Banfield Pet Hospital

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Just be careful. A renal cat needs its blood pressure checked. This was not done despite my cat having her wellness check. So she went blind. Meds were given. She spent another 8 hours in the clinic for a re-check and I was told, "The med was not working so just go to a specialist." NOT checking the blood pressure was in my opinion neglectful. My lab has a neuropathy that it is my understanding is fairly common. The vet did not know what it was. So he got a chest xray he probably didn't need. The 2nd vet, literally, knew what the problem was in 10 seconds. Some Banfield vets are great and they are all nice, but I will never go back.

When I signed up for the "Wellness" Plan, I thought it was pet insurance and was not informed otherwise. The contract was very vague and confusing in many areas, but I trusted such a large well known organization. Maybe they were reputable in the past but now I would strongly advise everyone to stay away! After less than year, I moved to another town where the Banfield was just too far away. When I tried to cancel I was told that I could not since it had not been a year. I did not use any services from them during the last 6 months of the contract but paid the monthly amount. When the year was actually up, I called again to cancel. I was talked into "trying out the plan for a short time" to see if I liked the Banfield in my new town even though it was over a 20 mile round trip.

I tried them out and then had many of the bad experiences listed by other reviewers, and again tried to cancel. They ignored me and continued billing my credit card. After several more calls that were ignored I finally had to put a stop payment on my card to get rid of the unwanted charges. After this I began to be harassed constantly by them threatening me that I "owed money for services" which I had actually paid for. I asked several times for an itemized statement but never received one. I am now being threatened with collection for who knows what. If they were smart they would not treat people like this, because I am sure that upon reading these many bad reviews, they are losing more customers than they make by bullying and harassing people. What good company does this to people?

SO! BANFIELD OVERDOSED MY DOG!!!! My dog goes to Banfield Hospital on S. Kipling St in Littleton Co to be neutered on Jan 30th. They tell us how to care for him etc and gave us ** 75mg to give him starting today (the 31st). We look at bottle and it states "1/2 pill every 2 hours." I thought this is weird... So I look at the discharge papers and see nothing about dosage just warnings and what it's for. So we give it to our dog as it stated... Day of surgery he was great, eating, playing calmly and just being him... Then the pills began today! As the day progressed he had a hard time standing up, he was walking as if he was drunk, he was lying down and not really moving much, he was looking at the other two dogs all confused and didn't interact as he usually does, then looks at me and starts growling and won't come near me. He's staring at me as if he didn't know me and backing away.

So I google this drug and Banfield MISLABELED the dose! The pills were to be given every 12 hours NOT every 2!!! So I call Banfield and talk to lady and they put me on hold to get a doctor and this horrid "Tech" gets on and tells me she's "sorry you misread the label" and I said "no, you misprinted the label, I did as the label stated." She said "clearly you didn't because I'm staring at the label right here and it CLEARLY states every 12 hours." I said "that's funny bc I have the bottle in my hand it clearly states every 2 hours." She said "I'm looking at my computer right here. It's a 12." I said "OMG the bottle is in my hand, it's a 2, I can read it just fine." She said "well clearly you can't." I said "excuse me?!!!" She said "well you have 3 options, take him to an ER or call one of the two poison controls." I said "he obviously needs to be seen bc he's not himself." She said "then take him to Deer Creek."

I said "ok, and do I bring you the bill or how is that part handled?" She said "oh we're not paying for your error." I said "well yes you are paying bc it's your error not mine." She said "I reprinted the label and clearly see it's your mistake and we're not paying for your error." I said "you will pay for this bc it is YOUR mistake and I'll sue for it if I have to." So she chuckles. I said "ohhhhhkay honey... I'm going to tell you right now, we're not going to be friends, I suggest you put someone on that can make decisions bc I'm done with how you're speaking to me." She said "it won't matter who you speak to. We're not paying for your error, it's not our fault you can't read it properly."

