1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

1711 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I been with Banfield at address: 420 E Expy 83, McAllen, TX 78503. Since 2007 every year the service been going downhill. They fired all the good doctors and employees. I been having trouble getting thru on their phone. On 04/18/2018 I called at 9 am in which they open and try for ten minutes to get thru and I would only get their message then it said you can leave a message but it DID not let you leave a message. It went thru their message again.

I finally went there just to find out all new people. I was told that they had problems with their phone when what I really find out someone forgot to turn the phones on and the person at the desk was on her first month there she also told me they was short-handed and the company is not letting them to fill their vacancy. I am now looking for more option for my dogs. The company does not make me feel they care about my dogs. Money comes first with them. I try to give them no stars but they will not let you.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This service is a rip off! If you compare the cost to the annual wellness plan, it’s not worth it. We had a dog that went to the veterinarian twice before we gave her away. They claimed that the services rendered, was $700, more than the plan, so I had to pay $500 to cancel the plan! The dog had a stool test done and was prescribed antibiotics that I had to pay for out of pocket. This “wellness plan” is a scam! They get you on board and if anything happens to the animal, you still have to pay. They inflate the cost of services performed, so that you are stuck paying $500!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We've had the insurance for several years but finally got around to 'trying' to change to a new company. Banfield wouldn't let me cancel my policy! I even consulted with an attorney and there's no way out until the end of the calendar year. Even if my pet were to die, I would have to continue paying. My pet is very healthy. No issues, ever. He goes in once a year for an exam and rather than taking him and seeing the vet, spending an hour or so, you must drop them off at 7 am and leave them for 10-12 hrs. It's a terrible system. You never have the same vet twice. I cannot persuade anyone enough to NOT USE this company! They are there to strictly make money, not for the care of pets.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Big time scammers!!! I’m thinking this is the best option for my puppy think again. I started this wellness plan for my puppy to get her started with her shots. This first year things were ok, I wanted made aware that this wellness plan will automatically renew itself after the year. So I figured out after it renewed of course. Over this second year this service has been horrible. Every month I call I’m to see if there’s any available appointments and there’s none that fit my schedule. I’ve called several locations here in Pheonix Az, nothing!!

Last month I finally had a appointment made only to make it to the appointment and it was canceled due to them being understaffed and underpaid basically. So I’m continually paying them monthly and when I take my pup to the boarders to be up to date on her shots. So I’m just stuck paying for a service I can use. Then I spent 30 mins talking to a corporate rep about this issue because my pup needs her wellness vaccinations to be up to date so she can go to the border facility next week, I was floored when the rep the to BORDER was the BORDER of MEXICO, I was wondering why she continually asked why she needed shots to go to the border... outdone then to make the comment “oh, Sir you’re confused.” This has been a terrible experience... never again Banfield.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Banfield is a huge scam. You agree to a wellness plan yet every time I take in my Pomeranian Ruby for any concern I ALWAYS pay out of pocket, and never less than $100. I’ve tried different locations hoping for a better experience when I came across Banfield in Danville, Ca. I thought finally a legit vet. Yeah right! Same thing always so much money out of pocket. So finally my year is over and I cancel the very second I get the chance. Apparently I was being charged monthly for a spay Ruby NEVER got! Asked for a refund and they said they’d credit back $100! $100!!! They steal your money. Don’t take your family (pets) to Banfield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: April 12, 2018

If you have a Wellness Plan with Banfield and think that when your pet dies they will let you cancel right away - don't! My cat was put to sleep yesterday and when I called today to cancel it they informed me that I owe $153.65! They pay Customer Service Reps to tell you something about Retail Costs - Plan Costs and the difference that you owe. If my cat were still alive right now I wouldn't owe anything. Banfield is right around the corner from my house and I used to love it, now I realize they only want money - thanks Banfield!

Original review: April 6, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would! We had issues with our cards that we were using for the plan being compromised. When we would get a new card, we would call and update. Two days later I'd get calls saying we never paid. Multiple times the card info was taken, no payment made, as well as also having a payment taken and not applied to the account. The last payment of our plan was just made and of course we get a call saying we owe them still. The money has been taken from our account.

