2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Friskies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I noticed my cat wouldn’t eat the regular Friskies: pâté, shreds or other styles (in defense of friskies she wouldn’t touch 9lives wet foods either). I decided to try the Friskies lil’ soups and see if she liked them. The first thing I noticed is the ingredients (this is for the sockeye salmon):

1. Chicken broth
2. Chicken

3. Sockeye salmon (yes, there is actual chunks of salmon in it; you can see it)

There is no ash in these, no metals, the rest of the ingredients are normal things you find in our own foods. There are 8 ingredients total and one is vitamin B-1. This is just supplemental to whatever dry you feed. I give them to her in the evening, she has her little dinner when we eat dinner. I’ve not had any issues with her eating them, aside from one flavor she does not like: chicken and butternut squash. (You can try it, maybe your cat likes it. My little princess turned up her nose and meowed her distaste for it.)

In the small town I’m in, they are in the dollar stores in the dollar pet section. It is $1 per little cup, but I’m fine with it considering it has better ingredients in my opinion. During the day, I have always stuck with 9Lives daily essentials, I did switch to 9Lives indoor since she is my first ever indoor only cat. Hope this helps, whether it’s because they no longer like the other can type foods, or you simply want something better for your cats.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Seafood Grille is the Friskies brand cat food that our cats will eat - the only brand and the only flavor. I can't vouch for the health benefits of the food because we have one cat who is a tub of lard - he reminds me of the couch potato father from the "Married with Children" television show. The other cat we have is a very feminine female who is quite thin. They are brother and sister and their personalities as well as their body types are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We have tried other cat foods. This was not a good idea. After placing a bowl of some other, more expensive cat food in front of these two, they looked at the food, sniffed it, and then just stared at my son and I until we produced something else - their favorite and the only food they will eat: Friskies Seafood Grille. The price for a very large bag runs around $14.00 at a warehouse-type grocery store. It is definitely worth the money and worth our cats' happiness because we all know what cats are capable of if their humans do not keep them happy. ;)

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I admit I haven’t tried a lot of different brands of canned cat food. Cats tend to be fussy eaters, so I settled on a brand that they all liked (I only have one cat now, but used to have two or three at a time). Friskies comes in a few different formats and my cats all liked pate, which is a snooty label the manufacturer uses for ground cat food. I like this brand due to its wide availability, its variety of flavors, its convenient multi-packs and its competitive pricing. Despite my vet’s insistence that it’s unnecessary, I still provide a small amount of dry cat food, too. For this, I buy Iams indoor cat weight/hairball control.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I like Friskies because of the variety of flavors and cuts in their wet type of cat food, as for their dry brand food also variety to fit each cat you do have needs! I also like the wet type food because as far as I know I hadn’t saw that horrible, no-no word in the ingredients (gluten). I do not wish my cats health nor kidneys to be shut down because of the (gluten scare) we had years ago, after all, my cats are like my fur kids! Thanks Friskies!????

Original review: July 7, 2020

Our 18 year old indoor tabby will only eat Friskies Prime Filet Chicken with Gravy! After trying many other countless different brands & flavors, this has been her favorite, and only choice, for at least 17 years. It has kept her healthy & active all these years! Our other cats come running for Friskies Dry Cat Food Tender Crunchy Combos! When they hear the bag rustle, they come running & meowing!

Original review: April 8, 2021

I have been using Friskies for about a year. I mix a little bit of it with dry food for 3 out of four of my cats. My other cat gets a special wet food for his stomach. This last box I bought (batch 1159) has been making my cats violently vomit! They all have been less interested in their food then puking all over my house. I have white tile and noticed the vomit had blood in it. I started researching what could be going on and noticed a lot of people have been having the same issue with Friskies Shreds. I am absolutely appalled they are keeping it on the shelves. They need to look into this and figure it out ASAP!

Original review: March 28, 2021

Friskies canned food ending in lot 1161. My normally healthy eager eater cat has liquid diarrhea, vomiting after eating. Luckily we were near when the diarrhea started (heard the unwelcome sounds of it pouring out of him), and realized his recent fussiness over food was probably food related. We do not normally buy Friskies due to all the crap in it, but my husband didn't realize that and our usually brands/varieties were not available. Reading the ingredients made *me* want to throw up.

Came here and was less than delighted to find I am not the only one whose cat was having this same reaction. At least I know to not use this food at all, and we will get our cat back on track and feeling better ASAP. FWIW, liquid diarrhea ends up looking exactly like a pee clump in clumping litter, so unless you see it happening, hear it happening, smell it happening, you may not realize that clump is liquid stool --- which may be how some cats get so sick so fast without any realizing. I think throwing this food away is the only option, as I'd hate to donate this to an animal shelter and make more cats ill. I will contact Friskies, but since they will at best send coupons for more of their awful food, it seems wasted effort other than putting them on notice cats are getting sick.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Fed Butterbob and Julie Friskies Chicken and Salmon Shreds in gravy on Thursday evening, 3/11/21. They stopped eating and became very lethargic. Heavy discharge from their eyes. They didn't eat or drink anything for 4 days. Then Julie started drinking water. Butterbob started drinking again on day #5, Weds. but still died on Thursday 3/18/21. Julie's now eating but is a bag of bones from weight loss. Still very low energy. She usually eats Friskies Turkey & Giblets so, who knows how long she'll last. my top two suspicious cans are 03391157 L83680281 and 03391157 L83680155. Also, not ruling out 10461157 L54051219 Turkey & Giblets but I'd already fed them several of those.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I purchased multipack (48 cans, 3 flavors, shredded and bits type) of Friskies at Sam’s Club to give it a try. In the past, I was purchasing individual Friskies cans in the local grocery stores, various flavors of pate, shreds and bits and had no problem. After I started using cans from the multipack, my cat started puking everything right after the meal, often several times in a row until she could puke yellow liquid. In the morning I feed her with wet food and in the evening with the dry food. I use Kirkland brand dry food from Costco. My cat was taking dry food in the evening without problems and was able to hold it well.

I started searching on the internet about this issue, which immediately took me to the different websites stating that many owners had same issues as me using Friskies cans produced at certain plants. All cans I had in a multipack were produced in plants 1157, 1159, 1161. I do not know what is the reason, was something changed in the cat’s food production technology or something else, but my cat definitely had issues after I started using cans from this multipack. Cans were not expired.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Both of our cats came down with severe diarrhea (some actually bloody) and vomiting after eating Friskies shreds with batch number 1159 which others have posted as causing similar distress. An analysis of the feces revealed a high level of clostridium. Both cats have recovered but only after one was hospitalized for two days.

Friskies author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information