1.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

65 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

We have used 4 cases of Friskies Turkey and Giblet Pate' every two weeks for years. Last week, after consuming most of a new case, my 7 cats became nauseous and lethargic, and projectile-vomited bile and blood, and refused to eat the Friskies, which was weird, as that had been their preferred food. They were becoming dehydrated. My three dogs also became lethargic and lost their appetites. I was afraid we had been poisoned. After reading the complaints already posted, I got some Hill Prescription Diet from my vet, and quit letting the dogs eat Friskies scraps, and within hours, the cats began to perk up, and the dogs are finally hungry today. My vet advised me to post on here, and to contact Chewy, the Friskies manufacturer, and the government, so here we go. Thank you to previous posters who warned about this, and I sincerely hope all is well at your house now.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have 2 grown cats, a feral cat and 4 baby kittens. I was feeding them an expensive brand of wet food, but they were eating so much with the addition of the kittens that I elected to slowly blend them on to the Friskies Pate & Chicken Lovers foods. All of my cats now have watery diarrhea. The kittens are severely dehydrated and my poor male cat just got neutered and was already not feeling well and now he is SUPER SICK! I am LIVID! A quick google search brought up TONS of other Cat Parents with the same complaints about this food. How is this stuff still on store shelves? My vet bills for re-hydrating these animals is going to be outrageous and my post-surgery cat will be lucky to survive this! I AM FUMING and HEARTBROKEN! Pull this crap from the store shelves NOW!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 9, 2018

We’ve been using Friskies canned cat food (shredded and pate) for decades. Suddenly all of my cats are severely sick - throwing up, and having severe diarrhea. We feed them the same canned food as always, nothing changed in their diet. Since my dogs lick out the cans, they also started to have the same exact symptoms. I have no idea what is going on, but in all the decades being a pet owner, I never experienced any outbreak like this. I am seriously suspicious that the cause of all these problems is the Friskies canned food I fed my pets with.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This year my 8 cats all got sick both times that I bought batches of canned wet food. The kind we always use. Chewy has given me credit for that case of food and the other first case I used up not realizing it was contributing to the massive amounts of diarrhea and puking and general malaise I saw in the cats that were getting it. Upon much Googling yesterday I found there has been a ** ton of very concerning complaints about Purina's Friskies wet food past few months. Here's a link I found from 2015. Really makes you think. http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-warning-to-purina-pet-food-plant/

Most of the reviews the cats were refusing the food or there was visible mold or foul odor on the product and in other cases like mine the cats ate it and there were no visible issues or smells but they got sick. I noticed a lot of the people recording these problems were also multi-cat household which in my opinion makes the evidence more credible.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have used Friskies for awhile. I have now encountered two issues with two different cats after feeding them Pate. Both threw up a large amount of blood mixed with food that appeared like a murder scene. One of my cats literally continued to have drops of blood dripping from his mouth, after two days of not eating on its own I had to force feed him and same with water to keep him hydrated. I used Gerber Chicken Baby food and another major brand of wet food.

In three days fully recovered slowly starting to eat and drink of its own. Of course I don't recommend waiting but using your own judgment since my cat slowly recovered and then fully recovered. I thought it was a good sign and something with the food must have caused irritation of the bowel or internal organs. The other cat seems to have recovered immediately. This happened last night and will continue to monitor my second cat. I usually get the shredded or flavored sauce wet food and have never had problems. In the past I mix pate with water and had no issues. The issues I encountered when feeding PATE undissolved with water, so not really sure if the texture of the pate is too thick for their organs or harmful for cats. I will continue to use Friskies Wet Food But NO to the Pate. I would appreciate if this corrected by Friskies to avoid other cats and owners encountering such a scare. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have had cats for the last 25 years and never had any kind of experience like this before. We have only fed our seven cats (and numerous others before) Friskies Wet can food twice a day. They would always run for it and try to eat each other's due to loving wet can food so much. About a month ago we purchased a new case of the variety pate wet cat food, as this was their favorite. The kittens still would try to eat it, but the rest would run away. Some trying to bury it, like cats do.

