2.40/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Meow Mix

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Meow Mix Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I've bought my cat MEOW MIX for YEARS, UNTIL TODAY. I found in my pets food WORMS. Then I investigated the cat food that was still in the bag I didnt have room for in her SEALED TUPPERWARE container. I can't even tell you how disgusting it was inside as I had not see it when I opened it to pour into her container. I took back to the store I bought it from. Manger opened several more bags off the shelf all from different lits &THEY TOO WERE FULL OF WORMS. I called the meow mix company. Waste of time as they were oh so chalfant trying to insist it wasnt a problem on their end. B.S.!, I sad.

So they offered me free pet food coupons for meow mix, WHICH I WILL THROW IN MY TRASH SAME AS THEIR INFESTED DISGUSTING FOOD. They can't pass the buck off on the store when every bag we opened was contaminated as well. I took pics but can not find where I can add it. But it's on my FB page under LESLIE **. No wonder my cat had been vomiting for the last week when I bought the food. Their factory needs to be investigated for cleanliness because apparently the manufacture place is FILTHY.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My grandson is leaving for active duty tomorrow so I agreed to take in his 2 cats along with my own. Upon putting the food he brought me, Meow Mix Original, in the container, I found a clump of mold toward bottom of bag! I then went through what I had already put in and found small bits of the mold throughout! Needless to say I threw it out and will make sure he never buys that brand again!

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

My cat was exclusively fed Meow Mix Original dry Cat food for 17 years (from age 1 to age 17). Yes she absolutely loved it and refused anything else. But now, at the age of 17, she was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and renal failure by her vet. Totally devastating - her health is very poor now and the vet bills are outrageous.. All due to her Hyperthyroidism (she must now take prescribed meds for the rest of her life). The exact cause of her Hyperthyroidism has not been found, but there have been numerous studies relating ‘diet’ as a possible cause to Hyperthyroidism. So I took her off her Meow Mix real quick. Owners beware.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have 3 cats and they were eating Purina. We began fostering a 4th so I thought to save money I’d buy Meow Mix. BIG MISTAKE. My cats started vomiting and they got diarrhea and bloody stool. One cat began losing over a pound a week. We took him to the vet, he needed an IV drip and nutrient dense food you feed with a syringe. Took him off Meow Mix and his stool started to harden. Gave him Meow Mix again and sure enough - bloody water all throughout the litter box. How can this company get away with poisoning cats!?

Original review: May 6, 2019

My two cats got violently sick and had bloody diarrhea when I picked this brand up for them. Made a guess it was the food and switched them back. Cats got better. Months went by with no problems and then my husband brought home a bag of the same stuff and I didn’t realize it until two days later when I was once again cleaning up bloody stools. Will NEVER feed this to my cats again! I don’t care what the company says, there is something really wrong with this product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meow Mix?

Original review: March 26, 2019

My Luna had 3 beautiful kittens. I kept them all. They were so beautifully unique. I would usually feed them Friskies but then switched to Meow Mix and 3 days later they were all dead. They had vomit and bloody stool the days before. I still cry for them. How could this happen?!! Questions/recommendations pls email me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Been feeding Meow Mix Tender Cuts forever along with Friskies Temptations, no problems. Figured we'd switch things up a little, gave some Meow Mix Irresistibles as a treat along with Meow Mix Brushing Bits, he's been sitting around, barely moving since it appeared to start the very next day. Looked closer at the ingredients, OMG... Animal Digest, what the hell is that. Anyway, will monitor his manners for a day or so...

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I've been feeding Meow Mix Original to my adopted cat for six years now and he likes it a lot. When I adopted the cat I didn't know what food to give him that he was used to, so I had to go through many kinds of dry food to find out. Of the many brands that I bought he would only eat a little of it, and when finally I gave him Meow Mix Original I knew right away that this was what he was used to, because he started to eat a lot more of it than with the other brands.

This food seems to be very good for him, I can tell because he's a very active cat, often likes to play and run all over the house (for a cat who is around 12 years of age -- he has many white hairs already -- I think that's pretty good). And also, I think this is an important point to make here (eating this food keeps his weight down even though he eats of it as much as he wants, which is not a big quantity -- that's another sign that the food is nutritious and well balanced). I would certainly recommend this cat food.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Jasper is an emotional support animal for a 21-year-old veteran. He ate MEOW MIX and began urinating blood and stool was trapped in his stomach. Meow Mix said there was NOTHING wrong with him and their food is SAFE. MEOW MIX said their food was safe and found no correlation between his symptoms the dry food.

When I took him to the hospital he was SCREAMING and CRYING in pain. He had to be sedated before they could even examine him. The veteran has severe anxiety due to military trauma and Jasper was unable to help her for months. He lost a lot of hair, and went from 12lbs to 6lbs in roughly the span of 2 weeks. He was urinating dark blood and screaming while passing urine or having bowel movements. Jasper's vet bill was $615! And guess what!? He still wasn’t fully recovered after medication. The food is horrible! There are harmful chemicals. NEVER, EVER feed your cat Meow Mix or 9 LIVES. If you do your research you will read about hundreds of DEAD cats because of this food.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I got my cat in 2016 as a kitten and started feeding him Purina Kitten. All was great. As he got older I switched to Meow Mix and he started vomiting all the time, which I have never had a cat before so I thought it was just normal hairballs. He also would develop scabs on his body which I thought was from dry skin and scratching at his skin. My vet told me it was because he needed fixed, I got him fixed and had switched his food to Purina at that time and he was fine. A month ago I switched back to Meow Mix and over the last month his body has become increasingly covered in red sores and scabs. He’s throwing up multiple times a day. Found out it’s the cat food, he’s allergic to the nasty stuff they put in it. This ** shouldn’t be fed to cats! So mad I even ever gave him this garbage!

Meow Mix expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Meow Mix brand has been providing cat food and treats for four decades. The company makes wet and dry cat food formulas as well as soft and crunchy treats. Meow Mix also makes a special cat food formula designed to deliver nutritionally balanced food to kittens.

• Protein-packed formulas: Meow Mix cat food formulas feature proteins like beef, poultry and seafood. Some formulas include more than one type of protein, such as beef and chicken or tuna and shrimp combinations.

• Souffles and pates: Meow Mix offers wet food formulas designed to resemble the souffles and pates people eat, featuring protein sources blended with gravy and topped with another protein. The whipped-texture selections are made with real egg.

• Multiple food formulas: This brand offers five types of wet cat food and six dry cat food selections.

• Specialty formulas: Meow Mix offers an Indoor Formula cat food to help keep indoor cats at a healthy weight, while its Hairball Control formula helps prevent the formation of hairballs.

• Nutrition and flavor: Each Meow Mix formula is designed to deliver wholesome nutrition combined with chicken, tuna, shrimp, beef, salmon and liver flavors cats like.

• Best for: Cats that need nutritious food, picky cats and cats that need to stay a healthy weight.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Meow Mix Company Information