Beneful Pet Foods

Compare Dog Food

Research top Dog Food recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My dog is a very healthy 1 1/2 yr old with a great appetite. My husband brought home Beneful dog food and strangely, my dog did not want to eat it. He has NEVER turned down any food before! We knew he was hungry but, he just did not want anything to do with that food. I offered him the small amount of the other food we had left and he scarfed it down. He was so hungry. Later I tried the Beneful again, he still didn't want it. Reluctantly, later in the day he did finally eat some of the Beneful and then began to vomit all over the house!

This dog food is toxic! He has never gotten sick before and is not a picky eater. He knew this food was bad but, finally gave in to his hunger. I feel terrible for allowing this toxic food into my house. I also have another dog, she never touched the Beneful, COMPLETELY refused to eat it! This food needs to be taken off the market and the company sued! Too many pets are getting sick and dying! When is enough, enough?

I started giving this food one week ago to my dog (Purina Beneful Incredibites), and 2 days ago I noticed something strange in the dogs bed. It looked like intestines with something black attached to it (very strange). I did not pay any attention to it at the time although it made me wonder what it was. Today I found something similar with vomit and I started to worry about my dogs health. I even took pictures of it to show them to the vet. I started searching for information trying to figure out what was this thing that my dog vomited, and I found there are other complaints about this product, dogs that have died after eating this food for months, with mass in the stomach found.

I called Purina (1-888-236-3385) and put a complaint, but the lady that answered kept saying that there were no complaints about that product. I gave the number on the bar scan and the number below the expiration date. I told them to take that food out of stores. My next complaint will be at Walmart where I bought it. Please if anyone has had the same issue with this product make it public on social media, to stop people from purchasing this product and harming their dogs.

This company disgusts me! How many dogs need to die or become ill before they pull this crap off the shelf? My yellow lab ate this poison for three years and started having seizures. Luckily, I read an article about a class action lawsuit against these losers. I immediately changed his dog food. Within a month or two he completely stopped having them. Hasn't had another seizure.

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing my beloved dog Chloe pass away last week on 02/02/17. She was only 7 years old when she died. She was a very vibrant, active mastiff pit husky mix. As a result of my own health issues I had to stop working and could no longer afford the expensive natural dog food (Taste of the Wild) that she was used to eating since she was a puppy. I mean I really went bottom of the barrel when I think about it because I feel that most of the dog food on the store shelves is garbage. I should have done my research.

Needless to say about 4 months ago I had to switch her dog food to a more affordable option. Beneful Healthy Weight is what I went with. I felt reassured that it was a good alternative because it's been around for a long time and I'd seen it on TV. Boy was I wrong!! I should have paid heed when I noticed that she would leave a large portion of the food in her bowl for days but I kept on filling her bowl with that toxic dog food. She much rather eat her dog treats.

Days before she started vomiting yellow bile she became desperately thirsty and I thought it was really odd. I was praying that she would get better and kept an eye on her to see if any other symptoms cropped up. She seemed to be more tired too. She vomited bile for days and then she wouldn't even eat or drink anything. I tried to get her to eat plain rice and boiled some ground beef as the vet suggested but to no avail. She refused to eat. I was not able to take her to the vet because I had no income and the vets wouldn't see her without payment up front. In the end she suffered so terribly. It was horrible to watch! I only hope that anyone who reads this takes heed and never buy that brand of dog food because I truly believe it is what killed her.

My dog is a black lab and has been eating the food Beneful for 14 years. He always ate his own poop and other animals poop and I always have thought it was normal behavior. He would occasionally get sick and throw up his food. He started doing it more in the last year every single week. He became very skinny and would barely eat his food. I could see his ribs. I started working at Petco and learned about dog nutrition and learned what a horrible food Beneful is. The reason why dogs eat their own poop is because they aren't getting enough nutrition from their food and would rather eat their own poop than the food that makes them sick.