Then they all started getting sick. Vomiting something that looked more like feces than vomit. My youngest kitten was so lethargic we took him to the vets. They couldnt find anything wrong. But gave medication in hopes of fixing whatever it was. Then his nose started to split and get raw... We thought it was an injury but then TWO OTHERS got the same thing, one with a sore on its tongue also and constantly drooling. It's taken 3 weeks for them to start acting like themselves again. They have lost massive amounts of weight, and seem almost fearful of pate type of food now. With all these other complaints, this has to be what happened to my cats. Nothing else changed, besides a new case of food. Makes me fearful of what could internally be happening to these cats!!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have used Friskies canned cat food for many years, both pate and that with gravy. I opened a can of Friskies Shreds Whitefish and Sardines that came in a Fish-a-licious 32 can variety pack yesterday and fed my 4 cats aged 5 mos to 12 yrs. I split one can between them in the mornings. Not a one of them ate the meaty portion just the gravy. And every one of them vomited yesterday, all day. Today the two youngest (That I know of, I've been gone the day) are still vomiting. From the reviews of Friskies canned foods, I made the decision to stop buying Friskies altogether. My cats are on Taste of the Wild dry and today I drove 35 mi. to Tractor Supply to get them some TOTW canned and some 4 Health canned which is Tractor Supply brand. I will never feed my cats Friskies ever again. They are INDOOR cats and have not gotten into anything outside. I control their food.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have been a cat owner for 30 years. I have fed them Friskies all these years. I have 7 indoor cats now and 1 outside cat. My cats will NOT eat the canned food anymore. Their stools are runny with some blood or dry as rocks! The outside cat will NOT eat it at all. At one time, years ago, I had 15 house cats. NO problems at all with food. Now, as others have stated, they just lick the gravy. I have found dark pieces of whatever is getting into the canning process. I kept some of these pieces. When they dry out they are hard and brown.

I have at least 66 cans of food that I have bought in different flavors trying to find just 1 they will eat. NO LUCK. I don't know what is going on, a change in canning location, bad dirty machinery? I am going on a search online to see what others have found to feed their cats. 66 cans in the trash today. It is over with Friskies. I have spent thousands of dollars buying this food over the 30 years of rescuing cats. It pains me to be in such a position that I have to now go "hunting" for a good safe food. Why doesn't Friskies own up to this problem? $$$, that's why, no concern for our pets. SHAME on them!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I'm amazed at how many people are experiencing the same problem I'm having with cats. I have been buying Friskies Pate for years. My cats have refused to eat it on several occasions but in the last couple of months they absolutely won't touch it. I buy 4 - 48 count boxes every 5 days for my own indoor, fosters and outside neighborhood cats. I have also gotten many dented cans in the middle of the box and popped lids with no damage on the outside. And one box was crawling with hundreds of baby roaches and eggs. It was disgusting! At times the food does look like its bad and shriveled around the edges. Some of my cats have thrown up the food and one has been losing weight.

I had to start buying the more expensive organic food just until I figure out what to try next. I can't afford to buy that food for too long. I also just switched from Meow Mix to Kirkland's dry cat food due to most of the cats who ate it were throwing it up all over. Kirkland was highly recommended by many rescue people in my networking groups. So far they're eating it and not getting sick. I'm going to look into a Tractor Supply and recipes to cook my own. I already cook for my dogs but the cats don't like it. I don't know what Purina is doing to the food, but you can bet I'll be telling my friends about this serious problem.

Original review: March 14, 2018

After feeding my two cats Purina Friskies canned cat food, my two dogs ate what was left in the cats' bowls and shortly after all four of my pets became severely sick! What started off as diarrhea quickly progressed into vomiting and nonstop bloody diarrhea. Our senior dog, Winter, became the most severe and we almost lost her. Thankfully we live close to the vet's office and they were able to stabilize her and get her hydrated since she had lost so much fluid. Our kitten, Sugar, also required hospitalization to get fluids as well. Our other two pets were thankfully able to recover more quickly with medication provided by our vet.

After a few days of care they are mending slowly but we have a now $600 vet bill for their hospitalization and all the testing. I made a post on Facebook and several people have reached out to me confirming that their pets are also sick or having similar symptoms after eating this food! Purina made a comment on my post stating that a supervisor would call me to discuss the matter but they have not done so and it's been a few days now. I believe this food to be contaminated and do not recommend that pet owners allow their pets to eat it until it can be proven that it is safe.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Friskies Pate Poultry Favorites. Bought 32 can pkg home and just made the connection that around the same time opening it, my 17 yo cat has had nothing but bowel movements the consistency of a milkshake!

