1.07/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

188 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

We have multiple cats indoor and outdoor and they all love it. Perfect size and variety of flavors. Not too dry, not too moist. The perfect crunch for my cats.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have 3 finicky cats who disagree on even the most expensive (store bought) food but they all love this brand and all of the varieties. It is a fair price and most importantly my cats are healthy.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My cats really love your products so much. I started feeding them with your seafood platter and what I've expected is they love it!. They love the taste and this is very affordable. I highly recommend this product.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I've had numerous trouble with Friskies and Fancy Feast giving it to my cat SPECIFICALLY ON THE LABEL 100% NUTRITION. First problem I had was I put the wet food on a plate 5 years ago. Come back to see 30 minutes later uneaten and fly larvae all over the food protruding out. Chalked it up to a bad can. Next time years later was broken can in a box again. Suspected shipping then found few cans months later. Cans unsealed properly, no dents. Obviously threw them out. Few cans upon opening suspected mold, strange discoloration. 6-8 months from 2-3 days ago she wouldn't eat the food half the time unless it was covered with gravy sauce hiding the actual scent of the CRUDE products. LOW QUALITY yet 100 nutritious.

Next thing I know she was slowly starving. I've tried everything to keep her alive myself. Vets cant help with the severity of these problems. She slowly died withering away so badly by the way that she got nasal infections, eye problems seeing and mucus, staring at walls half there and 1 week to her death her bone were touchable literally through her skin. Still alive. No muscle fiber at all and couldn't walk. Started having seizures. Couldn't hold her head up or close her eyes!

After she died so suddenly I read FDA WARNINGS Friskies numerous time. Mainly people had cans 1157 1159. Rendering plants using euthanize meat in the food, viral bacteria, mold, failure to follow proper canning methods. GUESS WHAT'S TRENDING ON YOUTUBE? People daring other people to eat cat food! If this isn't a human health risk it is now! Even if these cans are stored in a fridge with your HUMAN FOOD BTW MIND YOU is still a human health risk. I DIDN'T KNOW EATING DEATH WAS 100% NUTRITION with no cause for human concern when stored in a fridge for human food after opened. She died so horrible. It's still on shelves. Hopefully with my review the USDA will now be involved 100%. No question, immediately, no need for complaints. Just based on storing cat food in a fridge with human food.

Along with a YouTube trend of daring to eat cat food how many actual people have died now? Or have suffered from food poisoning unwittingly. Needs to immediately stop and HUMAN REGULATORY INSPECTIONS! Contamination spreads in fridges! Numerous people are using Facebook as a complaint site. Humans handle this food when feeding their pets. It's a human risk to the fda.gov. Dont lie nor do the independently owned laboratories. Please remove from shelves and stop distributing these FDA warned tainted products humans handle! It is a human health risk.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I stayed with a horrible ex boyfriend just so I could afford enough quality cat food for my cats. Meanwhile, the late great grumpy cat was fed Friskies by her very greedy owner who made ** from her deal promoting Friskies. Poor grumpy cat died at only 7 years old from a UTI. The crud in Friskies surely ruined her health. Do not feed your cats cheap crud like this. And you have money and are being this cheap, shame on you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been a loyal Purina Friskies user for years and have had very few problems with the brand, until now. I have a 3.5 year old kitty who, very suddenly, got extremely sick over the weekend. She went from being a happy, healthy feline to being bright yellow with liver levels through the roof. After her ultrasound came back clear, I've been looking everywhere to try to figure out WHY my baby has gotten so sick.

Last night I came across this consumer reports page where there are TONS of recent reviews of cats getting sick and/or dying after eating Friskies. Various reviews mention wet food batches # 1157 and 1159. I checked my cabinet this morning and, sure enough, the cans in there are from batch 1159. I have reached out to Purina to put in an official inquiry but also wanted to add my two cents here. Please be careful with this brand and if you have one of the batches listed discard it immediately. Don't take the chance.

Right now I have vet bills piling up and I'm just doing my best to make sure my cat lives, but I honestly don't know what the outcome is going to be yet - as of today, things aren't looking good. I sincerely hope Purina is going to take the necessary steps to get the contaminated food out of stores ASAP. In the meantime, I am changing my cat's food IMMEDIATELY and doing what I can to help my sick kitty get through this.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Both of my cats are ill after eating Friskies Liver & Chicken Dinner Pate, purchased in a 32 can case from Walmart. I came online to see if there were any recalls and found others having issues with cans from batch #1159. One cat is lethargic, the other cat has been vomiting non-stop since feeding last night and had to go to the vet for fluids. They are inside cats and there is nothing else that could have made them sick this fast.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Cat has been throwing up multiple times a day, just got to the point of it being too much and something is definitely wrong. Of course I switched her to Friskies this past 2 weeks! After reading all the other horror stories on here, she will not eat this product EVER again. I will be returning it to Sam's Club and spending more money on better food. My cat is my child and it kills me that I have been poisoning her with this garbage! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have always fed my cats a small treat in the evening of canned food because they primarily eat dry food during the day. About 3 weeks ago I purchased 4 cases of Friskies canned pate chicken and liver and started feeding it to them. Everything was fine for a few days and I noticed that they were eating less during the day and wouldn’t even finish the small amount of canned food I gave them. I had no idea it was the food so I continued to feed it to them. Friskies has always been what we purchase because it is a reasonable price and I have 12 rescued cats to feed.

