9Lives Cat Food
1.42/5
  • 1 star
Based on 234 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

9Lives Cat Food

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 13, 2018

242 9Lives Cat Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Plus Care made my cats sick. I have three indoor cats that I've fed Plus Care for years. Bought a new bag on Sunday 1/07 and they stopped eating all food and have been violently vomiting after eating from the new bag. They've all had no appetite and after taking them to the vet they're on antibiotics and appetite stimulants now. There is definitely something wrong with this batch of the Plus Care dry food.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My Puma has been eating 9Lives Plus Care for a few years. Recently he began vomiting within minutes of eating. I thought at first perhaps he just had a temporary upset stomach. But it's been going on two weeks, within minutes after eating he vomits multiple times. Breaks my heart, I'm a 9Lives fan but will definitely have to move on for my boy's sake.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My 3 cats all are inside cats... I fed all 3 this 9Lives Plus Care. Within a day violent vomiting, I am so upset the one cat is very ill. The other two no energy. You better recall this crap. Before more cats are affected... Please!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

9Lives killed my cat, I hate that I ever purchased the product. My cat became sick vomiting, not eating, and shaking. He lost his battle this weekend. My family is heartbroken, a member of our family was removed over $10.99.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I recently started feeding my 2 cats 9Lives salmon and whitefish canned food. At first everything seemed fine and they liked eating it. After a week or two, they started vomiting it. Now one of the cats won't eat anything and has been crying like she's hungry but refuses to eat. I have even tried homemade cooked chicken, turkey, beef, canned human tuna and milk. She takes a lick and then stops. Something is really wrong and I am starting to suspect the canned 9Lives has something in it making them sick. She is going to the vet tomorrow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been using 9Lives Plus for yrs for all my rescues. I had a Tom that needed to have his peepee removed because of like a sand in his urinary tract. All my seniors since then are coming down with kidney failure??? I thought I was trying to prevent this. I now have a 6-yr-old with weak kidney??? I have had no problem with males getting blocked. Why the kidney problem? Please explain.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

9Lives can cat food Real Chicken and Beef Gravy lot # 7151803, A1BEF1636, Best Used By 5-30-2020. I purchase two 4 can packs. I noticed the can looked strange. The lid was not flat, it was bubbled on top. When I opened the can it kind of exploded (pressure). It was not vacuum packed. When it exploded it went in my face and my shirt which got soiled. The food had a foul odor. My cat walked up to the bowl and backed up. I have a cat that eats everything and when he walked away I knew something was terribly wrong with the cat food. I have been using 9Lives wet and dry cat food for years. I have 2 cats and they always look forward to dinner but not tonight!!!

Original review: July 27, 2017

I want to share with you about feeding cats anything with Tuna or White fish and you may already know this. I bought for my cats 9Lives can cat food and noticed immediately my senior cat started to have convulsions and seizures! He was having them so bad he couldn't walk! I jumped on Google and found what was going on with him was Mercury Poisoning! I stopped feeding them any food with Tuna or White fish and no more seizing. So beware, if you feed yours any canned or dry food with tuna or white fish and they start showing signs or acting weird like seizing stop feeding immediately! That was the scariest thing I have ever seen but now I know. Mercury is found in larger fish like Tuna. So remember: the bigger the fish the more mercury. So with that said, I fed them Salmon and they are fine and no signs of Mercury Poisoning so it's a good choice if you want to feed them fish.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Have been using 9Lives Cat Food for over a year now. Cats were okay. Only liked 2 of the flavors they had though. Last month, I noticed they were having issues with vomiting cat food back up occasionally. Then in the last 3 or 4 weeks they have nearly stopped eating any of the wet food (9Lives) I have put out for them. Cats are experiencing weight loss. I recently opened a can of Meaty Pate with Real Chicken and Tuna (their regular favorite) and it turned this color not long after I put it out for them. Don't know what's going on with the 9Lives Company, but I'm switching cat food brands for sure!