Original review: March 14, 2018

My cats have been eating the Friskies pate for over a year. I just bought a new box of the variety pack and one of my cats was vomiting severely yesterday. There was blood in her bile and I took her to the vet. They put her on a ton of meds and she is doing better. Now my second cat is vomiting with blood in her bile and I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow. The only change in their environment is a new box of food and after reading all the complaints I believe that is what has caused them harm.

Original review: March 11, 2018

My cat was eating Friskies Pate wet food and is now actively ill. I bought a case of this food in Jan '18. Realized it was the food when my dog who always eats her food became violently ill. Don't buy this product!

Original review: March 8, 2018

After reading on these reviews now I know it's been the Friskies wet cat food. I always gave especially my black cat Friskies with cheese and bacon concoctions she loves all the time and gave her the beef gravy and just five weeks ago she started throwing up in the early mornings every day for 4 days. Then she quit eating and drinking and she was very lethargic. Could not move and in pain so I took her to the vet. They did take blood, urine and stools and the next day nothing they could find except a lot of protein in her urine. Plus she had a high fever so they gave her a shot that was a bag of water in her so she would not get dehydrated. She did start eating a little with Fancy Feast food. A little bit of water and did not have a bowel movement for 1 week and then she started getting better again and now I only feed her Fancy Feast.

Now my second boy cat is sick just like her do so I thought at first it wasn't the Friskies until he had some Friskies and now he can't move and he threw up but he is drinking water. I will take him in tomorrow with his appt. I hope they find out what is going on with my cats. My cats are very cats and have all their shots and mostly inside cats. My cat bills are going to be very high and I do not have pet insurance... I'm very upset and I was wondering why the cat concoctions with cod and cheese and bacon was not on the shelves anymore. Is this because other cats had gotten very sick too...

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was alerted to a problem with the pate food of all types we feed to outside cats. Normally I would not be checking food for anything before putting in bowl... however when I did I found multiple black plastic fragments in various types of pate food. This has been reported to Purina, Chewy's (where I purchased) and my vet. Purina has been notified but no real response from them. They wanted the fragment but I had thrown it out. Now however I have a collection of these fragments from multiple cans and I am actively searching for a safer food. Purina needs to get its act together. I lost three cats last year and now I don't know if the food contributed. I also used Fancy Feast and Elegant Medley types... not anymore.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I had fed Friskies canned food to my cats for many years, but had to stop buying it a few months ago. Last summer (June-July 2017), two of my cats began refusing to eat their Friskies canned food, no matter which flavor I served them. They even ran away from the food, even though they were hungry. My other cat, however, still enjoyed Friskies canned food, but I had to stop serving it to him as well, because he vomited twice in one week after eating the seafood flavors (he had never vomited before).

