1.24/5
Based on 126 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1725 Banfield Pet Hospital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

The staff at front desk at Jackson, MS location is very rude and unprofessional. Got a call for appointment scheduled and the person mentioned that the appointment was scheduled for today instead of tomorrow. I was surprised but quickly changed my plans and took the pet there. They refused to accept the pet and did not accept the mistake they made in scheduling. I was delayed by more than hour at work and had to drive extra 45 miles just because of this miscommunication. The least they could do is keep the pet (who is on their Early Care Plus plan) for few hours so that I could report for work and pick during lunch. Very unsatisfied.

When I tried to cancel the plan, after half an hour wait on phone, they told me I owe them more than I would have paid in installments anyway (what a scam). They tell you that there are no commitments and you can cancel any time. Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy. Preferred solution: Full refund. I didn't like: Wellness plans, Staff, Customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Banfield location at 305 N. Marketplace Blvd., Lansing, MI, had us give 2 tranquilizer pills (one on Friday evening and one that following Saturday morning), to my mother's 18 month old Puggle, prior to us being able to bring him in to have his nails groomed. Something I felt reluctant about from the start and now I definitely regret that we did. Once checked in, Mickey was taken into the back for what seemed like 10-15 minutes, then returned to us in a most disturbing and highly unprofessional manner. As we greeted the Banfield Rep that brought him out to us, I was taken aback by the way she greeted us by asking if we had checked out yet, almost sounding as if we would be expected to walk out without paying.

But the insult was even worse than expected. It turns out that Mickey had given the folks in the backroom a struggle, or so they said and supposedly it took 3 people to hold him down while weighing just under 30 pounds and drugged. Therefore, they proceeded to charge us $30+ for the service, which was almost double the cost of what we have usually been charged. When my Mother mentioned to me in front of the receptionist that she was going to change service providers for Mickey, the receptionist seemed to take pleasure in chiming in that if my Mother decided to do so, just let her know and she would be happy to forward his records.

The main thing that I find unconscionable about all of this is; 1) They charged my mother $11 for supposedly tranquilizers and if they weren't working well enough when we arrived, why didn't they say so upfront? 2) If they were struggling with him, why didn't they tell us before proceeding that he was too much for them to handle and that it would cost nearly double for them to groom him, particularly when my mother was sitting not more than a few feet from the doors they took him through?

To add the icing on the cake, they were still chatting about my mother's reaction when I went back to ask for information on the management of the place. I'm sure there was a sense of pride in treating us the way they had. We may even be one less customer that they don't mind not having to deal with anymore. Rest assured, I won't mind sharing this incident with as many people as I can as well. Lastly, in addition to recommending that the entire Banfield staff at that location go back to school for some common sense, they might try putting down the fork and doing more push-ups so they don't have to traumatize anyone else's pet the way they did ours. It's a good thing for them that they did it behind closed doors.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Just had an amazing experience on a heartbreaking day. We had to put our angel Lucky down and were fortunate to have the outstanding care of Dr. ** in Banfield’s Palm Beach Lakes location. Her compassion & skill for Lucky as well as those of us in despair, was truly amazing. Hope Banfield knows what an incredible gem they have in her!

Original review: June 13, 2018

We had a very disappointing and heartbreaking experience at this location. My mother took her sick dog to Banfield @ Fontainebleau in Miami. Our dog had a very acute medical record and slim chances of survival. Instead of support and consideration, the treatment we received from Dr. Enzo ** was quite cold and blunt when talking to us. My mom and I were involved in pickups and drop off with our dog while she was on liquids and when I picked up my mom's dog the first night the dr. was very short with me while explaining our dog's critical medical record.

He shrugged me off immediately when I made a question, without even listening to what I had to say and once he figured out what I was asking him he retracted himself. Our dog need IV liquids to get better and 2 days in a row the dog was not fed by their admission. When questioned, Dr. said "we didn't feed her because if she dies, I don't want it to be my responsibility" and later proceeded to give me discharge papers to get treated elsewhere as he didn't want to deal with. The dog was keep in a cold room despite her temperature being very low and the state she was in. No effort was made to keep her warm and at least give her quality of life during her last days.