Beneful has tons of recalls on it and is making several dogs sick and dying. I switched my dog to a grain free food and he doesn't eat his poop, gained weight back and is active as ever. He will be 16 in April and I think the only reason why he is still alive is because of the food switch. It's never too late. Please switch off this terrible food to prevent thousands of dollars in vet bills and your best friend suffering. Rule of thumb for everyone, don't ever buy any pet food or treats from the grocery store, none of those foods are good quality, pet store only. Avoid Iams, Purina, Pedigree, Diamond, Cesar, Fromm. Go grain free it'll make their poop more solid and can be processed more easily. Please get smart and research everything you feed to your dog, it could save their life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

I am writing on behalf of my mom, who is too upset and distraught to write a review, or further look into her beloved Great Dane's death. My mom was the proud owner of a very hyper, yet loving Great Dane; who she had owned for the past 2 years, since he was old enough to come home from the breeder. My mom had always given Harley (her Great Dane) the same brand/type of dog food, and had never had any issues. Harley also was up to date on vaccinations, and showed no prior medical concerns. My mom had planned to visit me for a few days, in which she left the dogs (she has 2) in the company of a close friend to take care of. This was also not the first time my mom had traveled, nor the first time he was taken care of by this particular dog sitter.

Well, prior to my mom leaving for the airport, she ran out of her monthly scheduled/shipped dog food, so she ran to the store and grabbed a small bag to hold over until the shipment arrived (2 days later). Little did I know, she grabbed a bag of Beneful, dry dog food. I personally know of all the recalls and negative reviews with owners claiming it had killed/sickened their dog - but my mom was not aware. 24-hours on the new dog food, we received a phone call that Harley seemed very lethargic, laid on the couch/pretty motionless. He didn't have the same spark, or didn't jump up and bark at (the dog sitter) when they arrived, like Harley had always done. In fact, Harley really didn't move much. We video chatted with Harley, thinking maybe he was depressed my mom had left him, but no excitement from him. His gums were still pink, nose was moist - other than being "tired" or lethargic, the signs you look for, seemed to check out.

This is when I learned of the brand of dog food she bought him, and that's when I alarmed her of the bad reviews and lawsuits. She asked the dog sitter to check on him in a few hours, and at that point, decide if he needed to go to a vet, or if he was better... just as anyone would do, even if home. Monitor before deciding... in the meantime, my mom called her vet and her vet pretty much informed her the same - to take him to the vet if he doesn't get better, or if his gums turn white, etc.

A few hours later, we received a frantic call from the dog sitter, who was already in route to the emergency vet. (mind you, he had to pick up and transport a 150 lb. dead weight dog!) By this point, less than 3 hours later, Harley's heart rate seemed to rapidly decline, and his mouth smelled of bile - he was rushed to the emergency vet, but by the time he made it and they checked him on the table, there was unfortunately no heartbeat, and he was pronounced deceased.

After further review, the Dr. instructed us the cause of death was bloat. While they informed us bloat can be common in Great Danes - it seemed odd to me that he never had any issues, he also used a Slow-Bowl, so not to inhale his food; and that the only change was his diet - the change from a dog food he always ate, to Beneful dry food, and 24-hours later, he was sick, less than 36 dead. After reading reviews, I believe Beneful is the culprit. DO NOT buy Beneful!!!

My heart weighs heavy as I just so happened to stumble across the concerns related to Beneful dog food. Back in December of 2011 we brought our 10 week old golden retriever, Bella, home to meet her new family which consisted of mom, dad, and 3 boys. We were delighted to welcome her into our family, it was new beginnings for us as a family. She was our sweet baby girl and loved so dearly.

In September of 2014 she became ill (peeing in the house, stopped eating, drinking enormous amounts of water, lethargic). We took her to the vet assuming she may have consumed something or had an obstruction. X-rays were taken to rule out any blockage, they were negative. They wanted to start an IV and antibiotics but we opted for blood work to find the cause. We took her home that night and in the morning I received that dreaded phone call. Bella had excessive amounts of potassium in her system and was in kidney failure. Our options - put her down or let her suffer another day or two and let her pass on her own! We made the decision to put her down later that day and end her suffering. I remember the drive to the school to bring my boys home so they can say their last goodbyes. I choked back the tears as I delivered the news to them. It was the saddest day of our lives.

