1.05/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

1697 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

They won't let me even use my "available" funds on my account which is not even limited! I even provided them with my ID. They ask me to confirm my bank account and mobile phone number, but they are not sending me any confirmation codes to do that after I request them. They don't want me to verify my bank account or mobile number and are not letting me verify. And since I am not verified enough, they won't let me use my $960 on my account. They don't have an iota of integrity. Be warned! Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I am not a seller. I have been getting paid through PayPal for several years now (via the music teacher's website which hosts my site). I have never had funds held, and I receive tuition each month from 9 to 10 of my students, and on November 16th, I received payments from 4 students. Two were processed, and two were held without explanation. Here's where it gets interesting. I got notification that funds were being held and was told I should ship the items and provide a tracking number in order to speed up payment. Unfortunately, I am not selling anything! There was nothing to ship! Then I was told to mark the item as processed, and so I did, but then I called because this made no sense to me. I was told it would be over an hour before my call would be returned.

I waited, and the person on the phone was cordial and assured me there was no justifiable reason for the funds to be held and after several minutes on hold she promised me two things. 1. The problem had been escalated because the funds should not be held 2. The funds would be released in 24 to 48 hrs. I believe she believed she was telling me the truth, but 48 hrs came and went and then 72 hrs and I called again. Again I had to wait for a call back, and this time the person on the phone denied there had been an escalation, denied there was any wrongdoing on PayPal's part, and informed me the people who paid me the money would have to reply to an email from PayPal before the money would be released. To date, only one of the holds has been released.

I've contacted both parties involved, and both have done what PayPal asked them to do, so there is no clear reason for the funds to be held. I cut up my PayPal cards, and as soon as the amount clears the account we are closing our PayPal account forever. After visiting this page, and reading the similar recent accounts, I have a feeling PayPal has forgotten that no matter how big it gets there are options for people outside of PayPal's big umbrella. It may take a year or two for the trickle effect to break the dam, but unless something changes people who value integrity and customer service will go elsewhere. It is simply too easy to avoid PayPal. Furthermore, PayPal's new chip card makes it harder to purchase with a signature meaning you cannot get cashback from those pin purchases.

I am an original PayPal card holder. I had the grandfathered 1.5% rate. This amount doesn't begin to make up for the lack of customer service and respect for people's money (which we are. HELLO loaning PayPal!) which we pay a fee to use. The divorce is in progress, and will soon be finalized. I cut up all our PayPal cards including the new one that just arrived. I sent this page link to Dan Schulman via Twitter. I am including the link here if the page will let me. Let's let him know how we feel about the new PayPal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have been doing business with Paypal and eBay for almost 20 years now and I have seen the trend developing for a while now but I've stayed quiet because it didn't really impact my business until now. These companies have both gone out of their way to make the services easy to use for buyers, at the expense of their sellers.

I recently had a case where a buyer with a new account had bought a bunch of items and then falsely used their resolution and claims process to claim that he never received the items and received a chargeback of the money he paid while still keeping the items he had purchased. PayPal gave the case about 10 minutes of their attention and sided with the buyer at my expense. I am very dissatisfied at the way they treat us and wish there were other ways to be able to collect payments over eBay rather than the PayPal monopoly. I remember back when eBay accepted different payment methods and think that PayPal used to treat us more fairly when they were not the only game in town.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

There were unauthorized transactions from my account of over 5 grand. It's been around a month and I am still trying to fix this with them. It's funny, every time I call them, it seems I start the process from scratch and it ends with them saying, "We will take care of this." But the next time I call again, they act like this is first time I am registering a complaint. In the last one month, I have explained the same problem to them almost 40 times!!! Please, don't use PayPal! There are lots of other better services.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Ridiculous. I will no longer be selling on eBay. £20 PayPal fee for selling an item. Then they put my funds on hold for over two weeks as they say I do not have a good enough eBay rating to pay me straight away despite the fact the buyer paid straight away. I have been an eBay member for over 8 years with 200 transaction at selling and buying with a full 100% rating. This is just another way for them to fleece us. I am now waiting on eBay telling me I owe them £20 as well for my most recent sale. Greed like this will only drive people to other more user friendly sites! PLUS - I had a PayPal credit account for a short period of time. I cleared the account as I wanted to close it. The hassle I had to go through to close it is also ridiculous. I reckon they hope you will give up. There is no clear online way of doing this. You have to call them, after a lengthy wait on the phone I was integrated as to why I did not want to keep it open.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I ordered and paid for an Ebay auction. Several days later, Ebay emailed me to let me know that the auction was fraudulent and the seller had been hacked. I disputed the payment with PayPal, which I've never done before. I chose "Unauthorized Payment" because they didn't have a category for fraudulent auction. After about a week, PayPal refused my dispute. I called them and was on the phone over an hour, being passed from one representative to another and then after an hour, they hung up on me. Ebay cannot help me because I started my dispute with PayPal first. I have emailed PayPal over and over sending them all the emails and proof from Ebay that the auction was fraudulent, but PayPal just sends me automated responses saying to take it up with Ebay.

