1.03/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Friskies

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

205 Friskies Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Friskies wet food (and dry food) for over 13 years. I have always wondered why they only eat the gravy and waste so much of the fillets or shreds (pate is sometimes okay). Today I poured the leftovers in the sink instead of the garbage can like I normally do. When I tried to mash up the fillets small enough to go down the drain I realized the fillets are like TOTAL RUBBER! I will definitely look for a better wet food (Fancy Feast is much better) and will never feed them Friskies wet food ever again.

Original review: June 29, 2019

My cat is almost 12 years old, I fed him Friskies Beef Shreds almost his entire live, since he liked that flavor the best.I knew something was very wrong when he started puking more and more. Then he refused to eat or drink at all. Then I saw bloody diarrhea. I panicked and took him to the vet who suggested I change his nutrition. At first I couldn’t believe that this food could have caused all of these problems. When I stopped feeding him the Friskies and started feeding him Royal Canin 12 plus... he miraculously made a rapid and complete recovery.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2019

My two cats love Friskies Surf and Turf hard cat food but they both run around like crazy and their feces smells utterly awful. I'm afraid I'm going to try another brand.☹️ So unfortunate, because they simply love it. I honestly don't even know which brand to even try. Sassafrass and Swishy are two year old females. Suggestions please?

Original review: June 20, 2019

We have 2 indoor cats and 3 outside we have adopted. Over the last month all have become sick throwing up and diarrhea. Trying to figure out what is going on we realized the food we were feeding them was the issue. Realizing the common denominator in this illness was the food we decided to research the Friskies canned food. Immediately the exact symptoms and experience was right in front of us through other's reviews. We immediately reached out to Purina Friskies and was completely shocked at the disregard for what is going on with their product and the denial that there is a problem.

I asked for a different supervisor 3 times and each was oblivious to the problem. I then suggested they pick up their personal phone and Google their own products because the reviews were stark and right in front of you for the world to see. Again they acted like they have never heard this and I was told anyone can put what they want on the internet. Well I can tell you I don't write reviews typically but in a life or death situation I feel it's my obligation to inform people that you are possibly doing harm to your animals with this product. Things happen and companies make mistakes that's understandable but to not own up to it and continue to put a dangerous product on the shelves is inexcusable... I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN. THEY ARE IN TOTAL DENIAL AND ARE AWARE OF THE SITUATION.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I've been buying these cans for years. I'm now buying the 12x can cases of Tasty Treasures with Cheese and with Bacon. In the past month, 1 of my 3 cats started refusing to eat it after vomiting a couple of times. Now in the past week the other 2 have stopped eating it as well. I Googled for recalls and happened upon this site. I'm in Canada. My cans are coded with "1161", not 1159 like others have reported. I let my sister know because she feeds her cats the same stuff. She has 1159 cans and barfing cats as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: June 15, 2019

Friskies wet cat batches 1157 and 1159, have made my feral colony sick and lethargic. I called them and informed them. They don’t care... They need to address this issue publicly... Purina is contaminated.

Original review: June 14, 2019

We had 4 cats Scruffy, Pusspuss, Fat Cat and Zorro. Zorro and Fat Cat refused to eat the Friskies can food. Unfortunately Scruffy and Pusspuss ate the FRISKIES can food. Within a half hour of eating the food we took scruffy to the vet because he was vomiting violently and was wobbly. He died. He was old so we thought it was just his time. BUT Pusspuss ate the same food. She too started vomiting and had diarrhea. We took her to the vet and she had to be hospitalized. She is still not 100% well. We still didn't attribute it to their food. Then 5 days later we feed all 3 cats a can of Friskies. Pusspuss immediately became ill and so did Zorro. That's when we knew it was the food. I will never ever use Friskies again. We lost our poor Scruffy cat, almost lost Puss and have a huge vet hospital bill.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I just adopted a stray cat and the vet says he’s healthy and fixed. He’s about 2 years old. So I bought Purina Friskies like everyone else did because it has been around for years and it’s affordable. My new kitty started vomiting immediately on the first can of white fish. I did a search and found this site and I am simply disappointed in what isn’t being done to prevent more pets from getting sick. This has been reported since April 2019. I recently purchased a 24 pack of Friskies pate and checked the bottom of every can and they are all ending in 1159, irregardless of the flavor. Best by April 2021.

