2.20/5
  • 1 star
Based on 45 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 26, 2017

48 Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Both cats started vomiting and had diarrhea for five days several times per day while eating wet True Nature Grain Free Purina food. I will request refund from Amazon and somehow return food to be destroyed. This has NEVER happened before.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Began feeding my 16 year old girl Purina one urinary tract health dry food today, and she has been vomiting and foaming at the mouth nonstop. I'm so angry and feel like I poisoned her by giving this food. It seems in one of many... I had already removed this food to return it. This is the first Purina product I have ever bought, and I will never use a Purina product again. I hope she will recover.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I had three cats pass away from cancer who consumed many years both Purina and Meow Mix formula. I am concerned about the old grains that dry foods are known to have and preservatives. I read on a review that this food has preservatives which made a cat gurus up and my cat was throwing up before got worse. Please call me at **.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have a 14 year old, 6 pound dog. She is older with very much diminished senses. In fact she is blind, deaf and I am sure cannot taste. She ate the majority of a can of the Beef and Vegetable food yesterday. This was from a new can. She was exhibiting 0 signs of sickness. Seconds after eating she puked what I thought was all of it up. Well it wasn't all because she only got more sick. She was sick like you cannot imagine.

My puppy picked up one piece about the size of a dime. It fell the floor and we must have missed it. Well seconds after eating it she was foaming at the mouth and shaking her head. She knew it was bad because she has her senses. 24 hours later and minutes ago she took her last breath. 20 minutes into digging her grave a beautiful butterfly showed up. Take it how you want but it happened and I am grateful. Anyway be warned about the cans of food. At a minimum give your pet a small bite and see how they react. If they are old do not feed them this stuff for a long while.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have two cats, both are young and my cats are not related, and both are not pure bred cats. I have been feeding Fancy Feast cat food to my cats and past cats for years off and on. Right now since my cats are both young I can tell when the food is not good. Either they both will not eat it or they both throw up after eating the same Fancy Feast food. I usually try to use the pate Fancy Feast and when this happens it can be any flavor, but it's the same flavor and can when they get sick. When this starts happening I stop giving them Fancy Feast and change to another brand. I worry that there is something bad in these foods. I have asked different vets over the years about cat foods and Fancy Feast is one that they say do not use if possible... I feel I should have the food analyzed the next time this happens. I worry that these large companies think more about the money than the cats...

They are definitely charging high prices for small portions... I can't find my receipt, but will give the cans scan information 5000042974 on bottom of can it says Best by: Jan 2019 70221160L21300908. Some of this food is purchased at Pavilions in Malibu and some is purchased at Smart & Final on Lindero in Westlake Village, CA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Earlier tonight I opened a new 7LB bag of Purina One dry cat food. As soon as I opened it, all of these moths came flying out of the bag. Right away I dumped 85% of it in the trash to see what is at the bottom and there were bugs crawling everywhere inside, moths still flying out of bag and cocoons on inside and outside of bag in the seams. I contacted Purina and was told they will send me a replacement coupon and discount coupons. I contacted the store and they said bring what is left of the bag in and they will replace.

I went to the store and when I went to grab another bag I examined the outside good and it had cocoons on the seams of the bag. I went to grab another bag and all these moths came flying out. I checked all the bags on the shelf and they all seem to have these cocoons on the outside. I told the store manager never mind, I am not getting a replacement bag because they are all infested. They gave me store credit. I am still roaming my house with a vacuum hose sucking these moths up that are flying around and the cats are helping with chasing and catching them. I'm so grossed out. I will NEVER get any more Purina products ever again. This might explain why my cat has had such bad diarrhea lately.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I purchased 4 cases of Purina Pro Plan Wet Cat Food True Nature: Natural Ocean Whitefish & Salmon Entree. I opened the can and in the food was a piece of blue plastic, luckily the plastic was exposed so I saw it in time and did not feed the food to my cat. I have reached out to the company. In the meantime, hopefully other cats have not been consuming the plastic in this faulty batch that was made.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I gave my cat 2 tablespoons of Purina friskies canned food. Within 10 minutes she began vomiting then became wobbly then started howling (pain) tender stomach. Then couldn't stand up. Threw up more. Breathing became slower then 30 mins later stopped breathing. Died. She was very healthy and playfully till after she licked the food 3 times. It took about 6 hrs for her to die. It was the most horrifying way I've ever seen any animal die.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have been a cat owner my entire life. I began breeding Himalayans 35 years ago. Since that time I have changed my breed of cat to Egyptian Maus. I started feeding my cats Pro Plan wet food 15 years ago. My cats have always loved it. 7 years ago I found wet food that had higher protein levels that suited my active Maus better, so I switched over to that 50% of the time. I always thought your brand was unassailable until I did some research. I found out some of your meat products are not at all what I have been led to believe and the quality is not something a human being could eat without getting ill. Shame on all of you.

Two of my Egyptian Maus died from something that couldn't be diagnosed from a simple autopsy. I can't blame it on your food without proof. I can however lower your score. Yes my cats are obsessed with the taste but after reading about what goes into it I am horrified. It is less expensive than my other wet food but it's not about the money. My pets are dear to my family, and of course to me, they ARE FAMILY.

Original review: March 9, 2017

Recently Purina changed this food (Purina One salmon and tuna blend try food). I had quite a few cats on it. After they changed it, every one of my cats on this food starting getting sick and vomiting! I wrote Purina asking what they did to the food. I never got an answer. So I would steer clear of the "new" Purina one salmon and tuna blend. Try cat food!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I believe this is the best cat food for my budget. There are others that are better but more expensive however Petsmart is fleecing the public by raising the prices frequently... What used to be 65 cents a can not long ago is now 99 cents for 3 ounces.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I bought Purina one until my cats' favorite flavors, such as chicken & rice, were switched over to pro plan. Now I have to pay more for the same products. It's still a great cat food but that was kinda sneaky though.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

My fur balls loves this brand and they are both hard to please, this brand is helping my little girl who suffers from a health problem. So far this is the only dry and wet food that she loves. I also love the variety that they offer and the ingredients in their food.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have bought Purina Pro Plan for many years and my cats really enjoy the chicken and/or salmon kibbles. I had to change to Hill's Prescription Diet c/d for my male cat because he had some urinary tract issues.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I haven't had any problems with their food, in fact when I first brought my cats into the vets when they were neutered and got their shots at 5-6 months he asked what I was feeding them and I said Friskies and Purina, he said "good"...but reading these comments I am worried. The oldest cat Petey 2 1/2 years old is very picky and will maybe vomit once every 2-3 weeks, but it is usually after he eats too much. He is nicely trim, not fat or even a little chubby, they are both indoor cats and rescued from the streets as tiny kittens. The youngest Leo 1 1/2 years old loves the dry food and honestly isn't as picky as Petey, and never vomits.

I have tried other brands like Iam's but my cats wouldn't eat it. I do mix up the dry food, I buy the 3.5oz bags of Friskies or Purina and mix different bags of flavours into a large plastic container and then mix it, so the cats are always getting a variety of flavours each time they eat. I work all day and with no one home I always have their dry food bowl filled and is usually needing more every 2 days, so they aren't over eating. I give them a spoonful of can Friskies every morning and every evening, they do not like the Purina can... they don't like most other can foods either like Sheba or Fancy Feast. Any info on the best foods that aren't so expensive would be helpful.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I started feeding my 13+ (strictly indoor all his life) cat Purina Pro Plan Urinary tract formula (morning) and metabolism formula (afternoon) canned food about a month ago. The first week he was fine. The second week he started having a little diarrhea and then he started projectile vomiting a greenish-yellow bile for 3 days in a row until I finally took him to the vet. $180 later my vet told me that my cat had unusually high amount of Spirochetes in his gut. Prior to feeding him Purina I had always feed him Iams indoor hard cat food but he lost his front teeth and couldn't digest the food as well anymore. After reading all the other reviews I am totally confident that the Purina is the culprit. All cans aren't due to expire until 2018.

Also I just bought a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy formula for my 7+ dog. Also an indoor pet whom usually eats Iams but they were out at the grocery store. I opened the bag to feed him and it was full of maggots. The bags expiration date was for October 2017. I complained to Purina and they blamed it on Food Lion.

Original review: July 27, 2016
I have been feeding my cat Purina Indoor Cat food (green bag) for about a year. I noticed she'd sometimes throw up after consuming it but I attributed that to her eating it so fast. Anyway, this past weekend I ended up being stranded in a different city and had my cat with me. I only had enough food for one night, so my husband and I ran out to Walmart to grab another bag. She ate it up and seemed ok. However, we woke up the next day to diarrhea EVERYWHERE and vomit.

I thought maybe she was stressed so I kept an eye on her hoping it'd get better. She didn't seem stressed at all up to this point is a good traveller. Anyway, she went to the bathroom again early afternoon and I noticed she had blood in her stool - bright red blood. I immediately called an emergency vet.

Again, I was stranded without my vehicle on a acreage a half an hour from the nearest city. I had to call my husband who arranged to have somebody bring me his work truck. I brought her in, they did a series of tests and X-rays. They asked me what food I was feeding her and when I told them, they were not happy. I was not able to get a full diagnosis as they could not figure out what was wrong. However, they still prescribed me meds just in case of certain things... But after reading THESE REVIEWS I am blaming the food!! We all have way too much in common here with our experiences lately. I'd love for Purina to pay my $1400 vet bill too! I'll submit my receipt. Anybody else interested in obtaining a lawyer?? Maybe a group action suit if that possible. I am so angry and now am off to buy different food.

Original review: July 26, 2016

I have 7 cats, 2 have sensitive stomachs, so I tried the pro plan sensitive stomach formula. All 7 cats threw it up, they couldn't even digest this food. It came back out the same as it went in. Didn't even look like it had been eaten. Hello Purina, it's sensitive stomach formula... Get my drift?? I will never feed your crappie food to my animals again. I have a pet parent. I trained their dog. He works at the Purina plant here in Denver, he warned me to not feed Purina. The guy works there!!! I'm happy he was honest with me. Purina is a disgrace to our pets!!

Original review: July 12, 2016

Kitten food Chicken and Liver - We bought 2 cases of the product. First few cans seemed okay, though a bit of an odd smell. The last can we opened, the smell was so bad that we had to bag it and take it straight to the trash. It literally smelled like a can of feces. Concerned for my kitten's health now. Product was spoiled in the can. Best by Nov2017. 53171162 L20021653. I contacted Purina - requesting a full refund and logging a case in the event my kitten needs medical attention.

Original review: June 22, 2016

My cat has kidney stones and we have searched for a food beneficial for her. We tried Pro Plan Urinary Tract Chicken and Turkey formula, she loved it. Twenty four hours later she was rapid breathing then projectile vomiting with mucus diarrhea. I thought she was going to die. She still might. It's two days later now I am just slowly getting her to eat another food. She looks horrible. I am bringing the remaining food back to Petco.

Original review: June 16, 2016

I have been using this product for 3 years and in the past 3 months my 4 cats have been ill. They have lost weight, hair and constant itching. Something is wrong with this product. I called the company and they told me that they have not changed the formula so obviously they have tainted ingredients in the product that sicken animals. I would warn owners if your pets are crying after eating, losing weight, vomiting and have uncontrolled itching with open sores it is the food.

Original review: May 6, 2016

Until this product sickened my kitty, I was a very pleased Purina Pro user. But this last batch of dry cat food sickened my cat and my mother's cat. The beef flavored classic ground wet food also sickened them. They got violently ill less than 3x feet from the cat food bowl. The Lamb and Rice kicked it off and was way worse, lasting a few days with fever and gaggy hacks, but they still vomited with the Savory and Beef+Chicken. I also fed my kitty the Purina Natural Ocean Whitefish & Salmon Classic Ground which didn't make them sick. This was over a period of a week and the second cat sickening that we realized it was the food. Our primary go-to for food is the wet food so the second cat didn't get sick until mom was too busy to get him his food before he relented and ate the "emergency rations" dry food. 3x feet later projectile vomiting like the first cat. Thankfully he is younger and/or did not get as big a dose as my poor older kitty the first day.

