2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Fancy Feast Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I have been feeding my 14 yr old cat Fancy Feast for years (along with Royal Canine kibble), but the last box of cans I opened up caused her to vomit. At first I didn't realize, so I kept feeding it to her, and she kept vomiting. Finally I clued in and took the Fancy Feast away and only fed her kibble, and within a day or 2, she stopped vomiting. I can't believe it was the Fancy Feast! The box I bought was the "Elegant Medleys Primavera Collection Wet Cat Food Variety Pack", and I bought it from Loblaws around mid-August 2021. The cans say they are best before May 2023. I hope this review, along with the many others I saw here, help others.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Last week my 12 year old cat became violently ill with projectile vomiting and severe diarrhea. I took him to the vet and stool, urine and blood samples led them to believe he had food poisoning. The ONLY food he eats is Fancy Feast pâté. He had several varieties, including fish and shrimp, beef, and chicken. It was the fish and shrimp that made him ill. He ended up on a round of antibiotics after several days at the vet and receiving fluids and anti nausea meds. I returned the batch that had made him sick and bought a new flavor and more recent batch. When I opened it it smelled bad. He also would not touch it. Switched to a new brand and he’s doing better.

I went to grab the other cans to return and several are swollen like they’re ready to pop. They were not even from the same store this time. I will never give my pet this food again. Over $1000+ in vet bills and pain for my cat who is still not himself. When I posted on Facebook, countless others also had cats get violently ill in the same time frame. Some died. I believe that they cut corners, possibly due to pandemic related complications. Our pets deserve better treatment. The company should be ashamed.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I'm so beyond pissed. We rescued a litter and had families for all 6 kittens. They were doing great until we bought 1 box of Fancy Feast kitten chicken and turkey. In 1-2 weeks we lost 3 to dehydration, diarrhea, and vomiting. They refused to eat after 2-3 days of having a couple days of it. This was devastating as one little boy was staying with us permanently. This is the 3rd summer in a row we fostered stray litters and previously only gave them Pro Plan kitten without any problems.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I am not sure what happened but I have spent over 1,000.00 at the vet. My cats have been eaten the Fish and Shrimp Fancy Feast for over a month. In the past two days 5 of my cats threw up violently and had massive diarrhea. It was horrible. I had them all checked by the vet and Thank God their blood work and stool came back fine. Is it possible a bad batch of this food was made??? Numbers on cans I get sets of 24 03331829L8259 2039 and the other one I threw it out since they started throwing up and having diarrhea.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have 4 cats. Two of them eat Fancy Feast Savory Centers (chicken, beef). Two of them eat Fancy Feast regular Pate' (no fish flavors). The Savory Ctr cats are absolutely perfect, no issues. The Pate' cats have suddenly developed jello like diarrhea. There's been no changes in their diet, there is nothing in my house that they could have gotten into (no plants, no human food, no cleaners, nothing - I've very particular about having a cat safe home). The ONLY thing different in their lives vs the other two is the Fancy Feast Pate' vs Savory Ctr's (which has been VERY difficult to acquire for the past 8 months, it's a hit and miss with a can here and there if I'm lucky - of course, Purina gives you some ** excuse why). So, it's impossible to have all 4 cats on the Savory Ctr's due to supply shortage.

There is something going on with the Pate' food (chicken, chicken feast, and beef feast) that has generated this jelly blob-like stool, parasites are negative and it has to be the Pate' that has changed. I am seriously disappointed in whatever Purina has done to change this food resulting in this diarrhea!!!! They are not vomiting, but what they are expelling from the other end has such a NASTY odor that it clears the room where their boxes are - they have NEVER had this kind of foul odor. I have 1.5 cases of this stuff now and it's getting trashed!!! Purina has gone in the crapper this past year and it's time to move on. AVOID FANCY FEAST - find another reputable food for your cat(s)!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have been fostering local kittens since April 2020. I buy a 24 pack case of Fancy Feast Pate Kitten every 2 days. EVERY kitten I've fostered has been mildly to severely ill. I attributed their poor health to being born outside, under houses, in barns or abandoned and unvaccinated. However, even after they had been properly cared for, they would end up sick again every 3-4 weeks. It's been a vicious cycle and they only seemed to be getting sicker every time. They throw up, had diarrhea, even blood in their stool, followed by upper respiratory infections and conjunctivitis. In the past few weeks, my 7 month old foster (Taki) lost 1.3 pounds and she was already struggling to keep weight on. I have always trusted Purina Fancy Feast as they have never had a recall "officially". I never even considered the food being the issue.

