1.41/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

96 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had 3 cats in our household & all have been fed Friskies canned wet/dry cat food. 2 cats died of a mysterious allergic reaction that caused hair loss, tooth loss, weight loss, vomiting, bad breath & diarrhea - the 3rd cat was very sick w/ the same symptoms. We tried a variety of products including Purina Sensitive Stomach for our remaining cat without improvement until we settled on Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Skin & Stomach. She improved significantly. Not putting 2 & 2 together, I happened to find a leftover can of Friskies while cleaning & decided to give it to her for a "treat". Within a couple of hours, my cat had a 4" x 2" area on her neck where all the hair was gone, was red, inflamed & oozing serous fluid.

She was in obvious pain & I was afraid her airway was going to swell shut. I was able to treat the area with steroids & the area has healed nicely over the last 2 weeks but the hair has yet to grow back. I immediately got rid of any Friskies food that was left over. Now I have to question if I had a hand in the death of our other 2 cats by feeding them Friskies food. There can be no other explanation for what happened to the other 2. This product should be removed from shelves and banned. I would have given a negative rating if I could have... I did take a photo of her neck if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I am so glad I found this website and saw others were having the same experience with Friskies canned cat food (in my case, specifically, Poultry Platter Pate). I've been feeding my 2 cats the Friskies Pate for a couple of years and they were OK with it. They also get Royal Canin kibbles (Selective Protein or something like that!). They love the Royal Canin. Over the last year, I have been throwing out at least 50% of the Friskies because my cats would not eat it. A couple of times, I wouldn't put anything else out thinking they were just being fussy cats. Now I feel horrible.

The last batch in particular has really made my cats sick. One is very lethargic. Out goes all the Friskies on hand. I don't know what to try next. I can't afford the better, more expensive canned wet food brands. But then again, with the amount of Friskies I have thrown out, I've been spending the same amount on the Friskies as I would on a better brand where I didn't have to throw out 50% of the cans! How does Purina get away with selling this food that is making our cats sick??? They obviously don't care.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

For years I have fed both my cats a tablespoon of Friskies Pate in the morning. They have Royal Canin SO dry all day. Several months ago they both starting throwing up. First it was the older cat who is 13. Everyday occurrence! Then the 9 year old. I initially thought hairballs. I tried Fancy Feast after getting some free cans and all throwing up stopped. I am grateful that I didn't feed them a larger amount after reading other reviews.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Our cat has been eating this brand of food for almost all of her 12 years and loves it. She turns her nose up at more expensive brands. We noticed recently that all the flavors in the 5.5 oz cans have less meat and more gravy. We suspect that Friskies is recently trying to boost their profits.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Poultry Platter Pate, Turkey and Giblets Pate I KNOW are toxic. They favor the non-fish ones - Supper Supreme, Mixed Grill, Country Style Dinner, Beef - all Pate style. I have been feeding my cats Friskies wet cat food for several years. But then both my cats were getting sick fall of 2017. I had a suspicion it might be their food. I looked for a recall and found some negative reviews on Amazon of their dry food so I switched their dry food to a super premium Acana which they love.

My cat Annabelle started getting EXTREMELY sick in April 2018. She was puking, diarrhea on the carpet multiple times a day, hiding under the bed, lethargy, sneezing, and weight loss for a little cat. The poop had blood and lots of mucus in it and smelled foul. I took her to the vet and he dismissed that it could be food. I did a round of antibiotics with her. She felt better, then after she was off the meds she got sick again. We started another round of antibiotics, but was getting sicker, so we added in 2 more antibiotics. One of which was super expensive and tore up her stomach so badly and made her worse, as well as she was so sick and not drinking water or eating. She became seriously dehydrated and I had to take her back to the vet for IV fluids. She was pooping gray cement colored diarrhea that the vet had never seen before.

We finally got her stabilized on steroids and a probiotic. Again, as soon as I took her off meds she got worse. Each time she was "getting better" I was reintroducing the Friskies. I took her to the vet multiple times. The blood work was fine. Recently, we took Romeo off **. He had been losing weight due to unknown cause and couldn't figure out why so we put him on a different appetite stimulant. He starts getting sick with exactly the same symptoms as Annabelle: diarrhea with blood and mucus on the carpet, gray diarrhea, lethargy, hiding, puking all the time, dehydration. Foul smelling puke and poop. Obviously gastrointestinal issues from the stomach (puking) all the way through to the large intestine (red blood and mucus poop). So both my cats were off **- a strong pain steroid.

I realized that last Sunday was exactly when they both got sick and that was the exact day I gave them both Friskies Poultry Platter! I search for a recall, but found this site. I had been suspicious before and pulled the Friskies, but this confirmed it with both my cats so sick. The ** had been helping them with the pain of being so sick in their guts and covering up why Romeo was losing weight.

I immediately put them on Blue Buffalo wet food as well as ** again and they started feeling better. We also included probiotics. The bad thing is we don't know what the hell is in the toxic food - bacteria? toxic chemicals? salmonella? e coli? aflatoxins? Luckily, I have figured it out in time to save my cats. Friskies has poisoned my cats and cost me hundreds in vet bills and have nearly killed my cats. Romeo has lost 5+ lbs and Annabelle has lost 3 lbs. Romeo has been sicker longer, which is why he was losing weight. His gut is very sensitive, so he lost weight early.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Well I opened up a can of Friskies' "Mixed Grill," this morning for our cat and set it down for him to eat. He ate half of it, so I picked up the can to stir remainder, in the can and I found what looks like two lengths of "aluminum wires," inside the can, so I'm not sure if our cat ate any of it or not. We'll be calling them today with our findings. Mainly it's an F.Y.I. for people who buy Friskies canned food, it's a good idea to stir the product up first to make sure this doesn't happen to your pets!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My dog is 130 lbs and ate no more than a spoonful of the Mariner's Catch Pate. Two minutes later, she dropped on the ground and stopped breathing. We did CPR on her to no avail and she stopped breathing. Tongue turned blue and she wasn't moving or responding. Thank God, my husband got behind her and put his arms around her to do CPR because we were finally able to get her to breathe again. She was dead for at least 2 minutes before we could resuscitate her. Got her to the hospital and her liver enzymes were highly elevated. Could have been an allergic reaction, could have been something in the Friskies. She's alive, but that bite of Friskies cost us $1,300.00.

Also, our older cat stopped eating this food and is now a skeleton. We had to bring her to the vet, thinking it's cancer or something and the vet didn't know why she just stopped eating. Got a prescription wet food for her and she chows it down. Another $800.00. All the Friskies in our house got thrown out. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have 2 cats that are indoor only that I've been feeding only can food to per recommendation of the vet for the last 3 months & they were doing great previously, eating great, no problems with appetite or otherwise until about a month ago they both started refusing the food when I changed food brands & started feeding them Friskies brand. Most recently what I noticed most issue with is Friskies Pate 32ct variety pack Poultry favorites. I bought other variety packs just prior & I've been throwing most of it away & thought they were both being picky about the flavor & figured they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

They were both eating but very little, I would open a can in morning & another can in evening & end up discarding at least 1/2 of a 5.5oz can twice a day because it sat out too long. Yet previously on other brand (same amt of food) they would eat at least 2 full cans during the day between the 2 of them & at times I'd have to give them a 3rd can & I very rarely had to discard any food because they ate it quickly enough so it didn't sit out & go to waste.

After 2 weeks of this going on with them barely eating & kinda turning their noses up at the food 1 of them Millie Lou starts vomiting what appeared to be bile or liquid. A few days later the other cat Frankie began vomiting the same thing then also any food he ingested. Frankie also keeps crying out several times throughout the day as if something is wrong especially very late at night & his meow sounds different like hoarse sounding like something may have either scratched his throat or made it raw is best I can describe it. He keeps trying to get outside to eat grass for his upset tummy (the only time he ever tries to get outside is because he's craving grass for an upset stomach) so to keep him from trying to run outside I pick some grass for him & bring it inside to him & beyond the Friskies wet food, the grass (from my personal front yard - no chemicals of any sort is on it) is the only thing he's eaten this past month.

Both cats had started eating better BUT they were vomiting. I didn't realize the food might be the cause of this upset tummy of both my cats (& initial food rejection that I misinterpreted as being picky due to food change) until 2 nights ago when I opened a can of the Pate Poultry platter & as I was spreading it out on the plate for them (I spread it out across the plate rather than dump it I to a bowl to make it easier for them to share it which enabled me to see more of what was in the food) I saw a few small black specs at first then I saw several larger black pieces of something that I first was thinking might be as innocent as fish skin BUT due to fact it was Poultry platter & not a seafood dish, fortunately, I decided to touch it to make sure. So I touched it, noticed it was hard then picked it out of the plate & as I looked closer realized it was a hard piece of PLASTIC!

There were a few pieces of a big enough size to gag a pet, cut their gums, intestines, etc. Then there was more tiny pieces mixed in that were the size of black pepper when it's freshly ground at a medium to large setting all blended in which may not cause discomfort but certainly can't be healthy! And although upon looking at list of ingredients later for the poultry platter, fish was listed therefore it could have been skin, it most definitely wasnt skin & plastic definitely wasnt on list of ingredients! I started thinking back that saying about hindsight being 20/20 & recall seeing black pieces in previous cans I opened & chalked it up to skin of fish & never thought enough about it to check it further because it's pet food & stuff like that is in there & now I wish I'd have taken the time to THINK & Realize I was feeding my cats Poultry not seafood like I did the other night.

I placed that can on top of the plate of food & put it in a storage bag & put in refrigerator in case I needed it for any reason to be checked by anyone such as the vet, etc. After that, I couldn't help but think maybe it was the food making my cats sick because if plastic was in food that could make them sick in itself or there could be something else wrong so I started looking online in effort to see if anyone else had same or similar issue & found on here where others had issues with not only their cats getting sick with vomiting, etc. some even dying. Cats refusing the food like mine did initially (I feel awful for forcing my cats to either eat it or go hungry because I thought they were being picky). But I even found where a few people found the exact same thing I found. PLASTIC in the can food!

1 woman in particular found black hard plastic such as I found in same exact variety the Pate Poultry platter & states that the company told her they hadn't had any issues or complaints with any such thing & even if that was the case, it has to start with a first complaint! Someone has to go 1st in everything so maybe she just happened to get the 1st can with this plastic. My can with it came in a 32 count variety pack purchased at a Walmart can itself says Best by May 2020 81341157 L63741139. I now have majority of case of cat food that has to go in trash because can't return partially used case of food for refund & I'm on very limited income as I wait for a disability decision.

Hopefully the vomiting & crying of my cats will stop once that bad food & any plastic I may have missed is completely out of their systems. Hopefully neither of them have any blockages! Those pet parents that saw blood in their cats' stool or vomit, you should ask your vet if it could have possibly been caused by hard plastic in the food they ate. This is way too ridiculous & Purina / Friskies needs to recall this food & if you plan to keep operating fix the problems. Don't slap bandaids on them, so no other animals are harmed! We love our furbabies. They're irreplaceable! Some of us depend on our pets to be here for us as much as they depend on us to take care of them & feed them food that won't make them sick or worse!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I have been rescuing and fostering cats for years, and have had more than I can count. Friskies has always been my food of choice for my cats They love the turkey and giblets especially. That seems to be the most popular for the widest range of cats. When I get a can that is extremely moist and has juice in it, it is eaten readily by all cats. However, every time I buy a can or a case I am taking the risk that I’m buying cans of food that no longer have that excess moisture and liquid. Those cans of food are completely wasted because the cats don’t want to eat them. Because I buy in such large quantities, that ends up being an extreme amount of waste.

It’s very frustrating and I just wish they would find a way to consistently pack food so that it would remain moist in the cans regardless of how long it has been on retailer shelves. Readily I all cats. However, every time I buy a can or a case I am taking the risk that I’m buying cans of food that no longer have that excess moisture and liquid. Those cans and cases of food are completely wasted because the cats don’t want to eat them. It’s very frustrating and I just wish they would find a way to consistently pack food so that it would remain moist in the cans regardless of how long it has been on retailer shelves

Original review: June 27, 2018

We have multiple cats indoor and outdoor and they all love it. Perfect size and variety of flavors. Not too dry, not too moist. The perfect crunch for my cats.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have 3 finicky cats who disagree on even the most expensive (store bought) food but they all love this brand and all of the varieties. It is a fair price and most importantly my cats are healthy.

Original review: June 15, 2018

A few days ago I wrote customer service regarding crushed and leaking cat food cans. Since that time company have chosen to ignore complaint. Yesterday I opened a 4th 32 count case of cans and again more damaged cans. Some leaked so bad I had to throw away many of the cans. The smell was disgusting. Something needs to be done. I'm an 82 year old that feeds many cats. I cant afford the waste.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Friskies gravy sensations poultry favorite pouches - My cat has always loved this food. Choosing it over hard food. This box, this past week he will not eat it. He has not been as active. I offered the turkey, chicken and beef packets. Best if used by Mar 2020 8083 4749 12:05 L10 A 8094. Purchased last week from Wal-Mart, Florida.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I had our shopping cart just about filled with Friskies canned cat food which when I got my first cat, years ago, was told it’s a very good, high quality cat food. Back then (in the 90s) it was a high quality product. A woman saw us filling our cart with Friskies but walked away after grabbing some other brand of canned cat food. She came back a short time later and identified herself and shared what she learned about Friskies! She said she just had to come back to tell us what she learned because she had to let us know what we were feeding our furkids could make them extremely ill or even kill them. She shared her own personal experiences with Friskies and told us about other cat parents' devastating experiences. She told us horror stories about cats getting deathly ill, vomiting food, vomiting blood, bloody urine, stools, diarrhea...some recovered after their food was changed, and survived. Others weren’t as fortunate.

