Beneful Pet Foods
3.22/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 11, 2018

1831 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I purchased Beneful Healthy Weight with real chicken on 1/20/2018 at the local grocery store. After my dog started eating this food he became ill. On Friday morning I noticed he had swelling in his right back foot and leg. I had him stand up and walk around and then the swelling started to move to his left leg and abdomen. I immediately took him to the vet and lab work was completed. Saturday morning the vet contacted me with results. My dog has no fever, his white cell count is fine but he is losing proteins from his body. The doctor recommended either a second opinion or for me to take him to a specialist in another city.

As my veterinarian has not a clue as to what is causing it my dog has been healthy until I change to this food. I bought him another bag which I have just opened this morning. Needless to say I think I’m going to feed him boiled chicken rice etc. If I find that this dog food is killing my dog I’m sure I will be one of many to go after Purina. My dog is my companion and my best friend. The thought of losing him is devastating.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My boyfriend bought our dogs Beneful Healthy Weight and my lab started throwing up blood. My German Shepherd won't even finish her bowl of food and she's been throwing up too! Do not feed this food to your dogs! If my dog dies, I am suing Purina!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My husband and I purchased Purina Beneful dog food at the local Walmart about a week before Christmas. We were pretty strapped for cash being close to Christmas and all. Beneful is .91/lb so we bought a 17 lbs bag knowing it would get us through to the New Year. We have 4 year old small blue nose pitbull. He was 43 lbs and now weighs 35. Within the week of giving my dog Beneful he got really lame and started vomiting stuff that looks like fluff... He does not vomit when given a different dog food... It has taken us this long to realize it's possibly the food! He hasn't had Purina Beneful in almost two days now and is getting significantly better! We thought he was dying last week. Please look into this.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I wish we could put negative stars on this. I had a healthy happy Boston Terrier named Buttons 4 yrs ago. We had ran out of our normal food and purchased Beneful as a substitute food. I went out of town that weekend and left her with my husband and kids. She was approximately 15 lbs. When I returned home on Sunday, I noticed she was not her normal energetic happy self so I questioned my family and was told she had vomited several times that day and day before. Since I had not been in town, I thought maybe they fed her too much or not enough so would call vet the next morning if she was still ill. Monday morning she was so lethargic she wouldn’t even go outside to potty so I called her vet and rushed her over.

Blood tests showed she had some sort of poison in her system. With more testing, find out she is going into liver failure! Crying so hard, I have to call my husband to come calm me down so I could go home. Buttons had to stay at the vet and they were giving medications through IV overnight and would call me first thing in the morning. Tuesday morning around 7:30 they call me to tell Me to get there right away, they weren’t sure she was going to be alive much longer. Only option was to do a blood transfusion with little hope that it would work. The hardest day of my adult life was holding Buttons as she slipped away. In my heart I knew it was the food!!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Beneful is the worst food ever for dogs! The Humane Society was feeding Beneful to my dog at the time I adopted her so I assumed they knew what they were doing by feeding her the food. I spent the first two years of her life dealing with diarrhea. She would get diarrhea, I would feed her rice and chicken, it would clear up, then I returned to feeding her Beneful. She was even on probiotics for a while, but nothing ever seemed to help. Lucy, is the first dog I have raised on my own. I felt like a horrible dog owner, because she was always sick. Looked on the Internet to see if other people were having these issues and that was the first time I read about liver damage from dogs being fed Beneful. Immediately, I changed her dog food. You know what... her health improved.

Diarrhea became a rare occurrence. I thought I dodged the bullet, and my dog would be spared. Found out today she has kidney disease!! Don't know how much longer she has. Could be a year, but she definitely will NEVER make it to her tenth birthday just because Purina won't pull their worthless product off the shelf!! Lucy is the sweetest dog you could ever meet and she deserves a better life than what Purina food gave her! Please, please, don't feed your dog this food or anything Purina!! My heart is breaking. Don't want another dog parent to go through this heartache.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We are on our second bag of Beneful and my dog is dying. He started acting funny shortly after we started feeding him the food but we just thought he ate something bad from the trash. He now cannot pee or poop and won't eat. He still drinks water but immediately throws it up. He moans like he is in pain and barely moves. It is so ridiculous that this dog food has done this to my poor dog and many others and they are still selling it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My dogs had just finished up their bag of dog food and the closest store didn't have the brand I usually get them so I thought what the heck why not try Purina Beneful so I purchased a 30lb bag and had been feeding my dogs for about a week with it then suddenly my oldest husky started acting strange and throwing up blood!! I freaked out and thought he might've eaten something so I contacted emergency vet because it was Christmas Eve and the regular vet wasn't open. They told me to monitor him and try feeding him rice and chicken.

So I tried feeding him that and he couldn't even really open his mouth without being in pain and he started having black stool but no more vomiting. On Christmas Day he started acting more normal and actually tried eating and walking around and since I've switched him to canned food he's back to his old self, but me thinking he ate something wrong. Kept feeding my other two the IAMS and now they are vomiting, no blood yet and thankfully I searched around online. I'm never buying this crap again!! They should get sued for putting everyone's fur babies in danger!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I switched to Beneful last year because my lab was getting very heavy. I use the healthy weight one for my dogs and they really seem to like it. I have tried other brands and they just pick at it. Beneful with chicken really suits them well.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dog just loves the dry and moist bits. When I feed my dog Arctic he gets so happy and dances around playfully. He sometimes hide the food for a snack later on. I love the price as a consumer.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Lady eats the chopped varieties mostly, others not so much. Likes veggies and pasta in the prepared kinds and will eat those, leaving meat behind sometimes.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Good food, my dogs love it. Beneful isn't the cheapest dog food, but not the most expensive either. I also buy their treats, and my dogs love them! Thank You!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dogs enjoy eating the Beneful wet food mixed with IAMS dry food. I think the price is high and keeps going higher. Soon I will have to stop buying it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The Beneful pet food works for my dog. But it has too much filler and could be higher in protein content. Your dog will never get fat eating this food though. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The can food look like something I would eat for dinner myself and my dog loves Beneful. I have tried other brands but my dog would not eat them and the look and smile he can tell the difference. Just like people he knows what he loves.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My son has the family dog but I am the one that loves him the most. My son buys Purina Beneful and I buy him treats because he is old and when he sees me he gets happy. I also am buying him Purina small package meals because are softer than the nuggets my son buys him and he enjoys them much more.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I found my dog likes this food... It has a better nutritional balance than others commonly found in my budget range and the taste and smell is appealing to my dog as well.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My dog loves it. It's colorful and there are different shapes. Can be purchased everywhere and the price is right. Bags come small, medium, large and extra large. Daisy Mae is a 130 pound German Shepherd and is a chicken girl. She's not too crazy about beef or salmon.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I believe it not that healthy but I buy the food that is soft morsels so easier for her to chew because she is old, hardly any teeth left.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Beneful is very expensive and it could be a little cheaper. We have 3 dogs, two small ones and one very large one, and it's expensive to feed three dogs a very good brand. I'm a single parent and I try to do it all, but sometimes I can't.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Of all the brands of food I feed my dog Beneful seems to be the one that excites her the most. She will eat every bit of it in one sitting, I like that it has different colors of pieces that you can tell which is vegetables and which is meat.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I fed my dog Beneful and when she started getting sick I changed her to another brand. She died today from kidney failure and I truly believe it was related to Beneful dog food. Why, after so many unnecessary dog deaths, is this food still on the market? We are heartbroken and they are heartless.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My dog loves Beneful and therefore so do I. Ingredients are tasty & healthy. Price is very good too. Often I find coupons that help me save too. That's always a plus.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My dogs seem to like it very much! My little dog has a tough time chewing it, but my big girl loves it. They loved the soft food too, but they both developed diarrhea. Even mixing it with what they used to. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My Border Collie mix did well on this food for several years. I used both dry and sometimes wet food ('dinners') for her. Especially as she got older, the wet was well received.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I love this brand. My little dog looks very healthy and veterans said he is very healthy and I've tried other brands and he will not eat it so I rather keep him on the brand that is good for him and that he likes and keeps him healthy.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I switched my dog from an expensive brand to Beneful. It ended up costing more and my dog almost died. She had seizures and I had to find a vet that would take her on a Sunday night. I wouldn't recommend Beneful to anyone who cares about their pet.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This is pretty good dog food but I could get a better food for my babies for the price I pay for this... I would really love to try the best, but I'm not sure if they will like it before I buy it. I like to try them on all food so I can see which one they like best... I have 3 Dachshunds and they are my babies and I want them to have the best.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My 5 dogs didn't really like Beneful at all. Two of them would vomiting up every time I tried feeding it to them. I don't recommend this food at all. I bought several bags with coupons for what I thought was a great deal but now I would not feed it to my dogs even if it were free.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Beneful is one of several similar brands that are heavy on filler ingredients. May not be best suited for dogs with grain allergies. Our dog seems to like the taste.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The dogs like the Beneful dog food, that is what works for us. Compared to other foods the price is more on my budget. I really should check the ingredients and will very soon.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information

Beneful
    www.beneful.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use