Spokeo

Spokeo Reviews

About Spokeo

Spokeo is a people search engine. The website uses public data, such as white page listings, public records and social networks, to create profiles for people. Profiles can include contact information, location history, wealth data, social media, family and other personal data. When looking for someone, you can find them by name, phone number, email address and even social media usernames. While basic searches are free, you need a subscription for in-depth information.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Easy-to-use website
  • Some features are free
  • Find public information
Cons
  • Must pay for thorough searches
  • Extra rate for court fees

Spokeo Reviews

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 3%
  • 92%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spokeoo?
    Price

Reviewed April 16, 2024

Spokeo sent me an e mail saying get a report for free. They contacted me then wanted credit card # and wanted to charge me 95 cents. Free is free. Not 95 cents. It is fraud and lies. I would not piss on Spokeo if they were on fire. Will contact Federal Trade Commission. They should not advertise something that is not true. Looking at other reviews Spokeo should be banned from commiting these fraudulent acts.

Sales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed April 7, 2024

Total scam. Before receiving payment they claim to have all kind of information of the owner email you’re searching. After receive payment it says no information available. It was only 95 cents but I’m going to get my money back. Hate scammers.

Sales & MarketingRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed April 6, 2024

Spokeo is SCAM!! Stay away!! On the 29th of April 2024 I have purchased a one time phone number search for $0.95. Then they went on on charged me with $29.95 for a monthly fee I have never asked for. They refuse to refund. Stay away from this company.

Profile pic of the author.
    Price

Reviewed March 16, 2024

I don't recall using Spokeo; whatever it was has cost me an unbelievable amount. The recurrent excessive charge was extracted from PayPal despite neither receiving nor needing a service they apparently provide. Fool me once, shame on you!

PriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2024

At first the site says that they are free, then it wants to charge you .95 so I did that and then it will ask you your experience so far and I thought that it was going pretty good so I gave them a happy face, then it will ask you for 27.95 for a monthly subscription. Then I SAYS THAT IN ORDER TO GAIN ACCESS YOU HAVE TO PAY THE $27.95 OR MORE! THEN THAT'S IT. THEY WON'T LET YOU GAIN ANY INFORMATION. So I clicked on get help. IT'S A BOT!!! Then it gives you a option to speak to a AGENT. It asks you a series of questions and then it will say there are no live agents at this time expect to hear from someone in 24 hrs. This company sucks!!!!

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2024

This site is a rip off. I used a ONE TIME trial to do one reverse phone search for .95. A few days later they charged my debit card 29.95 for a monthly fee claiming the trial automatically converted to a subscription. I called to cancel they which performed right away. However, they never refunded the 29.95. I called to complain. They refunded me all of 11.98. So that's 17.97 for one reverse phone search.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

My son received a strange call, so went on Spokeo to look up the number. The site said he just needs to pay $1 for the search, and he provided his debit card. This was in January 2023. He never clicked "subscribe," nor was he offered or accepted a "membership." He never received any emails from Spokeo, from that first inquiry. Instead, he has been receiving bills for $24.95 monthly since then, which he had completely missed until we went through his charges today. This has been on his debit card, he hasn't been able to dispute charges. This is very scam-like behavior, and we would like to understand our rights to get a refund.

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

Odd set up, but doable. Most important: the info received is mediocre at best. I began with my own info. Very little was correct. Same with family each run separately. I'll never use it again! Wasted $.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2023

I have used Instant Checkmate and Been Verified in the past and wanted to try Spokeo on a 1 week trial basis for $1. I liked the aforementioned services but the information was not always dependable so I wanted to check out Spokeo. I did a people search, but to my amazement, the court records search was not a part of the basic plan which is $29/month on a month to month contract. It cost another $29/month to get the court records. I honestly thought this was a mistake and contacted the company. Nope, no mistake. But they don't tell you up front that this is not part of the basic package. I can find phone numbers and email addresses for free, the criminal history is the most important thing to me. I have two words for these people, but cussing would absolutely bring me down to their level.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I used Spokeo to track a random phone number with the same area code as me out of curiosity. I was given exactly what was offered but they signed me up for a 30$ subscription that I did not in any way give permission for. Thankfully they failed to take the 30$ from my account so I was safe but after looking at the reviews here for it many were not as lucky. If you used PayPal to make the payment as I did immediately go to the "Payments" section then "Automatic Payments" and cancel it. Once you do this they will not be able to take 30$ from you even if they try. Summary - Spokeo is not a scam and offers what they say they offer but use disgusting, predatory methods of taking significantly more money than they say they will take.

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2023

My mother passed away and I used Spokeo to look up one phone number of an old friend to let her know of the services. I paid ten dollars, got a disconnected phone number and this morning was billed $29,95 for a subscription. When I called them they would not issue a refund but said they would cancel the subscription.

