2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

Hill’s creates science-based diets for your pets. The company emphasizes quality and employs people with a dietary background to propel its product development. Hill’s pet foods use high-quality ingredients, and the company performs daily safety checks on finished products to add an extra layer of protection.

Hills Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Like many other dog consumers I was also referred to this brand by my vet. I was in the early stages of introducing the food to my Golden Retriever, actually day 7 of transition. I noticed that my dog began scratching one side of her neck constantly and developed sores. I brought her into the Vet to get checked out and while she was under and the shaved hair removed we could see that she had a strong reaction. It was bright red and bleeding from the top of her ear to under her neck. This was just what we could see of the area that had been shaved. She was given steroid, antiflammatory, antibiotics injections etc. Now she is on 12 tablets in all then going down to 8 tablets for 12 consecutive days. Needless to say like others I have gone back to her old regular dry dog food and hope all of this is behind her. I do not recommend this dog food and have thrown it out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Read the list of ingredients! This stuff is garbage and I’m not only upset that my vet told me to use it for my diabetic lab but also at myself for not checking the ingredients. Corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal...? No wonder I can’t get her glucose under control! Home feed!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I never really trusted or any brand sold by vets and never bought it, ever. Recently the vet gave us a trial bag. I gave it to my pit bull mix and rough collie. They both had really bad diarrhea the same color as the food. How gross.. Purina One (no chicken based dog foods of any kind) will always be our go to kibble for some portions of their meal. I primarily feed wholesome and raw. I love the small and harder poops! The less firm poops means the body has kept more from the meal and was indeed beneficial and nutritious. Like humans with processed food we can only eat it every so often. But can you imagine what it’s like every day for the rest of your entire life eating a sausage biscuit. Lol. The veterinary offices are really trying to sell this product. I will never get it again and threw out this bag! Sorry.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Had my Havapoo on Nutro Ultra since a puppy. Good food, all nutritious and not grain free. Never should have listened to vet! To change his food to Hills Science Stomach and Skin!!!! Took the food one evening. He started scratching himself all night and the morning he woke up in his kennel he had a seizure and foaming at his mouth!!! By far the scariest day of my life today!!! My husband and I taking him to the vet. Almost lost my 2 year old Havapoo 'cause of this food!! Had blood work done. His liver level's up. Sign of liver damage!! He was fine. No problems. Very healthy 'til we gave him this horrible food!! Never never again!!! He is fine now. Back with Nutro Ultra for small dogs!!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

This brand comes in cat and dog formulas. I feed it to my dog and cats. I like that they offer a variety of life stages. Due to the high quality of the ingredients, I see less "waste" from my animals.

Original review: May 23, 2019

First, my dog almost died from your food. Cost me almost $900.00 to save him. I sent in (certified mail) all that you requested and received a letter back stating that by May 20th I should hear something. No...never happened. I called customer service and was BLATANTLY LIED to. Next time I called, on the same day after finding out the truth, was told another story and then today chatted with a Lisa who just gave me the company run-around. Shame on your company. You can KILL or ALMOST KILL our pets with your food but can't man up and do the right thing. My reference number is **--Sunny Daze is my dogs name.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We put our pure bred miniature dachshund on Hills U/D diet dry food when our vet found cystine crystals in his bladder. The goal was to keep him on this food for a few months and retest. We also got him neutered to rule out testosterone as the cause. At first, he wouldn't even eat it, so we ordered canned Hill's U/D food as well. Once he got hungry enough to eat it, he would throw up in the morning. We feed him in the late afternoon. Then this progressed to throwing up twice a day. I spoke to the vet again, and they recommended getting him an antacid. He has continued to throw up, even with the antacid. In fact, he started to throw up a lot and stopped drinking water, unless forced. He has been on this food for two weeks, and I began researching other options. I cannot justify causing our sweet boy more harm for the food. I'd rather have to make his food myself than further risk his overall health. I would not ever recommend this food to anyone.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I no longer feed my dogs Hills Science Diet. I am not a fan of a company who feeds dogs, that test on dogs, beagle specifically and euthanizes them. After the feeding trials those dogs do not live past being fed garbage.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have a beloved Yorkshire terrier. Family pet. Unconditional love. Oscar was poisoned in January. I knew he had been poisoned, but I couldn't figure out how. How? I took him to the vet and we did blood work and gave fluids. My dog had hypercalcemia and I was told to brace myself, he would have a cardiac event any minute and would be dead. I should be prepared.

I nursed Oscar back to life -- not health-- by hand feeding him, carrying outside to pee and poop, propping him up, now he is very very bad. Very very much dying before my eyes. He can't walk. He can barely crawl -- sometimes. He can't move correctly his front elbows. He is very very thin. Hills food products killed him. It is killing me watching him die. Their products need to stop being sold in the US until proven safe because they are not safe. Hills must give compensation -- which won't compensate this loss -- but if they don't, they should face criminal charges.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I bought Hills liver l/d health food because my dog has elevated liver enzymes and my vet recommended a switch. However, upon introducing the new food into my dog’s diet, I notice about 5 days later that my dog was seeking more water than usual, a drastic decrease in energy and showed signs of pain. All he wanted was to cuddle and not move, it got progressively worst and on day 7 when he started farting and showed signs of stomach ache, I decided to research his symptoms and crosscheck them with this brand of food. People have expressed alarming similarities to what my dog is starting to seem like and I decided to stop the use of the food and return the it. Please please, people keep an eye on your dogs and be aware of how they react with such changes as prescribed by vets.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information