They don't actually read your emails I'm assuming. PayPal says because I opened the dispute in the wrong category, there's nothing they can do. They told me to call again, which I just did and again was on the phone over an hour being transferred from one rep to another, with zero help in the end. I don't have time to waste an hour on the phone especially when I get no help. PayPal brags that they'll keep your money secure, but instead they steal it from you and never even try to help you when you've had a fraudulent charge, which you can prove over and over. I'm so angry and frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

They give instructions on how to start a dispute... but never really outline how to escalate to a case. The whole interface is designed to confuse and frustrate people... so they will not dispute or cancel the claim. They basically hide the link to escalate. very very small text that gives a different description than is really there. Sleazy really and should not be allowed to do it. Also if you do not respond via email within 10 days the other party wins. I was left with a real feeling of it being shady. I do not want them to have my account numbers etc if that is the way they operate... Who knows what they would do with it. I do not trust them. Looking for an alternative. Closed Account today.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My wife made a small error by paying for an item using an old bank account information that she forget to delete, this resulted in PayPal paying for the item and placing her account into a -$300 state with account limitations so she cannot send/receive money until this limitation is resolved, after talking to Facebook staff and saying this needs to be resolved over the phone. I've tried to contact many times and they simply never answer the phone... period. So this account is pretty much in limbo with a negative account balance all because they refuse to have a proper customer service to help resolve the situation.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I used to PayPal to sell a very expensive hyperbaric chamber that belong to my father before he passed away. I got an approval beforehand or I would have completed this transaction elsewhere. After the payment had been processed, it was complete chaos. I made phone call after phone call trying to have my money released and the purchaser of the chamber did as well. I was referred to department after department having to pay an at fault account that belonged to someone with the same last name before they would even discuss the matter. They decided to keep a hold on my money for 4 months releasing it to me in July, however when I tried to pay for an item I purchased from eBay yesterday a hold was still active on my account.

I received a phone call today that was completely rude and nonsense. They expected me to sign my account up as a account during the process even though it is a personal account and permanently banned me from using their services again. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this nonsense as they received their hefty transaction fees yet wanted more requiring me to illegally sign up as a corporation. How can a company be so GREEDY. Very easily with no remorse.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Sold an item listed for on eBay and payment is issued through PayPal. Payment received, item shipped same day, entered tracking information, item delivered on schedule, customer submits positive feedback and funds are released from pending status. I attempt to withdraw the funds from PayPal to my debit card linked to my PayPal account. Initiate a small test transfer in the amount of 5.00 dollars. The transfer is canceled and the 5.00 dollars refunded back to PayPal account within a matter of a few minutes (within the 30 minute time frame). Initiate a second withdrawal for the same amount. I receive a message stating under review "Pending" however, the history account information is void any debit card information and the .25 cent fee has not been charged against my PayPal balance.

Over the course of the next couple days I continue with the small attempts successful in transferring a 16.00 dollar, 5.00 dollar and 10.00 withdrawals but each of the 25.00 dollar attempts return back to my account. I initiated about 10 withdrawals and successfully transferred 3. The 5.00 dollar withdrawal made on the 13th finally returned back to my PayPal account on the 17th. I attempt to withdraw my money via PayPal to my linked checking account. Again, small amounts which were immediately sent to "Pending" where they remain to this day. Now, PayPal states the failed attempts were caused by my bank who I have on the phone at the time each attempt is initiated. At no time did my bank receive any notice of any transfers from PayPal and return the funds. PayPal is being untruthful in PayPal's explanation of the cause.

I am sitting with upwards of 200.00 dollars balance in PayPal account, I have my bank on the phone and I initiate a PayPal to debit card withdrawal for the balance on account which is immediately place in "Pending" where it remains to this day. PayPal, has every excuse under the sun why. PayPal has gone as far as to state, the review is not performed by PayPal but by my bank and it is my bank who requires a review be performed. Untrue. Someone, (as PayPal certainly avoids answering my question) tell me the purpose of said review?? Who and how is the review performed??

