2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5
Based on 1,052 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2014

My dogs, Riley and Titus, were fixed today at Banfield Hospital on Rivers Ave in north Charleston, South Carolina. The Vet was Dr. ** and the vet assistant was **. I took my dogs home, by myself. When I got them home I was able to take a closer look, and come to find out, Titus had been shaved. Not just in the regular procedure areas, as expected, but they cut my dog's hair completely around his back up to his shoulders! They did NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION to do this. They cut off all of my dogs' beautiful curls and I am not sure if they will grow back. I am furious that they would do this without my permission. Shaving him on his belly and genital area is understandable, but if he required more than that I should have been informed. You don't just take a long haired dog and shave him without permission.

This is the SECOND time I have had problems with the treatment of my animals at Banfield. The first time was when they took my kitten Emma back to draw blood, brought her back to me and 10 minutes later came back in to inform me that they FORGOT that they needed more blood from her. They took her back again and I watched from the window as they shoved a needle into her 7 different times to draw blood. I am sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Original review: July 7, 2014

I had a pet pass and I lost my job and I never received anything that I was in collections three years ago. Called and their customer service is horrible. They don't listen, don't care, don't believe anything you say. They can't prove anything also. My favorite Dr. retired and it was obvious that the office manager didn't like him. Never going back. I have found a very good Dr. for all my pets in Goodyear, AZ.

Original review: July 5, 2014

We took our dog Kyra a four year old Parsons Jack Russell, a pure bred to Banfield because they have an affordable yearly plan. Last year (2013) we took her for her vaccinations Lyme Disease and another vaccination. When we brought her home she had an allergic reaction and they told us to give her allergy meds, so we did. She had a large lump on her leg and she was in pain and she snapped at us, which she has never done. The Doctor R. told us last year she can`t have two vaccinations at a time, do one vaccination a week apart for next time.

On Sunday May 18 2014 my husband went to pick up heartworm medicine single dose for my dog. The receptionist said she has to come back for a heartworm test. My husband gave Kyra the heartworm medicine that following day. I called to make an appt for Kyra for the Heartworm Test and have her nails cut. Tuesday May 20th I brought her in drop off. I put on the Check in Paper, she had a biscuit to eat this am and SHE CAN NOT HAVE TWO VACCINATIONS AT A TIME WHEN THEY ASK IF YOUR DOG EVER HAD ALLERGIC REACTIONS, THAT IS WHAT I WROTE. JUST EXTRA INFO THAT WE GIVE SAME FOR HUMANS WHEN WE GO TO DR.

When I went to pick Kyra up that day with my daughter, the nurse and the receptionist came out said they gave her Lyme and Bortedell vaccination today, I said I didn't know they gave her the vaccinations and she said yes they will keep us up to date on what she needs. They never gave her allergy medicine, gave the two vaccinations that day, never asked me if they could go ahead and give her the vaccinations. They were negligence on their part, not paying attention to the check in sheet. Dr R and Dr O were irresponsible.

We brought her home and she was never the same dog. Laying around, not drinking, Leg Shaking, just not the fun loving dog we had up till that day. This is a Jack Russell, they play, they jump, they bark!!!!! We waited a day, I called Wednesday afternoon I called the hospital and told them that my dog was not right, something happened. They said to give her an Adult Benedryl pill and we did. No change, the next day I called and said we are coming in something is wrong. She just laid in the cage.

My daughter and husband dropped her off at 1:30 pm, they were told that the drs were at lunch. At 2:30 they said we can come pick Kyra up, nothing is wrong, but they will give us some Rimadyll anti-inflammatory pills. Saturday I called the Hospital Manager. She said Dr O checked her, there is nothing wrong with her. Sunday we brought her in and they felt her back and she winced so Dr C prescribed some sedative and Rimadyl and to keep her in a cage because of her back, no running, no this, no that.

They wanted 38.00 dollars for the meds and I said I wasn’t paying anything. That night our baby Kyra was acting all drunk with the sedative and all so we called and said it was too much for her and the dr said to give her half a pill the next day but we didn't. She was acting still strange, I called, asked what the name of the vaccinations and the heartworm med etc. They said they had changed companies this year. They switched to Merck Heartworm Tri Hart, I believe and the Lyme was by Merck also... She was shaking lethargic and not drinking, wanting to stay away under the bed all day.

On Tuesday we got worried and took her to The Veterinary Specialty Hospital in New Castle Delaware. She was shaking and not right, the doctor kept her there for the day for 800 dollars. They thought she had a disc disease but they checked her blood and that was ok and gave her an x-ray for the spine and told me we need an MRI for 3000.00, if we want to know since it didn't show any disc problem on the x-ray. They prescribed her Tramidol pain killer and same anti inflammatory meds. We brought her home, gave her the meds evening at 6:00, we picked her up, she was still in pain and out of it.

On Thursday May 29th, she got real bad shaking, wouldn't eat or drink at all. I noticed her back leg was going stiff and she couldn't lift her back body up. We rushed her to the hospital and right before the hospital, she had a Grand Mal seizure. We rushed her in, they ran in with a paper that says we need 500 dollars. Of course we signed the paper. They said she kept having seizures all through the night, we kept her there. Of course they wanted 1300 dollars to 2200. They give you a work up the high price and the low price to save your animal`s life and they require 75 percent.

The following morning Friday May 29th, our beloved Kyra was gone. She died at 7:00, they worked on her for fifteen minutes to save her but she was gone at four years old. We are heartbroken. Of course Banfield started a claim at our request with Merck to do a necropsy to find out the cause of death and we waited and they said she had all this inflammation in the brain, something was wrong with the stomach, the lung etc on the necropsy report. Therefore it was not the vaccination that caused the death of our baby, a dog that was fine before the day we brought her for her nails clipped and her heartworm test. They were negligent in the first place I called to ask for a copy of Kyra`s records to both places and a copy of the check in paper and they said they throw those out!!! I did receive a sympathy card from Banfield but Dr O and R never signed it, but Dr C. Did. Please be aware of your pet`s care.

Original review: July 5, 2014

I took my dog to Banfield Pet Hospital which is part of Pet Smart for check up and the doctor prescribed Remicin ointment for my dog's ear infection. Sadly within 5 days our dog became deaf. The doctor never disclosed that there would be such risk of hearing loss. The entire family including our children are devastated and saddened to see our joyful and playful dog behaving so quiet and depressed, showing no reaction and not responding to anything due to being deaf. When we discussed the hearing loss issue with the doctor at "Banfield Pet Hospital", they confirmed that the Remicin may cause deafness and did not explain why such important factor was not disclosed to us.

