1.28/5

1847 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

When I first went there it was ok. Then when my dog got hurt. We worked with the doctor to try to help her. The doctor made she my dog got taken away from us. Everybody beware of that hospital. They did nothing to help my dog. Now my dog is gone.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Brought my dog Duke to see about his teeth as he was getting older and needed a cleaning. Tried to sign me up for a wellness plan I didnt want. Kept insisting I needed and and were flat out rude saying that I'm not caring for my dog so I said screw it and left. Did some research and found out even if your animal does die will STILL HOLD YOU TO THE CONTRACT. Screw them. They dont care about you or your animal.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My 2 cats had treatable hyperthyroidism and was managed but the doctors above told me that my oldest went blind and would never gain her sight back again. I later took to her to another vet for a second opinion and was told that she has extremely high blood pressure of 268/164. Normal is 120 over 80. I asked the Banfield vet why was this not taken care of. She comes back to me and says there is no reason for her to have regular blood pressure checks since she is fine. Oh really, hmm. She went blind, her bp was out of control. She died in my arms on Christmas day due to this issue.

Then my second baby became very ill due to the same issue of extremely high blood pressure and also almost died. She had a slight heart attack and was monitored closely by a new vet. I am lucky she survived. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU TAKE YOUR BABIES HERE OR TO ANY OF THEM. We trust vets to take care of our babies and what happens? They kill them!!! Please do not go there. They also rip you off with the cost of the plans.

Original review: April 9, 2019

When we got a puppy from a local shelter he had already received half his shots. My wife took him to get the rest of his shots at Banfield in El Cajon CA, they suckered her into getting the puppy plan for $40 a month. I did my research and If you get everything they offer in the plan separately you're still going to pay a few hundred more in the long run. Once you join you are entered into a contract (they don’t tell you this when they are glorifying their wellness plans) if you want to cancel it’s a couple hundred dollars... we decided to ride out the 12 month contract and cancel the renew via their website. We received an email confirmation.

Fast forward to March 23 2019, we were auto renewed regardless of canceling. We called customer service, once they find out you're calling about canceling you are treated terribly, no surprise there. We finally got someone on the phone and were told that we had renewed in person at our local Banfield. We called our local Banfield and they have no record of us renewing through them. The lady we talked to called the headquarters and said they have NO proof of us renewing so they would LET us cancel since we didn’t use the services. But won’t refund us for the last payment... Wellness plan is a rip off. If you don’t care about your money this is the place for you. They would love to scam it right out of your hands!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Went to see several vets at Banfield with our dog in the last 4 months due to coughing and having trouble breathing (we now know - too late - that these were obvious signs of heart failure). Vets never ran tests on him. Prescribed some overpriced antibiotics and sent him home. A little over a week ago, the Petsmart grooming department had to bring our dog over to the hospital because of breathing problems. He was given a few minutes of oxygen and handed back to me without any concern whatsoever on the part of the attending veterinarian.

Four days later our dog had to be euthanized. The veterinarian at the emergency hospital (not Banfield) ran several tests. He found late stage congestive heart failure, fluid buildup in the lungs and abdomen, and severe diabetes. Banfield never caught any of these things. If you love your pet, stay away from Banfield. They are only good for updating vaccinations. Their veterinarians are substandard. Their customer service is disgraceful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: April 2, 2019

I didn't know we were in a contract until recently. Sep. 2018 we adopted a dog from PetSmart. The dog was not spayed although they said she was. We used Banfield to spay her. Approximately 180.00. The tech told us we weren't signed up but if we pay a certain amount it will cover the cost. We paid the full amount. I was and am still going through treatment for lung cancer. He knew that and absolutely said he would not charge us or put it through until we got back to him. In the meantime we paid completely for the spay. They were charging us 41.00 a month. I was pretty sick, still am and was sloppy about catching that charge. I tried to cancel and they refuse. People you won't use this service and it is not worth it. They are beyond cruel in their response. We won't go to PetSmart any longer because they are affiliated.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I have been going to Banfield for years as I liked how easy their wellness plans are with visits and vaccines and dental cleanings. I have taken 6 cats there over the years. Last year my cat Chloe had a regular wellness exam in May and they gave absolutely no indication that anything was wrong with her. Shortly after this visit, it seemed like her eating was decreasing but she is a picky eater so I changed food and tried some other things, not thinking it could be more serious. She started vomiting and barely eating not long after and this went on for a bit and I took her back to Banfield. They talked me into a $250 X-ray and let me know that this would be good but that I may also have to take her in to the vet hospital for an ultrasound.

