1.21/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 8, 2017

1658 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I just put my second cat on a wellness plan and took him back in for a follow-up and antibiotic injection. They told me that in addition to the charge for the antibiotic, there would be an additional $60 fee to anesthetize the cat to give him the injection. HMMM. Give an injection to anesthetize the cat to give him another injection. Poor bedside manners. Staff is both rude and incompetent. They try to up-sale everything as the employees (at least the vets) get 10% of the cost of any up-sale. I won't waste my time writing more--though I could. Just don't go there.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been with Banfield over 7 years. Although I like the pet hospitals that we have been to, I am very disappointed in their pet insurance. I moved from NY to North Carolina 13 months ago and called Banfield about 4 months ago when I realized that NC prices are cheaper, they have been overcharging me $12 every month that I've lived here.

When I called to change my monthly fee, they told me that I don't have a contract, but they still have to charge me NY prices. I told them to have a manager call me so we can discuss this further. A manager did call and left a message, but I was not able to answer the phone, I was at work. When I called back (several times), nobody got back to me. They owe me $156 for all the times they collected more from me, have not returned it, and have the nerve to continue to bill me, without a contract. Now a collection agency is going after me for $125. Banfield and the collection agency have my correct and current address as well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Do NOT do this!!! If you try to cancel because your daughter needs a wheelchair they say you owe them $400 for one visit!!! Plus you still have to pay something when you take them in! Biggest con EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Brought our dog into Banfield Encinitas to Dr. Julie **. After our dog awoke from surgery we found that he had been severely abused by Ms. Julie ** from Vermont. She removed 18 of his teeth without our permission then attempted to bill us over 1k dollars! She used a sharp wrench type instrument to open his gums and jaw. Never stitched him up! He was left crying in agony, given no pain meds, handed to us like a piece of trash, and when I called to say he wasn't doing well, lethargic and unable to eat she laughed about it! There's a petition to have her removed from practice as she has misdiagnosed several dogs with her narcissistic personality & the dogs have died. She has no remorse and we have now a over 1k bill to pay on top of a dog who was abused so badly his gums are still swollen and unable to eat as well. A young dog might I add.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I bought a wellness plan with the spay included for my dog. After deciding to wait for her to have a heat cycle before getting the spay done, we ran into problems. If the dog is older than 6 months when receiving the spay then the cost jumps significantly. Most other locations increase the costs due to weight, not age. My dog weighed the same at 8 months as she did 5 months. After refusing to pay more for a service I had already paid for, I tried getting a refund for the spay. They WILL NOT refund you for services not used. Stay far away from Banfield. Their customer service is a joke. And after all this they automatically renewed my account AFTER I told them not to. I'm still waiting on my refund to come through for that. We'll see if they follow through. I would give zero stars if I could. Incredibly unhappy with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Wish businesses would understand that unqualified "techs" and other random personnel can significantly and negatively reflect their business. Not sure why I was given only a 2-week Rx for ** (a cardiac med) after I attempted to transfer my vet care here. Tech tried to tell me I needed to f/u with my "reg vet." Uh... what did you not understand about transferring my care here? The most I could get is a 3-month Rx - and then I'd need to f/u with cardiologist.

I had specifically told MD we do not f/u with cardiologist and only saw him when pet was diagnosed 3 years ago. This is a common boxer cardiac anomaly. We do not intend to f/u every three months to keep his meds going. Waste of 2.5 hours of a visit!!!!! Save yourself time and GO ELSEWHERE FOR QUALITY CARE. And why did I have to ask the "tech" to leave three times, which he never did? Unbelievable! If you're pissing a customer off and they ask you to leave, please do it! Or at the very least, shut your unqualified mouth!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Wellness plan is a joke, a scam. I had my dog's teeth cleaned. It ended up costing double what they quoted me. What was worse, the antibiotics they gave after the cleaning caused my dog to have kidney problems. I had to take him to a real animal hospital. I could have saved lots of time and money if I went to a real animal hospital in the first place.

