1.33/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need help choosing a cat food brand?

64 Fancy Feast Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My cat who has been eating Fancy Feast for years has become violently ill and has been at the vet for days. The vet cannot figure out what is wrong with her. When I looked online just now, I noticed that there has been a problem with multiple people and this food. SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG HERE. My cat is an indoor cat who is up to date on all vaccinations.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We have two cats who have only eaten Fancy Feast gourmet cat food for the past 9 years. They absolutely love this brand and seemed to snub all others. The last couple of weeks we have been feeding the cats Fancy Feast, they have been ill, and will no longer eat it. We called fancy feast as we thought they might have changed the formula or had a bad batch. They said no one else had complained and we could return the balance of tins for more if we like. When we returned cat food to Petbarn Ballarat and spoke to them about it, they said there had been no other complaints. We now have 80 tins of fancy feast cat food we will not be feeding to our cats. Very poor form fancy feast and also pet barn Ballarat.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have 2 cats and up until a week ago, my eldest one ate Fancy Feast just fine. Now she and her brother are both getting sick with vomiting and Diarrhea 15min - 2 hours within consuming it. She’s having diarrhea up to 2 times a day. They were taken to the vet to see about bacterial infections and got stool samples taken but came back clean. After seeing all these reviews, It seems as if Fancy Feast is the culprit.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Both of our cats became violently ill last week after eating Fancy Feast. Similar to other posts below, they started vomiting and had severe, bloody diarrhea after consuming food from our latest shipment from Amazon (arrived July 28th). One cat became ill before the other. She woke us up at midnight and continued to vomit and have bloody diarrhea throughout the night; we had three trips to the emergency vet with her over the course of 24 hours. They did x-rays, imaging, blood work, urinalysis -- all came back normal. She was in a free fall decline, ultimately excreting pure blood. When the other cat became symptomatic (also with vomiting and bloody diarrhea) minutes after we got back from the third emergency room visit, and it was clear that the food was the culprit. (Our cats are indoor kitties and are not exposed to other animals).

Both cats spent a day with our primary care vet (post emergency vet) receiving fluids and antibiotic injections. They are still finishing the course of oral antibiotics that we were sent home with. Their appetites and energy have steadily grown day-by-day, hopefully providing some comfort to those of you finding these posts as you experience a similar situation, as I did. The IV/subcutaneous fluids they received at the vet were critical to their well being (they are older cats), and I'm not sure the first kitty would have survived without them... So professional medical help was critical in our case.

I appreciate the others who took time to post their experience here. It helped confirm my suspicions that there is something terribly wrong with this batch of Fancy Feast. Our experience and our cats symptoms mirror exactly that of many of the posts below. Purina needs to recall this food before it kills any more pets. I will never feed our pets a Purina product again -- especially after reading the related posts on this website under the Purina brand. If you haven't checked those out, I'd highly recommend a read before you ever purchase their products again. Absolutely terrifying.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

What has happened to the Fancy Feast Purely fancy Feast Chicken in Broth? My two Siamese cats just love this stuff. They pace around at 4:30 p.m. every day asking for their Fancy Feast Purely Chicken. However, I recently opened a new box of the food and they refuse to eat it. This happened for two days so I decided to open a second box to see if there had been a bad batch. Still nothing. They pace around asking for food but sniff, then walk away from the already opened container that I've given them. Has there been a change in formula? Some bad ingredients? Please check out your Fancy Feast Purely Chicken.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I came on this site after an outside cat I give this food to refused to eat it. My less than 10 year old cat recently dies horribly. I am shocked that this company has not recalled their food. Then I started reading complaints from this year. I still have cans Walmart will not take back. I can throw them away but tomorrow I am going to call the company and submit the cans I still have. I confess that I gave the ones I had left over after my fur baby died to the strays outside my house. I am a Christian so even though no one from this company will do anything or be accountable God will open their eyes and show them the truth. Meanwhile vets need to contact this company asking them to check their formula. Far too many animals have died. Just checking cannot hurt. Please pray for me as this will be a challenging endeavor but I have to try to save other people from the tragedy and pain and financial hardship.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Ok, I have 4 boy cats and feed them 2 different dry foods but give them Sheba wet food but found they're not all happy with it every time. So a friend of mine gave me her passed kitty's 2 cans of Fancy Feast, which worked out really nicely because I noticed 2 of my kitty's really liked it. I decided to keep it on hand for the occasional treat dinner and my Russian Blue ate it for the 1st time yesterday and hasn't even gotten up to pee since then. I'm really worried he's going to die and I plan to dig that can out of the trash to make sure that this gets documented.