Should we have known the risk, we would have never accepted to give Remicin to our dog. We will take any possible action to let people know about this drug and the misconduct of the doctors at Banfield Pet Hospital of Pet Smart. These group are more focused on making money rather than the well being of the animal and they provide no proper explanation regarding this issue. We now have a very distressed, sad, stressful and difficult environment in our household dealing with a deaf dog which is an important part of our family. Tell everyone that the Remicin antibiotic causes deafness in dogs and double check any prescription given by the doctors of the Banfield Pet Hospital of the Pet Smart company.

Original review: June 26, 2014

In April of this year, my approximately 11-year-old cat was hospitalized at a local emergency vet, diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He underwent all of the necessary diagnostic workup and treatment including tapping of the fluid. Upon discharge from the hospital, a discussion was had with the treating vet that my cat would have to be on 3 medications for the rest of his life: Lasix, Enalapril, and 1/4 baby aspirin. His life expectancy would be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years depending on how he responded to the medication. I was also informed that periodic kidney function labs should be performed due to the Lasix (a diuretic) and he should be on a prescription renal diet.

As an aside, my financial situation right now does NOT permit me to try to extend the life of my cat (who is already getting up there in years) any further than what has been done. What I'm working on right now is mainly comfort and QUALITY life. I'm willing to bring him in periodically for the kidney functions and keep him on this inexpensive medication which works within my budget and the renal diet... NOTHING more! No more x-rays, hospital stays, poking, needling, scanning, etc. Fortunately, my cat has been responding wonderfully to the medications he was released on. He's acting like he's years younger than he is, playing, begging for food, cuddling, and even singing love songs (without success) to try to impress my female cat (she's not impressed). He enjoys the new food also.

My cat gets extremely worked up when traveling, usually urinating the crate at about 5 minutes and then pooping the crate anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes while being in the car. Therefore, I decided to take him to the vet nearest to my house to establish care upon discharge from emergency. This place wanted to readmit him, place him back on oxygen (the emergency had just weaned him off oxygen and he was now doing fine on room air), and run a whole series of tests that he had just had done. I told them to forget it, and he was able to follow up with the emergency clinic for a while after I explained this to them.

The 2nd nearest place to my home is Banfield. I was reluctant to bring him to any type of chain store, but I figured it was best to try to reduce his travel stress. When I called to schedule the appointment, I explained the situation and that all I needed was for him to be seen and to have his medications refilled. I showed up for my appointment on time. The vet did not. I waited about 15 to 20 minutes before the doctor finally came in. I then proceeded to explain the situation to the vet, who was like talking to a wall, and handed him the extensive hospital notes from the clinic.

After doing an exam which included looking at my cat's teeth/mouth, looking for fleas, listening to his heart, squeezing his belly, checking his ears, taking his temperature, etc., and then telling me how his chest sounds clear and he looks great (probably because he's been on the medications... duh! ), he refused to refill his meds - even though I had the papers from the emergency clinic stating that he should be on them long term - without going through a series of labs/tests to the tune of $259 (that's the number that I saw on the computer screen when I asked how much. It could be more or less. I was so furious at that point and the screen was quite far from me, but the first number in the price was definitely a 2, and I'm 99% sure the other 2 numbers were a 5 and a 9) on top of the cost of the exam ($40+).

I've had his kidney labs done already, and it did NOT cost anywhere near $259! At that point, I explained that I don't have the money right now (which I didn't), put my cat back in his crate while fighting back tears and the urge to tell him to piss off, and asked him for a note explaining his refusal to renew the medications so I could bring it to the pet emergency where they could hopefully renew his medications for me again. After waiting several minutes for his notes, I said screw it, paid for the exam, and left.

When I arrived home, I called my original vet who is located about 30 minutes away from my home. After explaining the situation, she informed me that it is not mandatory to have any tests done. However, by law, they have to do a hands-on examination of my pet before dispensing medications. I will be bringing my cat back to his original vet where I know that they will be looking out for him (like they always have) and NOT trying to take advantage of me. He will have his routine kidney labs done there (when he's due to have them), and when the time comes that he's not responding to treatment any longer, I know he'll be treated with kindness and compassion.

If being treated like a number, herded in like cattle, and having unnecessary overpriced tests run on your pet is what you're looking for, then Banfield is the place for you! If not, then please take your pet to a trusted local vet even if it's not convenient. IMO, this place is more concerned about getting the most money possible than it is about the well-being of the pets they're supposed to be caring for. It's all about customers... not patients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 18, 2014

I have a maltese who tends to need care more than most dogs so the plan is good for me. This past re-sign up, I felt very rushed. I was there to address aggression and that I was not Sure due to cost of care I could keep him. I had to make a quick decision and being 60 miles right now from my current home, just said sign me back up.

They barely had time with him, but racked up what would have cost over 300. Meaning sure I had so many days to cancel the policy, but then I would owe that amount of so called tests and things they did to him. This was the first time I questioned their concern for their customer’s wallet. So I will keep my dog as things have changed. However knowing the plan is not transferable... or able to be cancelled, I think I will not be joining again.

Original review: June 18, 2014

When I registered for the wellness plan, everything was fine, they were more than happy to get paid every month. When I lose my job, I called a month before my plan was up for renewal, explained my situation and requested to cancel my plan. This guy begged me to keep the plan for a month free of charge and to see by then if would have my finances together by then. He sent my free products and everything. I agreed to see where things would go. Within that free month, I took my dog to the hospital for a minor check up (If I was offered the plan I figured, why not use it, right?). Before that month was up, my situation has gotten worst, I called again and requested to NOT renew my plan, before I knew it, my account was charged and Banfield, said that my account was automatically renewed and I would need to pay a cancellation fee. I begged them to not renew my plan but they did what they wanted to do!! No one recalls my first conversation that I had with them.

With that being said, with no job I was unable to pay my bills and they sent my account to collections, which was added to my report. Now I'm stuck paying a bill that I begged not to have in the first place. The customer service reps are rude and have to respect or empathy for others. It would not have killed this company to follow my request.

Original review: June 18, 2014

My cat Bell is a pure breed British Short Hair. She was 6-month old and we signed a wellness plan with Banfield. After her second routine visit to Banfield, she developed this allergic reaction or some other disease with swollen paw, face, tummy and scratching herself constantly. After 2 visits, unnecessary x-rays and very rude assistants who couldn't even draw blood from her and they repeated said "strange" , "strange" and without any diagnosis we left with antibiotic (which wasn't appropriate for her age), meloxin and benadryl. She wasn't well and we took her to Emergency room in other medical center than to the specialist and after $1200.00, she is fine. If they couldn't treat her, employ incompetent people, why should I go back with my treasured animal to this facility? They think animals are disposable and as long as their bank accounts are supported, all is acceptable. I don't think so!!!! I wonder if any lawsuit going on in Florida against them.

