1.96/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratings

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

84 Hills Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My three cats (ages 1, 5 & 7) all eat Hills Prescription C/D Urinary Care cat food and are healthy, active and happy cats. Only one needs it, he had a urinary tract infection and the vet suggested this food. But the other two cats won’t eat the other food anymore (they love this stuff) so it's our only cat food now (both wet & dry).

Reading some of the complaints here they strike me as disingenuous, and incomplete. Since when does ANYONE switch a cat over to another food immediately? EVERYONE knows (or should know) cats are far more sensitive to switching foods than dogs (dogs eat anything). You MUST slowly introduce any new food over a period of a week or more and even then you expect (finickiness, stool issues, etc) some issues until they are used to it.

To those who said CD “killed” their cat - how old was the cat and (reading between the lines) it sounded like those cats were already pretty old or very sick, so how do you associate this food with your cat’s death? That is not a fair assumption to make, it’s not fair to us trying to research this feed or to the manufacturer either. Also, to the one who states cats don't eat vegetables, and so there should be none in cat food, PLEASE! The NUTRIENTS in vegetables are still suitable for cats to consume and utilize. Yes, cats don't on their own eat carrots, or peas, but there are nutritional components in them they can digest and need.

It always bothers me when reviews contain only half the story or written from an uninformed viewpoint. When reading anyone’s review of anything, ask yourself 1) does this sound complete 2) what critical details that may affect your decision are missing, 3) does this person seem to be frustrated and looking for someone or thing to blame? 4) ALWAYS REMEMBER unsatisfied customers leave more negative reviews than satisfied customers leave positive ones! And never take only one review too seriously, even this one. Do more homework!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had 5 cats, one had cystitis so vet put him on CD feline prescription food. Gave it to all my cats. Caused runny poo in 3 of the 5. Was on autoship with Chewy.com. The cat that it was prescribed the food passed away before I could cancel the final food shipment. Opened that bag last week and I noticed my cats ate less and less daily. Two of my cats started vomiting with diarrhea this past week. The only change was the new food bag. Apparently it is tainted. Chewy will refund the money and was given a reference number and a telephone number to call M-F during business hours so I can speak with a Hills representative. Going back to the vet tomorrow since one of the two cats is still ill. Not a fan of this overpriced product!!!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We listened to our vet and put our cat on the C/D formula food after he had urinary tract infections and the vet told us he had crystals in his bladder. At first things seemed to go fine. We switched him and our other 2 cats over to the C/D food from our previous brand. We dealt with some MASSIVE hairballs and a little bit of throwing up of the food but we switched them directly over and didn't transition them due to worry about the one cat's health. We asked the vet about the hairballs and vomit and he said it can be normal when switching food.

Now, after they've been on the C/D food for a little over a month, the cat we got it for is completely not himself. He's lethargic, losing fur on his legs and toes constantly due to over grooming, he doesn't want to be touched or petted and seems to just stare off into space. We took him back to the vet who said it must be a "behavioral problem" due to the stress of us being in the middle of packing our house to move and prescribed him **. Here's the thing, this cat has been with us while we've packed up various room in our home to switch bedrooms and paint them, he's been with us through renovations, having contractors and loud noises in the home etc... and DONE JUST FINE! This move is NO DIFFERENT than those other times.

Tonight we decided to do a test and give him both the C/D food and our old cat food (we have secluded him away from the other pets thinking it would be more calming as well for him) he REFUSES to eat the C/D food and went to town on the old food like he was starving. He's already perked up and it's been less than a few hours! He was eating and I switched the bowls of food on him, he sniffed the food had changed and turned away from the C/D food. I think my poor baby has been starving himself and eating just enough to not die! We weighed him today and he's also lost a pound in a month! A POUND! For a small cat (he was 13 pounds) that's a HUGE weight loss.

I'm so upset at our vet and this horrible cat food. We won't be feeding it to them again. We have a $70 bag of food now that I refuse to feed our cats so that's a waste and we gave away 2 bags of our old food when we were told we could no longer feed it to them. We've also had multiple vet visits due to our worry about his change in behavior and the hair loss. All caused by this dang food, I'm sure!

