1.18/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

141 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

All my cats ate Friskies since 2014. Lately, they sniff and walk away from it. It's cans with new labels. My cat used to love Friskies Indoor flaked fish. I got 2 cans a few weeks ago. When I opened both, it was not flaked fish at all - I don't know what it was! Weird big chunks of meat with holes in a greenish brown sauce. Both cats sniffed, refused to eat and walked away from it. I took photos of the can, threw food out, and contacted Friskies who said it "could have been a manufacturing error." Something has definitely changed with Friskies and their reply guessing what happened, is not acceptable. My cat got sick 5 days later and I had to take him to the vet. I will NEVER buy Friskies ever again...

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Despite what their website says, Friskies canned pate cat food obviously did change when the label did. It no longer has much of a smell when opened, and a cat won’t eat what a cat can’t smell. There are no juices around the edges or in the bottom of the can. It is a dry plop of “play dough” stuff that has made all my cats vomit and none will now eat it. All flavors of pate. I’ve fed this for years. I buy a couple of boxes at a time. I’ve tried to work with this new situation for weeks. I currently have 12 cats. I also have cans that are double stamped with pink dots! From what I’ve read Purina is aware and ignoring. Please write about and report this as much as possible!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Feb 11, 2019 - Last 6 weeks at a Stop&Shop in West Haven, CT their prices went from 20 cans/$10.00. Then jumped to .60 per can and yesterday it went to 10cans/$8.00. That’s .80 per can. What is going on?? Is there any control on pricing because .80 cents a can for Friskies is outrageous, what is going on? .50, .60 .80 in 6 weeks??? Any answer?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Friskies dry with canned cat food for years. I noticed a change mid-summer 2018 when they would eat then have massive projectile vomiting. One cat had bloody mucus covered stool. Like the other reviews, once the label changed again in late 2018, it got worse. I took them to the vet and they all check out. On January 2nd, my beloved 18 year old died from not being able to poop. I have another 21 year old cat who is vomiting daily. The younger cats are barely eating the food and when they do, they vomit.

After reading the other reviews here, I’m eliminating the Friskies canned cat food and changing to another brand. I just checked one of my cats who usually weighs 15 pounds. He is skin and bones under his fur and looking thin in the hindquarters - the same way my other cat who died started to look. It seems too coincidental that there are so many cats experiencing the same symptoms. My 21 year old cat lived on Friskies - I’d be disappointed to find that this food had been causing my cats to get so sick. Shame on Friskies for ignoring so many reviews detailing the same issue.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Twice now I’ve boughten Friskies can cat food. First time I opened a can and found it half full. Thought maybe it was just that one, but know it was the whole bunch! Very unhappy and will never buy their pet food again!?? And will definitely spread the word around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My cat normally is very impatient about getting her nibble of canned food each night -- but just recently she's dramatically reduced her consumption and did not touch last night's offering. Oct 2020 date.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I used to feed my cats Purina indoor formula. Well, had to change because of the price. So I started Friskies Seafood Sensations in the bag, dry. They seemed to love it. The next day, didn't want anything to do with it. They graze now, just enough to make their bellies not hurt. The canned makes them sick. Fancy Feast, makes them sick. They won't eat any other cat food I have bought, but they will eat the dry Friskies SS. But I end up having to clean it off the floor after they get sick. I called them the end of the summer, they said nothing has changed to their formula, but those cats smell that something has changed! Going to buy them some tuna and boil them some chicken now.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My rescue kitten, Arthur, started on Friskies wet food in October. He was perfectly fine eating it - had a good appetite, was gaining well and very healthy. I don’t know what has changed starting January 2019, but every time I feed him the same food he’s always had, he vomits and also has diarrhea. He now hasn’t eaten in two days after the last bout of sick stomach. Taking him to vet but I’m convinced, after reading other reviews here, that’s it’s the food. Who is monitoring these reviews in order to create a report to the company?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Much like others over the last while my cats (and my brother's as well) have started to refuse to eat Friskies canned food, even the formerly popular Fancy Feast. They were rejecting some flavors at first but now it is all of them, eating at most half of what they are given. One cat throws up whenever she eats the chicken pate.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have eight cats of my own and feed cats in a colony. Friskies has always been reasonably priced. I go to the store today to restock and from last week the price went up $0.16, I drive to another store and the price went up $0.10. What happened in a week that the price of cat food jumped? Is it because you changed the label on the can, I don't eat the food but I seriously doubt that you changed the quality of it. It's just making it harder for people who try to help the animals that have no homes, feeding them is becoming too costly. Are they going to starve out on the street. Very sad!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I volunteer at a cat only rescue. Since we opened our doors in 2006, we have been feeding Friskies to all of the cats every evening as a snack to administer Lysine without any issues. Over the past 3 weeks we have noticed an increase in soft and loose stools, and in the past week, a large number of our cats (15-20) have had episodes on vomiting and loose, watery diarrhea. One of the cats had bloody diarrhea and vomiting and was ultimately diagnosed with an upper GI bleed. Once we stopped feeding Friskies, the vomiting has decreased to only one or two episodes per day in each of our cat rooms (compared to the 10-20 episodes per room 10 days ago). This situation has been extremely upsetting both to the staff and the cats as we have tried to work through this and ensure the welfare of all of our cats and kittens.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