Also, I took my dog to Banfield for my dog's scratching. They told me there wasn't anything they could do and I should take my dog to a Blue Pearl. Literally, a week later, I get an advertisement email from them about dog scratching. The email was advertising Banfield dog scratching expertise. So either the vet on duty was incompetent or didn't want to do anything. Took my dog there for separation anxiety. I was told to go somewhere else as they couldn't do anything. They're never open when you need them. If your dog needs a vet, they give you an appointment a month in the future.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I created this account only for this company. Never had I had such a bad experience with the policy as well as with the customer reps. I had a bad feeling when I get a call from them saying I haven't made a payment for the past 5 months. I asked them how is that possible if my credit card has funds and I set it up automatically. Of course blame it on the bank, so I asked the rep to process the full payment now. Came out to $500 in one lump; How did my card have enough funds to pay $500 but not the $60 monthly they promised.

The second thing I called in August and told them they are the worst service ever to please make a note stating that I DON’T want the automatic renewal, The guy said he posted it and that it won’t renew. Guess what? Come Oct 17 I got charged again, they claimed I never said I wanted to cancel. On top of that, Now I have a bill of $250 that I have to pay because the plan was renewed on the 17th and the follow up appointment my mother made after my dog got neutered, was on the 23rd.

They are very sneaky with the money and getting you to re-enroll. Be very careful!!! I clearly told the rep to cancel my renewal and my follow up appointment on the 23rd would be the last, he purposely didn't remind me that the plan was going to be up by then. There’s nothing I can do with the bill now, I asked them for a recording of my last conversation to show that I asked to cancel and all they say is, “We can’t provide that, only a timestamp of when you called.” Jesus! Thank God my year is up! >:(

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I had 2 dogs on the Wellness Plan at Banfield a few years back. Other than getting a couple of "well visits" you weren't able to get an appointment otherwise. I canceled my plan because anytime my dog was ill they were always booked and gave me the Vet ER they refer the customers to. I took my dog to the ER which wanted $2400 and then did a same day follow-up 3 hrs later at Banfield who just agreed with the ER vet only to take my dog to a different ER that same night to find out it was something totally different.

A few years later I went back to Banfield and they said they had new management, more vets, and added an extra examination room. I was told it was much better than the years prior so I gave them another chance and signed up again. I had been lucky I did not required any services other than the well visit but today my little dog was having an eye issue. He cannot open his eye. I called Banfield but they were booked and suggested I call another Banfield. I called the next one that was 10 miles away and they couldn't see us and wanted to refer me to the ER they use. Once again, paying a ton of money for a couple of well visits isn't worth it. If I didn't have the wellness plan they probably would take us in since they could make more money for that visit.

Do not sign up for this ripoff service. Even with a Well Visit they want to run other tests for additional charges. The included dental cleaning is ok but they don't do X-rays and if they need to pull a tooth it is anywhere from $50-$500 per tooth, so you just have to take the word of the vet if any teeth really need to be pulled and the price - basically, like giving them a blank check.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been with Banfield for more than five years. Doctors always wanted to find a problem with my dog. The last visit that I made it was because he had an ear infection and developed an eye infection. They gave me the prescription and I followed the directions exactly how it was explained in the label. A week later I noticed that the infection continued in both his ear and his eye. When I checked what kind of medicine they gave me I noticed that the one that it was for the eye they put the label for the ear. I put this medicine to my dog for a week in the wrong area.

I went back to them and I explained it all and I asked them for them to gave me a new refill or prescription because they have made a mistake. Their response was that I needed to buy it again. They made the mistake and I had to buy it again? I asked for the doctor and they said she was not available. Now my dog has a chronic infection in his ear that I think it will need a surgery. I have gone through a difficult financial time and I wasn't able to buy what he needed and they made it worse for my dog. I don't want to come back to them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I took my Shih Tzu to Banfield with a severe itching and scratching problem. Dr and techs were great. While I was there they encouraged me to get the Wellness Plan for her. The way it was explained was that there would be a discount on treatments and medications if I signed up. Couple of weeks later took my other small dog in because of a knot on her chest and to get her generally checked out. Again with the Wellness Plan. Signed up both dogs and began having 2nd thoughts. Called to cancel the plans and was told that if I cancelled I would have to pay the "balance due" for the services that had been provided supposedly at an almost 50% discount.

