Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I just got back from the Banfield in Superior. They have changed some staff and they are Superior...no pun intended. Stacey greeted us and our pooch and was extremely helpful. Josh **, a tech, came into the room. He was extremely articulate, and he just took charge. We felt very secure in what he was doing. Thank you. I have to say also, they had a new dr. when we were there before. I believe her name was **. I felt good about her also. We had been there about 1 year ago with a different dog. This time it was totally different...THANK YOU.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Banfield is a literal scam for pet owners and should never be used at all. For starters, they tell you it’s cheap but you can actual buy pet insurance with that $40 a month crap. Petco literally has a Thrive shop and vitalcare program. Thrive is only $10 a month for a MINIMUM of 6 months and you can cancel any time after that. Unlike banfield where they charge you over $300 for the first few things and even and it doesn't even cover all of their vaccinations. I got my dog’s vaccinations for cheap and they even do exams.

Now to this part, BANFIELD, even after telling them to cancel because I wasn’t satisfied and they did nothing but lies to me, told me I had to pay back the rest of services that I got even though I specifically told them what I was there and that he didn't need anything more than a basic check up to make sure he was healthy, not a teeth cleaning, not a test for wisdom panel, nothing about fecal test exam. Yet they decided that even though I asked them not to do that, they were going to do it anyway. I could have places that done it cheaper than Banfield, but they just wanted the money and did without my consent.

This is why I changed my debit card information and even with doing that, THEY FOUND MY NEW DEBIT AND CHARGED THAT. So they illegally charged my card without my consent at all. I don't shop at Petsmart and never step foot Banfield. Which means they have found ways to get my new information and charged me without consent.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I called August 24th, 2021 to cancel my dog's Banfield insurance policy after his death. I was told that I have to keep paying for the health plan for another 7 months (total $482.65) to complete my one year contract. My dog's last visit to Banfield was August 3rd, 2021 for anal gland expression. He started vomiting and had diarrhea immediately following this visit. I called Banfield back and they told me they can't see my dog because they are too busy and I will have to wait until September 14, 2021. My dog died on August 23rd, 2021 from continuous daily vomiting and diarrhea.

My dog has been on this insurance plan with Banfield for the past 15 years and I paid on time for all of our monthly policy charges. We have been loyal customers and have paid Banfield over $13,000 over the years. I specifically chose this insurance plan because the contract clearly stated that it comes with unlimited vet office visits. Unfortunately, Banfield has become extremely difficult to schedule appointments for the past year and we have not been using many available benefits, such as teeth cleaning, since 2019. I would not have any issue with paying for the policy if I was able to use it when my dog needed medical care. However, it is not justified that Banfield wants to continue to charge me $68.95 every month for a plan that I cannot use and which led to the death of my dog. Banfield has breached their end of contract of limiting the number of vet visits each month.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I have had a wellness plan at Banfield for about 8 years. The price has increased and I cannot get an appointment for my pet when he is sick. I have to go to another vet or wait a week or so which is not possible when my pet is ill. I finally decided to cancel the plan and have just found out that I have to pay for the rest of the year even if I cancel. I foolishly assumed that after all of this time it was on a month-by-month basis. The people were nice but service is useless for sick pets. Beware. Be sure you understand this before you enroll in the plan.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Do not sign up with the wellness plan. You get trapped paying every month and it is impossible to cancel. They do not let you view the invoice online on the services you used and talk in circles when negotiating to close out your plan. The vets do the bare necessity and you are overpaying. You are better off using a care credit at a local vet, better quality service and price will be better.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Do not use Banfield. They do not care about your pets at all, they are only good for annual check ups and vaccinations. They claim to offer you unlimited visits, but at their convenience. Is your pet about to get sick? You must know a minimum of 4-6 days in advance if your pet may be sick. If your pet is actually sick, they can’t get you in for at least a week typically from the day you call, which means you are always stuck going to emergency vet doctor. Save your money and just pay for pet insurance and go to a regular vet who actually cares about your animals.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I've been with Banfield for a while and all of the sudden they said they can't take my cat anymore because she's too aggressive? So I have to upgrade my plan to 30$ and put my cat under anesthesia to give her the annual check up AND out of nowhere they charged me 45$ without telling me, I noticed when they charged me more and I'm stuck in the contract until 2022?! Wtf kind of ** is this. And they wouldn't even give my cat medications for travel. They told me, "You have to go to the pharmacy and get it yourself"?! I'm not one to complain about this stuff but this is ridiculous. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICE. My beautiful golden Rocky passed away. When I informed Banfield of his passing I expected a bit of sympathy, but in its place they told me that I owed $150. on the "wellness plan". I talked to their customer service. I have never been treated with such disrespect. After 8 nasty calls & several telephone calls which turned out to "road rage" They have turned my account to a COLLECTION AGENCY all over $150, dollars. I was never informed. It must have been in the fine print.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

On Aug 9, 2021 I called to make arrangements to have my dog euthanized after the vet said there was nothing more they could do except additional pain meds. I spoke with Carley and asked her the costs for the procedure. She explained the options and I decided just to have her euthanized and remains not to be returned to me. She quoted $103.00 and made an appointment for that evening at 5:00 pm. I took Belle and registered at the reception desk and paid for the services while they took her to the back for prep for the iv. They took me to a room to wait, while waiting an attendant came in and said they forgot a $60.00 dollar charge for something and I paid that. Then another attendant came in while I was with Belle and said they forgot to charge for the euthanasia itself and add an additional $30.00 dollars to the charges!