I wasn’t sure if I should just take her straight in for the ultrasound but they told me the X-ray would be helpful. Well, big surprise, the X-ray wasn’t helpful and I was out the $250 and that delayed her care in going to the hospital directly. The hospital found a mass in her abdomen and intestinal cancer and attempted aggressive treatment. Unfortunately it was too late and she declined rapidly until I had to put her down due to her suffering. This was about a month after her full bloodwork for her wellness visit. I feel that this may have been able to be prevented had I gone to a different vet. My cat was only 13 and could have lived more years. As others have mentioned, I still had to pay out the rest of her plan for several months until it ended to cover the costs of dental work, etc.

I have had other issues with Banfield locations and have had a feeling depending on the veterinarian that they are just out for money and do not care as much as they should about animal health. I just noticed my cat has had a lower appetite than normal and attempted to get an appointment right away. They suggested I come in a few days later because they were booked and could not even accommodate a drop off to at least check him. Absolutely unacceptable, I took my cat straight to the vet hospital this time. Unfortunately now I will have to pay everything out of pocket and my wellness plan with Banfield is useless because they are too busy. They treat you like cattle and seem to be all about quantity over quality. Do not subscribe here, I really regret it but it’s hard to switch when you have a history with the vet already.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Everything they do, you could easily get at your local government for a 1/3 of the cost. Also they only do preventive car so if your pet falls ill or breaks something you're out of luck with these guys. They are great about their vaccine program though they remind you of when your pet are due for their vaccines and blood tests. But honestly you could buy all of this preventive stuff at Chewy or any other online pet store. Their customer service is the WORST! I was not able to get to a live representative for 1 hour. Finally gave up waiting and had them give me a call back which they did the following day. Also this is a One year contract so if you sign it you are most likely stuck with the $35 payment for the whole year. Please save yourself your hard earned pay and buy your med supplies online. Local gov or Non-profit is great for vaccines. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE HACKS!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Example #1- We repeatedly requested, from each location we visited, that we have the opportunity to see the same doctor each visit. We've called the hospitals prior to each visit to ensure they would be seen by the same doctor, and each time that was not the case. This lack of commitment to our animals and connection with them from the hospital staff led to two of our animals dying prematurely from issues that should have been caught during preventive care exams.

Example #2- We had a Boxer, his name was Sargent Brutus Pepper. He was about 7, had just been to a preventive care exam with Banfield Hospital in Mission Gorge - 2 weeks later he has a heart attack. When we took him to the emergency room the doctor said that he had an enlarged heart and he was no longer eligible for medication as it was too late. How is it possible that our dog was at Banfield and sent home with a clean bill of health yet two weeks later his heart was so enlarged that treatment was too late. He passed away within a month of being seen by a Banfield doctor.

Example #3 - We had a cat, his name was Skunk who was also a patient and had been since he was a kitten. He had a tumor in his stomach which ended up killing him - again the doctor sent him home over and over again confirming the cat was ok, until the tumor got so large that it was too late for treatment. What were these doctors looking for during these so called "preventive care exams"? We are very disappointed by the services and will no longer work with Banfield. We feel they have let us and our animals down. I hope my feedback helps prevent other animals from dying before their time due to negligence.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My 9 yr old coonhound was ill, and I took her to Banfield where I had a wellness plan for her. They looked at her and were doing covered bloodwork, and told me that they needed an xray which would cost me approximately $250. They said bloodwork showed very high blood sugar and she needed emergency surgery for infected uterus, and suggested that I take her to an affiliated emergency surgery hospital because they don't do emergency surgery. They refused to inform me what the xray showed, and were avoiding my questions.

