3.39/5
Based on 1,063 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Banfield Pet Hospital

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Banfield -9718 Katy Fwy. Houston, Tx. Professionals who love their jobs are a joy to behold. So many people don’t understand that our pets are an actual member of our family. Watching them suffer feels equally as anguishing as helplessly watching your child navigate their way through a nightmare of pain. Today as we walked through the doors at PetSmart, we accompanied our beautiful but wounded golden retriever named Nala to the banfield counter at the back of the store as she left a trail of blood with each step she took.

The care, compassion and professionalism Nala immediately received at the counter from the tech and then from nurse and doc clearly demonstrated that they are a talented team of tender hearted and highly trained miracle workers. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily treated Nala like she was their own daughter. I would recommend this location to any pet owner who loves their furry four legged family members. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily are the best!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wanted to write a review about my experience with Banfield Brooklyn. We had an Australian Sheppard for 14 years, Bailey. He was part of the Family. We got him when my daughter was 4. Unfortunately Bailey became very ill over the years. We recently had to put him down. The care and service we received from the Banfield staff was unparalleled. Although it was a devastating experience for us to let go of our protector, the staff treated us with such care that the experience turned into a beautiful one that we will cherish in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Thank you Banfield Brooklyn! The ** Family.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have a special needs dog with anxiety and digestive problems. I needed to switch vets since my dog was misdiagnosed at his prior vet. The basic dental here is only $275 (not including the labs & x-rays). I printed the free first visit coupon online to see if they could help me. My dog has broken off two of his long bottom canine teeth due to his severe separation anxiety biting on his crate over the past year. He must be crated due to he's destructive and could get a foreign body if left to his own devices.

Claire and Dr. ** made me feel comfortable, took all the time I needed, actually listened to me, and didn't pressure me by trying to up-sell. I think they are honest and are truly trying to help us. I expressed my concerns for cost and was offered a wellness plan which I purchased. They offered to put him on different medication to treat his anxiety.

To those who have given bad reviews they must not have understood that the wellness plan isn't insurance. Pet insurance usually doesn't cover preventative care. The wellness plan comes in three tiers. It doesn't cover everything but it covers a lot, includes discounts, and is customizable which I like. Instead it is spreading out the payments for preventative care over 12 months. You can choose a plan that includes a dental and can even add the flea/heartworm meds. If you cancel it you will owe the services rendered (makes sense to me). If you charged a vet bill on your credit card, you would still owe the balance even if your pet dies - this is the same concept.

It comes with an app that has 24/7 access to a real vet who can tell you if it's an emergency or if it can wait. I used that app the next day after my appointment and it is wonderful! I like the fact that they are open 7 days a week and the wellness plan comes with unlimited visits since my dog can get into trouble due to his severe anxiety and digestive problems. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to take my dog to the emergency vet and regular vet this year so this will save me money in the long run between the app, being open 7 days a week and having unlimited visits.

Mind you, this Active Care Plus wellness plan doesn't cover things like diagnostics or treatment for serious illness like cancer or injuries - it is just a way to save money and spread it out over time for routine care. Their highest tier plan does cover some diagnostic scans so that is an option to upgrade to if your pet gets older and needs it every year. You have to use the services to get the benefit of the wellness plans. I happen to need the services so this works very well for my situation. This clinic and wellness plan seems to be an answer to my prayers for my high maintenance pooch. This is the one in the Petsmart near Memorial on I-10.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dr. ** is a wonderful Veterinary, working for Banfield Pet Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada. Primarily at the Nellis location. She is always going out of her way to take care of your fur baby. Today, July 26, 2019, my baby woke up screaming. I woke my wife up, and we called Banfield. They were able to give him an appointment, but not with Dr. ** because she was completely booked. After we dropped Munch off, to our surprise, Dr. ** gave us a call to let us know what seems to be the problem with Munch, and a plan to take care of him. We trust Dr. ** immensely with our 4 fur babies. Today, we live in a society that revolves around how much money we should make and not how to help others. Don't take me wrong, Banfield charges us for their services, which I don't mind, as long as we have a compassionate doctor taking care of my fur babies, like Dr. **.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We own dog training and boarding kennels, Angels in the Infield training and boarding and would trust no one else except Doctor ** and her staff! Never a long wait. Answers all phone calls and questions in the same day, if not within the hour. We recommend them to all our customers. We receive no money or discounts from any of our vendors, just so that we can judge them on their own merits. Banfield in Aurora OHIO is awesome!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The experience was upsetting and sad. The worst than anything that I have ever come across. I called the local Banfield due to my dog being sick. I was told I missed the last two payments on my well care plan. I paid it up to date and was told that my plan was the best. I called back the store to see my pet as she was ill. They got her right in. Once they had her they told me that she needed all these tests and the tests were going to cost $786.00. I explained that I had insurance / Wellness Plan. The Doctor stated, "Yeah I know but these test are not covered," that I had already used my testing and x-rays for the year.

Unfortunately my pet was very ill so I picked her back up and brought her to another local vet where they charged me $289.00 for the same tests and x-rays that banfield was going to do. How is that fair??? I will NEVER!!! take my pet there again and I suggest you all find other Vets to do business with. Also the Dr’s there change like the weather. Very sad experience.. Don’t waste your money go else where..

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

We have been taking our 4 dogs well 3 now) to Banfield since they were old enough to walk. We have never missed a medication, we feed them the exact food that the vets suggest and we do the "comprehensive", exams every 6 months. The worst part is that we took my little girl in for comprehensive exam and then, exactly one week later, she was dead. She did because there was a mass on her spleen that the vet found by doing the exact same blood work that was “supposedly” done one week earlier. How could possibly have been missed by the very vet that has treated her for at least 6 years? Either Banfield has totally gone to hell or the vets simply don’t take the time to review the test results that they order. Either way my dog is dead and she should not be. **. Be careful people!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have used Banfield Pet Hospital in Silverdale for the last 18 years. I used to love them but now I’m looking for a new vet. My animals have always been on a Wellness plan but if you call with an urgent need for an appointment they turn you away. No wonder the plan offers free office visits, they refuse to allow you to come in for an office visit. I called them two days ago because my dog was peeing blood. They said she needed to be seen but they were booked up. She told me they were scheduling appointments for 4 weeks out. She went on to tell me that they only had two Veterinarians and they need 5! Why is that my problem? I pay for my plan monthly and should get care when I need it. This company has lost its compassion for animals!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My pet was sick and was prescribe a series of medications from Dr. **, fast forward about a month later, my dog got sick and I couldn't get an urgent care appointment at this location (Valley Stream) so my pet ended up at another location where medication was also prescribed. I had a simple question in reference to the medication that was prescribed conflicting with existing meds. I called Dr. ** because I chose her to be my pet's primary doctor. I wanted to only see 1 doctor because I thought that would lead to better service, as well as she was the one who prescribed the original meds.

The bedside manner was nonexistent. She never took or returned my calls, when I showed up in person she would not come out to see me. She waited until 45 minutes after the hospital closed and pretended that she did not know I was even waiting to see her, even when the several people went back to tell her I was waiting just to answer a simple question. Would of took a couple of minutes but she did not care enough. She was so Aloof it was disgusting. She could care less whether my dog was sick and did not acknowledge the fact that I've been calling. She was rude, callous, and frankly quite disgusting! Don't know why she became a veterinarian. I was so upset, I was in tears. I couldn't even drive. I had to sit in my car for a while to cool off.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I took my 5 mo old pup for his first doctor visit and was told to pay for a rabies shot. They gave him a clean bill of health that day and administered the vaccine. They said there's no side effects but only a little soreness and he'll probably just sleep for a day or two. The first night he was fine, but the next four days he became more and more lethargic to the point he was falling asleep while standing. He stopped eating most food, didn't want to drink water, and walked as though his entire body was in pain. He wouldn't play, wouldn't bark and his entire personality changed.

The following weekend he continued getting worse. His eyes became red, one of them developed a discharge and eventually swelled up like a baseball. That Monday I took him to Banfield again to talk to the doctor. Only I COULDN'T talk to her, not unless I wanted to pay for the office visit. The nurse looked at his eye and said nothing had pierced it, denied the vaccine can do that and eventually said they couldn't help me anyway. This place was extremely impersonal, all about money and not caring for animals or people and I will NEVER go there again!

Luckily my dog survived, but only because I thought to try **. After 2 weeks of symptoms that continued to get worse, it only took 3 days of ** twice a day to get him back to his usual mischievous self. Thanks for nothing banfield! I would think twice before going to this vet and do your own research on the many side effects this vaccine may create...

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information