It seems like he had no empathy of what we were going through and operated mechanically with no consideration of what the stress this could lead you to. When we took our dog home, a nurse walked over to us and in a low voice told told us "you are better off taking her elsewhere than keeping her here". Shameful that one of their own could feel this way about their own place of work. Being in a medical field, whether it is treating people or animals should require you to not forget the human factor. We took our baby to another hospital this morning and the empathy and consideration we received was night and day. Sadly, our dog will not survive but we assured that whoever is watching her is not a cold heart individual like Dr. **.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My fur-baby loves Dr. Sam ** & his team! My fur baby is Frutista Taco Bell-a who has been cared for by Dr. ** for the past 10 years. Based on the length of my relationship (and that of Frutista) with Dr. **, I am in a position to provide an accurate, uninflated review of Dr. ** and this Banfield location (#1954). Frutista is a rescue cat that I took to Banfield for an exam prior to finding her a permanent home. As it turned out, my fur-baby and I are inseparable. My experience with Dr. ** & team was excellent so I elected to stick with Dr. ** ever since.

Frutista experienced a bout with cancer early on and Dr. ** performed surgery. Today, Frutista shows no sign of a recurrence and remains exceptionally healthy. She receives excellent care from Dr. ** and the team. I have never had a bad experience at this location; the staff knows my cat, her story and her behavior. The staff and Dr. ** love my little fur-baby and treat her very well during her visits. Frutista is very well-behaved during the visits and this is directly attributable to the manner in which she is treated. The team always makes arrangements for Frutista to be seen even upon last minute requests. If a new staff member suggests an appointment on another day, I simply ask the member to speak with Dr. ** and without exception, Dr. ** accedes to my request.

Never once I have I sensed that this location/team has ordered or charged for unnecessary procedures/products. In fact, when my fur-baby required surgery for cancer, Dr. ** found a way to combine the surgery with her dental cleaning; the cost to me was $150.00! The care and value of the care received has been exceptional - always. Several Banfield facilities are much closer to my home but I am so confident in Dr. ** that I continue to visit this facility. I cannot speak to the experiences of others who have posted on this site and I do not question the accuracy of their statements, however, I can without reservation, recommend Dr. **, his team and this facility based on a long 10-year relationship with Dr. **.

If you are considering visiting Dr. ** but have doubts, Dr. ** has my permission to provide you with my contact info. This will give you the opportunity to speak with me and determine the level of my veracity. Dr. ** has been at this location for 12 years and has treated at least 10,000 precious pets during this time. In assessing the weight of the posted comments, consider the number of negative reviews against the number of patients served. Thanks for letting me share.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 6, 2018

The company has the worst customer service organization I have ever dealt with. I attempted to modify my wellness plan. They have an hour plus wait time to discuss with a live person. They are rude and obnoxious and not helpful. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and logging a complaint. Once you have signed up, they make impossible to modify or cancel.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Unable to cancel the plan after my dog died... I canceled my credit card it was under just to stop it. I'm probably going to have to hire an attorney, but it's worth it to not pay them. I would have no problem paying for the plan if I could cancel it... My dog is dead. These people are a bunch of losers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have faithfully paying Banfield since 2007 for services to my dog. On May 29, 2018, my dog died. I have been going back and forth to Banfield since January 2018, because my dog has peeing blood, hard to do a bowel movement without straining. They have run many test and could never tell me why. In the beginning of May 2018 I took my dog back to Banfield because he was not eating and straining to pee. They charge me $239.00 for a X-ray and said that it look like he had cancer and they needed another $150 to do a cancer test. No, I told them, "I have been bringing my dog to you with a problem since January 2018 and you still have not told me what is wrong". Then as I was getting ready to leave another doctor came out and said, “Please get the test done, because if you did not bring your dog today he would have died on you in 3 days, and we will only charge you $50 and will have the report in 3 days.”