The .25 cent processing fee is key here. If it doesnt appear within the statement on withdrawal no withdrawal has been initiated. It's that simple. If you read PayPal's self help forum, I believe entitled "Community", there you will find the answer. All debit card withdrawals are completed within 30 minutes and a charge of .25 cents processing fee will appear regardless. If it's canceled and returned you will see the .25 cents. if it's successful the .25 cents will appear. No .25 cent fee, no withdrawal request has been initiated.

PayPal uses this as a means to continue their hold on your money which is sitting in an interest bearing account earning PayPal interest each day. You take my money, your money and many thousands of people in this same situations money and now we are talking a substantial sum. PayPal shields itself behind ** such as "Potential Security Issue". "Pending Review", "Returned By Bank". PayPal is nothing more than a ACH transaction clearing house. It's is my belief formed in my personal experience and dealings with PayPal that PayPal's covert and clandestine activities wherein PayPal conspire and agree to a course of action, business practices adopted and incorporated by PayPal's board of directors as policy and procedure designed with the sole purpose of denying my possessory interest right in my money. Which I understand is actionable under the law.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I have used PayPal for a couple of years now and recently I have started to notice some major discrepancies in my account. I have been billed for services that I never signed up for and have never been credited back for refunds. The latest and final straw was being told by PayPal that even though I returned an item, the $599.99 that I paid for it has not been returned and is still pending after 30+ days. I plan on contacting my states Attorney General on Monday and asking if I would be able to file a fraud complaint. I will never do business with PayPal again and after this issue is resolved, I will be closing both my personal and my company's accounts with PayPal and taking any and all legal steps that I can in order to stop this kind of fraudulent activity.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

In our opinion and experience PayPal (MAFIA-Crooks) seems to believe that they are knowledgeable in all fields and they make decisions and its rulings based solely on the big 3 Credit card companies behalf. Our account went into the red due to a American Express customer saying they were not satisfied with their order. This was a custom made order which the customer sole supervised the entire process and this was documented. We sent PayPal all the information required to disproves this groundless accusation and even with all of our documentation in disproving this claim it was awarded to them?

If you have connections with PayPal then you can reverse just about anything. I was told by the PayPal rep that the "bank makes all of the decisions and that's it's above her (my) pay grade" (Mrs.**). So in short; no court no jury means no judgment correct? But in PayPal's view it is acting as JUDGE JURY AND executioner of finance. Class action if I may say Sign me up...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

No business should be forced to have to use a debit card to get funds transferred. Likewise, no business should be charged by PayPal to obtain its funds in a check due to PayPal’s issues. An ACH transfer costs nothing. Wtf. Square is definitely now the only way to go for small business. Beware consumers as you are being forced to do something that costs PayPal nothing.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

PayPal has hit an all time low. I've been using them for 16 years now, and had a lot of ups and downs with this company, but this one takes the cake. I received a payment from a customer yesterday for a little over $100 for a custom made doll. PayPal put that payment into a pending status for 21 days, stating I can get my money faster if I send the merchandise now and send a tracking number to PayPal to prove it was delivered. Any business person with any common sense at all knows you don't send out merchandise without a cleared payment. That is ridiculous. I, myself, would never ever expect a company to send me merchandise before they have received my payment.

It also gave me 5 reasons why the payment "may" have been put in a pending status. #1 You may be a new PayPal seller (I've been in business for 16 years and have been using PayPal that entire time). #2 You have performance issues or a high rate of dissatisfaction among your customers. (I have never had a problem with my customers. I have not had any disputes with customers. I have not had any claims filed against me through PayPal. I take care of my customers. I do not sell through eBay, I have a website. I do not have negative feedback, like an eBay seller may encounter). #3 The payment you received may be considered an unusual pattern (I've been selling the same items for years and years and years. There is nothing unusual about this transaction). #4 You were previously an inactive seller (I've been selling merchandise using PayPal consistently for 16 years, every single month for 16 years).

#5 You've been selling for a while but opened a new account (I have never changed my account. I've been using the same account for 16 years. I have not opened any new PayPal accounts). They also stated that I do not have enough money in my account to cover the price of this transaction if a problem should arise. (I had more than the amount of this transaction in my account at the time when this transaction came through. I used to leave quite a bit of money in my account before transferring it, but after so many problems with this company over the years, I have been transferring most of my money into my checking account rather quickly for some time now. I have a feeling that is the real issue here. They have not been able to use my money for free. I leave enough in my account to pay for the shipping fees for items I'll be shipping out, and nothing more).

