1.11/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

106 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My felines had been eating this canned food for years. However, within the past few months, I noticed gristle/bone/more grease in the food from Kroger. It's disgusting, they won't eat it now. I made complaints to Purina, Fancy Feast and Kroger. They need to remove this food from their shelves and check their quality control.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I thought I was giving my kitty nutritional value when I was giving him Fancy Feast. Wrong. He would wake me up to eat it until a month in when he started vomiting and howling followed by explosive diarrhea. It's the worse feeling when your loving pet is very sick and you can't communicate or comfort them. Don't let this happen to your kitty. If you have it throw it away or return it immediately! We circulated between about 15 flavors and it was when I added 3 new flavors to his diet that within the first week he was violently ill. Now I would never recommend or trust the brand. I have also called the location in which I purchased and I am not a lone wolf I came to find. However it is still sitting on the shelf!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Male cat, 10 years old... had eaten "Fancy Feast" (canned) for years. Started rejecting this 11-25-2018. Lost weight, vomited bile (clear, yellow tinge) - EXTREME constipation. Required hydration (3 times), XRAYs, anti-nausea, and appetite stimulant. All he had to do was sniff the so called "food" - he was hungry, but would NOT consume anything (fish, chicken, etc) from one of the new "round pull tab cans". We looked CAREFULLY for point of production. This data has been erased. Having a number of "square pull top cans"? We switched to these, exclusively. SAME cat, now happy, eating, and recovering with OLD product. The new Fancy Feast is POISON. FF has never had a recall... and betting they are FIGHTING one now. DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR CAT, please? Buy another brand until these folks admit the problem, and correct it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

She would vomit after her 5pm feeding of the Fancy Feast pork, chicken or beef. We thought maybe she ate too fast, too much, etc. Then she got so sick Dec 2, 2018 she couldn't lift her head up. Rushed her to the animal er...took xrays said her whole digestive system was in an uproar. We told them about the food. They gave her a shot for vomiting & dehydration & fever. Cost me $585.55! Called Purina. Gave all the numbers on the box etc. They said someone would call me in 5 days. My poor cat almost died!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Fancy Feast Classic Canned Food since I got him as a kitten. He is 3.5 years old now. In September of 2018, he started throwing up every single day. I slowly took away treats - thinking they were the culprit... but it was the canned fancy feast! Reading these review gave me a panic attack and I was lucky to be able to return all the cans I bought. Something has gone wrong in FF factories... I called the company and let them know but they do not care and they will not claim any liability! Be careful with store bought canned food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Fancy Feast killed my perfectly healthy, 5 year old 15 lb, family member Siamese cat after only consuming 2 cans in a two week period. The levels of toxins must be very high. Walmart CEO has been notified Nov 28 That FF knows. In the research process Nestlé was sued for incorporating "slave ships" for acquiring fish for the canned cat food. I made contact with these same attorneys since they are familiar with Nestlé scumbags and their low value on human life. I would say their concern for your pet's life is even less.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am glad I found this site reviewing Fancy Feast. My 12-year-old cat has eaten Fancy Feast dry with Ocean Fish & Salmon for a few years but about 4 months ago started crying loudly, then throwing up every day. I switched her to 1 can of the wet Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers and she would eat about half of it first thing in the morning then snack on the dry stuff during the day and has not thrown up for 2 weeks. BUT the last 2 days she just smells the can stuff and won't touch it. Can someone please give me a suggestion of another dry cat food I can give her from Walmart. I live in the middle of nowhere so don't have many choices, just Walmart cat food. I see now Fancy Feast anything is not good anymore.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My kitten is about 4 months old and I started him out with Purina Naturals dry kitten food and would give him a little bit of the canned Purina wet Fancy Feast twice a day, which he absolutely loved. About 5 days ago I bought a 12 pack of the canned Fancy Feast for kittens which included the turkey and the white fish and started to give it to him regularly but by Friday night (the next day) I noticed a change in him. He's usually very playful, outgoing and friendly but now he was hiding and very tired and wouldn't eat. This progressed throughout the weekend. I was watching my kitten waste away basically. He was vomiting bile, had diarrhea and barely woke up for anything. I tried giving him some of the Fancy Feast kitten food but he wouldn't touch it at all which I found odd since he is so food oriented.