Banfield called me the next day and said that he did not have cancer, but keep giving him the inflammation and infection medication and bring him back in 3 weeks. After giving my dog the meds I noticed he was always having an reaction, so I would give him ** later. Then my dog started licking himself like something was bothering him real bad below and he started dripping pee bad, still straining with a bowel movement with blood. I continue to give him the infection med and inflammation med and then he started drinking a lot of water, vomiting white foam, then he completely not eating, but he was still drinking. Then he started to vomit brown stuff, along with not wanting to walk. I continue to give him the infection med and then I stop drinking and laying around all the time but would bark and respond. I decided to call the vet and have them check him out. But before I could get him in, he died at home.

I called Banfield and told them if I could bring him in to have him cremated, they said yes for a fee. I took my dog body to them and I ask them, “Are you concern what went on with him before he died.” I was told, “No, but if you wanted to know why he died you would have to pay a fee and to call the company and have your wellness plan cancel.” On May 30, 2018, I called to cancel my plan and was told, “You owe us $500 for previous treatment.” I said, “What previous treatment, I thought that was completed on that day and you charges me almost $500 for X-ray, medicine and still could not tell me what was wrong with my dog. I was told to call you and cancel my plan, they did not say I had to continue paying for a dog that had died.”

What kind of business is the company running with doctors and employees that don't have a clue to what is wrong with our pets, but can constantly keep overcharging us. I thought a wellness plan keeps the pets from getting sick, not making them worse and cannot tell them what the problems are. I will never take another pet to this hospital again in my life. If I would have known the problem long time ago I could have planned.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I had a cat that was extremely malnourished show up in my garage and I did my best to feed her and make her as comfortable as I could but, after bloodwork found out that her kidneys were in such bad shape that there was no way that she would make it. My friend and I were very low on money and after the bloodwork and the cost to put her to sleep, it was way more than either one of us had. After seeing how this kitty hit us, they were able to waive the fee of putting her to sleep for the amount of money that my friend and I had left in our pockets. They are incredible people and deserve all the love in the world for what they do for our beloved pets. I was able to give her a beautiful final resting place in my backyard.

Original review: May 15, 2018

On 5/1/18 I took Moto to Banfield Pet Hospital, I have been using this vet since I got Moto in 2009/2010. Typically I never ever do drop offs because I do not trust anyone, however this time I did drop off at 720 am due to having to work. Moto went to the vet for a simple upper respiratory infection. I called the vet several times that day for updates and finally was told we can pick up at around 5. When we got Moto back home we realized that it seemed that she had some lameness in her backend, we thought it was her legs. I called the vet the next morning after getting the runaround the vet told me that it’s just probably stiffness from laying in her legs to call back in 24 hours if it continued and that they couldn’t have done anything to her. On 5/3 we took her back to Banfield and they didn’t even want to touch her.

They said we have two options take her to New Mexico or start a steroid trial. We let them know we could not afford option A so we would like to do option B. They would not allow us to do anything, they did not help her at all. They basically brushed us off. We spent 5/4 going to other vets and the vet Moto is seeing now informed us since she is healthy the only realistic answer is that Moto has trauma in her spine. Moto is healthy, her blood panel is great her urinalysis is great. My cat is healthy, well taken care of. I put trust into Banfield Pet Hospital and due to their negligence my cat is facing the end of her life. I reached out to corporate and they didn’t seem to care besides tell me someone will contact me in 5-7 business days.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The hospital visit was fine but they rip you off when it comes to cancelling and fees and saying you get a "free" exam. Do not go to Banfield and NEVER sign up for a wellness plan, I was ripped off and spent more money than I should have at a normal vet.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Don't bring your pets here! Beware! They only care about taking your money accruing BS CHARGES for things they didn't really do! My pup died last Tuesday! He was 8 months. I had to pay $125 to cremate my best friend. Now calling this company to cancel this program which I've been consistently paying $36.18 for 7 months. They said I accrued over $600 in charges past the plan. The only thing they ever did was his 4/5 shots which probably cost 10-20 a piece. Which THE WELLNESS PLAN is supposed to keep your puppy alive! They slacked on giving him a 6 month booster and doing any follow up. Yet I was told they did a fecal test and other tests within the first visit! Not true! They never disclosed any tests.