This all happened so quickly and there was nothing we could do to change anything. She showed no signs of illness throughout her few short years with us, was taken to the vet regularly, no unusual sicknesses other than occasional stomach issues (which I thought were normal) but Bella was fed Beneful from the time she was a puppy.

We have since adopted a rescue dog (Great Dane/Lab) who just turned 5, we've had her for almost two years now. Initially we had her on a different food but due to cost and convenience we switched her to Beneful thinking it was ok for Bella it will be fine for her. However, I have noticed since we switched she seems to be doing things like, eating grass, chewing up her toys, leaving food in her bowl, stuff she was not previously doing but also very similar to what Bella used to do.

I'm thankful but very saddened to have stumbled across this information regarding Issues/concerns others have had regarding Beneful dog food. I went out and purchased a different product for my sweet Tessa girl we have now, the thought of losing her possibly due to a particular brand of food would be heartwrenching. I will not longer purchase this product and believe further research needs to be done. If this is the case and all of these dogs have suffered similar illnesses due to their diet something MUST be done! My thoughts are with each and every pet owner who has suffered a loss!

We are a family of dog owners and rescuers. So far all dogs eat this brand best. It is very consistent in quality and had proper amount of protein and nutrients for health and weight balance.

Our white lab passed away yesterday 01/23/2017. Only 8 1/2 years old. I believe it has been Purina's dog food that got our dog sick, vomiting, diarrhea. We have been giving him this dog food for quite some time Beneful. Some dog food to help maintain weight. It was so sad to see him to go thru what he did. Three days of suffering. Please find an alternative if there is any.

I've been feeding my dog Beneful original formula off and on since I rescued her nearly 10 years ago. There was never an issue as far as I could tell. But about a year ago she stopped showing interest her food and was eating less and less and was also becoming more and more lethargic. She also would frequently eat my other dogs' food who is on a special diet because of allergies. I thought she liked his food better and wasn't as active because she's getting older, but since she was losing weight I started adding wet food to her dry to try to entice her to eat more frequently, which worked. Mostly she has just had runny and mucousy poops from time to time but I thought it was because we were giving her too much wet food, so I would scale it down, and have changed the wet food a few times, but her poops stayed the same.

Three days ago I popped into the grocery store and picked her up a small bag of food to get her through until I could make it to Target to get her the larger bag. I had accidently grabbed the beef Beneful instead of the original and the next day she had runny poops. Then last night I came home from work to find her completely freaked out and absolutely covered in hives, she had also vomited up all of her breakfast. I thought that maybe she was just allergic to the beef so I threw it out and had my boyfriend to stop to get her the original Beneful.

I gave her some ** and the hives went down a little and she seemed more comfortable, and come her usual dinner time she seemed more than ready to eat. Since I also wasn't 100% sure if it was the wet food since she had only been on it for a few months, I only gave her the dry kibbles. Within 30 minutes of eating it she was covered in hives from head to toe, about 3 times worse than they were when I'd first gotten home. I gave her more ** and monitored her to make she wasn't having any respiratory distress etc. She is a very well behaved dog and even though she knows she's not allowed on the bed when we tried to get to calm down and stop itching last night she jumped up on the bed and burrowed into me. I decided to let her sleep in the bed with us since it seemed to help calm her. I woke up several times during the night to the sound of her whimpering, even in her sleep.:(

She had a pretty rough night, but thankfully seemed back to normal and hive free this morning. We of course didn't give her any of the Beneful again today. When I got home from work this evening I Sat down to research the ingredients in the Beneful original formula, the Beneful beef and her wet food so that I could make sure that the new food I get her doesn't contain any of the ingredients found in them. That's when I found this website. I just can't believe that I've been tricking her into eating poison all this time by adding wet food to it. I feel absolutely horrible and I just hope that no irreversible damage was done. :(