Original review: June 17, 2014

Banfield Hospital almost killed my dog. She is a one year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was showing signs of meningitis. I'm a registered nurse. I know what those signs are: pain in the neck upon movement of the neck. I took her to Banfield. My hunch was not even considered. She was tested and retested, x-rayed, medicated with expensive drugs and misdiagnosed for several months. Thousands of dollars later, her pain increased. I signed a contract for the wellness program, thinking it would help me pay the bills that incurred. Over the course of three months, her conditioned worsened.

At one point a vet at Banfield told me she didn't know what to do for my dog - take her home and let her die. My dog had painful muscle spasms that involved her entire body. I couldn't take it anymore. On what I thought was her last ride, my husband and I put her in the car. She cried out in pain. We cried out in pain. As a last ditch effort, we took her to another vet. As soon as this vet saw her, she said my dog had sterile meningitis - no tests needed. A first year vet should have been able to tell what the problem was. My dog was put on simple steroids. She became immediately better. And now I'm stuck with $500 worth of wellness plan contract they won't let me get out of, not even if my dog died or I transferred ownership. I will never go into another petsmart and will tell everyone about this rip off. They take advantage of people with sick dogs. Banfield is running a scam.

Original review: June 16, 2014

Took my dog in for his shots and the person who they called a nurse...she is not..shes a vet tech...poked her self with the needle. There was blood everywhere. She left the room and sent another nurse in to do it. He was traumatized. I have never gotten out of there under 200 dollars. How is that a bargain. I immediately called the 800 number and said I wanted to quit them. What did they do, they sent me to collections for 244.55 dollars. What a joke. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: June 15, 2014

I am writing today to describe my dismay of the incompetent treatment of my beloved dog, Marley. Marley is a six-year-old boxer who underwent surgery on May 26th to remove a mass cell tumor on his upper left leg. Dr. ** of Banfield hospital at Pembroke Pines performed the surgery. Complications started almost immediately, and I believe that Marley suffered needlessly because of, in my opinion, unqualified care. My concerns are numerous, and I will attempt to itemize them in a factual and brief format:

1) Dr. ** did not consult with me post surgery. Instead, I was met by an assistant who simply handed me medications. I was shocked at Marley's condition and expressed my concern over his bleeding incision. Rather than be offered help, I had to take the initiative and request help with cleaning the surgery site. In hindsight, given the next 48 hours, it is my heart-felt belief that Marley should have been kept at the hospital for care and comfort. Furthermore, I was not given any post-surgical care or advice.

2) I had to consult with Hollywood Animal Hospital late in the evening because of his constant bleeding and whimpering. Unless I wanted to incur fees for emergency treatment, I had to wait until morning to take Marley back to Banfield. They were helpful, however, in suggesting an ice pack for Marley to slow the bleeding. I wondered why that would not have been a discharge suggestion from Banfield.

3) Dr. ** did meet me the next morning, explaining that draining, pain, and the black areas forming (she called that bruising) was normal. I was very concerned with the appearance of the incision. She explained she needed to be aggressive with removal to get larger margins and not leave any mass cells. More meds were prescribed. Thursday afternoon, I called in with more concern later and Dr. ** never returned my call.

4) It seemed that Marley was improving, though the black areas were dramatically worsening. I took Dr. ** at her word regarding that being normal bruising, and planned to discuss it further at our June 4th follow up visit.

5) Dr. ** was not available for the June 4th appointment (she was 'sent home'? curious description). Dr. ** examined Marley and had the unfortunate duty to inform me that Marley was not healing properly, that the so called 'bruising' was decaying skin likely caused by mass cells left behind, and that the incision had dehisced. It occurred to me that perhaps Dr. ** being 'sent home' was with reason, but if that reason was because of the errors on Marley, I find it morally reprehensible and cowardly that the person responsible was not being held accountable.

6) I was very emotional and shocked. Rather than take me to a private area to discuss Marley, Dr. ** continued her assessment in the waiting room with other patients witnessing my discomfort and dismay. I found the disregard for my privacy to be an equivalent to Dr. ** lack of empathy.

7) Dr. ** discussed a special treatment option (cold laser therapy) that can only be conducted at a particular animal hospital, and when asked by me otherwise, she offered no additional help or treatment options. She advised me to put Marley on oral and ointment antibiotics (an additional $185!) While I'm sure she didn't mean it, I sort of took that like a "kick her while she's down" type tactic. I later learned that suggestion was down right greedy and opportunistic as a prescription for Ciprofloxacin is FREE when filled at the neighborhood grocery Publix, and that is common knowledge!

At this point, my experience with Pembroke Pines was so horrible, I couldn't imagine that trust in them could be restored and I sought additional medical advice from Dr. ** at Hollywood Animal Hospital. I was advised that the dehiscence and decaying was caused by the tumor metastasizing from mass cells (cancer) that were not removed during surgery (though please refer to bullet point 3 where Dr. ** explained she took larger margins so as not to leave any mass cells).

Marley has required a lengthy and expensive hospital stay (thus far totaling $1941.95), where sedation is required to debride and flush his wound daily and special wet to dry bandaging is necessary. Please note that this treatment and care was never offered at Banfield. I visit Marley daily and I am convinced he is lovingly cared for and seems to be mending enough for a second surgery to close his wound. There is still concern of mass cells remaining and a recurrence of dehiscence. And this is a new item to add to my growing list of frustrations: these risks/potential complications were not fully discussed with me prior to the surgery as perhaps I would have made different decisions. INFORMATION IS POWER AND DENYING ME CRITICAL INFORMATION IN DECIDING WHAT IS BEST FOR MY BELOVED DOG MARLEY WAS A SERIOUS ERROR BY DR. **. My love for Marley supersedes cash out flow, but ALL decisions going forward have to be prudent, moral, and in the best interests of Marley's quality of life.

In summary, it is important that Banfield corporate offices understand that Pembroke Pines fails dismally in meeting the fundamental expectations of care such as full disclosure, experienced and skilled medical personnel, and empathetic communication. Shame on me for not researching the Better Business Bureau and other forums logging complaints against the Banfield system of pet care or I don't believe I would have ever trusted them with my pet family. I can assure you I will spread my story often and widely in my community, and I sincerely hope that Banfield reviews best practices of its facilities and surveys its customers after any treatment to gain insights of obvious weaknesses before another family suffers the same experience as Marley and me.

Original review: June 12, 2014

I had decided to try out Banfield after receiving a kitten from a friend. Price-wise it seemed like a good idea considering my kitten would need multiple vaccinations as well as neutering. Everything seemed fine up until the day of his neutering I received a phone call about two hours after dropping him off. I was told my kitten was being very aggressive and in order to do the procedure they would need my permission to give him sedative, and oh by the way that will be an extra $30. I wasn't happy with this considering my kitten has #1: never been aggressive with ANYONE and #2: I wasn't given another choice it was either go with the sedative or my kitten wouldn't be neutered. So I said that was fine, after all he needed this done.

