Purina Pro Plan Cat Food

Compare Cat Food

Research top Cat Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I haven't had any problems with their food, in fact when I first brought my cats into the vets when they were neutered and got their shots at 5-6 months he asked what I was feeding them and I said Friskies and Purina, he said "good"...but reading these comments I am worried. The oldest cat Petey 2 1/2 years old is very picky and will maybe vomit once every 2-3 weeks, but it is usually after he eats too much. He is nicely trim, not fat or even a little chubby, they are both indoor cats and rescued from the streets as tiny kittens. The youngest Leo 1 1/2 years old loves the dry food and honestly isn't as picky as Petey, and never vomits.

I have tried other brands like Iam's but my cats wouldn't eat it. I do mix up the dry food, I buy the 3.5oz bags of Friskies or Purina and mix different bags of flavours into a large plastic container and then mix it, so the cats are always getting a variety of flavours each time they eat. I work all day and with no one home I always have their dry food bowl filled and is usually needing more every 2 days, so they aren't over eating. I give them a spoonful of can Friskies every morning and every evening, they do not like the Purina can... they don't like most other can foods either like Sheba or Fancy Feast. Any info on the best foods that aren't so expensive would be helpful.

I started feeding my 13+ (strictly indoor all his life) cat Purina Pro Plan Urinary tract formula (morning) and metabolism formula (afternoon) canned food about a month ago. The first week he was fine. The second week he started having a little diarrhea and then he started projectile vomiting a greenish-yellow bile for 3 days in a row until I finally took him to the vet. $180 later my vet told me that my cat had unusually high amount of Spirochetes in his gut. Prior to feeding him Purina I had always feed him Iams indoor hard cat food but he lost his front teeth and couldn't digest the food as well anymore. After reading all the other reviews I am totally confident that the Purina is the culprit. All cans aren't due to expire until 2018.

Also I just bought a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy formula for my 7+ dog. Also an indoor pet whom usually eats Iams but they were out at the grocery store. I opened the bag to feed him and it was full of maggots. The bags expiration date was for October 2017. I complained to Purina and they blamed it on Food Lion.

I have been feeding my cat Purina Indoor Cat food (green bag) for about a year. I noticed she'd sometimes throw up after consuming it but I attributed that to her eating it so fast. Anyway, this past weekend I ended up being stranded in a different city and had my cat with me. I only had enough food for one night, so my husband and I ran out to Walmart to grab another bag. She ate it up and seemed ok. However, we woke up the next day to diarrhea EVERYWHERE and vomit.

I thought maybe she was stressed so I kept an eye on her hoping it'd get better. She didn't seem stressed at all up to this point is a good traveller. Anyway, she went to the bathroom again early afternoon and I noticed she had blood in her stool - bright red blood. I immediately called an emergency vet.

Again, I was stranded without my vehicle on a acreage a half an hour from the nearest city. I had to call my husband who arranged to have somebody bring me his work truck. I brought her in, they did a series of tests and X-rays. They asked me what food I was feeding her and when I told them, they were not happy. I was not able to get a full diagnosis as they could not figure out what was wrong. However, they still prescribed me meds just in case of certain things... But after reading THESE REVIEWS I am blaming the food!! We all have way too much in common here with our experiences lately. I'd love for Purina to pay my $1400 vet bill too! I'll submit my receipt. Anybody else interested in obtaining a lawyer?? Maybe a group action suit if that possible. I am so angry and now am off to buy different food.

I have 7 cats, 2 have sensitive stomachs, so I tried the pro plan sensitive stomach formula. All 7 cats threw it up, they couldn't even digest this food. It came back out the same as it went in. Didn't even look like it had been eaten. Hello Purina, it's sensitive stomach formula... Get my drift?? I will never feed your crappie food to my animals again. I have a pet parent. I trained their dog. He works at the Purina plant here in Denver, he warned me to not feed Purina. The guy works there!!! I'm happy he was honest with me. Purina is a disgrace to our pets!!

Kitten food Chicken and Liver - We bought 2 cases of the product. First few cans seemed okay, though a bit of an odd smell. The last can we opened, the smell was so bad that we had to bag it and take it straight to the trash. It literally smelled like a can of feces. Concerned for my kitten's health now. Product was spoiled in the can. Best by Nov2017. 53171162 L20021653. I contacted Purina - requesting a full refund and logging a case in the event my kitten needs medical attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

My cat has kidney stones and we have searched for a food beneficial for her. We tried Pro Plan Urinary Tract Chicken and Turkey formula, she loved it. Twenty four hours later she was rapid breathing then projectile vomiting with mucus diarrhea. I thought she was going to die. She still might. It's two days later now I am just slowly getting her to eat another food. She looks horrible. I am bringing the remaining food back to Petco.

