2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Fancy Feast Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat, 11 been on Fancy Feast for 10 years no issues. I’m sorry to read of the experiences others are having on here. She’s always happy and playful after her fancy feast meal. I tried the pate for some variety - Ended up Exchanging it - getting older and loves the sauce. Does anyone know if this is available in larger cans? Not the pate variety. Seems like a lot of recycling material if we are trying to save the planet.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My cat is 4 years old and I’ve had her for about 2 years. I’ve tried every wet cat food I could find to settle on one they wouldn’t make her throw up after a few tries. I found F F Savory Centers and she loved it and didn’t throw up. I forgot where I bought it and went on a hunt in & near my town to find it again. Let me tell you most stores with pet food do not carry it. Finally found it at Walmart & PetSmart but not all those stores have it. I could have cases shipped to me but they are variety packs and my cat won’t eat beef so I buy individual cans. It’s been about 2 months now and she luvs it & hasn’t thrown up once! One downfall is she’s hungry more often. I think because it’s lighter than most cat foods.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I keep hearing all these bad things and reading bad reviews, but my ten cats ranging from 2 to 18 years have been eating FF Classic pate all their lives and they are thriving on it. If that ever changes I will let you all know.

Original review: July 15, 2019

When I read reviews on FF making cats sick a while back some mentioned that the cans had a round pull tab. I believe FF is manufactured in different facilities. I bought FF from a place here in Canada and noticed the pull tabs were round so I took them back. I only buy the square type pull tabs since I read the reviews. I haven't had a problem with cats throwing up or diarrhea.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I found this site when I searched to see if FF had been recalled. I have been feeding my cats FF pate canned food (various flavors) for over 10 years without issue. I have noticed in the past couple of months that my cats are eating less of the FF food or refusing to eat the canned food altogether. I have also experienced that my cats are throwing up quite often. 2 weeks ago I took one cat to the emergency vet as he threw up for over 24 hours and his wrenching scared me. He was given an injection and improved. I have even had my feral cats refuse to eat the food. Today one of my feral cats refused the food and one ate about 3/4 of it. After reading so many people are having similar issues I am very concerned. The feral who ate the food today is now missing and I am concerned I may have poisoned him with the FF. I too will be reaching out to Purina and the FDA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

My cat is 15 yrs. old. She would only eat Fancy Feast grilled chicken and liver. For about 2 wks now she has progressively stopped eating her food. She would scratch the floor and try to bury it. She will nibble on her dry food and she does drink water. I researched if there was a recall on Fancy Feast and there is not. Then I ran across this! So thankful I did! To think I maybe slowly poisoning my beloved cat is beyond belief! Thank you so much everyone for your life saving posts!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have a 19 year old cat who has been eating Fancy Feast since she was a kitten. The chicken with liver pate was her favorite. Around a year ago she started vomiting so hard that she would literally fall over. She had terrible diarrhea to the point where she couldn’t control it and she would go all over her back legs. She also lost so much weight. I took her to the vet and she weighed 5 pounds. I changed her cat food to a brand called I Love You. What a difference!!! Immediately there was no more diarrhea and vomiting. It has been about 5 months since I switched and I can honestly say that she is a different cat. She has put weight back on and she seems like her old self again. I feel so guilty because I was literally killing my cat by feeding her Fancy Feast. Stay away from Fancy Feast.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have 9 cats who have been eating Friskies and FF for many years. I have one cat in particular who will only eat the FF Flaked Fish and Shrimp. I have noticed recently the food is dark and it does not smell normal. She will not eat this food!!! Neither will the other cats. There is something wrong with it. I thought it was perhaps the one case I purchased but unfortunately that is not the case. I called Purina and they said they did not change the ingredients and they offered coupons. I purchased another case and same thing. All dark meat and it smells more like human tuna but with a sickening smell to it. After reading all the reviews here, this is very worrisome.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Hello, I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for a couple years, lately they eat and instantly get sick..also had diarrhea! One of my cats have never been sick in his entire 9 years of life until recently.. I thought he was dying! He was hiding.. not wanting to eat, which has NEVER happened before! I know he did not feel well and I found out it is the Fancy Feast canned cat food that I have been feeding them! I found this out by doing some reviews and seeing how many people since November of 2019 until this year January 2020 has had many cats getting sick that have been on Fancy Feast for a while and suddenly there's a change.

I also noticed a change in the quality of the food when I opened it but didn't think too much about it. I have recently switched to Sheba and my cats are so much better! They are running around the house happier and their Fur feel softer! I only pick the ones that do not have any by-products and it is a success so if anyone out there is feeding fancy feast I suggest you switch!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have always used FF can food for my 4 cats for years with no problems until now. One cat is 9 years old and very picky eater. Over the last 8 months with cans dated 2021, the bottom of the cans poof out when you open them and they smell nasty and look brown. It doesn't matter what flavor it is but a can shouldn't poof out like that. I have called Purina and told them what was going on but all they ever did was send me coupons. What good is a coupon if you can't use the food! Something needs to be done so our cats don't get sick anymore. I'm going to call the Food and Drug Administration and have them check this out. Purina needs to take responsibility for the cat food they make for our pets. Now I need to find another can food my picky eaters will eat.

Not sure about Fancy Feast?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information