1.18/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

86 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My cat has been eating Fancy Feast for about 4 years, but in the past month he has vomited his Fancy Feast soon after eating. I thought it was a bad can, bad lot, whatever so I bought another case, but he still vomited. Now after reading the reviews, I see that our experience is like so many others. I will throw out all of the remaining cans and find another cat food. This food should be recalled.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Cat used to love the Fancy Feast brand until recently. Approx 6 months where is when from PRODUCT of the USA to Made IN FRANCE. I did bring this up with the manufacturer Nestlé Purina Pet Care. There is a process or ingredient that MAKES the PRODUCT OF FRANCE make my cat walk away and they admitted the change of where item was made. And I threw away 60 tins of such. I was also advised that they were going to go back to USA manufacture but to date this has been false, the supermarket shelves are now full of ONLY MADE IN FRANCE. So Purina another LOST CUSTOMER. Why mislead customers? The new product is causing people to lose money and faith in Nestle Purina.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I changed my 3 yr old healthy cat from dry Kibble Kaboodle to Fancy Feast Salmon Pate, Chicken Pate within the past 3 months. I thought he needed to have moisture. I notice recently he smells the food and walks away. Yesterday he was hungry and ate well. This morning he threw up and had a lot of smelly diarrhea. Threw up twice, I don't have the means to take him to the Vet. Something is wrong with this food. I will not feed him Fancy Feast again. I pray he gets well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My 12 week kitten has been having diarrhea. I thought he was sick with worms or something but he had his shots, So I stop giving him Fancy Feast to see what happens. He stop having diarrhea. I let him get better then I started him back on fancy feast then he started having diarrhea again so I looked up if anyone else is having this problem. Came across this. Wow. The food must be poison. I'm going to start him on Blue and never buy this brand again. I hope my kitten gets better again now that I stopped giving him this food.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Just started using Fancy Feast about a week ago. My very healthy energetic indoor cat hid last night in an unused room after vomiting twice. She always follows me from room to room and sleeps with me, but she just wanted to be alone. She has never not used her litter box, but last night she urinated on the bed that she retreated to. I could tell she felt really bad. Hope this passes and I get my fun cute kitty back. I will be throwing out the Fancy Feast I bought in Walmart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Our cat has been eating Fancy Feast - Chicken Feast Classic Pate for over a year now and has always loved it. All of a sudden he’s now smelling it and walking away. Something must have changed because I’ve bought several cans with different lot numbers from different stores and he’s rejecting all of them. Someone please check into this and find out what’s going on - from the other reviews it appears something is seriously wrong - unfortunately you’ve lost another customer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We have two cats and have been feeding both Fancy Feast with greens for more than a decade. One is 16 years old and the other is 6 years old. Our 6 year will always eat Fancy Feast and some dry food (Whiskas). Since we started a new 12 pack last weekend she is now hiding and not interested in eating Fancy Feast the past couple of days. She only has eaten some dry food. The 16 year old barely touches her Fancy Feast and after eating some she howls. No vomit. Very little pee in the box. We have thrown out the uneaten opened cans. We will need to take our 6 year old to the vet if she does not feel better by tomorrow. What is going on with this brand? Our cats were addicted to this food. We trust these companies with their lives.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My cat had been eating canned Fancy Feast for years, but only very recently has she stopped. Perhaps ingredients recently changed. She's been vomiting more, yowling in the middle of the night, pacing, having diarrhea and getting my attention. She gets clean water and fresh litter and lives in a clean home. I'm going to guess something is seriously wrong with the food. I'll be switching her diet starting tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My cat has eaten Fancy Feast since she was a kitten (she is now 9 years old) but since August this year (2018) she has had vomiting and diarrhea after eating this food. She has never been a fussy eater but she will no longer eat any of the varieties, just smells it and then walks away. Something has changed with this food and whatever it is, it is not good for cats. Have the ingredients changed? Has the product source changed? Have the meat and fish suppliers changed? Has the country of origin changed? Whatever the difference is, my cat will no longer be a consumer.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have fed my diabetic cat Fancy Feast in the past because it surprisingly doesn't have a high carb content, which is bad for diabetic cats. This recent purchase of their food has left my cat throwing up every day after eating - the first day I thought her blood sugars had spiked, but three days of it is not normal at all. I hopped on here to read the reviews and lo-and-behold, everyone else has the same issue. Looks like I am done with Fancy Feast and Purina!