3.62/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

237 Purina Dog Chow Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Purina brand dog food for a long time. I have tried others, but none of them seem to satisfy my dogs' appetites. There are several different types of Purina dog. My dogs eat the Purina One True Instinct. My dogs have sensitive skin and it is hard to keep it at bay. Sometimes it even pops out with the Purina. But I have tried several other brands and they all seem to aggravate my dogs' skin.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We've fed Purina Puppy Chow, since we've had them & our newest 10 year old blind Mini Pin, that we've had for 6 months now, is on it & she has beautiful fur, has started playing again & doing so much better since her rescue! Our other Mini Pin little boy, was rescued at 9 months & is now 5 years! He has come a long way & is playful, with a beautiful coat & healthy, because of Purina Puppy Chow!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We have a range of dogs from medium (Keeshond) to small (Pomeranian) and a range of ages 6 to 12(?)*. We use Purina Salmon-based Sensitive Systems. It is a small enough kibble for the poms, but substantial enough for the Kees. We supplement the kibble with a homemade chicken-Sweet Potato-Veggie wet mix. The dogs love this diet and have regular well-formed stools. The only reason we would change would be if the food became unavailable. It is getting somewhat hard to find.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My dog always liked the food so I did not change to a less expensive food. Unfortunately he had to be put down due to liver dysfunction, pancreatitis, and gall bladder involvement. Vet could not pinpoint the cause. He was 11 and had no signs of illness. Everything culminated in matter of 3-4 days. The vet bill would have been close to 15K plus he would have been on a feeding tube. All this caused by the food? We don't know.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have fed my dogs and cats Purina foods and treats for over 35 years and have always had very healthy and happy animals. My vet as well as any vet I have talked to over my lifetime have always recommended and approved of Purina products. And my pets love the foods and treats, either canned or dry. They are of the highest quality and always made in the USA. Feeding Purina has kept my animals very healthy. And well into senior years. My husky lived to be 16 about and very happy and healthy. And that is not uncommon for my babies at all. Like I said well into their senior years. My poodle is 15 and no health issues at all, still runs and plays. My cat is 17 and again in top health and very active.

My vet as well as myself attribute this to the excellent nutrition they receive by eating Purina pet foods and treats 100 percent complete nutrition for every stage of life and every activity level. They even have special diets and foods for dogs with food allergies or sensitive stomachs. I love this product, I love this company and their customer service cannot be beat to the best of my knowledge, they have never had a recall on a product that I can ever remember. In my years of experience and I am over 65 and had pets as long as I can remember. Purina has never let me or my babies down from very young animals to very old ones simply the best company and foods on the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: April 27, 2019

About a 10 days ago I bought Purina Chow. Stated Real Beef and Rice. Tender Crunchy. I usually buy Purina trying the different types to find what my dogs actually like. 1.5 year old Husky and 7 year old Blue Pit. Ever since I have been feeding them this puppy chow they have been throwing up all over my house. It's a 36 lb bag. There is probably 5 or 6 lbs of it left. Yesterday morning I bought different food even though there's still enough for them for a few more days. Figured the vomiting started same day they were fed the puppy chow. Tender and crunchy and hoped that it was the food otherwise I was gonna have to take them to my vet. Gratefully they haven't thrown up since I stopped feeding them this Purina puppy chow: (healthy start nutrition tender & crunchy real beef and rice food).

I also checked the sell by date. It's supposed to be good till March 2020... So why - when I have been feeding my animals Purina products since Purina has existed. It's a fairly cheap pet food but it's not the bottom of the barrel. I've bought cheaper food like Dollar General or Family Dollar brands 'cause I was a couple dollars short to get the Purina and my dogs would just turn their nose up at it and not eat for days till I got them Purina. So why did my dogs get sick from this particular Purina? They seemed as they enjoyed eating it. And I also only feed my dogs/pup one cup of food at a time. Three/four times a day. My dogs don't eat and eat and eat till they throw up. Their vomit was half to three fourth digested food.

I also have a few cats and ran out of cat food on Wednesday April 24th 2019, wasn't able to get cat food till Friday April 26, 2019, so my cats happily ate the puppy chow. As they do every time I run out of cat food they happily eat the dog food, as they do every time I run out of cat food... They got sick all the sudden after eating the puppy chow and was throwing up all over my house till Friday when I was able to make it to the store. As soon as they got different food they all stopped vomiting. What should I do? Anyone else have this issue.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I find Purina One varieties to serve my dogs' needs at a reasonable price point and decent ingredient list. They receive compliments on their health and appearance every time they go anywhere as service dogs.

Original review: April 25, 2019

There are certain dog foods one of my dogs won't eat but this one Shadow will, for whatever reason. I'm not crazy about the ingredients. The really "good" you're supposed to feed them to, way too expensive!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I like the Purina dog food adult brand, esp the 52 lb bag. Great value! My dog likes it as well. Definitely a great brand, and cost wise as well. Your dog will like Purina dog food too! Great buy!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I like that I can buy a bulk bag at Sam's club. The price is better than if I buy it at a regular pet store or a grocery store. It’s the main reason for the brand.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I like the look and the option for healthy weight. Most importantly- my dog loves it, and it does not cause any gastro-intestinal upset. What appeals to me is not as important as its appeal to my fur baby.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Walmart in my area very rarely has the Purina Puppy Chow in stock. I feel it is ok as a brand. Always want to eat it. Chemicals and preservatives are a real concern in any processed foods. I want my animals to have the vitamins and minerals they NEED, not just the minimum.