I felt very uncomfortable and thought that they were fleecing me with the xray, and feared what would happen at the emergency surgery, and chose to go to a different emergency pet hospital. The new vet told me that it couldn't be an infection because white blood cell count was normal. He also informed me that surgery for an infected uterus is very expensive, possibly as much as 9,000.00. She was given insulin for the blood sugar levels, lowering her level from 420 to 250.

I took her home that evening, and she died later that night from complications from diabetes. Banfield misdiagnosed her and just happened to do so where the diagnosis would cost me much money, and enrich them in doing so. I don't know if the delay in treatment caused her death, but I have zero confidence that Banfield cares for my pets health. It seems all they care about is money. Find an independent vet that cares more about your pets than he or she does about getting rich.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We took our English Bulldog in for a teeth cleaning appointment. Our dog aspirated due to stress as the "vet" worked on another dog next to the kennel they had him in. They let him spiral out of control and he dropped in the kennel. They did not intubate him and when my husband arrived they had ONE vet tech doing CPR and one administering fluids while the vet paced and did/said nothing. Then when we filed a complaint with the state licensing board all of the Banfield employees interviewed lied and said they intubated and that two vet techs did CPR and denied my husband did CPR on his own dog because no one else was relieve the ONE vet tech.

This vet still has her job at the West Valley City Utah Banfield. The vet was in over her head and did not know how to treat an English Bulldog and due to her ignorance our dog died. This company does not care about quality care, they only care about how many animals they can get in a day $$$. DO NOT take your fur family members to Banfield. They are not equipped to handle emergencies and they will not admit their negligence in the care of your pets. If you love your animals steer clear of any Banfield "hospital". Do not give them your business. Power in numbers. Hopefully they will go out of business and no one will ever have to experience the heartache that we have to live with due to their incompetence and negligence.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I first went to Banfield because I found a coupon for a free exam for my pet. I at first thought hey they must care since it's a free exam. I was very wrong! Once I took my pet in they talked me into their wellness plan. They guilted me into thinking if I didn't do the plan then my dog's health wouldn't be good and I wouldn't be giving her the quality of life she deserved. By the time I left my "free exam" I had paid $265. On top of that I was now enrolled in a monthly plan for a year with the promise of good vet care. Every time I took my dog back for a checkup or anything I had to pay $100 or more. Even after my dog passed away I still had to make the monthly payments. They only care about money. Nothing more.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We own dog training and boarding kennels, Angels in the Infield training and boarding and would trust no one else except Doctor ** and her staff! Never a long wait. Answers all phone calls and questions in the same day, if not within the hour. We recommend them to all our customers. We receive no money or discounts from any of our vendors, just so that we can judge them on their own merits. Banfield in Aurora OHIO is awesome!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I took my 24lb dog in for a dental cleaning and xrays. I asked at least 10 times at the first pre dental visit, on the phone and when I dropped her off. I was quoted $445 but approx. $100 more if extractions are needed. The Dr called and said she needed 2 teeth extracted. The total was now $768. When I questioned what for, they were going to charge me for extra anesthesia, THE USE OF SURGERY INSTRUMENTS, and medical waste disposal. I was angry and asked why I was not informed of these other charges and the Dr said "So you don't want your dogs teeth extracted?" How dare she say that to me.

When I picked her up, while going over the bill with another employee, I was told, "well it would have been cheaper if you had purchased our wellness plan". (They spent almost 20min trying to get me to buy it at our first pre-dental exam which I declined because I'm retired and could not afford it.) I told the woman that I took offense to what she just said because I felt it was a slap in the face because I could not afford it and it made me feel low. I also had called 2 other Vet clinics in Tucson and they both told me they do not charge to use their equipment. BEWARE, what they quote you is FAR FROM THE TRUTH!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had made an appointment for my cat to see the vet here as a new pet. We were there at our appointed time, but, the office was closed. Will not take my cat here now. There was too much time from when I made the appointment to the appointment that receptionist could have phoned or left a message explain the office would not be open on Monday, March 4. No star is my preferred rating. But it’s not an optional.

