2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Paypal is great, it's easy to use and I like that it's available on so many merchant's website check out. I always use that option when it's available, and it has saved me money. I ordered something I'd seen online and never received it; tried contacting the merchant twice and received no response either time. I put a claim in on the Paypal website and after they tried contacting the business I received a full refund on the purchase. I like that I can have multiple account payment options and choose if I want to use a debit or credit card for my purchase within the Paypal system with a keystroke. I also like being able to go back to my Paypal account and print receipts for items if I've misplaced the original receipts.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

They need to know more information on the sellers from other countries. I recently purchased an item from a website unknowing that it was coming from China. Within a few days the seller will acknowledge your purchase and send a tracking number. No word from the seller. I Contacted PayPal within a day. They had a tracking number. When my package was delivered it was a 3"x5" envelope with a two dollar phone case. I had ordered a game system. The seller was just trying to show an item was delivered so paypal would release my payment. Buyers need to know where their products are originating from. After almost a month I was given a full refund from PayPal.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PayPal was there when I needed them, I tried with my friends & Family, & I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with no problems, I even send money to my grandson when he got married, & I was able to buy a washer yesterday with Paypal's help, Thank you, Paypal, so far I started my paypal about a year ago, and I pay under their no interest within 12 months, & I haven't had to pay any interest yet. I always make sure, I keep record of my payments, and pay before the interest is due. I'm very happy. They actually do that for you. They are a little expensive, but they are there when you need them!

Original review: July 20, 2020

I payed for an online purchase 55.28 for a Journey doll that should have been 17" silicone real life doll with clothing...I got a 5" rubber doll with so many flaws the body is covered with them, no hair and a piece of cloth as clothing that is pure white and doesn't fit...I paid using credit card but this seller was linked with Paypal...Immediately upon sending a message to Paypal they assured me they will look into a resolution. I immediately linked my credit card with Paypal and any online order that is done in the future will be done through Paypal only. I have 100% trust in this company. I am over 60 years of age so have always been skeptical of doing things through some other source...no longer.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I liked PayPal because they would email me on charges. But I got a bad charge that they should have taken care of in Nov/Dec. Here we are in late Jan and now they are denying my claim. If you have the same problem please email dan.schulman@paypal.com. He's the president of Paypal. Maybe after a million emails he may figure out his customer service SUCKS!!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

As a first time user of PayPal I can sum up my experience by saying there’s a first and last for everything. I have never had so much trouble trying to get my own money from a site that’s supposed to be known for being an easy and secure site to send and receive money. Trying to transfer my money has been a tremendous nightmare, first it took them a week a verify my bank account that was already linked to my PayPal. Then once they did I tried to transfer my money and they sent me a notification stating my transaction was on a 72 hour hold pending verification. Fast forward to past the 72 hour hold and PayPal still hasn’t released my money and now it’s going to be another three days. So I give PayPal a 0/10. Do not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I will never do business with Paypal ever again! Use Venmo or any other payment services you can! I didn't mean to submit a payment to another company. I didn't think that I did submit it. When I saw the money taken out of my account, I contacted them right away. Someone told me that I would get the money refunded into my account in 24-48 hours. When I called to check on the status of the refund, I was told that there was no record of the request. I kept getting put on hold for long periods of time. Horrible company!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I've had a PayPal account for years, but only recently reactivated it to use for purchases online. Within 48hrs of reactivating I had a fraudulent charge of almost $300. I immediately contacted their customer service to dispute the transaction. I was notified the following day the transaction was verified as valid and processed.

I spent weeks trying to contact all the parties involved, and trying to work through their automated system to an actual person. Finally reached a person and was told I needed to respond to the customer service email because only the back office could help me. I was able to get the money refunded through my bank, but am still trying to close my PayPal account weeks later. PayPal put a limited use on my account because my bank filed a dispute. PayPal won't close my account until I resolve the dispute, but can only resolve the dispute by reverifying my bank account, which is now closed. Needless to say, the absolute worst customer service department I have ever come in contact with.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

If you knew nothing else about Paypal, the fact alone they, a company that deals in world wide transactions, doesn't have 24hr customer support would be enough to be weary of them. The fact that when you call after hours to report a fraud, a recording tells you, that mundane things such as (among others) unauthorized transactions (even once like in my case of a couple of thousand dollars) are matters that can wait until the next work day during business hours. I don't imagine what then they consider an emergency worthy of a company whose business is currency transactions, if the theft of thousands of dollars to them is just Tuesday.

This is what happened to me: Someone hacked into my email, changed my paypal password, and made a $2,491.76 USD payment, in a Country I have never been to, to an establishment I have never visited. A sum I might add, is seriously larger than any payment I would normally do on Paypal (I am not rich, this to me is a lot of money). After being unable to, on Friday afternoon report this to a human (for aforementioned reasons) I used their online reporting tool. The first thing it said to me? It had "analyzed" my account, and had seen no recent changes in my account (password change apparently doesn't count), nor signs of unauthorized activity... This of course is risible. I somehow, gritting my teeth, write my claim.

I checked with my bank and the money hadn't been withdrawn. I called my bank's fraud division, reported the issue, and I was assured the money wouldn't be withdrawn. Well, even though I reported both to my bank and Paypal of Friday, when this occurred. Today (Tuesday) Paypal still saw it fit, and managed somehow (in spite of all steps taken) to withdraw the money from my account. They have still not contacted me regarding my fraud claim at all, and their customer support is absolutely MIA. To put it simply, they fall short of thiefs only due to language technicalities.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team