2.57/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

37 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

Every single time my cat eats Fancy Feast wet canned food, he vomits! Only this brand do we have this problem, Sheba does not give us this issue. Obviously it's making my cat ill, this is ridiculous and unacceptable!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for many years - both wet and dry. I have noticed that there is a lot more "gravy" in the cans now - which is clear and thick - it makes me think they use cornstarch etc. But now my cats are leaving the food behind - they used to eat it all. I am worried about the changes that have been made in the food. And now reading these reports makes me really wonder. I also buy from Amazon but cannot believe that this source is any different than any of the other distribution channels for these products. I am worried about the ingredients and now see all these other complaints. They need to do something about this.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've been buying Fancy Feast classic beef cat food for a couple of years for my 2 senior cats. They have had issues in the past year. One cat vomits often and we've had to put her on steroids; the other cat often refuses to eat the food and often acts lethargic. I refuse to give them this food any longer. I don't know what Purina is putting in this food, or where it's coming from, but how can they jeopardize the lives of these loving, living beings? This is deplorable and immoral and completely irresponsible.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My cats throw up Fancy Feast. Not always but often. We serve a variety, usually gravy styles and not the pate' style. I was interested to see the comments on adding water because it might be too rich, and that I should isolate certain types due to some unique feature in that recipe. I make chicken jerky, for the dog and sometimes a cat will develop a taste for that and it does not cause issue. So this mixture of vitamins and "meat" does, but perhaps it is the supplements or wheat? I really expect this to be handled, because thats why I spend the money instead of making my own cat food, even though it is cheaper it does have a time cost to me and the wife likes the cleanliness of the can system.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have been feeding our almost 3-year-old cat these products since she was old enough to come off of the kitten version with absolutely no problems. We order our food from an online retailer in 30 can cartons. Today is 3/23/2018. Yesterday we opened a new carton and gave her a can of the Beef Feast an absolute favorite of hers. She turned her nose up at it and refused to eat it. After 4 hours we gave her a can of the Turkey Feast from the same box and she gobbled it right down. This morning we tried a new can Beef again with the same result. Gave her a can of Chicken Feast and she ate it right away. I looked closely at the Beef Feast and here are some observations. 1. The Beef Feast was much darker in color, much coarser in texture and has an off odor. 2. I then looked at the carton and discovered that it was labeled Product of France.

I called Purina at their toll-free number on their website. The CR I talked to was quite concerned with my issue. He confirmed that Purina was importing this product from France inferring that the demand here had outstripped their production. I had also contacted the online supplier and they overnighted me a replacement carton. This had a different lot number but again labeled as French manufacture. Our cat has no issue with the Poultry (Chicken and Turkey). Therefore I would highly recommend you contact Purina and discuss your issue. I am going to purchase a few cans tomorrow and a local pet food store to see if the Beef in the can is made here and of milder odor and much finer texture than the French made product. Last point, our cat was eating the Fancy Feast chicken as I type this at 7:00 pm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have bought Fancy Feast classic for my 2 7-year-old cats since they were kittens. They loved it. They have begun having issues with it now. On Sunday they both vomited multiple times, resulting in one of the cats having to be rushed to the animal ER. I kept it away from them until tonight, when I gave one of them Fancy Feast and the recovering one the food from the vet. The cat that ate the Fancy Feast immediately vomited. I don't know what has changed in the formulation, but I've noticed on various pages that many long-time Fancy Feast purchasers are having the same issues with their cats.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My two cats have eaten Fancy Feast cat food for years. Suddenly they refuse to eat Tender Beef & Chicken Feast Classic and Chopped Grill Feast Classic, as well as all the other flavors that I have. Something changed during 2017 in the formulation of this cat food. The big problem I have is that they will starve themselves rather than eat any other brand of cat food. I sincerely hope that this food is not going to make my cats sick before this issue can be resolved.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Unfortunately, I gave my senior kitty several servings of Purely Natural Seabass & Shrimp to supplement his dry food diet. He loved it and gobbled it down. 2 hours after he ate it, he started the vomiting with that pink stuff in it. Vomited 5 times today before I read these reviews and decided it was time to go to the emergency vet. He’s so sick, he won’t come home for two days! The vet said he does have an acute infection that they’re going to treat with IV antibiotics. They will also give him anti nausea meds, meds for his colon, and lots of fluids.

Honestly I think if I hadn’t gotten him to the vet when I did, I would have lost him. This is not okay. I am extremely angry. Vet bills will be into the $1600’s. I don’t care about the money. I’d spare no expense to make sure he’s healthy. I’m just mad about why I had to spend it! All the rest of these cans of Fancy Feast are going back to the store tomorrow!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My cat was a picky eater so I changed to Fancy Feast tuna/salmon dry food and he ate it up like a vacuum cleaner. Suddenly he stopped eating it and so I took him to the vet. She said he was probably having furballs in the digested food vomit. She gave him a shot for nausea and a shot to drink water. I kept feeding this dry food to him and he stopped eating it again. He was now hiding behind furniture. I knew something was wrong so took him to the vet and his liver was enlarge. When he went in Oct to the vet everything was normal, then his liver went up to 800.

