2.52/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

23 Meow Mix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I purchased the product (Meow Mix Irresistibles Soft) and fed to my cat for about a week before I noticed that in the middle and bottom of the container, the snacks were filled with mold. I did a little research and learned online that this particular issue has happened a lot with mold. I just want people to be aware. I did contact the company with the product's info so that they are also aware.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have been feeding my pets Meow Mix since it was created. Recently I have had 8 cats and 1 possum die from this food. I also have 2 more cats that are deathly ill from eating this food. This is extremely stressful for our family. I rescued these furbabies from the shelter just to have them die from feeding them. I feel that you are not testing each batch to assure it is ok for consumption. If this were a food for human consumption, you would have many lawsuits on your desks.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We've been feeding Meow Mix to our cats for a few years now, but about 2 weeks ago one of them started vomiting blood, wouldn't eat, and had no stools. We took her to the vet, where they performed exploratory surgery and blood work which came up normal. She started to get better by herself after a few days of not eating wet food. Then our other cat started not to feel well. We threw all of it away and switched brands and they've been fine since. Just recently Meow Mix's manufacturer was found to have ** (euthanasia drug) in their canned dog food line gravy train. I am now wondering if the cat food had trace amounts as well. I am NEVER feeding meow mix again after my experience and hearing about the contamination! Luckily my cats are alive and well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I gave Meow Mix dry cat food a try and noticed my cat became lethargic, and had rectal bleeding after a few days... I stopped the food and returned him to another brand and it stopped. When I ran out of the other brand, I tried the Meow mix again and the problems started again. Do not know what is going on with the Meow Mix dry food, but, will not use it again.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have purchased the variety pack of different Meow Mix Morsels before. After I had gotten two kittens and when they had reached the age of about 10 weeks I started mixing a little bit of Meow Mix Morsels in their diet. Within 2 days both kittens had become lethargic and sick. I immediately stopped feeding them the Meow Mix Morsels, called my vet and she guided me on what to do. I had just thought it was because they were kittens and perhaps this was not the best thing to give them.

Then my beautiful cat I loved so much, Hemi, after eating the Morsels with not wanting his dry food, spoiled, guy, my husband found him dead. He had been dead a short time. He was still warm. We were so sad. Then this week our cat Sammy big beautiful yellow and white, ate the Meow Mix Morsels. Thirty minutes later he began to go into respiratorial failure. I have it on video. I could not get him to vet as I cannot drive. My daughter called and told me to get milk down him and Benadryl. I did. Within 20 minutes he began coming around. There has to be something wrong with this food! Never, never, again will I feed it to my cat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My three cats who passed of cancer one today of cancer of abdomen and one earlier this January of stomach made as well as one five years ago of lung cancer. All Ate Meow Mix Indoor Formula. I read about dry food having old grains on it and preservatives but Meow Mix defends their food when spoke in January. I need the truth as to if these dry foods cause cancer in cats as I am devastated at my loss and need the truth.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My senior cat has been eating Tender Centers dry cat food by Meow Mix for a few months. Recently it looked different when I bought it. He started vomiting and having diarrhea. I will never buy it again since there was no recall on it. That is Scary. Obviously it is not inspected. :'(

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

So, went to Big Lots last night and got cat food. Normally, this is where I always buy it from, it's actually a pretty good price for a name brand. However, when I opened the bag, it was full of mold and bugs I have never seen before... I will never get my babies food from there again????

