1.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 136 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Banfield Pet Hospital

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

1677 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This pet hospital has promised a refund for my cat's stay in the pet hospital back in October 2017. No refund at all. I have emails that confirm my story. Due to their neglect, my cat had to stayed overnight in a different animal hospital "Blue Pearl" which cost over $700.00 that they said they would refund me the money. I am still waiting for the refund.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

We have been patients for 14 years 11 months. Their cancellation policy on the wellness plan is disgusting. My dog passed away. They won't cancel the plan; they will not renew it but continue to bill me through the end of the billing cycle - Since we used more services this past year. This is disgusting policy! I never saw a credit when we only used the wellness portion of the plan for 10+ years. This company is greedy! I will never take another pet or refer Bainfield to another person! In time of grieving they still continue to take your money without hesitation.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My Fiance and I signed 2, twelve month Wellness plans for our cats. We did sign the auto renewal option when we started the plan in December of 2016. However, in October of 2017 we called the customer service number to cancel the auto renewal option. We are blessed with healthy animals, and we also found a local vet to help our cats if and when needed. We had no need to continue with Banfield Pet Hospital's services. Sure enough an amount was deducted out of my account this month (Jan '18), which is one month after the 12 month contract expired.

I called today to speak with a representative. The female rep explained that she didn't have notes of me calling in Oct '17 to cancel the auto renewal. When I asked if they could refund the amount, I was told no. No matter what I asked, she continued to come back with the answer, "we do not have notes in the system of your call to cancel the auto renewal". My question was, "Perhaps one of your members made the mistake, is this possible?" She said no. It wasn't possible for them to make the mistake. Because of this I would never recommend the Wellness Plan, or the services at Banfield Pet Hospital.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I made an appointment for my four month old pup to get vaccinations after finding a coupon on their website for a free office visit. I am disabled and on a fixed income so every penny counts. While there I let the doctor know she had a discharge and it was recommended they do a urinalysis. I asked for an estimate first, and after review, I agreed with the plan. In order to do urinalysis they needed my pup to pee. After waiting around 15 minutes without success they said for me to go home and bring a sample back. I returned within an hour with the sample. I waited in the waiting room while the test was done. The vet then came out to tell me my pup had a serious UTI and she needed antibiotics, anti-inflammatory meds, prescription food and a recheck in two weeks.

After my initial payment of $124.39 earlier, I was then presented another invoice for an additional $190.00 not including the food. Upon reviewing I see that they have now charged for a Follow-up Office Visit because I brought the pee back. I notified them I would have waited until she peed on the premises had I known there would be a second Office Visit charge. After I demanded they take that charge off they did. I looked at the cost of the ** 250 mg. 14 tablets only to see that were charging $77.60. I googled price and saw that PetSmart (which is where Banfield is located) was charging $1.95 per tablet, so 14 would have cost only $24.30. I questioned the absurd fee they were charging and the response was, "Sorry. That's what we charge." Because I didn't want to compromise the condition of my pup I did end up purchasing the meds, BUT I WILL NEVER RETURN TO BANFIELD FOR FUTURE CARE.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

When you sign up, they do tell you that the plan only covers certain things. What they don't tell you is that at every appt. you come out of pocket hundreds of dollars. They always recommend something else has to be done, and each time is $100 or more. On top of that the monthly fee... and forget cancelling within the first year, unless you want to come out of pocket hundreds of dollars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

This morning I called our Banfield care center about my dog having a bad cough and his breathing being labored. She set me an appointment for Friday as a drop off. Then my son called again to see if there was a chance of getting him in and was told that the vet was in surgery and would call him back... She didn't ask for his phone number and likewise the vet never returned our call. Amazing that they are still in surgery this late in the evening. She also told my son to take our dog to an emergency hospital. Why would we go to another hospital when we have been with Banfield for over 5 years. Something needs to be done about the way these girls treat the people who call and if they say you will receive a call back one needs to be placed.

T

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My pet died because I could not get help for him when I needed it. I took him to emergency. It cost $800.00 more and he died and they are still charging me, after paying all these years. They did a comprehensive exam and did not tell me his liver showed high on the test or maybe didn’t even do the blood work that is supposed to be covered in the insurance plan I have. My dog went a whole year before they checked him for thyroid problems when he started losing hair. Their services is not good.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have someone who is going to give my dog a new home. So I call to cancel the insurance coverage. And I’m told the policy just renewed in August. So in order for me to cancel today I would have to pay. Why is it that I never receive any mail in regards to the renewal of this policy. In fact I have never received any mail or updates and the insurance. Only phone calls when the comprehensive exam is due. One time I received a letter telling me that I was neglecting my dog because I missed the appointment. This was not true because I did take him in. So I called and ask why would anyone send out letter. When the information in the letter is incorrect. I feel any and all companies should send out a letter when a contract is due to renew. We make monthly payments so we should receive information about the coverage we are paying for year to year. If I don’t pay I receive all kinds of mail and phone calls about what will happen if I don’t pay.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