I thought I was going to lose my foster Taki a few days ago. She refused to eat (my other 5 fosters were barely eating too) so I whipped up some homemade cat food. I made sure to follow all the nutritional advice and my cats scarfed it down. I've never seen my cats devour their food. Even Taki (who refused to eat and was very lethargic and dehydrated) enhaled her food and was full of energy and playing with the other cats after. Taki's health (as well as the others) have dramatically improved in just a matter of days. There is definitely something wrong with Purina's Fancy Feast Pate Kitten food. It needs to be investigated immediately. I will be first in line for a class action lawsuit! I have poured so much money into this food and vet bills trying to save these fur babies, while this whole entire time the FOOD was the problem. I am frustrated, angry, disappointed and disgusted with Purina! DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

My healthy 11yr old cat was changed from Science Dry food to Fancy Feast wet food. He loved it and all was well. We started with chicken pate and moved on to beef/liver. He started leaving food on his plate. Within one month he stopped eating and drinking. Took him to emergency where he was diagnosed with fluid around heart and lungs. The prognosis was dire and we had him put down. Fancy Feast cat food killed my never sick healthy indoor cat - practically over night. We are devastated.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

All 4 of our cats have been weird since Xmas day. We had received a new 24 can vase of FF from Amazon, FF seafood pate. We usually order the beef pate or the seafood pate. One of our cats is severely ill. Vomit, diarrhea, lethargic, fever. He is on 4 medications now. Another cat is not eating at all and lethargic as well. Our 2 other cats are also turning their nose at the seafood batch received. All the cats have eaten it and all all have either had diarrhea or vomit since Christmas. Anyone else having issues. Fancy is no longer welcome in our home. The vet said this is for sure something they ate.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I have fed my cats Fancy feast off and on for 5+yrs now. Every now and then, I get a case or batch that seems to make them very ill. This summer all 3 of my cats became violently ill. Puking, diarrhea, lethargy, all the bad stuff. I came home one evening to a litter box full of blood/mucus and 2 of my cats seemed sick, but still ate/drank. My 5yr old, the eldest, I found laying in my basement unable to stand or move in a pile of vomit. $2,500 in vet bills and a 5 night stay at the vet she's back home. I vowed not to buy this brand again.

However, another rush of panic buying meant fancy feast was all that was left in flavours my cats ate. The last 4 days, I've been cleaning up vomit. I wasn't positive it was the food at first, until I opened a can and my youngest gobbled it down, started heaving, and proceeded to vomit it all back up into the bowl. The middle cat ran to my bedroom and threw it up, the eldest wouldn't touch it. I wish I could include a photo, but I will give detailed information of the batch code/box/flavour instead. It was a case of Medleys, Florentine collection. Wild salmon florentine was the one immediately puked back up within seconds. Best before date Aug 2022, 02428331 11:17 L020272.

I will never, ever buy again!! Especially after reading the horror stories similar to mine. My cats kidneys were so far gone by the 3rd day that her crea level was in the 980s. The vet was floored. He said he had never seen a cat as young as she was with kidney levels resembling late stage kidney failure. He thought she was poisoned. My youngest had seizures.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I've been feeding all my cats Fancy Feast wet food ever since I found the product many years ago. Last year I joined Chewy and because they offer lower prices, I started feeding them a more expensive brand of wet cat food called Sheba. Well my order for Sheba was late this month, so I bought a couple of Fancy Feast cans to hold them over until my shipment of Sheba came in from Chewy.

Salmon and Shrimp Feast Classic Pate is their favorite. I gave them a can of that on Monday and within minutes after eating, they both started throwing up VIOLENTLY at least 5-7 times! Tuesday I gave a different flavor and they seemed fine. Wednesday I gave them the Salmon and Shrimp Feast Classic Pate again and they couldn't even finish it because they started throwing VIOLENTLY again - multiple times! It's so distressing to see that. Something is wrong this food!!!! I hope Purina company please looks into this before more cats get hurt. Until now, my cats were healthy and were not throwing up at all.

Fancy Feast author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information