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have 3 indoor cats and I feed 4 outdoor cats. I usually Friskies hard and soft food for my cats. They get 1 can soft food in the mornings and there 4 bowls always has hard food for them. My cats range from 2 yrs to 5 yrs old. I have never had any problems with them throwing up till I bought them 9Lives last week. They went 3 days without eating their hard food. They picked at the food and my oldest cat walked away from dish and instantly throw up. I usually have to fill their bowls twice a day but for 3 days their food stayed the same amount and they all would cry when I went near their bowls.

The same with the outdoor cats. They would not touch their food. I watched them go to the dishes then sniff food and walk away. I don't know what is in their food but my youngest cat eats anything he sees me eating even pancakes so for him to not eat this stuff it scares me to think what I was feeding them. I had bought a 13lb bag and throw away most of it. I will never buy this brand and will make sure to tell all the cat lovers I know about my experience with 9Lives.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I have been feeding my cat the 9Lives cat food because likes the can food, but he became sick. I thought to switch to a different brand and decided to go with EverPet cat food figuring that would help, but it didn't, so I took my cat to the vet and they had to keep him there for a while. A few days later there was no change. $200.00 later I decided to try to feed it to him through a feeder. He started looking better, but he was getting weaker. I took him back to the vet and $51.00 dollars later due to him needing vitamins and a stronger medication.

I went to buy more food and was told that there was a recall on the 9Lives cat food so I bought the EverPet food instead. I now discovered that there is a recall on the EverPet. WTH... This cat is really sick and if he doesn't improve, he may have to be euthanized, which is not where I want to go. I think these pet food co's need to pay the vet bill and hospital bills and should the case of euthanization be the only option, there should be a lawsuit.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

In Dec. I got my 15 year old cat 9Lives, to give her a change. She got very sick! & has lost over 10 lb. 4 cans of your 9Lives may cost my cat her life. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY 9LIVES AGAIN. I was not planning on my furbaby getting sick off your food!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I'd have to say surprisingly my cats did not like the white fish which I thought was normal to maybe see white shards. But! They always loved super supper which had nothing residual until the past couple of months or so.:-( Thank God this thing has been recalled in my area of Virginia.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

Last year a neighbor moved and left at least 5 cats. I have been feeding them. Most of them are feral and will eat anything. The weather has been cold and I wanted to increase their calories I have added canned food. I bought 9Lives this time and they won't touch it. Not one of them. What's going on?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I usually buy Friskies canned food, but thought I would try the 12 pack of 9 lives canned food. My cat has started throwing up his food, and is crying because he is hungry but won't eat now. He never leaves any food on his plate but has been eating only half of the half can I give him. Am taking him to the vets Monday because of this recall as I think it is the food since it started about 3 or 4 days after giving him this food. The UPC numbers do not match but have a feeling it is still not good food. I have never had any problems with this cat and his eating until now. I am going to return the balance of the food even though these numbers are not on the recall list. I truly believe this is what is making him sick. I can't find my damned receipt from Meijers now. Don't care. I will throw away the 6 cans left. My cat is worth more than the money they cost. I still have the cans if you want them.

Updated on 01/10/2017: I actually called 9Lives and asked if they had expanded their recall. The woman said no and I told her about my cat throwing up after eating 9Lives and then he didn't want to eat again. He would try, then throw up and not go back to the food. This food was the chicken and also the Super Supper one. She asked me if I had taken him to a vet, which I was going to call them today until he acted better and kept the Friskies food down. I gave her the can number and she said that it wasn't in the list. I said, I know but maybe it should be? She said that she doubted it was the food and because I hadn't had a vet confirm that, it wasn't possible. I asked if it would be worth checking into to see if something was wrong and she pooh-poohed that.

