2.7/5 (512 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Fancy Feast Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fancy Feast?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

My kitten enjoys the regular gravy lovers. I recently tried the petite splits and wow. He cannot get enough! It has rice and greens. Smells good too. My only concern is that I have not been able to find the Fancy Feast splits in my regular grocery, and now "Peter Parker" has gotten fancy (face palm).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Our boy Charlie turned 21 in October. As he's aged he's become very picky and has been at times, it's very difficult to keep weight on him. The vet suggested a high calorie prescription food but nothing we could do would make him eat it. Then my daughter reminded me of how much he LOVED Fancy Feast pate when he was young. In fact we'd only stopped using it because my daughter wanted to try him on a home made poultry and fish diet. He'd loved that for years but was no longer eating it! So we tried the Fancy Feast salmon pate and he ate the entire thing in one sitting! It's been about a year now and he is loving his Fancy Feast! In fact, we've found him sneaking off to eat his brothers food if it's not eaten right away. Thanks to Fancy Feast, and my daughter's great memory, our Charlie is still going strong.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I have been buying Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish Pate for all of my cats for over 15 years. A couple of months ago I started noticing it was hard to find any at my local grocery stores. I was able to find it online and ordered from as many places as I could, since it's all my cats will eat. I noticed that the texture and color had changed. Then my cats got severely ill (severe vomiting and diarrhea.) I tried giving them different food but they did not want it. I tried giving them Fancy Feast from a new batch (new sell by date) and they became ill again.

I called Purina to issue a complaint and they said the ingredients had not changed and offered me a coupon for other Fancy Feast products (just what I want). All of the cans I've bought with sell by dates of Aug. 2023, Sept. 2023 and Oct. 2023 have been bad. The food looks darker than normal and seems "mealy". After reading the alarming stories in these reviews and I am completely shocked that this food has not been recalled.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I have two cats, one just over ten years and the other just under five years old. They are indoor cats and do not encounter any other animals. They actually don't even encounter each other as they take turns having the run of the house. They have always been very healthy with no problems. I had been feeding them Fancy Feast for a number of years without problems. They have always been gluttonous in their appetites and suddenly they began rejecting this food, both at the exact same time. I stopped feeding it to them but they got violently ill.

Both cats have experienced extensive vomiting followed by diarrhea that I cannot stop and it has been well over a week now. They are taking ** and over-the-counter **. I don't know what was in that food but it had to be either infectious, a new allergen or a toxin like lead. Vet that has already charged me over $400 and wants to run thousands of dollars more in tests. You can't convince me that this does not have something to do with the breakdown in the supply chain. Something has either been substituted or quality control has gone by the wayside. I have contacted the company and they tried to give me coupons and wave me away and I told them to burn the coupons.

Don't accept that when they offer it. Open a case against them. Make them do it. Document as well as you can and save all vet bills. We really need to join up in a class action lawsuit against this company. We need to pool our information and resources and make them accountable. People have already begun to lose their loved fur babies to this complete lack of oversight on the part of Nestle Purina. Do not feed any Fancy Feast to your cats at this time. It is obviously too dangerous and it will end up costing you a lot. I will never again in this lifetime use anything produced by Nestle Purina. I am seeking a pro bono lab to do toxicology and microbial testing on the food I still have. We need to create a public online site to meet and discuss this. I hope my cat survive and I hope yours is do too.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I have tried many brands of canned cat food over the years, from boutique brands to discount store brand. Some of my cats would eat one kind of food while the rest would not. Finally found something they would all eat, Fancy Feast classics pate seafood variety pack and the Fancy Feast Grilled seafood variety pack. The cats have been eating this everyday for the past few years along with their daily bowls of dry food and are all healthy and doing well. They get no cat treats of any kind. They have never had any urinary, diarrhea, bowel or vomiting issues. They get great reports on their yearly Veterinary visits.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

