good healthy meal or in my case can't even try the food because it has some nasty glob pressed into the wet food which is God knows what. All these "top notch" claims by the company as well as vet's offices nationwide support of sales seem like nothing more than false advertising or uneducated belief of this being as great as it states... Because if these heartfelt sincere stories I have read on this review thread here today were read by those who make and distribute/sell these items then maybe it would force this company to stop making food that makes animals so sick, even to the point of killing them!

All it should take is the entities whom support this company really stop and read or for God's sake listen to the various stories just right here regarding this brand of food and its correlations to many dogs and cats health issues after consumption, then I would like to think that would at least affect how much of these products are being sold by vets offices or pet stores at least until this company makes some serious changes that are of benefit to our pet's health instead of hurting them. I know this is a big hope I express but dang it, why is it ok for any pet food maker to mass produce God knows what that makes so many animals whom eat it very unhealthy or even die in some cases or have recalls left and right or let random things get into the food that shouldn't be in it whether it be what I found in my can today or the black glass type grounds found mixed up in another reviewers doggies food...

Why is this continuing without any progress to healthier standards or safer practices from all the consumer complaints or outreach? Hill's denies any issues repeatedly and only addresses the minimum when it has become a recall. Companies who choose to not listen to what their customers enjoy or immensely dislike and continue to make unappealing or bad goods will not stay in business very long. It shows already as many of your once customers have stopped purchasing any Hill's products and have instead found a much better food that doesn't cause sickness like the products by Hill's are causing. Those customers and now myself, a potential regular customer are now getting our pet's needs handled elsewhere or will be instead.

I personally don't want to take any chances with losing my kitty by feeding him something bad. I mean the first can I buy has something foreign on it that looks way nasty which is instead going to be fed to my garbage disposal. I really hope Hill's can turn this situation around instead of saying nothing is even a problem each time a pet parent contacts them to ask why their pet is say dying from the bad food they have eaten... And instead took each call with serious concern the way each should be. My heart goes out to all of those that reviewed and I also thank you for each one as well as each supplied some insight to why I should just dump both cans I purchased and to seek out a better brand for my buddy to eat. One more thing... If anyone else has seen the same cream colored thing on their cat's wet food upon opening can you tell me? Thank you in advance.

Original review: June 7, 2019

This brand comes in cat and dog formulas. I feed it to my dog and cats. I like that they offer a variety of life stages. Due to the high quality of the ingredients, I see less "waste" from my animals.

Original review: May 23, 2019

First, my dog almost died from your food. Cost me almost $900.00 to save him. I sent in (certified mail) all that you requested and received a letter back stating that by May 20th I should hear something. No...never happened. I called customer service and was BLATANTLY LIED to. Next time I called, on the same day after finding out the truth, was told another story and then today chatted with a Lisa who just gave me the company run-around. Shame on your company. You can KILL or ALMOST KILL our pets with your food but can't man up and do the right thing. My reference number is **--Sunny Daze is my dogs name.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We put our pure bred miniature dachshund on Hills U/D diet dry food when our vet found cystine crystals in his bladder. The goal was to keep him on this food for a few months and retest. We also got him neutered to rule out testosterone as the cause. At first, he wouldn't even eat it, so we ordered canned Hill's U/D food as well. Once he got hungry enough to eat it, he would throw up in the morning. We feed him in the late afternoon. Then this progressed to throwing up twice a day. I spoke to the vet again, and they recommended getting him an antacid. He has continued to throw up, even with the antacid. In fact, he started to throw up a lot and stopped drinking water, unless forced. He has been on this food for two weeks, and I began researching other options. I cannot justify causing our sweet boy more harm for the food. I'd rather have to make his food myself than further risk his overall health. I would not ever recommend this food to anyone.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I no longer feed my dogs Hills Science Diet. I am not a fan of a company who feeds dogs, that test on dogs, beagle specifically and euthanizes them. After the feeding trials those dogs do not live past being fed garbage.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have a beloved Yorkshire terrier. Family pet. Unconditional love. Oscar was poisoned in January. I knew he had been poisoned, but I couldn't figure out how. How? I took him to the vet and we did blood work and gave fluids. My dog had hypercalcemia and I was told to brace myself, he would have a cardiac event any minute and would be dead. I should be prepared.

