2.72/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need help choosing a cat food brand?

32 Meow Mix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat seems to like Meow Mix. The price is good for the quality of the product and has less fillers. Her litter box doesn't fill up and fast as it did with other brands.

Original review: June 25, 2018

My cat Bigfoot ate this lousy food. I couldn't get the normal stuff I bought for his thyroid medication and got this instead. First day, acting off, 2nd day won't eat and vomited everywhere! 3rd day to the vet pancreatitis and more vomiting, wouldn't eat, had to syringe feed him, went to the vet 2 more times then because of the severe vomiting and not eating his liver failed and I had to put him to sleep! Didn't realize it was the food, my other cat Jay ate the disgusting vile food, next day he was vomiting and laying panting, howling in pain, off to the vet pancreatitis again! Luckily Jay only ate 1 cup and not 2 or he'd have died too!!! These pet food companies need to be responsible for the ingredients in the food, I'm positive Bigfoot died from that food and that it almost got Jay as well, avoid Meow Mix!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Since the 1970s Meow Mix has been the preferred food of my cats. It is higher priced at times, but I'd rather not deal with finicky attitudes. Often I mix Meow Mix with cheaper brands, and it is eaten first.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My cat loves her Meow Mix. She’s always ready for another bowl of her favorite stuff. Unlike other brands that I’ve tried that are either too hard for her teeth or too soft she don’t like the texture she always finishes her Meow Mix.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Cats maintain their weights on this. They seem to enjoy eating Meow Mix and they do not waste this food as they have with more expensive brands. We like that they have indoor and elderly formulas for the cats too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I’ve been using Meow Mix Original since the mid-seventies. I’ve had many cats live into their late twenties and two live past thirty. I started noticing a difference in the smell of the food in the early two thousands. I had several cats develop cancer and several more developed urinary tract infections and stones. I had to switch to special foods. When my last cat passed in two thousand fourteen, I didn’t think any more about cat food. But, in January this year, someone decided we needed four feral kittens. Without even thinking I had my husband buy Meow Mix Original. It had that funny smell. Kind of musty. He bought a bag from Sam’s Club that is formulated differently.

This bag didn’t stink. The cats seem to like it but they just don’t seem as healthy as my other cats did. It’s hard having to go to Sam’s every time we need cat food. I contacted Meow Mix on Twitter to find out if Purina had problems with their dry food. A different company responded that Meow Mix has never been affiliated with Purina! Now, I’m not sure who owns it now but I’m absolutely positive the Meow Mix I raised my fur babies on was made by Purina. If they’ll lie about that, what else are they lying about? And if they’re getting their meat from Thailand, how do I know it’s not cat/dog/goat or who knows what? How can I trust a company that has cheapened the product to the point of being poison? I’m even sure I shouldn’t feed this to the possum! I shouldn’t be scared to use a cat food I’ve been using for so long. I’m finding something else. ASAP.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My cat seems to enjoy the Meow Mix brand the best. There are a number of varieties. I've tried the indoor cat formula, as my cat is an indoor cat, but he prefers the tender centers best, for a combination of soft and hard foods.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My cat has been eating Meow Mix for many years now, he has had issues with vomiting in the past which I assumed was just a cat thing, but not long ago he started becoming lethargic, had bloody stools and stopped eating it. He ended up dying from cancer a couple weeks after the symptoms started. I really hope this brand isn't causing cancer or sickness in cats, but he was perfectly healthy before he started eating it.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I've been using Meow Mix Original for years as a meaty snack. It smells just like Cheez-its. Screw the cats. I'll just buy it for myself. You guys need to make a human-only variant for people to snack on because dude I crave it sometimes and so I sneak into a dark corner and almost break my teeth on the tiny meat, bone, and gristle pellets because I am a sad, strange little person.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I purchased the product (Meow Mix Irresistibles Soft) and fed to my cat for about a week before I noticed that in the middle and bottom of the container, the snacks were filled with mold. I did a little research and learned online that this particular issue has happened a lot with mold. I just want people to be aware. I did contact the company with the product's info so that they are also aware.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been feeding my pets Meow Mix since it was created. Recently I have had 8 cats and 1 possum die from this food. I also have 2 more cats that are deathly ill from eating this food. This is extremely stressful for our family. I rescued these furbabies from the shelter just to have them die from feeding them. I feel that you are not testing each batch to assure it is ok for consumption. If this were a food for human consumption, you would have many lawsuits on your desks.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We've been feeding Meow Mix to our cats for a few years now, but about 2 weeks ago one of them started vomiting blood, wouldn't eat, and had no stools. We took her to the vet, where they performed exploratory surgery and blood work which came up normal. She started to get better by herself after a few days of not eating wet food. Then our other cat started not to feel well. We threw all of it away and switched brands and they've been fine since. Just recently Meow Mix's manufacturer was found to have ** (euthanasia drug) in their canned dog food line gravy train. I am now wondering if the cat food had trace amounts as well. I am NEVER feeding meow mix again after my experience and hearing about the contamination! Luckily my cats are alive and well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I gave Meow Mix dry cat food a try and noticed my cat became lethargic, and had rectal bleeding after a few days... I stopped the food and returned him to another brand and it stopped. When I ran out of the other brand, I tried the Meow mix again and the problems started again. Do not know what is going on with the Meow Mix dry food, but, will not use it again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have purchased the variety pack of different Meow Mix Morsels before. After I had gotten two kittens and when they had reached the age of about 10 weeks I started mixing a little bit of Meow Mix Morsels in their diet. Within 2 days both kittens had become lethargic and sick. I immediately stopped feeding them the Meow Mix Morsels, called my vet and she guided me on what to do. I had just thought it was because they were kittens and perhaps this was not the best thing to give them.