After doing a little bit of research, I was shocked to find out that this is a practice PayPal has been using for years now. I've just been lucky enough not to get nabbed till now. There is absolutely no reason for them to hold this payment, other than they can use that money to make money without having to pay any interest on it. Just think about that! How many people did they do this to just yesterday, the day before that, and the day before that. How many will they do it to today? Just think about the money they are holding, for free, for 21 day periods!

I tried going through customer service to get this decision reversed, telling them that not one of their reasons for holding this payment pertained to me or my business, so they need to either give me a valid reason or reverse this hold immediately, but there is very little help when it comes to PayPal. It's like talking to the wall trying to get a customer service rep to actually do something. You can call, you can email, but all it really does is frustrate you all the more because you will ALWAYS receive a stock answer through email, and when calling, you will be put on hold for lengthy periods of time, only to end up with a rep who can't do anything about it and will just keep repeating the same stock answers over and over again, because they're reading a script!

Before deciding on PayPal for your merchant account, you may want to do a little research and find a company that doesn't have so many complaints. Why have I put up with them for 16 years? Honestly, every time I've had huge issues with them, they have fixed the problems eventually, and being a very busy person, it was just easier to continue on with them rather than have to go through the process of finding another reliable merchant account company. My shopping cart is tied up with them, it would have meant redoing shopping cart links on over 100 pages of merchandise. It would have been incredibly time consuming, time I just simply didn't have. That's why I say, before deciding on PayPal to begin with, you may want to do your research and take the time to look into alternatives.

For myself, I'm 6 weeks from retirement. I'll be selling out my stock after the first of the year, and plan to take the time to find alternatives to PayPal once I'm at that point, as they have taken advantage of me one too many times. I can't wait for the day when I can say goodbye to this company for good. PayPal does receive fees, after all, for each and every transaction that goes through them. Making up these ridiculous reasons to hold customer’s payments is unethical, and you would think, illegal, and yet, they just continue to get away with it! If you or I did this to a customer, we'd be in big doodoo! And quite frankly, if any of us treated customers like this, we'd be shocked if they ever used our service again!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I tried to use my debit card to send money and PayPal rejected it. I called customer service and was told that although there is nothing wrong with my card, they needed me to put all my bank information into their system. According to them, this was for my protection. Really, I am just trying to send $35. I felt as if I was being scammed, and hated that I had already entered my card information into my system (It was my first experience with PayPal). I removed my card information from their site, and pray that they don't pull anything out of my account. Will NEVER use this company. I don't trust them...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I sold my car via eBay and the buyer paid through PayPal. At 1st PayPal told me I would have my money released in 7 days after buyer received. So 7 days later I call PayPal and they said I have to wait another 9 days. So in 9 days I call and they said I have to wait another 3 days so you can imagine my frustration in having that PayPal has stolen my money and refuses to give it to me. Now I have received an email from PayPal saying they won't let me have my money unless I send a photo of my license then I have to wait for another 5 days till they can receive it, not to mention they took $170 fee from me. They stolen my money. At this stage I can't see me getting it anytime soon. I highly recommend not using PayPal. It's really not a safe choice. I'm now going to contact crime commission to receive some help in this area as I need help with receiving what's mine.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

They hold your money, keeping it hostage, until THEY CLAIM IT IS SAFE for all parties for them to release those funds. This time-frame is totally at their discretion. I think they are keeping the money to earn interest on it. When they FINALLY release YOUR money, they charge you a fee for using their "service". I'm totally, completely done with PayPal. I will use a different service or drive and pick up a paycheck or wait on snail-mail. YOU HAVE NOW WARNED. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I've just sat for over one hour trying to get money received on eBay sales transferred to my account... This is the second time for such an occurrence, and each time after one hour I have been hung up on without a return call. This company is a racket, in that it holds your money for 21-30 days after a sale on eBay for 'security reasons' even though a customer was completely satisfied with the purchase. I wish eBay would find another way to transact payments. In conclusion, I recommend to people to never sign up with PayPal when selling anything or plan to wait a long time to receive your money.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

