1.31/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1825 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I took my 14 year old dog for vaccinations and they did blood work and X-ray on him and everything came out normal. The doctor even said he was a vibrant and healthy dog for his age. They convinced us to get their insurance for him for a year and told us if something happened to him, you would continue paying for the insurance. We responded "nothing is going to happen to him, he is a healthy dog." We reschedule the vaccinations for Sunday, February 10, 2019. My dog Jimmy was jumping all over the place and on everyone that day as he normally did. He got his shots at about 3:30pm. I was told to give him ** if he gets under the weather. I did not know this was the end of my dog.

Two hours later, my dog couldn't get out of his bed, would not eat, and started vomiting. We gave him the ** and he got worst. We took him to the ER and they gave us different possibilities for his sickness and gave him something for his nausea. We came home with him and the next morning took him back to Banfield to his doctor. They put him on IV since his has not eaten and some other medications. Later that day, they charged me and told me to take him back to the ER. He was admitted to the hospital on Monday evening and Tuesday they ran tests on him and advised me to euthanize him because he had cancer, bacteria in his cells, and a hole in his intestines. They said there was nothing else they can do for him.

My dog was put to sleep on Tuesday, February 12 at about 8pm. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Jimmy's doctor claimed he was an old dog and the vaccinations probably triggered things that was wrong with him. If that is the truth, how come it didn't show in his blood work two weeks ago. These people should be held accountable for their actions. I've spent so much money on hospital bills and paying them for the visit when my dog was sick. Now I have to pay for an insurance that I only used once for a year. This just seems too convenient for them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I took my cat in for a routine dental cleaning and supposedly she came out fine, happy and fiesty. I get a call about an hour and half later saying that she has a broken toe and that they have a antibiotic that last around two weeks ** to give her so she won’t contract any bacteria. I agree not knowing what the heck it is. UNTIL AN HOUR LATER THEY CALL ME SAYING MY CAT HAS PASSED! My heathy 3 year old cat. What type of medical professionals are you? You killed my cat. Why didn’t you let me know about the side effects or about safer options. I don’t have a freaking medical degree. YOU DO! I can’t believe this happened.

My life is empty without her. They literally pressured me into it saying it’s good and convenient blah blah blah. MY CAT IS DEAD HOW IS THAT CONVENIENT??? After the phone call I researched it and found out that ** is deadly. I’m so sad I feel like it’s my fault for saying yes. This is horrible. My husband and I are heartbroken. She was like a daughter to us. I AM DONE with them. I have another cat and I don’t know if I should take her there or not.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I took my dog in for a grooming. When I picked him up they told me he was difficult. No one has ever told me that when I got him groomed. They were rude. Got him home and about a hour after bring home I noticed a big lump the size of a golf ball on his neck. I thought he don’t look normal. I Called to ask if they noticed a lump because when we took him he did not have this lump because I was playing with him before we went. They said everything looked good. They had sent me a picture after they groomed him. He looked swollen on one side. They called me back and said to take him to a 24 hour emergency. We took him and they drained the lump and gave him medicine.

The vet at Blue Pearl said she don’t understand how they didn’t notice that. Two days later we took him to Banfield where we have the wellness plan. They drained it again. The vet there said it was possibly from a collar or leash being too tight. We are thinking when they said he was difficult they had a collar and leash on him that was too tight to control him. He has never had health issues. 4 days before His grooming he went in for his physical and was all clear with health. None of this makes sense. Never will I take him again. Heard a lot of bad things about Banfield. I wish I researched better.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I found a very sick and abused cat and left it in their care. After, of course, signing up for the very skeptical PET PLAN. TWO DAYS LATER, I get a phone call, notifying me that the cat is chipped, owner notified and came in to pick up cat. Three years later, I go to buy a house and have an outstanding bill of over 500.00.

After speaking to MANY supervisors, etc. I had to pay this bill, which is absolutely illegal, given the fact that the owner just bopped in and got the cat. I was never told I would be responsible for this bill, no notices or phone calls.