I believe something is definitely wrong with the 12 pack of cans I bought. Every time I gave him 1/2 can it would come back up. This had never happened with 9Lives before. But to just being shut down as zero possibility sure isn't showing any kind of concern. Since I totally switched him back to Friskies, the vomiting has stopped but he is not totally back to himself yet. I was disappointed in the response I got from 9Lives - that nothing could be wrong just because I have a cat that was vomiting. She suggested that he ate something outdoors - wrong, he is totally an inside cat. She never asked my name, address or anything about me. I have saved the open can of food that I last gave him. Don't know if I can get it tested or not. Would like to put this on their site but can't find a Facebook site for them that lets messages be posted.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

My husband used to buy 9Lives dry cat food. Our cat would go crazy. She would nonstop meow when my husband would get home from work, climb on furniture, try and get into our food. We thought since it's so cold out that she didn't like being cooped up in the house. (She loves being outdoors.) And our cat would inhale her food. Last week I bought Purina dry cat food. And we have seen a positive change. Queenie doesn't meow nonstop, and staying out of mischief. She now eats her food slowly. Please do not buy 9Lives cat food!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

We normally do not buy 9Lives for our two cats after being suspicious that the food was making them sick and the company never replied to our numerous emails, so we avoided this brand at all cost. 4 days ago we bought a pack of 24 cans to save some money since Christmas was stretching our budget thin. Today is day 3 of feeding our cats from this pack of cans. Both cats started vomiting until they have lost all stomach contents then continued to dry heave for over an hour. Our 8 year old cat now can't walk a straight line, is lethargic, has diarrhea and is mewing pitifully. Our 7 year old cat is also lethargic, has diarrhea and panting. When I manage to get them to take some water, they immediately vomit again.

Since today is a Sunday and New Year's day, the only vet open is the more expensive emergency offices. Since we have blown our budget on Christmas, we have no money for even our non-emergency vet and no one has money to loan us thanks also to their Christmas spending. I am devastated and afraid for the lives of our cats! Buyer beware!!! This food will at the very least make your cats very sick!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

My furbabies are both 14 years old and usually have ate 9Lives dry food most of their lives. Started giving them 9Lives canned food and Oreo started throwing up then Fee Fee had a stroke!! First thought it might have something to do with moving instead of food (they're not used to going out or being in a different place). Then DG was out of dry food so I got them canned food again and that same week Fee Fee had her second stroke.:'( Never thought it was the canned food since they've ate 9Lives dry food most of their lives. Gave it to them Christmas Eve and my baby girl had ANOTHER stroke and went blind out of nowhere, and Oreo threw up all day. :'( Vet said it might be the food and sure enough. /3 Terrified after reading these comments that I might lose my furbabies. Don't feed your pets the canned food EVER!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

My cats are finicky eaters. 9Lives has a variety of flavors. The price is reasonable. These are the most important reasons for me in buying this product. I have four cats. I feed them wet and dry food.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

My cat loves the taste of the food. I'm only buying this food right now because it's the only food so far I found he's not getting an allergic reaction to. I'm just not happy with the ingredients because the first ingredient is corn. I do supplement a can of wet food with actual chunks of meat once a week.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

They died. I had 10 cats and four of them died within one week. I am so sad. Just writing this makes me wanna cry. My dog got to eat some of the food as well and she was hidden for one week underneath the car. She just would not come out. I forced her to drink milk so she could get better. Luckily, she is not running around happy but there is nothing I can do that can bring my cats back. It is not the first time that I get a bad bag of 9Lives Cat Food.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

When my wife bought a case of 40 9Lives canned food can to save money, we are cat lovers over 40 years, few days we noticed 4 cats vomiting and diarrhea. One of our cat loves to eat any chickens even McDonald chicken nuggets. That 9Lives can (chicken), she did not eat it. I wonder it was not real chicken? Also I notice they were not playful. Keep vomiting and diarrhea. We were done with that canned food and returned them and bought other different brands. Now they are back to old ways. I even emailed my messages to 9Lives company. I have not heard from them. The canned food should be recalled. What shame to keep selling them and getting sick! I wonder the canned cans were manufactured in China?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

