3.7/5 (1138 ratings)

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 23, 2022

My 12 yo lab had severe diarrhea. I took him to Banfield off Woolbright in Boynton Beach Fl. The tech stated without any tests he has parvo. They tested him. Showed positive. But very faint. I had to wait another hour for them to run to another location to get a test. They stated it was positive. Sent me to an emergency place. Once there a bill for treatment was $3900. Banfield made it sound like he may not make it. So bring the bill for treatment. I was unfortunately thinking of the worst option. The Dr was amazing at the hospital. And offered another test. Which was NEGATIVE for parvo!!!

He was merely treated for anxiety. All tests were a great health report. But was still kept overnight. They felt bad in regards to Banfield mistake. She adjusted the bill to $1250. Not counting I missed a day of work no pay. This was last Feb. Hired a lawyer. After several letters they only offered to pay $250 for the misdiagnosis. Several letters were sent again. And nothing. I even emailed the president of Banfield. Nothing!!! Please think before using this hospital. Poor service. Corporate office ignores you. Horrible experience.

Original review: June 13, 2022

We have been waiting for our dog's test results for a week now, and I was informed then we will not get the results until the doctor that sent out the test was in the office. This is unacceptable. Our dog may have cancer and waiting a week for results we should have already received by now is asinine. The results should be available for any vet or vet tech to see so we can proceed with what needs to be done for our dog. Unfortunately this is not the only issue we have had with Banfield and we will not be renewing our plan when it comes time. These plans are not worth my dog's life.

Original review: June 7, 2022

My pet was scheduled for a 2pm appt. We live an hour away. We confirmed the appt. My husband arrived with time to spare to be told that they needed to reschedule the appt because the Vet went to lunch. No apologies nothing!!!! They are always rude. You cannot get a hold of the office manager or corporate. They instructed me to email BANFIELDCARES@banfield.com. Everyone there is always in a nasty mood! For this I am paying 670.00 a year times two for both pets?

Original review: June 6, 2022

We have been with Banfield for 18 years, 3 dogs. Our dog was breathing rapidly and wouldn’t eat. My husband tried to get her in to see the Vet, they said take her to an Emergency Hospital, the one they gave us opened at 3 pm (this was at 9am). Our Bella passed away around noon at home waiting for her appointment. To add salt to the wounds they said I had to call corporate to cancel her policy. When I called they said it's an annual plan, if you cancel before you have to pay for services rendered at regular cost. I said I can see that if I was just canceling, and going somewhere else, but she died (we bought her to Banfield to arrange cremation). So I ended up paying an additional $200 for (services rendered).

I referred so many people to them over the years, because they actually use to take care of my dog if they were sick. My last dog had a seizure and they had me come right in, I guess their focus changed over the years. I will now tell all my friends I referred and anyone else who will listen, get a REAL so you have someone to depend on.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I’ve been using Banfield for years and I will not be renewing with them. This is not a good company unless your pet is healthy all the time. I’ve never had any issues with Banfield in the past. My dogs have generally been healthy, but this experience did me in. My Border Collie clearly had a UTI, so I called my regular Banfield as soon as I realized, trying to get an appointment for the next morning; not an emergency, but I’d say still pretty urgent.

It took me calling 5 hospitals around DFW before I could get her an appointment. Then, at the Banfield where I was actually able to get her in, they cancelled the morning of because the vet called in sick. Had to call more hospitals to find her another appointment. Took her in at 7:30am the next morning, almost 2 days later, where they charged me for a urinalysis and said it could take 2-3 days for her labs to come back. So I was sent home with NO antibiotics and a $60 bill, and was told repeatedly to just wait for the labs—while my dog has blood in her urine and is peeing all over our house. By the time I get any medication, it will almost have been a full week.

