Beneful Pet Foods
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Beneful Pet Foods

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

1772 Beneful Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I've been feeding my dog Beneful original formula off and on since I rescued her nearly 10 years ago. There was never an issue as far as I could tell. But about a year ago she stopped showing interest her food and was eating less and less and was also becoming more and more lethargic. She also would frequently eat my other dogs' food who is on a special diet because of allergies. I thought she liked his food better and wasn't as active because she's getting older, but since she was losing weight I started adding wet food to her dry to try to entice her to eat more frequently, which worked. Mostly she has just had runny and mucousy poops from time to time but I thought it was because we were giving her too much wet food, so I would scale it down, and have changed the wet food a few times, but her poops stayed the same.

Three days ago I popped into the grocery store and picked her up a small bag of food to get her through until I could make it to Target to get her the larger bag. I had accidently grabbed the beef Beneful instead of the original and the next day she had runny poops. Then last night I came home from work to find her completely freaked out and absolutely covered in hives, she had also vomited up all of her breakfast. I thought that maybe she was just allergic to the beef so I threw it out and had my boyfriend to stop to get her the original Beneful.

I gave her some ** and the hives went down a little and she seemed more comfortable, and come her usual dinner time she seemed more than ready to eat. Since I also wasn't 100% sure if it was the wet food since she had only been on it for a few months, I only gave her the dry kibbles. Within 30 minutes of eating it she was covered in hives from head to toe, about 3 times worse than they were when I'd first gotten home. I gave her more ** and monitored her to make she wasn't having any respiratory distress etc. She is a very well behaved dog and even though she knows she's not allowed on the bed when we tried to get to calm down and stop itching last night she jumped up on the bed and burrowed into me. I decided to let her sleep in the bed with us since it seemed to help calm her. I woke up several times during the night to the sound of her whimpering, even in her sleep.:(

She had a pretty rough night, but thankfully seemed back to normal and hive free this morning. We of course didn't give her any of the Beneful again today. When I got home from work this evening I Sat down to research the ingredients in the Beneful original formula, the Beneful beef and her wet food so that I could make sure that the new food I get her doesn't contain any of the ingredients found in them. That's when I found this website. I just can't believe that I've been tricking her into eating poison all this time by adding wet food to it. I feel absolutely horrible and I just hope that no irreversible damage was done. :(

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

At the time when my sweet pup, Fancy, grew ill we had no idea it could be her food. We fed her Beneful dry food for most of her life. And for most of her life she had bathroom issues. And for the months leading up to her death, she had seizures, diarrhea, and ultimately - liver failure that led to her death. My mother and I spent thousands of dollars trying to properly diagnose her illness and hopefully cure her. When we first noticed her issues we did switch her food but looking back knowing what we do know about this food - it was too late. She died in Aug of 2013 and was sick for most of that year. Shame on you Purina - you killed our sweet girl and we were too naive to think her food was killing her.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Every now and then I would buy Purina Beneful products for my beloved "Minnie," who is an SPCA rescued half-poodle/half-yorkie dog that I've had for the past 5 years. She is now only 7 years old. I've noticed that she literally shakes after eating Purina Beneful products but, had no idea that it was the dog food itself that was causing her to shake. I was of the assumption that "Purina," such a well-known American brand dog food, would know what is best for my dog. Boy, was I wrong!

I just looked at all of the symptoms in these reviews of pets that have died after eating this brand of dog food from Purina, and it is the exact same symptoms that my beloved Minnie has been showing every time I feed her this junk. Shame on Purina for putting food coloring in their products that is banned in other countries due to their cancerous properties. I will never buy a Purina product again, and hopefully, I have not damaged my family member's (my dog's) liver and kidney so much by feeding her this junk.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

