3.8/5 (1130 ratings)

About Banfield Pet Hospital

Banfield Pet Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Banfield Pet Hospital?

Original review: June 23, 2022

My 12 yo lab had severe diarrhea. I took him to Banfield off Woolbright in Boynton Beach Fl. The tech stated without any tests he has parvo. They tested him. Showed positive. But very faint. I had to wait another hour for them to run to another location to get a test. They stated it was positive. Sent me to an emergency place. Once there a bill for treatment was $3900. Banfield made it sound like he may not make it. So bring the bill for treatment. I was unfortunately thinking of the worst option. The Dr was amazing at the hospital. And offered another test. Which was NEGATIVE for parvo!!!

He was merely treated for anxiety. All tests were a great health report. But was still kept overnight. They felt bad in regards to Banfield mistake. She adjusted the bill to $1250. Not counting I missed a day of work no pay. This was last Feb. Hired a lawyer. After several letters they only offered to pay $250 for the misdiagnosis. Several letters were sent again. And nothing. I even emailed the president of Banfield. Nothing!!! Please think before using this hospital. Poor service. Corporate office ignores you. Horrible experience.

Original review: June 13, 2022

We have been waiting for our dog's test results for a week now, and I was informed then we will not get the results until the doctor that sent out the test was in the office. This is unacceptable. Our dog may have cancer and waiting a week for results we should have already received by now is asinine. The results should be available for any vet or vet tech to see so we can proceed with what needs to be done for our dog. Unfortunately this is not the only issue we have had with Banfield and we will not be renewing our plan when it comes time. These plans are not worth my dog's life.

Get buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2022

My pet was scheduled for a 2pm appt. We live an hour away. We confirmed the appt. My husband arrived with time to spare to be told that they needed to reschedule the appt because the Vet went to lunch. No apologies nothing!!!! They are always rude. You cannot get a hold of the office manager or corporate. They instructed me to email BANFIELDCARES@banfield.com. Everyone there is always in a nasty mood! For this I am paying 670.00 a year times two for both pets?

Original review: June 6, 2022

We have been with Banfield for 18 years, 3 dogs. Our dog was breathing rapidly and wouldn’t eat. My husband tried to get her in to see the Vet, they said take her to an Emergency Hospital, the one they gave us opened at 3 pm (this was at 9am). Our Bella passed away around noon at home waiting for her appointment. To add salt to the wounds they said I had to call corporate to cancel her policy. When I called they said it's an annual plan, if you cancel before you have to pay for services rendered at regular cost. I said I can see that if I was just canceling, and going somewhere else, but she died (we bought her to Banfield to arrange cremation). So I ended up paying an additional $200 for (services rendered).

I referred so many people to them over the years, because they actually use to take care of my dog if they were sick. My last dog had a seizure and they had me come right in, I guess their focus changed over the years. I will now tell all my friends I referred and anyone else who will listen, get a REAL so you have someone to depend on.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I’ve been using Banfield for years and I will not be renewing with them. This is not a good company unless your pet is healthy all the time. I’ve never had any issues with Banfield in the past. My dogs have generally been healthy, but this experience did me in. My Border Collie clearly had a UTI, so I called my regular Banfield as soon as I realized, trying to get an appointment for the next morning; not an emergency, but I’d say still pretty urgent.

It took me calling 5 hospitals around DFW before I could get her an appointment. Then, at the Banfield where I was actually able to get her in, they cancelled the morning of because the vet called in sick. Had to call more hospitals to find her another appointment. Took her in at 7:30am the next morning, almost 2 days later, where they charged me for a urinalysis and said it could take 2-3 days for her labs to come back. So I was sent home with NO antibiotics and a $60 bill, and was told repeatedly to just wait for the labs—while my dog has blood in her urine and is peeing all over our house. By the time I get any medication, it will almost have been a full week.

Why do I pay almost $700/year for these services? There was no sense of urgency with any location. When I called to follow up, the techs were rude and basically told me I could either pay out of pocket for 2 separate antibiotics or just wait for her labs to come back. My dog is almost 9 years old, so you’d think her veterinarian would be more considerate. Will absolutely be looking for a new vet as soon as my contract is over with them.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I enrolled my cat in the Banfield extra plan when I lived in one city. I was more or less pleased with the doctors and staff, although I never received the "free" first exam--I was charged for it and they would not remove the charge. I changed to another Banfield office when I moved up the road 60 miles. The staff at the new office was fine, the doctors, not so much. When I was told my cat needed a shot but that IT WAS NOT COVERED under the plan, I asked why not. No factual answer; what is the purpose of the plan if required shots are not covered at @$450.00/year? No factual answer--"it isn't covered." When my cat was seemingly hurt, they could not find anything wrong--Dr. said cats are hard to diagnose!!?? When I returned about a week later, a different Dr. said she would give him a shot--ALSO NOT COVERED--and miracle of miracles, he recovered.