Another two hours later I receive a call saying the procedure went fine but they would like to keep him for a while because of the extra sedation he was given. This of course made sense to me so I said fine and went to pick him up about four hours later. The MINUTE he was brought out to me I could smell urine. The smell was so intense the only way someone could miss this would be if they happen to have a stuffed nose or that they truly did not care to check and see where it was coming from. So I bent my head in order to look in his cage and what I saw could only be described as neglect and abuse.

My kitten was SOAKED in what I assume was his own urine. He was shaking violently and hissing at ME!!! This was the first time my kitten has EVER hissed at me. I told the woman who brought him out that he was drenched in his own urine and that I was NOT happy. The woman told me she would go get a nurse.... a nurse NEVER came out to check on him. I had to ask for a towel in order to try and soak up some of the urine, a towel was never offered. My kitten was so traumatized he wouldn't even let ME touch him. THIS WAS NOT MY KITTEN. My kitten, for the past year, would purr none stop and cuddle with me on the couch like a dog! To see my loving kitten in such distress infuriated me!

I had to unbolt the cage in order to get him out and wrap a towel around him. The manager was out at this time asking me what he could do to help. Unfortunately, nothing could be done at this point. He cleaned the cage out for me which was nice; however, all he could do was stand there and defend his staff who was very clearly in the wrong. He told me that due to the fact that my kitten was so aggressive it made it hard for them to care for my kitten. This is a completely unacceptable excuse for me. If in fact my kitten was this difficult why didn't anyone contact me regarding this issue?? The manager could not answer this question for me but kept insisting that his staff was very professional. So is this how they treat every aggressive animal??

These "professionals" decided the best way to treat a scared animal is to leave him in a cage for hours sitting in his own urine with an open WOUND no less!!! I left infuriated without paying the remainder of my bill which I want to was a little over $60 considering my pet plan already covered the surgery. I received a phone call an hour and a half later politely asking me to come back and pay the rest of my bill or they would send it to collections!!!!! AMAZING!!! I then received another phone call a half hour after the threatening call to tell me that they decided they would give me free dry shampoo in order to help me clean my pet. Well isn't that nice...... An offer I did not take them up on.

To add insult to injury, I had to leave my kitten in his cage and hose him down in my shower in hopes to try and get as much of the urine off of him. Unfortunately, he was SO drenched in urine that a dry shampoo would not have helped at this time. The water did help a lot but the fact that I had to further traumatize my kitten in this way was awful! I couldn't do too much as he was freaking out inside of his cage and I was afraid he would reopen his wound from surgery. Which of course means that my apartment now smells like cat urine.

For the first two days after this incident my kitten would jump at every little noise I made. This is not normal behavior for him. He would also run and hide every time I opened the door. Before this incident I had to squeeze out of my front door because he would try to run out. Which is the whole reason I decided to get him neutered.... what a HUGE mistake!

This happened exactly four days ago. I have contacted the corporate office with my complaint and was reassured that someone would contact me within 72 hours... I have yet to receive a phone call. I will not stop until someone is held accountable for the abuse and neglect of my pet.

Original review: June 8, 2014

Charged me for x-rays and pills for pain, even the vet could not figured out why he was shaking. I took my dog to another vet and my dog got pancreatitis. All they want is the money. Bad experience and I cannot cancel the insurance.

Original review: June 7, 2014

Signed up for Special Care Plan which was to include dental cleaning. $400 later I'm told they need to repeat the same procedure for an additional $300?? Total rip-off!! They claim to save you money upfront but get you in the end!

Original review: June 5, 2014

I took my 8-year-old dog in because he was shaking his head. I was told he had an ear infection in his left ear but was given Remicin ointment and was told to use it in both ears twice a day. I noticed he seemed to not be hearing as well as normal so I took him back in. The doctor told me he couldn't hear because the ointment was clogging his ears and that when it worked its way out he would be fine. A month later, I noticed that when it thundered he didn't flinch. I took him back and the doctor that saw him that day was puzzled and took him in the back for another doctor to check him out.

When she brought him back, I was told that in rare instances the medication could cause chemical deafness. I was never told this could happen or I wouldn't have used it. Now my poor baby who is mostly blind is now totally deaf and depressed. I called the company that makes the medication and was told that it states right in the drug's literature that if hearing loss occurs, the dog's ears should be immediately flushed out. I called and asked to speak to the chief vet in charge who happened to be the one that prescribed it. I told her I was terribly upset and also asked: 1) Why wasn't I informed this could happen; 2) If she knew this was a possibility why she treated both ears and 3) Why his ears weren't flushed out when I brought him back when he couldn't hear. All I got from her was, "I am sorry." Now I have a sweet dog that can't see or hear who is very depressed and just wants to hide in his crate. I am heartbroken and feel this was total negligence on their part and furious that they don't care.

Original review: June 5, 2014

We brought our dog to get neutered at Banfield Pet Hospital in Rockaway, NJ. After the surgery we noticed the stitches were coming loose and took him in again as an emergency the following morning. The vet stapled the part that was open and we went home only for the same thing in a different spot to happen again. When we brought our puppy back, we were told he needed a second surgery to correct the first one and that we would have to pay for the entire thing. After the second surgery, a day later same thing happened again. When we brought him back the fourth time we were told we needed a THIRD surgery to correct the stitching. At this point we took him to another vet who successfully redid the stitching and it was only then that our puppy began to heal. In addition, the new vet noticed the wound had become severely infected with Pseudomonas.

After researching that specific bacteria I discovered that the most common cause is from unsanitary medical devices. Banfield was suppose to also retrieve our puppy's second testicle that had not dropped and claimed that it couldn't be found. Their suggestion was to wait until after he healed, do an ultrasound which we would have to pay for and if they found it, perform another surgery. The new vet told us he had no problem finding the second testicle and that it was hard to miss. After our experiences we tried countless times to try and cancel our wellness plan we have started for our puppy and also a plan we started for our second puppy. The second puppy had only gone for one visit to Banfield and during that visit, we complained that she had a foul odor coming from her and she had severe diarrhea. We were told this was normal for a puppy especially if they were getting used to food.

We also took our second puppy to the new vet where a parasite that had been missed by Banfield was discovered. We were told that it was Giardia and without treatment, she could have died, especially since she was already underweight, most likely due to the parasite. After all of our trouble, we had been charged well over $1000 extra and now they are refusing to cancel our plans. Banfield also continues to bill us for services they claim still need to be paid for that were not covered by our plan since we put a stop payment on our account through the bank.