My dog eats Beneful Healthy Weight dry dog food. There is not a lot of grain in it but lots of vegetables and chicken. She has kept the same weight for six years and still enjoys the dog food. It is not terribly expensive and quite often there are coupons that help defer the cost.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I had a very healthy 5 yr old dog that I had had for four years and always fed her Beneful. She went into kidney failure and died in March of 2016. I rescued another dog later that month, she is 3 yrs old, and I have been feeding her Beneful. Now, suddenly, she is showing the same symptoms that my other dog did just weeks before she died! The commonality of their symptoms caused me to see if I could find any issue with Beneful dog food making dogs ill, and lo and behold I come across an entire lawsuit!?! There is no doubt this is an issue and I can't believe the lawsuit was dismissed. This is no coincidence that so many have lost their dogs this way recently, and I am certainly not making up what has happened to my dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneful?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

It's great. My rescue dogs love it. I love that they even have little bites for smaller dogs like for my Chihuahua mix and they eat everything. They don't pick and leave the rest. It looks tasty and even has soft pieces and has a variety of shapes, color and taste and made with real ingredients. Just the best!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

We adopted Charlotte, a Staffordshire, back in April when she was 8 months old. She was already 49 pounds but is healthy and trim. Beneful has good ingredients and is healthy. We tried a few others just to see which is to her liking but we came back to Beneful. She seems to enjoy the Salmon best of the dry food. The price point is much better than a lot of other brands which helps when you're on a budget, plus a well fed happy dog.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

We have 2 dogs. One small breed & one large breed. They have been on Pro Plan their whole life. It was recommended by their Vet. Both dogs love the food & both dogs are very healthy. It is available at any pet store. We highly recommend it. :)

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

When our dog had puppies in 2012, I chose a medium priced dog food thinking it would better. Beneful advertised veggies and meat, and looked like a better quality product. Sadly, it was the first food our beautiful Brutus ever ate and all he was fed for his early years. After hearing the claims that it was harmful, I found info that sounded like the dog food had mold, which I hadn't seen, so I continued feeding it to him and our other two, older dogs. When we tried to change their food, it was hard to find anything they'd eat as well as Beneful.

Now our 5 yr old Brutus, the friendliest, most loving and attentive dog we've ever owned is at the vet's suffering from kidney failure. This dog has never eaten or chewed on anything that we didn't give him. When the vet suggested his kidneys may have been compromised long ago and just got to the point where there were symptoms, I decided to review the Beneful info again.

I found that there are toxins in the food, fit in "acceptable" limits. Well, our baby was ingesting those when his puppy body was growing, when I thought I was giving him something healthy. Since kidneys can operate with up to 75% damage it makes sense that it wasn't obvious earlier. Although he didn't die in a few short weeks after being fed Beneful, it makes sense that those toxins built up in him and finally caused kidney failure. He has never been exposed to anything else that would explain the horrible illness. It's time Purina stepped up and removed Beneful from the shelves. Brutus is a member of our family, - and we are grieving over him.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I just bought a bag of dog food and notice my pitbull while she is eating stop and was getting sick in the bowl and on the floor were huge chunks of moldy dog food. I am unsure if I should take it back to store or keep it in case she gets worse. I don't know what to do. Please help my pet. She is my world.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

My ten-month-old puppy, Charlie, has died after eating Purina Beneful dog food. His illness began shortly after eating the food. He started having trouble breathing – a little at first, but within a couple days his sides were heaving and he could no longer run or play. I took him to the vet on Friday and the vet could hear that his heart was in bad shape. He seemed shocked and asked me repeatedly, “You haven't noticed these symptoms before?” "No, it just started." He said to schedule an x-ray the following week. Over the weekend, not yet realizing the problem, I fed my best friend this poison from the palm of my hand thinking if he would just eat he could survive. I had no idea the food was what was killing him and the pain of my actions consumes me. I spent a beautiful day with him outdoors on Sunday. My healthy, active, frisky puppy could only bask in the sun. He had to be carried. He could barely walk on his own. Monday, he couldn't go on.

My baby passed away in my arms. My BEST FRIEND. The canine love of my life, my soulmate. I loved this beautiful, innocent animal as my child. I protected him from owls, from strangers, from fire ants, and sandspurs... But I could not protect him from his own food his life source. I am heartbroken and devastated by his loss. After his death, I racked my brain for every possibility of his illness – and the only change had been in his dog food. Lo and behold, he's not the first and likely will not be the last to lose his life due to a "trusted" brand keeping poison on store shelves.

