1.74/5
Based on 159 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good dog food brand?

176 Purina Dog Chow Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We have been feeding Purina Dog Chow to our dogs for over 18 years. All of a sudden our 3 German Shepherds are throwing up piles of dog food and stomach bile. Headed to the vets today! PURINA RECALL YOUR FOOD!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Two months ago (June 30, 2018) my dog had a full panel blood test and Xrays. Note: We started the Purina One SmartBlend lamb and rice after our dog's labs. Kidneys and internal organs were normal. Two months later my dog was not eating, drinking water but only sleeping. I felt something was wrong so I took him in to get checked out. It turns out he now has kidney disease. Creatinine and BUN levels were elevated or off the charts. Creatinine was 7.3 when ranges should be .5-1.8 and BUN was greater than 130 when levels ranges 7-27. Phosphate was 14 when ranges 2.5 - 6.8. Now we are giving our dog IVs and know our dog will die soon. The Purina One was the only changes we made with our dog. Now he's suffering and we are heartbroken that they will give this dog food to animals. Is there a lawsuit out there or planning to remove this from the shelf? I heard this food is process out in China.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Just went through an entire week of struggling to keep our 6 month old German Shepherd puppy alive. She tested negative for parvo, but had vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools. Drank water, but vomited it up. We brought her to the vet, tons of medication, IVs daily. She started feeling better this past Friday. Last night, I let her have a handful of kibble and this morning, she was vomiting again. All the Purina is going in the trash! All my dogs eat this brand, even the canned version, my older dogs have been turning it down lately and not eating much. So I assume it was making them feel bad as well, just not as sick as it made the puppy. I don't know what has changed, I've used this brand for years. But not anymore! This has been an exhausting, horrible week. Purina, please, pull your product again, find out what's going on.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My dog a 3 year old Mini Australian Shepherd who is always healthy (no problems or concerns with the vet after any visit), active (5 mile hikes, 1.5 mile walks in the evening before bed, frisbee player), and just a characteristic dog... until just a few days ago. I gave the Purina healthy weight dog food to manage his weight with him being slightly overweight. Everything was fine. Then suddenly in 1 week of switching his food, he wasn't being himself. Whenever he would lay down, he would dig at the blankets while crying and spinning in circles, then he would stretch and continue to lick anything that was in front of him excessively. He had a very dry mouth.

Took him to the vet showed the videos of his "episode" and how frequently they were happening from 12am-4pm there was 3 episodes. Then on the 30 min ride to the vet he had 3 in the seat of my car. He would still play with the other dog, run around the yard and chase birds, but it wasn't as much as he normally did on an everyday basis. Something was wrong, and it was something major. The vet then diagnosed him with seizures. A PERFECTLY healthy 3 YO dog, up until this point after giving him that terrible dog food! HE is now on **, with bad effects to the liver, that will need to be monitored through bloodwork. PLEASE do not give this dog food to your pets.

As a vet assistant, I researched and read how wonderful Purina is a great brand of food, healthy, etc. to make sure I was giving my dog a food good for him only to have this happen. I couldn't imagine the vet bills without my discount of working at a Vet hospital. Everyone can be misinformed. But this food shouldn't be able to be sold anymore but because the company is made of $$$ they can just pay their way off these terrible things happening to pets. Every pet can be different, but I think it was the amounts of Propylene Glycol that Purina uses in their foods, is what was setting him off. The dog food is the ONLY thing that I changed for this to happen.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Dogs have been fed this for couple years because of cost of feeding 2 large dogs on a fixed income. Experienced some issues as I recall in the beginning such as diarrhea but attributed that to switching brands. Just lost dog yesterday... she had to be euthanized and emergency vet said it appeared to be toxin ingestion. I believe it’s directly related to this latest bag as this is when symptoms began: violent diarrhea until food was withheld for 36-48 hours & she bounced back happy & perky as when she was a puppy. Then last evening very soon after eating 2 cups of this she began standing around panting as if she was hot and went out briefly but came right back in & collapsed vomiting everything on her bed and own paw and her symptoms worsened quickly as we rushed her to emergency hospital.

I believe the last statement below from Nestle Purina as quoted in DVM360 could explain what’s happening: > Propylene glycol is found in Nestlé Purina's Beneful and some Dog Chow brands of dry dog food. "Propylene glycol functions as a humectant food additive and preservative... > Nestlé Purina pet foods, including Beneful, are "only released after we confirm all of the ingredients are included at the right levels. Apr 1, 2015 Propylene glycol: Educate yourself and your veterinary clients. DVM360 Magazine › veterinarynews › p... “All ingredients are included at the RIGHT LEVELS...” Things happen & go wrong in factories all the time and “mistakes” are corrected when caught but “in the meantime” product with “mistakes” is “lost” in the production line and already sealed, ready for shipment.