Call, ask to speak to a supervisor. First time ever, the representative says I need your info and one will call you back. Never got a call, think that was BS. We call back, get a supervisor on the line, imagine that, she tells us my family has been very difficult to deal with, we asked how she would like us to send proof of payment being received. She tells us she is just canceling the account so they don't have to deal with us. Get a call two days later, account is still active, money still not applied, and the supervisor we spoke with this time said they need to look into the matter because they don't just close accounts. It's not our fault. We've given you the info you need every single time and no one can get it right. I just want to be done with these people, but they're making it impossible.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I brought my nine month old kitten, Tuna, (adopted from a PetSmart Charity I volunteer for) to a Banfield Pet Hospital to get an initial checkup. I wanted to ensure he had all of his shots up to date and to begin a Wellness plan for him. The doctor examined Tuna and suspected that his red gum inflammation was due to stomatitis. She recommended to have x-rays done to gauge the extent of the damage/disease. This location did not have the necessary equipment to perform that test, so I was referred to the closest location that did—over 45 minutes away. At my first visit with this second location, the vet gave me similar information about stomatitis—all of which I had researched on my own prior to the appointment. He told me that they would need to remove all of Tuna’s teeth to cure the stomatitis—as the disease is congenital and would not improve.

He recommended a biopsy of the gum tissue, to ensure that his theory was accurate. When he told me how much it would cost, I asked if we could do a treatment plan in stages. We decided that on this visit we would run blood work, test for leukemia, and FIV—all of which are actually covered in the plan, and fortunately all blood work was normal and he did not test positive for either! However, the steroid and antibiotic injections he recommended were $85 (with member discount).

I scheduled a follow-up visit for a week later. At that point, the doctor would perform a second exam to see if there had been any improvement and to retrieve the tissue for the biopsy. This procedure required anesthesia and nothing was included in the Wellness Plan benefits (I did receive a “discount” on the services). When I returned to pick up Tuna, I was asked to speak with the vet in an exam room to talk about what had been done. Tuna looked like he had been involved in a war. They had shaved the insides of his back legs completely, claiming that they had trouble drawing blood and attaching an IV. The vet also said not to be alarmed when I saw that his legs were bruised, as there had been minor issues with injection sites.

Tuna was hostile, growling/hissing, and clearly traumatized. We removed him from the carrier, because it was clear to me that he had used the bathroom inside of it. The carrier was cleaned and disinfected, but getting him back inside was a huge issue. I was asked if I could help, as Tuna was more likely to respond positively to me. Unfortunately, he bit me very hard on the hand... He was so scared and stressed that he seemed like a different cat. The vet and vet tech grabbed a big orange fleece blanket to restrain and force him into the carrier. It broke my heart to hear the screams and growls he was making. I performed first aid on my own hand and then checked out. My bill for this visit was $365.53. The invoice stated that if I were not a member I would have been charged $611.25, seems like a great deal right? I cried when I got to my car.

I waited to be contacted about the results of the biopsy, at which point we would make an appointment to have a dental cleaning, x-rays, and teeth extraction. When I received the call, it was from a third vet, who would be the one actually performing the procedure. He informed me that the results of the biopsy were as expected and that he recommended a full extraction. He then gave me a quote of $2,300. This was beyond devastating news. Not only is that an incredible financial burden, but it would mean that our nine month old kitten would be toothless for the rest of his life. Not to mention, this was actually the third time a price estimate had been given since my initial visit—each time it increased roughly $600. Banfield charges per tooth. That is not a joke. They literally charge for each tooth they extract.

I made the appointment, trusting the opinion of these doctors that there simply was no other option. It was their belief that getting this done sooner rather than later would be the best course of action. I was not fully convinced. I asked a coworker if she had a vet she liked taking her cats to, and she referred me to a local, private office. When I called this office, I asked how much a full extraction typically costs. The nurse said that it varies depending on how much anesthesia is needed, but the maximum it would ever cost would be $800. I was blown away and overcome with emotion. When I told her that I had been quoted $2,300 by Banfield she was flabbergasted. Needless to say, I made an appointment to visit this new vet office for a second opinion and cancelled my scheduled surgery with Banfield immediately.

I then called Banfield’s national customer service line to speak about my experience and to see what my options were about cancelling my plan. I already knew that Banfield has a ridiculous cancellation policy. If you wish to terminate your contract, you must either pay the remaining monthly payments upfront, or pay for the full cost of services you have already received at a discount. They graciously allow you to select the cheaper option, which of course is to make the remaining payments on the plan. Therefore, it is silly to actually cancel the plan—you might as well utilize the services that are included.