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2023

Looked up person for $0.95. A week later, was billed $29.95 for an automatic subscription I did not want. Have corresponded with them, PayPal, and Trustpilot. Hours of run around emails, and they have not yet refunded my CC even though I cancelled their service immediately through PayPal and through the Spokeo website. Misleading and predatory. Do not recommend them.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed July 19, 2023

They share a bunch of private information, much of it is incorrect. They do not provide an avenue to correct information and their 'opt-out' process is deceptive and time consuming. Typically the opt-out process doesn't even work, so you end up having to get help from their customer service with mixed results. At best, you get a page removed after wasting hours in back and forth (e.g. try the opt-out form again, you probably did it wrong, try again, blah blah blah); at worse they claim they solved the issue but the page is still there and they make up ** about caching (which is false, I've tried from fresh VMs). Or refuse because it doesn't match your info--didn't bother them when they collected the false info, but when it comes to removing it, suddenly they maliciously care about specifics.

Keep in mind they will only delete one page at a time, and they have multiple pages on most people, and new pages appear all the time so it's like playing whack a mole, only with hours wasted with every whack. This company's business model is unethical and probably illegal in many states and countries. It should be illegal everywhere.

Reviewed May 26, 2023

Signed up for a one time fee to find out information about an entity on the internet. Not even sure that information was accurate. Was positive I paid for a one time fee. Notified a week later about a $29.95 charge to my account from Spokeo. After research, found out this was a common practice from Spokeo and in many situations, even though customers had changed their credit cards, Spokeo had managed to find and charge their new credit card to continue a subscription fee the customer thought they had cancelled.

Reviewed March 1, 2023

Unless one has an hour to waste while Spokeo tracks down unnecessary information, not requested but forced upon the Consumer, time wasted while site portends searching for useful but useless information, unless one has unlimited funds and can burn money chasing shadows of nonexistent companies, it's a total waste of time. Typical users are required to provide personal data which ends up in a system of Data Collection then resold to other data collectors, while charging the unsuspecting customer monthly fees for unregulated services which provide undesirable results.

I cannot believe the FCC and other Protective agencies allow this company to exist. I've yet to find one website that will perform a Reverse Number Look-Up which is truly "Free", not falsely implying that it costs nothing to search numbers of suspected Scam callers. Even RoboCaller is a fee based service pretending to be free. Spokeo and Been Verified are linked providing the same service under different names. NOTE: I've learned to check for the word "Sponsored" during all Searches. Sponsered is shown in some amount of opacity listed directly above your required Service in upper left corner. "Sponsored" means that the Service will not be free.

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2023

I was doing background checks and everyone including myself had no recent information. And about 75% of what I found was totally wrong. My parents had moved once in 40 years and Spokeo information said they moved 4 times and cities they were never have lived in.

Customer ServicePriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2023

Have a number repeatedly calling at all hours with no message being left? Try looking it up. Don’t use Spokeo if you are looking for anything more than “yes this is a phone number”. They will charge you .95 to get “basic” but not the business name info. Because you pay more for that - but somewhere in there they sneak in a full membership even though you said said no, and paid for a single transaction. No they won’t refund you. Because it must be how they make the money. Awful.

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2023

I used this service having a decent amount of certainty on the person's phone number but wanted to check. The report was lacking at best. I am pretty sure I cancelled my subscription, but was charged $24.95. I promptly call them back to ask for a refund but was told only $9 could be refunded. What business only gives minimal refunds to prospective customers based off a trial service. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this service to anyone. Hopefully they change their business practices.

Reviewed Feb. 6, 2023

I've been looking for more info on someone online a while ago, and I only had their email address. Spokeo seemed to have been one of the main places to reverse-search email addresses, so I gave it a try. However, off the bat I was pretty suspicious, as it demanded I sign up for a free trial and pay for the report, so I held it off until I decided I needed to obtain more info at all costs.

I signed up for the trial and paid 95 cents, and lo and behold, the email I searched for had no results, even though they said they had a "comprehensive report" of all the person's information. So effectively, I wasted thirty minutes of my time and a dollar to get no results at all. I wouldn't be so mad if it just told me before I made the purchase that there were no results, but clearly this is how they steal money from some of us. I'm glad that aside from this one occasion I have no need to use services like these, because I am NEVER going back to Spokeo again.

Refunds & Payouts

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2023

Spokeo offered a .95 one time search, I paid with Paypal, but Spokeo made two unauthorized 24.95 charges to my credit card. I did not sign up for this or use their service after the original .95 cent search. I cancelled the automatic payments through Paypal and called Spokeo, but they would not refund the unauthorized charges.

Verified purchase
    Michael increased rating by 4 stars.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with Spokeo, Michael increased their star rating on Jan. 5, 2023.

