2.93/5
  • 1 star
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

27 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My cat was a die hard fan of the Tuna, Prawn, Mackerel & Crab flavoured DRY FOOD, but ever since the change to original recipe she would rather go hungry and sleep outside in an ill equipped shed (she has sufficient body weight to keep her warm at least), as she becomes enraged every dinner time when she sees that they haven't bought the old recipe back - I'm inclined to trust her on this one as she has worked for John Edwards before. I would also like to have a word with the "Gourmet Chef" who specially curated the new WET FOOD menu as my Gravy Lover (TM) only ever seems to lick off the goop.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I like to give my cats a variety of foods, but, among all the foods I offer them, they love Fancy Feast broths. It's a very expensive packet of food... about $1.25/pouch, but, they love it. I have had many cats over the years and I can tell you they have always loved anything Fancy Feast, and they all lived long and healthy lives.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

If you love your cats, please, for the love of God, do NOT give them Fancy Feast. My mother refuses to feed her two 9-year-old cats anything except Fancy Feast canned and I believe they both have developed severe allergies. As I write this, BOTH of them are inpatient at a veterinary hospital in bad condition. They spent days throwing up, diarrhea, not eating, lethargic. She finally had to rush one then the other to the vet. We are waiting for the results of blood tests, but it does not look promising for either one of them. I have tried to get her to switch to better food for years, but she will not listen and her idiotic vet says, "Fancy Feast is fine." It will probably be their epitaph if something radical doesn't happen.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I started feeding my two cats half a can of the Fancy Feast soft loaf food every day. I bought a box of 30. 2 weeks in and my cat Tiger starts vomiting throughout the day for a couple days. On the third day she vomits 17 times from 11 pm-7 am. I rushed her to the animal emergency hospital and an xray revealed she had teeny tiny shards of bones lodged into her stomach and also found in her fecal examination. My other cat has been touchy and very cranky and won't let me pick her up with my hand underneath her belly. I'm scared she might have the same issue.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Every once in a while I change around cat food brands. Well, I usually get 9Lives as it's about the best deal that my cat likes. Well, Walmart was completely out of 9Lives so I thought I would try Fancy Feast... OMG!!! About 5 minutes after eating it it makes my cat throws up everywhere!!!?? And I have carpet??? And no this wasn't a one time thing. First time I gave it to her she ate some and I went out of the room and came back to see throw up on the floor. I think ok she's thrown up some hair balls again (there was two piles). I go to pick it up and notice it's not that tightly bond, weird looking thing that her hairballs usually are. It's mainly watery puke with pieces of food in it. I think kind of weird but pick it up.

My cat goes back for more about ten minutes later (she had only ate few bites before) she pukes again!!! Well that was two days ago and I had already decided to bring it back, well, with my busy schedule I forgot again??? So as an experiment I tried it one more time except I put about half a cup in the middle of the bowl with her other food which she's had NO trouble with last two days (9Lives that I bought somewhere else). AGAIN my cat starts throwing up!!! There is something wrong with this food! And this is a dry food the filet mignon flavor with real seafood and shrimp. I don't really mess with wet food for my dog or cat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Several months ago my cat would throw up after eating or took a smell of the cat food and not eat it at all. Now, I'm buying Fancy Feast Medleys, Primavera Collection, 12 cans to a box. Three flavors, chicken, turkey and tuna. The White Meat Chicken is no longer WHITE MEAT. It looks like the TURKEY. I am going to stop buying Fancy Feast. It's too expensive too and I don't want my cat to get sick. What's going on with Fancy Feast?

