2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.28/5

Meow Mix Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have been feeding my cat Meow Mix all his life of nine years. Something didn't seem right when I opened the current bag of cat food. He started vomiting for two days and died. I wish I would have read the reviews on the internet and maybe would have stopped feeding this to him and switch to a different brand. I can't prove this is what happened but I also can't prove it didn't. He was a very active, healthy cat.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I have been buying this same brand for years now, my cat would only ever eat the Tender Favorites with REAL salmon & crab meat in sauce. I have always purchased in lots of 30 to 50 at a time, this last batch I have now opened 7 containers and have thrown out the remains of 7 containers after our cat has thrown up each time. When I took a good look at the container I noticed a sticker on the bottom saying Made in Thailand. I don't remember the previous containers having this sticker. Also the gravy is not the same anymore and the texture is completely different. I have 23 containers left which will be getting returned to the store. NO MORE MEOW MIX for my cat, she is too precious to us. This Company needs to do something about it.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have been feeding this brand (Meow Mix) to my cats for many years especially because they are so gosh darn picky. However, I recently noticed that my cats have been vomiting and having loose stool. They only eat dry food so I changed the brand of food to test out my theory and sure enough all 5 cats are no longer vomiting. I don’t know if Meow Mix changed their formula or something but I will no longer be buying their food for my babies anymore.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I feed my cats another brand, but my hubby bought Meow Mix this time. My cats have been throwing up, and I just left one at the vet with severe poisoning symptoms. The only thing they've had is Meow Mix. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

After many years of feeding Meow Mix to my now old Garfield cat, there must have been a formula change as both my young and old cat are now vomiting after eating. My dogs ate some as well and vomited. The appearance of the food has changed. It is now several different colors with light spots in the center. Why would they change such a great product?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I've bought my cat MEOW MIX for YEARS, UNTIL TODAY. I found in my pets food WORMS. Then I investigated the cat food that was still in the bag I didnt have room for in her SEALED TUPPERWARE container. I can't even tell you how disgusting it was inside as I had not see it when I opened it to pour into her container. I took back to the store I bought it from. Manger opened several more bags off the shelf all from different lits &THEY TOO WERE FULL OF WORMS. I called the meow mix company. Waste of time as they were oh so chalfant trying to insist it wasnt a problem on their end. B.S.!, I sad.

So they offered me free pet food coupons for meow mix, WHICH I WILL THROW IN MY TRASH SAME AS THEIR INFESTED DISGUSTING FOOD. They can't pass the buck off on the store when every bag we opened was contaminated as well. I took pics but can not find where I can add it. But it's on my FB page under LESLIE **. No wonder my cat had been vomiting for the last week when I bought the food. Their factory needs to be investigated for cleanliness because apparently the manufacture place is FILTHY.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My grandson is leaving for active duty tomorrow so I agreed to take in his 2 cats along with my own. Upon putting the food he brought me, Meow Mix Original, in the container, I found a clump of mold toward bottom of bag! I then went through what I had already put in and found small bits of the mold throughout! Needless to say I threw it out and will make sure he never buys that brand again!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

My cat was exclusively fed Meow Mix Original dry Cat food for 17 years (from age 1 to age 17). Yes she absolutely loved it and refused anything else. But now, at the age of 17, she was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and renal failure by her vet. Totally devastating - her health is very poor now and the vet bills are outrageous.. All due to her Hyperthyroidism (she must now take prescribed meds for the rest of her life). The exact cause of her Hyperthyroidism has not been found, but there have been numerous studies relating ‘diet’ as a possible cause to Hyperthyroidism. So I took her off her Meow Mix real quick. Owners beware.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have 3 cats and they were eating Purina. We began fostering a 4th so I thought to save money I’d buy Meow Mix. BIG MISTAKE. My cats started vomiting and they got diarrhea and bloody stool. One cat began losing over a pound a week. We took him to the vet, he needed an IV drip and nutrient dense food you feed with a syringe. Took him off Meow Mix and his stool started to harden. Gave him Meow Mix again and sure enough - bloody water all throughout the litter box. How can this company get away with poisoning cats!?

Original review: May 6, 2019

My two cats got violently sick and had bloody diarrhea when I picked this brand up for them. Made a guess it was the food and switched them back. Cats got better. Months went by with no problems and then my husband brought home a bag of the same stuff and I didn’t realize it until two days later when I was once again cleaning up bloody stools. Will NEVER feed this to my cats again! I don’t care what the company says, there is something really wrong with this product!

Not sure about Meow Mix?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Meow Mix expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.

• Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.

• Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.

• Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.

• Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.

• Best for: Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Meow Mix Company Information