What if more than the “correct level” was actually introduced in some bags? This would explain so much... I’m waiting for a callback with an estimate for a necropsy to see if I can somehow swing it to prove propylene glycol was the toxin before she’s cremated. To ‘Holly from Some City, Ohio’ I’d like to say: PRAY this doesn’t happen to you & your dog! Something IS going on here...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: June 21, 2018

I've been feeding Puppy Chow and I stopped Tuesday and got a new bag (Tuesday). One puppy had diarrhea this morning (Thursday). Took her to vet. Vet gave her some antibiotics and said she should be fine. Now 2 other puppies are throwing up. Has anyone else had this problem recently? 06/21/18.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I really like this food. We rescued a dog and he loves it. It never upsets his belly. He seems to like the flavor and enjoy it. He eats it up. It smells good and looks good. My vet says it's good.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Have two Chinese pugs. Not sure what food to feed them so we tried Purina Purina Dog Chow, was surprised that they love it. It's no fun when you try new food and they won't eat it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We bought a bag of Proplan at Petsmart. It was left in a wicker basket with the top rolled up from May till we returned to Florida in October. The house was air conditioned through the summer. On return the home was completely overrun with moths and webs, under ceiling beams, the pantry, lamps, art on the walls, clothes in the closets, everywhere. The bag was one huge web of moths and larvae.

Purina was contacted and we were lulled into believing that the whole cleanup replacement of the beams, replacement of the cupboards would be covered. We spent $20,000 documented only to be told by Purina they would not cover a single dime. An attorney was contacted in Fort Myers Fl who was very reluctant to consider any suit without a huge downpayment. I really wish others have had problems for a personal or class action. I have all documenting evidence of the damage done to our home in photos. Will NEVER buy Purina again and encourage others to do the same.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an 11 years old Redbone Coonhound dog. She was full of energy, and behaved and looked like a puppy. She had a shiny fur and a robust body, and rarely ever got sick. Smart & Final run out of her food, and promised to have it the next day. Ten days later, they still didn't have it, and I run out of dog food. So I bought Purina Dog Chow. She started feeling bad the same day. It started with nonstop drinking, and watery diarrhea. The next day she became lethargic, she had labored breathing and refused to get out of bed. I added some salt to her water, to compensate for loss of electrolytes, due to the diarrhea. Her breathing became normal almost immediately, and she started getting on her weak legs. Her stool seemed to get gradually better, and she went back to eating. A few hours later, she had her 1st very violent and long seizure. It knocked her down for an hour.

Two days later, she had a seizure every 4-5 hours. By now, she looked like a wreck. Her mouth had constant strings of saliva, and her eyes full of puss. When she refused to eat chicken livers, the food she liked the most, I gave up all hopes. Two days ago, she refused both water and food. I couldn't see her suffering and euthanized her yesterday morning. We are heartbroken and depressed. How could this have happened in just about 6 days? I became suspicious about the food only yesterday night. As I couldn't sleep of the horrible and endless thoughts, that I poisoned my beloved dog with this food, and then euthanized her for being too sick. I have the sack of food here, of which she maybe ate just 1%.

The majority of the reviews I read today about Purina food, confirmed my suspicions. I am completely devastated. She was my only family. I am having nonstop migraines since the 1st moment I started suspecting that the food was essentially a poison. I know that the case against Purina was dismissed at the court, but it was a huge mistake. We have to get together and sue them again. Please contact me if you are interested.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Horrified when I found out my parents had switched my dogs to Purina while I was away. One of my dogs has epilepsy and once she was moved to this food, starting having seizures on the regular, despite their frequency being on a downward slope for many years. Poured out what was left in the bin and immediately replaced with Zignature. Her seizures have been happening less frequently for the past few months, but I'm still worried... Purina is one of the lowest quality dog foods on the market. If you love your pet, do your research and find a better food. (Iams/Pedigree/Beneful are no better.)