I was told with the wellness plan they do those test but nothing was ever performed. They micro chipped him (which I paid out of pocket) then sent us on the way! I paid a lot out of pocket. They are liars and thieves! Don't make my mistake! After he passed I was told they would call and follow up! Never heard a word from them. I had to call them! When I did talk to someone they said there was an invoice of all these tests which were never performed! Stay away! Share My Story So No One Else Can Be A Victim. Oh btw they act like it's pet insurance when you sign up but then switch it up and say, "Oh no. Wellness plan!" They are Cons, Liars, Thieves, Crooks!!!

Original review: April 29, 2018

I purchased the Wellness program 3months ago... and it covers absolutely months. Went on with my Siberian Husky puppy who has diarrhea plus got a hold of my nail glue. So of course I’m nervous and so is my puppy. Nurse was so rough with thermometer. My puppy cried then the vet came in put a muzzle on her and told me pretty much in order for them to check her it would be 698.00 or I can purchase meds which came out to 40$. And I pay 63$ a month for plan. I waited 3 1/2 hours so she can tell me to go get the glue removed by a groomer or I can TRY RUBBING ALCOHOL. Mind you my puppy has a open cut. They are only interested in money. Then the vet told me if my puppy bites her she had to call animal control. I’m not a vet and I explained that my puppy was very nervous and in pain. The “VET” said, "I barely touched her."

Original review: April 25, 2018

I don’t advise anyone to get this wellness program. I wasn’t happy. I never got service. When I would make an appt I would get cancelled. I asked for a refund and they took a lot of money off my credit card. All I got refunded was 154.75. What a rip off. I got better insurance and I’m happier.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I been with Banfield at address: 420 E Expy 83, McAllen, TX 78503. Since 2007 every year the service been going downhill. They fired all the good doctors and employees. I been having trouble getting thru on their phone. On 04/18/2018 I called at 9 am in which they open and try for ten minutes to get thru and I would only get their message then it said you can leave a message but it DID not let you leave a message. It went thru their message again.

I finally went there just to find out all new people. I was told that they had problems with their phone when what I really find out someone forgot to turn the phones on and the person at the desk was on her first month there she also told me they was short-handed and the company is not letting them to fill their vacancy. I am now looking for more option for my dogs. The company does not make me feel they care about my dogs. Money comes first with them. I try to give them no stars but they will not let you.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This service is a rip off! If you compare the cost to the annual wellness plan, it’s not worth it. We had a dog that went to the veterinarian twice before we gave her away. They claimed that the services rendered, was $700, more than the plan, so I had to pay $500 to cancel the plan! The dog had a stool test done and was prescribed antibiotics that I had to pay for out of pocket. This “wellness plan” is a scam! They get you on board and if anything happens to the animal, you still have to pay. They inflate the cost of services performed, so that you are stuck paying $500!

Original review: April 16, 2018

We've had the insurance for several years but finally got around to 'trying' to change to a new company. Banfield wouldn't let me cancel my policy! I even consulted with an attorney and there's no way out until the end of the calendar year. Even if my pet were to die, I would have to continue paying. My pet is very healthy. No issues, ever. He goes in once a year for an exam and rather than taking him and seeing the vet, spending an hour or so, you must drop them off at 7 am and leave them for 10-12 hrs. It's a terrible system. You never have the same vet twice. I cannot persuade anyone enough to NOT USE this company! They are there to strictly make money, not for the care of pets.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Big time scammers!!! I’m thinking this is the best option for my puppy think again. I started this wellness plan for my puppy to get her started with her shots. This first year things were ok, I wanted made aware that this wellness plan will automatically renew itself after the year. So I figured out after it renewed of course. Over this second year this service has been horrible. Every month I call I’m to see if there’s any available appointments and there’s none that fit my schedule. I’ve called several locations here in Pheonix Az, nothing!!