I'm disappointed that our vet told us this would be good for him, didn't bother to weigh him at his appointment this week when we brought him in concerned about the hair loss and overall just wanted to explain away his problems as stress and behavioral issues. I've heard about this happening with people and their doctors but never with pets! I'm so sick and sad over the fact that we've been inadvertently starving our poor sweet boy! I wish I could make it up to him. In my opinion this is the worst waste of money you could possibly get for your sweet pets. DON'T DO IT TO THEM!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Both of my cats were put on Hills CD for crystals in their urine, one cat consistently vomits her dinner up a couple of times a week, the other has now been diagnosed with kidney and bladder stones, calcium in origin. Researching this food I have seen issues with the CD diet creating too acidic of an environment, which then creates calcium (kidney) stones, also all the corn products produce oxalates, also increasing the incidents of calcium stone formation. I do believe this food is garbage, evident in the dozens of dead flies I pick out of the bags. I have never purchased any animal food in all my life that literally has dozens of dead flies in it, I guess they can increase the protein content on the label now. Will not be purchasing any more Science diet brand foods anymore.

Original review: June 28, 2018

For many years I believed the commercial pet food companies and I killed all my pets. Then I did some in-depth research. After I finished crying, I started to feed my beloved friends differently. It was difficult and expensive yet worth it. You would not feed a human baby potato chips and other junk food. Do not do it to your pets, especially cats. Cats are obligate carnivores - peas, carrots, wheat, barley, etc. are useless. Cats eat grass to help them vomit hair and fur, and void bowel matter, not for nutrition. Vets sell this stuff for two reasons: 1. They make a bottom line profit; 2. The animals get sick and the vets get more business.

Cats and dogs need high quality protein, not soybeans, which they cannot digest, not ground chicken legs and beaks (chicken by products) not animal digest (Ground intestines) and certainly not all the artificial minerals and vitamins and preservatives, ad nauseum. Dry food had 'bound' protein - it is not easily available to the animal and therefore the animal eats too much in an attempt to feed its starving body - starving for protein and get far too much fat and carbs. Feed your pet the foods with which it evolved: raw meat. Yeah, just like what you were evolved to eat, only you can digest it when it is cooked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat transitioned to Hill's ok, but he often won't finish it. Odor is awful to this human. Also, food variety is sparse. But it has seemed to help his urinary problems.

