1.94/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Hills Cat Food

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Hills Cat Food Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I realize that many other posters have had trouble with this prescription cat food, but my cat was prescribed it after having a bad bout of cystitis. He has never had it recur again and he loves the taste, and won't eat anything else. So my experience has been very positive.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a Persian male, rescued from outdoors, looked for an owner because 1) He was a Persian and 2) all 4 paws were declawed. When I brought him to a vet and had his health checked, the vet estimated his age to be about 2 years. I had him for 20 years! He did have a urinary tract issue, which is common in male cats, at which time I switched him to C/D and then he was fine. He was healthy happy and friendly all his long life.

I now have a Female Persian who is 13yo (not declawed) and has eaten nothing but Science Diet dry food, she doesn't eat much canned food or treats. She started on kitten, then went to the next age group Hairball control and now eats mature 7+ Hairball control. She's never had a problem. In fact, I recently brought her to a vet because she wasn't eating. She had blood tests, urinalysis, x-rays. All came back fantastic. Turns out she had a cold and her tiny Persian nose was was clogged so she couldn't smell anything. If cats can't smell it, they won't eat it. Antibiotic for the cold and she's back to being her self. I stumbled on this while looking for a new store to get my cat's food because the places I've been going to are closing down. I wrote this review because there were so many negative ones. I don't think people are getting both sides. I will only buy Science Diet, that's what I was looking for in the first place!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My three cats (ages 1, 5 & 7) all eat Hills Prescription C/D Urinary Care cat food and are healthy, active and happy cats. Only one needs it, he had a urinary tract infection and the vet suggested this food. But the other two cats won’t eat the other food anymore (they love this stuff) so it's our only cat food now (both wet & dry).

Reading some of the complaints here they strike me as disingenuous, and incomplete. Since when does ANYONE switch a cat over to another food immediately? EVERYONE knows (or should know) cats are far more sensitive to switching foods than dogs (dogs eat anything). You MUST slowly introduce any new food over a period of a week or more and even then you expect (finickiness, stool issues, etc) some issues until they are used to it.

To those who said CD “killed” their cat - how old was the cat and (reading between the lines) it sounded like those cats were already pretty old or very sick, so how do you associate this food with your cat’s death? That is not a fair assumption to make, it’s not fair to us trying to research this feed or to the manufacturer either. Also, to the one who states cats don't eat vegetables, and so there should be none in cat food, PLEASE! The NUTRIENTS in vegetables are still suitable for cats to consume and utilize. Yes, cats don't on their own eat carrots, or peas, but there are nutritional components in them they can digest and need.

It always bothers me when reviews contain only half the story or written from an uninformed viewpoint. When reading anyone’s review of anything, ask yourself 1) does this sound complete 2) what critical details that may affect your decision are missing, 3) does this person seem to be frustrated and looking for someone or thing to blame? 4) ALWAYS REMEMBER unsatisfied customers leave more negative reviews than satisfied customers leave positive ones! And never take only one review too seriously, even this one. Do more homework!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My 8-year-old Ginger cat was overweighted, however, the annual blood test and half-year check were fine for the past 7 years. Then local vet recommended Hills Metabolic cat food Weight management for him to lose some weight. After ten months, he lost 2 kg and weak on joints. Now the vet diagnosed Diabetic on him from the extremely high Blood Glouces Level. I understand that it might be an individual case depend on cats but please consider before you feed your cats.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Today I took my cat in to the vet to get his nails clipped like I do every 6 weeks and before leaving saw some cans of Hill's k/d near checkout I hadn't noticed before. I asked about cost for a can or two just to let my big boy kitty possibly try some because he likes to have new tastes here and there. I ended up buying a large can of the kidney care (k/d) wet food and also a small can of the Digestive Care (i/d) wet food as well. I opened the large can of kidney care about a half hour ago to feed my kitty and to my surprise saw this off-whitish small glob right on top of the wet food which I have to say looks like a loogie of spit which is completely disgusting. I immediately tried to reach my vet's office where I bought these cans today to ask if this is normal to expect on the food but they close early Saturday and I just missed them.

Then I thought I should look online to see if anyone else has posted any other information similar to my situation or if Hills website offers any insight to what this "thing" is sitting right in the middle of what was supposed to be kitty's lunch but found nothing regarding this issue. Now what I did see was many many many other types of serious issues addressed by pet owners regarding declining health or rapid sickness which sound like are due to this Hill's Brand Dog and Cat Food (wet and dry food). These reviews are very serious issues that I feel no pet owner should have to be dealing with as well as no pets of course.

Most importantly these issues shouldn't be caused by any pet food company regardless especially one like Hill's which states they use quality safe ingredients that apparently help various health concerns when it clearly does the opposite, hurting many innocent pets who are just trying to eat a good healthy meal or in my case can't even try the food because it has some nasty glob pressed into the wet food which is God knows what. All these "top notch" claims by the company as well as vet's offices nationwide support of sales seem like nothing more than false advertising or uneducated belief of this being as great as it states... Because if these heartfelt sincere stories I have read on this review thread here today were read by those who make and distribute/sell these items then maybe it would force this company to stop making food that makes animals so sick, even to the point of killing them!

