2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Hills Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I recently changed my cat's food to Hills Science and started noticing my cat throw up every time he ate the food. Apart from the occasional hair ball, my cat never vomits. This is directly linked with my cat eating Hills food. My cat would cry every time I put the Hills food in the bowl, however, I thought he was just being fussy. I now have realized it's making him sick and will never buy this brand again.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I have a 14 year old cat with a thyroid # that the vet called "off the charts." (She estimated it would be a 6, with 4 being the highest.) He ended up allergic to the only hyperthyroid medicine that exists for cats, and the iodine radiation was not an option. One vet at the clinic said this food doesn't work at all, and my vet said it does with some cats. Well, after a month on the canned Hills Y/D, Winston's #s were back in the normal range. (He did seem calmer to me, but to have the #s match that was thrilling!)

If it is not expired (Hills says that makes a difference) and if it is not a knock off, and if you have just happen to have the right kind of cat whose system responds well to this, this works. (And if you don't give the cat anything else, not treats, no other foods whatsoever.) And isn't a month's experimentation to see if you have a cat who responds well to this food worth it? The product works at least on my mine. So it is a total possibility that it will help you have a little more time with your pet. (Since it is not a cure to hyperthyroidism but in theory levels out the surges of the energy this condition brings.)

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

After being told my 13yr old Bengal had arthritis I changed her food to Hills Science joint care. After a while her colitis/IBS flared up and she was pooping blood. Stupidly, as there were other things going on in the house builders, etc. I put this down to stress instead of the food change and started feeding her I/d food. Initially this stopped the bleeding but man her poops were smelly. Then her and my other cat started losing weight, became lethargic, dull fur, dull eyes and had bloody watery stools. Thankfully I did a search online and found all these negative reviews of Hills food.

I gradually put her back on her original food (James Wellbeloved Grain Free) and a month later both cats are bouncing round like kittens, their fur is shiny and they are happy and healthy with normal poop. I just pray that I haven’t caused them any lasting damage to their kidneys as mentioned in other reviews. My friend's cat was recently put to sleep due to kidney failure and he had been fed on hills I/d. AVOID this product.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Why are they allowed to put corn in cat food? Cats cannot process corn in their bodies. I almost learned this too late. My cat had an infection that was attacking his heart valve. You people should know this. I have put him on a grain free diet. I had him on skin and stomach dry food. You even put corn in wet food. What is wrong with you people? Pets are at a risk because of your actions.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

We have four kittens that are 16 weeks old and started feeding them Hills science for kittens. It was a horrible experience! Kittens were throwing up and had horrible diarrhea. They looked sick and were lethargic. Our kittens are always full of energy and playing all the time so I knew something was wrong. We thought they had some kind of infection so took them to the vet. After a few hundred dollars the vet could find nothing wrong with them. We left one kitten for a couple days for observation and they said she did fine. The other kittens at home were still throwing up. They fed her a different type of food. When she got home and ate Hills Science again the vomiting and diarrhea started! I threw that food out and bought Royal Canin and the kittens loved it! They no longer threw up and stools are normal! Something is wrong with Hills Science!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

My 13 year old cat had been healthy all her life but last year developed a food allergy and licked a lot of her hair off. The vet wanted us to try Hills z/d. We did and within weeks her hair started to grow back. But a couple months in and she started vomiting, refusing to eat. We ended up in the ER because she was dehydrated. At that point her blood tests were normal as they have always been. The not wanting to eat, vomiting, weight loss continued. Had to have meds for nausea and appetite stimulant. She also had diarrhea for 2 months along with everything else. She was just getting worse so we had more blood work and this time it shows she is now diabetic.

So 4 months in on this food and she was very sick. We took her off of it, went to low carb single ingredient foods and started insulin and she is like her old self again. The vomiting and other issues stopped after getting her off this food. She's on insulin now and doing good. Recently found out that the z/d she was on is 34% carbs! No way should a cat be eating that many carbs. Wish I had researched before giving her the food. Hopefully she will have a long life ahead of her now.

Original review: July 17, 2020

My experience with Hills C/D Urinary Care has been satisfactory when it comes to the health benefits, as my cat, Junior T has not had any urinary tract issues since only eating this food. He has been eating this food for about twelve to thirteen years now. Unfortunately, the dry is only available in seafood and chicken. I believe the dry comes in three sizes. The canned offers a little more variety with vegetables. He gets the canned food as a treat as I find it to be very costly, more so than the dry. The canned is available in two sizes. Both varieties (canned and dry) are only available at an animal hospital and with a doctor's recommendation or order.

Original review: July 5, 2020

We thought a more expensive brand would provide our indoor cat a long and healthy life. Instead it took her from us way too early and we are devastated. I wish I researched more and kept checking over the years. Hills changed their indoor cat food ingredients and products about a year or more ago and our cat hated the change. I called Hills and they confirmed they had made changes. I had to get the smaller sized dry food for our cat to start eating it again and we also gave her the wet can food too at least once a week. Well her behavior changed and after senior tests for a cat not even 9 years old, we got the bad news... kidney disease and she was already too far along. A healthy cat!! Indoor. This should never have happened. Don't buy or trust Hills and research your pets food constantly. I'll never put my trust into one brand when it comes to my pet. It did not pay off and took our Godiva way too early.

Original review: July 2, 2020

My purebred 9 yr old Ragdoll is a little overweight. He's very content with just the 1/2 cup of bikkies but enjoys 1 tspn wet food (Hills Prescription Diet wet food Skin/Food Sensitivities z/d original flavour). He's slowly losing weight which is fantastic for his health. I'm more than happy with the Vet (Greencross Vets at Caloundra, Sunshine Coast in Australia). They love him! Couldn't ask for better care.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Quality Issues - Highly Diluted with Gravy. Ordered a batch of Prescription Cat Food in October then again in January. Several tins that I received in January contain way less substance - far more liquid than my previous orders. While Chewy customer service sent a replacement, that delivery had the same consistency - mainly gravy. Cancelled my autoship, looking for another brand.

Hills Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information