1.72/5
Based on 174 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good dog food brand?

191 Purina Dog Chow Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have fed my dogs and cats Purina foods and treats for over 35 years and have always had very healthy and happy animals. My vet as well as any vet I have talked to over my lifetime have always recommended and approved of Purina products. And my pets love the foods and treats, either canned or dry. They are of the highest quality and always made in the USA. Feeding Purina has kept my animals very healthy. And well into senior years. My husky lived to be 16 about and very happy and healthy. And that is not uncommon for my babies at all. Like I said well into their senior years. My poodle is 15 and no health issues at all, still runs and plays. My cat is 17 and again in top health and very active.

My vet as well as myself attribute this to the excellent nutrition they receive by eating Purina pet foods and treats 100 percent complete nutrition for every stage of life and every activity level. They even have special diets and foods for dogs with food allergies or sensitive stomachs. I love this product, I love this company and their customer service cannot be beat to the best of my knowledge, they have never had a recall on a product that I can ever remember. In my years of experience and I am over 65 and had pets as long as I can remember. Purina has never let me or my babies down from very young animals to very old ones simply the best company and foods on the market.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have 3 large poodles, one of whom is nursing a litter of pups. I bought a bag of Purina Prime Cuts instead of their regular brand hoping to save some money. One dog developed vomiting and diarrhea with lethargy. One developed diarrhea with lethargy. The third dog did not eat much of it, so she is fine. However, I mix the dry food with canned Pedigree varieties. Otherwise, I believe my dogs would have gotten much sicker, and they are still sick. Up all night trying to catch them when they needed to go outside before another accident. This morning it's chicken and rice for them, and the bag of Purina Dog Chow goes in the trash after I contact their address on the bag! Do not try to save a buck and end up with sick dogs. Now I'm worried about the pups too. I purchased this bag at Dollar General.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have 2 elderly dogs, one is a small Terrier/Cocker mix and the is a full Cocker Spaniel. Was in a rush and instead of going and getting my usual expensive dog food from PetSmart I grabbed a small bag of Puppy Chow to help me get to the weekend. 2 feedings in my smaller dog started having diarrhea, gagging, vomiting, shivering, and the weirdest thing was she would just lie down wherever you put her. This dog is sooo active, tail always wagging usually, the sudden change scared me. The larger dog having issues with loose bowels. Went online and found all these horrible reviews. I know it's this stupid cheap food. Going straight to PetSmart and will feed rice for dinner as I read on here to help settle tummies.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I regret of using Purina Dog Chow for a change on my retriever who is suffering from loose bowel and dehydration right now. Will take him to the vet first thing in the morning. Thought it would be a great change and will keep him healthy but it's totally opposite of it. I will never recommend this product to anyone who wants their paws to be healthy.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have always been a loyal Purina brand supporter. I used to haul corn into their dog food plant in Edmond, Oklahoma. I know how strict they are on product that they put in your dog food. Good. After feeding my dog Puppy Chow he started getting lethargic - had severe diarrhea gas. I did not think it would be the dog food since I know the quality control that Purina has so I continue to feed my dog 15 lb bag the Puppy Chow. I was ready to have him put to sleep because he couldn't hold his bowels. We tried ** probiotic. I changed his dog food and after the first feeding his stool stiffen back up. He is more energetic now - eating good, sleeping good, no more whining, no more biting at his tail. I will never purchase Puppy Chow again. I did however purchase another Purina brand call Beneful Healthy Weight. He seemed to do real good on it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Dog Chow?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been a loyal Purina Dog Chow user from puppy chow when young to adult food. Noticed that lately my dogs, I have three, have slowly been eating less and less. With them being lethargic and vomiting. They all have had health issues lately - rashes and infections, urinating blood and high liver counts. The smell of the dog food I have noticed, turns my stomach and smells sour. Because of this we have started the change to new food. We have noticed a change in less than a week. They have stopped vomiting and their coats are looking better.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased a 4 lb bag of Purina puppy chow instead of the regular brand. Fed it to my pup for supper. By the next morning he had very loose bowel and was extremely lethargic. Didn't consider it may be the food so I fed it to him again. By the evening he was even more lethargic, loose bowel, slowly walking in circles nipping at his tail instead of playfully running around like his normal self. Both eyes are weak and one is barely open. He seems to be off balance. He won't bark or play just quietly whimpers all of a sudden. After reading the other reviews and consider the rapid onset, I'm convinced it's the Purina dog food as nothing else in terms of exposure has changed. Mind you in less than 24 hours my pup is having a negative reaction after eating Purina. Prior to he was as happy and energetic as any healthy would be. Very upset and highly disappointed Purina!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have a husky and he is about 5 months old. Tried every food including Blue Wilderness, Blue Buffalo. Everything made him sick until I got him Puppy Chow. He absolutely loves and my vet loves it! Thanks Puppy Chow!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have 3 large dogs who are relatively healthy, 2 are pit bulls and 1 a pit bull St. Bernard MIX, due to circumstances I was forced to switch dog foods due to costs of previous food, so I introduced them to Purina dog chow mixed with their other food and they handled the transition wonderfully but then seen that Purina makes adult dog chow complete beef, so I DID the same thing on introducing this food to them. Now I'm just feeding them the adult dog chow complete beef and they are sick!!! Throwing up piles of food, phlegm and gagging, so I had them checked out and was told to give them rice cooked in chicken broth to settle their tummies. Ok did that and slowly reintroduced the dog chow again following the vet's instructions.

