2. Pets

Save 30% on your first autoship

Shop your favorite brands on Chewy.com

Shop now

9Lives Cat Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives Cat Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 9Lives?

Original review: March 5, 2020

45 years I used 9 Lives Cat Food, not no more. They must have changed the formula. Even the dog turned his head away from the can. I called Heart Pet Foods & asked what was going on. THEY hung up on me. Pate is ** in a can. I had cats get sick. Now I know why. Recall your so-called 9 lives. They will lose the other 8 live if they eat heart pet food. The message is a clear. Recall your can pet food. The dry 16 lbs is fine. ROBERT **. MEATY PATE HEART CUTS TENDER MORSELS AND THE NEW PROTEIN PLUS I TRIED THEM ALL. A CAN OF PET FOOD SHOULD NOT STINK STANK STUNK GOODBYE.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have had 3 cats. I always fed them 9 Lives Daily Essentials. They would refuse anything else. In September I had to put my female cat to sleep after she got very sick from an unknown illness. She had horrible breath and would regurgitate after eating within minutes. Her weight diminished quickly and she gave up eating altogether.

A month or two later my male cat was showing similar symptoms and I was worried that something in my house such as my water was maybe the cause. I had extensive bloodwork done and tests done but everything was negative. I was given pills for nausea but they don't work for him. He goes back to the vet this week for another check up because he is still vomiting and losing weight. Tonight I watched my 4 year old healthy cat vomit immediately after eating the 9 lives daily essentials which I would have never thought would be the cause since I have been using it for the last 9 years. Something has happened and this food needs to be recalled. After reading the comments here, I am sure this is the cause of my cats death and the others getting sick.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Do not buy 9Lives for your cat. I bought the 9Lives protein plus dry food for my cat and soon after my cat started throwing up and he got very fatigue. Well he died today which is Christmas Eve because of the 9Lives food. This all happened within 36 hours. This food is poison!!! So heartbroken.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I was given some of this cat food by a friend, and I fed it to my cat for 3 days, he began to violently vomit and had severe diarrhea. After 3 days I stopped feeding my cat the food. He did not get better, he began to scream for food all the time, as if he was starving. For 3 weeks he continued to vomit a couple times a day and the diarrhea continued. It was so horrible, it literally smelled up the whole house when he went poo. He lost a ton of weight, and started to poo outside his box. Just an awful experience. I tried everything. I put him on a boiled chicken diet, gave him probioticcs, gave him chicken broth via a syringe to keep him hydrated.

Finally he was put on antibiotics, he seems to be after 3 days on antis getting better, he had his first solid poo in 3 weeks and his diarrhea is intermittent. This all started with 9 Lives cat food. I researched and there is a recall but there is something really wrong with this food besides what they claim in the recall. I mean very wrong. Do not feed this food to your animal. We almost ended his life. The experience was so horrible, we wanted to end his suffering. He's still not out of the woods yet, but we are seeing some improvement, time will tell. I will NEVER feed any animal this food. NEVER.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

My dad bought the 9 Lives dry food. My cat ate it and now we are at the vet because his colon is inflamed. We are looking at $1500 - $3000 worth of vet bills. He was fine before we started feeding him this, one day on it and now he is at the vet. DO NOT FEED THIS TO YOUR PETS!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

If you love your cat do not feed them any 9lives products. When I adopted a recuse 9lives was the first food I tried. She immediately started throwing up but I had been told the other cats were pushing her away at feeding time so I assumed it was because she learned if she could eat fast enough she'd at least get something. I bought her a slow feed bowl and she still continued to throw up. Changed the food and she stopped. I accidentally ran out of cat food and realized I had a sample bag figuring it would get me through the night. Lo and behold 5 mins after eating the 9 lives she started throwing up. Looking at all the other reviews I'm not sure how this brand hasn't been pulled from the shelves. Moral of the story is don't feed it to your cats.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

My cat ate 9Lives Homestyle Classics case the pate. Made her start throwing up and diarrhea! If you have this issue call 188 496-4837. The Hearty Cuts she didn't throw up or diarrhea! Bought it at BJ's! So call 9lives!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

This only got 1 star 'cause I had to pick something in order to post! I beg of you if you feed your pets this stop immediately! I have fed my cats 9Lives wet food for years. Recently my cats have gotten sick and then my dog ate it and also is sick. 2 of my 3 cats have died after eating it and my dog is looking like she may not make it even after hundreds of dollars of vet bills. This needs to be recalled before any other pets suffer!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My cat loves 9Lives canned pate. Recently she licks the juice and that's it. This has been going on for a month now and I kept smelling this awful smell around my pet feeding area and I thought maybe someone had an accident until I picked up the food bowl that had the pate canned food in it. I about gagged because it looked muddy and smelled like feces. I have written 9Lives and asked if their recipe has changed because it's wasted money. I wouldn't even feed it to strays. It smells that bad.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I rescued a cat about 3 months ago and she refused to eat hard food so I finally gave up trying to get her to eat it. I bought several cases of 9Lives...various flavors. On Monday night she ate half of a can then ate another half of a can the next day (two separate cans but same flavor). By that night at 11pm she was so sick. She was puking and had diarrhea so bad. By 5 am Wednesday she passed away. She was a very healthy cat before the 9Lives food. She had been to the vet and was in perfect health. I am devastated. My son is devastated. I hope something is done with this company. There are too many bad reviews for someone not to do something!

9Lives Cat Food Company Information