3.68/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Dog Chow

Looking for a good dog food brand?

237 Purina Dog Chow Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 12, 2019

Purina Dog food and puppy food is by far the best brand pet food to buy. I have used it for many years and have had many puppies and dogs and they all do very well on it. I don't buy any other brand dog food usually.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My dog is an American Terrier Pit Bull. I got her from a rescue shelter so I had no way of knowing what food she was accustomed to. I began using Purina Adult mix. She has always liked it and I believe it to be a healthy brand. If I should give her anything but Purina then she gets very loose stools. When I change back to Purina then she seems more content and at ease when going for a walk.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My dog loves the food. I chose it because of the ingredients...there are no legumes or corn fillers. It was recommended by a veterinarian. The only downside is that it is somewhat difficult to buy in stores where I live, so I've been buying it from Chewy.com.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My min-pin loves the special chunks in the mix, so much so that he carries a mouthful out of his room to the room we are sitting in to eat it there. He never has stomach issues while eating this brand. The fact that it is dry seems to help keep his teeth clean. Being dry makes it possible to be on constant feed.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I own American Bulldog which does not seem to like any dog food that I buy. If I mix can dog food in with the kibbles She will eat and enjoy it seems. I’m still looking for a better tasting dog food for her.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: April 8, 2019

It’s not the cheapest but it is close to it. It doesn’t give my dog bad smelly gas like other ones in the same price range. I can’t pronounce some of the ingredients so it can’t be too good for my dogs. My dog eats it so I like it.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I really love this food for my pets. My only complaint would be that my dogs will pick out the meat chunks and leave the kibble. Other than that it seems to be a hit. I can tell that their coats are getting shinier and no more itchy dry skin.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Purina dog food has good ingredients/vitamins!!! We have fed our dog Purina would he was a puppy and now he is a senior!!! The price is right!!! And for his 11 yrs of life still likes to go out with mom while I hang clothes on the clothesline!!! Love my lil guy!!!

Original review: April 5, 2019

For 35 years I've been using Purina dog and cat food products and have always been highly satisfied. I believe the good health and longevity of my cats and dogs can be attributed to Purina nutritional products.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We buy the Purina Beyond Simply 9 dog food and love it! It's easy to read the ingredients and is a reasonable price. It can be hard to find in some stores, but overall we've been very happy with this brand.

Original review: April 3, 2019

They are the only brand that I could find that carries lamb and rice. I've had several dogs with digestive issues and it's one of the few that they could eat without issues. Plus, my vet said that it was one of the better brands.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Like different shape and color of ingredients, makes it look like mixed up food. Size could be smaller. King loves to eat and licks the bowl. Large bag is hard to open. Need to cut with knife/scissor.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Ok...grew up in country and it was always Purina to the rescue. My dogs have all thrived...especially with more modern researched product lines. Great quality for the value? I'm just a satisfied customer so why do I have to ramble on??