Updated review: Jan. 5, 2023

Spokeo reached out with an email letting me know they would refund the full three months of subscription costs. More importantly, they kept their word and did it! The CC card showed a credit in just a few days. I have to give them the kudos for good customer service/relations they deserve.

Original Review: Dec. 29, 2022

I purchased a $.95 trial membership to check on a single phone number. Three months later I discovered I've been charged 3X at $24.95 each month for a subscription I did not sign up for. There was no confirmation email or notification that I had been charged each month. In looking back at the original email from them, I now see the auto-subscription notice on page 4! I have contacted them for a refund and IF they correct the billing, I'll be back to update this review. So far, my experience should be a warning to others to stay away.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2022

The service we used in November 2021 worked well; however, we were subscribed to their monthly subscription without permission and we did not notice until we had been charged well over $300. They immediately refunded $29 when we called them out, but only after they had charged us for 12 months of service we never used.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2022

A few months ago I wanted to know the address of someone and went to Spokeo; they look it up for free and are out front about your subscribing to a service and you can look up so many people and so on and that it will cost such and such and that you have to cancel your subscription if you do not want your credit card to be charged and they do not forget to charge it monthly if you do not cancel - whether you use it or not.

So the point is that if you don't use it you will be charged 25 dollars per month for the privilege of being able to if you want to. That is what I did for a few months. When I did finally get to a gal Spokeo today to cancel the subscription she was very nice about it and did it and sent a confirming email while I was on the line so it only cost me 75 dollars for that address and the privilege of looking for more if I had thought of it.

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2022

It puts people on here without their permission. I am a private person but to be put on a random website, that's too far. THEY PUT MY PRIVATE STUFF ON HERE, LIKE EMAIL AND FAMILY MEMBERS! That's not right to put people on here without being told they could do so.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2022

Go Fornicate yourself Spokeo! I purchased a $.95 background check on an email, that literally turned up nothing and then was charged $24.95 for a subscription I did not sign up for. Not only that but I did not receive any kind of confirmation email or notification that I would be charged in advance of the $24.95. VERY DECEPTIVE AND SHADY. Will post on every review site possible that you people of disgusting thieves and swindlers.

PriceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2022

Used their service to obtain information about one person on a one-time basis at $.95, but then they started a monthly membership at a cost of $24.95, charged to my credit card. When I called to protest this action, they would only offer a refund of less than $10. Don't use this company -- once they have your credit card information, they will apparently charge you however they want to and they are not friendly about adjusting the unwarranted charges.

Reviewed July 27, 2022

I took advantage of their $0.95 trial offer to check a phone number that I was concerned was involved with Medicare fraud. Apparently hidden somewhere on one

of their web pages was a notification that I was also being signed up for a continuing subscription service. I didn't find this out until I got my credit card bill and was charged $24.95 instead of the expected $0.95 (this was for the original lookup plus the first month with 7 days "free"). Very deceptive and a completely useless service for anyone that needs to look up a single telephone number.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 12, 2022

Spokeo like other reverse lookup companies, does what it says it does. Great. But how about the intentions of this company? Well I can promise you they aren't good. How do I know this? By using both spokeo and BeenVerified, I can share my experience to prove it. First, and most important, is how these companies look out for their consumers. Spokeo, has a trial, you get no email about the purchase, and no followup emails when charged full price. Beenverified, is the polar opposite.

The second you make a trial purchase, you are emailed, and told how to stop the trial from extending into the full service. This is good for 2 reasons. 1, a paper trail, 2, a second reminder to the customer "hey, did you miss that impossibly hard to see small print about us charging you a whole bunch if you forget to cancel? Well here is an email telling you again so you can't say we didn't properly warn you.". That's how beenverified goes about things. Professionally, with integrity. This is not how spokeo does business. You just get charged, and they are more than happy to keep milking you, as that's the reason this company was created. To use the trial model, but maliciously. Sue these people, someone. We need better verification from irresponsible companies like this.

Reviewed April 30, 2022

Perhaps I should be reviewing ConsumerAffairs. Who pays their expenses. ANYWAY, try as I might, I couldn't find a one-time charge option for reverse number lookup, despite the statement by Consumer Affairs that a one-time lookup was available for $1.95. The last thing I need is another subscription for a service that I use less often than once a year. Thanks for nothing, Spokeo and Consumer Affairs.

Reviewed April 29, 2022

I was trying to find a reverse email lookup of an old friend's email that no longer was active. I paid for a one-time lookup on Spokeo for that email. A month later, I see I've been charged $24 and setup on a monthly subscription! I never wanted a subscription! Just wanted that one-time lookup, which by the way proved unhelpful. Today I tried to cancel and get refunded for that subscription. Spokeo wouldn't refund. Very deceptive practice by this company. Must be lucrative for them to sucker people though. Beware if you use them.

Spokeo Company Information