Purina Pro Plan Focus Dry Catfood - Sensitive Skin & Stomach, Adult, Lamb & Rice, Purina Pro Plan Savor Dry Catfood - Chicken & Rice Formula, Adult

Purina Pro Plan Canned Cat Food - Chicken & Beef Entree, Adult 11+, Classic Ground. Cat#1: Bob, 12 yr., 18# (very large kitty, not fat!), medium long hair tabby in excellent health. Cat#2: Jake, 3 yr., 13# (still gawky skinny big kitty, not fat!), American short-hair/main coon mix, also in excellent health. Symptoms at each exposure: severe projectile vomiting, feverish, less energy, still eating, still drinking, still hungry AFTER puking, still pooping and peeing, stool's a little watery, gag/huffing for days after. Purchased late April 2016 + 5/3/2016 from PetCo, Walla Walla, WA 99362.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I have 3 cats that have always used Purina Indoor. To my amazement when I bought a new bag and put into their dishes, all 3 cats sniffed it and walked away. This is so unusual for my cats as feeding time is a big deal to them. I stupidly threw it away. I knew something was wrong with it. Even the smell was off. Beware to check your cat or dog food bags upon opening them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan so that is what we buy. It is 40% protein and when I look at other brands, they are always less. Our cats have never complained about it so they must enjoy it. I buy it from Amazon and it gets delivered to my door for less than the price at PetSmart. I find that amazing.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

When I first got Pepper back in October 2014, the adoption clinic strictly instructed me that she should only eat Purina Pro Plan Cat Food and nothing else. She seems to like it and she will meow at me whenever she can see the bottom of her bowl with the food pushed to the edges. I don't know if it's her acting like a child pushing her "peas" to the side or she's actually enjoying it and she's eating straight down. However, after recent events (involving her throwing up a clear mucus-y substance and avoiding the litter box entirely) and six recalls (two of which I had to return the bagged food) I'm thinking of switching to Nature's Variety as she heartily enjoyed the sample that I was given.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Upon purchasing this cat food -- three separate times over a period of a year -- both of my otherwise healthy cats vomited within 15 minutes of eating their meal. My older cat will go to her dish, smell/see this food, and continue meowing for food as if there's nothing there. She will go hungry before she eats it, and finally when she does give in, she pukes. Same with my 5 year old cat. This company is criminal and they know it. I hope people smarten up and boycott them right out of business.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I can't actually describe if I enjoyed it, however my cat had absolutely no problems with it. Apparently it's nutritious & supposed to be one of Purina's best cat foods.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

Open up the bag of Purina Pro and it was crawling with maggots. Instantly returned it and bought something else. Purina customer service response was poor and because of that I refuse to serve my cat Purina dry food now.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I use a cat food with no artificial colors or preservatives. There is no need to fancy color cat food. They don't care what color it is and it is not healthy for your animal. We love the Purina Naturals cat food for our 2 9 year old cats.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I rescued a 10-year old cat a few years ago and began feeding her Purina Pro Plan. She seems to enjoy it and the food is affordable and my vet is impressed with her health.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Created by Purina, one of the most trusted names in pet care, Pro Plan is a premium pet food with only one thing in mind - health. Pro Plan creates healthy blends and tempting flavors, all chock full of the nutrition pets need to stay glossy and active.

• Special formulas for almost any issue: Pro Plan makes cat food formulas designed to help with almost any issue a cat can develop, from sensitive stomachs to urinary tract health.

• Wet and dry food options: For picky eaters and cats that do better on a wet food diet, Pro Plan has a variety of options.

• No fad diets: Pro Plan creates food with pet health as the primary goal, avoiding gimmicks and trends.

• Kitten, adult and senior formulas: Pro Plan offers kitten food, food for adults one year and older, and for those eleven plus.

• Color-coded for easy shopping: Each food category is broken down by bag color to show which products are for health issues, picky eaters or general health.

• Best for: Active kittens, picky cats, inactive cats and cats with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information