Original review: June 24, 2018

All 4 of our cats eat some version of Hills Science Diet prescription foods. We are very happy with the product and we believe the foods are helpful in keeping them healthy.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I feed my 8 year old Maine Coon Hills c/d kidney because he needs Special food. O'malley Cost us $2000 in doctor and surgical bills for sort of what I called kidney stones or granules/grit in his urinary tract. He loves his Hills c/d and I feed him wet and dry. We buy the food at PetSmart. He has lost some weight and recovered very well. Hills seems to be very good. I purchased Hills through my vet at first making it a bit more expensive, but now I have a prescription to go to PetSmart to get his food, Hills c/d Kidney. He was never a finicky cat and always ready to try a new brand, but now we only do Hills. It is what the Doctor ordered!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Hills Cat Food was recommended by our vet for our new kitten. I feel confident that the ingredients are of high quality and the taste is great for our kitten. Our kitten just gobbled it without questions either it’s a dry or wet food.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My cat had a blood test three month ago for regular routine check up, with BUN 71 and Creatinine 1.9. My vet suggested to change the food to Science Hills k/d and rechecked three months later only finding BUN to 169 and Creatinine to 6.9, getting worse. After treatment with daily fluids and change food to Royal Canin for about a week, the result of those two index still remained the same. So my vet suggested to put her away last Sat. I just cannot believe what went wrong, the only change we made was to change to Scientific Hills' k/d food. I am so upset about that. Hope this will help people when they want to change food for their beloved cat.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My cat went on Hills Science Diet c/d after having urinary tract infections that started in 2010 when I got her. She never had one when she was on the diet but if I went off they would come back. She would get bored with the wet food so finally I switched to Fancy Feast wet food and Hills c/d Dry food which she has been on for about 3 years with no issues. A few weeks ago I took her into the vet and she was diagnosed with an oral tumor which grew so quickly she needed to be put down yesterday. It's called Feline Squamous Cell Carcinoma. An oral cancer. She was 10 years old and an indoor cat that was well taken care of. I don't know what caused this but am concerned if the food had any impact and it seems like regulations are lax. Sharing this in case it's happened to anyone else.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My cats have been on Science Diet Senior (7+) Hairball Formula for 10 years and it was like CRACK to them -- by far their favorite. Suddenly, with the new bag, they are very disinterested in it. In fact, they won't eat it. Same with the Adult (Ages 1 - 6) Hairball Formula. Even my outside cats, who will eat anything, and the POSSUMS won't eat it. I called Hill's and was rather rudely told that each batch is tested and it must be the way I store the food/gave it to my cats/some other external reason that they quit eating it. I have 12 cats. And they used to love this stuff. I don't care what their testing revealed, I know my cats and when they quit eating something en masse, there's an issue.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Please pay attention to your kitty if feeding the wet C/D prescription food. My cat was on this food for 10 years therefore I did not notice the decline in her health immediately until we went to the vet and they told me that she had lost a pound. I started monitoring her like a hawk and she begrudgingly was trying to eat the food, she started scratching her face till it was a big bloody scab and her hair was falling out in clumps. I switched her over to Wellness 3 months ago (she only like the Pate) and she is like a brand new cat that is not being poisoned. Her weight and energy levels are up and her skin and fur are better than ever. The vet ignored me when I told them there was a problem with the food and I was taking her off it ASAP.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I recently bought my second bag of the Science Diet Indoor Age Defying dry cat food. Prior to that I had been using the Nulo brand, but thought I would change things up a bit. Yesterday, one of my indoor cats was throwing up his dry food non-stop (it comes out yellow, and nearly in whole bits). My other cat who is his sibling, had a seizure!! Her legs went out under her, and her eyes starting moving back and forth, then her head started to do the same! We rushed her to the emergency vet. The vet said that she was nauseous (she was salivating a lot), so they gave her something intravenously to help. She is better now, but I am convinced that it had something to do with the food! Needless to say, the first thing we did when we got home was throw away the food. Please watch your pets closely when they are on this food.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Hills Science Plan for Young Adult Cats - I have been feeding my cats Hills food and I'm devastated at what I'm reading about it. My vet has stopped selling it but won't say anything about it when I told her about my concerns. She's the reason that I use the food as she told me it was the best for my cats. One of my cats always threw up every so often and the vet said it was hairballs but I never saw a hairball in what he threw up. Now he's having bloods taken tomorrow and I'm worried sick about it. I'm waiting for other food I've ordered online to come, and I don't want to give my cats anymore Hills but I don't know what to give them in the meantime. Please help! Can anyone give me any ideas on what to feed my cats until the ordered food arrives?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had 3 kittens without mum. 3 weeks old. I was bottle feeding them and start giving Hills canned food but they did not like to eat them at all. And every time after eating food they start threw up. And start noticing they having diarrhea. Took them to vet few times and they couldn't find the problem. 3rd time they have told me it has to do with the food they eating. So I change the food. And they start getting so strong and playful and they love to eat the new canned food. I have more than 30 cans of Hills food which I have throw away. I thought kittens will die the way they were, thank God they still alive. I will never use Hills products ever again. I saw the vet they selling Hills brand also. Most foster care use Hills Brand. They did nothing to help and totally stood behind the Hills brand when I told them. Please ban them selling this pet food.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My cat was fine. FINE! Ate a lot. About 8 days ago, she had dental surgery and was kind of wiped out for 24 hours but then ate again and was walking around. I took her in for a follow up and the doctor mentioned she had elevated kidney (something the other doctor failed to tell me before I got her teeth cleaned). She gave me samples of Hills. After the second can my cat threw up and started acting funny. On the 3rd day I knew something was wrong (she is an overeater but was eating zero food) and took her in. They took new blood tests and she has intense pancreatitis. I am blaming Hills. My poor little baby is dying or at least it feels like it. Am horrified, depressed. LIKE WHAT HAPPENED? They pulled the Hills off the shelves. I think she was poisoned by this food. I plan on getting to the bottom of this and hope to heck I do not have to call a lawyer but am mad and very very upset as you can imagine.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I was told my cat was overweight. I had been using Hill's dry food for about a year but changed to Hill's Metabolic. After 3 weeks he was drinking a lot of water and urinating a lot and was very unwell. I took him to the vet who I told I thought it was the food. No way. He did a blood test and I was told he was diabetic and he was put on insulin. Ok for about a week and a half, after that he was extremely hungry and was not well. Took him back. Another blood test done and he was low sugar. Very ill. Told to take him home and give him food. This was repeated again 3 days later. He has now been taken off insulin. Within a week he has improved immensely. Cat humans need to be aware of their gut instinct especially where Hill's cat food is concerned.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My veterinarian prescribed Hills K/D Prescription Diet kidney care dry cat food for my female cat. I selected the chicken flavor. My vet told me it would be OK to give this to my male cat as well. The cats loved the food. However, my female cat started itching constantly and losing her fur around her face. The vet said it had to be a problem with the ingredients in K/D. She recommended a hypoallergenic dry cat food, which she didn't have on the shelf. I threw out the remaining K/D and my cat immediately stopped itching. My male cat had no problem with the K/D. However, he has been vomiting often for a while. I wonder if the vomiting has something due with other food I give the cats.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We fed our Tabby Hills CD due to crystal issues for years with no issues... he was super healthy and had no crystal problems. We noticed the canned food changed in both texture and overall appearance. Our boy instantly refused to eat it... prior to this he love it and would beg for meal time. So it was very odd to have him refuse food. What little he did eat he soon after would cough, vomit and froth from the mouth. My mum's dog also notice a change in the cat food. Prior to the new batch of CD he loved the kitty food and when he visited would do anything to get it... he sniffed the new CD and totally refused it. After seeing that a dog would not even eat it we ran to the store and started feeding a different brand. Kitty went right back to begging for meal time and stopped the frothy vomiting. I will never use Hills products ever again. Our vet did nothing to help and totally stood behind the hills brand.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My cat had surgery about a year ago for kidney stones. The vet recommended the Hills science diet urinary canned cat food. I have been purchasing it from the vet ever since. My cat is not fussy and will eat whatever I give him preferably canned food. I also buy Hills dry food for grazing. I returned a few cans in the past as they were seeping at the top and when I opened them the contents were black. Last week my husband and I both noticed that the cans were watery with hardly any substance. I am not happy with this product and feel I should be able to purchase a good product over the counter as long as I read the label and see the byproducts within.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Hill's Prescription Diet Feline z/d Skin/Food Sensitivities - This is super expensive food (fine mousse in tins), but the cats won't eat it. I have tried mixing it in (small quantities), they still won't eat it. I purchased it online and now have to send it back at my cost.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Our cat is overweight and because of this she occasionally flares up of what the vet refers to as "diaper rash". Her butt becomes red and sore. Our vet suggested that we change her diet to Hills D/D skin sensitive to see if her problem was coming from the food we had been feeding her. We agreed and began feeding her D/D hard food. After about 6 weeks on this food we noticed a significant weight gain. We fed her the amount indicated on the bag - and pulled the food up once she had eaten.

