1.16/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Fancy Feast

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

176 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

When I read reviews on FF making cats sick a while back some mentioned that the cans had a round pull tab. I believe FF is manufactured in different facilities. I bought FF from a place here in Canada and noticed the pull tabs were round so I took them back. I only buy the square type pull tabs since I read the reviews. I haven't had a problem with cats throwing up or diarrhea.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Am weighing in because of all the negative reviews I just read. Honestly FF is my go-to brand because I know our cats will eat it. Am mystified and appalled that so many reviewers have had such different experiences. Indoor cat favors the seafood wet and dry food, Outdoor cat favors the chicken wet and dry food. They seem to enjoy their meals, especially the Gravy Lovers wet food. At their check-ups the vets have found them happy and healthy. I don't know what to make of the bad experiences some here have reported. I feel very bad for those owners and their cats, but as long as my cats continue eating it, I'll keep buying it for them.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My cat loves various flavors of Fancy Feast! He's healthy and happy and my vet friend recommends them. His blood work and vet visits always come back good. He seems to have great energy levels. He's super intelligent and I owe it all to Fancy Feast.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I have two cats that have just turned about two years old and they have been very healthy. In the last couple of weeks I subconsciously noticed a vomit here or there which was very unusual because my cats never vomit. My hairy cat has vomited a hairball only twice since he’s been born. I thought maybe it’s summer and he’s licking himself more and shedding, but the newer vomit doesn’t really contain hairballs. Then suddenly this week they have been vomiting three times a day and diarrhea every single time, and in my bathroom sink and tub like they are trying to tell me something. There’s several occasions every day. And they seemed so skinny and hair was not shiny and healthy looking like it usually is. They seemed dehydrated and lethargic.

I went online and read the very recent reviews for Fancy Feast and completely freaked out about reading other peoples cats being deathly ill and some dead. I immediately stopped them from eating the food and now I’m just waiting to see if they get better before deciding to fork out hundreds on vet bills. There seems to be less vomiting today but still diarrhea, so this leads me to believe it is the Fancy Feast.

I give them an assortment of the gravy type canned food, chicken, tuna, etc. I’m actually quite irritate at the last couple reviews giving fancy feast five stars and saying their cats are fine. To me it seems like it’s a cover-up from fake reviewers. How incredibly belittling and disrespectful to other reviewers to sugarcoat a real problem that other people are having and some ultimately losing their pets. If you actually have and care about your pets, you wouldn’t be reading these reviews and going out of your way to write a good review about the food, but rather be concerned about your own cats health if you heard about these incidents from other people. I highly doubt you hang out on the internet looking for bad reviews on fancy feast to debate about. I know I never did until now.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I have always given my cat a can of FF Gravy Lovers as a treat. I did he subscribe and save through Amazon at the end of last year and had a horrible experience with it. She was starting to throw up shortly after consuming it and I thought must be amazon and poor quality batch. I waited and kept her on her usual dry food as she got better. I went to the grocery store April and got my cat the beef feast. Same thing happened. This time the vomiting progressed to bile, lethargy, hiding, diarrhea. She displayed bumps/rashes around head/ears/neck.

Blood work saw chronic inflammation (further analyzed by by pathologist). She still couldn’t keep down food despite antibiotics. She passed away July 3rd. While undergoing surgery, all mesenteric lymph nodes enlarged, one the size of a lemon. Intestinal lymphoma. How did my healthy, running and jumping cat die quite rapidly? Oh, and I was unable to remove the dye from my carpet when my cat did vomit. Disgusted. Corporate greed. That cat was my child and I am furious.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: July 14, 2019

After feeding my cats ate the new Fancy Feast Gourmet Natural wet canned food, a few hours later, all 5 cats began vomiting and later had diarrhea!! This food need to be recalled immediately!!! Thumbs down!

Original review: July 12, 2019

I have always fed my cats Fancy Feast. Now they walk away. After reading all these reviews I can see something's up. Our pets are family. If this company has changed to something that cats won't eat I am throwing what I have just bought out. This has made my decision very easy.