The customer service representative I spoke to, was actually very helpful and courteous. She listened to my concerns, answered my questions, and said she would send an 8 month supply of flea medication for each of my cats. I got off the phone feeling very positive. When I looked up the brand she was sending, I was less enthused. TrueShield, a PetSmart/Banfield exclusive product does not have good reviews on the Internet. If other customers who have filed complaints and left reviews are to be believed, the side effects can be horrendous and potentially life threatening. I have not decided what to do with the poison yet; I will not use it on my cats and I feel bad donating it to a shelter without doing more extensive research.

This story does have a happy ending though! The new vet was wonderful. I had all of the records faxed to his office and in his initial examination of Tuna he said that he did not believe that he would need to have all of his teeth removed. The inflammation in the gums was isolated to the outside of the back teeth only and in his opinion, removing all of them would be premature. He prescribed an antibiotic to see if that would reduce the inflammation and to call back in a week to report progress/schedule a second appointment.

Skipping ahead a little, yesterday was our appointment with the new vet for teeth cleaning, x-rays, and potential extractions (approximately two months after my first Banfield visit). The doctor called me in the middle of the exam, while Tuna was under anesthesia, to discuss the situation. He believed that the best course of action was to just do a deep clean to remove the plaque and flush the gums, provide a steroid, and a second round of antibiotics. His exact words, “We do not need to yank teeth, just for the sake of yanking teeth. Especially since his teeth look healthy on the x-rays and aren’t even fully developed.”

When I picked up Tuna, he was clearly a little anxious, but he did not seem like he had been through a traumatic experience. He had no teeth removed and he may never need to have any taken out. Best of all, the bill was only $300. Not that this is an insignificant amount of money by any means, but it was less than $2,000 than the quote from Banfield AND I still have a kitten with a full set of teeth. I have two cats currently on Active Prevention Wellness Plans. In theory, the services offered should save money and provide excellent care. Unfortunately, Banfield offers these plans to lock pet owners into a yearly contract to ensure returning customers.

The services that are provided are preventive only (not surprising, that’s the name of the plan...). However, the free vaccines, unlimited office visits, and routine lab testing only scratch the surface of what they will charge you for services they will recommend. For some pet owners, the Wellness plan may seem like a great idea. In fact, I will keep my plan (as if that were even a choice) and utilize the included aspects, but I will not renew. I do not believe that my experience is atypical. It is very clear that Banfield makes a large percentage of their profits from tooth extractions. Their second and third tier plans include a yearly dental cleaning with x-rays. Which means, they have the ability to call you when your pet is already under anesthesia to ask if they can pull out teeth due to an infection.

This is not to say that in some instances, cats (and other animals) do need to have teeth removed, but I hope that anyone who reads this review will be as fortunate as I was to avoid this trap. Always, always, always get a second opinion. I support a PetSmart Charity and volunteer weekly at an in store adoption center. I buy a lot of my pet food and other supplies there as well. Overall, I believe that this is a company that does a lot of good things; however, their system of Banfield Hospitals seems ethically questionable at best and potentially illegal at worst.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My Tank died on March 20th from Lymphoma and back in December she required special care that Banfield could not offer so we could not use their services. I tried cancelling the plans that I had today that we had for 7 years and apparently even after your pet is deceased these people will take your money. This was a waste and save your money and pay cash for your pets care.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My dog hurt herself at 7:30 am on a Friday. I called every Banfield in the San Antonio Texas area. I got denied a visit for each one was overbooked. The most popular reason was that they only had one vet on duty and they were scheduled for surgeries all day. We pay them monthly but yet they want to send us to emergency vet during operation hours? Never had I ever been denied same day visit with other offices for emergencies during operational hours. They want your money but they don't provide the service you are paying for. My wellness plan is up in August and Banfield has lost my business forever after this.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am so frustrated with Banfield. Specifically in Las Vegas. My mother took our family dog in for a checkup/tape worm checkup to be exact. Just to see if she had any then 10 mins later, they deliver the news that our Pomeranian is pronounced dead! What the ** Banfield. Seriously? Our baby was barely 2 years old and now she's dead? This is ridiculous. Our dog needs justice. This company needs to teach their "vets" more than sticking a needle in a animals body and hope it'll get better. This company needs to be shut down.

