1.18/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

139 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I wrote to Purina about my cats getting sick and throwing up eating Fancy Feast. Their reply this was an uncommon occurrence... I see it's all lies after reading all the reviews. This is an American company that has their food processed in Thailand. Read reviews about pet food made in Thailand. The label says fit for human consumption and pets are dying! All companies seem to be going this route. And another thing... Don't buy pet food from Amazon... The food is counterfeit! I have had to return cases of food... Weruva and Fancy Feast. The last item I returned was Fancy Feast Fillets which is suppose to be 100% chicken, tuna and salmon. My cats threw up for two days and would not touch it... Yikes! Please read the labels and buy USA PRODUCTS. Other countries are not regulated with food products requirements as in the USA.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Vomiting and Ocean Whitefish and Tuna classic pate. I have been using Ocean Whitefish and Tuna classic pate for years. One of my cats has digestive issues and it's the only one that works. Now, some of the cans are browner and are making my cats sick. I have 3 cats that eat it and use 5 cans a day. I just called Purina and they said they haven't changed the formula. Any ideas? One of my cats won't eat anything else.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We adopted a 14-yr old cat who is extremely finicky. She will only eat Fancy Feast Pate. Since January 2019 she has been throwing up daily. I have found pieces of rubber and other unidentifiable things in it. This is not a cat who will just chew on anything. I’m convinced it’s in the food.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I've been feeding my cats Fancy Feast Classic Chicken pate for years. I've tried premium brands of cat food, but my cats won't touch it, so FF Classic Chicken has been a go-to. However, within the last 2 months or so, like others here, my cats haven't finished it, and the one cat who basically eats everything has vomited profusely within hours of eating it. She was so sick the last time that we thought we'd have to take her to the vet. I switched them to another food, and the vomiting stopped, almost immediately. Something has gone wrong with Fancy Feast.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast wet food for years and years. I have 5 cats now, so I decided to save a little money and start buying the 30-can pate (Beef & Poultry) and Seafood Feast. I have not tried the Seafood Feast, but my cats will suddenly not touch the Beef & Poultry except for one cat who will eat anything. That cat just vomited up her food a few minutes ago, and it was enough to get me to come out here and check some reviews. Amazing... so many people having similar issues recently.

I quickly changed out their wet food with a can of Science Diet I had. (No, I do not represent SD in any way -- the stuff is expensive). But my cats dove into it like they were starving and licked their bowls clean. (I also have them using the Sure-Feed feeders, so I know exactly what each of them eats, and how much). Something is up with FF for sure, and I'm going to pitch about $60 in food I just purchased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My cats have eaten the FF Pate flavors for years but for the past couple of months they have not been finishing it when they normally clean the plates and they have been throwing up, sometime immediately after taking a few bites. I buy the 24 can box and yesterday got to the beef flavor and 2 of my cats backed away from their food and would not touch it. My latest rescue cat who eats everything took a couple of bites of his and then walked away, crying to me. I opened 3 more cans of this same flavor and they would walk up and smell it and walk away. It looked ok and did not smell spoiled but I knew something was wrong.

Later my cat that took a couple of bites started having bad diarrhea. I emailed Fancy Feast and took the couple of cans back to Publix and filled out a report and the manager said they would send it off to FF for testing. Now that I have read these reviews I think something has changed with the product or packaging that is causing health issues.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My cat had pushed the half eaten can back in the closet, when I found it there was lots of black hair growing out of the can. I did learn that it was probably pig hair. Can anyone explain this or have others had this experience?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

In fall of 2018, my cat began to exhibit signs of sickness. About a month earlier, he began to refuse to eat his dry food and therefore would only eat Fancy Feast exclusively. Over the course of October, November and December of 2018, he grew to be more and more sick. When I took him to the vet, they could not determine what was wrong with him. He was losing tons of weight, developed allergies on his skin, and grew to be very discontent. Sometimes, he would just stand in one place for hours staring off at the wall. He seemed very out of it. His behavior continued to change and he grew more and more weak.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I noticed that the fur on his back legs and belly began to come off. It looked really infected so I took him into the vet. They determined that he had developed a severe food allergy and that I must change his food immediately. I tried, but unfortunately, it was too late. Although he had been given multiple rounds of antibiotics from the vet, he grew sicker and sicker until he could barely walk and refused to eat. Last Wednesday, January 24th, 2019, he passed away in my living room.