I'm trying to feed him milk and he took 2 licks. It's Sunday night and I don't know what else to do other than to try to get him to drink something to move it through him so he can come out of this. I'm returning the rest of the food to Walmart tomorrow!!! Thank you all for posting this as I wondered what I'd done to my poor cat. I hope he makes it through this. My husband has already teared up over his possible loss too.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My cats are 2 years old and they eat Science Diet dry food and Greenies treats. Both healthy foods. They also eat a small can of Fancy Feast every night. They actually share one. So not eating too much of it. They have always been healthy and have never had a problem until recently. And these are the only brands of food they eat. I should also mention I have had my cats since they were 8 weeks old.

My cat, Ziggy, suddenly refused to eat the Fancy Feast wet food anymore. He would sniff it and walk away. I just thought he was being picky. So I kept trying different flavors with him. He wouldn’t touch it. Meanwhile, my other cat, Leo, began throwing up within 30 minutes after eating his Fancy Feast wet food. At first I thought he was just sick. But then during the day he seemed fine and ate his dry Science Diet and treats with no problem. After about 6 days of Leo throwing up, I decided to google and see if any other people were having this problem with their cat and what could be causing it. I was shocked at what I found. There were hundreds of Reviews everywhere about how Fancy Feast have changed their recipe and cats are not only throwing it up but getting very sick and almost dying. Tons of Vet bills for their cats' illnesses.

Needless to say, we won’t be using this product anymore and I’ll try to find a much safer and healthier wet food for my cats to eat. It’s so scary to find out I have been poisoning my poor cats for months and didn’t even know it. I am so thankful they are ok and we switched to Blue Buffalo brand can food and no issues at all. They love it. I reached out to Fancy Feast (Purina) via email but got no reply back. I also let Chewy.com know since I buy all my food and supplies from them. They were very concerned as well and are going to investigate it too.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My husband, 2 cats, and I have been loyal, daily Fancy Feast users for the past 6 years (my husband used them regularly for 7 years prior to our living together). Our cats have recently been refusing to eat Fancy Feast or having frequent episodes of vomiting and diarrhea multiple times a day for the past week. We couldn’t figure out the culprit, initially. We decided to investigate further and immediately began seeing very recent posts describing very similar cat problems. I can’t believe they haven’t issued a recall. We will never buy them again. They’ve lost 4 loyal customers with our cat family. Protect your catbabies. Don’t buy Fancy Feast.

Original review: July 19, 2018

After testing her with various brands for a couple of days, blaming Halo, blaming Wellness, I noticed the culprit is Fancy Feast! She has diarrhea several times a day with any flavor of this brand. She has NEVER had this problem with any brand and is losing weight. Thankfully, she will be able to recover. Please recall all cans of Fancy Feast! They've also added fish to other flavors without disclosing it upfront.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I started researching if others were having problems with their cats and this food. Lo and behold I am finding others and very recently. We’ve been feeding our cats FF canned pate for years without noticeable issues. Last week my eldest (15) became very sick. Vomiting and diarrhea, lethargic, shallow breathing. My other cat vomited very soon after eating but only ate a little. She is not very fond of canned food and happy with Science Diet dry. I took her to the vets and I thought I was going to lose her on the ride. She was in stress, panting, etc. Blood work, anti nausea, force feeding, subcutaneous fluid therapy, etc. $225 later I brought home bag of fluid in case we had to continue fluid at home. All her levels are within normal for her age. And she’s been healthy and playful up until last week.

She is doing better BUT she is wary of canned food. We buy the boxes with three varieties and I threw away all the chicken. Tried the turkey, won’t touch it. The beef, finally gave in and ate a little. My vet is unaware of any recalls on the food but said it was possible this is the cause of her sudden illness. I happy to have found this website. I’m going to print these reviews and fax over to him. The food used to force feed her last week was Science Diet Urgent Care and we brought two cans home with us. She ate it and asked for more. It’s expensive of course but this is the route we are going to take to get her to eat. I hope enough people share their experiences and something is done to look into this. I’m going to write to the company. What are they doing differently? Has management changed? Is it coming from China or what?

