2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Friskies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I noticed my cat wouldn’t eat the regular Friskies: pâté, shreds or other styles (in defense of friskies she wouldn’t touch 9lives wet foods either). I decided to try the Friskies lil’ soups and see if she liked them. The first thing I noticed is the ingredients (this is for the sockeye salmon):

1. Chicken broth
2. Chicken

3. Sockeye salmon (yes, there is actual chunks of salmon in it; you can see it)

There is no ash in these, no metals, the rest of the ingredients are normal things you find in our own foods. There are 8 ingredients total and one is vitamin B-1. This is just supplemental to whatever dry you feed. I give them to her in the evening, she has her little dinner when we eat dinner. I’ve not had any issues with her eating them, aside from one flavor she does not like: chicken and butternut squash. (You can try it, maybe your cat likes it. My little princess turned up her nose and meowed her distaste for it.)

In the small town I’m in, they are in the dollar stores in the dollar pet section. It is $1 per little cup, but I’m fine with it considering it has better ingredients in my opinion. During the day, I have always stuck with 9Lives daily essentials, I did switch to 9Lives indoor since she is my first ever indoor only cat. Hope this helps, whether it’s because they no longer like the other can type foods, or you simply want something better for your cats.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Seafood Grille is the Friskies brand cat food that our cats will eat - the only brand and the only flavor. I can't vouch for the health benefits of the food because we have one cat who is a tub of lard - he reminds me of the couch potato father from the "Married with Children" television show. The other cat we have is a very feminine female who is quite thin. They are brother and sister and their personalities as well as their body types are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We have tried other cat foods. This was not a good idea. After placing a bowl of some other, more expensive cat food in front of these two, they looked at the food, sniffed it, and then just stared at my son and I until we produced something else - their favorite and the only food they will eat: Friskies Seafood Grille. The price for a very large bag runs around $14.00 at a warehouse-type grocery store. It is definitely worth the money and worth our cats' happiness because we all know what cats are capable of if their humans do not keep them happy. ;)

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I admit I haven’t tried a lot of different brands of canned cat food. Cats tend to be fussy eaters, so I settled on a brand that they all liked (I only have one cat now, but used to have two or three at a time). Friskies comes in a few different formats and my cats all liked pate, which is a snooty label the manufacturer uses for ground cat food. I like this brand due to its wide availability, its variety of flavors, its convenient multi-packs and its competitive pricing. Despite my vet’s insistence that it’s unnecessary, I still provide a small amount of dry cat food, too. For this, I buy Iams indoor cat weight/hairball control.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I like Friskies because of the variety of flavors and cuts in their wet type of cat food, as for their dry brand food also variety to fit each cat you do have needs! I also like the wet type food because as far as I know I hadn’t saw that horrible, no-no word in the ingredients (gluten). I do not wish my cats health nor kidneys to be shut down because of the (gluten scare) we had years ago, after all, my cats are like my fur kids! Thanks Friskies!????

Original review: July 7, 2020

Our 18 year old indoor tabby will only eat Friskies Prime Filet Chicken with Gravy! After trying many other countless different brands & flavors, this has been her favorite, and only choice, for at least 17 years. It has kept her healthy & active all these years! Our other cats come running for Friskies Dry Cat Food Tender Crunchy Combos! When they hear the bag rustle, they come running & meowing!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

Certain Friskies canned food Chicken and Ocean Fish Pate made one of my cats violently ill with vomiting and diarrhea. He's lethargic and won't come out from under the bed. I had always fed my cats the shreds until this summer when they started throwing up on them. I notified Friskies and they denied any problems with the shreds and sent me some free coupons, which I used for the pate varieties.

They were doing well on the pate until this past week, when they started refusing any of the cans with fish in it. When I tried the chicken and fish yesterday, two of the cats wouldn't touch it; the third one ate his. By afternoon he was vomiting and sick and his diarrhea was so bad. He was losing it on the way to the litter box. He is very, very sick today, and if he dies my husband says he'll sue Purina. Interestingly, when we went to the store yesterday there wasn't a single can of Friskies on the shelf. It was completely bare. Friskies can claim nothing's going on but the bare shelf tells the story. I have a friend who said on Facebook this same cat food made his cats throw up too.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I just started to feed my kittens a little canned food to see if they would like it. They ate it but later that day they started to vomit and developed diarrhea. I have been feeding them canned tuna and cooked chicken, beef, etc. with no problem. Three of the four of them are better after vomiting up most of the food. One of them is very lethargic and just sleeps. She will not eat or drink and if she dies this will be one of many bad reviews I will leave for this garbage they are selling. I will never feed this stuff to my pets ever again and I have used and trusted this brand for years. Do not buy this.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Like other reviewers on here, everything was fine until it wasn't. This week I got a new batch of Friskies wet cat food at the store, and it's bad (batch 1161.) I've never been around such a stench in my life.. Cat literally has endless farts, as bad as dog farts, for two days straight, all day and all night. He also has diarrhea with a stench that made me puke. Just disgusting. I decided to see what was up with this food, when along comes this page. When I realized I had one of the "unlucky" batches I immediately switched him to dry food. I don't even trust wet food anymore. The poor guy is gassing me out as I type, non-stop death farts from hell. I feel really sorry for him. I can only hope I caught this in time and he'll be okay. I'M NEVER BUYING FRISKIES AGAIN.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Just today we put our beloved Bella to sleep due to oral squamous cell carcinoma. The issue was just noticed about a week ago when she started drooling and began to eat less. We took her to the vet and discovered the mass on the roof of her mouth. We hoped it was an abscessed tooth and made an appointment this past Monday for today to put her under anesthesia to examine. A short time ago our vet called with the news. We chose to let her continue to sleep instead of waking her and being in more pain.

During the last few days, although hoping for an abscess, we search the web and found a few issues that gave us some hope, such as feline stomatitis, but we prepared for the worse as we saw an article regarding canned cat food that contained tuna. There are a few major contributing circumstances to feline Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma; 2nd hand smoke (we are a smoke free home), use of flea collars (both Bella and Luna are indoor cats and never had a flea collar, and lastly, canned cat food with tuna.

There are no warnings on Friskies cans, there's no insight to the issue until it's too late. If we would have know there was a slight chance of causing cancer in either of our cats we would not have given them canned food with tuna. The flavors our cats like are Shreds Tuna and Whitefish, Tasty Treasures with Tuna, Prime Filets with Chicken and Salmon, etc. For the most part, our cats were eating tuna twice per day. Bella, our larger cat ate the majority of the food while our smaller Luna at some wet and some dry. Again, if there was a warning on the can or provided by Purina we would never have feed them tuna. Never again will we feed or cats a Purina brand food.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I've fed my cat this food for years. No issues until Summer 2020. My cat started throwing up and having other issues. I've taken him to the vet lethargic and dehydrated three times since this summer. I just checked the batch number of the cans I fed him. They are from batch #1159. I will never buy this food again. I'm taking cat to the vet tomorrow again. He is seriously dehydrated, lethargic, and vomiting green bile. I wish I had realised this sooner and I am praying he will recover.

Friskies author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information