I said "WHO do I speak with?" She said all cocky and smart assy. "You can speak to Will, I have this printed and tell you right now he won't help you nor will be paying". I said "oh yes you will dear, and I'm done speaking with you about my dog." She began talking again and I said "clearly you're not understanding English," and hung up!

Now my dog is at Deer Creek and he threw up right before we left! LOOK AT THIS LABEL!! Does anyone see a 12??? It CLEARLY states every 2 hours until gone! This employee is beyond rude and to instantly attack a patient family when clearly she can't see my bottle is NOT ok!!! Banfield WILL pay for this hospital stay and anything else that occurs bc of it! And that horrid "tech" NEEDS TO BE FIRED! This is NOT ok! We have been with them 10 years and 4 dogs!!!

Banfield sent me a text of an appt they set up for the dog's exam. I re-arranged my schedule, brought the dog in that day, and was told to leave her and the vet would see her later and I could pick the dog up in a few hours. What? That's an appt, where I get to ask the vet questions and get instructions, etc? I refused to leave the dog, and the girl insisted they had called me 3x (but there were no voicemails or calls on my phone) and pressured me to leave the dog. Or I could make an appt for another day that would be a real appointment where I got to be there while the dog was examined. Very deceptive, substandard care, and disrespectful of my time and schedule. Unacceptable. I've filed complaint with Banfield and am considering cancelling the dog's plan. This was at Lake Park, FL office.

I cancelled my membership for the Wellness plan and continued to get charged. They are now trying to get me via collection agency. I had one visit for our cat. I was very dissatisfied for the charge to evidently just bandage my cat's paw. I cancelled and never visited this place again. They never saw my cat again and they were paid for all services rendered. This plan was never used after the first experience due to the fact that they were some discrepancy on the service that was provided.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

I have had a pet plan for a few years and was happy at first as only normal care for my pets. However once you have anything wrong with your pet you begin to notice that this plan does not cover anything and what it does cover is so grossly overpriced/valued that you can get it for much less at another vet and save money paying for the service as you go. I tried to cancel my plan - which I did not realize auto renewed which is a scam - and was told I had already used several hundred dollars of services. HOW? I took my dogs in for one of the two comprehensive exams offered and had to drop them off at 7am - they were to be done by 2pm. I went in to pick them up and was told that they had not been seen. I live a fair distance from the vet so I did not want to drive home and back. I told them I needed to have my dogs done and would do some errands and come back.

Not 30 minutes later I was called to say they were ready. So in 30 minutes they had done everything the exam called for. I picked them up and took them home. One day later my dog was shaking his head and looked in his ears - dirty as heck. Not cleaned or looked at the day before as we had been given a clean bill of health. These plans are a SCAM. Do not sign up for them. As stated above they do not cover anything major. You only get a small percentage of a discount and calling around to other vets the procedures are triple the price as anywhere else. Also they recommend items that are not necessary only to get the $$. Money greedy corporation that is not at all concerned with your pets well being.

I'm sorry that I had to give them a 1, I wish you could give negative stars. I have had nothing but trouble since I took my animals to Banfield. My 2 dogs and 2 cats both went to Banfield and were on wellness plans, before I discovered that they were horrible, then once locked in for a year, I didn't have a choice but to deal with their inept service.

The experience with my first cat, I brought her into the office, because she was breathing heavily, she was diagnosed with asthma. The doctor, prescribed us a steroid to help and recommended ** and an apparatus to help give her the inhaler. Ok - fine. I ordered everything, and started her on the steroid and every time I would ween her off the steroid like directed, her breathing became heavy and labored, I would call, talk to the doctor, and she would up her steroids again. The last time I spoke with the doctor, she said I was just overreacting that her breathing wasn't getting more labored. My cat died that night from an asthma attack. I felt like the mistreatment of not wanting to see my cat in the office to see if her breathing was labored etc was malpractice on the doctors part.

