1.41/5

1766 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Every time my mom would take her girls in for a wellness check, one of them always was sick the next day. They both had a reaction with the shot in the same spot. The last wellness check, our dog was happy and active. When she came back she was not the same as before. She stopped eating and wasn't drinking water that much. We could not figure out how come she was not the same anymore. My mom called and they told her she would have to do blood work for valley fever and or xrays for her hips. She might have arthritis. My mom didn't have that much money to do either options.

We would give Crystal Pedialyte because she was not doing much of anything. It only helped for a few days. In the end she stopped everything. Her last day she was having seizures and no control of her bladder either. We took her to the emergency pet clinic and had her put down. To this day, the vet from Petsmart has not called in regard to Crystal. What really happened to Crystal? How can it be that she was okay and now gone?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought a puppy coupon book from Petsmart Braintree MA as cashier in Petsmart sold me this coupon book. I went to Banfield with coupon book. During the conversation with nurse, she highly recommended me to get puppy wellness plan with all the "benefit" my puppy can get from this plan. So, I agreed to get it as I think Banfield is national-wide hospital, I believe it is reliable. After the exam, the vet and nurse suggested me to gave my puppy a shot. I agreed, so they told me to put my puppy on the desk and they went out to get shot. When they back and opened the door a, my puppy fell down from the desk all of sudden. The vet checked my puppy and told me if anything happens later, bring puppy to the emergency room. Then they gave my puppy a shot and took his poop out for exam. They told me all the services are included in the plan which include unnecessary services I didn't know.

My puppy passed away two weeks later because his fell in Banfield. I called to cancel the plan, then they want me to pay extra $150 for the " services". I have paid $98.8 for membership and first month payment. The worst part was, the manager yielded at me in the phone and told me when puppy fell, the nurse and vet was away to get shot?! I knew Banfield has camera in the office, please looked at the record again, my puppy was fell down in front vet and nurse!!!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Had Banfield for about 4 years for my dog: It was very impersonal experience, my dog was always super-stressed about being dragged back out of site while they did whatever. So I asked to be in the office: Following that service time was horrible: Appointment opportunities were few and far between. (Although the person's that waited on us once we were able to get in were nice and friendly). Then when his teeth were cleaned they gave him too much something and they couldn't wake him up: Scared us enough to cancel the dental part of the plan.

Now that the dental is cancelled, we have been hesitating whether or not to go back. His spring check-up was unsatisfactory: No explanation for lumps and bumps except 'fatty' tissue. We found a vet closer that is friendly, personal, and is able to be flexible when the dogs have issues. We now want to cancel the Banfield plan effective of our original contract date but they are charging us an extra 9 months because they say our plan date changed when we cancelled the dental (when they almost killed our dog). We will not use the service in the next 9 months: We don't trust them but they insist on getting the free money after their poor dental performance. It seems like a good plan on the outset, but you get mixed in with the masses and if you want personal, quality service for your animals go somewhere else!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I had been with Banfield for 22 years. I had just renewed my plan for my three dogs. One of them became ill so I took him in. He had diarrhea and hadn't eaten in a couple of days. They did blood work and his liver enzymes were elevated. The vet said that he would need an ultrasound. I had lost my Yorker about six years prior to liver cancer, and they had performed an ultrasound, and it was also on their brochure and their website. My sister also had her dog at the same Banfield four months prior and her dog had an ultrasound as well. So I decided to up his plan noting the ultrasound would be included, and my plan would be an extra $15 per month.

Once I signed everything I was told that they don’t do ultrasounds. What? They don’t do ultrasounds. A basic procedure for a dog? A procedure that has been done prior, that was on their brochures and their website. Why didn’t they tell me before signing the paperwork? Then, they proceeded to tell me I need to go to Blue Pearl an emergency vet about 15 minutes down the road because they are getting ready to close. Ok? So I get my sick pup in the car, they fax over the bloodwork (mind you I’m pissed), and I get there, and I explain the situation and they put me and my dog into a room. They check him out and then they tell me they don’t have an ultrasound tech and that I would need to come back tomorrow???

