2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

Hills Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Vet prescribed y/d for my cat with hyperthyroidism when the usual medications didn't work for him. I tried the wet food and the dry food. He wouldn't eat it. His appetite is fine, he just knew better. Had to resort to every trick I could find to get him to eat. And his weight dropped and his health worsened. There is nothing in it that warrants a prescription. It contains ingredients that are commonly found in the lowest quality foods, at more than double the price of higher quality brands. After a year of struggling to get him to eat it, I gave up and began cooking a low-iodine diet for him at home. He has regained weight and his thyroid levels are testing better. It's quite easy and inexpensive Shame on the vets who push this food. Whatever incentives your clinics get from Hills are at the expense of the pets who get stuck choking this stuff down.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My diabetic Yorkie ate this for 5 YEARS with no issues. They recently changed it -- he snubbed his nose at it, but had to eat it because of the diabetes. Had a SEIZURE this morning. Took him to vet. Brought him home. Fed him dinner. SEIZURE before he was finished eating it. Continued to seize, back to vet where he was screaming so bad from the seizures. They had to give him anesthesia. Said he probably would continue this if he took off the anesthesia. Had to put him down. The ONLY thing different was this food. Had his diabetes controlled for 5 years!!!! DO NOT RISK THIS FOOD.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Our dog Dexter has been diabetic for 3 years and has been on the Hills Prescription Diet W/D for that entire time. He did well with it and his diabetes was managed. Last month I bought a new bag of this food from my vet and noticed that the packaging and the shape/size of the food had changed. Unfortunately the ingredients also changed and it has caused many issues with our dog. His glucose levels are not as predictable, he suffers from upset stomach, soft stools and tremendous gas. I will no longer buy anything from Hills. The changes to this food were not explained by Hills or advertised and I suspect the quality of the ingredients has gone down. Their food now makes my pet sick.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Hello, Only a few days into a vet prescribed Hills Metabolic Weight Management regime and my little Joey started displaying signs of confusion, disorientation, lethargy and even exhaustion or sedation and excess thirst as well. Joey's hind legs started shaking under his weight suggesting an impact on his nervous system? Joey has forgotten how to use the two little steps to help him up to the ottoman, which he normally does without thinking. It's really scary. I keep checking to make sure Joey is still breathing. About to take Joey for a short walk to hopefully get some of the poison out of his system. Really scary seeing Joey in this state. I ceased dispensing Hills Metabolic suspecting Joey is allergic and reacting to one of its components. Meanwhile, it's back to the previous diet perhaps in lower quantities. Regards, Seamus. :)

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Like many other dog consumers I was also referred to this brand by my vet. I was in the early stages of introducing the food to my Golden Retriever, actually day 7 of transition. I noticed that my dog began scratching one side of her neck constantly and developed sores. I brought her into the Vet to get checked out and while she was under and the shaved hair removed we could see that she had a strong reaction. It was bright red and bleeding from the top of her ear to under her neck. This was just what we could see of the area that had been shaved. She was given steroid, antiflammatory, antibiotics injections etc. Now she is on 12 tablets in all then going down to 8 tablets for 12 consecutive days. Needless to say like others I have gone back to her old regular dry dog food and hope all of this is behind her. I do not recommend this dog food and have thrown it out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Read the list of ingredients! This stuff is garbage and I’m not only upset that my vet told me to use it for my diabetic lab but also at myself for not checking the ingredients. Corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal...? No wonder I can’t get her glucose under control! Home feed!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I never really trusted or any brand sold by vets and never bought it, ever. Recently the vet gave us a trial bag. I gave it to my pit bull mix and rough collie. They both had really bad diarrhea the same color as the food. How gross.. Purina One (no chicken based dog foods of any kind) will always be our go to kibble for some portions of their meal. I primarily feed wholesome and raw. I love the small and harder poops! The less firm poops means the body has kept more from the meal and was indeed beneficial and nutritious. Like humans with processed food we can only eat it every so often. But can you imagine what it’s like every day for the rest of your entire life eating a sausage biscuit. Lol. The veterinary offices are really trying to sell this product. I will never get it again and threw out this bag! Sorry.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Had my Havapoo on Nutro Ultra since a puppy. Good food, all nutritious and not grain free. Never should have listened to vet! To change his food to Hills Science Stomach and Skin!!!! Took the food one evening. He started scratching himself all night and the morning he woke up in his kennel he had a seizure and foaming at his mouth!!! By far the scariest day of my life today!!! My husband and I taking him to the vet. Almost lost my 2 year old Havapoo 'cause of this food!! Had blood work done. His liver level's up. Sign of liver damage!! He was fine. No problems. Very healthy 'til we gave him this horrible food!! Never never again!!! He is fine now. Back with Nutro Ultra for small dogs!!!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

First, my dog almost died from your food. Cost me almost $900.00 to save him. I sent in (certified mail) all that you requested and received a letter back stating that by May 20th I should hear something. No...never happened. I called customer service and was BLATANTLY LIED to. Next time I called, on the same day after finding out the truth, was told another story and then today chatted with a Lisa who just gave me the company run-around. Shame on your company. You can KILL or ALMOST KILL our pets with your food but can't man up and do the right thing. My reference number is **--Sunny Daze is my dogs name.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We put our pure bred miniature dachshund on Hills U/D diet dry food when our vet found cystine crystals in his bladder. The goal was to keep him on this food for a few months and retest. We also got him neutered to rule out testosterone as the cause. At first, he wouldn't even eat it, so we ordered canned Hill's U/D food as well. Once he got hungry enough to eat it, he would throw up in the morning. We feed him in the late afternoon. Then this progressed to throwing up twice a day. I spoke to the vet again, and they recommended getting him an antacid. He has continued to throw up, even with the antacid. In fact, he started to throw up a lot and stopped drinking water, unless forced. He has been on this food for two weeks, and I began researching other options. I cannot justify causing our sweet boy more harm for the food. I'd rather have to make his food myself than further risk his overall health. I would not ever recommend this food to anyone.

Hills Pet Foods Company Information