2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

14 Dec 2019 I visited the Banfield Pet hospital in Killeen TX with an sensitive matter at hand. There was one particular individual there who stood out to me. They cleaned my dog's property to return those items back to me. That evening I returned, this individual brought out all the wrong things but it was her compassion which stood out, trying to comfort me, even made an attempt to remember my other dog (priceless). I did not have the heart to tell her the errors. I felt her intention was sincere. The next day I returned to return their property and gather my correct belongings. Addressed and corrected accordingly. Even donated my dog's black frame cot which I felt would go for better use at the hospital. My overall experience 14-15 Dec 2019 was outstanding. Great team and customer service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Banfield -9718 Katy Fwy. Houston, Tx. Professionals who love their jobs are a joy to behold. So many people don’t understand that our pets are an actual member of our family. Watching them suffer feels equally as anguishing as helplessly watching your child navigate their way through a nightmare of pain. Today as we walked through the doors at PetSmart, we accompanied our beautiful but wounded golden retriever named Nala to the banfield counter at the back of the store as she left a trail of blood with each step she took.

The care, compassion and professionalism Nala immediately received at the counter from the tech and then from nurse and doc clearly demonstrated that they are a talented team of tender hearted and highly trained miracle workers. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily treated Nala like she was their own daughter. I would recommend this location to any pet owner who loves their furry four legged family members. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily are the best!

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wanted to write a review about my experience with Banfield Brooklyn. We had an Australian Sheppard for 14 years, Bailey. He was part of the Family. We got him when my daughter was 4. Unfortunately Bailey became very ill over the years. We recently had to put him down. The care and service we received from the Banfield staff was unparalleled. Although it was a devastating experience for us to let go of our protector, the staff treated us with such care that the experience turned into a beautiful one that we will cherish in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Thank you Banfield Brooklyn! The ** Family.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have a special needs dog with anxiety and digestive problems. I needed to switch vets since my dog was misdiagnosed at his prior vet. The basic dental here is only $275 (not including the labs & x-rays). I printed the free first visit coupon online to see if they could help me. My dog has broken off two of his long bottom canine teeth due to his severe separation anxiety biting on his crate over the past year. He must be crated due to he's destructive and could get a foreign body if left to his own devices.

Claire and Dr. ** made me feel comfortable, took all the time I needed, actually listened to me, and didn't pressure me by trying to up-sell. I think they are honest and are truly trying to help us. I expressed my concerns for cost and was offered a wellness plan which I purchased. They offered to put him on different medication to treat his anxiety.

To those who have given bad reviews they must not have understood that the wellness plan isn't insurance. Pet insurance usually doesn't cover preventative care. The wellness plan comes in three tiers. It doesn't cover everything but it covers a lot, includes discounts, and is customizable which I like. Instead it is spreading out the payments for preventative care over 12 months. You can choose a plan that includes a dental and can even add the flea/heartworm meds. If you cancel it you will owe the services rendered (makes sense to me). If you charged a vet bill on your credit card, you would still owe the balance even if your pet dies - this is the same concept.

It comes with an app that has 24/7 access to a real vet who can tell you if it's an emergency or if it can wait. I used that app the next day after my appointment and it is wonderful! I like the fact that they are open 7 days a week and the wellness plan comes with unlimited visits since my dog can get into trouble due to his severe anxiety and digestive problems. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to take my dog to the emergency vet and regular vet this year so this will save me money in the long run between the app, being open 7 days a week and having unlimited visits.

Mind you, this Active Care Plus wellness plan doesn't cover things like diagnostics or treatment for serious illness like cancer or injuries - it is just a way to save money and spread it out over time for routine care. Their highest tier plan does cover some diagnostic scans so that is an option to upgrade to if your pet gets older and needs it every year. You have to use the services to get the benefit of the wellness plans. I happen to need the services so this works very well for my situation. This clinic and wellness plan seems to be an answer to my prayers for my high maintenance pooch. This is the one in the Petsmart near Memorial on I-10.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dr. ** is a wonderful Veterinary, working for Banfield Pet Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada. Primarily at the Nellis location. She is always going out of her way to take care of your fur baby. Today, July 26, 2019, my baby woke up screaming. I woke my wife up, and we called Banfield. They were able to give him an appointment, but not with Dr. ** because she was completely booked. After we dropped Munch off, to our surprise, Dr. ** gave us a call to let us know what seems to be the problem with Munch, and a plan to take care of him. We trust Dr. ** immensely with our 4 fur babies. Today, we live in a society that revolves around how much money we should make and not how to help others. Don't take me wrong, Banfield charges us for their services, which I don't mind, as long as we have a compassionate doctor taking care of my fur babies, like Dr. **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: July 6, 2020