I have had to take two cats to the vet for diarrhea and vomiting, and I have 4 there’s that are slightly feral that I cannot catch to take and they are all very sick and have lost a lot of weight. I stopped feeding them this food over a week ago and they are all still sick. So total I have 6 sick cats from this food. The other 6 lost interest in eating the food early in and that really should have been my red flag!!!! I am so disappointed that I have read so many reviews about this particular lot number on this canned food and so many kitties have gotten sick! Why doesn’t someone do something about this? They are killing our babies! The lot number on my canned food is 9042-1157 L53931319 - I think the last # is a 9 but I can’t make it out.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My two cats have loved Friskies wet cat food for years and up till last week were eating fine, then abruptly lost their appetites and starting having diarrhea. Both are strictly indoor cats and my entire house is cat proof and safe so I know it's their food. I checked the cans and the lot number were 1159 and 1157 just like other people had complaints with. I have stopped feeding Friskies and cooked them some boiled chicken breast with some plain white rice in the broth water and the diarrhea has stopped so far but they still don't really have an appetite. My boy used to love dinner time and be so excited and now has hardly much interest in food and that is not like him at all.

I am NEVER feeding them Friskies or anything by Purina company again! I will be switching to a healthy brand and reporting this to Friskies and they better be doing something about it because I'm not letting this go. If anything serious is wrong due to their cat food I will consult legal action because my cats are my babies and I put my trust in their cat food to be safe not harm them. If this food is fed to a senior or sickly cat it could kill them. My opinion is PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM FRISKIES!

Original review: May 4, 2019

We are currently fostering 4 kittens and we were given a case of Friskies Mixed Grill to feed them. We mixed the food with formula to wean them to food and one of the kittens spit out a black piece of plastic. I was like wtf?! So I look through the rest and saw a bunch of black specs throughout the food. Then we decided to carefully look through the can and found more black plastic along with hard chunk of metal. Idk what the hell is going on in the processing plant but this is serious! Thank god that kitten spit that piece out. She could have choked or gotten very sick. Needless to say we are not using this poison anymore. However it saddens me to think millions of animals are eating this food and owners not even realize what's in it. Back in 2015 someone else mentioned finding black plastic in the food which is scary to think this has been going on for years! Stay away from this crap!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been feeding my cats this food for nearly 20 years. All of a sudden a couple of month ago, both of them seem to not want it. Both of them were barfing after barely eating any, one was getting diarrhea. They don't want to eat any of the flavors any more. I have been throwing out so much food lately, it's ridiculous! What did you do to the food? I use to divide one can into 2 meals, twice a day for my 2 cats. They won't even eat a 1/2 teaspoon of the stuff now, even the favorite flavors they won't touch. I've had to switch to a different brand because this has become such a waste of money, 3/4 is going into the garbage. Sorry Friskies... but we are no longer a fan of your products. Very disappointing!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have three cats, and for years I have been feeding them the Friskies Dry Cat Food. Their favorite has always been the red bag called 7 Favorites. Suddenly they will not touch it. Not at all. Did you change something? It's sad to see the cats hungry and not eating. Now I am in search of a food they will eat.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Fed cat Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, product #1159. She stood in front of us and lifted her left front foot in a position like she was going to pounce. Her foot was stuck and started to shake. Then her left foot popped up and started to shake. We held and comforted her. This happened about two hours after she ate. She wouldnt eat it or another can different flavored Friskies food type same 1159. She is still lethargic but eating people food.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Two of my three cats need powdered medicine in the mornings, so they have to have some wet food every day. I have been using Friskies canned shreds and pate for 2 weeks after old brand, Whiskas seafood varieties, was discontinued. Everyone barfing, someone has started peeing on the dining room rug, and my boy who poops outside the box d/t constipation is now worse than ever. I'm cleaning up huge messes every day. Stopping this food and trying something else.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I’ve fed my cats (2) Friskies Buffet shreds & gravy meals for 10 years. Then about 2 months ago the 13+ yr old started having major diarrhea, took him to the vet. She tried antibiotics, probiotics, and a few cans of a prescription diet... His diarrhea started to slow, but now that he is back on Friskies it's back. Last week my 10+ year old started mucous vomiting and diarrhea. Tomorrow we are buying different cat food. Something changed with the formula and it's making these precious cats sick.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I switched to an all wet diet for my cats due to them being a little heavier. Switched to the Friskies Pate. All three cats ate it because there wasn’t anything else and I cut out the dry. They have always ate Friskies wet just mixed with dry. Then my one boy got extremely ill. Started vomiting and having skin issues. He was scratching himself raw. Over $600 in vet bills I was at a loss and so was his vet. ** and antihistamines, bloodwork and specialists. It was the food. All three cats have lost significant weight. I was killing my cats by feeding them this crap. I’m sick to my stomach about this. I will never buy cheap food again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We have 2 adult cats and one kitten that eat Friskies wet food daily. The adult cats have been eating Friskies for about 7 years with no problems. About mid February I noticed that all three cats began eating their wet food less and less until I was gradually throwing out more than they were eating. I tried switching flavors around and still ended up with same problem. A few weeks ago the oldest cat who is 14, started vomiting until we had to take her to the vet. After nearly $700 of labs and x-rays they can't find anything wrong. She has not been eating now for 2 weeks even with trying medications to stimulate her appetite. She is wasting away and we can't figure out why.

