1.67/5
Based on 140 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Purina Dog Chow

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 20, 2017

157 Purina Dog Chow Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I'm just want people to know about Bella Purina dog food. The first bag I bought my dogs loved it. Not until the very end of the dry dog food did I see the black bugs. I thought maybe it was something that got in my dog's food. So I bought another bag. This time there was more bugs. I'm not buying this product again! I have seven dogs and I love them too much to see them sick. Please take off the market. I bought the bags at Walmart.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have a 9 week old Alaskan Malamute. When we first got him his appetite was robust and he was current on all of his shots plus dewormer (they gave me his records). I-- thinking I was being frugal--- put him on Purina Puppy Chow, and ever since the first day of eating it he's had watery stools and has been extremely thirsty. I'm a skeptic by nature so I read everything I could find on the possible causes for his suffering. I decided to throw the Purina away and put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked brown organic rice with a little mineral salt. Within 24 hours his energy has returned to normal and more importantly, he is now passing normal looking stools. I plan to put him on a high quality food from now on. This is a beautiful dog, and shame on Purina for all the hardships they have caused for so many.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 8, 2017

I have 3 dogs and one recently just passed this fall, and he was a full grown pitbull and I have another full grown pitbull who also was sick with the same symptoms, vomiting mucus diarrhea weak fever, not want to drink or eat. Now I have my 3 dog who's a small Yorkie and he's showing the same signs and symptoms. Hopefully he will pull through like my other dog and not pass away like my one did this past fall.

Original review: May 4, 2017

This is it in a nutshell... About a month or so ago I bought some Purina Complete Dog Chow (dry kibble) for my Chihuahua-mix dog. Since I started feeding her the food everything was fine, until a couple weeks ago she started acting different like she was starving and very skittish, so I brushed it off thinking maybe she was just really hungry and continued feeding it to her just giving her a bigger portion. Then last week I left her at home for about an hour to do some shopping and when I came back she had thrown up all over her bedding and on the floor... and the whole next day it was the same thing, whenever I would check on her there would be more throw up.

Luckily the next day I had an appointment to get her nails trimmed so I decided that if she wasn't better by the next morning I would ask her vet about it. She still didn't seem 100% but the vet said without running tests they couldn't be sure what was wrong. After the vet visit she still was acting lethargic but the vomiting had stopped. Last night she had eaten all her food in her food bowl so I grabbed the bag of food and opened it and was about to pour some into the dish... But I just got the feeling I needed to look into the bag... And what I found is absolutely disgusting.

It was a finger dressing... That has dried blood in the inside... I wrapped it in a cellophane from a cigarette pack to keep it. I'm pretty sure I found the reason my dog was sick. There is absolutely no possibility that it is from myself or my parents who were the only ones it could have come from, so that leaves only the people who manufactured it... I will never buy this again.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Was recommended to put my new puppy on puppy chow large breed by my vet. After ruling out several bacterial infections with antibiotics, vet and I reviewed the "new" ingredients list. Turns out the food has almost no meat in it now, is loaded up with tripe and corn, and has a ton of red dye in it. We both were also horrified to find they use garlic oil in it, as all parts of the onion family are toxic to dogs. Some dogs can tolerate small amounts of garlic, many breeds develop very bad reactions that can be life threatening. The fact that a dog food would contain it at all is mortifying considering they recommend so much more kibble to be fed than higher quality brands. My pup now has IBD from the intestinal damage done from this food after 7 weeks of testing. He now routinely has to take medications or has internal bleeding and diarrhea. Thanks Purina for almost killing my puppy and making the rest of his life miserable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: March 19, 2017

