3.7/5 (1138 ratings)

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

I’m the beginning 2018 they were helpful for my financial circumstances with the wellness program, Customer Service with the girls up front were nice, staff and veterinarians were very caring. Then Covid happened many changes happened constantly had to schedule for drop off couldn’t meet the veterinarian talk to short staffed which I understand. I could never schedule the days I wanted on the app when I was off. I always had to call in to make the appointment. This very last time I wanted to talk to the vet in person to explain to them in person with my dog. I took her in for Emergency reasons. She was panting a lot, coughing real fast like she was trying to get air, couldn’t pee or poop, wouldn’t eat her food or drink. Right then I knew something was wrong.

My dog was 14 years old. I described everything going on the girl, told me I can stay In Petsmart to shop, they will page or the vet will call me. I was okay with that. I got a phone call in the store, the veterinarian looked at her, said her heart sounded okay, pulled the past lab reports, asked me about my dog’s bump on her leg and the right side of her hip. I explained to her so she would have a better understanding. The veterinarian said she show no discomfort from the right hip when she touches it but trying extend her right leg it would hurt. The veterinarian gave her a shot of Meloxicam for pain. I was supposed to give her shots for 2 weeks. They also wanted me to give her children's liquid ** 3ml every 12 hrs.

I took my dog home. My dog did have cataracts but she was confused, lost, still wouldn’t eat her food or drink water. I gave her ** at 7:00 pm tried to help feed her a few times, gave her pieces of Ham, then I would give her water through a syringe to help her. After hours it wasn’t getting any better. I knew it wasn't good. We were both up all night I kept trying to comfort her. I tried ** one more time to help 1:00 am. I sit her down on the floor thinking she would want something, she would look lost. She walked in my room, went around the bed, it was dark on the other side, I figured she was trying to find a spot to be comfortable. I helped her get in her dog bed to try to rest, she did for 5 min then started to yelp and cry. So I put her next to me. She moved a little bit to the right then started to yelp and cry. I picked her up to calm her down just stroking her head, back hair. She was next to my leg and a small pillow.

I saw her shake with pain 2 times then last one is she took her last breath. Cocoa died 4:25 am. it was the most horrible feeling I could ever have. I just wished I talked to the veterinarian in person to get a better understanding what was happening. It would’ve been better to put her to sleep than to have her suffer all night.

I tried to cancel my subscription for next month December because Cocoa is no longer alive especially cancelling the appointments. They said I had to pay the rest of the membership. Out of 4 years Banfield has received 2,205.20 from me for care of my dog. They will not honor the last month December cancellation without have to pay another $56.95. All I can say is Shame on You for the top business people running Banfield making money off the subscribers and having no compassion or empathy on our pets that have died. You wouldn’t like it if someone did it to you. Maybe someday your conscious will bother you to make some changes for us pet owners.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I absolutely love the team at Banfield, specifically the South Philly location! Both of my cats are on Optimum Wellness Plans. I receive reminders whenever they are due for comprehensive exams and vaccines as well as follow up called after each visit. Alyssa the manager (her adorable doggies), the staff, including the girls at the front desk (Danielle & Savannah) treat you like family! When our pet passed away, they were there for us and empathized with us to no end. Whenever I call, they are always kind and patient, which means a lot, especially if you have a sick kitty and are in need of guidance.

The Veterinarians (Dr ** & Dr **) are my absolute favs as they go above AND beyond to provide the best care possible for your pet. I love coming here not only because the team consists of amazing human beings but mainly because I 100% trust that are giving the best medical advice for my pet. Banfield South Philly does not bombard you over the head with unnecessary testing, they are compassionate about what they do what provide exactly what needs to be done! I recommend Banfield 100%.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

We took our 17 week old puppy to get vaccines and a wellness check. We went in and Allie and a lady with rainbow glasses at the front desk was understanding, nice and loved on our puppy. We went in a room to talk with someone about Cocoa (our puppy). We decided to give him distemper, deworming, Lyme and leptospirosis. They said they may be able to give him ** if their said he was big enough. We handed him to the lady and she took him in the back room you can’t see in, by the way Dr. ** is his Dr. They were giving him the shots and we kept hearing him yelp in pain. They came out with him and said, "Dr. said it was ok to him the ** and we also gave him the rabies vaccines too," without our permission. That night he had a pain reaction to his six vaccines! But we will still go there because over it is the best vet. We went to the Saginaw Michigan USA Banfield.

Original review: April 23, 2022

My cat of 17 years (Mister), got sick all of a sudden on 4/22/22 early morning, with constant vomiting and diarrhea. I tried to get him an appt at the regular Banfield he goes to, but they couldn't see him and had no openings for a couple of days. I took a chance and called the one in Duncanville, TX. and I believe it was Megan who took my call. I explained to her about my cat's sickness and asked if they could please fit him somewhere that same day. I was put on a brief hold, and she returned and said they could see him at 9:15am that day! I was a little late getting there because of morning traffic, but they didn't give me a hard time, and just signed him in and gave me the necessary paperwork to fill out!