Original review: March 28, 2018

To begin with, one of Banfield Pet Hospital located in West Los Angeles 11250 W. Olympic Blvd was closed due to poor service and many complaints about you and your pet was received in getting in. Receptionist with attitude problem and vets don't want to speak to the pet owner to give a more precise report on pet's condition. The only good Veterinarian there was Doctor ** and she quit working for Banfield Pet Hospital. After they closed down Olympic facility, my dog's file was send to Culver City location. When Jake need to see a Vet due to rectal bleeding due to constipation, I have a horrible experience with the receptionist at that facility. The male at front desk was rude, hold my dog who was experiencing horrible pain like he was a bag of potato.

When I ask him to be more gentle with my dog he say, "You are not happy how we handle things here you are welcome to take your bleeding dog back home." I left Banfield Pet Hospital and went straight to another Veterinarian seeking help for my poor dog. I called Banfield and send a letter canceling the service and they still deducted 2 months payment from my bank account. I need to go to my bank and speak to the manager, tell all about why I MUST place stop payment with Banfield Pet Hospital. Thank God I was able to stop Banfield from getting my money, but they keep calling saying that they are taking me to collection and ruin my credit. PLEASE, if you love your pets, stay away from Banfield Pet Hospital. They don't care about animals, all they care about is the Might DOLLAR.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had this pet insurance for over 30 years with a number of pets. They always got their automatic withdrawal until December 2017. Something got mixed up and I have 3 pets on the plan. Money was short then. Each plan hit with the same bank account number. All were unable to process. They did this 4 times with each hit costing me 29.00. I had close the account for it to stop. Banfield never called me to tell me that there was a problem for 3 months. I would have liked to have got a call after 1 or 2 hits that were returned. Instead I got a bank fees for over 250.00. BEWARE. The bank said since I set up the automatic withdrawal I am liable for the fees. When I contacted customer service the agent were rude and telling me that I was lying. I asked her for a supervisor to call me back. I am still waiting for the call. It has been a week. It the statement of my account from the bank. Stay away from the automatic payment withdrawal set up by Banfield.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I am receiving threatening letters from Banfield because I cancelled my plan. My year was up on both of my dogs when I cancelled. Now they say if I don't pay the monthly fee I have to pay for all services my dogs received. They automatically take money out of my account. I never received a renewal notice and you can not stop them. Finally my card expired and they can no longer take money out of my account, now I receive threatening letter. By the way my one plan was for 4 years then I added a dog for 1 year. The cost increased every year and you never get notifications. It has doubled from the price I was first quoted.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I took my cat to the Banfield Hospital in Cape Coral, Fl. She went in to be spayed and a few vaccines since she was a kitten. After her surgery she came home drowsy and unresponsive. She was a very playful cat so I assumed it was the anesthesia that was still in her system. A few days later she still had not bounced back. I called the vet and they told me to bring her in. They gave me a special food to feed her and after a few days she was getting worse. I went back a third time and the vet said, "We had tried everything. We just have to wait it out." I was blown away because at this point I didn’t think she was going to make it and they had no answers for me.

Later that day I decided I wanted to get a second opinion so I took my cat to my dogs veterinarian. Viscaya-Prado vet ran a few test and within 30 mins she was hooked up to an IV for fluids and given some medication. Within 24 hours she was back to her playful self. I would never go back to Banfield Hospital. If I left it to them, my cat would be dead. I tried to contact someone regarding the situation and I never got a response back. Now that I’ve seen other people’s reviews I should have read them prior to deciding on a vet for my pet. Seems like many people have had similar issues.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This hospital did not get proper authorization to add an animal to an account because their vet techs do not do their jobs properly to check for the right account cause all they care about is just get the money and charge money for services that were suppose to be added to another account. Charge for services that were not needed cause the plan included those services already and refuse to transfer retro refunds for services that the plan already included.

Do not use Banfield. They do nothing but steal your money and try to fraudulently not check all accounts for authorization. Make sure you have the proper account before you run your credit card. They steal your money. Beware of corporate when trying to settle your dispute. They are on the side of the hospital. They put a dog on my daughters account without her authorization instead of many account moms plan cause they just could not find mom’s account so the vet tech just assumed my daughters account was the right account. Huuummm wrong. Can you say fraud? Uh yeah.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I had Banfield as my primary pet care until the day that my pet really need care. First they said they could not keep my pet because of overbooking, then they send my pet to another Banfield that keep my dog for over 5 hours and did not provide any care, my dog almost bleed to death. They only care for me to sign and pay for tests over $500 and keep saying that tests was not clear but the vet told me to take my dog to an ER to get fluids and medication but did not provide themselves because it was almost time to close. But for 5 hours they kept my dog there with no treatment.

