Beneful Pet Foods
1.35/5
Based on 1,835 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Beneful Pet Foods

1862 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My dog liked this food but it tore her tummy up, each time she ate it she would have horrible water poop that was even snotty kinda black and clear green looking and smelled like a dead animal the mess and smell are horrible. I'm scared to give her anymore. I don't know if it's got poison or a bad bacteria in it. Guess I'm throwing it away. It was purchased at Dollar general in Cullman Alabama.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a 5 year old black lab mix that was a rescue. When I got her she was nothing but skin and bones. I was told by the rescue to keep her on this special yet very expensive brand of dog food till she filled out. On one of her check ups the Vet said that she was 5 lbs over her target weight and to get her on a Healthy Weight type of food.

While I was at Walmart I found the Beneful brand with the healthy weight formula. A week went by and my dog started sleeping all the time, didn't want to go on walks or play anymore. Her stool was runny, the smell was horrible, and one day I woke up to bloody diarrhea and bile vomit all over my kitchen. She couldn't swallow and was constantly drooling.

I called into work and rushed her to the Vet. The Vet did x-rays to see if she swallowed anything. Those came back clean. She was given an IV, anti diarrhea meds, and anti nausea meds. The Vet also sold me some canned dog food that helps with tears in the intestines. After a week of the Vet's food she was back to her old self and was doing great. Not knowing what made her sick in the first place I started feeding her the Beneful again and within 3 days we were back in the Vet's office. After over $1500 worth of tests, meds, and Vet visits we figured out what was making her sick. It was the 50lb bag of Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. Since then I have put her on another brand of dry food and she is doing great. Don't buy this food!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I thought since my dog is getting older (3 years old) I should change his kibbles and bits diet to a more holistic diet. Beneful has great advertising that their foods are made from real meats. I know my dog loves fish, so I got him the salmon dry food. After 1 day he had green oddly colored poop that smelled really bad and different. Then I thought well it’s the change in his diet. Today would be day 4 of changing his dog food.

This morning I woke up to him gagging up a frothy bile looking vomit. I guided him outside where he left a pile of dog food. I ran to the bathroom myself, so I’m uncertain which end the dog food came out of my dog. What I know is that he has no desire to eat that food all of the sudden. I’m going to try fresh chicken and rice and pray that he poops enough to rid his little body of the toxins that are obviously making him sick. I couldn’t understand what is wrong with him. So I decided since the only thing that’s changed in his routine was his dog food, I'd Google search his new food. I was amazed and relieved to read the lawsuits against Purina. So I think I’ve found the problem, hopefully some natural foods help him get better. He is just lying next to me curled up in a ball. And he is breathing weird. Stay away from this food. Stay away from this dog food!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Bought 30lb bag of Beneful Original same food my dog has been eating. Hasn't touched the food in two weeks. $500 vet bill ** meds and she's still sick and won't drink water. I'm convinced the dog food was contaminated. Will never buy again. Now I have to see if Walmart will refund me the 35.00 I spent on huge bag. Praying my Molly gets better. Stomach upset with diarrhea and she's lethargic.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have been feeding my dogs (14 lbs and 44 lbs) this dog food for 10 months with no problem. In December my dogs started losing weight, even though they continued to eat normally and have normal bowel movements. My little dog started being a little off-normal one Friday. Late Sunday she was vomiting and drinking a lot. Seeing she was ill I planned to take her to the vet in the morning.

My little doggie died in the night on December 17, 2018. I did not initially think it was the food. But after looking at these reviews, researching poisoning symptoms, and trying to think of alternative explanations, I believe the food killed one of my dogs and made the other ill. I will never feed an animal commercially produced animal food again, for two reasons:

(1) Any dietary problem that results from feeding my dog people food would be an honest mistake, and not the result of a greed-based decision-making process; (2) Manufacturers of food intended for human consumption are more likely to face meaningful (i.e., expensive) consequences if the food is poisonous than are manufacturers of animal food. Apparently there is no law against killing pets with poison food, since they don't have any monetary value. I am disturbed that I was able to easily find many years worth of complaints about this dog food online. Does no one care?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have an 11 year old Cocker Spaniel. He has always had a sensitive stomach so I have only ever fed him Beneful Chicken. Nine weeks ago I bought Beneful Chicken Grain Free. The first day my dog had wicked diarrhea. I stopped the food on day 3 and the issues have not resolved. I have spent $1000 at the vet as he now has a gastrointestinal issue. The vet says maybe he has cancer but it’s just a guess since all other tests are negative except that he has a bacteria in his stomach and bowel affecting his pancreas. I believe it was from this food. Stay away from it!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Our household usually buys a Holistic brand dog food, and because we ran out, my husband decided to get a 40lb bag of Purina Beneful. We have three dogs ranging from 50-80 lbs. Our oldest has been vomiting and has diarrhea, and acting like she’s scared, panting heavy, and seems disoriented, and our middle one has been vomiting now... the only common problem is the food. This isn’t the first time this has happened... Instead of quantity how about making a quality product! Put yourself in our shoes... Would you want your pet’s food making your pet sick or worse? Better yet, think of your pet as your child... I bet quality control, regulations, and ingredients would be better! I will never buy this product or any Purina product ever again. I wouldn’t even take it if it was the last product on earth!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

A few days ago, I purchase Purina Beneful for our 3 year old lab. Within a day, he began vomiting, and on the second day, he had a seizure. I will never buy another Purina product based on all the reviews, media, and personal experience. I had used Purina products in the past without incident, however, my dog is my family and if the company does not take responsibility for its products, demonstrates disregard to those whom suffer as a result.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Our dog, Dancer, likes this dog food. We have tried other brands, but she would not eat them. She's been eating her Beneful dog food since 2009 when we adopted her. We have never seen any side effects except healthy ones.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have an Alaskan Malamute that's 165 pounds at 10 months. We selected the Beneful brand because of the ingredients. So since my boy has been on it he's always vomiting a green frothy spew and his stool is always runny. We have taken him to the vet previously and the vet had ruled it out as a sickness. However with his fully potty trained self he's had quite a few accidents in the house. The last time he had an accident in the house we noticed blood in his stool so we contacted the emergency vet and they noticed internal bleeding. This is how I found out about this lawsuit because they asked me what I was feeding him and I told them 3 cups twice a day of the Beneful and they told me to change his diet completely.

Thank God for pet insurance otherwise his hospital stay and treatment would have cost me 11000 dollars. I have since switched him to the Rachael Ray Nutrish brand and every symptom has diminished. Never in my life will I ever recommend this brand of food to anyone to include my worst enemy. If you're feeding your furry child this brand please stop immediately before it's too late. I almost lost my boy because of this brand!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My three dogs have been on Beneful for several years without incident until recently. I noticed in the past 2 weeks that their stomachs seemed to be upset. They all have had extremely bad gas and a change in the appearance of their stool. Very soft stools with a lot of mucus. My female was showing some signs of foaming at the mouth. Nothing else has changed in their diet and I mad sure they were not getting into or eating anything outside. I changed their food to a grain free better product. It is much more expensive but there was am immediate difference. No more bad gas and stools look normal. I would no longer recommend this brand of dog food for any dog.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I feel so foolish, I gave my Yorkie Beneful grain-free food. He was on a much more expensive organic/holistic brand from a specialty store but we ran out over the weekend. We got a new bag of Beneful from a local store & fed it to him Sunday and within a couple hours he was vomiting foam everywhere. He gradually got worse, extremely lethargic and couldn't even get up. We brought him water to drink and thank God he at least drank. When I got home from work Tuesday he had pooped himself... he couldn't even get up to go poop and it was runny, bloody and foul smelling. I had to bathe him but he could hardly stand up in the bathtub. He wouldn't stop shivering and I could tell he lost several pounds. I just wrapped him up in a dry towel & a blanket and held him until he warmed up.

I literally thought he was going to die... it was awful. He slept with me all covered up to stay warm. He hadn't eaten for several days. Finally on Wednesday morning he started to regain an appetite. I got him his holistic food and he's so much better. He's no longer getting sick and is barking and wagging his tail again. The food change was the only thing we did differently, it's not a coincidence. I called the store that we bought the Beneful from to tell them they need to get that crap off the shelves. I didn't want a refund, just wanted to make sure this doesn't happen to another animal. These online reviews here describe exactly what happened to my dog. Apparently this "food" has killed much larger dogs... we are so lucky to still have our tiny baby. Please don't give your fur babies this poison.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Do not feed your dog Beneful. In February my lab got incredibly sick. It was really hard to pinpoint all of the symptoms at once. The symptoms included severe diarrhea throughout the night, panting, loss of appetite, drinking lots of water. Her joints seemed to ache too because she was having trouble getting upstairs. We went to the vet multiple times as new symptoms appeared. Finally we stopped the food after a few weeks. She slowly started to get better. Slowly, like several weeks later she was about 80%... then we noticed she seemed blind. Like almost overnight.