Balance due for each was about $700 and would have to be paid today. Balance due equals almost what the monthly installment amount for the "Wellness Plan" is. So either I come up with $1,400 immediately or I keep the plans and pay about $1,400 a year in monthly installments. THIS IS A SCAM AND A RIPOFF. IF YOUR PET IS HEALTHY, DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO THESE PLANS!!!! I am learning from my mistake the hard and expensive way.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

The Banfield Pet Hospital in Independence, MO is a great place to visit. The receptionist, technician, and vets are all wonderful. I have two cats, one is a two y/o and the other is 3 months. I only have the wellness plan for the 3 month kitten as he had a rough upbringing in life and needed extra medications. Some people complain about the wellness plans and feeling taken advantage of BUT you need to read the entire contract because it is in fact, a contract.

The nice thing is that since the kitten needed so many visits I was not charged $70 each time. Please do research about other options before you sign up with the contract because other vets maybe offer less money for shots and spaying/neutering. My 2 y/o I took to low cost clinics but that was because she was healthy and only needed the minimum.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I have been going to Banfield in Willoughby Ohio. I have had my dog on the wellness plan since she was 6 months old. She is now going on 4 years old. She just had an annual checkup several weeks ago and now I noticed a strange lump on her shoulder. I called Banfield and they said the earliest in room appointment was over 3 weeks from that day. I made the appointment but I said I would call if the lump changed. A week later I was concerned about it and called them again. They said there was a drop off appointment the next week so I took that appointment. I don't like to leave my pet because she has separation anxiety, so I figured I would just sit in the waiting room with her until the vet had time to check out the lump. I arrived at *8:30 in the morning figuring I would be there until noon. I told the receptionist that I preferred to stay in the waiting room with my pet until the vet had time to look at her.

All of a sudden you would think that I had really hit a nerve with that vet, She sent the receptionist out to tell me that she wouldn't even guarantee that she would be able to see my pet that day because she was so busy and that if I would leave my pet there all day she might have a chance to see her before they closed. I absolutely refused to allow my pet to sit in a cage for the whole day surrounded by sick animals and not even being sure that she would be seen by the vet. I am disgusted by the way I was treated there. When they made that appointment they said it usually takes a couple of hours.

I cannot understand why it suddenly was impossible for the vet to see my dog unless they were hiding something. Maybe I was just too particular about how my pet would be treated in that place so they didn't want me there. It makes me sick to read these reviews now and I'm stuck for another year of their rip off wellness plan. They do not really care about the animal. Their only thought is about what procedures they can sell to you.

I also had a tragic loss of my last dog. He was solid and strong until I started to take him to Banfield. First they said he had protein in his urine. They gave him antibiotic and other meds but he never was the same. Then that vet left the company and the next one told me that he had leukemia. And because it was advanced there wasn't much we could do. He died 2 months later. I'll never know for sure just what happened but he was only 13 years old and he was really well cared for. It's very rare that a dog gets leukemia so I never will know exactly what happened to him. I just don't want that kind of thing to happen to this one.

I see in these complaints, that the corporation is very mean about cancelling the contract. They trick you into renewing because it renews automatically. You get sucked in because it's hard to remember when the contract started. I have it marked on next years calendar. Stay away from Banfield on Euclid Avenue in Willoughby Ohio.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

While looking for pet insurance online I found Banfield Pet Hospital. They said they were offering a free office visit for new clients. Being in financial trouble at this point we figured why not make the appointment and go from there. We purchased a wellness plan that seemed to turn into a nightmare that we wanted to get rid of the very next day. Banfield agreement was, cancel within 4 days, get your money back. But that's not how it went. I called the next day to cancel and not only did they keep my $188.90, but they charged me another $80.00 apparently for canceling. They did nothing but a normal exam. What they are not telling the new clients is if you do not purchase a wellness plan you have to pay for that so called FREE office visit.