My cats started turning their heads away from the food, even trying to bury it!!! One of our boys suffered from terrible gastric issues! He came close to death!!! Needless to say, we changed what food we feed our furkids. Since we did, our boys are looking and acting much healthier! Our cat with the equivalent of IBS in humans, no longer has gastric issues! Purina needs to be investigated and forced to close down until they are prepared to market a healthy product!!! Even if that does happen, I will never trust Purina which happens to be owned by the Nestle Corporation.

Original review: June 11, 2018

All of a sudden, my 22 year old cat is refusing to eat Friskies Turkey and Friskies Chicken cat food. I have another cat who is 10 years old. She won't eat them, either. I put it in her dish and she comes up to her dish, smells it, and hisses at it and walks away. Did their formulas change? They have no problem with any of the Friskies seafood dinners. I usually split the can between the two of them at night and they have Iams dry food on demand. Now it seems they will refuse the Friskies poultry and eat the dry food instead. I guess I'm going to have to take it back to the grocery store where I got it and exchange it for Fancy Feast. Bye, Bye Friskies!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've been feeding my cat, ever since she was a kitten, the little Friskies. I'm not sure what they've done to change the ingredients, but I had to have my cat euthanized on June 8th, 2018. My cat awaken me with five desperate meows at 4:45 a.m. Saturday morning. Wednesday the 6th she was fine playing with me chasing each other back and forth. I clean out the litter box Wednesday night because trash pickup was on Thursdays, when I went down to clean out her litter box Thursday am, she hadn't gone to the litter box. I checked Thursday, pm I notice just a little bit of a urine. June 7th, she ate her food and she kind of just laid around. Kind of kept her distance, she doesn't go out in the grass but I have a deck she usually goes out and she wouldn't walk out that door she stay close to me but wouldn't jump on the sofa with me until it was time to go to bed.

We have a routine. She jumps up at 10 p.m. I know that means for me to get her a treat before she goes to bed. I wake up at 4:45 turn desperate cries. I take her to the emergency room and bottom line is I she never made it back home with me. She was only 5 years old healthy, beautiful Calico. The vet said it was sepsis infection throughout her body. We've been to the vets her checkup and Shots, there were no problems. No feline disorders or anything. At the emergency room her x-rays were normal, but her blood work and a white cell blood cell count everything was off, low blood pressure, low heart rate. She was in shock and logic and in critical condition, I held her in my arms as they euthanized her.

To the makers of this product, to the Nutritional experts, perhaps there's something wrong in the distribution of how it's handled, or the making of this product, but somewhere along the line, and somewhere along the way something is wrong. My complaint is like so many others that I've read. The similarities are too connected. Please look into this matter. Now all have is a house full of pet toys, bowls and imprint of my precious friend's paw.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I brought our new rescue cat home about 6 months ago. I stocked up on Friskies canned cat food. I didn’t know which kind to get but Friskies should be fine. He refused to eat “crazy concoctions “. Ok. He reluctantly ate shreds and bits and pate. But if I fed him over a couple of spoonfuls at a time he would consistently vomit. I figured that he was just that way. So I fed him 4-5 times a day to keep it down. While browsing the web I came across some customer complaints for the same thing. I didn’t believe it, but on the outside chance, I switched to 9 Lives. Bingo. That was 2 weeks ago and he has not vomited at all. Even fed him whole cans at a time. (He likes that). I was stunned. How is this possible? I have no idea but the proof is in the puke. Now I feel guilty for making him sick. I do not write complaints. Ever. But this is critical. Our pets can’t tell us so we need to be vigilant.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had some sickness in my cats the last year using Friskies Shreds, Meaty Bits, etc, and I have to blame their food source. Tonight why my voracious neighbor's cat turns his nose up to a fresh helping of Bits chicken, I have to say something must be wrong with that food. I am not tolerating a food source that cannot be depended upon for 100% purity. I am tired of having sick cats, diarrhea, bacterial infections, and am changing to another brand besides Friskies.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I run a rescue and ordered several cases of Purina Friskies 13 oz. Poultry platter canned cat foods. I ended up having to throw them out because I found MANY black plastic pieces in the cans. They were all different sizes and shapes. When I contacted Purina they said they hadn't heard about this problem before and would check into it. But when I checked online I found that there were MANY complaints about thick black plastic pieces pet owners have found in their Friskies canned cat food who have contacted the company also.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We have fed Friskies Pate to our cat for years. Beginning at mid May, he began vomiting and was lethargic and no appetite. Went to vet. rx with **. No cause found, Still won't eat much. Losing weight. Today we gave him Fancy Feast and he chowed it down but still won't eat the Friskies Pate. It seems like there is something wrong with the Friskies Pate!!!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