Why do I pay almost $700/year for these services? There was no sense of urgency with any location. When I called to follow up, the techs were rude and basically told me I could either pay out of pocket for 2 separate antibiotics or just wait for her labs to come back. My dog is almost 9 years old, so you’d think her veterinarian would be more considerate. Will absolutely be looking for a new vet as soon as my contract is over with them.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I enrolled my cat in the Banfield extra plan when I lived in one city. I was more or less pleased with the doctors and staff, although I never received the "free" first exam--I was charged for it and they would not remove the charge. I changed to another Banfield office when I moved up the road 60 miles. The staff at the new office was fine, the doctors, not so much. When I was told my cat needed a shot but that IT WAS NOT COVERED under the plan, I asked why not. No factual answer; what is the purpose of the plan if required shots are not covered at @$450.00/year? No factual answer--"it isn't covered." When my cat was seemingly hurt, they could not find anything wrong--Dr. said cats are hard to diagnose!!?? When I returned about a week later, a different Dr. said she would give him a shot--ALSO NOT COVERED--and miracle of miracles, he recovered.

The first "visit" was @$400.00--over the plan costs. The second was around $100 and he was "cured" from whatever "non-diagnosable" mystery illness he had.

This is only the beginning. Following this fiasco, I went online and CANCELLED my plan in February. When my bill came in March, I called and told them I cancelled my plan. They said, "OK, this will be your last charge." I then got my April bill and ANOTHER CHARGE. Now, they say there well be no further charges. Evidently, the PLAN lasts for an entire calendar year, so you CAN NOT CANCEL even if the care is sub-standard and the required shots are not covered. It seems to me that the "plan" is simply an annuity to keep you coming back so they can charge you for "required" treatments that are NOT COVERED BY THE PLAN.

When a customer is dissatisfied and cancels the plan, they are required to pay out entire year even if they do not wish to use their care facilities any longer. While many will say that I should have "read the fine print" requiring me to pay for an entire year and that lists the items that are covered, I agree, but also I would suggest that the company provide a clear and concise data sheet when enrolling that clearly explains these terms and conditions. In addition, I would suggest that the REQUIRED shots that are NOT COVERED are clearly listed in any documentation provided and the PRICES for these required shots also be listed so that the customer is not blindsided.

I am very unhappy with the dollars I spent for what I consider sub-standard and somewhat sneaky care. I take responsibility for not reading the fine print, so that is on me. However, a REPUTABLE company will explain their terms and conditions clearly and make sure the customer understands the rules and limitations BEFORE committing to them. It all seems shady to me and not the way a business should be run. You can make your own determination, but be sure to ask questions before you enroll. You are stuck for paying for the 12 months whether you are pleased with the care or not. I have since found a local office that is both small, quiet, professional, and charges reasonable rates for retired customers like me in a town full of billionaires, which I am not. Possibly your local independent office is a better choice for you and your pet. You have to decide this for yourself.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I have no complaints about the doctors or staff, however, their pet contracts are a nightmare! I was a paying customer on their contracts for 3 years for one pet, never missed a monthly payment. I lost my job and had to move to a rural area where there was no Banfield Pet Hospital located within 3 hours. There had been no services rendered at all yet for the new contract. I called them to try to cancel and was told I had to payout my entire contract, yet I had no job and their payment was making my checking account overdraft, because again I was unemployed!

I had to go to my bank and stop payment on the withdrawal! Within a month or so they had turned me into collections. This is unbelievable! They were wanting $692 for nothing!! No services done to my dog at all! Companies like this are a total scam, out for money and trying to ruin people’s credit. I had worked hard to restore my credit score after a divorce, all to be lowered again for this. I hope this helps someone in the future before they decide to get a contract for their pet through this company.