Original review: March 27, 2019

Purina dog food has been around for many years, and has Vitamin K in the food! These other dog foods are talk, and no show! They all claim to be the best, are they?? Most of them do not have Vitamin K in them! I think people just like to out do each other, and forget what is best for their dog, or cat! Remember, your animal comes first!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have a 14 month old German Shepherd who I've fed Purina dog food her entire life. However I've always made sure it was just chicken! Because she's allergic to beef. Had been feeding her Purina complete care “chicken” however lately she's not wanting to eat it and she's starting to lose weight, getting dry skin and extremely!! Itchy and just miserable! So I decided to double check the ingredients and of course there's BEEF FAT!! In the food. Why would you put BEEF FAT! In a food that says chicken!? Now I'm having to give her ** to stop her itching and am slowly giving her a different food. My point being do not! Say it's a complete care chicken! If it's got beef in it. Talk about false advertising! I will never feed any kind of Purina product to any of my animals again or recommend it to anyone. I guess the saying "you get what you pay for" is definitely correct in this case. I may be on a budget but no more low end dog food for my pets.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We adopted our little guy from the local humane society when he was 4 months old (now 1). They fed him Purina Pro Plan so we kept him on it. He gradually started getting really sick & refused to eat. Took him to the vet & he was fine eating their prescription canned food. After that ran out, we gave him Purina again. He refused to eat it. I even put a little water in it. I decided to start a new food (natural/grain free) and he’s 100% better. He’s excited again to eat, jumps up & down at mealtime, more energy. I know it was this dog food. I feel bad for giving it to him all this time when it was making him miserable.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My experience with Purina Puppy Dog Chow has been a horrible experience. My poor 3 month old puppy keeps throwing up and having diarrhea. She hasn't been acting her usual playful self - just lays there not wanting to run around and play with my sister's older dog. I'm just very upset.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have 3 large poodles, one of whom is nursing a litter of pups. I bought a bag of Purina Prime Cuts instead of their regular brand hoping to save some money. One dog developed vomiting and diarrhea with lethargy. One developed diarrhea with lethargy. The third dog did not eat much of it, so she is fine. However, I mix the dry food with canned Pedigree varieties. Otherwise, I believe my dogs would have gotten much sicker, and they are still sick. Up all night trying to catch them when they needed to go outside before another accident. This morning it's chicken and rice for them, and the bag of Purina Dog Chow goes in the trash after I contact their address on the bag! Do not try to save a buck and end up with sick dogs. Now I'm worried about the pups too. I purchased this bag at Dollar General.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have 2 elderly dogs, one is a small Terrier/Cocker mix and the is a full Cocker Spaniel. Was in a rush and instead of going and getting my usual expensive dog food from PetSmart I grabbed a small bag of Puppy Chow to help me get to the weekend. 2 feedings in my smaller dog started having diarrhea, gagging, vomiting, shivering, and the weirdest thing was she would just lie down wherever you put her. This dog is sooo active, tail always wagging usually, the sudden change scared me. The larger dog having issues with loose bowels. Went online and found all these horrible reviews. I know it's this stupid cheap food. Going straight to PetSmart and will feed rice for dinner as I read on here to help settle tummies.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I regret of using Purina Dog Chow for a change on my retriever who is suffering from loose bowel and dehydration right now. Will take him to the vet first thing in the morning. Thought it would be a great change and will keep him healthy but it's totally opposite of it. I will never recommend this product to anyone who wants their paws to be healthy.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have always been a loyal Purina brand supporter. I used to haul corn into their dog food plant in Edmond, Oklahoma. I know how strict they are on product that they put in your dog food. Good. After feeding my dog Puppy Chow he started getting lethargic - had severe diarrhea gas. I did not think it would be the dog food since I know the quality control that Purina has so I continue to feed my dog 15 lb bag the Puppy Chow. I was ready to have him put to sleep because he couldn't hold his bowels. We tried ** probiotic. I changed his dog food and after the first feeding his stool stiffen back up. He is more energetic now - eating good, sleeping good, no more whining, no more biting at his tail. I will never purchase Puppy Chow again. I did however purchase another Purina brand call Beneful Healthy Weight. He seemed to do real good on it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been a loyal Purina Dog Chow user from puppy chow when young to adult food. Noticed that lately my dogs, I have three, have slowly been eating less and less. With them being lethargic and vomiting. They all have had health issues lately - rashes and infections, urinating blood and high liver counts. The smell of the dog food I have noticed, turns my stomach and smells sour. Because of this we have started the change to new food. We have noticed a change in less than a week. They have stopped vomiting and their coats are looking better.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased a 4 lb bag of Purina puppy chow instead of the regular brand. Fed it to my pup for supper. By the next morning he had very loose bowel and was extremely lethargic. Didn't consider it may be the food so I fed it to him again. By the evening he was even more lethargic, loose bowel, slowly walking in circles nipping at his tail instead of playfully running around like his normal self. Both eyes are weak and one is barely open. He seems to be off balance. He won't bark or play just quietly whimpers all of a sudden. After reading the other reviews and consider the rapid onset, I'm convinced it's the Purina dog food as nothing else in terms of exposure has changed. Mind you in less than 24 hours my pup is having a negative reaction after eating Purina. Prior to he was as happy and energetic as any healthy would be. Very upset and highly disappointed Purina!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have a husky and he is about 5 months old. Tried every food including Blue Wilderness, Blue Buffalo. Everything made him sick until I got him Puppy Chow. He absolutely loves and my vet loves it! Thanks Puppy Chow!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have 3 large dogs who are relatively healthy, 2 are pit bulls and 1 a pit bull St. Bernard MIX, due to circumstances I was forced to switch dog foods due to costs of previous food, so I introduced them to Purina dog chow mixed with their other food and they handled the transition wonderfully but then seen that Purina makes adult dog chow complete beef, so I DID the same thing on introducing this food to them. Now I'm just feeding them the adult dog chow complete beef and they are sick!!! Throwing up piles of food, phlegm and gagging, so I had them checked out and was told to give them rice cooked in chicken broth to settle their tummies. Ok did that and slowly reintroduced the dog chow again following the vet's instructions.

Now they're all 3 throwing up, gagging, large amounts of loose stools! Shame on you Purina. This food is killing animals while making others so sick, costly vet bills, constantly cleaning up after them and watching them suffer! Someone in your manufacturing plant is mixing something wrong or are purposely poisoning our dogs! I want action taken! Boycott Purina, Purina you are accountable for this, if it was just 1 or 2 dogs I'd say no but there are several possibly hundreds of sick dogs out there all because of your dog food. I'm so upset and feel like a horrible pet mom because I trusted this company not to hurt my babies! No more Purina. I rate you minus a million.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I purchased a bag of Puppy Chow and after a few hours my dogs began to vomit and become extremely sick. He couldn't keep anything down. My dogs became extremely lethargic and dehydrated. I had to get a bottle of Pedialyte and keep them hydrated. I pulled food from him for 12-24 hrs and began to see improvement. I gave them rice with no season and they were able to keep it down without incident. I fed them again the same dog food and yet again the vomit started. This is terrible. With this many complaints this food is still being sold in stores to continue to make other pets sick as well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My mother dog has been very sick from Purina Puppy chow. Gave it to the pups and they also threw it up. Not good... Recall needed... This use to be a good food for mother dogs. Now I would not recommend it at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I just want to say I wish I never switched to this dog food. I have 4 furbabies who I love dearly and yes I fell terrible for switching their food 1 week ago. I am glad I caught it early. I started noticing two of my dogs were gagging/coughing a lot last night and now today those two would not touch that food. My other two dogs were still eating it up...loved it. Tonight I decided to check the kibble and I found LITTLE FRAILS OF WIRE sticking out of the food! I am beyond sick about this. Please no one dare feed this to your pups. I have thrown the whole 40lb. Bag in garbage! I bought off Amazon $19.99. I will return to the more expensive food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Bought puppy food and it has mold. Store refused to refund my money. I've used Purina for over 20 years and never had a problem till now. I would never use them again. Can't poison my babies. Stop buying Purina.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been giving my dogs Pedigree for over 25 years and I thought I would give this brand a try since they were giving a rescue a donation per bag. At this point since I found bailing wire (a wrapped up bundle) before it caused my dog any harm I can say I will never buy this brand again.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information