You are not putting enough gravy/sauce in the pate food anymore. It's extremely dry and my cats no longer like it. I'm also paying a lot more now for new packaging but poorer quality food that my cats will no longer eat. I will switch to another brand.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Our cat has always eaten Friskies canned food but, for a few months now, this being January 2019, he eats it and within 5 minutes is throwing up. He eats dry fine. He's never had this problem. It breaks my heart to hear him cry for his canned food but I'm afraid to give it to him. He has been Vet checked and is healthy. What did they change in their food that so many cats are getting sick?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have 6 rescue cats and have been feeding them Friskies shreds up til this label change recently. We usually go with chicken shreds and this month also bought the bits. The 2 that loved it are the sickest. One (Samwise) isn't eating anything, now, and was previously vomiting. The other one lives up to his name, Pippin, and has elevenses on everything, but within last night started vomiting like Linda Blair on Exorcist. We are watching Samwise to see if we need to take him to the vet and switched to our backup brand of 9Lives.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

It is 1/22/19, and it broke our hearts to write this Friskies review. We are a multi-cat family, and all our cats are rescued cats. One of our cats who we rescued three years ago from an abused community had always eaten Friskies only, because it was the only food he could get from that community before, especially Friskies pate. From October 2018, we noticed that he started to eat less and less when Friskies first changed their label look. Then he and other cats started to have diarrhea and vomiting problems. One cat by one cat who ate Friskies had these symptoms on and off. But since he only ate Friskies, he was affect the most and started to lose weight and appetite. He still told us he wanted food, but he ate very little of the Friskies cans we gave him. In November, we noticed though the symptoms were less obvious, his weight loss was too much and too rapid. This was the time we noticed Friskies secondly changed their label look.

We brought the cat to vet early December, and he was diagnosed with Lymphoma cancer and he passed away 1 week after the diagnosis. We understand cancers coexist with people and animals, but something must have triggered the cancer cells to become active. We do not have direct evidence but we strongly believe Friskies cat food’s new taste/ingredients/formula was one of the main factors that triggered the cancer. Since new Friskies cans cause vomiting, diarrhea and decreasing appetite, these effects will bring down the immune system very easily. When immune system is weak, stronger cats can still handle and recover from illness, but some cats can’t. Unfortunately, one of our cats could not make it. His cancer cells were activated when immune system was weak. Our other cats refused to eat Friskies completely after the label look changed the 2nd time.