My other cat was also in a wellness plan, and she is older and was not eating, and losing weight. They gave me food that would help stimulate her appetite and some medicine that would also help. She still would not eat, went almost a week without eating, and me calling the vet every day, to see what we could do, before the vet tech suggested force feeding her food, which I did for a week and eventually she started eating again. But still was not gaining weight. I took her back to the doctor, and they tested her for diabetes and checked her thyroid. I should state that I wasn't seen at my appointment time, because I came 10 minutes before my appointment and checked in, or so I thought.

At 4:50pm, I was asked which animal I was waiting for. No one checked me in, or noticed that the doctor didn't see their patient that was scheduled? Once I got into the exam room, we had the testing done, I left, before the results because I had a dinner date with my in-laws. The vet tech called me back and told me that my cats thyroid was off the charts and that they would start her on medications - **. OK - I could call tomorrow and get the script etc.

When I got home from dinner - I looked her my cats medical records online to see the spelling of the medication etc so I can could start looking where to get the pill - because I had learned if you buy from Banfield they at least triple the cost. The medication in my cats chart, sounded nothing like the vet tech said so I googled it and it was a deworming medication. When I called back the next day, and explained, no one apologized. Nothing. If I had not noticed they were prescribing her the incorrect medicine, what would have happened?

Also, in general they have a slow and lazy staff. Half of the time, the doctor doesn't even put her hands on the animals, how does one give an exam from across the room? Or they take the animal TO the doctor, so when they are 'examining" the animal the owner isn't in the room. That varies from doctor to doctor. My current vet, examines my animals, examines their teeth, their coat, everything. Heaven forbid, you want to buy medications from someone other than them, they make the process exhausting.

I prefer to order my medications from Dr. Fosters and Smith, as, even with shipping there is a great difference in the cost. I have to constantly call Banfield and remind them that Dr. Foster has sent 2-3 faxes and they need to verify the medication so that it can be ordered. It takes a couple times of me being nice, and then not so nice to get it done. It is ridiculous! It is unprofessional and I am so glad that everyone's wellness plan is up and I can move onto my new vet who is AWESOME!

I took my dog to the hospital for regular shots. Somehow the girl talk me into a so called wonderful plan that I could cancel if something happened to my pet. The next week before I even used anything on the plan my dog passed away. I told them but they told me that was too bad. They are now taking money from me and my dog is gone. So to add pain to everything else I am paying for service for a deceased pet. I could go on but it only gets worse concerning them. Save yourself some heartache and go somewhere else. Trust me. It's not worth it.

Banfield Hospital is just out to get as much money from you as possible. When he was a puppy the wellness visits was fine. I had my first bad experience with Banfield when my dog was not himself, they did a blood test and said such and such was elevated, blah, blah. The Veterinarian was telling me I should go to a place that specializes in cancer until his Anal glands burst right on her. Of course after the burst he was fine. A second time Banfield recommended I should have a little growth removed from his head to test for cancer - of course it came back no cancer. After that he was fine. He passed away 1/18/2017 due to Leptospirosis.

The Veterinarian at Banfield thought he had pancreatitis and did a test for that and said that he indeed have the disease and his levels were high and it was not chronic but treatable. He was already in the early stages of Renal disease and his blood work was stable. We had brought him to have IV fluids from the morning till we picked him up at night. For 3 days he was also put on antibiotics. We paid about $1100 out of pocket thinking we would save our dog. We called them back to tell Banfield he was not improving so we brought him back. The Veterinarian tells us he is in pain and doesn't look good. So she give him a shot for pain the one thing I was grateful for.

We were told to bring him to a hospital that does ultrasound. Banfield calls me to tell me that the hospital we are going to does not have a ultrasound technician that day and I should go elsewhere. Pretty funny since my husband was at the hospital and they did have an ultrasound technician there at the same time she called. All my pet needed was a blood test to confirm that he had Leptospirosis and be treated with antibiotic if it was caught early. His blood work showed he was in complete kidney failure and did not have to have an ultra sound.