My baby is gone. My sweet, loving, affectionate, silly, funny, wonderful Charlie is gone. Phi, Alex. I really thought you were a good guy and I hate feeling so disappointed... is there any chance you could do what you said you would do, based on principle, so my final impression of you will be as a man of your word? And if you won't do it, then could you at least tell me why you won't rather than ignoring me, as a man of integrity? Purina, please, please, please stop what you're doing and don't allow another life to be lost.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I have a German Shepherd Greyhound mix. I have had Skippy for 16 years, he was a rescue for my granddaughter's 5th birthday. I have fed Skippy Beneful from the day we brought him home. He is now 18 and his vet says he is in the best shape for his age. The vet asked me what I was feeding him. When I told him he suggested I contact the company and let them know. Skippy is a family member not just a pet, I trained him myself to be a service dog for me I have a severe back injury and am unable to walk some days. I have tried to give Skippy different foods but he loves Beneful, both wet and dry. He has recently had a full blood test done and has no problems with anything except he has arthritis which is not surprising for his age. So I do feel bad for those who have lost their dogs but I for one have no complaints about Beneful dog food.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I was feeding my dogs a brand of dog food that I had to travel to buy. I had seen ads saying that Beneful had a new formulation that had beef as the first ingredient and it was available at a local grocery store so I bought it and over a few days switched the dogs over. The new food was enticing and the dogs seemed to like it. Within a week of being on the food, I came home on a Wednesday night to find my 10 year old golden-doodle Jack very ill. I rushed him to an emergency vet and they found he had a heart rate of 200, had to be put on oxygen because his gums and tongue were grey, and they witnessed the extreme abdominal/back 'contractions' that made me take him there in the first place.

After x-rays, blood tests and an US, they could see no obstructions or anything of immediate concern. They gave him a shot of painkiller and I took him home. He slept most of the next couple days which I chalked up to the painkiller and I spoke with my regular vet saying that I would watch him and come in if necessary. He wasn't eating but was eager for water and was able to get out for walks etc. Sunday was a bad day but Monday and Tuesday he seemed to rebound a bit to his puppy like self and didn't want his kibble but seemed eager to eat. I put some pumpkin, something that he loved and is good for dogs tummies, on his kibble and he licked it all off and left the kibble. Within an hour the contractions started in earnest.

My vet was closed, the emergency vet over an hour away. I lay beside him comforting him and waiting for the episodes to subside but they didn't. I had an appointment the next day at my own vet and thought we would certainly get there. At one point I was sitting on the couch on the phone with someone and he got up, came over to me, put his paw on my knee and fell over backwards. He didn't get up again and by 4:30 in the morning he was dead. I was with him until the end. I ran over the preceding weeks trying to figure out what I could have done to contribute to such a drastic change in a beautiful healthy animal and I decided to look up Beneful to see if there was anything online about this brand, something in hindsight, I should have done before buying it.

I was shocked by what I read. Jack's symptoms were exactly what many pet owners had documented with their own pet's after putting them on Beneful... there were hundreds!! Many cases had ended up with the death of a beloved animal like mine. Purina, although a recipient of these complaints and a class action lawsuit, continues to promote and distribute this brand.

My little dog Wilson is now refusing to eat kibble... I've reverted to travelling for the other brand again... and I am watching for similar symptoms. He is a little tank with an ironclad constitution so I'm hoping this is just grief and not illness. Stay away from this brand. I've informed my local grocery of Jack's death. Because Purina is such a big company, they are uncertain what, if anything they can do but the manager has promised to pass my concerns on to head office with a reference to the online info. I trusted a brand because of advertising and have paid the ultimate price. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Purina get rid of this dog food! My dog 9 yr old Scottish terrier was eating Healthy Weight Beneful. Got really sick puking, drinking tons of water. Dehydrated took her to vet she stayed the day got IVs and they gave her a prescription dog food. $350 new food and she was fine immediately. Once again, not realizing it was the food I introduced her to Beneful again puking a lot. Bought another bag of prescription food. She was fine immediately. I started mixing the Beneful with prescription to wean her off last night and at 2am woke up to her throwing up again. Are you really going to tell me it isn't the Beneful dog food? Got online and omg found countless articles. I was giving her this and poisoning her! Take it off the market. I'm on the hunt for a new food. If they cared so much for animals they would take all of these people's accounts into consideration. No it's about the almighty dollar.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

