2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Hills Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: July 17, 2020

My experience with Hills C/D Urinary Care has been satisfactory when it comes to the health benefits, as my cat, Junior T has not had any urinary tract issues since only eating this food. He has been eating this food for about twelve to thirteen years now. Unfortunately, the dry is only available in seafood and chicken. I believe the dry comes in three sizes. The canned offers a little more variety with vegetables. He gets the canned food as a treat as I find it to be very costly, more so than the dry. The canned is available in two sizes. Both varieties (canned and dry) are only available at an animal hospital and with a doctor's recommendation or order.

Original review: July 2, 2020

My purebred 9 yr old Ragdoll is a little overweight. He's very content with just the 1/2 cup of bikkies but enjoys 1 tspn wet food (Hills Prescription Diet wet food Skin/Food Sensitivities z/d original flavour). He's slowly losing weight which is fantastic for his health. I'm more than happy with the Vet (Greencross Vets at Caloundra, Sunshine Coast in Australia). They love him! Couldn't ask for better care.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have been buying this brand for over 15 years. I have never had any issues, other than the K/D wet food consistency could be better as my 23 year old cat at the time was not a fan of it unless I mixed it with the K/D kibble as well. Going back though, my sweet old cat lived to be 23 years old. I loved this food as it added on years to his life, I was surprised to get, as his kidneys started to fail due to his age at 20. My old timer also ate this food with only the wet food issue as stated above, although he did like the veggie stew flavor a lot in the wet food and would eat that one regardless. That one being veggie stew though was hard to find though. My vet would have to order more in for me. So it was normally the chicken wet K/D he needed kibble mixed into as it's a paste.

I have another older cat who is 18 and he has been on the 11+ food since I got him when he was 12 from a shelter. It's amazing what it did for his hair and coat. When I first got him he felt like an old towel. His coat got so soft and shiny after this food and remains so. He is also very healthy for his age and has no health issues. I have a kitten. Well almost 1 year old cat now, too. He is also on this brand. I feed him the kitten stage and was just researching the adult brand to switch him to and saw these reviews and honestly was shocked at some.

I understand some have had issues, but some appear to be unrelated. Also, obviously if you find something in your pet food that doesn't look like it belongs in there don't feed it to your pets, common sense. (I personally have never found any quality or product issues with this brand. It is very consistent.) I always see a lot of back and forth regarding Hill's. The price is also quite a lot. I always research any food changes and Hills always comes out on top. Also every veterinarian has recommended them to me, with good reason. They are a good and reputable company and brand! I'm also no vet, so I won't pretend to be someone that knows much about cat food other than what I can read online and try to sort through... just 'cause it's online doesn't make it true.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

My 13 year old cat had been healthy all her life but last year developed a food allergy and licked a lot of her hair off. The vet wanted us to try Hills z/d. We did and within weeks her hair started to grow back. But a couple months in and she started vomiting, refusing to eat. We ended up in the ER because she was dehydrated. At that point her blood tests were normal as they have always been. The not wanting to eat, vomiting, weight loss continued. Had to have meds for nausea and appetite stimulant. She also had diarrhea for 2 months along with everything else. She was just getting worse so we had more blood work and this time it shows she is now diabetic.

So 4 months in on this food and she was very sick. We took her off of it, went to low carb single ingredient foods and started insulin and she is like her old self again. The vomiting and other issues stopped after getting her off this food. She's on insulin now and doing good. Recently found out that the z/d she was on is 34% carbs! No way should a cat be eating that many carbs. Wish I had researched before giving her the food. Hopefully she will have a long life ahead of her now.