I’m in tears and they also charge me $320. Mind you Banfield sent me there. I take my sweet boy home and by then he is really sick. I’m up all night, and I put a post on Facebook. I go to another vet that was suggested and had high ratings. I get the ultrasound that afternoon, only to find out that my sweet dog has pancreatic and liver cancer. By then he had started to turn yellow. He’s little and only weighed 7 pounds. I had to put him to sleep. What kind of vet charges you a wellness plan $55 per month, and only provides you with vaccinations and basic care? They are not a vet anymore. They are basic. A money machine.

I stopped payment for all three plans. I called them several times and explained what happened. They were very sympathetic. But they did nothing. They still wanted my money. For a full year. Even though they costed me money by sending me to a vet that couldn’t perform a procedure they couldn’t, and the vet they sent me to couldn’t. They are horrible!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had gotten the plan in June. We had to move and couldn’t have animals so I had given him a better home. Called Banfield to cancel my plan in July. Have been charged every month since even though they said it was canceled. Now I’m out 220 dollars that they refuse to give back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

So the vets and staff are very friendly at all the facilities I have taken my pet too. My complaint is that they sell you on their wellness program but do not explain the cancellation policy or how the plan actually works. You pay payments for routine things you think are included in the plan but then you take your pet in for the exam and they do more to your pet that is not included in the plan and you have to pay for it too. And then if you don't ever take your pet in, all the money spent the prior year does nothing. So you pay for a year, your pet is never seen and yet all that money is gone.

You take your pet in for the routine exam they tell you to bring him in for and it is more than what the plan costs and you have no choice than to pay for it. Nothing is ever explained. Only found this out because my husband lost his job and we have only used the plan once in two years. Tried to cancel the plan but can't because apparently I still owe money for a visit I was told was included in the plan.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

On June 3, I had to put my dog to sleep per Banfield doctor advice. His wellness plan had just renewed on May 20, 2018. Once I noticed that I was still being charge around June 20th I reach out to the clinic. They advised me that I was responsible for contacting the wellness plan directly to cancel plan because all they do is indicate not to renew plan from their end. I called the 1-888-649-2716 and was informed that I owe $525 because they ran a blood test for his seizures. I have to wait until year May for plan to cancel. My dog was a patient from Banfield with the wellness plan since 2007 when he was a puppy. I have emailed and call to escalate but have had no luck.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Dog dies and they make it into an accounting problem - I had Banfield's wellness plan for 12+ years with my dog. He passed away suddenly last week and I called Banfield to cancel the plan. The plan had just renewed in August and I had gone in 3 times since then for office visits to change medications and observation. No x-rays, MRI or extensive testing. We had one blood test that we paid for. When I canceled they said that I owed them approx $370.00 for those visits. They take what you would have been charged if you did not have the plan and deduct your payments. After getting very upset with the rep, she took half off.

I am VERY angry. I have paid into this plan for 12 years, most of them with little or no use of the plan, he was very healthy. How about we base the accounting off of 12 years of payments and they can pay me back for services unused. I am appalled at their lack of caring that my dog has passed and even calling in to cancel is extremely difficult and heart wrenching. To pull this kind of crap on pet owners who are mourning their loss is unbelievable and totally cold and uncaring, just out for the bottom line. So sorry your pet died before the expiration date on the plan. Big suggestion for Banfield, if a pet dies before the plan is up, write it off. Pet parents will more than likely have another animal and you will make up your "losses". We had our last dog on your plan and you have made plenty off of us. Stop being driven by the bottom line at a very vulnerable time for your clients. I don't know how you sleep at night doing this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Canceled their plan in January and letters never stopped. Pay already more than $300 this year and they don't stop billing us and calling us. That 'Client Advocate Team' of theirs is a joke (877-500-2288) that make you hold for a long time and they said that they need to 'escalate' to somebody else. Please, somebody tell me how to get rid of this crooks!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Wanted out on my second visit. The first visit, the sales people talked us into an additional charge each month, the second visit, was to clean my Tucker's teeth.

