2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

4.0/5 (1244 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Blue Buffalo Pet Foods

Blue Buffalo is a manufacturer of dog and cat foods. Ingredients include high-quality meats, fruits, vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish oil, barley, rye, fava beans, vitamins and mineral supplements. Products are available on the company’s website and through other retailers.

Pros

• No filler ingredients
  • Wide selection of food and treats
  • Vitamins and mineral supplements

Cons

• Brand has had recalls
  • Can be expensive

Bottom Line

Blue Buffalo uses high-quality ingredients for its pet food. The company doesn’t use animal byproducts, and it adds vitamins and minerals to provide a balanced diet. There's a range of options for pets of all ages and needs.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Buffalo Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I adopted my sweet lab at the SPCA 8 months old. We tried BB for him because it seemed healthier than other foods. Immediately we were struck with diarrhea all over the carpet and frequent potty breaks for him. I figured "okay, he is just adjusting to the house and the food." No. Buyer. Beware. Blue Buffalo is not telling us something. I have read awful reviews and good ones. The good ones are for dogs that get a lot of exercise, are not sensitive, and owners that do not pay attention to their pet. No animal could possibly be healthy after consuming this food.

My poor baby began vomiting days ago and has vomited 10-15 times a day for two days in a row. This is not okay. I am going to sue if my pup is not okay. I am so worried, discouraged, and upset with MYSELF for not researching. He also refuses to eat ANYTHING at all. My advice for those that are in my situation? Get off Blue. Immediately. Get some plain brown rice and chicken breast in a bowl for them after giving them 24 hours with no food and be sure they stay hydrated. You can ensure they are not deadly sick by looking at their gums and being sure they are PINK, not white. Touch their gum with your finger and be sure a white spot appears after your finger leaves their gum to ensure they are healthy. Plain chicken broth is great for hydration, check to make sure there is not too much or any, if possible, sodium. The goal here is to inform others that this food is NOT good for any animal. DO NOT BUY BLUE BUFFALO. IT IS DEADLY FOR SOME.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I started my 6 year beagle who is a recent adoptee on their can food of different varieties. But hauling 31 cans from the food store got to be burdensome. So when I switch to dry food Life Protection Formula, she soon started to drink more water and urinating on my floors which did not happen when she was on can food. So I switched back to can food and the urine problem stopped and she is drinking less water.

I do believe that Quality Control is not being performed by this company because they have 5 other companies making their food for them. This is also stated on their can food. So this means Blue Buffalo cannot control where these other companies source their ingredients. So even though my beagle is doing better on can food, I do not trust this company and will switch again to another brand because they will not or can not tell us where these other companies acquire their ingredients.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I started my yorkie on their small bites and he is currently at the vet for 48 hours with pancreatitis. Hoping he will be ok and dreading the massive bill for all the labs and IV fluids and care he’s getting. Nothing else has changed in his life. I can’t swear it’s Blue Buffalo but I’ve talked to others who’ve had this happen.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

After being giving a supposed "good pet food" to my dog, sadly she died. I tried my best to give her the "best food" possible, and I made a BIG mistake with this company. I'm very disappointed and very sad. The vet said it could be a toxicity. That's the only food I gave to my dog. I'm very sad.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

So I was told by a guy in Pet Smart to try Blue Buffalo and told me it was a good dog food. After 2 months my pitty stopped eating the food so just 2 days ago I went to work, worked a 8 hr shift and she hadn’t touched her food. I thought that was strange being that she’s greedy only for her to get off the sofa and fall out and peed while laying on the floor. It’s like she couldn’t move her back legs. It scared the heck outta me only for her to have 2 more episodes of that. At that point I took her to the vet. They told me that she wasn’t getting enough oxygen to her brain. I couldn’t even accept that the vet gave me a can food to try her on and she ate it with no problem. She seem to be feeling a lil better. I’m convinced it’s something that’s in that food making my dog sick. I paid $56 for a bag of food just to throw it away!! I just hope she gets back to herself soon.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

