Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

We have used Banfield since we got our first dog 4 years ago. We signed up for the yearly care as they said this was the best deal. We quickly found out that it didn't cover everything as they originally said it did. Every time we go in there is a list of "recommended" add ons that we should be getting. Today was the last straw. Our newest Pup needed 2 additional shots. She just had a full physical in August. They said she needed 2 other blood work items done. I said "No thanks, just give me the shots she needs." Then they said I would need to leave her there. I asked why, as 2 shots takes about 5 mins. She said they do the shots in between surgeries. Ridiculous. It's now been 5 hours and no call. 2 Shots and my poor dog has to sit in a kennel all day. This is our last day there.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

We've had a Banfield Welness Plan on two dogs for 17 years. We selected Banfield because we travel a lot and were sold that we would get quality pet health service wherever we traveled in the US provided there was a Banfield in the area. As long as you don't have any problems you can receive service. Frequently when you make attempt to make an appointment away from your HOME Banfield, the computers aren't talking to the central system. The AWAY Banfield grills you as to why you aren't getting service at your HOME Banfield. It has gotten more and more difficult to get an appointment because seems to be overselling the capability of servicing the existing base. Where we reside there are three Banfield's but it's more difficult to find an available appoint time, more so than when there was only one. We've had to spend thousands of dollars at other vet clinics due to the lack appointment availability when a problem cropped up.

In September of this year we were having problems with an ongoing serious Cyst problem that was opened on our pets side. We called Banfield and were told no appointments were available and were directed by Banfield Staff that we should go to an emergency pet clinic. Our pet lost consciousness and we ended up having to put her down. We called Banfield and told them what happened, the young man said "well we'll cancel your plan but you will owe us $242.00 dollars for undercharges." I said "you've got to be kidding, you wouldn't treat our pet under our Plan and you're billing us for undercharged services on the plan that we paid every month on auto pay for seven years." It's unfortunate that Banfield has grown so large over the years that their main concern seems to us to be the DOLLAR GROWTH OF THE COMPANY and seem to have lost their reason for starting the business to "give affordable quality service to pet owners."

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

We had a cherished vet at Banfield. She was the only reason we stayed. She left Banfield over a yr ago. We haven't used their (Banfield's) services in 10 months. We are still paying for plans for both our cat and doggo. We have been taking our furry family members to a private vet for the past 10 months. We can only cancel our Banfield plan during a tiny window of time (1 yr exact from the original plan's start date). Even more interesting, is that if you have to go in for a sick visit at Banfield, you will be heartily charged in addition to that monthly plan amount.

The 1st sick visit that our pom went to at our private vet was only around $100.00. I was in shock, knowing that if this had been a Banfield sick visit, it would have been at least twice this amount! (In addition to that monthly amount). You have to cancel your plan in the website, not via the app. My cats's plan is set to cancel 11/30/2021. So what does Banfield do but charge me the full monthly amount of $58.15 (we pay over $116.00 for both pets a month) on 11/26/2021. Folks, go to a private Veterinarian. Your furry family member will have consistent care from someone familiar with their issues that will become familiar, caring human to them. We can't afford pet insurance until we get the Banfield drain off of our backs and a private vet was still cheaper and far more beneficial to our furries.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

While most of the medical staff are truly concerned with our pet's needs, Banfield corporate is only driven by greed. In a nutshell, not only did the doctors at a NJ facility miss a critical diagnosis, but they refused to see our beloved pet in an emergency situation, forcing us to take him to an emergency clinic…and this was while enrolled in their Wellness Plan. By then, things were too late and we eventually had to put our pet down.

Now, to make matters worse, Banfield refuses to cancel our plan even though our dog is no longer with us. Rather than try and help us heal from this traumatic loss (of which they are partially to blame) and vast void in our life, we have a monthly reminder that our pet is no longer with us. Once they learned that we tried to cancel, because our pet is now dead, we no longer have access to our pet's medical records or billing information. Yet, just today, they took out another payment for, in my opinion, services not rendered. DO NOT ENROLL IN THE WELLNESS PLAN!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

We had several issues with Banfield. They always “added” a visit to her record with an exam even when we just went to refill the meds. Why? Because we were on the wellness plan. We had insurance when we first started to take our dog. They talked us into the wellness plan. A significant discount for services. It’s not a wellness plan but basically an interest free installment plan. They determine your dog needs a specific amount and list of services a year. They divide that up into payments. Even if you don’t bring your dog in for a teeth cleaning, if its on the list, its cost is included in the wellness plan. You renew for an entire year. You cannot drop the plan, not even when your dog dies. You have to pay whatever balance of services. We paid our balance every time we visited so I don’t know how we even had a balance but whatever. We loved our vet at Banfield and so did our dog but I will never take another dog back to Banfield.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Figured I’d share this here as well. Be very careful of the fine print on your wellness plan. We had been bringing our dog to Banfield for vet services for nearly 13 years. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to our sweet dog…with Banfield euthanizing him. When I contacted Banfield a few days later to cancel his wellness plan, I was essentially told: "Sorry for your loss…you owe the remaining 11 months of your wellness plan." I would understand if we had just abandoned Banfield services. But our dog is gone…and they’re now saying that we need to pay for nearly a year’s worth of upcoming wellness services for our deceased dog. Ironic thing is that they had said our dog had “really bad arthritis” in his rear legs during his last semi-annual visit. So we re-upped the plan to get him as much help as we could.

