1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

1896 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I had a transaction on a "guest account" I did not make. Reported in Am to bank, eBay and PayPal to stop when I saw it in the middle of the night. Package came 3 days later and was sent secure not open to merchant within an hour and insured by UPS in a separate box. eBay giving tracking. Vendor has and can't close transaction because PayPal says it customer is bank. Also security both PayPal and eBay have confirm hack for initial transaction. Bank was told by PayPal a package came going it's unopened, returned not bought by me. Have vendor electronic communications of him asking to recharge as he has product and again he is told they are fighting recharge and cannot pay him. I called and said I am charged the money with PayPal so let's resolve and told their customer is Chase and I have not claim. Chase with all the information does nothing. We can.

Original review: April 20, 2018

PayPal let someone as a “guest account” buy some items with my Chase CC. Of course after an investigation concluded that is was nothing to reverse in my favor because Paypal let that transaction go through. So called PP again and no one take the time to let me know who did it and how? So PP screwed me???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

Wallace Distributing LLC purchased a product from Alibaba.com. The Alibaba seller requested I pay for the product via PayPal. Upon receiving the product the product was broken and defective. I submitted a dispute with PayPal. I provided pictures and proof of the defective product. PayPal closed the case and did not refund my money. I want my money back. Item not as described Apr 15, 2018 $1,850.00.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Please help to solve problem with dispute refund/return item 14k yellow gold citrine ring size 8 5.9g total weight. Cost total $144.99. Reason for return I sent to the seller on the March 26, 2018. Request was declined at the same day. "I am so sorry, need to return the ring. It is too... Loose for my finger. Fall down from finger also, it looks much bigger stones than on the pictures and also stones looks rough like made in garage and ugly... Thank you for your time." The seller declined the return request.

On the March 26 I spent 3 hours on phone to open dispute (by online impassibly at this time as was before). No any result. Second on my off day start to call and spent 2 hours on the phone. Answer: Seller declined, so I have know it on the same day when I asked. What resolution center answer. Today April 17, off day and start at 9 am till 10:45, transfer to transfer, specialist to specialist... For 1 hours and 45 min. pass over 5 specialist and waiting 6th specialist. It is not all... Avoid this 2 business.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Filed a claim with PayPal against a seller that was practicing blatantly fraudulent and irresponsible business practices. Seller wouldn’t accept a return and PayPal said claim could take 30 days to investigate. Two weeks later I get an PayPal email that claim was “closed due to lack of response from me”. Apparently PayPal had sent emails that I could return the item but went to my spam folder (which is very strange as I get ALL PayPal emails) but could not re-open the claim. Their “policy” does not allow a claim to be reopened so I’m stuck with no refund. PayPal Support rep hung up on me! Feel this was mishandled and a very punitive and unfair policy by PayPal. I never received the emails asking for me to return the item!! But of course I DO get the email that says they’re closing my claim in my inbox. VERY FRUSTRATING. PayPal rep even admitted they have this happen all the time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: April 14, 2018

About 2 years ago Paypal decided to limit my account, I tried to resolve the issue with no success. About a year ago they decided to close my account and they will send me an email with directions to refund my balance within 180 days, which didn't happen. N.B. The closer of my account was probably due to my country "Egypt". My balance is about $35 (which is not a big deal), however I hate to be cheated. The only transaction I made using PayPal was a deposit of that amount.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I recently attempted to complete an online order with a merchant who uses PayPal. I experienced a glitch between their site and my own. Next, after an hour of wasted time, I decided to change my primary bank account. Then I was met with an account shut off. PayPal already has several of my credit cards verified. They were requiring proof of a picture ID. Seriously? This company is scum. They cannot be contacted by any normal means, even with email. Pure junk.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I recently sold a vehicle on eBay and the purchaser sent me a hefty deposit as down payment as required on eBay. I went to remove the funds. Was on hold so PayPal told me eBay had to lift the restrictions and they did but PayPal won’t give me my money now. When I called them, they said I have to wait even longer now. Are they that broke they have to hold my money? Purchaser already has had the car for over two weeks and left me great feedback and I’m still waiting on my money that is owed to me!!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

PayPal could get away with murder. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone. No names to talk to. Just departments and artificial responses. We were scammed. It involved other people's credit cards who were also scammed. They will not talk to us, they drop calls, give me several options which put me back to square one. I think the government should get involved in having PayPal be more responsible for the scams that occur. We have spent months and months trying to get a straight answer out of them. What a cowardly company.

