2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

9Lives Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I always buy 9 Lives Meaty Pate with Real Tuna and Shrimp. It is bought as somewhat of a special treat food for my 2 cats. They love love it. Or at least they did until this afternoon. I opened a can from a new delivery and it just wasn't the same at all!!!! I gave it to them, maybe I am wrong, and the 2 of them didn't even come near the bowls. It's still sitting there. I know know that this is not the same product. What can I do?? I am so mad. I bought a lot from Chewy. How can I return heavy amounts of food. I really need an answer. Maybe they mislabeled the cans. HELP.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

My cat is a beautiful healthy indoor 9 year old who has never been sick! My cat was HEALTHY AND FINE in the years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds leading up to eating that poison of a can this company calls "food." I bought a can for my cat because the shop I was in didn't have his regular cans. I thought why not, he's had the 9Lives dry food plenty of times. When his 9pm dinner time (Wednesday.) approached I gave him quarter a can and let him be. 15 minutes later I came back to pick his bowl up and found him laying there with vomit surrounding him. His head was wobbly, his eyes were going back and forth. He got up and couldn't walk straight. He was stumbling and falling over himself like he was drunk.

Later on he was still dizzy and I laid him down so he could rest. The next morning (Thursday.) when I woke up at 8:30am he was still incredibly dizzy and his eyes could not keep still. He couldn't walk and was still throwing up. I called the vet and could take him the following day. The entire day he was dizzy and lethargic and eyes still going back and forth. Stumbling over himself and falling.

The next day (Friday.) I took him to his 12pm appointment. The vet said if it's poison he would like to give fluids to flush it out his system. The entire day onwards my cat was lethargic and resting. He didn't get up for 20 hours. As soon as hour 21 came, (Saturday morning.) he opened his eyes, peed out all the fluids all over himself and got up. Later on that night he licked one small bit of different can food. Still dizzy.

Fast forward to the next day, (Sunday. Now, as I write this.) he has finally drank water on his own, he ate some food and has clear eyes and is acting like himself, he does not have shaking eyes but he is still wobbly and falling over as he walks and stumbling over himself like he's drunk. He cannot walk in a straight line and he needs me to help guide him as he walks to the litter box and I have to hold his left side as he drinks so he doesn't fall over. We'll see how he goes as far as his balance is concerned. I wonder if he'll get over it or if it's permanent damage. Seriously, DO NOT buy this can food! It's straight poison!

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Normally, I feed my cat Friskies, but I found Tuna & Egg by 9 Lives and thought my cat might like it. I gave it to her, and she started vomiting shortly after. She has started itching all over and has sores on her skin. She is just not herself. I decided to look on the Internet to see if other people had this experience with 9 Lives. My heart is broken. So many cats have been sick and suffered due to this food. I called my cats vet, but they can’t get her in until the end of the month. I’m so scared. I don’t want my cat to die. Something is wrong with this food and this should be stopped.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I'm am surprised to read that some folks cats will eat this because my cats over the years have all refused to touch it. They simply sniff and walk away. Something is definitely wrong with this company's cat food and seems they are out to kill rather than help cats with their food. Please avoid at all costs. Friskies is the best affordable option.

Original review: June 24, 2020

My cat is 13 years old and has never had any health issues. After eating food from this bag of Plus Care cat food, she’s lost weight due to not eating, been lethargic, and hiding from us. I noticed moths in the airtight container in which we keep the food. Even after getting rid of them all, when we would close the container and open it the next day, tons of moths would fly out. I’m confident they were in the food all along. I guess that’s why my cat won’t eat it and why, when she’s starving and finally does, it makes her sick. I’m an angered pet owner!!!

Original review: June 12, 2020

I currently have 3 cats, 20+, 18 and 13 years old. They have all been fed 9Lives dry & pate foods their whole lives. The only other dry food they will eat is Dad's. They choose to go hungry instead. They grudgingly will also eat Friskies pate, but only if 9Lives is not forthcoming. They believe in 9Lives, so I do also.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Please Don't feed your animals 9Lives canned food. It made both my cats repeatedly regurgitate, they've been throwing up all over the house right after eating this. I only bought one 12 pack. They always are Friskies before and I thought I would try 9 Lives because it too was inexpensive. I just switched back, I hope my cats recover from this, so far had to clean up 5 throw ups. This has Never happened before and my cats are only 3 and 4 yrs. old.

Original review: April 29, 2020

This food is dangerous & ended up in tragically making one of our cats to pass away. Ever since switching to this food he got sick and today he died. I want to warn all cat owners. Please be careful if you purchase this!

Original review: March 6, 2020

Usually my cat eats either Iams or Purina's Urinary Tract Health hard food. We couldn't really afford those options starting late 2019, maybe early 2020, so we started getting less expensive bags & experimented with the different options & seeing what he seemed to like best. Once we tried the 9 Lives Indoor Formula. Not long after, my cat started getting sick. We were moving at the time, so at first I thought maybe the stress was getting to him, or his age (8 years), or a toothache, or such. I then got him wet food and kept him on that for a few days, slowly introducing the hard food back in. The problem, repeated, but it was a small bag, so we were quickly out of it. My friend mentioned her cat being allergic to a dye that some foods had in them. So I thought it was that. She gave me some food to get me through another week or so. Then, my boyfriend accidentally bought the same kind of food AGAIN!

A couple days later, the problem started again! So I went out & got him something different & more soft food to wash him out quickly. He was fine after that. This last bag another friend bought for me & it is the 9 Lives for senior cats, and after just one meal, he started acting funny again. I just put a small bit more in his bowl, but after reading what everyone else is saying, I will be picking it back up as soon as I am finished here & we will NEVER be purchasing ANYTHING from this company EVER AGAIN!!!

I no longer trust this company. They need to be sued. They need to be shut down for not even trying to hear their customers out. If the owner(s) own any animals, they should be ripped away from them & given to other families but be told they were put down, they should have to sit down and eat a 7 course meal with servings consisting only of products offered by 9 Lives, & they should be viewed as criminals if they are knowingly or negligently allowing animals to suffer--any regular person out here in the real world caught being cruel to animals is punished criminally. How is this any different!?

Original review: March 5, 2020

45 years I used 9 Lives Cat Food, not no more. They must have changed the formula. Even the dog turned his head away from the can. I called Heart Pet Foods & asked what was going on. THEY hung up on me. Pate is ** in a can. I had cats get sick. Now I know why. Recall your so-called 9 lives. They will lose the other 8 live if they eat heart pet food. The message is a clear. Recall your can pet food. The dry 16 lbs is fine. ROBERT **. MEATY PATE HEART CUTS TENDER MORSELS AND THE NEW PROTEIN PLUS I TRIED THEM ALL. A CAN OF PET FOOD SHOULD NOT STINK STANK STUNK GOODBYE.

9Lives Cat Food Company Information