If I could I would give them zero stars, my dog sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago due to a rare form of cancer that was found. Banfield was our primary care doctor for our dog and they did not detect the cancer nor did they do anything at all for him being ill all the countless amount of times we've taken him. He sadly began presenting many abnormal signs that a dog does not normally do so we became alarmed and took him to our closest banfield hospital. They had him from 9:30-12:45 and did nothing but draw blood. Meanwhile my dog was extremely ill. They told me to take him to a 24 hour hospital rather than keep him there and when they handed me him I immediately noticed something strange with his eyes.

As soon as we arrived to the 24 hour animal hospital they told us that he had turned blind. My dog turned blind under the supervision and care of banfield and they did nothing about it!!!! They did not even tell us, they truly are the worse animal hospital ever. Please do not bring your animal there. They are more concerned about your money rather than the care for your animal. My dog was neglected by them, their services are the worst. My family is truly devastated for the tragic loss of our pet but we are at peace that he is no long suffering. Our anger and frustration is with banfield animal hospital due to their lack of care and sensitivity towards our fellow animals. I am truly baffled and in shock with their poor services and their lack of attention to my poor dog who was suffering all these years and they did nothing to help.

Please be aware and do not go to any banfield hospitals! When I called the doctor at the banfield location the next day prior to putting him down, the doctor had the nerve to read me the report from the 24 hour animal hospital and tell me that she had told me this when I picked my dog up from them! Which all was a lie, she did not tell me anything at all besides the fact that there were some abnormalities with his blood and that he was dehydrated and she had felt something abnormal within his abdomen that he more than likely would have to stay at a 24 hour animal hospital for a day to get rehydrated. Not once did she mention how severely ill my dog was and did not mention he was blind.

This pains me to know that under their supervision and so called care he was only suffering more and progressively getting worse and they did not a single thing at all about it. When I asked her why she didn't tell me she said it was because they had performed a check up on him about 2 hours before they told me I could pick him up and he did not appear blind at that time. This situation in all is so frustrating and truly devastating for my family. I don't understand their lack of care towards the animals that go there, what's the point in being an animal hospital if you cannot properly care for ill animals? Please do not take your animals to any banfield animal hospitals!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Horrible facility. I had to pay for another dog that was not mine. It was horrible and I hate the customer service. Do not use Banfield if you can help it. They are horrible!!! They use people emotion and they take their money. It's awful. I have one dog and was helping another dog. Brought them to Banfield and they used my emotions and made me pay $1200 for a dog that I brought and helped. That is not fair. I used only $564 and had to pay double. Very upset.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have a complaint on the Charlotte, NC 28277 Blakeney location. Had a terrible experience where staff was negligent and performing without consent. Staff was rude and did not have an explanation. I went to speak with the manager and he apologized because he admitted they messed up. I need someone to get back to me because this is not right. You have staff that is not sensitive to customers, providing medical care without consent and also poor at communication.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Attention all cat owners: Don't trust Banfield Pet Hospital. These hospitals are usually found at PetSmart locations, making it one of the most convenient and popular hospitals for pet owners. But in our experience, we've come to not trust the vets at our store. And I don't want to under exaggerate anything... We wouldn't trust them as far as you can throw em and boy have I felt the desire to do just that.

After they recommended sending our Princess Pebbles home with us thinking she was fine, we took her to a different, high-end emergency hospital where they found the lymphoma in her stomach that forced us to put her down. We're still heartbroken by that. But now our second cat, St. Peaches, recently had her annual vaccinations and check-up. She now has worms. Her flea medicine they prescribed for us hasn't done much good either, and we think that's the only way she could have gotten the worms too.