Last month I finally had a appointment made only to make it to the appointment and it was canceled due to them being understaffed and underpaid basically. So I’m continually paying them monthly and when I take my pup to the boarders to be up to date on her shots. So I’m just stuck paying for a service I can use. Then I spent 30 mins talking to a corporate rep about this issue because my pup needs her wellness vaccinations to be up to date so she can go to the border facility next week, I was floored when the rep the to BORDER was the BORDER of MEXICO, I was wondering why she continually asked why she needed shots to go to the border... outdone then to make the comment “oh, Sir you’re confused.” This has been a terrible experience... never again Banfield.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Banfield is a huge scam. You agree to a wellness plan yet every time I take in my Pomeranian Ruby for any concern I ALWAYS pay out of pocket, and never less than $100. I’ve tried different locations hoping for a better experience when I came across Banfield in Danville, Ca. I thought finally a legit vet. Yeah right! Same thing always so much money out of pocket. So finally my year is over and I cancel the very second I get the chance. Apparently I was being charged monthly for a spay Ruby NEVER got! Asked for a refund and they said they’d credit back $100! $100!!! They steal your money. Don’t take your family (pets) to Banfield.

Original review: April 12, 2018

If you have a Wellness Plan with Banfield and think that when your pet dies they will let you cancel right away - don't! My cat was put to sleep yesterday and when I called today to cancel it they informed me that I owe $153.65! They pay Customer Service Reps to tell you something about Retail Costs - Plan Costs and the difference that you owe. If my cat were still alive right now I wouldn't owe anything. Banfield is right around the corner from my house and I used to love it, now I realize they only want money - thanks Banfield!

Original review: April 6, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would! We had issues with our cards that we were using for the plan being compromised. When we would get a new card, we would call and update. Two days later I'd get calls saying we never paid. Multiple times the card info was taken, no payment made, as well as also having a payment taken and not applied to the account. The last payment of our plan was just made and of course we get a call saying we owe them still. The money has been taken from our account.

Call, ask to speak to a supervisor. First time ever, the representative says I need your info and one will call you back. Never got a call, think that was BS. We call back, get a supervisor on the line, imagine that, she tells us my family has been very difficult to deal with, we asked how she would like us to send proof of payment being received. She tells us she is just canceling the account so they don't have to deal with us. Get a call two days later, account is still active, money still not applied, and the supervisor we spoke with this time said they need to look into the matter because they don't just close accounts. It's not our fault. We've given you the info you need every single time and no one can get it right. I just want to be done with these people, but they're making it impossible.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I brought my nine month old kitten, Tuna, (adopted from a PetSmart Charity I volunteer for) to a Banfield Pet Hospital to get an initial checkup. I wanted to ensure he had all of his shots up to date and to begin a Wellness plan for him. The doctor examined Tuna and suspected that his red gum inflammation was due to stomatitis. She recommended to have x-rays done to gauge the extent of the damage/disease. This location did not have the necessary equipment to perform that test, so I was referred to the closest location that did—over 45 minutes away. At my first visit with this second location, the vet gave me similar information about stomatitis—all of which I had researched on my own prior to the appointment. He told me that they would need to remove all of Tuna’s teeth to cure the stomatitis—as the disease is congenital and would not improve.

He recommended a biopsy of the gum tissue, to ensure that his theory was accurate. When he told me how much it would cost, I asked if we could do a treatment plan in stages. We decided that on this visit we would run blood work, test for leukemia, and FIV—all of which are actually covered in the plan, and fortunately all blood work was normal and he did not test positive for either! However, the steroid and antibiotic injections he recommended were $85 (with member discount).