We will not be paying them a dollar more. Both of our pets were mistreated, suffered and we could have lost one or both due to their negligence. We have recently received a final notice warning that our account is going to be sent to collections. We have contacted multiple managers and supervisors only to be told that their decision to still hold us responsible for those charges and not cancel our plans is final and nothing can be done. Banfield seemingly could care less about the care of pets and are only concerned with charging the maximum they can get out of you no matter what the circumstances. They put our family and our pets through a lot of suffering and we tried many times to resolve this. They still refuse and we will now be seeking legal action to prevent my husband's credit from being ruined.

Original review: May 31, 2014

Our dog was on enrolled in the Optimum Wellness Plan through Feb 2014. We did not renew the plan because of a particular experience that we had. In November 2013, while we were still enrolled in the plan, our dog Buddy had an accident where he injured his legs. This happened on a Sunday. When my husband took Buddy to Banfield, the receptionist said that they could not see pets in emergency situations and to take him to the local emergency animal hospital. Funny, because the sign behind the desk says that animals with emergencies would be seen first. She also said that there was only one vet working that day so he would not be able to see him.

When we signed up for this plan, we were sold a bill of goods that our pet would receive VIP treatment there in addition to receiving discounts on services. Well, that didn't happen. We had to go to another hospital where we had to pay a hefty office visit that we supposedly would not have had to pay under the plan as well as a lot for X-rays. The Emergency hospital did little more than what Banfield could have done & we spent well over $700 in the process. I will not recommend this plan or hospital because of this.

Original review: May 31, 2014

Stay away from Banfield!! They caused my cat Calvin to suffer and die sooner than he should of due to their complete misdiagnosis of him. The fluids I was prescribed to give him at home only made his condition worse and now I have to forever live with the fact that I made him suffer more due to their malpractice. When I submitted a complaint, NO ONE from Corporate HQ had the decency to even respond which is despicable! Instead the Dr. who misdiagnosed him has contacted me 3 times since then to "discuss things". There is nothing to discuss except her termination. He went to the Banfield in Woodbridge VA and was seen by Dr. **.

My cat Calvin was 18 years old and not eating so I took him to the Banfield in Woodbridge VA on May 6 2014. He was seen by Dr. ** who provided him care after that. She did blood work and told me his kidney values were elevated but she did not say how high or how serious it was. She specifically told me he was not cancerous after the blood work. I proceeded to give him fluids at home every other day. He completely stopped eating so I took him back on May 12 and they tried to put an IV in him but failed saying he kept going into respiratory failure and was turning purple. They sent me home with prescription wet food and I fed him via a syringe.

On May 26 I noticed he was severely retaining fluids and was having difficulty breathing (he was breathing heavily before but it was not a concern to Dr. **). On May 28 he had still not urinated and was not moving so I took him to the Woodbridge Animal hospital. They called Banfield TWICE to obtain Calvin's lab work and Dr. notes but Banfield said they never had me as a customer. I had to personally call Banfield and have Calvin's paperwork sent. Highly suspicious behavior as I was there multiple times in the past few weeks, perhaps they were trying to protect themselves rather than help my dying cat.

Woodbridge Animal Hospital did blood work and took an X-ray and the vet there informed me he was not in kidney failure, and that his kidney values were within the normal range. Instead they found a large mass in his chest. They drained the fluids from his chest and took another X-ray where the mass was confirmed and they believed it to be cancer. They tried to get him to breathe normally on his own but he went into respiratory failure again and I rushed there right before he died.

I find the inadequacies and incompetency in Banfield and in Dr. ** to be COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. My pet died because of complete failure from Dr. ** in diagnosing him properly. While he may have already been terminally ill, the fluids I was giving him made his condition even worse and were suffocating him, therefore he died sooner than he should have. If he had been diagnosed properly, I could have more time with my precious friend and he would have suffered far less. I will NEVER use Banfield again and I will advise everyone I know not to either. I lost my best friend and wasted $800 on a wrong diagnosis due to their malpractice and complete incompetence. I demand action be taken by this corporation for this injustice or I will pursue further legal action.

Original review: May 24, 2014

I took my daughter's cat there on May 13. They told us she had a tooth infection and that the tooth needed to be removed. Took her the next week to have it removed by our family vet where he was amazed to see that she had serious mouth cancer. They at Banfield, never opened her mouth. And they are not wanting to refund her money. Our vet said this was a case of malpractice. It was unmistakable.

Original review: May 24, 2014

My pup Leaped out of a moving vehicle, passenger side, causing a Distal Femoral Epiphyseal Fracture on the second day of the month. Taken him to Banfield (Petsmart) on the Third. Dr. had X-rayed and wrapped, below the break and also not noticing his hip. Causing more weight on the leg, without splinting, which I feel would have set the bone more and a $512.00 cost. Mentioned to have surgery. Still not noticing the hip. Took him back in on 19th, changed wrap costing another $200. Second option from other Veterinarian clinics, costing another $100.00. Both come Referred Very skilled. Say the wrong wrap and Length of time pass. From not having splint on the leg and growth plate grows fast. Now to see what happens, but More than likely AMPUTATION is the only cure. After not having a Dog for seven years, because of city park with gopher bait, causing loss of 8-yr-old dog. Thanks BANFIELD, I should have Looked here First.

Original review: May 21, 2014

I had Banfield Wellness Plan which renewed every November and for which I had a charge taken off my credit card each month. On Dec. 15, 2013, my dog had to be put down. I called to cancel the Wellness Plan and was told I had to pay the whole year of payments, another 11 payments. I was angry, argued and they said as a customer courtesy they would only charge me 6 months and the last payment would be April 2014. Then today I see ANOTHER payment was taken out on May 20! I called and they told me I was told in December that there would be 6 MORE payments. I was very angry, argued that they can't change their story and that's not what I was told on the phone in December. I wish I had gotten it in writing, which of course wasn't going to happen! I spoke with a Supervisor who said I was mistaken and yes I had to pay an additional 6 months! I told her I was reporting this to the NYS Insurance Frauds Bureau (which I am doing now) and said they must be really hard up to demand this one extra payment, and I hung up. They really get you by like telling you your dog needs 2 physical appointments a year. I have a new dog now and go to a private Vet who told me she only needs once a year. So I have really been taken for a ride for 9 years!

Original review: May 16, 2014

I, in November 2013, became behind in my payments. I asked for assistance to get it caught up, they said it was not their policy to help people to get caught up. After that, I refused to answer or return their calls. I kept making payments and as of next week 5/19/2014, it will be paid off in full. Now that is paid off, none of my 3 cats can finish using their wellness plan as they canceled them... But they took the money. I won't ever go back to them but I will miss my two favorite vets. I guess I really am disappointed that I was trying to pay it but was treated by the most ruthless and rude people. At this point, all I want is their accounts reinstated so I can use the program and then call it quits after it runs out.