I was outraged by this bait and switch price gouging and started to leave with my dog! The Vet was compassionate and apologized for the "mess-up" and gave some discount. I will not be taking another pet or recommend Banfield to anyone with a pet. It is immoral and a shame that a business would take advantage of anyone while they mourn the death of loved pet. The charge ended up $190.73 after the discount the vet offered. What if I only had the $103.00 I was quoted? The bait and switch needs to stop!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I am a wellness plan member at the High Point NC Banfield location located off Eastchester. We have been wellness plan members for my puppy since December of 2020 so about 8 months now. During that time I have had multiple unsatisfactory experiences with the staff at multiple levels including the reception staff, vet techs, and Dr. **. Some of these issues have been resolved but only when I’ve submitted formal complaints via the Banfield website. Not once were they handled by the staff. These issues included:

1. Not being informed of Banfield’s policy requiring drop off and that there would not be an opportunity to speak with the vet during the visit before signing up for the wellness plan. (His first initial visit we only waited on him for 30 minutes and had a lengthy talk with the vet immediately after.)

2. Relaying information at check in about specific concerns and questions for the doctor then at check out being told there were no notes in the file addressing this. (I had to ask at three separate visits to have a prescription written for anti nausea medication for my dog who would get carsick every time we had to drive him to the vet).

3. Requiring way too frequent visits including monthly visits simply to weight my dog before they could give me his monthly flea and tick preventative and being told on multiple occasions when I brought him in to be weighed that I needed to come back the following day to pick up the medication as the doctor had not signed off on it yet even though I called days ahead of time to coordinate this.

3. Telling the staff both at the time I scheduled the appointment and at check in for that appointment on multiple occasions that I wanted to pick him up as soon as he was finished so he was not crated at their office the entire day. Only to be waiting for several hours and even being told on one occasion he would be ready in about 15 minutes, driving over there and being told when I arrived there 30 minutes later that the vet had just now started with him.

4. Having to be the one initiating the scheduling of my dog’s neuter surgery (which is included in his plan which expires in December) after being told he was good to not come back until February.

5. Bringing my dog in for the scheduled neuter surgery and an exam for a slight limp for the past week. I received a call two hours later saying he has pain in his hip and would not be getting surgery and needed x rays which would cost around $440 dollars without sedation and that they might have to sedate him for an additional charge.

I took him to another veterinary hospital the same day who examined him (with me in the room observing and he demonstrated in my dog the exact location of the injury) and in 30 minutes were able to diagnose him with a minor injury as a result of a class 1 luxating patella he was born with (which the Banfield doctors had not noticed in any of their routine check ups with him of which there have been numerous). He prescribed medication and rest. I walked out his door spending only $119 total between medication and exam costs and was informed that x rays (which would only cost me $225 including the exam cost) were completely unnecessary. Would not have given any additional information for treatment.

5. Upon researching bad reviews on Banfield after my terrible experience learning that our plan was set to auto renew without our approval and having to go through a ridiculous processes confirming on three separate occasions that I did not want it to renew.

6. Calling the center to be placed on hold for 16 minutes then having the call ended and calling back multiple times before I was able to get through to speak with anyone only to show up at the Banfield location 8 minutes later with two receptionists at the desk both seemingly unoccupied and no customers in line or waiting in the general vicinity.

7. Being told that my puppy had internal parasites and that I needed to bring my older dog in to be tested (for the cost of the test plus an initial exam fee as he wasn’t a patient there) as they were likely to spread between dogs. Only to call his vet (whom I was asking to pay them for the same test to be performed) and be told over the phone that there was no way he could have caught that particular internal parasite unless he had eaten the puppy’s poop or stepped in his poop and licked his paws. They instructed me to monitor him for any changes in appetite or bowel movements and if nothing was abnormal to save my money that he was okay.

I do not trust the support staff at this Banfield (due to my numerous negative experiences both today and in the past) nor the medical advice of the doctors after my experience today and I would like to have the option to take my dog elsewhere. However I am on contract and because they refused to do surgery today (which I do understand and do not disagree with that recommendation) I will have to either take the financial loss (I still owe four payments on the plan and I would have to pay for the neuter surgery elsewhere despite having already paid for it at Banfield as part of the wellness plan) or continue to take my dog somewhere I do not feel has his best interests at heart.

While I have had positive experiences with some of the staff, in particular the vet techs, I have felt like the majority of my experience at Banfield has been aimed at making money off me and not helping to keep my dog healthy and happy. I cannot speak to all Banfield locations but I sincerely hope that this location is an outlier.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I pay close to $70 per month for the optimum wellness plan. I have never been able to get my dog an appointment for a sick visit. I am told they’re booked months out or I can have a “drop off” appointment where you drop your pet off at 8 AM and return to get them at 4 PM. This is unacceptable. I was told there are days when they don’t even have a vet in the office. I am paying for a service that I cannot receive because there is no vet or there is no appointments. They’re just stealing money at this point. Please avoid this place at all costs.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information