Beneful Pet Foods

Beneful Pet Foods

2.1/5 (2670 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Beneful Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Beneful Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Fresh and quality ingredients. Always available wherever I go to purchase, as well. Easy to open and close packaging as well too. My dog always seems to prefer this brand.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My dog is a very picky eater! Some days he barely touched his food. Beneful Dry for small dogs, is the only dry he'll eat! I leave a good amount in his bowl and when he's hungry, he'll graze from it, alongside his other bowl with grilled chicken and shredded Monterey Jack cheese!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have two big dogs, and my store seems to always be out of the 40 pound bags. Luckily, the 16 pound bags are nearly the same price per ounce, so we "make do".

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My dog is a picky eater and I have trouble finding food he likes. I have tried many different kinds and Beneful is one that he does eat. There is one of the morsels that he won't eat though, a reddish color. He will eat one bag and I have to change to something else for the crazy dog. I keep it stocked up so he can have a different kind when he tires of the others.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My cocker has a hard time eating the Beneful Pet Food, even though the niblets are small. He doesn't like the beef at all, he likes the original or chicken flavor. It is reasonably priced, even for the small bag.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have a 11 year old Dachshund named Stumpy. All his life he was fed Beneful. The original and healthy weight. About three years ago I noticed his behavior changing rapidly. He was consuming mass amounts of water and food at one time. We took him to the vet to get him checked out. They ran a bunch of tests and found out that he has a rare disease called Cushing's disease. It's an abnormality that developed in his liver. I absolutely believe his disease was caused by the Beneful. I joined the class action lawsuit only to find out that Purina had won the case.

Very sad. Stumpy has to have testing done twice a year and his test ranges from $300-$500, on top of that he has to take medication everyday that cost $100 a month. We were informed that this disease will cut his life short. I take part of the blame for my dog's illness, I shouldn't have trusted any dog food brand and I should've made my own. But Purina should be ashamed of themselves and the judge who ordered in favor of Purina. My heart goes out to all other pet owners who have suffered the effects of this terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Purina Beneful contains vegetables which are helpful and my dog really enjoys the taste. It also has several flavors to choose from so he doesn't get bored. Purina Beneful is also sold in several stores in my area so the convenience of that helps with our busy lifestyle.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have had a great experience with Beneful. My dog loves it. One of a few brands I choose for him to eat. We have no problems with this brand or anything in the brand. He is a small adult dog and the size of the food is just right for him.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Tash was on Rachael Ray and started turning her nose up at it, pushing it out of her bowl. My daughter fed her dogs Beneful and I tried it even though it was cheaper. Tash loved it and her coat is fine. Just as active and happy as ever. No ILL effects. Just a dog who eats her food without throwing it out of the bowl.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

With my dog's old food she appeared to act like a dog much much older than her 5 years on earth. I worried about her energy level because she had no desire to do anything but lay in her cage and sleep. After only a few weeks of changing her food to Purina Beneful the change in her demeanor was incredible. She was acting her vibrant age!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I buy Purina Beneful Healthy Weight because my dog came from a family of diabetics. She loves it. It's price worthy and I can keep her weight down. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My dog seems to like the flavors. I trying to buy different flavors each time. She appears to be healthy. I have not had to schedule an appointment with her vet for about a year.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We were informed - after feeding our dog Beneful for over 5 years - that we were actually destroying his liver. He became lethargic and several instances of spitting up his saliva and choking, we switched him off it. As he got older, he could no longer eat kibbles so he spent his final years eating canned food.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

My lab mix Rosie 6th old normally eats Kibble and Bits. Because of commercial I decided to try Beneful. I'm lucky in a sense, I mixed it with her Kibble and Bits. It took about a week and she began vomiting. Took her to the vet and was given nausea meds. A few days later Rosie was covered in a rash. It was in her ears, mouth, rectum, and vagina! Please tell others what Beneful did to your dog(s).

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Fed my beloved pom chi, who had been in very good health, this horrible food. Cesar dry food. The first night all three of my dogs happily gobbled it up. The next day, my pom chi had diarrhea. Within two days he was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea. He died in my car on the way to the vet. Vet insistent he had been exposed to a poison of some sort. The ONLY thing he had been into was Cesar dog food. One of the other dogs has had a little blood on his stools. We immediately put them back on Taste of the Wild. (The Cesar purchase was only because we ran out and the pet food store was closed!!!) We will be watching him like a hawk- and into the vet at the slightest hint of vomiting or diarrhea. Shame on these companies for selling poisoned garbage.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Our last dog ate nothing but Beneful and had terrible health issues that mirrored those symptoms for which Purina issued a recall of Beneful. Our dog suffered terribly before he passed away at 9 years old after experiencing internal bleeding and liver failure.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This dog food poisoned and killed my boyfriend's dog 2 years ago. They should be shut down! It has killed many dogs, still stores carry it. I do hope I see the day these companies are hit with many lawsuits.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have my 11 month old GSD Beneful for 4 days and came home to my dog covered in vomit and diarrhea two days in a row. I had to clean the walls, floor, cage, and the dog. THIS FOOD IS POISONOUS AND THE COMPANY SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS FOR THIS. There are close to 2000 similar complaints. NEVER EVER BUY THIS AND RETURN IT ALL.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I changed my dog slowly to Beneful Incredibites. Shortly, after the change he began vomiting and had diarrhea. And, regular, messy accidents in the house. It has been frustrating. I've done the vet thing, withheld food, gradually re-added bland food, etc. Never in a million years did I think the Beneful may have caused the problem. My dog will not be getting Beneful again.

