3.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 28 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

28 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I'm so disappointed to see the change in the labeling of Friskies Canned Cat Food. It is so difficult now to find the flavors of cat food that my babies like. It all looks the same now. I prefer the different colors so I don't have to search for what I'm looking for. I've used this brand for years. I'm considering changing brands due to this change. This is most inconvenient, and I'm not a happy customer anymore.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

For decades been giving my cats Friskies canned food. This year, they changed most of their labeling to generic level so that instead of recognizing a flavor you want, now have to read dozens of labels to find what you hope is the same flavor. Not working at all. Looking for other brands that make getting the right flavors easy. Friskies blew it!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Had an open can of food in my counter for about 6 hours went to feed my cat and took off the plastic lid. It was covered in mold!!! Lots of big fluffy mold liked it was months old. So I feed him another can thinking it was a crazy fluke. My cat's been vomiting for 3 hours. Now he's resting but won't leave my side.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have multiple cats. I fed Friskies dried food for years. Everything seemed fine. Suddenly my cats started becoming obviously ill. They began gaining weight, lethargy, bladder infections, gum disease. My Himalayan died at the age of 10 from heart failure. He was always healthy and suddenly he got sick and died. I didn't blame the food until my vet asked what I feed my cats. When I told her Friskies she said that the food had little nutrients and way too much sodium. Very little actual protein. She told me my poor Kitty's heart gave out and sodium exasperated his condition. He passed before his prime and I was devastated. Thinking it was a fluke. Just poor Boo couldn't handle the food I didn't switch. Then my other cat developed stomatitis. The vet said this is also due to the bad food Friskies. My other cat began getting recurring UTI. Again the brand of food to blame.

I finally switched food brands. My cats slowly began to heal. The one with stomatitis will never be completely cured. I lost one of my most beloved cats and nearly lost another. I suspect that the food also played a huge role in the death of my first cat as he too suffered gum and kidney issues. This food is not going to poison your cats quickly. Rather it slowly destroys them by being unhealthy with little nutrients. This food does not provide the cats with essential vitamins to keep them healthy. I may seek legal action. My cats suffered because this company lied about the benefits and quality of product. Nowhere does it say that the sodium levels can destroy the heart. Or the lack of protein will damage kidneys. Or the grains and sugars destroy teeth and gums.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My cat likes Friskies Seafood Sensations dry cat food. When I first got the cat, she wouldn't eat much of anything. I tried wet cat food and healthy dry cat food from Petco. It wasn't until I gave her some Friskies dry food that she actually dug in enthusiastically. I was so glad to find something she seemed to really enjoy! I've since learned that dry cat food is not very healthy for cats, that wet food is healthier for their digestive systems. This upset me because I wanted her to feel satisfied and enjoy her meals. I've learned that if you feed your cat dry food, you should encourage her to drink water.

Water helps the dry food move through the digestive system. Pet water fountains are recommended for this. So I got one and now the cat drinks water so much more often than she did out of a bowl of still water. They say cats don't have a high thirst drive unless the water is moving, like a natural body of water. All I know is she loves her pet fountain and I hope it's making the dry cat food flow safely for her. I still feed her wet food first which she never finishes, and then I supplement with dry cat food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Fed our three cats the Friskies cat treats and now all three won't eat their food. All three were healthy happy cats and now they cry all day for 'kitty crack' ( Friskies cat treats). Took them off and will not buy ever again. The GMO corn and glyphosate is killing cats. Hopefully our cats will recover on quality treats made without the poison. Warning: do not feed your cats Friskies cat food or treats. It is just another company that doesn't care if your cat dies. They want to get your cat addicted so you will 'have' to buy more. What a scam. Just like soda - addictive and changes behaviour and can kill!!

Original review: July 20, 2017

Quality of wet food has gone down - I live in a multi-cat home plus feed outside cats, have never had a problem with Friskies for nearly 20 years... until the last few months. My cats, even the outside cats, only pick at the food, the local possum doesn't seem to mind the change, but I'm tired of feeding him all the leftovers. I agree with previous unhappy Friskie server... the quality in the canned food has gone down and no longer appeals to my cats. The shredded stuff isn't really anything but filler. I'm looking for an alternative.