Now over the weekend my 12 year old started vomiting and refused to eat any of the food, nor would the other two cats. I had noticed that the food seemed to smell a little different, that most flavors smelled the same and some smelled almost pungent when opening them. Some of the fish flavors smelled like ammonia. I went out yesterday and picked up another brand of wet food and so far everyone is eating ok this morning. I firmly believe there is something wrong with the Friskies wet food. Right now we have several cans with different lot numbers so I have no way of determining if one in particular is bad. All the cans have expiration dates into 2020 and 2021 so none of the food is expired.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have three cats, all different ages. I just purchased new 48 packs of each pate and shreds; I like to mix them all up so they don't get the same thing each time. I have always fed them Friskies canned food without any issues in addition to dry food. This last week I noticed that no one was eating the wet food, not even "Miss Piggy" who will eat anything. I also started noticing diarrhea in the litterbox and someone was throwing up in the litterbox. I kept trying different flavors; all seemed to have the same results except that the throwing up now was not limited to the litterbox. My cats do not go outside so I know they were not exposed to anything from that and the dry food is from the same bag so that is not the problem. The only thing different is the wet food. I now have 3 sickly cats and am hoping they stopped eating it soon enough to not do any lasting damage to them. I am afraid I will have to end my previously happy relationship with Friskies wet food.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I agree with so many posted. Something is different about this food. I have used Friskies for years with an occasional picky eater. I bought the boxes of wet food...turkey/cheese/ Chicken..a variety. And two of my cats have vomited all over. My senior and a 1 year old. Found wet poop in the litter box. What the heck? Just spent 50.00 on numerous multi packs so I don't run out. Chewy.com was wonderful. Refunded my money without asking. Switching but feel I have to warn others. Something is wrong with this food.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Our cat has eaten Friskies wet food on the weekends up until two weeks ago. After eating either meaty bits chicken and gravy, gourmet grill and gravy and/or beef and gravy, he has had severe vomiting and couldn't keep food down. He would turn away his favorite treats and lose interest in eating, which was a huge red flag. I am so thankful that I came across this website and stopped trying to get him to eat other flavors of Friskies canned food.

I had already thrown out the opened cans so I checked the unopened cans and found that the large can of meaty bits in the flavor chicken and gravy was from lot #1159. We were able to get him to eat small amounts of boiled chicken and tuna water. Our saving grace was Hill's Science Sensitive Stomach and Skin (chicken and rice flavor) dry kibble. He was able to eat small amounts the first two days and he is now eating the recommended amount. I was so afraid that we were going to lose him, but now feel like we are on the road to recovery.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have always fed my cat Fancy Feast. Decided to try the Friskies with extra gravy pate. My cat barely ate one can and he became violently ill, vomiting and diarrhea. Had to take him to vet. I am very upset that Friskies is not doing something about this. I have a whole case of this cat food. At this point I think Purina really doesn't care because they are making their money by people unknowingly buying their pet a dangerous food. I think people should completely boycott Purina until they realize our pets are part of the family and they are poisoning a family member.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Hello, my cats have always liked Friskies till about a week ago, all the sudden they either won't eat the wet food or will lick and walk away. It does not matter the flavor or type. And they started developing vomiting and wouldn't eat. I remembered the symptoms my youngest cat had in 2017 from Fancy Feast which made her deathly ill and rushed to the vet at 3 am. I immediately started looking to find out if anyone else is having the same problems and wow glad I did. My cat's food was refunded at Walmart and now she and the other cat is back on Healthy Gourmet Blue Wilderness. It's 1.22 a can. Same amount of food as Friskies but free of by products and preservatives and artificial color and flavor. Beyond is also a great option as well.

