2.95/5
Based on 1,462 ratings submitted in the last year

2618 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Feel PayPal is good for online purchases because individual websites do not have specific credit card or bank information. Transfer time back to bank for me is about 5 days. There is a mini learning curve, but I have used PayPal for about 15 years.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have had PayPal for 10+ years and never encountered a problem with. I feel secure placing online orders through them. Now I have a PayPal debit card that I can use to place orders from retailers who don't accept PayPal money transfers.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

During Black Friday I purchased 4 orders from Finish Line, come Cyber Monday all of the orders were canceled and "refunded". I contact them and I get told to wait, so I did. After 48 hours I email them again, I get told to again wait. So I do, after another few days I'm frustrated and get told to wait again. Finally they say that on their end the money has already went through and I should have it. They told me to call PayPal, I was transferred to a specialist (Arin, or Aaron) who actually wanted to help me, but he said that Finish Line had to authorize the refund and PayPal literally couldn't do anything till they do. I said that it's been over a week since they "refunded" me, I ask if I can get into a 3-way call with Finish Line and he agrees.

Arin completely explained what was going on to the Finish Line rep and told her that PayPal couldn't release the funds to me since Finish Line hadn't given them the funds to begin with. The Finish Line rep then escalates the case and says to wait 24 hours. At this point I'm fuming mad because I've already waited so long, but thanks to Arin I've made huge progress than I would've on my own. I thank Arin for staying on the line with me to discuss with Finish Line. Just a minute ago I got my full refund. So thank you Arin, the best customer service I've had in a long time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Hi. I just wanted to write a review and to say a Big Thank you to the customer service and people who helped me to resolve my issue with Siren Ltd company and manage to get me the refund from them. After the company treated me so badly and they didn't provide service I paid for and they refused to pay me a refund. PayPal stepped out and managed to get the refund back from them. Thank you so much for your support. Without you I wouldn't be able to get any hold of my money back.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We use our PayPal every week to transfer funds to our family member for a combined bill pay. It is accurate, quick, safe and easy. They get the alert immediately. No fee, when transfer from bank account. Have done this for years now and never had any problems. Works great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: May 19, 2019

PayPal would not allow me to transfer my money to my bank account. It would not state why? It just kept saying system failure. When I called customer service they had no answers as to why and just told me keep trying. I call back again and was told no problems in their end so keep trying. Finally I get a supervisor and she says security flagged my transfer of my money to my own personal bank account. She said I can maybe get my money in 24 hours but could be 21 days. If I didn't hold for hours to get a supervisor I still would have no idea why. The customer service reps have no idea as to why. This is the worst company and holds people's incomes hostage for no reason. I have seen hundreds of customer complaints.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Bought from a Chinese company through PayPal. The item was not as advertised. Followed PayPal instructions exactly for return of item for refund. PayPal made the process extremely difficult. After 4 or 5 phone calls to them, they denied the $34 claim stating that they did not receive enough information re the item tracking back to China. I had assured them that once they received the postal receipt, they would refund in full. Didn't happen. I have closed my PayPal acct as they were worthless in helping me in any way.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Worst customer service experience from this company. Rude and passive aggressive agents. Additionally I had my account hacked into which is scary. I have since closed my account and want nothing to do with this company.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Purchased concert tickets from an individual using PayPal. I sent payment and received notification from seller that they had received the funds. I was told to wait a couple minutes while they sent the Tickets electronically. When I had enough time waiting I asked for my tickets and was immediately blocked and my wife was as well. Person vacated her ad for tickets on the concert site as well. Contacted PayPal immediately and was run around from one claim person to another. Then they denied my claim for it being filed under a “wrong” subcategory despite the agent telling me exactly what to do. Contacted PayPal again today and have gotten nowhere. Basically now it’s up to my bank to help me out. I’ll never use PayPal again.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My husband accidentally sent money to my dad account that he can’t get into. PayPal lied to him saying that if he confirmed they would send it back. Not even 2 minutes later they changed their story and wouldn’t do it. Wouldn’t help us in anyway! Now me and 2 kids are fixing to be homeless 'cause they won’t refund the money!

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs