1.06/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

PayPal

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

1638 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have sold digital products on eBay using PayPal. 6 buyers sent the money and send me messages to confirm where to send the digital product. Few days go by and all 6 buyers report to PayPal that someone used their account to buy the product. After calling PayPal I was told those account have been hacked so the rightful owner are requesting their money back. I listed my product as NON-REFUNDABLE as with any digital product, once it is sent, you cannot un-send it. PayPal closed all the claims against me. So as of right now, I have lost more than 1000+ worth of product, and now PayPal has put my account in negative balance (and threatening to send collections).

Basically I have lost my product, and I must give PayPal the funds of my sales because they are letting hackers freely take advantage of honest sellers. Paypal/eBay is running a large scale scam and I will be suing as soon as the last cases close (and I'm pretty sure they will be closed against me, PayPal will not admit their faulty security and put the blame on the sellers). PayPal is a scam today. eBay is dangerous as they have had their databases leaked. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have been using PayPal as part of my eBay business and personal usage. I haven't had any problems (except the high fees charged for monies from sales that they have nothing to do with but collect monies) with them till now. My bank had a computer failure and sent out that all accounts were frozen during the time they did repairs. So I had four transactions that needed to go thru the bank and they were returned. Now PayPal has shut down my account. I call six times and spoke with CSR and SUP and never was able to get a straight answer about how to fix this as it wasn't my fault and all they kept stating it was. Like I cause the computer at my bank to melt down. Really!!! So after spending ten hours on the phone for a week I have come to the conclusion that I can't wait for eBay to allow other companies to accept payments and for what I have hear that will be soon. So PayPal will be out of business within a few months... YEA!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2017
    I have never used PayPal. I'm a late adopter because I've worked with PCs in my day job since the 1990's and the last thing I need is tech nightmares at home.

I'd like to make a little extra money and I see opportunities to make a few $$ here and there being paid with PayPal, so I thought I'd open an account. Their site doesn't have any real information, only marketing. It says I have to link a credit or debit card to my account. What??? I don't want to do that! This is just one of a few questions I have about how an account would work. I also gather they charge for moving it into my bank account, which I didn't expect.

So it's 9 pm on a Friday and I call their customer service number. The robot is the stupidest, most infuriating ever! It keeps asking for my account number. I. DON'T. HAVE. ONE. I'm a potential new customer, moron! It doesn't understand that concept. I keep saying "representative". It doesn't understand. I say "customer service". It almost understands. Then it says "you want an agent" YES! Then it keeps asking me stupid non-applicable questions! Aaarrrggghhh!!! I keep saying "agent" until it FINALLY transfers me. Then it says all agents are busy and will call me back in an hour. In an hour I probably will have changed my mind. Between the bad reviews and the idiotic robot, not to mention that this simple info isn't on their site, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

PayPal is such a fraud! I tried to pay something using my PayPal account and it prompted me to apply for a credit card. I did not select to apply for the CC nor had any interest. It asked me to update my information so I did and later I received an email that I apparently applied for a CC. I spoke to them and they told me to send a letter. They respond to my letter that they are unable to remove the inquiry. I called them and the respond I got was that unless it's a fraudulent activity they will not remove an inquiry, even when it's a total fraud on their end, tricking people into applying for CC. I've been a PayPal user for over 10 years and now they not only lost me as a customer but my entire family and friends.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I mailed in my August payment twelve days prior to the due date. Paypal said it was never received. I made an online payment and per their agent's advice stopped payment on the original check mailed. The agent read me back detailed notes advising check was lost in mail, stop payment placed, return to customer and do not deposit. Then they received the check and deposited it anyway. It did not clear since I stopped payment so they charged me a 27.00 fee. They refuse to refund me the fee stating it is not their policy to do so. Again in September they are claiming not to have received a check, again mailed well in advance of the due date. Since all other bills paid same time frame had no issues, the problem clearly lies on Paypal's end. In spite of speaking to representative and supervisor the fee cannot be refunded. Definitely time to complain in other forums.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

What a NIGHTMARE! I signed up with PayPal to process credit card payments for my business. They sent me a swipe reader that attaches to my iPhone. I sell cars so credit cards aren't used often. I processed a transaction for 2,786.00 and PayPal put all but 500.00 on hold for 30 days because I didn't use a chip reader (They had not told me I had to have one for immediate payment) - I was told that I needed to verify my business so I sent them phone bills, and all of the government documentation showing I am a registered business in order to get verified. I did this under the assumption that they would then release the money. NO - All of that information was sent to them and they still kept the money for 30 days after sending me an email saying I was verified.