Then my beautiful cat I loved so much, Hemi, after eating the Morsels with not wanting his dry food, spoiled, guy, my husband found him dead. He had been dead a short time. He was still warm. We were so sad. Then this week our cat Sammy big beautiful yellow and white, ate the Meow Mix Morsels. Thirty minutes later he began to go into respiratorial failure. I have it on video. I could not get him to vet as I cannot drive. My daughter called and told me to get milk down him and Benadryl. I did. Within 20 minutes he began coming around. There has to be something wrong with this food! Never, never, again will I feed it to my cat.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My three cats who passed of cancer one today of cancer of abdomen and one earlier this January of stomach made as well as one five years ago of lung cancer. All Ate Meow Mix Indoor Formula. I read about dry food having old grains on it and preservatives but Meow Mix defends their food when spoke in January. I need the truth as to if these dry foods cause cancer in cats as I am devastated at my loss and need the truth.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My senior cat has been eating Tender Centers dry cat food by Meow Mix for a few months. Recently it looked different when I bought it. He started vomiting and having diarrhea. I will never buy it again since there was no recall on it. That is Scary. Obviously it is not inspected. :'(

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

So, went to Big Lots last night and got cat food. Normally, this is where I always buy it from, it's actually a pretty good price for a name brand. However, when I opened the bag, it was full of mold and bugs I have never seen before... I will never get my babies food from there again????