Original review: April 22, 2019

My dogs love Purina's Pedigree. They stay healthy. I free feed (I just fill up the big pan and let them eat whenever they want) and they do not overeat nor is anyone overweight. I have tried this with other foods that cost more and it was a disaster. Picking up the residue in the yard is also good, solid, formation. No digestive problems. Their coats are excellent, teeth in good condition, good vet report on general health.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I've used Purina Pro Plan for years. It contains all of the essential nutrients and vitamins my dogs need; they regularly get good checkups with the vet. They come in several different flavors and designed for differing age groups.

Original review: April 21, 2019

My dog seems to love this dog food. She eats it right up. It is a good cost and coupons are available. It is readily available in my area and I don't live near large stores so this is a big help. Being name brand makes me comfortable using it.

Original review: April 20, 2019

We have had 2 large dogs (1 lived to be 14) & the other is 10. Have had no problems with the can or dry food. Both dogs have been extremely healthy & never turned down the food. Have tried other brands, they did not like. I don't believe in changing food especially after a certain age.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Puffy has allergies and a skin condition that is associated with her allergies. For 10 years I had been feeding her Cesar’s and the vet ask to take her off. Then I tried the Purina Bella Dog Food. I love it. I even do the auto ship. We just can’t live without it. She skin is also beautiful. The change was very beneficial and weight is the ideal weight.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have used Purina for every puppy and dog I have had. The only trouble is finding the pouch wet food for puppies at local stores. They only order a few at a time. You have to run to different stores or order online.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We have small dogs (20 pounds) and we like the small size. They also have a small bites version that is even better. They have also recently come out with a grain free product. We just bought it for the first time very recently.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My dogs seem to love it. They eat it all and are in good shape. They are working dogs. Guard dogs for sheep and need all the energy they can get. The price is very competitive with other brands. I am especially grateful for the size selection. I have one dog who wants the big dog nuggets and one that wants the small nuggets.

Original review: April 17, 2019

It's a great dog food and my dog want eat any other kind, he likes the soft morrels in it. It's a great value. Just wish it would come in a bigger bag at my store. My dog has more energy and a shiny coat.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have a very finicky Boxer. I have tried dozens of pet foods. Purina One is excellent. He prefers the lamb and it is an excellent food and he loves it. I would highly recommend this product and will continue to use.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Our family member, (90# American Bulldog) seems to enjoy the taste and size of the morsels in the food. We give her Purina SmartBlend, True Instinct. We try to avoid foods with lots of fillers due to her perceived allergies.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have gone through a lot of dog foods in my effort to find food that my dogs will eat. By itself the food won't get them to their bowls. So I will put in Pedigree soft can food. This will help out in getting them to eat. But the wet food looks horrible and the dry food reminds me of rocks.

Original review: April 16, 2019

For some reason Purina Alpo Savory Juices is no longer available in 31406. It is preferable to "Gourmet Gravy" because it is solid rather than chunks in liquid. This means less residue in the dog dish, so less cleanup after. I used to buy all my Alpo in Petsmart, but the lack of availability of the Savory Juices line has put an end to that.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Purina One is what we feed both dogs, they both eat different flavors. One of our dogs is more picky than the other. She might not eat for a couple of days, but she always eventually does eat. On this dog food both dogs are extremely active and their coats are shiny and healthy. The veterinarian says they are very healthy.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Too dry for dog taste but needs more moist ingredients to taste better... better health. Dog isn't that happy but she eats anyway. Would rather give her combo of moist and dry.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I love the price and I love that I can pick one where the first ingredient is chicken. Oh yea, and also I love that they have different size of food. Like for small and big dogs. They don’t discriminate. Not even with the prices.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Check ingredients for what is best for your dog. I have used Purina for over 50 years and have never experienced a problem. My dogs have been very healthy, few vet visits and had good skin, nails, teeth and emotional health.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I pay $26.00 for a bag and kibbles and bits is like $12.00 a bag, I try to feed my dogs healthy dog food, not full of fillers. I hope I make the right choice for my dogs. I would love to find a better priced dog food but with good quality.

Purina Dog Chow expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Purina Dog Chow is one of the best-known dog food brands. Its products can be found in most supermarkets and pet stores.

• Easy to find: This pet food is easily available and can be purchased almost anywhere.

• Food for different stages: Dog Chow has a puppy, adult and senior version of its foods, so you can get the right food for your dog as his needs change.

• Variety of food types: You can get a variety of foods for different types of dogs,such as a light, healthy chicken mix for overweight adult dogs or a high protein formula for active senior dogs.

• Lots of resources for puppies: In addition to puppy food, there's information on the company website about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy.

• Options for dogs with special needs: Dog Chow offers special formulas for dogs on high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat and other special diets.

• Special formulas: Purina also has special veterinary formulas to help dogs with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information