After the 30 days were up, they released the money into my PayPal business account. I then transferred a good portion of it to my bank account and was told that it would take 1 business day to transfer. LIE! PayPal gets your money and then basically holds it hostage!!! Nobody there can tell me why it's taking a week to move from them to my Wells Fargo (verified account).

This has been a nightmare transaction and I warn any small business owner - do not use PayPal business for any financial transactions! They keep all funds for approx 40 days and tell you it's for security reasons or because you are a new client and they need to see your business patterns. There is nobody there who will help you if you need your money!!! My experience with PAYPAL has been a truly unbelievable nightmare where the terms "small print" and "security issue" are used as excuses to keep your money as long as possible with nowhere to turn for help!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

If I could give them a -0 star rating I would!!! Worse people to deal with!!! They will steal your money whichever way they can!!! I got scammed from a company in India and filed a claim with PayPal. I did all that they asked me to show the product I received was complete garbage. I even returned the product as per their instruction. After waiting 3 whole months and them telling me they will help me whichever way they can ended up stealing USD $840 from me. The scammer walks free with my money and after being with PayPal for 15 plus years, guess who gets the rotten end of the stick!!! Yah me!!! Awful scamming company themselves, it's no wonder they sided with another scammer. Two peas in a pod!!!

Consider very carefully doing business through this joke of a company. You are much better off to go through your bank, Visa, Mastercard etc because they are always willing to help and do what they can to help you. Not this dumb company PayPal who steals your money and sides with other scammers!!! This is so tough and awful to swallow what I have lost! Stay the heck from these people!!!:(

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've had nothing but the runaround while dealing with PayPal for small businesses. When I have called (which I've had to do numerous times since my PayPal account had identity theft committed through my PayPal business debit card), I've spoken to some of the most dismissive, derisive, disrespectful folks imaginable. I've been punished for making more than a certain amount of money, for using the same cards (I'm sorry, do businesses usually not have return customers??), for working with clients around the world rather than all in person clients and I've had services sold to me that were then denied to me after I paid for them.

I've been told I have to take all credit cards via Swipe despite the fact that my clients are located in various places throughout the world and I've been told through word and deed time and again that my business isn't valued. I'm sick of it and I won't stand for it anymore. I'm out. PayPal has cost me hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees withdrawing from the wrong account continually... They're just awful. I've spent dozens of hours on the phone with these folks that I won't get back. I've found another company. I would never recommend PayPal to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I raised a dispute to a seller who promised me refund but never gave it to and said time over for refund but in reality he never gave any timeframe for refund and just told me "if it don't work out then just send it back and we refund you." When I contacted him for refund he told it was for 7 days only. How can that be right to decide after I file for claim for refund? Also product I bought was just pure BS and crap only and was for no use. I felt scammed and cheated and file dispute and now PayPal decide not get me refund. I fell like PayPal is a scammer company and helping scammers to make most out of it. They even didn't asked any proof from me.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have been using your service for almost 10 years and have NEVER disputed anything. I did not authorize a payment and tried to dispute it. They did a "review" and denied my claim but did not give me any reason. Very unethical. I am so disappointed but I guess they feel that $74 is more important than having myself as a customer. I am cancelling my account and will be telling all of my friends and family of this disservice. This is very POOR customer service and I will be filing a formal complaint. I am truly astonished. Please review all the complaints before signing up. I wish I had.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I contacted PayPal regarding sending an emergency money transfer to a relative in Italy who needed medical attention immediately. I was told that if I paid the higher fee of almost $44.00 and had the money debited from my debit card, the money would be received in a matter of minutes. I was told that the money could be accessed immediately. The supervisor I spoke to, her name was Jean, was somewhat rude and outright LIED to me!! They debited my account immediately, the money was sent, but my relative CANNOT access the money immediately and must wait up to 3 days!!! They need medical attention immediately, and are at risk for their health!