Original review: May 13, 2014

We took our puppy to the Banfield Pet hospital in Pinole, CA. The first thing out of their mouths was what wellness plan I should sign up for. That should have been a flag. They should have asked why were we there or what reason we are there. We told them about the deworming and they were still trying to push the wellness plan because it would take several office visits and the costs. So after we set the appointment, they checked out the puppy and said a deworming was needed. I also asked what is the best for fleas without using powder or flea collars. I also asked about the product advantage. The quack there, I will not call them doctors, discouraged anything but what they sold. They pushed Trifrexis 5, that would have been fine in normal circumstances but you are not supposed to give this to puppies younger than 8 weeks old.

We were not given consultation on it and they knew the puppy was 6 weeks old. We were not given any consultation of the effects of the deworming medication either. As far as Petsmart, we had the puppy with us and they sold us products regardless of the age of the puppy. Our puppy had severe affects due to the Triyfrexis 5 and his age. Summary of our experience with Petsmart and Banfield Pet Hospital... All they care is about selling their products. They could care less about the customer. I will never ever shop there again and will discourage family and friends from shopping there.

Original review: May 9, 2014

I am writing to inform you of my experience at your location at 2851 Eastland Center Drive West Covina, CA; 91791 Phone Number (626) 732-2852. I'm the owner of two dogs a Bichon Frise, Coco, and a Morkie, Honey. On November 3, 2013, I joined to Banfield Pet wellness plan for both of my dogs. The charge of my credit card was for $192.84. Since this date I have been making the monthly payments of $79.90 all charged on my credit card every 5th or 6th of the month. My dogs got vaccinated, and they got the dental cleaning that comes with the plan.

On April 18, 2014 at: 2: 27 p.m. I personally brought Honey for a medical consultation because she had not eaten for two days and had vomited once a little bit of green. After waiting about ten minutes, we were called into an examination room, waited another ten minutes. Then a tech came in, took her temperature. After that Veterinarian ** examined her, ordered some blood tests, together with abdomen X-rays and she recommended fluid therapy because apparently Honey was dehydrated. The cost was $374.23 But on my credit card they charged me an additional amount of $11.05

At about 5:00 p.m., I received a call asking me to go immediately because Vet. ** needs to talk to me to authorize more proceedings. It took me about ten minutes to arrive and Vet. ** told me that they have not found what was wrong with my dog, That it could be anything from diabetes to infections, intoxication, or that she has eaten something or other. She could not give me an exact diagnostic. She told me Honey was dehydrated and she prescribed fluid therapy. That was at 5:10 pm. She also said that the abdominal was a little bit abnormal, the liver looks to small, but that there was nothing obstructive. She told me that I had to leave her and to pick her up before 8:00 pm and to take her to another hospital as an emergency because she might need insulin, antibiotics or therapy fluid administered overnight.

I refused to take her to another hospital. Then she says I could take her back next morning for a follow up. She told me that she could not give her any medicine because she did not know exactly what was definitively wrong with her. I just got a can of food for her. She told me she have received the fluid therapy and that it was going to be subtracted from my bill, but the fluid catheter was inserted on Honey overnight for no reason whatsoever. She only mentions they will administer the fluids the next day.

At 7:48 p.m., I arrived to pick up Honey. Both two young girls were ready to go and they had her over the counter shaking. When I asked what's wrong with her, one of the girls told me that probably she was in shock. Honey couldn't walk - I have to carry. I asked what kind of medicine she received to be like she has been sedated and the answer was, "We didn't give her anything." I asked about the antibiotics and she said, "We didn't give her any medicine today." I asked the girl who is in charge of the billing about the decrease on my bill because Honey didn't receive the fluid therapy. She said vet. ** didn't mention anything so she couldn't do anything about it. I have to call her on Tuesday when she come back to work.

Next day, April 19, about 12:00 p.m., I brought her again for a follow up. Dr. ** saw her, and after making review of Vet ** Notes, he explained me Honey probably need hospitalization, that she probably had diabetes and they need to be hospitalized and in observation. I left Honey with him to pick her up at 8:00 pm. He never told me anything else. When I went to pick her up again, he said he has been calling me to authorize the insulin treatment, and that he could not reach me for an authorization. He said that I needed to take her again to an emergency facility because they do not have overnight service. I refused again because he wanted me to get her Insulin because they both, Vet. ** and him, believed she was suffering of diabetes and for this reason she wasn't eating and her organs could collapse if left untreated. He mention that Honey received Fluid therapy. He told me to bring her back on Tuesday. I asked again about what kind of antibiotics she got and he also told me she didn't received any, because they both agree she was diabetic. For this visit, it was another charge for $105.78.

I was feeding by mouth and administering Pedialyte to my dog, every hour but she was not doing well. I noticed she has a whistle on her chest and was lethargic, so on Monday, April 21, 2013, I decided to go instead to another pet hospital: North Figueroa Animal Hospital located at 5550 North Figueroa Street Los Angeles, CA. 90042 (323) 258-8068. The Veterinarian there asked for the records and the copy of the x-results. Your hospital faxed the results after the veterinarian asked because when I called the receptionist said she was busy but not the x-rays and they will cost me five dollars, each copy of the X-rays, and that I needed to pick them up at the hospital. So I picked them up at night but It was an overwhelming time.

I guess the worst part is that it seems like you are really more concerned about making money than a good relationship with your customers, or keeping our pet healthy. First, the front desk girl told me that I need to pay $4.99 for each picture on the X-rays result. I was so upset I claimed that I have the right to have them since I had paid for them. The girl went to the back office and another lady came explaining that it was very expensive to make a CD with the pictures of the X-rays. What a ridiculous explanation. Finally the first girl gave me all the records with the CD included without any charge. The results shocked me because the blood test shows the glucose level on Honey's blood was normal so there is no way she was suffering of diabetes. You can verified this on page No.4 of the Medical summary report. At the same time Honey's Urine Occult blood was positive and Urine Bacteria was positive which means she was suffering of a bacterial infection.

There are some notes that Vet ** wrote that are not true because they never were discussed with me. For example: she wrote explained Azotemia possible due dehydration and ketones due starvation. At the same there is a note in saying gave 120 mg of Cefalozin IV slow (Cefazolin is used in both dogs and cats to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including skin infections, wound infections, bone infections, pneumonia and bladder infections). Why is this discrepancy when I was told that they didn't give any antibiotics at all the first day and the second day my dog only received fluid therapy and why there were not follow up until next Tuesday if you as Vet. Know my dog has a bacterial infection? Why you didn't discuss this with me when you always told me that she could be sick of diabetes or anything but why, you only were interested in giving her diabetes treatment? It's because I refused to pay for that treatment or what? I paid $480.01 for giving me a wrong diagnostic and almost kill my dog for no proper care!!!!

