Beneful Pet Foods

9764people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Beneful Pet Foods:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Our 100 lbs, 4-year-old American bulldog (Diesel), who has only eaten Beneful dog food, started acting sick, throwing up, peed in the house, was drinking lots of water, and stopped eating end of January 2013 on the weekend. He looked so pitiful I called the vet. They saw him on that Monday. They said they had to keep him and put him on IVs and antibiotics. I was so upset, started to cry and said he's going to be okay. They said, "We don't know yet." I was shocked, left him, went to work where I own a salon and started telling customers. They asked the food and I told them. They said, "Google that." It's so bad. I was sick of what I read. My poor dog had all those symptoms! The vet let me bring him home Thursday, thinking he'd do better at home. He didn't so I took him back the next morning and scheduled an exploratory surgery for Monday, Feb. 11th.

His eyes were turning yellow. I spent that Saturday with him at the vets, with his IV in. It was so hard yet he was smiling in the pics I took of him. The vet did the surgery and found a mass. Said the liver and kidneys were shutting down, and nothing they could do. I took our poor pup home and buried him. I said I couldn't help him, but I will help someone else! I contacted Beneful when I could talk without crying. They said they had no complaints. I told them I have the food and receipts and going to have it tested!

My dog has been eating Beneful treats and starting having bloody urine and lethargic behavior and drinking excessive water and white saliva. Vet put him on a prescription for 3 wks with ** +50mg - vet thought he had a bladder or urinary tract infection. We stopped giving him Beneful treats during his prescription and he was just fine after only 2 days of taking the meds, until the last wk of his prescription, we bought him Beneful Peanut Butter treats. He has had them for three days and now he has started to having bloody urine again. It has always happened after he has Beneful Peanut Butter treats.

Please help, do not know what to do but stop giving him these treats. His meds are so expensive and my dog is almost 10 yrs old and is still intact. He has always been spunky and full of life. He really thinks he is still a puppy when he is well, but each time this happens and it is usually twice a year he becomes like an 80yr old dog. I just want Tyson (my dog) to be healthy again and happy.

Please everyone do your own research for the sake of your dogs' lives. Yes Beneful is terrible for dogs, but so are other dogs foods that people here are posting that they replaced it with, like Rachael Ray's dog food... also bad! You can find unbiased reviews of dog foods at Dogfoodadvisor.com. Many manufacturers are dishonest in their advertising, saying their dog food is "natural" or "healthy" when that couldn't be further from the truth!!! It's worth taking a few minutes to do some research and make smart choices on behalf of your fur babies who don't know any better and will eat whatever you give them because they trust you.

I used to feed my dog Beneful dog food and she was having random seizures (for about 2 years while eating Beneful) where her legs would "turtle out" and she couldn't move and would just shake. I took her to the vet and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I looked online and saw other people experiencing the same thing with their dog on this pet food. I switched my dog on a more natural dog food and it has been almost three years since we switched her and she has not had a seizure since then!! That was the only change we made, so that tells me that there's something wrong with their product and it made my dog sick. I would never recommend this product to anyone. I'm only posting this in hopes if anyone is experiencing the same thing that they can try to change their diet and save their dog's life as well.

Purina Beneful pet foods are poison. Please stop using and save your pet's life. Propylene Glycol and other tainted dyes are found in this horrible company. How they continue to get away with literally purging the life out of our pets I will never know. Somehow. Someway. This company needs to found guilty of a heartless murdering. No compassion for our pets nor human life. I am still struggling with the pain, heart-wrenching thoughts of losing 2 of my dogs a month ago. We have to stop Purina.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Got our dog Luna Fox Terrier pitbull mix three months ago. My daughter mentioned about using Beneful. We did for about two and a half months ago. Every time I walked my dog, I have noticed Luna's poop being crystallized and hard. I assumed it was because of bone chewing. But I slowly cut those off. But her poop was still occasionally crystallized and hard, then realized it was the dog food. After 3 days of using a superior natural brand... it may have saved her life. She's more energetic and keeps on smelling her new food bag while wagging her tail. Dog poo will tell you the story.