Original review: May 20, 2022

My adult dog had a stomach bug, we took her in and the vet recommended the Wellness Plan. My husband and I considered it, she was getting a bit older so we agreed. Within 2 months our poor dog's health declined, we had to come in and get more tests, including a second round a blood tests that wasn't included, and she passed away. Almost two months after she passed I got charged for the Wellness Plan and called to see what could be done. The answer is nothing, I signed a year contract. So I lost my dog, paid for extra stuff that wasn't covered in the plan, and now get to continue to pay each month (for 10 months) until my contract is up. I really enjoyed the vets at the location, but not if their purpose is to offer extra tests and these plans. Then really stick it to you when it doesn't work out.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Banfield played a major role in causing the suffering and death of my new kitten! They ignored blood test results, failed to look back into her records when brought back in for a sick visit, and proceeded to administer a rabies vaccine without my consent, while she was suffering symptoms. She came home incontinent and unable to walk. I took her to a vet and he said she was in complete kidney failure and was euthanized that day while I held her. They wouldn’t cancel the contract and continued to take money straight out of our bank account, even after her death! We called the bank and they took care of it, we told them it was fraud. Please do not trust Banfield with your pets or your bank account! We learned the hard way!

Original review: May 13, 2022

There's a lack of disclosures when they sell you the insurance at the location. They are clearly compensated as they sell you with the insurance being a better deal and even upsold me a few months later not disclosing a contract upgrade. Don't do it, find a local vet who sees you as a human, not a greedy insurance company who sees you as a profit.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My dog got an infection from our other dog. Banfield said she needed cough meds to go along with the other antibiotics. Naturally that was not covered on wellness plan. Won't let you cancel plan at all.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I brought my puppy into the vet because she kept urinating and had diarrhea. They called me and said they needed to do bloodwork and x-rays, like always to get extra money so I did which cost me almost $800 for them to tell me that it was inconclusive and they recommended emergency surgery to spay my dog. Never once did they run a urinalysis. They said they think my dog has pyometra and they recommended emergency surgery. They sent me home with my dog bleeding still urinating continuously and diarrhea. They gave me antibiotics and said they will call me in the morning if one of the hospitals would perform the surgery which was going to cost me over $2500. Plus they wanted to do an ultrasound another $2500. They called me the next morning and said they have no available appointments to do the emergency surgery. Thank God for that.

I ended up taking my dog to Lawndale pet Hospital. He looked over the blood work, looked over the x-ray and did a urinalysis come to find out she had a severe bladder infection. For that price at Lawndale was $115. Banfield pet hospital almost had me have emergency surgery on my puppy female by the way for nothing. And I do plan on breeding her. I am shocked and appalled. I must say one thing though everyone there at the Banfield Hospital Culver city is very friendly. However it’s so hard to get an appointment at any Banfield let alone try to cancel your policy if one of your pets die. I will continue my service at Lawndale pet Hospital and once my policy is over with Banfield I will never step foot in there again.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Updated on 05/01/2022: My issue with Banfield Hospital was resolved around the health preventive care insurance and they canceled my policy after my doggie died. I was glad that it happened. It is hard enough to lose a pet. Thank you.

Original Review: They won't let you cancel your policy even after your pet has died. Imagine that! Highway robbery. The service charges are still really high and they have a terrible shortage of vets. They tell you that you are getting a discount on the services but when you shop around, you find out that they charge more than others to start with. Also, visiting the vet can be very traumatic for your pet because they expect you to leave your pet with them all day even for a short visit. I do not recommend Banfield Pet Hospital.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Let me start by saying we have been pet plan subscribers at Banfield for roughly 10+ years. We have 3 dogs which Banfield does not hesitate to deduct $120+ A month out of our checking account for. Our dog has been dealing with diabetes for ~5 years and recently has begun having issues with his glucose spiking and going below minimums. Due to this Dr. Hayden ** suggested we put him on a glucose monitor and return to see him on Monday. Reschedule day to attend appointment, yet Dr. ** was nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile, other doctor who was there, Dr. **, refused to see our dog or even come out to chat about what we should do. Even though I was able to provide graphs showing his blood sugar was dipping into the danger zone. They suggest we move appointment to this morning to which we did for a virtual appointment. We log on to appointment- no Dr. **. Nurse states he refuses to talk to us because he believes we aren’t following his plan and to take our dog to medvet.