We have two dogs that were eating Beneful. Unfortunately, now I only have one dog and she will never eat Beneful again. My beautiful 27 pound Beagle named Lucky died ten days after showing symptoms of being sick. She stopped eating, was vomiting, had diarrhea, and drinking tons of water. Our vet indicated after doing blood work that her kidneys were failing and it was only a matter of time. After she died, my other dog refused to eat the Beneful. She would lay near her food, look at her dish like she was hungry but would not eat. That is when I went online and researched Beneful and the terrible rating Beneful has received and about dogs dying due to eating Beneful. I just wish I had known sooner.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

From all that I have read with all the symptoms of Liver and kidney failure, I myself just went through a horrible episode with my 9 year old Black Lab named Diesel. A Very healthy and happy pet until I switched to Beneful dog food, I was unaware of the dangers of this poison until my ex told me about it, I did research and this is the third forum I found with the same results. My boy was fine and within 2 weeks started puking, peeing in the house and when he started pooping it was a brown dark brown color. Again unaware it was the food I was feeding him.

Today I had to put him to sleep, he could no longer get up, his legs were wobbly, he wouldn't eat for four days, he drank water that I asked him to drink. I stayed up 2 nights with him. It's been a horrible day for both of us, then knowing that I lost my best friend by feeding him this Beneful poison. The anger I feel inside has overwhelmed me as to knowing that they sell this crap in all the stores. With all the evidence of all the posts should be sufficient enough of wrongful sales and consumption of this product. I Curse these companies for doing what they do all for profit.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

My dog, Max... a healthy border collie, died from eating Beneful. He was bleeding from his kidneys, mouth, and all internal organs. We spent $4,000 dollars trying to keep him alive to no avail. It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life! When the vet said it was due to the dog food we were feeding him... our hearts were broken. All this from a dog food, beneful, that to this day remains on the shelves of our local super market. I cannot let Max die in vain, without speaking up and letting others know. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

We have been feeding our 3 adult dogs Kibbles 'n Bits. Unfortunately our local store was out of stock and decided to get Beneful dry dog food. Yesterday, Sunday October 23 our American Bully (Remy) got sick. We've had her going on about a year now and hasn't been sick once until yesterday. I thought it was strange, but didn't think more about it. That was around noon. Well later that night around 10 pm she got sick again and both times contained her dog food. We put her up in her kennel for the night. As I woke during the late night early morning there was two more piles of vomit containing dog food and at that time the only dog of 3 that was in there was our Labradoodle (Coco). This is the only thing that was done differently. I hope I have catched it in time and will be switching back to our preferred Dog Food. I also took photos of the 2nd dogs vomit, this really upsets me.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

My brother & sister in law's 10 year old Corgi was a happy, healthy dog up until about 2 weeks ago. He began peeing in the house, wouldn't eat, had diarrhea, and his rear legs were shaking. We were expecting a hurricane in our area so we chalked it up to him perhaps sensing the impending storm and being nervous. But his symptoms continued after the storm had passed, so he was taken to the vet. Initially he was diagnosed with an undetermined gastrointestinal upset and sent home with antibiotics. A few days had passed and he still wasn't improving so the vet ordered an ultrasound. It was then that a cancerous tumor the size of a tennis ball was found in his intestines and was attaching itself to lymph nodes as well. The agonizing decision was made to put the dog to sleep.

