Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 8, 2021

At the New Hyde Park Location: I am dissatisfied with the overall service; Especially at the front desk. The receptionist, Barbara is unprofessional and has a horrible attitude. If you're working at the front desk, you MUST exhibit customer service. The “hospital” is only interested in selling you on a wellness package. To top it off, my dog got fleas after their visit. I am BEYOND furious because of this! I’ve never gone to a pet hospital where my dog has gotten fleas! That is the difference between taking a pet to an in-and-out hospital at a pet store.

Original review: June 7, 2021

If I can save anyone the pain and trauma that we experienced over the weekend I hope this will help. Our cat Gracie had been a patient at the Banfield Pet Hospital (Mills) in Orlando FL for almost two years. She started there at the end of 2019. Until Saturday - When she died a traumatic death an hour after her appointment at this Banfield. The clinic and Dr ** seemed great at first. The Vet that had cared for Gracie for 5 years (Dr. ** in Orlando FL) suspected she may have diabetes and suggested I find somewhere that specialized in treating Cats with feline diabetes. So, we took her to Banfield. The Vet even told us that her cat had diabetes as well. Gracie was put on insulin and began to get better. We signed up for the Wellness plan at the office's urging because having a diabetic cat can get pretty expensive. Don't sign up for their wellness plans - they did not cover any blood work etc that Gracie needed to monitor her diabetes.

Fast forward to about three months ago. Gracie had been having some stomach issues and we were worried. We dropped Gracie off at Banfield to have some diagnostic tests done. (This was during Covid so we could not stay with her) When we picked Gracie up and paid the almost $600.00 bill - They told us they had no idea what was wrong with her because all of the tests were normal. We took some anti-nausea medicine home with us. That evening I noticed Gracie was limping - this lasted for several days. When I called Banfield - I was told that Gracie had been a bit "difficult." I was concerned but she felt better in the upcoming days. I will say that in the last couple of months Gracie has been doing really well. She has been eating well, playing and no more stomach - or high blood sugar issues. She had even been able to have her insulin dose lowered.

I needed to get another prescription of insulin from Banfield. I was told that Gracie would need another Glucose curve done before I could continue with her prescriptions. When I made the appointment I was told that this would be a much shorter test because of Gracie's stress levels the last time she was seen. Last Saturday - June 5th, 2021, My daughter and myself dropped Gracie off and went to do an errand because they said she would be ready in an hour. When we got back to Banfield - We waited a few minutes and then they brought her out in her carrier and charged me the fee. They handed me some paperwork explaining that she had her annual vaccines as well. They told me Dr ** would call me in a couple of days with the Glucose results.

As we started home - I asked my daughter to check on Gracie because she was not doing her usual meowing that she always does in the car. My daughter kept her hand laid on Gracie on the drive home because she was "panting." I thought she might be stressed. When we arrived home - Gracie stumbled out of her carrier and fell on her side on the floor. She was crying and gasping for air. I had never seen her in such distress.

I called Banfield and they said to just take her to an ER Vet and gave us a phone number of one that was quite a distance from where we live. Really??? We found a Vet that was close and open on Saturdays. We rushed Gracie there. They were shocked at her condition. They called Banfield to demand answers. 5 Vets and techs worked hard for the next 30 minutes to try and save my cat's life. She was too far gone. They could not save her. So, a bit over an hour after leaving Banfield she was dead! I dropped off a very healthy and happy animal and brought home a cat in severe distress that was dying!

Dr ** then decides to call me after she learned that my cat Gracie was dead. She was crying and kept saying she did not know what had happened and that she really did "like" Gracie. What was that about?? I called the corporation today and am still waiting for a Manager to call me back. I pulled out the paperwork from Banfield today - I had not wanted to look at it because I am so very upset over this. Dr ** listed on the sheet with the "things that were wrong" - That Gracie was aggressive! That is what this Vet thought to put down as to what she thought was wrong with my Cat! This was extreme negligence. What did they do to my beautiful Cat? She is gone, they are responsible for her death. Please don't use Banfield. I do not want anyone to ever go through what we went through. I do not ever want anyone's beloved pet to suffer like my Gracie did.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

We'd been with Banfield for several years. They were one of the first to offer a pet wellness plan. We had previously lived on the northwest side of Oklahoma City and were pretty happy with the service. When we moved to Midwest City (SE side of OKC), we changed Banfield locations and have recently terminated our contract with them. Reasons: Incessant upcharges, incessant upservices, incessant new diseases demanding immediate treatment (and more money), increasing costs, while covered services decrease.