I'm out almost $300.00 and they don't care. People like myself need to be wary of; if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, walk the other way. Also not very clean in there. I had to clean blood off the floor so that my 2 pugs didn't come in contact with it. Not a good pet hospital in my opinion. Also at the time I was deciding about purchasing a wellness plan the tech made so many mistakes in pricing. I just want my money back, Now I can’t take my dogs somewhere else because Banfield took all of our money. They may be rich, but we are not.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

On October 11 I had called Banfield, in Rancho Cucamonga, CA regarding my fur baby Maltipoo 7 yrs old who was not eating, urinating a lot and just drinking water. Per the receptionist suggested that to bring her in the following morning at 7 am, I did. By 10 am I didn't hear from Banfield so I called. Doctor had back to back surgery and my fur baby will be seen as soon as the doctor can, meanwhile my baby is sick and stuck in their kennel with no medical attention? The tech said my dog is eating and drinking well (that's odd?). So I ask her, "What did you give her to eat?" She said a cookie and water. Unbelievable, I said I know for a fact my dog didn't eat a cookie she has no appetite and she is only drinking water, she said that's what she been told. I in turn stated if the doctor doesn't see her within the hour I will pick her up and take her to another vet. Omg... liars.

I called back and was told that the doctor was examining her and wait for the doctor to call me. First of all the doctor NEVER CALLED ME! The tech called me stating I can pick her up, she only has eye infection in which the doctor prescribe ointment $35.00 then additionally the doctor would like to do an exam that will cost $40 something and finally antibiotics for upset stomach $70 something. I ask her if the doctor do urinalysis? She said no, and I said, "Why not?" Technician said, "I'll call you right back." Not until 40minutes later that my lil dog urine came out with Diabetes Mellitus with her ketone level extremely high.

I said what are my options and finally the doctor gets on the line and said it will run anywhere from 600 to over $1,000.00 depending the severity of her levels. If I can't afford it I can either borrow or try a charity to cover the expense. I said money was not the problem that I want it the best for her. She said I can pick my dog up and bring back in the morning they have no hospital care at their facility so I did. The receptionist said to me that my dog needs to use the restroom cause she was in the kennel for almost 11 hours, unbelievable. No one let my dog out to use the restroom? No it's a liability. Now I'm beyond my limits. She brings my dogs. She look worst then when I took her in earlier in the morning. She was lethargic and no medication to take home.

Now it's late in the evening my poor baby does not want any food or water. By 11:30 pm she was completely lethargic and by two in the morning she was vomiting bile her stomach is empty. Then at 4:30 am she was breathing really heavy then it stop. I thought, "Oh no. She passed," then I check her was alive. Then by 8:30 now she was vomiting and foaming. I called a vet near me and she was euthanize on Friday morning. I'm so loss with words my heart is broken and I had to buried her all in one day. Banfield did call me if I was still bring her in at 12:00 pm. Seriously! We should file a class action suit against the Banfield. Banfield has to pay for all of their misdeeds. It will never bring my baby back! But I will not stop until someone see their misdeeds!!! Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been with Banfield for 3 years. I took the plan based on their recommendations. There are a few issues I found here and surfaced in my last appointment. First, my dog was said she have a murmur. Shortly after that visit it was said she didnt. Fast forward two or so years... She has a murmur and it is recommended to see a specialist. I was told to get the EKG. Not part of my plan. She also had back pain and needed and x-ray. Again - not part of my plan. I find out that I can increase the plan per CST and when I went to do it, the doctor refused and said if I did she would still make me pay out of my pocket because I didnt have the plan prior to the appointment. The terms and conditions (P3 #6) say I can upgrade at any point - yet she said it is up to her and she wont do it.

When I signed up for the plan there apparently was only one line out of the 3 full pages saying this is not insurance. For a new dog owner who is relying on a expert, knowing little about plans, this doesnt mean much. They call themselves a hospital but they are truly only a clinic. Hospitals do surgery, radiology, and more indepth care. I asked them if I needed anything else for coverage and they said no. I feel it was not promoted accordingly and even noticed that now, all their pamphlets say it wasnt insurance clear across the top and big letters because they obviously know it was misleading and not made clear that it wasnt insurance.

The other issue is my dog usually has high liver enzyme levels and they continued to take the test to see it go up and down and not do anything for it but yet keep charging me and making it seem like it is a big deal because of course that is the one thing no covered under the plan. It isnt significant or consistent enough to warrant additional medical attention but it is to warrant coming out of my pocket for was seems, based on history, normal Sophie levels.

