2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I just got back from the Banfield in Superior. They have changed some staff and they are Superior...no pun intended. Stacey greeted us and our pooch and was extremely helpful. Josh **, a tech, came into the room. He was extremely articulate, and he just took charge. We felt very secure in what he was doing. Thank you. I have to say also, they had a new dr. when we were there before. I believe her name was **. I felt good about her also. We had been there about 1 year ago with a different dog. This time it was totally different...THANK YOU.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I had insurance on my dog for 9 years with Banfield. She died recently (I won't even get into how they didn't figure out what was wrong until it was too late). I call Banfield to cancel the insurance because my dog is dead, I have no use for the insurance anymore. At this point I was told since I renewed the insurance in January and my dog died in February I have to still pay the premium for the next TEN MONTHS. Even though I can't even use the services. The office gave me some explanation that really made no sense. So now I'm stuck paying over 40 dollars a month on pet insurance with no pet to use it on. Way to make a traumatic experience worse Banfield. I went with Banfield 10 years ago because I didn't know any better. If I ever get another dog I'm going to shop around for insurance and likely find a local vet clinic.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I was a customer for a decade. I would have 5 stars for Dr. ** and the staff at this location- they were really sweet to my beloved family member towards the end. I don't want anyone who cared about Bonzie to feel bad about the care they gave him - there was a couple people that were really good. Any other aspect of this company that I experienced was horrible trash. We stopped going to Banfield for years but had trouble cancelling our account after our bad experiences - they made it way easier to pay $35 a month than to cancel your account. The other vets were reprehensible people. They were critical of pet owners, and not understanding - making you feel like if you don't have $6,000 for surgery then you shouldn't own a pet.

In the end, my companion passed away in early February. We used an in-home service called "Compassionate Care" and they were VERY GOOD. I called Banfield to cancel my account and they told me I have to pay for the FULL YEAR because my account automatically renewed in January. You have to call a special number to cancel your account and it is horribly obvious how they are trained to get money out of grieving people. It's disgusting. Overall, there are a few good people that work here, but the system is designed for profit and as soon as you strip away the first layer of nice people in the vet's office, this business's practices are cold and vicious. I guarantee that the people in the corporate office do NOT CARE about animals or their owners.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

When signing up for the plan they state it is month to month. It is not.... it is a package that you pay for over time. If you want to cancel you have to pay them the balance on the contract. This is not explained when talking to the corporate sales person. In addition prices vary from location to location depending on what corporate thinks what the market will bear in individual “markets”. From what I have experienced their prices are much higher than even premium Non-Banfield clinics in the area. Very unhappy with their service and ethics.

David **

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I have been using the Banfield wellness plan for years. We acquire a male puppy. I knew would have be neutered, so I had placed in the plan. Covid 19 hit and they were not doing surgeries. Short version my dog never got neutered. They will honor the contract. Corporate says, "It's in contract. You have a year." The hospital says up Corporate. It's just poor business practice.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

My 17 year old dog started having seizures a year ago. 1 every other month and had gotten worse over time. We tried making an appointment at our reg Banfield office that we have been part of for 12 years. Two weeks out...hhmm ok we made an appoint at our second choice Banfield for that day which we were grateful for.

The doctor came in we explained what she was going through the seizures and trouble sleeping on her side and offered us a choice of a loading dose (faster absorption thus faster acting med) or just start her on seizure meds 2 x a day that may of taken a few weeks to absorb and start working. I asked the vet if there were any SIDE EFFECTS. (Nowhere is possibly where I went wrong and did not research the medicine myself which I usually do, I was assuming the doctor would give me all the information I needed to make a good decision for the Quality of Life for my dog, other people may not research the meds or procedures they depend on the doctor for that.)

The Vet told me that "No side effects. Just check her Liver in a few weeks to see if it's acting correctly." I asked how long would it take. She said "About 30 mins or so. We have to push it in slowly. It's strong medication." I said ok let's do the loading dose and I will be back in 30 min. expecting the same dog back I left. 10 min later I get a call. "Mr. ** we did the calculation wrong and it will be 3.5 hours..." My dog is 17 years old almost 18, gets nervous at vets and one of the qualifications of me doing this was not to have her wait in cage all day for them to admin the medicine.

The other qualification and this is huge is SIDE EFFECTS. The doctor telling me basically that there were no side effects was the factor in my decision to go forward. To continue my wife had to pick our dog up and when she came home our dog was wailing from the effects of the drugs...I was furious, did my research and found out that there was a 4-6 week break in period for the meds to level off, that she would have weak hind legs and need to be physically helped because she was so drugged up and groggy that she had trouble focusing and basically doing anything. These KNOW SIDE EFFECTS were not told to us at all. I had to find this out on my own.