Original review: July 8, 2017

My 6-year old beagle was slightly overweight and the vet recommended switching her to a weight management diet. I have used Purina products with other animals in the past and I decided to purchase Beneful because it was touted as a healthier option and had a weight management version. She was in very good health according to two vets (except that she was taking in too many calories), no problems with her blood work, etc. After a few months on Beneful she lost about 8 lbs, putting her back into a healthy weight, however she started vomiting and having diarrhea. We thought she'd gotten into something but couldn't find evidence of her eating anything outside of her Beneful. She was put on a bland diet and given meds to treat acid indigestion, combat nausea/vomiting, etc. She seemed to get better for a few weeks.

When we switched her back to Beneful, the nausea and vomiting began showing up, almost in a cycle. She would be OK for a week or so, then vomiting, diarrhea. The vet couldn't find anything abnormal in her blood work and ruled out parasites. After a few rounds of the same problems, she began having stools that were gelatinous and bloody. The vet was still unable to find the problem, they kept thinking she got into something wrong and just recommended we put her back on the bland diet. I've spent well over $2,000 in vet bills with no answers. It finally occurred to me to look online to see if I could make some connection to what was making her sick. I stumbled across the info about a Beneful lawsuit. It NEVER occurred to me that the dog food could have been what was causing her problems.

As I read other dog owner's horror stories, they were very similar to mine. Apparently the lawsuit was dropped because no-one has been able to effectively prove Beneful is directly responsible for the deaths and illnesses. My sweet girl is still here with us, but her health is terrible, she continues to have accidents in the house, vomiting and diarrhea, and some days she just refuses to eat. I fear the damage done to her system is irreparable. I am currently making her dog food to ensure that I know what is in it. She has fewer symptoms with the bland diet, but she was eating Beneful for so long, that I don't think she's going to recover.

Please, if you're reading this, do NOT feed your dog Beneful. I hope that Purina will take action to either fix the problem or pull the line from the shelves. There is no reason that our companions should have to suffer due to negligence on Purina's part.

Original review: June 21, 2017

My service Dog, Shadow. I started feeding her Beneful, due to the rave reviews and how healthy it was supposed to be. She was eating it for a short time. Then she wouldn't eat. Laid around a lot, did not want to do anything. I rescued dogs from NYC, where there were dog fighting rings. I would take the bait dogs, the dogs thrown in the middle. I know animals. So I palpated her stomach and found she was in a lot of pain, where her spleen was. I rushed her to the Vet's office, by that time it was too late. Her spleen had ruptured and she was bleeding internally. She died in my arms. My little girl. I had an autopsy done and then cremated her. She had been poisoned by the food. They found Propylene Glycol in her system. It was too late. It was from the food I had been feeding her. I will never forgive the company, you took my little girl from me.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I fed my 65 pound, 12 year old American Pit Bull Terrier the exact same food his whole life up until his last 2 weeks. He had just been to the vet 2 days after I changed his food and my vet of 25+ years said, "He's the healthiest Pit Bull I've ever seen at his age" and to keep doing whatever it was that I was doing. I switched him to Beneful because he was getting old and thought it would be easier to chew. After a couple of weeks he all of a sudden woke up having what I thought was a seizure, and started peeing in the chair he was asleep in. I held and comforted him before I moved him to the floor where he then pooped and vomited twice and started panting heavily. Shortly after he couldn't move at all, and he was an extremely active and healthy dog.

So we immediately rushed him to the emergency vet that night, and I rode in the back with him all the way so he wouldn't be scared and know that I was close. He tried to stand up twice but could only barely use his front legs, his hind legs were completely limp. I had no idea that I was slowly watching my baby/best friend fade away the entire time. The emergency vet took him out of my arms and carried him in and he just looked lost with a blank look in his eyes. That was the last time I ever saw what I loved more than anything else in this world. The vet was asking if there had been any head trauma, and eventually just told me it was a stroke or aneurysm.