I now have a dog with a murmur that according to the doc could be bad and should be checked for swelling and today being told I should have listened to the first doctor despite at least 4 Dr’s seeing her and not noticing the murmur after the first Dr. So it is the person without the medical degrees fault?! No insurance and no future coverage because I was mislead to believe the wellness plan was enough. A dog with back pain who flinches when you touch her but unless I paid them cash for the x-ray, I couldnt get that either even though an upgrade would have covered it. Finally 10 more months with a company I no longer trust. Someone needs to look into them! I couldnt get the care I felt she needed and they could have provided and had to pay out my pocket.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

BANFIELD DISCRIMINATES AMERICAN DISABLED VETERANS - @Banfield. Banfield Pet Hospital and their corporate employees have become greedy & uninterested in their customers' retention. The level of commitment to the services we pay for has fallen over the past 4 years out of the nine years my best friend has been a patient. Since living in Summerville SC and moved to Lakewood CO we've encountered 3 major complaint issues where I contacted the client advocate team to have the on-site manager questioned for the doctors' ethics.

Twice the claims were resolved by offering monetary compensation which isn't comparable to my dog's life obviously. The procedures performed were impacting my dog negatively further at both the Arvada and Lakewood locations. The policy at Banfield is upsale everything. Even while your pet is under anesthesia when the doctor leaves you a message on your phone saying you have five minutes to decide to use a new never heard of medication or not. I found that very frustrating and irresponsible of the veterinarian.

Today I've been waiting for two months for a response from the Banfield corporate client advocate team because I wish to part ways from Banfield cancelling my contract as my dog has suffered enough. They don't care about your pet or how you feel they just want your money and I am now stopping payment through my bank. I encourage everyone to look at other means of health insurance for your pet. Vetco has a process for vaccinating that requires no monthly fee? BANFIELD PET HOSPITAL AND CORPORATE OFFICE CLIENT ADVOCATE TEAM DISCRIMINATES AMERICAN DISABLED VETERANS by taking advantage of their limited incomes across the country. Raise the awareness.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Banfield was unable to help out when my dog was dying (no appointments available). Now they are charging me the remaining monthly fees for the rest of this year even though my dog passed away and I canceled my plan. I would highly recommend you steer clear of this organization at all costs. Their employees may be ok, but from my experience, they are understaffed and not very helpful. You are most likely better off with a local vet.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My doggie, Baby, was diagnose with heart failure around June 2017 and prescribed 3 medications. I did see the medications were working. However after 1 month or so I also noticed Baby losing weight and becoming very weak. I took her back at the beginning of September 2017 and requested if one of the medicine could be removed. I had researched all 3 meds and found 2 of the meds were had the same function and felt Baby was getting double dosed. The vet said to continue to give her all 3 meds. At the beginning of August 2017, I stopped giving her the ** and Baby regained her strength. However the weight loss was still an issue. I took her to the ER mid of September and doctor informed me she was well.

However the heart condition was overworking and taking all her energy. He said for me to focus on getting her more calories. Unfortunately the damage was done and my Baby passed on September 23. I feel Banfield (Bloomingdale, IL) did not inform me regards the heart condition enough and did not care to reevaluate her meds for the best interest of Baby. Yes the prepaid plan helps with the office visit and so but they really don't care of the well being of their furry clients.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Let me start off by saying the wellness plans are a scam, and the doctors are rude. When the lady in the front sold me on the wellness plan for my pup, she stated that it included all the regular shots and medications my pup would need. Not mentioning that flea and heartworm preventative was not included. On top of that the wellness plan flyer stated it included worm testing and deworming meds. Well my pups first visit they found he did have worms in his stool so they gave him the medication, then charged me an extra $30 for that medication claiming it is not included. On top of that only one of the doctors at the Ocala, FL location had any kind of bedside manners. I understand he is a dog but dogs do have feelings. They are not a machine. The doctors were very rude and scared my dog half to death. I cant even take him into the regular store anymore without him freaking out.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

They tout unlimited exams, but that's only unlimited preventative exams, so if your pet is actually sick, they are under no obligation to see them. So, you really need two vets if you use them. Them for preventative care and a second vet if your pet gets sick. Their website states that they provide acute care and emergency care during normal business hours, but there's a small caveat buried deep within (when available).