Veterinarian ** at North Figueroa Animal Hospital ordered another blood test to verified his diagnostics because he wanted to know what kind of treatment she received for the last days. On Tuesday, April 22, I went back to the North Figueroa and they did another blood test and it came with abnormalities with serious urine, hormonal and chest problems. She was given four medications and antibiotics. She could have renal failure problems because she has not had proper attention. Fortunately the glucose level were normal as the first blood test performed on your hospital, basically Diabetes was never an issue on Honey sickness.

Honey received Injection with antibiotics and real fluid therapy because I was present when it was administered directly on her neck. She also was given Amoxicillin 100 mg tablets for 10 days Twice, Temaril P Tablets half tablets for 7 days, Thyro-Tabs 0.1 mg for 30 days and RENAVAST to help promote healthy kidney on Honey. Everything with a total of $272.00.

I am extremely grateful/thankful with North Figueroa Animal Hospital and Beach and their team but beyond disappointed with the way the whole ordeal was handle by your hospital and your team. My expectations were always that my two dogs would receive proper care, yet I almost lost my dog do to your unacceptable and neglected care. I am not asking for monetary compensation. Yet I am requesting any and all my obligation with your facility stop. I no longer want to participate in your program. I am requesting the definite termination of my care plan with your company. My other dog had a appointment for April 29, for his annual check which obviously after this unpleasant and expensive experience I will not take my dogs back never again. Unfortunately I just found out the reviews of your customers and I am really agree with the one who said, "I wish I could expose Banfield to the government, so other people do not get hurt, and their animals get proper care when needed." I could add there is always time to do that. With no more ado, I am soliciting a prompt response to my request.

Original review: May 8, 2014

My Cat was licking her fur off her body, no lesions, no scabs, just excessive grooming. At first look the Vet told me I needed the wellness plan otherwise it was going to cost me a fortune. She made me think the plan would cover all the testing, it did not. Long story short, 4 months of testing over $500 plus I purchased the monthly plan. The Vet, Dr. **, who was recommended to me and sold me the plan, quit a week later, and that was the only reason I joined. They would not let me out of the contract. Furthermore all the tests were negative, which I knew. I had told them 4 months ago that I thought it was allergies, now $500 they agreed and ordered me a prescription of Atopica for $112, and told me it would last a month, and that she would be on it for life. I went online and found the exact same name brand same size bottle on 1-800-Pet-Meds for $44.00. I am going through personal bankruptcy, told them this at the time, and this was a feral cat that I rescued. I just want to scream!!!!!! DO NOT USE BANFIELD. I don't event think they are real vets. They do not know what they are doing and are just looking to bilk you based on personal attachment to your pet......PLEASE.... BEWARE!!!!!

Original review: May 6, 2014

I enrolled in the dog plan at $25/month. The second visit, my dog needed antibiotics and eye drops for an infection. I was told the antibiotics were $38. I asked if that included the 10% off. The tech said yes. He added, "That's the lowest price anywhere." The drops were even more costly, over $40. When the tech left, I called my local Kroger pharmacy to see what they charged. The answer: $4 for the antibiotics and $4 for the drops! When I told the tech I wanted written prescriptions, and not to buy from Banfield, he was miffed and rude. I had to wait an extra 30 minutes while he "conversed" with the vet, who never came back into the room. Finally, the vet arrived with the 2 prescriptions. I wish I'd never signed up for such a plan. Everything is extra and overpriced.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I recently had to put my dog to sleep. Well actually my daughter took my dog into Banfield to put it to sleep. I just couldn't do it. Anyway, she brought my dog in, and they told her how much. Then she paid for their services. 30 days later I get a call from a collection agency saying I owe Banfield $122.00 for the service. I called Banfield and they said they didn't charge me correctly and I still owe $122.00. Banfield never sent me a bill which they admitted to, but they would never say they made a mistake.

I told the collection agency the situation and they told me I needed to contact Banfield (Corporate Office) about the problem, which I did. The corporate office said they couldn't tell me anything and I would need to talk to the store. Alright, it's been another month and still getting the run around. I will pay the amount but I want them to admit that they made 2 mistakes: 1. didn't even bother to send a bill; and 2. sending me to a credit collection company when I didn't even know I still owed money. What should I do? Should I get a lawyer?

Original review: April 30, 2014

I live in Henderson, Nevada and took my 1-year-old Pug to Banfield for the past year. They would praise me on how healthy he was and looked. He is not overweight. I keep him under 21 pounds. Until a few weeks ago Banfield did an annual check-up. One of the Vets called me back saying my pug is not retaining protein and need to come back immediately for more testing. They wanted another $150 for blood work. I could tell in the Vet voice this was a beginning of a long and expensive process. I went ahead and scheduled another testing with Banfield for my pug. Then my daughter told me about Banfield complaints so I went online to read reviews and I'm disgusted.

I called Banfield back and told the Vet I needed to reschedule the testing and will call them back. I started researching Vet offices in my area and located Green Valley Vet Hospital with 5 stars and great reviews. I took the $150 I was going to give to Banfield to retest and paid the new vet hospital. This past Monday, April 27th, Green Valley hospital conducted an annual test to see what they came up with. The vet called me this morning, April 29th, with my pug's results. His test results were normal and my pug is healthy. What a rip off Banfield is... Taking advantage of people!!! I will be going to Banfield and canceling my monthly plan. Petsmart should disassociate themselves with Banfield... DO NOT SIGN UP FOR BANFIELD PET PLAN OR TAKE YOUR PET THERE... I really thought people were just making things up but I experience first hand...

Original review: April 30, 2014

On March 27, 2014, my husband, son and me went to the medical facility Banfield has at the PetSmart location at 14025 SW 88 Street, Miami, Florida 33186-3186, Phone # (305) 388-1480 with an injured pet dog named Max. He had a puncture on his back quarter legs inflicted by another house pet dog. The outside lesion was minimal but one of the blue-dressed man at the facility told us as a consequence of the bite his intestines were out. They said at first their facility was not properly equipped to perform surgery but that opinion changed several times. They said payment of $732.31 had to clear before giving us the dog to transport him to other facility.

After payment, they kept the dog for one more hour and bled internally. They argue the dog had to be stable before releasing for surgery. No treatment for about 4 or 5 hours until he died. When my husband and son went into the facility, blood was all over the floor, inside the cage and on the Lab coat of one of the attendants. A cruel and unusual punishment for a sweet little dog and his family. That facility should be close or all their personnel removed.