We have been using Friskies wet cat food with no problems since we brought our Siamese babies home in January. They receive one can of wet food, split between them, in the morning, and one can split each evening. These are inside cats only, with no access to poisonous plants, etc. Two nights ago, they stopped eating, and are now vomiting clear fluids. They are terribly ill. The only explanation for them to both become this ill, on the very same day, is the wet food. The dry food that is left for them has not been changed, (it’s a bag we bought over a month ago.)

I’ve already had them to the vet twice - and will need to go back tomorrow. The anti nausea injections today were ineffective. These boys are my world. I’m devastated. Not sure what numbers are lot numbers, etc. - but the numbers on the box, after the expiration date of March 2020 read: 80741159 2309L978088. I cannot believe this is happening.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have 3 senior cats, all 100% indoor. Last year, I realized that dry food wasn't good for them - constipation, throwing up, over-weight, so I stopped feeding them dry food. They get a tablespoon once a week as a treat and they can tolerate that small amount. They have been eating Friskies canned food for many years with no problem. A few months ago, I saw that one of the cats couldn't tolerate the chicken and tuna, so I stopped getting that for all of the cats. I thought I'd try them on the pate flavors and they liked it. I got beef fillets once in a while, but saw that 2 of the 3 couldn't tolerate it (diarrhea/vomiting) and the one that could can't tolerate a whole can, so that's out.

I've been feeding them the chicken fillets, chicken and cheese, turkey and cheese and country style, supper supreme, turkey and liver and mixed grill pates. I've tried them with shreds, but they don't like it. And forget any of the really wet newer flavors, too rich. I feed 3 cats 4 cans of food daily. They don't like eating less, but they don't have the upsets as often. Then my healthiest cat had blood in his stool, loss of appetite and lethargy for more than a day, so I knocked off the pate. He has recovered. I'm feeding him chicken, and have been giving him small amounts of the chicken fillets. He is much better, but I'm taking the pate food back to the store.

I have to keep in mind that they are older cats, and have aging systems that aren't as tolerant. After I use up the Friskies I have on hand, I may look for senior cat food that might be easier on their digestive systems. This isn't entirely a complaint about Friskies products. There have been times when the cats flat out refuse it and I return any cans in that batch to the store. I think my cats are just getting old and this might not be the best food choice for them.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have been feeding our cat Friskies shreds for months and she loved it! Last night, just like every other night, we fed her and within hours she was vomiting. She vomited about 5 time. This morning we fed her breakfast thinking maybe it was just she ate too fast... within minutes she was vomiting again—about 4 times, massive piles of vomit. I decided to take all food and water up for a couple of hours because she was drinking water so fast after. I then came here and see that clearly this is a problem and Friskies needs to take responsibility for what they’re doing to our animals!!! I’m trying to feed her rice right now which she hates but she is very hungry which is a plus and thank goodness she’s drinking water but she’s pretty lethargic.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My cats really love your products so much. I started feeding them with your seafood platter and what I've expected is they love it!. They love the taste and this is very affordable. I highly recommend this product.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I opened the Friskies seafood pate box and started feeding my cats. Over the next few days my cats became very ill. I opened one more can and it was moldy and I inhaled it as well. I was offered $20 to replace the box, however since then I have become sick and my cats won’t eat. I am looking for an attorney that handles cases like this one.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Felix Friskies Indoor Food for a year, (plus their canned food) and he developed an illness + blockage issue and he could NOT be saved. I had him on no other food--and the vet seemed reassured that Purina Friskies did him in. I will never ever feed another cat the food--Felix was my best friend. He only lived a year and I am still grieving--I had to put him down towards the end of the month of April thinking he had a UTI, (if only!!!). AVOID this food if you can. There are better (and safer!) options for your cat. He is not in pain anymore, but I'll be damned if I feed my new cat this food!

