Banfield Pet Hospital

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I took my dog for vaccinations that I adopted because previous owner passed away. She was 6 years old. Somehow I was advised into getting an Optimum Wellness Plan because the dog has bad breath and was told all her teeth needed to be extracted and it would be cheaper if I accepted the plan. I have not been able to pay for the plan or take the dog for the extraction because is too expensive. I am constantly being harassed with phone calls to pay this plan that I cannot afford. I am a senior citizen and this has been extremely difficult for me. What is confusing to me I bought the dog PEDIGREE DENTASTIX and Arm & Hammer Dental Water Additive and the dog no longer has bad breath and seems a very happy little dog. I may have to give up on my dog and take to a shelter if I am forced to pay for this plan.

Our cat, Layla, started to limp while I was out of town on a business trip. The second day she was limping my 12 year old daughter took Layla to Banfield in Pleasant Hill, California where she was diagnosed with an ingrown claw. Banfield recommended immediate surgery to fix the claw and had my daughter leave Layla with them. My daughter picked Layla up several hours later and was told that the claw was removed and that Layla had stitches that would fall out in a few days. Then they charged her $759 for the visit and the surgery. Layla chewed the bandage off of her foot later that same day. No stitches! And, her claw had not been removed - it was still intact! Layla had only a tiny, tiny red spot on her paw where her claw had grown long enough around to poke into the pad of her paw. Banfield simply clipped the claw to shorted it and the problem was fixed.

Clearly a simple pair of claw clippers fixed the problem. So why the lie to my 12 year old about surgery and stitches and claw removal? I supposed as an avenue to turn a $50 routine visit into a very lucrative one. I can not believe that Banfield lies like this and to a CHILD! They told my child that her cat needed surgery! Can you imagine how upset and worried she was? What dishonest, terrible, horrible people they are! And then they stole money from her - they charged her almost $800 to clip a toenail!!! WHAT is WRONG with those people? NEVER take your animal to Banfield! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!

1st puppy visit: Very disappointed and disgusted with this animal hospital, I brought my puppy's shot record and this hospital claimed that the records were not legit because the previous owner purchased the vaccines and gave the shots herself to the puppy and because of that they had to start over (LIES) another way to take your money, if that's the case then how do diabetics stick themselves at home so it's legal for a human to do so but not an animal... then they tried to convince me into signing a 12 months $35 dollar a month contract for unlimited visit.

Think about it, one minute who really takes their dog or cat to the vet monthly unless the animal has an incurable disease that needs frequent visits. Thank god I wasn't dumb enough to sign then they didn't even returned my old shot record claimed, they couldn't find it (hmmm wonder why). I submitted a review about the visit someone did call me back. She was worse than the place. She acted as she didn't even care. I hate this place. They are rip offs. Their prices are ridiculous. I should had did my homework before just walking in there $255.00 dollars later for my puppy's first visit, guess in the end they won but that's ok. They will never get another red cent out of me and hopefully not others who read this.

I was excited when I got Simba my Chow enrolled in Banfield’s Wellness Plan where I paid a monthly fee for his vet visits, for his shots, surgery discounts and health visits. My main purpose was for the fact that we knew he had Entropion which is a common issue in larger Chows knowing he would need that done. When I first enrolled in the plan we knew he would need the surgery done and they told us we could get it done there and at a discount 10% rate. It's an expensive surgery so it would be beneficial. The surgery couldn't be done until he was a bit older because his face had to grow before they did it or it could do more harm than benefit.

As time went on and I paid for the plan it came time to where he could have the surgery done. Well my Banfield location decided THEN they were going to go back on their word. They didn't want to do it. They didn't feel comfortable. I argued and complained about it for sometime before they decided to tell me that there was a Banfield doctor far away from my convenience that would do it but ONLY, ONLY, ONLY if I got him fixed at the same time. I told them I did not want him fixed. I had a male and a female for a reason. They knew that from the get-go but after arguing with the corporate office in a BBB dispute I noticed they enrolled me in a wellness plan for neuter which costed more even though I told the lady I didn't want him neutered so it's like they planned it all along. So basically they told me either I get him fixed OR my dog would be in pain and they would do nothing about it.

I ended up having to go to a different vet and pay full price for the surgery, meds, anesthesia, etc then pay for the stitches to be removed following surgery for full price. I contacted Banfield and complained. They contacted me. I complained. Told them what happened. Nothing got resolved. I didn't receive the benefits listed for what I signed up for and what they signed me up for without telling me (the neuter) but Banfield still expects their money? I felt as if Banfield was underqualified to provide the care for my family member and I didn't want to take him back... I didn't feel comfortable and the fact I was lied to and conned into the agreement by being given falsely provided information made me not trust them. Banfield breached the agreement not myself by providing a disservice to my dog which is my family member to where I had to go elsewhere.

So Banfield terminated the relationship as my family vet not myself. Now they sent my account to collections on my credit report. I paid money monthly until this happened. Afterwards I didn't want anything to do with their vet office. They're vet doctors and inexperienced uncomfortable doing common procedures. Have horrible reviews on here which I didn't see until after what happened to Simba, so I took my business elsewhere. Garbage, don't do it. Don't believe what they say because all they care about is your signature on that dotted line of the agreement obligating you to pay which the FANTASTIC corporate office replied with to my BBB complaint and didn't care to resolve my complaint. Look at the rest of the reviews, don't fall into it like we did. Get a real vet, not a place in a overpriced pet store.

After moving to new city with my 12 week old, 3 lb puppy who needed his puppy shots and flea/tick prevention (especially since California has terrible problem with fleas which we didn't have in my former hometown) I decided on a whim to take him to vets at local PetSmart. Worst decision I could have made. The first thing they do before even examining puppy is to sell me a monthly paid plan at almost $50 per month, totalling over $700 per year when all I wanted was 1st round of puppy shots and flea prevention med. Only after my firm insistence that all he needed were shots and flea meds, did they make sure his testicles had descended and did nothing more as far as "exam". No temperature, or looking in his ears or mouth. They then weighed him, gave him shots and handed me flea med to apply to his skin myself at home.

I then paid the outrageous bill of $128 & went home. Since I had a wonderful vet in my former hometown, who truly cared about animals and never overcharged or tried dispelling, I knew this wasn't the same sort of veterinary practice and was certain I wouldn't be coming back there for vet services. 30 days later though and only because they didn't give me an actual prescription for flea medication I went back to PetSmart and purchased the same puppy flea medication they'd sold me the month before.

After administering to my now almost 16 week old 4 lb puppy, he started chasing his tail for literally 2 hours which had me panicked after reading warning in docs they gave me that said if animal starts "circling" to immediately bring him back to vet as this can be serious reaction to medication. So I rushed him back to Banfield Pet Hospital, explained issue and their first words were "This visit will cost another $60 for exam". I was shocked and disgusted and then found a reputable vet in my new hometown. Don't risk your pet's health or safety by going to these used car salesman like scam artists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

I have had a horrible experience with the service of Banfield Pet Veterinary. They misdiagnosed my dog. The dog had to be put down. I was also in a wellness program which charge me each month. I paid for many of the services x-rays with my dog got sick and each time I paid a bill upfront yet they still wanted to charge me $500 for the rest of the wellness plan. Do not use this service.

Took my dog in to Banfield Apple Valley CA. He saw Doctor Tess **. After spending $600 in test she wrote me three prescriptions for my dog. I went to CVS to fill them, they only had carried two of the medications, the third medicine was an antibiotic. I went back to Banfield and told them CVS did not have it. Could they give me an alternative medication. I was told that it had to be that particular antibiotic and to try other pharmacies which I did. Went to Walgreens and CVS. No one had it. I then called the office and asked again for another antibiotic. Was told the Doctor was in surgery and they would call me back before closing. No one ever called.

The next morning I called and asked again for another antibiotic. My dog is sick. He needs an antibiotic. Was told again the Doctor was in surgery. I had to raise my voice and threaten to report them to the BBB if I did not get an antibiotic for my dog, and if I had to take him to another vet I wanted a full refund. They called back within five minutes and said they found someone with the medication and would send it to me overnight. So here it is two days with a sick dog and no antibiotic and will be at least 1 more day before my sick dog has his medication. Horrible. How can you prescribe a medication that you don't offer or no one else does? How can a ethical Veterinarian let your sick animal not have an antibiotic for three days? She could have started him on something so the infection would not get worse but choose not to. Will never ever take any of my pets back to this so-called hospital.

Today I cancelled our Wellness Plan with Banfield as we no longer needed it. I had been reading on your site about all the terrible problems people have had with the cancellation process so I was really nervous and on guard for the up-sell etc that people have talked about. I ended up speaking with a super nice young man and he took care of every thing with a cheerful and understanding attitude. By the way, we have been with Banfied for approximately 13 years in two states (Anderson SC and Mount Vernon WA). We have never had an issue with any of the vets, nor their helpers. We'll probably sign up for the Puppy Wellness Plan when we get our next dog. No complaints whatsoever!

Banfield sent my wire haired dachshund home with probiotics and No antibiotics when we took him in with a bad skin infection. He would have died if I had not taken him to our current vet, with whom my doxie had to spend 3 days in intensive care and be fed plenty of antibiotics.

Brought a rescue dog to pet hospital. Paid cash value upfront for one visit. Got talked into a membership. Was told I could cancel anytime. Pet ended up placed with adoptive family. Been bugged, harassed now six months for monthly fee. Reported to BBB. Complaint ignored. Dishonest company. Pure fraud, bank extremely sympathetic. Banfield should be banned! STAY AWAY.

I've had Banfield for my cat for more than 5 years now and I'm done with these people. Before I cancel it I need to express how they made me feel today cause this can help other pet owners not to bring their loved ones there anymore. My cat has had bad experiences with them but as he gets really stressed when he goes to the vet (almost all cats do) I usually apologize and understand they can't see him right away cause of their excuse of having surgeries, etc etc, but you know what? It's not my fault if they have more urgent patients, get more employees to help then, stop trying to make it so profitable by doing what they did to my cat today.

Now I have another cat that I adopted who is in the wellness plan too, I dropped my both cats off today at 7 am, as they asked me. They both had ear issues, fungus and bacteria, and they were supposed to be treated today. One was going to have dental cleaning too, which he did have and the other one was going to have blood work and to have his ears cleaned so he would need sedation because of his behavior. All of which was recommended by Dr. ** in Pompano Beach and I followed his instructions.

After 7 hours, a Banfield employee called me and said they needed my approval for sedation. What? I asked. "Korisko who is supposed to have his ears treated has not been seen yet cause we are very busy." Can you imagine how a cat would be in a strange place inside his carrier after 7 hours? He pooped and was stepping on it when I came at 4 o' clock to pick him up and he had not been medicated, no blood work done, no food, water, nothing at all. So please pet owners, do not do that to your pets, this place failed to give my cat treatment, attention and seemed not to really care about it.

I started crying at the reception cause I could not believe this was happening again and the receptionist, a guy (Friday 24th at 4 o'clock) really could not care less about how I was feeling as if they had no obligation to do anything. I called the corporate office and the employee Darcelle said I had to put a formal claim, bla bla bla. So they protect themselves so much that for my claim to change something in this company it will take forever or even never will other procedures be enforced and we will be treated well.

When Pompano Beach opened I thought, different from Coral Springs and Margate, I would be able to trust the people there. Well, they got busier and busier and are the same as the others. Their board is full of pets' names, it feels like a factory production line, numbers, numbers, numbers. My both pets are now under my bed and even though they are hungry they won't come out, that is how BANFIELD makes them feel, traumatized by a doctor's visit. And worse, now I will have to take them somewhere (which I should have anyways) to have their ears cleaned and medicated, which was the main reason they went there today. I'm done.

I am going through some difficult financial times due to being unemployed for eight months last year, so I needed to cancel the wellness plans for my dogs to free up some income. Was told since I had used the plans, I now owed them over $600 to cancel them. I have paid over $1200 to date for the plan for 3 dogs, and they say I owe over $600 more. This is for a puppy plan. I will never do business with them ever again.

I took my cat to Banfield with an ear infection. They checked his ear and he growled due to them pulling on his ear. They informed me that I needed to bring him back the next day because they had to put him under with anesthesia because he was a vicious cat. I took him back the next morning and they said I had to pay for another office visit. They had already taken him back and I decided I wanted my cat back. It took them about 10 minutes to find him.

After that I decided I didn't want them to have any paperwork I had filled out so I asked for it. It took another 10 minutes for them to find that also. I left there and went to a vet office near my home. I had never used them but they took him in as a walk in. They removed the wax without anesthesia and allowed me in the room, and they laughed about Banfield calling him a vicious cat. I called Banfield head office after this ordeal was over. They never apologized. To the contrary, they told me that I was just a pebble of sand in the ocean. Since that day I have warned every pet owner I know of my experience.

I had heard mixed reviews from many people about this place but I wanted some help with my dog Ariel. She was 7 years old and hadn't been keeping down anything, or very little, and we wanted to help her. We went there to see if they could help her and we got her checked out... But they refused to do ANYTHING but just a physical... ALL BECAUSE WE DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY AND WE COULDN'T GET CREDIT!!! My dog died a week later when she probably could have been saved if they had just helped her. I will NEVER EVER go back to that place. They killed my dog because we didn't have money to pay for the visit... And they wouldn't let us pay in a couple days... DO NOT GO TO THIS EXCUSE OF AN ANIMAL HOSPITAL. THEY WON'T HELP YOUR ANIMAL IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS!!!

I made an appointment for spay of my cocker spaniel two months in advance. My pet had regular check ups, but not with this facility, and was healthy with documentation to prove it. I arranged my work schedule to be home with her post op. Arrived for the appointment at the scheduled time and was told surgery was cancelled since Banfield had not seen her. This was discussed at the appointment setting, that my pet had been to regular office visits elsewhere and since moving, we wanted Banfield to do her surgery. During the phone call I was told this was ok, that the Dr. would check her out prior to surgery.

I received no notification of any kind in the two months that the appointment was cancelled. The girl at the counter said she called but the call did not go through. I received no phone calls from this office and no notification whatsoever that the surgery would not be performed as scheduled. This is exceptionally poor customer service resulting in lost time from work, inconvenience, lack of sincerity when reporting the cancellation, misrepresentation of professional services, discomfort to my pet with being NPO since midnight, and complete disregard for what appears to be their error in not putting her surgery on the schedule. I would never leave my pet in the care of this hospital.

BE AWARE. Banfield's Wellness Plan is ONE-YEAR plan -- REGARDLESS IF YOUR PET DIES. We helped someone who had fallen on hard times, pay for her dog's care through the Banfield Wellness Plan because it was cheaper than regular vet visits. My name however was not on the wellness plan paperwork but I supplied my credit card information to pay the bills. At the beginning of the last month of the one-year plan, I called Banfield to cancel the plan because the woman we helped was long gone and her dog died. Banfield refused to cancel the plan because my name was not on the plan. I therefore reported my credit card lost and received a new card with a new account number. Lo and behold, Banfield put through the first month of the second year on my new credit card account number without my permission.

I found out I could cancel via the automated phone system and even though the DOG IS DEAD, Banfield says I still owe them 10 months of wellness payments because as I write this, I just saw a second month's wellness charge pending on my credit card. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THE DOG IS DEAD. I HATE BANFIELD and would NEVER RECOMMEND them for anyone's pet care if this is how they conduct business. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau as well for unacceptable business practices.

Just be careful. A renal cat needs its blood pressure checked. This was not done despite my cat having her wellness check. So she went blind. Meds were given. She spent another 8 hours in the clinic for a re-check and I was told, "The med was not working so just go to a specialist." NOT checking the blood pressure was in my opinion neglectful. My lab has a neuropathy that it is my understanding is fairly common. The vet did not know what it was. So he got a chest xray he probably didn't need. The 2nd vet, literally, knew what the problem was in 10 seconds. Some Banfield vets are great and they are all nice, but I will never go back.

When I signed up for the "Wellness" Plan, I thought it was pet insurance and was not informed otherwise. The contract was very vague and confusing in many areas, but I trusted such a large well known organization. Maybe they were reputable in the past but now I would strongly advise everyone to stay away! After less than year, I moved to another town where the Banfield was just too far away. When I tried to cancel I was told that I could not since it had not been a year. I did not use any services from them during the last 6 months of the contract but paid the monthly amount. When the year was actually up, I called again to cancel. I was talked into "trying out the plan for a short time" to see if I liked the Banfield in my new town even though it was over a 20 mile round trip.

I tried them out and then had many of the bad experiences listed by other reviewers, and again tried to cancel. They ignored me and continued billing my credit card. After several more calls that were ignored I finally had to put a stop payment on my card to get rid of the unwanted charges. After this I began to be harassed constantly by them threatening me that I "owed money for services" which I had actually paid for. I asked several times for an itemized statement but never received one. I am now being threatened with collection for who knows what. If they were smart they would not treat people like this, because I am sure that upon reading these many bad reviews, they are losing more customers than they make by bullying and harassing people. What good company does this to people?

SO! BANFIELD OVERDOSED MY DOG!!!! My dog goes to Banfield Hospital on S. Kipling St in Littleton Co to be neutered on Jan 30th. They tell us how to care for him etc and gave us ** 75mg to give him starting today (the 31st). We look at bottle and it states "1/2 pill every 2 hours." I thought this is weird... So I look at the discharge papers and see nothing about dosage just warnings and what it's for. So we give it to our dog as it stated... Day of surgery he was great, eating, playing calmly and just being him... Then the pills began today! As the day progressed he had a hard time standing up, he was walking as if he was drunk, he was lying down and not really moving much, he was looking at the other two dogs all confused and didn't interact as he usually does, then looks at me and starts growling and won't come near me. He's staring at me as if he didn't know me and backing away.

So I google this drug and Banfield MISLABELED the dose! The pills were to be given every 12 hours NOT every 2!!! So I call Banfield and talk to lady and they put me on hold to get a doctor and this horrid "Tech" gets on and tells me she's "sorry you misread the label" and I said "no, you misprinted the label, I did as the label stated." She said "clearly you didn't because I'm staring at the label right here and it CLEARLY states every 12 hours." I said "that's funny bc I have the bottle in my hand it clearly states every 2 hours." She said "I'm looking at my computer right here. It's a 12." I said "OMG the bottle is in my hand, it's a 2, I can read it just fine." She said "well clearly you can't." I said "excuse me?!!!" She said "well you have 3 options, take him to an ER or call one of the two poison controls." I said "he obviously needs to be seen bc he's not himself." She said "then take him to Deer Creek."

I said "ok, and do I bring you the bill or how is that part handled?" She said "oh we're not paying for your error." I said "well yes you are paying bc it's your error not mine." She said "I reprinted the label and clearly see it's your mistake and we're not paying for your error." I said "you will pay for this bc it is YOUR mistake and I'll sue for it if I have to." So she chuckles. I said "ohhhhhkay honey... I'm going to tell you right now, we're not going to be friends, I suggest you put someone on that can make decisions bc I'm done with how you're speaking to me." She said "it won't matter who you speak to. We're not paying for your error, it's not our fault you can't read it properly."

I said "WHO do I speak with?" She said all cocky and smart assy. "You can speak to Will, I have this printed and tell you right now he won't help you nor will be paying". I said "oh yes you will dear, and I'm done speaking with you about my dog." She began talking again and I said "clearly you're not understanding English," and hung up!

Now my dog is at Deer Creek and he threw up right before we left! LOOK AT THIS LABEL!! Does anyone see a 12??? It CLEARLY states every 2 hours until gone! This employee is beyond rude and to instantly attack a patient family when clearly she can't see my bottle is NOT ok!!! Banfield WILL pay for this hospital stay and anything else that occurs bc of it! And that horrid "tech" NEEDS TO BE FIRED! This is NOT ok! We have been with them 10 years and 4 dogs!!!

Banfield sent me a text of an appt they set up for the dog's exam. I re-arranged my schedule, brought the dog in that day, and was told to leave her and the vet would see her later and I could pick the dog up in a few hours. What? That's an appt, where I get to ask the vet questions and get instructions, etc? I refused to leave the dog, and the girl insisted they had called me 3x (but there were no voicemails or calls on my phone) and pressured me to leave the dog. Or I could make an appt for another day that would be a real appointment where I got to be there while the dog was examined. Very deceptive, substandard care, and disrespectful of my time and schedule. Unacceptable. I've filed complaint with Banfield and am considering cancelling the dog's plan. This was at Lake Park, FL office.

I cancelled my membership for the Wellness plan and continued to get charged. They are now trying to get me via collection agency. I had one visit for our cat. I was very dissatisfied for the charge to evidently just bandage my cat's paw. I cancelled and never visited this place again. They never saw my cat again and they were paid for all services rendered. This plan was never used after the first experience due to the fact that they were some discrepancy on the service that was provided.

I have had a pet plan for a few years and was happy at first as only normal care for my pets. However once you have anything wrong with your pet you begin to notice that this plan does not cover anything and what it does cover is so grossly overpriced/valued that you can get it for much less at another vet and save money paying for the service as you go. I tried to cancel my plan - which I did not realize auto renewed which is a scam - and was told I had already used several hundred dollars of services. HOW? I took my dogs in for one of the two comprehensive exams offered and had to drop them off at 7am - they were to be done by 2pm. I went in to pick them up and was told that they had not been seen. I live a fair distance from the vet so I did not want to drive home and back. I told them I needed to have my dogs done and would do some errands and come back.

Not 30 minutes later I was called to say they were ready. So in 30 minutes they had done everything the exam called for. I picked them up and took them home. One day later my dog was shaking his head and looked in his ears - dirty as heck. Not cleaned or looked at the day before as we had been given a clean bill of health. These plans are a SCAM. Do not sign up for them. As stated above they do not cover anything major. You only get a small percentage of a discount and calling around to other vets the procedures are triple the price as anywhere else. Also they recommend items that are not necessary only to get the $$. Money greedy corporation that is not at all concerned with your pets well being.

I'm sorry that I had to give them a 1, I wish you could give negative stars. I have had nothing but trouble since I took my animals to Banfield. My 2 dogs and 2 cats both went to Banfield and were on wellness plans, before I discovered that they were horrible, then once locked in for a year, I didn't have a choice but to deal with their inept service.

The experience with my first cat, I brought her into the office, because she was breathing heavily, she was diagnosed with asthma. The doctor, prescribed us a steroid to help and recommended ** and an apparatus to help give her the inhaler. Ok - fine. I ordered everything, and started her on the steroid and every time I would ween her off the steroid like directed, her breathing became heavy and labored, I would call, talk to the doctor, and she would up her steroids again. The last time I spoke with the doctor, she said I was just overreacting that her breathing wasn't getting more labored. My cat died that night from an asthma attack. I felt like the mistreatment of not wanting to see my cat in the office to see if her breathing was labored etc was malpractice on the doctors part.

My other cat was also in a wellness plan, and she is older and was not eating, and losing weight. They gave me food that would help stimulate her appetite and some medicine that would also help. She still would not eat, went almost a week without eating, and me calling the vet every day, to see what we could do, before the vet tech suggested force feeding her food, which I did for a week and eventually she started eating again. But still was not gaining weight. I took her back to the doctor, and they tested her for diabetes and checked her thyroid. I should state that I wasn't seen at my appointment time, because I came 10 minutes before my appointment and checked in, or so I thought.

At 4:50pm, I was asked which animal I was waiting for. No one checked me in, or noticed that the doctor didn't see their patient that was scheduled? Once I got into the exam room, we had the testing done, I left, before the results because I had a dinner date with my in-laws. The vet tech called me back and told me that my cats thyroid was off the charts and that they would start her on medications - **. OK - I could call tomorrow and get the script etc.

When I got home from dinner - I looked her my cats medical records online to see the spelling of the medication etc so I can could start looking where to get the pill - because I had learned if you buy from Banfield they at least triple the cost. The medication in my cats chart, sounded nothing like the vet tech said so I googled it and it was a deworming medication. When I called back the next day, and explained, no one apologized. Nothing. If I had not noticed they were prescribing her the incorrect medicine, what would have happened?

Also, in general they have a slow and lazy staff. Half of the time, the doctor doesn't even put her hands on the animals, how does one give an exam from across the room? Or they take the animal TO the doctor, so when they are 'examining" the animal the owner isn't in the room. That varies from doctor to doctor. My current vet, examines my animals, examines their teeth, their coat, everything. Heaven forbid, you want to buy medications from someone other than them, they make the process exhausting.

I prefer to order my medications from Dr. Fosters and Smith, as, even with shipping there is a great difference in the cost. I have to constantly call Banfield and remind them that Dr. Foster has sent 2-3 faxes and they need to verify the medication so that it can be ordered. It takes a couple times of me being nice, and then not so nice to get it done. It is ridiculous! It is unprofessional and I am so glad that everyone's wellness plan is up and I can move onto my new vet who is AWESOME!

I took my dog to the hospital for regular shots. Somehow the girl talk me into a so called wonderful plan that I could cancel if something happened to my pet. The next week before I even used anything on the plan my dog passed away. I told them but they told me that was too bad. They are now taking money from me and my dog is gone. So to add pain to everything else I am paying for service for a deceased pet. I could go on but it only gets worse concerning them. Save yourself some heartache and go somewhere else. Trust me. It's not worth it.

Banfield Hospital is just out to get as much money from you as possible. When he was a puppy the wellness visits was fine. I had my first bad experience with Banfield when my dog was not himself, they did a blood test and said such and such was elevated, blah, blah. The Veterinarian was telling me I should go to a place that specializes in cancer until his Anal glands burst right on her. Of course after the burst he was fine. A second time Banfield recommended I should have a little growth removed from his head to test for cancer - of course it came back no cancer. After that he was fine. He passed away 1/18/2017 due to Leptospirosis.

The Veterinarian at Banfield thought he had pancreatitis and did a test for that and said that he indeed have the disease and his levels were high and it was not chronic but treatable. He was already in the early stages of Renal disease and his blood work was stable. We had brought him to have IV fluids from the morning till we picked him up at night. For 3 days he was also put on antibiotics. We paid about $1100 out of pocket thinking we would save our dog. We called them back to tell Banfield he was not improving so we brought him back. The Veterinarian tells us he is in pain and doesn't look good. So she give him a shot for pain the one thing I was grateful for.

We were told to bring him to a hospital that does ultrasound. Banfield calls me to tell me that the hospital we are going to does not have a ultrasound technician that day and I should go elsewhere. Pretty funny since my husband was at the hospital and they did have an ultrasound technician there at the same time she called. All my pet needed was a blood test to confirm that he had Leptospirosis and be treated with antibiotic if it was caught early. His blood work showed he was in complete kidney failure and did not have to have an ultra sound.

In December Banfield said his blood work had not changed that much. I think that Banfield did not do the necessary testing they needed to do to confirm what he did have. We spent $1100 for the wrong treatment. At the other Veterinarians Hospital office they could not believe that Banfield did not test his blood work the way that it should have been tested and how much they charged us. I do not recommend Banfield, The staff up front was nice but you don't really know what is happening behind closed doors.

We showed up first thing in the morning with our cat in a carrier asking to be seen because our cat had developed 4 bleeding sores on her face overnight (we had been going to Banfield for 2 years at this point). And we were told that the veterinarians didn't even come in for another hour and that there was no way she could be seen today. So we called another pet hospital, one we never visited before, and they could get us in within 20 minutes. That was the final straw for us never going back. But we also were irritated when a vet assistant argued with me on the phone about dropping my cat off for a standard check up instead of making an appointment and being with her. When I told him we weren't interested in leaving her for hours at the vet, his reply was "Why do you feel that way?" and attempted to convince me. It was weird. Plus for their "plan" you can set it up at the vet's office but conveniently you can't cancel it at their office...

I have been going to Banfield for 7 years since I brought my dog home. Beginning in late 2015 they started having you just drop your pet off instead of being in the room with them, but I trusted them. They ALWAYS said she was in great health. In August 2015 I moved too far from my Banfield so had requested my Optimum Wellness be canceled on my dog and cats. They ignored the request. Now mind you, they started seeing my dog when he was 12 weeks old. I signed up with a local vet where I have moved. When they examined her, they found she still had embedded baby teeth and her gums were so inflamed that she had to have major surgery to pull the baby teeth out and 6 other adult teeth. Banfield NEVER mentioned this. It's cost me well over a thousand dollars. Stay far, far away from this place.

I purchased a wellness plan November 2014, for 1 year. In Oct 2015 I called the Main office to cancel. January 2017 going through my checking account saw another charge from them so after checking, November and December had charges also I called corporate to get my refund for the 3 months they had charged after cancelling. I was told they couldn't find a record of my cancelling so they would NOT refund my monies. I have NOT used nor did I use their services these months. I strongly suggest you find another vet to work with as I wish I had as after reading several other post here that Banfield makes their money stealing from customers.

Be aware. This is not "Banfield Pet Hospital". It is Banfield pet clinic. They are in no way a hospital which is very misleading. Make sure you know when looking at your plan if there is not a number next to the service you get only 1. If you come in too late for them they will send you to an emergency clinic. Sometimes they won't even answer the phone. My "wellness plan" just cost me $2400.00 at the emergency clinic. Not even a medication discount. I am not renewing any of my animals’ plans. I will take them to a qualified veterinarian and get pet insurance that actually works. At my clinic there is only 1 vet that is compassionate and qualified to help an animal in my opinion. Too bad she is there. I would never recommend them to anyone and have been there for 7 years. Quit once before and was suckered into going back. I gave them 1 star because there is nothing lower. I can pay for shots and a check-up for the same amount it costs for their plan.

This plan is really a complete joke. As a pets get older this provides absolutely no value. I had to put my beloved pet to sleep in early December - not only did the wellness service continue to charge me but when I called to cancel they said I had a balance. I paid about 8k out of pocket for end of life care for my pet none of which was covered in the wellness plan. When I called to talk to them after being on hold for 30 min - they wanted me to wait more time too to talk with customer service to see if I could get a discount on the remaining balance. Although the vets at Woodbridge were wonderful to my pet as he got progressively more ill they were unable to care for him and I sought specialized vet care in NYC. Please avoid the optimum wellness plan unless your pet is young and healthy - and their customer service stinks and is unreachable on the weekends.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Profile