Original review: July 30, 2017

I have been a Fancy Feast customer for over 15 years! Recently December 2016, my 10 yr old suddenly developed chin acne and severe itching and scratching. His eyes constantly running. Pawing at his eyes and mouth. The vet said he had a food allergy. I switched him to prescription science diet hypoallergenic z diet. He improved but I let my girls ages 6 and 9 remain on Fancy Feast because one has a problem drinking water and I wanted her to stay well hydrated. Now 7 months later I finally realize that the girls too have become allergic to the food. Why? Has the formula changed. I feed medley turkey. Going to now have to search for another food. This is really hard since I need a low carb no fish juice or product added. Fancy Feast was always a great product but something changes in December 2016!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Please cat owners, stop feeding your cat Fancy Feast. I have been feeding my cat this for 12 years. He wasn't eating, he vomited, he was gassing a lot and he yelped when I pet his tummy. Especially the wet food cans. I brought him in to the vet and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Now I feed him Blue. He is getting better with no more symptoms. I also read a lot of reviews that are the same as mine. Please don't put your beloved cat through this. I am not affiliated with Blue product in any way. But I recommend this for your cat.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have 3 cats that have been eating Fancy Feast cat food for at least 15 years. They used to lick the dish clean, however lately they have gotten picky on the variety and within the last week have refused to eat it. One cat has gotten sick and was diagnosed with pancreatitis in April. It cost a couple of thousand dollars to get him back to normal, although he is now also diabetic. I never connected it with the food. Another cat will be going to the vet tomorrow with the same symptoms as the first. Lack of appetite, vomiting, and refusing to eat. Something either in the cat food formula or manufacturing process has changed. I spoke with a Purina rep and they are denying any change to the product. I then did research and found that other cat owners are having the same issues. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I want to share this information to all cat lovers. My three elder cats had been eating Fancy Feast canned cat food (24 in a box - classic meat or poultry) for years; gobbled it up twice a day as a supplementary 'treat' to Science Diet hairball control dry food. My first encounter with a 'bad batch' was in the August 2016 when all of the cats had bouts of nausea, vomiting and bloody diarrhea; one cat developed pancreatitis and continues treatments today. After not finding any food recalls, I tried to resume Fancy Feast March 2016 since it used to be a favorite and the cats walked away from the food after one sniff or taste; very odd behavior after years of enjoyment. The cats now eat very little, are lethargic, and appear to be losing weight. I do believe something has changed about this product, and not for the good. All cats are going through a work up now and are on prescription diets. I saw a few similar reviews from cat owners and wanted to add my story.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I have been feeding my 2 cats Fancy Feast grilled seafood cat food for over a year. They loved it until recently. Now they reluctantly eat a little of it then walk away. One cat has digestive issues. If I change brands she will have real problems. But if this continues I will be forced to change. I would like to know what has changed. I wrote this review in hopes that enough people will complain that the company will go back to the previous recipe.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

EVERY list of ingredients I have ever read on a cat food label... dried food or wet food... is misleading. I don't know how they get away with it. I serve my kitties Fancy Feast (wet) because they will eat it, not because I trust the labeling.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Our family has bought Fancy Feast since 2000 back when my husband worked with packaging millions of can for a company that then shipped them back to our local Friskies Plant. From there it was shipped out to local vendors. It was always easy to find and the reliability has always been phenomenal. The ingredients used are always good quality. Our animals all love meal time. Oftentimes the dog tries to steal the cats food. In fact, it's really on a daily basis.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My cat is 16 years old and LOVES the Fancy Feast "Gravy Lovers" canned cat foods. I change out from the "Gravy Lovers" seafood flavors to the chicken, beef and turkey "Gravy Lovers" flavors and my cat enjoys them all. They are easy to find (Walmart and Target) and seem to keep her appetite stimulated. I tried the more expensive Fancy Feast Medleys, but the less expensive "Gravy Lovers" really hit the spot for the cat.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My cats started eating Fancy Feast and Meow Mix when they were kittens and nothing else except for the occasional shrimps or meats. Sammie and Molly were sisters. Sammie died of kidney disease at age 15 and Molly died of old age at one month shy of her 20th birthday. They loved their Fancy Feast and Meow Mix.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Our 2 cats like different flavors and consistencies. One prefers the pate and the other likes the gravy varieties. The cans are smallish, but they are fine for one meal. Average price is .55 per can, one can allowed for each cat daily. Plus the cat kibble, which is a different brand and type weekly. But they get bored and pass on the kibble completely if they get the same flavor more than a week.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Fancy Feast is one of 2 wet foods that my cats will eat. They do not like seafood or pate and will go hungry rather than eat what they do not like. I think it is a bit expensive and the non-seafood varieties have become difficult to find. I have to go to more than one store to find all types they eat.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I'm yet to find a cat food that smells inviting, but as soon as I opened the can my kitchen smelt like something had died. I bought a 6 pack of prime filet of grilled chicken, the other 5 cans were fine as far as I'm aware. They also all had the same best before date of September 2018. I'm not sure what went wrong, so I feel a little bad for leaving 2 stars for my first review.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Our 2 cats have eaten nothing but Fancy Feast Grilled and Classic cat foods their whole lives. One is 4 and the other 14. The younger one also gets some dry food on occasion. All of a sudden, starting in December 2016, neither cat will touch it. They get close, sniff it and immediately turn away. They used to dive in with gusto. We buy from Petsmart in Alabama. What has changed with this food?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I heard it was a great food for cats. Well I guess not for mine. He passed away two days later after eating it and my friend's cat did too but a couple weeks later both cats had same stuff going on diarrhea then they can't walk then lay there and in less than 24 hours of getting ill the cats pass away and we both bought it at the Costco in Torrance.

