2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Fancy Feast Reviews

Original review: April 18, 2020

Started my cat on wet food after 6 month, the only thing she would eat was FF grilled salmon, tuna or turkey nothing else, after 7 years she will now eat other flavours as well. She now comfortably eats about 2.5 cans a day. In 2015 there was a bad batch (about 2 month) of grilled salmon, the cat wouldn't touch and just recently the January 2020 to February 2020 she vomits but then asks for another can straight away. Only vomits if she has more than 3 cans a day. A part from that shes a healthy 16 pounder with no medical problems ever. Sure FF isn't particularly healthy for a cat, but Italian food isn't particularly healthy for human and I'd rather have Italian than vegy/soya burgers and I'm not going to get my cat to ran a marathon. Let them be spoilt.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My cat, 11 been on Fancy Feast for 10 years no issues. I’m sorry to read of the experiences others are having on here. She’s always happy and playful after her fancy feast meal. I tried the pate for some variety - Ended up Exchanging it - getting older and loves the sauce. Does anyone know if this is available in larger cans? Not the pate variety. Seems like a lot of recycling material if we are trying to save the planet.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My cat is 4 years old and I’ve had her for about 2 years. I’ve tried every wet cat food I could find to settle on one they wouldn’t make her throw up after a few tries. I found F F Savory Centers and she loved it and didn’t throw up. I forgot where I bought it and went on a hunt in & near my town to find it again. Let me tell you most stores with pet food do not carry it. Finally found it at Walmart & PetSmart but not all those stores have it. I could have cases shipped to me but they are variety packs and my cat won’t eat beef so I buy individual cans. It’s been about 2 months now and she luvs it & hasn’t thrown up once! One downfall is she’s hungry more often. I think because it’s lighter than most cat foods.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I keep hearing all these bad things and reading bad reviews, but my ten cats ranging from 2 to 18 years have been eating FF Classic pate all their lives and they are thriving on it. If that ever changes I will let you all know.

Original review: July 15, 2019

When I read reviews on FF making cats sick a while back some mentioned that the cans had a round pull tab. I believe FF is manufactured in different facilities. I bought FF from a place here in Canada and noticed the pull tabs were round so I took them back. I only buy the square type pull tabs since I read the reviews. I haven't had a problem with cats throwing up or diarrhea.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: May 19, 2020

I came here to this website, as I have been researching any issues anyone has been experiencing with Fancy Feast. My big, beautiful, robust, healthy, indoor only cat died this week of acute kidney failure. Never a picky eater, he started throwing up his food before he was hospitalized with acute kidney failure. I've been feeding all my cats Fancy Feast Classic Pate variety for many years, all my cats loved it and would lick their plates clean.

Just recently (around Dec/Jan 2020) I decided to try the FF Medley's line (Primavera & Florentine). At first they all loved Medley, now they wont eat it. All my cats used to line up and love Fancy Feast Classic pate (all varieties). Now I'm throwing half of it away in the garbage because either they don't eat it or they lick it and then walk away. None of my other cats are throwing up, but they are not really eating the food. I'm getting rid of all of it and switching them to a different wet food. The fact that my seemingly healthy cat (never had any health issues) just died of Kidney failure after bouts of vomiting and my other cats are turning up their noses to the food leads me to believe there is SOMETHING WRONG with the food.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have been feeding my two cats Purina Fancy Feast Grilled Collection for over a year. The older one has always been finicky about this brand and will only eat the Seafood varieties. She won't even go near the Poultry & Beef. My other cat pretty much wolfs anything down, so he he gets stuck with strictly the Poultry & Beef varieties. In early March, he started to vomit every day. I was away on business and came home to severe sickness. I took him to the vet immediately and after $1,200+ worth of testing they ruled out an internal blockage, kidney issues, infection, etc. But he had lost 2 lbs and was running a fever. They were telling me I might need an ultrasound and to put him under but they couldn't be sure what the real cause was. I was distraught because there seem to be nothing I could do. Plus I didn't want to keep throwing thousands of dollars down the drain without something more concrete to go on.

