2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

PayPal Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Paypal makes it easy to dispute charges. I had an iTunes recurring subscription which iTunes refused to refund even though I canceled the same day it renewed and I never continued using the app. I disputed with Paypal (super easy to do online), they investigated, kept me updated and less than a month later ruled in my favor. Very happy with all experiences I've had with Paypal especially this one.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: July 3, 2020

I've been a long-time user of Paypal and was basically satisfied up until recently. I'd now rate them a minus ninety if it were an option. On three recent PayPal purchases, UPS confirmed the raging scam that PayPal readily supports and encourages FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY by looking the other way and ignoring the huge seller merchandise mailing scam. According to UPS, all three tracking numbers provided by the fraudulent sellers to Paypal regarding my purchases where previously used UPS tracking numbers by a different vendor and sent to a different name and address than mine on a different date. PayPal knows about this scam and does absolutely nothing about it!!!! The fraudulent sellers are not required to provide any proof on the actual UPS tracking number to PayPal; they just fill in totally false information.

Fraudulent PayPal believes the information provided by fraudulent sellers and not the customers or UPS. They do nothing to investigate...Just hit the deny button. Absolutely no customer service available. These criminals know that PayPal has no system for verifying tracking numbers and that UPS or USPS typically will not give out the address where the package actually went due to privacy issues. However, UPS will confirm that the package(s) did not go to your name and address and that the package was mailed on a different date by a different vendor in contrast to the PayPal records.

The credit card companies believe Paypal's fraudulent system in which the criminal enters in the fake shipping information. Paypal provides the fake tracking numbers to the credit card companies investigating the claim. Then the credit card companies deny the claim with fake information provided by Paypal. The absolute perfect vehicle for fraudulent sellers is 100% PAYPAL. Don't purchase anything via Paypal unless you really want to be scammed and lose your money!!

Original review: July 3, 2020

I purchased a product from a Fitbit site that was redirected to a fake site belonging to Jerebishop from CHINA requesting to pay my 98.95$ with PayPal. I did not have at the time an account with PayPal but I heard it was ok and I thought of giving them a try. Paid as a guest. I purchased my item on 05/20/20. Got email confirmation from PayPal with seller's email address and tracking nr. My item was in China‘s post office for a month. Finally I get email from USPS telling me my package arrived to one of their facility. Great. My package got deliver in Orland Park and I live in Elgin so I contacted USPS and they told me to contact my seller because that tracking nr belongs to the customer in Orland Park.

I contact PayPal, sent them all the emails, all the proof I had and requested seller to pay me back. 3 days later PayPal cancels my request because they can’t find proof of transaction???? I took a screenshot of my statement circled the transaction which it says PayPal ( jerebishop....) 98.95$. Again sent the emails from PayPal with the confirmation they sent me and the USPS emails how they were looking into my claim for the tracking nr and what they found. Not enough. They Don’t Care. It’s my first time using PayPal and last. Ripping people off. That’s not nice.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Do not use PayPal! If for any reason you should need a refund and you use a Debit card they will keep your money for up to 30 days. I sent my son money and his account was closed so he sent me a refund which immediately showed up on my Paypal account. So I sent him another $200 dollars which was immediately taken out of my account while PayPal continued to hold back the refund of the original money I sent my son.

It took me 2 hours of trying to contact a human being (of which there appear to be none) and finally got an automated response telling me they will hold the refund for as long as probably legally possible 30 days. You multiply this by the thousands of people per day who have some type of issue that they need a refund..and you can see how GREEDY PayPal is making back on the backs of Americans who are in crisis and trying to support their families. See if they can keep that refund money on their ledger as long as possible. They can earn interest and get rich while we suffer.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I posted a complaint, in the PayPal resolution center concerning a purchase I had made from an online store called Bitbaut. I ordered 2 lawnmower batteries for $60.00. After 2 months of waiting, I received (1) face mask from China. I filed a complaint to the resolution center, and the seller agreed to a partial refund of $50.00. For many days, I clicked that I would accept this refund. Every time I clicked it, it took me to a PayPal screen that said that the action didn't work, and "There must be a problem on our end".

I searched PayPal for help, and everything took me back to my original complaint. Where I would click the accept button, and get another failure, over and over. After numerous attempts at accepting the offer, I clicked that I did not accept the offer, and BOOM, it went through. Then, I had to wait for PayPal to communicate with the seller again.

Today, 2 July 2020, I received another update which wants me to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Below is what I was instructed to do:

(Note the date discrepancy) "We'll need some additional information about your case. You’ll have to provide the following on or before June 24, 2020 at 12:24:36 AM PDT. Report filed with a law enforcement agency or government organization. Examples of such agencies are - Internet Crime Complaint Center, state agencies, state police or a federal law enforcement agency such as the FBI or Postal Inspection Service." FBI or state police! I just want my money back.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I used PayPal to make a purchase online from a company in China back in late January, 2020, just as COVID-19 closed down businesses in China. I had ordered 5 jackets from the company. After several weeks, I received one. Several weeks after that, another came. The other 3 never arrived. I submitted a complaint to PayPal. Today (7/2/2020) they informed me they are ruling against me because I didn’t provide adequate proof of my claim. How does one prove something wasn’t received? I thought PayPal provided consumer protection against fraud. That certainly wasn’t the case here! I’m out $122.60! Do not trust PayPal! They will not protect you!!

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team