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I think it's pitiful everyone uses this site to bash Purina and says things like "if I find out Purina made my dog sick, I'm going to sue!" IQ tests should be given before they let people go public. My dog loves Purina Dog Chow, has done very well on it, with no problems, and if he did have a problem I'd take him to a vet to determine whats wrong before I blame the dog food company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Purina Dog Chow- Why are they still selling this product?? After buying a bag of this stuff and feeding one cup to my dog, he’s become so sick. Vomiting and diarrhea, very lethargic, no pep, and lost all interest in even moving around. This stuff hasn’t made my dog so ill. I hope to God my dog gets better. Purina stop selling this stuff it’s making our dogs sick.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have been using Purina Dog Chow for over 40 years and it has served 5 labs very well and kept them all healthy. Can't say enough about the high quality of Purina products.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Grew up with grandparents who breed German Shepherds for a living. They always used Purina Dog Chow. I have two XL Cane Corso's who love this dog food. It is affordable and keeps them healthy.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have been feeding Purina Dog Chow for over 30 years. Most of my dog have been healthy and lived to their teens. There have been times when I ran out and bought other brands that they didn't like.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Purina Dog Chow is a food brand that is design for dogs. Its value is sailing at a very low price in most stores and the ingredients are still the same.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We have been using Purina Natural Puppy Chow for almost a year. Our Golden Doodle has done fine with it, but in October we added a German Shepherd Mix to our family, he did not do so well with it. He has had diarrhea since the first day we got him. We got him tested and he did have parasites but even after they were rid of he still had slimy, bloody stool. Our vet suggested giving him a bland food to help settle his stomach. That has worked to some extent but it wasnt until I came onto this site and read some of the reviews of the dog Chow that I thought it could be the initial food we had been giving him. This week I started him on IAMS dog food and TWO DAYS later his stool is finally healthy and how it should be. My only regret is not thinking that it could be his dog food sooner, then he would have been in less pain and I would have a lot less money spent on vet bills.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

My dog started to have an allergic reaction to something. Trying to figure out exactly what has taken awhile. We took him to the vet and have had him on a large dose of **, and he started feeling better. And then I watched him eat Beneful dog food and a few hours later he started to act strange again (chewing holes through his feet, acting very strange in general). He's a small dog and normally doesn't eat much dry food, however I do keep it out for him. Thank God he prefers wet food, because after reading the reviews about this food I am horrified!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I'm just want people to know about Bella Purina dog food. The first bag I bought my dogs loved it. Not until the very end of the dry dog food did I see the black bugs. I thought maybe it was something that got in my dog's food. So I bought another bag. This time there was more bugs. I'm not buying this product again! I have seven dogs and I love them too much to see them sick. Please take off the market. I bought the bags at Walmart.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have a 9 week old Alaskan Malamute. When we first got him his appetite was robust and he was current on all of his shots plus dewormer (they gave me his records). I-- thinking I was being frugal--- put him on Purina Puppy Chow, and ever since the first day of eating it he's had watery stools and has been extremely thirsty. I'm a skeptic by nature so I read everything I could find on the possible causes for his suffering. I decided to throw the Purina away and put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked brown organic rice with a little mineral salt. Within 24 hours his energy has returned to normal and more importantly, he is now passing normal looking stools. I plan to put him on a high quality food from now on. This is a beautiful dog, and shame on Purina for all the hardships they have caused for so many.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I have 3 dogs and one recently just passed this fall, and he was a full grown pitbull and I have another full grown pitbull who also was sick with the same symptoms, vomiting mucus diarrhea weak fever, not want to drink or eat. Now I have my 3 dog who's a small Yorkie and he's showing the same signs and symptoms. Hopefully he will pull through like my other dog and not pass away like my one did this past fall.

Original review: May 4, 2017

This is it in a nutshell... About a month or so ago I bought some Purina Complete Dog Chow (dry kibble) for my Chihuahua-mix dog. Since I started feeding her the food everything was fine, until a couple weeks ago she started acting different like she was starving and very skittish, so I brushed it off thinking maybe she was just really hungry and continued feeding it to her just giving her a bigger portion. Then last week I left her at home for about an hour to do some shopping and when I came back she had thrown up all over her bedding and on the floor... and the whole next day it was the same thing, whenever I would check on her there would be more throw up.

Luckily the next day I had an appointment to get her nails trimmed so I decided that if she wasn't better by the next morning I would ask her vet about it. She still didn't seem 100% but the vet said without running tests they couldn't be sure what was wrong. After the vet visit she still was acting lethargic but the vomiting had stopped. Last night she had eaten all her food in her food bowl so I grabbed the bag of food and opened it and was about to pour some into the dish... But I just got the feeling I needed to look into the bag... And what I found is absolutely disgusting.