Now they're all 3 throwing up, gagging, large amounts of loose stools! Shame on you Purina. This food is killing animals while making others so sick, costly vet bills, constantly cleaning up after them and watching them suffer! Someone in your manufacturing plant is mixing something wrong or are purposely poisoning our dogs! I want action taken! Boycott Purina, Purina you are accountable for this, if it was just 1 or 2 dogs I'd say no but there are several possibly hundreds of sick dogs out there all because of your dog food. I'm so upset and feel like a horrible pet mom because I trusted this company not to hurt my babies! No more Purina. I rate you minus a million.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I purchased a bag of Puppy Chow and after a few hours my dogs began to vomit and become extremely sick. He couldn't keep anything down. My dogs became extremely lethargic and dehydrated. I had to get a bottle of Pedialyte and keep them hydrated. I pulled food from him for 12-24 hrs and began to see improvement. I gave them rice with no season and they were able to keep it down without incident. I fed them again the same dog food and yet again the vomit started. This is terrible. With this many complaints this food is still being sold in stores to continue to make other pets sick as well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My mother dog has been very sick from Purina Puppy chow. Gave it to the pups and they also threw it up. Not good... Recall needed... This use to be a good food for mother dogs. Now I would not recommend it at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I just want to say I wish I never switched to this dog food. I have 4 furbabies who I love dearly and yes I fell terrible for switching their food 1 week ago. I am glad I caught it early. I started noticing two of my dogs were gagging/coughing a lot last night and now today those two would not touch that food. My other two dogs were still eating it up...loved it. Tonight I decided to check the kibble and I found LITTLE FRAILS OF WIRE sticking out of the food! I am beyond sick about this. Please no one dare feed this to your pups. I have thrown the whole 40lb. Bag in garbage! I bought off Amazon $19.99. I will return to the more expensive food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Bought puppy food and it has mold. Store refused to refund my money. I've used Purina for over 20 years and never had a problem till now. I would never use them again. Can't poison my babies. Stop buying Purina.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been giving my dogs Pedigree for over 25 years and I thought I would give this brand a try since they were giving a rescue a donation per bag. At this point since I found bailing wire (a wrapped up bundle) before it caused my dog any harm I can say I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I’ve been feeding our pup Purina puppy chow since we got him. He was absolutely fine until the last bag purchased 2 wks ago. Our dog rapidly started down with explosive diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy. Leading to forced hydration, medication to settle the symptoms and round the clock care. Few days later showed signs of improvement so went back to attempting adding in some dog food and he immediately went down again with the same symptoms so back onto his medication and bland food. Suspicions up after settling him again and tried one cup feeding of his normal Purina diet and this evening we are back to vomiting and diarrhea.

Never again Purina.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We have been feeding Purina Dog Chow to our dogs for over 18 years. All of a sudden our 3 German Shepherds are throwing up piles of dog food and stomach bile. Headed to the vets today! PURINA RECALL YOUR FOOD!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Two months ago (June 30, 2018) my dog had a full panel blood test and Xrays. Note: We started the Purina One SmartBlend lamb and rice after our dog's labs. Kidneys and internal organs were normal. Two months later my dog was not eating, drinking water but only sleeping. I felt something was wrong so I took him in to get checked out. It turns out he now has kidney disease. Creatinine and BUN levels were elevated or off the charts. Creatinine was 7.3 when ranges should be .5-1.8 and BUN was greater than 130 when levels ranges 7-27. Phosphate was 14 when ranges 2.5 - 6.8. Now we are giving our dog IVs and know our dog will die soon. The Purina One was the only changes we made with our dog. Now he's suffering and we are heartbroken that they will give this dog food to animals. Is there a lawsuit out there or planning to remove this from the shelf? I heard this food is process out in China.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Just went through an entire week of struggling to keep our 6 month old German Shepherd puppy alive. She tested negative for parvo, but had vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools. Drank water, but vomited it up. We brought her to the vet, tons of medication, IVs daily. She started feeling better this past Friday. Last night, I let her have a handful of kibble and this morning, she was vomiting again. All the Purina is going in the trash! All my dogs eat this brand, even the canned version, my older dogs have been turning it down lately and not eating much. So I assume it was making them feel bad as well, just not as sick as it made the puppy. I don't know what has changed, I've used this brand for years. But not anymore! This has been an exhausting, horrible week. Purina, please, pull your product again, find out what's going on.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