Original review: July 18, 2017

My cat ate the Salmon and came close to death. Vomited 4-6 times. She didn't move for 3 days. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. Unfortunately this happened over the weekend. Found a vet who would see her on short notice today (Monday). Still waiting for blood test results - but I'm almost certain she had food poisoning from the Salmon. When I cleaned up the vomit, I found 2 large hard leathery pieces of God knows what. Wish I knew someone who analyzes the content of these cans. I have been wanting to stop buying this food for a while now - this pushed me over the edge... No more canned Friskies. Read the book "Dead Pets Don't Lie" - quite an alarming eye-opener...

Original review: June 7, 2017

We have 4 (four) cats, some get dry FRISKIES, some get wet FRISKIES. I've bought it for YEARS, as long as I have had cats, it's always the best. The problem: At the same time that Friskies changed their LABEL, the quality of the food went WAY DOWN. IT'S watery and runny and unappetizing to my kitties. What did you and why did you change? DON'T EVEN TRY to tell me 'nothing' has changed! NOT going to buy anymore. Really sad you screwed up and made my life a little more difficult. Bring back the firm & tasty 'older' food?? I thank you! Cats thank you. Now I'm going to flnd a new canned food.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

This cat food is fine for one of my four cats, the other three (3) are extremely picky eaters. The remaining will tolerate Science, 9Lives or whatever is on sale at the time of purchase. One of the cats is close to toothless, but prefers to eat dry food much to my and our veterinarian's surprise. Being that he is close to toothless he is also the heaviest. My Siamese is the alpha cat and bosses the others around. She is constantly raising holy stinks and WILL NOT leave her siblings alone.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

My 18 yr. old cat is very finicky Friskies, and Friskies has a variety of flavors & blends that suit all his day to day moods! He doesn't have many teeth and the pate is perfect for easy eating. Friskies has the best nutritional value compared with the other brands.Overall, Friskies provides my finicky feline with quality, as well as healthy and a variety of tasty canned cat food!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Have used Friskies for 30 years and my cats have always liked it and have lived long lives (indoors). Sometimes tried another brand, but changing always gave at least one cat diarrhea, so years ago I gave up ever trying anything different. Why should I? My cats thrive on Friskies and my vet said it's fine.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Friskies is not the best quality on the market, but not the worst. I have a multi-cat household so cost is a consideration, unfortunately. Purina is owned by a huge corporation, Mars, Inc.. I really dislike supporting a big conglomerate, but my cats refuse to eat the better quality brands. They do eat high quality kibble not made by Purina or Mars (Royal Canin).

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

We use Friskies canned food varieties plus Temptations cat treats as our only dry food. (Very expensive but these 3 cats are spoiled rotten.) One cat is 21 years old and whatever we've been doing seems to keep the 21-year-old and 19-yr-old healthy.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My cats love Friskies cat food, both dry crunchy (seafood medley) and wet (almost all have been tried). And Friskies party MIX treats must be stocked in house at all times otherwise my cat starts knocking things over until she gets them.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

One of my go to brands is the Purina Friskies 7 dry cat food. I have three cats, all have different pallets. This dry food fits the bill on all three cats. It has 7 ingredients: chicken, beef, turkey, salmon, tuna, shrimp and cheese! All the flavors are there and keep my cats coming back for more. It is a great choice as my cats are all indoors and this is good for their muscles, vision, immune system and skin and coat. This brand is priced really well and sometimes will give you an extra amount in the bag for the great price of $3.87! I Love getting this brand, knowing my cats call for it in the mornings and night!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

On a average day I use 6 cans of cat food to feed the stray cats in my neighborhood and I also have 2 of my own cats. I use Purina Friskies all the time for wet food. I have tried many other brands and found they always liked the Friskies the best. The food is very juicy if using Fillets or Shreds and my strays like the Juicy. Sometimes I give them the Pate for a change but they clean up the plate regardless. The cans are easy to open and they have so many varieties and I always wash the cans and recycle them. I feed the wet food 2 times a day and also offer dry food all day!! I watch for coupons and cat food sales and find that the Purina brand goes on sale and I buy extra to stock up sometimes 24 dozen.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Lots: #63241161-L2446-0814 and #63201161-L2456-1254 and #63331161-L1900-1423. Happening at the factory where the boxes are packed. 3 different times and months apart, I have opened a box at home to find 3 or 4 cans that were crumpled/dented around the pull tab edges (risking botulism contamination). The 1st time -> I found visible contamination that was growing in a dented can. The 3rd time -> I noticed that each DENTED can was in the MIDDLE of PERFECT cans. Sooo it happened before the box was packaged and shipped. How many times are the stores being blamed when Friskies is risking the lives of our cats? See pictures for packaging details.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

