Spokeo

Spokeo Reviews

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information
Cons
  • Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Spokeo Reviews

Stars Rating

• 6%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 1%
  • 93%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

Reviewed April 29, 2022

I was trying to find a reverse email lookup of an old friend's email that no longer was active. I paid for a one-time lookup on Spokeo for that email. A month later, I see I've been charged $24 and setup on a monthly subscription! I never wanted a subscription! Just wanted that one-time lookup, which by the way proved unhelpful. Today I tried to cancel and get refunded for that subscription. Spokeo wouldn't refund. Very deceptive practice by this company. Must be lucrative for them to sucker people though. Beware if you use them.

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2022

This company provides a service, but they are also as SCAM. I had a phone number I wanted to look up so I paid the $0.95 fee to find this out. I got back a city only with no name. I considered canceling this 95 cent payment, but thought I'd rather not waste 5 minutes to get back 95 cents. Lo and behold, seven days later I get a $24.95 charge on my credit card. I call the company immediately and said "I didn't authorize this" and the rep said "OK, I can cancel your account as of today". My response was "I don't remember authorizing this and I want a full refund". The rep said "OK." Ten minutes later I get a $9.95 refund, so they are hoping I'll take the $15 hit and not bother with this. So, I called my credit card company and reported the charge as fraudulent. A minute of curiosity over a phone number will now take me more than an hour. Stay away from SPOKEO due to dishonest business practices and poor customer service.

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2022

In July 2021 I used Spokeo's "offer" for a single search for only $.95. I must have missed the fine print because I certainly was not aware that I was ordering their $24.95 per month service to be charged to my PayPal account in perpetuity. Unfortunately I had a problem with my PayPal password and failed to check my monthly statements until January. I then discovered the ongoing charges. I immediately contacted Spokeo customer service and was told I needed to have cancelled the service within 30 days of signing up. After much discussion the representative agreed to cancel the service and refund half of my money. So I filed a dispute with PayPal and they said I had signed up for the ongoing service and had to pay for it. Spokeo uses misleading and unethical marketing to get people to unknowingly sign up. They know a number of folks do not check their monthly statements very close. It is a theft by deceit scheme.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2021

I got a spam call and was looking up the number and the caller ID online. Several hits in a Google search seemed really bogus (like they were just clickbait). Turned out that the "so called" text on the sites doesn't actually appear: all there is on the sites is a link to Spokeo. I contacted Spokeo and some guy in the chat window couldn't understand why I was upset and WHY I wouldn't want to sign up for their (PAY) service. So I said "I want you to put your boss on AND maybe someone from your legal department...." And told the idiot (AND his supervisor) to ask their legal department for the legal definition of the phrase "bait and switch". Which IMHO, is clearly what is going on.

As a sop, the supervisor looked up the number in their database and gave me information that I could have gotten pretty much anywhere: that it was a landline that was issued by Verizon Business. (Of course the sites listed OTHER companies as the carrier, but I didn't bother to say that....) But of course the REAL issue is the bogus front sites.

Maybe the reason Spokeo wants you to sign up and give them your credit card number is to pay the fees for all the bogus sites. Of which I sent their Legal Department a couple of screenshots. One with the Google search results for the one site that (allegedly) had the number AND caller ID and the other being what is ACTUALLY found when you click on the link: an ad link for Spokeo at the top of the page; and a whole lot of whitespace beneath it.... We'll see how soon Spokeo's legal dept. gets back to me. And the email to them was sent from the address I use as a spam filter.... Oh, and just for the record I DON'T agree to YOUR website sending me "marketing communications" which is why YOU also were given the spam filter email....

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2021

Trying to locate old friend, all I wanted was a phone number. Signed up for .95 trial offer. Received 3 phone numbers, non valid. Told co. I was not satisfied, was waiting for co. to contact me so went 2 days beyond trial offer (7 days). They billed me for full month's subscription. "Information guaranteed" **. Do not use this company.

Customer ServiceOnline & AppTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2021

Wanted to look up a phone number for a person who texted me. I received no information beyond that a normal web lookup on the area code could provide. And their website tricked me into spending $24.95 for absolutely nothing. In addition it was a very complex process with many screens to cancel the subscription. Steer clear!

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2021

I wanted to look into a number that had called me. I used this company and paid for to look up the number. The results given was very vague and I can get the same information from my caller ID. Do not use them.

