Evanger's Pet Foods
3.61/5
Based on 69 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Evanger's Pet Foods

84 Evanger's Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

When I moved to Portland the first thing on my list was find a store that had Bridgette's favorite Evanger's canned Hunk Of Beef. Nothing else would do! Like a pot roast in a can. Savory beef slow roasted in the can in its own juices...

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

We have been feeding Evanger's Canned and Dry foods for many years. I would like to contribute our pets long lives to a mix of this food, canned and dry. We feed the Meat Lovers dry and a complete mix of canned foods for our dogs. The cat eats the Grain Free kibble, but at age 19, much prefers canned to kibble. Thank you for helping take care of our family of fur-kids!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

My 9 year-old St. Bernard loves Evanger's canned pet foods. He has been eating it for over 8 years. Favorites are: Hunk of Beef, Salmon, Catch of the Day (Sardines), Duck and Sweet Potato, Chicken Thighs and Pork. He will not eat anything else, nor would I trust any brand other than Evanger's. His cinnamon coat is beautiful and he is exceptionally healthy for his age - I believe because he only eats Evanger's. Thank you for a high-quality pet food product!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

We spare no expense when it comes to giving our furry kids the best in nutrition. With one of our dogs having serious allergies, Evanger's grain free has help tremendously in variety while eliminating the itchiness. Bear is happy again!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I feed my two Labrador Retrievers (age 11 & 15) Evanger's canned food twice daily. They love the chunky chicken casserole and the hunk of beef varieties. My 15 year old dog's bloodworm and overall health is remarkable for a dog of his age. I have three cats, one of which is overweight. I feed them Evanger's pheasant kibble and different varieties of the against the grain cat food in both the tubs and the cans. My big guy has lost some weight and all three cats yell at me if I forget to give them their canned food before I feed the dogs in the evening. I'm grateful to have a pet food company that I can trust with the health of my animals and the proof is really in how much all five of them live and are thru I got on Evanger's foods. Great company. Wish there were more like them out there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evegner's Pet Supply?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

I've been using Evanger's Sweet Potato as a supplement with for my dogs' dinners. It has helped with digestion and trimmed a couple pounds off of both dogs. They love the taste and I love that the only ingredient is sweet potato. I tried finding a standard grocery store brand of sweet potato at first, thinking it would be cheaper, but grocery store sweet potato has tons of added sugar and other gross additives. As far as I know, Evanger's is the only brand who makes something like this. A household staple.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

I took my lab into the vet because he was having dizziness spells. They diagnosed him with equilibrium vestibular issues. I was very scared because he wasn't eating at the vet so they thought it was something much more serious. They gave him a few different foods and he would not eat any of them. Eventually they brought out Evangers canned food and Porsche went NUTS for it. He gobbled it down, I was so happy! The vets told me that is their "secret food" they use when dogs refuse to eat. The photos attached were actually taken at the vet clinic when they gave him Evangers. I am so grateful to have found this food as it potentially saved my dog's life. I'm a big believer in the food now! And Porsche is home with me now and doing well.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2015

Once realized my dogs skin and digestive problems were due foods made with any types of grains. I turned to a well recommend brand of dry food. But once a week we like to give him some wet food as a treat. I found EVANGER'S all natural beef to be just that. But now again for the 3rd time after feeding him this he began to vomit 3-x's within 2 hrs.