I have been using this product for 3 years and in the past 3 months my 4 cats have been ill. They have lost weight, hair and constant itching. Something is wrong with this product. I called the company and they told me that they have not changed the formula so obviously they have tainted ingredients in the product that sicken animals. I would warn owners if your pets are crying after eating, losing weight, vomiting and have uncontrolled itching with open sores it is the food.

Until this product sickened my kitty, I was a very pleased Purina Pro user. But this last batch of dry cat food sickened my cat and my mother's cat. The beef flavored classic ground wet food also sickened them. They got violently ill less than 3x feet from the cat food bowl. The Lamb and Rice kicked it off and was way worse, lasting a few days with fever and gaggy hacks, but they still vomited with the Savory and Beef+Chicken. I also fed my kitty the Purina Natural Ocean Whitefish & Salmon Classic Ground which didn't make them sick. This was over a period of a week and the second cat sickening that we realized it was the food. Our primary go-to for food is the wet food so the second cat didn't get sick until mom was too busy to get him his food before he relented and ate the "emergency rations" dry food. 3x feet later projectile vomiting like the first cat. Thankfully he is younger and/or did not get as big a dose as my poor older kitty the first day.

Purina Pro Plan Focus Dry Catfood - Sensitive Skin & Stomach, Adult, Lamb & Rice, Purina Pro Plan Savor Dry Catfood - Chicken & Rice Formula, Adult

Purina Pro Plan Canned Cat Food - Chicken & Beef Entree, Adult 11+, Classic Ground. Cat#1: Bob, 12 yr., 18# (very large kitty, not fat!), medium long hair tabby in excellent health. Cat#2: Jake, 3 yr., 13# (still gawky skinny big kitty, not fat!), American short-hair/main coon mix, also in excellent health. Symptoms at each exposure: severe projectile vomiting, feverish, less energy, still eating, still drinking, still hungry AFTER puking, still pooping and peeing, stool's a little watery, gag/huffing for days after. Purchased late April 2016 + 5/3/2016 from PetCo, Walla Walla, WA 99362.

I have 3 cats that have always used Purina Indoor. To my amazement when I bought a new bag and put into their dishes, all 3 cats sniffed it and walked away. This is so unusual for my cats as feeding time is a big deal to them. I stupidly threw it away. I knew something was wrong with it. Even the smell was off. Beware to check your cat or dog food bags upon opening them.

Our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan so that is what we buy. It is 40% protein and when I look at other brands, they are always less. Our cats have never complained about it so they must enjoy it. I buy it from Amazon and it gets delivered to my door for less than the price at PetSmart. I find that amazing.

When I first got Pepper back in October 2014, the adoption clinic strictly instructed me that she should only eat Purina Pro Plan Cat Food and nothing else. She seems to like it and she will meow at me whenever she can see the bottom of her bowl with the food pushed to the edges. I don't know if it's her acting like a child pushing her "peas" to the side or she's actually enjoying it and she's eating straight down. However, after recent events (involving her throwing up a clear mucus-y substance and avoiding the litter box entirely) and six recalls (two of which I had to return the bagged food) I'm thinking of switching to Nature's Variety as she heartily enjoyed the sample that I was given.

Upon purchasing this cat food -- three separate times over a period of a year -- both of my otherwise healthy cats vomited within 15 minutes of eating their meal. My older cat will go to her dish, smell/see this food, and continue meowing for food as if there's nothing there. She will go hungry before she eats it, and finally when she does give in, she pukes. Same with my 5 year old cat. This company is criminal and they know it. I hope people smarten up and boycott them right out of business.

I can't actually describe if I enjoyed it, however my cat had absolutely no problems with it. Apparently it's nutritious & supposed to be one of Purina's best cat foods.

Open up the bag of Purina Pro and it was crawling with maggots. Instantly returned it and bought something else. Purina customer service response was poor and because of that I refuse to serve my cat Purina dry food now.