Original review: July 12, 2019

My cat has been active and healthy for her age, then started vomiting and diarrhea and we thought it was a bug for a couple days, but now she is extremely lethargic and will not eat or drink or even hold her head up. We just thought it was old age that suddenly was taking her from us until I started reading these reviews and this is what we feed her. I am heartbroken. Is this food laced with poison or what?? Shame on Fancy Feast. I will keep all the cans of food we have and find out how to test them. It is 10:44 PM on 7-11-2019 and my poor little cat is near death. If she makes it through the night, we will have her at the vet in the AM.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Wow, I knew something was up and thought I'd send a note to Purina, but this is serious. Have fed over 15 cats during the years all on Classic. Currently have 7 and they've all walked away from it... I was able to find some with a 'best by date of 2020' which seems to be OK and they ate it. But anything with a '2021 or 2024' date is just going down the garbage disposal. It smells bad to me and it is much 'darker' than the previous FF Classic. SO, something has changed but getting Purina to admit what changed will be a challenge. Hope my post helps... Going back to Friskie's Pate which they will eat.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My 4 cats have been raised on Fancy Feast since they were kittens. It was the only food they would eat (we tried them all). Starting about a month ago they started walking away from it after sniffing. We tried different flavors thinking they were just being finicky. When they got hungry enough, they reluctantly ate it. Then the puking and diarrhea started. It was constant. Had to take one kitty in for daily fluid treatments. The past 2 weeks have been hell at our house, and I've spent nearly $2000 to this point. We had no idea what was going on, until we found this thread. Vet advised to stop Fancy Feast, kitties are now on prescription food, when they eat. They are lethargic and have obvious digestive distress. Please voluntarily recall this food until you figure out what's happening!!!!

Original review: July 8, 2019

Since they were little, they are now two and three years old, all five of my cats of been able to eat Fancy Feast but like the reviews below, mine are now sick! They have vomited up every time they ate it. I am asking for a refund from Amazon. Please, Fancy Feast, take this off your shelves! it is not healthy for cats!

Original review: July 8, 2019

My 18 year old cat has eaten Fancy Feast Classic varieties (mostly Turkey & Giblet because of a chicken sensitivity and a fish sensitivity) and has loved it his whole life. I also have a four year old cat with a big appetite. In the last few months, I have noticed a strong smell with the Turkey & Giblets variety. The consistency also has varied from lot to lot, but the strong smell is common to all lots. I inquired about a change in formula, as the ingredients appeared to be the same- was told nothing has changed. But both cats gradually ate less and less of it, even my 4 year old who loves to eat. I also feed grain free dry food and switch brands of wet food during the week, so I thought maybe it was them being finicky. When they started refusing it, I knew I had to use my instinct, because of the strong smell, and dig deeper.

I had previously looked at the FDA recall site, and found nothing. So tonight I see all the posts and I am aghast. It looks like gravy varieties are the worst. My cans have been made in St, Louis, not overseas, but whenever a cat doesn’t finish a bowl of food, you have to worry. I previously ran into a brick wall with Purina several years ago trying to find out if their can linings were BPA free, so with the comments I am reading here, I will never buy another Purina product again. The smell isn’t spoilage or textbook “bad” but it is very off-putting and kind of artificial smell, so I am wondering if they are using chemical taste enhancers. Cat people up to now called Fancy Food “kitty crack” so this is not necessary. Maybe it’s some kind of filler. Whatever it is, you can bank on corporate greed being at the bottom of it.

For people looking for alternatives, Chewy.com has the largest variety of cat food and supplies I’ve seen anywhere and shipping is free with $49 spent, but you have to buy by the case. They do have great information on products, ingredients, where made, nutrition, reviews, etc so you can use it as a research venue if your cat has dietary restrictions. Thank you to the people running this forum for being the canary in the coal mine. The FDA has to get on this!

Original review: June 23, 2019

Sick cat since Jan 2018..weight lost, high liver enzymes and lump in the liver found during ultrasound mid 2018 and now my other cat has joined in with puking. UGh! Fancy Feast has been all 4 cats favorite until I read this news feed. I quit FF and all Purina brand food on Friday and have begun Bear's journey of cooked food. It's been 3 days and 2 mild throw ups, instead of 5 puke ups by now. I will chalk this up at forward movement. Look up raw cooking recipes.

Original review: June 14, 2019

They all vomited the food. They didn't want to eat it anymore after 1 week of eating the food. 1 of them got really sick still vomiting and having black stool and now not eating much and not drinking water, this is still happening 3 days after eating the food. We are taking him to the vet. And we have stopped feeding our cats the food and no longer purchasing this brand anymore. I wrote a report at Costco and they said they will send the report I made to Fancy Feast.