DO NOT LET THEM SIGN YOU UP FOR THE PLAN, no matter what. It is a money making scam and to be honest, I should have reported this to The Better Business Bureau, but I was too busy TRYING TO BUY A HOUSE. Regretful I ever walked into this place. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

No value for the service. I've been trying to get off the plan for years, but my attempts have not aligned with their automatic renewal timelines. I have multiple dogs and the cost is far more than the service is worth. I can't simply terminate the plan without paying more than the sum of the payments - A complete rip off!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I currently have 5 dogs on wellness plans with Banfield. All enrolled at different times. First dog I enrolled there everything was fine and I always highly recommended Banfield, my sister got her 2 dogs on there and my mom signed her dog up there due to me telling them it was great. When I signed up my 2nd dog there all was well. However, they did not sign him up under the same account as my other dog which has created problems every time I visit there and try and make appointments. It always takes them 5 minutes just to locate his account. I've asked if they can add him in with the other dog and they say it doesn't work like that. I would have to cancel his account and start it up again. Joined with the other dog and would have to pay the $75 initiation fee AGAIN even though it was their error to begin with.

Fast forward, my boyfriend got a dog and signed him up there and they offered the wellness plan that included neutering but that it needed to be done within the first year. So the neutering was being billed every month for a year. He didn't end up doing it within the first year, which is 100% on us. But when I called to inquire about it I was told there was no way to do it now, the year had passed. So even though we paid for him to be neutered they won't do it nor refund us any. I asked why it needed to be done within a year and the answer was that's just how the system works. When the contract renews nothing rolls over to the following year. So while we are 100% at fault for not getting it done, there is no real reason as to why they have the plans set up this way, except to make more money. Everything else about them is usually pretty standard, but their practices are questionable.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

For those who know recently our cat got sick and has now passed away. Banfield Pet Hospital doctor gave my cat a medication that should only be used in dogs. This negligence from this doctor caused my cat to have liver failure and recently pass away. They have declined to own what they have done nor repay for the cost of the hospital bills due to this and now I have lost one of my pets. Do not go to Banfield Pet Hospital on San Pablo!!! We will miss our little Hopper!

Update: My cat was on a wellness plan with Banfield. I took him there from the beginning at 2 months old. They had given him 3 prior checks and his shots. I was told he was a healthy cat up to this point. I was given the clear from his first appointment. They are claiming that he could have had an issue from the beginning and would not have known. This was their response to the hospital vet. They refuse to own this or pay me back. The med they gave him 5 rounds of is called **. Never allow them to give your cat this!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Our pet died more than 8 months ago and we are still paying Banfield health insurance. Nevermind the fact that the only time our pet needed a vet was when he suddenly got sick at an age of 10. It was a Saturday and even though we live in a metropolitan area, there was no help from Banfield. I call around and the few places that were open on a Saturday, was already fully booked. I ended up having to go to an emergency vet instead.

After our pet died, I tried to cancel my plan. Banfield makes it very difficult to cancel a plan. On the website you can only set your plan to not renew for the next year, which meant I had to pay Banfield another 10 months. Everything else requires a phone call. They have limited phone hours and long waits. When we finally got a hold of someone at the Banfield office, they promised to terminate the plan immediately, but they never did. They just set it not to renew, which means I have been paying health insurance for a dead dog for the last 8 months. They did send a condolences letter, which means they are aware that our pet has died, but find it acceptable to keep charging us. Bottomline: - Don't use Banfield, if your pet has the audacity of getting sick in a weekend. - Be aware of sleazy cancelation tactics. Making it difficult to cancel a plan, is the sure tell of a company you should NOT do business with.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I took my dog into Banfield on Truxel in Sacramento in October, she was diagnosed with Pancreatitis, they prescribed a med that was pill form even though I told them that I have a problem giving my dog pills, it didn't matter to them, I could not get the meds in her, I called to leave a message for the Vet who never bothered to call me back, and she almost died on me that evening. I went in the next morning and told Jessica what happened, she immediately called in a prescription for a pharmacy to do it in liquid form...and it worked and she got better. I called and left messages to speak to the Vet and to this day which is February 2019, and I took my dog in October 2018 have I heard a damn word from them.