I took him to the vet this morning and he recommended that I stop giving him the Fancy Feast wet food and just stick to the dry food for now. He will still eat the Purina Naturals and, like magic, he seems to be back to his old self again. I will start to be more vigilant on reading these reviews before purchasing cat food again. Side note: I started feeding my kitten these foods because my best friend has been feeding her older kitty these foods for years. Lately she's been noticing her cat has been losing weight lately and has also found blood in her cats stool. She will be switching from Fancy Feast as well.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My two cats (both 3) have been happily eating the chicken, beef, and turkey classic Fancy Feast pates as part of their regular core diet for the past two years. It was food they loved the taste of and that I liked for having good ingredients. I have recommended it to others. But in early October one of them began having intermittent bad diarrhea and then about 4 weeks ago (late Oct.) they both developed intense diarrhea and vomiting. Went through a whole round of vet care and antibiotics and they improved on prescription food. Then we reintroduced the Fancy Feast (not from my supply but from new cans from the store) and they became violently ill again.

I would note that when we first began feeding them this, there was no "fish" listed in the ingredients. There is now. I have no idea when the change happened. We don't feed them any other food with fish in it, so perhaps this is the issue. Perhaps they have a sensitivity to fish? Or maybe the fish products are bad? For reference, the batch I had at home is a May 2020 expiration and I didn't save the can from the second round. Appears to have been made in St. Louis, not France as others have noted. But the label says "manufactured by" not "made in" and I don't know if technically those are the same thing.

There could always be another explanation, but they have had multiple stool samples with no parasites found, we have no toxic houseplants, and they are indoor cats where other conditions have not changed and they are unlikely to catch other germs. So I am sadly abandoning this otherwise trustworthy brand because I just can't risk this again. So to be clear, this was never a problem before but seems to be a problem now, though there could always be another cause we haven't identified.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Our mature but very healthy and robust cat "Mr. Whiskers" is a very hearty eater, he is a large cat and likes his food 'on time and on demand'. In the many years since we rescued him I don't ever recall seeing him appear sick in any way. He has been known to shown preference to certain food, mainly turkey, so we, as his loyal personal butler and servants, try to accommodate. He likes Fancy Feast dry food which is always there and ready for him, and at least twice, or more, daily he likes Fancy Feast canned food, specifically Turkey and Giblets Pate. We recently bought several boxes of it from an online service because our store kept running out.

A few days ago, shortly after eating his wet food, he vomited and had diarrhea, and continued to do both for much of the day. I have never seen a cat be so sick. It is what I imagine Ebola patients like?! He did finally recover, and only ate his dry food for days. After several days we tried him on his wet food again, total repeat, 'Fluid Flowing Out Both Ends City'. He is so tough though, and recovered the next day, but he looked pretty rough, like a horrible tequila hangover after a week in Mexico. We are definitely wondering what the heck is with that batch of Fancy Feast, he used to love it, and will it happen again? We do like him, although he can be bossy, and don't want him to be sick again. Glad we read this, I think we need to find him something new.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We have been feeding most of our nine cats for years Fancy Feast, but in the last 2 weeks they have been vomiting, they eat then vomit. So far 6 out of the nine have vomited. The other three live outside so we are not sure. I’m wondering if maybe the last six boxes I purchased are contaminated. I’m taking one of the six to the vet tomorrow. Maybe they can figure it out. Is there anyone else out there who are experiencing the same reaction with their cats?? Any suggestions??

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I had one cat Margaret who was about 18 die recently. I was feeding her and one other cat Winston both Fancy Feast Dried food and fancy feast canned food. Both cats started vomiting horribly and would no longer eat the dry food or the wet food so I switched to regular Purina dry cat chow and Friskies canned food. After reading these reviews I am nervous about that too. Tomorrow I am getting different brand of food. Last week I bought another pack of the Fancy Feast Seafood Classic Patte and within moments of eating some my remaining cat got violently ill. Crazy Projectile vomiting that was a strange bright beige color.

He then went and hid in closet. I went and got him and out him on blanket and kept a close eye on him. The following day he was better but still not great and had diarrhea. The second day I was going to take him to the Vet but he was fine. He is not real enthusiastic about the Friskies canned food now either. WTF. After researching this a bit and reading these reviews which all seem to illustrate the same symptoms, some resulting in the Cat's death I am both furious and nervous. The cat that died I had for 15 years and I am crushed. Is my other cat going to die now too?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Sometime in early August of 2018 my 12 yo cat Grace started to refuse to eat this product (after many years of consumer loyalty to this brand), preceded and followed by serious episodes of vomiting and diarrhea. After 3 visits and much expense at the vets, there seemed to be no answer as to the cause. No remedy or medication seemed to alleviate the severity of her failing condition. Eventually, her G/I system became increasingly compromised to the point of no water or food intake whatsoever, and, on August 27th, she was euthanized to end her suffering. She was all I had.

After 2 weeks of unbearable grief, I decided to visit the local animal shelter, and returned home with a 6 yo new friend, called Miz Gizmo. Since I already had a significant supply of this brand on hand, I began feeding her the identical diet and flavors, with no idea of what was about to happen. In a matter of days, she too was vomiting repeatedly, and emitting serious diarrhea with no letup. Continued vet visits offered no clue, just more tests and no remedies, just ongoing discomfort from the debilitating medications, and more weight loss from dehydration.

