2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Friskies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I noticed my cat wouldn’t eat the regular Friskies: pâté, shreds or other styles (in defense of friskies she wouldn’t touch 9lives wet foods either). I decided to try the Friskies lil’ soups and see if she liked them. The first thing I noticed is the ingredients (this is for the sockeye salmon):

1. Chicken broth
2. Chicken

3. Sockeye salmon (yes, there is actual chunks of salmon in it; you can see it)

There is no ash in these, no metals, the rest of the ingredients are normal things you find in our own foods. There are 8 ingredients total and one is vitamin B-1. This is just supplemental to whatever dry you feed. I give them to her in the evening, she has her little dinner when we eat dinner. I’ve not had any issues with her eating them, aside from one flavor she does not like: chicken and butternut squash. (You can try it, maybe your cat likes it. My little princess turned up her nose and meowed her distaste for it.)

In the small town I’m in, they are in the dollar stores in the dollar pet section. It is $1 per little cup, but I’m fine with it considering it has better ingredients in my opinion. During the day, I have always stuck with 9Lives daily essentials, I did switch to 9Lives indoor since she is my first ever indoor only cat. Hope this helps, whether it’s because they no longer like the other can type foods, or you simply want something better for your cats.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Seafood Grille is the Friskies brand cat food that our cats will eat - the only brand and the only flavor. I can't vouch for the health benefits of the food because we have one cat who is a tub of lard - he reminds me of the couch potato father from the "Married with Children" television show. The other cat we have is a very feminine female who is quite thin. They are brother and sister and their personalities as well as their body types are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We have tried other cat foods. This was not a good idea. After placing a bowl of some other, more expensive cat food in front of these two, they looked at the food, sniffed it, and then just stared at my son and I until we produced something else - their favorite and the only food they will eat: Friskies Seafood Grille. The price for a very large bag runs around $14.00 at a warehouse-type grocery store. It is definitely worth the money and worth our cats' happiness because we all know what cats are capable of if their humans do not keep them happy. ;)

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I admit I haven’t tried a lot of different brands of canned cat food. Cats tend to be fussy eaters, so I settled on a brand that they all liked (I only have one cat now, but used to have two or three at a time). Friskies comes in a few different formats and my cats all liked pate, which is a snooty label the manufacturer uses for ground cat food. I like this brand due to its wide availability, its variety of flavors, its convenient multi-packs and its competitive pricing. Despite my vet’s insistence that it’s unnecessary, I still provide a small amount of dry cat food, too. For this, I buy Iams indoor cat weight/hairball control.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I like Friskies because of the variety of flavors and cuts in their wet type of cat food, as for their dry brand food also variety to fit each cat you do have needs! I also like the wet type food because as far as I know I hadn’t saw that horrible, no-no word in the ingredients (gluten). I do not wish my cats health nor kidneys to be shut down because of the (gluten scare) we had years ago, after all, my cats are like my fur kids! Thanks Friskies!????

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have been reading about people saying that Friskies canned cat food is making their cats ill. Well my two cats have been eating Friskies canned cat food all their life and nothing has happened to them - no vomiting, no diarrhea, no nothing and they have eaten all flavors textures the whole nine yards. In fact my husband just brought back home five more cans and I can't wait to feed them their favorite food. Keep up the good work guys, you all make my cats happy and make me happy!!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Updated on 09/17/2020: Update on Tux - Friskies Wet Cat Food Issues. Follow-up on previous review. It has been 2 days since Tux refused to eat his Purina Friskies cat food and I changed to 9-Lives. A different cat. No more vomiting of food after eating or clear liquid after drinking. No more crying for no apparent reason. More interactive and playful. Always eats all the 9 Lives wet I put out for him. Still eating the same dry foods and treats. I have contacted Purina, and they don't know of any issues but asked me to provide specifics on the batch # of the cat food that caused the issue. Thanks for all the comments and concern.

Original Review: Having trouble recently with my 12.5 year old cat. Have always feed him Friskies Canned Cat food. No issues until recently. Cat started vomiting and losing weight for no apparent reason. Trying to figure out what is wrong. Office visits, X-Rays and just today an ultrasound. Nothing conclusive so far. Because of the ultrasound, Tux hasn't eaten or drank since 9 PM last night. When we got back I put a bowl of Friskies canned out and cat barely ate. Put some 9-Lives out and cat ate 1/2 can with no vomiting so far. This is an issue. Can we get a lawsuit started. I have already spent about $750.00 trying to figure out what is wrong with my cat. I really believe everyone else and there is currently something wrong with Friskies canned wet cat food.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I am so furious that this product is still in the market. I have been feeding my 2 young cats (2 years old) Friskies wet canned food since I adopted them from the shelter when they were 3 months old since that’s what I was told to feed them by the staff there. Never had any problems until recently. The last batch I got was #1161. My cats both began vomiting and having diarrhea uncontrollably after eating their food. The diarrhea was so bad I woke up in the morning to numerous diarrhea marks all over the house, they couldn’t even make it to their litter box. They were so lethargic and weren’t playing or coming to me for cuddles which is very unlike them. They just stayed under the bed all day for 4 days. They kept throwing up within minutes of eating their food.

I couldn’t figure out what was going on with them and never thought it could be the food they were eating, until they refused to eat their food completely or even go near it when I poured it out. That’s what I knew something was totally off. I switched to Fancy Feast, they started eating all their food again happily and the diarrhea and vomiting stopped instantaneously. Thank God. After reading all these terrible reviews online from people who had the same experience as me I will never be buying this product again. I rather spend more money and buy a product that won’t kill my beloved cats.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I have had a similar experience to several other people who wrote reviews on this site. My cats (eight) have eaten Purina Friskies canned food for several years. Within the last three or four weeks they began refusing to eat it, leaving most of it in their dishes. I have one cat who is dehydrated and lethargic, has lost weight, and is requiring some intense veterinarian intervention. He and another cat have elevated pancreatic enzymes; however, I can’t say for sure the elevation is related to the food. I have been speculating Purina changed the recipe - not for the better. I will not be using this product any longer.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We recently bought a new case of Friskies Shreds Canned Cat Food, serial number ending in 1157. Woke up yesterday morning to one cat with bloody diarrhea and now both are vomiting and experiencing diarrhea. The only food they both ate was this canned food and they have never had stomach issues before. Extremely disturbed by how many pet owners have experienced similar symptoms in their cats. We even had to rebook a trip to stay and take care of them. Never buying Purina products again. PLEASE do not buy this food for your pets.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I've had many (8) cats that lived 20+ years each on Friskies canned pate and Purina dry food. Three months ago, my cats started seriously ignoring the wet Friskies. Last couple weeks they'd eat a bit later in the day then one or another (of 3) threw up. Yeah, cats can be picky and they can have hair balls.. but this is/was different. This morning I gave them salmon (usually a favorite!); all three ate some, then two threw up repeatedly, over and over until only bile was left. Something has seriously changed for the worse in Friskies canned catfood starting 3-4 months ago. I'm throwing out the many cans (14) we have left tomorrow and, after 40 years of Friskies loyalty, I'm buying other (grain free) brands online as I write this. Good-bye Friskies!

Friskies author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information