I use a cat food with no artificial colors or preservatives. There is no need to fancy color cat food. They don't care what color it is and it is not healthy for your animal. We love the Purina Naturals cat food for our 2 9 year old cats.

I rescued a 10-year old cat a few years ago and began feeding her Purina Pro Plan. She seems to enjoy it and the food is affordable and my vet is impressed with her health.

This was a great compromise between any ingredients list I could live with and a food the kitty would not turn her nose up at. I wish I had found Pro Plan sooner in her life and not wasted all that time with trendy food she wouldn't eat (and which I am no longer convinced were as good for her as the trendsetters would have me believe).

I am owner of 1 cat. Other owner is acquaintance that lives in a different state. Gave cat a rounded tablespoon of the food from new can about 5:30 pm on Friday. About 12:15 am she suddenly vomited without any warning or noise as she usually does. When we woke up at 6:30 we found little bits of sticky stool throughout the house, in all 6 rooms, some with a wet spots around it on carpet. Same little bits of sticky stool were seen in litter box, with a puddle of mucus, almost clear stool that was beginning to dry around edges (so it probably had been there for 3-4 hours). We went to cat to find her with very slow shallow breathing, no movement of her body at all and only a bit of movement of her head. We pet her and sat with her for about 30 minutes then took another hour to clean house while she remained with almost no movement on the chair.

After another hour or so we coaxed her down to try to get her to her water dish when we found dry, mucusy fecal matter over her entire back end, on her haunches and down to her feet. She had no strength to struggle as we cleaned her. We noticed her eyes were fully dilated and would not close with light - just blinking and closing eyes because the light was too strong for her. She was listless and slept on one chair for next 10 hours or so. At 5:30 we fed her about a teaspoon of jarred baby food, chicken with broth. She ate that fine, still no water. About 9 p.m. we got her to take a bit of water.

We have a Bengal Breed female. Sometimes she is a bit finicky. And then we switch to Fancy Feast filet mignon with seafood and shrimp. I do not know why it's called seafood and shrimp, since shrimp mostly comes from the sea. The freshwater shrimp are prawns. Our cat normally loves the Purina Pro Plan though.

On April 30, 2015 my sweet gentle giant "Shylo" was admitted into the hospital with a severe urinary tract infection. He had to have a catheter placed, and had several crystals in his urine. The first thing his doctor asked me, was "What food are you feeding Shylo?" I told her "I only buy and feed my cats Purina cat chow blue bag!" She said, "no Trish, Purina blue bag is as bad if not worse than Walmart special kitty!" I felt so guilty.

I called Purina, sent them all Shylo's paperwork. Purina reimbursed me the vet bill by check (Admission of guilt). Then relapsed. And on July 11, 2015 my beautiful sweet boy died under my bed! Purina told me "We will pay for his cremation" when I sign their release form. I refuse to sign any release form. Purina wants me to keep my mouth shut! I cannot keep my mouth shut. Innocent cats are dying because of their food! I do not want any more cats to die from Purina's poisonous food! I do not want one more innocent cat to suffer like my boy did! This Thursday Sept. 3, 2015 I am picking up Shylo's urn! Purina must be stopped!

Within the last year due to health problems with 2 of my cats I have switched to Purina Pro Plan Focus diets. My 1 year old Maine Coon Cat was diagnosed with a complete urinary blockage and after hospitalization and treatment was sent home with an expensive Prescription Diet. After 6 months on this diet he was doing well but the cost was prohibitive and after MUCH research and reading hundreds of reviews I came across the Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Diet for cats that you didn't need a prescription for and was very reasonably priced. It is safe for all of my cats to eat this diet and I am thrilled to say that after 11 months on this diet he is healthier than ever and has not had one problem.

I have a Ragdoll Cat that had a "sensitive" stomach with diarrhea that we could not get under control, even after 3 vet visits and numerous antibiotics. I put her on the Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach (Lamb and Rice) and the problem was resolved overnight. An added benefit is that she has the most beautiful, lush coat that you can imagine! We recently adopted another Ragdoll kitten and started her immediately on the Pro Plan Kitten formula and she is doing outstanding and also has a magnificent and beautiful full coat.

After using numerous "Ultra Premium" foods that are MUCH more expensive than the Pro Plan I have to say that we are thrilled with the results of these diets on all of our pets and their health. I question all of the negative reviews that I have seen on here as people with ulterior motives, although I NEVER write reviews I felt I had to considering the excellent results we have had with the Purina Pro Plan Focus diets, and yes, we have provided receipts to prove that we actually DO use this food. If your pet has a condition that one of the Pro Plan diets could help with I would research the food and the Purina Pro Plan website and definitely consider trying it. We are ecstatic that we did (and so are our pets)!

I regularly feed my cats a small amount daily of Purina Pro Plan Savor Chicken and Rice dry food and they are fine. This week my cats became sick, but I am not sure it was from the Pro Plan as they eat many Fancy feast canned cat food varieties. I found this site and saw the various posts that are current and about Pro Plan. My cats have vomited and refused to eat for a day. My elderly 16 year old cat is sicker and not recovering.

After this situation, I bought new bags of Pro Plan with a different lot number printed on it. The cats loved it, but the next evening, another cat who was well vomited. (Originally only 3 became sickened). It led me to question whether the Pro Plan dry food was at fault. I don't know. The other cats are well now except for my elderly cat who is taking medicine for this after a vet visit yesterday. Fortunately, all five cats who eat Pro Plan dry only eat 1/8 or 1/4 of a cup a day, so they recovered in a day (if this even was the fault of Pro Plan dry food).

Incidentally, the cat who is eating another food has not become sick, nor has another cat who does eat Pro Plan, so it may not be this food that is at fault. I think Pro Plan is manufactured in China and I know One Beyond is manufactured in Thailand. I would like to say that food manufactured in the U.S. has stricter quality control; however, I have read the FDA pet food alerts from 2007 and some newer brands manufactured in the U.S. have had recent recalls. Royal Canin, which is very expensive, has never had a recall, and I buy one of their dry foods as well. I believe that the dry foods should be stored in a dry, cool place (which my kitchen, where they are stored, is not).

I understand from reading blogs about the 2007 pet food contamination that killed many cats and dogs, that Purina will pull their products off the shelf when they could be or are contaminated, but they do not issue recalls (which saves the company face, so it doesn't lose consumer confidence). However, I have seen recalls of Purina One Beyond on the FDA site in the past. I have not had any dire consequences yet with my cats' sickness, thankfully, and I have not yet called Purina regarding this issue as I am not certain of the cause of their sickness yet.

I have been feeding both wet and dry Purina Cat food for years. Within the past few months my adult boy cat refused to eat the wet food, Pro Plan. He is a big boy, healthy, and eats the dry food, Purina One. I chalked up his refusing to eat the wet food as being finicky. Then I got a feral cat a month ago whom I had spayed and had to keep inside for three weeks during the cold weather. I started feeding her both the wet and dry food. She seemed fine initially for the first five days, then she started having diarrhea and vomiting yellow bile. I thought it was due to the antibiotics I had her on for a respiratory infection. Well, I stopped the antibiotics one week ago. She no longer has a respiratory infection. She has been tested for Fluke and FIV, both are negative. She continues to vomit and have diarrhea.

Now after reading the other reports I am concerned it is the cat food. The only difference between what my boy eats and her is the canned food. She gobbles it down, but my boy won't touch it. He is fine. She is sick. I am taking the wet food back tomorrow and going to carefully monitor them eating the dry food. Thinking back, I am wondering if I poisoned my 9 year old female cat whom I had to put down three years ago with a tumor that was unexplained. She ate the same food, both wet and dry.

I have fed my cats Pro Plan since they were kittens. They loved it and looked healthy and had soft shiny coats. One cat has digestion issues so we would use the lamb and rice formula or chicken. I would occasionally get another brand of cat food if it was on sale and for 12+ years have had no problems with them transitioning back and forth. If I did it was with the one cat. Last week I had bought pro plan lamb and rice because the large bags were on sale. All three cats have been throwing up and have severe diarrhea. They also were not very eager to eat the food. The day I changed back to a different brand it instantly cleared up. Purina has changed their formula on pro plan somehow and sad to say we will not be buying Purina anymore.

My cat had been on Purina Pro Plan and then switched to Friskies because she stopped eating the Pro Plan (dry) cat food. So we just decided to offer her something different. This happened in December. She still wouldn't eat and then we took her to the vet who treated her for dehydration and gave antibiotics for infection. I thought she was recovering, but, suddenly she collapsed and could no longer hold herself up. She died yesterday of organ failure. I came to this thread trying to find some closure, trying to figure out what happened. She was fine until December. I am wondering if there was a bad batch in November/December. I miss my kitty.