In December Banfield said his blood work had not changed that much. I think that Banfield did not do the necessary testing they needed to do to confirm what he did have. We spent $1100 for the wrong treatment. At the other Veterinarians Hospital office they could not believe that Banfield did not test his blood work the way that it should have been tested and how much they charged us. I do not recommend Banfield, The staff up front was nice but you don't really know what is happening behind closed doors.

We showed up first thing in the morning with our cat in a carrier asking to be seen because our cat had developed 4 bleeding sores on her face overnight (we had been going to Banfield for 2 years at this point). And we were told that the veterinarians didn't even come in for another hour and that there was no way she could be seen today. So we called another pet hospital, one we never visited before, and they could get us in within 20 minutes. That was the final straw for us never going back. But we also were irritated when a vet assistant argued with me on the phone about dropping my cat off for a standard check up instead of making an appointment and being with her. When I told him we weren't interested in leaving her for hours at the vet, his reply was "Why do you feel that way?" and attempted to convince me. It was weird. Plus for their "plan" you can set it up at the vet's office but conveniently you can't cancel it at their office...

I have been going to Banfield for 7 years since I brought my dog home. Beginning in late 2015 they started having you just drop your pet off instead of being in the room with them, but I trusted them. They ALWAYS said she was in great health. In August 2015 I moved too far from my Banfield so had requested my Optimum Wellness be canceled on my dog and cats. They ignored the request. Now mind you, they started seeing my dog when he was 12 weeks old. I signed up with a local vet where I have moved. When they examined her, they found she still had embedded baby teeth and her gums were so inflamed that she had to have major surgery to pull the baby teeth out and 6 other adult teeth. Banfield NEVER mentioned this. It's cost me well over a thousand dollars. Stay far, far away from this place.

I purchased a wellness plan November 2014, for 1 year. In Oct 2015 I called the Main office to cancel. January 2017 going through my checking account saw another charge from them so after checking, November and December had charges also I called corporate to get my refund for the 3 months they had charged after cancelling. I was told they couldn't find a record of my cancelling so they would NOT refund my monies. I have NOT used nor did I use their services these months. I strongly suggest you find another vet to work with as I wish I had as after reading several other post here that Banfield makes their money stealing from customers.

Be aware. This is not "Banfield Pet Hospital". It is Banfield pet clinic. They are in no way a hospital which is very misleading. Make sure you know when looking at your plan if there is not a number next to the service you get only 1. If you come in too late for them they will send you to an emergency clinic. Sometimes they won't even answer the phone. My "wellness plan" just cost me $2400.00 at the emergency clinic. Not even a medication discount. I am not renewing any of my animals’ plans. I will take them to a qualified veterinarian and get pet insurance that actually works. At my clinic there is only 1 vet that is compassionate and qualified to help an animal in my opinion. Too bad she is there. I would never recommend them to anyone and have been there for 7 years. Quit once before and was suckered into going back. I gave them 1 star because there is nothing lower. I can pay for shots and a check-up for the same amount it costs for their plan.

This plan is really a complete joke. As a pets get older this provides absolutely no value. I had to put my beloved pet to sleep in early December - not only did the wellness service continue to charge me but when I called to cancel they said I had a balance. I paid about 8k out of pocket for end of life care for my pet none of which was covered in the wellness plan. When I called to talk to them after being on hold for 30 min - they wanted me to wait more time too to talk with customer service to see if I could get a discount on the remaining balance. Although the vets at Woodbridge were wonderful to my pet as he got progressively more ill they were unable to care for him and I sought specialized vet care in NYC. Please avoid the optimum wellness plan unless your pet is young and healthy - and their customer service stinks and is unreachable on the weekends.

This is the worst place you could take your animals. The veterinarians do not care about your pets, just about how much money they can get from you. We took our puppy there when we first got her because of the free office visit and we regretted it the first time. They tried to charge us for probiotics "to get her used to taking medicine" as well as several other unnecessary medications. Against our better judgment we once again took our puppy back today because she started breathing heavily and her gums were pale and we just needed something to hold her over until we could take her to Academy Animal Hospital in the morning, and Banfield was the only veterinary clinic open today (Sunday).

