2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.31/5
Based on 2,100 ratings submitted in the last year

PayPal Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have seen some people rant and rave that certain information was needed to resolve their case. It's typically proof of delivery and things like that. I don't blame PayPal for requiring I prove an item never arrived when tracking says otherwise. As someone who runs a company and deals with the same situation, I'd say it's fair practice. Once I contacted UPS and received their delivery information and presented it to PayPal, boom! I got my refund. Keep in mind, tracking is NOT proof, request GPS location of scan, label information (could be address wrong), etc. If they made it too easy, it would be taken advantage of and buyer protection would likely no longer exist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: March 29, 2020

After several years of good service, they just fell apart. Resolution center would not protect me when I did not receive my order for 2 months. Vendor identity from China which I was not aware of, was not transparent. Paypal tells me if I receive item after 2 months to refuse to accept, I did as instructed. They still refused to refund my money of $46 because then the vendor shipped. I never got the item. After 2 1/2 months of fighting with vendor, the VENDOR claimed they refunded my money to paypal. Paypal did not give me the refund, nor were they polite about it. I see them as THIEVES. I closed the account, you can never reopen so if your money is sitting there, they will keep it. Hopeful an alternative will happen for Ebay.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I am selecting 1 star because I am not able to select 0. I have been a PayPal user since 2011. But never had I has such terrible experiences with not only their service but also with their customer service. With everything going on with COVID19 they have shut down their call centers, you are only able to send messages and there is never someone live that you can talk to. They get on to respond when they feel like it, of course it is when you're no longer logged on, you don't get a notification, they don't assist you or respond to what you requested/asked and just say they will wait for you to log back on. And when you do, lo and behold, no one is available.

More than a month ago they changed all of my billing agreements to charge to my checking account instead of my credit card account. I found out at the end of Feb, but the website would not allow me to change the agreements myself. So I had to send a message. I probably had to request the same change to my billing agreements at least 5 times until someone actually did it, or at least told me they changed it on March 1st. Then in the last week and a half, there was a $120.55 charge that I had cancelled with the company directly, but the following week not only did Paypal charge me for it, but they also took it out of my checking account.

During this crisis when everything is struggling to make ends meet, they took $120 out of my bank account. But it doesn't stop there. While I am getting no assistance from their customer service there are also 4-5 $2 charges to my checking account that I never authorized that I had to contact them about. And then there is a Disney+ subscription charge to my checking account. So once again here I am trying to deal with customer service and getting no help. One girl in the last week said all of my billing agreements except Grubhub is set to my credit card.

Today I am told that Disney+ was only changed in the last 72 hours and that's why is charged my checking account, once again I requested this to be changed on March 1st and this charge went through on March 23rd. After the 5th time of request a manager to contact me, I get a call from a man that says that all of my accounts are changed to my credit card except iTunes. So they all still haven't been changed. He has nothing to say to me except to offer to change that. The website won't even allow me to remove my checking account or payment methods, so I am going to have to send a message to customer service and argue with them to get them to lift a finger to assist me. I will never use Paypal again. It says a lot that they choose the COVID19 crisis to start taking everyone's money without permission and they have zero customer service to assist you, oh and they don't care about any of it.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I made a couple of purchases through eBay. Items were under $5.00 a piece. I ended up not liking the items due to the smell of chemicals so I contacted both sellers to let them know I would be making my return of Burt's bees lip gloss product. I took the time to print out the return slips and dropped them off at my local Annex while I was out and about. To my surprise I had two charges appear on my PayPal account, each over $3.00. Roughly the same amount of what I had initially paid for each product. So not only am I out on the goods due to poor quality but I'm out the money with nothing to show for it. I would have to say that this is partially my own fault. The Sellers, neither one offered a free return policy on their item. Only free shipping but in the future, I will make certain to note that free returns are accepted.

And in addition to this, I will use a secured credit card to make any future payments instead of going through the PayPal process just to make certain that there is no issue in receiving a refund on any and all returns as other Buyers have noted. I've reached out to PayPal regarding these two transactions and will wait to see what they have to say. I'm not expected a positive result. I'm sure somewhere between all their policy disclaimers they have themselves covered. On a positive side note. In regards to sending and receiving money, I would have to say that PayPal has been a positive vehicle for me to use so I will continue to utilize this service.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I bought a poster on EBay from France. It arrived damaged. I returned the poster but the seller said he never received it. I had my customs return receipt from the post office. I filed a dispute with PayPal. I sent them my receipts and then they said they would give me my money back but kept delaying. I called them 6 times and spent hours on the phone. Finally the post office in France mailed the poster back to me because the seller refused to take it back. I called PP again and they are now refusing to reimburse me. I even emailed the corporate manager and haven’t heard from him either.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I have been trying to get my money out by wat of a check which is possible for a 1.50 fee. I sent 45 messages and all I get is BS from some stupid ** machines. You cannot talk to a person. They are great for collecting their fees from you but just try to get your money. They are the worst of the worst.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team