I have been using Purina Dog Chow, Puppy Chow, Dry Food for well over 15 years with no problems... all of my dogs have been healthy and happy. I have recently upgraded to Purina One (locally available easily) and hate to see the bad reviews! I don't know that I would change their diet unless it was medically necessary- my dogs have always had good weight and remained active. On another note my AGING cat will not touch any other food except Purina Cat Chow. Tried to sub generic in a emergency one time and his stubborn old self wouldn't touch it. Regular or indoor formula, don't matter... picky picky he only eats his brand. Stop with all the complaints and give some praise for once.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Making my dogs sick! I have a 5 year old Boxer and 12 year old Dachshund. We just lost our 9 year old Boxer, so I thought my dogs were grieving when they didn't want to eat and began throwing up. This has now gone on for almost 2 weeks. My dogs are foodies and I know it's no longer grieving because it's getting worse.They will not eat. So, I cooked for them yesterday chicken and rice. They gobbled it up, held it down, and their personalities came shining through. I read the other recent reviews of this same food and something is seriously wrong with this food. I am taking my dogs to the vet to have them checked for poison.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Not sure what's going on but our Doberman is now eating home-cooked food and recovering. Last week, 2/14/17, Rhett had what the vet described as extreme food poisoning. 2 days of putrid black puke, black diarrhea, and weakness. After surgery to look for a potential blockage, his appetite is returning. His normal diet is Nutrish dry food and a can of Alpo Prime cuts with chicken. He's been getting the same food for more than a year. Now he sniffs the Alpo and walks away.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

A few incidents where my dogs have thrown up in the past. Few days ago I noticed some wire like fiber sticking it out of the dog food kibbles, and the bag had a foul odor. One of my fur babies has refused to eat the dog food altogether. I threw out the dog food and I'm switching brands. I don't want to take the chance of losing any of my fur babies.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I have recently changed my dog food to Purina Dog Chow. I was told it was better for them. We had been feeding them this food for about 4 weeks. Just last week we lost a mama dog who had just had puppies. Didn't know for sure what the deal was but then we lost my15 year old baby (Datson) tonight. All had the same symptoms. Started laying around not wanting to eat or drink, then gasping for breath, then to the point she could not even walk. Seemed too much like poison. I am taking my baby to the vet on Monday and have her tested to see if it has anything to do with the dog food. If so, purina will be hearing from me with a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I have tried to give my "adult " dogs every other dry food, expensive, nutritional value without much success. They have eaten this dry food since they were pups and they refuse to eat any other food. I mix it with a good wet food (if they could have homemade chicken more often they would) that provides them with any of the vitamins and nutrients they need that the puppy may not. They are thriving happy dogs who love the chow.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

We have a few dogs large and small young and old that will ONLY EAT purina puppy chow. Trust me - we've tried to switch them to a better Food but they go on strike Unless its human food which I can only afford for so long. Any who NEVER had a problem until this "new blend". 1st bag 2 pups and my older Chihuahua got sick puking at the time I thought my roommate who I was evicting at the time put something in their food 2 pups died. I threw food out.

Roommates long gone, get another bag Chihuahua and 2 older shepherds start puking as well as 3 pomeranian pups but still eat and drink so I thought maybe it's a weird virus vet couldn't find the exact issue b.c. I didn't really do anything diff. Still same food but I didn't think about the "new ingredient". Lost all 3 pom pom babies. Get several bags (old school brand) no issues at all. Soon as that's gone get more but it's the "new brand" once again - they start to get sick so I connected the dots there has to be something wrong with this new ingredient stuff. It smells fine but clearly there is an issue b.c when I find the old brand everything is fine (and it's getting harder and harder to find the original brand.) And every time it's the new brand they get sick. Anyone else have this issue?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

In attempting to buy the Purina Dog Chow in the green bag the shelves are full of chicken flavor. 5 different stores in my area. Is Purina dictating what we buy now due to not stocking the shelves? I have used this dog food for over 40 years and with only one other complaint when bag had massive clumps in it. Purina responded within days.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Purina recently changed the formula, so they said. I contacted Purina about odor and dogs ill after eating Puppy Chow, soft and chewy in September. No response back only asking if I had a receipt - no answer why food has terrible, rotten odor and my dogs - 2 poodles sick - throwing up and black tarry stools! They don't care! There is something wrong with this new formulated Puppy Chow as we have used it before and never like this issue! The vets stick up for the companies $$$ so - you never get a true reason why dogs sick (due to dog food)! Mad as h over this and especially the concern from Purina! Do not let this company get away with this! I reported this to FDA and little concern and no reply there either!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I change my dogs' food every two years or so just to give them a variety. A few years ago I switched them to Beneful. Within a short period of time my beautiful Boxer lost half of the hair on his back, and my Pointer started to have full blown seizures. My vet ran a thyroid test on my Boxer which was negative. I told her the only thing that was different was that I had changed dog food, but told her that I already suspected something was wrong with it, and changed it back. Within a couple of weeks my Boxer's hair was completely filled back in, and my Pointer never had another seizure. They were completely fine on another brand.