I have been a customer of PayPal since 2001, and never dreamed they were scam artists. However, that is exactly what they are!! Their customer service is nonexistent and they lie to people telling them things that are not even true!! After the money is finally received, I will no longer do business with PayPal and will become their worst nightmare letting everyone know what a scam they are! This company should be the cause of a class action lawsuit as I have read many stories here of experiences as bad as mine. How can they be allowed to continue to rip people off? I am totally appalled at the fact that they are able to stay in business doing the things they are allowed to do.

I was assured by 7 different employees that there were NO limits on the amount of money that could be sent. However, when I went to print the "barcode" to take to a local store, it clearly stated that there was a $500.00 limit per DAY on the amount of transfer. How is it that 7 employees did NOT know this? I was then told that the limit could be removed, placed on hold for over half an hour and no one ever came back on the line!! Any other place conducting business like this would be fined or closed down. But, because they're so huge and part of eBay, they continue to be able to scam the public at will. This is distressful for those of us on fixed incomes who try to help our relatives in emergencies.

I was literally ripped off by having to pay a higher fee promised to have the money get to the destination and be available on a given day, only to find that it's in their PayPal account to PURCHASE merchandise, but NOT to be used for the purpose it was sent! If this isn't looked into then I have lost complete faith in any justice out there!

I feel I should be refunded the money I spent to have the transfer made for "immediate access of funds." Lies like that should NOT be overlooked. The money was debited immediately from my account and my relative is now in danger!! Shame on this low life company and their con artist way of doing "business." They will regret doing this to me!! I will definitely let everyone I know what a horrible company Paypal is to do business with. They are in the same class as advance day loans and loan sharks!! I can't seem to get the receipt to download on the page, but I do have a receipt available and could send it by email if it would help!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

DON'T EVER USE PAYPAL! SCAMMERS!!! I just used PayPal for the first time last week. I linked PayPal to my Apple iTunes account as the payment method. On the PayPal website under credit increases, you make your purchase and if PayPal approves your purchase even if it's over your credit limit that is how they give you an increase. But you won't know until time of purchase. So on Friday of this past week I tried to make a payment to PayPal. I linked my banking account info to PayPal to make the payment. I paid $25.00. Today I noticed I had a charge on my bank account from PayPal and it wasn't just for the $25.00. Instead it was for around $200 more. It was the same amount as the purchases I made this weekend on iTunes.

I called PayPal and asked they why they are withdrawing money from my checking account to pay the charges I made without my authorization. They said because I linked my bank account I gave them authorization to do that if I don't have the money to cover purchases on my PayPal account. This is the first time I used PayPal and never knew this. I would have never linked my banking info if I had known. They gave me the runaround and tried to blame it on iTunes, but I spoke with them and they don't have my personal banking info on file, only my PayPal account info. Now my account is going to be debited for $200 I didn't plan on or authorize. I thought I got a credit limit increase when the charge went through. This is unacceptable! DON'T EVER USE PAYPAL, USE A REGULAR CREDIT CARD!!! Once they have your info they can do whatever they want and believe me they will!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

PayPal ripped me off. I sold a stereo $150. They charged me $4.65 plus charge me again to move the money into my bank account and I had to call in because they wanted to hold my money for 21 days. After getting that straightened out had to wait a whole another day to get money transferred into my account. Prices are outrageous and takes too long to get my money. I'm going to stick with money in hand.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We have just started to use PayPal for processing some business credit card transactions, via Intuit QuickBooks Online Paypal Portal, however have had serious issues with the service. So serious that it could potentially affect our own reputation and image of our own company, potentially resulting in loss of client. Issues: 1. Day 1, Our client wanted to pay for the Invoice using a credit card, since we connected our intuit account to PAYPAL for credit card payments, that would be PAYPAL QUICK BOOKS ONLINE PORTAL via the PAY NOW button on the Invoice.