Using logic, and a bit of common sense, I decided to remove this brand/flavor from her diet, and almost immediately, she began to eat again, and to become more or less herself once more. Thinking she was out of the woods, I tested an idea that maybe it was her food. Checking and verifying the particular expiration dates (Aug 2020) and Lot number codes (L1134), I gave her another try from the same batch. In a matter of hours, all nasty symptoms (vomit/diarrhea) returned with a vengeance, and I had my answer. Further research brought me here to this site, and my findings have been verified.

Since then, I have begun a crusade to end this nightmare, including contacting Purina to let them know what I know, and what I intend to do about it. I have begun the process of informing the major online vendors of this product (Amazon and Walmart) of its potential risk, and they are now investigating, and will likely pull the product from being available on their sites while the research continues. I have informed them and many others of this website as the primary verification of this issue (along with making them aware of their own customers' negative reviews that correspond with this website and timeline).

Purina's only reaction so far has been to offer me a paltry amount of discount coupons, and the vague possibility of compensation for my vet bills ($800+), though they refuse to acknowledge that they are aware of the issue, and no recall of any kind is in the works. My plan, is to hold Purina/Nestle accountable, through their wallets, by bringing the heavy-weight retail/vendor sites into the mix to inform their respective customers of the potential and verifiable hazards, and to ultimately force a product recall. When I am finished with my crusade, they WILL own this disgraceful episode of corporate malfeasance, and do what is right. In the name of Grace, and to all who have suffered through this along with me, I will get this done. I promise.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have been feeding my 1 1/2 year old cat Fancy Feast canned food for the past year. For about a month he has turned up his nose at some flavors he had liked. In the last two weeks he has had diarrhea three times, very smelly. The vet says all his vitals are ok. Now he has diarrhea again. His personality has changed some, and he is not as happy. I just found this site, and see how it has been making cats very sick! I am very angry at Purina for changing their product formula somehow that is making pets sick. What a betrayal of trust. Have called them. I will make a complaint to the FDA. Have ordered another brand, Royal Canin. Not sure who to trust! If Royal Canin not good, will try Hills!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've read a few threads on this site about the experiences of others with FF dry foods. I had a similar experience with this food with the frequent vomiting, but my cat also developed a nasty rash around hear head and neck. The blood work from the vet showed an elevated eosinophil count, an indicator of lymphoma. The rash got worse so on a return visit she suspected an allergy, probably a food allergy. She told me corn is the number one cause of these conditions, followed closely by wheat.

I returned home and looked at the FF bad and there it was, corn! I stopped the food immediately, even though it was the main part of her diet. A month later the rash was just about gone and her blood counts were returning to normal and the marathon vomiting bouts have stopped. Please please please read the labels on your pet's food. Contacting Purina does absolutely no good as long as they are making money. Even their new "natural" dry food contains corn. The corn in this food came pretty close to killing my cat, don't let it happen to you.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I'm having the same experience as many others are. My cats have eaten Fancy Feast canned cat food for a few years. For some reason they won't eat any of it anymore. This began early in 2018. I have tried every flavor there is. They began to vomit it up, now they won't eat it at all. I won't buy it anymore. This is happening with other brands of Purina canned cat food. I will most likely have to begin to make their food at home.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

After many more than 5 years of our cat eating dry Fancy Feast, our cat won't go near her bowl of food. I'm not sure what is wrong with this batch but it is not like the others. Tried another brand and now eating.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Our diabetic cat has eaten Fancy Feast for 14 years. This past summer I noticed she vomited shortly after eating her Fancy Feast and then would howl. I thought it was a diabetes related issue so took her to the vet. Her blood sugar was good and so I wondered if it was related to the food. Did a search and found this! Once I stopped feeding her Fancy Feast; the vomiting stopped. I’ve emailed the company but no response.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My cats have been eating Fancy Feast “fish & shrimp” for a couple of years. My younger one is very picky and this is one of the only canned foods she will eat (they eat dry food - but as a dinner treat they get some Fancy Feast). I just got a new box of it from Petco and yesterday and today she smells it and walks away (the other cat still ate it, so I will be keeping an eye on her! I opened three cans and she wanted nothing to do with any of them! I did notice that the food looked much darker than it usually is???? I will be bringing the unopened cans back to Petco and can hopefully find another brand of food the picky one will eat (she doesn’t even like people tuna).