My Chihuahua Stewart passed away 2 weeks ago. This was very upsetting to me, as he went from being healthy to being unable to stand nor walk after changing his food to Beneful on 4/7/16. He suddenly became ill on 5/1/16 from excessive coughing and bloating. I decided to take him to the veterinarian on the following dates, The Human Society Tim ** on 5/2/16.M. ** on 5/3/16, 5/10/16, 5/17/16, 5/20/16, 5/23/16, 5/25/16, 5/27/16.K. ** on 5/21/16. Blood work was done on 5/21/16 & 5/27/16. An x-ray was taken on 5/2/16. The first veterinarian, on 5/2/16, stated that Stewart was unusually bloated and that there was some fluid in his chest cavity. Medications were prescribed, one to remove the fluid and another to lower the blood pressure. The cause of the illness could not be determined at the time.

The next day I then decided to take Stewart and get a second opinion. Another veterinarian, Michael **, on 5/3/16 and he indicated that Stewart was bloated and should be monitored carefully. He also indicated that something caused Stewart to have a type 6 heart murmur. A prescription to suppress the coughing was provided. I noticed that Stewart was not getting better and returned to the veterinarian on several occasions. On 5/21/16, Kari **, substituting for Michael **, stated that Stewart had bloody/tar like diarrhea probably caused by the liver. Bloodwork indicated the presence of toxins, but she was unable to determine the exact cause of the illness. She also stated that Stewart became anemic and an Iron supplement was provided, Pet-Tinic. The bloodwork test was unable to provide the specific toxins present, but a blood transfusion would be performed if Stewart's condition got worse.

The veterinarian asked what type of food he was eating and I stated Beneful. The Veterinarian just stayed silent and she walked out the exam room for a few minutes. She then returned and asked me to change his food immediately. When I arrived home, I decided to remove Beneful, the food Stewart was eating since 4/7/16. Stewart was given several injections of Lactate Ringers every 3 days in an attempt to flush out the toxins and to hydrate him. For a few days he was getting better, but he suddenly took a bad turn to the worse. My poor baby would just lie down with his head looking up and tears in his eyes. It was very heartbreaking to me. By this time, he lost 1 pound of body fat. I decided to feed him baby food and Pedialyte with a syringe, since he was refusing to eat Cesar or drink water on his own.

My father would hold Stewart and I would feed him with the syringe. Stewart tried to urinate and poop, but his thin legs would collapse due to tremors and weakness, but I would hold him up until he finished. Unfortunately, on 5/27/16 at 6:03 a.m. my baby boy passed away in my arms. The veterinarian stated that he never heard anything about Beneful but that there was a great possibility that Stewart may have been food poisoned... he exhibited all of the signs. The food poisoning would cause bloating, loss of appetite, coughing, lower body temperature by 2 or 3 degrees, bloody or tar like diarrhea, weakness, difficulty breathing, create a type 1 through 6 heart murmur, renal insufficiency or renal failure causing kidney failure, breathing difficulty, and finally heart failure. A horrible way to die!

I decided to check online and I was devastated to read the many tragic and sad stories of other pets dying after eating Beneful. Stewart was like a little person to me. He was all I had left after my mother left him in my care and then she suddenly passed away. I became extremely attached to him. Why would a company manufacture a product that kills and get away with it? It’s only about profits! Beneful, by Purina, contains Propylene Glycol (Antifreeze) which is very dangerous and fatal to pets. Beneful needs to be pulled off the store shelves and the Purina company fined to the maximum allowed by law!

Our healthy 11 year old dog died a slow and agonizing death form eating Beneful's Healthy Life, so ironic! She lost 10 percent of her weight, had numerous health issues stemming from the Beneful. Her lungs filled with fluid the last week of her life which had to be drained every other day until her heart couldn't take it and gave out, that food poisoned her and killed her. Her last meal was Bubba Burgers, but we would have switched her food if this had come to light before she passed. DON'T FEED YOUR PETS PURINA BENEFUL. HELL DON'T FEED THEM ANYTHING PURINA AND DON'T EAT THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS. They are trying to appear blameless that thousands of dogs have become ill from their dog food and hundreds have died too soon from eating their dog food.

I fed my dog Purina Beneful dry. Dog became very ill. My dog had vomiting, diarrhea, and stopped eating. He would not even get up to move. I took him to the vet and after 240 dollars of tests and X-rays I was sent home with antibiotics pain meds, nausea shots, and an iv bag. I was told do a bland diet. He ate the next day with no vomiting at all. I did this as the vet told me but as soon as I have my dog Beneful he started vomiting. I called the vet and I was told to change his food. They do not recommend the food.