Upon arrival they took her straight back without informing me of anything or even asking if they could take her. The veterinarian came out and told us that she needed X-rays ($500) and that she needed mild sedation ($45) because she didn't want the oxygen mask on (what puppy wants an oxygen mask on their face). We therefore told her we just needed a bronchodilator to help her through the night until we could take her to Academy in the morning, to which she stated that they had no bronchodilators at all! We told her all of the medications that Academy had given our puppy and the veterinarian stated that she would not give our puppy anything without an X-ray.

When my husband asked her how her lungs sounded she said they sounded fine but she is breathing hard. When she came back out and talked to me she said it seemed like she had a collapsed lung, and that's only one of the many contradictions between what she told me and what she told my husband. She said all they could do is give her oxygen until 6 o'clock and then we would have to take her to the emergency clinic and she may die if her oxygen levels fall to low but they won't do anything without X-rays. Long story short they would rather have a puppy die before they treat her with medications we already know help all because we won't pay $500 for an X-ray.

It is almost impossible to cancel your membership. It automatically renews every year for a whole year. When you try to cancel so you don't forget they tell you it has to be within 30 days of your original joining date. I warn everyone that it's a trap. Additionally my daughter's dog almost died there and they couldn't draw blood from my cat stating he was vicious. Everyone that knows my cat he's the most gentle, loves everybody, super mellow cat. I don't know what they were doing. I am now stuck with another year and refused to take my cat to be tortured there.

My husband and I began using Banfield 9 years ago. We had three precious pups signed up for the Wellness Plans. Our first location was in Annapolis, MD, we received good service. The staff were caring and response to our pets needs. We really had no concerns and the cost was about the same as using another vet. Our second location was Brandon, Fl, this was a 45 minute drive for us. We made the trip because again we received good service and they were responsive to our pups' needs. Our current location is Summerville, SC - I must say it has been a disappointing experience. Getting appointments for urgent care has been a complete failure - we have been told on multiple occasions we need an appointment and there are no appointments available (for days and weeks). We have been forced to use ER services.

ER services for a bee sting, a chronic cervical spine condition (he needed eval and medication due to a flare up), etc. At one point I complained, requested a call from corporate. I am still waiting. On Christmas Eve, we had to euthanize our boxer. The ER services we used in Charleston, SC were FANTASTIC! As we were leaving, they informed us they would notify Banfield of his death. Our expectation was we would receive a condolence call. Our expectations are too high. We are still waiting on that call. Today, my husband called to cancel our boxer's Wellness Plan. Banfield refused to cancel the agreement stating it was a 12 month agreement. My husband was informed our boxer's contract was due February. For this one pup the total is only about 50.00 for Jan and Feb (they are prorating Feb). Now 50.00 is not going to break the bank. However, it clearly demonstrates the greed of Banfield Animal Hospital.

I must say over the course of 9 years, we have witnessed a decline in services. Customer Service is terrible, Care and Compassion at times is non-existent. I want to say there are many caring and compassionate staff; staff who are loving and wonderful to our dogs. Unfortunately, the corporation is motivated by greed. Resulting in a decline in customer service, care and compassion. I will no longer be using Banfield and am transferring my pups to another vet.

I have no beef with Banfield and their services. The problem I am having seems to be the same problem I see in many of the reviews regarding Banfield. The auto-renewal and automatic payment plan. We recently purchased a new home and moved away from the area where we were receiving the services from Banfield. We now live a long way away from any Banfield hospital. We haven't used any of their services in months and no longer will be using them for our pet care. Of course they take advantage of the auto-renewal and re-up us for another year. No call, no email, no contact to re authorize debits to our account.

So, like so many other customers of Banfield, we have come upon an uncaring customer service person who is "Sorry, but there is nothing we can do." and states that we are responsible for the balance of payments. Seems like a good plan for them as they continue to receive payments from untold numbers of customers and do not have to provide any services. As many complaints as they seem to have had with the recurring theme of no cancellation and forcing payment seems almost illegal to me. Just add my review to the many others and hopefully we can deter anyone considering using these crooks to look elsewhere.

My gorgeous sheltie has suffered unnecessarily due to the incompetence of these people. In short multiple visits through multiple vets (they don't have an in-house vet at the location by me) all with different responses. My dog was treated for something she never had, suffered in pain when she didn't have to, took x-rays of the wrong freaking body part and sent us home because it was time by the time they finally got around to her for them to close (she Sat in a kennel all day). I took her to the AMAZING PEOPLE at Arizona Humane Society thinking that these folks could probably figure it out. They did in under 30 mins! The "wellness plan" they sold us... doesn't cover anything they advertise! They markup their services so it conflates the coverage.

Just stay the hell away from these "hospitals" if you care about your animal. I am going to the AZ and Federal AG for the marketing scam regarding the wellness plan and licensing for the problems with their "vets" who there is no way these people are vets! I think they are assistants or students judging by their incompetence. My dog's condition is much worse because of their delay in her care and negligent "diagnosis"!!! They treated her for valley fever when she in fact has torn ligaments in her front leg!!!

I would not recommend this company or their vets to anyone. The vets at Banfield consistently misdiagnose problems and prescribe unnecessary treatments and meds. If you think your pet may have a real health concern, you would be better off going to a qualified independent veterinary clinic. If your only concern is general health/vaccines, state or county run facilities are cheaper. Please don't be foolish enough to sign up for their Wellness Plan because as others have mentioned, if you get a "Wellness Plan" it will automatically renew without notification and they will tell you that it can't be canceled. So you're stuck paying for a service that you no longer want or need for at least another year. Total Ripoff!

My cat was at the PetSmart groomer and was to be walked over to Banfield that is also in the PetSmart store. I had signed all the forms with the vet and they knew my cat would be dropped off. He was dropped off at the vet at 8:30 am and I called to check on him at noon. The vet said they didn't have my cat! I asked the receptionist to walk the 20 feet to the groomer and see if he was still there. The receptionist told me he couldn't leave his desk and offered NO help. I called the groomer and they confirmed that my cat was walked over in his carrier at 8:30. Back to the vet they searched the cages again. Someone had placed my cat in his carrier in a corner. He was left with no litter box or water!

The doctor got on the phone and said that they don't even check the dropped off pets until after noon. She was very dismissive and obviously wasn't concerned that I was upset that my pet was neglected for over 3 hours with no water or way to relieve himself. I will never take another pet there again. I wonder how long he would have gone unnoticed. I am so glad I called at noon.

I am sorrowfully shocked at some of these reviews I have read, and my experience is nothing compared to some of you pet parents. I had Banfield when I first found my Daisy Mae under a car (my cat). Took her to Banfield. This was 6 yrs ago. They examined her right there, and I thought, ok this is nice. Then I got Rocco and then Gabby - took them all to Banfield. Then with Rocco they kept him all day for a teeth cleaning, they never got to, I came and got him at 1400. Said, "You're not going to keep him all day and then give him a quick clean up job, and send him home all doped up." Then I dropped off the girls for their cleaning, Gabby had blood all over her neck, and Daisy was so traumatized that when I reached out to pet her, she bit into the palm of my hand, that I had to go to urgent care and lost a week of work, and 2 weeks ago they tried charging me another $150 for a new anesthesia that was suppose to be great for cats.

As I said my problems and issues were small compared to most of these heartbreaking stories. The reason I am here is to say this. I found I had got complacent with the convenience of Banfield being close by and I truly liked the Vet and the front office staff. But, I do not let anyone use my Love for my babies as a tool against me. So I contacted Banfield to cancel my plan, when they hem and hawed I threatened them with a class action lawsuit, which I brought to their attention the thousands of complaints I have seen and read. Furthermore, all of you need to contact your Attorneys Generals office in your State as well as one in Oregon since this is where Banfield is located. Dish played with me once, I did this and got a letter of apology and they (forgave) the balance due. And go to your coworkers and friends and research and find a real Vet's office.