Original review: June 12, 2019

We have 4 cats and slowly they have started turning their nose up to it and one has been in and out of vet with kidney problems and low white blood count. So between yesterday and today all 4 have had volatile throwing up so I started researching and I am so upset! Why haven't they recalled this food! Everyone has the same complaint! I will never use Purina again! If Something happens to one of my babies I will sue! Please people do not feed your animals Purina and spread the word!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I buy Fancy Feast classic pate by the case and my cats have been eating it just fine for the past few years. It was manufactured in the good old USA. Just recently, they started eating less, walking up to the plate, smelling it, then walking away. I noticed that the food is now being manufactured in France and the ingredients are a little different. I contacted Purina and was told just certain "grilled" varieties were being manufactured there. They sent me some coupons to console me. Not sure what I'm going to try to feed them now.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My cats began turning their noses up at FF a few years ago. One has irritable bowel syndrome and has reacted violently to some varieties. But they also turn their noses up at other brands, so it's a problem. Sometimes I will just do anything so they'll eat, like feed them FF when I know it's not a healthy choice. But it used to be ok!!! My cat with IBS (16 yo) was recently hospitalized with pancreatitis. Doc wasn't sure she'd make it, but five days later, she started eating again and seems to be okay, thank goodness. Don't know if it was food or something else, but the problem began immediately after she ate FF tuna and threw it all up.

I appreciate the recommendations others have made for replacement brands. I've tried so many, though, and thrown practically all out. I know cats are finicky, and dietary changes are challenging, but I’ve also wondered if there's something in the FF formula that makes cats addicted. Petco has discontinued its sales of FF and Friskies, and some other Purina products as well because of the additives and artificial ingredients and flavors. Kudos to them. Now FF has come out with a "natural" version. Who knows what that means, but I am trusting it's healthier???

It's just not okay for Nestle/Purina to deny formula changes when obviously that's not the case. They'll also say there have been no complaints, when there are plenty of complaints online. But we consumers also need to push back. I pushed hard a few years ago and got a financial refund for expensive vet treatment (and coupons for more inedible food). Petco certainly has more clout than we do, but we can help make it painful enough so they have to do the right thing. How about our states' consumer protection bureaus? I might give that a try too.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The FF chicken classic pate that were made from France are different than those made in the U.S.A. in both appearance and formulation. Go ahead to compare the labels. Those made in France has less chicken, more inorganic impurities, less Calories. My cat needs to consume 202 kcal/day. This calculation was based on the cans made in the U.S. At first, I thought all FF made in the U.S. with the same specifications, I didn't know that those made from France contains 10% less stuff and has different components and composition. As a result, I underfed my cat for 1.5 months before I notice the products were different. Why it is so hard to see it, because they use the same color label, same container size and design. Unless you read the fine print, you wouldn't notice it.

To be sure you got the products from the U.S. The label must print 'manufactured by...at St. Louis...' and NOT "distributed by.... product from France. The U.S. version has 99 kcal/can whereas the France's version has 90 kcal/can. So I underfed my cat 20 kcal/day. The worst thing is that my cat now simply walked away from FF. I tried different varieties of FF, Boo wouldn't touch it. Something must have bothered him. I called FF and asked if any ingredient changes or formulation changes, they said NO. But if you compare the labels, there were significant changes. What a lie. I am more concern about too much artificial stuff were put in the products, e.g. Vitamin A can be toxic if it is overdosed. The first system is losing hair. Petco told me that they will not carry FF in the near future anymore because of too much chemicals.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Our geriatric cat is currently in a very bad state. It is easy to blame problems on age, and as it happened she was just due for another 6 month exam anyway, so I figured, "Well, it's finally the kidneys and it's time to start a fluids routine". Except it wasn't and her labs were really surprising decent -- except for her liver which is suddenly in bad shape. We have safe plants and such and, no, I do not believe she ate some random poison in our home environment. She was fine Thursday as ever, as a geriatric cat goes, until we restocked her Fancy Feast Thursday and she blew her first can Friday morning and went into the foaming heaves and refuses to eat and is hiding in a "I'm in pain, leave me alone hiding place." It is hard not to be suspicious that that restocked Fancy Feast was the variable that changed. I think this thread may on to something similar to the melamine fiasco of Purina's that killed so many dogs and it chills me.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have fed my cats Fancy Feast wet cat food for years and they stopped wanting to eat it. I thought it smelled strange. And then one suddenly died and the others acted like they didn't feel well. Stopped giving it to them. I am so worried and I will not give them any wet food of any kind. Only Rachael Ray dry food. I will file a claim. The loss of my little girl Sissy Poo was devastating like losing a child.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Please read! Please do not give your kitty Fancy Feast food! My cat has eaten Fancy Feast dry and wet food for a long time. Last year he started throwing up increasingly (almost daily!) and I have taken him to 2 different veterinarians for help. The first vet did not have any answers as to why he was puking up food almost daily. The second vet was positive hairballs were the cause. I finally switched out his dry food from Fancy Feast (Chicken & Turkey and Filet Mignon & Seafood) to another brand. That next day, no puking. He has not puked for 6 days now and I know the dry food was the problem. All other items in his diet remained the same. I am not buying Fancy Feast or another else owned by Purina again. Please folks, do not feed this stuff to your cats!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have a 13 yr. old female cat who have been eating a variety of Fancy Feast cat food all of her life. In the last 4 to 5 months she has been throwing up. At first I thought it was just hairballs. I just took her to the vet this week and found her white blood count is down to 300. Normal range should be 1200-3000. She went from energetic to lethargic in two weeks time. She has lost 2.25 lbs since Dec.2018 which is a lot for a cat to lose in that short amount of time. The vet mentioned possible kidney failure. I have copied all of the reviews to bring to my vet. I only wish I read these reviews sooner. I trusted your cat food for over 20 yrs. as I had fed my previous babies the same food. I am so worried about my baby. I will be in contact with Purina. You should have made this public long ago.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My cats have been eating FF for over 13 years.. last year something changed (read article about chicken formula changed) but they don’t eat that flavor. The past few months found out my male cat has kidney disease and my female will only eat hard food. If either one did eat FF, they ran to the litter box immediately! I switched to Wellness no grain and also Nulo no grain, which they will eat if sprinkled with freeze dried salmon. I am so sorry pet parents have lost their treasured pets due to the greed of this company. I will NEVER buy a Purina (Mars?) product again. This Fancy Feast food is tainted with something awful and needs to be RECALLED!