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2021

Most of the reviewers who have given one star are complaining about their deceptive billing practices. I never fell for that, so that's not my issue. A person can find a lot of information for free. BUT, Spokeo adds new information, but never deletes old information. I often see information for people who have been dead for years and the information shown shows what their age would be were they still alive! I just entered my late neighbor's name (she died 8 years ago at age 79) and the result shows where she "lives" and her age as 87.

Reviewed Sept. 9, 2021

Made me purchase a user report, then said NO MATCHES FOUND to the email address I was inquiring about. Tell me from the start you didn't find anything instead of pretending long enough to squeeze money out of me. Dishonest business practice.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2021

Auto subscription and auto pay, wasted money. Cheating Detail and No result for details. All people be aware this website. Be aware the auto subscription, your money will gone. Useless apps, if this app's very helpful. 1000$ I also willing to pay. But!!!! It won't. Don't install!!!! Don't Install!!!! Don't Install!!!!

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2021

I ordered a one time search for $.95. A month later I got charged $24.95 for a month! I saw no language that said this would happen on the site. BAD practice. Be aware of this and don't bother unless you want to have unplanned charges.

Reviewed Aug. 5, 2021

I ordered a one-time $0.95 search look-up of a cell phone. There was NO obvious language that they'd be auto billing me for a monthly fee. Very predatory practices. Plus, their search capabilities have declined in the past decade.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 17, 2021

I gave this company my debit card number to look up a phone number which was supposed to cost 95 cents. They, in turn, subscribed me to their service billing me $24.95 a month. I went online and cancelled but they continued to bill my card another $24.95. I had to call them to cancel the subscription. I had to call them to cancel again. If they bill me another $24.95 next month I'm going to have to get my bank involved to stop them from billing me every month. What a ripoff!

Reviewed July 14, 2021

I have been using Spokeo for 3 years and find it very useful in evaluating potential renters of my property. Information is not always accurate or update but the extensive amount of information allows me to get a good feel for potential tenants.

Reviewed June 26, 2021

I agreed to a one time $1.00 trial. Next thing I know Spokeo is taking $25.00 a month from my account. I never ever authorized that. Not to mention, I looked up my information they had on me, it was not even 10% accurate. SCAMMER"s BEWARE of Crookeo.

Reviewed March 3, 2021

I got a text from a strange email account and was trying to do a reverse email search. Spokeo said they had results but that I had to pay for them. After paying with my credit card I found that there were actually NO results! Very dishonest and misleading; such behavior should be illegal! They did refund my money but they cannot refund my wasted time.

Reviewed March 1, 2021

I used this website to find my family when, I was sold on the 95 cent charge. They stated that after a month I would be charged a fee after my trial expired... I used it a week ago. I literally only have 10 dollars left on my bank account. I do understand that this year has been detrimental to the economy, I'm feeling it in my stomach myself... But that doesn't justify taking money out of the account without asking first. I barely make a living. This joke of a company seems to do this to a lot of people. I had to buy a new phone and already owe money asking it from a friend. Never use this website, I'm surprised that with its reputation, it is still up. I would rate this zero stars or NEGATIVE FIVE STARS if I could.

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2020

I signed up for a Spokeo free trial which I cancelled after an additional two months, using their "Cancel any time" offer. They continued to bill me which I didn't catch right away. Two months later I did catch the billing. I called Spokeo and the nice lady said she would cancel it. I ate the two additional months - my mistake. It is now November and Spokeo has continued to Bill me - they cannot find out why. I have called and called. I have had my credit card block them. That, too, is not happening. I called Spokeo yesterday once again and they cannot find me in their billing list and do not see where I am being billed. I now have to complete a dispute set of papers from my credit card company for each month that Spokeo charges are being disputed! PLEASE DON'T GET INTO THE MESS I AM IN! Don't go with SPOKEO!

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2020

I took my phone number in and it said a different location and it said a different Carrier. It said AT&T. I have Verizon. I'm in Alabama. It said I'm in Camillus NY. Wouldn't want to pay for lies. It is a scam.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2020

Was advertised for free. Never got the info I was looking for. Then found out that they had charged $24 to my credit card and were going to do so every month. Tried to cancel, but for that they charge another $37. I decided to call the credit card company and they advised me that I'd better cancel my credit card and have it replaced, which I did.