My sister in law offered me the remainder of a bag of dry food for my dog, so it wouldn't go to waste. I asked her what she was feeding her dog, as in the past he had always been given Iams or Science Diet. When she responded "Beneful", my heart sank. She switched his food about 3 months ago, and he had all the symptoms listed in other reviews. I had read in various places about pets being sickened and dying after eating the Beneful brand and I didn't have the heart to show her the reviews on this site about this food, as she is still heartbroken over how suddenly and quickly her sweet dog got sick and passed away. Plus, telling her isn't going to bring her dog back. But hopefully my review and all the others posted here will save another dog's life in the future by not being fed Beneful. There are too many instances of this happening for this not to be investigated. Our innocent, voiceless 4 legged friends need us to speak up for them!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

Our 11 year old Beagle has fallen ill with symptoms similar to those described by other complainants. I am very heartbroken and scared that my Beagle may not recover because he does not seem to be getting better. His main food source has been Beneful sometimes by itself and sometimes mixed with a little bit of chicken, beef, or turkey. In the past month he started getting very loose stools that look like jello, diarrhea, and symptoms of lethargy and a loss of appetite. We took him to the vet on 10-11-2016 and blood lab tests show elevation of three liver enzymes. He was prescribed ** which we are giving him daily but so far no improvement. Something is seriously wrong here and Purina needs stop selling this formula.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

As a pet owner pretty much all of my life, I have always been conscious of what I give my dogs to eat since they eat the same food everyday. Pedigree is a better brand than this product. My younger brother purchased Purina Beneful dog food while I was away on vacation. Lo and behold BOTH of my dogs got sick. BOTH of them threw up. If only of them got sick then I would think it was something else that got her sick, however, both of them did. Please do not give your dogs this product. One of my dogs who is 15 years of age is currently at the vet getting blood work done because she is too weak to even walk. My dog has been a healthy dog, never any problems and now all of a sudden this. I don't believe this is due to old age because again both of dogs got sick. Whoever makes this product should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have a very sick little boy on my hands & I believe I may have poisoned him by feeding him Beneful Dog food. My Oliver is a 9 yr old shih tzu. I had read all the reviews, seen all the recalls, check the Web in the past but still feed him the food in moderation. I have given him a couple handfuls of the dry food once a week since he was a baby. Because of some financial hardships in my family I started giving him the dry IncrediBites daily about 3 weeks ago. He seemed fine until today. Last night I decided to change it up a bit & gave him the dry mixed with a small 3 oz can of Beneful medley wet food. Within an hour of feeding him this combo he had what I would call hives. His lips & face swelled & he was itching everywhere.

Today he is lethargic, will not drink any water, of course won't eat anything & is puking all over my house. He seems confused, is digging at his bed (which he has never done before) & only calms down when he puts his head/face against the wall or the couch. I truly believe it's the Beneful food. Don't know if it's the combo of wet & dry or if he has just had too much of the dry. Of course it's Saturday night & all the vets in town are closed. I hope we don't lose him before we can get him some help!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Our beautiful, sweet and most loving lab died today. Our vet was very concerned when he knew she had been eating Beneful. She was fine about 7 last night then about 2 hrs later she was whining with severe vomiting and diarrhea. Within the next hour she was having trouble breathing and lethargic. We took her to the emergency vet and around 1 today we had to say our last goodbyes. She was our heart and not just a pet but a part of our family. I have since learned that many other concerned pet owners have had the same issues and they too are Beneful. If this poison had not been on the shelves, our Sadie would most likely be with us now.

Purina states the food has Propylene Glycol that is safe for humans. Dogs CANNOT consume a lot of the same things as humans. Their bodies can't handle it. PLEASE for all of the animal lovers try to have this regulated so no more helpless and defenseless babies don't suffer and their owners. Our Sadie we can never get back but maybe if something is done more will not die.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

Bought a brand new 15lbs bag of Beneful Playful Life, got home ready to feed my 2 year beagle and BOOM! MAGGOTS inside the bag! I AM TALKING ABOUT HUNDREDS OF LIVE MAGGOTS INSIDE THE BAG!!! Bag was completely sealed to this has to come directly from Purina! BOYCOTTING PURINA!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