The vet said he would have to be put into the hospital to have feeding tubes etc costing approx $ 3,000 dollars. With him being a senior cat and another vet said that Fancy Feast was like giving your cat guts and plastic, I now have had to put my cat down just because of the food I fed him. I'm raging mad!!! AND will never buy Fancy Feast food again. I just wanted everyone to know if you feed this to your furry baby you will lose your cat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

In July, both of my cats began avoiding FF Gravy Lovers food. It was shipped via Amazon. When one began to eat it, she became lethargic and vomited. I threw out the remainder and decided to not have cat food shipped during summer months. Recently I purchased locally and this time, they both avoided food for 1.5 days, always putting out fresh food. When they both decided to eat it, severe diarrhea and gas within 8 hours. Next morning blood in the liquid emitted from their bodies. I won't be feeding them this food in the future and hope that they can recover.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My cat was a die hard fan of the Tuna, Prawn, Mackerel & Crab flavoured DRY FOOD, but ever since the change to original recipe she would rather go hungry and sleep outside in an ill equipped shed (she has sufficient body weight to keep her warm at least), as she becomes enraged every dinner time when she sees that they haven't bought the old recipe back - I'm inclined to trust her on this one as she has worked for John Edwards before. I would also like to have a word with the "Gourmet Chef" who specially curated the new WET FOOD menu as my Gravy Lover (TM) only ever seems to lick off the goop.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I like to give my cats a variety of foods, but, among all the foods I offer them, they love Fancy Feast broths. It's a very expensive packet of food... about $1.25/pouch, but, they love it. I have had many cats over the years and I can tell you they have always loved anything Fancy Feast, and they all lived long and healthy lives.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

If you love your cats, please, for the love of God, do NOT give them Fancy Feast. My mother refuses to feed her two 9-year-old cats anything except Fancy Feast canned and I believe they both have developed severe allergies. As I write this, BOTH of them are inpatient at a veterinary hospital in bad condition. They spent days throwing up, diarrhea, not eating, lethargic. She finally had to rush one then the other to the vet. We are waiting for the results of blood tests, but it does not look promising for either one of them. I have tried to get her to switch to better food for years, but she will not listen and her idiotic vet says, "Fancy Feast is fine." It will probably be their epitaph if something radical doesn't happen.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I started feeding my two cats half a can of the Fancy Feast soft loaf food every day. I bought a box of 30. 2 weeks in and my cat Tiger starts vomiting throughout the day for a couple days. On the third day she vomits 17 times from 11 pm-7 am. I rushed her to the animal emergency hospital and an xray revealed she had teeny tiny shards of bones lodged into her stomach and also found in her fecal examination. My other cat has been touchy and very cranky and won't let me pick her up with my hand underneath her belly. I'm scared she might have the same issue.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Every once in a while I change around cat food brands. Well, I usually get 9Lives as it's about the best deal that my cat likes. Well, Walmart was completely out of 9Lives so I thought I would try Fancy Feast... OMG!!! About 5 minutes after eating it it makes my cat throws up everywhere!!!?? And I have carpet??? And no this wasn't a one time thing. First time I gave it to her she ate some and I went out of the room and came back to see throw up on the floor. I think ok she's thrown up some hair balls again (there was two piles). I go to pick it up and notice it's not that tightly bond, weird looking thing that her hairballs usually are. It's mainly watery puke with pieces of food in it. I think kind of weird but pick it up.

My cat goes back for more about ten minutes later (she had only ate few bites before) she pukes again!!! Well that was two days ago and I had already decided to bring it back, well, with my busy schedule I forgot again??? So as an experiment I tried it one more time except I put about half a cup in the middle of the bowl with her other food which she's had NO trouble with last two days (9Lives that I bought somewhere else). AGAIN my cat starts throwing up!!! There is something wrong with this food! And this is a dry food the filet mignon flavor with real seafood and shrimp. I don't really mess with wet food for my dog or cat.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Several months ago my cat would throw up after eating or took a smell of the cat food and not eat it at all. Now, I'm buying Fancy Feast Medleys, Primavera Collection, 12 cans to a box. Three flavors, chicken, turkey and tuna. The White Meat Chicken is no longer WHITE MEAT. It looks like the TURKEY. I am going to stop buying Fancy Feast. It's too expensive too and I don't want my cat to get sick. What's going on with Fancy Feast?