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2020

It was difficult to find them to cancel--and they charged a $37.00 cancelation fee---completely outrageous. Their search didn't do what I wanted, it just led to more searches and more still, each time asking for more money. Stay far away! Money. Stay away.

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2020

STAY AWAY FROM THIS JOINT. I searched Google to get more info regarding a phone number out of Florida and Spokeo website popped up. I input the subject phone number in the search window of the spokeo website and after few seconds, a window opened up and indicated the following information is AVAILABLE related to the subject phone number – Name, Phone number, Address, email address and other related info, but in order to get the information, you had to pay. So I paid.

Only info this DUMB website provided was that the number is from Florida and it’s a landline that’s all, nothing ease, no name no address, or any other information provided. I got upset so I called their phone number which was on their website, 1-888-558-5428 and I spoke to Thomas. I explained the issue and demanded refunds, he said, No Refunds, best he can do is to cancel my subscription. THIS IS A RIPOFF JOINT that need to be looked into by Authorities.

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2020

Don't waste your time or money paying for the so called "data base" of information. First you have to agree to pay $0.95 to check the report you requested, which isn't that bad, but once you're in, they keep asking for more money, $4.95, $9.95, if you want to look at more detailed information. Then it jumps to $21.95...etc, etc. and just keeps going. None of the information is accurate. I had gotten a strange email from a company in California with an unknown name attached to my email and this made me curious as to how they got my email address, so I logged on to Spokeo thinking I could find out some information. Not at all! I think this is a scam! Again, don't waste your time or money.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2020

I used their service to look up 1 person. Paid the fee for the 1 time use, apparently they signed me up for a monthly $24.99 plan and only found it 10 months later that it was charging me every month...Somehow a 1.95 cent purchase turned into $249.... They never were given permission to auto draft and customer service doesn't care even though they can see there has never been a login past that 1 event. Use a different service because no telling if me turning it off will actually turn off the billing...

Staff

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2020

I was searching for family members, even though I did not find the information I wanted Spokeo staff were more than willing to help, even after I cancelled my subscription. I give them 5 stars for effort.

Staff

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2020

I rather liked this site. Most of the information I needed was available. Occasionally the information was incorrect or I could not find the person / business I was looking for. But, hey, who is perfect. I would like to see a pricing schedule for getting reports by the report of a set of reports. This would make this even more useful. I only need to search this type of information occasionally. So having to pay a monthly fee is not reasonable for me. Other than that this is a useful site and fairly easy to navigate. I'd use it again.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2020

I Needed to verify the name and address of a cell phone number. They advertised they could provide it. They gave me only the location of the phone number and the wireless company. Nothing about who owned the phone. Worthless!

Reviewed July 20, 2020

I had used this service once before in the past and since I had the El-cheap-o $5.95 weekend special, I looked myself up and all the information was 10 years old. They reverse phone number I looked up and the information they gave me for what I paid for was pretty much useless. Seems I have to upgrade to something in the $30 range. Today I decided to give it another chance. I try to login and was unsuccessful I called the 800# and Spokeo couldn’t find me or my account. Duh? I guess that’s what I get for calling a toll-free number. I’m surprised they didn’t direct me to a 1-900 number. I guess it all goes back to you get what you pay for. It’s not just Spokeo. All the reverse services first bait you with free look up. Then suddenly free isn’t free anymore. I’m not taking the bait anymore. Sorry Spokeo this fish ain't bitin’.

Installation & SetupSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 15, 2020

BANK DEBIT FOR APP WHICH HAS NO VALUE FOR SOUTH AFRICAN USER: I installed your App: Contact+ on the 07th of July 2020 as well as, WHO - PEOPLE & PHONE SEARCH, however after installing I noticed that the apps are not purposeful for the South African environment. I immediately uninstalled. The company then debited my account for both apps, (1) R144,99 for Contact+ on the 09th of July 2020 [GOOGLE*Contact Plus g.co/helppay#GBGB] and (2) Who-People & Phone Search R420.58 [SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH 800-6994264 CAUS] on the 13th of July 2020.

This cannot be right. How am I paying for a service which does not work in South Africa (false advertising) and which serves me no purpose because what it says it can do, it can only do in certain places. However the description of functionality does not warn the user about this. Simply, because one has a bank card attached to Google Play these amounts are blissfully taken from a public citizen's account.