The vet tech Steven came out to speak with me concerning what was going on with Mister and he really seemed interested in my concerns. He then proceeded to let me know the course of diagnosis plan they would take to try and see what illness was causing the problem. I was given a estimated price of what the treatment would cost, and I was pleased because I only had an available $300 for this emergency visit and the estimate was about $255. I left Mister there feeling like he was in good hands!

The veterinarian that took care of him was Dr. **. Wow, there is not enough time or space to say how impressed I was with his professionalism, obvious care and genuine concern for my Mister's issue and his overall health! From the phone call he made to me to discuss his findings, and the path of treatment he suggest would be best, including medications needed to get my kitty back to better health! I explained to him that I only had $300 to cover his visit because I'd lost my job, and he said that he'd see what he could do to get my final bill as close to that amount and still get what was needed to help heal my Mister! I was so overwhelmed at his wanting to help me like that! He even came out to talk to me again, when I came to pick Mister up! 10 Stars⭐ #Grateful/Thankful

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Banfield is a corporation that has not addressed my concerns as a ten (10) year participant in the “Wellness “ debacle. Their only interest is making money from the owner of the pet. I have left a negative Google review for over a year which was never addressed; the owner only responds to positive reviews (in a robotic manner). I feel disrespected and neglected by the CEO.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Had to leave clinic for the first time in 7 years because vet could not get my cat out of his carrier. Obviously not experienced enough to deal with cats. My cat can't be the only one that has given them a hard time. Very disappointed because nothing could be done besides sedating my cat just for a checkup and nail cut and the tech that usually cuts his nails with no problem was not there today.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Recently, I made the worst mistake I’ve ever had with a veterinarian´s choice! I got a free visit to Banfield (which was not true, because before they touch the animal, I had to agree to pay $90, to have the animal seen by an assistant). Because my cat was screaming with pain in his ears and with several sores on his stomach and leg, I agreed to pay what I could afford at the time, which was a bottle of ear drops, which could also solve the problem of sores, instead of the $450 they had given me presented after the cat was examined, so I spent almost $200.

Until I got to that point, I lost more than 6 hours inside the clinic and also lost my work day because surely you take a sick pet to a specialist team, obviously you will want to leave there with everything resolved. No! After almost 2 months, my cat's condition is pitiful. The total of $200 was in vain and now I have to spend it again on another clinic, as unfortunately we don't look at reviews before choosing a clinic that won't fail our 4-legged children. Avoid this clinic at all costs. They are only interested in selling pet insurance and selling medicine at twice the price of anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

We paid into this company's wellness plan for nearly 15 years. Our pet passed away and they required us to pay an additional $300 to close out the year term of the wellness plan, even though we would not be using it. During these last few year we were unable to even get into the vet for an appointment due to overbooking so we had to pay out of pocket for an emergency vet instead. This company is a scam. I would NEVER recommend using them.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

My dog was dropped off around 7am for his dental cleaning and my husband was told to come back around 12pm for pickup. He arrives at that time and is put in an exam room, which he finds odd because typically you don’t go into an exam room for pickup, and as he goes in he receives a phone call from an unknown number. He answers and it is a man that informs him that he and 2 other people have our dog (the dog he is supposed to be picking up, but apparently Banfield was putting my husband into that room to buy time?!?). He was in the road 2 miles away!!!!

My husband rushes out of there and gets our dog, who is filthy and LIMPING!! He had run across several VERY BUSY highways! At this time I receive a phone call from the dr, I am at work but I answer and she asks me if I have my dog!!! I have no idea what she is talking about because I haven’t had a chance to talk to my husband and I rush out of work and speed to the area, only knowing my dog is LOST! I am a panicked mess!! My husband takes our dog back to banfield for X-rays and to find out what happened and is told that a nurse ALLEGEDLY “tripped” and “ dropped the leash” and that our dog ran off. Apparently, “protocol” is that they always walk them with 2 leashes, but my dog was found with no leashes, which is evidence of one of their many lies.

When I get to the clinic I am unable to see my dog initially because they are trying to get X-rays and the clinic manager comes outside to talk to me and apologize. She explains what allegedly happened, but it still does not make sense to me how a person working in this environment can “trip” and drop a leash and not maintain control of a 17lb dog that just woke up from anesthesia from their teeth cleaning?! It is miraculous that my dog is not dead considering how far he went. Thank god there were good people around who risked their own safety to save my dog and contact us, they are the only heroes in this situation, as the people I pay thousands to, to keep my pets safe, did nothing but endanger one of them!!

I have 2 dogs and 3 cats with wellness plans that I will now be canceling, as this is the absolute last straw. The sheer terror and devastating anxiety that they made us go through because they failed at keeping our pet safe, they failed at communicating with us and they failed at actually maintaining their alleged “protocols” is immeasurable. And my situation is NOT unique. Look it up, there was a nearly identical case in Brandon, FL in 2020 and another in Pittsburgh, PA in 2021! So tell me again about your protocols? And explain how a small dog removes 2 leashes from themselves?

I reached out to Banfield and explained that I needed to be contacted by upper management immediately and I explained my situation, this was Saturday and it is now Monday evening and I have not heard from anyone, but the manager did call and leave me a voicemail on Sunday- I have nothing left to say to anyone working at this clinic, I need to speak to someone higher than that, but they do not seem to be at all concerned about the treatment of the animals they are paid to keep safe, or the people who spend thousands for 13+ years and have been loyal to them despite their better judgment. It’s disgusting and I wish I hadn’t fell for their money hungry scam when I was in a different financial situation, and just wanted to do what I thought was best for my pets. RUN FAR AWAY BEFORE THEY LET YOUR PETS RUN AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Banfield review. One star is too many for Banfield, they are scammers and money motivated!!!! Run away FAST. THEY KILLED TWO OF OUR DOGS. We have paid for over 9 years for the Banfield wellness plan, $150 a month for 3 dogs, totaling over $16,000 all to Banfield. All of our dogs went to a Banfield vet. Mostly they went once a year for a wellness check and got their shots. So in June 2022 we took them for their annual visit. Our 9yr old dog (dog 1), got a clean bill of health, our 15 yr old (dog 2), was diagnosed with severe kidney disease, which had never been mentioned before, and our 10 year old (dog 3), had a 'Fatty deposit' hanging off his back leg. But dog 1 healthy no issues, dog 3 was healthy overall even though he had kidney disease but his numbers were not spiking.

For the first time ever dog 2 was very ill, he had severe kidney disease. This was the first time we had been told this. We were taught how to give dog2 an iv, and we paid 200 dollars a week for the fluid, tubing, and needles. We also told the vet we would make an apt. For dog 3's teeth cleaning and fatty deposit removal. But within 2 weeks after his clean bill of health, dog1 was dead, he had cancer, Banfield NEVER caught it. After he died I called to cancel the wellness plan payment and had to FIGHT with the Banfield Chief of Staff, to not be charged as Banfield had missed his cancer completely, and it was a true fight. We were still giving dog2 IVs and shelling out 200 a week for supplies, at "major discount to us," due to the wellness plan we were paying Banfield, as we were told.

Two months later dog2 had a seizure in our home, my hubby and I rushed him to the Banfield vet and we were turned away, NO VET ON PREMISE!!!! NO TECH THAT COULD HELP HIM AS HE KEPT HAVING SEIZURES NOTHING, THEY COULD DO. We rushed him to the emergency vet where he passed away. I was heart broken, In less then 3 months I had lost 2 dogs after a wellness visit. But when I called to cancel dog2s wellness plan, it was another FIGHT! YES BANFIELD WANTED US TO CONTINUE TO PAY FOR HIS WELLNESS PLAN UNTIL IT ENDED 10 MONTHS LATER. Not only had Banfield made over 16k, on our payments alone, BUT another $1600 in IV materials. Trying to explain to them how they came out on top, and lost no money, had them in shock, I had figured it out! SCAMMERS.

But, we were so overwhelmed with our loss so we made the appointment for dog3 to have his fatty tissue sac removed. I get a call and am told to come and pick dog3 up, they have NO VETS THAT WILL DO SURGERY ON SOFT TISSUE!!!! By now my hubby and I are in shock, we were told to make the apt and then told, oops we don't do that surgery, and nothing mentioned about who could do it. Now it is Oct 2022 and this fatty tissue has burst and it is a open abscessed wound. It is gross and it stinks. So yup back to BANFIELD WE GO.

They take dog3 to the back and 2 mins later the vet comes out and says, "I believe this is cancerous, he had high calcium levels when we did his blood work in JUNE, so I am going to send you to another Banfield vet. That vet has agreed to see you and does surgery." We are in shock as no one had ever mentioned we were dealing with cancer! We head over to the recommended Banfield vet, and they looked at dog3 for 5 mins, they sent the tech out and she told us, "the vet team does NOT feel comfortable performing surgery, as it is cancer. Too many things can go wrong and we suggest a board certified surgeon." I asked well where is this surgeon? And how much, and when can they cut this nasty mass off our dog. They said we will get back to us, but hinted cancer is not something we should be taking lightly.

Suggested we go to the EMERGENCY VET, as it might be too late. We called a friend and they recommended their vet and we made an appointment. Dog3 is having surgery on Monday, none of his levels indicate wide spread cancer, and this real vet stated his other spiked values are easily dealt with, diet and medication.

IF YOU ARE A BANFIELD MEMBER RUN DO NOT WALK TO A REAL VET!!!! They killed 2 of our dogs, misdiagnosing them, and not reporting all the issues the dogs might have or did have. Never again Banfield never again, I have my last mutt registered with them as well as dog3 and I have asked for both to be canceled, I am sure I will get another fight, but I am up for it!!

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information