These went on for more than a month with back and forth vet visits and different meds and more bills. A friend, who used to be a vet tech, asked if I had recently switched foods, which I hadn't, and her response was that I stop feeding the wet food for a while as a test. And then I did a Google search to see if others were experiencing anything and stumbled upon all these reviews of cats getting sick. The DAY I STOPPED FEEDING, he stopped vomiting and hasn't had an issue since! Now I wonder if my other cat knew all along that something was wrong because she wouldn't touch the stuff.

STAY AWAY. This is not safe for your babies. I won't even donate the leftover cans to a shelter or cat rescue because I know it's terrible. What a waste! I hope Purina does something about this and all the negative (and recent!) reviews. Product info: Poultry & Beef Grilled Collection is best before Nov. 2021 and has round pull tabs. The Seafood Grilled Collection is best before Dec. 2021 and also has round tabs.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Last night my nineteen year old cat started vomiting. She had one of the primavera blends. She used to love this food! This morning I noticed that the other cats would not touch the food either. She now has to go the vet as she is very, very ill. I truly hope I do not have to put her down.

Original review: April 11, 2020

My cats are also hooked on this cat food. As of Feb 2020 my cats are throwing it up. They have been on it all their lives because that is all they will eat. They also stopped finishing it. I wish I could find another cat food they would eat. I too have wasted money on many different healthy varieties and they won't eat it. They throw it up within 10 minutes but not every day. I am going to start noting the codes on the cans until I can get them on something else they will eat. Maybe it is a certain processing plant. Yes this stuff smells horrible.

Original review: March 29, 2020

About 4-5 months ago, I noticed all 3 of my cats aren't eating any of their favorite Fancy Feast canned flavors. So I bought more, different flavors thinking they were just getting picky. Then, I noticed a couple of my cats would go outside and vomit right after eating (at this point, they would just lick the gravy and not touch the chicken, seafood, or beef. Grilled Chicken and Cheddar in gravy was their FAVORITE, and now I'm stuck with 4 cases that I wouldn't even throw out for the strays and raccoons! I started smelling every can I opened, and it was AWFUL. SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!

I emailed Purina asking them if they have changed recipes or possibly the cans themselves (I've noticed some cans are gold instead of silver). And all numbers on the bottom of each can per case ended in 1157, 1159, mostly 1160, and now 1162. Purina ASSURED me that they have changed nothing and have no recalls, but reading so many similar reviews, it's obvious something is horribly wrong and Purina is covering it up, or just not caring to look into all of these complaints. So what did they send me? Coupons for more crappy cans!

I also notified Chewy.com, where I ordered my last 4 cases and alerted them to the fact this food is bad. The person I spoke to was reading these reviews while on the phone with me and called a manager over. They may have stopped selling it temporarily, but they were horrified to learn they may be sending contaminated food to their customers. Hopefully they have some power to get Purina to take this seriously before people start losing their pets and filing lawsuits. My cats won't eat anything else but Sheba, but that is SO expensive for so little amount per serving. So I don't know what to do now.

Fancy Feast author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Fancy Feast is a company that is committed to preparing gourmet cat food selections, and has been doing so for over 25 years. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, and they offer a wide array of product types and flavors. Their products will appeal to almost any feline; in fact, Fancy Feast understands that cats have very specific tastes and they endeavor to please even the pickiest cats while providing them with nutritious food. Fancy Feast is especially known for its high quality wet cat foods.

• High quality: All Fancy Feast products are made with high quality and natural ingredients.

• Wide variety: Fancy Feast offers both wet and dry foods, and over 80 varieties of wet food alone.

• Nutritional value: Fancy Feast products are fortified with vitamins to provide the feline pets of its customers with great nutrition.

• Competitive pricing: The company offers high quality products at prices comparable to other brands.

• High consumer ratings: Their products are consistently rated highly in comparison to other cat food brands.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Fancy Feast Company Information