All it should take is the entities whom support this company really stop and read or for God's sake listen to the various stories just right here regarding this brand of food and its correlations to many dogs and cats health issues after consumption, then I would like to think that would at least affect how much of these products are being sold by vets offices or pet stores at least until this company makes some serious changes that are of benefit to our pet's health instead of hurting them. I know this is a big hope I express but dang it, why is it ok for any pet food maker to mass produce God knows what that makes so many animals whom eat it very unhealthy or even die in some cases or have recalls left and right or let random things get into the food that shouldn't be in it whether it be what I found in my can today or the black glass type grounds found mixed up in another reviewers doggies food...

Why is this continuing without any progress to healthier standards or safer practices from all the consumer complaints or outreach? Hill's denies any issues repeatedly and only addresses the minimum when it has become a recall. Companies who choose to not listen to what their customers enjoy or immensely dislike and continue to make unappealing or bad goods will not stay in business very long. It shows already as many of your once customers have stopped purchasing any Hill's products and have instead found a much better food that doesn't cause sickness like the products by Hill's are causing. Those customers and now myself, a potential regular customer are now getting our pet's needs handled elsewhere or will be instead.

I personally don't want to take any chances with losing my kitty by feeding him something bad. I mean the first can I buy has something foreign on it that looks way nasty which is instead going to be fed to my garbage disposal. I really hope Hill's can turn this situation around instead of saying nothing is even a problem each time a pet parent contacts them to ask why their pet is say dying from the bad food they have eaten... And instead took each call with serious concern the way each should be. My heart goes out to all of those that reviewed and I also thank you for each one as well as each supplied some insight to why I should just dump both cans I purchased and to seek out a better brand for my buddy to eat. One more thing... If anyone else has seen the same cream colored thing on their cat's wet food upon opening can you tell me? Thank you in advance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: June 7, 2019

I took my cat in and vet suggested Hills Metabolic Dry Cat Food. He was required to have bloodwork beforehand. Bloodwork came back great. Two years later we had to him him euthanized for diabetes. He was fine before - I believe this cat food killed him. By the way, he was never fed table food. Nothing but Hills.

Original review: May 19, 2019

My male cat was put on this food 8-9 years ago after experiencing a severe blockage in his kidneys from crystals. He has not had a crystal problem, since. But, I have noticed he has lost weight every year when we take him to the vet for his annual wellness check. He is 12 years old. He also would vomit the food up at least once every other day. It was stain the white carpet with how heavy it was on coloring using their red dye.

I put both my cats on this food, my other cat will eat anything and I thought if it’s good like my vet said, "what’s the issue". Recently, my male cat who was originally prescribed this food, was throwing up more. Not so much hairballs, but just the food. He would throw up so hard he would make these very loud, almost scary noises. Then, just a few days ago he went and started hiding under the bed, he wouldn’t drink or eat. Had diarrhea. We took him to the emergency vet (mine was booked) and did blood work. He wasn’t having a bladder issue. Blood work was fine.

Vet mentioned that he should have a ultrasound done to rule out pancreatitis and possible enlarged lymph node in intestines. We talked about the food and I mentioned how he was throwing up a lot. I noticed another thing during this time. My other cat wouldn’t eat the food. The same scoop of food sat in the bowl for 5 days until I threw it out. Both cats never had issues eating this food until all of a sudden. I purchased a human grade cat food at a local pet store and today he ate his first dry food in 5 days. He also hasn’t thrown up in a week. He hasn’t had the food!!

I have read nothing but awful things about Hills Prescription diet, and I no longer trust the company after all the recent recalls, and deaths. I hope to see my cat get better day by day. Hope he gains some weight (I could see his ribs) and is happier being taken off this garbage. Look into Carna4, and Pure Vita, brand like them. They also make urinary type foods, too. Yes it’s a bit pricy but maybe $5 more than what you’re paying for the c/d anyway.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My 6 year old cat developed a UTI, she had blood in her urine, no crystals, no blockage. So she was put on Hills S/O food. Within a few days she was vomiting it back up all yellow, I would find puddles of yellow corn like vomit everywhere. I finished the bag and switched her back to her other previous food and bam! All the vomiting stopped, as well as her peeing outside the box. I think this food is absolutely trash and money grabbing, it’s just like feeding your cat cheap food. I would honestly research alternative cat food if possible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Started my cat on the dry food from November 2017 to June 2017. He lost so much weight, I could feel his ribs. He never had medical problems until he ate this food. Now I am dealing with kidney problems and thyroid problems. He will be on medication the rest of his life. Please, please do not use any of their products.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Due to my cat suffering from cystitis, the vet put him on a prescription diet (Hills Urinary Care C/D). I purchased a few boxes of the cat food from the vet and a few more online. Ever since giving my cat the prescribed wet food he didn't like eating it. I thought that he was fussy and only today due to working from home and the snowy weather (he usually goes to a toilet outside rather than using a litter tray) I realised that he had a serious diarrhea. That explains why he didn't want to eat this food in the first place - it was making him unwell. Vets should be warned about the dangers of this food on cats' health. I will be visiting the vet today to let them know, check the cat's health and find an alternative food.

Hills Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information