Just recently I was around that two year period so I thought I might try a more natural product. I purchased Beyond. This was a huge mistake on my part because I completely missed the fact that it was a Purina product. Within a couple of weeks my Pointer started getting that glazed over look in his eyes, which he had when he was having a seizure. That's when we realized it was again a Purina product. Since I have large dogs, I go through a lot of food, and had another unopened bag. It went straight back to the store. I ended up losing my Boxer, and in my opinion, I swear it was from this dog food. I even told my son one day, if it's making his hair fall out, I can't imagine what it's doing to him internally. The same went for my Pointer. I also have an American Bull dog, and even though we didn't see such drastic issues as our with our other two dogs, she just plain didn't like it.

I really don't understand why nothing continues to be done about these products, and this company. They are literally killing animals, and nobody but us pet owners seems to care. Please tell everyone you know. Maybe it will save a few precious pets. I actually stopped someone in the store with a big bag of Beneful one day. I told him my story, and that maybe he might want to choose a different brand. I will continue to do it too. Animals and their owners shouldn't have to deal with crap like this. They count on us to take care of them, and we count on these suppliers. I wish Purina would go out of business. They should be ashamed to put out products like this.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I have been feeding my dog this since 2 months and till 8 years she had a seizure and died without warning. She had plenty of exercise, had her shots every year, but one day she just laid down and had a seizure, peed in her bed. We took her to the vet. She was fine and 5 min later was back in seizure state. They tried to save her with oxygen tank, but she was gone. I fully believe it was the food because 2 months earlier my other YOUNGER dog got lymphoma without warning. He swole up and 2 months later same as her laid down and left us heartbroken!!! I blame it on the food. We have a 3rd and switched her to steak and chicken and Blue Buffalo hoping for a better life. We truly blame this food. It's TOXIC for pets and recommend not BUYING!!! If you love your fur baby.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I feed my labradoodle Purina original since he was a puppy. Around 2 years old he had seizures that appeared about once a year. I never thought that it might be his dog food. I read the reviews several years ago and owners had similar experiences and some of the dogs died. I switched his dog food and he has not had a seizure in over 2 years. This is very convincing that the Purina dog food was responsible for his seizures. Whatever they put into their dog food is toxic for some if not all dogs to some degree or another. Cooper is now 9 and going strong.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

My little Lacy died due to this food and now I have over $1,300 in vet bills due to Purina's negligence!! Their vet is supposed to call my vet but hasn't happened yet.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Oh my goodness! I've gotten numerous bags of Purina puppy chow complete... Never had a problem until this bag! There are numerous like string fabric all in the bag! Almost like shredded clothing! Sure hope my dog doesn't get sick from this! Changing food today! Shame! Can't even trust the food you feed your dog!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Here's the short version...I bought Purina Dry Dog food in June and it was full of bugs. Purina sent me a coupon for a new bag of food. I bought a new bag of Purina dry dog food with the coupon this month, and once again it was full of bugs. Gross. I'm done with Purina.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I'm trying to find out if anyone has had sick dogs from Purina puppy chow soft morals... I just lost 6 puppies and had 2 older dogs sick, and the only thing they had in common was the puppy chow...

Original review: May 16, 2016

Don't let yourself be fooled. Not only are the chemicals bad for your fur babies but it's also the source of the meat (not even meat) that they're getting. Your dog/cat could be eating a euthanized animal or roadkill, and yes this is from research. You need to have specific sources of the ingredients. Just like 9Lives, Pedigree, Alpo and many others, this is TRASH. I don't think you would want to feed yourself euthanized house pets or a shelter animal. Do your research and realize that THIS IS KILLING ANIMALS. There's a reason that these brands are at the back of the pet store and that you can get away with buying 50 pounds of food for just maybe $20 and that is sick. Please, save your fur babies from eating this junk. Natural/organic pet food is expensive but vet bills are much more expensive.