My dog a 3 year old Mini Australian Shepherd who is always healthy (no problems or concerns with the vet after any visit), active (5 mile hikes, 1.5 mile walks in the evening before bed, frisbee player), and just a characteristic dog... until just a few days ago. I gave the Purina healthy weight dog food to manage his weight with him being slightly overweight. Everything was fine. Then suddenly in 1 week of switching his food, he wasn't being himself. Whenever he would lay down, he would dig at the blankets while crying and spinning in circles, then he would stretch and continue to lick anything that was in front of him excessively. He had a very dry mouth.

Took him to the vet showed the videos of his "episode" and how frequently they were happening from 12am-4pm there was 3 episodes. Then on the 30 min ride to the vet he had 3 in the seat of my car. He would still play with the other dog, run around the yard and chase birds, but it wasn't as much as he normally did on an everyday basis. Something was wrong, and it was something major. The vet then diagnosed him with seizures. A PERFECTLY healthy 3 YO dog, up until this point after giving him that terrible dog food! HE is now on **, with bad effects to the liver, that will need to be monitored through bloodwork. PLEASE do not give this dog food to your pets.

As a vet assistant, I researched and read how wonderful Purina is a great brand of food, healthy, etc. to make sure I was giving my dog a food good for him only to have this happen. I couldn't imagine the vet bills without my discount of working at a Vet hospital. Everyone can be misinformed. But this food shouldn't be able to be sold anymore but because the company is made of $$$ they can just pay their way off these terrible things happening to pets. Every pet can be different, but I think it was the amounts of Propylene Glycol that Purina uses in their foods, is what was setting him off. The dog food is the ONLY thing that I changed for this to happen.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Dogs have been fed this for couple years because of cost of feeding 2 large dogs on a fixed income. Experienced some issues as I recall in the beginning such as diarrhea but attributed that to switching brands. Just lost dog yesterday... she had to be euthanized and emergency vet said it appeared to be toxin ingestion. I believe it’s directly related to this latest bag as this is when symptoms began: violent diarrhea until food was withheld for 36-48 hours & she bounced back happy & perky as when she was a puppy. Then last evening very soon after eating 2 cups of this she began standing around panting as if she was hot and went out briefly but came right back in & collapsed vomiting everything on her bed and own paw and her symptoms worsened quickly as we rushed her to emergency hospital.

I believe the last statement below from Nestle Purina as quoted in DVM360 could explain what’s happening: > Propylene glycol is found in Nestlé Purina's Beneful and some Dog Chow brands of dry dog food. "Propylene glycol functions as a humectant food additive and preservative... > Nestlé Purina pet foods, including Beneful, are "only released after we confirm all of the ingredients are included at the right levels. Apr 1, 2015 Propylene glycol: Educate yourself and your veterinary clients. DVM360 Magazine › veterinarynews › p... “All ingredients are included at the RIGHT LEVELS...” Things happen & go wrong in factories all the time and “mistakes” are corrected when caught but “in the meantime” product with “mistakes” is “lost” in the production line and already sealed, ready for shipment.

What if more than the “correct level” was actually introduced in some bags? This would explain so much... I’m waiting for a callback with an estimate for a necropsy to see if I can somehow swing it to prove propylene glycol was the toxin before she’s cremated. To ‘Holly from Some City, Ohio’ I’d like to say: PRAY this doesn’t happen to you & your dog! Something IS going on here...

Original review: June 21, 2018

I've been feeding Puppy Chow and I stopped Tuesday and got a new bag (Tuesday). One puppy had diarrhea this morning (Thursday). Took her to vet. Vet gave her some antibiotics and said she should be fine. Now 2 other puppies are throwing up. Has anyone else had this problem recently? 06/21/18.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I really like this food. We rescued a dog and he loves it. It never upsets his belly. He seems to like the flavor and enjoy it. He eats it up. It smells good and looks good. My vet says it's good.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Have two Chinese pugs. Not sure what food to feed them so we tried Purina Purina Dog Chow, was surprised that they love it. It's no fun when you try new food and they won't eat it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We bought a bag of Proplan at Petsmart. It was left in a wicker basket with the top rolled up from May till we returned to Florida in October. The house was air conditioned through the summer. On return the home was completely overrun with moths and webs, under ceiling beams, the pantry, lamps, art on the walls, clothes in the closets, everywhere. The bag was one huge web of moths and larvae.