Our last visit (last week), we took the dogs in for a final exam and shot record. We also asked about their heartworm treatments, but were told the shots would be $108 per dog because we were ending the contract (we were still under contract at the time). We declined, but later received a call from Banfield that the dogs were authorized for the treatment, but we had to bring them in for testing, for which they will now charge us exorbitant lab fees since we're no longer under contract. Why didn't they do that test last week while we were still under contract? These experiences are typical of the current standard of care at Banfield in Midwest City, and probably at all of their locations in the U.S. (crass corporatism has come to pet care). So we have ended our association with them.

Original review: May 23, 2021

DO NOT EVER GO TO BANFIELD!! The contract does not end when your pet passes away. We will be paying over $500 this year for imaginary vet care for a dead dog. Please go ANYWHERE else. They know this aspect of the contract but do not tell you because they know no one would sign up. It is in the fine print.

Original review: May 16, 2021

I have had three dogs on the Banfield wellness plan for 13 years. Great plan for wellness visits only! They save ZERO appointments for sick or injured animals. If you have an urgent or emergent need, the response is always, take them to Blue Pearl Emergency Room. I could not get an appointment for my baby with CHF for more than a month so I had to seek out another vet who rearranged her schedule to fit him in not once but twice. He ultimately did end up at the emergency room as passed away. Blue Pearl notified Banfield who apparently told Chewy.com when they called to confirm a prescription.

I received flowers and a sympathy note from Chewy.com along with a follow up phone call. I received phone calls from the new vet clinic - which had not even been notified directly and had only seen my baby on two occasions. Not ONE call or email from Banfield. Called to cancel his plan and they said, "Yeah we have removed him but it just renewed so you have to keep paying for 11 months" ($44/months) - it just won't renew again. No compassion - no caring and we had been with them since he was born. Totally disappointed in this company.

Original review: April 22, 2021

We have paid a fortune for many years with the Banfield Wellness program, which automatically renewed every year. This week we had to put our 12 yr old dog down. I called to cancel what I thought was insurance and could be cancelled at any time like most insurances. Apparently, a wellness plan is different from insurance, so buyer beware. Just 2 months into our "new" year, the 12 previous year not taken into account, we were told we had to pay for the balance of the year, over $500, even though our dog was gone!!!! This policy is so wrong.

Original review: April 21, 2021

I moved out of California and sent an email to wellnessplanrelations@banfield.com with my client ID#, which is what I was told to do to cancel my Wellness Plan, this was in August of 2020. They never canceled it, and continued billing me to this day ($350 over 7 months). They did however remove my account from their system, so now I have no way of even using it if I wanted to. What a scam, refund me my money NOW.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I'm not one to write reviews ever but I feel like after what I went through that I dont want anyone else to experience it so please do not go to Banfield. The hell with their wellness plan, it's not worth your dogs life. Also I wish I had listened to some of the reviews I see on here because it looks like they are incompetent and negligent to the max. My poodle died 2 days after her spay surgery because she was bleeding internally and they didnt do anything even though she was there the entire next day. When I took her body to Sierra pet hospital after I woke up and found her dead and hard as a rock they told me had she been on iv fluids and looked into more carefully she would have lived. It broke my heart. I'm so broken now without my fur baby and it's all because I went to Banfield.

Original review: April 4, 2021

Hello, I have been bringing my dog (10.5 years old) to Banfield for his entire life. For most, if not all, of that time we have been enrolled in the Wellness Plan. Previous to that, I was bringing my cats to the same clinic. I have been a member of Banfield Arundel Mills (MD) for well over a decade. I really enjoyed the service that was provided by Trevor ** and his team for most of that time. Even with him gone, I stayed loyal to the team and the people who I was familiar with for years. Some are still there.