PayPal having keeping my money for months. I have been in contact. They wanted proof of address that I gave them various. Then they say it has to match word for word and to change it in my account. I am doing all they ask and every time I contact them I get the same answer from a different agent saying it will take 24 to 72 hours. Well it has been longer and every time I write I get the same regenerated email from someone saying they are a different agent. This is crap. The customer service is a disgrace and they should not be allowed to operate with the customer service they have. I have all their emails.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Took money from my account 3 times and never paid the seller while leaving the payment pending and refusing to refund until pending period over with. Each time they told me it never happened and had to spend a total of 22 hours on the phone.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I had purchased a quilt on eBay. I have dealt with eBay and Paypal for at least twenty years and have spent a great deal of money and purchased at least daily from eBay. Payment was always deducted from my checking account. I did purchase about half a dozen items using a credit card. On November 8th, 2017 I paid for my purchase online thru my Paypal account which always deducted any eBay purchases from my checking account. I checked my balance the next day and discovered Paypal without my authorization had placed the charge for the quilt on my credit card!!! This led to a double payment. I had a credit from a seller and planned to use my credit towards the purchase of the quilt. Paypal always deducted the credit from the total purchase of items would bill the checking account if there was money still owed for the balance.

Paypal used my credit card and billed the total amount of the purchase for the full price of the item and placed the balance due on my checking account! I tried numerous times to have this corrected. Not to mention Paypal according to their system reflected payment was charged with my credit card which was false! I canceled my credit card. My credit card was never reflected on my account for eBay purchases! For payment nearly for all purchases my checking account was used for eBay payments to Paypal! I became apprehensive that Paypal had more information than needed and I have no idea how they were able to charge the credit card without using the credit card for payment!

Now I have no idea if they could happen again for eBay purchases! Contacting Paypal is impossible! I tried to contact their home office after failed attempts from their customer service department which is useless, waste of time and frustrating! Guess what? The main number to Paypal is disconnected! Ebay also uses this approach. Any problems with sellers are your problem and lead to being screwed as I was! My advice is: checking that you payments to Paypal will have to be monitored!!! Not worth the bother is my opinion. Either curtail your eBay purchases or not use Paypal at all for eBay. Paypal has become a successful stock, however their customer service worsened! Paypal SUCKS!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I was told I could switch my account to my business partner. All I had to do was fax over paperwork. So I faxed over the paperwork and they said they would e-mail in a week. A week went by and I didn't get an e-mail from them. I called again and now they told me they didn't get my fax, that I would have to resend the paperwork and I could send it through PayPal so they could get it faster. So I sent it through PayPal and they said they will e-mail me in a week. Still didn't hear anything. I e-mailed them thinking I might hear from them and I got a generic email back that had neither to do with my problem. So I called again, now they tell me the letter I wrote has to be typed and needs to have a business letterhead. So I type it up and send that...

A week later still haven't heard from them. I call again... About 2 hours later after talking to three different people they said it got denied and they couldn't tell me why. Then they said I can open up a new one under her name. I tried and I can't use the business account email or business name because it's being used. Another call later and I need to close my account and lose all sale history and then I can open one up under her name. Now after all that time and money lost they are telling me to close my account so I can keep my business name and email? It took from the first fax on 9/29/2017 to 11/09/2017 to tell me that... If I could give a no star rating I would. They are lucky my clients want to use PayPal and not another invoice app.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I place my order from Groupon. The order came to a 3rd party. I received an email stating that it will be additional delay due to the fire California. I did get in contact with Groupon and the 3rd dealership. They said it's Been deliver. I have not received my items still as of today. No one had any idea. Where my item is that I paid for is at! I however do need that computer deal or my money back refunded back to me. They're telling me they're not able to do so. Not fair to me. Horrible customer service and it's paid for. I Don't have money to throw away, cause I don't have it to do it! I need help! Under PayPal really!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I used to be able to pick to pay in a different currency from the Paypal payment menu. Now they got rid of that option. They make it look like you're paying in the currency shown on the screen, but when you get the credit card bill, you'll notice that that it was charged in your home currency. I have a credit card that charges 0% fee for foreign currency payments. Paypal charges 2.5% so now I'm losing 2.5% whenever I use them.