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have fed my cats Fancy Feast for the last 9 years. Within the last month one of my cats has gotten very ill and now neither will touch Fancy Feast canned food. My poor cat who had been healthy prior to the last couple weeks has diarrhea, vomiting, is moody and in pain. He is being treated by the vet and I am changing his food. I thought he wasn't eating because he felt sick. I was close, but in reality he wasn't eating the food because it made him sick. He will eat the Purina Pro Plan food but will not even sniff Fancy Feast anymore. I'm extremely disappointed and unimpressed with Purina Fancy Feast at this time.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Bought this thinking it was going to be healthy for the kittens. But... my 2 kittens refused to eat it. The cat-food sat in the dish and stunk up my home with a bad odor until the next day. Try something else.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I have been feeding Fancy Feast wet food to my foster kittens and my own cats for a long time. But they changed the cans. We noticed it smelled very metallic. My foster kittens started to get VERY sick! She started to throw up and had extremely horrible diarrhea that started to look grey. Then she stopped eating! It took switching her food and syringe feeding her with Pedialyte and she is doing better now. The new cans have round top openers. The old cans seem to still be ok. Also someone else on here mentioned that the boxes now say they are a product of France. Did they change plants? Or formulas? Whatever it is... IT'S TOXIC!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I switched to Fancy Feast beef pate because my cat loves wet beef pate and Fancy Feast was the Walmart option. She was switched 4 weeks ago, still eating the same Purina dry. I was initially happy because she was eating the Fancy Feast better than any other food. I give her wet at night, teaspoon mixed with warm water, as a dinner treat. Thursday she started with loose stools that smell horrible! Today bloody diarrhea began. I got online and am reading these reviews and will be stopping with this product completely and forever. The diarrhea is her only symptom, but as an indoor only, only cat in the house situation, I'm blaming the food.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have fed my cats Fancy Feast can food for years. Recently they were all losing their appetite and being very picky about the flavors, even the ones they used to like. One kitty stopped eating twice in one week and had liquid poop for days, and he is the one that usually eats the most. When the other three cats developed mushy poop and not eating much I knew it was the food. Upon research I see that Fancy Feast has made countless cats sick. My four kitties all recovered within two days of stopping the Fancy Feast. And their fur is so much softer and silkier now too! I suggest you issue a complaint with the FDA because with countless sick cats the last few months nothing is being done by Purina. Friskies food and all Purina products are involved too, if you do the research.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We gave our cats some dry Fancy Feast and found that it made one throw up. We have six indoor only cats, two outdoor homeless cats. There was throw up around the house every morning and it was hard to pin down who it was. We just realized that the cat who loved dry food was the one getting ill. We took out the dry food and sadly gave it to our outside cats. Today we found the same type of throw up as we were finding inside. This clearly shows that the dry food is tainted. If there is trouble with wet food then it must be an ingredient that is in both their wet and dry foods. Monday we are taking our sick boy to our vet. The closest vet to us who is open weekends and evenings is about 50 miles away and it would be too stressful for our boy. This is unforgivable, big corporations cutting corners to make even more money at what cost?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My healthy six-year-old cat died two days ago after eating a can of cat food I put down at 8 a.m. She was dead by 10:45 a.m. It was a most horrific thing to watch after she ate the food. We thought she was trying to pass a fur ball. I did not pay much attention to it thinking that that was all it was. I wish I did pay more attention to it. Maybe she would still be alive today but I do not think so. She let out a horrific cry around 10:30 quarter to 11. I went searching for her. Found her in the hallway by the bedrooms where she was spitting up foamy blood. She then continued crying and started to throw herself against the wall then she ran under my daughter's bed. I scooped her up and try to make it to the vet which is a half a mile away from my home. I got her there. They took her in and they said she passed away in her carrier before we got there. I am beside myself. My 13 year-old saw this. It was horrible and she will be missed. We loved her to death.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My two cats have eaten Fancy Feast for over two years without any incident. My cats are very healthy young cats 2 to 5 years of age. They loved the pate all varieties. Recently in the past 6 to 8 weeks we have had repeated incidence of vomiting and diarrhea. The diarrhea has been severe on one cat. Vomiting is happening to both cats. The vet treated the cats for worms which still samples came back clean but just to be cautious she treated them. That did not work. Then she started one of the cats on **. The ** helped with the symptoms however as soon as the course of treatment is done the diarrhea comes back with a vengeance.

