9Lives Cat Food
1.46/5
Based on 256 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need help choosing a cat food brand?

9Lives Cat Food

Lavonia, GA

264 9Lives Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

While I was growing up, my mom always fed our cats Meow Mix. I even did my 9th grade science fair project on 3 different brands with Meow Mix being one of them. Now, as an adult, I have 4 cats, a set of sisters and a younger set of brothers, Tiffany, Tabby (1 year old) Titan & Thor (5 months old). I fed them Meow Mix always until we were in the middle of a job change and wasn't going to have a paycheck for 3-4 weeks. I went to the Family Dollar in Alexandria, IN and purchased a 20# bag of 9Lives dry food. It was on sale at a decent price and I was limited on money, so I figured that it would last them until payday. I usually can't afford a big bag of Meow Mix and I was worried we would run out of food before our next payday. So needless to say, I bought it.

Reluctantly, my furbabies started eating it. Within a week, they were throwing up. During that same week, Titan, one of my 5 month old male furbabies, started coughing then threw up his food and kept throwing up until it was just white, foamy stomach bile. Then, he stopped using using the litter box and instead choosing to go on carpet, couches, recliners and bedding. Then, out of nowhere, he had 3 violent seizures in 5 days.

The seizures got worse with each one, more violent and lasting longer and longer with the last one being almost 3 1/2 - 4 minutes. He would roll and tumble and his poor little, weak body would shake and curl up, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and his tongue hung out. He looked like he was dying and there was nothing we could do to help him. It was one of the scariest things I had ever seen and I cried and cried, fully expecting him to pass right in front of us and with my 4 & 6 year olds crying in the next room as they walked in right as it started to happen. Thankfully and luckily he pulled out of it and within 2 minutes, he was back to himself.

I started to do some research after the first seizure. Then today, I stumbled upon a blog post about a fellow cat mom whose cat started having seizures out of nowhere at 5 years old. Numerous vet and feline neurologist appointments later, the kitty was diagnosed with Idiopathic Seizures and placed on ** 2x a day. She went on to write about how her family changed their diet years later to a more all-natural diet and changed the cat's diet along with theirs. She stated that after changing her cat's diet, the seizure medicine was no longer needed as the cat stopped having them altogether. This got me thinking.

So, I searched "9Lives Reviews" and ended up here. As I read all the reviews, my eyes widened with horror and panic. Immediately, I jumped up and grabbed my cats' food bowls and dumped the food into the garbage. I washed them out with soap and water so there was no residue of that crap left in their bowls. I left right there and took the last $5 we have to our name and bought a bag of Meow Mix. I may not be able to get to work tomorrow, but at least my cats will no longer be poisoned by this terrible brand.

I just changed it back tonight, so time will tell. I can say this, however, that after eating the Meow Mix, all 4 of my precious furbabies are starting to act more like themselves again. 9Lives is more like Killing Lives. I firmly believe that if the 9Lives company will not take the lives of our pets seriously and will not act on the many complaints of their consumers, then action needs to be taken by everyone coming together.

Their food is killing our furbabies and they do not even care! I am spreading the word and going to be calling as many people as will listen, including my local news channel. Channel 8 will investigate into complaints and I am going to make sure that my voice is heard loud and clear. Our animals are like our young little ones, we are their voice. Everyone that has left a review or reading over them, eyes wide in horror like I just was, need to come together and make this company be responsible! I almost lost my furbaby over $7.99. NEVER AGAIN. This product is toxic.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

9Lives canned food - I have a senior cat, 15... she has always loved the cheaper brands best for some reason. I had been giving her Meow Mix and Fancy Feast for the last few years. I ran out of food and had to go to the corner store. I had given her 9Lives before without problems years ago. This time she ate it and within hours she had major diarrhea, just once, then she was walking in circles, peeing outside of her box and seemed to be in a daze all day. I gave her water but I had to hold the bowl up to her.

I don't know what 9Lives did differently but they seem to be poisoning cats left and right... she is starting to recover now and even started purring again today. Thank God. I love that cat since I saved her. Someone threw her out of a car window when she was days old, I had to dropper feed her and learn how to be a mother cat. Her eyes were not even open yet. I am a dog person and didn't care for cats. She changed my mind. Please NEVER feed your cats 9Lives again, they switched formula or something, probably moved to China.

Get expert buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My 2 old cats like 9Lives the best. Have tried other cat food but they will leave it sit in bowl until they both realize that is what is for the meal today.

Original review: June 24, 2018

The cat eats 9Lives Cat Food all the time. If he doesn't like food he won't eat so he must like it. I've tried other brands but he decided he didn't like it so I'd end up throwing it away. This is a good price and good variety. They offer chicken and that's the cat’s favorite.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My cats like all children loved this cat food even though it is not the healthiest diet for them. The grain and preservatives in this cat food turns out are not at all healthy for a cat. So this food is low grade and it is not worth the price you pay for it. Although they have a good mix of proteins, they are using meal mixes instead of whole meat proteins and they use way too much salt. So I have now changed my cat food and my cats are doing much better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: June 22, 2018

I looked at the ingredients and they are far less superior than Blue Buffalo or equivalent. The more expensive brands have better ingredients, not byproducts and fillers some of the cheaper brands have.