The second time he vomited, his neck got swollen and he became lethargic. The vet recommended that I change his food. Since then, I have been feeding all my cats a better quality cat food, or boiling chicken for them, and they have been eating all their food, every time, and nobody has vomited at all. I used to think it was normal for cats to act "finicky" and refuse food occasionally, or to vomit every few days, but I now realize that if you serve them good food, they will accept the food and not vomit.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Have been feeding Friskies canned food to my cats for many years. They love certain flavors on certain days, hate it other days... they are CATS. That is normal cat behavior. Have seen no problems with my recent purchases of Friskies... with 4 cats, I get it frequently. One reviewer talked of bad food in a dented, opened can... That would be true of any food, for cats or humans. Will keep my eyes open, but as a veterinarian at a Feline Only practice... I have seen no problems with Friskies canned cat food. Purina is a very reputable company that has been in the business for many years. THEY HAVE SPENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON RESEARCH (PET FRIENDLY) AND HAVE VERY LOYAL SUPPLIERS. I have much respect for Purina, but, as said, will keep my eyes open.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We've fed our cats Friskies canned food for years. In the last couple of months, they no longer will eat any flavor and occasionally vomit what they do eat. Our older cat seems to be constipated and now hates the Friskies food. A friend in a different city said she is experiencing the same thing with her cats, who now only lick the gravy and have vomiting fits when they do eat it. Looking online, there are many reports of the same thing happening; in some instances, the cats have become very ill with contaminants or parasites after eating the Friskies brand! We will abandon the use of Friskies, as it may actually harm our cats! Purina has to know this is happening, as the adverse reports are overwhelming in volume. I intend to write them about this problem, but I doubt they'd admit to any issues due to potential liability; if you use Friskies, I'd advise finding another brand to avoid harming your pet!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Friskies has some explaining to do. My cats are clearly avoiding this food. They've been eating Friskies for a long time and suddenly in January they both started throwing up and they're completely uninterested in eating it now. My cat Magnus goes CRAZY for wet food normally and even he won't eat it. What is the deal?? Should I be concerned? These are my babies and I'm going to be very unhappy if I hear they've been ingesting anything dangerous.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have been feeding my fur baby Purina Friskies since she was able to start weening from her mother. She has been eating the wet cat food for a year now. On February 24, 2018 I purchased her usual 12 can pack. She tasted it and that was it. She absolutely refuses to eat it! Normally she'd lick the bowl clean! She always excited for breakfast and dinner! Not now! She has been feeling under the weather a little since the first tasting on February 24, 2018. My fur baby is in perfect health! I do not like this, I don't like how she feels now as if she's sort of sickly.

After putting her food in her bowl I didn't giver treats or anything thinking maybe she was snacking too much. That was not the problem. The problem is the food. I smelled it and it certainly smells different from the normal smell. Even my mother's cat stuck her nose up at it. So I tried dog because God knows he'll eat anything and to my amazement he also turned his nose up at it too! My cat hates dry food but wow she was happy to eat it tonight! I would really like to know what's going on. My cat has a small surgery March 1 to be fixed and if she's not better I surely will have test ran to see if somethings wrong from the wet cat food! I'm very disappointed and so is my fur baby!

Updated on [02/28/2018]: I wrote a review earlier. After the review I contacted customer service. I gave the date I bought the 12pk of meaty bites, the number on the barcode and dates. He asked me for the store and address of where I purchased. I gave all required information. He informed me I had a bad batch. I asked if it would make my cat sick since she's not her usual self. He responded no. I then asked what's a bad batch. He explained there's a sanitation process on the conveyor belts and that it had not went through the process, that other foods may have gotten mixed in.

He proceeded to tell me he's sending out a coupon to replace the 12pk of Purina Friskies food. I asked if my call and information would be kept on file because my cat is being fixed March 1st 2018 that if she was still feeling bad she wouldn't be able to have her surgery. I informed him I would have them check her for any related illness that is related to the bad food. They can send all the coupons they want. I refuse to feed my fur baby this again! Why on earth would I give her something when I was informed I had a bad batch and it was shipped out and put on the store shelf anyway. Absolutely not!!! I suggest calling them and filing your compliant with the actual company too! Purina customer service number 1-800-778-8864.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I regularly fed my cat the Friskies pate for almost 2 years, all kinds, since she likes variety. But last November I found the contents were moldy, and no the cans were not dented and the expiration date was always 2019. The one photographed here is only one I discovered of many. Upon alerting Friskies I was refunded the piddly $13 I paid, but it doesn't cover the vet costs when she got ill before I found out it was the food that caused the illness. Not every can was riddled with mold so obviously. Other ones had tinges you might miss if you aren't looking closely.