Their vet recommended that I upgrade to the "special" care plan because my puppy has a penchant for eating things he should not. When that happened, I called and was told they wouldn't see him and to take him to the nearest ER. The closest open ER was over 30 minutes away and poisoning is supposed to be treated as quickly as possible. I called and begged another vet to get him in, they did. It turned out I had gotten all the gum out of his mouth, so his life never was in danger, but that was not known until the vet induced vomiting and none was found. We were still unsure because dogs' stomachs empty quickly until my child came home and told me she had grabbed a couple pieces of gum that morning.

I did complain online that their website states they provide emergency and acute care. I received a call from the clinic manager who explained to me that they had been understaffed for a little over two months, and were under no obligation to provide any services beyond preventive care. The whole reason their vet recommended we upgrade was because there was a good chance he'd need emergency care. It was then that I was told they did X-rays on him while he was under getting his teeth cleaned, so we had used the upgraded services. I said the X-rays were to be used if he accidentally swallowed something, not for a random X-ray on a then 14 month old dog with no injuries, illnesses or genetic predisposition for joint issues. So the X-rays would have been used up if there was an emergency.

In addition, she told me the policy was that the secretary should have called other Banfield facilities to see if they could get me in. She admitted policy was not followed. She then referred me to corporate. I called corporate. I had to walk the rep through the website and show her that it did say they provide emergency services and acute care. Acute care did not say as available, but emergencies did. She then compared their wellness plans to a primary care provider. I reminded her that primary care providers treat sick patients. She confirmed that it would be a good idea to have a second vet for when my dog is sick. Seriously? She then stated there was nothing they could or would do for me, wouldn't let me cancel or downgrade the remaining plan because they had already done the unnecessary X-rays.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Two days before Christmas 2016 I took my two dogs into Banfield hospital for shots. During my visit I received the news that my daughter in law's father was murdered in his home. I wanted to only get out the appt. to get to my granddaughter and somehow in the confusion I signed the Banfield pet care plan. The next day I called and canceled. The store was suppose to take care it but 8 months later I received a bill for almost a thousand dollars. When I called to talk to the customer service they told me I was being charged for two more visits. I never took my dogs in for another visit after that initial appt. They just wanted to argue with me. A contract is void when it is signed under duress. I would like to get a class action suit against Banfield.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Why they call themselves a hospital baffles me! They are a veterinary facility, NOT a hospital! They send you to an emergency hospital because they are too busy trying to make money on basic vet care... immunizations and basic preventative care. I am looking for anyone that would like to start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against this place. They have taken my money monthly for several years now and the care I get for my elderly dog is less than awful! You can't get an appointment for up to 3 WEEKS!!! They don't care if you are an ongoing client paying their paycheck!!!

The front desk person should be fired! (Specifically the San Juan Capistrano location). She will sit there on the telephone with personal phone calls, all the while there are 5+ patiently awaiting clients that have appointments. I've had to wait every single time I go there for a minimum of 30 mins and then when she attends to you, she takes another 30 minutes because she is incompetent. I have complained about her to the corporate office and it turns out the corporate office has a specific team of people that handle the myriad of complaints they have! Then they keep you on the phone and try to make it so difficult to file a complaint that you just give up!

This company needs to be sued by ALL of us that are suckers to buy into their "wellness" plan! They are thieves! If your pet gets sick, you are DOOMED by this place! If you look at all of the complaints (prior to mine) you will see how unhappy everyone is!! Let's do something about this now!! Please see Top Class Actions to start a class action suit against these thieves!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I am writing, not to complain about the many good doctors working for Banfield, but how as an organization, all is dealt with according to how much one is willing to pay! Case in point. I signed up for a $42/mth wellness plan for my 12 year old dog. She was the happiest dog and well taken care of by me. I did everything a mother would do for her child and she never had to suffer because of my negligence. I took Heidi in a few times, mostly just to make sure she was OK. What I noticed was that they always commented on something, which could prevent an ear infection or any other ailment she did not have at the time.