Original review: June 17, 2018

9Lives Cat Food is a brand my cat enjoys. It comes in a small can my cat enjoyed. The can is full of flavor, compact with meat, texture with softness my cat really knows. 9Lives is a brand can always tells when he being fed.

Original review: June 15, 2018

After 12 days of feeding Surf 'N Turf canned food to my cat, she died. The vet didn't know what her sickness was coming from, lethargy, diarrhea, ultimately anemia. He said she looked to have multiple internal issues as well. I got a new kitten, and she started showing the same signs. I looked up the food and sure enough, it's from hell itself. 9Lives customer support didn't take me seriously, and didn't act like they would do much about it! I switched my new kitten's food and she has recovered! I'll never be able to replace my Lilith though. Shame on you 9Lives.

Original review: June 14, 2018

We also have had 5 cats get seriously ill from eating 9Lives Essential Dry Cat Food 20# bag. I notice vomiting and diarrhea in a couple of cats and thought they got into something. As the days went on I saw more and more diarrhea and vomiting. The cats were not playing. Just sleeping. They were getting seriously dehydrated and was giving them fluids when it occurred to me that it maybe the food. I purchased something else and that same day the vomiting stopped and the diarrhea went away by the next day. I tried complaining to 9Lives but they didn't seem to care. Bad food. Stay away.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have fed our cats 9Lives Cat Food for a couple of years now and they seem to prefer it over the other cat foods they have tried. I'm one of those people if it's not broke don't fix it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This is a cat rescued from a kid who had allergies and he raised it from a baby kitten. The cat will not eat any table food, loves the canned variety (9Lives Cat Food). Some dry food.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I had to put my 6 month old baby kitten down. She had liver failure and she was anemic. As I'm reading these comments I see the comparison in symptoms. She was sick the same way these other cats were and instead of letting her suffer the vet advised putting her down. We had to bury our first family pet and my 5 year old daughter cried saying it wasn't fair. I'm convinced it was from the food even though we switched when we heard about the recall it was too late for my baby!!! I believe we should start a class action suit against 9Lives!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I wish you have 0 star to rate my experience. I fed my cat with 9Lives wet food by my first time. First day my cat didn't eat it, so I put the food in the plate in a ziplock bag and the second day I tried again. I went outside to walk my dog and when I returned 10 minutes after my cat was death. She was just three years old. This food kill my cat.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We have been very worried as several of our cats have been getting sick. When I checked out this site and realized that other people are having the same problem I got angry. I’ve been feeding my cats 9Lives Daily Essentials for years. The last month and a half we have purchased three 20 lb bag of Daily Essentials from our Dollar General.

We have nine cats and at first it was just one here and there throwing up, now we have five who have started vomiting after eating, some have been meowing constantly, there is fighting too many times in a day. Three have not wanted to be held, they have all been sleeping more than usual and we have several who have been peeing outside of the litter box. These behaviors did not happen before the contents of these bags of food was used. We will no longer be buying any 9Lives products. 9Lives you need to figure out what the problem is and fix it. We will be buying from a different company. Unfortunately I don't keep receipts, but I know what we purchase monthly.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Started feeding 9Lives this weekend. I went in the Dollar Store, because we were out of cat food, this was the only brand of wet food they had available. Our cats ate the food Sunday and Monday. One of them threw up everything she ate, but even so, I found her last night dazed and drooling after eating. She recovered and seems to be ok. Our other cat ate a double portion and hasn't been so lucky. Last night he lost control of his back legs. He walked like he was drunk. This morning I went to check on him and he can't move anything but his head, too weak to stand or move. He is at the vet now, getting IV fluids, steroids, not sure if he is going to survive.

Nothing has changed for our cats with the exception of this food. I'm hating myself now for doing the convenient thing and not going to another store for their usual Friskies, if I had, my cat might be ok today and not on the edge of death. I wish I had known about all these reviews people have left with similar problems. Do yourself a favor and don't feed your cat this garbage.

Original review: April 23, 2018

My mother is 79 years old. 2 weeks ago I took her female cat Michelle to the vet, due to vomiting, diarrhea, weak, laying around and crying out in pain. The vet gave her antibiotics and pain pills. No blood work was done due her weakness. She died the next day. A week after this happened my mom's male cat died the same way. 4 days after this one died, the oldest female cat of my moms was found dead. Mom had given her cats 9Lives daily essential cat food. These cats are all indoor cats. My mother is suffering very bad from losing her cats. Shame on you who makes and packages this food. Shame on you.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I’ve been feeding my cats 9 Lives Daily Essentials for years with no issues. Last week I bought a 20lb bag of Daily Essentials and since eating it the cats have started vomiting shortly after eating, meowing (caterwauling really) constantly, fighting all the time, ignoring their cat tree and all but refusing to use the litter box. None of these behaviors occurred before the contents of this bag of food was used. Now, while I am not swearing off 9 Lives products forever, the remainder of THIS almost full bag, will go in the pond to feed the fishes, ducks and geese. And until I am satisfied that the 9 Lives people have INVESTIGATED, IDENTIFIED, CORRECTED and/or ELIMINATED THE PROBLEM, my cats will be eating food from a different manufacturer...