I called to cancel my wellness plan and they said they cannot do that, I have emailed and called the corporate office and have never got a response from no one as to why I have to continue to pay for something that I will never walk into any of their Bandfields again with any pet I own...DO NOT USE BANFIELD IF YOU LOVE YOUR PETS AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A WELLNESS PLAN. IT IS A RIP OFF.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My dog is afraid of coming in contact with other dogs and is especially afraid of the vets office. I stressed that point when we went for her annual check up and vaccinations. At that time I told the vet doctor that I would be placing her in a kennel and to please vaccinate her for that too. They gave her a quick check up temp and rectal temp which she hates. She shook uncontrollably the whole time? In three weeks I had to go back for booster again. I was charged for an office visit 59.95 for an office and again a quickly physical and rectal plus cost of vaccine and my dog shook and cried the whole time.

After I visited the kennel they told me they require canine flu vaccine, back to the vet only 4 days after the booster and really again another physical and weight and temp so they could justify the office visit, I pleaded with them that I would pay the 59.95 office fee just give her the vaccination without the bogus physical. The vet told me if I didn’t let her do the physical she wouldn’t give her the vaccination! And guess what I have to go back for another booster in 3 days. They obviously don’t care about the animals in their care! Total cost for vaccinations 173.01 + 130.96 + 110.34 + 110.34 = 524.65. Can you say scam!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I brought my dog in for a regular cleaning on Dec 2nd 2018 at Tualatin location. It led to a few teeth being extracted with my permission partly due to infection. Next vet cleaning his teeth decided to pull all of his front little teeth on top and bottom "without" my permission. Of course, was not happy and contacted her right away. She stated since one of little teeth was loose so the rest should be removed. Omg! What gave her right to do that, my dog is almost 10 years old... There were about 15 teeth total removed! It is traumatic enough going under anesthesia, being an older dog and just getting few teeth pulled let alone almost 15 teeth. She should have called me before she removed any additional teeth. It has taken me this long to complain about this, was even more traumatic watching him try to eat different missing all of those little teeth!!

When I spoke with vet she had little to no remorse of what she did. She simply said she thought she did what was needed and said was saving me $$$ in long run. Omg!! Very uncalled for, unprofessional and just flat out incomprehensible. I am no longer going forward with a wellness plan with Banfield due to this situation. I have had other incidents at this same Banfield and I unfortunately did not do anything about being mistreated then. Please advise, I do not think their staff is there to care and help your pets... Felt like it was about what they want not the pet's needs or customer's needs. Terrible service!! Stay away from Banfield. All the other bad reviews speak for themselves too!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I had a plan with Banfield for 10 years for my little dog Zoey. When she passed I called to stop the plan. I was told I still had the plan for several more months at $500 and I saved $800 this year. You take the lower number and she said they would be nice and take 1/2. So I would still have to pay 2 months. This is crazy. Don't take a plan with Banfield. Huge scam! Very disappointing. Guess it's in the small print.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My dog Rocco who we took over the care for about 3 years ago had been treated by them for that time & had a wellness plan with Banfield. On 1/7/18 I took Rocco in because he was sneezing, the Vet gave me a Rx for sneezing & medicine for a yeast infection in the ears, not telling me that it could cause loss of hearing. If I had known that I would not have given my dog the drug. After the second day I noticed my dog was deaf. So now I have a dog that is not only blind from being a diabetic that should have been spotted much earlier and now cannot hear! On top of this he talked me into upgrading my plan & gave me a bill for $344.00 in addition. DO NOT use them in Rancho Santa Margarita Ca.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

STAY AWAY! The first time to the Spanish Fort location I went several years ago, the vet said my dog needed a skin biopsy for mange, when it was very clearly just a scar. I refused the biopsy but continued my Wellness Plan because the Mobile location was always so wonderful with my other dog. Earlier this year, at the Spanish Fort location, another vet tried to prescribe my dog ** to treat acid/vomiting caused by her kidney disease, despite ** being contraindicated for kidney disease. (This treatment could’ve accelerated my dog’s renal failure simply to treat a mild SYMPTOM of the kidney disease.)

I decided to cancel my plans when they expired - one in April and one in September. So, earlier this month, I went in for my wellness visit covered by the plan before it ended. The vet tech told me rabies and 1 more vaccine were due in 2 months but they could go ahead and do them. I knew we already had these vaccines in my current Wellness Plan so I asked the tech to be sure that these vaccines were covered under the existing plan, NOT under the new plan because I was not sure if I was going to renew the plan. The tech assured that the services were covered under the current plan and proceeded to perform them.

At the end of the visit, I was asked to sign the electronic pen pad (that you have to sign to check out your dog at the end of every visit), and the pen pad just had a box to sign in. It didn’t tell me what I was signing, and neither did the tech. I thought it was just to check out my dog. Nope, they renewed my plan early (even though I told the tech I wasn’t sure if I wanted to renew) and used services from the new plan that weren’t covered by the existing plan (even though the tech told me they were). When I disputed this days later, the practice manager accused me of lying, said I knew what I was signing and that it was made clear to me, that the tech claims she never had this conversation with me, and that I owed about $550 if I cancelled the plan (yes, $550 for unnecessary bloodwork I didn’t know was being performed, 2 vaccines, and a fecal test).

After some back and forth, the practice manager agreed to drop all charges except $150, which I didn’t agree to because I was told up front that everything was covered by my Wellness Plan that I had already paid for over the year. The practice manager then agreed to write off the whole thing, but I’d be banned from all Banfields in the future, to which I responded very calmly and politely that was ok because I didn’t trust their vets and described the situation where the vet prescribed a medicine that my dog couldn’t have. The practice manager then became extremely angry (despite me being calm and meaning no harm other than to express why I was ok with not returning), told me he changed his mind and was going to charge me the full $550, and that I didn’t go to vet school so I have no idea what I’m talking about, before he hung up in my face.

TL;DR: This location has friendly yet inexperienced vets, techs who are unfamiliar with the plans/services they offer, and practice managers who blame customers instead of holding employees accountable for their mistakes. They overcharge and perform unnecessary services without your consent. See a real vet who cares about the well-being of your pet more than their own wallet.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have used several times (4) three for shots and once for an ill cat. When I called to bring in the cat I was told there would be tests required in excess of $250 bill. Was over $400. The vet said there was nothing wrong. She gave me some meds and said cat was just old and this would help with her joints. After a few days it continued I called back, could not talk to the VET. So no help or follow up. Well for short after several days the cat died. Never received a call follow up from vet. Looks to me just a money machine and has no compassion for clients or animals. I will never use them again and pass it to anyone who asks.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have 3 dogs, 1 13 year old Chihuahua all of 4.5 lbs and 2 -2 yr old American Bulldogs. I put all my dogs on the wellness plan, the optimum plan for the 13 yr old dog, which was to include teeth cleaning and 2 comprehensive exams per year and the bloodwork. The 2 younger dogs were on the puppy plan. I just cancelled all plans for all three dogs. Now get this, the plan for the 13 yr old dog is $53.95 per month, which equates to $647.40 per year. She went twice to get her parvo, distemper & Bordetella shots, her fecal and heart worm test. Or as Banfield calls it her Comprehensive exam. Her rabies was done 3 years ago and is not due so was not done. I chose not to have them clean her teeth this year due the last time Banfield did it she struggled to come out of the anesthesia, so needless to say yes, it should be done, but not at the risk of possibly killing my 13 yr old tea cup Chihuahua.

So as said earlier, when I called to cancelled the jerk I spoke to did everything in his power to get me to keep the plan. The 13 yr old dog's plan is due to renew in April 2019 and this guy told me that I still owed Banfield 3 payments at $53.95 because of the 2 visits. My dog did not use any of the dental services or anesthesia services I paid out of pocket $400.00 for her last visit, but yet I still owe them $160.00 for services rendered. Really guys, I would think that I shouldn't have to pay the $160.00 because I didn't use all of the services. (ie the dental portion. So what they really are saying to me is that each of the 2 visits in one year for this tiny dog cost them $323.70 in services provided per visit.

Also the last time my 2 yr old female was at Banfield she was traumatized by those people. Like wanted to eat them, my husband had to go in the back and get her out of the kennel. So needless to say, I have found a new vet who actually does free work in our community for the strays, which is pretty cool and she is a very sweet and caring woman with reasonable fees for her services. After using Banfield Pet Hospital for the last 3 years, I'm done and recommend to others If your pets are part of your family as in like 4 legged children, beware when considering a Banfield Hospital. There are lots of other cons and a few pros that I can list but the money part is what really got me. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I took my pet in for teeth cleaning and pedicure. My pet has extreme anxiety. The agreement was to do the pedicure while under anesthesia. The Veterinarian when talking to me I asked why her nails looked so long. She shows me how she almost cut the quick (spelling) and had to stop the bleeding then realizes "oh it looks like I forgot to cut them" she tried to grab my dog to do her nails, which my dog snapped at her. I was not going to let them traumatize my pet any more than what she already went through. There was NO understanding on how this was a major mistake.

I pay for the Wellness plan and had to pay an additional $675. They still charged for the pedicure and I had to ask for the credit. The 1st visit they gave her a rabies vaccine she was not due for. They had her medical records and failed to look. They gave a prescribed for a cream for her bottom that cost $28 and was not need. He bottom was not red or irritated. They charged for a pedicure and anal gland secretion the 1st fist but due to her anxiety (which is why we made the agreement to do her pedicure under anesthesia) was not able to do it. They still left it on my bill.

Again I had to make sure to ask for them to remove it. My pet means EVERYTHING TO ME. They had no understanding of how I felt. Yes I did get very upset. The lady up front told me "stop being a **." When I asked for the supervisors number they told me they had to check because it was a HIPAA violation to give me her number. But they did not have a problem giving me another customers receipt with all his information. (Phone #, name address, payment method, pets medical problems and name). I'm sure he did not appreciate me calling him to let him know what they did.

I never got a follow up call to see how my pet was doing. I told them I will post what they did and was told it was slander. Banfield, the employees, the Wellness plan is the worst. I have no problems letting everyone know my experience. I believe word of mouth (Facebook) is a great way to spread the word. So my advise to anyone is STAY AWAY FROM BANFIELD AND THEIR WELLNESS PLAN.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This company is awful. My son is deployed. He left his dog with me. She was a rescue puppy severe anxiety. Has to take medication before I can take her to vet even for nail trim. He resides in North Carolina. I’m in Maryland. I tried to get medication so I can take her to get nails trimmed. They could not refill without seeing her. When I asked how can I take her without the medication they said they would give her a shot when she got there at a cost of over $100! I’ve tried to cancel wellness plan and take her to my vet but even though the payment is coming out of my account I'm not allowed to cancel. It seems he has to write a letter or email to cancel!

They are very unprofessional. When I take her they always have attitude as if they don’t want to be there. When I called customer service I had a 45 minute wait for a callback which turned out to be an hour and they were very unhappy and rude that I was trying to cancel. I tried another number which is supposed to be an advocate and they were even worse. I feel like they have no interest in either your animal or customer service. Just want your money. So please consider finding a fa that actually cares about your animal before signing anything.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I do not like writing bad reviews! My dog visits more than a year Banfield, we bought an annual plan. (I read the recommendations of other users and waiting for the end of the first year to cancel it.) In September 2018 (3 month ago), we had a routine vaccination. I still do not understand why the exact same procedure for my cat, (but my husband goes with her — costs ten times cheaper, by the way, he paid $25 for a cat, and I am $250 for a dog. It seems that the most thing they doing it sales, and sales by pressure and intimidation.) So, in Sept I discussed with the doctor that in January I want to change Heartgard to the Revolution, they did a lot of tests, I asked to write out a prescription for the Revolution, and the doctor said that everything would be in the system, available at any time!

But not available! A week ago, I personally with a dog came to one of the hospitals to buy Revolution, which the dog will need in a week. I was sent to the same address where we vaccinated. (OK. But you know that when you try to make an appointment, sometimes you have to choose the address where there is time to receive, because most of the time people also work!) For some reason, in a rather aggressive form, the clerk said that I DO NOT NEED A REVOLUTION... THEY DON'T ADVISE IT. It confused me and I had to interrupt the receptionist, saying that I rely on the recommendations of friends and other users!

I arrived at a different address. They told me there that they only had a revolution with home delivery, which I had to pay a considerable amount plus the cost of the medicine clearly exceeded the cost online. Then they offered me what is in stock, very expensive. I explained that I would order online! They confirmed which information I should provide for ordering online (hospital name and doctor's name). NO ONE TOLD ME THAT THE DOCTOR NEEDS TO CHECK OUT MY DOG TO BE ABLE TO APPROVE REQUEST FOR AN ORDER!