We took him in on a Sunday morning at 8 a.m., they called me at 11 a.m., told me they had finished cleaning his teeth, and had found 4 loose jaw teeth that needed pulled... I knew it was a scam when the vet told me they could go ahead and pull them while Tucker was still asleep. I asked the cost and the vet said she would give me a discount and the cost would only be $450.00.

I told her I was on my way to pick Tucker up and to not touch another hair on his head. The next week I took Tucker to another vet and asked him to check Tucker's teeth, he looked at Tucker and told me his teeth were fine. I called to complain and told them I wanted out... no dice, they made me pay each month for a year. These people in my opinion need to be put in prison, I know of people's pets who have died in their facilities and they still have to pay for the insurance for the entire year. I am glad I found this site, please keep me posted.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE THE WELLNESS PLAN. GO TO ANOTHER HOSPITAL. They are in it for the money, sure they are friendly. Friendly doesn't mean honest. When I purchased the plan 3 months prior I was told I could cancel at any time, no cancellation fee, or hidden fees. EXCEPT they forgot to mention that I would be charged with the entire year, except they split it monthly. Not once did they say this plan is a complete charge, but you pay monthly. They mislead me into believing that I could just cancel at any time and not pay. But when I went to cancel they told me I owe them $300 for the remaining year. Such BS.

I am in the process of fighting this. I will not be paying for this. PLEASE go to another hospital, somewhere else, anywhere else. Somewhere where they will be completely transparent with you. They are salesmen, the doctors seem incompetent, they messed up my dogs shots once. The doc couldn't get the needle in my dog. He just kept poking at him. Please do NOT get scammed like I did.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The staff was friendly. This place should only exist as a vaccination and microchip stop. Do not take your pet here for any non routine issues. They operate like fast-food, McDonalds, Walmart, and that’s fine for vaccines (I hope), and filling prescriptions. Do not ever take your pet here hoping to find a life long vet. Google Humane Society in your area. I would rather you support them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Be very wary of their wellness plan. My dog passed away one month after it automatically renewed for a year (which I was unaware that it did, because I was not told and failed to see it in the paperwork). Now I have to pay 11 more monthly payments for my dog who passed away less than a month into the automatically renewed contract.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Be warned - Banfield is a scam and they do not care about your animal. They are only in it for the money. When I got my puppy, I had looked around for vet options and thought that the most convenient one would be the Banfield at my local PetSmart. I signed up for one year of puppy care (a puppy Wellness plan) that included a neutering at the end of the plan. Post-neuter, the "vet" (I don't think I ever spoke to an actual veterinarian at any time) prescribed my dog **, which I had to pay for. Beware, the plan does not include many things that you might think should be included.

Long story short, ** almost killed my dog. When I asked about this, they told me that it couldn't possibly have been the ** and basically told me to change his diet and hopefully he would improve. HOPEFULLY? After doing more research I found out that ** can be harmful to a very small percentage of dogs, and for that reason a liver test is usually performed before prescribing it. Did Banfield do a liver exam? No. Did they accept responsibility, say sorry, try to do ANYTHING to make my situation better? No. It wasn't the reaction to the meds that made me angry, because my dog just had a bad reaction to it. Stuff happens. It was their flippant response and utter lack of any responsibility that really made me angry.