Even if you don't login but use them strictly for a credit card payment, they'll force the conversion on you based on your home country. This is a change I've noticed this year (2017). I never said this before, but I will try my hardest now to avoid making payments with them now because of these sneaky moves they've made to make more profit.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Being an eBay seller you are forced to use PayPal to receive funds from your sales. If you experience a problem and it usually will be with the PayPal end you are dead in the water. I have been a PayPal customer since 2013 without having any problems with my customers or my products being sold. I have 673 positive feedbacks. I recently changed my email address with PayPal and that has become an absurd comedy of reactions. PayPal is now holding my money for 21 days. I have been on the phone with customer service only to go around in circles. PayPal is not able to connect the dots, I have not changed my business on eBay, I have not started selling new merchandise and I have not started receiving negative feedback or changed any of my contact information, all the reasons they state for holding your money.

When you check off all the boxes that do not apply to you as their reason for holding your money, they repeat the same reasons again and again. I say comedy because it is like GroundHog Day except the results are not good for me. I then asked why PayPal claims to have a customer service department when the agent is not able to resolve anything other than repeating a robotic response to problems. So what the CS person was able to do was to give me an assignment of contacting the customers of the 2 sales that they are holding and ask them to leave me positive feedback. We had already reviewed how about 50% of customers do not even leave feedback on eBay sales. The bottom line with this is after several conversations with CS nothing is going to be corrected for their error. The worst part of selling on eBay is making you deal with PayPal, what a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It certainly doesn't simplify buying online in fact quite the opposite has been my experience, and if you ever need help from them Good Luck. I think it's impossible to actually talk to a person. I have a refund coming because I returned an item purchased on eBay, unfortunately I made the purchase using PayPal so the refund is due from them. Now comes the tough part of trying to find out how to get my refund. Their website is absolutely no help and I gave up trying to talk to someone. I will just call this experience and move on, my future plans do not include PayPal.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have been selling and purchasing through eBay and using PayPal for several years. Until now I have had no problems. I recently had a person purchase a figurine from me then say they did not authorize the purchase. Then they requested a chargeback through their credit card company. They said they did not have a PayPal account. PayPal told me to refund the customer or if I did not they would refund them out of my account in so many days. Then PayPal charged me a $20.00 chargeback fee. This whole situation has made me disgusted to use either company. What a scam the whole situation was. Buyer and Sellers beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

A company called IP Vanish setup an ongoing subscription without my knowledge. The day they tried to charge my account, I put in a dispute. Your company tried to debit my account for a transaction I did not approve which bounced our account. I called and spoke to a supervisor who explained what happened. He said that the company reversed the charges and that I would have to take up the bounced charge with them even though it was an unauthorized charge. I explained that I would handle that but do not touch my account again for this transaction.

He stated that the money that IP vanish sent back would be taken from my Paypal account and that I wouldn't have a problem. Then, Paypal tried to take the same unauthorized transaction again which bounced my account again. Now I am $60 in the hole for something I DID NOT APPROVE. This is ridiculous. You take no responsibility and your workers also take no responsibility. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I will post this everywhere I can. When you say that you protect the consumer, THAT IS A LIE!!! Your company contributes to hurting the consumer and fails to do anything, but TAKE YOUR CUT!!! SHAMEFUL BEHAVIOR PAYPAL! After 13 years without ANY ISSUES, it is horrible that I am being treated this way. Therefore, I am cutting off all connections with your company. We are canceling our account.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My dad sent me money from his bank (cash). They took it out of his account the minute he pressed enter. It's been a week, and I still don't have my money. I called, and they made up an excuse about his account being new (true). This doesn't jive with me, because the money is obviously there. They have it in their account collecting interest. There is no excuse for this.

Also, I had canceled a recurring payment with them in August. They sent me a confirmation notice saying that no payments would be made to this vendor. When my renewal time came around, sure enough they took out the money. I logged a complaint for an unauthorized payment. I got an email back saying that they had investigated and that the payment was authorized. When I called, they said it wasn't an unauthorized payment. It was a canceled payment. Excuses again. If they knew that, they should have changed the complain themselves instead of dropping it. Any excuse not to pay me my money. I'm fed up.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

PayPal Stole my money and will not release it! My sister deposited $1000.00 into my PayPal account 2 days ago to help my wife and I with emergent medical costs and prescriptions. PayPal offed the ability to transfer my money into my bank account using my debit card on file. A process that they boasted would only take a few minutes. They took the money from my Pay Pal account and then put a hold on the transfer. After writing 5 letters and calling customer service 3 times, and being disconnected after an hour on hold and in the middle of a conversation, Pay Pal has still not given me a reason for the hold or how this hold can be resolved. I'm sure that this practice is not legal. The only responses I get back are automated answers that do not address my issue.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs