2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I have tried the Purina Pro Plan in the dry foods in different flavors for my cats, and they all loved it, but since my cats have developed urinary crystals from eating dry foods from all different brands and flavors, purchased from all the major pet companies, I have decided to take them off of dry foods completely after researching more into foods that are best for urinary health. I purchased Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Tract Health in canned, and only one of my cats ate the canned food. The others wouldn't eat it. My cats did vomit off of certain flavors of the dry food in the past made from Purina Pro Plan, but with other flavors they loved and had no problems.

Overall, you pay for what you get, is the reason higher quality foods are more expensive, but no matter how high quality the dry food is, it's not worth feeding dry foods to your cats. After researching the different foods, I reduced my overall five star for Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Tract Health to two stars mainly because of the ingredients used in to make it, and also because all my cats aren't eating it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I used to feed my cats all the foods from Pet Food Express, supposed to be "higher quality foods", then noticed that they were vomiting, had diarrhea with certain brands, and gained weight. Then my cats started to develop crystals and blood in their urine, which was a huge red flag for me, that these supposed "higher quality foods" were causing my cats to form crystals in their urine. Mentally, it was difficult for me to switch to the other brands like Hills Science Diet and Purina foods because I believed from reading some reviews that they weren't great quality foods. But my vet carries these brands, and vet professionals have informed me that these brands are great quality foods.

After researching the best foods for my cats, I decided to stick with Purina Pro Plan for Urinary Health foods because every time I have used Purina Pro Plan in both wet and dry foods (in different flavors and types), they have never failed my cats. They love the food, they haven't vomited or had diarrhea with any of the foods, they're able to maintain a healthy weight, and most important of all, they're not suffering from urinary issues, such as with crystals or infection.

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

For the past 13 years or more My cat were eating Pro Plan and the past year I observed that they are not eating like before and this month they are all vomiting the food. Is there a reason they stop making the True Nature?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I just bought a case of Gourmet Naturals to try to transition my girl cat to eat it...and also figured I would give my boy cat some too. I have read so many reviews about cats getting sick on Fancy Feast that I am wondering if I should throw it out. Unfortunately after I just started to transition my cat to eat this. I thought maybe since the naturals are pretty new maybe there would not be a problem with it. My girl cat has a problem with her stomach so I expect that maybe she may throw up but my boy could eat nails and it would not bother him so I could better judge as to how he reacts if it ok or not. Just really scared and concerned about my choice to use this food.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Contains carrageenan in the ingredients! This additive has been well documented as causing cancer in cats. Many cat food companies have removed this additive from its wet foods. (I don't believe it is contained in dry foods because CARRAGEENAN is a thickening agent.) I had been feeding it to my cats and just noticed the other day that it contains this additive. We consumers must read labels carefully (although the list of ingredients is difficult to read because of the very small print.) I am surprised that Purina would have this ingredient in their foods.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pro Plan Cat Food?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Started feeding Pro Plan Focus Salmon in 2014 after consulting a Purina sales rep at a pet store. Kitty loved it. After learning it had too many carbs bought more different brands of food. The male started getting tummy trouble. Female was okay. After a few months and a few different bags had to concede Pro Plan it is! Both Focus and Savour Salmon always a big hit. The only downside is the male put on too much weight with it but it's the only food they love and no tummy woes. Bought the shredded variety once but that upset the tummy but was giving a wet food too. So don't know which one exactly caused it so after buying expensive foods gourmet foods Pro Plan it still is. Wish they'd take the soy products out though.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I started my kittens on Purina Pro Plan Focus for Kittens Chicken and Rice flavor, based on my vet's recommendation, and purchased there. The first bag was very heartily eaten by both (non related) kittens and they thrived on it. I could not find it in my local stores, so I ordered from Amazon. One kitten will eat it though not as heartily, the other now refuses it. He also has developed severe, runny, foul diarrhea. I don't know if the Amazon bag was foul or not, but something is very wrong. He was gaining weight, very healthy, active, alert before I fed him the Pro Plan from Amazon. I do not know what to even try, now, other than making my own kitty food.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Followed the recommended amount of food for my cat's start weight alternating as advised. No additional food or treats given. My overweight cat gained weight (2 lbs to be exact) after three weeks on this plan. Discourage to see a weight gain gone back to prior vet recommended plan. My poor boy now has added weight to lose.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My cat is a very healthy cat. 2 days after eating this food, she had her entire butt caked in orange poop. This hasn't happened with other foods and yet I switch to this supposed "great" food and it is the worst experience I have ever had. I will never. Never buy this food again. Do not buy it for your cat if you care about them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Purina uses garbage from the landfill as "nutrients" in their pet food! This is why people are finding bugs and metal in the food! They also use road kill and euthanized pets! Boycott Nestle! They are evil! They bought out Purina and that's when the problems began! This cat food causes my cats to get sores and scabs all over their bodies and their hair falls out in patches!

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food author review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Created by Purina, one of the most trusted names in pet care, Pro Plan is a premium pet food with only one thing in mind - health. Pro Plan creates healthy blends and tempting flavors, all chock full of the nutrition pets need to stay glossy and active.

• Special formulas for almost any issue: Pro Plan makes cat food formulas designed to help with almost any issue a cat can develop, from sensitive stomachs to urinary tract health.

• Wet and dry food options: For picky eaters and cats that do better on a wet food diet, Pro Plan has a variety of options.

• No fad diets: Pro Plan creates food with pet health as the primary goal, avoiding gimmicks and trends.

• Kitten, adult and senior formulas: Pro Plan offers kitten food, food for adults one year and older, and for those eleven plus.

• Color-coded for easy shopping: Each food category is broken down by bag color to show which products are for health issues, picky eaters or general health.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Pro Plan Cat Food Company Information