The first "visit" was @$400.00--over the plan costs. The second was around $100 and he was "cured" from whatever "non-diagnosable" mystery illness he had.

This is only the beginning. Following this fiasco, I went online and CANCELLED my plan in February. When my bill came in March, I called and told them I cancelled my plan. They said, "OK, this will be your last charge." I then got my April bill and ANOTHER CHARGE. Now, they say there well be no further charges. Evidently, the PLAN lasts for an entire calendar year, so you CAN NOT CANCEL even if the care is sub-standard and the required shots are not covered. It seems to me that the "plan" is simply an annuity to keep you coming back so they can charge you for "required" treatments that are NOT COVERED BY THE PLAN.

When a customer is dissatisfied and cancels the plan, they are required to pay out entire year even if they do not wish to use their care facilities any longer. While many will say that I should have "read the fine print" requiring me to pay for an entire year and that lists the items that are covered, I agree, but also I would suggest that the company provide a clear and concise data sheet when enrolling that clearly explains these terms and conditions. In addition, I would suggest that the REQUIRED shots that are NOT COVERED are clearly listed in any documentation provided and the PRICES for these required shots also be listed so that the customer is not blindsided.

I am very unhappy with the dollars I spent for what I consider sub-standard and somewhat sneaky care. I take responsibility for not reading the fine print, so that is on me. However, a REPUTABLE company will explain their terms and conditions clearly and make sure the customer understands the rules and limitations BEFORE committing to them. It all seems shady to me and not the way a business should be run. You can make your own determination, but be sure to ask questions before you enroll. You are stuck for paying for the 12 months whether you are pleased with the care or not. I have since found a local office that is both small, quiet, professional, and charges reasonable rates for retired customers like me in a town full of billionaires, which I am not. Possibly your local independent office is a better choice for you and your pet. You have to decide this for yourself.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I have no complaints about the doctors or staff, however, their pet contracts are a nightmare! I was a paying customer on their contracts for 3 years for one pet, never missed a monthly payment. I lost my job and had to move to a rural area where there was no Banfield Pet Hospital located within 3 hours. There had been no services rendered at all yet for the new contract. I called them to try to cancel and was told I had to payout my entire contract, yet I had no job and their payment was making my checking account overdraft, because again I was unemployed!

I had to go to my bank and stop payment on the withdrawal! Within a month or so they had turned me into collections. This is unbelievable! They were wanting $692 for nothing!! No services done to my dog at all! Companies like this are a total scam, out for money and trying to ruin people’s credit. I had worked hard to restore my credit score after a divorce, all to be lowered again for this. I hope this helps someone in the future before they decide to get a contract for their pet through this company.

Original review: May 20, 2022

My adult dog had a stomach bug, we took her in and the vet recommended the Wellness Plan. My husband and I considered it, she was getting a bit older so we agreed. Within 2 months our poor dog's health declined, we had to come in and get more tests, including a second round a blood tests that wasn't included, and she passed away. Almost two months after she passed I got charged for the Wellness Plan and called to see what could be done. The answer is nothing, I signed a year contract. So I lost my dog, paid for extra stuff that wasn't covered in the plan, and now get to continue to pay each month (for 10 months) until my contract is up. I really enjoyed the vets at the location, but not if their purpose is to offer extra tests and these plans. Then really stick it to you when it doesn't work out.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Banfield played a major role in causing the suffering and death of my new kitten! They ignored blood test results, failed to look back into her records when brought back in for a sick visit, and proceeded to administer a rabies vaccine without my consent, while she was suffering symptoms. She came home incontinent and unable to walk. I took her to a vet and he said she was in complete kidney failure and was euthanized that day while I held her. They wouldn’t cancel the contract and continued to take money straight out of our bank account, even after her death! We called the bank and they took care of it, we told them it was fraud. Please do not trust Banfield with your pets or your bank account! We learned the hard way!

Original review: May 13, 2022

There's a lack of disclosures when they sell you the insurance at the location. They are clearly compensated as they sell you with the insurance being a better deal and even upsold me a few months later not disclosing a contract upgrade. Don't do it, find a local vet who sees you as a human, not a greedy insurance company who sees you as a profit.

Banfield Pet Hospital Company Information