2. Pets
  3. Pet Care

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.43/5
Based on 1,052 ratings submitted in the last year

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

14 Dec 2019 I visited the Banfield Pet hospital in Killeen TX with an sensitive matter at hand. There was one particular individual there who stood out to me. They cleaned my dog's property to return those items back to me. That evening I returned, this individual brought out all the wrong things but it was her compassion which stood out, trying to comfort me, even made an attempt to remember my other dog (priceless). I did not have the heart to tell her the errors. I felt her intention was sincere. The next day I returned to return their property and gather my correct belongings. Addressed and corrected accordingly. Even donated my dog's black frame cot which I felt would go for better use at the hospital. My overall experience 14-15 Dec 2019 was outstanding. Great team and customer service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Banfield -9718 Katy Fwy. Houston, Tx. Professionals who love their jobs are a joy to behold. So many people don’t understand that our pets are an actual member of our family. Watching them suffer feels equally as anguishing as helplessly watching your child navigate their way through a nightmare of pain. Today as we walked through the doors at PetSmart, we accompanied our beautiful but wounded golden retriever named Nala to the banfield counter at the back of the store as she left a trail of blood with each step she took.

The care, compassion and professionalism Nala immediately received at the counter from the tech and then from nurse and doc clearly demonstrated that they are a talented team of tender hearted and highly trained miracle workers. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily treated Nala like she was their own daughter. I would recommend this location to any pet owner who loves their furry four legged family members. Dr. ** and Nurse Emily are the best!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wanted to write a review about my experience with Banfield Brooklyn. We had an Australian Sheppard for 14 years, Bailey. He was part of the Family. We got him when my daughter was 4. Unfortunately Bailey became very ill over the years. We recently had to put him down. The care and service we received from the Banfield staff was unparalleled. Although it was a devastating experience for us to let go of our protector, the staff treated us with such care that the experience turned into a beautiful one that we will cherish in our hearts for the rest of our lives. Thank you Banfield Brooklyn! The ** Family.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have a special needs dog with anxiety and digestive problems. I needed to switch vets since my dog was misdiagnosed at his prior vet. The basic dental here is only $275 (not including the labs & x-rays). I printed the free first visit coupon online to see if they could help me. My dog has broken off two of his long bottom canine teeth due to his severe separation anxiety biting on his crate over the past year. He must be crated due to he's destructive and could get a foreign body if left to his own devices.

Claire and Dr. ** made me feel comfortable, took all the time I needed, actually listened to me, and didn't pressure me by trying to up-sell. I think they are honest and are truly trying to help us. I expressed my concerns for cost and was offered a wellness plan which I purchased. They offered to put him on different medication to treat his anxiety.

To those who have given bad reviews they must not have understood that the wellness plan isn't insurance. Pet insurance usually doesn't cover preventative care. The wellness plan comes in three tiers. It doesn't cover everything but it covers a lot, includes discounts, and is customizable which I like. Instead it is spreading out the payments for preventative care over 12 months. You can choose a plan that includes a dental and can even add the flea/heartworm meds. If you cancel it you will owe the services rendered (makes sense to me). If you charged a vet bill on your credit card, you would still owe the balance even if your pet dies - this is the same concept.

It comes with an app that has 24/7 access to a real vet who can tell you if it's an emergency or if it can wait. I used that app the next day after my appointment and it is wonderful! I like the fact that they are open 7 days a week and the wellness plan comes with unlimited visits since my dog can get into trouble due to his severe anxiety and digestive problems. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to take my dog to the emergency vet and regular vet this year so this will save me money in the long run between the app, being open 7 days a week and having unlimited visits.

Mind you, this Active Care Plus wellness plan doesn't cover things like diagnostics or treatment for serious illness like cancer or injuries - it is just a way to save money and spread it out over time for routine care. Their highest tier plan does cover some diagnostic scans so that is an option to upgrade to if your pet gets older and needs it every year. You have to use the services to get the benefit of the wellness plans. I happen to need the services so this works very well for my situation. This clinic and wellness plan seems to be an answer to my prayers for my high maintenance pooch. This is the one in the Petsmart near Memorial on I-10.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Dr. ** is a wonderful Veterinary, working for Banfield Pet Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada. Primarily at the Nellis location. She is always going out of her way to take care of your fur baby. Today, July 26, 2019, my baby woke up screaming. I woke my wife up, and we called Banfield. They were able to give him an appointment, but not with Dr. ** because she was completely booked. After we dropped Munch off, to our surprise, Dr. ** gave us a call to let us know what seems to be the problem with Munch, and a plan to take care of him. We trust Dr. ** immensely with our 4 fur babies. Today, we live in a society that revolves around how much money we should make and not how to help others. Don't take me wrong, Banfield charges us for their services, which I don't mind, as long as we have a compassionate doctor taking care of my fur babies, like Dr. **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I am very disappointed and very angry at my dog's consultation yesterday Raymond ** at Banfield Hospital located at 26277 US Hwy 19 N, Clearwater, FL 33761. He should have done dental cleaning and it didn't work because he ate a tiny portion of his food in the morning and they were unable to perform the dental procedure. Which is good, but the poor dog has anxiety and instead calling me, they called my husband who lives in NH and the dog was there barking and scratching the metal box for more than 7 hours and he got hurt about to bleed. I was clear when I asked to call, confirming the phone number and he couldn't be awake and alone.

They tried to get me out of the hospital, I complained and the receptionist gave me antibiotic ointment to apply to his paws. I don't understand why you keep a team or have people who are there just for the money. The dog was out of water, he didn't get any potty time and I really know why, when we got home, I accompanied him and he pooped and couldn't stop drinking water for the rest of the day, at night and this morning.

So my question is, if I have a plan at a pet hospital that is supposed to care for the animals and provide quality and attentive service to their fur customers, why do their doctors and staff allow this type of episode to happen with these innocent creatures. I am completely pissed off right now, I took my son to health care and came home, wasting hours of work and Raymond had this horrible treatment.

I have to move to another location, I will do a review on the site to prevent people about this type of care and bad experience and if my son, who cannot express it for himself. If an infection or can't walk like it is now, he is having trouble getting up and walking, due to the negligence of his unprofessional team, I will sue this entire organization and this location in Clearwater in particular Dr. ** and her team should not pretend to love pets when they are there just for the money. Arguing, worried and deeply disappointed with this Banfield's way of providing health and care services.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

PetSmart and Banfield Pet Hospital are HORRIBLE! They are extremely overpriced and totally deceptive! They told me that my "free exam" would come to $246 with all the vaccines and deworming provided for our new pup. That is a lot, but I told them that was fine at the time. They then talked me into their "wellness plan" that would be monthly charges but provide vet services for a year. I agreed but, after looking into their reviews and extremely high prices, I decided to cancel. I was within the 4 day no penalty cancellation period. I understood that I would have to pay for the first visit services, which was fine. When I finally got through to someone to cancel, I was told that the price for services rendered was $360!! Over $100 more than was quoted to me at the time of service.

The customer service people I dealt with were terrible and rude when they found out I was cancelling and basically said it was not their problem that I was being completely overcharged. I will NEVER do business with them again and I am glad I found out how terrible they are now before giving them any more money. I will never go to Banfield or even PetSmart again and I have been a customer for over a decade.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My dog was not acting like her normal self one morning and I was worried. She would not eat or drink, was very lethargic. I immediately called and wanted them to see her ASAP and they told me they were too busy. It was the day before Christmas eve and I said, "Please can you take her if I drop her off" and they agreed they would look at her quick and give me a call to let me know about their assessment of her. I got the call and she said everything sounded great and her blood work showed high that they thought was pancreatitis. I said, "Uh no. What's the treatment and what can we do." She said she was going to run another test that would let me know for sure it was pancreatitis.