I won’t be using Friskies brands anymore after reading other reviews. I feel this 24 pack should have been removed from the grocery store within the last 2 months. I just spent significant money with the vet confirming my cat is healthy and free of diseases such a feline leukemia only to trust a company by its name and have my cat sick anyway. BUYER BEWARE. Please open the box on your 24 and 32 packs and if one can has 1159, they all probably do and leave it be!

Update: I was going to blast Purina in here. Instead, I decided to call for myself in spite of some of the reviews. I called Purina to report this cat food issue and make them aware of this site. After being on hold, they were extremely helpful. Purina says the number 1159 is a plant number not lot #. The whole number is 91021159. So Purina says the number 1159 is a plant in Nebraska and the rest date. All 24 cans are from the same plant 1159. Purina offered a refund immediately, no questions. Please call and report 1159, 1157 or any others. Be sure to get your refund. Purina will notice if it’s significant refunding.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have fed all my cats Friskies for years. Last October 2018 I lost 3 cats in less than 4 weeks. I believe the new Friskies had something to do with it. I will never use Purina products again. I wish I could give them zero stars as that is what I think they deserve.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a 14 year old cat and a 9 week old kitten. I give them both a primary wet and dry food daily (Soulistic wet food. It is amazing.) and rotate secondary brands because my 14 year old can be picky. I tried Friskies Meaty Bits in Gravy. It has been a week. A few days ago my kitten's hair started falling out in patches. My first thought was allergies, and I assumed it was a young kitten ringworm situation since my older cat was perfectly fine. Then day before yesterday the kitten started vomiting. Then yesterday my older cat started vomiting and looks so sluggish, I got scared. Thankfully I feed my cats a variety of foods or they could already be worse off than they already are. I am still monitoring them, but just found this page filled with terrifying reviews for this brand. This batch is also 1159. Friskies should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I recently had a horrible experience with this brand. I have 3 cats which 2 of them are kittens! I feed them with high quality dry food and I give them Friskies canned food just once a week. 4 days ago I started to provide wet food along with dry food. As a result, all of them were eating mostly this wet food for 4 days. The second day the one which was eating more wet food began vomiting and having diarrhea. The 3rd day the other 2 got severely sick. Throwing up 3 times and diarrhea. They were perfectly healthy indoor cats. I'm taking them to vet tomorrow. I hope some cat lover sue this company.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Just some background before getting to the nitty-gritty of the problem: We have had cats as part of our family for more than 50 years. They have thrived on Friskies and all have lived to between 16 and 19 years of age. Currently, I have a mama cat and her 5 babies who are now almost 5 years old. We didn’t know the sweet, starving, abandoned cat we decided to call our own had kitties stashed somewhere. We found them one morning sleeping with her in the box we set out for her on our covered deck. We estimated they were about 2 months old & trapped them so we could get them to the shelter to be spayed & neutered.

We worked with the babies as best we could, hopeful they could be tamed and go to good homes. But they were too long without human contact. They are sweet but semi-feral. I can handle them, pet them, pick them up and they are allowed into the back of the house - kitchen, family room. The kitties have warm beds on our covered deck but are predominately outside cats. So they are very, very hearty.

When it came to feeding, we naturally turned to Friskies canned cat food since it was the brand all our previous cats had liked and done so well eating. And all 6 of these cats just gobbled up the wet food and were wanting more. That is until about a month ago. Mama cat was the first to start throwing up as soon as she walked away from her empty bowl. At first, I thought she was eating too fast; then I blamed myself for giving her too much food, so I cut her back some. Still the problem existed. Two weeks ago she and the kitties started refusing what food was put in their bowls. They’d eat a few bites and walk away. And when I was weeding the other day, I was seeing lots of other cat vomit in the weeds and in the soil. And yes, I thought I noticed something different about the food every time I opened cans - it seemed to smell different. I dismissed the thought and likely should not have done that.

So I googled a query and found this website. The numbered runs of 1159 & 1157 mentioned in other posts here are in my cat food larder so I won’t be giving them that food. I cooked some chicken thighs for their dinner tonight and will supplement that with a can of sardines. Don’t know what to do about their morning meal. I’ve always relied on this brand of cat food to provide for the nutritional needs of my cats which it did well and at a reasonable cost. But now I am VERY concerned and I will be reporting this to the manufacturer.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I been feeding my rescue cat Friskies for about 3 years, all of a sudden he has diarrhea and pooping all over my house. He doesn't appear sick but he will smell the food and now walk away. Batch 1159.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Used this product for years without a problem, but this batch made three cats dangerously sick. One lucky cat refused to eat it which was very strange at the time, but it’s the only one that didn’t get sick. It must have recognize it as being bad. That particular cat always has a ferocious appetite which made it very strange that it would not eat it. Two cats have somewhat recovered after 4 days, but a third cat is still very sick. For the most part he refuses to eat but when he does eat, vomiting follows what little he did eat.

Two other cats that did not eat any of this food and are not sick at all. This rules out a contagious illness. I will be Sending these cans of food out for analysis to several labs. Had I not checked around and found this website with stories of other cats getting sick from this Friskies brand, I would not have known what was making them sick. Thank you all for posting. I hope that Friskies is monitoring this and let us know the truth about what is going on rather than someone finding out too late. I will update this post soon.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Do not buy this product!!!! My happy healthy 1 1/2 year old cat ate a can of their product after eating it for ages for breakfast and a few hours later just died on my floor. He became extremely sick and in the few minutes it took me to find a 24 hour emergency vet he howled his last howl and gasped his last breath. I'm infuriated! 1 star is beyond what they deserve!!!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I believe we are another victim of these rotten "1157" and "1159" batches. ("1161" maybe?). Back on December 25, 2018, one of my cats got really sick, vomiting and later diarrhea and refused to eat after that for a week and was feeling lethargic at all time. Considering the Christmas to the New Year time frame, this was a real NIGHTMARE. Two vets didn’t find anything after a series of blood and feces tests and thank God she started to feel back to normal after a week and got her appetite back. Even from the beginning, I was sure there was something with the food. I was suspicious of both “Chicken and Tuna” and “Turkey and Cheese” cans. And now I am hearing about these 1157 and 1159 batches, as I gladly saved the remaining of that week’s food, guess what? 1159! I am very furious. I really want to know what kind of legal actions can be done against these evils.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We have used Friskies for years. In Dec 2018 we had to send one of cats to the bridge, she was so sick. My other 3 cats have been vomiting and now wont eat. My dog use to get a spoonful of the Friskies mixed into his food and started to have seizures, now on meds for the rest of his life. My cats are inside cats only. I live in Canada and when I phoned the company they blew me off. They don't care. Canada does not have recalls for pet food so they are getting away with this. In the past 2 weeks I have spent over 3000.00 on vet bills but nothing is showing up. Looking for lan to test this food. Please don't use this food.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I've had numerous trouble with Friskies and Fancy Feast giving it to my cat SPECIFICALLY ON THE LABEL 100% NUTRITION. First problem I had was I put the wet food on a plate 5 years ago. Come back to see 30 minutes later uneaten and fly larvae all over the food protruding out. Chalked it up to a bad can. Next time years later was broken can in a box again. Suspected shipping then found few cans months later. Cans unsealed properly, no dents. Obviously threw them out. Few cans upon opening suspected mold, strange discoloration. 6-8 months from 2-3 days ago she wouldn't eat the food half the time unless it was covered with gravy sauce hiding the actual scent of the CRUDE products. LOW QUALITY yet 100 nutritious.

Next thing I know she was slowly starving. I've tried everything to keep her alive myself. Vets cant help with the severity of these problems. She slowly died withering away so badly by the way that she got nasal infections, eye problems seeing and mucus, staring at walls half there and 1 week to her death her bone were touchable literally through her skin. Still alive. No muscle fiber at all and couldn't walk. Started having seizures. Couldn't hold her head up or close her eyes!

After she died so suddenly I read FDA WARNINGS Friskies numerous time. Mainly people had cans 1157 1159. Rendering plants using euthanize meat in the food, viral bacteria, mold, failure to follow proper canning methods. GUESS WHAT'S TRENDING ON YOUTUBE? People daring other people to eat cat food! If this isn't a human health risk it is now! Even if these cans are stored in a fridge with your HUMAN FOOD BTW MIND YOU is still a human health risk. I DIDN'T KNOW EATING DEATH WAS 100% NUTRITION with no cause for human concern when stored in a fridge for human food after opened. She died so horrible. It's still on shelves. Hopefully with my review the USDA will now be involved 100%. No question, immediately, no need for complaints. Just based on storing cat food in a fridge with human food.

Along with a YouTube trend of daring to eat cat food how many actual people have died now? Or have suffered from food poisoning unwittingly. Needs to immediately stop and HUMAN REGULATORY INSPECTIONS! Contamination spreads in fridges! Numerous people are using Facebook as a complaint site. Humans handle this food when feeding their pets. It's a human risk to the fda.gov. Dont lie nor do the independently owned laboratories. Please remove from shelves and stop distributing these FDA warned tainted products humans handle! It is a human health risk.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I stayed with a horrible ex boyfriend just so I could afford enough quality cat food for my cats. Meanwhile, the late great grumpy cat was fed Friskies by her very greedy owner who made ** from her deal promoting Friskies. Poor grumpy cat died at only 7 years old from a UTI. The crud in Friskies surely ruined her health. Do not feed your cats cheap crud like this. And you have money and are being this cheap, shame on you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been a loyal Purina Friskies user for years and have had very few problems with the brand, until now. I have a 3.5 year old kitty who, very suddenly, got extremely sick over the weekend. She went from being a happy, healthy feline to being bright yellow with liver levels through the roof. After her ultrasound came back clear, I've been looking everywhere to try to figure out WHY my baby has gotten so sick.

Last night I came across this consumer reports page where there are TONS of recent reviews of cats getting sick and/or dying after eating Friskies. Various reviews mention wet food batches # 1157 and 1159. I checked my cabinet this morning and, sure enough, the cans in there are from batch 1159. I have reached out to Purina to put in an official inquiry but also wanted to add my two cents here. Please be careful with this brand and if you have one of the batches listed discard it immediately. Don't take the chance.

Right now I have vet bills piling up and I'm just doing my best to make sure my cat lives, but I honestly don't know what the outcome is going to be yet - as of today, things aren't looking good. I sincerely hope Purina is going to take the necessary steps to get the contaminated food out of stores ASAP. In the meantime, I am changing my cat's food IMMEDIATELY and doing what I can to help my sick kitty get through this.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Both of my cats are ill after eating Friskies Liver & Chicken Dinner Pate, purchased in a 32 can case from Walmart. I came online to see if there were any recalls and found others having issues with cans from batch #1159. One cat is lethargic, the other cat has been vomiting non-stop since feeding last night and had to go to the vet for fluids. They are inside cats and there is nothing else that could have made them sick this fast.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Cat has been throwing up multiple times a day, just got to the point of it being too much and something is definitely wrong. Of course I switched her to Friskies this past 2 weeks! After reading all the other horror stories on here, she will not eat this product EVER again. I will be returning it to Sam's Club and spending more money on better food. My cat is my child and it kills me that I have been poisoning her with this garbage! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have always fed my cats a small treat in the evening of canned food because they primarily eat dry food during the day. About 3 weeks ago I purchased 4 cases of Friskies canned pate chicken and liver and started feeding it to them. Everything was fine for a few days and I noticed that they were eating less during the day and wouldn’t even finish the small amount of canned food I gave them. I had no idea it was the food so I continued to feed it to them. Friskies has always been what we purchase because it is a reasonable price and I have 12 rescued cats to feed.

I have had to take two cats to the vet for diarrhea and vomiting, and I have 4 there’s that are slightly feral that I cannot catch to take and they are all very sick and have lost a lot of weight. I stopped feeding them this food over a week ago and they are all still sick. So total I have 6 sick cats from this food. The other 6 lost interest in eating the food early in and that really should have been my red flag!!!! I am so disappointed that I have read so many reviews about this particular lot number on this canned food and so many kitties have gotten sick! Why doesn’t someone do something about this? They are killing our babies! The lot number on my canned food is 9042-1157 L53931319 - I think the last # is a 9 but I can’t make it out.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My two cats have loved Friskies wet cat food for years and up till last week were eating fine, then abruptly lost their appetites and starting having diarrhea. Both are strictly indoor cats and my entire house is cat proof and safe so I know it's their food. I checked the cans and the lot number were 1159 and 1157 just like other people had complaints with. I have stopped feeding Friskies and cooked them some boiled chicken breast with some plain white rice in the broth water and the diarrhea has stopped so far but they still don't really have an appetite. My boy used to love dinner time and be so excited and now has hardly much interest in food and that is not like him at all.

I am NEVER feeding them Friskies or anything by Purina company again! I will be switching to a healthy brand and reporting this to Friskies and they better be doing something about it because I'm not letting this go. If anything serious is wrong due to their cat food I will consult legal action because my cats are my babies and I put my trust in their cat food to be safe not harm them. If this food is fed to a senior or sickly cat it could kill them. My opinion is PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM FRISKIES!

Original review: May 4, 2019

We are currently fostering 4 kittens and we were given a case of Friskies Mixed Grill to feed them. We mixed the food with formula to wean them to food and one of the kittens spit out a black piece of plastic. I was like wtf?! So I look through the rest and saw a bunch of black specs throughout the food. Then we decided to carefully look through the can and found more black plastic along with hard chunk of metal. Idk what the hell is going on in the processing plant but this is serious! Thank god that kitten spit that piece out. She could have choked or gotten very sick. Needless to say we are not using this poison anymore. However it saddens me to think millions of animals are eating this food and owners not even realize what's in it. Back in 2015 someone else mentioned finding black plastic in the food which is scary to think this has been going on for years! Stay away from this crap!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been feeding my cats this food for nearly 20 years. All of a sudden a couple of month ago, both of them seem to not want it. Both of them were barfing after barely eating any, one was getting diarrhea. They don't want to eat any of the flavors any more. I have been throwing out so much food lately, it's ridiculous! What did you do to the food? I use to divide one can into 2 meals, twice a day for my 2 cats. They won't even eat a 1/2 teaspoon of the stuff now, even the favorite flavors they won't touch. I've had to switch to a different brand because this has become such a waste of money, 3/4 is going into the garbage. Sorry Friskies... but we are no longer a fan of your products. Very disappointing!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have three cats, and for years I have been feeding them the Friskies Dry Cat Food. Their favorite has always been the red bag called 7 Favorites. Suddenly they will not touch it. Not at all. Did you change something? It's sad to see the cats hungry and not eating. Now I am in search of a food they will eat.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Fed cat Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, product #1159. She stood in front of us and lifted her left front foot in a position like she was going to pounce. Her foot was stuck and started to shake. Then her left foot popped up and started to shake. We held and comforted her. This happened about two hours after she ate. She wouldnt eat it or another can different flavored Friskies food type same 1159. She is still lethargic but eating people food.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Two of my three cats need powdered medicine in the mornings, so they have to have some wet food every day. I have been using Friskies canned shreds and pate for 2 weeks after old brand, Whiskas seafood varieties, was discontinued. Everyone barfing, someone has started peeing on the dining room rug, and my boy who poops outside the box d/t constipation is now worse than ever. I'm cleaning up huge messes every day. Stopping this food and trying something else.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I’ve fed my cats (2) Friskies Buffet shreds & gravy meals for 10 years. Then about 2 months ago the 13+ yr old started having major diarrhea, took him to the vet. She tried antibiotics, probiotics, and a few cans of a prescription diet... His diarrhea started to slow, but now that he is back on Friskies it's back. Last week my 10+ year old started mucous vomiting and diarrhea. Tomorrow we are buying different cat food. Something changed with the formula and it's making these precious cats sick.

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information