9Lives Cat Food
1.46/5

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

9Lives Cat Food

Lavonia, GA

Need help choosing a cat food brand?

279 9Lives Cat Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I recently bought 9Lives for my 2 year old female cat since it looked to be a better affordable buy. Day 1. After eating we noticed her throwing up. We didn’t link it to the food until my dog got into her cat food and he started throwing up too. Day 2. We continued to give her the food because we weren’t sure if it was really the food doing this to her or maybe it was something her and my dog got into the day before without us noticing since they are little menaces together, but again she was throwing up again after eating the food. I did a little research on 9Lives daily essentials and found that the reviews were all a little scary and changed her food immediately. She has been doing much better since.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My beautiful feline daughter loved 9lives at one point. I would get this brand at the dollar store to supplement her other food. Here and there I noticed globs of hairballs she would purge up but thought nothing of it. Then a month ago, she started retching. She coughed up 2 hairballs and then just started vomiting up foamy saliva. It did not stop and I had to take her to the ER. It was 4 visits all together in one week because the local vet did not want to help us so my poor baby had to go 4X to the damn ER! Her retching did not stop and she also had stopped eating. I was beyond hysterical. The Xrays and blood work was fine.

The sonogram showed she had a mild thickening of intestine and it could be anything. It was recommended we do a food trial. The problem still continued and I cried and cried feeling helpless. She would not even go into her room where her food was. She refused to eat! We gave her an appetite stimulant and gave her some milk that seemed to help. We also got a box full of Meow Mix and she ate that like she had not eaten in years! Now I am reading the reviews of 9lives and I am shocked and yet now I have some closure about the problem. I will NEVER purchase that poison again!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

My cat had never eaten 9Lives before. I actually bought it on a whim at Walmart. Wish I would of stuck with our normal brand! After eating 9Lives 20# blue bag for a week my cat died!!! He was only 5 years old. Shame on you 9Lives! People need to know that you’re killing pets. People love their pets like family. Check your product!!! I warn anyone and everyone DO NOT FEED YOUR CATS 9LIVES. They will die!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My cat loved this stuff... (9Lives pate). I just bought a new box of pate favorites and after eating he started vomiting all over the house. Thought he had an upset stomach, so I didn't link it to the food until the next day when again after eating he started vomiting but this time it came with horrible diarrhea, that my poor baby couldn't even make it to his litter box for... Never again will I feed him this crap. He seems to be feeling better today. He still has diarrhea but he's making it to the box and he's no longer vomiting. I am so happy it wasn't a worse ending and that he seems to be recovering. Please be very cautious of feeding your kitty this crap, something is very wrong with this food!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have one cat and one kitten. Neither would touch it. The next morning I tried again. Both smelled it and walked away. They would rather starve than eat it! They are not usually picky eaters. Don't buy this crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

While I was growing up, my mom always fed our cats Meow Mix. I even did my 9th grade science fair project on 3 different brands with Meow Mix being one of them. Now, as an adult, I have 4 cats, a set of sisters and a younger set of brothers, Tiffany, Tabby (1 year old) Titan & Thor (5 months old). I fed them Meow Mix always until we were in the middle of a job change and wasn't going to have a paycheck for 3-4 weeks. I went to the Family Dollar in Alexandria, IN and purchased a 20# bag of 9Lives dry food. It was on sale at a decent price and I was limited on money, so I figured that it would last them until payday. I usually can't afford a big bag of Meow Mix and I was worried we would run out of food before our next payday. So needless to say, I bought it.

Reluctantly, my furbabies started eating it. Within a week, they were throwing up. During that same week, Titan, one of my 5 month old male furbabies, started coughing then threw up his food and kept throwing up until it was just white, foamy stomach bile. Then, he stopped using using the litter box and instead choosing to go on carpet, couches, recliners and bedding. Then, out of nowhere, he had 3 violent seizures in 5 days.

The seizures got worse with each one, more violent and lasting longer and longer with the last one being almost 3 1/2 - 4 minutes. He would roll and tumble and his poor little, weak body would shake and curl up, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and his tongue hung out. He looked like he was dying and there was nothing we could do to help him. It was one of the scariest things I had ever seen and I cried and cried, fully expecting him to pass right in front of us and with my 4 & 6 year olds crying in the next room as they walked in right as it started to happen. Thankfully and luckily he pulled out of it and within 2 minutes, he was back to himself.

I started to do some research after the first seizure. Then today, I stumbled upon a blog post about a fellow cat mom whose cat started having seizures out of nowhere at 5 years old. Numerous vet and feline neurologist appointments later, the kitty was diagnosed with Idiopathic Seizures and placed on ** 2x a day. She went on to write about how her family changed their diet years later to a more all-natural diet and changed the cat's diet along with theirs. She stated that after changing her cat's diet, the seizure medicine was no longer needed as the cat stopped having them altogether. This got me thinking.

So, I searched "9Lives Reviews" and ended up here. As I read all the reviews, my eyes widened with horror and panic. Immediately, I jumped up and grabbed my cats' food bowls and dumped the food into the garbage. I washed them out with soap and water so there was no residue of that crap left in their bowls. I left right there and took the last $5 we have to our name and bought a bag of Meow Mix. I may not be able to get to work tomorrow, but at least my cats will no longer be poisoned by this terrible brand.

I just changed it back tonight, so time will tell. I can say this, however, that after eating the Meow Mix, all 4 of my precious furbabies are starting to act more like themselves again. 9Lives is more like Killing Lives. I firmly believe that if the 9Lives company will not take the lives of our pets seriously and will not act on the many complaints of their consumers, then action needs to be taken by everyone coming together.

Their food is killing our furbabies and they do not even care! I am spreading the word and going to be calling as many people as will listen, including my local news channel. Channel 8 will investigate into complaints and I am going to make sure that my voice is heard loud and clear. Our animals are like our young little ones, we are their voice. Everyone that has left a review or reading over them, eyes wide in horror like I just was, need to come together and make this company be responsible! I almost lost my furbaby over $7.99. NEVER AGAIN. This product is toxic.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

9Lives canned food - I have a senior cat, 15... she has always loved the cheaper brands best for some reason. I had been giving her Meow Mix and Fancy Feast for the last few years. I ran out of food and had to go to the corner store. I had given her 9Lives before without problems years ago. This time she ate it and within hours she had major diarrhea, just once, then she was walking in circles, peeing outside of her box and seemed to be in a daze all day. I gave her water but I had to hold the bowl up to her.

I don't know what 9Lives did differently but they seem to be poisoning cats left and right... she is starting to recover now and even started purring again today. Thank God. I love that cat since I saved her. Someone threw her out of a car window when she was days old, I had to dropper feed her and learn how to be a mother cat. Her eyes were not even open yet. I am a dog person and didn't care for cats. She changed my mind. Please NEVER feed your cats 9Lives again, they switched formula or something, probably moved to China.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My 2 old cats like 9Lives the best. Have tried other cat food but they will leave it sit in bowl until they both realize that is what is for the meal today.

Original review: June 24, 2018

The cat eats 9Lives Cat Food all the time. If he doesn't like food he won't eat so he must like it. I've tried other brands but he decided he didn't like it so I'd end up throwing it away. This is a good price and good variety. They offer chicken and that's the cat’s favorite.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My cats like all children loved this cat food even though it is not the healthiest diet for them. The grain and preservatives in this cat food turns out are not at all healthy for a cat. So this food is low grade and it is not worth the price you pay for it. Although they have a good mix of proteins, they are using meal mixes instead of whole meat proteins and they use way too much salt. So I have now changed my cat food and my cats are doing much better.

9Lives Cat Food Company Information