1.08/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Friskies

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

223 Friskies Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Sept. 5, 2019 I fed my cats Friskies canned Seafood and Chicken. They are vomiting and not eating anything. This is very scary. I bought it at Walmart in Indiana in the 40 can purple box. They are completely lethargic. All animal food should be tested before distributing for animals to eat. Calling my vet.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

My cat is 5 years old and I also have a six-month-old. I have always given my cats Friskies food dry and canned set up until now I have not had any problems. Recently I decided to try Friskies surf and turf dry cat food. To my surprise within a week both cats had diarrhea, and was vomiting. They also stopped using the litter for urinating and bowel movements. Yes both cats have been litter trained ever since I've had them so that is not the reason. They both seem to be avoiding the litter like the plague so to speak. After talking to the vets I decided to put them back on their regular food and see if that helps. I was so happy when they both started using the litter again and the diarrhea and vomiting had gone away. I do not recommend the specific Friskies blend to anyone that loves their fur babies.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

My healthy cat ate one can of the Mariners Catch Pate, Batch number 1157. Purchased at Costco, she vomited a few hours later. I wasn’t too worried as she can sometimes react this way, to changes in diet. As days went on, she stopped eating her regular food and became dehydrated. One week after she ate the food we took a trip to the vet and hope she continues to get better. With all of the customer feedback about this product the company should recall.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I have fed my cats Friskies for years. No issues. My son bought a variety box of the little bits in gravy. Had one of the numbers that was giving everyone issues. I saw the many remarks left by people and had him stop giving it to them. Was only a few days. Slowly they started to change. Was laying around, didn't want to eat, and then got so they didn't want any attention and then would separate themselves from each other. Today my son found 2 of the 3 dead. Somebody better look unto this!!!! Something is horribly wrong here!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I have spent hundreds at the vet trying to figure out what is wrong with my cat. No vomiting or anything but so lethargic, sleeping in the litter box?? Peeing outside the box. Staying in one room. I am googling Friskies ingredients so I happen upon this site and yep this just started this food. Good deal from Amazon, $18 for 32 cans. Exactly when my girl got sick and my cans are 1167. We have to do something. I am going to write a review on Amazon to warn others and I believe we need to force Purina to recall. Hopefully this doesn't get deleted: **, please email if you want to do something about this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

My cats don't always like the cans of Friskies cat food I buy, sometimes my dog gets what's on the plate. I have noticed my cats haven't eaten very much the last few days, but my dog has. The day before yesterday my dog started throwing up. I thought it was because he didn't eat anything the night before. Now this is the third day he has vomited. My cats have vomited in the past but I thought it's because one of them ate too fast. I have fed my cats Friskies for many years but not anymore. I'm making my dog a vet Appointment asap.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

For the last month of my cat's life, I fed her 22 cans from a case of the Friskies Pate mixed flavors. She got sick and refused to eat it in early July. I started feeding her baked chicken and hamburger and beef soup broth and she recovered. Then I stupidly gave her the cat food again and within 3 days of starting it up again she died. She was old, but in a very good condition for her age--still agile and vocal at age 19 until the last dance with Friskies cat food. If I ever get another cat, it will be fed NO commercial food at all. You can't trust any of these companies to put pet safety over the almighty dollar.

And Purina, by the way, in 2015, I lost my 9 yr old golden retriever from a tainted batch of Beneful dog food as well as almost losing a 10 yr old sheltie from the same batch. I again, stupidly fed it to them when the colors in that particular bag were like neon. They were so unnaturally bright. God, I should have known. After keeping my sheltie away from any manufactured food since 2015, he is now still strong and healthy at age 14. Purina don't care.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I have many cats ranging from 2 years old to 14 years old. For 14 years I have been feeding them Friskies canned food and dry food. Two days ago when I opened up 4 new flats of 24 cans (4 different flavors) I noticed about 2/3 of the cats didn't want to eat the food. It was hot so I thought maybe they weren't that hungry. That night & the next day same thing- I kept switching the flavors around. I knew something was wrong because they LOVE TO EAT. So tonight I thought "maybe I should check online to see if anyone else is having this problem" and I hit paydirt. 3 of my cases are plant #1159 which many people have singled out as one of the offending plants that is making their cats very sick, but the other 2 cases are #1169 which no-one has mentioned (or I haven't seen it yet reading thru everything).

So far none of my cats have gotten really sick but I did notice softer than normal stool and pretty smelly. Shame of Purina/Friskies for not stopping something that has apparently been going on since April 2019. My cases came from CHEWY.COM. I will be sending them a note next! NOTE: flavors I bought were all PATE style: Salmon; Turkey and Giblets; Country Supper (all plant #1159) and Mixed Grill; Liver and Chicken (both plant #1169). BUYER BEWARE!!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I have a 1 year old cat and a 14 year old. I typically never give them wet food but I wanted to treat them. I got them Friskies Prime Filets Chicken and Tuna Dinner in Gravy and I gave them each about 3 tablespoons of it. A day or so later my 1 year old began vomiting repeatedly and it looked like there was blood in it. My 14 year old vomited only once. They both seem fine now but the only change has been the wet food. I've seen people talking about how this food can be poisonous and make cats sick. My food is batch number 1161 and I will not be feeding them Friskies anymore. It may be just a coincidence but I'd rather be safe and give them something that doesn't have such a bad reputation.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My furbabies had been eating Purina Friskies wet cat food and shortly after my purchase my 2 Senior started Vomiting and Diarrhea, sometimes missing the litter box! I heard about cats getting sick after eating this product, read some seriously bad reviews, I immediately stopped feeding them this garbage and I will be returning all unused products. Moving forward my cats will not be fed this garbage ever again and Once they stopped eating it all their symptoms have improved!!!

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information