Original review: July 5, 2020

We thought a more expensive brand would provide our indoor cat a long and healthy life. Instead it took her from us way too early and we are devastated. I wish I researched more and kept checking over the years. Hills changed their indoor cat food ingredients and products about a year or more ago and our cat hated the change. I called Hills and they confirmed they had made changes. I had to get the smaller sized dry food for our cat to start eating it again and we also gave her the wet can food too at least once a week. Well her behavior changed and after senior tests for a cat not even 9 years old, we got the bad news... kidney disease and she was already too far along. A healthy cat!! Indoor. This should never have happened. Don't buy or trust Hills and research your pets food constantly. I'll never put my trust into one brand when it comes to my pet. It did not pay off and took our Godiva way too early.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Quality Issues - Highly Diluted with Gravy. Ordered a batch of Prescription Cat Food in October then again in January. Several tins that I received in January contain way less substance - far more liquid than my previous orders. While Chewy customer service sent a replacement, that delivery had the same consistency - mainly gravy. Cancelled my autoship, looking for another brand.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I have raised cats on Hills food for 65 years and was totally happy with the product and had several cats live into their 20s. Several months ago the formula was changed from adults to the above. I found not only did my cats seem to like it less but their coats started to lose luster and shed. (I have 7 rescue cats) Lakata a 4 year old Maine Coon X was said to be over weight so vet put her on Metabolic for weight loss. She lost 500 grams in about 14 months. After a few months on this food she started to have very dry skin and dandruff, also drinks way more water than she ever did. Had her tested for allergies none.

When I called New Zealand Office to inquire what had changed I was told they had no idea period. Asked could they find. Was told NO that would be up to me. Called Australian office, met with equal lack of courtesy and knowledge. Pretty much said one thing had changed and the packing that was all and if I was that concerned about the cats perhaps I should go with the flow or change to another food. Good luck finding a better one. Still using product but have concerns for future health of cats 2 years up to 15 years. I think Hills should be more open about the changes. Have yet to find another food my cats will eat. Only other food they have is fresh veal once a day. No people food. Am off to vet this afternoon to see why my 3 year old is developing patches of black heads under her chin and if it is associated with the food. They did not start until a few weeks after the change. Paulette **.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

My 15-year-old cat was diagnosed with thyroid disease and Hill's Y/d food was recommended as a conservative alternative to medication. She would have to be on this food for her lifetime. My cat loved the food, and her thyroid readings were back to normal within a week. HOWEVER, a few months later, she was vomiting a lot, sometimes 2-3 times a day, and missing her litter box or pooping on the floor of another room. She had never done this before. NOTHING in her routine had changed. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with KIDNEY FAILURE. She was severely dehydrated as well, and she had stopped eating and drinking and was very lethargic, so we tried to keep her as comfortable as possible, but for cats, this is always a death sentence. Less than two weeks later, I had to put her to sleep, three days short of her 16th birthday.

I see that Hill's doesn't have very good reviews, and some are very similar to mine. While I have no proof that this brand was instrumental in her sudden decline, I find it very disturbing that an otherwise healthy cat who initially responded very favorably to the diet should suddenly be dying. Currently, I have a 4-year-old cat who was diagnosed with possible bladder stones. The vet recommended several prescription brands, but you can be sure I didn't select Hill's. When I googled "hill's thyroid cat food causes kidney failure", I found an article by one of Hills' own veterinarians -- not exactly objective, right? I'm worried that the brand I chose for my cat now may also cause long-term damage. It seems that, like human medications, pet meds and prescription foods also contraindicate to the point of fatality. Look at all the class-action lawsuits, most recently, Zantac. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

My cat had a seizure after taking a few bites of wet food about a month ago. I had never seen him have one before. I am not sure if it was Hills KD for sure because I also have a cat who eats the CD canned Hills food. I was so worried about him that I did not check the food since I did not think that the food would have caused a seizure so quickly. I have been feeding him a low protein food since then but bought a can of Hills KD pate today from my vet. Phantom took 3 bites and again started to seize and lost his bowel control. He is now sleeping quietly.

I cannot say 100% that it was KD that he ate the first time but the incident of 3 bites and seizing suggests that the food caused the seizure. That means what ever is in it was rapidly absorbed through the mucus tissue of the mouth which is scary. I will be contacting Hills concerning this and posting on FB to ask if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am never using Hills again for any of my cats.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My 8-year-old Ginger cat was overweighted, however, the annual blood test and half-year check were fine for the past 7 years. Then local vet recommended Hills Metabolic cat food Weight management for him to lose some weight. After ten months, he lost 2 kg and weak on joints. Now the vet diagnosed Diabetic on him from the extremely high Blood Glouces Level. I understand that it might be an individual case depend on cats but please consider before you feed your cats.

Hills Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information