I nursed Oscar back to life -- not health-- by hand feeding him, carrying outside to pee and poop, propping him up, now he is very very bad. Very very much dying before my eyes. He can't walk. He can barely crawl -- sometimes. He can't move correctly his front elbows. He is very very thin. Hills food products killed him. It is killing me watching him die. Their products need to stop being sold in the US until proven safe because they are not safe. Hills must give compensation -- which won't compensate this loss -- but if they don't, they should face criminal charges.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I bought Hills liver l/d health food because my dog has elevated liver enzymes and my vet recommended a switch. However, upon introducing the new food into my dog’s diet, I notice about 5 days later that my dog was seeking more water than usual, a drastic decrease in energy and showed signs of pain. All he wanted was to cuddle and not move, it got progressively worst and on day 7 when he started farting and showed signs of stomach ache, I decided to research his symptoms and crosscheck them with this brand of food. People have expressed alarming similarities to what my dog is starting to seem like and I decided to stop the use of the food and return the it. Please please, people keep an eye on your dogs and be aware of how they react with such changes as prescribed by vets.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Atlantic Veterinary Hospital in Marblehead, MA. After a routine cleaning, my veterinarian offered me Hills T/D Dental - advocating it pretty well. So I did what they said and made the switch... And my vet lost my trust. Like others who have experienced this, my dog ate this food less and less until it made her sick and blood leaked from her rectum. **And she refused to eat it.

Finally suspecting the food, I looked online to find all these reviews. Naturally, I didn't want her to eat anymore of it so I couldn't gradually switch the food out...After I gave her Regional Red from Orijen (Which she gobbled right up), I then had to deal with diarrhea all over my apartment. And since Hill's is outrageously overpriced, I can say with all honesty my dog went through unnecessary pain and suffering (and if we hadn't caught it in time who knows how bad it could have been) and everyone also knows how lovely it is to pick diarrhea up from all over the carpet...and finally what a waste of $$!!!

But worst of all is the fact that vets are recommending this to unsuspecting pet owners!!! I can't believe that. Is there some kind of deal this food has with vets (as if they already don't make too much money off people)? Whatever the case is it's very alarming. One of these reviews say this food killed their animal. I am pretty sure vets shouldn't be offering foods with reviews like that. I am so mad, as a consumer I would like to propose a lawsuit to anyone else who had to deal with this. For morality's sake.

Original review: April 12, 2019

It is highly rated. My dog likes it and she is very healthy. The dog food doesn't have fillers and keeps her fit as she is very active. Never have any complaints from the vet and my dog never looks lethargic.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Two dogs have flourished on this product over a number of years. I buy it online and in big bags for convenience (mostly - they are heavy!) because I can count on it being available. I use the chicken flavor.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Originally I thought another dog food was making my dog sick so I took her to the vet to help her but instead she went on this prescription dog food. Before this dog food she had a clean bill of health from her vet, no cancer, kidneys, liver, pancreas, heart all great. She died in two weeks, when I started to feed her I had no idea I was feeding her poison. She slowly got worse drinking water excessively, she couldn't even though she loved life and I just keep on feeding her that food thinking I was making her better. Her lymph nodes were swollen now and her diarrhea would not stop. I had no idea that it was recalled for excessive Vitamin D. She got so bad that she could not walk or move but she just drooled and finally threw up excessively. She finally died, Now I know that this group of dog food from Hills prescription was recalled from last year and I am just waiting until they look into this batch of their dog food. Please do not feed your dog this food.