At the time when my sweet pup, Fancy, grew ill we had no idea it could be her food. We fed her Beneful dry food for most of her life. And for most of her life she had bathroom issues. And for the months leading up to her death, she had seizures, diarrhea, and ultimately - liver failure that led to her death. My mother and I spent thousands of dollars trying to properly diagnose her illness and hopefully cure her. When we first noticed her issues we did switch her food but looking back knowing what we do know about this food - it was too late. She died in Aug of 2013 and was sick for most of that year. Shame on you Purina - you killed our sweet girl and we were too naive to think her food was killing her.

Every now and then I would buy Purina Beneful products for my beloved "Minnie," who is an SPCA rescued half-poodle/half-yorkie dog that I've had for the past 5 years. She is now only 7 years old. I've noticed that she literally shakes after eating Purina Beneful products but, had no idea that it was the dog food itself that was causing her to shake. I was of the assumption that "Purina," such a well-known American brand dog food, would know what is best for my dog. Boy, was I wrong!

I just looked at all of the symptoms in these reviews of pets that have died after eating this brand of dog food from Purina, and it is the exact same symptoms that my beloved Minnie has been showing every time I feed her this junk. Shame on Purina for putting food coloring in their products that is banned in other countries due to their cancerous properties. I will never buy a Purina product again, and hopefully, I have not damaged my family member's (my dog's) liver and kidney so much by feeding her this junk.

My dog eats Beneful Healthy Weight dry dog food. There is not a lot of grain in it but lots of vegetables and chicken. She has kept the same weight for six years and still enjoys the dog food. It is not terribly expensive and quite often there are coupons that help defer the cost.

I had a very healthy 5 yr old dog that I had had for four years and always fed her Beneful. She went into kidney failure and died in March of 2016. I rescued another dog later that month, she is 3 yrs old, and I have been feeding her Beneful. Now, suddenly, she is showing the same symptoms that my other dog did just weeks before she died! The commonality of their symptoms caused me to see if I could find any issue with Beneful dog food making dogs ill, and lo and behold I come across an entire lawsuit!?! There is no doubt this is an issue and I can't believe the lawsuit was dismissed. This is no coincidence that so many have lost their dogs this way recently, and I am certainly not making up what has happened to my dogs.

It's great. My rescue dogs love it. I love that they even have little bites for smaller dogs like for my Chihuahua mix and they eat everything. They don't pick and leave the rest. It looks tasty and even has soft pieces and has a variety of shapes, color and taste and made with real ingredients. Just the best!

We adopted Charlotte, a Staffordshire, back in April when she was 8 months old. She was already 49 pounds but is healthy and trim. Beneful has good ingredients and is healthy. We tried a few others just to see which is to her liking but we came back to Beneful. She seems to enjoy the Salmon best of the dry food. The price point is much better than a lot of other brands which helps when you're on a budget, plus a well fed happy dog.

We have 2 dogs. One small breed & one large breed. They have been on Pro Plan their whole life. It was recommended by their Vet. Both dogs love the food & both dogs are very healthy. It is available at any pet store. We highly recommend it. :)

When our dog had puppies in 2012, I chose a medium priced dog food thinking it would better. Beneful advertised veggies and meat, and looked like a better quality product. Sadly, it was the first food our beautiful Brutus ever ate and all he was fed for his early years. After hearing the claims that it was harmful, I found info that sounded like the dog food had mold, which I hadn't seen, so I continued feeding it to him and our other two, older dogs. When we tried to change their food, it was hard to find anything they'd eat as well as Beneful.

Now our 5 yr old Brutus, the friendliest, most loving and attentive dog we've ever owned is at the vet's suffering from kidney failure. This dog has never eaten or chewed on anything that we didn't give him. When the vet suggested his kidneys may have been compromised long ago and just got to the point where there were symptoms, I decided to review the Beneful info again.