As it is, she hates going to the vet. But obviously we'd feel good about putting her in a cage and bringing her there if we knew they'd make her better. They are not. Now taking her to the vet just feels like we're kicking her when she's down. And if you love your cats as much as we love ours, you never want to put your babies through that sort of misery. And of course, the thought of losing the second of two stray kittens we've tried to save would be truly devastating to us. We're hoping her worms will be cleaned out of her without too much trouble or damage done to St. Peaches. I'll be sharing this criticism on other websites I can find to warn other people as well. We will NOT be trusting Banfield Pet Hospital with our babies ever again. Our location is Morehead City, NC.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

If there is a 0 star I would have given that! I had an appointment yesterday at 4:30pm and they did not even checked my dogs ears! When I came home I realized he had an ear infection. When I went there early in the morning they stated that they are not required to check the ear and the eyes!!! Then what are you checking when we came to the appointment!?? Why am I paying monthly if they will not check everything??? I am not even going there every month but I am paying? It's fine but when I am going there for an appointment every 2-3 months THEY NEED TO CHECK EVERYTHING MY DOG HAS!!! So we went there in early morning and they refused to check my dogs ear and sent us home even without looking! They said there was no doctor in (that was a lie) because I saw the doctor walking in while I was having conversation with the receptionist! Horrible place. So upset!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I would give this facility a zero if I could, as it is a terrible facility, with uncaring personnel, dirty rooms, vet techs who look like they just rolled straight out of bed. It is a factory for animals and they care only about making an additional buck, on top of your wellness plan. On my initial visit, Andrea **, DVM had to give my puppy an additional injection, because she withdrew the vaccine too soon (four pokes instead of three) and felt extremely uncomfortable doing a rectal temp. To top it off, I was told that my puppy got three pokes instead of four.

I was in the room and witnessed the entire incident. Thanks for the honesty, Banfield. Gina **, DVM was a "know it all", had a "talk down to" attitude and likes to lecture you on the care of your animal. However, when I asked her about the amount that I should be feeding my puppy, she responded with, "look on the bag!" How did you obtain your vet degree, Gina? Pretty scary to say the least. Another question for you, Gina? Heard of bedside manners before? Do not take your loving animals to this facility, as it is a chop shop of animal care.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I took my cats and my dog to Banfield. I didn't like the way the Salespeople (who were supposed to be vet techs) slapped a booklet down on the table where your baby was sitting, waiting for something to happen. If you have a healthy pet, you can make an appointment at any other vet's office and it would cost about the same as one visit at Banfield, maybe even a bit less. The difference that I have found since I left Banfield, is my new Vet cares more about the well being of my fur babies than suckering me into buying a wellness "scam" plan. I paid for some time and only took my babies a couple times. I paid out of pocket for way too much. What is the point of a "plan" if I am still paying for all the services and medications? I honestly should have known better than taking my fur babies to a Food Store to see the doctor. Shame on me. And Shame on Banfield. There are certainly a lot of Negative reviews on here, hmmm that means something. Do Not Go There!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Don't believe that just because you've purchased the so called WELLNESS PLAN that your visit is FREE. Banfield is a rip off of the WORST kind. They take advantage of your love for your pet and turn it into profit. The prices for services are ridiculous and every time you visit the doctors will find SEVERAL things wrong with your pet to ensure you pay for SOMETHING before you leave. Most of the so called medicines can be purchased over the counter at a much lower price. The gimmick is that they know that your pet means the world to you, they're your babies and they capitalize on just that. I am moving out of state and there are no Banfield offices anywhere near there yet I am still required to pay the contract out for 8 months even though my pet won't be visiting the hospital AT ALL!!! I don't know about you but $320 to give away. DON'T USE BANFIELD!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

PetSmart policy is so misleading. They get you to purchase those wellness plans without adding the fact that you will be locked into a 12 month agreement. After finding out the savings is not so great after all and that you will probably not utilize plan monthly. Once they get you to drop your pet off... That’s their opportunity to call you and tell you your pet has A-Z. Thank God they were unable to get a hold of me or I would have agreed without thinking, to go ahead and add more cost to a plan I will not use much after today. Once I declined the service... They were not as friendly as they were when you first got there. Especially the doctor. They are not upfront about their policy. If you don’t ask, they won’t tell you. It’s a shame everyone has a game. And if you don’t know how to play... You will forever lose...

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Dog passed away a year ago. And they are still charging me $35 a month for their insurance, despite many attempts to cancel. They refuse to cancel the account, and I've gone around and around the customer support side. These people are a complete scam.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

So, I was told at my first appointment at Banfield, you get this, you get that. Easy appointments, flexible, can cancel anytime. Total lie! Every time I thought I scheduled an appointment, I was then called and told there was no available appointments, but I can maybe do a drop off appointment. First off, website is misleading, secondly, why was an in office appointment never available, and a drop off appointment is always pushed. I want to be there, and I don't want to leave my most likely scared, not feeling well pet. Ok, then I call 8 different locations, nothing for days, I call my dog's vet, squeezed me in on a Saturday in a minute (they are the best). Call to cancel Banfield, told, "Do you schedule your pets for their visits like you should, maybe if you don't wait 'til last minute..." I didn't, something looks off and I want it checked.