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My 2 adult cats (15 and 14 years) have been happily eating Fancy Feast products, wet and dry foods, since they were kittens. Recently purchased (17 Oct 2018) one box of the Salmon flavoured and one box of chicken 85g tins (8 tins per box) and they both refused outright to eat. This stuff isn't inexpensive! The product information states Made in France with a Best Before date of 01.2020 and reference number 8124A.102.34. I have my supermarket receipt and will contact the Petcare advice team. I'll post their response on this site if they get back to me.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

My cat has been eating Fancy Feast for about 4 years, but in the past month he has vomited his Fancy Feast soon after eating. I thought it was a bad can, bad lot, whatever so I bought another case, but he still vomited. Now after reading the reviews, I see that our experience is like so many others. I will throw out all of the remaining cans and find another cat food. This food should be recalled.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Cat used to love the Fancy Feast brand until recently. Approx 6 months where is when from PRODUCT of the USA to Made IN FRANCE. I did bring this up with the manufacturer Nestlé Purina Pet Care. There is a process or ingredient that MAKES the PRODUCT OF FRANCE make my cat walk away and they admitted the change of where item was made. And I threw away 60 tins of such. I was also advised that they were going to go back to USA manufacture but to date this has been false, the supermarket shelves are now full of ONLY MADE IN FRANCE. So Purina another LOST CUSTOMER. Why mislead customers? The new product is causing people to lose money and faith in Nestle Purina.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I changed my 3 yr old healthy cat from dry Kibble Kaboodle to Fancy Feast Salmon Pate, Chicken Pate within the past 3 months. I thought he needed to have moisture. I notice recently he smells the food and walks away. Yesterday he was hungry and ate well. This morning he threw up and had a lot of smelly diarrhea. Threw up twice, I don't have the means to take him to the Vet. Something is wrong with this food. I will not feed him Fancy Feast again. I pray he gets well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My 12 week kitten has been having diarrhea. I thought he was sick with worms or something but he had his shots, So I stop giving him Fancy Feast to see what happens. He stop having diarrhea. I let him get better then I started him back on fancy feast then he started having diarrhea again so I looked up if anyone else is having this problem. Came across this. Wow. The food must be poison. I'm going to start him on Blue and never buy this brand again. I hope my kitten gets better again now that I stopped giving him this food.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Just started using Fancy Feast about a week ago. My very healthy energetic indoor cat hid last night in an unused room after vomiting twice. She always follows me from room to room and sleeps with me, but she just wanted to be alone. She has never not used her litter box, but last night she urinated on the bed that she retreated to. I could tell she felt really bad. Hope this passes and I get my fun cute kitty back. I will be throwing out the Fancy Feast I bought in Walmart.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Our cat has been eating Fancy Feast - Chicken Feast Classic Pate for over a year now and has always loved it. All of a sudden he’s now smelling it and walking away. Something must have changed because I’ve bought several cans with different lot numbers from different stores and he’s rejecting all of them. Someone please check into this and find out what’s going on - from the other reviews it appears something is seriously wrong - unfortunately you’ve lost another customer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We have two cats and have been feeding both Fancy Feast with greens for more than a decade. One is 16 years old and the other is 6 years old. Our 6 year will always eat Fancy Feast and some dry food (Whiskas). Since we started a new 12 pack last weekend she is now hiding and not interested in eating Fancy Feast the past couple of days. She only has eaten some dry food. The 16 year old barely touches her Fancy Feast and after eating some she howls. No vomit. Very little pee in the box. We have thrown out the uneaten opened cans. We will need to take our 6 year old to the vet if she does not feel better by tomorrow. What is going on with this brand? Our cats were addicted to this food. We trust these companies with their lives.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My cat had been eating canned Fancy Feast for years, but only very recently has she stopped. Perhaps ingredients recently changed. She's been vomiting more, yowling in the middle of the night, pacing, having diarrhea and getting my attention. She gets clean water and fresh litter and lives in a clean home. I'm going to guess something is seriously wrong with the food. I'll be switching her diet starting tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My cat has eaten Fancy Feast since she was a kitten (she is now 9 years old) but since August this year (2018) she has had vomiting and diarrhea after eating this food. She has never been a fussy eater but she will no longer eat any of the varieties, just smells it and then walks away. Something has changed with this food and whatever it is, it is not good for cats. Have the ingredients changed? Has the product source changed? Have the meat and fish suppliers changed? Has the country of origin changed? Whatever the difference is, my cat will no longer be a consumer.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have fed my diabetic cat Fancy Feast in the past because it surprisingly doesn't have a high carb content, which is bad for diabetic cats. This recent purchase of their food has left my cat throwing up every day after eating - the first day I thought her blood sugars had spiked, but three days of it is not normal at all. I hopped on here to read the reviews and lo-and-behold, everyone else has the same issue. Looks like I am done with Fancy Feast and Purina!

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information