On January 12, I ordered the Revolution on CHEWY.COM (which, by the way, I was advised in this hospital). Today, January 16, the hospital did not respond to 2 requests from CHEWY.COM. I called the hospital, where the operator told me that I should bring the dog to do a test again! Here I could not stand it. Yes, I spoke loudly to insert my question into her monotonous reading "No, we cannot," "Yes, I understand you," but the OPERATOR STARTED SCREAMING ON ME! Sorry, but the client here - I am! And it's not my fault that there was no response to 2 requests.

What's the matter with the heartworm infection medication? I tried to switch to this medicine 6 months ago, but there was exactly the same situation: I place an order on the Internet, but they cannot receive confirmation from the vet! Give the recipe to my hands in this case! I can send a fax to CHEWY or other company and I can receive medicines on time! By the way, I spent 4.5 days and my dog ​should take the Revolution in 2 days!

Then I called the hospital, which is closer to me, explained the situation, wanted to make an appointment for this test but in different location and THEIR OPERATOR TOLD ME that I DO NOT need to do this test. Seriously guys! You make it all too complicated! Your service is not convenient, I have less and less trust in you. Take the money, but let me save my time and avoid stress! Be people, help your customers!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This wellness plan will rip you off! Barely useful. The doctors are not available at the most inconvenient time. Oh, and heartworm & flea preventatives are WAY cheaper through 1800petmeds.com. Also, I think it's way better to pay a vet to do the annual checkups. They literally steal your money in a legal way.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I took my dog in because she had a tooth that needed to be pulled. I told the dr three times during appointment I did not want to have her teeth cleaned, she had it done 9 months ago and I never wanted to do it again. I was double talked and did not know when I took her in 4 days later that they cleaned her teeth and claimed I was told what they would be doing. I didn’t have my glasses when I took her in at 7 am for procedure and the dr assistant filled out the paperwork and had me sign.

This is not about the money because I thought I was paying $400 for her tooth to be pulled and I didn’t know that price included cleaning, I was expecting to pay $400 anyway but did not want my dog to be put to sleep that extra time because she doesn’t do well for days. I wanted it to be fast so they would not be giving her that much medication. I feel I was double talked and my dog is now suffering as result. They tried to sell me a new wellness plan, I will never go back again. NEVER!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Almost 3 years ago I signed my puppy up for Banfield Wellness Plan thinking it was a great way to keep my dog on the right track. After her second appointment I picked her up with a huge red bulge coming out of her eye, of course no one knew what happened so I called to cancel my plan and took her to another vet which had to repair the eye with surgery. I only brought my dog for 2 visits there when I had canceled. After that they refuse to remove a $400 charge for cancelling! After what myself, my puppy and my children had to go through and the money I had to pay to repair her eye they have the nerve to tell me I signed a contract so I owe them that money even though I never again used their services! Horrible, horrible place.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

This company will not stop charging me for services that I am NOT using!!! 30 minutes or more wait to speak with someone. TERRIBLE customer service. Accusatory tones while on the phone. I do not have my dog any longer and did not use any services into the new year yet they will not stop charging me or refund any payments. If and when I do get another pet I will avoid this company like the plague. I suggest all who are reading this to do the same and save yourself time, energy and stress.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Our golden ret. was ill. Vomited once and had diarrhea. My husband took her in to Banfield, where a clerk printed up a care needed as by her judgment (this clerk) determined was needed! It totaled $999.86 and told my husband he needed to sign. At this point no vet has even looked at her. He was told he needed to leave her and came home. He told the clerk that she had to be kidding when she told him the amount. This is unbelievable!!! When we came to pick her up, the vet said nothing was found, and they gave us an anti diarrhea, med, and a probiotic??? The paperwork first gave the date and time we came in, second was the medical authorization release "signed" you bet, and the bill was $999?? I will be advertising for others scammed this way and contacting an attorney, perhaps a class action suit. I also will not be shopping with PetSmart for anything.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I told them my dogs had died of old age yet they still charged me $73 a month. When I called, again, to cancel, this time to the central hub in WA, the person misspelled my name and thus couldn't find me and quickly told me to dispute it with my bank. What? You're company just charged my cc. So she looked me up another way and basically said 'yeah, we've been screwing you for many months, sorry - I'll get you to that other department' and proceeded to place me on hold for another 30 minutes before I called back on another phone.