I wish that I had known how toxic Fancy Feast is sooner so I could have changed his food months ago and avoided it. I am heartbroken. My cat went from lively and healthy to sickly and dead within months. After reading all of the posts here, I see that this is happening to many others. Is a class action lawsuit something we could pursue? Anyone?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My cat is 10 years old, been feeding her FF all this time. Right before Thanksgiving 2018 she began to vomit after eating, it got to be several times a day and in the middle of the night. Took her the vet, actually 3 different vets and they could not find anything wrong with her. So, I took it upon myself to change her food. My baby has not been sick since. I believe people in the stores that sells FF knows it is toxic. Because I returned all of my baby's food and mentioned it started to make her sick, they say nothing. 2 stores I have returned FF and told both stores it's now making my baby sick, they say nothing.

Not I am sorry, offer another brand, they say nothing at all. I find that odd. Purina sold out to a company named Mars, I found out since then our babies are getting ill and passing away. DON'T. BUY THIS FOOD! We need to put this company out of business! I am even going to call my local TV stations to see if something can be done to get the word out. Good luck everyone, much love to all your/our fur babies.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Fancy Feast is toxic! My cats were eating it for a year without any problems until 3 weeks ago when it caused my cat to get severe pancreatitis which was ultimately fatal. It had to be euthanized today after several vet visits. My other cat is also sick from eating Fancy Feast. She has been lethargic and vomiting but will hopefully survive. The ingredients have obvious changed and now contain toxins! I see that several others have also been affected that have written reviews in this site and I’m sure countless other animals have died or become sick. I will call Purina but that won't bring my beloved cat back. It’s unacceptable and cruel these tragedies occur due to the incompetent manufacturing process and lack of product testing.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have been dealing with tan-colored poop ever since December. Been feeding my cat FF for six months, since Dec she has been turning her nose up at it. Before Dec, FF has been a hit or miss. When I switched brands which my cat doesn't like but will eat out of hunger, her poop will be perfectly normal. I am terrified of parasites or pancreatic/liver problems now. Please do NOT give your cats FF. My cat now rejects most FF cans I give her, and I'm starting to doubt if it's really pickiness, and believing that it's unethical food production.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had bought Fancy Feast about 2 weeks ago for my kitten because it was on sale. She is very lethargic now. I took her to the vet and they said her temperature was very high and she was dehydrated. But they are not sure why. I am now giving her medication and it is not helping her. She can barely walk now. I just put two and two together, and realized since I've been feeding her the Fancy Feast she started to get really sick. I have been feeding it to her even up until today, until I realized this might be the reason. I now think she is dying. I'm so upset with this. Is there any way that I can have the food tested to know if that is the reason?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

For the past 10 of my kitties 11 years he has had no issue with Fancy Feast. 4 days ago he vomited after 20mins of him eating. He lost all enthusiasm for dinner time (you need to picture Garfield but colored like normal) After reading the other comments on this page my wife went out and bought a non Purina owned cat food and night and day difference. It has been 30 mins and he is acting like his old self. Seeing so many others had the worse case scenario, my heart aches. Our fur babies deserve the best. I hope Purina will take action with whatever it is that's affecting their customers' pets.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My extremely finicky 13 month old cat has been eating Fancy Feast for most of his life, he was very happy and healthy on it. In the last 2 weeks I noticed he would only eat half of the can but I wasn't too concerned because he was still eating his high quality dry food. A week ago he developed severe diarrhea and was a very sick kitty, I held back his food and made him bland chicken and he was feeling better but as soon as he ate a quarter can of Fancy Feast he was right back in the litter box with watery diarrhea. I returned all 41 cans I had and bought a different brand, he is so much better now.

I'm really happy that I found this before I spent thousands on vet visits. I don't know if they changed their formula or if bacteria got in the foods but I will never buy this food again. Big thanks to Walmart for taking it back and letting me get Pure Balance which he has been eating for 3 days now without issues and his coat even feels silkier than it ever has. I'm so happy he is healthy and happy again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Am weighing in because of all the negative reviews I just read. Honestly FF is my go-to brand because I know our cats will eat it. Am mystified and appalled that so many reviewers have had such different experiences. Indoor cat favors the seafood wet and dry food, Outdoor cat favors the chicken wet and dry food. They seem to enjoy their meals, especially the Gravy Lovers wet food. At their check-ups the vets have found them happy and healthy. I don't know what to make of the bad experiences some here have reported. I feel very bad for those owners and their cats, but as long as my cats continue eating it, I'll keep buying it for them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My cat loves various flavors of Fancy Feast! He's healthy and happy and my vet friend recommends them. His blood work and vet visits always come back good. He seems to have great energy levels. He's super intelligent and I owe it all to Fancy Feast.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I never buy Fancy Feast but it was on sale at our local Walmart, so I bought 5 cans of the Gravy Lovers Chicken & Beef Feast in Grilled Chicken Flavor Gravy. My two sweet 14 year old cats were in good health. I thought this would be a great treat for them. I divided one can between the two. Cookie ate most of it because Gidget had not arrived yet. I went to call for Gidget and when I returned to where the food was Cookie was gone. We found her two days later dead in our front yard. I had no idea at that time what had happened.

The next day I brought Gidget into the house to feed her. I decided I would give her a can of Fancy Feast for a treat because we were both missing Cookie. She ate the whole can. In about 45 minutes she began to not feel well. I noticed that she was expelling gas and was uncomfortable. By 6:00 p.m. her breathing had become very labored. I had no idea how sick she really was. Every hour she became more ill. She died at 4:46 the next morning. I watched her suffer. She was so very sick. I feel horrible. I have submitted a report to the FDA, called Walmart (they promptly removed the product from their shelves) and also chatted online with the Purina company.

They said they will contact me. Nothing can bring back my sweet girls. I just hope Purina will do the right thing. I found this site by accident when I was trying to research Gidget's symptoms online. I was horrified and then realized that it was the Fancy Feast that killed my two girls. I hope and pray something is done and no one else loses their sweet kitties.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My finicky cats used to LOVE Purina Fancy Feast canned cat food but no longer, they all REFUSE to eat it. Not sure what the problem is. It's not just one type or flavor either - it's ALL OF THEM. One day I noticed a bowl of Fancy Feast Turkey cat food look RED, as if someone poured cherry Kool-Aid in it. I thought someone dropped something in the bowl and disposed of it. A second, uneaten, bowl of Turkey Fancy Feast also turned red. I won't buy this or ANY Purina product. I suspect they moved canning operations to China to save money, at the expense of safe food for cats.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We normally have our cats on a raw food diet supplemented with some tinned food for convenience. We normally do not purchase Fancy Feast but recently bought some Fancy Feast because it was on special and significantly reduced. All our cats are healthy and are shown regular in cat shows and Royal Shows and have regular vet checks. I stumbled across this page and everything became a lot clearer in hindsight. We recently moved house and had no raw food available so started serving the Fancy Feast; my older cat started throwing up but we thought she was eating too fast. The others seemed to go off their food but we thought it was the stress of a new house; the youngest (2 years) however ate the Fancy Feast. He became lethargic and went off his food. The vet put him on antibiotics but he never regained his appetite and died on day 4.

