Beneful Pet Foods
3.04/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

1844 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I got a 3kg bag of Beneful puppy dry food from a supermarket a few weeks ago. Followed the instructions about introducing a new pet food, but my 3 month-old puppy developed a food allergy from it straight away - she would sneeze and itch all the time. So we went back to her "old" kibble Royal Canin and are going to try Orijen as per vet's recommendation. I would not buy any dry food from supermarket as they are full of additives, preservatives and colourings...

Original review: June 8, 2018

We’ve been giving our dogs Beneful for 23 years now and they have all been healthy. I have three older dogs now and a younger one and they love the taste of Beneful, but haven’t liked other foods we’ve occasionally tried.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Our dog has been eating Beneful for at least 5 years. We changed from puppy, adult and now senior. We did not need to change brands. Just what kind.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Since I have a toy dog Beneful hasn't made her sick and she is quite healthy. They come in small bites just right for her. But it is kind of pricey just for the fancy brand.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Beneful Pet Foods is a good brand and I have used it for years. But as she ages... I find she doesn't have an appetite for it anymore. Looking for something beneficial to her needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: April 13, 2018

If I could rate them in the negative numbers it still wouldn't be enough. Five years ago we lost our sweet dog due to many similar complaints I've heard from others. And there's not a doubt in my mind that it was from Beneful dog food. She was only 8 years old, a beautiful completely healthy, active Samoyed named Missy. We changed her dog food to Beneful when she was about 5 years old, and she still remained happy, healthy, active... until all of a sudden one day she was limping and her hind right leg was a little swollen. We took her to the vet and they thought maybe she sprained her knee so they wrapped it for support.

About a week later she was much worse and could hardly walk, was depressed and laid on the floor crying. Again, took her to the vet and they still couldn't figure out what was wrong but this time ran bloodwork. The next day she laid there screaming and howling in pain, it was awful... neighbors came over to our house because it sounded like someone was beating her. We immediately brought her to the vet where he decided to X-ray her to see what was going on within and as he lifted her there were about 5 maggots on the floor where she was laying! The bloodwork came back while we were there and he discovered her liver was shutting down, she had blood coming out from her mouth, and she was literally rotting from the inside out, hence the maggots falling out from the inside of her body. She died shortly afterwards.

This was the most horrific experience... for years your dog is completely healthy, happy and within less than two weeks she went from happy, to limping, to screaming in pain from rotting from within. I don't care that Nestle/Purina got away with it in court from semantics, they didn't win... they are a horrible, horrible company and there are thousands of people who lost animals the same way we lost ours. There cannot possibly be that many coincidences in the world! They killed our dog... and thousands more... and the FDA stands behind them while they kill God knows how many more. I wish everyone would hear about what they're doing now so they don't have to watch their own animals suffering and especially for these poor animals sake. Innocent lives taken for profit... it's a sin. I will never buy from Nestle or Purina again... anything.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I used to feed my dogs Wal-Mart brand dog food because that's what they were being fed when we adopted them. After a few weeks, I couldn't take their farting, so we slowly transitioned them to Beneful Healthy Weight. A few months ago, our local Wal-Mart stopped carrying Healthy Weight, so I switched them to Beneful Originals without incident. Last week, we ran out so I stopped at Dollar General. They only had Healthy Weight, so I got that. One dog won't eat and the other has been having that runs, bleeding from his rectum, and puking. I ran to Wal-Mart and got another bag of Originals. His poop is improving and he hasn't thrown up.

I truly think something went bad in that bag of food and made my dog sick. If he's not better by tomorrow, we're taking him to the vet. I can't be certain it's Beneful, but that's the only thing that has changed. He's not outside alone, he's not gotten into the trash (He's crated when we're not home) and he hasn't had any people food.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Two days ago I fed my dog dry dog food instead of his usual wet food. He was acting fine. In less than 12 hours he was dead. He was never ill not once in his life. At his death his teeth/gums were in top shape, fur coat healthy and weight was just right. Yesterday he started vomiting Beneful up, mixed with blood then mucous and blood. I found him laying down sitting up partially then all the way and barely breathing (within 5 min) I was carrying him out to car when he died just before I got to the car.

The only thing different that day was he ate Beneful original dry dog food. Today I checked online trying to figure out what might be the cause and I reached Beneful dry food and dog I'll or death and found out there have been thousands of complaints about dogs dying after eating Beneful dry dog food. Also FDA reports about Purina Beneful dry dog food that were quite alarming. Search online and see. Wish I had before feeding my Burnie this crap. Cant believe they are allowed to sell it. We will not be buying any Purina products Friskies, Purina ONE, Beyond, Muse, Cat Chow, Dog Chow, Fancy Feast, Beneful, Tidy Cats, Alpo. Although this review is about the Beneful dry dog food line.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have fed our three-year-old English Bulldog Beneful Healthy Weight for three years without incident. Two weeks ago he stopped eating - just like someone had flipped a light switch. A few days later, our other two dogs stopped eating. After an overnight stay at the vet, Hemingway was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The next day they said he had liver cancer. My gut tells me something is wrong with this particular bag of dog food.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have a 7-year-old Boxer female. She arrived from the kennel with Beneful puppy chow, so we fed her that for the first year or so, and then moved her to Beneful Healthy Weight later. She has always been quite healthy. Until two days ago, when we noticed blood in her urine. We immediately made an appointment at the vet. It seems she has bladder stones, The xrays revealed that her bladder is full of them. She is currently in surgery--with xrays and other tests, setting us back about $1250 dollars. Worse, yesterday she passed one smaller stone quite easily. But last night she could not urinate at all from 7 pm until about 3 pm, when she passed a second, larger stone.

Our vet indicated that the ph balance (acid level) in Beneful dry foods is directly correlated with producing bladder stones. We were shocked. The vet indicated that 90 percent of the cases of bladder stones that she sees are from dogs that are fed Beneful. So I am posting this here to warn others: DO NOT USE BENEFUL DOG FOOD. It is not healthy for your dog.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Our beloved family pet, a Chihuahua named Chewy, died this past week suddenly and unexpectedly, and I believe that Beneful dog food may be the culprit after discovering that thousands of pet owners reported similar illness and deaths of their dogs while eating Beneful. Beneful Incredibites was Chewy's primary food source for quite some time. One evening we noticed that Chewy's right hind leg was so swollen that he could hardly walk on it. Upon further exam, his stomach was purple and black toward his back legs. We were going to take him to our family vet the next morning, thinking he may have something wrong with his leg, but he did not even make it through the night. Around midnight he woke us up screaming in pain, and at that point he went downhill fast and died soon thereafter. He did have some bloody discharge/vomit come from his mouth shortly before he died.

Upon examination the next morning, our vet said the stomach discoloration was from internal bleeding and it was probably cancer, so we opted not to have him cut open. I wish I had now, because I have a feeling that we would have found kidney failure and/or liver damage, instead. I just couldn't understand why a dog was healthy one day and within 24 hours was dying a horrible unexplained death. Then I remembered that we had taken him to the vet a month earlier for bloody diarrhea. That's when my daughter and I began to do some research and found similar stories from other pet owners, including two class action lawsuits that had been filed but dismissed later. I think over 3,000 reported cases (and those are just the reported ones) should be enough for someone to investigate further. We, as consumers on behalf of our cherished family pets, deserve better.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am shaking so badly it is hard to calm my nerves. I have an American Staffordshire who originally was being fed a more expensive brand of food before I adopted her. I eventually changed her over to Beneful Healthy Weight gradually. In hindsight this is when these patches of hair started missing on each of her sides. She is an inside dog exclusively no plants or other toxins for her to get into but she gets extremely ill more and more frequently. Each time I would based upon prior experience remove her dog food. Give her water only for 48 hours. Give her plain white rice then gradually add ground beef is she seems to be losing too much weight. After a few days she is fine. Then back to Beneful she goes. The cycle begins again. She is lethargic with mucous looking poop, vomiting. She has accidents at the door signaling that she got as close to outside as she could. These are explosive diarrhea episodes all on walls and doors indicating illness.

