1.98/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

91 Hills Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 27, 2019

I realize that many other posters have had trouble with this prescription cat food, but my cat was prescribed it after having a bad bout of cystitis. He has never had it recur again and he loves the taste, and won't eat anything else. So my experience has been very positive.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a Persian male, rescued from outdoors, looked for an owner because 1) He was a Persian and 2) all 4 paws were declawed. When I brought him to a vet and had his health checked, the vet estimated his age to be about 2 years. I had him for 20 years! He did have a urinary tract issue, which is common in male cats, at which time I switched him to C/D and then he was fine. He was healthy happy and friendly all his long life.

I now have a Female Persian who is 13yo (not declawed) and has eaten nothing but Science Diet dry food, she doesn't eat much canned food or treats. She started on kitten, then went to the next age group Hairball control and now eats mature 7+ Hairball control. She's never had a problem. In fact, I recently brought her to a vet because she wasn't eating. She had blood tests, urinalysis, x-rays. All came back fantastic. Turns out she had a cold and her tiny Persian nose was was clogged so she couldn't smell anything. If cats can't smell it, they won't eat it. Antibiotic for the cold and she's back to being her self. I stumbled on this while looking for a new store to get my cat's food because the places I've been going to are closing down. I wrote this review because there were so many negative ones. I don't think people are getting both sides. I will only buy Science Diet, that's what I was looking for in the first place!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My three cats (ages 1, 5 & 7) all eat Hills Prescription C/D Urinary Care cat food and are healthy, active and happy cats. Only one needs it, he had a urinary tract infection and the vet suggested this food. But the other two cats won’t eat the other food anymore (they love this stuff) so it's our only cat food now (both wet & dry).

Reading some of the complaints here they strike me as disingenuous, and incomplete. Since when does ANYONE switch a cat over to another food immediately? EVERYONE knows (or should know) cats are far more sensitive to switching foods than dogs (dogs eat anything). You MUST slowly introduce any new food over a period of a week or more and even then you expect (finickiness, stool issues, etc) some issues until they are used to it.

To those who said CD “killed” their cat - how old was the cat and (reading between the lines) it sounded like those cats were already pretty old or very sick, so how do you associate this food with your cat’s death? That is not a fair assumption to make, it’s not fair to us trying to research this feed or to the manufacturer either. Also, to the one who states cats don't eat vegetables, and so there should be none in cat food, PLEASE! The NUTRIENTS in vegetables are still suitable for cats to consume and utilize. Yes, cats don't on their own eat carrots, or peas, but there are nutritional components in them they can digest and need.

It always bothers me when reviews contain only half the story or written from an uninformed viewpoint. When reading anyone’s review of anything, ask yourself 1) does this sound complete 2) what critical details that may affect your decision are missing, 3) does this person seem to be frustrated and looking for someone or thing to blame? 4) ALWAYS REMEMBER unsatisfied customers leave more negative reviews than satisfied customers leave positive ones! And never take only one review too seriously, even this one. Do more homework!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I feed my 8 year old Maine Coon Hills c/d kidney because he needs Special food. O'malley Cost us $2000 in doctor and surgical bills for sort of what I called kidney stones or granules/grit in his urinary tract. He loves his Hills c/d and I feed him wet and dry. We buy the food at PetSmart. He has lost some weight and recovered very well. Hills seems to be very good. I purchased Hills through my vet at first making it a bit more expensive, but now I have a prescription to go to PetSmart to get his food, Hills c/d Kidney. He was never a finicky cat and always ready to try a new brand, but now we only do Hills. It is what the Doctor ordered!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Hills Cat Food was recommended by our vet for our new kitten. I feel confident that the ingredients are of high quality and the taste is great for our kitten. Our kitten just gobbled it without questions either it’s a dry or wet food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: May 19, 2019

My male cat was put on this food 8-9 years ago after experiencing a severe blockage in his kidneys from crystals. He has not had a crystal problem, since. But, I have noticed he has lost weight every year when we take him to the vet for his annual wellness check. He is 12 years old. He also would vomit the food up at least once every other day. It was stain the white carpet with how heavy it was on coloring using their red dye.