We've been feeding our cats Fancy Feast wet food (pate/primavera/florentine) for some years, but recently something has changed. My 3 cats have started vomiting and having diarrhea. Our youngest cat started encountering respiratory distress, dry heaving, and should would no longer eat. Then she stopped drinking. Then my other cat has been vomiting, thinking it's because she's been overeating, but then she started having diarrhea. Our third cat start vomiting and now won't eat. We had to put our youngest down a week ago because the vet believed it's for the best. I was truly heartbroken. If I would have known that the food could have been the culprit then I would have stopped feeding them this crap a long time ago. I'm switching to a higher quality food brand. Thanks for not providing high quality food to a fur babies.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I have been feeding my 14 yr old cat Fancy Feast for years (along with Royal Canine kibble), but the last box of cans I opened up caused her to vomit. At first I didn't realize, so I kept feeding it to her, and she kept vomiting. Finally I clued in and took the Fancy Feast away and only fed her kibble, and within a day or 2, she stopped vomiting. I can't believe it was the Fancy Feast! The box I bought was the "Elegant Medleys Primavera Collection Wet Cat Food Variety Pack", and I bought it from Loblaws around mid-August 2021. The cans say they are best before May 2023. I hope this review, along with the many others I saw here, help others.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Last week my 12 year old cat became violently ill with projectile vomiting and severe diarrhea. I took him to the vet and stool, urine and blood samples led them to believe he had food poisoning. The ONLY food he eats is Fancy Feast pâté. He had several varieties, including fish and shrimp, beef, and chicken. It was the fish and shrimp that made him ill. He ended up on a round of antibiotics after several days at the vet and receiving fluids and anti nausea meds. I returned the batch that had made him sick and bought a new flavor and more recent batch. When I opened it it smelled bad. He also would not touch it. Switched to a new brand and he’s doing better.

I went to grab the other cans to return and several are swollen like they’re ready to pop. They were not even from the same store this time. I will never give my pet this food again. Over $1000+ in vet bills and pain for my cat who is still not himself. When I posted on Facebook, countless others also had cats get violently ill in the same time frame. Some died. I believe that they cut corners, possibly due to pandemic related complications. Our pets deserve better treatment. The company should be ashamed.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I'm so beyond pissed. We rescued a litter and had families for all 6 kittens. They were doing great until we bought 1 box of Fancy Feast kitten chicken and turkey. In 1-2 weeks we lost 3 to dehydration, diarrhea, and vomiting. They refused to eat after 2-3 days of having a couple days of it. This was devastating as one little boy was staying with us permanently. This is the 3rd summer in a row we fostered stray litters and previously only gave them Pro Plan kitten without any problems.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I am not sure what happened but I have spent over 1,000.00 at the vet. My cats have been eaten the Fish and Shrimp Fancy Feast for over a month. In the past two days 5 of my cats threw up violently and had massive diarrhea. It was horrible. I had them all checked by the vet and Thank God their blood work and stool came back fine. Is it possible a bad batch of this food was made??? Numbers on cans I get sets of 24 03331829L8259 2039 and the other one I threw it out since they started throwing up and having diarrhea.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have 4 cats. Two of them eat Fancy Feast Savory Centers (chicken, beef). Two of them eat Fancy Feast regular Pate' (no fish flavors). The Savory Ctr cats are absolutely perfect, no issues. The Pate' cats have suddenly developed jello like diarrhea. There's been no changes in their diet, there is nothing in my house that they could have gotten into (no plants, no human food, no cleaners, nothing - I've very particular about having a cat safe home). The ONLY thing different in their lives vs the other two is the Fancy Feast Pate' vs Savory Ctr's (which has been VERY difficult to acquire for the past 8 months, it's a hit and miss with a can here and there if I'm lucky - of course, Purina gives you some ** excuse why). So, it's impossible to have all 4 cats on the Savory Ctr's due to supply shortage.