After switching my cat to BB for a few months he was no longer the zen Buddha cat I knew. He suddenly followed me everywhere meowing all the time. He'd beg for food whenever we were eating, he'd wake us up at strange hours and want us to feed him when there was still food left in his bowl. He became frail and thin. I thought it was just him aging but I felt something tell me that it was the food. After I switched him back to his original food he completely changed. He was calm and cuddly again. He went back to being the lazy, floofy, Buddha kitty I knew and went back to his healthy weight. Had I not figured out it was the food that was causing the problem I fear he may have starved. What is in BB?!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

My male cat developed crystals shortly after being switched to Blue Buffalo dry cat food for 1/2 his daily feedings. The other 1/2 daily feeding was canned cat food. $650 in vet and emergency vet bills, he's feeling much better. I will NEVER purchase another Blue Buffalo product!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Put our two terriers on BB Wilderness dog food, different varieties. After a couple of months we saw evidence of pancreatitis in their poop. The vet tested both dogs but found only one had pancreatitis. Of course we changed foods and things seem to have improved. However, within 12 months, one dog died mysteriously with a necropsy unable to determine a cause of death, and the other dog died from GI issues. I blame Blue Buffalo, but we'll never know.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I started feeding my dog with Blue Buffalo puppy not grain just to try the brand since in the food store a lady that was in dog food area recommended as the best. With these everything was good then I switched gradually to a food for adult dog since my dog is an adult schnauzer. I switch to Blue Buffalo Wilderness for adult small breed. It caused to my dog stomach issues, diarrhea with blood, loose poop. My dog have been slow. She do not want to eat much.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I'm not big on writing reviews. In fact, I came to [read] reviews on Blue Buffalo dog food, not write one. Never did I expect to see so many horrible reviews. And the common denominator to most, if not all of the negativity is--vomiting & diarrhea in dogs. My mix Golden/Rottie is 10 years old and I wanted to switch her out of her old dog food (which was great) but I wanted a more, healthier, more quality type food. I was a bit hesitant in paying $50 for one bag but I had seen the Blue Buffalo commercials for a while now and thought I'd give it a try. I fed my dog her first bowl at dinner.

By morning she had vomited most of what she consumed. I didn't think too much of it until her diarrhea became an issue. For 3 days she had unstoppable, tummy issues. I didn't know what to do or what was causing it but after reading all of the reviews. I am convinced that all of these sweet dogs are getting sick from this BLUE BUFFALO dog food. It sickens my stomach. AND I TRULY HOPE something is done. Pull this food off the shelves before someone's dog(s) die from it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We love our 5 year old cat so much that I wanted to feed him great food so he has a healthy long life. We started on Blue Buffalo cat food 10 months ago. About 8 months ago I noticed our cat having little episodes. As time went on they increased in time and frequency. I took him to the vet and food was one of the 1st questions asked. I kinda blew off that BB would be the reason. Once I got home I did some research on the timing and sure enough his episodes started after I switched to BB. Then I search to see if there are other stories out there that are similar.

I had to dig a bit as I assume BB pays to keep those stories further down on internet pages. I’m convinced more than before that BB is behind these episodes. I’ve thrown out all the food! This morning before I did throw out the food, my cat had the worst episodes. This was after eating Blue Buffalo!!! Once a few hours pass he is able to sleep peacefully. Seems to me the episodes happen soon after eating and continue since he eats small amounts throughout the day. BLUE BUFFALO should be taken off the market! I was shocked how many negative reviews, recalls and a lawsuit this company has received with no real consequence. Shame on you BLUE BUFFALO!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

After feeding my 4 year old min. Dachshund this food, she started developing skin dry, itchy spots all over. The hair fell out and left raw spots. My vet put her on science diet. Z/D food. Spots started going away. At 12 weeks she is now clear. I’m very disappointed in Blue....

Original review: July 28, 2019

We are a small online pet shop specializing in pet electronics. Blue Buffalo made a purchase for $5000 worth of e-collars for hunting dogs and when we contacted them to make sure the order was legit they told us, yes, and that the products were going to be used in a new photoshoot they were doing for an advertisement. I was familiar with the company and personally purchase their food at Petco to feed our dogs so that order was approved and shipped. A couple of weeks later they placed another $10,000 order for the same hunting dog collars and when I called them again to ask why they needed another 50 collars I was told that they just decided that they needed more for the photo session but I wasn't comfortable with it and did not ship the order right away and good thing because a few days after that they had charged the card back for the original $5000 order!