I put both my cats on this food, my other cat will eat anything and I thought if it’s good like my vet said, "what’s the issue". Recently, my male cat who was originally prescribed this food, was throwing up more. Not so much hairballs, but just the food. He would throw up so hard he would make these very loud, almost scary noises. Then, just a few days ago he went and started hiding under the bed, he wouldn’t drink or eat. Had diarrhea. We took him to the emergency vet (mine was booked) and did blood work. He wasn’t having a bladder issue. Blood work was fine.

Vet mentioned that he should have a ultrasound done to rule out pancreatitis and possible enlarged lymph node in intestines. We talked about the food and I mentioned how he was throwing up a lot. I noticed another thing during this time. My other cat wouldn’t eat the food. The same scoop of food sat in the bowl for 5 days until I threw it out. Both cats never had issues eating this food until all of a sudden. I purchased a human grade cat food at a local pet store and today he ate his first dry food in 5 days. He also hasn’t thrown up in a week. He hasn’t had the food!!

I have read nothing but awful things about Hills Prescription diet, and I no longer trust the company after all the recent recalls, and deaths. I hope to see my cat get better day by day. Hope he gains some weight (I could see his ribs) and is happier being taken off this garbage. Look into Carna4, and Pure Vita, brand like them. They also make urinary type foods, too. Yes it’s a bit pricy but maybe $5 more than what you’re paying for the c/d anyway.

Original review: April 4, 2019

My 6 year old cat developed a UTI, she had blood in her urine, no crystals, no blockage. So she was put on Hills S/O food. Within a few days she was vomiting it back up all yellow, I would find puddles of yellow corn like vomit everywhere. I finished the bag and switched her back to her other previous food and bam! All the vomiting stopped, as well as her peeing outside the box. I think this food is absolutely trash and money grabbing, it’s just like feeding your cat cheap food. I would honestly research alternative cat food if possible.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Started my cat on the dry food from November 2017 to June 2017. He lost so much weight, I could feel his ribs. He never had medical problems until he ate this food. Now I am dealing with kidney problems and thyroid problems. He will be on medication the rest of his life. Please, please do not use any of their products.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Due to my cat suffering from cystitis, the vet put him on a prescription diet (Hills Urinary Care C/D). I purchased a few boxes of the cat food from the vet and a few more online. Ever since giving my cat the prescribed wet food he didn't like eating it. I thought that he was fussy and only today due to working from home and the snowy weather (he usually goes to a toilet outside rather than using a litter tray) I realised that he had a serious diarrhea. That explains why he didn't want to eat this food in the first place - it was making him unwell. Vets should be warned about the dangers of this food on cats' health. I will be visiting the vet today to let them know, check the cat's health and find an alternative food.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I opened my can of wet Hills Science Diet kitten food, liver and chicken entree. Mixed in the food was this hard piece of something. I fished it out and rinsed it off. It looked like a piece of rubber or something organic about 1 inch by 1 inch, tubular in shape. Definitely a choking hazard. The lot code was W2050352 6600.

I'm glad I found it before my kitten did.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had 5 cats, one had cystitis so vet put him on CD feline prescription food. Gave it to all my cats. Caused runny poo in 3 of the 5. Was on autoship with Chewy.com. The cat that it was prescribed the food passed away before I could cancel the final food shipment. Opened that bag last week and I noticed my cats ate less and less daily. Two of my cats started vomiting with diarrhea this past week. The only change was the new food bag. Apparently it is tainted. Chewy will refund the money and was given a reference number and a telephone number to call M-F during business hours so I can speak with a Hills representative. Going back to the vet tomorrow since one of the two cats is still ill. Not a fan of this overpriced product!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We listened to our vet and put our cat on the C/D formula food after he had urinary tract infections and the vet told us he had crystals in his bladder. At first things seemed to go fine. We switched him and our other 2 cats over to the C/D food from our previous brand. We dealt with some MASSIVE hairballs and a little bit of throwing up of the food but we switched them directly over and didn't transition them due to worry about the one cat's health. We asked the vet about the hairballs and vomit and he said it can be normal when switching food.

Now, after they've been on the C/D food for a little over a month, the cat we got it for is completely not himself. He's lethargic, losing fur on his legs and toes constantly due to over grooming, he doesn't want to be touched or petted and seems to just stare off into space. We took him back to the vet who said it must be a "behavioral problem" due to the stress of us being in the middle of packing our house to move and prescribed him **. Here's the thing, this cat has been with us while we've packed up various room in our home to switch bedrooms and paint them, he's been with us through renovations, having contractors and loud noises in the home etc... and DONE JUST FINE! This move is NO DIFFERENT than those other times.