Original review: July 16, 2018

Recently both of my cats fell violently ill, their only commonality being Fancy Feast wet food cans. X-rays, blood work, fecal exams all came back healthy. Both of my cats required fluids and nausea medication, one even needed antibiotics from an infection. Neither are carriers or infected with feline leukemia or feline aids. Waiting on one more fecal exam result and then I am calling Fancy Feast and demanding reimbursement for my $946 vet bills. My cats could have died!

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have recently been feeding my two very healthy cats Fancy Feast cat food. Within 30 minutes after feeding both of them, they both started vomiting violently. Then they both ended up with severe diarrhea. Needless to say I stopped the Fancy Feast and threw all of it away. Do not feed your cats this cat food. My cats have never had any illnesses and I thought they were going to die, they were so sick and lethargic. After this happened I started reading these reviews and I cannot believe that there are so many problems with this cat food and they are still allowed to sell it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have been having odd health issues in the last year for my 2 cats that are now 5 years old. I’ve had them since they were 8 & 10 weeks old. I have been feeding them the Fancy Feast Medleys for the last 5 years. In the past year one cat has had odd facial breakouts out of NOWHERE, vet really didn’t have a reason except it could be feline acne. She NEVER had a problem with this before and there were no changes to her when this started. My other cat began vomiting massively after eating. I thought maybe it was hairball related but there were never hairballs in it. I added a 3rd adult cat to my pet family in January. Her stomach has had bouts of blotting and she always seems uncomfortable.

All of these cats have been heavy eaters, wiping their bowls clean. In the past month they’ve started walking away from the food, leaving it completely or eating only part of the food. And when I go to throw it out it has the most HORRIBLE smell. It smells metallic and like a wet dog. They have all become super lethargic, and I have one who has lost significant weight and I am monitoring with the Vet’s care. Just today I started to think could there be something wrong with the food, I googled and am so grateful for all the reviews I found on Consumer Affairs. PLEASE to anyone feeding their cats this food... Fancy Feast Medleys Primavera, STOP!!! There is something horribly wrong. All I can say is I had 3 happy healthy cats I hope to get back. I hope this company is investigated and FAST!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

My cats have eaten Fancy Feast for years and now they are getting violently ill after eating it. At first I thought they were just finicky but something drastic has happened to the quality of this product. (Look at the ENDLESS bad reviews!) They need to stop production immediately and figure out the source of the sickness. The company needs to be honest with purchasers. Where does this product originate? Which supplier(s) are destroying the quality of this product? Who’s making our pets sick? I’m taking 72 cans back to Walmart tomorrow and getting the manager involved. My advice is don’t buy it until they can explain what has changed and take this terrible product off the market and give back the quality one.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My two cats have been eating FF mostly ocean whitefish & tuna feast pate for years but the most recent batch the more finicky of the 2 refuses to eat while the other ate voraciously, threw up violently more than I could imagine him being capable of, then felt poorly. Unbeknownst to me, his temp plummeted and heart rate slowed and I had to have him put to sleep this morning. I could not imagine what caused an EXTREMELY healthy and robust cat to get so sick so suddenly. After reading these reviews, I am wondering if it is some change in Fancy Feast. I am not sure, but my other cat now will not touch it. I am going to throw out my supply.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have used Fancy Feast for over 20 years with many cats (fosters, rescues, and my own). The recipe has definitely changed over the past year or two. My own cats have become very choosy about eating it and I don’t blame them. Recently I have been finding hunks of raw liver in nearly every can, including the fish products. Look at the list of ingredients: liver will be right near the start. And it is not cooked, just chopped. So now what? Will the company even listen to us consumers? What can we do? One of my cats is throwing up nearly every meal now, she has lost a lot of weight. I’d like to know what to feed them all now. I feel like Fancy Feast is just out to save money, to hell with the quality.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Since our one year old cat was 10 weeks old we have been giving him this brand and this flavor cat food in small can. He loved it! Two cans a day. About a month ago he developed throwing up spells and a horrible sound from his chest. It sounds like the croupe on a baby when they have a cold. He didn’t want to anything. He is normally a very active cat. We’ve catified our home so he climbs and normally a very playful cat. The vet has no idea what it could be. All tests come back normal. I’ve tried switching food but he turns his nose at it.