I was unlucky in this particular location in Tucson to have to endure a technician who never stopped urging to buy all the expensive treatments they have lining the shelves. Better to prevent and buy our expensive products, is their motto. I am smart and animal loving and would, no matter what, come up with funds needed for my dog to be well. I listened to a lot of advice and was to feel negligent if I didn't buy their stuff. I was supposed to have dental treatment once a year. I kept asking the technician when my dog would receive her dental cleaning and was told that she needed blood tests and other tests (which are out of pocket and unaffordable for me) because of her age, which were not included in the plan.

I need to at least round up an additional $500 for some teeth which most likely needed to be pulled. Why would it cost an additional $500 to pull teeth when the dog is already anesthetized? I felt used at every turn while I was on this plan. There was no sincerity, only capitalistic greed and very little else. Disgusted, I did not renew this plan or went back to Banfield. I would like to address the vets at Banfield. Your front desk's conduct represents you. Make sure you employ mature and knowledgeable technicians because mine was damaging.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My dog suffered a blown out anal gland in Chicago around February 2017. We moved to Las Vegas in May 2017. The Banfield clinic in Chicago treated the wound and gave her antibiotics. The clinic in Las Vegas, saw her 3 times. Each time they prescribed more antibiotics and steroids. A human that takes too many antibiotics can mess up their digestive system. This was the 4th round of antibiotics. I stopped giving them to her because of how I felt. We took her for her 5th visit about this problem. Another doctor saw her and recommended surgically opening the wound again, while put under anesthetic. Then to top it off, he suggests doing her teeth cleaning at the same time, will somehow make it cheaper than doing only one procedure-Only 900.00 for that day cost. We already paid hundreds for the first 3 visits and meds.

We picked up our dog and took her to Cheyenne Animal Hospital. They examined her, and said the gland takes a long time to heal, but hers looks good-It's healing. They also said stop the antibiotics. They should have been stopped after 1 prescription. That was it for Banfield and my dog. I still pay the monthly charge. How could a doctor use my pet to create some windfall of money for the day at my dog's pain and suffering expense.

They were willing to cut my dog, make her wear a halo for weeks, and clean her teeth that didn't need cleaning to make 900 dollars. That was something Banfield started to push when she turned 2. Put your dog under and clean their teeth at 2 years old. I always felt like Banfield was promoting programs to make money, but for shots and routine, it seemed OK. If you want a vet that cares for animals because they love them, Banfield is out to make money-It almost seems like an incentive based sales of their programs-Take your dog to a real vet.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

On September 16, 2017, I took my 11 month old German Shepherd to the Banfield Pet Hospital in Woodbury, NJ to have an abdominal cryptorchid surgery done. I took him home after I picked him up and let him rest. The next day his stitches were falling out and he had major inflammation. I took him back to the vet and demanded that they fix it. They told me he was fine and sent me home. The next day I took him to the Banfield in Hamilton, NJ. I told them what happened and that he only continues to get worse and that they need to fix what was done to my dog. They examined his incision without gloves! The "vet" was squeezing the puss out and then she refused to clean it because it would make the infection worse like wtf!!!

I demanded that they clean the infection and restitch him. They said that they aren't equipped to fixing these types of issues and that I'd have to go to an outside pet hospital. What the ** am I paying Banfield monthly for if they cant do their ** job. I took the to Rancocas veterinary associates and they told me that the incision was about 6-7 inches which was way too big and should have only been 2 inches, the stitching was very poor and that he has a major infection and failed to provide me antibiotics post surgery. They sent me home with antibiotics, cleaned up his incision and gave me a cleaning agent for him. The next day his incision looked better than it ever did. If I didn't take my dog here he could have died. His infection would have spread to his abdomen and I would have lost my dog.

I demanded Banfield to give me my refund of nearly $400 for the ** surgery they did on my dog. Banfield pet hospital is a piece of ** and a scam. All they care about is their ** wellness plans that don't mean a damn thing because when your dog is actually sick the plan doesn't cover anything. They have ridiculous prices and they're all fake ** vets who don't give 2 ** about your animals. If they don't feel like dealing with your sick pet they will recommend and sometimes demand that you put them down. They are lucky that my dog ended up okay or I would have ** sued them for every ** dime they have ever taken from me and every other pet owner.