Finally I associated the episodes with Beneful especially when the bag had not been sealed airtight. I thought she was gonna die the last time but again didn't yet associate with Beneful. Last night after she became ill again I recalled my American Bulldog who died at the age of 6 suddenly. I had left her and her Beneful Healthy Radiance with friends when I moved. I always blamed them because the explanation was they thought was just old. All she did was lay around and get sick.

I am very afraid this food killed Aaliyah whom was my murdered father's dog and very dear to me and now my new baby whom I adopted because she is Aaliyah's doppelgänger. If she dies too I will probably lose my mind. This is my only child now. Please don't feed this food until there is a resolution. This is not coincidence. There might be tests proving otherwise but something in the handling or storage combined with ingredients is making dogs ill and causing deaths. Real talk. I keep her food in a self-feeding container. As owners we need to all compare notes and figure out common threads.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I purchased Beneful Healthy Weight with real chicken on 1/20/2018 at the local grocery store. After my dog started eating this food he became ill. On Friday morning I noticed he had swelling in his right back foot and leg. I had him stand up and walk around and then the swelling started to move to his left leg and abdomen. I immediately took him to the vet and lab work was completed. Saturday morning the vet contacted me with results. My dog has no fever, his white cell count is fine but he is losing proteins from his body. The doctor recommended either a second opinion or for me to take him to a specialist in another city.

As my veterinarian has not a clue as to what is causing it my dog has been healthy until I change to this food. I bought him another bag which I have just opened this morning. Needless to say I think I’m going to feed him boiled chicken rice etc. If I find that this dog food is killing my dog I’m sure I will be one of many to go after Purina. My dog is my companion and my best friend. The thought of losing him is devastating.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My boyfriend bought our dogs Beneful Healthy Weight and my lab started throwing up blood. My German Shepherd won't even finish her bowl of food and she's been throwing up too! Do not feed this food to your dogs! If my dog dies, I am suing Purina!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My husband and I purchased Purina Beneful dog food at the local Walmart about a week before Christmas. We were pretty strapped for cash being close to Christmas and all. Beneful is .91/lb so we bought a 17 lbs bag knowing it would get us through to the New Year. We have 4 year old small blue nose pitbull. He was 43 lbs and now weighs 35. Within the week of giving my dog Beneful he got really lame and started vomiting stuff that looks like fluff... He does not vomit when given a different dog food... It has taken us this long to realize it's possibly the food! He hasn't had Purina Beneful in almost two days now and is getting significantly better! We thought he was dying last week. Please look into this.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I wish we could put negative stars on this. I had a healthy happy Boston Terrier named Buttons 4 yrs ago. We had ran out of our normal food and purchased Beneful as a substitute food. I went out of town that weekend and left her with my husband and kids. She was approximately 15 lbs. When I returned home on Sunday, I noticed she was not her normal energetic happy self so I questioned my family and was told she had vomited several times that day and day before. Since I had not been in town, I thought maybe they fed her too much or not enough so would call vet the next morning if she was still ill. Monday morning she was so lethargic she wouldn’t even go outside to potty so I called her vet and rushed her over.

Blood tests showed she had some sort of poison in her system. With more testing, find out she is going into liver failure! Crying so hard, I have to call my husband to come calm me down so I could go home. Buttons had to stay at the vet and they were giving medications through IV overnight and would call me first thing in the morning. Tuesday morning around 7:30 they call me to tell Me to get there right away, they weren’t sure she was going to be alive much longer. Only option was to do a blood transfusion with little hope that it would work. The hardest day of my adult life was holding Buttons as she slipped away. In my heart I knew it was the food!!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Beneful is the worst food ever for dogs! The Humane Society was feeding Beneful to my dog at the time I adopted her so I assumed they knew what they were doing by feeding her the food. I spent the first two years of her life dealing with diarrhea. She would get diarrhea, I would feed her rice and chicken, it would clear up, then I returned to feeding her Beneful. She was even on probiotics for a while, but nothing ever seemed to help. Lucy, is the first dog I have raised on my own. I felt like a horrible dog owner, because she was always sick. Looked on the Internet to see if other people were having these issues and that was the first time I read about liver damage from dogs being fed Beneful. Immediately, I changed her dog food. You know what... her health improved.

