1.54/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

48 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have used Fancy Feast for over 20 years with many cats (fosters, rescues, and my own). The recipe has definitely changed over the past year or two. My own cats have become very choosy about eating it and I don’t blame them. Recently I have been finding hunks of raw liver in nearly every can, including the fish products. Look at the list of ingredients: liver will be right near the start. And it is not cooked, just chopped. So now what? Will the company even listen to us consumers? What can we do? One of my cats is throwing up nearly every meal now, she has lost a lot of weight. I’d like to know what to feed them all now. I feel like Fancy Feast is just out to save money, to hell with the quality.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Since our one year old cat was 10 weeks old we have been giving him this brand and this flavor cat food in small can. He loved it! Two cans a day. About a month ago he developed throwing up spells and a horrible sound from his chest. It sounds like the croupe on a baby when they have a cold. He didn’t want to anything. He is normally a very active cat. We’ve catified our home so he climbs and normally a very playful cat. The vet has no idea what it could be. All tests come back normal. I’ve tried switching food but he turns his nose at it.

So now all he eats is gravy and regular dry food. Today he coughed up part of the food and it had a piece of the chicken which was very rubbery. I’m not convinced this is real chicken. Back to vet to see if they suggest a different food! I’m so upset that our loving babies have to go thru all these issues due to company putting cheap whatever into their foods. I swear the ingredients are not the same!!! At 83 cents a can they should be ashamed of themselves.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've been feeding my girls Fancy Feast for years - like since I got them 6 years ago. Recently, both turned away from the food when I put it down. Puzzled, I lifted the can and sniffed. Oh. My. God. It's RANK! This happened with approximately half the cans I opened - half smelled fine, and the girls ate. So I've been smelling the can before I feed it to them, and am throwing away the bad smelling ones. Meanwhile, I ordered Science Diet to replace it. I called Petco.com and PetSmart on their helplines to let them know about the issue.

Fancy Feast corporate apparently doesn't care - at least that is the feeling I got when I called them directly. If enough people stop buying their product, I hope they'll fix the issue, because my girls loved it until now. I was shocked to read how many people have recently had the same issue; I'm so sorry for those whose cats DID eat it, and thus became ill. My vet recommended Royal Canin, but they seem to have only pate (they won't eat that) or big morsels (ditto). Good luck to everyone, but PLEASE stop feeding them FF until they return to their original recipe/vendor. I'm certain they changed vendors to lower cost, but it has roundly backfired.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My wife recently ordered the Grilled Fancy Feast from Chewy.com. Right away I noticed our cats not eating this as usual, in fact I have been scraping probably half of their food into the trash. We have 2 Bengals and a Tabby and have also been giving them some Salmon Treats so I thought maybe they were just being finicky because they will do that trying to get more Salmon out of me. But all three of them have also been throwing up more than normal since eating this food from Chewy.

Well I can't find more details right now but the three boxes from Chewy.com says it is a Product of France on the bottom of the box. I had noticed a difference in the food when I opened it including the smell. The meat, especially the beef, is much bigger pieces of meat and the sauce is a very watery looking. My wife just returned from buying a case of their food from Walmart where she normally buys it and it is what we normally get that says a Product of USA on the box. Pretty sure the problem here is this odd Product of France that is obviously prepared differently. She also called Chewy and they refunded her money. They said to donate the rest of food or discard it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have been feeding my eight cats Fancy Feast pate for years--I order it online in the 24- and 30- count cartons. They always loved it and have been in good health. For the past two weeks, several of my cats have vomited, frequently, directly after eating (the Ocean Fish variety). I don't know if this was a bad batch (Fancy Feast Pate/April 2018), was contaminated somehow, or was exposed to too much heat in a warehouse somewhere, but I would avoid this variety until the problem can be corrected. I am hoping there wasn't an ingredient/formula change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: May 17, 2018

So after too many incidents where my cats would vomit shortly after eating Fancy Feast - Cod, Sole, Shrimp Feast and Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast, I decided to experiment and sure enough it is automatic. There is something wicked in the ingredients and now after reading all of these negative reviews, I am convinced that it is the Fancy Feast Pate.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Fancy Feast since he was a kitten. He is almost a year old now. 4 cans a day. (Yes, he likes to eat lol.) He is very picky so he won't eat any of the seafood varieties. But he loves the creamy and gravy products. We've never had any issues and Fancy Feast was the only cat food he would eat. Two weeks ago, he started throwing up. At first we thought he was just sick. He is an indoor cat so he is not exposed to outside contaminants. Over the next three days, the vomiting increased. Within half an hour of eating, he threw it up. Liquid and food chunks. We thought maybe it was a bad batch of food so we threw it out and purchased more from a different store. Same thing happened. So, we bought Sheba pate. He didn't care for it (very picky) but he didn't throw it up.

So, for the last week, we have been feeding him real shredded chicken we cook. He has not thrown up since. The one time we added Fancy Feast back, he threw it up. Then we knew for sure. I contacted Fancy Feast and they admitted to changing the formula for Beef Feast in December but claimed none of the others were changed. I find this hard to believe. Then I saw all the other posts here describing the exact same issue and I knew it had to be the food. The varieties that he ate were: Beef Feast, Chicken and Cheese, Turkey and Cheese, Creamy Chicken, Most of the Gravy Lovers flavors (No seafood). I have contacted them again and I'm waiting for a response. This is completely unacceptable!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My Cat's favorite food was Fancy Feast Liver & Chicken Pate. A couple a weeks ago, he stopped eating it. I couldn't figure out why until I took a look at the ingredients. They have changed quite a bit, and they have also added fish to the new cans. I contacted the company to ask them if they had changed the recipe, (not mentioning that I already knew they had). They denied any change, until I sent them a photo of the 2 different labels! I've gone around to different stores in town to pick up any older cans I could find, until I can figure out what brand to change to.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My cats used to adore this food and I spent a couple hundred dollars a month buying this food for the 12 indoor and outdoor cats I take care of. I usually fed the pate varieties and on occasion, the gravy lovers variety. They now won't touch the pate except for a couple sniffs of the food, and then walk away. If you have changed the formula, it came at a very inopportune time as one of my cats had cancer, and the Fancy Feast Pates were the ONLY food she would eat. She suddenly refused this food, and she lost weight when every ounce was critical for her to maintain.

When the other cats turned their noses up at it as well, I knew something had to have changed. I found alternatives for the other cats, but not for my cat with cancer. She never really ate as heartily again as I would bring home dozens of different brands for her to try. You have lost the hundreds of dollars of business I used to give you as I have switched to Wellness Pate for now, which all the cats seem to enjoy. Sadly, my cat with cancer had to be put down. I know that is not your fault, but if you changed the formula during her illness, that is one thing I can't forgive you for, and I won't purchase Fancy Feast again. Sorry.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Yesterday morning, I fed my cat half a can of the Savory Salmon Classic Pate of which she ate most, leaving some chunks on the floor, which she wouldn't touch. Placed the can in a food storage bag in the fridge for feeding the remainder last night. Took it out of the fridge and put it on a plastic plate, but being so cold, I spread it out a little on the plate and placed it in the microwave for 5 seconds to see how much it would warm up. In one of the chunks of the pate, there was a bright flash at about 4 seconds and a piece of aluminum or some metal vaporized with a red flash. I immediately scrapped that off the plate and since still cold, added another 5 seconds with a lot of fat popping, but no more bright flashes. Food was warm and she ate most of it, but it concerns me to find metal pieces in the food! Would not have known it except for the microwave. Verified buyer: FAncy Feast Can mfg ID: NZ0800 738 847.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We feed almost exclusively Fancy Feast cans. Our two cats love Fancy Feast but more the varieties that have pieces in gravy, not so much the pate type. But even those they would at least eat a few bites. Their absolute favorite was always gravy lovers beef flavor. About 2 weeks ago for the first time when I served the food BOTH cats wrinkled their noses and walked away. I saw that the food looked different, and even to me it smelled different, more like blood sausage. The next meal I gave them a different flavor and they ate half. Since then every meal has been a struggle, to the point where I am wondering if there is something seriously wrong with the food. I called their customer service today asking about this but did not get any helpful information. The rep didn't know about a change. Today I bought a different brand and they devoured it. I would like to know if the food is tainted.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Every single time my cat eats Fancy Feast wet canned food, he vomits! Only this brand do we have this problem, Sheba does not give us this issue. Obviously it's making my cat ill, this is ridiculous and unacceptable!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for many years - both wet and dry. I have noticed that there is a lot more "gravy" in the cans now - which is clear and thick - it makes me think they use cornstarch etc. But now my cats are leaving the food behind - they used to eat it all. I am worried about the changes that have been made in the food. And now reading these reports makes me really wonder. I also buy from Amazon but cannot believe that this source is any different than any of the other distribution channels for these products. I am worried about the ingredients and now see all these other complaints. They need to do something about this.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've been buying Fancy Feast classic beef cat food for a couple of years for my 2 senior cats. They have had issues in the past year. One cat vomits often and we've had to put her on steroids; the other cat often refuses to eat the food and often acts lethargic. I refuse to give them this food any longer. I don't know what Purina is putting in this food, or where it's coming from, but how can they jeopardize the lives of these loving, living beings? This is deplorable and immoral and completely irresponsible.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My cats throw up Fancy Feast. Not always but often. We serve a variety, usually gravy styles and not the pate' style. I was interested to see the comments on adding water because it might be too rich, and that I should isolate certain types due to some unique feature in that recipe. I make chicken jerky, for the dog and sometimes a cat will develop a taste for that and it does not cause issue. So this mixture of vitamins and "meat" does, but perhaps it is the supplements or wheat? I really expect this to be handled, because thats why I spend the money instead of making my own cat food, even though it is cheaper it does have a time cost to me and the wife likes the cleanliness of the can system.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have been feeding our almost 3-year-old cat these products since she was old enough to come off of the kitten version with absolutely no problems. We order our food from an online retailer in 30 can cartons. Today is 3/23/2018. Yesterday we opened a new carton and gave her a can of the Beef Feast an absolute favorite of hers. She turned her nose up at it and refused to eat it. After 4 hours we gave her a can of the Turkey Feast from the same box and she gobbled it right down. This morning we tried a new can Beef again with the same result. Gave her a can of Chicken Feast and she ate it right away. I looked closely at the Beef Feast and here are some observations. 1. The Beef Feast was much darker in color, much coarser in texture and has an off odor. 2. I then looked at the carton and discovered that it was labeled Product of France.

I called Purina at their toll-free number on their website. The CR I talked to was quite concerned with my issue. He confirmed that Purina was importing this product from France inferring that the demand here had outstripped their production. I had also contacted the online supplier and they overnighted me a replacement carton. This had a different lot number but again labeled as French manufacture. Our cat has no issue with the Poultry (Chicken and Turkey). Therefore I would highly recommend you contact Purina and discuss your issue. I am going to purchase a few cans tomorrow and a local pet food store to see if the Beef in the can is made here and of milder odor and much finer texture than the French made product. Last point, our cat was eating the Fancy Feast chicken as I type this at 7:00 pm.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have bought Fancy Feast classic for my 2 7-year-old cats since they were kittens. They loved it. They have begun having issues with it now. On Sunday they both vomited multiple times, resulting in one of the cats having to be rushed to the animal ER. I kept it away from them until tonight, when I gave one of them Fancy Feast and the recovering one the food from the vet. The cat that ate the Fancy Feast immediately vomited. I don't know what has changed in the formulation, but I've noticed on various pages that many long-time Fancy Feast purchasers are having the same issues with their cats.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

My two cats have eaten Fancy Feast cat food for years. Suddenly they refuse to eat Tender Beef & Chicken Feast Classic and Chopped Grill Feast Classic, as well as all the other flavors that I have. Something changed during 2017 in the formulation of this cat food. The big problem I have is that they will starve themselves rather than eat any other brand of cat food. I sincerely hope that this food is not going to make my cats sick before this issue can be resolved.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Unfortunately, I gave my senior kitty several servings of Purely Natural Seabass & Shrimp to supplement his dry food diet. He loved it and gobbled it down. 2 hours after he ate it, he started the vomiting with that pink stuff in it. Vomited 5 times today before I read these reviews and decided it was time to go to the emergency vet. He’s so sick, he won’t come home for two days! The vet said he does have an acute infection that they’re going to treat with IV antibiotics. They will also give him anti nausea meds, meds for his colon, and lots of fluids.

Honestly I think if I hadn’t gotten him to the vet when I did, I would have lost him. This is not okay. I am extremely angry. Vet bills will be into the $1600’s. I don’t care about the money. I’d spare no expense to make sure he’s healthy. I’m just mad about why I had to spend it! All the rest of these cans of Fancy Feast are going back to the store tomorrow!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My cat was a picky eater so I changed to Fancy Feast tuna/salmon dry food and he ate it up like a vacuum cleaner. Suddenly he stopped eating it and so I took him to the vet. She said he was probably having furballs in the digested food vomit. She gave him a shot for nausea and a shot to drink water. I kept feeding this dry food to him and he stopped eating it again. He was now hiding behind furniture. I knew something was wrong so took him to the vet and his liver was enlarge. When he went in Oct to the vet everything was normal, then his liver went up to 800.

The vet said he would have to be put into the hospital to have feeding tubes etc costing approx $ 3,000 dollars. With him being a senior cat and another vet said that Fancy Feast was like giving your cat guts and plastic, I now have had to put my cat down just because of the food I fed him. I'm raging mad!!! AND will never buy Fancy Feast food again. I just wanted everyone to know if you feed this to your furry baby you will lose your cat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

In July, both of my cats began avoiding FF Gravy Lovers food. It was shipped via Amazon. When one began to eat it, she became lethargic and vomited. I threw out the remainder and decided to not have cat food shipped during summer months. Recently I purchased locally and this time, they both avoided food for 1.5 days, always putting out fresh food. When they both decided to eat it, severe diarrhea and gas within 8 hours. Next morning blood in the liquid emitted from their bodies. I won't be feeding them this food in the future and hope that they can recover.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My cat was a die hard fan of the Tuna, Prawn, Mackerel & Crab flavoured DRY FOOD, but ever since the change to original recipe she would rather go hungry and sleep outside in an ill equipped shed (she has sufficient body weight to keep her warm at least), as she becomes enraged every dinner time when she sees that they haven't bought the old recipe back - I'm inclined to trust her on this one as she has worked for John Edwards before. I would also like to have a word with the "Gourmet Chef" who specially curated the new WET FOOD menu as my Gravy Lover (TM) only ever seems to lick off the goop.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I like to give my cats a variety of foods, but, among all the foods I offer them, they love Fancy Feast broths. It's a very expensive packet of food... about $1.25/pouch, but, they love it. I have had many cats over the years and I can tell you they have always loved anything Fancy Feast, and they all lived long and healthy lives.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

If you love your cats, please, for the love of God, do NOT give them Fancy Feast. My mother refuses to feed her two 9-year-old cats anything except Fancy Feast canned and I believe they both have developed severe allergies. As I write this, BOTH of them are inpatient at a veterinary hospital in bad condition. They spent days throwing up, diarrhea, not eating, lethargic. She finally had to rush one then the other to the vet. We are waiting for the results of blood tests, but it does not look promising for either one of them. I have tried to get her to switch to better food for years, but she will not listen and her idiotic vet says, "Fancy Feast is fine." It will probably be their epitaph if something radical doesn't happen.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I started feeding my two cats half a can of the Fancy Feast soft loaf food every day. I bought a box of 30. 2 weeks in and my cat Tiger starts vomiting throughout the day for a couple days. On the third day she vomits 17 times from 11 pm-7 am. I rushed her to the animal emergency hospital and an xray revealed she had teeny tiny shards of bones lodged into her stomach and also found in her fecal examination. My other cat has been touchy and very cranky and won't let me pick her up with my hand underneath her belly. I'm scared she might have the same issue.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Every once in a while I change around cat food brands. Well, I usually get 9Lives as it's about the best deal that my cat likes. Well, Walmart was completely out of 9Lives so I thought I would try Fancy Feast... OMG!!! About 5 minutes after eating it it makes my cat throws up everywhere!!!?? And I have carpet??? And no this wasn't a one time thing. First time I gave it to her she ate some and I went out of the room and came back to see throw up on the floor. I think ok she's thrown up some hair balls again (there was two piles). I go to pick it up and notice it's not that tightly bond, weird looking thing that her hairballs usually are. It's mainly watery puke with pieces of food in it. I think kind of weird but pick it up.

My cat goes back for more about ten minutes later (she had only ate few bites before) she pukes again!!! Well that was two days ago and I had already decided to bring it back, well, with my busy schedule I forgot again??? So as an experiment I tried it one more time except I put about half a cup in the middle of the bowl with her other food which she's had NO trouble with last two days (9Lives that I bought somewhere else). AGAIN my cat starts throwing up!!! There is something wrong with this food! And this is a dry food the filet mignon flavor with real seafood and shrimp. I don't really mess with wet food for my dog or cat.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Several months ago my cat would throw up after eating or took a smell of the cat food and not eat it at all. Now, I'm buying Fancy Feast Medleys, Primavera Collection, 12 cans to a box. Three flavors, chicken, turkey and tuna. The White Meat Chicken is no longer WHITE MEAT. It looks like the TURKEY. I am going to stop buying Fancy Feast. It's too expensive too and I don't want my cat to get sick. What's going on with Fancy Feast?

Original review: July 30, 2017

I have been a Fancy Feast customer for over 15 years! Recently December 2016, my 10 yr old suddenly developed chin acne and severe itching and scratching. His eyes constantly running. Pawing at his eyes and mouth. The vet said he had a food allergy. I switched him to prescription science diet hypoallergenic z diet. He improved but I let my girls ages 6 and 9 remain on Fancy Feast because one has a problem drinking water and I wanted her to stay well hydrated. Now 7 months later I finally realize that the girls too have become allergic to the food. Why? Has the formula changed. I feed medley turkey. Going to now have to search for another food. This is really hard since I need a low carb no fish juice or product added. Fancy Feast was always a great product but something changes in December 2016!

Original review: July 7, 2017

Please cat owners, stop feeding your cat Fancy Feast. I have been feeding my cat this for 12 years. He wasn't eating, he vomited, he was gassing a lot and he yelped when I pet his tummy. Especially the wet food cans. I brought him in to the vet and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. Now I feed him Blue. He is getting better with no more symptoms. I also read a lot of reviews that are the same as mine. Please don't put your beloved cat through this. I am not affiliated with Blue product in any way. But I recommend this for your cat.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have 3 cats that have been eating Fancy Feast cat food for at least 15 years. They used to lick the dish clean, however lately they have gotten picky on the variety and within the last week have refused to eat it. One cat has gotten sick and was diagnosed with pancreatitis in April. It cost a couple of thousand dollars to get him back to normal, although he is now also diabetic. I never connected it with the food. Another cat will be going to the vet tomorrow with the same symptoms as the first. Lack of appetite, vomiting, and refusing to eat. Something either in the cat food formula or manufacturing process has changed. I spoke with a Purina rep and they are denying any change to the product. I then did research and found that other cat owners are having the same issues. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information