Original review: March 11, 2018

My son's pet whose name is Pancho was taken (March 8) with symptoms such as: diarrhea, vomit, the dog was there all day to be checked, and examined his feces, blood, urine, all results of the lab work were negative, they also took x-rays of the dog, and found that he had a swollen prostate, when my son picked up the dog the physician said apparently the dog ate something out in the yard or might have picked up some drug. However the physician observed that this dog did not eat during the day and prescribed ** because observed that the dog had pain and **. The dog was picked up and the physician said that if the dog does not eat any food the dog needs to go back to the clinic the next day. When the dog arrived at home he did not walk anymore and his jaws were locked (this the reason the dog could not eat) and that situation was due to extreme pain he had.

We forced him to take one ** mixed with some yogurt, put it through with a syringe and also he was given one ** which actually we know this is used to treat parasites, which the dog did not have. Next day early morning my son carried him over to the clinic, as he could not walk anymore and took the medicines back to the clinic for their administration. The person that received the dog was instructed by my son to give him the medication and an IV because he had 2 days without eating. The whole day the dog was there, they did not administer an IV to him, he did not eat at all or drank water during the day, a call was received from the clinic around 3:30 to inform that the dog had passed away.

Every dog will pass away, sooner or later, the important thing here is that they abandoned the pet and during its last hours they did not alleviate their pain at all. When we saw the dead body we noticed the dog's mouth was closed tight with his tongue which shows us he died in an awful pain. I believe that this clinic should dedicate maybe to wash and groom pets instead of dealing with their health. This pet was a customer of this clinic, he had a policy with them, and the treatment received was far from being humane. At the end they were not able to tell us what was the reason, or cause of his death.

Original review: March 8, 2018

DONT DO IT!!! This company added an extra 20 dollars to my monthly wellness plan for **. Saying I was receiving a discount for ordering a 12 month supply. Completely inaccurate, much cheaper online. Well after full payment of the plan they kept 4 of my ** pills and told me I couldn't not receive them. Basically stealing from customers, if you ask me.

Original review: March 7, 2018

The wellness plan is excellent, for them and their bank account. You are far better off just paying for the services as they are performed. They make it beyond difficult to cancel and require you to jump through countless hoops to do so, all the while smiling all the way to the bank charging you $35 a month. It took us over two months to successfully cancel, and conveniently the cancellation was approved two days after they took another non-refundable payment. They also allow minors to sign contracts but then use that as an excuse to not cancel the plan because you will need to provide various types of proof that the person who signed it is in fact a minor. Long story short, it's a great business model. They collect hundreds of dollars per year and provide minimal service for the plan. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR IT. Unless you like to put money in the pocket of a shady business without getting any value in return.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I brought my pup to the Banfield in Stroudsburg and couldn't be any happier with the staff there. Unfortunately, after this past snow storm, I was forced to go to the only other Banfield close to home (Whitehall location) because Stroudsburg's servers were down. My 4 month old puppy has been dealing with an on and off UTI and after being fine for 3 weeks after taking her meds, the UTI came back full force again (bleeding and discharge coming from her lady parts). Both my boyfriend and I called in a panic once we saw blood and asked if we can bring her in as a walk in. The receptionist (I believe her name was Tricia) was VERY sweet and helpful, she explained since the servers were down in one location, another location cannot download the files from that downed store.

After hours of going back and forth with the store, we finally got an appt for the following day. I dropped my dog off at 9 am that morning with a urine sample in hand (the Stroudsburg location told me to bring one with me last visit and supplied me with the kit). I received one call from Dr. ** (not exactly sure of her name) explaining how my dog is just leaking puddles of urine and they cannot do a urine culture if she keeps acting like that. I explained to her my dog never did that and if she did that would've been one of the concerns mentioned to them when they checked her in/that I wrote on the check in sheet (the reason she was doing that was because she was so scared of them and she had to endure the pain of being pricked repeatedly in her stomach to get a urine sample straight from her bladder and being away from us for 6 1/2 hours).