I changed my dog to 4health from Tractor Supply and he got better. Then my brother's dog got sick just like my dog. I asked what they get their dog. It was Purina. I also have a friend who's dog got sick on Purina. Each of us live 45 min. apart. I contacted Purina and asked what their take was on the recent accusations about Purina. I then told them about all three dogs. I asked they reply and sent my email. I then received an automatic message saying I'll receive a reply in 24 to 48 hours. It's been three days and still waiting. My vet called to check on my dog and I made them aware of all three dogs and so if they received any more ill dogs to ask what they are eating. Spare your dog your checkbook. Beware of Purina.

Recently took my companion to the vet. Max my dog had blood work done which showed 5 high liver results. Cushing was mentioned along with other things I've been reading about caused by this food. I tossed everything I had. Prescribed Denosyl for the liver, this can be purchased over the Internet no prescription needed, helps to repair the liver. All information needed pertaining to Denosyl available on the internet. Hope this helps.

My dog was extremely sick for weeks with what the vet thought was gastritis. She was getting sicker and sicker, with bloody diarrhea, vomiting and loss of appetite. She normally eats cooked chicken, dry Iams and a little wet Beneful mixed in. Coincidentally, when I ran out of Beneful and didn't get to the store for a few days, she suddenly got much better. When I did go back to get some (not thinking it was the problem), all the Beneful wet food was all pulled off the shelves in all stores. THEY say due to a voluntary recall after finding it didn't have enough vitamins and minerals. Needless to say, after a week and a half of no Beneful, my dog is 100% healthy again. I find their explanation disingenuous. When I spoke to a Purina rep via phone, she immediately offered free food and to pay vet bills. I think they are most interested in covering up the fact that something in their food is literally poisoning pets. I will never EVER buy another Purina product!

My dog got very ill from the Beneful wet dog food that Beneful pulled from the grocery store shelf. That is only way I found out about the recall, the shelf was empty. My dog starting drinking water, peeing the house, got emaciated, would no longer eat. I returned the dated, poisoned food to the store but by then it was too late. He died tonight. That sweet little soul did not deserve to die from tainted food. He was never ill before.

Back in the day about 2 years ago I was buying this dog food until I noticed upon opening the bag it had cobwebs in it. I called petco and purina and got nowhere so I keep reporting this all the time. Beware.

This product killed my dog in less than a week. It is adulterated with endotoxins which USDA says can cause illness. Purina refuses to discuss my concerns about the quality and safety of this product with anyone with technical knowledge.

My daughter got a teacup Maltese poodle for her 15th birthday. Today after only having her for literally 3 wks we had ran out of dog food and while shopping at Target we picked up some Beneful food for her. Well today was the first day we fed it to her, an hour after she consumed it she began shaking, yelping, vomiting and her stomach began to bloat. She couldn't walk or even stand for that matter! I then Googled the symptoms and many horror stories of pet parents that have experienced the same situation pops up!

Before we could get dressed to take her to the vet we noticed that she laying completely still and not breathing! This was so devastating to my daughter! She cried uncontrollably and has a sense of guilt because she picked the food and fed it to her! As a mom this broke my heart! It is UNFAIR that this POISON is still sitting on the shelves of many stores! I'm outraged that the company has not taken responsibility, it's not about the money that's has been spent. It's about the families that have and will experience this tragedy as a result of their negligence!

After purchasing my dogs Beneful chopped blends on Saturday March 12, 2016, from Winn Dixie on SR 434 and Rangeline Road in Longwood Florida 32750. After a day and night of pain and very sick little dog, on the next day, Sunday I took him to our veterinarian and he had a case of pancreatitis. He has never suffered from this condition and said it was probably caused by something he ate. After leaving him for 2 days, x rays, ultrasounds, IV's and a deluge of medication, $2000.00 later I found out about this recall of specifically the brand he eats. What can I do? As I see it they owe me $2000.00 for all the medical costs, not to mention the pain my poor baby went through. Any suggestions??

My 10 year old Doxie had several seizures over the last three years. There was no known cause. The last one was January 1, 2015. Since I put her on a new dog food, she has not had one seizure. It makes me wonder why she stopped having seizures after being taken off Beneful pet food.