There is something going on with the Pate' food (chicken, chicken feast, and beef feast) that has generated this jelly blob-like stool, parasites are negative and it has to be the Pate' that has changed. I am seriously disappointed in whatever Purina has done to change this food resulting in this diarrhea!!!! They are not vomiting, but what they are expelling from the other end has such a NASTY odor that it clears the room where their boxes are - they have NEVER had this kind of foul odor. I have 1.5 cases of this stuff now and it's getting trashed!!! Purina has gone in the crapper this past year and it's time to move on. AVOID FANCY FEAST - find another reputable food for your cat(s)!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have been fostering local kittens since April 2020. I buy a 24 pack case of Fancy Feast Pate Kitten every 2 days. EVERY kitten I've fostered has been mildly to severely ill. I attributed their poor health to being born outside, under houses, in barns or abandoned and unvaccinated. However, even after they had been properly cared for, they would end up sick again every 3-4 weeks. It's been a vicious cycle and they only seemed to be getting sicker every time. They throw up, had diarrhea, even blood in their stool, followed by upper respiratory infections and conjunctivitis. In the past few weeks, my 7 month old foster (Taki) lost 1.3 pounds and she was already struggling to keep weight on. I have always trusted Purina Fancy Feast as they have never had a recall "officially". I never even considered the food being the issue.

I thought I was going to lose my foster Taki a few days ago. She refused to eat (my other 5 fosters were barely eating too) so I whipped up some homemade cat food. I made sure to follow all the nutritional advice and my cats scarfed it down. I've never seen my cats devour their food. Even Taki (who refused to eat and was very lethargic and dehydrated) enhaled her food and was full of energy and playing with the other cats after. Taki's health (as well as the others) have dramatically improved in just a matter of days. There is definitely something wrong with Purina's Fancy Feast Pate Kitten food. It needs to be investigated immediately. I will be first in line for a class action lawsuit! I have poured so much money into this food and vet bills trying to save these fur babies, while this whole entire time the FOOD was the problem. I am frustrated, angry, disappointed and disgusted with Purina! DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

My healthy 11yr old cat was changed from Science Dry food to Fancy Feast wet food. He loved it and all was well. We started with chicken pate and moved on to beef/liver. He started leaving food on his plate. Within one month he stopped eating and drinking. Took him to emergency where he was diagnosed with fluid around heart and lungs. The prognosis was dire and we had him put down. Fancy Feast cat food killed my never sick healthy indoor cat - practically over night. We are devastated.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

All 4 of our cats have been weird since Xmas day. We had received a new 24 can vase of FF from Amazon, FF seafood pate. We usually order the beef pate or the seafood pate. One of our cats is severely ill. Vomit, diarrhea, lethargic, fever. He is on 4 medications now. Another cat is not eating at all and lethargic as well. Our 2 other cats are also turning their nose at the seafood batch received. All the cats have eaten it and all all have either had diarrhea or vomit since Christmas. Anyone else having issues. Fancy is no longer welcome in our home. The vet said this is for sure something they ate.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I have fed my cats Fancy feast off and on for 5+yrs now. Every now and then, I get a case or batch that seems to make them very ill. This summer all 3 of my cats became violently ill. Puking, diarrhea, lethargy, all the bad stuff. I came home one evening to a litter box full of blood/mucus and 2 of my cats seemed sick, but still ate/drank. My 5yr old, the eldest, I found laying in my basement unable to stand or move in a pile of vomit. $2,500 in vet bills and a 5 night stay at the vet she's back home. I vowed not to buy this brand again.

However, another rush of panic buying meant fancy feast was all that was left in flavours my cats ate. The last 4 days, I've been cleaning up vomit. I wasn't positive it was the food at first, until I opened a can and my youngest gobbled it down, started heaving, and proceeded to vomit it all back up into the bowl. The middle cat ran to my bedroom and threw it up, the eldest wouldn't touch it. I wish I could include a photo, but I will give detailed information of the batch code/box/flavour instead. It was a case of Medleys, Florentine collection. Wild salmon florentine was the one immediately puked back up within seconds. Best before date Aug 2022, 02428331 11:17 L020272.