In my struggle to encourage him to eat, I unknowingly offered the gravy from Fancy Feast - which he rejected anyway. Having read the other testimonials and reconsidered recent events, I believe feeding my cat Fancy Feast contributed to his sudden change from a healthy cat to death within days of ingesting Fancy Feast. The older cat's vomiting stopped when we returned to their normal diet. It does seem strange that a healthy cat who hadn't had Fancy Feast before dies suddenly within days of eating it. We should start a class action as this is disgusting behaviour on behalf of the company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My two indoor cats were extremely ill after eating Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish and Tuna over a year ago. While Purina conducted testing of remaining cans from the batch, they said they found nothing amiss, though of course they could not test the food already consumed. In December I purchased more of this food as my cats will eat nothing else. There was a foul stench in my pantry for about 10 days before I opened the box and then a few days later opened a can that was putridly off. I have again alerted Purina and the supplier. The use by date was 05/2020, I note a review by C of Australia who also had off food with the same date. I will also never again buy this food, thankfully Dine have recently released a pate style food that my cats will eat.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

A little over a month ago my 8 year old cat got extremely sick. She could not hold any food in, and was extremely lethargic. It was so scary. She had a pancreatic attack. I have been to the vet with her now 5 times to get treated and for follow ups. The second time at the vet, I did not even think she was coming home. In talking to others who were having the same issues as my cat, we realized they all had something in common. They were all eating the same cat food. My cat has been on antibiotics for 5 weeks now and has one more round coming up.

She is doing better because of the antibiotics, and because I switched her food. I would not recommend this cat food to anyone after what I am hearing. Several times I threw away brand new cans because they just did not seem right to me. I don't know what is happening with this brand anymore, but whatever they are doing is causing so much harm to these poor animals. I normally do not post or make complaints, but if I can save even just one cat from having to go through what my cat went through, it will be worth it. To everyone else out there with the same issue, I hope your cat will be ok.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have been feeding my cat Fancy Feast for about 4 years now. In the past 6 months, he often won't touch his food. My cat is fed a variety of the FF flavours, including the premium food options. It has been hit & miss as to which ones he will eat, when previously, the varieties I have purchased are his favorites. My cat is also vomiting, coughing, is sensitive in the stomach area & is lethargic. When I feed him fresh meat, he improves. Change back to the tin food & he gets sick. What are you putting into the food? Your product is not cheap & I expect better quality. Not a happy consumer.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Can't type well because I have seriously ill cat on my lap. Have a ton of cats. The one lone cat who eats only Fancy Feast starting getting very ill early December. He has been checked and nothing is wrong with him. Finally figured out that it's the Fancy Feast. Projectile vomiting and lethargy. These stories are horrifying. Just like the awfully corrupt Weruva, FF is using overseas cheap processing... Awful. Only buy cat food from Canada or USA.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Both my cats started to refuse Fancy Feast and have digestion problems in December 2018, after eating Fancy Feast for years. Vomiting began and one cat was near death. I have a 2k vet bill now where they could not find the “cause”- cats fine now after NO FF. Maybe we all need a FB page for a lawsuit.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Recently my two Ragdoll cats age 5 and 3 would eat Fancy Feast Chicken grilled in gravy, occasionally the turkey. I got them from a reputable breeder who fed them Life’s Abundance and on rare occasion Fancy Feast. Her cats are champion cats. So they were healthy when I got them. Due to limited funds for the past year they were on Fancy Feast wet & dry. I noticed they both developed stomach irritation, vomiting after eating. And throwing up yellow bile, and became lethargic, did not want to play. Also one started getting sores and rashes on her neck and tail. Now they walk up to the food, sniff it, try to cover it up and walk away. I then bought a can in every flavor and style FF made thinking they were tired of chicken & turkey. Same result, they didn't want anything to do with any of them. They would rather go hungry than eat FF.