In Summary- Dr. ** is by far the most unprofessional veterinarian I have ever met. I have never had a doctor refuse to even talk to a patient or pet owner. To take the stance that he is just done with our dog is unbelievable. I will be filing a BBB complaint and suing to have my pet plan membership charges refunded. I encourage any person checking these reviews to determine if they should go to this clinic to reconsider. For anything beyond standard check ups and teeth cleanings that they CONSTANTLY want you to pay for, other things don’t seem to be their specialty. Constant referrals to Med Vet to spend more money will be in your future. They will strongly push for you to join their pet plan but I assure you, it’s not worth it and you will be wasting your money.

Original review: April 3, 2022

DO NOT BRING YOUR PETS HERE. If I could rate Banfield at Middletown zero stars, I would. Banfield is terrible. Our dog had been sick with a cough since earlier this year and we were told it was just Kennel Cough and that it will go away. A month later, we took him in for an exam on February 24, 2022 to which the doctor says "oh it's only a heart murmur, just take him to a cardiologist."

On April 2, 2022, my dog died suddenly. After receiving the autopsy, we were told my dog had severe cancer in his spine. How did Banfield not discover this through the blood testing they allegedly did during the appointment on February 24th. My dog had been going to Banfield since 2015 and religiously went to all his appointments and received all his vaccines. Banfield is run by the most incompetent group of veterinarians I have ever met. They should have discovered this through their routine check up and the fact they did not concerns me for future pets that plan on going here. The veterinarians are negligent in the way they treat for animals and do not care about a single one.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Nothing against the doctors. Banfield has made my life easier since I have moved so much and they are everywhere. But I’m so over them. Definitely a scam. My plan renewed in November. My dog was diagnosed with cancer. She went to the vet once in November and they told us. Paid thousands of dollars of course. Always. She passed four months later and they won’t let me cancel her plan. I mean come on. Tens and thousands of dollars I’ve spent on my three dogs with them.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I really wish there was a negative value rating, 1 star is too much for Banfield, or I mean Scamfield. Banfield veterinarian services is horrible, I have always taken my pets to "real" veterinarian and not scamsters who use a store front like Banfield. My dog is a very friendly Collie Golden mix, yet the tech said she was very aggressive and bit at the cage. What pissed me off was that the tech said I have a terribly bad dog, he said this in the presence of my 8 and 16 year old daughters, and this just destroyed them both. I was so pissed that I had to control my temptation to escalate. During one visit, likely due to her being "caged" while we waited, she came back home and was scratching, turned out she picked up mange. Likewise Scamfield said my dog had really heavy tooth build up.

Anyway, after all of this I went to a real vet, and my dog is happier, my kids are happier, my dog is not caged while I wait, I wait with my dog, my dog does not get mange at this vet, and oh, imagine this, the real vet says her teeth are perfectly fine. Oh, better yet, at the real vet, my dog is always seen and treated by a real doctor, and not technicians. At Scamfield I never saw nor met a doctor, always talked to technicians. For those who don't know, do your research on Scamfield, they are owned by Mars, yes Mars the candy company, how possibly can a candy company have any inkling of how to run a veterinarian service? You get what you pay for, and I'm done with Scamfield, no longer buy Mars products, and because of the PetSmart affiliation, I no longer shop at PetSmart.

Original review: March 22, 2022

If you join their wellness program, be prepared for them to try and trick you into renewing it. Today I brought my dog for a rabies vaccine that was going to expire in about a week and she needs it for boarding. I had cancelled my wellness plan a few months back to end on the 3oth of this month, so it didn't auto-renew without knowing what was being paid for. My dog would need further vaccinations and wellness check at the end of April, but we needed the rabies now, so I brought her in. I have been given various info on how close or how far these vaccines can be through the year I have been with them and amazingly today they could be a month early for the sake "getting it done all at once" and updating my plan to cover it today, instead of coming back in April (after the plan would need to be renewed).