I am still grieving, and occasionally crying from having to put my Felix down even though I have a new kitty to love, my own health started to deteriorate after I lost Felix (it was advised that I get a new kitten). He is brightening up my day more and more. No cat can ever replace Felix, but be leery of this food & listen to what other reviewers are saying. They are not wrong! (This crap is like McDonald's for them). It cost me 275.00 to end Felix's suffering but I still have a broken heart. Rest assure, I am watching my new kitten like a hawk and on top of my already existing anxiety, don't mean to be dumping it on Toby but I am now forever a paranoid cat Mom. Wish I knew then what I know now. :/

Original review: May 1, 2018

1 week ago today I purchased a 24 pack of Friskies Mixed Seafood Pate for both my cat & my neighbor's 2 cats whom I am caring for while their parents are on vacation. My Cat: within 4 hours of eating a can of the pate he began vomiting. This happened throughout the night into the next day. Staining the carpet with some odd 'orange' color that WILL NOT come out of my profession spot cleaner. The following day he began to experience diarrhea. My Neighbor's Cat(s): Refused to eat any of the selection which I left out for them. These two are voracious wet food eaters. The next morning the entire house smelled "sour" from this can of food. The following evening I offered a different flavor of seafood selection from the same box. Both cats refused the wet food. In the meantime after 3 day my cat is starting to feel better with a diet of baby food, rice and now has moved up to boiled chicken. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 1, 2018

About 3 months ago, I began noticing hard black objects and larger bone chips in the Seafood and a few other flavors of Friskies canned food. I didn't know what the black objects were. After hearing that others had problems with this cat food, I started looking more closely and found a number of other objects in the food, and many of the black objects... A lot of small pieces I couldn't see very well without my reading glasses. I found what appears to be parts of chicken beaks, along with pieces of wood, and a piece of chert rock, plus many bone fragments and many of the black objects. I have photos of a few of these findings... Plus I kept a few of the objects... the ones I photographed.

All or most of my cats have been sick, with a lot of throwing up and lethargy in the younger cats. One middle aged cat, plus two older cats were quite sick, with diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, and refusing to eat. The older cats were hit the hardest. One died and another is getting close to death... The vet has found a mass in his intestines and he has had extremely bloody and with an extreme amount of mucous in this cat's diarrhea... on several occasions. He also has bouts of constipation, apparently with the ** medication prescribed by the vet, or for other reasons. I can't afford to have an ultrasound done, so that's all we know about this cat.

The one who died, actually was quite feral, so I knew little of his problems. He wasn't eating his favorite dry food is what I first noticed, then he hardly ate any wet food. I finally got some money to take him to the vet. He, well it turned out he was a she, was extremely dehydrated and had a very low body temperature when he was sedated for examination. While administering fluids, she began having breathing problems and died of a probable heart attack. So I have no proof he was compromised by his food, but it's highly possible.

I saw her seeming to drink water often... I heated the water sometimes and she seemed to like it, is what I thought was going on... And going to the litter "box" area much more often than usual, but didn't realize the issues involved. Cats are very good at hiding illnesses. I don't have concrete proof of how much the food is related to the health issues, but I have switched to other foods and only the one senior cat is still having problems... He can't seem to get over the health issues.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I lost a cat on March 12th. He ate Fancy Feast and Pro Plan canned (5 cans a day) and then 24/7 he had dry Purina shreds. He went from 15 lb to 8 lb. He threw up after eating FF. The last bag I opened had cobwebs worms and just looked bad. He was my heart and I’ll never get over this Friskies killing him!!! Purina you need to own up to killing animals!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I had been feeding wet and indoor dry Friskies forever. Suddenly my cats would not touch it. They began vomiting bloody, foamy solution, then really sick, lethargic and some diarrhea. The first five was so sick. Took to vet where received fluids and Then to get them to eat. Started cooking chicken and rice for them. The bad thing is I have 17 and not just 5 but all did same thing. Contacted Friskies and they asked how many cans I had just bought and would refund my cost without any other thing asked. I still have food (dry) out of pocket vet bills and expense of purchasing the many packs of chicken and rice. This food had black specks, smelled bad etc. The company should do what’s right and quit making food to KILL our pets. I’m pissed as you can’t tell.

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information