I have reported the matter to Google Play as it taints their brand as well for listing a company who promotes an APP does has limited capability to a geography. I would like the funds refunded to my account please and no further debiting against my bank account. I note with concern that these are the bad complaints received against SPOKEO. Surely you should fix your processes so that incidents like this do not occur. It's a complete rip off for no value!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 8, 2020

During two recent with customer service, I was greatly help. Too complicated to explain: which speaks, in and of itself, to the terrific skills of the customer service staff to be able to resolve my issues. Thanks, again. I'm not providing any more information; since I don't have the time.---jc**

Customer ServiceStaffTransparency

Reviewed June 30, 2020

I appreciate this company working with me to provide an experience above my expectations for a dispute clarification that I felt needed to be resolved. They went well above and beyond my expectations to treat me more than fair and provide a win, win situation in which I would not hesitate to use their services again, or refer others to their business. It did take some communication, but they were willing to work with me, and that is what I have come to expect from a solid company.

Reviewed June 17, 2020

I needed to find out some contact information about a person. The steps were easy to follow and my contact with the office was very professional. It was easy to sign up and also easy to discontinue if I wanted to.

Reviewed June 10, 2020

Blocking unwanted calls. Spokeo serves the purpose that I subscribed to it for. I do not answer my phone if I do not recognize the number, so that sets me up to possibly miss important calls. With Spokeo, I can research the number after the call. Spokeo lets me know if the call is political, sales, robocall, or no name calls so that I feel safe in blocking those numbers from my phone.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 6, 2020

I thought Spokeo would be a good site, however, I am unable to get information on anyone I enter. They cannot locate the person or come up with totally invalid info, nothing seems to work or is incorrect. I even give correct birthdates or area info & even that doesn't help, I am at a loss, I thought they were a well established site but no matter what I do or enter it doesn't seem to matter. I did try communicating with customer service and they did respond right away & were very nice & tried to be helpful but their suggestion of clearing my cache did not work either. I am going to try to cancel as it is not worth the effort. I do feel bad about the whole experience & probably should have did some research into this site initially, but as I said I thought they've been around for so long that they indeed were very reputable & I wouldn't have a problem. Live & learn I guess, hopefully I am able to cancel without any trouble.

Reviewed May 8, 2020

I was charged 20 bucks for subscription that I sign up for as I only wanted one time fee of 0.92 and I unknowingly subscribed. My bank rejected their payment and I had to get a new card. And I was attempted to be charged by them for subscription on my new card that they didn't even have on file !!!! Be careful! Do not use them. I went to login and cancel the subscription I never approved of and saw the old card was on file so how were they able to get my new card info? Something is off about this company. Stay away. It is inconvenient to have to get a new card third time. I'm just really mad at this point. I will be aware everyone to make sure this doesn't happen to them.

Reviewed April 11, 2020

I looked up my father's name to confirm my memory of what year he died in and his name came up on Spokeo. According to this site, he was still alive. He was born in 1913 and died in 1998. The site listed him with a middle initial, which he didn't have, and listed people related to him... my brother, my dad's second wife (they were divorced) and my brother's wife and children. It did not list me or my daughter or my dad's first wife, my mother, who is deceased. Nor did it list my dad's two brothers. Incredible amount misinformation. I guess they don't do fact checking at all. I asked them to remove my dad's name and they agreed to, actually misspelling his name in their response. If you're looking for real information about someone, you'd have better luck looking in a tree trunk.

Sales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed March 30, 2020

My brother was diagnosed with lung cancer and I was desperately trying to reach his best friend from a while ago. Somehow I landed on Spokeo.com site and was told for $0.98 I could get the number. Then they hit me with another $24.95 in a week and wouldn't refund the money. I only looked for the one number. Just a scam. The number I received wasn't even any good.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingRefunds & PayoutsStaff

Reviewed Feb. 29, 2020

Stay away from Spokeo. I had recently used a potential e-mail address to find a long lost family member. Upon searching for this e-mail address, Spokeo shows that there are search results available; while prompting to select a payment option on the same page. I selected the 1 month billing plan for 13.95; As soon as the transaction went through, Spokeo then shows zero results available for the same e-mail I typed in earlier. This is extremely deceptive and the epitome of bait and switch tactics. I then called to cancel my service and request a full refund. The customer service representative told me that she can only refund me 5.85 and kept asking if there was anything else she can help me with.

It was apparent this CSR did not care so I took the refund and attempted to call again in order to press for the remaining amount. The next CSR was extremely helpful and got me the full refund. To summarize, do not purchase any services from Spokeo. Also, don't be afraid to keep trying different CSR if the first one doesn't seem to help or care that much. You've been warned!

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2020

I was searching a person and given a trial for $.85. When I went to cancel it a few minutes later they wanted $37.95 to cancel it. As soon as it is posted to my credit card I will put the charge in disputes. I also put a review on their website.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2020

I am starting to feel like many Americans that respond to these data base companies that when you see errors on your shared data that updating becomes an impossible mission. On my case they have about half the data wrong including my photo but as I check out the data which shows a LinkedIn connection for a different person my photo is there.

Refunds & Payouts

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2020

I was looking for my Brother's last known address since we have not seen each other in 25 years. I signed up for the 7 Day Trial Only. Spokeo automatically charged my Credit Card $24.95 on the 8th day and only refunded me $9.95. Deceptive Practices in not stating up-front that after 7 days, the monthly maintenance fee is $24.95. Everyone please be aware, especially my fellow Veterans and AARP Members.

Customer ServicePriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2020

I was looking for the phone number of a local person and made the mistake of going on Spokeo because we don't have paper phone books anymore; I didn't finish the transaction but they still took $24.95 out of my bank account and would only refund one-half of that. You can get the information cheaper elsewhere and if you go on their site you may end up paying for something you didn't even get or use.

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2019

Before I registered for my "free trial" (which by the way is not free - it's 0.95 which is not about the amount of money but the principle of misleading people) their site offered that they had "detailed address information" regarding a phone number I entered. If by detailed address information they mean a CITY then they fulfilled their duty: however, in my personal opinion that is not a detailed address it is rather a city: a very general area - not specific and certainly not a detailed address. Rubbish. Avoid at all costs.

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2019

Fell for the $.99 search of a phone number that I got no results for. I was reviewing my account a couple of weeks later only to find a charge of $24.95 that was renewing monthly. Opened a dispute with both Spokeo and my cc company. Waiting for refund but not too optimistic. They are very deceptive!!!! See pop-ups for everything else, why don't we see them to warn us on sites like this?

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2019

I purchased a $1.95 info and a week later I was charge for a monthly membership. I did not authorized this. If they think I did, it must be from their confusing webpage. When I received this charge, I tried to log on to the website. The site would not allow me to log on. I had to call them and argue to get my money refunded. It's a scam to steal from you. Don't do it.

Refunds & PayoutsTransparency

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2019

I signed up for a one-time search on Spokeo. I got notice they were going to bill me for a month after that, so I immediately went online to cancel. Got a confirmation that my account was canceled on 10/22, and I would not be billed again. I was billed the very next day, which showed up on my November 3rd statement. When I called Spokeo, they first said I had to pay that charge, but I would not be billed again. I said they told me I would not be billed again on 10/22, but I was billed again on 10/23. She argued, then said “Just a minute”. She came back and said my account was eligible for immediate cancellation so she would refund $9.98 of the $$24.95 they should not have billed me. She couldn’t explain anything further. In my book, they are crooked.

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2019

If you are looking to identify the owner of a phone number it most likely is not going to happen. When you type in the phone number initially, you will get a response that says you must pay for the information. You will either be asked to sign up for a temporary free membership and pay .95 cents for that which will become a 24 dollar membership automatically if you do not cancel.

Next option is a one time payment of 1.95 for the information but you still have to make an account with them to sign in. I did the one time payment for one number and when I hit the enter button, they had no information on that number. In fact the information from free sites was more plentiful that the information from SPOKEO. They in essence had me pay a 1.95 fee to tell me that they had no information on the owner of the number. This service is pretty much a scam. I would stay away. I feel like an idiot for using it and I probably am.

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2019

If I could they would get 0 stars. Spokeo.com charged my card 2 times each month. Do not give them your banking or card information. They charge whatever they want to your card. Please don't trust this company with your information.