I started to suspect the food as did the vet. I just switched them to Weruva wet food. For dry food they have always eaten Orijen brand. I am hoping that this will clear up now that I’ve stopped the Fancy Feast. I decided to research online for any similar issues with other cats and have found this site with multiple similar issues around the same time frame that my kids have been experiencing these problems. Vet bills right now around $300. Will be calling Purina this afternoon!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have bought Fancy Feast all the flavors for 8 years for my 7 cats, they used to love it, now for some time all of them have stopped eating eg: Prime Fillet of Chicken, Prime Fillet of Salmon, Prime Fillet of Tuna, Wild Salmon in a Savoury Broth. They just smell it and go around to the next bowl, one or two of the cats vomit on a daily basis, Gravy in the cans has changed colour slightly and is more thick and some have separated when I open the can, and the broth can has no broth. Just a solid lump sometimes at the bottom of can, I spend around $450-500 a month on Fancy Feast from Petstock online in Australia. Can somebody tell me what's going on with the product.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have two cats that have in the past not wanted to eat anything but Fancy Feast. Recently both cats have been getting the runs and now are refusing to eat. When I smelled the food I could detect a strange odor that just was not right. I went to Whole Foods and bought them a bag of frozen venison and they ate it up instantly. This product needs to be recalled.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My cat who has been eating Fancy Feast for years has become violently ill and has been at the vet for days. The vet cannot figure out what is wrong with her. When I looked online just now, I noticed that there has been a problem with multiple people and this food. SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG HERE. My cat is an indoor cat who is up to date on all vaccinations.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We have two cats who have only eaten Fancy Feast gourmet cat food for the past 9 years. They absolutely love this brand and seemed to snub all others. The last couple of weeks we have been feeding the cats Fancy Feast, they have been ill, and will no longer eat it. We called fancy feast as we thought they might have changed the formula or had a bad batch. They said no one else had complained and we could return the balance of tins for more if we like. When we returned cat food to Petbarn Ballarat and spoke to them about it, they said there had been no other complaints. We now have 80 tins of fancy feast cat food we will not be feeding to our cats. Very poor form fancy feast and also pet barn Ballarat.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have 2 cats and up until a week ago, my eldest one ate Fancy Feast just fine. Now she and her brother are both getting sick with vomiting and Diarrhea 15min - 2 hours within consuming it. She’s having diarrhea up to 2 times a day. They were taken to the vet to see about bacterial infections and got stool samples taken but came back clean. After seeing all these reviews, It seems as if Fancy Feast is the culprit.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Both of our cats became violently ill last week after eating Fancy Feast. Similar to other posts below, they started vomiting and had severe, bloody diarrhea after consuming food from our latest shipment from Amazon (arrived July 28th). One cat became ill before the other. She woke us up at midnight and continued to vomit and have bloody diarrhea throughout the night; we had three trips to the emergency vet with her over the course of 24 hours. They did x-rays, imaging, blood work, urinalysis -- all came back normal. She was in a free fall decline, ultimately excreting pure blood. When the other cat became symptomatic (also with vomiting and bloody diarrhea) minutes after we got back from the third emergency room visit, and it was clear that the food was the culprit. (Our cats are indoor kitties and are not exposed to other animals).

Both cats spent a day with our primary care vet (post emergency vet) receiving fluids and antibiotic injections. They are still finishing the course of oral antibiotics that we were sent home with. Their appetites and energy have steadily grown day-by-day, hopefully providing some comfort to those of you finding these posts as you experience a similar situation, as I did. The IV/subcutaneous fluids they received at the vet were critical to their well being (they are older cats), and I'm not sure the first kitty would have survived without them... So professional medical help was critical in our case.