After running out of my usual dog food when the pet store was closed, I ran to the grocery store late one night and purchased Purina Beneful dog food. I fed it to my two Pomeranians in the evening for dinner and again the next morning. The same morning I noticed a large quantity of blood in my dog, Ella's stool. I took her to the vet and after testing they told me there was nothing wrong.

On my way out I purchased more of their usual dog food, Nutro ultra for toy breed, and there were no additional problems. Several months later I again went out of food and didn't bother to rush to the pet store because I knew I had to back up Purina Beneful dog food. I fed it to them for dinner only and again the next morning my dog had a large quantity of blood in her stool. I instantly realized it was the food. I never fed it to my dogs again and they never had any additional problems with blood in their stool. Thank God I realized before something more serious happened. My heart goes out to all who suffered disastrous consequences after feeding the dogs this dangerous food. Shame on Purina.

I have been feeding my Great Dane Beneful dog food for 2 months. He's been lethargic almost debilitating. He eats very little, has bloodshot eyes, sores in several areas of his body, and is losing quite a bit of weight fast since I've been feeding him this dog food. He yelps for no reason as though he's hurting. I've taken him to the doctor twice in 2 months and we can't seem to figure out what's wrong with him. I didn't want to believe the Purina company would continue to put out a dog food that's poisoning dogs. I'm switching his dog food and feeding him chicken in hopes that it will nurse him back to health. I pray that he doesn't have liver failure as reported in so many case complaints. I am terribly fearful for my baby!!!

I have several times over the last 6 months added Beneful Healthy Dog Food to my Labradoodle's diet. Both times within 3 weeks he became extremely ill with diarrhea to the point of pure blood. I have been trying to figure out what is causing it. I have had to place him on a white rice and boiled chicken diet as well as give him antibiotics and diarrhea medicine.

I recently decided to google his food and was in disbelief when I read how many others had experienced this same situation with Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. My bag is going in the TRASH and I feel terrible that I thought I was giving my dog a treat by rotating the Beneful into his feedings! However I was actually making him sick. I think back over the course of the last 6 months when I began this rotation with feedings and that is when the diarrhea and blood began. It irritates and frustrates me that these dog food companies don't care about animals in the same way that pet owners care. GOOD BYE BENEFUL!

I put my Theodore (18) on Beneful dry dog food. Symptoms - throwing up, spasms, peeing on himself causing sores, coughing, sneezing, lethargic, spacey, high liver blood count, on MANY medications to ease him. We all thought it was due to his age. I inherited my son's dog (10) and he ate Beneful and started the same syndrome and we thought he was mimicking Theodore as he does this with all other animals including cat's behavior. I noticed when I tried a different brand of food they did not have the problem. I'm stunned!!!

They are OFF the food. Theodore is dying from it now, I'm too late. Since being off he has been better but the severe damage is done. I can save the other dog. I HOPE. I ONLY found out about this due to this site. I feel like I tortured my babies knowingly and I didn't. Beneful is POISON. Don't feed your animals this food please. If I only knew this 6 months ago, I would never have fed them this. Heartbreaking and when in God's name will they recall and stop producing this product!!! I'm keeping the bags as evidence!!! Vet bills and tests as evidence!!!

Puppy died at 9 months with liver damage after eating Beneful dog food. This was a wonderful dog. Please do not buy this product or provide it in your store. The food is toxic and sprayed with a spray dogs cannot resist. But the contents are poisonous for dogs. We tried to save the dog, but could not.

My Maggie 8-year-old Sheep Dog was eating the healthy weight Beneful dog food and died with Carcinoma cancer - from toxin poison to her liver. She had the same symptoms, lost 20 pounds, stop eating, yellow in the eyes, not strength. I told her to the vets on Monday, they checked her blood. It was off so I took her in for a ultrasound. They found lesions in her liver. I then had biopsy done and it was carcinoma cancer from toxin poison. She died 11/30/2015 a week later. This was devastated to me. I will never see my best friend again.

I have emailed our state representatives (NH) trying to get the dog food companies to out a warning label on the front of any dog food that has anything in the ingredients that could harm or kill our dogs. This is not fair. We as consumer have no choice but to trust that the food on the shelves isn't going to poison and kill our pets, (our family member). I also filed a lawsuit against Beneful through the website Morgan & Morgan and suggest you do the same. This is a nightmare, it's been over a month now that Maggie has been gone and I just miss her so much. I cannot fill the big empty hole in my heart. I hope this message helps someone else so they do not have to lose their best friend from negligence. Something NEEDS to be done to stop this, it's all about the money and not the best interest of our animals.

