2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Friskies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friskies?

Original review: March 20, 2021

Fed Butterbob and Julie Friskies Chicken and Salmon Shreds in gravy on Thursday evening, 3/11/21. They stopped eating and became very lethargic. Heavy discharge from their eyes. They didn't eat or drink anything for 4 days. Then Julie started drinking water. Butterbob started drinking again on day #5, Weds. but still died on Thursday 3/18/21. Julie's now eating but is a bag of bones from weight loss. Still very low energy. She usually eats Friskies Turkey & Giblets so, who knows how long she'll last. my top two suspicious cans are 03391157 L83680281 and 03391157 L83680155. Also, not ruling out 10461157 L54051219 Turkey & Giblets but I'd already fed them several of those.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I purchased multipack (48 cans, 3 flavors, shredded and bits type) of Friskies at Sam’s Club to give it a try. In the past, I was purchasing individual Friskies cans in the local grocery stores, various flavors of pate, shreds and bits and had no problem. After I started using cans from the multipack, my cat started puking everything right after the meal, often several times in a row until she could puke yellow liquid. In the morning I feed her with wet food and in the evening with the dry food. I use Kirkland brand dry food from Costco. My cat was taking dry food in the evening without problems and was able to hold it well.

I started searching on the internet about this issue, which immediately took me to the different websites stating that many owners had same issues as me using Friskies cans produced at certain plants. All cans I had in a multipack were produced in plants 1157, 1159, 1161. I do not know what is the reason, was something changed in the cat’s food production technology or something else, but my cat definitely had issues after I started using cans from this multipack. Cans were not expired.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Both of our cats came down with severe diarrhea (some actually bloody) and vomiting after eating Friskies shreds with batch number 1159 which others have posted as causing similar distress. An analysis of the feces revealed a high level of clostridium. Both cats have recovered but only after one was hospitalized for two days.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

My cat loves Friskies wet food. That is until recently. She used to devour her bowl and lick it clean and the past week she licks the gravy and maybe takes one bite before walking away. I am concerned so I decided to look into this. I read about a lot number ending in 1157 and that's what I have! I'm not feeding her the rest of these cans! Thankfully she is acting normal besides not eating her wet food. I can't believe that Friskies would allow this to go on! All for profit? Greedy corporations are the worst, my blood is boiling for all the pain people are feeling who lost their fur babies due to this bad batch! I will not be buying Friskies again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I so wish I would have checked this site a month ago. I just had to put my cat down a week ago. I am beyond devastated. He was my baby, and I miss him so. He was 12 years old and his teeth were not the best anymore, so I was feeding him Friskies can food only. Salmon, fish, and chicken pate variety. I spent over seven hundred dollars at veterinarian clinic, and all his tests came back good. I then had four more cats develop vomiting and diarrhea, but they didn't have the back leg weekness that he did. I immediately stopped the can food, but it was too late for my Mitty. Since I stopped the Friskies can food, the other four have recovered and eating again. The cans I have saved have the lot# ending 1157. Please if you care about your cat, Don't Buy Friskies. I had to figure this out the hard way.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

Certain Friskies canned food Chicken and Ocean Fish Pate made one of my cats violently ill with vomiting and diarrhea. He's lethargic and won't come out from under the bed. I had always fed my cats the shreds until this summer when they started throwing up on them. I notified Friskies and they denied any problems with the shreds and sent me some free coupons, which I used for the pate varieties.

They were doing well on the pate until this past week, when they started refusing any of the cans with fish in it. When I tried the chicken and fish yesterday, two of the cats wouldn't touch it; the third one ate his. By afternoon he was vomiting and sick and his diarrhea was so bad. He was losing it on the way to the litter box. He is very, very sick today, and if he dies my husband says he'll sue Purina. Interestingly, when we went to the store yesterday there wasn't a single can of Friskies on the shelf. It was completely bare. Friskies can claim nothing's going on but the bare shelf tells the story. I have a friend who said on Facebook this same cat food made his cats throw up too.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I just started to feed my kittens a little canned food to see if they would like it. They ate it but later that day they started to vomit and developed diarrhea. I have been feeding them canned tuna and cooked chicken, beef, etc. with no problem. Three of the four of them are better after vomiting up most of the food. One of them is very lethargic and just sleeps. She will not eat or drink and if she dies this will be one of many bad reviews I will leave for this garbage they are selling. I will never feed this stuff to my pets ever again and I have used and trusted this brand for years. Do not buy this.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Like other reviewers on here, everything was fine until it wasn't. This week I got a new batch of Friskies wet cat food at the store, and it's bad (batch 1161.) I've never been around such a stench in my life.. Cat literally has endless farts, as bad as dog farts, for two days straight, all day and all night. He also has diarrhea with a stench that made me puke. Just disgusting. I decided to see what was up with this food, when along comes this page. When I realized I had one of the "unlucky" batches I immediately switched him to dry food. I don't even trust wet food anymore. The poor guy is gassing me out as I type, non-stop death farts from hell. I feel really sorry for him. I can only hope I caught this in time and he'll be okay. I'M NEVER BUYING FRISKIES AGAIN.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Just today we put our beloved Bella to sleep due to oral squamous cell carcinoma. The issue was just noticed about a week ago when she started drooling and began to eat less. We took her to the vet and discovered the mass on the roof of her mouth. We hoped it was an abscessed tooth and made an appointment this past Monday for today to put her under anesthesia to examine. A short time ago our vet called with the news. We chose to let her continue to sleep instead of waking her and being in more pain.

During the last few days, although hoping for an abscess, we search the web and found a few issues that gave us some hope, such as feline stomatitis, but we prepared for the worse as we saw an article regarding canned cat food that contained tuna. There are a few major contributing circumstances to feline Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma; 2nd hand smoke (we are a smoke free home), use of flea collars (both Bella and Luna are indoor cats and never had a flea collar, and lastly, canned cat food with tuna.

There are no warnings on Friskies cans, there's no insight to the issue until it's too late. If we would have know there was a slight chance of causing cancer in either of our cats we would not have given them canned food with tuna. The flavors our cats like are Shreds Tuna and Whitefish, Tasty Treasures with Tuna, Prime Filets with Chicken and Salmon, etc. For the most part, our cats were eating tuna twice per day. Bella, our larger cat ate the majority of the food while our smaller Luna at some wet and some dry. Again, if there was a warning on the can or provided by Purina we would never have feed them tuna. Never again will we feed or cats a Purina brand food.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I've fed my cat this food for years. No issues until Summer 2020. My cat started throwing up and having other issues. I've taken him to the vet lethargic and dehydrated three times since this summer. I just checked the batch number of the cans I fed him. They are from batch #1159. I will never buy this food again. I'm taking cat to the vet tomorrow again. He is seriously dehydrated, lethargic, and vomiting green bile. I wish I had realised this sooner and I am praying he will recover.

Friskies Company Information