I contacted them and they said, "Yes, sorry", that card was lost and that the card issuer automatically chargeback several transactions around the time period it was lost or stolen but that they would get back to me with a new card. 1 week later, still nothing. 2 weeks later, still nothing. Since then they stopped taking my calls and I have tried contacting the company several times and have left messages and sent multiple emails and no callback or any response at all..not a peep! The items they purchased were fine and sealed in factory boxes. They were only using the packaging as a backdrop for the dog food they were photographing... Trying to appeal to the hunting dog crowd is my guess.

Anyway, thank God we didn't ship the 2nd, larger order!! We're a small company and even 5K hurts us pretty badly. 10K would have been devastating. I am not sure why this big company feels the need to rob other business for their products/money but they are despicable lowlifes and, of course, I purchase a different brand and we tell ALL our customers that use their food to do the same thing and you should as well! Not only is their food complete junk but they are thieves as well.

Original review: July 28, 2019

I started feeding my animals Blue Wilderness salmon three years ago. I have 2 kitties and 1 golden retriever. One of my kitties had to be put down because of a large tumour that took up 90% of his chest. My other kitty became obese 22 lbs. My golden started getting huge fat lumps all over his body. Since I started feeding them another food my big kitty started losing weight and my retriever Is not getting anymore fat lumps and the ones he has are getting smaller. The food was recalled so what does that tell you! So in my opinion please do research on any Blue Buffalo products... And please read the reviews!

Original review: July 25, 2019

This stuff is bad news; my dog experienced terrible GI problems, her coat got dry and skin flaky, she had bouts of vomiting and diarrhea and towards the end with blood in it. The way I figured it out was that the diarrhea and vomit smelled like the treats and food! It's bad stuff and should be taken off the market. She is doing very well now on a different food - thank God! Be aware!

Original review: July 21, 2019

We recently purchased on 2 separate occasions Life Protection 38lb bag from Sam's Club. The 1st go around we had all 5 dogs each one different purebred breeds get sick. It took a week to get everyone back to normal. We then went on vacation and my mother-in-law purchased the same food from Sam's Club because she thought this is what we were feeding our dogs and sure enough everyone became violently ill including her chow she brought over to stay with our dogs. Buyer Beware. There is something we aren't being told and it all comes down to great marketing by the company. Purchased Wellness brand and no problems whatsoever.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I was using this brand for two years for my hedgehogs, specifically the Blue Wilderness Indoor Chicken cat food. My hedgehogs' stools were heavily stinky and often runny. I noticed my two year old Peanbean started to walk funny but not like wobbly hedgehog syndrome. Like a tumor had formed in her and it was hindering her non-stable. I switched her off the food and as well as Audo and the stools got better and the hedgehogs looked a lot more happier. But unfortunately for Peaner her tumor got too bad and she began hurting herself and had to be put down. I will never recommend this food to anyone.

Original review: July 16, 2019

For the last 7 years our 10 year old Doberman has eaten Blue Buffalo dry food exclusively. In early May she suddenly started having bouts with severe diarrhea. After a number of tests and ultrasound which all were normal we started her on a different food suggested by our veterinarian. After 48 her bowel movements were back to normal. I am sorry to say that we will not be using Blue Buffalo again.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Are used to have my dog exclusively on Blue Buffalo as well as the Blue Buffalo training treats. About six months ago I heard about the problems that the dogs were having so I went to rice and chicken but on Friday I had a put my baby down. He had cancer of the stomach and when I told the doctor that I was feeding him Blue Buffalo and recently took him off he said that that could have been the issue. Blue Buffalo I know my dog was an elderly dog but he had was full of life and if you would’ve so such a bad products you should’ve been more cautious because you calls me my dog and you calls my dog his life.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Our Newfoundland and Border Collie have been on Blue Buffalo the majority of their lives and we've never had a problem. That is, until about two months ago when my Border Collie began having unexplained diarrhea off and on. As they're both active dogs that go on lots of hikes and love to swim, when the Border Collie began having sustained, uncontrolled diarrhea and vomiting, I guessed it was Giardia or some other waterborne bug. Both dogs began exhibiting severe symptoms (i.e. diarrhea everywhere) so I took them to the vet, pulled them off the dog food, and put them on a diet of boiled chicken and rice.