I inquired about her weight gain - and asked the vet if there was a product from Hills that would help with the original issue and the weight gain. I told the vet that in an attempt to get more liquid into our cat that we had been adding water to the D/D and that we found that the food did not absorb water? She thought it was odd - but didn't seem alarmed and recommended that we switch to Z/D which was for both weight gain and skin sensitive. After a few weeks on this diet - she began having "diaper rash" issues so we immediately switched her back to D/D. Within a month of switching her back - she began growling/screaming during the night - and was restless during the day. It was obvious that something was wrong. She was uncomfortable - and it was hard to get near her.

I took her back to the vet - they x-rayed her, did blood work and couldn't find anything wrong with her. She had gained 2 lbs since her last visit (less than 3 months). I told the vet that I suspected the D/D food, explaining again that it was rock hard - and that it didn't absorb water. This cat would never eat anything soft - so canned food did not seem to be an option - but decided to switch her to canned D/D in attempt to lose weight and get more fluid into her. While I am not a fan of Hills SD - this so far has seemed to help. I would not recommend any of Hills hard food to anyone as I feel it was the cause of her discomfort. Listening to her scream and not knowing how to help was the worst. No no no - to Hills SD hard food. The vet bill (not including the food) tallied almost $1,000.00.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I had 2 cats. The older girl was almost a year and the other, a boy, is about 4 months. We had been feeding them Hill's science diet for indoor cats. The kitty had some smaller food but seemed to like the science diet as well. However the kitty started throwing up after eating it and we couldn't figure out why. We thought maybe he was overeating or eating too fast. After awhile it seemed the kitty still had some trouble but older one seemed to not have any issues. Though we had seen blood on their noses before and we assumed it was from them playing but I'm wondering if there were showing signs of poison before. It's a very hard thing deal with.