Then I tell her, "Just please cancel, I can never get in, so why pay for something I haven't used?" She tells me she will have to charge me the rest of the year since I signed a contract. I was told I could cancel, you can, but they charge you. I was then told I received over $300 dollar service in June, and I only had to pay, blahblahblah. The vet didn't even clean his ears, she wanted more money to do that, even though he had an ear infection. (Never had that before, real vets clean then apply medicine, no extra charge, just FYI). I really should have known better since in a pet store. Scam and not pet people, money people. Curious to see if they actually look at the animals when you drop off, weird. Stay away, protect your pets and money!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I just put my second cat on a wellness plan and took him back in for a follow-up and antibiotic injection. They told me that in addition to the charge for the antibiotic, there would be an additional $60 fee to anesthetize the cat to give him the injection. HMMM. Give an injection to anesthetize the cat to give him another injection. Poor bedside manners. Staff is both rude and incompetent. They try to up-sale everything as the employees (at least the vets) get 10% of the cost of any up-sale. I won't waste my time writing more--though I could. Just don't go there.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been with Banfield over 7 years. Although I like the pet hospitals that we have been to, I am very disappointed in their pet insurance. I moved from NY to North Carolina 13 months ago and called Banfield about 4 months ago when I realized that NC prices are cheaper, they have been overcharging me $12 every month that I've lived here.

When I called to change my monthly fee, they told me that I don't have a contract, but they still have to charge me NY prices. I told them to have a manager call me so we can discuss this further. A manager did call and left a message, but I was not able to answer the phone, I was at work. When I called back (several times), nobody got back to me. They owe me $156 for all the times they collected more from me, have not returned it, and have the nerve to continue to bill me, without a contract. Now a collection agency is going after me for $125. Banfield and the collection agency have my correct and current address as well.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Do NOT do this!!! If you try to cancel because your daughter needs a wheelchair they say you owe them $400 for one visit!!! Plus you still have to pay something when you take them in! Biggest con EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Brought our dog into Banfield Encinitas to Dr. Julie **. After our dog awoke from surgery we found that he had been severely abused by Ms. Julie ** from Vermont. She removed 18 of his teeth without our permission then attempted to bill us over 1k dollars! She used a sharp wrench type instrument to open his gums and jaw. Never stitched him up! He was left crying in agony, given no pain meds, handed to us like a piece of trash, and when I called to say he wasn't doing well, lethargic and unable to eat she laughed about it! There's a petition to have her removed from practice as she has misdiagnosed several dogs with her narcissistic personality & the dogs have died. She has no remorse and we have now a over 1k bill to pay on top of a dog who was abused so badly his gums are still swollen and unable to eat as well. A young dog might I add.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I bought a wellness plan with the spay included for my dog. After deciding to wait for her to have a heat cycle before getting the spay done, we ran into problems. If the dog is older than 6 months when receiving the spay then the cost jumps significantly. Most other locations increase the costs due to weight, not age. My dog weighed the same at 8 months as she did 5 months. After refusing to pay more for a service I had already paid for, I tried getting a refund for the spay. They WILL NOT refund you for services not used. Stay far away from Banfield. Their customer service is a joke. And after all this they automatically renewed my account AFTER I told them not to. I'm still waiting on my refund to come through for that. We'll see if they follow through. I would give zero stars if I could. Incredibly unhappy with them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Wish businesses would understand that unqualified "techs" and other random personnel can significantly and negatively reflect their business. Not sure why I was given only a 2-week Rx for ** (a cardiac med) after I attempted to transfer my vet care here. Tech tried to tell me I needed to f/u with my "reg vet." Uh... what did you not understand about transferring my care here? The most I could get is a 3-month Rx - and then I'd need to f/u with cardiologist.

I had specifically told MD we do not f/u with cardiologist and only saw him when pet was diagnosed 3 years ago. This is a common boxer cardiac anomaly. We do not intend to f/u every three months to keep his meds going. Waste of 2.5 hours of a visit!!!!! Save yourself time and GO ELSEWHERE FOR QUALITY CARE. And why did I have to ask the "tech" to leave three times, which he never did? Unbelievable! If you're pissing a customer off and they ask you to leave, please do it! Or at the very least, shut your unqualified mouth!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Wellness plan is a joke, a scam. I had my dog's teeth cleaned. It ended up costing double what they quoted me. What was worse, the antibiotics they gave after the cleaning caused my dog to have kidney problems. I had to take him to a real animal hospital. I could have saved lots of time and money if I went to a real animal hospital in the first place.