Our client’s payment was rejected, and PAYPAL asked the customer to contact them directly, despite the automated message telling them to contact us. We contacted PAYPAL and they refused to let us know why the payment didn't go through and instructed the only way to move forward was for the client to call them directly. We did everything they asked, troubled our client to call PayPal, which they did, and everything was good - Mind you it took us 4 months to get the money released from PAYPAL for this business transaction. 2nd payment attempt from the same customer who had already been identified by PAYPAL during the first payment of $6000 - Everything smoothly.

3rd Payment: REJECTED AGAIN, and even though the client and the card was identical to PAYMENT 1 & 2, they blocked the client, and then asked the client to call them again... At this point there was no way I was going to expose my client to this unprofessionalism and malfunctioning system, and let PayPal tarnish our own company image, so we processed the payment via another payment portal. We spent two hours talking to PayPal letting them know - it does not make sense for our customer to call the merchant who is providing us the payment gateway service, as the seller it was our job to find out what happened and relay that to the customer. And also, if PayPal needed the client to call them they should indicate that at the time of processing the card. PAYPAL portal asked the client to call us back to resolve, and when we did, they refused to provide further information.

If it was the Credit card issuer who blocked the transaction then the customer would definitely need to call them, but in this case it wasn't. The bank let it go through, and the credit card payment facility provider PAYPAL who we pay fees to, and whom have fully identified us as the supplier, asked our client who they have no working relationship with to call them to discuss the transaction with us. This to us, and to most of whom I spoke to agree that it is not logical. How would PayPal identify the customer without the client having an account with them? And will Paypal be asking for our client personal details? And would our client be comfortable giving it out to a third party that is not us? What if PAYPAL treat out client in a manner which they dislike and reputation of our business is tarnished?

There are so many things which could happen, and with a high possibility since they managed to really upset myself through absolute stupidity and lack of sense. If you are a business my suggestion is do not use PAYPAL. Intuit - You really need to rethink your working relationship with PAYPAL, a company who BLOCKS companies for 66% of payments from a single important already pre-qualified customer. Result was - Delay in receiving payment for stock already sent. Client seeing the delays and issues of the gateway and obviously forming their negative opinion on the matter. And of course our company looks unprofessional when we can't even process a payment, and 2 times in a row. Extremely disappointed, and have gone with SQUARE, and our standard BANK Terminals as a result.

PAYPAL - being such as big virtual payment gateway provider, you should do better and improve your system and security screening process. I suggest you create a WHITELIST and don't block repeat clients with a legitimate credit card to use. Especially that from a well established company. This was very bad business practice for you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I'm not surprised to see so many one star reviews. Every other company I have ever dealt with has responded to me within 48 hours. It's been over that and I haven't heard a word from them. Which really doesn't make me happy since they are dealing with my money. I have always had problems with them (being charged twice from my bank account, that the bank very kindly cleared up for me instead) and for some reason I thought it would be okay to do business with them again. That was obviously a stupid decision. This company is far too shady to trust with any amount of money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been informed by PayPal that they will not honour my claim for a refund for three future flight tickets which will not happen as Monarch have gone into receivership. They say they will not pay as my claim is more than 180 days since I made the booking! I am one very disgruntled PayPal user. So much for Customer support. I don't think I will be using them in the future.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Last week I sent $100 to my mother in New Jersey. I made a mistake of putting a note saying, "Mom this money is for Cuba." Now PayPal is holding my money as pending for review asking me what is the money for, who I'm sending the money to. This is crazy. My wife worked for a financial institute for almost 15 years. The only reason your account go for review is if you send too much money in a short period of time or the person who receive the money accumulate too much in a short period. But not Paypal. They are holding my money for a note I wrote, that's "insane". Only 100 dollars the first time I ever send money to my mom through PayPal. I just make her open that account that way was easier to send money to her when I need it. Huge error from my part. We are going to be closing our accounts after this nightmare is over.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Pissed off. PayPal is pretty much a scam itself because if you buy a product they can help you get your money. Now if you make a mistake and send to a friend, they can't help you get your money. It's bull crap.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Today, I canceled my PayPal account after being with them since 2001. I had a charge on my account from Norton in August 2017 for an auto-renew with the subscription beginning Sept 18, 2017 which was approx 20 days prior to the renewal. I did not want to renew the subscription so I canceled it immediately. I do not normally dispute charges but since I had multiple internet security packages from Norton and others to monitor personal and business laptops and computers, I needed to find out what I had so I did not have redundant protection. So I disputed the charge since it was PRIOR to the subscription beginning. Norton sent me an email saying they would refund it or would add a another year to the end which I thought was a very nice thing for them to do. I like Norton products but needed to make sure that I did not have redundant products.