Purina was contacted and we were lulled into believing that the whole cleanup replacement of the beams, replacement of the cupboards would be covered. We spent $20,000 documented only to be told by Purina they would not cover a single dime. An attorney was contacted in Fort Myers Fl who was very reluctant to consider any suit without a huge downpayment. I really wish others have had problems for a personal or class action. I have all documenting evidence of the damage done to our home in photos. Will NEVER buy Purina again and encourage others to do the same.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an 11 years old Redbone Coonhound dog. She was full of energy, and behaved and looked like a puppy. She had a shiny fur and a robust body, and rarely ever got sick. Smart & Final run out of her food, and promised to have it the next day. Ten days later, they still didn't have it, and I run out of dog food. So I bought Purina Dog Chow. She started feeling bad the same day. It started with nonstop drinking, and watery diarrhea. The next day she became lethargic, she had labored breathing and refused to get out of bed. I added some salt to her water, to compensate for loss of electrolytes, due to the diarrhea. Her breathing became normal almost immediately, and she started getting on her weak legs. Her stool seemed to get gradually better, and she went back to eating. A few hours later, she had her 1st very violent and long seizure. It knocked her down for an hour.

Two days later, she had a seizure every 4-5 hours. By now, she looked like a wreck. Her mouth had constant strings of saliva, and her eyes full of puss. When she refused to eat chicken livers, the food she liked the most, I gave up all hopes. Two days ago, she refused both water and food. I couldn't see her suffering and euthanized her yesterday morning. We are heartbroken and depressed. How could this have happened in just about 6 days? I became suspicious about the food only yesterday night. As I couldn't sleep of the horrible and endless thoughts, that I poisoned my beloved dog with this food, and then euthanized her for being too sick. I have the sack of food here, of which she maybe ate just 1%.

The majority of the reviews I read today about Purina food, confirmed my suspicions. I am completely devastated. She was my only family. I am having nonstop migraines since the 1st moment I started suspecting that the food was essentially a poison. I know that the case against Purina was dismissed at the court, but it was a huge mistake. We have to get together and sue them again. Please contact me if you are interested.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Horrified when I found out my parents had switched my dogs to Purina while I was away. One of my dogs has epilepsy and once she was moved to this food, starting having seizures on the regular, despite their frequency being on a downward slope for many years. Poured out what was left in the bin and immediately replaced with Zignature. Her seizures have been happening less frequently for the past few months, but I'm still worried... Purina is one of the lowest quality dog foods on the market. If you love your pet, do your research and find a better food. (Iams/Pedigree/Beneful are no better.)

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I think it's pitiful everyone uses this site to bash Purina and says things like "if I find out Purina made my dog sick, I'm going to sue!" IQ tests should be given before they let people go public. My dog loves Purina Dog Chow, has done very well on it, with no problems, and if he did have a problem I'd take him to a vet to determine whats wrong before I blame the dog food company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Purina Dog Chow- Why are they still selling this product?? After buying a bag of this stuff and feeding one cup to my dog, he’s become so sick. Vomiting and diarrhea, very lethargic, no pep, and lost all interest in even moving around. This stuff hasn’t made my dog so ill. I hope to God my dog gets better. Purina stop selling this stuff it’s making our dogs sick.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have been using Purina Dog Chow for over 40 years and it has served 5 labs very well and kept them all healthy. Can't say enough about the high quality of Purina products.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Grew up with grandparents who breed German Shepherds for a living. They always used Purina Dog Chow. I have two XL Cane Corso's who love this dog food. It is affordable and keeps them healthy.

Purina Dog Chow expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Purina Dog Chow is one of the best-known dog food brands. Its products can be found in most supermarkets and pet stores.

• Easy to find: This pet food is easily available and can be purchased almost anywhere.

• Food for different stages: Dog Chow has a puppy, adult and senior version of its foods, so you can get the right food for your dog as his needs change.

• Variety of food types: You can get a variety of foods for different types of dogs,such as a light, healthy chicken mix for overweight adult dogs or a high protein formula for active senior dogs.

• Lots of resources for puppies: In addition to puppy food, there's information on the company website about how to raise a healthy and happy puppy.

• Options for dogs with special needs: Dog Chow offers special formulas for dogs on high protein, low carbohydrate, high fat and other special diets.

• Special formulas: Purina also has special veterinary formulas to help dogs with medical problems.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Purina Dog Chow Company Information