Also, I took my dog to Banfield for my dog's scratching. They told me there wasn't anything they could do and I should take my dog to a Blue Pearl. Literally, a week later, I get an advertisement email from them about dog scratching. The email was advertising Banfield dog scratching expertise. So either the vet on duty was incompetent or didn't want to do anything. Took my dog there for separation anxiety. I was told to go somewhere else as they couldn't do anything. They're never open when you need them. If your dog needs a vet, they give you an appointment a month in the future.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I created this account only for this company. Never had I had such a bad experience with the policy as well as with the customer reps. I had a bad feeling when I get a call from them saying I haven't made a payment for the past 5 months. I asked them how is that possible if my credit card has funds and I set it up automatically. Of course blame it on the bank, so I asked the rep to process the full payment now. Came out to $500 in one lump; How did my card have enough funds to pay $500 but not the $60 monthly they promised.

The second thing I called in August and told them they are the worst service ever to please make a note stating that I DON’T want the automatic renewal, The guy said he posted it and that it won’t renew. Guess what? Come Oct 17 I got charged again, they claimed I never said I wanted to cancel. On top of that, Now I have a bill of $250 that I have to pay because the plan was renewed on the 17th and the follow up appointment my mother made after my dog got neutered, was on the 23rd.

They are very sneaky with the money and getting you to re-enroll. Be very careful!!! I clearly told the rep to cancel my renewal and my follow up appointment on the 23rd would be the last, he purposely didn't remind me that the plan was going to be up by then. There’s nothing I can do with the bill now, I asked them for a recording of my last conversation to show that I asked to cancel and all they say is, “We can’t provide that, only a timestamp of when you called.” Jesus! Thank God my year is up! >:(

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I had 2 dogs on the Wellness Plan at Banfield a few years back. Other than getting a couple of "well visits" you weren't able to get an appointment otherwise. I canceled my plan because anytime my dog was ill they were always booked and gave me the Vet ER they refer the customers to. I took my dog to the ER which wanted $2400 and then did a same day follow-up 3 hrs later at Banfield who just agreed with the ER vet only to take my dog to a different ER that same night to find out it was something totally different.

A few years later I went back to Banfield and they said they had new management, more vets, and added an extra examination room. I was told it was much better than the years prior so I gave them another chance and signed up again. I had been lucky I did not required any services other than the well visit but today my little dog was having an eye issue. He cannot open his eye. I called Banfield but they were booked and suggested I call another Banfield. I called the next one that was 10 miles away and they couldn't see us and wanted to refer me to the ER they use. Once again, paying a ton of money for a couple of well visits isn't worth it. If I didn't have the wellness plan they probably would take us in since they could make more money for that visit.

Do not sign up for this ripoff service. Even with a Well Visit they want to run other tests for additional charges. The included dental cleaning is ok but they don't do X-rays and if they need to pull a tooth it is anywhere from $50-$500 per tooth, so you just have to take the word of the vet if any teeth really need to be pulled and the price - basically, like giving them a blank check.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been with Banfield for more than five years. Doctors always wanted to find a problem with my dog. The last visit that I made it was because he had an ear infection and developed an eye infection. They gave me the prescription and I followed the directions exactly how it was explained in the label. A week later I noticed that the infection continued in both his ear and his eye. When I checked what kind of medicine they gave me I noticed that the one that it was for the eye they put the label for the ear. I put this medicine to my dog for a week in the wrong area.

I went back to them and I explained it all and I asked them for them to gave me a new refill or prescription because they have made a mistake. Their response was that I needed to buy it again. They made the mistake and I had to buy it again? I asked for the doctor and they said she was not available. Now my dog has a chronic infection in his ear that I think it will need a surgery. I have gone through a difficult financial time and I wasn't able to buy what he needed and they made it worse for my dog. I don't want to come back to them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I took my Shih Tzu to Banfield with a severe itching and scratching problem. Dr and techs were great. While I was there they encouraged me to get the Wellness Plan for her. The way it was explained was that there would be a discount on treatments and medications if I signed up. Couple of weeks later took my other small dog in because of a knot on her chest and to get her generally checked out. Again with the Wellness Plan. Signed up both dogs and began having 2nd thoughts. Called to cancel the plans and was told that if I cancelled I would have to pay the "balance due" for the services that had been provided supposedly at an almost 50% discount.

Balance due for each was about $700 and would have to be paid today. Balance due equals almost what the monthly installment amount for the "Wellness Plan" is. So either I come up with $1,400 immediately or I keep the plans and pay about $1,400 a year in monthly installments. THIS IS A SCAM AND A RIPOFF. IF YOUR PET IS HEALTHY, DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO THESE PLANS!!!! I am learning from my mistake the hard and expensive way.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information

www.banfield.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use