My cat loves it. I have a slightly hard time finding it in the occupied Palestinian territories, but it is worth the effort looking for it. I only recently switched to it and am happy also because my cat does not have smelly stools. I recommend it highly.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

I have been feeding my cats Friskies (canned) for many years. Each cat has had his/her favorite flavor. The price is great, and I think that although it's important for cats to eat hard food, it's also important they have a good quality wet food to give them added nutrients and moisture to their diet. And Friskies fits the bill!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Cats (have several at any one time) prefer Purina cat foods over 9Lives brand. I also prefer the Purina Friskies foods - smell a little better (for cat food!), looks more like "food".

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I like the price and my cats (4) absolutely love it. Sometimes I would swear that they can read, for when I bring the bag of Friskies home, they get very excited and nearly go crazy. They love the different flavors (I buy one flavor one time then another the next time). I find that they will refuse to eat any other kind. The price is affordable and the food is readily available at all the local stores. My cats seem to thrive on it, all their coats are shiny and healthy. They are all very active and playful. I would recommend this cat food to anyone. It's a great deal and good for the cats, (and they love it!).

Original review: March 8, 2016

My 11 cats have been eating Friskies all their lives. All of a sudden, the last three times I have purchased it, they turn up their noses. I first thought maybe it was the "batches". The first batch came from WalMart. No. The second batch came from Pet Supply. No. The third batch came from Food Lion. No. So was the formula changed? What's going on. I have one formerly healthy cat that is now sick. Won't eat. Very lethargic. Going to the vet today. The others seem OK? Now I've read all the pans about Purina, I don't believe I'll be buying anymore of their products. I'm not sure that any cat food products are all that... but I don't know how I can prepare food for all them. I very much appreciated all the comments. At least I now know what to expect.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I've found that while Purina Cat Chow is good and kitties like it okay. The less expensive Friskies seems to hold their interest longer. They seem to actually LIKE the Friskies, while the Purina is just something to put in their stomachs out of hunger.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My husband and I have always had cats. Currently we are down to 3, Milo - a Maine Coon who is 32 pounds, Samson - a Maine Coon and Tabby mix, and Mokie - a Bombay who is 14 years old. The only brand and variety of dry cat food that Milo and Samson will eat is Friskies Seafood Sensations. We have tried much more expensive brands and Samson will go hungry for days rather than eat it. It keeps them healthy and happy so I am glad to buy it for him. Mokie loves it too but over the last couple of months I have noticed that he is less and less interested in dry cat food. I usually give the cats a can of cat food every few days to help with hairballs, but Mokie even did not like most of the canned food. I finally tried Everpet which is the Dollar General brand of cat food in pouches and Mokie will eat two at a time. I am so glad I found a brand that he will eat, it is distressing when an older cat begins to refuse food. Mokie is the first pet my husband and I got together and has a special place in our hearts because of it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

The Friskies was loaded with foreign substances. There were pieces of greenish black particles all through it. I found those particles in several cans of different flavors. I no longer feed my cats Friskies.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My kitties are very spoiled and will only eat Friskies. My sister-in-law's cats will only eat Fancy Feast. SPOILED ROTTEN KITTIES. The kitties are very specific in what they want and enjoy. I really had no idea that kitties can be that spoiled and that their taste buds could be that sensitive. Our vet suggested Science Diet, but again they turned up their noses. I had not an inkling that kitties could/can be such pains. When I was growing up for a cat to receive "wet food" was a treat and not a food that the kitty demanded.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Friskies pleases even the most finicky cats. My cats refuse to touch 9 lives and many other "name" brand cat foods. The only cat food they will eat is Friskies but they do not like the new "saucesations".

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information