So now all he eats is gravy and regular dry food. Today he coughed up part of the food and it had a piece of the chicken which was very rubbery. I’m not convinced this is real chicken. Back to vet to see if they suggest a different food! I’m so upset that our loving babies have to go thru all these issues due to company putting cheap whatever into their foods. I swear the ingredients are not the same!!! At 83 cents a can they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I've been feeding my girls Fancy Feast for years - like since I got them 6 years ago. Recently, both turned away from the food when I put it down. Puzzled, I lifted the can and sniffed. Oh. My. God. It's RANK! This happened with approximately half the cans I opened - half smelled fine, and the girls ate. So I've been smelling the can before I feed it to them, and am throwing away the bad smelling ones. Meanwhile, I ordered Science Diet to replace it. I called Petco.com and PetSmart on their helplines to let them know about the issue.

Fancy Feast corporate apparently doesn't care - at least that is the feeling I got when I called them directly. If enough people stop buying their product, I hope they'll fix the issue, because my girls loved it until now. I was shocked to read how many people have recently had the same issue; I'm so sorry for those whose cats DID eat it, and thus became ill. My vet recommended Royal Canin, but they seem to have only pate (they won't eat that) or big morsels (ditto). Good luck to everyone, but PLEASE stop feeding them FF until they return to their original recipe/vendor. I'm certain they changed vendors to lower cost, but it has roundly backfired.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My wife recently ordered the Grilled Fancy Feast from Chewy.com. Right away I noticed our cats not eating this as usual, in fact I have been scraping probably half of their food into the trash. We have 2 Bengals and a Tabby and have also been giving them some Salmon Treats so I thought maybe they were just being finicky because they will do that trying to get more Salmon out of me. But all three of them have also been throwing up more than normal since eating this food from Chewy.

Well I can't find more details right now but the three boxes from Chewy.com says it is a Product of France on the bottom of the box. I had noticed a difference in the food when I opened it including the smell. The meat, especially the beef, is much bigger pieces of meat and the sauce is a very watery looking. My wife just returned from buying a case of their food from Walmart where she normally buys it and it is what we normally get that says a Product of USA on the box. Pretty sure the problem here is this odd Product of France that is obviously prepared differently. She also called Chewy and they refunded her money. They said to donate the rest of food or discard it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have been feeding my eight cats Fancy Feast pate for years--I order it online in the 24- and 30- count cartons. They always loved it and have been in good health. For the past two weeks, several of my cats have vomited, frequently, directly after eating (the Ocean Fish variety). I don't know if this was a bad batch (Fancy Feast Pate/April 2018), was contaminated somehow, or was exposed to too much heat in a warehouse somewhere, but I would avoid this variety until the problem can be corrected. I am hoping there wasn't an ingredient/formula change.

Original review: May 17, 2018

So after too many incidents where my cats would vomit shortly after eating Fancy Feast - Cod, Sole, Shrimp Feast and Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast, I decided to experiment and sure enough it is automatic. There is something wicked in the ingredients and now after reading all of these negative reviews, I am convinced that it is the Fancy Feast Pate.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been feeding my cat Fancy Feast since he was a kitten. He is almost a year old now. 4 cans a day. (Yes, he likes to eat lol.) He is very picky so he won't eat any of the seafood varieties. But he loves the creamy and gravy products. We've never had any issues and Fancy Feast was the only cat food he would eat. Two weeks ago, he started throwing up. At first we thought he was just sick. He is an indoor cat so he is not exposed to outside contaminants. Over the next three days, the vomiting increased. Within half an hour of eating, he threw it up. Liquid and food chunks. We thought maybe it was a bad batch of food so we threw it out and purchased more from a different store. Same thing happened. So, we bought Sheba pate. He didn't care for it (very picky) but he didn't throw it up.