I will never, ever buy again!! Especially after reading the horror stories similar to mine. My cats kidneys were so far gone by the 3rd day that her crea level was in the 980s. The vet was floored. He said he had never seen a cat as young as she was with kidney levels resembling late stage kidney failure. He thought she was poisoned. My youngest had seizures.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I've been feeding all my cats Fancy Feast wet food ever since I found the product many years ago. Last year I joined Chewy and because they offer lower prices, I started feeding them a more expensive brand of wet cat food called Sheba. Well my order for Sheba was late this month, so I bought a couple of Fancy Feast cans to hold them over until my shipment of Sheba came in from Chewy.

Salmon and Shrimp Feast Classic Pate is their favorite. I gave them a can of that on Monday and within minutes after eating, they both started throwing up VIOLENTLY at least 5-7 times! Tuesday I gave a different flavor and they seemed fine. Wednesday I gave them the Salmon and Shrimp Feast Classic Pate again and they couldn't even finish it because they started throwing VIOLENTLY again - multiple times! It's so distressing to see that. Something is wrong this food!!!! I hope Purina company please looks into this before more cats get hurt. Until now, my cats were healthy and were not throwing up at all.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have been reading so many negative reviews in Fancy Feast Pate cat food and am wondering how has this cat food not been recalled or had a lawsuit? I currently have a cat in the emergency vet on IV fluid who won’t eat or drink after out of the blue severe vomiting and diarrhea! She immediately threw up her fancy feast shrimp and cod Pate (and has been eating it for a while with no issues) but all of a sudden had this horrible reaction! And now I am not sure of her fate, it’s that bad!

My other cat ate the same food this afternoon and immediately they it up and she does not throw up. I don’t know what has changed in the Pate ingredients but it seems a lot of the reviews on here my two cats have had similar immediate reaction after eating the Pate. One of my cats is in very bad shape after being so sick for four days and now not eating or drinking on her own and at the emergency vet. I Will be pursuing this.. Did fancy feast pates poison our cats?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

My older cat has been eating the Florentine type for the last 9 years and recently he has been have some issues. The food seems to turn a pink color, have they changed anything within the last few months. Has anyone else noticed this?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

We have 2 indoor cats, dry food only. February 2020 my older one stopped eating. Of course she lost weight. She was 14 and I thought maybe she just couldn't chew/swallow dry food anymore. So I bought a couple of cans of Fancy Feast Beef Pate. She liked it and did perk up some. So I bought a whole case from Amazon. That's a lot of money for someone on disability.

Over the next few weeks she ate less and less until she was down to about 2 tablespoons a day. She was still drinking water and using the litter box. She needed a stool to jump in my lap. But she was still my loving kitty. One night mid-March, about a month after starting Fancy Feast, she started lurching a few steps forward and falling down. She seemed really weak. I knew this day was coming and spent the next 12 hours moving her food bowl to where ever she was, giving her water with a dropper and making sure she knew how much I loved her. I fell asleep. Woke up 2 hours later and she was dead. I thought I would die but I knew she was old. I had a younger cat to take care of. So I kept going. BTW the younger cat flat out refused to eat the Fancy Feast wet food from the start.

I mourned the loss of my older cat and focused all my love and attention on my younger cat and little dog. But the cat still refused to touch the Fancy Feast wet food. I stopped opening and wasting it. My son and ex-husband live in a different town from me. They always have a houseful of cats. But my son has a cat that he loves more than anything. She was born in 2004 so she was 16 years old. I sent all the unopened cans of Fancy Feast wet food to their house for his kitty. My ex has a favorite cat also. He can't afford wet food for all those kitties. But those 2 favorites were given the wet food starting a few weeks ago. The 16 year old died Tuesday. We all chalked it up to old age. We all loved her and are sick with grief. 5 days later the other cat that ate the Fancy Feast wet food was found dead. She was young and healthy.

That's too much of a coincidence for me. Approximately 10 cat's live in these 2 different households. Only 3 of them ate from the same case of Fancy Feast Beef Pate wet food and all 3 of them died within weeks of being switched to that food. All of the 6 or 7 other cats, in both houses that didn't eat Fancy Feast are perfectly fine. Somebody needs to do something.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I feed the same 5 flavors tins that my 2 cats like. I purchase by the carton. But too often I find that one or both cats refuse to touch the food or if they eat some, a cat sometimes vomits her food. I am starting to believe that the contents are not consistent (substituting ingredients) so the taste varies and sometimes it is tainted, but not enough for a recall. Maybe the company is not even aware they are putting out inferior/tainted quality at the factory, or they are but get away with it??