When we brought him back in a few months later (and after we had re-upped), we were told by a different Banfield vet that our buddy had an incurable nerve issue and his life expectancy was months at absolute best, with nothing we could do to help him. Funny how we got the correct diagnosis AFTER we re-upped the plan. Utilize Banfield services at your own risk.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

When you sign up for the Wellness Plan make sure you are aware that if your pet doesn’t die in the month your contract is up you continue to pay your premium. I’ve been on the plan for over 10 years with 3 pets. My dog had to be put down and because he didn’t die in August I have to continue to pay! This is ridiculous as if we don’t grieve enough and then we get slammed with more bills! Complete FALSE advertising! All 3 of my adult children have pets on the plan because I thought it was such a “great” deal. I’ve informed them all to cancel as soon as possible!!! Buyer beware unless you want more heartache!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

My dog been there for 10 year paying insurance. Everytime my dog had an emergency they don't have appointments, customer service worse. If you don't paid they sent you to collections. Ripoff. Be aware.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I was give the wrong meds from the Oklahoma city Banfield location for my cat. I was supposed to receive ** for hypothyroidism and was instead given ** which is for a heart condition that the staff labeled as ** and sold to me. I gave my cat this medication for almost two weeks. I found out this was the incorrect medication on his next vet visit. I asked for his visit to be refunded. The manager was not there so the person at the desk called them. They only offered to credit a portion of the visit. The person at the front desk kept telling me that my vet was on lunch when I asked what the effects would be in my cat for having taken the wrong medication. It wasn't until I asked why there are no vets there he said there was another vet there and I asked to see him to talk about what effects this would have on my cat. This was not offered- I had to ask.

I called the corporate headquarters and they asked if I had spoken to the shift manager-this again was not offered. I asked to speak to the shift manager and they offered to test my cat's blood levels which I declined because I do not wish to put my cat in their care ever again. She would not fully credit my appointment. I had to pay $200 to a company that made an unforgivable error. I now have to bring my cat to another vet and have them evaluate his blood work and assess the damage this has had on him. This will cost another $200 which is why I was asking for my visit to be refunded. I came home and realized I needed a copy of his xrays. I called to ask if they would email it to me. I was put on hold for 20 minutes and then hung up on.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

DO NOT USE BANFIELD IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE IN A CONTRACT! You pay a monthly fee for your wellness plan. But they pride themselves for if you need a visit in between your two visits a year you can get in and don't have to pay the office visit and only pay for test/prescriptions. IF THEY HAD APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE. They are called Banfield Pet Hospital. You would think having "Hospital" that they would at least have a handful of appointments available/blocked out for same day emergencies/unplanned issues that come up. My dog ate our salmon dinner (never having eaten anything defrosting from the sink before) and I immediately called and the lady that answered said "Oh I don't know. I would suggest going to the hospital."

At that point I was just looking for information. After having called the Clackamas VCA they gave me good info but unfortunately said I just need to watch our dog and symptoms may not show for 5-10 days. Today he started acting off, but not showing the top common symptoms listed but I called to see if I can at least get him in just to make sure he's ok or bring in a fresh fecal sample. (I know exactly what it's from if anything showed up in his stool, and I've already called them once about the issue, not like it was new.) They said, "No we don't have any appointments. We suggest you take them to the hospital." Like seriously, WHAT DO I PAY FOR?

Then I find a place that will take him tomorrow at 3:00pm, that is not a hospital where I will pay an arm an a leg. After further research and reviews and pricing other places, Banfield is a rip off. Especially if you do not have things that come up often. (Usually we don't.) I cancelled our dog's plan (luckily in time) but go to cancel my cat's plan and they will not let me cancel until I pay the whole year's worth. She was seen right after our plan renewed, so I understood that there is 2 visits a year.

I understood if I needed to pay through January to cover that one visit that was right after our plan renewed, but they said no. I have to keep the plan for the whole year. I pay annually 350 something, and that 1 visit was 400 something. WHAT!!! I could get cheaper services at a vet clinic elsewhere for that one visit. They should be called Banfield Pet Clinic NOT HOSPITAL! Please know what your paying for before you sign up! Do research on other clinics and fee pricing sheet with office visit 2 a year for a 3 year old dog, and what you would pay monthly at Banfield.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information