1.12/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

163 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2019

I buy Fancy Feast classic pate by the case and my cats have been eating it just fine for the past few years. It was manufactured in the good old USA. Just recently, they started eating less, walking up to the plate, smelling it, then walking away. I noticed that the food is now being manufactured in France and the ingredients are a little different. I contacted Purina and was told just certain "grilled" varieties were being manufactured there. They sent me some coupons to console me. Not sure what I'm going to try to feed them now.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My cats began turning their noses up at FF a few years ago. One has irritable bowel syndrome and has reacted violently to some varieties. But they also turn their noses up at other brands, so it's a problem. Sometimes I will just do anything so they'll eat, like feed them FF when I know it's not a healthy choice. But it used to be ok!!! My cat with IBS (16 yo) was recently hospitalized with pancreatitis. Doc wasn't sure she'd make it, but five days later, she started eating again and seems to be okay, thank goodness. Don't know if it was food or something else, but the problem began immediately after she ate FF tuna and threw it all up.

I appreciate the recommendations others have made for replacement brands. I've tried so many, though, and thrown practically all out. I know cats are finicky, and dietary changes are challenging, but I’ve also wondered if there's something in the FF formula that makes cats addicted. Petco has discontinued its sales of FF and Friskies, and some other Purina products as well because of the additives and artificial ingredients and flavors. Kudos to them. Now FF has come out with a "natural" version. Who knows what that means, but I am trusting it's healthier???

It's just not okay for Nestle/Purina to deny formula changes when obviously that's not the case. They'll also say there have been no complaints, when there are plenty of complaints online. But we consumers also need to push back. I pushed hard a few years ago and got a financial refund for expensive vet treatment (and coupons for more inedible food). Petco certainly has more clout than we do, but we can help make it painful enough so they have to do the right thing. How about our states' consumer protection bureaus? I might give that a try too.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The FF chicken classic pate that were made from France are different than those made in the U.S.A. in both appearance and formulation. Go ahead to compare the labels. Those made in France has less chicken, more inorganic impurities, less Calories. My cat needs to consume 202 kcal/day. This calculation was based on the cans made in the U.S. At first, I thought all FF made in the U.S. with the same specifications, I didn't know that those made from France contains 10% less stuff and has different components and composition. As a result, I underfed my cat for 1.5 months before I notice the products were different. Why it is so hard to see it, because they use the same color label, same container size and design. Unless you read the fine print, you wouldn't notice it.

To be sure you got the products from the U.S. The label must print 'manufactured by...at St. Louis...' and NOT "distributed by.... product from France. The U.S. version has 99 kcal/can whereas the France's version has 90 kcal/can. So I underfed my cat 20 kcal/day. The worst thing is that my cat now simply walked away from FF. I tried different varieties of FF, Boo wouldn't touch it. Something must have bothered him. I called FF and asked if any ingredient changes or formulation changes, they said NO. But if you compare the labels, there were significant changes. What a lie. I am more concern about too much artificial stuff were put in the products, e.g. Vitamin A can be toxic if it is overdosed. The first system is losing hair. Petco told me that they will not carry FF in the near future anymore because of too much chemicals.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Our geriatric cat is currently in a very bad state. It is easy to blame problems on age, and as it happened she was just due for another 6 month exam anyway, so I figured, "Well, it's finally the kidneys and it's time to start a fluids routine". Except it wasn't and her labs were really surprising decent -- except for her liver which is suddenly in bad shape. We have safe plants and such and, no, I do not believe she ate some random poison in our home environment. She was fine Thursday as ever, as a geriatric cat goes, until we restocked her Fancy Feast Thursday and she blew her first can Friday morning and went into the foaming heaves and refuses to eat and is hiding in a "I'm in pain, leave me alone hiding place." It is hard not to be suspicious that that restocked Fancy Feast was the variable that changed. I think this thread may on to something similar to the melamine fiasco of Purina's that killed so many dogs and it chills me.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have fed my cats Fancy Feast wet cat food for years and they stopped wanting to eat it. I thought it smelled strange. And then one suddenly died and the others acted like they didn't feel well. Stopped giving it to them. I am so worried and I will not give them any wet food of any kind. Only Rachael Ray dry food. I will file a claim. The loss of my little girl Sissy Poo was devastating like losing a child.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: April 5, 2019