This company needs to be out of business and I honestly don't know why they still are a business with all these terrible reviews. My parents just took our dog and Banfield told them we had to put him down because he apparently had liver cancer with no tests done. Considering my parents had been taking their dogs to PetSmart for years, they trusted them and they now regret it and on top of that these ** low life scums have the nerve to continue to charge my parents for the remainder of the year for my deceased dog's wellness plan. What ** pieces of ** do this? Oh wait... the fake ** scamming ** so called vets who probably dress up like vets using their holloween costumes. Don't ever take your animals here because they will kill them and not look back except to take all the money you have whether your pet is dead or alive. Now my poor baby has to live with a terrible scar because they have no ** clue what they're doing.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

When our dog was alive, we took Taz to Banfield and used the Wellness Plan. They were great taking care of our beloved Taz. Sad to say, Taz passed away last week. We called Banfield to cancel our plan and was told we have to pay our plan until the services we received are paid in full. We were shocked, we were told we had to continue pay for the services for the next five months to complete our contract. Would never of signed up for this plan if know of this clause.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

If I could sue them I would. My poor feline died the next day after being there to see a vet. I pleaded with them and even waited. They insisted she cannot be seen that day... I was crying and took the poor little thing home. She died that evening. I will never forgive them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Do not bring your pet here for any reason!! They kill pets here when they don't know what is wrong with them or when you can't afford their high prices. I know this because they killed my eight month old dog when the vet could not determine the reason he was sick. Then only after she found out that we didn't have the money to cover her high cost treatment plan for our dog she told us over & over again to put our dog down. She didn't ask us she told us, we kept telling her no. She then told us their method on how they put a dog down. It made me sick & in tears. I asked for my dog back, that's is when she said that if I put him down now she would charge me and that she give me a discount on his ashes, now how sick is that! Finally after they took all the money we had which wasn't much we left with our pup.

Once we were home my dog was in a sedated state & suddenly he began breathing hard. At nine o'clock on Tuesday September 12, 2017 my puppy Goofy took his last breath & died in my arms. I believe that the vet or someone taking her orders injected my dog with something after we told her not to & they murdered my puppy Goofy. These people only care about the money you have on you. Cash first then they will determine the amount of care that they will give to your pet based on the amount of cash you're willing to give them. Do not bring your pet here if you love it and want it to live. In fact do not bring any animal here for any reason!!! Your pet's life depends on you. Please no pet parent should ever go through the agonizing pain & extreme anger toward the vet clinic that my husband & I are experiencing right now & my two other dogs Goofy's older sisters shouldn't suffer the painful heartbreak & confusion that they feel now.

They say that dogs have short term memory so they will soon forget, whoever believes that lie is just as big of an idiot as the person that first said it. I will never bring my pets here again. The price to this lesson I learned was my precious baby boy Goofy's life. There isn't anything that anyone could do that will make this right. The company can't give us back our puppy, there is no type of refund that will replace my puppy. He was just a baby pup & I thought I was doing the right thing by taking him to a vet because he was sick. I trusted these people who are wanna-be vets, to take care of my puppy, but instead they did the opposite. They killed him & demanded payment. I am going to live with this regret & guilt for the rest of my life. People who are true vets are suppose to love animals & their wellbeing the animal to any & every animal lover comes first.

The animal is top priority. Once the animal is stable then & only then do they discuss a payment treatment plan that the pet parent could afford. That is how good, honest, true animal lovers who are vets are suppose to run their clinic or office. However, these people at Banfield are there for one reason only & it isn't the pets' health or the pet parent's feelings. It's the amount that the pet parent will or can pay. This is a sick group of individuals who don't know what they are doing & should be investigated & stopped before another pet's life is taken just because their parents aren't rich. Never again will I come here or recommend anyone else too.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

This wellness plan is only good if your pet never gets sick. I had this plan for several years for my Amazing Grace. A few weeks ago she injured her eye, so I called to bring her in. I was told they could not see her for four days. Thankfully, I found a local vet to see her. If her injury had not been treated immediately, she could have lost her sight. When I called to cancel the plan, I was informed there would be a $295.00 fee because I had already used the insurance for the year. I now have a local vet, but this rip-off company is continuing to bill me $32.95 a month for the next nine months. I'm retired and on a fixed income & this is a real financial hardship for me. Don't get sucked into this. It's a real bait & switch and they won't be there for your pet when you really need them.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information