I appreciate the others who took time to post their experience here. It helped confirm my suspicions that there is something terribly wrong with this batch of Fancy Feast. Our experience and our cats symptoms mirror exactly that of many of the posts below. Purina needs to recall this food before it kills any more pets. I will never feed our pets a Purina product again -- especially after reading the related posts on this website under the Purina brand. If you haven't checked those out, I'd highly recommend a read before you ever purchase their products again. Absolutely terrifying.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

What has happened to the Fancy Feast Purely fancy Feast Chicken in Broth? My two Siamese cats just love this stuff. They pace around at 4:30 p.m. every day asking for their Fancy Feast Purely Chicken. However, I recently opened a new box of the food and they refuse to eat it. This happened for two days so I decided to open a second box to see if there had been a bad batch. Still nothing. They pace around asking for food but sniff, then walk away from the already opened container that I've given them. Has there been a change in formula? Some bad ingredients? Please check out your Fancy Feast Purely Chicken.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I came on this site after an outside cat I give this food to refused to eat it. My less than 10 year old cat recently dies horribly. I am shocked that this company has not recalled their food. Then I started reading complaints from this year. I still have cans Walmart will not take back. I can throw them away but tomorrow I am going to call the company and submit the cans I still have. I confess that I gave the ones I had left over after my fur baby died to the strays outside my house. I am a Christian so even though no one from this company will do anything or be accountable God will open their eyes and show them the truth. Meanwhile vets need to contact this company asking them to check their formula. Far too many animals have died. Just checking cannot hurt. Please pray for me as this will be a challenging endeavor but I have to try to save other people from the tragedy and pain and financial hardship.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Ok, I have 4 boy cats and feed them 2 different dry foods but give them Sheba wet food but found they're not all happy with it every time. So a friend of mine gave me her passed kitty's 2 cans of Fancy Feast, which worked out really nicely because I noticed 2 of my kitty's really liked it. I decided to keep it on hand for the occasional treat dinner and my Russian Blue ate it for the 1st time yesterday and hasn't even gotten up to pee since then. I'm really worried he's going to die and I plan to dig that can out of the trash to make sure that this gets documented.

I'm trying to feed him milk and he took 2 licks. It's Sunday night and I don't know what else to do other than to try to get him to drink something to move it through him so he can come out of this. I'm returning the rest of the food to Walmart tomorrow!!! Thank you all for posting this as I wondered what I'd done to my poor cat. I hope he makes it through this. My husband has already teared up over his possible loss too.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My cats are 2 years old and they eat Science Diet dry food and Greenies treats. Both healthy foods. They also eat a small can of Fancy Feast every night. They actually share one. So not eating too much of it. They have always been healthy and have never had a problem until recently. And these are the only brands of food they eat. I should also mention I have had my cats since they were 8 weeks old.

My cat, Ziggy, suddenly refused to eat the Fancy Feast wet food anymore. He would sniff it and walk away. I just thought he was being picky. So I kept trying different flavors with him. He wouldn’t touch it. Meanwhile, my other cat, Leo, began throwing up within 30 minutes after eating his Fancy Feast wet food. At first I thought he was just sick. But then during the day he seemed fine and ate his dry Science Diet and treats with no problem. After about 6 days of Leo throwing up, I decided to google and see if any other people were having this problem with their cat and what could be causing it. I was shocked at what I found. There were hundreds of Reviews everywhere about how Fancy Feast have changed their recipe and cats are not only throwing it up but getting very sick and almost dying. Tons of Vet bills for their cats' illnesses.

Needless to say, we won’t be using this product anymore and I’ll try to find a much safer and healthier wet food for my cats to eat. It’s so scary to find out I have been poisoning my poor cats for months and didn’t even know it. I am so thankful they are ok and we switched to Blue Buffalo brand can food and no issues at all. They love it. I reached out to Fancy Feast (Purina) via email but got no reply back. I also let Chewy.com know since I buy all my food and supplies from them. They were very concerned as well and are going to investigate it too.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My husband, 2 cats, and I have been loyal, daily Fancy Feast users for the past 6 years (my husband used them regularly for 7 years prior to our living together). Our cats have recently been refusing to eat Fancy Feast or having frequent episodes of vomiting and diarrhea multiple times a day for the past week. We couldn’t figure out the culprit, initially. We decided to investigate further and immediately began seeing very recent posts describing very similar cat problems. I can’t believe they haven’t issued a recall. We will never buy them again. They’ve lost 4 loyal customers with our cat family. Protect your catbabies. Don’t buy Fancy Feast.

Original review: July 19, 2018

After testing her with various brands for a couple of days, blaming Halo, blaming Wellness, I noticed the culprit is Fancy Feast! She has diarrhea several times a day with any flavor of this brand. She has NEVER had this problem with any brand and is losing weight. Thankfully, she will be able to recover. Please recall all cans of Fancy Feast! They've also added fish to other flavors without disclosing it upfront.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information