2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

9Lives Cat Food Reviews

Original review: April 30, 2020

Please Don't feed your animals 9Lives canned food. It made both my cats repeatedly regurgitate, they've been throwing up all over the house right after eating this. I only bought one 12 pack. They always are Friskies before and I thought I would try 9 Lives because it too was inexpensive. I just switched back, I hope my cats recover from this, so far had to clean up 5 throw ups. This has Never happened before and my cats are only 3 and 4 yrs. old.

Original review: April 29, 2020

This food is dangerous & ended up in tragically making one of our cats to pass away. Ever since switching to this food he got sick and today he died. I want to warn all cat owners. Please be careful if you purchase this!

Get buying tips about Cat Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Usually my cat eats either Iams or Purina's Urinary Tract Health hard food. We couldn't really afford those options starting late 2019, maybe early 2020, so we started getting less expensive bags & experimented with the different options & seeing what he seemed to like best. Once we tried the 9 Lives Indoor Formula. Not long after, my cat started getting sick. We were moving at the time, so at first I thought maybe the stress was getting to him, or his age (8 years), or a toothache, or such. I then got him wet food and kept him on that for a few days, slowly introducing the hard food back in. The problem, repeated, but it was a small bag, so we were quickly out of it. My friend mentioned her cat being allergic to a dye that some foods had in them. So I thought it was that. She gave me some food to get me through another week or so. Then, my boyfriend accidentally bought the same kind of food AGAIN!

A couple days later, the problem started again! So I went out & got him something different & more soft food to wash him out quickly. He was fine after that. This last bag another friend bought for me & it is the 9 Lives for senior cats, and after just one meal, he started acting funny again. I just put a small bit more in his bowl, but after reading what everyone else is saying, I will be picking it back up as soon as I am finished here & we will NEVER be purchasing ANYTHING from this company EVER AGAIN!!!

I no longer trust this company. They need to be sued. They need to be shut down for not even trying to hear their customers out. If the owner(s) own any animals, they should be ripped away from them & given to other families but be told they were put down, they should have to sit down and eat a 7 course meal with servings consisting only of products offered by 9 Lives, & they should be viewed as criminals if they are knowingly or negligently allowing animals to suffer--any regular person out here in the real world caught being cruel to animals is punished criminally. How is this any different!?

Original review: March 5, 2020

45 years I used 9 Lives Cat Food, not no more. They must have changed the formula. Even the dog turned his head away from the can. I called Heart Pet Foods & asked what was going on. THEY hung up on me. Pate is ** in a can. I had cats get sick. Now I know why. Recall your so-called 9 lives. They will lose the other 8 live if they eat heart pet food. The message is a clear. Recall your can pet food. The dry 16 lbs is fine. ROBERT **. MEATY PATE HEART CUTS TENDER MORSELS AND THE NEW PROTEIN PLUS I TRIED THEM ALL. A CAN OF PET FOOD SHOULD NOT STINK STANK STUNK GOODBYE.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have had 3 cats. I always fed them 9 Lives Daily Essentials. They would refuse anything else. In September I had to put my female cat to sleep after she got very sick from an unknown illness. She had horrible breath and would regurgitate after eating within minutes. Her weight diminished quickly and she gave up eating altogether.

A month or two later my male cat was showing similar symptoms and I was worried that something in my house such as my water was maybe the cause. I had extensive bloodwork done and tests done but everything was negative. I was given pills for nausea but they don't work for him. He goes back to the vet this week for another check up because he is still vomiting and losing weight. Tonight I watched my 4 year old healthy cat vomit immediately after eating the 9 lives daily essentials which I would have never thought would be the cause since I have been using it for the last 9 years. Something has happened and this food needs to be recalled. After reading the comments here, I am sure this is the cause of my cats death and the others getting sick.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Do not buy 9Lives for your cat. I bought the 9Lives protein plus dry food for my cat and soon after my cat started throwing up and he got very fatigue. Well he died today which is Christmas Eve because of the 9Lives food. This all happened within 36 hours. This food is poison!!! So heartbroken.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I was given some of this cat food by a friend, and I fed it to my cat for 3 days, he began to violently vomit and had severe diarrhea. After 3 days I stopped feeding my cat the food. He did not get better, he began to scream for food all the time, as if he was starving. For 3 weeks he continued to vomit a couple times a day and the diarrhea continued. It was so horrible, it literally smelled up the whole house when he went poo. He lost a ton of weight, and started to poo outside his box. Just an awful experience. I tried everything. I put him on a boiled chicken diet, gave him probioticcs, gave him chicken broth via a syringe to keep him hydrated.

Finally he was put on antibiotics, he seems to be after 3 days on antis getting better, he had his first solid poo in 3 weeks and his diarrhea is intermittent. This all started with 9 Lives cat food. I researched and there is a recall but there is something really wrong with this food besides what they claim in the recall. I mean very wrong. Do not feed this food to your animal. We almost ended his life. The experience was so horrible, we wanted to end his suffering. He's still not out of the woods yet, but we are seeing some improvement, time will tell. I will NEVER feed any animal this food. NEVER.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

My dad bought the 9 Lives dry food. My cat ate it and now we are at the vet because his colon is inflamed. We are looking at $1500 - $3000 worth of vet bills. He was fine before we started feeding him this, one day on it and now he is at the vet. DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR PETS!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

If you love your cat do not feed them any 9lives products. When I adopted a recuse 9lives was the first food I tried. She immediately started throwing up but I had been told the other cats were pushing her away at feeding time so I assumed it was because she learned if she could eat fast enough she'd at least get something. I bought her a slow feed bowl and she still continued to throw up. Changed the food and she stopped. I accidentally ran out of cat food and realized I had a sample bag figuring it would get me through the night. Lo and behold 5 mins after eating the 9 lives she started throwing up. Looking at all the other reviews I'm not sure how this brand hasn't been pulled from the shelves. Moral of the story is don't feed it to your cats.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

My cat ate 9Lives Homestyle Classics case the pate. Made her start throwing up and diarrhea! If you have this issue call 188 496-4837. The Hearty Cuts she didn't throw up or diarrhea! Bought it at BJ's! So call 9lives!

9Lives Cat Food Company Information