It was a finger dressing... That has dried blood in the inside... I wrapped it in a cellophane from a cigarette pack to keep it. I'm pretty sure I found the reason my dog was sick. There is absolutely no possibility that it is from myself or my parents who were the only ones it could have come from, so that leaves only the people who manufactured it... I will never buy this again.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Was recommended to put my new puppy on puppy chow large breed by my vet. After ruling out several bacterial infections with antibiotics, vet and I reviewed the "new" ingredients list. Turns out the food has almost no meat in it now, is loaded up with tripe and corn, and has a ton of red dye in it. We both were also horrified to find they use garlic oil in it, as all parts of the onion family are toxic to dogs. Some dogs can tolerate small amounts of garlic, many breeds develop very bad reactions that can be life threatening. The fact that a dog food would contain it at all is mortifying considering they recommend so much more kibble to be fed than higher quality brands. My pup now has IBD from the intestinal damage done from this food after 7 weeks of testing. He now routinely has to take medications or has internal bleeding and diarrhea. Thanks Purina for almost killing my puppy and making the rest of his life miserable.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I have been using Purina Dog Chow, Puppy Chow, Dry Food for well over 15 years with no problems... all of my dogs have been healthy and happy. I have recently upgraded to Purina One (locally available easily) and hate to see the bad reviews! I don't know that I would change their diet unless it was medically necessary- my dogs have always had good weight and remained active. On another note my AGING cat will not touch any other food except Purina Cat Chow. Tried to sub generic in a emergency one time and his stubborn old self wouldn't touch it. Regular or indoor formula, don't matter... picky picky he only eats his brand. Stop with all the complaints and give some praise for once.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Making my dogs sick! I have a 5 year old Boxer and 12 year old Dachshund. We just lost our 9 year old Boxer, so I thought my dogs were grieving when they didn't want to eat and began throwing up. This has now gone on for almost 2 weeks. My dogs are foodies and I know it's no longer grieving because it's getting worse.They will not eat. So, I cooked for them yesterday chicken and rice. They gobbled it up, held it down, and their personalities came shining through. I read the other recent reviews of this same food and something is seriously wrong with this food. I am taking my dogs to the vet to have them checked for poison.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Not sure what's going on but our Doberman is now eating home-cooked food and recovering. Last week, 2/14/17, Rhett had what the vet described as extreme food poisoning. 2 days of putrid black puke, black diarrhea, and weakness. After surgery to look for a potential blockage, his appetite is returning. His normal diet is Nutrish dry food and a can of Alpo Prime cuts with chicken. He's been getting the same food for more than a year. Now he sniffs the Alpo and walks away.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

A few incidents where my dogs have thrown up in the past. Few days ago I noticed some wire like fiber sticking it out of the dog food kibbles, and the bag had a foul odor. One of my fur babies has refused to eat the dog food altogether. I threw out the dog food and I'm switching brands. I don't want to take the chance of losing any of my fur babies.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I have recently changed my dog food to Purina Dog Chow. I was told it was better for them. We had been feeding them this food for about 4 weeks. Just last week we lost a mama dog who had just had puppies. Didn't know for sure what the deal was but then we lost my15 year old baby (Datson) tonight. All had the same symptoms. Started laying around not wanting to eat or drink, then gasping for breath, then to the point she could not even walk. Seemed too much like poison. I am taking my baby to the vet on Monday and have her tested to see if it has anything to do with the dog food. If so, purina will be hearing from me with a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have tried to give my "adult " dogs every other dry food, expensive, nutritional value without much success. They have eaten this dry food since they were pups and they refuse to eat any other food. I mix it with a good wet food (if they could have homemade chicken more often they would) that provides them with any of the vitamins and nutrients they need that the puppy may not. They are thriving happy dogs who love the chow.

Purina Dog Chow expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Purina Dog Chow is one of the best-known dog food brands. Its products can be found in most supermarkets and pet stores.

• Easy to find: This pet food is easily available and can be purchased almost anywhere.

• Food for different stages: Dog Chow has a puppy, adult and senior version of its foods, so you can get the right food for your dog as his needs change.

• Variety of food types: You can get a variety of foods for different types of dogs,such as a light, healthy chicken mix for overweight adult dogs or a high protein formula for active senior dogs.

• Lots of resources for puppies: In addition to puppy food, there's information on the company website about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy.

• Options for dogs with special needs: Dog Chow offers special formulas for dogs on high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat and other special diets.

• Special formulas: Purina also has special veterinary formulas to help dogs with medical problems.

• Best for: Puppies, dogs who are pregnant or lactating, healthy active dogs,, senior dogs and dogs who have chronic illness.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information