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have fed Meow MIX to many cats along the way. They have always liked the taste and I have never had a problem with any of them. I once tried a supposedly healthier (and pricier brand) and had the worst luck with my cats getting sick on it. Went back to meow MIX and all was fine again.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Thanks to good ole Capitalism and greed the ridiculous has over taken sensibility and what is just plain right in our society. Meow Mix "SimpleServings" are now selling their prime "made in Thailand" cat food in 1.3 oz. servings which is one third normal serving size for the average adult cat. That's 1.3 oz. at .89 cents per serving. Which translates into $10.68 per pound. What does the advertising industry and the corporate world think of daily? Do they sit around and figure out how to screw the American public on everything that is sell-able? I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that. I for one am changing brands due to the greed and ridiculous pricing of these Meow Mix products. Be aware that the other way to raise pricing on any product is to slash the amount or portion per unit. Get up America and speak up. First cat food, next the Presidency of the United States, Oh wait that's happened already.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My 4 cats all love Meow Mix cat food. They eat it every day all year long without any issues due to allergies from the food so you should be in good hands by using the Meow Mix for your kitties so I recommend it for the price and how the cats love it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I have 2 cats, a 8 year old female and a 1 1/2 year old male. Both are fixed so I am careful what they eat so they don't get overweight. Meow Mix has not made them overweight. Both cats like Meow Mix the best of the dry cat foods I have tried.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I have tried numerous cat foods for my, with the Tender Centers!! It says it's 100% complete balance. And the size is good for an adult cat to chew. Hate the little pellets some cat foods give you.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I've purchased nothing but Meow Mix Tender Centers Chicken Flavor for my 3 cats for about a year now, it seemed like this was all they liked. But this has happened to me twice already where I've purchased a bag of this food and it's inconsistent. This last bag the cat food didn't look the same and it was a different color and smell. All 3 of my cats have been throwing up this food. I immediately took the opened bag back to the pet store and returned it for a better quality cat food. I won't be purchasing this brand again. I won't go through a 3rd bag of odd food that make my babies sick. I switched them over to a Grain-free nibble. They seem a lot happier and their poops don't stink horribly like they did with meow mix. As a consumer I am disappointed, why isn't the quality checked before it's bagged.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I starting buying this cat food because of the hairball control variety. It helps the amount of hairballs my cat has to deal with. Let's face it you would not like to have to go through that experience. My cat eats it up day and night. I have been using this brand for years. Hairball control cat food is becoming harder to find. I am so glad that Meow Mix has this along with the other variety of flavors. I tend to mix the flavors just to give my cat a change now again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

My senior cat has hyperthyroidism so to keep his weight on I started giving him wet in addition to dry food. He got tired of the frozen raw food so I tried Meow Mix in cups. He eats it but throws it up. He's bulimic and has always thrown up at least once a week but yesterday he threw up at least 6 times and not all of it was cat food, some was a clear liquid. He's on medication and at a healthy weight now so I guess I'll d/c the Meow Mix, just wondered if anyone else had this experience and found out why. He's indoor/outdoor, eats his hunting bounty and generally is not picky.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

On Nov.11, 2016 we purchased a 22# bag of Meow Mix dry cat food for our cats at the Target Store. Upon returning home and opening the bag we found the bag riddled with some type of insect webbing or something clinging to the cat food pieces. The only other thing it reminded me of was floor sweepings or perhaps some type of insulation??? Anyway this is present throughout the entire contents to some degree. I have contacted the FDA, no response from them yet. The bag has an expiration date of 11/02/17. I have never encountered this with this cat food before, but I have noticed that our cats sometimes throw up after eating this brand. I plan to contact the Meow Mix co. as well, or the distributor: Big Heart Pet Brands. This is unacceptable! There were no noticeable holes in the package and it was totally sealed.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Friend gave me the remaining cat food after her cat vomited after eating them. My cat ate three cans. Found vomit after the third one. Vomit consisted of only cat food. Cat is indoor outdoor so do not know if happened outside also. Lots should be recalled. 6026s7 2 23 02, 2 16:11,2 01:06, 2 22:58 are some of the lot numbers. Expiration dates:1/25/18, 1/26/18, 1/31/18. These are the lot numbers of remaining cans. Real Tuna and whole shrimp, Real chicken 8 beef and Real salmon and crab meat; all in sauces.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My cats seem to enjoy Meow Mix the most. They are both quite healthy and active. I have given them other more expensive brands and they turn their noses up at them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

We have purchased this brand of cat food over several years, and for several cats. None of our cats have ever refused or even seemed reluctant to eat this brand of cat food. There are several flavor varieties, and while some seem to be eaten more quickly, none have been rejected. It is also reasonably priced and carried at most supermarkets. All of that said, cats are quite the individuals, and your mileage may vary.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

My cat seemed to really like Meow Mix; she ate it all right away and didn't usually leave any in her dish. I switched to another brand because it was cheaper, and she doesn't seem to like it as much as she liked the Meow Mix. Next bag I buy will be Meow Mix!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have tried MOST of the other brands listed above. I normally use dry food. However, occasionally when I run out, I keep a few cans around. No matter what kind of food it is, for some reason my cat will ONLY eat Meow Mix DRY cat food. Otherwise, he is screaming at me that he is hungry.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

The cat food is fine, it's the packaging. The dry food used to have a pull apart opening and it would go back together fairly easily. It started to rip and stayed open and now there's another opening that doesn't work very well either. They requested I sent the bad ones back, which I did, but the new one is no better.

Meow Mix expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.

• Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.

• Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.

• Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.

• Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.

• Best for: Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Meow Mix Company Information