Banfield at one time might have been good. But it is a conveyor belt for our fur babies, without proper care, and has anybody noticed that the glass going into the back room is covered and you cannot look where they take your babies??? I successfully broke my contract with them, and I will still be filing a complaint with the Attorney General's office because I don't like their techniques or policies. So all my fellow pet parents out there, push back and push back hard. I found a real vet's office where they have a waiting room for the cats and dogs separate, and I save $327 a year, as I was paying $75 a month for everyone for 3 dental cleanings it came to $543, and the Vet is in the room with me, there is no rushing.

My prayers for all of you that have been unnecessary traumatized, but our fur kids can't talk to us like our 2 legged kids can, so you have to interpret them, my Daisy Mae that bit in to me so hard, I think this is Gandhi come back in cat form, in other words she wouldn't harm a fly. She is the sweetest most gentle being along with Rocco I have ever seen, so whatever happened to her that day traumatized her so bad, she attacked me. And I will never forgive them for that or myself for going back. I hope this helps someone. Prayers to everyone.

I have been trying since August to Cancel our Banfield Pet Insurance when I discovered that there was not Banfield hospital near us. We moved to an area that was over 200 miles from the nearest Banfield Pet Hospital in April. We were not given an alternative and I could not see traveling that far to visit a vet when there were vets in our area just not Banfield.

When I called them to cancel, they would not do so as the policy was in my husband's name rather than mine although it was my credit card that they had on file, and my email address they were sending all correspondence regarding my dog's care and billings. Banfield had no problem authorizing me to bring the dog into them for care and no problem billing my credit card and no problem sending me emails, but they would not allow me to cancel the policy. We tried for months to get it cancelled as they continued to rack up the charges. Finally they agreed to do so in December only if I paid an arbitrary amount they said we now owed them. We paid, but are waiting for them to remove the credit mark that they say is for slow pay even though it was in dispute during that time.

The only reason I'm even rating this one is because I have to. We took my pug in on 12/17 to have her yearly check up blood work and all. I get a call everything is fine. On 12/19 we had to put her to sleep at another vet because she had an enlarged heart fluid around her lungs and a collapsed trachea. That is not something that happened in 2 days so how did they miss all this??? Nobody there paid enough attention to notice the cough she had or she couldn't breathe? I will never step foot in that place again and will be placing this same rating anywhere I can.

I too am highly dissatisfied with the quality of service I received through Banfield. My dog had been throwing up all food and water for three days and I tried to make an appointment with the Banfield where I have a Wellness plan. They told me "We are too busy to see him." I explained to them in depth that my dog had only kept down an ice cube or two a day and that he very much needed to see a vet. I asked if there was anything they could do (knowing full well that some of those appointments were for updating shots and general health check-ups) and they still said they couldn't see him for at least another two days.

Because they were unwilling to move around a few check-ups I ended up with an $1800 vet bill from the emergency animal clinic after they ran a bunch of tests and gave him IV fluids. I do not recommend this vet to anyone if they think they might ever have a real health concern for their dog. If your only goal is general health/vaccines I suppose they and the plans are great, but besides that they are terrible. Also, as others have mentioned, if you get a Wellness Plan you can only cancel it after a year. So I will have paid 8 months on a service I no longer use at all.

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR BANFIELD PET INSURANCE. We have had our 3 cats and 2 dogs on the Banfield insurance policy for a few years. Every time we use a "covered" service to receive routine care for them, we end up having to purchase additional medicines, vitamins, or other items to address the "problems" they found. We pretty much accepted this as part of their money-making plan but it was peace of mind to know our pets were getting regular care.

