2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.77/5
Based on 2,125 ratings submitted in the last year

PayPal Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have seen some people rant and rave that certain information was needed to resolve their case. It's typically proof of delivery and things like that. I don't blame PayPal for requiring I prove an item never arrived when tracking says otherwise. As someone who runs a company and deals with the same situation, I'd say it's fair practice. Once I contacted UPS and received their delivery information and presented it to PayPal, boom! I got my refund. Keep in mind, tracking is NOT proof, request GPS location of scan, label information (could be address wrong), etc. If they made it too easy, it would be taken advantage of and buyer protection would likely no longer exist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

PayPal is very excellent at debiting my credit card account. Major difference when I try to transfer balance from my PayPal account to my bank. Have tried three times over 3 days to transfer a small $24.00 balance into my bank checking account. Aside from very cumbersome and slow process in navigating the PayPal site the site gives me a message that transfer can't be made at this time. Now I am faced with what will be a joke of a process in dealing with them over the phone.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

It all started with a cancelled payment and ended with a closed account. I sent payment to a friend but canceled it literally an hour later. And sent the money to another friend. Two days later the money from the 1st friend was taken from my account (no big deal) but the 2nd payment was sent as an echeck and also taken from my bank account. I spent hours going through the resolution center with no help so I called Paypal, 5 days straight an hour or more on each call with no answer until the 5th day. I went through 4 reps and had to get verified EACH TIME!!! Still I did not get upset or cause a fuss.

After 6 days still my friend did not get the money but again I'm being asked to submit documentation to prove my identity. I did (government issued ID AND SSN card). Now I was hesitant to do this because it's my SSN. Anyone can steal my identity. But I did as I was asked. Day 7 friend still gets no money so I attempt to resend the money. Nope can't do it because my account is blocked. 3 days later and over 5 hours of wait time and being verified twice I finally get someone. They unblock my account and tell me to wait two hours. Ok now I'm able to resend the money. 3 days still they get no money. Both amounts have been withdrawn from my bank account but still no money.

Now out the blue my account has limited access and is now requesting I send in my bank details (bank statement), change my password and send in ANOTHER copy of my Id. I do as I'm asked no problem. What threw me over the roof is 3 days later I get an email saying "unfortunately we closed your account". Huh?? Why?? Over two weeks my friend still has not gotten the money and you have over 2k of my money and my friend still has not received the money. I'M SO DONE!!! I absolutely HATE PayPal. You steal my money, make me send my whole life plus blood to prove my identity, verify me over 4 times over the phone and then you close my account a week later.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Paypal credited a buyer even though I won the eBay dispute. Paypal credited the buyer $10 even though the buyer kept the item AND only paid $6.99 for the item. Tried contacting Paypal several times. In total, I waited 5 hours, and talked to a couple customer service reps, and they said my money would be refunded, however; the dispute center doesn't read and just ignored my appeal. I will NEVER USE PAYPAL again. I've been a member since 2000. I am so glad there are other payment ways now.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I opened a PayPal account to make an online purchase 2 days ago. PayPal being a money transferring service and safe online purchase company I thought, "What could go wrong?" Well EVERYTHING! PayPal will not allow new account members to make online purchases due to security reasons. I was told that since I have no history of using PayPal ever in my life I will not be able to use PayPal for online purchases. How can a money transferring service not even give you an opportunity once!? PayPal customer service even had the nerve to tell me they would "MAKE MONEY" off my purchase but have no way to reverse the denial. PayPal lost money and PayPal lost the merchant money as well by not approving my online purchase.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Been using eBay for over 20 years, put my money on hold for no reason from my sales. Wants you to ship items without the payment in hopes they will eventually release your money when they feel like it. What kind of nonsense is that? PayPal thinks their customers are criminals.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team