After 6 and a half hours of my puppy waiting there, I stopped in to make sure everything was okay, since I was not sure if I missed their call or not. The rude older receptionist there told me if I didn't get a call then my dog was not ready. I understand everyone is working and Im not the only customer there, but I wasn't sure if I missed their call and my dog was there for 6 1/2 hours just for her urine to be checked and possibly have some X-rays taken. Finally, the doctor brought me to a private room. The doctor had no personality whatsoever.

She told me my 4 month old puppy "attacked" her head tech and they had to keep her muzzled for their staff's safety. Not for nothing, but why would you have to keep my 4 month old puppy muzzled for such a long period of time and maybe the reason why she was nipping was because she was being pricked over and over with a needle that extended into her bladder for a urine sample (EACH TIME THEY MANAGED NOT TO GET ANY SAMPLE). I offered to hold her down if it were necessary and they informed me they would still have to keep her muzzled. I don't understand why anyone would have to be afraid of a puppy when you work in the animal field! Then the doctor explained that the urine sample I brought in wasn't a good batch and that when they tested it, it gave what she thought was a false reading.

Long story short, my dog left in the same condition she came in, I left with ZERO meds to help my dog with the bleeding or any discomfort, the tech that was helping the doctor along with the rude old receptionist gave me an attitude when I asked why I was being charged for a urine sample that she claimed was a bad batch but tested anyway, the tech said that it was a pain to go back and ask the doctor about pricing (VERY UNPROFESSIONAL), I was still charged $250 for absolute no results or progress, and I was then asked to come back the next day to try more urine samples. When I asked would I be charged again for the same tests, the nurse replied YES! Why should I have to pay for the same tests to be done?! SUCH A RIP OFF!

I called corporate to complain about my experience and to ask why I was charged for the same exact tests that were already done 2x (blood work that was $188 and urine tests), why I was charged $40 for a urine test at one location and $75 at the Whitehall location, and I cannot be reimbursed when this was supposed to be a follow up on how her UTI was holding up. I don't understand how one location can overcharge so much! Mind you, I am on their wellness plan for my 3 dogs. I pay a total of $200 for their wellness plans for absolutely nothing! If it weren't for the Stroudsburg location, I would've stopped using Banfield all together. Dr. ** at the Stroudsburg location is a pleasure along with the rest of her staff.

My 3 dogs love them at the Stroudsburg location. Today, I brought Quinn to see Dr. ** and my dog was so nervous to go into the private room to speak to the doctor she peed all over herself twice. I was also informed the head of the Whitehall Banfield was at the Stroudsburg location and she received my complaint to corporate, she didn't even have the nerve to come out and apologize for her staff's behavior or to hear my side of the story. She stood in the back part of the Vet. If you're the head of that location, I would've at least appreciate a phone call considering you did receive my complaint NOT have the Stroudsburg staff ask me questions about my experience and then have them relay my message to you. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT LOCATION TO ANYONE. NOT EVEN MY WORST ENEMY! VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND A RIP OFF! I wish I can give them 0 stars!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Took my doggie in last November 2017 for her yearly shots. Included the ProHeart shot for heartworms. Banfield said she was normal, little overweight, and needed teeth cleaned and a mole removed. Said teeth cleaning was about 300.00. Turned it down. Then on February 6th 2018, took her in for a cough. This time Doctor did not put her up on table, just bent down and said she had a heart murmur and her lungs was full of water. She had no symptoms of this. Gave me 250.00 of medicine for her to take.

She suddenly started getting really sick, could not breathe, in pain. Called Banfield, they said wait 2 days till her doctor came in. What??? They did not do blood work or x-ray or EKG or anything to check her out. This little girl was my baby and she was in pain. Called previous vet and took her right in, she died on the table. She fought hard to make it but just could not. I blame Banfield for not doing right and should have done more to help her but they did not.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My wife and I have been trying to cancel the wellness service for 3 of our dogs without any success at the yearly renewal period. I'm told that I can pay the outstanding amount to cancel service NOW ($800 per dog), but they aren't interested in the fact that it SHOULD have been canceled already. It seems that there is never a supervisor/manager available to escalate to and so far I have not received back any phone call. At this point, I'm afraid my only option is to go to the bank and explain the situation (provider will not cancel) to have further payments stopped. Due to the awful plan and the complete and utter unwillingness to 'fix it' we're no longer taking our animals to Banfield Hospital.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Wellness plan - you can't cancel. Don't do it. Customer Service - like robots. Won't help. Only want money. Pet Hospital - never the same vet twice. Bad customer service. I wouldn't take my beloved pets here if I were you. Trust my horrible experience and avoid the trouble.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Location- American Fork Utah. Date- 2/13/2018. I visited this branch of Banfield yesterday 2-13-2018 and was very much not pleased with my experience. My dog has had a lump growing on his eyelid for a few months that has recently been changing rapidly. I explained the situation before making the appointment. Within four seconds of the vet seeing my dog, literally as soon as we walked in the door from a distance of feet away he told me, "Yep, we are not going to be able to help you as we do not have any sort of equipment allowing us to deal with masses of the eyes." First of all, I should have been informed of this information before making an appointment and then being forced to pay for the service. Keep in mind there was no actual service.