However, in the last month, we have taken each of our dogs in on separate occasions for their yearly dental cleaning (dropped off and left for the day as per their policy) and each one developed a nasty cough the day following their procedure. With the first dog, we originally thought it was kennel cough. So we took him in again and the doc was unsure whether it was kennel cough or if it was the result of the intubation. "Possibly the tube went in crooked and had scraped his esophagus," she said as if it was a common thing. So we went home with medicine to treat the possible kennel cough PLUS an antibiotic for the possible botched intubation. This had not happened after his prior dental cleanings, so we chalked it up to a one time thing.

Yesterday, we dropped off our second dog for the same procedure. Lo and behold, he is coughing up a storm today. I am betting the farm that we'll be told the same thing and sent home with two more medicines that we shouldn't have needed. If, in fact, Banfield is training their folks to do intubations differently in hopes of upselling more meds to their customers then there is a special place in hell for these people. Regardless of whether it is a not so carefully designed business plan or just incompetence, we are no longer going to offer up our pets as pawns in their game. I know that we will not be let out of our contracts early but we are certainly submitting our intent to cancel immediately. I hope our story will help someone avoid subjecting their furry family member to this.

I called Banfield and told them to stop using my credit card for auto bill and that it was done without my permission. No service had been used. I cancelled my credit card and they are still charging my new credit card. Apparently Master Card allows auto bill to forward to a new credit card without your permission. I cannot get this company to stop billing my credit card.

I contacted customer service with questions about a charge only to find out I signed up on a plan that auto renewed. I many times told the man who answered that I was promised this would end after one year and he never once acknowledged or simply empathized with me. Instead said there was nothing he can do. Finally after having enough of him I called again and got a very kind lady named Leanne. I have to say even when I was extremely unkind to her she showed me kindness and explained what this was about. It changed how I thought of this company. Maybe if there were more employees like her reviews might be more positive.

Took my dog Elvis in for a well visit on 12/31/2015. He was dead by 2/10/2016. I had originally taken Elvis in due to him not eating and loosing weight. At the time the doc stated he was 100% healthy just needed a dental cleaning and his nails cut. They sold me the wellness plan for covering his dental and we went home happy there wasn't anything else wrong. Long story short, Elvis had a huge tumor on his spleen that they missed and his abdomen was riddled with cancer. It was everywhere.

We got the, "Oops sorry, we missed this gigantic tumor and cancer" speech and we're advised to put him down on 2/1/2016, but it wasn't covered by the wellness plan because, well it was death and not about making the pet better (another sentiment reiterated today with their customer service department). Also, I would have to continue paying the wellness plan every month for this year because I had signed a contract. Yes, I signed a contract during that first visit after I was told he was just old and in great health, what BS.

I went to my original vet for a second opinion. He was shocked that ANY vet or tech had missed the symptoms. The tumor was huge. We decided to do surgery on 2/10/16 to remove the tumor, but when my vet opened him up, the cancer was in every organ. We put Elvis down then we did not wake him up. Elvis had lived weeks in extreme pain, slowly bleeding in to his abdomen because of the ineptitude of the vet at Banfield. His end was more traumatic and painful than it ever needed to be. Either they missed the cancer or they lied to sell a wellness plan. Either way they have now turned me over to collections and are shuffling my complaint around. No I will not pay the $275, until I am reimbursed the $1500 I paid to the other vet after a bad diagnosis. Or we could just agree to walk away from each other free and clear. I don't want to argue. I just want to heal from loosing a family member.

I have tried to cancel my wellness plan at least five times with no such luck. When I call to stop the wellness plan from renewing (option 1), it says my phone number is invalid (even though it's never changed). Therefore, I have to press 3 and after a 35 minute wait, the lady gives me the same number I just called and I was told to press the number 1 which again won't work. Halfway through explaining this to the lady, she proceeds to hang up on me. When I try to log in on the website to update my phone number online, it's block me saying I have attempted to log in too many times. I only tried to log in once! It has done this to me for weeks. When I try to call the website help number, they are closed on a Monday. This is absolutely ridiculous. There is nothing I can do because every help option doesn't work.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Profile