3.7/5 (87 ratings)

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: May 9, 2022

Both my cats started vomiting on the new formula. It's the one with the matte bag versus the glossy bag. We went around town and bought the former bag at a few stores that still had it. But the new formula caused both of our cats to puke everywhere for several days on end. Also, this wasn't a straight change, they had their original formula in their bowl and we gradually added it as an extra step. I contacted Purina via Facebook under the name of Debra Elise and they ignored my post, and didn't contact me. There was also 1 very concerning ingredient that is now added to the new formula, which has been indicated in liver/kidney failure.

It's unacceptable to not be contacted by Purina. I recently had to reach out to Verizon, and ID me on both responded almost instantly. I hope the FDA will get involved. I've submitted a formal complaint.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

My vet suggested Pro Plan with my cats' allergies. We put our cats on Pro Plan 6 months. They were throwing up more often, allergies got much worse and they seemed to slow down. I was very Disappointed. I DO NOT suggest this food brand, we are still dealing with the allergic effects 3 months later.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Food quality is consistent and packaging remains the same. It has been harder to order and receive the 5.5 ounce cans either due to marketing or supply chain delays. Our cats loved the Nutro brand of foods. But when their cat food looks it was pulled off the market and rebranded in smaller packaging it was no longer feasible in a multi-cat household. Purina Pro Plan quickly became our go to in the void and we have continued to use, plus the cats like it. We would recommend.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

My 2 cats were eating Fancy Feast wet and I switched them to Pro Plan wet food. They usually clean the bowls and enjoy a wide variety of flavors. They stay full longer, have more energy, and softer fur now. The cat box is also less odorous.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I have 2 cats, one is 6yo and the other 3yo. They are very finicky, but I have found after finding the flavors they like, (one loves seafood anything, the other prefer chicken or turkey) as long as it is Purina (paste please), they clean their plates! No more wasted money on different brands of food they won't even taste. Some of them smell awful and I don't blame them for not eating it. It seems as long as I feed them Purina, I have 2 happy fur babies!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Got new and cat got so sick I thought she was going to die. Disappeared in my house for 2 days. Finally showed up the 3rd. Emailed Purina and they sent coupons. My cat was only eating that food. Yuck.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I purchased Purina pro live clear for my healthy cat, that has not had any veterinary issues. I fed live clear to my cat for 3 weeks. He ended up inpatient at my vet for mega colon. He spent 4 days inpatient at my vet.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Very long story short. My cat started vomiting on Purina dry food. We brought him to the vet, everything was normal, we thought it was just a stomach upset, but the vet advised to switch him on Purina Fancy Feast (variety). Within the next 7 months my cat continued to have violent episodes of vomiting, every 2-3-4 days that caused severe dehydration. Three months after the first episode he showed signs of kidney failure. Immediately changed the food to other Purina brands, with less proteins, no chunks. Same story, vomiting, vomiting several trips to the ER.

At the end I decided to completely interrupt cat food and switched my cat to human food. Vomiting completely, and I say completely stopped!! To understand whether it was the food, after one month that he stopped vomiting I re-introduced Purina Pro Plan slowly, first one tip of the spoon, within one week one can. At the 1 can feeding, cat vomiting again!! I have a dog also on Purina Pro Plan Focus. He is not eating that food and has upset stomach all the time. I am eliminating Purina from my house, for cat and dog. They should seriously revisit what they are giving us.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

The cats love it, it’s made without fillers, artificial flavors and starts with meat and made in the USA! My cats were itchy, scratching and licking fur off. I had been giving them Meow Mix. I read the different reasons for the scratching, on the internet and they mentioned corn products. My vet recommended the Purina Pro so I read the ingredients and started them on it. All is well now and they are happy, content, and no more licking and scratching which makes us very happy too!

Original review: July 23, 2020

I have raised my fur child on Purina since she was a kitten. As she got older, the variety of choices of purina along with other cat foods came available, yet I wouldn't think of switching nor would my little 1 but as she aged, just such as us humans do as we get older, she started slowing down a bit so I decided to try the

Purina 1 Older Cat since it stated that it would help supply my little girl with all the nutrients & vitamins that she needed & that it would help bring out the kitten in her, so to speak.

I have to be honest & didn't believe that I would see much difference but held out hope that at least the extra nutrients would do her good. How wrong I was! Her mobility & agility increased greatly and let's just say that play time was extremely extended. Thank you very much to purina for not only making my little girl's life so much better but my also since I had the PLEASURE of 21 1/2 years with her. I can't promise or prove that it was the cat food alone, but I stand as a firm believer that it DEFINITELY played an important role, so I would highly recommend this product to anyone that loves their fur babies as much as me. THX MUCH, 1 HAPPY momma!

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Created by Purina, one of the most trusted names in pet care, Pro Plan is a premium pet food with only one thing in mind - health. Pro Plan creates healthy blends and tempting flavors, all chock full of the nutrition pets need to stay glossy and active.

• Special formulas for almost any issue: Pro Plan makes cat food formulas designed to help with almost any issue a cat can develop, from sensitive stomachs to urinary tract health.

• Wet and dry food options: For picky eaters and cats that do better on a wet food diet, Pro Plan has a variety of options.

• No fad diets: Pro Plan creates food with pet health as the primary goal, avoiding gimmicks and trends.

• Kitten, adult and senior formulas: Pro Plan offers kitten food, food for adults one year and older, and for those eleven plus.

• Color-coded for easy shopping: Each food category is broken down by bag color to show which products are for health issues, picky eaters or general health.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Advisor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information