Original review: April 1, 2019

After eating only two cans of the Friskies ocean white fish shreds all four of my cats are deathly ill! They vomit violently & just lay around; now they won't eat or drink anything at all. They have been eating this type of canned food for years, now suddenly they are sick. I called the company to report it & she kept trying to blame my cats. Said they were probably eating too fast! No they were healthy & happy just two days ago until I bought a new box of this crap. It was the 32 box of ocean white fish, turkey & beef shreds. I don't know if the other flavors are tainted as well, all I know for certain is the ocean white fish is. The rest is hitting the trash right now. I bought mine at Walmart. If you have this call the company, they are refunding my money & I am changing brands of cat food.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Lot 1159 made both my cat very sick. Please call and report your sick cats to Purina and give them the numbers off the can. They will not do anything about the poisonous cat food unless they hear from consumers. Also report to the FDA.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have had 2 cats for about 6 months. I’ve been feed them Friskies for this whole time. They loved it! Devoured every meal. As of March 25, 4 days ago, something changed. They don’t want to eat it, sniff it and walk away. Now, they have lost weight, vomit everywhere, and won’t eat anything at all (not any kind of food!!!). After taking them to vet, talking to my sister) who also has cats, feeds her cats Friskies AND is having the same problem (SHE HAD TO TAKE HER CAT TO THE EMERGENCY VET AND SPENT $1,200.) I decided to do some research and came across all these people who are having the same problem I am. FRISKIES NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING! There is something wrong with the food!!! Throw it away!!! I will NEVER from them again. Unacceptable.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My cat began vomiting frequently a couple of weeks ago. I was accustomed to the occasional "hair ball" ejection, but these was different. Thin, thick, clumpy, loose. I began to find puddles and piles of vomit in many locations. The only thing that had changed in her environment was that I had started giving her Friskies Party Mix "Beachside Crunch" cat treats. I discontinued giving her the treats three days ago, and there has not been another incident of vomiting.

As a scientist, I'm cautious of making unwarranted conclusions, and I'm not certain that these treats were the cause of the vomiting, but I did a Google search and came up with this page immediately. I'm rather stunned at the number of recent comments on this issue. Accordingly, I'm not going to run another "control test" on poor kitty. Based on the number of complaints I've seen here, it's evidence enough that the cat treats are a likely source of the problem.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I switch our cat from Fancy Feast to Friskies multi pack, at first she loved it but after a about a week and a half I noticed she was only licking the juices and not eating the food. Soon she began to meow very strangely and started to vomit almost immediately after licking even just the juice. The only time she has ever had any issues is if she was given Friskies (she has tried Friskies in the past with the same result but until this most recent issue I didn't realize it was due to the cat food). We will be switching her back to Fancy Feast and never use this brand again.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I would like to warn others about Friskies soft food. I switched to Friskies soft cat food for my kitties in December 2018, my kitties would vomit, and my one kitty also had violent coughing episodes and lost a lot of weight. In February my cats would not eat the canned Friskies cat food anymore. At this point I thought I should go back to their previous food so I switched back and the vomiting stopped, and the coughing episodes also stopped. I will never give them Friskies. I had tried it due to the cost, but I rather pay more for the food than pay for vet bills. I also rather have my kitties not vomit and feel awful. Please be careful if you feed your kitties this food. Watch your cats carefully.

Original review: March 26, 2019

As a disclaimer, I’ve fed my cats Friskies in the past... No problems. However, our current cat, we pretty much have just fed Fancy Feast until about 3 months ago, and we switched to Friskies. The last three weeks, she was having increasingly softer and lighter colored poops... To the point where it became light beige, pure liquid explosive diarrhea (like she couldn’t make it into her litter box despite trying to) on Friday night. She was also getting sluggish and leaving food behind. It actually occurred to us it might be the food so immediately switched back to Fancy Feast... And by Saturday night, she was passing formed and proper colored stools again.

Just because it was bothering me and wondering if I should contact Friskies, I googled and found this website. Wow! Scary stuff! HOW Can they NOT have issued a recall? Something is seriously wrong with their food! I am also going to call and complain. It looks like a few people’s cats have died from this. Totally unacceptable and I hope everyone with a problem leaves a review and knows to call and complain to prevent others from possibly losing their babies or incurring crazy vet bills. I actually think we should still take her in for a be visit after reading some of these stories, even though the new food seems to have taken care of the immediate issues (proper stools, not sluggish, and licking her entire bowl clean again).

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information