Original review: March 4, 2019

They would not see me because they were booked. My dog had a collapsing trachea and needed medication. They told me to go to another Banfield. No offer to help get me an appointment. Barb just said, "Sorry cant help." So I went to a normal Vet in my area. She had a full house and said come on in and only charged me a small visit fee. Needless to say this is my new Vet. Dr. ** at Oceanside Hospital is great and should seek out an office that is more suited for her skill Level. Banfield Pet Hospital is a glorified groomer.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My sister adopted an 8yo male tuxedo male cat a little over 2 years ago. The only problem that was reported to us from his previous owner was that he was prone to UTIs. We had him on urinary health food the entire time we had him and he never had a flare-up. Immediately after adopting him we put him on a Banfield wellness plan. He had his regular 6-mo vet visits, got regular blood work and everything. We were never warned that his levels looked off or there was anything to worry about.

Just 5 days ago he crashed hard; no energy, hadn't eaten in a few days, wasn't drinking water. We brought him to the emergency vet and they found that he was extremely anemic (red blood cell count of around 10% rather than the healthy 24%), had an enlarged spleen that was leaking fluid, and he was running a fever of 105. We ran every test you could think of and even had them do a complete blood transfusion. Nothing helped. One morning the emergency vet called us to let us know that his red blood count - though not back to normal - was stable. Even though we hadn't yet received any of the test results, we took him home. Later that day we were back at the emergency vet because his breathing looked very labored. He was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) and fluid in the lungs. He was just getting worse and less than 12 hours after readmitting him, we had to put him down.

The reason I say Banfield is to blame is because today (2 days after he passed) I went over his lab results myself - looking up all the abnormalities that were reported over time (and there were a LOT). All signs pointed to anemia and the beginning stages of congestive heart failure/hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This was chronic. His blood work showed these abnormalities for at least 18 months, and not one of Banfield's doctors could put 2 and 2 together! In the end, my sister and I spent over $7000 in emergency care, and our beloved cat suffered needlessly.

Poor little Charlie. He was only 10 years old, and he still had so much joy to give. Now my sister still has to pay for his wellness plan until the contract is expired. Talk about adding insult to injury. By the way, this is our 2nd cat whose hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and fluid in the lungs was misdiagnosed. In 2015, my sister's cat (another tuxedo) was showing signs of labored breathing and we brought him into Banfield.

The doctor was squeezing Milo's chest and abdomen and said that it was probably something related to the kidneys or liver. (I can't remember because I was so incensed that he was manhandling a cat in pain like that.) He didn't even listen to his chest! A week later, really late at night, Milo jumped off of a chair he was sleeping on and came over to lay down right in front of me - he was mouth-breathing. My sister and I frantically drove him to the emergency vet. He passed before my sister could carry him through the front door. The vet said his lungs were full of fluid.

I can't imagine that with our two deceased cats and all the other horror stories on this forum that all of this is simply coincidence. I think Banfield is extremely negligent in how they treat (and especially diagnose) the animals in their care. My own cat has been on a Banfield wellness plan since she was 6 months old (she's now 12 years old). I'm not even going to wait for her plan to expire. I'm going to get her in with a reputable, local vet before Banfield misdiagnoses her, too. Or worse.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

If you miss a payment they will charge upwards of 50% OF YOUR BILL AS THE LATE FEE. My monthly payments are 29.95 and they charge me 30$$ as a late fee regardless of whether it's 1 day or 5 days late for a total of 59.95$$$. It's insane to me for them to double my payment because I was late. I'll pay a late fee but not double my payment. Cancelling my debit card and am very angry at the customer service I received.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We recently adopted a new puppy as a companion for our other dog. We decided to give Banfield a try to hopefully save on the cost of shots and spaying. We scheduled our first appointment, but ended up coming in for an emergency visit early because she had a significant amount of vaginal discharge. First, the vet could not even say vagina without giggling and made several comments to my boyfriend about how "awkward" it was. Then they flat out refused to run any tests, and insisted that this was totally normal. Also, they had minimal interactions with our puppy, which I found weird because when we take our other dog to the vet, they are constantly petting him and speaking in soothing voices to him. After this appointment, I was a little put off, but decided to switch locations and give them another try, thinking that the problem was the doctors.