All tests for Giardia came back negative -- but after two weeks on a purely boiled chicken and rice diet, they stabilized and seemed right as rain. Still guessing it was an environmental bug, I placed them back on the Blue Buffalo dog food. Not two weeks later the Newfoundland again is having uncontrolled diarrhea. We will not be feeding our dogs Blue Buffalo again. Dog food was purchased through Amazon.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had to get my dog weight loss food a few months back and this product was recommended to me. The has already lost 10 pounds! (He is 80 pounds.) He not only is losing weight but he LOVES the food. Great product!

Original review: July 3, 2019

We wanted to switch from Rachael Ray Nutrish to Blue Buffalo to give the dogs some variety. This was hands down the worst mistake we’ve ever made as dog owners. After about 5 days of the dogs going to town on this brand they were suddenly struck with SEVERE GI issues. Keep in mind, I have never written a review on anything in my life, but I wanted to save everyone their sanity. Our dogs are 100% potty trained and annoy the heck out of you when they need to be let out. These poor dogs couldn’t make it to the back door to go outside for 3 days. My entire hallway, kitchen, living room and back door area were literally SPRAYED in diarrhea and vomit. Imagine having an 8 month old baby at home learning to crawl and scoot and both of his best friends are seemingly dying from GI issues.

We had no idea what was going on until yesterday I realized “crap, I hope this isn’t their new food”. I immediately put it on the counter. Ran out, got a couple servings of wet food and a small bag of Rachael Ray, just to see if they could tolerate anything after 3 days of constant emptying of their bowels. They slowly started eating it and have only had one accident since then and have now had a formed BM. Do. Not. Buy. This.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I've always purchased Blue brand dog dry food and never I have encountered issues until now. My 8 year old Shih-Tzu is being plagued with constant diarrhea, vomiting, uneasy stomach, and trouble sleeping in his bed due to all the symptoms mentioned before. I give him only this dry food and I have no doubt this is causing my poor little dog to suffer. I stopped giving him the food after 1 week of this and now he seems to be relieving certain symptoms, still with diarrhea but the vomiting stopped. If you too are encountering this same issue please make sure to report to the FDA and Blue Buffalo pet nutrition/care hotline.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have raised a golden retriever and feed him bil-jac for 17 years until he passed. He was never sick, acted like a puppy 'til the day he died. We decided to get a new dog, a standard poodle my husband baby which he wanted to give her the best possible food. The breeder was feeding her Blue Buffalo so we decided to try it rather he did. I always was on the bil-jac team. After purchasing a bag close to 50 dollars upon opening a brand new bag I was shocked to find feces in it. Yes feces and it had the same coating on it as the dog food so this had to occur at the processing plant. So God only knows how many bags are out there with feces in them.

I then came upon this page and was shocked to see that I was not the only one to have this happen to. I can’t believe I LITERALLY paid 50 dollars for a bag of **. Please save your money. If you want to feed your dogs ** it’s free. You don’t need to buy this expensive dog food. I have found that Bil-Jac is the best dog food. My dog loves it and again like my previous dog has never been sick. I am so disappointed in blue buffalo. I wanted to call and voice my complaint to them but I read in other many other reviews that they did just that and in their words blue buffalo could care less so I don’t know what to do but write this review which I wish we would have read before spending 50 dollars on a bag of **. So disappointing.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We adopted a dog a couple of months ago and purchased Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice dry dog food. Within a couple of weeks our new dog became sick with vomiting and loose stools. The vet put him on Hills i/d and he recovered quickly. Nobody knew what had made him sick so as advised we transitioned back to Blue Buffalo over about 3 weeks. Within a few days of reaching 100% Blue Buffalo he started vomiting again. There seems to be a wave of complaints over the last month of people finding their dogs, some of which have been fed Blue Buffalo for years, are suddenly getting sick. In conjunction with their recall 2 years back I won't be buying their products again. Apparently their quality control isn't sufficient.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have a Terrier mix named Buddy. Buddy is going on 12 years old with never any issues. Because I like most dog owners consider our pets like family I wanted to provide Buddy the best food for him I can buy. After watching a television commercial about Blue Buffalo I decided to try it. I slowly added small amounts of Blue Buffalo with Buddy's usual dry food to wean him onto Blue Buffalo slowly.

