1.97/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Hills Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

92 Hills Cat Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I realize that many other posters have had trouble with this prescription cat food, but my cat was prescribed it after having a bad bout of cystitis. He has never had it recur again and he loves the taste, and won't eat anything else. So my experience has been very positive.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a Persian male, rescued from outdoors, looked for an owner because 1) He was a Persian and 2) all 4 paws were declawed. When I brought him to a vet and had his health checked, the vet estimated his age to be about 2 years. I had him for 20 years! He did have a urinary tract issue, which is common in male cats, at which time I switched him to C/D and then he was fine. He was healthy happy and friendly all his long life.

I now have a Female Persian who is 13yo (not declawed) and has eaten nothing but Science Diet dry food, she doesn't eat much canned food or treats. She started on kitten, then went to the next age group Hairball control and now eats mature 7+ Hairball control. She's never had a problem. In fact, I recently brought her to a vet because she wasn't eating. She had blood tests, urinalysis, x-rays. All came back fantastic. Turns out she had a cold and her tiny Persian nose was was clogged so she couldn't smell anything. If cats can't smell it, they won't eat it. Antibiotic for the cold and she's back to being her self. I stumbled on this while looking for a new store to get my cat's food because the places I've been going to are closing down. I wrote this review because there were so many negative ones. I don't think people are getting both sides. I will only buy Science Diet, that's what I was looking for in the first place!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My three cats (ages 1, 5 & 7) all eat Hills Prescription C/D Urinary Care cat food and are healthy, active and happy cats. Only one needs it, he had a urinary tract infection and the vet suggested this food. But the other two cats won’t eat the other food anymore (they love this stuff) so it's our only cat food now (both wet & dry).

Reading some of the complaints here they strike me as disingenuous, and incomplete. Since when does ANYONE switch a cat over to another food immediately? EVERYONE knows (or should know) cats are far more sensitive to switching foods than dogs (dogs eat anything). You MUST slowly introduce any new food over a period of a week or more and even then you expect (finickiness, stool issues, etc) some issues until they are used to it.

To those who said CD “killed” their cat - how old was the cat and (reading between the lines) it sounded like those cats were already pretty old or very sick, so how do you associate this food with your cat’s death? That is not a fair assumption to make, it’s not fair to us trying to research this feed or to the manufacturer either. Also, to the one who states cats don't eat vegetables, and so there should be none in cat food, PLEASE! The NUTRIENTS in vegetables are still suitable for cats to consume and utilize. Yes, cats don't on their own eat carrots, or peas, but there are nutritional components in them they can digest and need.

It always bothers me when reviews contain only half the story or written from an uninformed viewpoint. When reading anyone’s review of anything, ask yourself 1) does this sound complete 2) what critical details that may affect your decision are missing, 3) does this person seem to be frustrated and looking for someone or thing to blame? 4) ALWAYS REMEMBER unsatisfied customers leave more negative reviews than satisfied customers leave positive ones! And never take only one review too seriously, even this one. Do more homework!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I took my cat in and vet suggested Hills Metabolic Dry Cat Food. He was required to have bloodwork beforehand. Bloodwork came back great. Two years later we had to him him euthanized for diabetes. He was fine before - I believe this cat food killed him. By the way, he was never fed table food. Nothing but Hills.

Original review: May 19, 2019

My male cat was put on this food 8-9 years ago after experiencing a severe blockage in his kidneys from crystals. He has not had a crystal problem, since. But, I have noticed he has lost weight every year when we take him to the vet for his annual wellness check. He is 12 years old. He also would vomit the food up at least once every other day. It was stain the white carpet with how heavy it was on coloring using their red dye.

I put both my cats on this food, my other cat will eat anything and I thought if it’s good like my vet said, "what’s the issue". Recently, my male cat who was originally prescribed this food, was throwing up more. Not so much hairballs, but just the food. He would throw up so hard he would make these very loud, almost scary noises. Then, just a few days ago he went and started hiding under the bed, he wouldn’t drink or eat. Had diarrhea. We took him to the emergency vet (mine was booked) and did blood work. He wasn’t having a bladder issue. Blood work was fine.

Vet mentioned that he should have a ultrasound done to rule out pancreatitis and possible enlarged lymph node in intestines. We talked about the food and I mentioned how he was throwing up a lot. I noticed another thing during this time. My other cat wouldn’t eat the food. The same scoop of food sat in the bowl for 5 days until I threw it out. Both cats never had issues eating this food until all of a sudden. I purchased a human grade cat food at a local pet store and today he ate his first dry food in 5 days. He also hasn’t thrown up in a week. He hasn’t had the food!!

I have read nothing but awful things about Hills Prescription diet, and I no longer trust the company after all the recent recalls, and deaths. I hope to see my cat get better day by day. Hope he gains some weight (I could see his ribs) and is happier being taken off this garbage. Look into Carna4, and Pure Vita, brand like them. They also make urinary type foods, too. Yes it’s a bit pricy but maybe $5 more than what you’re paying for the c/d anyway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: April 4, 2019

My 6 year old cat developed a UTI, she had blood in her urine, no crystals, no blockage. So she was put on Hills S/O food. Within a few days she was vomiting it back up all yellow, I would find puddles of yellow corn like vomit everywhere. I finished the bag and switched her back to her other previous food and bam! All the vomiting stopped, as well as her peeing outside the box. I think this food is absolutely trash and money grabbing, it’s just like feeding your cat cheap food. I would honestly research alternative cat food if possible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Started my cat on the dry food from November 2017 to June 2017. He lost so much weight, I could feel his ribs. He never had medical problems until he ate this food. Now I am dealing with kidney problems and thyroid problems. He will be on medication the rest of his life. Please, please do not use any of their products.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Due to my cat suffering from cystitis, the vet put him on a prescription diet (Hills Urinary Care C/D). I purchased a few boxes of the cat food from the vet and a few more online. Ever since giving my cat the prescribed wet food he didn't like eating it. I thought that he was fussy and only today due to working from home and the snowy weather (he usually goes to a toilet outside rather than using a litter tray) I realised that he had a serious diarrhea. That explains why he didn't want to eat this food in the first place - it was making him unwell. Vets should be warned about the dangers of this food on cats' health. I will be visiting the vet today to let them know, check the cat's health and find an alternative food.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I opened my can of wet Hills Science Diet kitten food, liver and chicken entree. Mixed in the food was this hard piece of something. I fished it out and rinsed it off. It looked like a piece of rubber or something organic about 1 inch by 1 inch, tubular in shape. Definitely a choking hazard. The lot code was W2050352 6600.

I'm glad I found it before my kitten did.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had 5 cats, one had cystitis so vet put him on CD feline prescription food. Gave it to all my cats. Caused runny poo in 3 of the 5. Was on autoship with Chewy.com. The cat that it was prescribed the food passed away before I could cancel the final food shipment. Opened that bag last week and I noticed my cats ate less and less daily. Two of my cats started vomiting with diarrhea this past week. The only change was the new food bag. Apparently it is tainted. Chewy will refund the money and was given a reference number and a telephone number to call M-F during business hours so I can speak with a Hills representative. Going back to the vet tomorrow since one of the two cats is still ill. Not a fan of this overpriced product!!!

Hills Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information