2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: July 20, 2020

I payed for an online purchase 55.28 for a Journey doll that should have been 17" silicone real life doll with clothing...I got a 5" rubber doll with so many flaws the body is covered with them, no hair and a piece of cloth as clothing that is pure white and doesn't fit...I paid using credit card but this seller was linked with Paypal...Immediately upon sending a message to Paypal they assured me they will look into a resolution. I immediately linked my credit card with Paypal and any online order that is done in the future will be done through Paypal only. I have 100% trust in this company. I am over 60 years of age so have always been skeptical of doing things through some other source...no longer.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I filed a case ** in August and submitted documents proving I did not receive what I purchased. Builondip Company offered a partial payment which I refused. Paypal is suppose to protect their customers from dishonest Companies. Builondip Company should not be a Paypal vendor with the numerous complaints they have received. I have used Paypal over many years because I felt my purchases would be secure. I no longer feel secure knowing that dishonest Companies are under the Paypal umbrella.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

PayPal try to fix you multiples issues, the customer services is suck. Very suck, now if a customer try to contact that is impossible by any way phone messenger, email etc..All now it just a robotic voice that does resolve nothing, now even the website does not accept to fill a dispute for item purchase thru paypal,, definitely, I will close my paypal account and no more business with eBay or paypal. Services going worse,, need change of managers and directors in order to paypal get back with excellent business like before,

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We purchased an office chair from a PayPal merchant. They charged our account but never shipped the chair. After six weeks we tried to get our money back. The merchant refused. Paypal opened a dispute. The merchant emailed us directly repeatedly, telling us to receive a refund we would have to close the dispute. Paypal told us to turn it over to our bank, that was the only resolution available to us. The bank immediately refunded a portion of the total to us. The difference had been sitting in our Paypal account at the time of the transaction. Paypal refuses to refund that amount because they say when we contacted the bank we closed our dispute and they can no longer help us. They told us to involve the bank and never mentioned that the remaining amount would be lost. We asked for a claims/dispute supervisor who was arrogant in telling us the money was now lost to us.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We are done with Paypal and will reverse the charges via Visa. To pay to ship a junk product back to China is wrong. The Paypal resolution website is clumsy, unintuitive, leaves no way to communicate back to a human and takes months. A very frustrating experience to be avoided.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I filed a complaints on PayPal Resolution Center with no real help because PayPal Resolution Center is just an automatic platform, no real human work, not understanding a real human customers' needs. I purchased an inflatable pool online via a company called iBoyce who represented themselves a US company with an address in Chicago. After waited for more than 1 month to receive the merchandise which was shipped from China, I decided to return it because I no longer needed it. The seller asked me to ship the merchandise to China and the cost was quoted by DHL and UPS for $440, twice the cost of the merchandise. I filed a complaint with PayPal and PayPal did the same via their auto resolution platform, PayPal told me that the seller would refund the money if I send the merchandise to an address in China.

Well, hey PayPal, "did you look at the long email chain that I had on your website with the seller?? I said very clear that I would not ship the item back to China for $440. Make sense? If you read it, you would have seen that your company allowed a scammer from China to fool customers like me who trust you PayPal. Here is my advise to you and it is simple, go online and do some readings into this iBoyce company and see what you can find and then ask yourself why and how you allowed this type of business operating on your account? Anyway, I will dispute this with Amex and after that, I will close my PayPal account forever... because I cannot trust you!"

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team