Beneful Pet Foods
2.43/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1885 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

My Bessie loves any of their food. Really loves the natural grain. She is a mix breed of Yorkie, Jack Russell, Shih Tzu, and chihuahua and is very picky when she eats. So and I also have an 18 yr old Staffordshire and he thinks he is getting a treat when open the bag to feed her. This food really seems to keep her energy up.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Never had a problem with them. My baby boy seems to enjoy it. There is one flavor he doesn't like but he politely piles them up on the floor next to his bowl so it's easy to clean up. He's regular as a clock. I know to put him out after dinner and we have no "problems". Although the price is a bit high so is everything here in Hawaii lol!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My 2 dogs love this food. I have one that is a picky eater, so finding a food that she likes to eat was a chore. She dives right into her bowl now. We use the grain-free Beneful. It’s good quality dog food. Every bag always smells and looks fresh. It’s a bit pricey but compared to other grain-frees we have tried, it is not.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Beneful is OK but the ingredients are like the other brands like Rachel Ray. I get the one for older dogs. My dogs really like the dog food. But I think the dog food is overrated. It is nutritional but cost too much. I have 5 dogs and the price is not something I can afford for a 50lb bag so I have to get something cheaper. If they came down in price I would buy it ALL THE TIME.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Three years ago my 16 year old Shih Tzu died of old age. He was exclusively fed Beneful. I then rescued a 5 year old boxer and figured just stick with what works. 3 years later, I have a happy healthy 8 year old boxer who still acts like a puppy, also exclusively Beneful. If I ever get another dog, I will give it the same. Both of my dogs loved it and never had any complications with their health. I can promise you if my dog died and I thought in any way it was caused by dog food, an autopsy would be done and only then would I start placing blame.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: June 25, 2019

My dog began having seizures late April. I’m not sure when I started giving them the little Incredibles canned wet food but one of my dog starting having seizures. I stooped the food for three weeks... Gave him a can and it wasn’t 4 hours later he had a massive seizure. I’m going to have his blood work done and talk to the vet tomorrow but I know it’s this food. Shame on Purina and shame on whoever is in charge of keeping stuff like this off the shelves. Enough complaints have been made yet they continue to murder and hurt our pets. It’s unbelievable.

Original review: June 11, 2019

We fed our beautiful Goldendoodle Beneful. We came home one evening and she was seizing on our kitchen floor. We took her immediately to the emergency vet. Over the next 36 hours, every major system in her body failed. She died about 40 hours after her first seizure. We had an autopsy performed. The only thing they found, after her vomiting consistently, was her food: Beneful. She was just five.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My dog is a picky eater. He seems to like Beneful. I’ve tried numerous brands and this seems to be the brand to others I’ve tried. I wish I could find a brand that he really enjoys. I’ve tried Purina, Royal Canin.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I bought a very tiny Chihuahua puppy a few days ago, I started feeding her and my other 2 young Pugs the Beneful Brand of Puppy Kibble. Now all of them are throwing up, and when not vomiting have dry heaves.. Their breath smells like vinegar when no vinegar has been consumed and now they are developing diarrhea with an excess amount of mucus. If my fur kids pass away or get any sicker I am going to sue the company.. I threw the rest of the bag of food in the trash and started them on another brand of puppy food. Please don't feed Beneful to any of your fur kids if you want to enjoy their company for the years to come.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I have a almost 2 year old American Bulldog who now has bloody diarrhea after eating this crap. He ran out of his food and as a kid I remember feeding this to my dogs having no issues but now it’s nothing more than a issue!! He doesn’t even have much stool when he goes. It’s mostly just blood and this started happening the day after he ate this!! I just wanted this for a quick fix for my pup for a few days till I was able to go to the market and get his good food. But this dog food might actually cost my dog his life!! I’ve been having to wake up with him multiple times a night to let him out! Just wow. I can’t believe I let my dog eat this crap. Will NEVER make that mistake again!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Our dogs have been sick with bloody stool ever since I gave them Beneful dog food. I’m so sad both are sick from this food. Beneful IncrediBites. Don’t buy this crap. Hope my older blind dog can beat whatever is in the crap. It should be taken off the store shelf.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I purchased this dog food because I thought it was a healthy option for my fur babies at a good price. My dogs are all vomiting and have runny stools. I will not buy it again and I am throwing out the remainder.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Two nights ago my 15 yr old Chihuahua had a seizure after eating this food for a week. Up to now she has never been ill. I don't know how to safely dispose of the remaining dog food for fear of poisoning the raccoons that may get into the garbage. I am telling everyone not to feed this terrible product to you beloved pet.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My two small dogs have been doing great on Purina Beneful Healthy Weight. They have a beautiful coat and they lost the weight they needed to and are maintaining a healthy weight. Purina Beneful Healthy Weight is a balanced nutritional diet for my dogs plus they love the taste.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My dogs like this food and are doing very well on it. The price is reasonable and it is easy to find in the stores. It has a high Omega 3 content that my vet tells me is good for them. It has all of the ingredients recommended by their vet.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My dog likes it, so I like it too. We feed him twice a day. Our cat likes it as well. We mix it with a bit of ham, or cheese, or canned dog food to give it moisture.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Good nutrition, fair pricing, good packaging. Mixed some wet food with dry dog food it makes a very nice complete meal. It includes vegetables and meat in good proportions. They love it and I know it's good for them.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Tried many different brands and Beneful is his preference. Rocky was allergic to some different ingredients. Tried Rachel Ray and he liked it ok. He did not care for Blue Buffalo at all. He does like Cesar soft also.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Whole ingredients. Easy to mix & Has great texture. Has good bowel movements. Keeps my dog trim...mix with one of their small can Dog food. Mr Mugsy eats it right up. Has lots of energy & coat is very & Mr Mugsy is very alert?

Original review: April 7, 2019

I've tried several kinds of dog food but after trying Beneful my dog started eating again. She likes the chicken flavor the best, she also likes when I mix the can food with her daily meal. She also like the treats.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Decent. Wouldn't mind knowing if there are any comparable prices with better quality when you have more than one breed and size.. I have five dogs between 4 months to 4 years and 12 pounds all the way to 100 pounds.

Original review: April 4, 2019

The bag was full of maggots. Also, my dogs dont like it...any of it, especially the weight management type. The morsels look different than most all other brands but dogs dont care what their food looks like..

Original review: March 27, 2019

Please do not give your dogs this food! I had no idea about the recalls until I recently took my dog to the vet. This food has caused my dog her life! She lost so much weight, she’s not eating anymore, she’s vomiting what looks like blood and have slimy green stuff coming out of butt. This is trying a heartbreak for me. This product should be removed from out of every store!

Original review: March 27, 2019

My dogs loves it! Nice small pieces and good variation of moist and crunch. Great mixture of flavors. Easy to find in all stores with bags in a variety of sizes. My poodle is 16 months and my labrador is 2 years old. Both enjoy it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My dog liked this food but it tore her tummy up, each time she ate it she would have horrible water poop that was even snotty kinda black and clear green looking and smelled like a dead animal the mess and smell are horrible. I'm scared to give her anymore. I don't know if it's got poison or a bad bacteria in it. Guess I'm throwing it away. It was purchased at Dollar general in Cullman Alabama.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a 5 year old black lab mix that was a rescue. When I got her she was nothing but skin and bones. I was told by the rescue to keep her on this special yet very expensive brand of dog food till she filled out. On one of her check ups the Vet said that she was 5 lbs over her target weight and to get her on a Healthy Weight type of food.

While I was at Walmart I found the Beneful brand with the healthy weight formula. A week went by and my dog started sleeping all the time, didn't want to go on walks or play anymore. Her stool was runny, the smell was horrible, and one day I woke up to bloody diarrhea and bile vomit all over my kitchen. She couldn't swallow and was constantly drooling.

I called into work and rushed her to the Vet. The Vet did x-rays to see if she swallowed anything. Those came back clean. She was given an IV, anti diarrhea meds, and anti nausea meds. The Vet also sold me some canned dog food that helps with tears in the intestines. After a week of the Vet's food she was back to her old self and was doing great. Not knowing what made her sick in the first place I started feeding her the Beneful again and within 3 days we were back in the Vet's office. After over $1500 worth of tests, meds, and Vet visits we figured out what was making her sick. It was the 50lb bag of Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. Since then I have put her on another brand of dry food and she is doing great. Don't buy this food!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I thought since my dog is getting older (3 years old) I should change his kibbles and bits diet to a more holistic diet. Beneful has great advertising that their foods are made from real meats. I know my dog loves fish, so I got him the salmon dry food. After 1 day he had green oddly colored poop that smelled really bad and different. Then I thought well it’s the change in his diet. Today would be day 4 of changing his dog food.

This morning I woke up to him gagging up a frothy bile looking vomit. I guided him outside where he left a pile of dog food. I ran to the bathroom myself, so I’m uncertain which end the dog food came out of my dog. What I know is that he has no desire to eat that food all of the sudden. I’m going to try fresh chicken and rice and pray that he poops enough to rid his little body of the toxins that are obviously making him sick. I couldn’t understand what is wrong with him. So I decided since the only thing that’s changed in his routine was his dog food, I'd Google search his new food. I was amazed and relieved to read the lawsuits against Purina. So I think I’ve found the problem, hopefully some natural foods help him get better. He is just lying next to me curled up in a ball. And he is breathing weird. Stay away from this food. Stay away from this dog food!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Bought 30lb bag of Beneful Original same food my dog has been eating. Hasn't touched the food in two weeks. $500 vet bill ** meds and she's still sick and won't drink water. I'm convinced the dog food was contaminated. Will never buy again. Now I have to see if Walmart will refund me the 35.00 I spent on huge bag. Praying my Molly gets better. Stomach upset with diarrhea and she's lethargic.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs (14 lbs and 44 lbs) this dog food for 10 months with no problem. In December my dogs started losing weight, even though they continued to eat normally and have normal bowel movements. My little dog started being a little off-normal one Friday. Late Sunday she was vomiting and drinking a lot. Seeing she was ill I planned to take her to the vet in the morning.

My little doggie died in the night on December 17, 2018. I did not initially think it was the food. But after looking at these reviews, researching poisoning symptoms, and trying to think of alternative explanations, I believe the food killed one of my dogs and made the other ill. I will never feed an animal commercially produced animal food again, for two reasons:

(1) Any dietary problem that results from feeding my dog people food would be an honest mistake, and not the result of a greed-based decision-making process; (2) Manufacturers of food intended for human consumption are more likely to face meaningful (i.e., expensive) consequences if the food is poisonous than are manufacturers of animal food. Apparently there is no law against killing pets with poison food, since they don't have any monetary value. I am disturbed that I was able to easily find many years worth of complaints about this dog food online. Does no one care?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have an 11 year old Cocker Spaniel. He has always had a sensitive stomach so I have only ever fed him Beneful Chicken. Nine weeks ago I bought Beneful Chicken Grain Free. The first day my dog had wicked diarrhea. I stopped the food on day 3 and the issues have not resolved. I have spent $1000 at the vet as he now has a gastrointestinal issue. The vet says maybe he has cancer but it’s just a guess since all other tests are negative except that he has a bacteria in his stomach and bowel affecting his pancreas. I believe it was from this food. Stay away from it!

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information