Original review: July 30, 2017

I have been a Fancy Feast customer for over 15 years! Recently December 2016, my 10 yr old suddenly developed chin acne and severe itching and scratching. His eyes constantly running. Pawing at his eyes and mouth. The vet said he had a food allergy. I switched him to prescription science diet hypoallergenic z diet. He improved but I let my girls ages 6 and 9 remain on Fancy Feast because one has a problem drinking water and I wanted her to stay well hydrated. Now 7 months later I finally realize that the girls too have become allergic to the food. Why? Has the formula changed. I feed medley turkey. Going to now have to search for another food. This is really hard since I need a low carb no fish juice or product added. Fancy Feast was always a great product but something changes in December 2016!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Please cat owners, stop feeding your cat Fancy Feast. I have been feeding my cat this for 12 years. He wasn't eating, he vomited, he was gassing a lot and he yelped when I pet his tummy. Especially the wet food cans. I brought him in to the vet and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Now I feed him Blue. He is getting better with no more symptoms. I also read a lot of reviews that are the same as mine. Please don't put your beloved cat through this. I am not affiliated with Blue product in any way. But I recommend this for your cat.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have 3 cats that have been eating Fancy Feast cat food for at least 15 years. They used to lick the dish clean, however lately they have gotten picky on the variety and within the last week have refused to eat it. One cat has gotten sick and was diagnosed with pancreatitis in April. It cost a couple of thousand dollars to get him back to normal, although he is now also diabetic. I never connected it with the food. Another cat will be going to the vet tomorrow with the same symptoms as the first. Lack of appetite, vomiting, and refusing to eat. Something either in the cat food formula or manufacturing process has changed. I spoke with a Purina rep and they are denying any change to the product. I then did research and found that other cat owners are having the same issues. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I want to share this information to all cat lovers. My three elder cats had been eating Fancy Feast canned cat food (24 in a box - classic meat or poultry) for years; gobbled it up twice a day as a supplementary 'treat' to Science Diet hairball control dry food. My first encounter with a 'bad batch' was in the August 2016 when all of the cats had bouts of nausea, vomiting and bloody diarrhea; one cat developed pancreatitis and continues treatments today. After not finding any food recalls, I tried to resume Fancy Feast March 2016 since it used to be a favorite and the cats walked away from the food after one sniff or taste; very odd behavior after years of enjoyment. The cats now eat very little, are lethargic, and appear to be losing weight. I do believe something has changed about this product, and not for the good. All cats are going through a work up now and are on prescription diets. I saw a few similar reviews from cat owners and wanted to add my story.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I have been feeding my 2 cats Fancy Feast grilled seafood cat food for over a year. They loved it until recently. Now they reluctantly eat a little of it then walk away. One cat has digestive issues. If I change brands she will have real problems. But if this continues I will be forced to change. I would like to know what has changed. I wrote this review in hopes that enough people will complain that the company will go back to the previous recipe.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

EVERY list of ingredients I have ever read on a cat food label... dried food or wet food... is misleading. I don't know how they get away with it. I serve my kitties Fancy Feast (wet) because they will eat it, not because I trust the labeling.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Our family has bought Fancy Feast since 2000 back when my husband worked with packaging millions of can for a company that then shipped them back to our local Friskies Plant. From there it was shipped out to local vendors. It was always easy to find and the reliability has always been phenomenal. The ingredients used are always good quality. Our animals all love meal time. Oftentimes the dog tries to steal the cats food. In fact, it's really on a daily basis.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My cat is 16 years old and LOVES the Fancy Feast "Gravy Lovers" canned cat foods. I change out from the "Gravy Lovers" seafood flavors to the chicken, beef and turkey "Gravy Lovers" flavors and my cat enjoys them all. They are easy to find (Walmart and Target) and seem to keep her appetite stimulated. I tried the more expensive Fancy Feast Medleys, but the less expensive "Gravy Lovers" really hit the spot for the cat.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My cats started eating Fancy Feast and Meow Mix when they were kittens and nothing else except for the occasional shrimps or meats. Sammie and Molly were sisters. Sammie died of kidney disease at age 15 and Molly died of old age at one month shy of her 20th birthday. They loved their Fancy Feast and Meow Mix.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Our 2 cats like different flavors and consistencies. One prefers the pate and the other likes the gravy varieties. The cans are smallish, but they are fine for one meal. Average price is .55 per can, one can allowed for each cat daily. Plus the cat kibble, which is a different brand and type weekly. But they get bored and pass on the kibble completely if they get the same flavor more than a week.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Fancy Feast is one of 2 wet foods that my cats will eat. They do not like seafood or pate and will go hungry rather than eat what they do not like. I think it is a bit expensive and the non-seafood varieties have become difficult to find. I have to go to more than one store to find all types they eat.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I'm yet to find a cat food that smells inviting, but as soon as I opened the can my kitchen smelt like something had died. I bought a 6 pack of prime filet of grilled chicken, the other 5 cans were fine as far as I'm aware. They also all had the same best before date of September 2018. I'm not sure what went wrong, so I feel a little bad for leaving 2 stars for my first review.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Our 2 cats have eaten nothing but Fancy Feast Grilled and Classic cat foods their whole lives. One is 4 and the other 14. The younger one also gets some dry food on occasion. All of a sudden, starting in December 2016, neither cat will touch it. They get close, sniff it and immediately turn away. They used to dive in with gusto. We buy from Petsmart in Alabama. What has changed with this food?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I heard it was a great food for cats. Well I guess not for mine. He passed away two days later after eating it and my friend's cat did too but a couple weeks later both cats had same stuff going on diarrhea then they can't walk then lay there and in less than 24 hours of getting ill the cats pass away and we both bought it at the Costco in Torrance.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information