2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.21/5

Purina Dog Chow ingredients include real beef, lamb, turkey and chicken. Select from lines formulated for small breeds, puppies or high-protein diets. The company manufactures dog chow in the United States.

BOTTOM LINE

Purina Dog Chow products include wet food, dry food and treats. Though a little on the expensive side, food for and adult dogs includes real chicken, beef, lamb or turkey.

PROS

• Recipes list meat as first ingredient
  • Restricted diet formulas available
  • Creates food for special diets

CONS

• A little pricey
  • Few grain-free options
Purina Dog Chow Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina dog food

Purina Dog Chow Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

We started feeding my dog Purina Dog Chow because it was cheaper. Within two weeks, my dog went from healthy to DEAD. Lethargy, loss of appetite, occasional vomiting. Finally liver, gallbladder, and intestinal SWELLING. Her liver failed and the vets couldn't figure out what had happened. But after seeing other reviews of very, very similar experiences with their pets, I'm convinced this dog food killed my pet. Please do not feed your dogs this kind of dog food.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I purchased a 36lb bag of my dogs food and when I got home I poured it in the food bin only to find hundreds of maggots. When I returned it to the store for a refund, I was informed that several shipments have been like that to their other locations and they are pulling them off the shelf. BEWARE OF THE LARGE BAGS!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Our dogs have been eating Purina Dog Chow - Complete Adult with Real Chicken for a while without any trouble. Just opened a new bag and the after the first feeding, one of our weimaraners threw up 7 times. Took her off the food and gave her boiled rice and chicken after which she perked up. Two days later we are at the vet with dog bloat where she passed away. Today, our remaining weimaraner has diarrhea. We are switching food. There is no way I can lose another dog.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I have tried Dog Chow before and it seemed to make my dogs sick! They was throwing up, diarrhea and couldn’t keep anything down. Recently I went back to Dog Chow and at first, everything was fine. The dogs seem to be okay with it. But then it started making my dogs sick again! I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but I have four dogs and two of them was the ones that got really sick while eating this food.

Original review: April 27, 2019

About a 10 days ago I bought Purina Chow. Stated Real Beef and Rice. Tender Crunchy. I usually buy Purina trying the different types to find what my dogs actually like. 1.5 year old Husky and 7 year old Blue Pit. Ever since I have been feeding them this puppy chow they have been throwing up all over my house. It's a 36 lb bag. There is probably 5 or 6 lbs of it left. Yesterday morning I bought different food even though there's still enough for them for a few more days. Figured the vomiting started same day they were fed the puppy chow. Tender and crunchy and hoped that it was the food otherwise I was gonna have to take them to my vet. Gratefully they haven't thrown up since I stopped feeding them this Purina puppy chow: (healthy start nutrition tender & crunchy real beef and rice food).

I also checked the sell by date. It's supposed to be good till March 2020... So why - when I have been feeding my animals Purina products since Purina has existed. It's a fairly cheap pet food but it's not the bottom of the barrel. I've bought cheaper food like Dollar General or Family Dollar brands 'cause I was a couple dollars short to get the Purina and my dogs would just turn their nose up at it and not eat for days till I got them Purina. So why did my dogs get sick from this particular Purina? They seemed as they enjoyed eating it. And I also only feed my dogs/pup one cup of food at a time. Three/four times a day. My dogs don't eat and eat and eat till they throw up. Their vomit was half to three fourth digested food.

I also have a few cats and ran out of cat food on Wednesday April 24th 2019, wasn't able to get cat food till Friday April 26, 2019, so my cats happily ate the puppy chow. As they do every time I run out of cat food they happily eat the dog food, as they do every time I run out of cat food... They got sick all the sudden after eating the puppy chow and was throwing up all over my house till Friday when I was able to make it to the store. As soon as they got different food they all stopped vomiting. What should I do? Anyone else have this issue.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I find Purina One varieties to serve my dogs' needs at a reasonable price point and decent ingredient list. They receive compliments on their health and appearance every time they go anywhere as service dogs.

Original review: April 25, 2019

There are certain dog foods one of my dogs won't eat but this one Shadow will, for whatever reason. I'm not crazy about the ingredients. The really "good" you're supposed to feed them to, way too expensive!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I like the Purina dog food adult brand, esp the 52 lb bag. Great value! My dog likes it as well. Definitely a great brand, and cost wise as well. Your dog will like Purina dog food too! Great buy!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I like that I can buy a bulk bag at Sam's club. The price is better than if I buy it at a regular pet store or a grocery store. It’s the main reason for the brand.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I like the look and the option for healthy weight. Most importantly- my dog loves it, and it does not cause any gastro-intestinal upset. What appeals to me is not as important as its appeal to my fur baby.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information