But in the past few years, I feel like the service has dipped. The wait times dropping off my Dexter and picking him up have gotten longer. The phone calls following up with me faded off. And the appointment reminder calls essentially disappeared. I now had to basically keep track of my own dog's appointment reminders. And I have not really talked directly to a Veterinarian in quite some time. At one point, if I had a drop-off appointment, a vet would come out as I picked him up. They would give me a very quick summary of their findings. If it was not a vet, it was at least a tech. Now the only employees I talk with are the receptionists. I don't mean to disparage their job, but I want to get a summary from someone with more experience.

All of these things have been occurring slowly over the last 2-3 years. But the experience I had Mar 25, 2021 has solidified my desire to stop coming to Banfield. Like I said before, I had to call in order to make an appointment. I made a drop-off appointment. While I made the appointment for 8am, I still ended up waiting in line for 25+ minutes in order to drop him off. The poor workers in the front seemed understaffed and/or undertrained and/or overwhelmed. Even after my dog was taken to the back, I stood by the desk for 10 minutes while she attempted to pull up my dog's history to ask me some basic questions. I did not hear a peep about how the appointment was going until I called them at 4pm. At that point, they told me Dexter was good to be picked up. Once again, I had to wait in line for probably 20 min just to have a receptionist bring him out and tell me that there was essentially nothing to report.

The two issues that I noticed that really upset me though: his collar was placed back on in a way that was essentially pinching the side of his neck. I attached the leash and noticed he was very uncomfortable on our walk to the car. It wasn't til I got home and he acted even more strange that I noticed that all his fur was so pinched in the buckle that the collar wasn't sitting free around his neck. It was stationed exactly where it was no matter how much pulling or moving we did. I would imagine that was painful! Second, as we were leaving, he had to pee as soon as we left the Petsmart. Without exaggeration, he had the longest pee of his life. And I made sure to let him out before I dropped him off. So it seemed pretty clear to me that he had never once been let out to go to the bathroom between 8a and 5p.

This was the final bit of knowledge I needed to cancel my wellness plan. By themselves it wasn't great. But now it's a downward pattern with no sign of improving. It is just time to move on. I respect the 11+ years that you were a trusted health partner. However, when I called to cancel, I was informed that I still owe the rest of my yearly Wellness Plan no matter what. Before I was to cancel, I was offered a month of free wellness since my time has been less than ideal. But once I was set on canceling I was told I would owe $600.

I understand the logic of your argument. It's a yearly plan that coincidentally auto-renewed mere weeks before my 3/25 visit. So by your rules, I have paid $0 into the yearly plan while extracting expensive services on 3/25. Although it was a simple wellness visit with no extra services beyond the basic service. But I have most likely put $10,000 (!!) of service into your company for over a decade: Wellness Plans for 10 years plus countless other visits. You are demanding that I owe $600 so I can cancel (or continue using your poor service for a year) because this recent visit "hasn't been paid for"? That is utterly ridiculous. Especially considering the poor care we received during that visit. That was hardly $600 service.

I certainly understand that ultimately Banfield is a business that needs to make money. But I had a hunch that maximizing profits are now significantly prioritized over good customer service and quality veterinary care. This cancelation process has really solidified that belief. It is a shame. I am now forced to use this poor service for another year. My opinion in your company certainly won't improve during that time.

Original review: March 31, 2021

They sucker you in with this pet plan that sounds good. So they bill you monthly for service. Then every time your pet visits, they come up with extra things needed that aren't covered. I have yet to leave for less than $200, plus my $66 monthly plan. If your billing gets messed up they charge you a $20 fee without contacting you first. Customer service is useless, absolutely useless. The clinic itself rarely answers the telephone and puts you on hold. My dog has to have blood work done for Cushing's disease. They charged over $300 for this. Another vet's office could have done it for $129. I do not recommend these people. They provide mediocre service at high prices.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information