I scheduled a follow-up visit for a week later. At that point, the doctor would perform a second exam to see if there had been any improvement and to retrieve the tissue for the biopsy. This procedure required anesthesia and nothing was included in the Wellness Plan benefits (I did receive a “discount” on the services). When I returned to pick up Tuna, I was asked to speak with the vet in an exam room to talk about what had been done. Tuna looked like he had been involved in a war. They had shaved the insides of his back legs completely, claiming that they had trouble drawing blood and attaching an IV. The vet also said not to be alarmed when I saw that his legs were bruised, as there had been minor issues with injection sites.

Tuna was hostile, growling/hissing, and clearly traumatized. We removed him from the carrier, because it was clear to me that he had used the bathroom inside of it. The carrier was cleaned and disinfected, but getting him back inside was a huge issue. I was asked if I could help, as Tuna was more likely to respond positively to me. Unfortunately, he bit me very hard on the hand... He was so scared and stressed that he seemed like a different cat. The vet and vet tech grabbed a big orange fleece blanket to restrain and force him into the carrier. It broke my heart to hear the screams and growls he was making. I performed first aid on my own hand and then checked out. My bill for this visit was $365.53. The invoice stated that if I were not a member I would have been charged $611.25, seems like a great deal right? I cried when I got to my car.

I waited to be contacted about the results of the biopsy, at which point we would make an appointment to have a dental cleaning, x-rays, and teeth extraction. When I received the call, it was from a third vet, who would be the one actually performing the procedure. He informed me that the results of the biopsy were as expected and that he recommended a full extraction. He then gave me a quote of $2,300. This was beyond devastating news. Not only is that an incredible financial burden, but it would mean that our nine month old kitten would be toothless for the rest of his life. Not to mention, this was actually the third time a price estimate had been given since my initial visit—each time it increased roughly $600. Banfield charges per tooth. That is not a joke. They literally charge for each tooth they extract.

I made the appointment, trusting the opinion of these doctors that there simply was no other option. It was their belief that getting this done sooner rather than later would be the best course of action. I was not fully convinced. I asked a coworker if she had a vet she liked taking her cats to, and she referred me to a local, private office. When I called this office, I asked how much a full extraction typically costs. The nurse said that it varies depending on how much anesthesia is needed, but the maximum it would ever cost would be $800. I was blown away and overcome with emotion. When I told her that I had been quoted $2,300 by Banfield she was flabbergasted. Needless to say, I made an appointment to visit this new vet office for a second opinion and cancelled my scheduled surgery with Banfield immediately.

I then called Banfield’s national customer service line to speak about my experience and to see what my options were about cancelling my plan. I already knew that Banfield has a ridiculous cancellation policy. If you wish to terminate your contract, you must either pay the remaining monthly payments upfront, or pay for the full cost of services you have already received at a discount. They graciously allow you to select the cheaper option, which of course is to make the remaining payments on the plan. Therefore, it is silly to actually cancel the plan—you might as well utilize the services that are included.

The customer service representative I spoke to, was actually very helpful and courteous. She listened to my concerns, answered my questions, and said she would send an 8 month supply of flea medication for each of my cats. I got off the phone feeling very positive. When I looked up the brand she was sending, I was less enthused. TrueShield, a PetSmart/Banfield exclusive product does not have good reviews on the Internet. If other customers who have filed complaints and left reviews are to be believed, the side effects can be horrendous and potentially life threatening. I have not decided what to do with the poison yet; I will not use it on my cats and I feel bad donating it to a shelter without doing more extensive research.

This story does have a happy ending though! The new vet was wonderful. I had all of the records faxed to his office and in his initial examination of Tuna he said that he did not believe that he would need to have all of his teeth removed. The inflammation in the gums was isolated to the outside of the back teeth only and in his opinion, removing all of them would be premature. He prescribed an antibiotic to see if that would reduce the inflammation and to call back in a week to report progress/schedule a second appointment.