A month later, we went in for her second round of shots at the new location. The doctor and vet tech came in, introduced themselves, gave her shots and left. I had to ask the lady at the front desk if I could speak to them further. When I mentioned the discharge issue and her frequent urination they said it wasn't worth it to do the test. I am not a vet, so I assumed they were right and left.

Two days later the discharge was way way way worse and she couldn't hold it for longer than an hour. I called to schedule a urinalysis and they told me I would have to drop her off between 8-10am the next day and pick her up around 2. I arrived to drop her off and while we were checking in, in the lobby, the other dog in there became extremely aggressive and attacked her while she was standing between my legs. Luckily, the owner yanked him back before he did any real damage, but our puppy was obviously a little traumatized. Not a single staff member intervened. Once back in the room, they asked what time I wanted to pick her up (2:30pm), told me they would call with the test results, and took her back.

At 2:00pm that day, I still had not heard anything from them so I called. Whoever answered the phone informed me that they had been "unable to attain a urine sample." I found this extremely, extremely hard to believe considering that she had been there for 6 hours and couldn't hold it more than an hour at home. At this point, I realized that they had either forgotten about her or that they had simply let her pee on herself in the kennel, neither of which made me happy. I asked them not to do the test, and told them that I would be picking her up early and switching to another vet. When I got there, they insisted that they had given her a bunch of water and she just never peed. I watched three other people come in after me and pick up their dogs before they brought out our puppy.

As soon as they put her down, she peed all over the floor, further proof to me that they had not even tried to get a urine sample. I also noticed that her stomach was covered in blood. When I asked where it came from they told me she came in like that. She absolutely did not. I have been picking her up every single time she went to the bathroom to check for discharge. I also examined her closely after the dog bit her in the waiting room. There was no blood before she was there.

After we got home, I also noticed several sores on her stomach. When I called to ask about these, they told me again that she came in with these, she obviously did not. As soon as we got home she ran to the water bowl and drank for about five minutes. I absolutely implore anyone thinking about going to Banfield to reconsider. I am not one to write reviews, but I am deeply, deeply concerned about my puppy and feel that, at best, the Banfield staff was neglectful and uninformed.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Took my pup to see one of the vets due to his difficulty to walk. They ran bloodwork and said everything was normal. They said he was having difficulty due to arthritis (this was a sudden change). Took him home and gave the pain meds they prescribed. A few days later I had to rush him to the ER vet because he had collapsed due to a ruptured mass that caused internal bleeding. I showed the ER vet his recent blood work and she noted that his platelets were WAY off and that the doctor should have red flagged that immediately. He could have died suddenly but we were lucky. He had an emergency surgery and was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer and I continued aftercare at Banfield due to my Wellness plan membership.

Unfortunately, I lost him 6 months later. In the meantime, I did not continue with his vaccines because of the cancer and when I lost him I called to cancel my plan and they told me that I needed to continue paying until my membership ended in November and that as a courtesy they would give me a tiny discount. So bottom line, the care you get is not great and unreliable. And if you buy the wellness plan just be aware that you will have to continue paying for it even after your pet passes.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Very bad. Mistreated my cat. Said she was healthy when she has a giant hole on the side of her body which they made worse. I went back, showed them a picture of what they did. Told them I need all her records, all test results, blood panel reports. They completely gave me a DIFFERENT report after seeing picture of what they did. I have the original from day one and the new one they changed to try and cover their **. My cat now is suffering and dying due to Banfield in Antioch Ca. And I paid a bill in the amount of $622.00 for them to basically kill my cat. It's the most disgusting, hurtful, inhumane abuse I have ever witnessed in my life. No animal should ever have to suffer like this. Please do not take your pets there. They should be shut down.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I took my 14 year old dog for vaccinations and they did blood work and X-ray on him and everything came out normal. The doctor even said he was a vibrant and healthy dog for his age. They convinced us to get their insurance for him for a year and told us if something happened to him, you would continue paying for the insurance. We responded "nothing is going to happen to him, he is a healthy dog." We reschedule the vaccinations for Sunday, February 10, 2019. My dog Jimmy was jumping all over the place and on everyone that day as he normally did. He got his shots at about 3:30pm. I was told to give him ** if he gets under the weather. I did not know this was the end of my dog.