Talk about corporate greed. All they want is your hard earned money. Never ever will I ever do business with Banfield after the way they have treated me. Losing a pet is painful enough. One call to the vet should be all it takes to cancel the crummy plan. Why do I have to spend a day on the phone with having to call different no's, be the logic for dumb receptionists so that they can actually find my account, then get placed on hold multiple times? They have no empathy.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My pet passed away in November. I'm still paying even though the pet is no longer with us. It's not only the $300 I paid to have the pet cremated but now they're still charging me for another 4 months. Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Twice I had Dr. ** and he tried upselling after misdiagnosing without even examining my dog. The second visit I was verbally abused, told to go to a bank and get a personal loan if I didn’t have the money and threatened to have my dog put down if I didn’t do what I was told. I went to a different vet and tried to cancel with Banfield to be told I had to continue my monthly payments for 11 months before the plan would cancel. DO NOT use Banfield. The service is substandard, diagnosis is used to upsell and they don’t give a crap about your pet.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

My dog had a bladder infection (saw blood on the floor). I called for a appointment and was told they're booked out for two weeks even after I explained the reason. I called another Banfield and was told the same thing. I also ask that my Vet or any Vet to give me a call. No one did. I went to another Veterinarian clinic close by the next day and I was told I was the 2nd person there from my Banfield that had been denied an apt and it was only 10 am.

My dog did have a bladder infection and a double ear infection and after paying for a office call, urinalysis testing, and medicine it cost me almost $300.00. I did go back to Banfield two weeks later for a recommended follow-up and complained to the girl at the desk that denied me the original opt and she lied to my face that she did. And I also told my dog's Veterinarian about what happened and how I had to go to another clinic. He charged me for another urinalysis and $80.00 for “stronger” medicine he said she needed.

When all said and done I spent over $400 between the 2 clinics. I also ask the Vet that in the future if my dog were to get sick where should I bring her? He couldn’t answer me. I complained to the “supervisor” of the office staff and I asked her the same question about where to bring my dog if she were to get sick again, couldn’t answer me other than this place is for “preventative care” only. She did say she’s going to pay my next 3 months of my Banfield Pet plan. Well that didn’t happen.

Now the company wants to charge me another $8 on to my Pet plan when my plan renews. Don’t think so. No way will I renew. I should have read all the Banfield bad reviews before I went to Banfield and signed on for the pet care plan. By the way I could write more about a few other bad experiences I had there but not enough room. This was with Banfield Pet Hospital at the quarry in NE Minneapolis, MN.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My dog passed away on 11/8/2018. Called to cancel his well plan and they are still charging me. This organization is a disgrace. You are upset because they never detected he had cancer even though he went prior for a well visit and they took blood. Once I took him somewhere else they diagnose with bone cancer. Poor thing had to put to sleep since he was unable to walk. Everyone do not go this place or pay for the wellness plan. They couldn't care less for people who love their animals. They only care about making money off of those you would take the time to spend money on a plan to make sure their animals are ok. They can't even detect if there is a problem with your dear animal. They make me sick. Thank God I found a real place that put the animals first and it's not about money.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We took our cat in to see the vet because he was having trouble breathing. The vet did not recognize the severity of his condition. She didn't diagnose him properly and prescribed medications that were useless to his condition. The next day he was in such breathing distress, gasping for breath that we had to rush him to the Emergency Animal Hospital. He was then diagnosed with advanced asthma and was in the hospital for 3 days. This was not the first time that we had taken him to Banfield. He had been seen several times by the same Vet for coughing spells. Each time she prescribed antibiotics which would help for short periods of time. But on those visits his symptoms were relatively mild in comparison to the distress and difficulty he was having this last time.

Had the Vet been a better diagnostician, she would have realized that he was suffering from Asthma all along. We now have 3 oral medications to give him and 2 inhalation medications to administer. We have to take him back to the hospital for reevaluation into weeks and hopefully get a better sense of what his prognosis will be. The ER Doctor saved his life for now.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information