2. Pets

Beneful Pet Foods

3.9/5 (793 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Beneful Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Beneful Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: March 27, 2021

Let’s start with a few disclaimers: 1) dogs, all dogs, are world class scavengers and will eat almost anything (my dog loves to eat cat, rabbit poop and other nasty things he randomly finds). If they have become picky, it’s by the environment they are provided 2) some people/families treat their animals as part of the family (I certainly do) and therefore want the best for them 3) arguably there is a sense of ownership/parental pride in providing the “best” food possible for your beloved pet 4) I’ve fed my dog blue Buffalo/blue wilderness for the last 5.5 years

I switched to Beneful 4-5 months ago and have seen zero issues my 6 year old rescue... No diarrhea, no lethargy, no vomiting as other owners have pointed out and he has also checked out healthy at his latest check up. He has gained a little weight but he is mid life, we all do! And to be fair, I give him an extra quarter cup because he can’t his head in the bowl fast enough as soon as it’s chow time. In my experience with Beneful, I won’t recommend it, you do what you want with your pet but will say my dog is happy with no apparent side effects. Bon appetite

Original review: July 3, 2021

I am appalled and heartbroken!! I have a 15 yr old Bischon Frise and I have been feeding her soft food for the past year. She seemed to enjoy Beneful Medleys in the beginning, but now I just think it was just a habit of eating time. Lexi began having frequent accidents and we figured it was due to age. She also began vomiting and having diarrhea. This was concerning. I just bought two 30 count boxes at Kroger for $18.99 and fed her Thursday. She began having an uncontrollable seizure and is still shaking. She is unable to stand. She immediately turns her head at the sight of the food!! I am meticulously ensuring she gets her water. After reading all the reviews and realizing this has been an ongoing problem since “2012” and it persists in “2021”!! I am extremely upset!! I have had Lexi since she was 6 weeks old and she is now 15 years old. She should die of natural causes; not causes from Beneful Medleys!

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I purchased Purina Beneful Prepared Meals Savory Rice & Lamb Stew with Peas & Carrots Wet Dog Food, 10-oz, case of 8 for my 2 yr old twin pups, Brody and Brandy. Within a week, my husband and I had to bring both of them to the ER. Brody had a seizure while he was eating the food on 2/25/21 and our Brandy was vomiting blood with diarrhea last night, 3/4/21, after eating the food, and we just got home at 5am this morning. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS with this food!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I bought a Shorkie for my daughter who graduated high school this year. I thought the wet foods would be more "beneficial" than dry so noticed Beneful on the shelf. Honestly, without researching its history, I purchased it because of the variety of foods included- lamb, chicken, carrots, rice... It sounded and actually looked appealing. Boy, do I regret it.

King, our Shorkie, seemed to really enjoy the meals. However, I noticed that he would often seem lethargic. He would also vomit on a regular basis and experience indigestion. There were also times blood was noticed in his stool. When he began to just lay around, I took him to vet for a visit because I wasn't sure what was wrong (i.e. clueless new dog owner). He was checked out and appeared to be fine. I was told we might have been feeding him too much.

A couple of months passed. The symptoms waxed and waned. Then, my son called one morning when I was at work and told me there was something wrong with King. He wasn't playful. He was whining a great deal, vomiting, and lethargic. This behavior occurred for the entire day. When I arrived home he was stretched out in his kennel, almost lifeless. I took him in for an emergency visit with the vet. We discussed the food King was being fed and it was recommended to steer clear of wet dog foods. "Granny's Pooh" as I refer to him was given two shots, a prescription, and some food to help settle his little tummy.

Therefore, I have not fed him Beneful anymore. Since I stopped feeding him the product two weeks ago he has not experienced any of the symptoms mentioned. I'm thankful to my vet because I believe his recommendation saved King's life. Although it might not be something I can prove I'm convinced Beneful was the culprit for King's illness. I don't know the long-term effects this might have on him but am prayerful there won't be any harmful, lingering side effects. Just as we should be mindful of what we put into our bodies, I am now more cognizant of what King consumes. I hope this review helps someone else make a decision to "steer clear".

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

We ran out of Costco puppy chow and went to the grocery store real quick and picked this product up. This is looking back in hindsight. A few days later our puppy was sick and throwing up constantly. She was taken to the vet and they saw her intestines were enlarged. They performed exploratory surgery thinking maybe an obstruction. Found nothing. She came home and the same thing happened. She stopped eating her food. Took back to the vet several times and Her weight keeps getting lower. Currently doing a stool sample and blood analysis.