I was called by Amber about an hour after I dropped my dog off and offered this. When I was speaking with her what she was telling me price-wise didn't make sense. I had a puppy plan at 47 a month plus interceptor heartworm which gave me a monthly fee of 56 bucks. Now she was telling me that the new fee since I was taking an improved heartworm med would be about the same at 58 bucks. I questioned this because I saw the plan was $33 a month and wondered where this high charge was coming from.

Well, it turns out the new hw med was not "just a few dollars more" it considerably more and the price may not have included a spay but her deceptive wording meant a few dollars more than I had been paying last year which included a spay. I was reluctant but agreed (I should not have but I felt put on the spot). I called my hubs, and he said a few things about an overlap and prorate but wanted to look at it to understand why the cost was not the $33.

Well Amber, when asked told me the difference was because I was no longer on the puppy plan but on an adult dog plan. More deceptive wording. I called back within a few minutes of having gotten off with her to tell her don't do anything, my hubs wanted to look at it first. Well Thank you Amber for jumping down my throat with "Well then you have no reason for your dog to be here!!" after I asked her to not renew the plan yet. YES, I did! The rabies vaccine I brought her in for.

Needless to say, I didn't respond calmly and told her point-blank to just give my dog the treatment I brought her there for. Later when I went back, she acted as though I had done something to her and blamed me for her having to call corporate to change the plan. It's amazing they could update that plan so fast but everything else all day. Regardless of an inconvenience, I had been polite to her until she jumped down my throat. All she had to say was ok and let me know she would cancel it. When she gave me my papers she had connected it to the comments about corporate and I asked her what those things had to do with each other. Again a nasty attitude and acted as though she didn't have to answer my questions, which I had to ask more than once how long it would take to get updated papers while she and her co-worker simultaneously rolled their eyes.

Amber was clearly mad because she uses deceptive practices to get people to stay on the plan and I didn't allow it. Her aggression towards me is the reason I now won't go back there. I'm the customer I deserve to be respected. I was shocked when she remarked so angrily that my dog didn't need to be there. Her behavior was inappropriate, even if I had annoyed her by changing my mind. I had every right to call back and change my mind though, especially since they try to coerce people over the phone and manipulate their customers.

WORST part, they gave my dog all the treatments I declined instead of just giving her the rabies shot. They do whatever they want. I was very clear about only giving her the rabies shot. The vet told me "she was under the impression" I had wanted those services, despite my having been very clear with Amber what I wanted done and specifically said only the rabies shot. However, when I spoke to the vet on the phone (she called me) she said she hadn't done anything yet and was going to give her the rabies shot before I picked her up.

Then when I got there, they had done all the services anyway including the vaccines my dog didn't need until the end of April. I was compensated for those services I had declined, I'm just not sure what the reason was. I don't know if the vet knew how her service agent spoke to me and was trying to be nice or if they wanted to cover up their mistake. Either way, they never gave me clear information on vaccinations and just do them whenever it suits their convenience. Don't use these people. They only want to trap you in a contract and dont respect or listen to their customers. They certainly lost a customer today.

Original review: March 7, 2022

What if a random company you never did business with turned you over to a collection agency and said you owed them about $600? Wouldn’t you call that fraud? Maybe you might say it was a case of identity theft, but get this, when I talked to Banfield they told me the only thing that matched between me and the person they provided service to was the first and last name! The phone didn’t match, the address didn’t match. So how does Banfield end up turning me over to the collection agency? Obviously they must have searched public records for someone else with the same name and that turned out to be me. Actually, I guess that does sound like identity theft doesn’t it? What kind of business does this? Let me be very clear. I did not use Banfield and never have. I was told the name of the pet that was treated and it 100% was not my pet. I was told the date of the treatment. None of our pets were treated on that date.

