2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.39/5

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Paypal is great, it's easy to use and I like that it's available on so many merchant's website check out. I always use that option when it's available, and it has saved me money. I ordered something I'd seen online and never received it; tried contacting the merchant twice and received no response either time. I put a claim in on the Paypal website and after they tried contacting the business I received a full refund on the purchase. I like that I can have multiple account payment options and choose if I want to use a debit or credit card for my purchase within the Paypal system with a keystroke. I also like being able to go back to my Paypal account and print receipts for items if I've misplaced the original receipts.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

They need to know more information on the sellers from other countries. I recently purchased an item from a website unknowing that it was coming from China. Within a few days the seller will acknowledge your purchase and send a tracking number. No word from the seller. I Contacted PayPal within a day. They had a tracking number. When my package was delivered it was a 3"x5" envelope with a two dollar phone case. I had ordered a game system. The seller was just trying to show an item was delivered so paypal would release my payment. Buyers need to know where their products are originating from. After almost a month I was given a full refund from PayPal.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PayPal was there when I needed them, I tried with my friends & Family, & I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with no problems, I even send money to my grandson when he got married, & I was able to buy a washer yesterday with Paypal's help, Thank you, Paypal, so far I started my paypal about a year ago, and I pay under their no interest within 12 months, & I haven't had to pay any interest yet. I always make sure, I keep record of my payments, and pay before the interest is due. I'm very happy. They actually do that for you. They are a little expensive, but they are there when you need them!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

After 15 years of using PayPal, and always knowing that their guarantee was ‘in the background’ I did not have cause to call on it until dealing with an extremely disreputable firm from China. I kept PayPal in the loop, and when negotiations broke down I escalated the case to a dispute. I did EXACTLY What PayPal instructed and while the process was not without a hiccup, in the end they willingly honoured their guarantee and are providing a full refund. Thank you to all staff of the resolution Center - especially Ian. My faith in humanity has been restored. Donna

Original review: July 20, 2020

I payed for an online purchase 55.28 for a Journey doll that should have been 17" silicone real life doll with clothing...I got a 5" rubber doll with so many flaws the body is covered with them, no hair and a piece of cloth as clothing that is pure white and doesn't fit...I paid using credit card but this seller was linked with Paypal...Immediately upon sending a message to Paypal they assured me they will look into a resolution. I immediately linked my credit card with Paypal and any online order that is done in the future will be done through Paypal only. I have 100% trust in this company. I am over 60 years of age so have always been skeptical of doing things through some other source...no longer.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Used Paypal to buy Bitcoin after setting up account. They had no problem taking my money from my banking account I had set up with them. I tried to buy more... plenty of money in account. They placed a "hold" on my account. After months, now they want a photo ID, proof of address, copy of bank statement and more info on my purchases. They don't need my photo... my bank transfers the money just fine and they have a complete log of my transactions. It's buy or sell Bitcoin. Now I can't even close my account without giving up a bunch of private info that they do not need. My money is being held hostage.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I am an eBay seller for many years now but the fees just went through the roof, also they just tend to keep your money if there is a problem and don’t respond properly and the 3.5% fee is misleading as it is often up to 9% depending on the circumstances. Also there is no fee refund if a refund has to be made even if the customer made a wrong order. This is a company who cares about making millions but not about their customers.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I sent my daughter money, as I have many many times in the past, on April 7th. I was notified the transaction was on hold due to security, but I was still able to do other transactions. This is the only transaction being reviewed for security reasons. It is now April 9th and the funds are still on hold. I called and was told my transaction was being reviewed for compliance. I sent my daughter money using friends and family option. I have done this more times than I can count. Why would this be an issue? I requested the money be released now and was told it would not be released until the review to see if the transaction was in compliance. Thank goodness I could afford to send the money to her a second time, as she could not wait for it. It was needed on the 7th.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I have used PayPal since 2019 to receive payments for donations to our charity as well as transfer funds between our volunteers and to receive payment in the event we provide a paint job to a client (there were more than 3 of these transfers). In the past all of my transfers were simple and I had no problem. Today however, my client paid me the $1,000 which I cannot access. Paypal took their $30 fee out and left me with no access to my money. They showed that they were holding $470 and that I had access to the other $500 and change. I called and was told it would be up to 21 days for the release to be made. Then I get into my account to transfer the $500 to my bank account that is linked with my paypal and I get a message saying once again that my money is pending. Usually my money goes immediately. Also, I was charged another $5 to transfer the $500. I'm sure that once the hold is off the $470 that they will also charge me for that.

All in all I have no access to the $1,000 I was paid and paypal will walk away with around 10% in their pocket. I have transferred thousands of dollars over the last 2 years. After this is fixed I will never again use paypal and I plan to be very vocal with this to other consumers so that nobody else will go through what I went through. I forgot to add; After being under the assumption that the transaction went through, I went to the grocery store to purchase food and my transaction was denied. I was very much embarrassed. Never again paypal! I am completely finished with this company.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I feel compelled to share my experiences with PayPal so other customers can be alert:

(1) I have been a seller at eBay, and PayPal had been eBay’s payment processor so I have to have a PayPal account to receive eBay’s sale proceed and I transferred the sales’s proceed to my bank every month. I have been doing this for many years. But this March, I tried to login to my PayPal account many times, using the same computer, same password as before, but I just can’t login.

(2) On March 23, I searched out PayPal’s phone number 1-888-221-1161 and reached an agent. He asked me many multiple choices questions, I answered them correctly. He tried to help me, but the problem persisted. He said: maybe it takes time for the info to propagate in the system," he suggested me to try at a later time and had assigned me a case No. which is **.

(3) On March 24, I tried to login but still cannot login. I called them again. This time it was another agent, even though I told him my Case No., He still asked me many multiple choices questions, I answered correctly. But he could not solve my login problem. I thought it is their software defect so I requested to talk to the supervisor and asked her when they will solve the login problem? She kept saying: “We don’t have a specific timeframe, you have to try later“, “We don’t have a specific timeframe, you have to try later”.... Repeat it forever. (I can’t provide her name if requested).

(4) On April 6, thinking they have solve the software problem, I tried to login again but still the same thing. I reach the third agent, She asked me multiple choices questions again like the two previous agents did, including friends I recognize from their list, previous companies I had associated with, previous house street and number, the date I moved in to the current house, the name and model of my current car which I already used for more than 10 years, the name and model no. of the previous car which I also used for more 10 years since 20 years ago.... I answered them all correctly.

(5) She was almost exhausted in her questions, then the last and the most ridiculous question she asked was the name and model of my car I used for more than 20 year’s ago. I had a hard time to figure out the model name, I told her “it is a Black American Car”, I can’t recall the model name right away but after a while I figure it out, I answered her correctly: “Chevrolet Caprice“. But she has no word except saying: “I can’t grant you access to your account because the time you answered the questions has exceed our time limit.” CAN YOU IMAGE THIS THING HAPPENED IN AMERICA???!

(6) After this call, I realized that it is not their software program, it is their systematic way to deny customer access to their fund. It is especially suspicious since eBay has announced to manage their own payments this year. To avoid further losses, I have to deactivate my store until eBay takes over my payment.

Base on 740 latest rating submitted to Consumer Affairs, PayPal has one star rating. For the protection of consumers, I sincerely hope that the authorities can investigate PayPal’s business practices.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team