2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Friskies Reviews

Original review: June 23, 2020

Batch 1157. Our previously healthy indoor kittens who ate the ocean whitefish flavor were gradually introduced to the chicken and salmon shreds. One immediately began vomiting, and both are experiencing diarrhea and weight loss. The vet found bacteria in the previously healthy kitten and treated him, but the diarrhea continues. We are switching brands and hope it fixes the issue. I'll update with a new review in a few days. Normally I would introduce a new food gradually, but I'm not going to this time which could cause more problems but frankly I'm too afraid to keep feeding them this food.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have been feeding Friskies Shreds for 2 years now. I have been feeding the TurChicken for 11 months. We had no problems, cats loved it!! We have 4 house cats at home, 4 barn cats at 1 barn and 2 barn cats in another barn. NO ONE IS EATING it anymore. They might sniff it, lick it, or have a few bites, but otherwise, I’m throwing away a lot of uneaten food.

I called Friskies / Purina to tell them. They asked lots of questions and proposed a few reasons (eg; how the warehouse stores the food, my 10 cats being picky, etc). They took ZERO responsibility and simply offered to send me 3 coupons that Amazon won’t accept. And what’s the difference, bc the cats won’t eat it anyway!! So frustrated. I feel that Friskies doesn’t care at all. Switching brands TODAY!!!

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2020

We have been feeding our cat Friskies off and on for the last 2 years. A couple days ago we brought home a box of Stuf’d and Sauc’d wet food and it immediately made our cat vomit all over the place. We dismissed it at first, but by his 3rd meal it was obvious. I will be taking him to the vet ASAP to make sure there isn’t any major damage. Please let me know if anyone pulls together a lawsuit for this. A company that ignores repeated complaints to avoid a recall will not be getting my business any more. Purina is poison.

Original review: June 2, 2020

My cat was fine until eating this batch of variety pate Friskies cat food mixed grill, ocean whitefish and tuna, turkey. My cat was throwing up yellow and white bile for 4 days and was no longer eating or drinking.. She was turned off by that food. We could tell and only eating 1/2 of what she normally would. I wish we would of followed the signs she showed and she was also lethargic..My dog ate some of the cat food as well and now he is sick also and headed to vet. We bought this food at Costco Oxnard CA early May. Friskies needs to stop selling this poison and costco needs to be alerted!! I'm sending this to friskies directly as well and costco!!!

Original review: May 18, 2020

We fed our cat Friskie's Pate for most of his life. He's now 14 years old. We said goodbye to Friskie's for good in February 2020. Cat's life has never been better. Last year we found out he had arthritis and his kidneys were starting to show signs of decline through blood tests. He also had lifelong anxiety issues as well as on and off vomiting and asthma.

In late January we really thought he was approaching his last days. He had lost controls of his bowels, slept ~20 hours a day, and his arthritis was crippling. You could tell he was in pain all the time. He was cranky and he smelled awful. Like his insides were rotting. It was awful. We decided we'd try raw food to get a handle on his diarrhea. He's been on Darwin's cat food for a few months now and literally everything is better. He's a brand new cat. His coat is soft and fluffy, he has energy and plays with the kittens, he looks alert and the smell went away. I have no idea what is in Frisie's but it has been made extremely clear to us that the awful food they make had slowly been poisoning him. We're never looking back and enjoying his second life thanks to raw food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: May 6, 2020

The cats were eating Friskies beef for several years but I started this year to give various flavors. It was ok at first, but then they would start refusing certain flavors. They really loved Mariner's Catch for a few cans, so I bought a lot. Then they stopped eating it (both cats). And now, it's love or hate with all flavors. Is this a gimmick to sell more cans? Batches 1159, and then 1157.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have been feeding my cat Friskies canned cat food for 5 years, but recently purchased 40 can box on Amazon, specifically pate fish and chicken. Within hours of feeding my cat Friskies pate 5.5 oz can Mariners Catch, she began vomiting 3 times hourly for 12 hours. 2 visits to emergency vet and $700 later determined that the food was contaminated as there was no other reasons for her sudden illness. There is something very with this batch of food, and I will never feed my cat Friskies cat food again.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I bought a large case of Poultry Flavored Friskies pate food for my cats last week and noticed right away that something was different with this batch. I thought it was the new flavor that was possibly causing the vomiting and lethargy in my cats. But now after reading these reviews, I'm afraid the problem is with all Friskies cat food in general-and that it has made my cats sick. I have one that has been in the hospital since yesterday! I will not buy this brand again!!

Original review: April 23, 2020

My cats have eaten Friskies as part of their overall diet for years. It’s been their breakfast, something they’ve come running for - until the last few months. Whatever Purina has done to the recipe, they need to undo; although my cats used to love the flavors with cheese, they won’t touch the newer, “fancier” Friskies, even the more expensive “stuffed” recipes. My vet said her cats have had the same reaction. Apparently a lot of pet owners are seeing their cats reject the new Friskies. Purina, you made a bad business decision. You might want to rethink this one.

Original review: April 12, 2020

This stuff is really bad. I bought it at Costco (March 2020). Their previous stuff at Costco was pretty good. But this batch gave my cat diarrhea for a week. It’s a shame crap like this can be sold. The company must of laid off the Quality Control staff, or maybe some disgruntled employee took a dump in one of their batches, or, heaven forbid, Friskies is using roadkill or rotten, diseased meat for their protein sources. In any event, I’ve lost all confidence in them. Their main concern may be profits, but my main concern is my cat’s wellbeing.

Friskies author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information