I found that there are toxins in the food, fit in "acceptable" limits. Well, our baby was ingesting those when his puppy body was growing, when I thought I was giving him something healthy. Since kidneys can operate with up to 75% damage it makes sense that it wasn't obvious earlier. Although he didn't die in a few short weeks after being fed Beneful, it makes sense that those toxins built up in him and finally caused kidney failure. He has never been exposed to anything else that would explain the horrible illness. It's time Purina stepped up and removed Beneful from the shelves. Brutus is a member of our family, - and we are grieving over him.

I just bought a bag of dog food and notice my pitbull while she is eating stop and was getting sick in the bowl and on the floor were huge chunks of moldy dog food. I am unsure if I should take it back to store or keep it in case she gets worse. I don't know what to do. Please help my pet. She is my world.

My ten-month-old puppy, Charlie, has died after eating Purina Beneful dog food. His illness began shortly after eating the food. He started having trouble breathing – a little at first, but within a couple days his sides were heaving and he could no longer run or play. I took him to the vet on Friday and the vet could hear that his heart was in bad shape. He seemed shocked and asked me repeatedly, “You haven't noticed these symptoms before?” "No, it just started." He said to schedule an x-ray the following week. Over the weekend, not yet realizing the problem, I fed my best friend this poison from the palm of my hand thinking if he would just eat he could survive. I had no idea the food was what was killing him and the pain of my actions consumes me. I spent a beautiful day with him outdoors on Sunday. My healthy, active, frisky puppy could only bask in the sun. He had to be carried. He could barely walk on his own. Monday, he couldn't go on.

My baby passed away in my arms. My BEST FRIEND. The canine love of my life, my soulmate. I loved this beautiful, innocent animal as my child. I protected him from owls, from strangers, from fire ants, and sandspurs... But I could not protect him from his own food his life source. I am heartbroken and devastated by his loss. After his death, I racked my brain for every possibility of his illness – and the only change had been in his dog food. Lo and behold, he's not the first and likely will not be the last to lose his life due to a "trusted" brand keeping poison on store shelves.

My baby is gone. My sweet, loving, affectionate, silly, funny, wonderful Charlie is gone. Phi, Alex. I really thought you were a good guy and I hate feeling so disappointed... is there any chance you could do what you said you would do, based on principle, so my final impression of you will be as a man of your word? And if you won't do it, then could you at least tell me why you won't rather than ignoring me, as a man of integrity? Purina, please, please, please stop what you're doing and don't allow another life to be lost.

I have a German Shepherd Greyhound mix. I have had Skippy for 16 years, he was a rescue for my granddaughter's 5th birthday. I have fed Skippy Beneful from the day we brought him home. He is now 18 and his vet says he is in the best shape for his age. The vet asked me what I was feeding him. When I told him he suggested I contact the company and let them know. Skippy is a family member not just a pet, I trained him myself to be a service dog for me I have a severe back injury and am unable to walk some days. I have tried to give Skippy different foods but he loves Beneful, both wet and dry. He has recently had a full blood test done and has no problems with anything except he has arthritis which is not surprising for his age. So I do feel bad for those who have lost their dogs but I for one have no complaints about Beneful dog food.

I was feeding my dogs a brand of dog food that I had to travel to buy. I had seen ads saying that Beneful had a new formulation that had beef as the first ingredient and it was available at a local grocery store so I bought it and over a few days switched the dogs over. The new food was enticing and the dogs seemed to like it. Within a week of being on the food, I came home on a Wednesday night to find my 10 year old golden-doodle Jack very ill. I rushed him to an emergency vet and they found he had a heart rate of 200, had to be put on oxygen because his gums and tongue were grey, and they witnessed the extreme abdominal/back 'contractions' that made me take him there in the first place.