She called and said it was a faint positive but that after her exam she was going to give her nausea meds and antibiotic. She sent us home with special dog food. We took her home and shortly after she started acting very sleepy and still not eating. Slowly as the night went on she started to seem very uncomfortable but I knew the vet assured me she would be better in a day or two after the meds. She said pancreatitis is painful. These symptoms are normal. So I watched her all night and noticed her breathing got bad and she was whining. I immediately picked her up and was rushing her to the emergency vet when I noticed blood coming out of her mouth and nose. I was absolutely scared to death.

I arrived and they rushed her back and called me back and the vet said, "I'm sorry mam. There is no easy way to tell you this but your dog is dying from congestive heart failure." I could not believe it. I told them of her diagnosis and they were puzzled because they said with 100% certainty she did not have pancreatitis and this condition would have been noticeable as soon as she was examined and could have received emergency treatment right away and possibly saved her life. I was so hurt. Here was this vet I trusted. 4 yrs doing vaccines and 6 month checkups and teeth cleanings and yearly ekgs to monitor her heart murmur. She had been on special low sodium diet for years.

We did everything right as owners and when we brought her to them so desperately needing help they failed her. She was there 5 hrs. How could they not have known. I am not out for revenge or to hurt their company. I want to make sure this never happens again to anyone. Please trust your gut. If you know something is wrong go straight to the emergency vet and not to Banfield. Nobody should ever have to lose a pet due to banfield's ignorance. Please be warned to know this could happen to your pet. They have a vet working who is very underqualified and negligent. Thank you for reading my story.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I got my cat back in September 2018. I wanted to get him neutered so I went to Banfield as they were conveniently located to my house. The process went fine except for their wellness plans, which, as I have learned from first-hand experience, are essentially a means to lock customers into on-going subscription payments without the customers being aware. I don't like debt so I was willing to pay upfront, however, I was convinced by the service gal that it made sense to do monthly installments as I would not be charged interest plus I would be able to get my credit card points. Had I known that what I was signing would involuntarily sign me up for a renewable service plan, I would have never agreed to the monthly installments and stuck with paying the full price upfront.

Banfield didn't even send me any sort of notification that I was being auto-renewed, just decided to charge my credit card. Had it not been for my due diligence in checking my CC statement, I would have must likely not know about these charges for some time, an opportunity that I think Banfield uses to take advantage of other unsuspecting victims/customers.

The experience got worse when I tried contacting Banfield customer support, talk about a system designed to get you to quit before you actually receive any service! After waiting on hold for over 2 hours, I was able to finally speak to someone about my bill, they were not very friendly or helpful. Both people I spoke to were adamant that because I signed a contract, with a bunch of small print, I was responsible for paying for the renewed subscription. Upon requesting a refund, I was told no because of this contract. This is when I pointed out contract law, when summarized means that all parties entering an agreement must all be knowledgeable and agree upon a given contract for said contract to be valid. You can't hide behind a contract when you purposely hide 'fine print' so you can validate future payments that weren't agreed upon! Shame on Banfield for such ugly billing practices!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My sweet dog Charity had a comprehensive physical 10/5/19 with her annual vaccinations. We enrolled in the wellness plan along with her Trifexsis. She passed with a clean bill of health. Scheduled dental cleaning for 11/11/19, lab work came back with a mildly elevated ALT (liver enzyme). She could not have the cleaning but with a prescription for Denamarin to treat the elevation. The extra lab and prescription was not covered so cost her bill was 189.00. The weekend of 12/15/19, she begin to act tired and lost her appetite.

Monday December 16 she was admitted to another veterinary emergency hospital ICU for two days where we learned she had liver, kidney, adrenal gland, enlarged kidney, lung nodules, and many other enlarged lymph nodes. I had to watch my poor girl suffer and be put to sleep. I am devastated. I feel that she was not diagnosed and a complete failure to evaluate her true condition. If a human was treated this ineptly with a lack of diagnosis, malpractice could be sued. The icing on the cake is corporate Banfield will not cancel her wellness plan until October 2020. Buyer Beware.

Not sure about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information