So, for the last week, we have been feeding him real shredded chicken we cook. He has not thrown up since. The one time we added Fancy Feast back, he threw it up. Then we knew for sure. I contacted Fancy Feast and they admitted to changing the formula for Beef Feast in December but claimed none of the others were changed. I find this hard to believe. Then I saw all the other posts here describing the exact same issue and I knew it had to be the food. The varieties that he ate were: Beef Feast, Chicken and Cheese, Turkey and Cheese, Creamy Chicken, Most of the Gravy Lovers flavors (No seafood). I have contacted them again and I'm waiting for a response. This is completely unacceptable!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My Cat's favorite food was Fancy Feast Liver & Chicken Pate. A couple a weeks ago, he stopped eating it. I couldn't figure out why until I took a look at the ingredients. They have changed quite a bit, and they have also added fish to the new cans. I contacted the company to ask them if they had changed the recipe, (not mentioning that I already knew they had). They denied any change, until I sent them a photo of the 2 different labels! I've gone around to different stores in town to pick up any older cans I could find, until I can figure out what brand to change to.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My cats used to adore this food and I spent a couple hundred dollars a month buying this food for the 12 indoor and outdoor cats I take care of. I usually fed the pate varieties and on occasion, the gravy lovers variety. They now won't touch the pate except for a couple sniffs of the food, and then walk away. If you have changed the formula, it came at a very inopportune time as one of my cats had cancer, and the Fancy Feast Pates were the ONLY food she would eat. She suddenly refused this food, and she lost weight when every ounce was critical for her to maintain.

When the other cats turned their noses up at it as well, I knew something had to have changed. I found alternatives for the other cats, but not for my cat with cancer. She never really ate as heartily again as I would bring home dozens of different brands for her to try. You have lost the hundreds of dollars of business I used to give you as I have switched to Wellness Pate for now, which all the cats seem to enjoy. Sadly, my cat with cancer had to be put down. I know that is not your fault, but if you changed the formula during her illness, that is one thing I can't forgive you for, and I won't purchase Fancy Feast again. Sorry.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Yesterday morning, I fed my cat half a can of the Savory Salmon Classic Pate of which she ate most, leaving some chunks on the floor, which she wouldn't touch. Placed the can in a food storage bag in the fridge for feeding the remainder last night. Took it out of the fridge and put it on a plastic plate, but being so cold, I spread it out a little on the plate and placed it in the microwave for 5 seconds to see how much it would warm up. In one of the chunks of the pate, there was a bright flash at about 4 seconds and a piece of aluminum or some metal vaporized with a red flash. I immediately scrapped that off the plate and since still cold, added another 5 seconds with a lot of fat popping, but no more bright flashes. Food was warm and she ate most of it, but it concerns me to find metal pieces in the food! Would not have known it except for the microwave. Verified buyer: FAncy Feast Can mfg ID: NZ0800 738 847.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We feed almost exclusively Fancy Feast cans. Our two cats love Fancy Feast but more the varieties that have pieces in gravy, not so much the pate type. But even those they would at least eat a few bites. Their absolute favorite was always gravy lovers beef flavor. About 2 weeks ago for the first time when I served the food BOTH cats wrinkled their noses and walked away. I saw that the food looked different, and even to me it smelled different, more like blood sausage. The next meal I gave them a different flavor and they ate half. Since then every meal has been a struggle, to the point where I am wondering if there is something seriously wrong with the food. I called their customer service today asking about this but did not get any helpful information. The rep didn't know about a change. Today I bought a different brand and they devoured it. I would like to know if the food is tainted.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Every single time my cat eats Fancy Feast wet canned food, he vomits! Only this brand do we have this problem, Sheba does not give us this issue. Obviously it's making my cat ill, this is ridiculous and unacceptable!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for many years - both wet and dry. I have noticed that there is a lot more "gravy" in the cans now - which is clear and thick - it makes me think they use cornstarch etc. But now my cats are leaving the food behind - they used to eat it all. I am worried about the changes that have been made in the food. And now reading these reports makes me really wonder. I also buy from Amazon but cannot believe that this source is any different than any of the other distribution channels for these products. I am worried about the ingredients and now see all these other complaints. They need to do something about this.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've been buying Fancy Feast classic beef cat food for a couple of years for my 2 senior cats. They have had issues in the past year. One cat vomits often and we've had to put her on steroids; the other cat often refuses to eat the food and often acts lethargic. I refuse to give them this food any longer. I don't know what Purina is putting in this food, or where it's coming from, but how can they jeopardize the lives of these loving, living beings? This is deplorable and immoral and completely irresponsible.

Not sure about Fancy Feast?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Fancy Feast expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

• Best for: Picky cats, active kittens and cats that need good nutrition.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information

1982
    PO Box 1326
    Wilkes-Barre
    PA
    www.fancyfeast.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business