3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Dog Chow

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Dog Chow Reviews

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Purina brand dog food for a long time. I have tried others, but none of them seem to satisfy my dogs' appetites. There are several different types of Purina dog. My dogs eat the Purina One True Instinct. My dogs have sensitive skin and it is hard to keep it at bay. Sometimes it even pops out with the Purina. But I have tried several other brands and they all seem to aggravate my dogs' skin.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We've fed Purina Puppy Chow, since we've had them & our newest 10 year old blind Mini Pin, that we've had for 6 months now, is on it & she has beautiful fur, has started playing again & doing so much better since her rescue! Our other Mini Pin little boy, was rescued at 9 months & is now 5 years! He has come a long way & is playful, with a beautiful coat & healthy, because of Purina Puppy Chow!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We have a range of dogs from medium (Keeshond) to small (Pomeranian) and a range of ages 6 to 12(?)*. We use Purina Salmon-based Sensitive Systems. It is a small enough kibble for the poms, but substantial enough for the Kees. We supplement the kibble with a homemade chicken-Sweet Potato-Veggie wet mix. The dogs love this diet and have regular well-formed stools. The only reason we would change would be if the food became unavailable. It is getting somewhat hard to find.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My dog always liked the food so I did not change to a less expensive food. Unfortunately he had to be put down due to liver dysfunction, pancreatitis, and gall bladder involvement. Vet could not pinpoint the cause. He was 11 and had no signs of illness. Everything culminated in matter of 3-4 days. The vet bill would have been close to 15K plus he would have been on a feeding tube. All this caused by the food? We don't know.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have fed my dogs and cats Purina foods and treats for over 35 years and have always had very healthy and happy animals. My vet as well as any vet I have talked to over my lifetime have always recommended and approved of Purina products. And my pets love the foods and treats, either canned or dry. They are of the highest quality and always made in the USA. Feeding Purina has kept my animals very healthy. And well into senior years. My husky lived to be 16 about and very happy and healthy. And that is not uncommon for my babies at all. Like I said well into their senior years. My poodle is 15 and no health issues at all, still runs and plays. My cat is 17 and again in top health and very active.

My vet as well as myself attribute this to the excellent nutrition they receive by eating Purina pet foods and treats 100 percent complete nutrition for every stage of life and every activity level. They even have special diets and foods for dogs with food allergies or sensitive stomachs. I love this product, I love this company and their customer service cannot be beat to the best of my knowledge, they have never had a recall on a product that I can ever remember. In my years of experience and I am over 65 and had pets as long as I can remember. Purina has never let me or my babies down from very young animals to very old ones simply the best company and foods on the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Our dogs have been eating Purina Dog Chow - Complete Adult with Real Chicken for a while without any trouble. Just opened a new bag and the after the first feeding, one of our weimaraners threw up 7 times. Took her off the food and gave her boiled rice and chicken after which she perked up. Two days later we are at the vet with dog bloat where she passed away. Today, our remaining weimaraner has diarrhea. We are switching food. There is no way I can lose another dog.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I have tried Dog Chow before and it seemed to make my dogs sick! They was throwing up, diarrhea and couldn’t keep anything down. Recently I went back to Dog Chow and at first, everything was fine. The dogs seem to be okay with it. But then it started making my dogs sick again! I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but I have four dogs and two of them was the ones that got really sick while eating this food.

Original review: April 27, 2019

About a 10 days ago I bought Purina Chow. Stated Real Beef and Rice. Tender Crunchy. I usually buy Purina trying the different types to find what my dogs actually like. 1.5 year old Husky and 7 year old Blue Pit. Ever since I have been feeding them this puppy chow they have been throwing up all over my house. It's a 36 lb bag. There is probably 5 or 6 lbs of it left. Yesterday morning I bought different food even though there's still enough for them for a few more days. Figured the vomiting started same day they were fed the puppy chow. Tender and crunchy and hoped that it was the food otherwise I was gonna have to take them to my vet. Gratefully they haven't thrown up since I stopped feeding them this Purina puppy chow: (healthy start nutrition tender & crunchy real beef and rice food).

I also checked the sell by date. It's supposed to be good till March 2020... So why - when I have been feeding my animals Purina products since Purina has existed. It's a fairly cheap pet food but it's not the bottom of the barrel. I've bought cheaper food like Dollar General or Family Dollar brands 'cause I was a couple dollars short to get the Purina and my dogs would just turn their nose up at it and not eat for days till I got them Purina. So why did my dogs get sick from this particular Purina? They seemed as they enjoyed eating it. And I also only feed my dogs/pup one cup of food at a time. Three/four times a day. My dogs don't eat and eat and eat till they throw up. Their vomit was half to three fourth digested food.

I also have a few cats and ran out of cat food on Wednesday April 24th 2019, wasn't able to get cat food till Friday April 26, 2019, so my cats happily ate the puppy chow. As they do every time I run out of cat food they happily eat the dog food, as they do every time I run out of cat food... They got sick all the sudden after eating the puppy chow and was throwing up all over my house till Friday when I was able to make it to the store. As soon as they got different food they all stopped vomiting. What should I do? Anyone else have this issue.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I find Purina One varieties to serve my dogs' needs at a reasonable price point and decent ingredient list. They receive compliments on their health and appearance every time they go anywhere as service dogs.

Original review: April 25, 2019

There are certain dog foods one of my dogs won't eat but this one Shadow will, for whatever reason. I'm not crazy about the ingredients. The really "good" you're supposed to feed them to, way too expensive!

Purina Dog Chow expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Purina Dog Chow is one of the best-known dog food brands. Its products can be found in most supermarkets and pet stores.

• Easy to find: This pet food is easily available and can be purchased almost anywhere.

• Food for different stages: Dog Chow has a puppy, adult and senior version of its foods, so you can get the right food for your dog as his needs change.

• Variety of food types: You can get a variety of foods for different types of dogs,such as a light, healthy chicken mix for overweight adult dogs or a high protein formula for active senior dogs.

• Lots of resources for puppies: In addition to puppy food, there's information on the company website about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy.

• Options for dogs with special needs: Dog Chow offers special formulas for dogs on high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat and other special diets.

• Special formulas: Purina also has special veterinary formulas to help dogs with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information