1.23/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Fancy Feast

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

191 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2019

I keep hearing all these bad things and reading bad reviews, but my ten cats ranging from 2 to 18 years have been eating FF Classic pate all their lives and they are thriving on it. If that ever changes I will let you all know.

Original review: July 15, 2019

When I read reviews on FF making cats sick a while back some mentioned that the cans had a round pull tab. I believe FF is manufactured in different facilities. I bought FF from a place here in Canada and noticed the pull tabs were round so I took them back. I only buy the square type pull tabs since I read the reviews. I haven't had a problem with cats throwing up or diarrhea.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Am weighing in because of all the negative reviews I just read. Honestly FF is my go-to brand because I know our cats will eat it. Am mystified and appalled that so many reviewers have had such different experiences. Indoor cat favors the seafood wet and dry food, Outdoor cat favors the chicken wet and dry food. They seem to enjoy their meals, especially the Gravy Lovers wet food. At their check-ups the vets have found them happy and healthy. I don't know what to make of the bad experiences some here have reported. I feel very bad for those owners and their cats, but as long as my cats continue eating it, I'll keep buying it for them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My cat loves various flavors of Fancy Feast! He's healthy and happy and my vet friend recommends them. His blood work and vet visits always come back good. He seems to have great energy levels. He's super intelligent and I owe it all to Fancy Feast.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Months ago, I left a review that agreed with all the others who had cats sickened by FF food that they previously craved. Mine had the same symptoms and expensive vet bills but nothing could be determined until I found the reviews from other cat owners feeding FF with the same result. I stopped feeding FF for months and my cats thrived; there were NO more episodes of intestinal distress. After reading the most recent positive reviews, I gave FF another chance, hoping Purina had reverted to their older formula. I purchased a few Medley cans from the pet store, and then a few more from a grocery chain that had a sale price on the Medleys. Unfortunately, although he could tolerate the food at times, at other times, he would have diarrhea and vomiting right after feeding. When I was packing the food to return to the stores, I noticed that cans of the same flavor had different colors of tops and bottoms, but the same barcode for all of them.

The labels are identical, but some tops and bottoms are green and some are gold. I assume the colors indicate different manufacturing facilities because the numbers on the bottoms are different. The cans with the green top & bottom are the first ones I opened and my young cat ate and became ill. He won't even go near the FF food now. Since I am returning the unused cans, I don't want to waste the time & money to open one can of each color to test against them against one another. I wonder if any of the other reviewers with sick cats have noticed what color of top and bottom their FF cans have. That might isolate the facility where the problem originates - or whether it just indicates the pet stores sell a premium grade of the product, justifying the higher price, as opposed to the grocery stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I started using Fancy Feast Poultry and Beef classics about a year ago. Previously they were eating the chicken feast classic pate with no issues but seemed to get bored with it. Within the past 6 months or so, 2 of the cats were having random issues with throwing up their food immediately after eating. I had attributed it to possibly eating too fast or maybe having a fur ball.

The real issue began when my sweet 13 year old started vomiting blood, couldn’t keep anything down. The blood vomiting stopped after the first day, but I took him to the vet, and spent over $1200 in blood tests, x-rays, and fluid therapy. The vet could find nothing wrong with him to explain his symptoms. He was given anti nausea meds, reflux med, and special gastroenteritis food. After about a week and a half, he started to come out of it. He’s been doing well now for about 2 weeks, and I just started weaning him off the special food. In the meantime, I have pinpointed the flavor that gets thrown up by the other 2 cats. The Tender Beef and Chicken Feast is what they are throwing up on. I am going to call the company to let them know what is going on with my cats and the food. I am at a loss for trying to figure out what is wrong with them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I searched "is Fancy Feast poisonous?” because of how much BOTH of my cats have been puking immediately after eating it recently. It can NOT be coincidental, and I'm growing very worried that there could be a serious problem (like one years ago involving Giant Food store brand and others that had far more serious repercussions). My cats are my kids - 10 and 11 years old - and are/WERE healthy before they suddenly started this bout of 'eat and puke' recently. I think they are okay the rest of the time, except that one keeps meowing for more food, probably because she didn't really keep any down. The other comes back later to munch Purina Pro ‘crunchies’ and seems to be getting a complete aversion to FF. Also, both of them have refused to eat FF a bunch of times recently - flavors they previously wolfed down.

Something HAS to be wrong, and maybe it's only happening in different locations/to different lots (unless younger cats can stomach it without ralphing.). Alas, I guess I, like Judy from Illinois, will have to 'can' the many FF cans we just bought to find some other brand from now on. I so look forward to 'test and tune time' again on two finicky set-in-their way 'ladies'. (That’s going to be almost as much as fun as chasing them to catch and cage them for a vet visit.) I see two pissed off cats and a lot of garbage in my future. Oh, Happy Joy!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Have just read a large number of reviews of the FF cat food range. For at least 2 years my 8 year old cat would only eat the Chicken Provencal variety. He had been eating less and less, then Wednesday evening was ill, vomiting, which he had never done before. This continued until 5am the following morning. The only other food he consumes is a Hills Science dry food. Since stopping FF and just giving him the dry food and boiled, filtered water he has improved dramatically.

I was shocked to read these reviews. This morning I returned all remaining cans to Woolworths and Coles (Australia) for refunds, thinking that they would contact the manufacturers; only to be told that I should talk to the manufacturers as they "won't listen to supermarkets". To make matters worse, all the FF range was discounted. Will be taking this matter further with the manufacturers.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Both of my cats are 10 1/2 yrs old and have been eating Fancy Feast all their lives. I started noticing in the past yr. that the female starting vomiting several times a week after eating but thought that maybe it was because she eats very fast and even tries to eat her brother's food. But in the past month or so, it started getting more frequent and her brother started vomiting too. This past week was the worse. Yesterday morning when I got up there were 8 different places of vomit and it was food. I was very upset to say the least. Even the male cat turned was from the dish of food I put in front of him and it was his favorite flavor. I was ready to take them both to the vet and it finally dawned on me that it has to be the food.

I did go to the vet and got some cans of Hills prescription digestive care food and they've eaten 2 cans since yesterday and no vomiting. I just called Purina and she took down all the information and said they haven't heard of any problems with the food. Don't know if I believe that. She said anyone who is having problems should let them know otherwise they don't know there is a problem. They are sending me a check for the 54 cans that I have here now that I purchased recently. And now I have to find a new food to give them after 10 1/2 yrs.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Do not buy Fancy Feast. I’m so disappointed. My cat vomits and we had no idea why or what was wrong with her but not it is clearly FF and we will never buy this again. I usually Feed her the gravy ones and she now doesn’t eat all of it and that is when I realized something was wrong.. She used to love eating FF and now she takes her time Eating it and she vomits.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information