Please read! Please do not give your kitty Fancy Feast food! My cat has eaten Fancy Feast dry and wet food for a long time. Last year he started throwing up increasingly (almost daily!) and I have taken him to 2 different veterinarians for help. The first vet did not have any answers as to why he was puking up food almost daily. The second vet was positive hairballs were the cause. I finally switched out his dry food from Fancy Feast (Chicken & Turkey and Filet Mignon & Seafood) to another brand. That next day, no puking. He has not puked for 6 days now and I know the dry food was the problem. All other items in his diet remained the same. I am not buying Fancy Feast or another else owned by Purina again. Please folks, do not feed this stuff to your cats!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have a 13 yr. old female cat who have been eating a variety of Fancy Feast cat food all of her life. In the last 4 to 5 months she has been throwing up. At first I thought it was just hairballs. I just took her to the vet this week and found her white blood count is down to 300. Normal range should be 1200-3000. She went from energetic to lethargic in two weeks time. She has lost 2.25 lbs since Dec.2018 which is a lot for a cat to lose in that short amount of time. The vet mentioned possible kidney failure. I have copied all of the reviews to bring to my vet. I only wish I read these reviews sooner. I trusted your cat food for over 20 yrs. as I had fed my previous babies the same food. I am so worried about my baby. I will be in contact with Purina. You should have made this public long ago.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My cats have been eating FF for over 13 years.. last year something changed (read article about chicken formula changed) but they don’t eat that flavor. The past few months found out my male cat has kidney disease and my female will only eat hard food. If either one did eat FF, they ran to the litter box immediately! I switched to Wellness no grain and also Nulo no grain, which they will eat if sprinkled with freeze dried salmon. I am so sorry pet parents have lost their treasured pets due to the greed of this company. I will NEVER buy a Purina (Mars?) product again. This Fancy Feast food is tainted with something awful and needs to be RECALLED!

Original review: March 24, 2019

I wish I had known about Fancy Feast cat food poisoning our cats. My baby Lulu is in very bad shape right now. She is 13 years old and had been eating Fancy Feast pate wet food most of her life. Within last year, she began throwing up more often, and lately, she wasn't finishing most of her food. Suddenly, she can hardly walk, won't eat, and is lethargic. She has been totally checked out and my vets cannot tell me what is wrong with her. After trying different meds, she is still just wasting away, barely able to walk. I am so saddened and depressed. They cannot tell me why this happening to her. I feel I will be losing my baby.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Have been feeding my 4 cats Fancy Feast for years and had no problem. Now when they eat the Chicken Florentine they throw up. And the same goes for some of the other flavors. Very concerned about this. I am throwing out the remainder of the cans.

Original review: March 18, 2019

In Feb 2019 my cat vomited after eating FF Chicken Florentine. Unusual for her to be sick. I threw that can away but had the same result with another can. Since then she will eat the gravy but often leaves the solid pieces. The contents of the cans appears darker, grayer than it used to be. Having read the experience of so many others, I will not feed her FF canned food again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Fancy Feast used to be one of the better foods as it has low carbohydrate and it helped me w/ feline diabetes. I became a detective reading labels due to FD. I was appalled by the changes to Fancy Feast's formula. The first was the addition of nitrates to their Salmon. Then they started using wheat gluten in place of meat. Nitrates in more flavors. I thought the only safe flavors left were Turkey and Giblets and Chicken and liver. My cat began to refuse to eat it. We did not suspect the food, until I read what others have experienced. We lost our beloved cat which nothing can ever replace. Purina should be ashamed going after a dollar instead of supplying food we can trust to give these members of our family.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My cats -8 have been eating classic beef and chicken and cheddar Fancy Feast. The last 5 months they won’t eat it. I’ve bought it at Petco, Amazon, Chewy and filed complaints but Purina has done nothing. The companies have all said no one has complained. It’s simply NOT true. And Purina has done absolutely NOTHING about it. I want to feed them healthier food and have been buying many others but they won’t eat it. I am at my wit's end. Can anyone recommend other foods their cats will eat?? I would appreciate any/all suggestions.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Hi, I am a caregiver for a 73 yr old man who is an owner of a 9 yr old Maine Coon female cat. Recently, she started turning her nose up to the Fancy Feast cat food, which she previously loved. Today she vomited and the cleaning lady said it did not look like a hairball - just the food she had just eaten. I said, “I bet it must be the cat food.” So I looked online and saw all these horrible reviews and now what I suspected to be the case MUST be true. This product MUST BE RECALLED. I am grateful ShopRite will allow an exchange for a different cat food. It needs to be pulled from the shelves ASAP! Thanks to all who took the time to post this!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have 2 cats 6 years and 5 years, they both have been on a non grain dry food and the wet cans of Fancy Feast for all of their lives. Recently they will not touch any of the Fancy Feast wet food. My youngest was throwing up quite often after he would eat a couple of bites. My oldest won't even try to eat it. She smells it and walks away. They always loved it before, so I don't know what happened. After reading these reviews, I am now convinced that it is the food that is bad. I am going to throw all of the remaining cans that I have out and start to feed them something else. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good wet canned food?

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have been feeding my (picky eaters) indoor rescue cats Fancy Feast cat food for the past 9 years. They have always been healthy active cats with no health problems. A couple weeks ago my local pet store pulled FF from their shelves and had signs up saying they would no longer be selling FF brand cat food. I asked the employee and they said something about preservatives making cats sick. I honestly didn’t think much of it. Like others on here giving 5 star reviews I trusted FF as I had been feeding it to my cats their entire lives. I went to a different store and got a box of FF.

Ever since then, I noticed the food bowls would often be full when I went to feed them and my cats were acting a bit strange, following us around and cuddling and whining a lot. Then I noticed some accidents around the house where someone wasn’t making it to the litter box in time to do their #2 business. I still didn’t put 2 and 2 together sadly. Then this past week one of my cats has been throwing up regularly, lethargic and having LOTS of #2 accidents and generally acting miserable. He’ll walk up to the food as if he’s hungry, sniff it, look sad and walk away and cry to me.

We went out and got several different brands of food and have offered them (my cats are EXTREMELY picky) but now they are just refusing to eat. I feel horrible that I did this to them and hope that I caught this in time to save their lives. I see some others on here have lost their beloved pets to this and my heart breaks for everyone affected. Please please everyone stop feeding your cats FF. If you haven’t noticed an issue yet you may have been lucky and just not purchased the affected cans yet. I was arrogant about this when I first heard this, thinking since I hadn’t noticed anything yet that everything must be fine. SOMETHING has been changed in FF recently. I do not understand how there has not been a recall. Criminal charges should be brought against this company.

Their products are not cheap, there is no reason why they should be passing off contaminated (or whatever it is that happened recently) food onto unsuspecting families. This is absolutely devastating, my cats are part of my family and trust me to take care of them. FF has betrayed my trust and loyalty and I have unknowingly been feeding my cats food that has made them extremely ill. I feel as though I have failed in my job as their pet parent. FF - shame shame shame on you! How could you take our money and do this!? I will NEVER purchase another Purina branded product in my life. And I will tell everyone I know about this. My husband ran to the pet store to get different food and the women in line in front of him had had the SAME EXACT ISSUE!! Save your cats while you can.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I thought my two babies were throwing up due to hairballs, but I changed to Friskies extra gravy and they don't throw up. My girls are 7 and 8 years old and ate Fancy Feast all their lives. I'm so glad that Fancy Feast increased their prices so I would look for something better! They are a lot healthier with this change, I wish I would of known years ago!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I started feeding this food to my 12 year old Maine Coon sometime in 2017 and she loved it. I noticed in the summer of 2018 she started losing a lot of weight and was beginning to vomit a lot. I tried switching her food but she would only eat the FF. By January of 2019, the vomiting became almost daily and would always start about 30 minutes after eating and she started to grow more and more lethargic.

Last week she threw up what smelled and looked like feces and she was looking so thin and sickly. I took her to the vet and she not only lost 10 lbs in the last year, but her liver and pancreas were beginning to fail. Her vet and I honestly did not think she would make it. She had to get IV fluids and injectable medications because she was so dehydrated and also extremely anemic. We began her on antibiotics and I started to feed her only baby food and mashed chicken and broth per vet instructions.

After a few days of antibiotics and pain medications, her appetite began to improve and she's perked up. We saw her vet this morning to redraw her labs and they are slowly improving although she's not out of the woods quite yet. Her vet told me she honestly didn't think she would survive and neither did I. I spoon feed her baby food mixed with a bone broth I made by cooking down a whole organic chicken. She's been able to gain a half lb and her anemia is beginning to resolve. I never put it together it may have been from the Fancy Feast patés I had been feeding her until a friend mentioned this to me today. I almost lost my cat and I feel so horrible. If I had not taken her to see her vet when I did, she would have died. I'm so relieved she's gotten better but I'm heartbroken so many cats have gotten so sick and some have died. I'll never feed my baby anything from Purina again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Michele of Landing, NJ ... I read your post. What kind of antibiotic was your cat on? My cat hasn't eaten in a week and is throwing up. I Googled the food he's eating and found this discussion. My cat is currently in the hospital on IV fluids and still not eating. He has fluid in his lungs and air in his intestines. His TP, Glob and Alt are all high. They will take another x-ray today. I want to post this to raise awareness that there is something going on with PURINA FANCY FEAST can cat food. Someone in work going through the same issue with her friend's cat. They changed the label from a darker pink to a lighter pink recently. THIS FOOD NEEDS TO BE RECALLED.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I started reading these reviews, I was stunned to see that everyone I read had or is having the same experiences that I am having. Mine started in October 2018. Rapid weight loss, turning away from eating the wet food, vomiting. I have been to the vets since Oct., having blood work, urine and fecal tests. Had x-rays and even a sonogram done, and they could not find anything. The one vet mentioned that some food is using more fillers and cats cannot digest thus making them sick. I have been in the process of trying to change gradually foods, but it’s heartbreaking. My little guy is literally wasting away. I hug him, cradle him and cry.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I'm sick & tired of Fancy Feast. I purchased a 24 count Box from Sam's and my cats are throwing up every day I feed it to them. I feel so sorry for them. When I feed them canned tuna or another brand, they are fine. But as soon as I try a different type of Fancy Feast, they get sick. I'll never purchase your product again. You can make all the excuses you like, but you are poisoning our cats. Your FANCY packaging is a FRONT. You should put cross-bones on the BOX.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

My cat is a diabetic and my vet said the only foods she could eat are Fancy Feast Classic and Friskies Pate. She has been vomiting and having diarrhea and also will walk away from the foods she has always loved! I took her to the vet to see if her diabetes was causing any of this and she was tested and her diabetes is completely under control so we figure it must be the food! Not good! I depend on these foods for her as the high cost of special foods and also the fact that I did try the specialty food and she hates it. Now what do I do?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I am distressed about this apparent issue with Fancy Feast canned wet food making cats sick. My poor baby! She has been eating FF all her life and is finicky. She has been vomiting approx 20 minutes after eating She used to love feeding time Twice a day. Now she has been turning the plate over in protest. I went to the store to buy her favorites and found they were pulled from the shelves (gravy ones). So I thought, "Ok so this food has been causing her being sick." I bought other kinds including Selects and Grilled. I just got home opened a can. She ate a bit and less than a half hour heard her pained meowing followed by vomiting yet AGAIN. WHATEVER IS HAPPENING GET ON THIS FAST. I hope all our kitties are ok and feel better soon. I have taken note of the other complaints and the dates are in line with my experiences and my sweet girls not feeling well. This cat is my family member. Make it right!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My cat has been eating Fancy Feast pretty much her whole life but lately has been getting sick after eating. I contacted Purina Australia and apparently they have had to source some products from France and coincidentally, these cans produced in France are the ones making my cat sick. I won't be buying Fancy Feast or any other Purina products again as I have lost all faith in them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I wrote to Purina about my cats getting sick and throwing up eating Fancy Feast. Their reply this was an uncommon occurrence... I see it's all lies after reading all the reviews. This is an American company that has their food processed in Thailand. Read reviews about pet food made in Thailand. The label says fit for human consumption and pets are dying! All companies seem to be going this route. And another thing... Don't buy pet food from Amazon... The food is counterfeit! I have had to return cases of food... Weruva and Fancy Feast. The last item I returned was Fancy Feast Fillets which is suppose to be 100% chicken, tuna and salmon. My cats threw up for two days and would not touch it... Yikes! Please read the labels and buy USA PRODUCTS. Other countries are not regulated with food products requirements as in the USA.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Vomiting and Ocean Whitefish and Tuna classic pate. I have been using Ocean Whitefish and Tuna classic pate for years. One of my cats has digestive issues and it's the only one that works. Now, some of the cans are browner and are making my cats sick. I have 3 cats that eat it and use 5 cans a day. I just called Purina and they said they haven't changed the formula. Any ideas? One of my cats won't eat anything else.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We adopted a 14-yr old cat who is extremely finicky. She will only eat Fancy Feast Pate. Since January 2019 she has been throwing up daily. I have found pieces of rubber and other unidentifiable things in it. This is not a cat who will just chew on anything. I’m convinced it’s in the food.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I've been feeding my cats Fancy Feast Classic Chicken pate for years. I've tried premium brands of cat food, but my cats won't touch it, so FF Classic Chicken has been a go-to. However, within the last 2 months or so, like others here, my cats haven't finished it, and the one cat who basically eats everything has vomited profusely within hours of eating it. She was so sick the last time that we thought we'd have to take her to the vet. I switched them to another food, and the vomiting stopped, almost immediately. Something has gone wrong with Fancy Feast.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast wet food for years and years. I have 5 cats now, so I decided to save a little money and start buying the 30-can pate (Beef & Poultry) and Seafood Feast. I have not tried the Seafood Feast, but my cats will suddenly not touch the Beef & Poultry except for one cat who will eat anything. That cat just vomited up her food a few minutes ago, and it was enough to get me to come out here and check some reviews. Amazing... so many people having similar issues recently.

I quickly changed out their wet food with a can of Science Diet I had. (No, I do not represent SD in any way -- the stuff is expensive). But my cats dove into it like they were starving and licked their bowls clean. (I also have them using the Sure-Feed feeders, so I know exactly what each of them eats, and how much). Something is up with FF for sure, and I'm going to pitch about $60 in food I just purchased.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My cats have eaten the FF Pate flavors for years but for the past couple of months they have not been finishing it when they normally clean the plates and they have been throwing up, sometime immediately after taking a few bites. I buy the 24 can box and yesterday got to the beef flavor and 2 of my cats backed away from their food and would not touch it. My latest rescue cat who eats everything took a couple of bites of his and then walked away, crying to me. I opened 3 more cans of this same flavor and they would walk up and smell it and walk away. It looked ok and did not smell spoiled but I knew something was wrong.

Later my cat that took a couple of bites started having bad diarrhea. I emailed Fancy Feast and took the couple of cans back to Publix and filled out a report and the manager said they would send it off to FF for testing. Now that I have read these reviews I think something has changed with the product or packaging that is causing health issues.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information