Original review: April 11, 2018

PayPal has my bank account and my credit card information, but they won't let me withdraw more than $1000 per month. They want my social security #, which I will not give them and they want 2 to 3 days to verify my American Express which they have had for weeks. Bottom line they have my money and won't let me withdraw it, they're using it for several more days, when I could be earning interest and invest it. Boils down to a very poor policy that is intended to create barriers to get your money. They could charge my credit card a thousand dollars and then credit it back in seconds, instead they have this extremely poor and one-sided policy to hold your funds longer, so they can make use of it. With enough customers or rather suckers, this adds up to huge amounts of money that PayPal can use at our expense.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Had an account with them a long time ago, tried to re-establish log in, they sent codes, I entered, they kept asking more questions, nothing worked. As someone who has 30+ years in software I have never been more frustrated with the complete lack of organization and poorly thought out software. I would be ashamed to offer this as a product. Then you try to contact support via email and guess what - it ask you to log in, which is what I am trying to do. Just poor example from start to finish. I was caught in their earlier data breaches and swore I would never use again, but needed something from a company that doesn't offer any other payments. So that company is never getting my business again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Recently after many years of being a customer of PayPal that will no longer be the case for myself as of today. Yes like many of the reviews I too have no success with their robot answering. I then recently tried this instead of waiting on the complete list of automated choices. I just start saying AGENT over and over until it detects somehow and I have been lucky enough to get a real person!! Of course once again today to yet another of their unbelievable decisions, they decided against me once again and basically called me a liar. Period. After sending them pictures, documentation and everything they ask for at PayPal telling me they would solve this in my favor. To drop the claim with eBay and they would take care of this for me at PayPal.

I have been with both companies PayPal and eBay scratching my head here trying to figure out what does it mean to have 100 percent great feedback since 2006 in eBay. I love how these companies basically have you do all their work for them screenshots, emails, etc... Even though you know they have these documents on their systems. This is after multiple times of submitting what they needed. Spoke to basically like I am the one at fault no need in wasting my time on all the lengthy phone calls and holds plus talking out of both sides of their mouths. What's happened to protecting the consumer?!! No more need for this kind of treatment. No benefits for the buyers!! #BYEPAYPAL.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My account with PayPal has been put on ice, because they are requesting a confirmation of my bank account in the Philippines. When trying to submit the document, stating my name as account holder it shows that PayPal is not able to check my sent documents. In addition, due to these circumstances my PayPal account in Germany put my account on hold. If PayPal is not capable to solve this issue then I requested to have my funds withdrawn and my account deleted. This is not an option either. In the beginning, about 4 weeks ago, they stated that the proof of documents usually takes 2 days but the time of weeks has passed already and they are holding MY funds.

In addition is my PayPal account in Germany also put on ice, as they state that I first have to clear my “issue “with PayPal Philippines. I did try to call, but the person who answered the phone was not in the position to answer my questions. We arranged a time where they will contact me by phone, but so far, as in 5 days ago, no one has called my stated number. I am getting more and more frustrated, as due to their, (PayPal Philippines), negligence regarding this issue, has funds from both accounts have been locked. (PP Germany and PP Philippines)

Original review: April 9, 2018

My tax return states deposited on the 5th of April. I live of monthly fixed income so a small deposit doesn't seem like much but it meant getting caught up. But I am showing a negative balance and anytime I get someone with customer service they tell me, "Sorry can't help." Now I have past due bills and I can't catch up. How do I get my return from these people.

Original review: April 8, 2018

First PayPal won't let me send some money for emergency cases. Or pay bills. I had some money on my PayPal. I had try more than one week to send money thru PayPal but it always locked me. And now they put me limited account asking a lot of documents which is I don't have. I'm using my hubby PayPal and he was gone. I don't have his document. And now I had to pay bills and everything but this stupid PayPal lock my account. I cannot use it. I cannot even send money or pay bill. They really bad for their customers. I email them and called them. They don't even help. PayPal why we work for this money but I cannot use it because of you stupid lock it.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Charging fees and wouldn't explain why, nonexistent support... transfers might work one day... might not another. When you do get to talk to someone they are rude. Not caring and absolutely garbage as far as support goes.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I bought some motorcycle parts from hyosungspares.co.uk who claim on their website to stock all parts. I paid almost £600 through PayPal for the parts and shipping to me in Portugal was free. Turns out this company is WOOCHANG in South Korea so I was landed with an unexpected 156 Euros import duty and vat because the parts were shipped from outside the European Union and not the UK as I expected since they claimed to stock all parts.

Due to the seller failing to put adequate packaging material in the box the parts became damaged during transit so I raised a claim through PayPal suggesting the seller be responsible for the import duty and vat and also to give a reasonable discount on the damaged parts which I can use but are not in perfect condition. PayPal's response to every email I send them is that the goods should be returned to South Korea at my expense (120 Euros) and I'll get a full refund of my initial payment providing the parts are in original condition, which clearly they are not since they are damaged! And even if I did get my money back I'd still be out of pocket by 276 Euros because of import duty, vat, and return shipping costs. So that's not a helpful or sensible suggestion PayPal!