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I took 3 feral kittens in when they were left with nowhere to go and winter was right around the corner. They did best with wet food and snack on dry food. You would think that feral kittens would eat anything but that was far from the truth. Over time I found if I shook the can and could hear the liquid sloshing around. Fancy Feast won out each time. Turkey does not seem to be a favorite but as long as it is fancy feast they will eat it. The flavors have changed over the years and now the Florentine, Tuscany and Primavera (all with greens) are their favorites.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Fancy Feast has a plethora of choices for the finicky cat. Turkey, chicken, beef, organ meat, tuna, mackerel, salmon, scallops, shrimp, sea bass, sole, trout, and whitefish. They all come in a variety of textures including pate', chunky, flaked, minced, shredded, grilled, seared, and roasted. The sauces are in gravy, with milk, garden greens, savory sauces, gravy lovers, creamy delights, natural gravies, and savory centers. There are treats, appetizers, broths, duos, medleys, and that is just the wet food. There is just as much variety in their dry food such as filet mignon & shrimp, turkey & chicken, ocean fish and salmon. The choices are endless as are the sizes from one can to a case. The ingredients are from only the best cuts and fine meats, the sauces delicately blended by a gourmet chef. Your cat will never find boredom in all the choices.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My cats are extremely picky. (As most cats are) I have tried a wide variety of different foods. They will only eat Fancy Feast. They will literally turn their little noses up at all other canned food brands. I have tried to sneak in cheaper one like Friskies but they are too smart to fall for it. I like how I am able to split a can of Fancy Feast between the two of them and it’s the perfect amount. I have found all other canned cat foods portions are too much even when splitting between cats. The fancy Feast canned food is the perfect size and taste for my fur babies.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I appreciate the large variety of flavors. Don't much like that the cans are very small but the price is pretty large. My cat is a bit of a picky eater, but likes a lot of the Fancy Feast fish flavors.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Food is presentable with ingredients identifiable. Aroma is not offensive. Consumer appears to enjoy as opposed to some other brands tried in home. Very few incidents of hair balls and no incidents of projectile vomiting as previously occurring. Enough of a selection of varieties for any Fancy Feast fussy pants. Lets me live with a happy furry child.

Original review: July 16, 2020

My cat loves the Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals pate. I love that there are no artificial colors in it. She did love the Medleys, but I found out they had artificial colors. I wish that fancy feast would get rid of the artificial colors because the colors aren't fooling anyone.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My cats will not eat all Fancy Feast can food but he definitely loves the morsels!!! I have tried several types and I think what he likes about the morsels is it has more gravy. I think they should have more flavors offered in morsels also.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I fed my Egyptian manx cat Fancy Feast for his entire 17 years of living - I never had a single health issue with him. I was faithful to the brand and also ALWAYS GAVE HIM BOTTLED WATER- NEVER TAP WATER. I never had a single health problem with him. I just had to make the hardest decision ever one week ago and put him down. But he lived 17 happyyyyy spoiled fancy feast years with me. I'll miss purchasing the cans of food every 3 days - but I'll refer every chance I get.

Original review: July 14, 2020

My cats love Fancy Feast! If I put 2 different brands in front of them, they always go for the Fancy Feast! I don't care if it's a premium brand or a cheap brand. They always pick the Fancy Feast. And the cans are the perfect size.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I have two cats with different food preferences. In addition to a high quality dry cat food they get two of the Fancy Feast cans each morning. I have tried better quality canned food but they don't eat as much of the good stuff. Like people, they go for the less healthy stuff. I have followed this regimen for the last 15 years. My cats (both rescues) routinely see the vet for health maintenance and their health is very good.

Fancy Feast Company Information