In the meantime, PayPal decided not to refund the charge. Had Paypal performed their due diligence, they would have seen Norton agreed to refunding this future subscription. Because of this, after 16 years with PayPal, I decided to close this account and my plan is to close my eBay account as well as other business related PayPal accounts. Disputing one charge after 16 years (totaling $95.39) and what I felt was a "sterile" ruling, has left me to no longer use PayPal or any of their related companies. The real character of a company shows itself during a challenge like this and I feel they did not get this right. It does not make good business nor personal sense for me to partner with such a company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Just like an earlier commenter (Sept. 13th, LA) I had received an emergency loan of $100 from a friend. She even paid the fee to send it from a credit card ($3.90 or something like that.) A week later I had the money to send her back, and directed PayPal to send her $100, which they could draw from my bank. Instead of the money showing up in her account instantly, as it has done in times past, I got a notice that the payment was being "reviewed" and that could take up to 72 hours. I called PayPal. The rep I spoke to said it was just a routine flag, they do it all the time, 72 hours was the "window" for the hold and it should go through in a day. It did not.

It was in limbo for 3 days and then they returned it to my paypal account with NO EXPLANATION of why. Thinking I had made a mistake in her email address, I STUPIDLY sent the $100 to her again. I got the same "holding for review" letter immediately and today is the 3rd day, the 72 hours is up. They still have my $100. It has not come back to me or gone on to her. I suspect they are doing this a LOT and collecting interest on all the money they are holding for this time period when it is neither in the sender's bank or the receiver's bank but just in PayPal's bank. I will not be using PayPal to transfer money ever again and will use one of the many other services as much as I can. eBay and PayPal are so connected that I don't think you are allowed to use other payment methods, but hopefully that will change. PayPal was a good service for years but it has sold out.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Ordered beard oil using PayPal. Never received order. Emailed and phone company no joy. Emailed PayPal. They failed to get my money back. They said I had received order but could not show me any proof of it being delivered to my house. I think it's a scam between PayPal and company I ordered item from. Robbing bastards. Don't use PayPal.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Empty parcel from returned good for refund. Such a dishonest site. I now have to prove I got nothing back? How is that possible? Empty post bag with tracking? Such a dishonest site. Absolutely disgusted by the disgrace lying customer service $800 out of pocket. The thief has all my Australian banknotes and this scum company ignores it. Ebay does nothing. Same useless customer service that continues to lie and ignore. So dishonest. Cannot trust PayPal.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Called PayPal for a refund, they said the system will call back in 28 mins, cool. Waited for a call, got the call and someone from US answered. Pulled up my account details and everything. Then said give me one sec... Some Filipino comes on the line and says, "How can I help you?", asked for the previous guy. She said I got transferred over. Asked for all my details again, gave info. It took me literally 7 times to answer one of her question because she did not understand me. Finally, she said they can't help me. Screw PayPal.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The dreaded 180 day holds. I have contacted Paypal. No one return phone call or emails. I open a case with BBB and PayPal did not even respond. I was surprised that they did not respond. You would think a legit company would like to clear their name. (Nope). BBB contacted them again and gave them until Oct 6 to reply back. I going to contact Attorney General and Consumer Affairs after OCT 6 if PayPal does not respond. I don't understand how PayPal can keep your money after the transaction has been completed and buyers has their item and satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This has been by far the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. I have been in the hospital for 2 months now, and have missed a couple of payments on my PPC. Well flashback to now, the harassing calls they leave are nonstop. They call at 7 am, and every hour after, 5 times a day nonstop. They dont leave messages, there is no real number to contact. Anyway, in the hospital, I found out that they were contacting my relatives about the money I owed them, I have no idea how they even got this information, but I was furious. So not only was I sick and unable to do most things on my own, but aggravated that they had the nerve to pry into my personal information and call numbers of relatives to tell them about what I owe. This is against the law! I threatened to sue them.