Both my chihuahua is freakin sick. Balance is off on both and my older one is lethargic and can't walk!!! Fed them a piece of crap food. I had to buy a bag in a emergency and I did remember hearing it sucked but would have thought you guys fixed the problem. Nope. I will update in a week and throwing this bag in garbage!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

We have been feeding our dogs Beneful Healthy Weight for 2-3 years. Our vet recently told us that they have been sued due to kidney issues with dogs and this dog food. Our 7 year old Aussie/Blue Heeler mix now has a kidney tumor. They thought it was an UTI and she went on two rounds of antibiotics that cleared up some of the blood in her urine. However, we learned yesterday that her tumor is growing and is inoperable. We are very saddened to possibly be the reason she is sick, due to the choices we made for her. I am simply echoing what I have read and learned. We will be looking at www.dogfoodadvisor.com for recommendations.

Original review: July 27, 2016

The night of 7/24/16 my 7-month-old Australian Shepherd ate Purina Beneful Incredibites. The next morning 7/25/16 around 4:00 am she started throwing up and progressively worsened developing diarrhea, stopped eating, became extremely lethargic & withdrawn. My husband threw the food away after I told him how ill she became.

I contacted my vet who advised us to wait two days as a food change sometimes causes and upset stomach. We are to take her in if her symptoms worsen or lasts longer than two days. Today 7/26, she still has not eaten and continues to have the same symptoms. I contacted my vet again who said it could try Pepto and if she doesn't eat by tomorrow take her to the vet. My puppy held the Pepto down for 45 minutes before throwing up. It's after 9 pm & she still hasn't eaten. Please do not feed this to your dog as there have been several comments of dogs becoming very ill and dying. I will continue to watch my puppy and take her to the vet tomorrow if needed.

Original review: July 22, 2016

I have been buying Beneful for years now. My dogs seem to love it but on about a handful of occasions my German Shorthaired Pointer would turn her nose up at her bowl and refuse to eat. She would starve herself rather than eat the food. I figured she'll eventually get hungry and eat but she wouldn't. Her stomach would growl with hunger so I would switch her food up, feed her scraps then switch back. I have had problems with both of my dogs throwing up and severe diarrhea. Not putting two and two together that the dog food was the issue until recently.

I bought a new bag of beneful and my pointer is refusing to eat it. I buy the bite size and didn't realize they make both beef and chicken so I'm thinking she doesn't like the beef. I'll go buy another bag of chicken, nope she refused to touch that either. She vomited all over the house then one night and now my Great Dane has stopped eating it also and he is now having severe diarrhea. So I jump online and read these reviews and am appalled that this food has not been recalled. I will no longer be buying this product for my dogs. Shame on you Purina!!!

Original review: July 15, 2016

My dog has been eating Beneful treats and starting having bloody urine and lethargic behavior and drinking excessive water and white saliva. Vet put him on a prescription for 3 wks with ** +50mg - vet thought he had a bladder or urinary tract infection. We stopped giving him Beneful treats during his prescription and he was just fine after only 2 days of taking the meds, until the last wk of his prescription, we bought him Beneful Peanut Butter treats. He has had them for three days and now he has started to having bloody urine again. It has always happened after he has Beneful Peanut Butter treats.

Please help, do not know what to do but stop giving him these treats. His meds are so expensive and my dog is almost 10 yrs old and is still intact. He has always been spunky and full of life. He really thinks he is still a puppy when he is well, but each time this happens and it is usually twice a year he becomes like an 80yr old dog. I just want Tyson (my dog) to be healthy again and happy.

Original review: July 12, 2016

Please everyone do your own research for the sake of your dogs' lives. Yes Beneful is terrible for dogs, but so are other dogs foods that people here are posting that they replaced it with, like Rachael Ray's dog food... also bad! You can find unbiased reviews of dog foods at Dogfoodadvisor.com. Many manufacturers are dishonest in their advertising, saying their dog food is "natural" or "healthy" when that couldn't be further from the truth!!! It's worth taking a few minutes to do some research and make smart choices on behalf of your fur babies who don't know any better and will eat whatever you give them because they trust you.

Beneful Pet Foods Company Information