Then one day we came home with a new bag and fed them. Hours later the girl jumped up and started panicking, throwing up, and choking. I awoke to the screams of bloody murder and ran into the room to see the baby girl choking to death on her side. I looked up what to do and stuck my finger in her mouth. To which there was significant blood discharge. There was nothing that could be done. She was poisoned to death. And the only thing she ate was this food. Granted we poisoned our sweet baby for awhile (and much longer than we had the kitty). We didn't realize this stuff was poison. Stay away!!! Needless to say we switched food and the baby boy seems to be thriving.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Cat with IBD has been successfully treated with ** for a while. She's gone more than a year without any significant bowel or vomiting issues barring the occasional small flare up. Along with that she has been eating Hills' Science Diet I/D food as 50-75% of her diet. It was great for a long time. Healthy and tasty because she ate it all up and was doing great. Only exceptions: A couple of months ago I gave her some fresh (new package) dry I/D as usual when I was gone overnight one night (Longer than that she gets a cat sitter and her normal wet food). This has never been a problem as anytime I am gone for just a night this is the routine. No pain or diarrhea usually. But this time, when I got home, she was in pain, had at least a pound of diarrhea in the litter box overnight! (Ok I didn't weigh it but it was a lot!) And scoots all over the floor, and was lifting her hind leg, screaming and unable to sit right. Never seen her in such pain.

Quick trip to the hospital and hundreds of dollars of scans/X-rays later, "nothing wrong" on the scans. This was not "just stress from being left alone" or a sudden change in diet. This scenario (gone overnight, cat left with dry food) had happened many times in the past without issue. However the doctors chalked it up to an IBD flare up, so did I. Fast forward to this weekend, again, left her alone for less than 24 hours with the same Hills' dry food. Same batch (was kept in a sealed container made for pet food). Upon return, same painful symptoms being exhibited, only this time with blood in the diarrhea. So much diarrhea, just like before. Pain, rear leg lifting, pleading/scared/sick vocalizations. Then I found this site after doing a search. Saw the reviews explaining the formula change. Looked on the bag, sure enough, this has the "new formula" verbiage on it.

Called the vets on call DR, he has not heard of any issues with the food. It seems to me that an investigation of this new formula is long overdue. Today is Sunday so the regular vet is not available. Will call tomorrow and hopefully have a conversation around this. Until then the vet said to watch her and tomorrow maybe get ** to calm the diarrhea. Again, this is not due to stress or diet change. This is much more severe than what one would notice from that.

Suffice it to say, Hills food will be trashed, keeping it for now just in case the vet wants a sample. But please watch out for this new formula and avoid feeding it to your cats. And no, I am not a competitor as another reviewer would like you to think. What a horrible thing to say when all these concerned and distraught pet owners are watching their loves being inflicted with discomfort and pain. Hills was great for my cat until this formula change.

Original review: April 16, 2017

My cat's health has declined since feeding him your "not" healthy food. I have already spent over $800.00 getting him better. I told my vet that I believe it to be the z/d diet. He said not to discontinue it after I went in for the 5 to 6 times. I asked for another vet and got very loud to fix my cat. I then took my cat completely off all the z/d and it's been at least a month and a half and is getting better each day!!! I will NEVER purchase your product ever again!!! Oh and I know about you guys previewing complaints and not posting them. So don't be deceiving or I will go further with my complaint!!! I do feel that Hills should reimburse me for all I had spent to get him better. I live check to check every week so this was a very heavy weight on my shoulders but my fur baby means the world to me and I feel like your product almost killed him.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Sorry this is long, but the story has unfolded over the last 7+ months: My cats with inflammatory bowel disease had been doing very well on Hills prescription z/d canned food for over a year, when without any warning, Hills changed the formula of the food. Suddenly, the cans just said "improved formula" on them... With no forewarning that anything was about to change. I realized something was amiss when I opened the first can of a new case of this "improved formula" and a) it smelled horrible and b) the texture was weird, gloppy. I checked the date on the can to make sure it was not spoiled, and then realized it was an "improved formula". Fortunately, I still had several cans of the original formula available and I promptly opened up one of those cans and tried to transition my cats over a 7 day period to the "improved formula".

