1.12/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Friskies

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Friskies Reviews

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

What is Nestle putting into their canned wet foods these days? Diseased rendered pig meat from china??? Last 3 months on and off my 2 cats are puking up or getting diarrhea when I feed them various varieties of Friskies canned foods. I have had them on and off the canned food as a treat and after I put them back on the Friskies canned food inevitably the puking and squirts return. It's the canned food, they like it, they eat it, they seem to crave it, I can't prove it but empirical evidence suggests to me that it cause gastric and intestinal disturbance. I am DONE with any Nestle's product.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

We lost our cat this past Sunday (12/1) due to an unknown reason. We were advised by our vet to treat with SubQ fluids for dehydration from vomiting - after her first dose she became increasingly lethargic and developed a very large abscess with necrotic tissue over a two day period (from the vomiting to passing was 5 days). She had been using Friskies Pate (Batches 1157, 1158 and 1159 - there have been some reports of 1161 as well).

I was able to consult anonymously with some vets regarding the Purina brand issue, and they said that "because correlation does not equal causation" in order to rule out the Purina brand as the cause of deaths a "Necrotopsy and toxicology" must be requested by the owner at the time of death. Due legal nature of such a request the toxicology will run $2,000.00+.

After the toxicology, if there is evidence that the food might be the cause then sometimes the food is then tested. If an actual causative problem is found, THEN food will be recalled. Basically there needs to be causation in order for a recall to take place. Due to the lack of information during an extremely sensitive period, the time sensitivity and financial obligations it is understandable many aren't able to make the decision in the correct time... We did not find out this information until 4 days after our cat passed.

If your pet is eating any Purina Brand and showing early signs (drooling, vomiting or diarrhea) STOP food now and bring to the vet immediately for treatment - as it may not be too late. If you are reading this, and you are in treatment that may be failing, try to look into the above the next steps...while this information is too late for us, maybe it will help one readers going through the same thing.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I had to take my two 7 month old kitties to the vet today. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy. The vet suggested we STOP feeding them whatever we were feeding them and switch to homemade foods for a while. Told her Friskies and she said I should look into whether there have been any recalls or warnings. Lo and behold the new case I have been feeding them from for the last 4 days ends in 1159. One of the batch numbers reported on this site and many others to be very bad. Several sick kitties even some fatalities. I am heartsick as I write this holding one of my boys that is not doing very well. If he doesn’t recover I will forever blame myself for feeding him poison in the form of name brand cat food.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

My cat has been eating this food for years. Loved it until this year. He can't keep this food down. He keeps vomiting it up every time I give it to him. Just to be sure I stopped giving it to him for a week & gave him Fancy Feast & he did not get sick but when I tried Friskies Indoor Homestyle Wet Food he got sick again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Our indoor cat recently started barfing the Friskies dry food, so I switched to the canned food, which I thought would be easier for her to digest. She is ok with most of it, but will barf up any of the "shreds", if she goes beyond just drinking the broth. And pretty much just the "shreds", not the broth. She doesn't like the "pate", but is fine with the other food. It makes me wonder what they do to create the "shreds" consistency as she doesn't seem to be able to digest it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Similar symptoms, vomiting, diarrhea, drinking lots of water, lethargic, etc. Just now saw this page and I think it's the Friskies pate canned food because it's the only common denominator. It killed 5 of my cats and three were only 8 years old, one had CH. My cats have continued to vomit and have runny stools and I am now believing it's the Friskies. I know people that feed dry Iams and dry Purina One and don't have issues. It's the Friskies cans.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

My cats have eaten and loved Friskies canned foods for many many years and been healthy no problems but the last couple months they are vomiting from the canned foods. :( They've eaten the Tuna & egg, the Chicken Dinner with Garden Greens and the Salmon.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have been reading about people saying that Friskies canned cat food is making their cats ill. Well my two cats have been eating Friskies canned cat food all their life and nothing has happened to them - no vomiting, no diarrhea, no nothing and they have eaten all flavors textures the whole nine yards. In fact my husband just brought back home five more cans and I can't wait to feed them their favorite food. Keep up the good work guys, you all make my cats happy and make me happy!!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

In June 2019, I believe Friskies Country Dinner made my 5 cats ill (vomiting and diarrhea). They were very sick for several days. I stopped feeding the Friskies when they got ill (it was only one of several brands I was feeding), and because I believed it was making them sick, I never re-introduced when they were better. I kept feeding the other foods (except for some Paws brand food that I wasn't quite sure about) with no problem. When I ran some of the Friskies through a strainer, there were little pieces of black stuff in it that looked styrofoam when I viewed them under a microscope. I reported my cats being sick to the FDA, but they did not respond.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I wondered what was going on when I kept waking up to vomit and diarrhea all over the house, as I come home late after work every night and that’s when I serve my four cats wet food. A girl I worked with mentioned a Facebook post about certain bad batches so I looked it up and was able to match the bad batch numbers to the cans I had been buying!!! To my horror mind you! So I immediately stopped feeding them canned food period so their systems would hopefully recuperate with much prayer. They stopped vomiting the following but are still suffering from diarrhea. I can’t afford to take four cats to the vet but I did call for advice. Haven’t heard back yet. But these Friskies canned foods and food city brand canned food being they are also made by friskies, should be recalled NOW!! So much damage has already been done! I took it off my shelves where I work!! My boss agreed with me, it’s gone! We are not selling poison.

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information