Evanger's Pet Foods
3.61/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Evanger's Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

86 Evanger's Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 19, 2019

I feel this company is above and beyond any other. I have done a lot of my own research on various brands and I always come back to them. I have been using their canned food now for a few years and just started buying their dry food. They are a smaller company who care about our pets and what we feed them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Recently the Evanger's Meat Lovers Medley dry food appears darker in color and has a slightly different odor. I feel there has been a change in formula though Chewy says they have asked Evanger's and they say there is no change. I am concerned.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

My dog suddenly refused to eat her regular Evanger's Senior Weight Control chicken & rice canned dog food. My friend and I noticed it looked strange - much darker than in the past and had a different odor. I called Evanger's and spoke with their Quality Control lady who told me that the ingredients are the same, even though lot numbers on the bottom of the cans are different. She told me that both lot numbers show they were manufactured in the same plant. My dog will not eat the darker version with lot numbers beginning with 2118; however, she still will eat the original version, which looks like chicken, and contains lot numbers beginning with 1918. I now have to order it from Chewy by phone in order to make sure they ship the cans with lot number 1918; otherwise, I end up tossing it out and cooking a meal for my dog.

I have seen many other pet owners who have the same issue with this darker version, which obviously contains different ingredients than in the past, even though the company is denying this. I think the FDA need to take a look at this. A rep from Chewy told me that she found reviews showing that over 90 cats also refused to eat the darker version of this food. Sad, but I'm going to have to start looking for an alternate food for my dog. Disappointed in Evanger's after many years of using their food. (I owned a boarding kennel for 13 years, so have been loyal to them for a long time until now.)

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My friends and I have been feeding our Fur Babies Evanger's Wet Dog Food for years. In the past few months their recipes have changed. They must have changed packers. Supposedly hand packed cans are now horrible. I have to pick through and remove 20% of garbage from these cans. We have found lumps of FAT (20% or more per can), Veins & Arteries in the cans. Also, in the meat and Rice cans, the Rice is no longer pulverized. The long grains are not digestible. I should not have to use a food processor to do what Evanger's should already be doing. My friends and I used to buy 250 cans per month or 3000 per year. We are done. Emails have gone unanswered.

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2018

I emailed the company, and someone responded after 7-10 days, but my reply received something on the order of, "You aren't allowed to correspond with this person." (What?) So I called the company. I talked to a very knowledgeable person who assured me that there was nothing wrong with the batch, but something could've happened in the processing. (I read "cooking" from of that because the inside of the can lids were darkened like they had been exposed to too much heat.) He sent me a case of their "Chicken Lickin' Dinner", to make up for the case I took to the shelter. My cats like it a lot, and no longer drool over the original Evanger's I was feeding them, which is just as well because it's not a complete balanced diet for cats. I was most pleased with Evanger's response, and I'm glad to have this opportunity to clear up my negative first impression. I've tried several other kinds of Evanger cat foods, and so far my cats like them all.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

When one of my preferred cat foods went out of business, I started searching for a replacement. We sampled 6-7 different companies' products, and settled on Evanger's grain-free chicken for dogs and cats. They loved it, so I fed a can a week for 5-6 weeks, and then ordered a case. I don't know what happened, but they won't touch this stuff. I thought it could be a bad can, so I tried a second can, same thing. Now I'm out $40, and have a case of cat food to give to the shelter. I have not contacted Evanger's yet, but I'm going there now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evegner's Pet Supply?

Original review: May 7, 2018

My dog loves Evanger's Vegetarian. I have feed this to her for the three years since she rescued me and have been very pleased with the results. And it doesn't have the usual gross dog food smell!

Original review: April 29, 2018

Evanger's is only available at pet specialty shops because it is a high end product and my Akita's have maintained good health and great appearance so much so that my vet asked me what I feed them. They like it and it does not contain any crap - it's American made.

Original review: March 11, 2017

My dog loved this food (Evanger's pheasant dog/cat food) and so did I until: I fed my dog half a can one day. The next day I gave her the other half only to find a penny sized rusted steel slug on the bottom of the can! I know it was steel because I rinsed it off and could pick it up with a magnet! I am sure there were other bits and flakes of steel in that food when I looked at it and picked it apart! DO NOT feed your pet any of this food! I promptly emailed the company and of course got NO response at all. Then I filed a complaint with the FDA about this company and this incident. I would NOT recommend ANY type of food from this company at all... ever!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu. She has been a wonderful part of the family, She will actually be 10 March 26, 2017. As she ages, I have noticed it's been tough to find a quality, healthy food she likes. So, yesterday (2-17-17) I went to my local pet store and told the sales associate my problem. She was excited to give me a sample of Evanger's meat lovers medley for dry food and the chicken and rice canned pate' for the wet food. I always serve her breakfast, snack and dinner at the same time every day. So, yesterday at 5:30 P.M. I gave her a serving of the wet food. She is a pretty slow eater. Anyway, she seemed to enjoy the food as she finished it all. This morning, we got up as usual, I let her out to potty and she went pee and she pooped a little, but I noticed it was a little soft. So I made her breakfast, but she wouldn't eat it. About an hour later I noticed she began to shiver.

So I thought it was a little cold in the house so I turned the heat up. It's now up to 72 degrees in the house and she is trembling uncontrollably. So I Sat and held her wrapped in her blanket for an hour as she trembles. Now she is just laying around on my lap, not playing. While I was in the kitchen making the humans breakfast, she just laid on the kitchen floor by my feet trembling. 10 minutes later I looked down and poop was running out of her uncontrollably! 23 hours later she is right now laying on me and trembling about half as bad as she did earlier. She still hasn't eaten anything since last night and continues to feel weak, sad and probably hungry by now. I have read other comments stating their pet had the same symptoms from consuming the same food. Please help and let me know what I should do with the exception of discontinuing this line of food.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

My daughter recommended this dog food to me when I asked her about a good grain-free food for our English Setters after one of them became ill with cancer. I started with the wet grain-free rabbit and quail food and all three love it. Our female setter that is 11 years old is acting 2 years old again and our 8 year old male with cancer is full of energy too. It's a little more expensive but all three eat every drop and their allergies have disappeared as well. I'd recommend this brand to anyone. Great job Evanger's!

Evanger's Pet Foods Company Information