Two hours later, my dog couldn't get out of his bed, would not eat, and started vomiting. We gave him the ** and he got worst. We took him to the ER and they gave us different possibilities for his sickness and gave him something for his nausea. We came home with him and the next morning took him back to Banfield to his doctor. They put him on IV since his has not eaten and some other medications. Later that day, they charged me and told me to take him back to the ER. He was admitted to the hospital on Monday evening and Tuesday they ran tests on him and advised me to euthanize him because he had cancer, bacteria in his cells, and a hole in his intestines. They said there was nothing else they can do for him.

My dog was put to sleep on Tuesday, February 12 at about 8pm. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Jimmy's doctor claimed he was an old dog and the vaccinations probably triggered things that was wrong with him. If that is the truth, how come it didn't show in his blood work two weeks ago. These people should be held accountable for their actions. I've spent so much money on hospital bills and paying them for the visit when my dog was sick. Now I have to pay for an insurance that I only used once for a year. This just seems too convenient for them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I took my cat in for a routine dental cleaning and supposedly she came out fine, happy and fiesty. I get a call about an hour and half later saying that she has a broken toe and that they have a antibiotic that last around two weeks ** to give her so she won’t contract any bacteria. I agree not knowing what the heck it is. UNTIL AN HOUR LATER THEY CALL ME SAYING MY CAT HAS PASSED! My heathy 3 year old cat. What type of medical professionals are you? You killed my cat. Why didn’t you let me know about the side effects or about safer options. I don’t have a freaking medical degree. YOU DO! I can’t believe this happened.

My life is empty without her. They literally pressured me into it saying it’s good and convenient blah blah blah. MY CAT IS DEAD HOW IS THAT CONVENIENT??? After the phone call I researched it and found out that ** is deadly. I’m so sad I feel like it’s my fault for saying yes. This is horrible. My husband and I are heartbroken. She was like a daughter to us. I AM DONE with them. I have another cat and I don’t know if I should take her there or not.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I took my dog in for a grooming. When I picked him up they told me he was difficult. No one has ever told me that when I got him groomed. They were rude. Got him home and about a hour after bring home I noticed a big lump the size of a golf ball on his neck. I thought he don’t look normal. I Called to ask if they noticed a lump because when we took him he did not have this lump because I was playing with him before we went. They said everything looked good. They had sent me a picture after they groomed him. He looked swollen on one side. They called me back and said to take him to a 24 hour emergency. We took him and they drained the lump and gave him medicine.

The vet at Blue Pearl said she don’t understand how they didn’t notice that. Two days later we took him to Banfield where we have the wellness plan. They drained it again. The vet there said it was possibly from a collar or leash being too tight. We are thinking when they said he was difficult they had a collar and leash on him that was too tight to control him. He has never had health issues. 4 days before His grooming he went in for his physical and was all clear with health. None of this makes sense. Never will I take him again. Heard a lot of bad things about Banfield. I wish I researched better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I found a very sick and abused cat and left it in their care. After, of course, signing up for the very skeptical PET PLAN. TWO DAYS LATER, I get a phone call, notifying me that the cat is chipped, owner notified and came in to pick up cat. Three years later, I go to buy a house and have an outstanding bill of over 500.00.

After speaking to MANY supervisors, etc. I had to pay this bill, which is absolutely illegal, given the fact that the owner just bopped in and got the cat. I was never told I would be responsible for this bill, no notices or phone calls.