I started thinking today we changed her food right before this happened. I saw the reviews on here and it all came together. My dog wasn’t eating but I just went to the store and got Blue Buffalo. She immediately started eating it while before wanted nothing to do with her Purina Beneful. She knew it was bad the whole time. Do not buy this food. I spent over a $1000 figuring this out and my dog went through hell. I also see from other reviews some dogs have died. Do not buy!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

We had fed this food to our dog for a while. The last bag we just purchased was not marked in any way that the formula or ingredients were changed, but the food clearly looked and smelled differently. Our dog ate it for three days and was extremely ill after the first day. Severe vomiting occurred and he needed to see a vet. Liver enzymes were extremely elevated. We never thought that dog food could be unsafe, but we will now carefully research. Do not purchase this food.

Original review: July 19, 2020

My furry babies, Princess Tia (13 yr Toy Poodle) and Henri (4 yr Lhasa Apso), have enjoyed Beneful for a few years now. Recently, they both were very ill. They both suddenly started vomiting and couldn't keep anything down. I threw out the Beneful Chicken bag of dog food and purchased another variety of Beneful. The vomiting did not subside. I started feeding them boiled rice and chicken. The vomiting subsided. I changed them to Blue Buffalo and haven't had any more issues. There is a remarkable difference in the behaviour of the elderly poodle, who is back to her spunky younger self. I will never feed them Beneful again!

I honestly believe the Beneful bags of food do not tolerate heat well. We recently started ordering our dog food online and having it shipped. And the weather in Ohio has been in the 90s. Prior to the pandemic we shopped at the store, therefore the temp of the bag was more controlled. Not sure what ingredient they are using compared to Blue Buffalo that encourages bacteria growth once left in warm temps for extended time. I'm just glad my precious furry babies are back to ruling our home :)

Original review: May 11, 2020

I have 6 chihuahuas, they are all 10+ years old. I have spent so much time and money trying to feed them right and always ended up disappointed. That is until I tried Purina Beneful. They all have more energy, have lost weight and really drastically changed their behaviors. They are so much more active. They love this food! Thanks Purina, I appreciate it.... They appreciate it!

Original review: April 23, 2020

My dog has been on Hills Science Diet Dental care bites his entire life. He’s 10yrs old now, and I was thinking the hard food was getting to be too hard for his teeth, so I figured I’d try a wet food to see if he’d like it. So I bought him Beneful Incredibites. We went through one box of cans, and everything seemed fine. He was a little lethargic, but I thought maybe his age was just starting to get to him. Started on the next box, fed him a can, in about 30min, he started vomiting blood And food everywhere. He’s a 10lb Pomeranian, and I swear the amount of blood that he vomited looked like it came from a 90lb dog.

I rushed him to the vet, they did blood work and his liver levels were through the roof. He had just had his senior blood work done the month before, so they were thankfully able to compare the tests. The vet gave us multiple medications for him to take for the next 2 weeks to help his liver and stomach, and advised I put him back on the Hills Science Diet.

I put him back on his regular food, took him back to the vet a month later to check his levels, and sure enough his liver levels were back to normal. I 100% believe Beneful Incredibites almost killed my dog. Please, for the love of your pets, stay far away from any kind of food this company makes! I will never forgive myself for feeding this poison to my dog.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I have a 7 year old yorkie and a 5 year old Bichon. I switched my dogs to this food recently. They both ate it and were fine the whole day. The following morning my Yorkie grew very very ill. I’ve had him all 7 years and he has NEVER EVER been sick. He began to vomit, the first of which was all the food.. I figured his stomach just wasn’t agreeing with his food which has happened before. But he wouldn’t stop throwing up. So I scheduled and appointment with the vet, laid with him for about an hour and that seemed to help. But then it got worse and fast. He started throwing up BLOOD ONLY, was whining so loud in pain, very anxious and lethargic. It couldn’t wait until our scheduled appointment so I brought him in. By the time we got here he was freezing cold and severely dehydrated and just was not his self. His health was declining extremely fast. The vet said if I would've waited he would’ve died.

My Bichon was not as bad as my Yorkie. But you can hear that the food really upset his stomach, he did not eat the day my Yorkie was sick and now has a cyst like bump near his anus. Neither one of my dogs have EVER had health issues and it’s not a coincidence that they both started experiencing problems around the same time. DO NOT FEED this food to your dogs! IT IS A KILLER!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Seriously, dog owners, stay away from this food! My two dogs had bloody stools after eating this food. My dogs were getting bored with their food, so I bought the Beneful dry food to change it up. They both got bloody diarrhea for days. I immediately Googled this brand and discovered that other pet owners were having the same trouble. I threw the food out right away and started them on Wellness dry food. No more bloody stools. This food should be pulled off the shelves!!! I don’t understand how this dangerous food is being allowed to be sold!!!! It outrages me!!! Do your research on safe and healthy dog food. We love our pets and want the best for them. Shame on this company for just trying to make a buck on this crap that is making our dogs sick!!!!

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information