2. Pets
  3. Cat Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Nutro Cat Foods Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

My cat has finally found a food that doesn’t make him sick. He has an extremely sensitive system and this is the only dry food that has helped his digestive system. No more vomiting or diarrhea. I thought I was going to lose him.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I adopted my cat from the Humane Society when he was 7 months old. When I first brought him home I noticed his breath was bad. I started him on dry food right away. As time passed I never noticed much change in his breath problem. Then one day I received a coupon in the mail for Nutro cat food so on my next trip to Walmart I bought a bag. The results have been amazing. After eating the Nutro for almost a year now my cat has blossomed into a very handsome fellow. His breath is not stinky anymore, his fur is like silk and he is one happy healthy boy. Thank you, Nutro.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I free feed dry food for both my personal cats and my fosters. I offer them three brands of cat food and the Nutro bowl is definitely the most popular. I have not experienced loose stools or vomiting with the Nutro Indoor adult cat food. I've been using it for about one year now. Thanks Nutro.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Nutro used to have a very healthy wet cat food product line. Unfortunately, they made the decision a few months ago to replace their existing cans of food with new packages, called "perfect portion". It has been going down hill since then: the "perfect portion" products is packaged in plastic, not metal, which alters the taste of the food itself. Consequently, many cats refuse to eat it. In addition, their plastic containers are less eco-friendly than the old metal cans. In short, Nutro decided to move to the "perfect portion" packaging because it gave them an opportunity to increase their margin: cheaper container, and less food in it for a higher price than before. They just forgot one important piece in the puzzle: cats are notoriously finicky, and can't stand the new plastic packaging.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

i switched my female cat from Purina to Nutro dry cat food (indoor chicken) last month. Although she liked the taste, she has had diarrhea for a week now, and after a vet visit it seems they suspect it may be the food. I noticed Nutro has had more than a few recalls in the past 20 years, I will avoid it like the plague and recommend others really watch their cats on this food as it may also upset their gi system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Cat Foods?

Original review: June 11, 2019

So, I recently purchased this product, believing it to be a premium pet food. Within the space of a week I have one kitty that has had diarrhea so bad her little bottom is raw, and the other kitty has stopped eating. A quick search of the internet, proves I am NOT an isolated case, seems many people have pointed a finger at this pet food... Only wish I had done a bit more research myself before I wasted money on this product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I fed NUTRO to my big old Maine Coon cat... Such a boy! He threw it up! I tried adding a half amount to his old food... He selected and ate only the "other" brand; leaving the NUTRO in his bowl! Then I tried just leaving the NUTRO in his bowl. He refused to eat! After 24 hours I gave up! Called NUTRO to complain about this bag of food. They gladly sent me a coupon for another bag of NUTRO! (I understand that once in a while... a bag of cat food might go bad due to weather, transporting problems, etc.). So I received the coupon in mid January 2019. I tucked in my purse and when the other brand was almost gone last Friday (02/15/2019) I went into a store to use the FREE BAG OF NUTRO! Coupon. It expired 01/31/2019!!! Man, was my face RED when the clerk wouldn't accept this EXPIRED COUPON!!! Who'd a thought this would be a two week Use it! or Lose it! Coupon???

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I bought this because it was on sale and is the same flavor as the brand my cat was eating. The bag has a strange smell that I think carried over into the food. My cat would not eat it, and was eating a quarter of her normal amount of kibble. It was like putting her on a severe diet, which my vet says can be really bad for cats. After four days I went back to her normal brand and am going to donate what is left of this.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My cat's fur looks & feels like Velvet. She is very healthy! I contend that this highest quality food (Nutro Cat & Kitten dry food) is the reason she is so healthy and happy. The expense is worth every penny. I believe it is an investment for her health as she gets older.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The cats like Nutro Indoor. They also seem to have less solid stool that is not runny as happens with some other brands. Their breath also smells better than with some of the other brands.

Not sure about Nutro Cat Foods?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

Nutro Cat Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

NUTRO Cat Food is a company that offers premium cat food with a variety of flavors and textures to cats in all life stages. Tailored by the experts at The Nutro Company, it contains natural ingredients with added vitamins, minerals and trace nutrients to deliver the high-quality nutrition cats need to stay happy and healthy. With no poultry by-product meal, soy protein, rice flour, corn, wheat or vitamin K3, NUTRO Cat Food is free from many of the ingredients that are known to cause allergies in cats.

• Fresh, natural ingredients: Dry food and wet loaf formulas contain real fish or poultry as the main ingredient.

• Variety of textures: Products are available in sliced, minced, soft loaf and chunky loaf textures.

• No artificial preservatives: All Nutro food contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.

• Quality control measures: All ingredients are tested to ensure they meet established nutritional and food safety standards, and all finished products go through rigorous testing to confirm freshness, quality and stability.

• For all ages: Products are perfectly balanced to meet the dietary needs of indoor and outdoor kittens, adults and seniors.

• Best for: Indoor and outdoor cats, fussy cats and cats with specific health needs.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Cat Foods Company Information