Another problem is that my plan auto-renewed after the initial year of puppy care into an "Adult Wellness Plan" WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. There was no discussion of this, no signature, no letter, no email, NOTHING. This is a total scam on their part. When I called to cancel, she cancelled it and told me that most customers choose to roll their puppy plan into an adult plan. Oh, so most customers don't care about not being notified of this? Again, total crap. I paid for 4 months of care that involved absolutely nothing, not even a phone call, that I never authorized and they wouldn't refund my money. At least they didn't try to make me pay for the remaining 8 months (I've been reading on here that that's the experience of some people), but still - they took my money from me without authorization.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I would never bring a loved pet back here again. Brought my dog in for a snake bite, the "VET" had no idea how to treat it, she had to call the NC state vet school. I've had this before and told her antibiotics and pain meds. "Oh we have to get an IV in her." Oh no you don't. That is traumatic on her and money to boot that is unnecessary. 2 1/2 hours later mind you they didn't give her pain meds until almost 2 hours later when I complained I had been waiting for over 45 minutes and they said, "Oh we had another emergency before she came in." Really no one said a word about that when I came in, nor did anyone come to the nor to tell me that.

One staff member was very rude and I wish I'd seen her name cause I'd call her out on it. Her comment was we weren't the only ones there. Really over a 2 hour visit for pain meds and antibiotic isn't a reason to be mad nothing is. She doesn't belong in a public job and the "VET" has a night job and that's cleaning the floors 'cause she had no clue at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Beware of the scam that Banfield Pet Hospital / Pet Smart in Ann Arbor Michigan is pulling. I cancelled our pet wellness plan before we moved away from Ann Arbor because they are not available at our new location. Even if they were available I was not impressed by their incompetence of record keeping - trying to double bill us in the past and different people working there insisting on double vaccinating our dog (when she was just vaccinated) and other weird issues that showed their people were having issues with accurate record keeping & trying to double bill us on many occasions. Our bill was paid in full and I cancelled the service so that no money was owed when we moved far away from Ann Arbor Michigan.

Many months later they started phoning me with pushy demands to send them more money and claims that they never cancelled the pet wellness plan. They continue to phone me with claims that they keep billing us more & more while refusing to acknowledge the plan was cancelled & paid in full many months ago. They are now phoning my work, harassing me and refusing to acknowledge our plan was cancelled & paid in full -- while attempting to scam me into sending them hundreds of dollars for a pet wellness plan that was paid in full long ago just before being cancelled long ago. Beware of these scammers, they waste a ton of time with rude long winded harassing phone calls and office visits that obviously do nothing to stop their scams.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My dog was injured in an accident and needed emergency surgery. The staff at Banfield Pet Hospital were attentive and very caring. Even though they were not able to do his surgery they were able to quickly get us to a hospital that could. They even loaned us their stretcher to transport him safely to the next hospital. Thank you for helping Shadow.

Resolution response: Sept. 16, 2018

Because of the superior customer service support I received from a manager at a local hospital, he reached out to corporate and was able to resolve my issue to ensure my contract was cancelled as promised back in February. I wish he could help everyone else, but he's local to AZ. He would make a great customer advocate to corporate based upon his superior listening skills and ability to close the gaps towards resolution. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

On June 19, 2018, I posted an extensive review on the deceptive practices of Banfield Pet Hospital in continuing to bill me for a plan that I cancelled. I wrote Corporate a letter, spoke by phone with numerous reps at the 800#, yet they continue to leave rude messages on my phone and won't stop calling me. As a senior this is very upsetting and impacting my health. I refuse to answer their calls anymore.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have been a loyal Banfield customer for 10 years. The service has deteriorated to the point that I am closing my accounts for my three dogs and going to pay out of pocket going forward - Reasons Why: I live in a metropolitan area with 3 Banfields in less than 30 miles from each other. Not ONE of them can see my pet sooner than 2 to 3 weeks out. The excuse always is "We are short Doctors". If you have a semi emergency or concern and want to take advantage of the free visits, again, waste of your time...they never have availability for last minute appointments or give priority to a possibly sick or injured animal. Instead, they send you the very expensive 24 hour emergency care vets.