The side effect were supposed to last for 2-4 days depending on the dog...7 days later my dog was still having full on Side Effects. We called the hospital asked for another Veterinarian. She immediately told us to lower the dosage we also asked if we could wean her almost completely off and that maybe something else was going on with her. Over the next 5 days we weaned her almost completely off the seizure med except a 1/4 a pill 2x a day which she excepted Kinda... and also had her looked at by the second vet due to the fact that our dog was having issues sleeping on her side.

When we took her in to have her looked at she told us that we have x-rays on our plan and we can see if anything else is going on...long story short she had a large mass on her spleen which was the culprit all along. We ended up have a home euthanasia within the next 2 days. The only saving grace was that our dog was off the debilitating drugs and she was awake, aware and walking around on her own with some pain. She was having a good last day. My point of all this was if we had the right information from the doctor if the 1st vet had checked our plan and done an x-ray giving us the right information about side effects we would never have put our dog thru this and possibly had a few more Good days wither possibly not..

I don't want to go on telling Banfield what Veterinarians should do. This review is self explanatory... For the past several years the quality of the care from Banfield has declined..maybe not enough vets for their work load....seems that way...Right now they are hit or miss whether you will get a Professional Vet or someone overworked who does not give you the correct info to make a Quality of Life Decision...For those reasons I do not recommend Banfield pet hospital. and if I could give them a negative score I would.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Due to their improper check ups my best friend is dying of cancer. They missed a large tumor that was rapidly growing in his last check up at the vet clinic in the Petsmart on Lemay Ferry. Now after having his first $2000 dollar surgery they want to do it again at $2400. The answers they give you are always different and it’s just a scam to get more and more money. My dog might have been saved if we had a proper vet doing a proper exam.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Took my Chow in on an emergency basis due to pain, stiffness, and difficulty ambulating, also for follow-up regarding a skin condition. The doctor diagnosed her with "Alopecia". She is a fool! No good.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I took my cat Bob into Banfield Animal hospital inside Petsmart to have his fur trimmed. Bob was an older, skittish, rescue cat that didn't like to be brushed. Needing him groomed we asked that the vet trim his hair at his next appointment. They agreed but ended up having to sedate him to shave his fur to remove any knots he had. After he was done and had woken up, we brought Bob home. We noticed he was a bit "off" but assumed it was from being sedated and he would come out of it, only he kept getting worse. We couldn't figure out what was wrong because at the time there was no obvious wound. (Bob was a black and white cat with black skin so it took a few hours to become obvious).

We ended up taking him to a 24 emergency vet after he kept declining and was in obvious pain. That's when we were told he had been severely burned by a heater. He was in shock and in immense pain. All of this because someone couldn't seem to keep an eye on a sedated animal next to a heater in their care. Vets have heaters inside recovery crates/kennels to help regulate body temp. Anyone working in this particular field should be aware of these heaters and the damage they can cause. All the staff had to do was make sure he didn't lay against or directly on the heater or, at the very least, that it wasn't hot enough to cause an injury.

When we called Banfield to follow up on the situation they refused to accept responsibility. I know I didn't burn my cat. We didn't have anything that would cause these burn marks in our home. We didn't come into contact with anything hot between leaving Banfield and returning home. He was fine except for some matted hair in places until I picked him up from Banfield's care. They had given Bob a lion cut, unfortunately for him, which made his skin even more susceptible to burns.

We had to have Bob put to sleep a few agonizing days later. The pain from an extensive burn covering the entire right side of his body was just too much and too unfair to ask him to suffer through.

Banfield, of course, still denies any wrongdoing. Obviously, we stopped taking any pets to Banfield for care, but since I signed up for the "care plans" before this incident, I am still paying them for killing my beloved grumpy cat, three years later. I don't mind paying my bills, I signed the agreement. That's my fault. The part that gets me the most is the utter lack of accountability or concern for the animal obviously they killed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Well this is the worst pet hospital I've ever used. I pay one in a month for pet care insurance in my name if old Chihuahua has seizures. I was told to bring her in each time she has a seizure. She had 1 at about 11:00 a.m. this morning and I called 9 different locations to try and get her an appointment and was told they could only see a certain amount of pets a day even though Mine was an emergency. Long story short I need up at emergency Vic clinic for my baby my baby to be seen.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information