Tonight we decided to do a test and give him both the C/D food and our old cat food (we have secluded him away from the other pets thinking it would be more calming as well for him) he REFUSES to eat the C/D food and went to town on the old food like he was starving. He's already perked up and it's been less than a few hours! He was eating and I switched the bowls of food on him, he sniffed the food had changed and turned away from the C/D food. I think my poor baby has been starving himself and eating just enough to not die! We weighed him today and he's also lost a pound in a month! A POUND! For a small cat (he was 13 pounds) that's a HUGE weight loss.

I'm so upset at our vet and this horrible cat food. We won't be feeding it to them again. We have a $70 bag of food now that I refuse to feed our cats so that's a waste and we gave away 2 bags of our old food when we were told we could no longer feed it to them. We've also had multiple vet visits due to our worry about his change in behavior and the hair loss. All caused by this dang food, I'm sure!

I'm disappointed that our vet told us this would be good for him, didn't bother to weigh him at his appointment this week when we brought him in concerned about the hair loss and overall just wanted to explain away his problems as stress and behavioral issues. I've heard about this happening with people and their doctors but never with pets! I'm so sick and sad over the fact that we've been inadvertently starving our poor sweet boy! I wish I could make it up to him. In my opinion this is the worst waste of money you could possibly get for your sweet pets. DON'T DO IT TO THEM!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Both of my cats were put on Hills CD for crystals in their urine, one cat consistently vomits her dinner up a couple of times a week, the other has now been diagnosed with kidney and bladder stones, calcium in origin. Researching this food I have seen issues with the CD diet creating too acidic of an environment, which then creates calcium (kidney) stones, also all the corn products produce oxalates, also increasing the incidents of calcium stone formation. I do believe this food is garbage, evident in the dozens of dead flies I pick out of the bags. I have never purchased any animal food in all my life that literally has dozens of dead flies in it, I guess they can increase the protein content on the label now. Will not be purchasing any more Science diet brand foods anymore.

Original review: June 28, 2018

For many years I believed the commercial pet food companies and I killed all my pets. Then I did some in-depth research. After I finished crying, I started to feed my beloved friends differently. It was difficult and expensive yet worth it. You would not feed a human baby potato chips and other junk food. Do not do it to your pets, especially cats. Cats are obligate carnivores - peas, carrots, wheat, barley, etc. are useless. Cats eat grass to help them vomit hair and fur, and void bowel matter, not for nutrition. Vets sell this stuff for two reasons: 1. They make a bottom line profit; 2. The animals get sick and the vets get more business.

Cats and dogs need high quality protein, not soybeans, which they cannot digest, not ground chicken legs and beaks (chicken by products) not animal digest (Ground intestines) and certainly not all the artificial minerals and vitamins and preservatives, ad nauseum. Dry food had 'bound' protein - it is not easily available to the animal and therefore the animal eats too much in an attempt to feed its starving body - starving for protein and get far too much fat and carbs. Feed your pet the foods with which it evolved: raw meat. Yeah, just like what you were evolved to eat, only you can digest it when it is cooked.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat transitioned to Hill's ok, but he often won't finish it. Odor is awful to this human. Also, food variety is sparse. But it has seemed to help his urinary problems.