Tell me, what is the benefit to paying 42 per month per Dog (I have 3) if I can never get a reasonably timed appointment AND Banfield does not make room to see one of pets when I tell them they may be sick and/or injured. Case in point, today - Aug 20th, 2018. I have a dog at home with neck pain and light bleeding from her gums. when I called, Banfield tells me to bring her in on Aug 30th??? Please tell me they are joking?! 10 DAYS to see a vet for an animal that is coming in possibly injured? The receptionist did not care (btw, they all know my name and my pets) and even with that, did not try to assist. So there you have it! They will take your money but you better hope you never need to get in there in a hurry...good luck and keep shopping, there are far better services out there than this joke of a company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Looks like anyone can walk in at your business and add a pet to someone's account without the member authorization, right??? Well, guess what??? This is what's happening here. Looks like my son or his girlfriend went to your store and enroll their 2 dogs under my account!!! I never signed nothing for them!!! This is not my signature and they are not my dogs!!! Who is paying you since then??? I know I am not. You are calling the wrong person. I have 2 dogs with you guys!!!

Lolla and Bella, the other dogs used to belong to my son and his girlfriend. Again, I never took them there, I never signed nothing for them and I never paid you for nothing for them!!! What credit card do you have in your file for them??? I know for fact is not my!!! Please, have a supervisor contact me asap. I am start feeling you guys are trying to pull a fast one here or maybe even a scam. I hope you guys protect customer's identity!!! I am very concern. And when I try to call your company... 2 hours later until on hold... The phone call gets disconnected!!! I am calling the Attorney General and BBB to report your business practice if I don't hear from a supervisor by Wed 08/08/2018.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I took my cat to the vet to get his updated vaccinations and he came back with fleas. When I called the animal hospital to try to get it fixed they refused and said I would still have to pay the normal charge even though he got it from them. Fleas are a pain in the ** (as most pet owners know) so I would recommend not going if you plan to keep your animals flea free!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We read SO many bad reviews about Banfield's Wellness plan, but we knew we needed to find a wellness plan to save us money with our new puppy. Our local Banfield had good reviews. (You should check the reviews for YOUR location before deciding on them as your vet.) After doing thorough research, it seems most people are dissatisfied due to the fact that you cannot cancel your plan within your first year. To be clear - you are paying for a service and are essentially being set on a payment plan, NOT a monthly payment to cover everything for that month. You have the option to pay the full amount up front or break up into monthly payments over the next year - which is what most people do.

If your dog dies or if anything happens to where you wish to cancel - you STILL OWE money for services already rendered. We have saved over $1000 in the first 6 months of our puppy's life between vaccines, free unlimited check-ups/visits, 5% discounts, etc. Bills that consistently add up to $150-$300 end up being $0-$50. It WILL save you money and has been great for us. Highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Here is our sad story. I just attempted to cancel our dog's wellness plan that we first obtained in July, 2015. They said we could get out if we paid the lesser of their inflated charge, $221 for a single visit this wellness plan year or continue to pay the monthly fee until it satisfies this "obligation." Now let me tell you about this recent visit. We were robocalled to bring our dog in. When we arrived, the receptionist wanted us to leave our dog until it was convenient for the staff to see her. On every single visit in the past, we insisted to stay with our dog during her visit. We left after rescheduling a visit. You would think there would be notes in our dog's file since we have crossed this bridge with every other visit.