Skipping ahead a little, yesterday was our appointment with the new vet for teeth cleaning, x-rays, and potential extractions (approximately two months after my first Banfield visit). The doctor called me in the middle of the exam, while Tuna was under anesthesia, to discuss the situation. He believed that the best course of action was to just do a deep clean to remove the plaque and flush the gums, provide a steroid, and a second round of antibiotics. His exact words, “We do not need to yank teeth, just for the sake of yanking teeth. Especially since his teeth look healthy on the x-rays and aren’t even fully developed.”

When I picked up Tuna, he was clearly a little anxious, but he did not seem like he had been through a traumatic experience. He had no teeth removed and he may never need to have any taken out. Best of all, the bill was only $300. Not that this is an insignificant amount of money by any means, but it was less than $2,000 than the quote from Banfield AND I still have a kitten with a full set of teeth. I have two cats currently on Active Prevention Wellness Plans. In theory, the services offered should save money and provide excellent care. Unfortunately, Banfield offers these plans to lock pet owners into a yearly contract to ensure returning customers.

The services that are provided are preventive only (not surprising, that’s the name of the plan...). However, the free vaccines, unlimited office visits, and routine lab testing only scratch the surface of what they will charge you for services they will recommend. For some pet owners, the Wellness plan may seem like a great idea. In fact, I will keep my plan (as if that were even a choice) and utilize the included aspects, but I will not renew. I do not believe that my experience is atypical. It is very clear that Banfield makes a large percentage of their profits from tooth extractions. Their second and third tier plans include a yearly dental cleaning with x-rays. Which means, they have the ability to call you when your pet is already under anesthesia to ask if they can pull out teeth due to an infection.

This is not to say that in some instances, cats (and other animals) do need to have teeth removed, but I hope that anyone who reads this review will be as fortunate as I was to avoid this trap. Always, always, always get a second opinion. I support a PetSmart Charity and volunteer weekly at an in store adoption center. I buy a lot of my pet food and other supplies there as well. Overall, I believe that this is a company that does a lot of good things; however, their system of Banfield Hospitals seems ethically questionable at best and potentially illegal at worst.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My Tank died on March 20th from Lymphoma and back in December she required special care that Banfield could not offer so we could not use their services. I tried cancelling the plans that I had today that we had for 7 years and apparently even after your pet is deceased these people will take your money. This was a waste and save your money and pay cash for your pets care.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My dog hurt herself at 7:30 am on a Friday. I called every Banfield in the San Antonio Texas area. I got denied a visit for each one was overbooked. The most popular reason was that they only had one vet on duty and they were scheduled for surgeries all day. We pay them monthly but yet they want to send us to emergency vet during operation hours? Never had I ever been denied same day visit with other offices for emergencies during operational hours. They want your money but they don't provide the service you are paying for. My wellness plan is up in August and Banfield has lost my business forever after this.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am so frustrated with Banfield. Specifically in Las Vegas. My mother took our family dog in for a checkup/tape worm checkup to be exact. Just to see if she had any then 10 mins later, they deliver the news that our Pomeranian is pronounced dead! What the ** Banfield. Seriously? Our baby was barely 2 years old and now she's dead? This is ridiculous. Our dog needs justice. This company needs to teach their "vets" more than sticking a needle in a animals body and hope it'll get better. This company needs to be shut down.

Original review: March 28, 2018

To begin with, one of Banfield Pet Hospital located in West Los Angeles 11250 W. Olympic Blvd was closed due to poor service and many complaints about you and your pet was received in getting in. Receptionist with attitude problem and vets don't want to speak to the pet owner to give a more precise report on pet's condition. The only good Veterinarian there was Doctor ** and she quit working for Banfield Pet Hospital. After they closed down Olympic facility, my dog's file was send to Culver City location. When Jake need to see a Vet due to rectal bleeding due to constipation, I have a horrible experience with the receptionist at that facility. The male at front desk was rude, hold my dog who was experiencing horrible pain like he was a bag of potato.