I took my pet to Banfield one-time for shots while I was visiting Colorado. They attempted to sell me the annual plan which I declined, or so I thought as there is not a Banfield within 2 hours of where I live. However, here we are almost 2 years later and they are reporting $629.00 on my credit report via a collection agency. Those are expensive routine shots.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have read several other complaints in this forum and they all are similar to that of my own. I had the plan for about 8 years until... They performed a procedure wherein my pet became extremely ill. They charged for the procedure, the emergency care and meds. I canceled the plan immediately and they still billed me for the entire year. You've. Been. Warned.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Our Scooter had health insurance thru Banfield, we have been with for several years. I had doubts in the past but, wasn’t for sure. This has been primary vet we took him to, and we have had him since he was a couple months, he was 14yrs at time of passing. Scooter was having issues and he has been since Sept 2019. Banfield said it was CT, he had also been diagnosed with a heart murmur, never meds prescribed meds. I took him to another vet, they gave him cough syrup (**). Scooter would do better for a week or so, and then issue would return.

I took Scooter in to Banfield in April for teeth cleaning and checkup, and coughing. They still did nothing or seemed concerned for his cough. I realized he was getting worse, and finally he was having no relieve at all. I took him back to Banfield on 6/8 and I told them they were needing to do something, he was suffering, weak no relief. They did radiographs, 2 microchips found, so a 2nd one had been implanted without our consent, I am sure at some point over the years we paid for it without realizing. Moderate heart enlarged, moderate narrowing of the trachea.

When I picked Scooter up from vet was given a tranquilizers 50mg, and a pill for mucus. The next morning called Banfield back scooter could not even stand up, stumbling and spaced out. I was called back and told to discontinue tranquilizer, until next day and reduce dose to 1/4 every 12hrs. My baby still just coughed, and coughed, it was horrible. Thurs when we woke up, I called them to set up appt to have Scooter put to rest. I was told they were booked up until Wednes, I found a local vet to help me. I had her look at the consultant info sheet to make sure I was doing the right thing. She confirmed that I was.

So, 4 days and $500 later, I had to put my baby to rest. He was stumbling around, couldn’t get comfortable, and so on. The vet at Banfield called Sat, Scooter was gone on Thurs, and said they had got results of a test they sent off and was offering heart med and what we might need to do, I told him that he passed. He told me I had done the right thing, because Scooter's heart was enlarged and pressing on his airway. He realized that from the 6/8 visit, but instead of being upfront and keeping our little boy from suffering, they just kept the total adding up.

In the report I got said he had been chipped 2x, we only had him chipped 1x, said he had tartar build up but we had just had his teeth cleaned in April. So long story short, I think they charge for things that are not done, and keep you paying out the nose on a baby who is headed over the rainbow bridge. I don’t want this to seem like it is about the money, it isn’t. It is about they should have just been honest instead of making our boy suffer.

1. He had his teeth cleaned 4/21 is /20, but in their report said he had tarter, gingivitis, calculus. Sooo was his teeth cleaned in April or not.
      2. Microchips 2x, we only approved of 1. Scooter was born 3/12/2006 we adopted him in May 2006.
      3. CT was diagnosed in 9/2019, no meds prescribed
      4. Heart murmur no meds prescribed
      5. I was there in April bought Flea prevention, they tried to sell it to me again.

6. The main thing, the Vet new Monday 6/8 that his heart was enlarged and pressing against his trachea, the best thing was to help Scooter to keep him from suffering, I even asked him when we spoke if he was suffering and he reassured me he wasn't. So he suffered from Mon to Thurs for them to try to sell me another bill of goods.

Shame on them. God Bless my Scooter, and please stay away from Banfield.. PS they will change the price of plan and not tell you also.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Our dog was scheduled to be evaluated for an allergy issue and the prescription Apoquel. However, this is not what occurred. Without being notified the Doctor took a fecal sample, gave two vaccinations. What was only supposed to be an office visit turned into a nearly 300 dollar fee. Not only was I reprimanded by the nurse via telephone for not having given our dog a sedative before the visit, I was then chastised by the front desk clerk then scolded by Dr. Edna herself. I did not interrupt this lambasting and apologized for not medicating our very anxious fur baby and agreed to give our dog the medication before his next visit in two months.

Dr. Edna continued by saying she had flagged the account stating he would not be seen unless medicated. To add insult to injury my adult child was then telephoned only to have it all regurgitated once more. Needless to say we will not be returning. I do not recommend Banfield in McAllen. This Vet lacks compassion, patience and professionalism.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I use to love going to Banfield veterinarian hospital until. Will never take my animal Banfield again when all I wanted was a simple apology for them hurting my dog and didn’t own up to their mistake and never received apology when he die. Doctor no call ever.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information