Actually he was totally healthy when we brought him to vet for annual checkup in the end of Sep. 2018 so we were so shocked and deeply sad and, and it was hardly for us to accept his suddenly departure. After we talked to several doctors and did some research, since Friskies was the only food the cat would eat, it should be the main and direct reason that activated the cancer cells, then caused his death. We later returned all the Friskies cans we bought (we bought a lot during Thanksgiving holiday) to the pet store since we didn’t even want to donate them to the rescue groups or shelters. We think the new formulas do have something that damages cat’s health and appetite. Pls be aware of the new Friskies cat food; do not take any risk.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I'm so grateful I came across these reviews. I have been feeding my cat Friskies can food for about a year and never had any issues until a few weeks ago. I noticed he started having loose stool and has progressed to diarrhea and pooping outside the litter box. I stopped Friskies for about 2 days and he immediately started going back to the litter box. I put him back on it thinking it was just a temporary thing but the diarrhea and not using the litter box started again. I noticed he experiences these symptoms about 2-3 hours after eating the pate or meaty bits. I will for sure stopped feeding this food and switch to a better brand.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Around mid Dec 2018 our youngest cat would try to buried the cat food bowl every time we put out the wet food. About a week later we noticed the older cat would walk away from some flavors of her wet food as well. At first I thought it was maybe a bad lot of food, so I bought a new lot from the store. The younger cat won't touch it and the older cat will attempt 1 or 2 bites then walk away.

FYI: we feed the wet in morning and they have a bowl of Blue Wilderness kibble for the rest of the day. I now think Friskies either changed their ingredients or are allowing more animal waste or dead animals (like road kill but died of something while in the stock yard holding pens) into their food. We have stopped using Friskies wet and have search the Mercola website for a better wet cat food.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My poor Darthy who is black short haired cat, is recently have fart poop problems, leaving stains on sheets and when farts some poop comes out. Family is disgusted. Never had problem with food till now. I buy all the variety you offer and now he's suffering??? Disappointed. I will no longer buy Friskies.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

You are not putting enough gravy in the can cat food, pate. Very dry. This is getting to be a huge problem. Cats hate it! When it comes to the shreds, there's gravy, but they hate the shreds. This is extremely annoying.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Friskies cat food for years. Recently, my cats are refusing to eat the food. I have one "dainty" eater and one that will eat just about anything. Both cats are refusing the food, all wet/canned varieties. My voracious eater has been vomiting and has very loose stool and very vocal. I will be changing the food and on to the vet if his health does not improve. Something is definitely wrong with the food or at least different. I have been noticing a difference in my cats' eating habits with Friskies in the past 2 weeks or so. Please avoid this food for your cat's sake.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We manage a 20-cat feral cat colony. I've used Friskies wet (pate Poultry Platter and Supreme Supper) successfully for 10 years. However, in the past couple months, the cats have stopped eating more than 50% of any feeding. (No change in the number of cats.) Sometimes they ignore it completely, even when they're clearly hungry. Some scratch dirt on it before walking away without taking a bite. We have never had problems with vomiting, but have had numerous instances on our driveway & porch in the last month. Also, cats have always left our property during the daytime, but during this same time period many have been lethargic. They lie for most of the day in their beds or under the bushes.

I don't know if this is related, but I opened a can last week that was full of black mold inside. I understand one bad can after 10 years shouldn't mean the end of a good vendor/customer relationship. But even though the other cans in that carton appeared ok, none of the cats ate more than a couple bites. Why? When I went to write this review to alert you to a potential problem, I was astounded to see review after review with exactly the same concern, some with cat symptoms even worse than we've observed here. If you want more people to contact about this same problem, please let me know. We're very worried. Thank you for looking into this.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have 3 cats. They have been eating Friskies canned pate for over a year. I would give pate to them in the morning. So every morning they would be waking me up because they wanted that pate, they gobbled it up. Well in the past couple months they've been eating less and less of this food. I've been throwing at least half of it away. Well recently my one cat has had a bit of bloody, mucus stool, my other cat, who we rescued 4 months ago has been having seizures, and our other cat has been past few days, not eating, not drinking as much, sometimes hiding, lethargic, no energy, and he has lost weight in the past few months. All 3 of my cats now have medical problems. I wish it had not taken this long to figure out that it's all connected to the canned food, I truly believe that now, after coming across these reviews...which I am so grateful that I did... All these cats having medical problems, and all eating this same food.

