3.30/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

Nutro Cat Foods

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

10 Nutro Cat Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

My cat has finally found a food that doesn’t make him sick. He has an extremely sensitive system and this is the only dry food that has helped his digestive system. No more vomiting or diarrhea. I thought I was going to lose him.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I adopted my cat from the Humane Society when he was 7 months old. When I first brought him home I noticed his breath was bad. I started him on dry food right away. As time passed I never noticed much change in his breath problem. Then one day I received a coupon in the mail for Nutro cat food so on my next trip to Walmart I bought a bag. The results have been amazing. After eating the Nutro for almost a year now my cat has blossomed into a very handsome fellow. His breath is not stinky anymore, his fur is like silk and he is one happy healthy boy. Thank you, Nutro.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I free feed dry food for both my personal cats and my fosters. I offer them three brands of cat food and the Nutro bowl is definitely the most popular. I have not experienced loose stools or vomiting with the Nutro Indoor adult cat food. I've been using it for about one year now. Thanks Nutro.

Original review: June 11, 2019

So, I recently purchased this product, believing it to be a premium pet food. Within the space of a week I have one kitty that has had diarrhea so bad her little bottom is raw, and the other kitty has stopped eating. A quick search of the internet, proves I am NOT an isolated case, seems many people have pointed a finger at this pet food... Only wish I had done a bit more research myself before I wasted money on this product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I fed NUTRO to my big old Maine Coon cat... Such a boy! He threw it up! I tried adding a half amount to his old food... He selected and ate only the "other" brand; leaving the NUTRO in his bowl! Then I tried just leaving the NUTRO in his bowl. He refused to eat! After 24 hours I gave up! Called NUTRO to complain about this bag of food. They gladly sent me a coupon for another bag of NUTRO! (I understand that once in a while... a bag of cat food might go bad due to weather, transporting problems, etc.). So I received the coupon in mid January 2019. I tucked in my purse and when the other brand was almost gone last Friday (02/15/2019) I went into a store to use the FREE BAG OF NUTRO! Coupon. It expired 01/31/2019!!! Man, was my face RED when the clerk wouldn't accept this EXPIRED COUPON!!! Who'd a thought this would be a two week Use it! or Lose it! Coupon???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Cat Foods?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I bought this because it was on sale and is the same flavor as the brand my cat was eating. The bag has a strange smell that I think carried over into the food. My cat would not eat it, and was eating a quarter of her normal amount of kibble. It was like putting her on a severe diet, which my vet says can be really bad for cats. After four days I went back to her normal brand and am going to donate what is left of this.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat's fur looks & feels like Velvet. She is very healthy! I contend that this highest quality food (Nutro Cat & Kitten dry food) is the reason she is so healthy and happy. The expense is worth every penny. I believe it is an investment for her health as she gets older.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The cats like Nutro Indoor. They also seem to have less solid stool that is not runny as happens with some other brands. Their breath also smells better than with some of the other brands.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

So I bought this cat food as a spur of the moment choice. I needed another bag of cat food, and I was trying to find something that I could buy at either my local grocery store or target vs PetSmart, which is where I was buying my food previously. So I was sitting in my local grocery store looking at all the cat food choices (which basically amounted to Purina and Iams and I refuse to feed my cat either of those) and I saw the Nutro Cat food section. I didn't have my phone, so I couldn't do any research on it, and ended up just buying it spur of the moment. It was about the same price as Science Diet (which was what I was feeding my cat before) but I wouldn't have to make a special trip just to get it. It also had normal shaped bits, which some food have the weird shapes and my cat chokes on those and it's not good.

Anyways I get it home and my cat would not leave it alone. I had already fed her that day but she was rather insistent and annoying about it so I gave her half a scoop of it and she devoured it and she's devoured it every time I've fed her ever since. Since I've bought it I've had time to do research on it and I like what I see. It has good meats and good grains in it and I've seen very very few times where it seems like switching the cat to the food has brought on adverse side effects. My cat certainly hasn't had any. All in all I will continue to buy Nutro and recommend it to anyone who asks me about it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

I tried the Nutro brand of canned cat food because my cats were getting sick of Natural Balance. After 2 cans each over 2 days they all had diarrhea and my 16 lb cat named Stinky developed pancreatitis. She is now at the vet's office getting IV meds. It is very bad and as of today they don't know for sure if she will be OK. I should have read more about your products because I see I'm not the only person who has experienced severe illness in their pets from your product. Obviously you could care less that you are selling a bowl full of death. I plan to review your awful food everywhere I can to prevent others from this issue as it is also obvious you do not care about your customers.

Nutro Cat Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

NUTRO Cat Food is a company that offers premium cat food with a variety of flavors and textures to cats in all life stages. Tailored by the experts at The Nutro Company, it contains natural ingredients with added vitamins, minerals and trace nutrients to deliver the high-quality nutrition cats need to stay happy and healthy. With no poultry by-product meal, soy protein, rice flour, corn, wheat or vitamin K3, NUTRO Cat Food is free from many of the ingredients that are known to cause allergies in cats.

• Fresh, natural ingredients: Dry food and wet loaf formulas contain real fish or poultry as the main ingredient.

• Variety of textures: Products are available in sliced, minced, soft loaf and chunky loaf textures.

• No artificial preservatives: All Nutro food contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

• Quality control measures: All ingredients are tested to ensure they meet established nutritional and food safety standards, and all finished products go through rigorous testing to confirm freshness, quality and stability.

• For all ages: Products are perfectly balanced to meet the dietary needs of indoor and outdoor kittens, adults and seniors.

• Best for: Indoor and outdoor cats, fussy cats and cats with specific health needs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Cat Foods Company Information