Original review: June 24, 2018

All 4 of our cats eat some version of Hills Science Diet prescription foods. We are very happy with the product and we believe the foods are helpful in keeping them healthy.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My cat had a blood test three month ago for regular routine check up, with BUN 71 and Creatinine 1.9. My vet suggested to change the food to Science Hills k/d and rechecked three months later only finding BUN to 169 and Creatinine to 6.9, getting worse. After treatment with daily fluids and change food to Royal Canin for about a week, the result of those two index still remained the same. So my vet suggested to put her away last Sat. I just cannot believe what went wrong, the only change we made was to change to Scientific Hills' k/d food. I am so upset about that. Hope this will help people when they want to change food for their beloved cat.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My cat went on Hills Science Diet c/d after having urinary tract infections that started in 2010 when I got her. She never had one when she was on the diet but if I went off they would come back. She would get bored with the wet food so finally I switched to Fancy Feast wet food and Hills c/d Dry food which she has been on for about 3 years with no issues. A few weeks ago I took her into the vet and she was diagnosed with an oral tumor which grew so quickly she needed to be put down yesterday. It's called Feline Squamous Cell Carcinoma. An oral cancer. She was 10 years old and an indoor cat that was well taken care of. I don't know what caused this but am concerned if the food had any impact and it seems like regulations are lax. Sharing this in case it's happened to anyone else.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My cats have been on Science Diet Senior (7+) Hairball Formula for 10 years and it was like CRACK to them -- by far their favorite. Suddenly, with the new bag, they are very disinterested in it. In fact, they won't eat it. Same with the Adult (Ages 1 - 6) Hairball Formula. Even my outside cats, who will eat anything, and the POSSUMS won't eat it. I called Hill's and was rather rudely told that each batch is tested and it must be the way I store the food/gave it to my cats/some other external reason that they quit eating it. I have 12 cats. And they used to love this stuff. I don't care what their testing revealed, I know my cats and when they quit eating something en masse, there's an issue.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Please pay attention to your kitty if feeding the wet C/D prescription food. My cat was on this food for 10 years therefore I did not notice the decline in her health immediately until we went to the vet and they told me that she had lost a pound. I started monitoring her like a hawk and she begrudgingly was trying to eat the food, she started scratching her face till it was a big bloody scab and her hair was falling out in clumps. I switched her over to Wellness 3 months ago (she only like the Pate) and she is like a brand new cat that is not being poisoned. Her weight and energy levels are up and her skin and fur are better than ever. The vet ignored me when I told them there was a problem with the food and I was taking her off it ASAP.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I recently bought my second bag of the Science Diet Indoor Age Defying dry cat food. Prior to that I had been using the Nulo brand, but thought I would change things up a bit. Yesterday, one of my indoor cats was throwing up his dry food non-stop (it comes out yellow, and nearly in whole bits). My other cat who is his sibling, had a seizure!! Her legs went out under her, and her eyes starting moving back and forth, then her head started to do the same! We rushed her to the emergency vet. The vet said that she was nauseous (she was salivating a lot), so they gave her something intravenously to help. She is better now, but I am convinced that it had something to do with the food! Needless to say, the first thing we did when we got home was throw away the food. Please watch your pets closely when they are on this food.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Hills Science Plan for Young Adult Cats - I have been feeding my cats Hills food and I'm devastated at what I'm reading about it. My vet has stopped selling it but won't say anything about it when I told her about my concerns. She's the reason that I use the food as she told me it was the best for my cats. One of my cats always threw up every so often and the vet said it was hairballs but I never saw a hairball in what he threw up. Now he's having bloods taken tomorrow and I'm worried sick about it. I'm waiting for other food I've ordered online to come, and I don't want to give my cats anymore Hills but I don't know what to give them in the meantime. Please help! Can anyone give me any ideas on what to feed my cats until the ordered food arrives?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had 3 kittens without mum. 3 weeks old. I was bottle feeding them and start giving Hills canned food but they did not like to eat them at all. And every time after eating food they start threw up. And start noticing they having diarrhea. Took them to vet few times and they couldn't find the problem. 3rd time they have told me it has to do with the food they eating. So I change the food. And they start getting so strong and playful and they love to eat the new canned food. I have more than 30 cans of Hills food which I have throw away. I thought kittens will die the way they were, thank God they still alive. I will never use Hills products ever again. I saw the vet they selling Hills brand also. Most foster care use Hills Brand. They did nothing to help and totally stood behind the Hills brand when I told them. Please ban them selling this pet food.