For sure this company needs to be investigated, and I hope all of you will fight for your fur babies against this company so that other cats do not suffer like all of ours have. This company has got to be stopped from making this "TOXIC" food. I am so very disgusted, and disappointed finding all this out, that all these cats have suffered because of this product. This company surely knows exactly what consequences are for cats who eat this food, and do they care???? Obviously Not. LET'S ALL PUT A STOP TO THIS NOW. Thank you all for writing a review. You have helped to save my cats and others from continued suffering.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have 5 indoor cats, all in which have been eating Friskies Pate Wet Food for years. About 6 months ago, 1 of my cats stopped eating the wet food completely, would just turn his nose up at it and try to cover it as if it were something in the litter box. I didn't understand what was going on. Now, all my cats are refusing to eat the wet food. They will pick at it and lick the juice, or simply walk away, but will not finish what's in their bowl. Also, they have been having mushy stools and vomiting more so than they ever had (not hair balls).

I have 3 big Maine Coon cats, 2 domestic short hair cats, all in which have a great appetites and love wet food. I had to switch to a different brand this weekend in fear that my cats will become very ill. I have called Friskies/Purina several times about this and they deny any changes have been made AND when I asked if there have been any other complaints, they have told me "NO", and that this is the first they have heard about it. Lies, lies, and more lies! Don't trust this brand or this company. Please do yourself and your beloved cats a favor and switch to something like Hill's Science Diet or Iams, or something more nutritious. You could be jeopardizing their life by continuing to feed them this garbage!

After reading different reviews online, I actually examined 3 different cans of wet food in picking things out of the cans that were actually dark pieces of PLASTIC!!! Yes, PLASTIC! I posted this on Facebook in hopes of helping other people. I also found many bone fragments. NOT GOOD! Thanks to those who have shared their experiences, I knew I wasn't the only one. Please pay attention to your pets when they reject food, they are very smart and their senses are more acute than humans. They are trying to tell you something that you are unaware of!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I just recently bought a new bag of Friskies dry food and everything has gone downhill since then. I have a 2 year old cat and had a 3 month old kitten eating the same food. About two weeks ago my kitten started having diarrhea, vomiting and was extremely lethargic. I brought her to the vet and they put her on antibiotics thinking it was a parasite. We brought her home later that day and she was back to normal. Fast forward one week and the symptoms started again but worse. She wouldn't move and couldn't meow and was in critical condition. We rushed her to an emergency vet clinic and she had a seizure on the examining table and died. We were very upset about this due to having no answers as to what caused all of this and being out $400 (also she was a bottle fed kitten so we were very attached).

Fast forward to yesterday and our 2 year old cat started having the same symptoms. Extremely lethargic, throwing up, and having diarrhea. This cat has never had ANY sickness and they are both inside cats, we don't have inside plants, cleaning products or anything they can get a hold of. I dropped her at the vet this morning and they checked all of her blood work and it all came back normal but she is still very dehydrated and lethargic.