After x-rays, blood tests and an US, they could see no obstructions or anything of immediate concern. They gave him a shot of painkiller and I took him home. He slept most of the next couple days which I chalked up to the painkiller and I spoke with my regular vet saying that I would watch him and come in if necessary. He wasn't eating but was eager for water and was able to get out for walks etc. Sunday was a bad day but Monday and Tuesday he seemed to rebound a bit to his puppy like self and didn't want his kibble but seemed eager to eat. I put some pumpkin, something that he loved and is good for dogs tummies, on his kibble and he licked it all off and left the kibble. Within an hour the contractions started in earnest.

My vet was closed, the emergency vet over an hour away. I lay beside him comforting him and waiting for the episodes to subside but they didn't. I had an appointment the next day at my own vet and thought we would certainly get there. At one point I was sitting on the couch on the phone with someone and he got up, came over to me, put his paw on my knee and fell over backwards. He didn't get up again and by 4:30 in the morning he was dead. I was with him until the end. I ran over the preceding weeks trying to figure out what I could have done to contribute to such a drastic change in a beautiful healthy animal and I decided to look up Beneful to see if there was anything online about this brand, something in hindsight, I should have done before buying it.

I was shocked by what I read. Jack's symptoms were exactly what many pet owners had documented with their own pet's after putting them on Beneful... there were hundreds!! Many cases had ended up with the death of a beloved animal like mine. Purina, although a recipient of these complaints and a class action lawsuit, continues to promote and distribute this brand.

My little dog Wilson is now refusing to eat kibble... I've reverted to travelling for the other brand again... and I am watching for similar symptoms. He is a little tank with an ironclad constitution so I'm hoping this is just grief and not illness. Stay away from this brand. I've informed my local grocery of Jack's death. Because Purina is such a big company, they are uncertain what, if anything they can do but the manager has promised to pass my concerns on to head office with a reference to the online info. I trusted a brand because of advertising and have paid the ultimate price. Buyer beware.

Purina get rid of this dog food! My dog 9 yr old Scottish terrier was eating Healthy Weight Beneful. Got really sick puking, drinking tons of water. Dehydrated took her to vet she stayed the day got IVs and they gave her a prescription dog food. $350 new food and she was fine immediately. Once again, not realizing it was the food I introduced her to Beneful again puking a lot. Bought another bag of prescription food. She was fine immediately. I started mixing the Beneful with prescription to wean her off last night and at 2am woke up to her throwing up again. Are you really going to tell me it isn't the Beneful dog food? Got online and omg found countless articles. I was giving her this and poisoning her! Take it off the market. I'm on the hunt for a new food. If they cared so much for animals they would take all of these people's accounts into consideration. No it's about the almighty dollar.

We have two dogs that were eating Beneful. Unfortunately, now I only have one dog and she will never eat Beneful again. My beautiful 27 pound Beagle named Lucky died ten days after showing symptoms of being sick. She stopped eating, was vomiting, had diarrhea, and drinking tons of water. Our vet indicated after doing blood work that her kidneys were failing and it was only a matter of time. After she died, my other dog refused to eat the Beneful. She would lay near her food, look at her dish like she was hungry but would not eat. That is when I went online and researched Beneful and the terrible rating Beneful has received and about dogs dying due to eating Beneful. I just wish I had known sooner.

From all that I have read with all the symptoms of Liver and kidney failure, I myself just went through a horrible episode with my 9 year old Black Lab named Diesel. A Very healthy and happy pet until I switched to Beneful dog food, I was unaware of the dangers of this poison until my ex told me about it, I did research and this is the third forum I found with the same results. My boy was fine and within 2 weeks started puking, peeing in the house and when he started pooping it was a brown dark brown color. Again unaware it was the food I was feeding him.

Today I had to put him to sleep, he could no longer get up, his legs were wobbly, he wouldn't eat for four days, he drank water that I asked him to drink. I stayed up 2 nights with him. It's been a horrible day for both of us, then knowing that I lost my best friend by feeding him this Beneful poison. The anger I feel inside has overwhelmed me as to knowing that they sell this crap in all the stores. With all the evidence of all the posts should be sufficient enough of wrongful sales and consumption of this product. I Curse these companies for doing what they do all for profit.