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My cat was fine. FINE! Ate a lot. About 8 days ago, she had dental surgery and was kind of wiped out for 24 hours but then ate again and was walking around. I took her in for a follow up and the doctor mentioned she had elevated kidney (something the other doctor failed to tell me before I got her teeth cleaned). She gave me samples of Hills. After the second can my cat threw up and started acting funny. On the 3rd day I knew something was wrong (she is an overeater but was eating zero food) and took her in. They took new blood tests and she has intense pancreatitis. I am blaming Hills. My poor little baby is dying or at least it feels like it. Am horrified, depressed. LIKE WHAT HAPPENED? They pulled the Hills off the shelves. I think she was poisoned by this food. I plan on getting to the bottom of this and hope to heck I do not have to call a lawyer but am mad and very very upset as you can imagine.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I was told my cat was overweight. I had been using Hill's dry food for about a year but changed to Hill's Metabolic. After 3 weeks he was drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot and was very unwell. I took him to the vet who I told I thought it was the food. No way. He did a blood test and I was told he was diabetic and he was put on insulin. Ok for about a week and a half, after that he was extremely hungry and was not well. Took him back. Another blood test done and he was low sugar. Very ill. Told to take him home and give him food. This was repeated again 3 days later. He has now been taken off insulin. Within a week he has improved immensely. Cat humans need to be aware of their gut instinct especially where Hill's cat food is concerned.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My veterinarian prescribed Hills K/D Prescription Diet kidney care dry cat food for my female cat. I selected the chicken flavor. My vet told me it would be OK to give this to my male cat as well. The cats loved the food. However, my female cat started itching constantly and losing her fur around her face. The vet said it had to be a problem with the ingredients in K/D. She recommended a hypoallergenic dry cat food, which she didn't have on the shelf. I threw out the remaining K/D and my cat immediately stopped itching. My male cat had no problem with the K/D. However, he has been vomiting often for a while. I wonder if the vomiting has something due with other food I give the cats.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We fed our Tabby Hills CD due to crystal issues for years with no issues... he was super healthy and had no crystal problems. We noticed the canned food changed in both texture and overall appearance. Our boy instantly refused to eat it... prior to this he love it and would beg for meal time. So it was very odd to have him refuse food. What little he did eat he soon after would cough, vomit and froth from the mouth. My mum's dog also notice a change in the cat food. Prior to the new batch of CD he loved the kitty food and when he visited would do anything to get it... he sniffed the new CD and totally refused it. After seeing that a dog would not even eat it we ran to the store and started feeding a different brand. Kitty went right back to begging for meal time and stopped the frothy vomiting. I will never use Hills products ever again. Our vet did nothing to help and totally stood behind the hills brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My cat had surgery about a year ago for kidney stones. The vet recommended the Hills science diet urinary canned cat food. I have been purchasing it from the vet ever since. My cat is not fussy and will eat whatever I give him preferably canned food. I also buy Hills dry food for grazing. I returned a few cans in the past as they were seeping at the top and when I opened them the contents were black. Last week my husband and I both noticed that the cans were watery with hardly any substance. I am not happy with this product and feel I should be able to purchase a good product over the counter as long as I read the label and see the byproducts within.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Hill's Prescription Diet Feline z/d Skin/Food Sensitivities - This is super expensive food (fine mousse in tins), but the cats won't eat it. I have tried mixing it in (small quantities), they still won't eat it. I purchased it online and now have to send it back at my cost.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Our cat is overweight and because of this she occasionally flares up of what the vet refers to as "diaper rash". Her butt becomes red and sore. Our vet suggested that we change her diet to Hills D/D skin sensitive to see if her problem was coming from the food we had been feeding her. We agreed and began feeding her D/D hard food. After about 6 weeks on this food we noticed a significant weight gain. We fed her the amount indicated on the bag - and pulled the food up once she had eaten.

I inquired about her weight gain - and asked the vet if there was a product from Hills that would help with the original issue and the weight gain. I told the vet that in an attempt to get more liquid into our cat that we had been adding water to the D/D and that we found that the food did not absorb water? She thought it was odd - but didn't seem alarmed and recommended that we switch to Z/D which was for both weight gain and skin sensitive. After a few weeks on this diet - she began having "diaper rash" issues so we immediately switched her back to D/D. Within a month of switching her back - she began growling/screaming during the night - and was restless during the day. It was obvious that something was wrong. She was uncomfortable - and it was hard to get near her.

I took her back to the vet - they x-rayed her, did blood work and couldn't find anything wrong with her. She had gained 2 lbs since her last visit (less than 3 months). I told the vet that I suspected the D/D food, explaining again that it was rock hard - and that it didn't absorb water. This cat would never eat anything soft - so canned food did not seem to be an option - but decided to switch her to canned D/D in attempt to lose weight and get more fluid into her. While I am not a fan of Hills SD - this so far has seemed to help. I would not recommend any of Hills hard food to anyone as I feel it was the cause of her discomfort. Listening to her scream and not knowing how to help was the worst. No no no - to Hills SD hard food. The vet bill (not including the food) tallied almost $1,000.00.

Hills Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information