The estimate cost so far for this vet visit is going to be another $400. Very upset about this and after reading through reviews of others going through similar events like this I truly believe it is the food. The food is going straight in the trash. Please stay away from this food if you love your animals. I have added photos below of my Cats. These are of my small kitten that died when she was normal then when she was sick and the other one is a normal picture of my 2 year old cat and the other is what I came home to her looking like.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was a little worried when the company changed the label that there may be other changes as well. My cat was sick for the last two days, vomiting and then refusing to eat it. Literally running away from it. I tossed it and bought another brand. He’s fine. I can’t find the receipt or I would take the other cans back, but maybe I’m saving another cat by throwing them away.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We’ve fed our indoor cats Friskies wet cat food for many years. A couple of months ago, our cat got really sick. Took him to the vets for $600 in testing and meds. Changed foods and he recovered. We put him back on Friskies a couple of weeks ago and now he’s really sick again. Never feeding this food to any animal again. All his blood work come back good. The vets were quite stumped as to what the cause was. Now we know.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Friskies Tasty Treasures/Friskies Classic Pate /Friskies Indoor has gone DOWNHILL. My 16 yr old cats (2) have eaten Friskies for their whole life and now they won't touch it. I know my cats. I pay attention to them. Something has changed with the canned cat food Friskies. At first I thought it was Chewy selling expired or low end food for a profit. I bought the same food at store and same result. My cats won't touch it. They lick the sauce and then leave the majority of the food on the plate. I am so frustrated over this because cats get very skinny and fragile when they are old and this bad food has been going on for few months now and I don't think it's going to IMPROVE. It's all about MONEY for the company. I'm sure they are downgrading the quality.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I've fed my cat Friskies canned food for a long time, but over the past month or two, my cat has begun refusing to eat the Friskies canned foods - nearly every flavor. It just sits in her bowl and she won't touch it. Curious, I decided to purchase a couple of other brands of moist food to see if she would eat. This worked like a charm. Not only did she eat, but she licked the bowl clean and wanted more. Friskies, what have you changed? Whatever it is, it's not working. Clearly there are many consumers noticing the same issue since there are numerous recent reviews/complaints about this same problem. I hope you're listening, Friskies company, and will do something to correct the problem. My cat's nose knows what's good for her; therefore, I'll be purchasing my canned food from your competitors.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had a few of the old cases of Friskies pate (48 cans each) but just ran out. This was the only cat food my cats have ever known. Costco switched to Friskies in the bright GREEN boxes and the cans each have a stripe on them. No idea why the company decided to switch boxes. When I started "trying" to feed them the food from the new packages, at first I thought they were not very hungry. But this is TWO cats. My cat is not ashamed to indicate, by a scraping motion next to the dish, that the food needs to be buried in their litter boxes. My garbage disposal is getting clogged with what amounts to full cans of Friskies. I've seen dried vomit on the garage floor and cleaning out the litter boxes indicates that at least one of them has the runs. The only thing that changes was the packaging and labels on the pate. Tell me a fantasy that NOTHING has changed with the product in the past couple of months.

If you are used to giving your pets Friskies pate (especially the ones with 48 cans you get at Costco) I'd suggest going to the store and getting some cans with the OLD labels (no stripe) and start weaning your cats onto something else (any ideas on something reasonably priced?). Also, they haven't been eating the Friskies Party Mix either. So, I have alternatives to that. My personal opinion is that the food is NOT being thoroughly tested on cats, but I obviously don't know that for a fact. All I know is that the days of buying Friskies at Costco are over for me. The stuff seems dry but tightly packed and difficult to even spoon out of the can. Before you go spend a lot of money at the vets, please consider changing your pets' food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My 2 cats have been eating Friskies Pate Seafood for years. At night they get 1/2 a can each mixed with warm water... They have always loved this evening meal. In the past month or two I noticed they would leave most of it in their bowls and it was dried out by morning. One of my cats has been vomiting, my other cat started having horrible diarrhea. Her stools were solid after eating her Iams dry food during the day, but I didn’t put it together until after a $300 trip to the vet that showed her blood work to be perfect. Her weight was down from 17 lbs (yes she was overweight) to 10.8! She was prescribed meds that didn’t help. So I started giving them Iams day and night. Vomit gone. Diarrhea gone. I won’t ever feed it to them again. Something is wrong Friskies, figure it out!!

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information