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have fed Meow MIX to many cats along the way. They have always liked the taste and I have never had a problem with any of them. I once tried a supposedly healthier (and pricier brand) and had the worst luck with my cats getting sick on it. Went back to meow MIX and all was fine again.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Thanks to good ole Capitalism and greed the ridiculous has over taken sensibility and what is just plain right in our society. Meow Mix "SimpleServings" are now selling their prime "made in Thailand" cat food in 1.3 oz. servings which is one third normal serving size for the average adult cat. That's 1.3 oz. at .89 cents per serving. Which translates into $10.68 per pound. What does the advertising industry and the corporate world think of daily? Do they sit around and figure out how to screw the American public on everything that is sell-able? I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that. I for one am changing brands due to the greed and ridiculous pricing of these Meow Mix products. Be aware that the other way to raise pricing on any product is to slash the amount or portion per unit. Get up America and speak up. First cat food, next the Presidency of the United States, Oh wait that's happened already.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My 4 cats all love Meow Mix cat food. They eat it every day all year long without any issues due to allergies from the food so you should be in good hands by using the Meow Mix for your kitties so I recommend it for the price and how the cats love it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I have 2 cats, a 8 year old female and a 1 1/2 year old male. Both are fixed so I am careful what they eat so they don't get overweight. Meow Mix has not made them overweight. Both cats like Meow Mix the best of the dry cat foods I have tried.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I have tried numerous cat foods for my, with the Tender Centers!! It says it's 100% complete balance. And the size is good for an adult cat to chew. Hate the little pellets some cat foods give you.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I've purchased nothing but Meow Mix Tender Centers Chicken Flavor for my 3 cats for about a year now, it seemed like this was all they liked. But this has happened to me twice already where I've purchased a bag of this food and it's inconsistent. This last bag the cat food didn't look the same and it was a different color and smell. All 3 of my cats have been throwing up this food. I immediately took the opened bag back to the pet store and returned it for a better quality cat food. I won't be purchasing this brand again. I won't go through a 3rd bag of odd food that make my babies sick. I switched them over to a Grain-free nibble. They seem a lot happier and their poops don't stink horribly like they did with meow mix. As a consumer I am disappointed, why isn't the quality checked before it's bagged.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I starting buying this cat food because of the hairball control variety. It helps the amount of hairballs my cat has to deal with. Let's face it you would not like to have to go through that experience. My cat eats it up day and night. I have been using this brand for years. Hairball control cat food is becoming harder to find. I am so glad that Meow Mix has this along with the other variety of flavors. I tend to mix the flavors just to give my cat a change now again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

My senior cat has hyperthyroidism so to keep his weight on I started giving him wet in addition to dry food. He got tired of the frozen raw food so I tried Meow Mix in cups. He eats it but throws it up. He's bulimic and has always thrown up at least once a week but yesterday he threw up at least 6 times and not all of it was cat food, some was a clear liquid. He's on medication and at a healthy weight now so I guess I'll d/c the Meow Mix, just wondered if anyone else had this experience and found out why. He's indoor/outdoor, eats his hunting bounty and generally is not picky.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

On Nov.11, 2016 we purchased a 22# bag of Meow Mix dry cat food for our cats at the Target Store. Upon returning home and opening the bag we found the bag riddled with some type of insect webbing or something clinging to the cat food pieces. The only other thing it reminded me of was floor sweepings or perhaps some type of insulation??? Anyway this is present throughout the entire contents to some degree. I have contacted the FDA, no response from them yet. The bag has an expiration date of 11/02/17. I have never encountered this with this cat food before, but I have noticed that our cats sometimes throw up after eating this brand. I plan to contact the Meow Mix co. as well, or the distributor: Big Heart Pet Brands. This is unacceptable! There were no noticeable holes in the package and it was totally sealed.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Friend gave me the remaining cat food after her cat vomited after eating them. My cat ate three cans. Found vomit after the third one. Vomit consisted of only cat food. Cat is indoor outdoor so do not know if happened outside also. Lots should be recalled. 6026s7 2 23 02, 2 16:11,2 01:06, 2 22:58 are some of the lot numbers. Expiration dates:1/25/18, 1/26/18, 1/31/18. These are the lot numbers of remaining cans. Real Tuna and whole shrimp, Real chicken 8 beef and Real salmon and crab meat; all in sauces.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My cats seem to enjoy Meow Mix the most. They are both quite healthy and active. I have given them other more expensive brands and they turn their noses up at them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

We have purchased this brand of cat food over several years, and for several cats. None of our cats have ever refused or even seemed reluctant to eat this brand of cat food. There are several flavor varieties, and while some seem to be eaten more quickly, none have been rejected. It is also reasonably priced and carried at most supermarkets. All of that said, cats are quite the individuals, and your mileage may vary.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My cat seemed to really like Meow Mix; she ate it all right away and didn't usually leave any in her dish. I switched to another brand because it was cheaper, and she doesn't seem to like it as much as she liked the Meow Mix. Next bag I buy will be Meow Mix!

Not sure about Meow Mix?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Meow Mix expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.

• Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.

• Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.

• Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.

• Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.

• Best for: Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Meow Mix Company Information

2001
    400 Plaza Drive 1st Floor
    Secaucus
    NJ
    meowmix.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business