Now we enter the room with our dog. The tech tells us what would be done today with us then announced that the Vet would see Bella in the back. Obviously, we said "no way". So, later rather than sooner, we meet another new Vet. The ONLY thing that she did was shoot some fluid up her nose. It was the fastest and simplest exam ever. She asked us where we obtained the dog THEN and when she learned that it was from a private owner/breeder, she asked if it was a "puppy mill"! AND THIS WARRANTS A $221.OO CHARGE. I DON'T THINK SO. I know there will be others who complain about this pompous new Vet. Vote NO on Banfield Wellness Plan.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We have a sheltie and took him to Banfield for a checkup and have been using them ever since. Our groomer noticed a rash on his belly so we took him to Banfield and they said it was nothing. Lo and behold it got worst and we cut most of his hair off. His problems were constant hunger, a lot of water, fatty tumors and weak hind legs. Banfield then sent us to a skin doctor. Make a long story short, our grand-daughter suggested her vet in Rosarito, Mex. Took her only 2 HOURS to tell us our dog has Cushing's disease, gave him a tablet and he was walking okay, but could only give him limited pills as it would affect his liver. Had it been detected earlier he would have been alright by now, we have spent over $3000 at Banfield's. WHAT DO I DO???

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I joined this program on the recommendation of a relative. I thought it sounded great to give my two-year-old miniature schnauzer a program that would ensure his well-being as I was concerned with giving him the best care available. On the first visit which was required for a physical, I ended up putting out additional money for exams on top of the monthly payment. When I inquired about flea medication they ended up giving me something besides what I had been giving my dog stating they didn't have it available. This particular internal flea med made horrible blisters on my dogs nose and ears. They recommended a biopsy. I asked if it could be due to the flea meds and they said absolutely not.

Upon doing research I realize this could be a side effect of this internal flea medication. I decided not to go with the biopsy but instead to take him back to my regular vet who confirmed that this was not a serious issue and should resolve itself in a few days. I feel that if I had continued with Banfield they would have ended up killing my dog. I would never recommend them to anybody. On top of everything I ended up with about a $550 bill because of supposedly breaking the contract. I got fleeced.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Without a single doubt, this company is nothing but a con job all around. Their services suck, they bamboozle you with false, unethical claims. They make "wellness plans" sound like pet insurance and once they've "gotten you" then they proceed to load the bills like crazy. Never trust them, never do business with them... I gladly paid more than 1/2 of my "contract" just that I could be done with these scoundrels! It was worth it so that I NEVER EVER had to deal with them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Having my dog euthanized on Aug 1, 2018, 17 half yrs old in Marlton NJ, they took him while I paid the bill and my Husband waiting in the room while he was SCREAMING, weighed 17 half pound Cockapoo, she put catheter in his little feets. DID NOT TELL US WHAT SHE WAS GOING TO, she said he had small veins, she should have told us first, I would have got him out of there, she put the Meds in his feet where the catheter where didn't work. She was blowing up his veins up in his feet. Didn't work. Then his stomach, didn't work. Picked him up and then took him from me and my husband and said he pass not with me with them not us. THIS WAS CRUEL PUNISHMENT to ANY Animal, and to US. Need to get Chanel 10 -- news Marlton. This has to stop, I Have had a dog put down before not like this, they put him slow into a sleep and then gave him the shot???

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We took our French bulldog to the Hyde Park location. They did a quick exam then the Dr. was gone. The tech came back and told us a variety of things was wrong with our dog. So we decided to go get a second opinion. Come to find out our dog only had seasonal allergies. 157.00 and done not 434.00 from Banfield. They are crooks and do not take any care for your pet.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had a lot of pets and moving a lot used a lot of vets. The Queen Creek Az one is terrible. Have never seen a vet practice that was so uncaring about my pet. They are uncaring and unprofessional. Prepaid $500 for their maintenance program and wanted out 2 weeks later due to their lack of interest and poor service and they only refunded $300. It's only about the money here.

Original review: July 23, 2018

When my dog died after I took her in and she had a stroke and came out from their office limping, it was downhill and she died a few weeks later. I called and canceled my account and even paid two monthly payments after to clear the account. Now they billed me for $155 and I sent them a letter but they refused to acknowledge that I canceled the account and still sent the bill to the collection agency. PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE FOR YOUR BELOVED PET... THEY ARE TERRIBLE...

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information