Original review: May 22, 2016

My 6 year old half-Persian, half-Siamese cat loves the classic salmon wet food from Fancy Feast. Since Ash is already quite old, he prefers the wet food over the dried ones. And this product is such a treat for him! :) His fur is shinier and smoother ever since I included this food in his diet. He's still very active and his fur actually sheds less even if the weather is too hot. I'm enjoying rubbing his fat belly, all thanks to Fancy Feast! Would definitely recommend this product.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

We have two cats, indoors and they know what they like. Trying many brands of cat food while trying to stay abreast of what is best for them is sometimes a daunting task. Typically we try to stay away from the by-product formulas since reading studies about their possible side effects. If manufacturers would offer a trial size of their product we would most likely try it. However with today's prices, purchasing a bag of cat food only to find out they don't like it would be a waste so we just stick with the tried and true. Purina Pro Plan and Fancy Feast seem to be the favorites around our home.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

The cats love it, and we have 4 cats. We also use Purina cat complete for dry food every day. It takes a lot of cat food to feed our 4 cats. However we also have a stray that comes by for 3 meals a day. Because of the dry food we put out we have a family of raccoons and a possum stop by to grab some of the stray's dry food that we put out.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Fancy Feast is well regarded by my cat. Small tin is just right size so if he gets a bit picky I can swap to another flavour without too much waste. He doesn't like Whiskas tinned food much after a couple of mouthfuls. He's not keen at all. Packet/Pouch cat food is successful (small & fresh).

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have 2 cats. I feed them the canned Fancy Feast cat food. They like the grilled poultry and beef. I have never had any problems finding this food at different retailers. They like it. It is priced the same as other brand.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I Have used several brands of cat foods. I have found that Fancy Feast is the brand that my cat will eat without leaving some in the dish. Fancy feast is meaty and very moist and in a smaller can. Just the right amount for a meal. The seafood meals have whole shrimp and crab. I use Friskies as my 2nd choice. It also is meaty and very moist. This I have to use in two meals. Would be very nice if in smaller cans. These two brands come in bite size. Grilled. Flaked and Classic. Classic is very well ground into a Pate. Which when my best friend my cat was ill. I was able to feed him with a syringe and not waste any. I recommend either of these two brands. I have used other brands but I stay with what my cat will eat and enjoys eating. Thank You.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

I've known Fancy Feast for years. My grandparents fed their cat Fancy Feast, my aunt feeds her cat Fancy Feast. So when I got my cat, a tabby named Pepper back in October last year, I knew that this was a good reliable brand. Pepper doesn't seem to favor the classic feasts but adores the grilled feasts and the broths. When she hears the click of the can or the rip of the package she comes running!

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information