When I ask him to be more gentle with my dog he say, "You are not happy how we handle things here you are welcome to take your bleeding dog back home." I left Banfield Pet Hospital and went straight to another Veterinarian seeking help for my poor dog. I called Banfield and send a letter canceling the service and they still deducted 2 months payment from my bank account. I need to go to my bank and speak to the manager, tell all about why I MUST place stop payment with Banfield Pet Hospital. Thank God I was able to stop Banfield from getting my money, but they keep calling saying that they are taking me to collection and ruin my credit. PLEASE, if you love your pets, stay away from Banfield Pet Hospital. They don't care about animals, all they care about is the Might DOLLAR.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I had this pet insurance for over 30 years with a number of pets. They always got their automatic withdrawal until December 2017. Something got mixed up and I have 3 pets on the plan. Money was short then. Each plan hit with the same bank account number. All were unable to process. They did this 4 times with each hit costing me 29.00. I had close the account for it to stop. Banfield never called me to tell me that there was a problem for 3 months. I would have liked to have got a call after 1 or 2 hits that were returned. Instead I got a bank fees for over 250.00. BEWARE. The bank said since I set up the automatic withdrawal I am liable for the fees. When I contacted customer service the agent were rude and telling me that I was lying. I asked her for a supervisor to call me back. I am still waiting for the call. It has been a week. It the statement of my account from the bank. Stay away from the automatic payment withdrawal set up by Banfield.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I am receiving threatening letters from Banfield because I cancelled my plan. My year was up on both of my dogs when I cancelled. Now they say if I don't pay the monthly fee I have to pay for all services my dogs received. They automatically take money out of my account. I never received a renewal notice and you can not stop them. Finally my card expired and they can no longer take money out of my account, now I receive threatening letter. By the way my one plan was for 4 years then I added a dog for 1 year. The cost increased every year and you never get notifications. It has doubled from the price I was first quoted.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I took my cat to the Banfield Hospital in Cape Coral, Fl. She went in to be spayed and a few vaccines since she was a kitten. After her surgery she came home drowsy and unresponsive. She was a very playful cat so I assumed it was the anesthesia that was still in her system. A few days later she still had not bounced back. I called the vet and they told me to bring her in. They gave me a special food to feed her and after a few days she was getting worse. I went back a third time and the vet said, "We had tried everything. We just have to wait it out." I was blown away because at this point I didn’t think she was going to make it and they had no answers for me.

Later that day I decided I wanted to get a second opinion so I took my cat to my dogs veterinarian. Viscaya-Prado vet ran a few test and within 30 mins she was hooked up to an IV for fluids and given some medication. Within 24 hours she was back to her playful self. I would never go back to Banfield Hospital. If I left it to them, my cat would be dead. I tried to contact someone regarding the situation and I never got a response back. Now that I’ve seen other people’s reviews I should have read them prior to deciding on a vet for my pet. Seems like many people have had similar issues.

Original review: March 21, 2018

This hospital did not get proper authorization to add an animal to an account because their vet techs do not do their jobs properly to check for the right account cause all they care about is just get the money and charge money for services that were suppose to be added to another account. Charge for services that were not needed cause the plan included those services already and refuse to transfer retro refunds for services that the plan already included.

Do not use Banfield. They do nothing but steal your money and try to fraudulently not check all accounts for authorization. Make sure you have the proper account before you run your credit card. They steal your money. Beware of corporate when trying to settle your dispute. They are on the side of the hospital. They put a dog on my daughters account without her authorization instead of many account moms plan cause they just could not find mom’s account so the vet tech just assumed my daughters account was the right account. Huuummm wrong. Can you say fraud? Uh yeah.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information