After trying to resolve the issue through BBB, Banfield did finally reveal that the person who they provided service to also had the same date of birth as me. Does that make it reasonable to turn me over to the collection agency? NO WAY! They are a national company. The idea that there couldn’t possibly be two or more people born on the same day with the same name out of the whole country is ridiculous. It gets even better, they then went on to say that because I claim NOT to be the person on the account they could not share any additional information with me, but they still would not contact the collection agency to tell them to desist. Really? That’s like saying, “Well… we’re not really sure if you are actually be the person who owes us money but we’re still going to collect from you because... well just because.”

After multiple phone calls and correspondence through BBB, Banfield’s final position was that I should file a police report and send it to the collection agency. So I did. I told the police the whole story and said I hold Banfield responsible. How horrible of a company do you have to be when even people who aren’t your customers are filing complaints against you? I feel very sorry for people who actually are customers with this horrible company.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Banfield Pet Hospitals. I set up teeth cleaning and suddenly all three of my dogs had heart murmurs so Banfield said no. I took one to another vet and he said no murmur and the cleaning went well. Later that year it was time to euthanize my elderly dog and I was put in a room crying while they took him. I have always held my dog when the injections are used. For an hour hour they kept my dog and the nurse and vet kept ducking in asking questions while I cried. I am 79 and it was very stressful. Finally they said that despite all his problems his heart was okay and they wouldn’t do it. They treated me like I was a very bad person and it hurt so much. Then when I tried to cancel my plan they refused unless I paid For the whole year.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Awful. The process to log in is absurd. Accessing a live person to assist with account info and equally annoying. I spent 2 hours trying to cancel my pet insurance, and failed. Ended up calling my bank and will still need to follow up with them. We used to take our pets for grooming there, until we read that several had died in their care under horrible circumstances. Still, we felt the vets were qualified. Until our puppy was misdiagnosed. At that point we decided to cancel our pet insurance, but after numerous attempts at getting through, we realized the entire process is corrupt. This is not a company you want to trust with your pets.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I have numerous issues with this company as many of you. My pet was misdiagnosed, customer service, etc. Another vet diagnosed the pet correctly. When I complained I got resistance from the clinic and corporate. I feel they don’t care. I eventually had to file a complaint with my state's attorney against Medical Management International, Inc. dba Banfield, The Pet Hospital. Don’t bring your pet here! I have so much regret.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I first came to Banfield after purchasing a new doberman pinscher puppy. I went into PetSmart looking for a certain brand of dog food, and decided to inquire about a pet healthcare plan. My first warning should have been the "I don't care" attitude the front desk gave me when I approached them. However I did return to bring my pup to her first visit. When talking to the front desk I wanted a detailed explanation of what would be done and the cost. The lady quoted me a total price of $320 for all her shots and heartworm medicine. When I returned to pick up my doggy they then gave me a price almost double! I asked why is the price not what I agreed to in dropoff and the lady simply said they must've left off the dog's medicine. I paid and left feeling a certain way but glad my dog was safe.

I returned for her second round of shots 3 weeks later. Again I was quoted a price and given a higher price on pickup. Again I ask why is it higher than the quoted price on dropoff. The nurse just looked at me like she was going to hold my dog hostage to this scam they keep pulling. When I made it aware this is the second time they've charge me more than my quote. She tried to smooth it over again acting confused on why I was quoted a lower price. Again shrugging her shoulders like "are you going to pay or not?" I paid and told her I would do a review of the company for how I was treated. This is all I can do as they already have my money. Nearly $600 just for rabies shots and heartworm medicine in less than a month!

I called a vet near my house and they stated they could have done the same for less than half that price. DO NOT BRING YOUR PET HERE! The lobby was filled with doom and gloom of complaining customers talking over the cry of screaming pets in the background (I wondered what they were doing to her). This is my first and worst experience dealing with a pet hospital. I hope it's a one off.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

When I first got my puppy we took her to Banfield to check on prices for shots. A nurse informed us that we would sign up for the wellness option plan but told us to sign up for it the day we return for her shots. We come back sign up and my puppy gets her shots. We asked if we decided to go with a cheaper place what is the cancellation process. We were told that we had 4 days to find a new place, cancel the plan and we would not have to pay any fees for doing so.