After reading a lot of these reports on here with a lot of very similar testimonies, and watching the documentary, "Pet Fooled", I'm 100% sure it was this food that caused it. I can't begin to explain the amount of psychological and emotional stress and amount of pain that I have had to deal with. I was with that dog 24/7-365 a year, ever since he was 6 weeks old, and there's NOTHING in this world that can ever fill the void it left in my life. This has got to stop. Nobody else should have to experience what I went through all because you tried to do something to raise your pet's quality of life. R.I.P. Jasper 4/25/04 - 2/-15-17.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Beneful dog food is one of the first dog foods We fed Our beloved Min-Pin, but that changed real quick. When we brought her home We took her to Our local Vet. She was healthy as all get out. We choose to feed our dog Beneful because of all the sweet Commercials and claims they made during their commercials. Little did we know, Beneful was affecting our dog's liver and killing it slowly but surely, within 1 year. YIKES we thought if we keep feeding our pet Beneful Our dog will be dead within another year or two. So we tried an experiment our own and switch dog foods. Lo and behold our dog’s liver improved a lot since taking her off of beneful dog food... but I will say this company is brilliant. Dogs love the hell out of beneful. If you ever look at beneful it looks like a bowl of mini chewy treats and very soft.

So the moral of this story is stay away from Beneful dog food if you want your dog alive longer than five years without liver problems. No disrespect to "Beneful". You do make an obvious Tasty food for dogs... but your ingredients is equivalent to a McDonald's triple cheeseburger with 4 extra greasy sausages stuffed in the middle with extra grease poured on top??? There was another dog owner with the same issue. Did Beneful admit to these claims when confronted... Of course not. According to beneful we're probably bad dog owners and that's why the majority of dogs eat beneful get liver issues right??? And I guess you might have those few people that think this product is the greatest thing on the market and their dog does cartwheels on the front lawn. I would definitely reconsider when you take that beneful bag off the shelf... It's not fair to your pet.

Original review: May 2, 2017

My dog has been eating Purina Beneful original dog for a couple weeks now. After a few days she started losing her appetite, would skip one meal or both some days but we thought maybe she was just having common stomach problems because she would eat grass outside and had gas. After the first week, we started noticing hair loss on her hind legs and stomach area, as well as weird skin problems that were flaky and looked like scratches on the inside and outside of her legs. Her stomach is now bloated and hanging down more than before and I was told by a colleague about this dog food.

I did my research, threw the remaining dog food away and made a vet appt. Now that she is eating another food, she hasn't skipped a meal yet. The vet visit isn't until later this week so I'm not sure what the damage is yet internally or what the weird scratches and skin problems are on her legs but I, like most people, don't have thousands of dollars to spend on the vet because of a company that puts harmful ingredients to dogs in their dog food. Please don't buy this food if you love your dog. Spend the extra money to ensure your pet's health.

Original review: May 2, 2017

Last Saturday, my dog was happy, she played, was energetic. I opened the new bag of Beneful and fed her. A little later, she started vomiting and became extremely lethargic. I took her to the vet yesterday and blood tests showed her liver number's incredibly high. The vet asked a lot of questions about what she might have consumed but the dog food was all she ate. I have been feeding my dog Beneful for several years, although she was never enthusiastic about it. No more. I cannot definitively say this dog food caused this problem but common sense says it did. I hope she recovers.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I was given a few small bags of this food from a friend who's dogs never touched the stuff and my dogs have been vomiting ever since we fed them the first bowl. I'm super concerned that they might not get to feeling better or worse could die from this. How is this food still on the market and exactly what is in there that is making this many dogs violently ill?

Original review: April 22, 2017

I would always buy the Healthy Weight Beneful for my Jack Russell Terrier and he would have blood in his poop too. I thought it was from him eating grass or dirt. I just bought Purina this month because the 20lb bag was on sale for $7 bucks and then I read all these and I had the same problem. But now since he no longer is eating it he is not having the runs. Good thing Purina was on sale because I would have bought Beneful.

Original review: April 21, 2017

My 8 month old Rott is on his death bed after eating this food. He is in the hospital with dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea for days. $1600 later and he is still not better. This company needs to be shut down!

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have an 8 yr old black lab in great health and a 1 yr old Chihuahua and min-pin mix male in great health. I fed them a total of 2 Bowls of Purina Beneful dry dog food healthy weight over two days time. Today my dog's do nothing but vomit and they have had severe diarrhea and my littlest one, the Chihuahua Min Pin has severe bloody diarrhea. Keep in mind this has never happened to my dogs before, ever, from anything and this is happening from only two bowls of this dog food.

This needs to be pulled off of shelves immediately and taken off the market. This is absolutely toxic. I never could imagine a food could do this to my pets. I'm only hoping that they will survive. I have two one-year-old cats that also like dog food, they ate a couple pieces on day one and I haven't seen either cat at all since then, unfortunately they're probably dead somewhere due to this food. I can't believe that this food is actually legal and being sold legitimately. Please recall this food and ban it immediately for the sake of other pets and their pet owners.

Original review: April 4, 2017

My 8 year old Weimaraner Hans & my 7 year old Weimaraner Bailey both vomited uncontrollably after eating this food. Hans is skin and bones and looks like he hasn't eaten in weeks. Bailey is usually a bit chunky and her ribs are showing! We had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of bedding and pillows on top of trying to take care of our very sick dogs. Both have been fine lately and only thing different is the food. We are now praying our dogs don't die. I don't understand what is wrong with this company.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information