Original review: March 24, 2019

I wish I had known about Fancy Feast cat food poisoning our cats. My baby Lulu is in very bad shape right now. She is 13 years old and had been eating Fancy Feast pate wet food most of her life. Within last year, she began throwing up more often, and lately, she wasn't finishing most of her food. Suddenly, she can hardly walk, won't eat, and is lethargic. She has been totally checked out and my vets cannot tell me what is wrong with her. After trying different meds, she is still just wasting away, barely able to walk. I am so saddened and depressed. They cannot tell me why this happening to her. I feel I will be losing my baby.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Have been feeding my 4 cats Fancy Feast for years and had no problem. Now when they eat the Chicken Florentine they throw up. And the same goes for some of the other flavors. Very concerned about this. I am throwing out the remainder of the cans.

Original review: March 18, 2019

In Feb 2019 my cat vomited after eating FF Chicken Florentine. Unusual for her to be sick. I threw that can away but had the same result with another can. Since then she will eat the gravy but often leaves the solid pieces. The contents of the cans appears darker, grayer than it used to be. Having read the experience of so many others, I will not feed her FF canned food again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Fancy Feast used to be one of the better foods as it has low carbohydrate and it helped me w/ feline diabetes. I became a detective reading labels due to FD. I was appalled by the changes to Fancy Feast's formula. The first was the addition of nitrates to their Salmon. Then they started using wheat gluten in place of meat. Nitrates in more flavors. I thought the only safe flavors left were Turkey and Giblets and Chicken and liver. My cat began to refuse to eat it. We did not suspect the food, until I read what others have experienced. We lost our beloved cat which nothing can ever replace. Purina should be ashamed going after a dollar instead of supplying food we can trust to give these members of our family.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My cats -8 have been eating classic beef and chicken and cheddar Fancy Feast. The last 5 months they won’t eat it. I’ve bought it at Petco, Amazon, Chewy and filed complaints but Purina has done nothing. The companies have all said no one has complained. It’s simply NOT true. And Purina has done absolutely NOTHING about it. I want to feed them healthier food and have been buying many others but they won’t eat it. I am at my wit's end. Can anyone recommend other foods their cats will eat?? I would appreciate any/all suggestions.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Hi, I am a caregiver for a 73 yr old man who is an owner of a 9 yr old Maine Coon female cat. Recently, she started turning her nose up to the Fancy Feast cat food, which she previously loved. Today she vomited and the cleaning lady said it did not look like a hairball - just the food she had just eaten. I said, “I bet it must be the cat food.” So I looked online and saw all these horrible reviews and now what I suspected to be the case MUST be true. This product MUST BE RECALLED. I am grateful ShopRite will allow an exchange for a different cat food. It needs to be pulled from the shelves ASAP! Thanks to all who took the time to post this!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have 2 cats 6 years and 5 years, they both have been on a non grain dry food and the wet cans of Fancy Feast for all of their lives. Recently they will not touch any of the Fancy Feast wet food. My youngest was throwing up quite often after he would eat a couple of bites. My oldest won't even try to eat it. She smells it and walks away. They always loved it before, so I don't know what happened. After reading these reviews, I am now convinced that it is the food that is bad. I am going to throw all of the remaining cans that I have out and start to feed them something else. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good wet canned food?

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information