DO NOT LET THEM SIGN YOU UP FOR THE PLAN, no matter what. It is a money making scam and to be honest, I should have reported this to The Better Business Bureau, but I was too busy TRYING TO BUY A HOUSE. Regretful I ever walked into this place. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

No value for the service. I've been trying to get off the plan for years, but my attempts have not aligned with their automatic renewal timelines. I have multiple dogs and the cost is far more than the service is worth. I can't simply terminate the plan without paying more than the sum of the payments - A complete rip off!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I currently have 5 dogs on wellness plans with Banfield. All enrolled at different times. First dog I enrolled there everything was fine and I always highly recommended Banfield, my sister got her 2 dogs on there and my mom signed her dog up there due to me telling them it was great. When I signed up my 2nd dog there all was well. However, they did not sign him up under the same account as my other dog which has created problems every time I visit there and try and make appointments. It always takes them 5 minutes just to locate his account. I've asked if they can add him in with the other dog and they say it doesn't work like that. I would have to cancel his account and start it up again. Joined with the other dog and would have to pay the $75 initiation fee AGAIN even though it was their error to begin with.

Fast forward, my boyfriend got a dog and signed him up there and they offered the wellness plan that included neutering but that it needed to be done within the first year. So the neutering was being billed every month for a year. He didn't end up doing it within the first year, which is 100% on us. But when I called to inquire about it I was told there was no way to do it now, the year had passed. So even though we paid for him to be neutered they won't do it nor refund us any. I asked why it needed to be done within a year and the answer was that's just how the system works. When the contract renews nothing rolls over to the following year. So while we are 100% at fault for not getting it done, there is no real reason as to why they have the plans set up this way, except to make more money. Everything else about them is usually pretty standard, but their practices are questionable.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

For those who know recently our cat got sick and has now passed away. Banfield Pet Hospital doctor gave my cat a medication that should only be used in dogs. This negligence from this doctor caused my cat to have liver failure and recently pass away. They have declined to own what they have done nor repay for the cost of the hospital bills due to this and now I have lost one of my pets. Do not go to Banfield Pet Hospital on San Pablo!!! We will miss our little Hopper!

Update: My cat was on a wellness plan with Banfield. I took him there from the beginning at 2 months old. They had given him 3 prior checks and his shots. I was told he was a healthy cat up to this point. I was given the clear from his first appointment. They are claiming that he could have had an issue from the beginning and would not have known. This was their response to the hospital vet. They refuse to own this or pay me back. The med they gave him 5 rounds of is called **. Never allow them to give your cat this!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Our pet died more than 8 months ago and we are still paying Banfield health insurance. Nevermind the fact that the only time our pet needed a vet was when he suddenly got sick at an age of 10. It was a Saturday and even though we live in a metropolitan area, there was no help from Banfield. I call around and the few places that were open on a Saturday, was already fully booked. I ended up having to go to an emergency vet instead.

After our pet died, I tried to cancel my plan. Banfield makes it very difficult to cancel a plan. On the website you can only set your plan to not renew for the next year, which meant I had to pay Banfield another 10 months. Everything else requires a phone call. They have limited phone hours and long waits. When we finally got a hold of someone at the Banfield office, they promised to terminate the plan immediately, but they never did. They just set it not to renew, which means I have been paying health insurance for a dead dog for the last 8 months. They did send a condolences letter, which means they are aware that our pet has died, but find it acceptable to keep charging us. Bottomline: - Don't use Banfield, if your pet has the audacity of getting sick in a weekend. - Be aware of sleazy cancelation tactics. Making it difficult to cancel a plan, is the sure tell of a company you should NOT do business with.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I took my dog into Banfield on Truxel in Sacramento in October, she was diagnosed with Pancreatitis, they prescribed a med that was pill form even though I told them that I have a problem giving my dog pills, it didn't matter to them, I could not get the meds in her, I called to leave a message for the Vet who never bothered to call me back, and she almost died on me that evening. I went in the next morning and told Jessica what happened, she immediately called in a prescription for a pharmacy to do it in liquid form...and it worked and she got better. I called and left messages to speak to the Vet and to this day which is February 2019, and I took my dog in October 2018 have I heard a damn word from them.

I called to cancel my wellness plan and they said they cannot do that, I have emailed and called the corporate office and have never got a response from no one as to why I have to continue to pay for something that I will never walk into any of their Bandfields again with any pet I own...DO NOT USE BANFIELD IF YOU LOVE YOUR PETS AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A WELLNESS PLAN. IT IS A RIP OFF.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information