Buddy is housebroken and would never go potty inside the house. After about a week Buddy started vomiting and had constant bad diarrhea with mucus and blood. Buddy would sometimes even after very late walks still go potty inside. It was not just one random episode but sometimes 3 or 4 times a night on the carpet. This broke my heart that somehow I took a perfectly fine dog and turned him into something he has never displayed before. I took Buddy to the Vet and he told me I was the eighth dog brought in with the same symptoms. He went on to say that Blue Buffalo was the worst choice of dog food to give to Buddy.

After his weekly medication with a diet of white rice and chicken Buddy is almost back to normal. The vet diagnosed Buddy with Acute Colitis. I am sure some people may have had a different experience but mine is a stern warning to absolutely avoid this dog food. This was an experience that took up way too much time, deep heartbreak, carpet cleaning, vet bill, and unnecessary stress. Now my conscience is clear, you have been warned. Take care.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have an almost 11 year old Morkie (Yorkie/Maltese mix). I’ve had her on Blue Buffalo products since she was 3-4 years old. Never had issue, until now. She has been experiencing terrible GI issues. Diarrhea on and off. Full of mucus and blood. The stool was black. I took her to the vet and he advised my dog was the 6th dog he treated with GI issues that all were on Blue Buffalo this month alone. He recommended Hill's Science or Royal Canin. I am still not sure I like those brands either. I put her on a home cooked chicken and rice diet and of course on the medications prescribed and she seemed to get better. My mistake was trying to incorporate Blue Buffalo again as that has always been her food. My baby is a senior and GI issues are common, but after incorporating the food again she went right back to the GI problems. Please, do your pet and yourself a favor and steer away from Blue Buffalo to avoid GI issues in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I had switched to Blue Buffalo can food, Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Senior and also Rocky Mountain Red Meat Senior, both in cans. I have 3 cockapoos. Winston developed osterscarama and diarrhea, too sick. He was put to sleep when he couldn't breathe anymore. He had cancer in his throat and esophagus. The others 2 cockapoos had been having tarry black stools, diarrhea and vomiting. One was explosive all over the floor. Both were too sick. I stopped using the cans. I had been feeding them rice, boiled chicken, boiled egg. They are getting better now. Put these food on recall, please....

Original review: June 7, 2019

My Beagle loves the Blue Training treats. We have tried several, and these seem to be his favorite. He begs to train several times a day. He learns to be an obedient pup, and we get a well trained friend for life. Win, win!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a 3½ yr old Weimaraner and he had been on Eukanuba since we had got him but our vet suggested we might try and switch him to a little better quality food. So we chose to go with the Blue Buffalo brand, and everything was ok for about the first week, but after that he started getting horrible diarrhea. And we had just got a puppy as a companion for him but unfortunately she had Giardia when we got her, and so we thought maybe he may have picked it up from the new puppy. But we had a stool sample tested for him and the vet said it had came back negative for everything. And the diarrhea had gotten so bad at that point, he was crying while he was pooping.

So we asked the vet what to do and they told us to try and switch foods, so we switched him to Nutro Essentials, which I hear is a pretty good food and what we now have the puppy on as well. And a day and a half after we switched his food, his stools started getting back to normal. And now it has been almost a week and all is good now. I believe it was the Blue Wilderness brand of Blue Buffalo, and I don't know what it was doing to my dog internally, but I'm glad everything seemed to have worked out. Hope this helps others make their decision about dog foods. Oh and I forgot to mention I also noticed around the time when my dog started crying while trying to poop, that a strip of his fur, on top of his head going from ear to ear, had turned colors. It almost looked as if he was losing all the hair in that area. Not sure if it was related, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also years ago, when my cousin had just got her puppy, she chose Blue Buffalo and when she poured some into the bowl for her pup, there were 6 or 7 LARGE GOAT TEETH in the food! And yes I'm sure they were goat teeth, we scoured Google to find out what they were. So from my experience, I would recommend that you stay away from the entire line of Blue Buffalo's products at all costs!

Blue Buffalo Pet Foods Company Information