The harassing calls never stopped, so finally I had to get my fiance to pay their ** 1335 because of high interest that they dont tell you about on my payment. Oh and even tho I paid on time, they STILL charged me a 38 dollar late fee. How is this legal??? I plan to sue them down the road and I suggest everyone else do too. I've also sold a few things on eBay, and even tho my buyer receives their item, I'm left waiting 2-3 weeks or more for money to come through because they withhold your funds... They are scammers, and crooks, and a terrible company. There was nothing they could do about my payments while I was in the hospital but somehow told me to call them and work something out, but was told that there was nothing they can do. Real caring huh?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have been a PayPal customer for over 10 years, using the service for small, medium and large transactions. Until recently, I have never been more frustrated and I believe PayPal is committing fraud! This is an open case, and one that I have not been able to resolve even after calling PayPal 2X. First call I was told that my Bank Account was not verified even though it was and it clearly states this on their website. The 2nd call I was told that the transaction went through 6 days prior. So I called my bank and was advised that it is illegal for the bank to NOT post the funds immediately.

So my 3rd call, the IT guru told me again, it is the bank's fault... and he (Elvis) asked me if I was satisfied with PayPal and their customer service. Laughable, especially when I told him absolutely NOT! And he advised me that it is the bank's fault. All the time I wasn't accusing anyone or placing fault, I just wanted to know where my $$$ were... Something is amiss, I will not use PayPal again...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I was told to link a bank acct or a debit card in which I did immediately. Soon after 25.00 from a friend was added to my acct. After I received the 25.00 I transferred the money to my debit card only to find out that I have to wait up to 24hrs for my money to made available for use!!! They don't have that part on the website!!! I hate PayPal and go back to using my Square account!! To hell with you PayPal!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

** PayPal limited my account. I called into the customer service department of the PayPal Canada customer service line at 7 pm pst on Sep 22, 2017. I spoke with a "Laura" and she was extremely rude to me. I had called in to ask for assistance on what I can do to lift the limit off of my account. After being put on hold by her so she can go see what they want me to submit, and her coming back to tell me that they need me to submit a file, I asked "Is my account going to be on hold for 180 days," (as I have heard from a billion PayPal horror stories widely available on the net) and she completely ignores my question and fires back with "THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID!!!"

Look lady, your company is not a bank but is acting like a bank holding my funds so now I am not able to pay my current bills or buy food for the family. I am very happy there was a class action lawsuit against PayPal in the states this year because of PayPal freezing many accounts without merit. Serves their asses right. To recap PayPal will throw you into the deep end for the sharks to eat you whole. They just want your money and they are not there to help you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017
    I have a huge problem with this outfit, apparently I'm not alone, it's the usual, they are holding money that belongs to me for 21 days to protect me? Have you ever heard such deceitful banker nonsense? So my money sits in their account for 21 days accumulating interest for them to protect me? Contacting them by phone or email is a total waste of time as they simply keep coming up with the type of deceptive nonsense you can expect from somebody like an international banker.

Does anybody know of a legal government body which is honest and not corrupt with the power to do a thorough investigation into the activities of Paypal? The challenge is tough because it has become obvious that bankers are behind this online money transfer scam.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have had my PayPal account for 15 years, I have had no defaults on any of my payments, yet their security systems flags my account at least twice a year. The first level customer service agents cannot help as 2nd level the same - I have to spend 2 hours on the phone trying to get this issue resolved. After I request for it to be an escalated claim, they tell me there was no reason for this to be happening, and blame on their security system. Horrible customer service, long waits on the phone, inept customer service and expensive, not to mention the manipulation of eBay - unfortunately a necessary evil.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.
    • Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.
    • App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.
    • Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.
    • Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.
    • Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs