1.38/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

106 Friskies Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been purchasing Friskies canned wet food for several years, specifically the cans of Chicken in Gravy and various variety packs of Meaty Bits and Shreds. However, this past week, I purchased a Chicken Lovers 32 Can Pack that was clearly contaminated. First, my one short-haired tabby seem to display symptoms of urinary blockage (i.e., would not allow me to pick him up, loss of appetite). I took him to the vet and after an overnight observation, was told that everything was fine with his urinary tract but that he lacked an appetite. The cost: $200 (although the health of my cat is priceless). Then, the next morning my orange tabby became extremely ill. Puking, diarrhea, and a lack of appetite. And my long haired cat also would not eat. All three cats have become lethargic, barely eat (wet or dry food), and continue to have runny stools. I am hoping they recover in the next week. It has been very stressful.

The only reason I know it is the canned food is because my fourth cat only eats dry food and is fine. I have read other recent reviews with similar stories about cats becoming seriously ill from Friskies canned, wet food. I am not sure what is going on, but I hope that Purina looks into this serious contamination issue. How many cats have to get sick before there is a recall? I have contacted Purina with this information: The UPC code is 50000-29453. The Best Before date is October 2020. The Manufacturer Code is 1159-1559L978310.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

One of my cats began throwing up daily, then after every meal. We changed food, took her to the vet for $600 worth of normal test results to no avail. Finally, after 1.5 lbs lost, the vet prescribed antibiotics. After a few days, the cat was back to her normal self, but our other cat got sick. We reintroduced the Shreds and both cats got sick again. I think some contamination has occurred. I've reached out to Friskies and am awaiting a reply.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I've been feeding my cats dry and wet Friskies for years. Around a month ago, one of my boys started getting frequently ill vomiting/bloody diarrhea. Later I took him to the vet for a costly visit and was prescribed meds for IBS. I asked if I should look into changing his diet, and they originally said that shouldn't be necessary. Fast forward a month, I open up a can of extra gravy filet and the next day his symptom's return in full force with more excess vomiting and diarrhea. I once again go to the vet to get blood work done, and when the results return the doctor tells me that my boy's liver value is almost triple what it should be! He immediately advised me to change his diet, and now that I look at all of these reviews it seems like it is a big possibility that Friskies has made my cat very very sick costing me over $600 in vet bills.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have two adult cats. After eating Friskies Pate they both got diarrhea, and vomited a lot. I took the male cat to the vet/doctor and this cost me $435.00 dollars. And the cats hate the medicine that the Vet prescribed.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have four cats and have fosters many others. Feeding time was never an issue till this year. Gravely disappointed with both 9 lives and Friskies cat food. It almost seems as if they are produced out of the same factory. Never had a problem until about a year ago. My cats aren’t eating any of the pate any more. Two of them are constantly hungry begging for something else and throw up often.

I switched to the small cans called Tasty Treasures with cheese and also the cans with gravy added. The consistency is very runny and doesn’t resemble the smell or consistency of meat anymore. You can be pretty darn sure that there is only subpar byproducts and chemicals squished into those cans. The animals can’t get much more than one meal out of one small can. Where’s the meat? Interesting how the small gravy cans aren’t offered in a more economical large can. These companies are hoping you’ll switch to the small cans filled with fake gravy so they can make much more money per soggy scoop!

Come on you guys. How can the heads of these companies sleep at night knowing the degree of chemicals and other additives that are added to our fur babies food. At about 60 cents for a small can of mostly fake gravy, how can we afford to keep our pets healthy. My advice is to voice your concerns to these companies if your cats become ill on their chemically laced products. I also believe that there are most likely appetite stimulators that increase the cats desire for food, costing the consumer more.

Is there some start-up company out there that can offer an affordable cat food that our cats can be safe eating? That standard was the norm years ago. Now seems to be more of a buyer beware marketplace. The bar has been drastically lowered. I’m both sad and disgusted by these corporations lack of compassion for our amazing pets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Our two indoor cats have been eating Friskies canned food for six years with no problems. Within the last month, they're turning up their noses to almost every flavor. We're tossing over 50% of the product lately. Did the recipe change? I'm seeing many similar comments on Friskies pate of late, but we feed them shreds.

Maybe it's time to go to the competition?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

So my cat loves cheese. I find Friskies has a wet canned food 3 diff flavors all with Cheese in them. I only feed him 1/2 a can in the morning and the other half at night due to he gets Natures Choice Grain free mixed with Iams High Protein grain free bag for bag into an airtight container to last him most the month. I then purchase his 9Lives which he has been perfectly fine with but my vat gets cheese as a snack with his dog sisters and loves it. So this was the whole big reason I decided to purchase the Friskies with Cheese!!

Yesterday Tuesday Nov 6th he got his first can and seemed fine. Then today Wed Nov 7th at 8:30 am gave him half of his 2nd can. By 10:30 am he's vomiting all over so much the poor guy gets dry-heaves!! So I immediately get online to see if there's been a recall or something I should know about this food!! I find MANY MANY sites like this telling of HORROR STORIES of people's PRECIOUS PETS getting seriously sick or worse yet dying or having to be put to sleep due to this company, I don't know about anyone else but I am making sure the BBB and ANYONE & everyone I can about this!! I will not feed this crap to any animal. It will go into the trash!! Do NOT BUY!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My cats have always loved a fresh can daily, and snacked on it all day. Now they only nibble at it once and won't return to finish it. After a couple of hours it starts to stink up my whole house. What's up with that? I went to store and bought a couple of single cans (same brand) to see if the same thing happened, NO! it did not. So, something is wrong with the production of the 48ct case. Maybe the cases are sitting in the warehouse too long or the stores are not rotating their stock. BEST BEFORE; APR 2020 8096 4749 09:37 LO4 8127. I'm not saving money buying by the case, if I'm throwing out 3/4 of a can a day. Now I have no choice but to throw out the remaining cans in the trash (10). SAD.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I’ve been feeding my two older cats Friskies can pate for years and the past two years have been purchasing the cases of it at Costco, which comes in packages of 48 cans. My cats have had some loss of teeth (incisors) and hair loss in patches which I’ve attributed to old age and being indoor/outdoor. Vet checkups are clear of diseases or other illnesses. The last several months of feeding them their nightly can of wet food they’ve occasionally turned their noses up at it (it’s usually the Mariner's Catch or Salmon Pate - Mixed Grill seems fins) and left in their bowls.

Last night my daughter fed the kitties a can each of Salmon Pate. Both kitties took a couple nibbles only but left the rest in their bowls. Usually I scoop out and dump in rubbish, but had evening plans and forgot. This morning my husband commented angrily why did I let the cats' bowls get gross and moldy!? I figured he was being dramatic and not wearing his glasses at the “moldy” comment so I walked into the laundry room and sure enough both cats bowls were like Science Petri dish experiments!! In less than 12 hours of being opened and sitting in their bowl, the entire can of wet food was absolutely furry with mold! I’m taking back the whole case as I just bought it this week and request a refund. Now I think my cats' problems may be related to this wet food brand! My oldest cat has no incisors so can’t eat the top quality crunchy food we buy and needs can food. This brand has gone downhill in the last few years!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My 4 cats have eaten Friskies canned Pate food for years. Starting a couple of weeks ago, they have either turned their nose up at it or had diarrhea/vomiting. After reading these other reviews with similar problems, I am switching. I wish pet foods were held to the same standards as human foods!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had 3 cats in our household & all have been fed Friskies canned wet/dry cat food. 2 cats died of a mysterious allergic reaction that caused hair loss, tooth loss, weight loss, vomiting, bad breath & diarrhea - the 3rd cat was very sick w/ the same symptoms. We tried a variety of products including Purina Sensitive Stomach for our remaining cat without improvement until we settled on Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Skin & Stomach. She improved significantly. Not putting 2 & 2 together, I happened to find a leftover can of Friskies while cleaning & decided to give it to her for a "treat". Within a couple of hours, my cat had a 4" x 2" area on her neck where all the hair was gone, was red, inflamed & oozing serous fluid.

She was in obvious pain & I was afraid her airway was going to swell shut. I was able to treat the area with steroids & the area has healed nicely over the last 2 weeks but the hair has yet to grow back. I immediately got rid of any Friskies food that was left over. Now I have to question if I had a hand in the death of our other 2 cats by feeding them Friskies food. There can be no other explanation for what happened to the other 2. This product should be removed from shelves and banned. I would have given a negative rating if I could have... I did take a photo of her neck if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I am so glad I found this website and saw others were having the same experience with Friskies canned cat food (in my case, specifically, Poultry Platter Pate). I've been feeding my 2 cats the Friskies Pate for a couple of years and they were OK with it. They also get Royal Canin kibbles (Selective Protein or something like that!). They love the Royal Canin. Over the last year, I have been throwing out at least 50% of the Friskies because my cats would not eat it. A couple of times, I wouldn't put anything else out thinking they were just being fussy cats. Now I feel horrible.

The last batch in particular has really made my cats sick. One is very lethargic. Out goes all the Friskies on hand. I don't know what to try next. I can't afford the better, more expensive canned wet food brands. But then again, with the amount of Friskies I have thrown out, I've been spending the same amount on the Friskies as I would on a better brand where I didn't have to throw out 50% of the cans! How does Purina get away with selling this food that is making our cats sick??? They obviously don't care.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

For years I have fed both my cats a tablespoon of Friskies Pate in the morning. They have Royal Canin SO dry all day. Several months ago they both starting throwing up. First it was the older cat who is 13. Everyday occurrence! Then the 9 year old. I initially thought hairballs. I tried Fancy Feast after getting some free cans and all throwing up stopped. I am grateful that I didn't feed them a larger amount after reading other reviews.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Our cat has been eating this brand of food for almost all of her 12 years and loves it. She turns her nose up at more expensive brands. We noticed recently that all the flavors in the 5.5 oz cans have less meat and more gravy. We suspect that Friskies is recently trying to boost their profits.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Poultry Platter Pate, Turkey and Giblets Pate I KNOW are toxic. They favor the non-fish ones - Supper Supreme, Mixed Grill, Country Style Dinner, Beef - all Pate style. I have been feeding my cats Friskies wet cat food for several years. But then both my cats were getting sick fall of 2017. I had a suspicion it might be their food. I looked for a recall and found some negative reviews on Amazon of their dry food so I switched their dry food to a super premium Acana which they love.

My cat Annabelle started getting EXTREMELY sick in April 2018. She was puking, diarrhea on the carpet multiple times a day, hiding under the bed, lethargy, sneezing, and weight loss for a little cat. The poop had blood and lots of mucus in it and smelled foul. I took her to the vet and he dismissed that it could be food. I did a round of antibiotics with her. She felt better, then after she was off the meds she got sick again. We started another round of antibiotics, but was getting sicker, so we added in 2 more antibiotics. One of which was super expensive and tore up her stomach so badly and made her worse, as well as she was so sick and not drinking water or eating. She became seriously dehydrated and I had to take her back to the vet for IV fluids. She was pooping gray cement colored diarrhea that the vet had never seen before.

We finally got her stabilized on steroids and a probiotic. Again, as soon as I took her off meds she got worse. Each time she was "getting better" I was reintroducing the Friskies. I took her to the vet multiple times. The blood work was fine. Recently, we took Romeo off **. He had been losing weight due to unknown cause and couldn't figure out why so we put him on a different appetite stimulant. He starts getting sick with exactly the same symptoms as Annabelle: diarrhea with blood and mucus on the carpet, gray diarrhea, lethargy, hiding, puking all the time, dehydration. Foul smelling puke and poop. Obviously gastrointestinal issues from the stomach (puking) all the way through to the large intestine (red blood and mucus poop). So both my cats were off **- a strong pain steroid.

I realized that last Sunday was exactly when they both got sick and that was the exact day I gave them both Friskies Poultry Platter! I search for a recall, but found this site. I had been suspicious before and pulled the Friskies, but this confirmed it with both my cats so sick. The ** had been helping them with the pain of being so sick in their guts and covering up why Romeo was losing weight.

I immediately put them on Blue Buffalo wet food as well as ** again and they started feeling better. We also included probiotics. The bad thing is we don't know what the hell is in the toxic food - bacteria? toxic chemicals? salmonella? e coli? aflatoxins? Luckily, I have figured it out in time to save my cats. Friskies has poisoned my cats and cost me hundreds in vet bills and have nearly killed my cats. Romeo has lost 5+ lbs and Annabelle has lost 3 lbs. Romeo has been sicker longer, which is why he was losing weight. His gut is very sensitive, so he lost weight early.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Well I opened up a can of Friskies' "Mixed Grill," this morning for our cat and set it down for him to eat. He ate half of it, so I picked up the can to stir remainder, in the can and I found what looks like two lengths of "aluminum wires," inside the can, so I'm not sure if our cat ate any of it or not. We'll be calling them today with our findings. Mainly it's an F.Y.I. for people who buy Friskies canned food, it's a good idea to stir the product up first to make sure this doesn't happen to your pets!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My dog is 130 lbs and ate no more than a spoonful of the Mariner's Catch Pate. Two minutes later, she dropped on the ground and stopped breathing. We did CPR on her to no avail and she stopped breathing. Tongue turned blue and she wasn't moving or responding. Thank God, my husband got behind her and put his arms around her to do CPR because we were finally able to get her to breathe again. She was dead for at least 2 minutes before we could resuscitate her. Got her to the hospital and her liver enzymes were highly elevated. Could have been an allergic reaction, could have been something in the Friskies. She's alive, but that bite of Friskies cost us $1,300.00.

Also, our older cat stopped eating this food and is now a skeleton. We had to bring her to the vet, thinking it's cancer or something and the vet didn't know why she just stopped eating. Got a prescription wet food for her and she chows it down. Another $800.00. All the Friskies in our house got thrown out. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have 2 cats that are indoor only that I've been feeding only can food to per recommendation of the vet for the last 3 months & they were doing great previously, eating great, no problems with appetite or otherwise until about a month ago they both started refusing the food when I changed food brands & started feeding them Friskies brand. Most recently what I noticed most issue with is Friskies Pate 32ct variety pack Poultry favorites. I bought other variety packs just prior & I've been throwing most of it away & thought they were both being picky about the flavor & figured they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

They were both eating but very little, I would open a can in morning & another can in evening & end up discarding at least 1/2 of a 5.5oz can twice a day because it sat out too long. Yet previously on other brand (same amt of food) they would eat at least 2 full cans during the day between the 2 of them & at times I'd have to give them a 3rd can & I very rarely had to discard any food because they ate it quickly enough so it didn't sit out & go to waste.

After 2 weeks of this going on with them barely eating & kinda turning their noses up at the food 1 of them Millie Lou starts vomiting what appeared to be bile or liquid. A few days later the other cat Frankie began vomiting the same thing then also any food he ingested. Frankie also keeps crying out several times throughout the day as if something is wrong especially very late at night & his meow sounds different like hoarse sounding like something may have either scratched his throat or made it raw is best I can describe it. He keeps trying to get outside to eat grass for his upset tummy (the only time he ever tries to get outside is because he's craving grass for an upset stomach) so to keep him from trying to run outside I pick some grass for him & bring it inside to him & beyond the Friskies wet food, the grass (from my personal front yard - no chemicals of any sort is on it) is the only thing he's eaten this past month.

Both cats had started eating better BUT they were vomiting. I didn't realize the food might be the cause of this upset tummy of both my cats (& initial food rejection that I misinterpreted as being picky due to food change) until 2 nights ago when I opened a can of the Pate Poultry platter & as I was spreading it out on the plate for them (I spread it out across the plate rather than dump it I to a bowl to make it easier for them to share it which enabled me to see more of what was in the food) I saw a few small black specs at first then I saw several larger black pieces of something that I first was thinking might be as innocent as fish skin BUT due to fact it was Poultry platter & not a seafood dish, fortunately, I decided to touch it to make sure. So I touched it, noticed it was hard then picked it out of the plate & as I looked closer realized it was a hard piece of PLASTIC!

There were a few pieces of a big enough size to gag a pet, cut their gums, intestines, etc. Then there was more tiny pieces mixed in that were the size of black pepper when it's freshly ground at a medium to large setting all blended in which may not cause discomfort but certainly can't be healthy! And although upon looking at list of ingredients later for the poultry platter, fish was listed therefore it could have been skin, it most definitely wasnt skin & plastic definitely wasnt on list of ingredients! I started thinking back that saying about hindsight being 20/20 & recall seeing black pieces in previous cans I opened & chalked it up to skin of fish & never thought enough about it to check it further because it's pet food & stuff like that is in there & now I wish I'd have taken the time to THINK & Realize I was feeding my cats Poultry not seafood like I did the other night.

I placed that can on top of the plate of food & put it in a storage bag & put in refrigerator in case I needed it for any reason to be checked by anyone such as the vet, etc. After that, I couldn't help but think maybe it was the food making my cats sick because if plastic was in food that could make them sick in itself or there could be something else wrong so I started looking online in effort to see if anyone else had same or similar issue & found on here where others had issues with not only their cats getting sick with vomiting, etc. some even dying. Cats refusing the food like mine did initially (I feel awful for forcing my cats to either eat it or go hungry because I thought they were being picky). But I even found where a few people found the exact same thing I found. PLASTIC in the can food!

1 woman in particular found black hard plastic such as I found in same exact variety the Pate Poultry platter & states that the company told her they hadn't had any issues or complaints with any such thing & even if that was the case, it has to start with a first complaint! Someone has to go 1st in everything so maybe she just happened to get the 1st can with this plastic. My can with it came in a 32 count variety pack purchased at a Walmart can itself says Best by May 2020 81341157 L63741139. I now have majority of case of cat food that has to go in trash because can't return partially used case of food for refund & I'm on very limited income as I wait for a disability decision.

Hopefully the vomiting & crying of my cats will stop once that bad food & any plastic I may have missed is completely out of their systems. Hopefully neither of them have any blockages! Those pet parents that saw blood in their cats' stool or vomit, you should ask your vet if it could have possibly been caused by hard plastic in the food they ate. This is way too ridiculous & Purina / Friskies needs to recall this food & if you plan to keep operating fix the problems. Don't slap bandaids on them, so no other animals are harmed! We love our furbabies. They're irreplaceable! Some of us depend on our pets to be here for us as much as they depend on us to take care of them & feed them food that won't make them sick or worse!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I have been rescuing and fostering cats for years, and have had more than I can count. Friskies has always been my food of choice for my cats They love the turkey and giblets especially. That seems to be the most popular for the widest range of cats. When I get a can that is extremely moist and has juice in it, it is eaten readily by all cats. However, every time I buy a can or a case I am taking the risk that I’m buying cans of food that no longer have that excess moisture and liquid. Those cans of food are completely wasted because the cats don’t want to eat them. Because I buy in such large quantities, that ends up being an extreme amount of waste.

It’s very frustrating and I just wish they would find a way to consistently pack food so that it would remain moist in the cans regardless of how long it has been on retailer shelves. Readily I all cats. However, every time I buy a can or a case I am taking the risk that I’m buying cans of food that no longer have that excess moisture and liquid. Those cans and cases of food are completely wasted because the cats don’t want to eat them. It’s very frustrating and I just wish they would find a way to consistently pack food so that it would remain moist in the cans regardless of how long it has been on retailer shelves

Original review: June 27, 2018

We have multiple cats indoor and outdoor and they all love it. Perfect size and variety of flavors. Not too dry, not too moist. The perfect crunch for my cats.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have 3 finicky cats who disagree on even the most expensive (store bought) food but they all love this brand and all of the varieties. It is a fair price and most importantly my cats are healthy.

Original review: June 15, 2018

A few days ago I wrote customer service regarding crushed and leaking cat food cans. Since that time company have chosen to ignore complaint. Yesterday I opened a 4th 32 count case of cans and again more damaged cans. Some leaked so bad I had to throw away many of the cans. The smell was disgusting. Something needs to be done. I'm an 82 year old that feeds many cats. I cant afford the waste.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Friskies gravy sensations poultry favorite pouches - My cat has always loved this food. Choosing it over hard food. This box, this past week he will not eat it. He has not been as active. I offered the turkey, chicken and beef packets. Best if used by Mar 2020 8083 4749 12:05 L10 A 8094. Purchased last week from Wal-Mart, Florida.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I had our shopping cart just about filled with Friskies canned cat food which when I got my first cat, years ago, was told it’s a very good, high quality cat food. Back then (in the 90s) it was a high quality product. A woman saw us filling our cart with Friskies but walked away after grabbing some other brand of canned cat food. She came back a short time later and identified herself and shared what she learned about Friskies! She said she just had to come back to tell us what she learned because she had to let us know what we were feeding our furkids could make them extremely ill or even kill them. She shared her own personal experiences with Friskies and told us about other cat parents' devastating experiences. She told us horror stories about cats getting deathly ill, vomiting food, vomiting blood, bloody urine, stools, diarrhea...some recovered after their food was changed, and survived. Others weren’t as fortunate.

My cats started turning their heads away from the food, even trying to bury it!!! One of our boys suffered from terrible gastric issues! He came close to death!!! Needless to say, we changed what food we feed our furkids. Since we did, our boys are looking and acting much healthier! Our cat with the equivalent of IBS in humans, no longer has gastric issues! Purina needs to be investigated and forced to close down until they are prepared to market a healthy product!!! Even if that does happen, I will never trust Purina which happens to be owned by the Nestle Corporation.

Original review: June 11, 2018

All of a sudden, my 22 year old cat is refusing to eat Friskies Turkey and Friskies Chicken cat food. I have another cat who is 10 years old. She won't eat them, either. I put it in her dish and she comes up to her dish, smells it, and hisses at it and walks away. Did their formulas change? They have no problem with any of the Friskies seafood dinners. I usually split the can between the two of them at night and they have Iams dry food on demand. Now it seems they will refuse the Friskies poultry and eat the dry food instead. I guess I'm going to have to take it back to the grocery store where I got it and exchange it for Fancy Feast. Bye, Bye Friskies!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've been feeding my cat, ever since she was a kitten, the little Friskies. I'm not sure what they've done to change the ingredients, but I had to have my cat euthanized on June 8th, 2018. My cat awaken me with five desperate meows at 4:45 a.m. Saturday morning. Wednesday the 6th she was fine playing with me chasing each other back and forth. I clean out the litter box Wednesday night because trash pickup was on Thursdays, when I went down to clean out her litter box Thursday am, she hadn't gone to the litter box. I checked Thursday, pm I notice just a little bit of a urine. June 7th, she ate her food and she kind of just laid around. Kind of kept her distance, she doesn't go out in the grass but I have a deck she usually goes out and she wouldn't walk out that door she stay close to me but wouldn't jump on the sofa with me until it was time to go to bed.

We have a routine. She jumps up at 10 p.m. I know that means for me to get her a treat before she goes to bed. I wake up at 4:45 turn desperate cries. I take her to the emergency room and bottom line is I she never made it back home with me. She was only 5 years old healthy, beautiful Calico. The vet said it was sepsis infection throughout her body. We've been to the vets her checkup and Shots, there were no problems. No feline disorders or anything. At the emergency room her x-rays were normal, but her blood work and a white cell blood cell count everything was off, low blood pressure, low heart rate. She was in shock and logic and in critical condition, I held her in my arms as they euthanized her.

To the makers of this product, to the Nutritional experts, perhaps there's something wrong in the distribution of how it's handled, or the making of this product, but somewhere along the line, and somewhere along the way something is wrong. My complaint is like so many others that I've read. The similarities are too connected. Please look into this matter. Now all have is a house full of pet toys, bowls and imprint of my precious friend's paw.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I brought our new rescue cat home about 6 months ago. I stocked up on Friskies canned cat food. I didn’t know which kind to get but Friskies should be fine. He refused to eat “crazy concoctions “. Ok. He reluctantly ate shreds and bits and pate. But if I fed him over a couple of spoonfuls at a time he would consistently vomit. I figured that he was just that way. So I fed him 4-5 times a day to keep it down. While browsing the web I came across some customer complaints for the same thing. I didn’t believe it, but on the outside chance, I switched to 9 Lives. Bingo. That was 2 weeks ago and he has not vomited at all. Even fed him whole cans at a time. (He likes that). I was stunned. How is this possible? I have no idea but the proof is in the puke. Now I feel guilty for making him sick. I do not write complaints. Ever. But this is critical. Our pets can’t tell us so we need to be vigilant.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had some sickness in my cats the last year using Friskies Shreds, Meaty Bits, etc, and I have to blame their food source. Tonight why my voracious neighbor's cat turns his nose up to a fresh helping of Bits chicken, I have to say something must be wrong with that food. I am not tolerating a food source that cannot be depended upon for 100% purity. I am tired of having sick cats, diarrhea, bacterial infections, and am changing to another brand besides Friskies.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I run a rescue and ordered several cases of Purina Friskies 13 oz. Poultry platter canned cat foods. I ended up having to throw them out because I found MANY black plastic pieces in the cans. They were all different sizes and shapes. When I contacted Purina they said they hadn't heard about this problem before and would check into it. But when I checked online I found that there were MANY complaints about thick black plastic pieces pet owners have found in their Friskies canned cat food who have contacted the company also.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We have fed Friskies Pate to our cat for years. Beginning at mid May, he began vomiting and was lethargic and no appetite. Went to vet. rx with **. No cause found, Still won't eat much. Losing weight. Today we gave him Fancy Feast and he chowed it down but still won't eat the Friskies Pate. It seems like there is something wrong with the Friskies Pate!!!!

Friskies expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Friskies is a company that manufactures cat food products and other assorted pet items, under the umbrella of its parent company, Nestle Purina. Founded in 1965, Friskies continues to be one of the most famous names when it comes to giving cats something delicious for dinner. They are committed to nutrition, pet food quality and safety, pet welfare and sustainability.

• Fifty-plus varieties: Friskies offers over fifty varieties of cat food, so pets will never get bored.

• Dry and wet food: Friskies offers their furry customers both wet and dry foods to appease even the pickiest of palates.

• Wide selection of treats: With their Pull 'n Play and Party Mix treats, cats have endless choices when it comes to treats and rewards.

• Indoor formula: Indoor cats have different nutritional needs, so Friskies provides cat food specifically for cats that stay inside the house.

• Cat games and apps: Not only does Friskies make food and treats, they also develop apps and games just for cats such as the popular Cat Fishing 2.

• Best for: Young cats, older cats, indoor cats and cats who need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Friskies Company Information