I'm surprised at the negative comments. We have 3 cats and had a lot of problems with other pet foods. We put them on Purina Pro Plan cat food (dry) and they all seem healthy. They also really like the food a lot - it's the only cat food all three of them could agree on. They literally beg for it at night. The problem with it is the ingredients. I was trying to get them to eat Blue Buffalo to switch them to a healthy good, but well, check out the Blue Buffalo reviews here and you'll see the problem. So we defaulted to this brand.

The ingredients are terrible - gluten meal (which cats do NOT eat in the wild) as the 2nd ingredient, and a lot of meat "meal" and "byproduct". This is junk food, pure and simple. God only knows what's really in it. That said, the cats seem healthy and happy. So I'm not unhappy but I'm still waiting for some company to make a "healthy" cat food that cats will actually eat, and which doesn't come with its own major health risks. Purina Pro Plan is not perfect, but at least cats like it and it doesn't make them sick.

My kitten (10 months old) has been on Purina pro plan kitten food since I got her last April. After starting a new bag last week she threw up her entire meal 15 minutes after eating till it was bail. This bag has an expiration date of April 2016. My kitten has NEVER thrown up, even a hair ball! The next morning she tried the food again, same thing. After reading some of the reviews online I was terrified my kitten was going to die! I ended up switching her immediately to a holistic brand and she has been doing fine since. She will not be eating Purina brand anything ever again. Also as I was cleaning out her litter box I noticed she had bloody stool from the food. I am absolutely heartbroken that I gave her this poison! My mom the next day opened up a new bag of Purina food for her cat and the cat threw it all up as well! Terrible! Something is going on with this food for sure!

I have fed my cat Pro Plan wet food for years along with OM Purina dry food. Both are his favorites. In mid December, I purchased several cans of Pro Plan wet food. He started to get diarrhea when I fed him the wet food. When I withdrew the wet food, his diarrhea went away. As soon as I reintroduce the wet food, his diarrhea returns. I can only assume the Pro Plan wet food is the culprit. I am going to return all of these cans to PetSmart as I am assuming it is a contaminated batch. I am wondering if anyone else has had experienced these adverse effects.

This company seems to be going down hill since the Menu Foods Incident - I cannot get a good food from them and I have tried several times with the result being sick pets! This time the doctor recommended their (wet and dry) urinary support formula pro plan focus and Friskies special diet as a less expensive alternative to prescription food. I slowly transitioned them over as told and still they had violent vomiting and bloody diarrhea until I transitioned them off of it! 858 complaints and growing is ridiculous! You would expect them to at least be more careful with special needs foods!! I saw user reviews before buying, but not this website! I guess I have to run consumer affairs searches to keep my pets safe? The Focus was bought at Petco and the Friskies at PetSmart on Black Friday. Sorry no receipt for the .39 can black friday Friskies Special Diet, but it was lamb and rice, chicken and gravy and turkey and gravy.

I have had my Sphinx cats, Nike and Tipper, on Pro Plan dry and wet cat food for roughly 7 years. About 3 months ago, I took them off the dry food as one of my cats was throwing up the dry food and the other had very soft stools. I continued with just the wet cat food and it seemed to resolve both issues, but something with the wet cat food must have changed. One of my cats would throw that up starting about 3 weeks ago time. Then on 8/18, my precious Tipper ate a can of the wet Pro Plan food and went into a severe asthmatic allergic reaction and died. Get your pets off this brand of cat food if you value their well-being.

Expert Review

Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.    More about Dr. Ken Tudor→

Created by Purina, one of the most trusted names in pet care, Pro Plan is a premium pet food with only one thing in mind - health. Pro Plan creates healthy blends and tempting flavors, all chock full of the nutrition pets need to stay glossy and active.

• Special formulas for almost any issue: Pro Plan makes cat food formulas designed to help with almost any issue a cat can develop, from sensitive stomachs to urinary tract health.
  • Wet and dry food options: For picky eaters and cats that do better on a wet food diet, Pro Plan has a variety of options.
  • No fad diets: Pro Plan creates food with pet health as the primary goal, avoiding gimmicks and trends.
  • Kitten, adult and senior formulas: Pro Plan offers kitten food, food for adults one year and older, and for those eleven plus.
  • Color-coded for easy shopping: Each food category is broken down by bag color to show which products are for health issues, picky eaters or general health.
  • Best for Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Compare Cat Food