My dog, Max... a healthy border collie, died from eating Beneful. He was bleeding from his kidneys, mouth, and all internal organs. We spent $4,000 dollars trying to keep him alive to no avail. It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life! When the vet said it was due to the dog food we were feeding him... our hearts were broken. All this from a dog food, beneful, that to this day remains on the shelves of our local super market. I cannot let Max die in vain, without speaking up and letting others know. Thank you.

We have been feeding our 3 adult dogs Kibbles 'n Bits. Unfortunately our local store was out of stock and decided to get Beneful dry dog food. Yesterday, Sunday October 23 our American Bully (Remy) got sick. We've had her going on about a year now and hasn't been sick once until yesterday. I thought it was strange, but didn't think more about it. That was around noon. Well later that night around 10 pm she got sick again and both times contained her dog food. We put her up in her kennel for the night. As I woke during the late night early morning there was two more piles of vomit containing dog food and at that time the only dog of 3 that was in there was our Labradoodle (Coco). This is the only thing that was done differently. I hope I have catched it in time and will be switching back to our preferred Dog Food. I also took photos of the 2nd dogs vomit, this really upsets me.

My brother & sister in law's 10 year old Corgi was a happy, healthy dog up until about 2 weeks ago. He began peeing in the house, wouldn't eat, had diarrhea, and his rear legs were shaking. We were expecting a hurricane in our area so we chalked it up to him perhaps sensing the impending storm and being nervous. But his symptoms continued after the storm had passed, so he was taken to the vet. Initially he was diagnosed with an undetermined gastrointestinal upset and sent home with antibiotics. A few days had passed and he still wasn't improving so the vet ordered an ultrasound. It was then that a cancerous tumor the size of a tennis ball was found in his intestines and was attaching itself to lymph nodes as well. The agonizing decision was made to put the dog to sleep.

My sister in law offered me the remainder of a bag of dry food for my dog, so it wouldn't go to waste. I asked her what she was feeding her dog, as in the past he had always been given Iams or Science Diet. When she responded "Beneful", my heart sank. She switched his food about 3 months ago, and he had all the symptoms listed in other reviews. I had read in various places about pets being sickened and dying after eating the Beneful brand and I didn't have the heart to show her the reviews on this site about this food, as she is still heartbroken over how suddenly and quickly her sweet dog got sick and passed away. Plus, telling her isn't going to bring her dog back. But hopefully my review and all the others posted here will save another dog's life in the future by not being fed Beneful. There are too many instances of this happening for this not to be investigated. Our innocent, voiceless 4 legged friends need us to speak up for them!

Our 11 year old Beagle has fallen ill with symptoms similar to those described by other complainants. I am very heartbroken and scared that my Beagle may not recover because he does not seem to be getting better. His main food source has been Beneful sometimes by itself and sometimes mixed with a little bit of chicken, beef, or turkey. In the past month he started getting very loose stools that look like jello, diarrhea, and symptoms of lethargy and a loss of appetite. We took him to the vet on 10-11-2016 and blood lab tests show elevation of three liver enzymes. He was prescribed ** which we are giving him daily but so far no improvement. Something is seriously wrong here and Purina needs stop selling this formula.

As a pet owner pretty much all of my life, I have always been conscious of what I give my dogs to eat since they eat the same food everyday. Pedigree is a better brand than this product. My younger brother purchased Purina Beneful dog food while I was away on vacation. Lo and behold BOTH of my dogs got sick. BOTH of them threw up. If only of them got sick then I would think it was something else that got her sick, however, both of them did. Please do not give your dogs this product. One of my dogs who is 15 years of age is currently at the vet getting blood work done because she is too weak to even walk. My dog has been a healthy dog, never any problems and now all of a sudden this. I don't believe this is due to old age because again both of dogs got sick. Whoever makes this product should be ashamed of themselves.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Profile