After finding this out I started inspecting the others and every can had little bits, or lot of, mold. So disgusting. It's been months since then, they didn't recall it, and they should have because I know I'm not the only one who found this mold. Instead they gave me coupons which I promptly threw away. I'm thankful my cat became her healthy self again quickly after switching her food to a different, non-Purina brand. But some cats may not be so lucky. Friskies should have to pay for the vet bills and recall their nasty food. Our animals deserve better!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I've been feeding my cats Friskies Paté canned food for years, but with the last batch I bought 1 week ago, they will not eat any of the flavors. One cat avoided eating the entire day, but still acted hungry. He would not take the food. Later that night a huge pile of puke was on the floor (it actually resembled a runny poop)... But it was as if he barfed up a few days of cat food. (FRISKIES has changed something). Because now all 3 of my cats will not eat the food. I went to the vet and got them a prescribed food (CD-DIET). They eagerly eat that and I put a tablespoon of the Friskies food in the center. They ate around the Friskies food. My big cat, who normally is a hog... Even avoided it... Now. I hope I'm not going to have to take all 3 cats to the vet and there isn't some type of poison in the food. Friskies better fess up on what they changed. Because this is not normal for 3 cats all at the same time to stop eating what they would normally like to consume.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have feed my cat household Friskies canned food, all different flavors for 20 years. The last case I bought, cats don’t seem to like it, the texture is different, the edges of food in the can are dark brown, and look dried up, 3 of my cats have been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis, it is not a contagious condition. One died. She was much older. The other two have also been diagnosed with tritrichomonas foetus, a serious Protozoa, causing severe bloody diarrhea, and vomiting. They contracted immediately after eating from Friskies canned food, 2 cans. The vet suspected toxoplasmosis from the food also. Very scary. The food is not the same as it used to be and I will no longer be buying it. What is going on with this food?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I'm not sure what has changed in Friskies ingredients, but my cat refuses to eat it now. I also feed many outdoor cats and they're all reluctant to eat it as well. What's up with that? I've been buying Friskies for years and this is a new problem.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have been feeding Friskies to multiple cats for years, but lately have found problems with the new label cans. The cats are leaving them uneaten! What are they picking up on? I am guessing the addition of unhealthy ingredients. Hopefully Friskies will pay attention to the onslaught of complaints and backtrack to a healthier product.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My cat is 17 and I have always fed her Friskies Wet food and I also have noticed a change. She won't eat. I also tried different flavors and she will only lick the gravy and turns her nose up at the rest of it. I am glad that I found others with the same problem. My cat is also getting very skinny and I assumed that it was age as I haven't had the throwing up.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My two cats have been eating Friskies wet cat food for years and have had no issues but my older cat started to lose lots of weight and I had to put him down because of it. Don't know if the cat food could cause this or not. My other cat started to throw up after eating the shreds cat food and I called Purina and they were nice and sent me a refund but would not acknowledge that there is an issue with their cat food. When I open the cat food most of the times I will notice that the food is different colors. Light and dark in the same cans. How long does Friskies keep in the can. Where do they warehouse them. There are a lot of factors that can cause issues. I am on a fixed income so the larger the quantity of the cat food that I purchase the more I save. But I want a happy healthy cat with me and not one that I have to clean up after he eats the cat food.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I decided to look up the reviews, and I see that Friskies is having a huge issue. I've fed my cats (current and past) Friskies before. Never had a problem. Now? It started when my cat vomited, I left it to his medication since it was something new and he had a UTI two weeks prior. Now? Between last night and this morning, my cat has diarrhea like you would not believe. I will NO longer buy this brand of wet cat food because it is not fair to my 3.6 year old cat that he gets sick off of something that he eats.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Not unlike others writing recent reviews about Friskies canned food, I also have had problems within the past 6-7 months with this product. I have 7 personal cats and feed over 30 ferals daily! I noticed my own cats walking away from the can food and thought perhaps they were getting bored and changed some of the flavors. Still didn't help. Even the feral cats were leaving their can food? Now, my 17 year old cat is extremely ill, having lost 25% of his weight in just a few months. I thought it was old age, but the vet doesn't feel it's associated with age at all.

I contacted Friskies to ask if there was a change and they said no. They want me to send them the codes from the cans, but it reading this site, this is not a new issue. I'm furious that the life of my cat may be in jeopardy over something that has been brought to their attention. Not to mention all of my remaining at home cats that have walked away from this food. I'm so disappointed in a brand that I have supported for many years! As pet owners, we need to stay on this to prevent future pets from being endangered. Someone knows what is going on.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Done. My cat grew up on Friskies, but at 15 won’t eat it. She licks the gravy but will not eat the shreds, fillets or bits. My two new babies began by eating it eagerly, now they are six months old and now they will only eat the gravy. The smarter consumers get the more they will realize the dry food as well is not good for living beings. With all the GMO grains in them I fear for their health and longevity.

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information