Also during our visit since the vet was not going to be able to help with the actual issue, the eye mass, I figured I will at least have him perform a basic routine exam of my dog while we are already here. He told us a few things he found and gave us an updated rating of the dog's previous heart murmur and dental disease levels which he only was able to give after asking what the previous vet had rated them, and then rated them exactly the same. When asked to explain in further detail the information he was giving me after the examination of the pet he was unable to. His only response was, "I do not know. I would have to look that up or research that."

To top it off the whole time we were in the office from about the second we walked in and he saw that they could not deal with the eye mass, he was trying to rush us out. I will likely never return to Banfield because of the service we received on this occasion plus many others. I have visited this office a few times and the service has been the same every time, rushed and very limited options/information given. Vets here do not seem to have an affectionate side to them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

On 1/28/18 we took our healthy, vibrant, 4 yr old Bichon Maltese to Banfield for his state required rabies booster. He died an hour later from anaphylactic shock in the back. I do not know if he actually died from anaphylaxis or if they did something wrong when administering the vaccine. They said his temp of 102.5 was on the high end, should they have rescheduled his vaccines? Should we have done ** beforehand because he was only 16 lbs getting the same dose as a 100 lb dog? We’ll never know and Banfield hasn’t returned any of our calls. We are devastated and heartbroken.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I son took his dog to PetSmart hospital in Eastland Center Dr. Seung ** didn't do nothing all she said our dog was overweight. She was still sick bad. We took her to another pet hospital and she was sick she needed medication, now she doing good now. So call Dr. ** she is not good dr. I think we should get our money back in full. If not I will put your name and the dr. Name in BBB, and a website how bad you all are.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

When I first got my dog, we took her to Banfield. They told me if I signed up for the wellness plan that I could get discounts on services, free visits, etc. That was the only time I've been to Banfield. About 6 months later, I changed my card and didn't want to use the wellness plan anymore because we never used it. Lo and behold, they told me I still owed $600 from the ONE appointment we had 6 months ago. They said that I either have to pay it all now, or continue the plan until it's paid off and let the plan expire. See, they'll charge you for something every time you visit the clinic, and they want to suck you in for eternal payments. Best way to quit is to never start. It's a scam.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I started my dog at Banfield at 6 months of age. I renewed his plan in October 2017. He was due for a visit in February so I scheduled it. It was the first time I decided to leave him there and pick him up later. My dog is big and afraid of the vet but we've been able to get him treated every time he was taken to Banfield. On this visit however, they called me after I left and said they would be charging me additional money for a restraining fee. When I questioned why I was never assessed this fee in the past, I was rudely told, I would be paying it this time.

I told them to not touch my dog and I would return to get him. When I picked him up, I was told not to bring him back to Banfield. I later called to be refunded the money paid since October since NO services were rendered and Banfield terminated the agreement by telling me not to return with my dog, and I was declined. So I paid a monthly fee for nothing and was charged for this visit which didn't benefit my dog or me at all. I will never use Banfield again and urge anyone looking for an affordable option for their pet, to go to the local SPCA for reduced price clinics, etc.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I signed up for a wellness plan for my pet. The services provided under the plan are misinterpreted and I have had to pay out of pocket for vaccines. I have pointed out to staff that I had already paid but still charged me. I have tried to cancel the plan but I told I am responsible for future payments. I like to know if there's class action going on against this so called pet hospital. It is not consumer friendly. It's a scam! Do not sign up for the wellness plan! All they wants is their money.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information