Original review: March 24, 2019

My Yorkie I've had for 6 years always had skin issues and my vet recommended z/d food sensitivity to try. I fed her the wet dog food for 4 days and on the 5th day she woke up vomiting, drinking water excessively, diarrhea, lethargic and peeing a lot. I took her to the vet where she stayed for 2 days because she was in kidney failure. My vet was in disbelief how fast she was declining and so was I. I had to put her down...and nothing was wrong with my Sassy until she ate this food. DON'T BUY THIS FOOD. I WISH I NEVER DID. I'M HEARTBROKEN. I'm being made to rate this food. I would give it a ZERO FOR THE DEATH OF MY BABY.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Our dog is experiencing many of the same symptoms as noted in all these recent reviews. It is a travesty that something that is available only via prescription is killing the pets it is designed to aid. We have been feeding our dog the Hills z/d Ultra wet and dry food for years without any issues. Now, our dog is fighting for its life. We noticed a lot of vomiting and runny poops. He was very lethargic and we had to let him out in the middle of the night to pee or he would have accidents in the house. He used to be able to sleep through the night. I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet said he has kidney failure. He is getting fluids intravenously today. Not sure he if he is going to make it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Used many many years but this year used recall ZD and dog got so sick. She rather starve than eat it. I can only imagine the taste. She started drinking 3 times water and constantly peeing. She was lethargic and slept nonstop. Her lymph nodes were swollen. She limped and could hardly walk. She had diarrhea and vomiting. She went to vet about 6 times getting xrays and biopsies and intravenous drip. After weeks made my own food. Still seeing vet spending thousands but she is eating now. Still drinking lots water. Going vet tomorrow to check blood again and kidneys. She still is not herself. Am very sad. Didn't know about recall right away. Very sad. Quality control wasn't done on product and too much Vitamin D and poisoning her kidney. Never ever will buy Hills again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I accidentally found out today, about the January 31, 2019 recall. I've been feeding my 3 dogs this dog food for about a year, at my veterinarian's request, even though it went against my common sense. The poor quality of its contents was disturbing especially since it was for sick dogs. I discussed this with my vet and she assured me it was the best, because it was controlled as to what was in it, so better for the dogs. What a joke! I don't know how long I've been poisoning my babies but definitely been feeding them the recall. I never received an email from Banfield who prescribed the dog food! I'm a very upset mommy!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

As all the other pet owners my Moñeca started becoming very lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea, a lot of shaking. I took her to the vet and was told her kidney and liver were failing. They did blood work twice and could not figure out what was wrong. She had an ultrasound and doctor said she'd never seen anything like it. I started giving her regular blended chicken and vegetables. I gave her CBD oil. Stopped giving her Hill's Science Diet. This food would make her get worse. She survived, but it was a horrible experience and very expensive vet bills/tests. No more Hill's food for my pups.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

If I could select zero stars I would!! Their very expensive prescription food was recalled. This vitamin D recall is what killed my sweet Rottweiler. I found out about the recall the day after I had her put to sleep. I will never trust this company again!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This is so sad. My dog Bubba 16 years old was prescribe the metabolic and sensitive stomach and urgent care 'cause I told the vet Bubba had a flu with a cough and had vomited. Well the vet gave her antibiotics which cured the flu coughs but my dog later started to seem off on her balance. My dog stopped eating and pooping. It's been 2 weeks now and my dog has not been the same. Still not eating and pooping. My dog is so weak. The recall said the dog would recover after you stop giving the Hill's Science diet food. 2 other vet visits and they suggest putting her to sleep. This is so sad after putting trust in your Vet with Hill's Science Diet Dog Food.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Ella was diagnosed with bilateral renal dysplasia two years ago and had been on K/D up until she passed. About a week prior to having to put her down she no longer wanted to eat. She was vomiting everywhere, had diarrhea all day every day even in her crate and was soiling her bedding. I thought that her kidneys were just getting worse and took her to the vet. Her BUN had QUADRUPLED to 207 (the vet had to dilute her blood to even get this reading) so I had to make the choice to put her down for her health. Little did I know, two days later I would get an email from PetSmart stating there was a recall on her food.

I don't understand how a company that produces food for kidney care can let something like this slip through the cracks. I am demanding higher quality control from this company and looking towards pursuing a lawsuit to avenge my baby. Stay far away from this company if you are trying to save your dog's life. If I had known then what I know now, and that is this company has very poor quality control regulations then I would have NEVER listened to the vet and gave this food to my sweet baby. You took a life away Hills. And by the look of these comments she wasn't alone. Get ready for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This was my precious little Lucy Lou. She was 15 years old when she died on January 7th. While she was beginning to lose her hearing and her eyesight wasn't as for strong as it used to be, she still loved to run and play with her big sister. Our veterinarian put her on your c/d prescription dog food several years ago. She wasn't really keen on just eating the dried food, so I would put about three-quarters of a tablespoon to a tablespoon and mix it together. I would alternate between the chicken and the stewed flavors. I was in California during this past Christmas. My neighbor, who was taking care of Lucy, ran out of the canned dog food and went to our vet here in Vero Beach Florida to buy another.

This was 2 days before I returned/December 30th, 2018. I noticed that she was drinking more water than usual and urinating more frequently, but I wasn't connecting what was really happening. The night before she died she wandered the house and cried and cried. I immediately took her to the vet the next morning. She cried in the car, she cried in my arms as I rocked her. I thought it was just her time and made the decision to put her down. We could see how much pain she was in, how much she was suffering. Because she was such a healthy little girl, I felt she would die peacefully of old age, not so painfully. When you made it known on January 31st, 2019 that these products are tainted with toxic levels of vitamin D, I was horrified to realize that we were feeding her food that would, in fact, poison her! I have called your company three times explaining the situation wanting to speak with someone.