Dear Debra,

We are sorry to hear about your experience! Often times if a dog is not used to meat-rich food and devours it quickly, voluntary regurgitation may happen as a result of stomach upset from overeating, which is common with a sudden diet change. As this particular food is 100% fresh beef, most likely this is what happened as your dog solely ate dry food with canned as a treat once per week. We recommend that any time you introduce a new food, limit the portions for easier digestion.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

My dog and cat have both loved Evanger's food. My cat Binx likes to have different flavors of canned food so it's great that Evanger's has different protein options. My dog Kodi is a big fan of the Hunk of Beef! Both my dog and cat eat the Evanger's dry and canned foods and they have done great on them. I am happy to feed them a food they love that's a great quality food!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2015

We tried Evanger's dog food and our little 8 lb dog started having seizures. We switched to another brand and the seizures stopped. We tried a different can of Evanger's again thinking maybe it was not the food, the vomiting and seizures started again. We are contacting the FDA to file a report.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

We have a 13 year old Golden Retriever we have been feeding Evanger's Dry and wet can food for over 10 years now and we attribute his long, healthy life to the quality food products we have been buying from Evanger's. The average age for Golden's is 10-11 years, so we believe the Evanger's formulas have been instrumental in his longevity and have given him least digestive problems while also allowing for energy levels over and above most dogs his age!! WE highly recommend Evanger's for any breed of dog.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Evangers Hunk of Beef - I bought a can and opened it...pew! Smelled like road kill. Best buy date June 2013! What, now I have to read expiration dates on my dog's food! Will not buy this again. I have ordered Evanger's and it was great, but this is the second time I threw a can away that I bought at Pet Pals Santa Cruz!

Dear Mar,
    We are SO sorry to hear about your experience with the expired dog food. We have tried reaching out to you multiple times, but have not heard back. Will you please contact us?

Evangers

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

Meester kitty loves the rabbit variety and so does my roommate's cat. My roommate's cat deals with obesity so this is good that we have found a grain-free food that she enjoys and won't make her sick.

Resolution response: Oct. 28, 2015

After waiting several weeks for coupons that never showed up, I contacted Evangers and the following day I received a case of the food. It was much appreciated!

Original review: July 31, 2015

I found a cockroach in the can of food I opened to feed my cats. It was in one piece and well preserved, so I assume it was in the can when it was filled. The store I bought the food from has contacted Evanger's and we are hoping to hear back from them. This is very disappointing.

Original review: July 28, 2015

Second generation fed Evanger's kibble, canned & treats. Beautiful Newfoundlands. I see some negative but have only experienced positive results.

Original review: July 27, 2015

Both dogs had individual cans of food. Both vomited profusely. We then looked at the expiration date: October 2012. Yikes. Will bring back to the store but I hope Evanger's is NOT doing what they did a few years ago and sell old cans of products to the pet stores again.

Dear Alex,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience with expired food! If you contact us with your contact details, we are happy to replace the food for you. We would like to speak further with you about your experience, and again are sorry that your dog went through this.

Original review: July 24, 2015

I was feeding my cat, Missy, food packed by Evangers under the label Wild Calling for a couple months. Then last month she developed a horrific reaction to her food, kicking huge bald patches around her neck and shoulders with bumps all over and ulcerated skin. She is constantly looking outright panicked from seeming burning skin. I'm giving up on canned food switching to homemade food using quality sourced meat.

Dear M,

Thank you for your review, however, it should be directed to Wild Calling, not Evangers as that is not an Evanger's product. Nevertheless, we are sorry to hear about your cat. Have you seen a vet about this?

Original review: July 1, 2015

I found a piece of long very narrow plastic in a can of food. I sent photos of the item, they advised they will check it out with quality control. I received 4 coupons for discount on future purchases. I am very happy with this variety of their can dog foods, I have also bought the rabbit. My dog, a Maltese, is very allergic to many foods: Fish mix, pork, sweet potatoes, eggs, flax, kelp, beef, chicken, berries. It is very hard to find a food, wet or dry without those foods. I have been using this food for about nine months. My dog lost about 40% of her hair from being on ID products. Once I changed to Evanger's, her fur is now back to normal, the way it was before she had a pancreas attack back in 2012.

Original review: June 20, 2015

This food made my 2 German Shepherds very sick last night. They both lost function in their hind legs, very scary, an obvious neurological food poisoning. They ate late, about 10pm and had about 3 cans each, by 2am they were falling down and couldn't walk. This food is not cheap and the factory conditions that I've read about are absolutely disgusting. They have already been fined $168K, but they are still producing this poisonous crap. Don't feed this to your dogs!