One week on a walk she was catching balls, the next week couldn't see a thing. We brought her to the ophthalmologist who said this was extremely unusual to happen so quickly and with her size and breed. She diagnosed it as SARDs but didn't know why. But I do. It's the food. Let me add one last thing. My sister's lab also got really sick the month before mine. After comparing notes she realized she had been out of her fancy food so she feed her dog Beneful from Walgreens for 4 days while waiting for hers to be delivered Coincidence? I doubt it... we were next door neighbors... shame on you Purina.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The ONLY thing different was this dog food. Do not feed your dog this food. My dog started throwing up a lot of blood today out of nowhere after eating this for a few weeks and threw up a white foamy substance a week ago and She's been drinking a lot more water. The vet found nothing wrong with her and thinks it's possibly an ulcer. But there is no doubt it's from this food. My dog was completely healthy before this and now after reading all these reviews I feel so guilty for not checking before because all the things happening to her have been mentioned in almost all of these reviews! DON'T FEED YOUR DOGS THIS FOOD.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Three years ago my 16 year old Shih Tzu died of old age. He was exclusively fed Beneful. I then rescued a 5 year old boxer and figured just stick with what works. 3 years later, I have a happy healthy 8 year old boxer who still acts like a puppy, also exclusively Beneful. If I ever get another dog, I will give it the same. Both of my dogs loved it and never had any complications with their health. I can promise you if my dog died and I thought in any way it was caused by dog food, an autopsy would be done and only then would I start placing blame.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We’ve been feeding our Pom/Eskimo Beneful for about 3 weeks when he suddenly became extremely ill. Bloody vomit and bloody or all blood diarrhea. We are slowly nursing him back to health. The vet gave him antidiarrhea med and anti vomiting med. He needed IV fluids. He couldn’t even stand without assistance. So dizzy he walked sideways two steps before falling over. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PURINA??? THIS IS NO COINCIDENCE!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My pet poodle is in serious trouble after eating Purina Beneful Simple Goodness w/ Farm raised beef. He starting with drinking an insane amount of water... Then peeing everywhere in the house. That was followed by throwing up and in the latter stages lethargic and too weak to even go outside to do his business. I had to put diapers on the poor poodle because his diarrhea got bad. I stopped immediately giving him Purina Beneful Simple Goodness w/ Farm raised beef. Not sure if he is going to make it. I had to take the water to his bed last night because he was too weak to get off the dog bed. Never again! I'm done with you Purina. You kill dogs! Shame on you!

Original review: June 21, 2018

After purchasing Beneful dog food for my dog for several months without any issues other than shedding (which I thought was normal for the breed) I went to my local store to pick up a new bag of dog food. The store was at the time sold out of the Beneful variety that I normally purchase (which was Salmon), so I decided to purchase the Healthy Weight Variety. Over the course of the next month my dog began vomiting, having more frequent bowel movements, developed a skin infection on his scrotum, developed yeast infections in both ears, an eye infection, starting shedding excessively and overall just seemed not himself.

I did not initially link this dog food variety to his health issues, because I had never had a problem with this brand before. I began treating his yeast infection, eye infection, skin infection and researching supplements for excessive shedding. When nothing seemed to be helping a light bulb went off and I realized it was his food. I immediately switched his food and all of his symptoms cleared up. I will never purchase this brand again and jeopardize my pet's health.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I got a 3kg bag of Beneful puppy dry food from a supermarket a few weeks ago. Followed the instructions about introducing a new pet food, but my 3 month-old puppy developed a food allergy from it straight away - she would sneeze and itch all the time. So we went back to her "old" kibble Royal Canin and are going to try Orijen as per vet's recommendation. I would not buy any dry food from supermarket as they are full of additives, preservatives and colourings...

Original review: June 8, 2018

We’ve been giving our dogs Beneful for 23 years now and they have all been healthy. I have three older dogs now and a younger one and they love the taste of Beneful, but haven’t liked other foods we’ve occasionally tried.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Our dog has been eating Beneful for at least 5 years. We changed from puppy, adult and now senior. We did not need to change brands. Just what kind.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Since I have a toy dog Beneful hasn't made her sick and she is quite healthy. They come in small bites just right for her. But it is kind of pricey just for the fancy brand.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Beneful Pet Foods is a good brand and I have used it for years. But as she ages... I find she doesn't have an appetite for it anymore. Looking for something beneficial to her needs.

Original review: April 13, 2018

If I could rate them in the negative numbers it still wouldn't be enough. Five years ago we lost our sweet dog due to many similar complaints I've heard from others. And there's not a doubt in my mind that it was from Beneful dog food. She was only 8 years old, a beautiful completely healthy, active Samoyed named Missy. We changed her dog food to Beneful when she was about 5 years old, and she still remained happy, healthy, active... until all of a sudden one day she was limping and her hind right leg was a little swollen. We took her to the vet and they thought maybe she sprained her knee so they wrapped it for support.

About a week later she was much worse and could hardly walk, was depressed and laid on the floor crying. Again, took her to the vet and they still couldn't figure out what was wrong but this time ran bloodwork. The next day she laid there screaming and howling in pain, it was awful... neighbors came over to our house because it sounded like someone was beating her. We immediately brought her to the vet where he decided to X-ray her to see what was going on within and as he lifted her there were about 5 maggots on the floor where she was laying! The bloodwork came back while we were there and he discovered her liver was shutting down, she had blood coming out from her mouth, and she was literally rotting from the inside out, hence the maggots falling out from the inside of her body. She died shortly afterwards.

This was the most horrific experience... for years your dog is completely healthy, happy and within less than two weeks she went from happy, to limping, to screaming in pain from rotting from within. I don't care that Nestle/Purina got away with it in court from semantics, they didn't win... they are a horrible, horrible company and there are thousands of people who lost animals the same way we lost ours. There cannot possibly be that many coincidences in the world! They killed our dog... and thousands more... and the FDA stands behind them while they kill God knows how many more. I wish everyone would hear about what they're doing now so they don't have to watch their own animals suffering and especially for these poor animals sake. Innocent lives taken for profit... it's a sin. I will never buy from Nestle or Purina again... anything.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I used to feed my dogs Wal-Mart brand dog food because that's what they were being fed when we adopted them. After a few weeks, I couldn't take their farting, so we slowly transitioned them to Beneful Healthy Weight. A few months ago, our local Wal-Mart stopped carrying Healthy Weight, so I switched them to Beneful Originals without incident. Last week, we ran out so I stopped at Dollar General. They only had Healthy Weight, so I got that. One dog won't eat and the other has been having that runs, bleeding from his rectum, and puking. I ran to Wal-Mart and got another bag of Originals. His poop is improving and he hasn't thrown up.

I truly think something went bad in that bag of food and made my dog sick. If he's not better by tomorrow, we're taking him to the vet. I can't be certain it's Beneful, but that's the only thing that has changed. He's not outside alone, he's not gotten into the trash (He's crated when we're not home) and he hasn't had any people food.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Two days ago I fed my dog dry dog food instead of his usual wet food. He was acting fine. In less than 12 hours he was dead. He was never ill not once in his life. At his death his teeth/gums were in top shape, fur coat healthy and weight was just right. Yesterday he started vomiting Beneful up, mixed with blood then mucous and blood. I found him laying down sitting up partially then all the way and barely breathing (within 5 min) I was carrying him out to car when he died just before I got to the car.

The only thing different that day was he ate Beneful original dry dog food. Today I checked online trying to figure out what might be the cause and I reached Beneful dry food and dog I'll or death and found out there have been thousands of complaints about dogs dying after eating Beneful dry dog food. Also FDA reports about Purina Beneful dry dog food that were quite alarming. Search online and see. Wish I had before feeding my Burnie this crap. Cant believe they are allowed to sell it. We will not be buying any Purina products Friskies, Purina ONE, Beyond, Muse, Cat Chow, Dog Chow, Fancy Feast, Beneful, Tidy Cats, Alpo. Although this review is about the Beneful dry dog food line.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We have fed our three-year-old English Bulldog Beneful Healthy Weight for three years without incident. Two weeks ago he stopped eating - just like someone had flipped a light switch. A few days later, our other two dogs stopped eating. After an overnight stay at the vet, Hemingway was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The next day they said he had liver cancer. My gut tells me something is wrong with this particular bag of dog food.

