3.50/5
Based on 1,064 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wanted to write a review about my experience with Banfield Brooklyn. We had an Australian Sheppard for 14 years, Bailey. He was part of the Family. We got him when my daughter was 4. Unfortunately Bailey became very ill over the years. We recently had to put him down. The care and service we received from the Banfield staff was unparalleled. Although it was a devastating experience for us to let go of our protector, the staff treated us with such care that the experience turned into a beautiful one that we will cherish in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Thank you Banfield Brooklyn! The ** Family.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have a special needs dog with anxiety and digestive problems. I needed to switch vets since my dog was misdiagnosed at his prior vet. The basic dental here is only $275 (not including the labs & x-rays). I printed the free first visit coupon online to see if they could help me. My dog has broken off two of his long bottom canine teeth due to his severe separation anxiety biting on his crate over the past year. He must be crated due to he's destructive and could get a foreign body if left to his own devices.

Claire and Dr. ** made me feel comfortable, took all the time I needed, actually listened to me, and didn't pressure me by trying to up-sell. I think they are honest and are truly trying to help us. I expressed my concerns for cost and was offered a wellness plan which I purchased. They offered to put him on different medication to treat his anxiety.

To those who have given bad reviews they must not have understood that the wellness plan isn't insurance. Pet insurance usually doesn't cover preventative care. The wellness plan comes in three tiers. It doesn't cover everything but it covers a lot, includes discounts, and is customizable which I like. Instead it is spreading out the payments for preventative care over 12 months. You can choose a plan that includes a dental and can even add the flea/heartworm meds. If you cancel it you will owe the services rendered (makes sense to me). If you charged a vet bill on your credit card, you would still owe the balance even if your pet dies - this is the same concept.

It comes with an app that has 24/7 access to a real vet who can tell you if it's an emergency or if it can wait. I used that app the next day after my appointment and it is wonderful! I like the fact that they are open 7 days a week and the wellness plan comes with unlimited visits since my dog can get into trouble due to his severe anxiety and digestive problems. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to take my dog to the emergency vet and regular vet this year so this will save me money in the long run between the app, being open 7 days a week and having unlimited visits.

Mind you, this Active Care Plus wellness plan doesn't cover things like diagnostics or treatment for serious illness like cancer or injuries - it is just a way to save money and spread it out over time for routine care. Their highest tier plan does cover some diagnostic scans so that is an option to upgrade to if your pet gets older and needs it every year. You have to use the services to get the benefit of the wellness plans. I happen to need the services so this works very well for my situation. This clinic and wellness plan seems to be an answer to my prayers for my high maintenance pooch. This is the one in the Petsmart near Memorial on I-10.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dr. ** is a wonderful Veterinary, working for Banfield Pet Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada. Primarily at the Nellis location. She is always going out of her way to take care of your fur baby. Today, July 26, 2019, my baby woke up screaming. I woke my wife up, and we called Banfield. They were able to give him an appointment, but not with Dr. ** because she was completely booked. After we dropped Munch off, to our surprise, Dr. ** gave us a call to let us know what seems to be the problem with Munch, and a plan to take care of him. We trust Dr. ** immensely with our 4 fur babies. Today, we live in a society that revolves around how much money we should make and not how to help others. Don't take me wrong, Banfield charges us for their services, which I don't mind, as long as we have a compassionate doctor taking care of my fur babies, like Dr. **.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We own dog training and boarding kennels, Angels in the Infield training and boarding and would trust no one else except Doctor ** and her staff! Never a long wait. Answers all phone calls and questions in the same day, if not within the hour. We recommend them to all our customers. We receive no money or discounts from any of our vendors, just so that we can judge them on their own merits. Banfield in Aurora OHIO is awesome!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Banfield has always been great with our pets. They took care of my cat when he had hypothyroidism and when he developed kidney disease. He plays like a kitten now every day at 16yo. Our dog was so loved by our vet she cried when she saw bone cancer on the X-ray. We had the X-ray done because he had a limp that wouldn't go away. He had wonderful treatment even up to his last day. I am shocked to see all the negative reviews. Banfield wellness only charges for services rendered. Since our dog passed we have to pay the remainder of the bill, not the plan. The plan was $60/mo and now we have to pay 47 monthly which will pay off only the services they administered. I wouldn't go to another vet!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Few times now I have had to take my dogs to another vet. Although I pay the monthy fee for Banfield I am unable to get them an appointment within a decent time frame. Most times it is over two weeks before I am able to see a vet. When I first signed up this was never an issue.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Please don’t take your pet here. This is the worst place and careless!!! All they care about is making money and and charging up on tests. Not your pet!! !

I took our friendly Spyro, Labrador. Our dog of ten years. He had a minor limp and we took him right away to get checked. They quickly had me signed into a wellness plan and every month had me upgrade it to something more.