Customer ServiceOnline & AppRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2019

I went to Spokeo to remove my information, due to personal safety concerns. The website is unclear—if you want to remove information about yourself, it makes it seem like you need to pay for a subscription. So I paid for a temporary subscription. Nowhere do they call out that they *auto renew* that subscription. So without any confirmation emails, a month later, $25 comes off my card. I reached out to their support to ask them to cancel and refund it, and they provided a $10 refund, keeping $15 as payment for no services rendered. I removed my information from competitor sites at the same time and Spokeo was by far the worst.

Contract & TermsRefunds & PayoutsStaffTransparency

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2019

I will preface this review that I ultimately got a refund, however I would like others who might use the service to be warned of Spokeo's deception as part of their business plan. I used Spokeo for the first time paying $0.95 for a single search. At face value it appears as any other micro transaction service, pay as you go. However, what was not made clear was the addition of services beyond the "just $0.95" declaration on their search pages. About 7 days later I received a new charge to my bank account of $24.95, which unlike the first did not come with an emailed receipt. This sort of practice is not uncommon, unfortunately, and I contacted Spokeo right away to request a refund for their deceptive charges.

What I find most concerning is that the representative was prompt in offering a refund, but insisted I agreed to their terms, which I believe most customers might do unknowingly. However, the refund offer was for $9.95 only, as the representative stated it was the best they could due. Upon further protest I received a full refund for the service I did not request. I would like everyone to know that these are the practices of Spokeo, and that if enough protest is made, should you be duped into this transaction, you can get a full refund. Unfortunately, I find this practice so distasteful that I will never use their product again, no will I promote it.

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2019

Today, I was reviewing my bank account. I saw a charge from this company Spokeo which I had never heard of but had seen a previous charge of $.95cents for early this month. I made the assumption it was probably the LLC of a gas station I went to. That wasn’t the case! Today I see a charge for $24.95. I google the company & see they are some type of background check company based in Cali. I have NEVER USED THIS COMPANY.

I called, Matthew was my CSR. I explained to him that these are fraudulent charges. He went on to ask me if the email associated with the account was mines & if I knew “TROY” the person who opened the account? NO! He asked me if I knew a “Natasha **” NO! This “TROY” used my card. How he got my info I don’t know, to look up this “Natasha **” person. Now, I demanded a refund and for them to take my card info out the system TODAY! I get a cancellation email but not one telling me of when my refund is due! And now am reading these reviews and I am appalled and frightened for my finances! Smdfh they better give me back my $24.95 in 3-5 business days or else I am filing fraud charges!

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2019

I used this site once to look into a phone number. Never wanted a subscription but I got one anyway and they charged me and caused an overdraft. Do not use this site if you are looking for a one time use.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2019

They gave me 2 accounts without my knowledge and did not let me cancel/opt out. I paid up to 35 times 29 usd a day. They are not refunding me. I had to finally block both cards. What is my best approach? I thought I had paid a few cents. Now 2000 usd. What shall I do? Calling them does not help.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2019

Very hard to navigate after giving my credit card info for 98 cent intro to find my ex who owes over $40,000 in back child support. Every "find" they have asks for more money to "open". Had no more info than I already knew like his mother's name or that I used to be married to him - duh! Took me half an hour to unsubscribe though. Now after reading other reviews I fear I may still get charged more fees! Don't do it! It is a total scam!!!!

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPrice

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2019

I used SPOKEO SEARCH only once to help me find a scammer. They offered for find it out a number for .95. I did one then no more. That's all. No contract, no email notice. Then they steal my money from my PayPal acc every month for 19.95. Been 2 years. Finally I found it out last month, then I called for cancel it, but still charge me this month. What a robber.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2019

I used Spokeo several months ago to look up a phone number from a Robo call and signed up for a one-month subscription. Since then, I've been charged $29.95 for the service and have not obtained any more information than I would had I just Googled phone numbers. Today, I tried to find the option to cancel my subscription on the Spokeo website and could not find that option. I ended up calling the Spokeo customer service line, only to encounter a rep who was clearly under orders to prevent cancellations. Despite her evasive tactics, I was able to cancel and my request for refund of one month's fee was honored.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingTransparency

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2019

I believed that I was ordering the one month subscription, get when I ended up with a three month subscription because it automatically charged me for that and not the one month that it was advertising. I tried writing them and they won't do anything about it, they said I can use their services up til Dec. Which does me no good because nothing was up to date. (I even looked up people who I know are dead, yet Spokeo had no idea). I don't recommend and hell if you want me to search someone for you send me an email. Maybe someone else can find some actual information.