Diarrhea became a rare occurrence. I thought I dodged the bullet, and my dog would be spared. Found out today she has kidney disease!! Don't know how much longer she has. Could be a year, but she definitely will NEVER make it to her tenth birthday just because Purina won't pull their worthless product off the shelf!! Lucy is the sweetest dog you could ever meet and she deserves a better life than what Purina food gave her! Please, please, don't feed your dog this food or anything Purina!! My heart is breaking. Don't want another dog parent to go through this heartache.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We are on our second bag of Beneful and my dog is dying. He started acting funny shortly after we started feeding him the food but we just thought he ate something bad from the trash. He now cannot pee or poop and won't eat. He still drinks water but immediately throws it up. He moans like he is in pain and barely moves. It is so ridiculous that this dog food has done this to my poor dog and many others and they are still selling it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My dogs had just finished up their bag of dog food and the closest store didn't have the brand I usually get them so I thought what the heck why not try Purina Beneful so I purchased a 30lb bag and had been feeding my dogs for about a week with it then suddenly my oldest husky started acting strange and throwing up blood!! I freaked out and thought he might've eaten something so I contacted emergency vet because it was Christmas Eve and the regular vet wasn't open. They told me to monitor him and try feeding him rice and chicken.

So I tried feeding him that and he couldn't even really open his mouth without being in pain and he started having black stool but no more vomiting. On Christmas Day he started acting more normal and actually tried eating and walking around and since I've switched him to canned food he's back to his old self, but me thinking he ate something wrong. Kept feeding my other two the IAMS and now they are vomiting, no blood yet and thankfully I searched around online. I'm never buying this crap again!! They should get sued for putting everyone's fur babies in danger!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I switched to Beneful last year because my lab was getting very heavy. I use the healthy weight one for my dogs and they really seem to like it. I have tried other brands and they just pick at it. Beneful with chicken really suits them well.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My dog just loves the dry and moist bits. When I feed my dog Arctic he gets so happy and dances around playfully. He sometimes hide the food for a snack later on. I love the price as a consumer.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Lady eats the chopped varieties mostly, others not so much. Likes veggies and pasta in the prepared kinds and will eat those, leaving meat behind sometimes.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Good food, my dogs love it. Beneful isn't the cheapest dog food, but not the most expensive either. I also buy their treats, and my dogs love them! Thank You!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My dogs enjoy eating the Beneful wet food mixed with IAMS dry food. I think the price is high and keeps going higher. Soon I will have to stop buying it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The Beneful pet food works for my dog. But it has too much filler and could be higher in protein content. Your dog will never get fat eating this food though. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The can food look like something I would eat for dinner myself and my dog loves Beneful. I have tried other brands but my dog would not eat them and the look and smile he can tell the difference. Just like people he knows what he loves.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My son has the family dog but I am the one that loves him the most. My son buys Purina Beneful and I buy him treats because he is old and when he sees me he gets happy. I also am buying him Purina small package meals because are softer than the nuggets my son buys him and he enjoys them much more.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I found my dog likes this food... It has a better nutritional balance than others commonly found in my budget range and the taste and smell is appealing to my dog as well.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My dog loves it. It's colorful and there are different shapes. Can be purchased everywhere and the price is right. Bags come small, medium, large and extra large. Daisy Mae is a 130 pound German Shepherd and is a chicken girl. She's not too crazy about beef or salmon.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I believe it not that healthy but I buy the food that is soft morsels so easier for her to chew because she is old, hardly any teeth left.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information