2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Friskies Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My cats have eaten Friskies shreds canned wet cat food for 2 years. They used to love the stuff. I just recently bought another large box and noticed they basically refused to eat it. They ate a little bit but really seemed reluctant. They used to meow their little heads off begging for the stuff. I have used four cans out of the 24 pack and now 2 of my cats are vomiting. They are indoor, vaccinated healthy cats and I cannot think of any other culprit other than their food. I checked the internet only to discover all these similar reviews about batch numbers ending in 1159!

I checked my cans and sure enough, the number ends in 1159! I plan on returning and never using Friskies again. But it makes me sick that Friskies was aware of possible batch contamination but no recalls were issued. I really hope my cats recover. I have 4 and 2 are sick so far. They have had intermittent vomiting for last 48 hours or so. I plan on writing Friskies, but they will probably just send me some coupons!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

For about the past 3 months my cats have been getting sick. And my dog who will and always have eaten some of their food. I also had noticed that the label had changed on the liver and chicken. Have fed the wet food liver and chicken mainly for about 40? years. When I was a kid we always fed it to our cats. My cats have been getting sick with diarrhea and also frequently vomit back in their bowl after eating. My one cat is clinging for his life as we speak. The food with the chicken and turkey gravy seems to be the worst. I don’t know what has changed in the food but I feel my animals are being poisoned. Have tried different flavors of the food also. Some of the flavors my cats don’t even touch anyone more. I just loaded up on food at Walmart and I am returning it all. Very disappointed in what is happening to this food. It seriously should be looked into.

I was concerned over this and looked up online to see if there were any issues and I cannot believe how many people are finding the same thing. I never have responded to any products before but I do feel this is a very serious issue. I’m praying my cat pulls through this. Now I have to figure out what food to feed them but it is definitely not going to be this any longer. I kept using it because I thought it was other things causing the problems. Please for all the sake of all the cats that have been eating this food investigate this. Something is definitely not right and our animals are being poisoned. What changed?

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

My cat has eaten the Friskies canned poultry variety packs (pate, shreds, and meaty bits) for years without issue. Then in late December 2019, he began having daily problems with diarrhea and vomiting. The issue became so severe that we took him to the vet, and $500 in tests later the vet couldn't find anything wrong. They treated the diarrhea and nausea and sent us home to monitor him. Over the past week (once the meds ran out), the issue has started again. Nothing in his diet has changed, so I came here and was shocked to see how many reviews have been left by folks whose poor cats are experiencing identical symptoms. I checked our batch number, and sure enough it's the same one named in several posts here (ending in 1159). My cat is miserable and we're out $500 that we can't afford to lose right now, all because Purina has neglected to recall this product.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My 8 cats have always eat Friskies Wet Pate or Meaty Bits for the last 5 years. Loved it! Then about a month ago, I noticed that every single one of my cats were not eating it and would turn away once they smelled it. Has something changed within this food? I have wasted so much money on these cans that they wont eat for some reason. 2 of the cats will not even come looking for the wet food anymore. They just eat the dry food and move along which is very unusual for them. I've tried buying from Walmart, Tractor Supply, Food Lion, Fresh Foods, Dollar General, and Family Dollar. Also tried buying from 3 different towns!! I'm tired of wasting money on this food they wont eat. Can someone please give me an answer??

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Give serious consideration to the reviews submitted about Friskies wet cat foods. For several weeks, 13 of my 14 cats have been retching and throwing up after eating this food. I changed to wet food because I have several I am treating for kidney failure. I just recently read these reviews, and I take them very seriously because of what I have been experiencing.

Six feedings ago I started cooking the food before feeding, and all 13 have gone through six feedings with NO throwing up or retching. Even the kitties with kidney failure are no longer getting sick. I am still trying to bring the last kitty back to good health, but it is difficult since he is a feral and difficult to give fluids and medications. I personally will not feed any more wet foods without cooking first. My kitties are worth the inconvenience if there is a possibility it keeps them safer. If it helps others, it is worth sharing. The microwave works well for this, but get the food really hot to kill any potential pathogens. If just one more furry friend benefits from this, it is worth the post.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

The Friskies Pate Mixed Grill cat food 1159 has made my 2 cats extremely sick these past two days. Throwing up non stop with lots of diarrhea. Now very lethargic and dehydrated, they're still trying to recover from it. I have no idea what's in their food anymore and I refuse to feed it to my cats and have me worried sick about them. DO NOT BUY FRISKIES!!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have 5 cats. I have been feeding them the Friskies canned cat food for a few years. Recently, I felt as though I had to force it down their throats! They would only eat a little bit of it and turn away. They somehow much preferred dry food. But YESTERDAY, all 5 got sick, throwing up all over the place and all have been suffering from diarrhea. So today, I searched the web for some answers and found this website where every review is describing what I have been through! Batch numbers were the same for me: 1157 and 1159. Purina claims that there is nothing wrong with their product while cats are getting very ill all over the place. I, for sure, am done with this dangerous product! I'm NOT going to be making my babies sick! Now, it's off to Facebook to alert the people on my friends list! I've done enough "picking up messes" and mopping the floors for one day!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have 4 older cats who all grew up on Friskies canned cat food with no problem. Suddenly in the last 6 months or more they have been not liking the food. They may eat a bite then walk away. I go through at least 6 cans a day and throw away most of it. What happened? I am starting a new food that they like.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

We recently adopted a cat from the local shelter. He is very active and eats more than my other cat. We feed both cats Science Diet dry food and Fancy Feast each morning. Because of his appetite, we decided to try Friskies because the cans are larger. We made the change about a month ago. He was fine for the first couple days and then has had intermittent diarrhea and drinking a lot. We took him to the vet yesterday and were told that Friskies is “hot on the stomach” like too much fertilizer on the lawn. The vet gave us a probiotic to sprinkle on the food.

However, as I have read reviews on this site, I found that I had purchased a bad batch. I immediately threw 14 unopened cans away, and will never buy this product again. I’ll be using Fancy Feast, which I currently use, or a better product from here on out. Thanks to those who have reviewed this product before me. I’m thankful for the information and saddened that other animals have experienced this reaction or worse to Friskies wet food. Given this experience, I wouldn’t even rate this product as one star. It deserves a no star rating.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I have been buying my 6 cats pate canned cat food by Friskies. One cat has always refused to eat the soft food. Recently all 5 cats that do eat the Friskies pate have been throwing up after eating their soft cat food. They throw up the food and some weird foamy substance. It just occurred to me the only thing it can be is this batch of food. All of my cats are very young and healthy otherwise. Please don't let this bad food kill my family's cats or any other cats for that matter. There is something very obviously wrong here!

Not sure about Friskies?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information