2.55/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Meow Mix

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

38 Meow Mix Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2019

My two cats got violently sick and had bloody diarrhea when I picked this brand up for them. Made a guess it was the food and switched them back. Cats got better. Months went by with no problems and then my husband brought home a bag of the same stuff and I didn’t realize it until two days later when I was once again cleaning up bloody stools. Will NEVER feed this to my cats again! I don’t care what the company says, there is something really wrong with this product!

Original review: March 26, 2019

My Luna had 3 beautiful kittens. I kept them all. They were so beautifully unique. I would usually feed them Friskies but then switched to Meow Mix and 3 days later they were all dead. They had vomit and bloody stool the days before. I still cry for them. How could this happen?!! Questions/recommendations pls email me.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Been feeding Meow Mix Tender Cuts forever along with Friskies Temptations, no problems. Figured we'd switch things up a little, gave some Meow Mix Irresistibles as a treat along with Meow Mix Brushing Bits, he's been sitting around, barely moving since it appeared to start the very next day. Looked closer at the ingredients, OMG... Animal Digest, what the hell is that. Anyway, will monitor his manners for a day or so...

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I've been feeding Meow Mix Original to my adopted cat for six years now and he likes it a lot. When I adopted the cat I didn't know what food to give him that he was used to, so I had to go through many kinds of dry food to find out. Of the many brands that I bought he would only eat a little of it, and when finally I gave him Meow Mix Original I knew right away that this was what he was used to, because he started to eat a lot more of it than with the other brands.

This food seems to be very good for him, I can tell because he's a very active cat, often likes to play and run all over the house (for a cat who is around 12 years of age -- he has many white hairs already -- I think that's pretty good). And also, I think this is an important point to make here (eating this food keeps his weight down even though he eats of it as much as he wants, which is not a big quantity -- that's another sign that the food is nutritious and well balanced). I would certainly recommend this cat food.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Jasper is an emotional support animal for a 21-year-old veteran. He ate MEOW MIX and began urinating blood and stool was trapped in his stomach. Meow Mix said there was NOTHING wrong with him and their food is SAFE. MEOW MIX said their food was safe and found no correlation between his symptoms the dry food.

When I took him to the hospital he was SCREAMING and CRYING in pain. He had to be sedated before they could even examine him. The veteran has severe anxiety due to military trauma and Jasper was unable to help her for months. He lost a lot of hair, and went from 12lbs to 6lbs in roughly the span of 2 weeks. He was urinating dark blood and screaming while passing urine or having bowel movements. Jasper's vet bill was $615! And guess what!? He still wasn’t fully recovered after medication. The food is horrible! There are harmful chemicals. NEVER, EVER feed your cat Meow Mix or 9 LIVES. If you do your research you will read about hundreds of DEAD cats because of this food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I got my cat in 2016 as a kitten and started feeding him Purina Kitten. All was great. As he got older I switched to Meow Mix and he started vomiting all the time, which I have never had a cat before so I thought it was just normal hairballs. He also would develop scabs on his body which I thought was from dry skin and scratching at his skin. My vet told me it was because he needed fixed, I got him fixed and had switched his food to Purina at that time and he was fine. A month ago I switched back to Meow Mix and over the last month his body has become increasingly covered in red sores and scabs. He’s throwing up multiple times a day. Found out it’s the cat food, he’s allergic to the nasty stuff they put in it. This ** shouldn’t be fed to cats! So mad I even ever gave him this garbage!

Original review: June 23, 2018

My cat loves her Meow Mix. She’s always ready for another bowl of her favorite stuff. Unlike other brands that I’ve tried that are either too hard for her teeth or too soft she don’t like the texture she always finishes her Meow Mix.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat seems to like Meow Mix. The price is good for the quality of the product and has less fillers. Her litter box doesn't fill up and fast as it did with other brands.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Cats maintain their weights on this. They seem to enjoy eating Meow Mix and they do not waste this food as they have with more expensive brands. We like that they have indoor and elderly formulas for the cats too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My cat seems to enjoy the Meow Mix brand the best. There are a number of varieties. I've tried the indoor cat formula, as my cat is an indoor cat, but he prefers the tender centers best, for a combination of soft and hard foods.

Meow Mix expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.

• Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.

• Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.

• Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.

• Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.

• Best for: Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Meow Mix Company Information