2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.96/5

Hills Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have been buying this brand for over 15 years. I have never had any issues, other than the K/D wet food consistency could be better as my 23 year old cat at the time was not a fan of it unless I mixed it with the K/D kibble as well. Going back though, my sweet old cat lived to be 23 years old. I loved this food as it added on years to his life, I was surprised to get, as his kidneys started to fail due to his age at 20. My old timer also ate this food with only the wet food issue as stated above, although he did like the veggie stew flavor a lot in the wet food and would eat that one regardless. That one being veggie stew though was hard to find though. My vet would have to order more in for me. So it was normally the chicken wet K/D he needed kibble mixed into as it's a paste.

I have another older cat who is 18 and he has been on the 11+ food since I got him when he was 12 from a shelter. It's amazing what it did for his hair and coat. When I first got him he felt like an old towel. His coat got so soft and shiny after this food and remains so. He is also very healthy for his age and has no health issues. I have a kitten. Well almost 1 year old cat now, too. He is also on this brand. I feed him the kitten stage and was just researching the adult brand to switch him to and saw these reviews and honestly was shocked at some.

I understand some have had issues, but some appear to be unrelated. Also, obviously if you find something in your pet food that doesn't look like it belongs in there don't feed it to your pets, common sense. (I personally have never found any quality or product issues with this brand. It is very consistent.) I always see a lot of back and forth regarding Hill's. The price is also quite a lot. I always research any food changes and Hills always comes out on top. Also every veterinarian has recommended them to me, with good reason. They are a good and reputable company and brand! I'm also no vet, so I won't pretend to be someone that knows much about cat food other than what I can read online and try to sort through... just 'cause it's online doesn't make it true.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I realize that many other posters have had trouble with this prescription cat food, but my cat was prescribed it after having a bad bout of cystitis. He has never had it recur again and he loves the taste, and won't eat anything else. So my experience has been very positive.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a Persian male, rescued from outdoors, looked for an owner because 1) He was a Persian and 2) all 4 paws were declawed. When I brought him to a vet and had his health checked, the vet estimated his age to be about 2 years. I had him for 20 years! He did have a urinary tract issue, which is common in male cats, at which time I switched him to C/D and then he was fine. He was healthy happy and friendly all his long life.

I now have a Female Persian who is 13yo (not declawed) and has eaten nothing but Science Diet dry food, she doesn't eat much canned food or treats. She started on kitten, then went to the next age group Hairball control and now eats mature 7+ Hairball control. She's never had a problem. In fact, I recently brought her to a vet because she wasn't eating. She had blood tests, urinalysis, x-rays. All came back fantastic. Turns out she had a cold and her tiny Persian nose was was clogged so she couldn't smell anything. If cats can't smell it, they won't eat it. Antibiotic for the cold and she's back to being her self. I stumbled on this while looking for a new store to get my cat's food because the places I've been going to are closing down. I wrote this review because there were so many negative ones. I don't think people are getting both sides. I will only buy Science Diet, that's what I was looking for in the first place!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Quality Issues - Highly Diluted with Gravy. Ordered a batch of Prescription Cat Food in October then again in January. Several tins that I received in January contain way less substance - far more liquid than my previous orders. While Chewy customer service sent a replacement, that delivery had the same consistency - mainly gravy. Cancelled my autoship, looking for another brand.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I have raised cats on Hills food for 65 years and was totally happy with the product and had several cats live into their 20s. Several months ago the formula was changed from adults to the above. I found not only did my cats seem to like it less but their coats started to lose luster and shed. (I have 7 rescue cats) Lakata a 4 year old Maine Coon X was said to be over weight so vet put her on Metabolic for weight loss. She lost 500 grams in about 14 months. After a few months on this food she started to have very dry skin and dandruff, also drinks way more water than she ever did. Had her tested for allergies none.