Original review: April 7, 2018

I just bought a bag of 9Lives at Wal-Mart. My cats have always ate this with no issues. For some reasons with this new bag my cats act as though they haven't ate at all and have liquid bowel movements. One is barely eating, drinking and sick. This all started with this bag of food. After seeing the reviews I can see a pattern!!! Something is going on. I will no longer be purchasing this brand.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My 10 yr old male cat has eaten this food off and on for years without any issues. I recently bought a new bag from Walmart. My cat won't touch the food now. I am sure he ate some and he is lethargic and cannot jump onto the sofa without falling. His is not grooming himself and laying down on the floor which he never does. Last night he was really bad. I kept him in my bed so I could watch over him. He isn't meowing or playing or even trying to lay on me which he always did. I am hoping this runs its course and he recovers. Someone needs to look into this as soon as possible.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I purchased 3 20 pound bags of 9 Lives Daily Essentials cat food. I have 2 barns with cats and house cats. They are all vomiting and very sick. The cats in one barn are not eating at all and just sitting around looking very bad. I have fed this cat food for years - I will not feed it anymore.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've got cats and they keep throwing up the cat food which is 9Lives dry cat food careplus. I just had a cat die and now I have another cat very very sick. I will never buy this cat food again and I will make sure that everyone knows to beware of this cat food... not a happy customer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My senior cat started to have seizures when I was feeding him this garbage. I started buying it because it was convenient to get for the moment and it messed him up. I will never give my cat bad food ever again. Since I’ve been giving my cat good food now, he doesn’t have seizures anymore. What the heck is in it that causes this? Stop making this crap.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Plus Care made my cats sick. I have three indoor cats that I've fed Plus Care for years. Bought a new bag on Sunday 1/07 and they stopped eating all food and have been violently vomiting after eating from the new bag. They've all had no appetite and after taking them to the vet they're on antibiotics and appetite stimulants now. There is definitely something wrong with this batch of the Plus Care dry food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My Puma has been eating 9Lives Plus Care for a few years. Recently he began vomiting within minutes of eating. I thought at first perhaps he just had a temporary upset stomach. But it's been going on two weeks, within minutes after eating he vomits multiple times. Breaks my heart, I'm a 9Lives fan but will definitely have to move on for my boy's sake.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My 3 cats all are inside cats... I fed all 3 this 9Lives Plus Care. Within a day violent vomiting, I am so upset the one cat is very ill. The other two no energy. You better recall this crap. Before more cats are affected... Please!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

9Lives killed my cat, I hate that I ever purchased the product. My cat became sick vomiting, not eating, and shaking. He lost his battle this weekend. My family is heartbroken, a member of our family was removed over $10.99.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I recently started feeding my 2 cats 9Lives salmon and whitefish canned food. At first everything seemed fine and they liked eating it. After a week or two, they started vomiting it. Now one of the cats won't eat anything and has been crying like she's hungry but refuses to eat. I have even tried homemade cooked chicken, turkey, beef, canned human tuna and milk. She takes a lick and then stops. Something is really wrong and I am starting to suspect the canned 9Lives has something in it making them sick. She is going to the vet tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been using 9Lives Plus for yrs for all my rescues. I had a Tom that needed to have his peepee removed because of like a sand in his urinary tract. All my seniors since then are coming down with kidney failure??? I thought I was trying to prevent this. I now have a 6-yr-old with weak kidney??? I have had no problem with males getting blocked. Why the kidney problem? Please explain.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

9Lives can cat food Real Chicken and Beef Gravy lot # 7151803, A1BEF1636, Best Used By 5-30-2020. I purchase two 4 can packs. I noticed the can looked strange. The lid was not flat, it was bubbled on top. When I opened the can it kind of exploded (pressure). It was not vacuum packed. When it exploded it went in my face and my shirt which got soiled. The food had a foul odor. My cat walked up to the bowl and backed up. I have a cat that eats everything and when he walked away I knew something was terribly wrong with the cat food. I have been using 9Lives wet and dry cat food for years. I have 2 cats and they always look forward to dinner but not tonight!!!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I want to share with you about feeding cats anything with Tuna or White fish and you may already know this. I bought for my cats 9Lives can cat food and noticed immediately my senior cat started to have convulsions and seizures! He was having them so bad he couldn't walk! I jumped on Google and found what was going on with him was Mercury Poisoning! I stopped feeding them any food with Tuna or White fish and no more seizing. So beware, if you feed yours any canned or dry food with tuna or white fish and they start showing signs or acting weird like seizing stop feeding immediately! That was the scariest thing I have ever seen but now I know. Mercury is found in larger fish like Tuna. So remember: the bigger the fish the more mercury. So with that said, I fed them Salmon and they are fine and no signs of Mercury Poisoning so it's a good choice if you want to feed them fish.

Not sure about 9Lives Cat Food?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cat Food for you.

9Lives Cat Food Company Information

9Lives
    www.9lives.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business