We call back the next day to call and we’re told we had to pay the remaining $292 of her bill when the previous day we had paid $151. After explaining that we were not told of any of the information regarding the policy in the correct manner the staff still required us to pay the money and told us if it isn’t paid by 6 pm the day we canceled it would go to a collection agency. We were refused all and any refunds until we talked to the head board who only decided to refund us $51. It’s almost 2 weeks later and the refund is still not in my account which I was told it would be in there from 3-4 business days. So in total for a employee's mistake I have had to come out of my pocket with $414 in two days.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

The vet and their staff misdiagnosed my new puppy with allergies when in reality she had mites that now have spread to her perfectly healthy brother as well as to BOTH MY FIANCE AND MYSELF. I called a week later to confirm and was denied another visit with any skin testing, was told it's just allergies and it will go away. Today three weeks after initial visit, my dogs were ignored for 3 hours when they were dropped off as emergencies, and we were told they could have EASILY diagnosed this FIRST VISIT without any of the rest of my family being affected. Absolutely disgusting level of attention to detail. My pets have now been suffering needlessly for weeks and we have medical bills now. If this helps even one person steer clear of this office I am happy to keep posting every single place I can. Terrible staff. Awful incompetent drs.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I brought my dog in because he was feeling extremely ill. I decided to sign up with Banfield because their plans seemed to be the most beneficial. They did a bunch of scans and tests & at the end said they didn’t know what was wrong and left it at that with no details whatsoever. It was a quick 30 second explanation, despite his condition. I didn’t want to continue bringing my dog here after the first experience, but had no choice at that point, since the membership cost was less than the cost of the 1st checkup alone. Just be very mindful when coming here, and make sure you ask lots of questions about the costs of every single thing, because when you sign up for the 12 months, and decide to cancel most likely the total costs without the membership would be more than the membership costs, even though the price of the everything done are way cheaper at other vets.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

My dog has kidney disease, and my vet wrote a prescription for Hill's Science Diet k/d, but my dog would not eat it. My vet then wrote a general prescription for renal diet dog food so I could get something else. I called Banfield since I was aware that they carried the Royal Canin brand and NONE of the pet stores stock prescription dog food any longer. I was told that even though I had a prescription from my vet that I would need to have Banfield's vet do a complete exam including labs before they would sell me any dog food. That's a few hundred dollars I would need to spend just to buy a few cans of dog food.

Thank God Chewy is quick and I got the food very quickly with no issues. Ordered it on a Friday and Fedex delivered on Sunday at no extra charge. Stay clear of the Banfield greed. They really do not care about your pets. They're just another corporation mining profits. Again, please be aware that none of the pet stores carry prescription foods any longer.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I have cat that has feline herpes. Apparently a very common eye condition that should have been identified at the first visit. But instead I spent hours and $1,500.00 visiting Banfield Seven Corners five (5) times since early November and the vets still could not get the diagnosis right. There is no continuity or communication between vets, lost test results, no response from the office manager. It is an awful operation. Do not use them for your pets.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I really wish there is a negative rating. We have been with them for over 7 months now, and every time we visit them for a wellness check they just add some test and bill us at least $50 minimum. Just for our dear puppy, we would do anything and they are just using our emotions. It is just a corporate! Today we had the worst experience at the Lakepleasant Banfield.

Today we took our 9 month old puppy for a wellness visit, and they kept him for 3 hours doing nothing. They called us back saying he was hyper and they could not do any test on him or weigh him. They said we could give him medicines before every vet visit, and they charged $115 for the medicine. I bought the meds and came out and called my wife who said those medicines cost $20 or less at elsewhere with a prescription, so I went inside to return the meds and get a refund. They took the medicines inside a room and came back saying there are missing pills. They counted the medicine and said there are only 70 pills instead of 80 and since 10 pills are missing they can't refund me!