When I called New Zealand Office to inquire what had changed I was told they had no idea period. Asked could they find. Was told NO that would be up to me. Called Australian office, met with equal lack of courtesy and knowledge. Pretty much said one thing had changed and the packing that was all and if I was that concerned about the cats perhaps I should go with the flow or change to another food. Good luck finding a better one. Still using product but have concerns for future health of cats 2 years up to 15 years. I think Hills should be more open about the changes. Have yet to find another food my cats will eat. Only other food they have is fresh veal once a day. No people food. Am off to vet this afternoon to see why my 3 year old is developing patches of black heads under her chin and if it is associated with the food. They did not start until a few weeks after the change. Paulette **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hills Cat Food?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

My 15-year-old cat was diagnosed with thyroid disease and Hill's Y/d food was recommended as a conservative alternative to medication. She would have to be on this food for her lifetime. My cat loved the food, and her thyroid readings were back to normal within a week. HOWEVER, a few months later, she was vomiting a lot, sometimes 2-3 times a day, and missing her litter box or pooping on the floor of another room. She had never done this before. NOTHING in her routine had changed. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with KIDNEY FAILURE. She was severely dehydrated as well, and she had stopped eating and drinking and was very lethargic, so we tried to keep her as comfortable as possible, but for cats, this is always a death sentence. Less than two weeks later, I had to put her to sleep, three days short of her 16th birthday.

I see that Hill's doesn't have very good reviews, and some are very similar to mine. While I have no proof that this brand was instrumental in her sudden decline, I find it very disturbing that an otherwise healthy cat who initially responded very favorably to the diet should suddenly be dying. Currently, I have a 4-year-old cat who was diagnosed with possible bladder stones. The vet recommended several prescription brands, but you can be sure I didn't select Hill's. When I googled "hill's thyroid cat food causes kidney failure", I found an article by one of Hills' own veterinarians -- not exactly objective, right? I'm worried that the brand I chose for my cat now may also cause long-term damage. It seems that, like human medications, pet meds and prescription foods also contraindicate to the point of fatality. Look at all the class-action lawsuits, most recently, Zantac. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

My cat had a seizure after taking a few bites of wet food about a month ago. I had never seen him have one before. I am not sure if it was Hills KD for sure because I also have a cat who eats the CD canned Hills food. I was so worried about him that I did not check the food since I did not think that the food would have caused a seizure so quickly. I have been feeding him a low protein food since then but bought a can of Hills KD pate today from my vet. Phantom took 3 bites and again started to seize and lost his bowel control. He is now sleeping quietly.

I cannot say 100% that it was KD that he ate the first time but the incident of 3 bites and seizing suggests that the food caused the seizure. That means what ever is in it was rapidly absorbed through the mucus tissue of the mouth which is scary. I will be contacting Hills concerning this and posting on FB to ask if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am never using Hills again for any of my cats.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My 8-year-old Ginger cat was overweighted, however, the annual blood test and half-year check were fine for the past 7 years. Then local vet recommended Hills Metabolic cat food Weight management for him to lose some weight. After ten months, he lost 2 kg and weak on joints. Now the vet diagnosed Diabetic on him from the extremely high Blood Glouces Level. I understand that it might be an individual case depend on cats but please consider before you feed your cats.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Today I took my cat in to the vet to get his nails clipped like I do every 6 weeks and before leaving saw some cans of Hill's k/d near checkout I hadn't noticed before. I asked about cost for a can or two just to let my big boy kitty possibly try some because he likes to have new tastes here and there. I ended up buying a large can of the kidney care (k/d) wet food and also a small can of the Digestive Care (i/d) wet food as well. I opened the large can of kidney care about a half hour ago to feed my kitty and to my surprise saw this off-whitish small glob right on top of the wet food which I have to say looks like a loogie of spit which is completely disgusting. I immediately tried to reach my vet's office where I bought these cans today to ask if this is normal to expect on the food but they close early Saturday and I just missed them.