I had to wait on the phone a very long time to even speak to a representative. I gave that person my phone number and my email address. I have yet to hear from anyone in your company. I've also spoken to my vet who told me but they had never received any information regarding the recall of that particular dog food. I am in so much mourning and so much pain. I have lost a precious friend that I spent sharing 15 years of my life with. I am certain, beyond a doubt, that the last can my neighbor purchased at the end of December is responsible for the poisoning and death of my puppy.

Had this information been posted sooner I might have known that all that water that she was drinking and the frequent urination were signs of toxic levels of vitamin D in her system and we might have been able to save her! Saying that you are sorry and that you feel badly in no way compensates for the loss I feel. I will again reiterate, she died suffering a great deal of pain on January 7th 2019. You did not announce the recall until January 31st 2019. Too late to save my girl. Due to the fact, that you have not bothered to return my call. I will never buy any Hills dog food products!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Our dog, Willow, had a sensitive stomach, but no life-threatening illnesses. The vet put her on Hills Prescription w/d canned food. After eating it for almost a year, Willow passed away suddenly last month. We saw 2 weeks later that the food she had been on had been recalled. We don't understand how a food that needs a prescription to buy isn't quality controlled. We hope no one else has to go through such a horrendous experience and will stay away from all Hills products.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Our vet prescribed this food for my dog's allergies in December, 2018. I ordered a case of 24 small cans and mixed it in with dry food. For the past week, my dog has been vomiting in the middle of the night and has been lethargic. I was planning to take him to the vet when I saw the recall on national news. Sure enough, his food is listed on the recall list.

When I called Hills' number and waited for half an hour, their "customer service" representative was rude and treated me very unprofessionally. When I asked her about a refund or replacement for my 24 cans of z/d, she said they were not there to provide refunds or replacements because they had no way of knowing if I had actually bought the cans. When I said I had the order number and tracking number, she still said they couldn't help me. This company will no longer get my business. My dog seems a little better since I stopped giving him the recalled food, but I will never buy products from such an unprofessional and UNSAFE company again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I wouldn't want any other family or dog to go through what we went through! December of 2018 we had been feeding our dog Hill's Prescription Diet I/D low-fat dog food along with dry food. He had been on this canned prescription diet for 6-8 years due to pancreatitis. He became lethargic, not eating, thirsty and drooling. Was taken to vet and had blood work done. He had extremely elevated kidney levels. The vet sent him home with fluids and antibiotics. Was told to come back if not getting better. He didn't make it more than 8 hours at home and passed away. Was then taken to emergency vet and this vet diagnosed him with kidney failure due to test results from previous vet (8 hours prior) and bleeding ulcers in mouth that previous vet never saw!

The 1st vet thought he had gotten into something. We could not figure out what he had gotten into as we have 2 other dogs that had no symptoms. They did not eat this food. The Hills recall had not been advised yet. Knowing what I know now I would never recommend this brand of dog food. This brand is veterinarian appoved and you need a prescription from vet to buy this food. Expensive food that killed my dog!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Our Mini Poodle (13 yo) had been prescribed Hills dog food by the vet about a year ago when diagnosed with diabetes. For the most part he liked the food and we didn't have any issue until 6 weeks ago when he suddenly could no longer hold it (pee and pooing every 60-120 min) and seemed chronically tired/in pain. While all his tests seemed normal and was in general good health, it was clear something was very wrong. Around Xmas we had to put him down and just attributed it to his "time." Come to find out a month later there had been a recall of Hills food due to the potential renal failure (or elevated Vitamin D as they articulate on the website). Things happen and the food was normally good, there's a reason why the vets prescribe it. Just know getting ahold of them is very difficult if you need to and please stay abreast of the latest recalls and report sudden changes in your pup as that helps all if there is a widespread issue.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Hill's has announced another recall - yep, another one. This time for vitamin D poisoning. My Sheltie was "prescribed" a Hill's Z/D diet by our veterinarian for irritable bowel syndrome. Fine, I was more than willing to pay the price ($$$) for her health. Now I find out the quality control at this business is virtually none existent - one recall after another (you can do your own internet research regarding this company). My dog is sick now but hopefully I've caught it in time. My personal plan is to 1) Never have another Hill's product in my home and 2) Find another veterinarian - I would have never bought the product if I knew what I know now.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information