I was really shocked with this. The medicine box was unopened when I returned it. Which means, they either gave me lesser quantity in the first place, or just to not refund the money, they trashed some pills and accused me stating there are missing pills. They basically questioned my value system and ethics. First of all, if they had just said since you bought it you cant return I would have just left, but they questioned my value system and my ethics which hurt the most. When I shouted at them stating I will cancel the monthly, they said I have signed a yearly contract, which was never mentioned to me as well! This is the worst experience ever, and I am really feeling disappointed, hurt, upset and helpless not for just losing the money, but for being accused of missing pills.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Please, I urge you to reach out to any of your neighbors, friends or associates, who can recommend a local veterinarian to you, that has the best interest in pups/cats; A veterinarian who is still ‘old schooled’ and have that in-depth care about our animals, who are family members. I am speaking from experience! Run away from Banfield Hospital for pets!! Like many of you, I am stuck with paying off my contract with them. You see, I have had them for many years and now that my beagle is 12 years old, he was diagnosed with Diabetes.

Banfield diagnosed him when I took him in for a check-up as he was constantly drinking water and urinating quite frequently one day. Sad to say that in those times that I took him in for his ‘usual’ check-ups, he always got a clear bill of health, so I was baffled when I was told that he was this ill. To add fuel to the fire Banfield Hospital recommended I take him to another hospital with a high price tag to get him stabilized.

At this time, you could not imagine the turmoil that I was in, when in the next breath I was told by the vet that my next option was to euthanize him if I could not afford the bill!! What?? Oh no…this vet was kidding right? The day before my pup was being his usual loveable, alert self and all of a sudden I have this heaviness to bear to put him to sleep??? No, unthinkable!!! There must be some other way!! No, absolutely not…according to the vet those were my choices…pay an exorbitant amount of money or end my pup’s life, on that same day he was diagnosed. Well, with the unthinkable and heavy weary heart I had to make that decision. That very night I cradled my pup, spoke with him and prepared to say my goodbye and called Banfield Hospital to schedule putting him to sleep for good.

The morning of that dreaded moment, to put him down, my adorable pup went outside to urinate and sprinted back to me, basically looking and acting as his usual “happy, alert self”. I was in awe…and looked at my son and said “hell no, there was no way I could do this”. No, there must be another way, this is a sign.

Without hesitation, I called Banfield Hospital and cancelled the appointment to put him down and thereafter started calling around. There must be someone out there with a heart and who has some alternatives.

Luckily one of my son’s friends works with a diabetic specialist. We were asked a series of questions and were recommended to find another vet to get him started on insulin. Suffice to say, we did, and found the best veterinarian care hospital owned and operated by all females, females who cares! The funny thing is, the astronomical charge Banfield Hospital wanted from me to stabilize my pup was not even necessary. All he needed was a little liquid for his dehydration which was given by his new vets. Wow, what a difference huh?

I’ve changed my pup’s diet to home cooked food which includes two herbs which not only keeps his insulin level low, but his frequent urination and excessive drinking of water has stopped. Just a simple diet change made a huge difference. It has been five months now and I am working closely with our new vets at this new hospital. With their recommendation and guidance I am now conducting my pup’s glucose curves which I then forward to them for review and insulin dosage. My pup is doing great now, glucose level is under control and he has gained back almost all the weight he loss. Every day when I look at my pup I think about how I almost put him down way before his time. My new vet says with his glucose under control he should live out the rest of his life expectancy.

Diabetes is not the end of your pet’s life, Banfield almost made it so. It is so sad I could not get out of paying the rest of my contract. Had Banfield’s vets taken that extra time to assist with additional recommendations or sought to work through their hearts after so many years faithfully working with them, I would not feel this sadness with the contract, but sadly so much $$ lost over the years. What we thought was a convenience turned out to be our worst nightmare. Run for the hills people I say. Find a local vet.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information