Unfortunately, the transition never worked out... Both cats began to have very loose stools and one cat began vomiting shortly after any attempt to eat. By the end of the transition period, both cats would sit at the food dish and cry for food, eat a few bites and walk away... Both still had very explosive loose stools tinged with blood and one cat was now also vomiting multiple times daily. After a few days of this, I called my vet who wanted to see the cat that had begun vomiting multiple times daily, right away. He received fluids, a b12 injection and an ultrasound. The doctor recommended that I discontinue feeding both cats this "improved formula" (which she was unaware of as well) immediately. My cats never ate another bite of the Hills "improved formula" prescription z/d, and have been thriving with zero incidents in the 7 months since I have transitioned them to a different diet.

After this incident, I posted a review on the Hills website. You must register to write a review, and Hills screens the reviews before they allow them to be posted, so they know exactly what is being posted. The first review I tried to post was not allowed for some reason, so I submitted a new review which was approved. Once the review was approved I received an email saying my review had been approved with a link to my review... I hit the link, and there it was. I noticed at that time that Hills was receiving numerous negative reviews for this "improved formula"... Many similar to mine above. Fast forward a few weeks, I went back to the Hills website out of curiosity to see if anything had changed, maybe they were changing the formula back. I was hoping for some good news in the reviews, thinking maybe I could switch my cats back to the diet because they really did so well on the original formula...

Anyway, I was stunned to find when I went back to the Hills website that they had removed my review along with at least a dozen other negative reviews. I was dumbfounded. What a questionable business practice, trying to deceive the public by removing numerous reviews that they had allowed to be posted, because the reviews clearly indicated that their customers disliked the "improved formula" by a wide margin. And finally, after I had taken my very sick cat to the vet to get him stabilized and we stopped feeding him the Hills prescription z/d canned food, I made a call to Hills to let them know what happened to my cat. They took a detailed report, and asked if I still had cans from the case, which I did, and I provided them with lot numbers, etc.

They asked detailed questions about the cats symptoms and asked if I thought my cats symptoms were related to the food... I told them, yes. They also asked if they could contact my vet, and I gave them permission, yet the last time I spoke with my vet said she has not been contacted by Hills. And finally, Hills offered me some coupons for my trouble. Really? My next stop is the FDA.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have a pet sitting, dog walking business and I am constantly horrified at the number of people who feed "Science Diet" because their vets have told them this is a healthy diet for their cats/dogs. It doesn't take much to tell that the fillers and content in their products are NOT healthy and although cats and dogs can live on the food (like some people can live a lifetime on junk food) it undermines their general health and shortens their lifespan. The fact that vets get a kickback from Hills and Purina (a whole other story) is unconscionable. Vets traditionally know little about pet nutrition and it takes research to develop a knowledge of what is healthy or not. Corn is not. Carrageenan is not. Wheat is not. Chicken by-product meal, Brewers rice, and neither are preservatives.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

I have a mixed tabby that is 4.5 years old. I've had him since he was a kitten and in his 4.5 years of life, he has never had a problem with allergies, foods, etc. In fact, he has never turned down any food and was a bit overweight the last time I went to my vet, so I was recommended to put him on the Hills Metabolic Diet in chicken flavor.

In 8 weeks, he developed severe urinary problems and was almost blocked when I took him back to the vet. He has never had a problem with urinary crystals and now he may need to be on special food the rest of his life because of this terrible experience. He has had no other change in health (he didn't even lose weight!) or environment. The only variable that changed was this food. I understand each cat may react differently to foods, but this was an incredibly dangerous situation and had I not been in tune with his behavior, it could have cost my cat his life. Pet owners, if you put your kitty on this food please be careful and watch them diligently!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I think it is good for our cats, but it is very $$$ and I can almost "never" get coupons for it, and I have to go to the vet or tractor sup to get it or go out of town over an hour drive to a PetSmart, or get online. "Again it would be nice to get coupons from time to time."

Hills Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information