Original review: April 30, 2014

My name is Sean and I am writing to inform you of my experience at your location in Braintree, Massachusetts. On Friday April 25, 2014 at 5:30pm I brought my ten month old Siberian husky to see the vet for his 9 month routine heartworm test. We entered the building and my dog was acting as he normally does. He was hyper and excited. After waiting about thirty minutes we were called into a room and waited another ten minutes. From there a tech came in and took his temperature with which he struggled a bit, as I expect any dog would. Marissa, the tech, then took my dog Peter to the back room to draw blood. When he returned he was being dragged by the thin orange lead and not guided back by his own collar and leash. He was panting very hard and would not walk to the center of the room.

The vet then came in and performed his exam as much as he could. This was very unusual, as my dog has never shown disinterest in the vet. We left with deworming medicine and were on our way. At home Peter would not go out and became incontinent. He is fully housebroken and we figured he was just very stressed out from going to the vet. The following Saturday I was home all day and Peter spent the day lying on the couch. This was very unusual since my dog goes on five-mile runs three days a week and is a typical super crazy husky. I decided to leave him alone still thinking the vet was stressful. What became extraordinarily alarming was when I found out his neck was hurt.

Sunday morning when Peter woke up and went downstairs to ring the bells by the door I reached for his collar to put the leash on. He winced and cried in pain and urinated himself right in front of me. He was in pain and would not let my girlfriend or I go near him. Once he calmed down and went to lie on the couch we closely inspected him and also saw he had glass in his front right paw. Thursday night I put mushers cream on his paws and they were fine. Peter spent the whole weekend after leaving the vet at home, inside. We called Banfield in Braintree immediately and explained to them that he was hurt Friday and we needed to speak to someone. This was at 10:58am on Sunday morning. The receptionist, whose name I do not have, told us that it is impossible to reach a manager and that there was only an on call vet that day.

She also said that no glass is at Banfield. We were later told that there is some glass and even later told that no glass spill has been reported. This is one example of varying stories, thus creating our hesitancy and inability to trust the professional providers caring for our pet. Our entire experience was like this. It seemed everyone had something different to say and when we questioned them, they become very defensive and stopped interacting with us. This made everything very frustrating for us. Our goal was to go and get reassurance that our dog was ok, for someone to say sorry and help us. To our dismay none of these goals were met. The call ended and we called the VCA.

The VCA confirmed that we were right and that our dog's behavior following the vet was very abnormal. At 11:14am we received a call back and was told that the surgeon could see Peter in 30 minutes. We arrived in 30 minutes and a tech named Courtney took him out back. When she returned she said, "I know exactly what you are talking about. The glass is between his second and third pad, correct?" She then said the doctor was taking care of it and examining his neck. We were then called into a room and asked by the vet to remove his collar so he could examine his neck. We were shocked because we had just been told by the tech that the doctor examined his neck and that he was able to illicit pain on his left side.

We then wondered why he would not have taken the collar off or if he had even examined him out back. We were unable to remove his collar because the pain caused him to be very defensive. The Petsmart trainer was able to get the collar off without causing any bad behavior, unlike the vet. The vet then diagnosed Peter with neck issues and began telling us that it was an underlying issue that just happened to surface itself after his exam on Friday. The only possible underlying condition in the differential was IVDD, which is more common in older dogs and specific breeds and is not known to affect huskies. All the other differentials were related to trauma, ligament and muscle injury, which was the consensus of the VCA exam as well. The VCA believed IVDD was very unlikely.

In addition to telling us we were crazy to think Peter was hurt at Banfield, he said no glass was found, and that it was a lesion that they sanded down and he would need antibiotics. The vet said this lesion had been there a while; however, this was not noted on Peter’s exam on Friday. Also his temp was taken and told to us on Friday and was not documented. We were never offered antibiotics, told x-rays could not be done there and to our astonishment found that the vet documented us as refusing these options. Everyone there had no concern and could have cared less about helping us. This is insane. Especially since our dog showed signs of pain and behavior changes after being there on Friday.

The tech was then informed that the practice owner was on the phone. My girlfriend asked that she speak to him in the room. This was for good reason. More than once did staff have conflicting things to say to us and we were getting very uneasy with the differing stories. Also, all morning nobody wanted to talk to us, and we, at this point did not trust her to tell her boss the truth. It’s not hard to believe, seeing as we were told right off the bat that no sort of manager can be reached and that we could not be helped that day. The tech said, “No I don't have to do that for you” and hurriedly walked out the door. This instance is documented by Banfield in an extraordinarily misleading way and depicts us as threatening and hostile. Yes we were frustrated.

Our dog was brought to the vet and got hurt. We just wanted an apology and for some help and for our dog to be better. Mistakes happen. We have no clue what happens behind the doors of Banfield, but we trusted them and it was very disappointing to be treated the way we were. What is true in the documentation is my girlfriend rushing out the door nearly in tears talking about calling animal control. As I am writing this I am thinking of whom I can contact, licensing committees, veterinary schools, animal protection organizations, and so forth. This is how upset we are. My girlfriend then spoke on the phone with Dr. **. She thought he was clear, empathetic, and willing to help us get through this situation effectively. However we were told he would call us the next day and we never received a phone call.

Once the phone call ended the manager came in to speak with us and was very rude. She never gave us her name and talked in an authoritative tone. She said, “I’m not here to go over anything and your prescriptions are being made and you need to go to the VCA.” This is another instance where I am completely shocked as to how inaccurate it was documented. In her note she says she enters the room and the gentlemen swore at me. The note never says what would have made me curse and I sure hope that upper administration finds this strange. I did say this is ** after she said she is not here to go over anything. As I said that I stood up and said I need to leave. As I was leaving she began to yell down the hall at me as if she was kicking me out and I turned and said I was leaving you should have nothing else to say to me.

Her note fails to document everything in its entirety and is very misleading. At no time did she show any concern for my pet. My girlfriend was so upset that Banfield’s staff was saying our dog was a biter, but failed to mention this to us in any of our previous visits. She asked to see the notes. The manager started with our first visit, which showed he was perfectly friendly, but she needed to make a comment about how we chose to treat him. She has no license to give medical advice and should not have taken that time to criticize us. We spent just over a hundred dollars and our puppy got better in two days rather than their suggested nine hundred dollar treatment plan when we knew it was kennel cough. Finally, she got to his six-month visit and again there was no note of aggression or warning that our pet was dangerous.

I am disgusted that more than one staff member had the audacity to treat us like scum and tell us our dog is a monster when we were returning because he was hurt there. When my girlfriend asked for all the records to be printed out everyone who we had come in contact with us was out back and it took her 25 min. to print out the records. We were there for two and a half hours total and did not get to the VCA until 3pm. Poor dog couldn’t get any help until 3pm and his owners were treated very poorly after he was hurt there in the first place. It is possible that Peter getting hurt was a mistake, even though we saw how he was handled Friday, and we are normal considerate people that would have gladly taken an apology and prompt care and continued to be loyal customers.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information