2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Friskies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Hi, my cat is diabetic and there a few affordable options for wet food. I’ve tried Fancy Feast. Cat loves. Then decided to try the Friskies pack sold at Costco. Cheaper and larger cans. Cats been puking and not really eating much every day. So I’ve stopped. Back to Fancy Feast and no puking. Don’t think this is very good food for cats. I wouldn’t buy it again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

My cat has eaten Friskies pate canned food without problems over the past 2 years. Recently she has been vomiting every time she eats it. I wasn't sure it was the food until my daughter's dog came over and ate what was in the cat's bowl and he started vomiting. I bought Sheba brand and no vomiting! There has to be some kind of contamination or composition change with the recent lots.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Around the end of last year I fed Tasty Treasures to some foster kittens and they got horrible diarrhea. Very run down and sick. Luckily that litter all recovered and lived. I contacted Purina about the incident and they basically blew it off. I since had never fed tasty treasures again. I foster for a rescue and they had got a box of tasty treasures in. They gave it to me for my last batch of foster kittens. The kitten started getting diarrhea and a couple of them started getting very lethargic. I was giving them sub Q fluids, **, and FortiFlora to help with the diarrhea.

The fecal from from the veterinarian came back negative. Unfortunately one kitten got so rundown that I lost her. Didn’t dawn on me right away that it may be the tasty treasures again. One of the other kittens stopped eating and had watery diarrhea. Luckily we were able to save that kitten. The rest all recovered. They didn’t get as sick. Just the diarrhea but they kept eating. I once again contacted Purina and they are blowing it off. Will not answer me if Friskies is harmful to feed to kittens. I asked them 10 times and would never get a yes or no out of them. Please do not feed this to kittens. I believe there is something in it that is harmful to young ones. And now I’m seeing several all the reviews of people having the same issues with diarrhea and this product.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I have two cats. One is 13 and the other is 11 (both are spayed females). Both cats are in good health. After feeding my cats Friskies Poultry Platter (pate), Mariners Catch, and Chicken Shreds with gravy, (on different days) my 13 yr old cat started vomiting and developed diarrhea. The 11 yr old became lethargic and lost her appetite. When I switched to other brands (Fancy Feast, Royal Canin, Blue Mt) the problems went away. I purchased the cans (loose) from a local grocery store on different days over a two week period (May/June 2021). I have reached out to Friskies but, given the absence of a previous food allergy (or underlying medical condition) I am forced to conclude that it's something about the food itself that has changed. I only, recently, became aware of this page and that the issue may not be limited to my cats or even my region of the US.

Original review: June 2, 2021

For the past several weeks, I thought 8/10 of our cats were bored with Friskies. Even when I bought flavors they hadn't had in a while, 8 of them stopped finishing and would sit there and stare at me or eat a bit and go lay down. They lacked the luster of hunger when meal time approached, but were all otherwise fine except for getting diarrhea and vomiting from some of the cats that were out of character. 8/10 chose to starve instead.

I somehow made it to this page and read batch numbers ending in 1161 and 1159 causing these same sort of issues my cats were having. I bought Sheba cat food and what a WORLD of difference. My one cat who was acting the most lethargic during this Friskiest rut actually rubbed up against the box of Sheba after eating and his vocalizations for mealtime returned! I can't keep Sheba in stock at home and all my cats get antsy for mealtime again! Friskies uses meat byproducts that come from animals in questionable states of health..that's what wrong with Friskies.

Original review: May 24, 2021

My mother owns a senior cat. She is between 18 and 20 years old. Over the years we have had her on dry food for most of those years, sometimes giving her canned food but only as a treat or supplement to her diet. Recently however, within the last month or so she stopped eating the dry cat food (meow mix). We sometimes had to mix in the hair ball mix, which is normal for cats to cough up a hairball every now and then. But about a month ago she quit eating the dry (meow mix) so we decided to give her some canned food.

The first few cans were fine but she's picky and gets tired of the same. We tried turkey and gravy (all Friskies brand). She only ate the gravy and maybe a few pieces. Until we ordered a case of Friskies chicken and seafood Pate case, she had her variety. But she has either threw up the food or refused to eat it. After seeing all those other reviews, I had to add our experience. Yeah our cat is 18-20 years old but we have always been able to find something she likes. We have been lucky because we have taken her to the vet but she is ok. We won't be feeding her anymore Friskies.

Original review: May 16, 2021

I buy the 32 case of wet food (pate) for about a year now from Walmart in Ontario and then over the last week two of my cats have been vomiting and then vomiting and diarrhea.. We couldn't figure out what was doing it, it got to the point where they were not even attempting to eat the wet food, so even tho I had 18 cans left in the box I went to store and bought one can, came home, fed to them and guess what... no vomiting.

** my poor cats were getting to the point of dying because I never thought a company like this would give out contaminated food but in the end Friskies was killing my cats. And I have done research they have known this to happen but haven't figured out why and keep doing it.. I know my cats won't get nothing from the suffering they have caused but my review may help save the next cats when their owners google recalls and see this!! Never again will I buy this brand. I rather buy Great Value wet food which I fed for years and have pretty had non-issues.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I purchased the multi pack Friskies shredded food batch 1159. My senior cat normally does love friskies and all food but recently he hasn't. He has had bad diarrhea and gas and is now having difficulty breathing, my 3 dogs also normally steal his food and tonight all three have now been gassy and had diarrhea. I will never buy this product again and would not recommend it.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I have been using Friskies for about a year. I mix a little bit of it with dry food for 3 out of four of my cats. My other cat gets a special wet food for his stomach. This last box I bought (batch 1159) has been making my cats violently vomit! They all have been less interested in their food then puking all over my house. I have white tile and noticed the vomit had blood in it. I started researching what could be going on and noticed a lot of people have been having the same issue with Friskies Shreds. I am absolutely appalled they are keeping it on the shelves. They need to look into this and figure it out ASAP!

Original review: March 28, 2021

Friskies canned food ending in lot 1161. My normally healthy eager eater cat has liquid diarrhea, vomiting after eating. Luckily we were near when the diarrhea started (heard the unwelcome sounds of it pouring out of him), and realized his recent fussiness over food was probably food related. We do not normally buy Friskies due to all the crap in it, but my husband didn't realize that and our usually brands/varieties were not available. Reading the ingredients made *me* want to throw up.

Came here and was less than delighted to find I am not the only one whose cat was having this same reaction. At least I know to not use this food at all, and we will get our cat back on track and feeling better ASAP. FWIW, liquid diarrhea ends up looking exactly like a pee clump in clumping litter, so unless you see it happening, hear it happening, smell it happening, you may not realize that clump is liquid stool --- which may be how some cats get so sick so fast without any realizing. I think throwing this food away is the only option, as I'd hate to donate this to an animal shelter and make more cats ill. I will contact Friskies, but since they will at best send coupons for more of their awful food, it seems wasted effort other than putting them on notice cats are getting sick.

Friskies author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information