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2019

I signed up for spokeo because I assumed they had information about the email I searched for. Despite the landing page that seemingly found tons of hits on the query, I was duped into paying for a service that led to NO RESULTS FOUND. Waste of money. Would not recommend buying.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2019

I never used their services. Today I got a charge from them for 19.95 SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH. I went to my bank to find out more details and I was told that my card was physically swiped at a machine and pin number was entered for this transaction. An online transaction would show up differently in the bank system. If someone stole my credit card number and used it online it would look like an online purchase, and that's not how it shows up. My card was not lost and still with me by the way. How is this possible? Are they using this business to cover up money laundering?

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2019

Before agreeing to any kind of search, beware that if they find nothing you do not get a refund. I have since discovered other search sites that will not charge any fee if there is not results. I recommend you do not use Spokeo.com. There are better alternatives. Thankfully, I did not fall for the "free" trial. I will keep a keen vigil on my credit card statement. Only out $1.95, so no big deal.

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2019

In April of 2017, I signed up for a free trial on Spokeo.com and on the next day I canceled that trial only to find out 15 months later they had been charging me all along on a monthly basis. I called to get a refund and they only refunded 12 months worth of charges. I called back to demand the entire refund and was told they only refund a years worth. Don't ever believe trial period cancellations are legitimate. Always check your next bank statement to ensure you are not billed. Spokeo steals your money and they refuse to return it all. STAY AWAY FROM SPOKEO!!!

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2019

The product itself was somewhat useful but I only signed up for a 7-day free trial and they automatically signed me up for a subscription, which I was not notified about. I was charged $25 and called to get a refund... Because they had no record of my cancelation (of a subscription which I never signed up for in the first place!), they could not refund me my $25. This is incredibly deceptive and I lost $25 to get one phone number.

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2019

The results they provide are horrible, want you to pay for more than you should have gotten with your initial subscription. Total joke. Their customer service is horrible and they refuse to refund your money even though they offer a mediocre product. Complete Scam.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingOnline & App

Reviewed Aug. 8, 2019

Spokeo is a waste of money! For the initial trial period, 9 out of 10 phone numbers you look up will give significant information. The same happens during the initial period after paying for a subscription. However, as soon as the subscription is renewed for the next month or quarterly period, the ratio drops to 1 out of 10 phone numbers looked up providing significant information & you are barraged with efforts to upgrade to the next level, at a much higher subscription rate. The Reverse Lookup app on my phone has a much better ratio of providing information free of charge! Spokeo is nothing but a bait & switch scam!

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2019

My husband was looking for an old friend and he was charged $0.98 which is okay. A few days later we got charged with $25. They would never authorize to charge us this $25. When I look at the reviews, all the reviews of negative. My question is, why are this company, Spokeo, still in businesses. If I didn't check it, my account I would have never known they were taking money from my account.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed July 24, 2019

I went onto Spokeo to find out details about an unknown number that had texted me a few weeks back. Google searches told me the number was in Oregon. Spokeo tried to get me to sign up for a 'free' membership by offering to charge $0.95 to give me the name of the person who had called. I paid them their full price $1.95 and the result they gave me was...the landline number is from Oregon!!! Big surprise...no name, no address, just a location on a map. Don't waste your time and money with these people.

Reviewed July 19, 2019

I had wanted to check some things and saw Spokeo had great ratings. It’s untrue. I signed up and paid $22.86 and it said “Whoops, something happened”. I tried it several times with same result. I called to request a refund as I got NOTHING for payment. Supposedly they will do so; though I’m skeptical. I asked the CSR (who read her script kindly) how often this happened to which she said they were trying to figure it out. Keep your money. Not a good look to be able to receive money, assign user ID, & can’t do anything else!

Sales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed July 9, 2019

This site couldn't even find my birth mother that is still alive who currently lives in the same house as me. She works and gets mail in her name there! We even have the same last name. I did not see where they were going to auto charge and they do not care that I am unsatisfied with the product. They got the money and I feel like they gave me the middle finger! The product is not as advertised and I feel that I should be refunded immediately! I gave it 1 star because it would not allow me to give it 0 stars! 7/9/2019