My 15 year old dachshund has been eating beneful dry dog food and all of the sudden she is itching and chewing herself and won't stop. Just found out it could be her dog food. She is losing her hair and is just miserable. Don't know how to remedy the problem.

One of my Corgis died from seizures last fall. Not taking stock in what I had read on social media I continued to feed my dogs Beneful. Another one of my Corgis died this week. The vet said her bladder had exploded. Please do not feed your four-legged family members this poison.

I switched to Beneful dry dog food last spring thinking the commercials were right. I was under the assumption the food was good for dogs. My dog ended up with severe skin allergies and open sores due to the food. I had to take her to the vet's office 3 different times and spent a bucket load of money on prescriptions. As soon as I took her off any Purina foods, she cleared up.

We lost our Lab due to this food. She was a bit overweight. She ate this food and then refused it. Within a week she lost a lot of weight, literally skin and bones. We gave her another food, scraps, essentially anything that would get her to eat. She started drinking a lot of water. We thought maybe she was going to be on the mend once she began eating again. She was healthy, active, prior to us feeding her this food. She certainly didn't eat much of it. We could see some differences in her personality as she prepared to pass away. We lost her at 9.5 years on 12-12-15. She gave us one last tail wag two hours before passing. I am positive due to her prior weight, health that this food is responsible. I will never touch their product again and have quite a bit remaining. My dog knew better and we missed it.

I was feeding Beneful dog food to my dogs because they liked the flavor over a few of the other brands back in the summer of 2014. My best friend Gypsy was pregnant at the time with her first litter of puppies. She was extremely picky at the time and wouldn't eat anything but the Beneful. After she had the puppies (August 2014) I noticed that she became very thin, believing that it was due to just having puppies. I added eggs to her food. She soon started vomiting and refused to eat any of her food at all. I took her to the vet and they gave her some antibiotics.

Within four days she was too weak to walk and I had to carry her to the car. She could no longer care for her puppies. I drove her to the vet and they did an emergency operation on her. The vet said that while she was open on the table she could see an enormous hole in her intestines. She picked up her intestines and it disintegrated in the palm of her hands, at which point Gypsy's heart stopped beating and she was gone. Gypsy was gone!

I asked "what could have caused this?" I asked "was this caused by her pregnancy", the vet said "no". She said that could only be caused by something she was eating. She asked me what I was feeding her and I told her. She asked me if I had ever given her aspirin or anything that would have acid that could eat a hole in her stomach? I told her "no! Never!" She had only been given the antibiotics and she hadn't even taken those as she should because she was already sick and refusing to eat. I was devastated!!! Gypsy was not only my best friend, but a member of our family. She had gone through some very life changing experiences with me.

The vet bill was horrendous. I sold my car to pay the cost. I contacted Beneful to inform them that I felt that they were responsible for the death of my Gypsy. I received an email stating... "we are sorry, but we are not responsible... blaugh, blaugh, blaugh..." I have not heard anything more from the company. Please stop them from hurting anyone else.

My poodle has been sick a lot lately. He had been eating Beneful dog food. So we heard there was a recall, so we changed his food to kibbles n bits. Now he is having seizures and his belly has been bloated. So took him to the vet. Vet gave him some meds and told us to change his food. Maybe too late we switched to Blue, better grade of dog food. Meanwhile we hope he gets better. But for now we're sure it was the other dog foods making him sick. So don't feed your dog Beneful or kibbles n bits food!

Purchased Purina brand dog food two years ago and it made my dogs sick. They sent me coupon to replace bag. Now my German shepherd with (dm). We were at Amelia island and purchased small bag of Beneful to mix with his food as treat. This was a 5 lb bag. We came home and mixed it with our shar-pei food as well. Exactly 7 days from start of mixing this food my poor German shepherd who was perfectly healthy died in my arms. He bleed from his mouth and urine. The shar-pei was ill for another week. I am so glad I did not buy more to treat her with her normal food. I am no vet but this was second time their products have sickened my animals and now Milo is gone. With (DM) he may have had years before it took over his body. This was too soon. Both times there was a timeline with their products. Please do not buy their garbage. Feed it to rats. Not to your family.