Original review: May 8, 2016

I usually feed my small terrier mix another brand 2 days ago I ran out of food for her. So on my way home from work I stop my local store. They didn't have her usual. I end up buy Purina Puppy Chow a small box and has the best before May 2017 which is till next year. My son feed our dog in the morning and she didn't even come near the food. On the afternoon, I was gonna give her water. She never touch the food at all and notice a worm and I went outside and empty the box. It was full of worms. She vomit and look like she wasn't feeling ok. I threw away that nasty dog food. I went to the store and bought her usual food Pedigree for small dogs. She has ate some and looks better now. I do not recommend Purina Puppy Chow. I looked up online and they have history of this.

Original review: March 9, 2016

We have a Standard Schnauzer that is 5 years old and in good health. We started feeding him Purina Little Bites several months ago. We bought a new bag with the best by date of July 2017 and code # 601210841625L.06. We noticed that within a week he started having loose stools and by the next day he was vomiting yellowish vomit and a lot of bloody diarrhea. He was very lethargic and weak. We took him to the vet's office where he had blood tests with findings of dehydration and elevated liver enzymes. He was treated with IV fluids and two different IV antibiotics. The vet was shocked at how sick he was. He is now on the road to recovery and is doing very well. We are convinced that it was the Purina dog food that caused the problem. The vet recommended that we discard all the unused bag. We checked for recalls on the dog food but found none.

Original review: March 4, 2016

I purchased the 50 lb bag and there was an odor when I opened the bag. Being this is all I had to feed my three large dogs I fed them this. The first day one dog threw up everything and then another dog threw up watery yellow vomit. My other dog won't eat it anymore after the first bowl. I do plan on returning it to Walmart. The coding and expired date is: 0 17800 15810 7, Best by August 2017; 605460012334108. Hope this helps other pet owners. I have not found a recall on this product.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

I have three dogs who all eat Purina ONE. I noticed when I purchased the last bag it was not the same color as before. All dogs after two days have been vomiting and have diarrhea. Disposed of that bag purchased another AND noticed the color changed? NO MORE PURINA FOR ME.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

We used Purina briefly for our dog, Sadie. However, we noticed she didn't have the spring in her step anymore and her tummy started turning black. We immediately quit and switched her to Halo. What a difference! It's like we have a new dog and her tummy has turned back to white!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I used Purina Dog Chow for years when I had two collies. Both of them lived to be 14 years old. I highly recommend this dog food as it is the only dog food my dogs ate all those years. I have a cat now who only eats Purina One Cat Food. It is great food from a great company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

We always try to pick a quality dog food that is affordable. We have fed our dogs many brands, and out of the ones we have tried we always come back to Purina, because our pets love it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Good medium grade food. Not top of the line but not low grade. Ok ingredients and doesn't break the bank, I trust Purina. My dogs enjoy it and it's available everywhere, it's like a lot of the medium foods... lots of fillers.

Purina Dog Chow expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Purina Dog Chow is one of the best-known dog food brands. Its products can be found in most supermarkets and pet stores.

• Easy to find: This pet food is easily available and can be purchased almost anywhere.
    • Food for different stages: Dog Chow has a puppy, adult and senior version of its foods, so you can get the right food for your dog as his needs change.
    • Variety of food types: You can get a variety of foods for different types of dogs,such as a light, healthy chicken mix for overweight adult dogs or a high protein formula for active senior dogs.
    • Lots of resources for puppies: In addition to puppy food, there's information on the company website about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy.
    • Options for dogs with special needs: Dog Chow offers special formulas for dogs on high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat and other special diets.
    • Special formulas: Purina also has special veterinary formulas to help dogs with medical problems.
    • Best for: Puppies, dogs who are pregnant or lactating, healthy active dogs,, senior dogs and dogs who have chronic illness.
    Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information