Dear Vickie,

We have reached out to you many times through email and phone as we take the safety of our foods very seriously, but have had no response. We tested the foods you used by a lab, and the test results came back as sterile for both samples, had a negative result for any growth, good pH levels and no swelling of the can. After speaking with your Vet, he indicated to us that the cause for your dogs' sickness was related to eating mushrooms. We hope the dogs are doing well, nevertheless.

Original review: May 30, 2015

I have recently purchased the dog dry food by Evangers. I never knew they even had dry dog food, I was so impressed with the added probiotics and the glucosamine and chondroitin. I bought the Grain Free Chicken and Sweet Potato because it is for all dogs (old and young) and my dogs love sweet potato! After reading the ingredients and seeing my pets gobble it up, I am convinced that they will be known for more than their canned dog food very soon. It's just harder to find the dry food. My dog simply loves Hunk of Beef.

Original review: April 27, 2015

When my shih-tzu rescue dog developed a sensitive stomach I used to go to the veterinarian's office to purchase their medical grade dog food. I became tired of the time involved as well as the expense, so one day I purchased Evanger's lamb and rice dog food dinner. Much to my surprise, my dog loved it and it worked as well as the vet's food to alleviate her stomach woes. I thought that other dog owners would like to know that they don't have to rush to see their vets, but should try Evanger's lamb and rice when their dogs have sensitive stomachs.

Original review: April 8, 2015

Last night my 5-month old puppy ate Evanger's canned food with his dinner, and shortly after couldn't stand up. I brought him to the ER and they said he had some kind of poisoning. They asked if he had gotten into anything. He hadn't left our property that entire day and we could find nothing that he got into. They said the exposure would have been shortly before becoming sick. The only thing we can figure is that it is related to the dog food. I had the vet collect blood samples and I have saved the remainder of the food in the can. $600 vet bill. Any recommendations about where to send the samples? Also, has anyone seen this story about the fraud case against Evanger's?

Original review: March 13, 2015

I have 2 dogs with extremely sensitive stomachs. I've tried several brands of high quality dog food, including Acana, Merrick, Honest Kitchen, etc. and nothing seemed to settle well with them. I got a tip from a friend to try Evanger's. I emailed the company to see if I could get some advice on what foods to choose. I got some great advice from them on choosing the Pheasant and Sweet Potato dry kibble mixed with Evanger's canned Sweet Potato. They explained to me exactly how to transition them to the new food. After almost a year, I can confidently say that my dogs are thriving on this food! Absolutely love it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I feed my dog Orijen and usually mix in a little Merrick's wet food. I recently picked up a few cans of Evanger’s hunk of beef and have been mixing a little with the dry food. This evening I opened a can of Evanger’s hunk of beef and started to mix a bit into the dry.. and I smelled an awful smell.. The can of food was rancid so glad I did not feed that to my beautiful boxer. I threw it out and will let the store that I purchased it from, know. I told my husband and he found the reviews so I am posting mine.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I purchased Evangers Organic chicken for my two rescue poms. It was recommended at the pet store. I buy my dog food and reading the label, there were so few ingredients that I bought some, happy at the price. At first I thought they had some kind of flu as they both were sick. My gal had diarrhea and my male kept spitting up his food hours after eating. After a week it occurred to me that it might be the food and stopped and went back to Weruva... their symptoms went away.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

Evanger's really has never worked for my dogs - from dry to canned; however they really like the Hi Bio semi moist this co. makes. Well, I bought a sm sized bag of the Hi Bio this past month, and as I was going to serve my dogs, I saw something shiny in the food, so I put it back on my table to examine what exactly it was. First of all, it was in the food - inside the actual piece of food - not around it, not mixed in the bag, no - it was actually processed inside the food (the piece of semi moist kibble). I began picking at the piece and I broke a li'l corner off on the food - I pulled out this unidentified object, which turned out to be a piece of a thin plastic bag like material - which was INSIDE THE ACTUAL PIECE OF FOOD!! This piece of thin plastic bag like material could have gone into my dogs stomach!!

I'm thankful that it didn't. I went thru the whole dish to see if there were anymore pieces of plastic - I indeed did find some more - I found about 7 pieces total in this sm size bag - all inside the actual pieces of food. Sizes range from small (not as noticeable) to large (very noticeable). I contacted Evanger's customer service via email about 1 week ago - nobody has replied - I left my email and my phone number - nothing. I raised awareness on dogfoodadvisor.com as they put out recalls - asking how to notify the FDA. They let me know how. That's my next plan of action since Evanger's doesn't seem to care about their dog consumers or else they would have replied back to me which they still haven't. (For ppl who feed their dogs this kind of Evanger's - I found it in the Chicken flavor. I've never bought the Hi Bio Beef so I'm not sure if these shards of plastic are in that food either).

I can't wrap my head around how shards of plastic could find their way into a dog food. Is it employee error or is plastic the secret ingredient to their food? I did take a picture of the largest shard I found - I hope it uploads. I outlined a box on orange paper and placed the shard on the inside of it for all to see. I was unable to return my product due to being more than halfway thru the bag when I discovered it.

Dear Mary,
    Once we had the opportunity to reach out to consumers directly through this site, we reached out to you and haven't heard back.

We are so sorry about this!!! Did you ever hear back from us? I was not able to do a search on any communication as I don't know your contact information, but we want to make things right, even though it has been a long time since the incident. Please let me know if there was any resolution, and if not, we would like to work with you about it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I have a Pomeranian that I switched his food over to origin with Evanger's canned dog food. Less than a week he stopped eating it and was vomiting three to four times a day. Horrible product!!!!! Beware to consumers...

Original review: July 12, 2014

First, I ordered a case of the 22 oz. Chicken canned food directly from their online store. After two weeks, I emailed them to check the status of my order. I received a confirmation of their receipt of my inquiry, but the response never arrived. I called and left a voice message for Bret ** and he failed to return my call. Three weeks - I called and emailed to cancel my order and failed to receive a response. Ten days later, my card is charged and I call immediately to ask why, if I cancelled my order, did they process it. No response. Receive the food.

Second, the dogs don't like it and the cats refuse to eat it. I file a complaint with the BBB, and Bret finally responds to that with mumbo-jumbo and false information. He promises to send a case of food. Of course, it's been over two months and nothing received. The BBB reopened my complaint. Finally, Evanger's needs to be shut down - their food manufacturing standards are suspect and their customer service is unresponsive and when forced to respond, completely dishonest. I have advised all my friends not to buy anything manufactured by this company.

Dear Ms. Dennis,

We are sorry for your negative experience with our company. Looking back through the correspondence, we sent an email when you emailed us through our web form and said there was no content in the body of your email. Later we emailed you again that we could not cancel the order as it was being delivered the next day. Brett emailed you offering either a refund or free product replacement, but received no reply. We are happy to send you replacement product for the dissatisfaction.

Original review: July 9, 2014

I was in the ER last night because my dog was vomiting, drooling, and didn't want to get up. Thankfully he is okay, $400 later, and it seems he ate something that made him sick. I originally thought it was something he picked up from his walk, but now I am convinced it was from the Nothing But Natural Pheasant Jerky Treats. I actually threw out the half of the jerky bag we had been using and just opened a brand new one I bought the other day. THE WHOLE BAG IS MOLDY. Perhaps there is an issue with these treats?

Original review: June 30, 2014

Evanger grain free jerky treats - opened sealed bag last night. Gave shin tau one treat. This morning when my husband went to give another one, it was moldy. Will make treats at home from now on. Will be watching my dog for illness.

Evanger's Pet Foods Company Information