My 16 year old cat doesn't like dry food any more so she has been getting cans, Friskies most of the time. I ran out and got two cans of 9Lives from my neighbor, who told me it was on sale (4 cans for a dollar), so I got a bunch yesterday. This is the 2nd day that she eats a can, and she is going crazy. She is meowing/screaming loud, pacing around, restless, begging for more food but then stops eating, maybe not really knowing what she wants - restless. Now I am scared, and all those cans are going back to the store tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Opened a new 3.15 pound bag of cat food that I bought last week and in the top of the bag was an off tan color, about 18 inch piece of a fabric like substance. How does something like that pass through the inspection line? It is definitely some piece of a machine, used to seal the bag or part of that process. Time to change the food our cats are fed.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

My cat was very healthy. He is 6 years old. I live in Seoul and normally we feed him with Fancy cat food. This band was sold out at the supermarket so we decided give a try to 9Lives Cat Food (can). My cat started have bumps over his lip and nose. We thought were allergy or something dirty that he touched. But not. Now looking feedbacks and comments from others customer I realize is the cat food. We take him to Vet and they give a strong medication for fungus. We applied and the bumps disappear. One week later he started again the same condition. He starting losing his hair near his lips and is black. I do not know how this cat food is in store. Please keep away from this brand. Is poisoned and terrible.

Original review: July 29, 2016

My experience is the worst. I had two cats that were 100% healthy eat this crap and became ill. My kitten died first, he was only 6 weeks old and a week exactly later my female cat age 12 yrs of age died as well. Each showing signs of lethargy and vomiting. I have never used 9Lives and never will. I'm disgusted and deeply depressed to have lost my babies. No money or apologies can make up for the mourning of my 4 year old with autism. She expresses herself by drawing pictures of them.

Original review: July 9, 2016

I had bought a bag of 9Lives daily essentials last month. I started to notice he was losing his hair and wasn't gaining weight and now his right eye is bothering him. It's running and he can't open it all the way. I looked at his cat food and the bottom was nothing but big clumps of food and is completely covered in hairy mold. What can I do. I stopped giving it to immediately and started something new. Cat food companies should not be able to do this!

Original review: May 28, 2016

Over the past week, I noticed that my cat who is about 8 years old has been throwing up or leaving runny stools in different parts of the house. He has also been lethargic and not his usual playful self. I had added 9 lives to his diet. This is the first time he's eaten 9Lives because he has been eating Fancy Feast (which can be pretty costly). But I bought the 9Lives because I thought I could save a few pennies. I didn't know why he was doing this -- I am still keeping him under watch. Whoever is reading this -- please do not buy this product. It will put your cat in ill health and possibly high vet bills if the cat doesn't get better. If my cat survives this storm, it will be Fancy Feast from now on!!!

Original review: May 6, 2016

My orange tabby had 1/8 of the can 9 Lives Canned Tuna/Chicken this morning and within the hour, did not feel well - not his usual self. Checked out this blog and found similar comments. You need to check this batch... Purchased at Fred Meyer in late April.

Original review: May 2, 2016

I recently adopted my kitty cat from a lady who fosters cats and adopted them out. She has always given them 9Lives. I gave him 9Lives when I first adopted him and he was fine. Now, he is getting VERY sick, throwing up EVERY TIME I give him his food. I stopped it and I have been just giving him meat and veggies and he is fine. He has been eating ALL day without any problems. I am glad I stopped feeding him the product when I did. The organic brands are pricey, but they are worth it and I guess I am going to have to start buying TRUSTED, organic brands and maybe I may have to just put my kitty on a paleo diet since none of these brands care about kitties producing a CHEAP POISON for money.

9Lives Cat Food Company Information

9Lives
www.9lives.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use