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have a 7-year-old Boxer female. She arrived from the kennel with Beneful puppy chow, so we fed her that for the first year or so, and then moved her to Beneful Healthy Weight later. She has always been quite healthy. Until two days ago, when we noticed blood in her urine. We immediately made an appointment at the vet. It seems she has bladder stones, The xrays revealed that her bladder is full of them. She is currently in surgery--with xrays and other tests, setting us back about $1250 dollars. Worse, yesterday she passed one smaller stone quite easily. But last night she could not urinate at all from 7 pm until about 3 pm, when she passed a second, larger stone.

Our vet indicated that the ph balance (acid level) in Beneful dry foods is directly correlated with producing bladder stones. We were shocked. The vet indicated that 90 percent of the cases of bladder stones that she sees are from dogs that are fed Beneful. So I am posting this here to warn others: DO NOT USE BENEFUL DOG FOOD. It is not healthy for your dog.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Our beloved family pet, a Chihuahua named Chewy, died this past week suddenly and unexpectedly, and I believe that Beneful dog food may be the culprit after discovering that thousands of pet owners reported similar illness and deaths of their dogs while eating Beneful. Beneful Incredibites was Chewy's primary food source for quite some time. One evening we noticed that Chewy's right hind leg was so swollen that he could hardly walk on it. Upon further exam, his stomach was purple and black toward his back legs. We were going to take him to our family vet the next morning, thinking he may have something wrong with his leg, but he did not even make it through the night. Around midnight he woke us up screaming in pain, and at that point he went downhill fast and died soon thereafter. He did have some bloody discharge/vomit come from his mouth shortly before he died.

Upon examination the next morning, our vet said the stomach discoloration was from internal bleeding and it was probably cancer, so we opted not to have him cut open. I wish I had now, because I have a feeling that we would have found kidney failure and/or liver damage, instead. I just couldn't understand why a dog was healthy one day and within 24 hours was dying a horrible unexplained death. Then I remembered that we had taken him to the vet a month earlier for bloody diarrhea. That's when my daughter and I began to do some research and found similar stories from other pet owners, including two class action lawsuits that had been filed but dismissed later. I think over 3,000 reported cases (and those are just the reported ones) should be enough for someone to investigate further. We, as consumers on behalf of our cherished family pets, deserve better.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am shaking so badly it is hard to calm my nerves. I have an American Staffordshire who originally was being fed a more expensive brand of food before I adopted her. I eventually changed her over to Beneful Healthy Weight gradually. In hindsight this is when these patches of hair started missing on each of her sides. She is an inside dog exclusively no plants or other toxins for her to get into but she gets extremely ill more and more frequently. Each time I would based upon prior experience remove her dog food. Give her water only for 48 hours. Give her plain white rice then gradually add ground beef is she seems to be losing too much weight. After a few days she is fine. Then back to Beneful she goes. The cycle begins again. She is lethargic with mucous looking poop, vomiting. She has accidents at the door signaling that she got as close to outside as she could. These are explosive diarrhea episodes all on walls and doors indicating illness.

Finally I associated the episodes with Beneful especially when the bag had not been sealed airtight. I thought she was gonna die the last time but again didn't yet associate with Beneful. Last night after she became ill again I recalled my American Bulldog who died at the age of 6 suddenly. I had left her and her Beneful Healthy Radiance with friends when I moved. I always blamed them because the explanation was they thought was just old. All she did was lay around and get sick.

I am very afraid this food killed Aaliyah whom was my murdered father's dog and very dear to me and now my new baby whom I adopted because she is Aaliyah's doppelgänger. If she dies too I will probably lose my mind. This is my only child now. Please don't feed this food until there is a resolution. This is not coincidence. There might be tests proving otherwise but something in the handling or storage combined with ingredients is making dogs ill and causing deaths. Real talk. I keep her food in a self-feeding container. As owners we need to all compare notes and figure out common threads.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information