Meanwhile my dog's health was deteriorating and getting worse. I trusted them, did all the tests and paid extra for all their recommendations but 3 months later my dog couldn’t walk anymore and I went for a second and third opinion where in one visit and for a lot less money they told me he had an extra large tumor and he may need his leg amputated!!! All Banfield was doing was giving him pain medication. I was asked why I had waited so long and my heart dropped, I felt so guilty and stupid for trusting Banfield for so long. Please don’t take your pet here. They don’t care!!! They are more interested in selling wellness plans and pain medication!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

THE MOST INCOMPETENT AND NEGLIGENT VET CLINIC. DO NOT BRING YOUR PETS HERE!!! THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM!!! Toby was seen last Saturday Sep 28th at this so called hospital, and after x-rays, blood work, and examination by a 'vet doctor', he was diagnosed with inflammation on his spine, and was sent antibiotics. He started getting worse during the week (not eating or being able to sleep) and this past Friday, October 4th we took him again (dropped off) at 8am. We called at 12pm because we had no updates. Were told one of the doctors is in surgery and the other one seeing other patients, that they will get to our dog later on. We tell them we're worried because he isn't feeling well and hasn't been eating. They tell us we'll get a call back soon. It's 2:15 pm and still nothing so we call again. The one doctor is STILL in surgery and our dog, after 6 hours still hadn't been seen.

Frustrated, we tell them to not do anything anymore that we'll pick him up and take him somewhere else. We get there and the manager Tristan, comes out to apologize and tell us the doctors have been busy and we tell them it's unacceptable that our dog has been there for over 6 hours and no one even looked at him. He explains to us that they have a triage where they assess each dog and they're seen based on the severity and ours was at the bottom because he didn't have any emergency. Dr. ** miraculously comes out of surgery just to talk to us. He tells us he sees nothing wrong with Toby, his x-rays (from Saturday) are clear and nothing shows on his lungs. He tells us it could be an infection but he really doesn't know what could be wrong with him. Since he hadn't eaten in a few days he suggests we take him to a hospital to get IV.

We take him to MVS and as soon as we walked in, the nurse tells us Toby's tongue was purple and was in need of oxygen. His levels were 80%!!!! She said she couldn't believe they didn't notice at Banfield. How would they? They never even looked at him in the 6 hours he was there. After a few hours when he's finally stable, they do x-rays. They instantly find fluid in his lungs and a huge mass pressing on his heart and his lungs. They took out almost a liter of fluid from his lungs! HOW COULD BANFIELD NOT SEE THIS WITH THE XRAYS THEY DID LAST SATURDAY? How could they not notice he was having difficulty breathing? After 11 years of taking him to this clinic, and after many x-rays done over the years, how could they never seen a mass growing?

Dr. ** and all the nurses are the most incompetent and negligent medical professionals I've ever encountered. Toby has had that mass for a while and no one caught it. No one noticed he was out of breath and needed help right away. Toby spent the night in critical condition and the Dr. at the MVS hospital told us for his age and this severity, there was very little that could be done. We put him to sleep the next day, on Saturday Oct 5. Because of the incompetence and negligence of Banfield, our precious dog is now dead.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I took my dog to have his dental cleaning yesterday to the Banfield located in Bowie Maryland. During the dental cleaning procedure the veterinary discovered 2 bad teeth that need to be extracted for almost $1000. I had mentioned to the veterinarian assistant that I don’t have $1000 to have this procedure done so what other options are available. She sent him home with a antibiotic for $18.95 which I can afford. Well today 10/6 I gave my dog the antibiotic but noticed he’s having a difficult time breathing so I called Banfield to let them know what’s going on with my dog so they recommended me to bring him in for a quick checkup in which I did. The drive from my home took me 30 minutes.

I get there and the vet assistant takes my dog back to be checked, comes back out from the back room and tells me the veterinarian hears some cracking sounds in my dog's lungs then tell me to take my dog to the dog and cat hospital up the road so they can do X-rays. At this point I’m furious. This is why I have the Wellness plan in which money is taken out of my checking account every month on time. I was instructed to bring my dog back which I did. The drive was 30 minutes then you recommend me to take my dog somewhere else in which I have to come out of my darn pocket. I shouldn’t have to take my dog to a hospital if I have the wellness plan. If I knew this was going to happen I would have stayed home and not waste any gas money. Banfield in Bowie is the worst.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I had signed up for the “Wellness Plan” when I first got my service dog thinking having the ability to see a vet regularly was good for a dog that was working a job. I have no clue what happened but I dropped off my happy, loving and confident dog for a teeth cleaning and when I picked her up she was a completely different animal. She was terrified of everything! A great service animal that made my life so much better had become a dog that couldn’t leave my home without shaking, hiding and keeping her back hunched and tail tucked under. These are all signs of severe fear and anxiety.

Because of this one appointment I had to retire her early at the extremely young age of 4 years old. (Average age to retire a service dog is 8-10 years old.) Then to add insult to injury they required that I pay for the rest of the year remaining on the plan. Then I called and cancelled the plan at the renewal date. Silly me, I thought everything was handled. Nope. I didn’t really pay attention to reoccurring withdrawals in my checking account, not a mistake I’ll make again, and didn’t realize they were still taking out monthly payments.

When I realized what was going on I called to talk to someone. After being on hold for over 20 minutes I ended up with a guy who was not even close to helpful. Apparently they didn’t have any record of the call canceling the plan. That means that they will only refund the very last withdrawal but not the previous 10 months. (At $49.90 a month that’s a whopping $499.00!!!) Never mind that I have never even stepped foot in a PetSmart or Banfield in over a year let alone brought my baby in to see them!

I will never support either company again and will make sure that everyone I know learns about their shoddy vet and business practices. Thanks to Banfield I now have a highly trained and very expensive (Estimated cost for service dogs from the nonprofit I received her from is $30,000 in training, breeding and medical care! Not to mention the money I had to pay out for hotel and food when I went to a 3 week boot camp to learn how to work with her.) house pet and have basically thrown away nearly $500.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information