Then I thought I should look online to see if anyone else has posted any other information similar to my situation or if Hills website offers any insight to what this "thing" is sitting right in the middle of what was supposed to be kitty's lunch but found nothing regarding this issue. Now what I did see was many many many other types of serious issues addressed by pet owners regarding declining health or rapid sickness which sound like are due to this Hill's Brand Dog and Cat Food (wet and dry food). These reviews are very serious issues that I feel no pet owner should have to be dealing with as well as no pets of course.

Most importantly these issues shouldn't be caused by any pet food company regardless especially one like Hill's which states they use quality safe ingredients that apparently help various health concerns when it clearly does the opposite, hurting many innocent pets who are just trying to eat a good healthy meal or in my case can't even try the food because it has some nasty glob pressed into the wet food which is God knows what. All these "top notch" claims by the company as well as vet's offices nationwide support of sales seem like nothing more than false advertising or uneducated belief of this being as great as it states... Because if these heartfelt sincere stories I have read on this review thread here today were read by those who make and distribute/sell these items then maybe it would force this company to stop making food that makes animals so sick, even to the point of killing them!

All it should take is the entities whom support this company really stop and read or for God's sake listen to the various stories just right here regarding this brand of food and its correlations to many dogs and cats health issues after consumption, then I would like to think that would at least affect how much of these products are being sold by vets offices or pet stores at least until this company makes some serious changes that are of benefit to our pet's health instead of hurting them. I know this is a big hope I express but dang it, why is it ok for any pet food maker to mass produce God knows what that makes so many animals whom eat it very unhealthy or even die in some cases or have recalls left and right or let random things get into the food that shouldn't be in it whether it be what I found in my can today or the black glass type grounds found mixed up in another reviewers doggies food...

Why is this continuing without any progress to healthier standards or safer practices from all the consumer complaints or outreach? Hill's denies any issues repeatedly and only addresses the minimum when it has become a recall. Companies who choose to not listen to what their customers enjoy or immensely dislike and continue to make unappealing or bad goods will not stay in business very long. It shows already as many of your once customers have stopped purchasing any Hill's products and have instead found a much better food that doesn't cause sickness like the products by Hill's are causing. Those customers and now myself, a potential regular customer are now getting our pet's needs handled elsewhere or will be instead.

I personally don't want to take any chances with losing my kitty by feeding him something bad. I mean the first can I buy has something foreign on it that looks way nasty which is instead going to be fed to my garbage disposal. I really hope Hill's can turn this situation around instead of saying nothing is even a problem each time a pet parent contacts them to ask why their pet is say dying from the bad food they have eaten... And instead took each call with serious concern the way each should be. My heart goes out to all of those that reviewed and I also thank you for each one as well as each supplied some insight to why I should just dump both cans I purchased and to seek out a better brand for my buddy to eat. One more thing... If anyone else has seen the same cream colored thing on their cat's wet food upon opening can you tell me? Thank you in advance.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I took my cat in and vet suggested Hills Metabolic Dry Cat Food. He was required to have bloodwork beforehand. Bloodwork came back great. Two years later we had to him him euthanized for diabetes. He was fine before - I believe this cat food killed him. By the way, he was never fed table food. Nothing but Hills.

Not sure about Hills Cat Food?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Hills Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

The Hills family of pet foods always makes the list when discussing premium options, in large part due to their unique formulas and prescription options.

• Prescription food available: Hills makes prescription formulas to address health issues such as skin conditions, kidney disease and many other problems.

• Wet or dry formulas: Since both types of food have their advantages, Hills offers both.

• Jumbo can sizes: Wet food gets expensive, so Hills offers a jumbo can that is more cost-effective.

• Special formulas for non-prescription problems: Hills formulas address a variety of dietary needs, including kitten development and weight control.

• Created by vets: All Hills’ products are formulated by veterinarians to ensure the best and healthiest recipes are available for cats of all ages and breeds.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Hills Cat Food Company Information