Meow Mix

Compare Cat Food

Research top Cat Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On Nov.11, 2016 we purchased a 22# bag of Meow Mix dry cat food for our cats at the Target Store. Upon returning home and opening the bag we found the bag riddled with some type of insect webbing or something clinging to the cat food pieces. The only other thing it reminded me of was floor sweepings or perhaps some type of insulation??? Anyway this is present throughout the entire contents to some degree. I have contacted the FDA, no response from them yet. The bag has an expiration date of 11/02/17. I have never encountered this with this cat food before, but I have noticed that our cats sometimes throw up after eating this brand. I plan to contact the Meow Mix co. as well, or the distributor: Big Heart Pet Brands. This is unacceptable! There were no noticeable holes in the package and it was totally sealed.

Friend gave me the remaining cat food after her cat vomited after eating them. My cat ate three cans. Found vomit after the third one. Vomit consisted of only cat food. Cat is indoor outdoor so do not know if happened outside also. Lots should be recalled. 6026s7 2 23 02, 2 16:11,2 01:06, 2 22:58 are some of the lot numbers. Expiration dates:1/25/18, 1/26/18, 1/31/18. These are the lot numbers of remaining cans. Real Tuna and whole shrimp, Real chicken 8 beef and Real salmon and crab meat; all in sauces.

My cats seem to enjoy Meow Mix the most. They are both quite healthy and active. I have given them other more expensive brands and they turn their noses up at them.

We have purchased this brand of cat food over several years, and for several cats. None of our cats have ever refused or even seemed reluctant to eat this brand of cat food. There are several flavor varieties, and while some seem to be eaten more quickly, none have been rejected. It is also reasonably priced and carried at most supermarkets. All of that said, cats are quite the individuals, and your mileage may vary.

My cat seemed to really like Meow Mix; she ate it all right away and didn't usually leave any in her dish. I switched to another brand because it was cheaper, and she doesn't seem to like it as much as she liked the Meow Mix. Next bag I buy will be Meow Mix!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

I have tried MOST of the other brands listed above. I normally use dry food. However, occasionally when I run out, I keep a few cans around. No matter what kind of food it is, for some reason my cat will ONLY eat Meow Mix DRY cat food. Otherwise, he is screaming at me that he is hungry.

The cat food is fine, it's the packaging. The dry food used to have a pull apart opening and it would go back together fairly easily. It started to rip and stayed open and now there's another opening that doesn't work very well either. They requested I sent the bad ones back, which I did, but the new one is no better.

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.
  • Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.
  • Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.
  • Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.
  • Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.
  • Best for Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

Compare Cat Food