This started occurring about 6 months ago when FF no longer packaged the product in the USA and changed it to France. I started suspecting it was their food. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the Life’s Abundance Dry food and tried them on Sheba chicken & turkey. They will eat the good dry food and when they tried Sheba, they scarfed it down like they had not ate in days. NO THROWING UP and they are back to playing again. Also their poo does not stink as before on FF. Fancy Feast has corn and red dye in its dry. What cat needs that? My two previous cats died after a continuous diet on dry & wet Fancy Feast. One developed pancreatic cancer, had surgery and died in recovery. The other one just stopped eating, was throwing up and had to be put to sleep, could not save her. Cost $3,000.00. Both died before they turned age 3!

Never again will I feed my cats Fancy Feast. I have spent a lot of time researching what is the best way to feed them. Although on limited funds, I will only buy the best, nutritional food for my cats. Vet bills I can no longer afford. I pay double for the food now, but their eyes are bright, and fur coats are coming in thick, glossy and they have their energy back. First photo, my 3 year old cat, lost 9 lbs just a few days before we had to put her down. The last two photos, my 2 ragdoll cats getting healthier after I took them off of Fancy Feast. They are thriving now, eyes are bright, and no throwing up.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Like so many others have noted, Fancy Feast canned cat food is changed. And not in a good way. We have a LOT of rescued cats. I stock up on, primarily, the chicken pate recipe, and purchase 4+ cases a month. So I have a stockpile. About 2 months ago, I noticed the color of the food was darker, and none of my cats would eat it. They all love this variety, so I was puzzled. So I pulled a can from the 'older' stockpile, and noticed the color difference, and they happily ate it. Next day, I gave them cans from the newer/changed stockpile, and they won't eat it.

I repeated this for weeks - they will eat the older/unchanged food, but not the newer food. I looked at the ingredients and noticed "meat by products" is the 3rd main ingredient now. There's a lot of info about meat by products, that it contains the carcasses of animals that are put to sleep and the drugs in these carcasses can make your pet sick. I don't know if that's the cause of why we're reading about so many pets getting sick after eating Fancy Feast now, but I know for sure they changed their formula and we no longer buy it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have a very fussy 3 and a half year old Birman cat who will only eat pâtés, mixed occasionally with Fancy Feast grilled chicken, which is the only product I purchase. Today I opened a fresh can of grilled chicken produced on 31/05/2018, use by date 05/2020. The can looked as normal as every other can. Upon opening the can I was shocked to find it completely covered black with fluffy white mold growing on top. This has deeply disturbed me as only two weeks ago he was seriously ill and needing intravenous fluids at the vet after constant vomiting and dehydration followed by diarrhea. The vet initially thought pancreatitis but blood tests showed muscle trauma from vomiting as he is an inside cat and no other cause could be established. I have taken a photo for evidence. I will no longer buy this product and am advising my mother and sister to do the same for their cats.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Two days ago I spent 4 hrs with my cat and $850 in the vet hospital because of him being deathly ill. Vomiting and diarrhea constantly. He only eats Fancy Feast! The vet hospital is aware of the FF cat food problem but don't tell you about it. After discovering that the bad cat food is widespread I called the vet up and they said they were aware of this but still had me spend the money to test my kitty for everything. The Fancy Feast is messing up cats' pancreas which can lead to liver and brain damage or death! I will never feed my cat FF again and will tell every cat owner I know about this. Anyone start a class action lawsuit against Fancy Feast yet?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

After years of feeding my two cats the small cans of Fancy Feast they throw up after eating. My big male cat sits and stares at his dish but won’t eat. Something is up with this brand of food. Where can I have this food tested? I will throw the rest of the cans in the garbage as of today!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My cat is 11 and a big boy with great appetite. 2 months ago acted very sick and lost weight. Several vet visits, medications and tests showed nothing conclusive. Now I have to wonder if it’s the canned beef Fancy Feast reading all this. He stopped eating, avoided litterbox, howls, and more. He’s eaten the same flavor for his whole life with no issues, I have to order it by the case online. I am stopping it immediately and choosing another company product. I am thankful I saw these stories as I probably would have donated his unused supply to a rescue but I will BE THROWING IT OUT today to be safe. And I’m contacting the company. Something is obviously wrong there.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information