I've suggested to PayPal customer services numerous times to contact the seller to discuss my reasonable compromise suggestion but they seem either unprepared to or just don't have the ability to read and understand my messages. PayPal are going to close my claim on 13 April if I have not provided them with return shipping tracking information. Go for it PayPal, hit the person who has suffered the loss. PayPal have the most ineffective, inadequate and pathetic customer services support I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Original review: April 8, 2018

They make you wait for 21 days before receiving a cleared payment then just a few minutes before it clears they shove a limitation on your account and force you to verify who you are even though you've already done that ten times in the past and have to wait another 2-3 business days for them to respond to your verification. Some of the things that they ask for as verification I don't have so now I'll probably have to wait even longer for money that was needed weeks ago. Something should be done. PayPal are nothing but shamsters and need to be properly regulated.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Sold items using PayPal, been a customer for years, they put over $1000 on hold for 21 days, buyers all got items in 2 days, put all tracking numbers on each transaction and now they all show delivered on PayPal website yet received 4 emails from PayPal telling me all 4 tracking number are invalid yet they are all 100% correct and show delivered on their own site, can't contact or email customer service either, email contact not working. I'm DONE with PayPal.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I placed an order 3/2/18. Didn’t get 75% of my order. Now Paypal says I have to return the items I did receive to get my money back for the items I didn’t receive at MY expense!!! The items I did receive were gifts and given but I have to get them back to get my money back. I filed a police report and Paypal won’t take any of the information! They are a scam!! Don’t use them.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Paypal offers a "purchase guarantee" where if a seller sends you defective/misrepresented merchandise, you will be given a refund. You just need to try to settle this with the seller, then if you are not successful, file a complaint with Paypal within 180 days of the purchase. I had proof via emails and exchanges through eBay that the seller sent faulty merchandise, did not send a replacement despite promising to, and did not give a refund despite their promise to do so and several follow-ups over a couple months.

In short, this seller is a fraud. I followed Paypal's instructions to report this. It was well within the 180 day period, and I had first taken my case to the seller (many times) and then to eBay. I followed the rules, and then some, before getting Paypal involved. Paypal decided in the seller's favor. Paypal rewarded fraudulent seller behavior and turned its back on a buyer who in good faith followed the rules and trusted Paypal to do what they claim they will do to protect buyers.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I shipped $870 worth of iPhone to a customer. They told me to ship it to a specific address, I did so, they started a case and got their money back, I was not covered even though I was suspicious and spoke to PayPal about it and was assured that I could not be scammed. I spent weeks begging them but to no avail. I got screwed!

Original review: April 4, 2018

My account was frozen due to pieces of returned mail. I was never notified and discovered the problem when trying to use the credit for professional equipment purchases when starting a new job for work in a week. Never asked me about any issues. Never told me about it. When I contacted them they couldn’t care less and required proof of who I am that I didn’t have to give to open the account initially. They are the only game in town for internet commerce so I have to use them otherwise I would sever our connection with prejudice.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I bought a $50 PayPal gift and got send an INVALID link without voucher code, just a customer service phone number and a PayPal logo! I called several times and the last time I asked for a supervisor. As I kept calmly insisting to him that the link was ALWAYS invalid and without any code HE JUST HUNG UP ON ME! How unprofessional of PayPal to treat their customers like that, they are a DISGRACE! THEY STOLE MY $50 with foul excuses!

Original review: April 4, 2018

The Resolution Department at PAYPAL is useless. Wind up with a problem with a purchase and you must immediately go to your credit card company and a get a charge back for the purchase price. Paypal will do nothing to assist the buyers. They care only about sellers. Caution -- if you file a charge back against PAYPAL for the purchase of the disputed merchandise do not agree to pay for Return Shipping Charges. PAYPAL will tell you they will reimburse you for these charges and then ignore your requests for reimbursement. This is how they get even with you for filing the charge back.

Their Customer Service Department is useless and you can never get a telephone or email contact that will assist you. Every person will refer you to the burial ground of your claim --- THE RESOLUTION CENTER. I telephoned, emailed and faxed the information they requested to support my claim for the Return Shipping Charges and every time they ignored me. No buyer needs these inept people at PAYPAL if they have a good credit card company like Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Paypal does nothing for you as a buyer. They care only about the seller.

Original review: April 3, 2018

PayPal is great as long as you don't have a problem. But I asked a seller for a refund because the item was not as described, but the seller only offered me 15% of the cost as a refund along with offering me to keep the merchandise. This was not an acceptable solution for me so I turned to PP Resolution Center. Long story short I did everything the Resolution Center asked. EVERYTHING including tracking number, pictures of my mailing label and a picture of the package itself. They not only denied my refund after a very long time to "consider it", they lied and said it was denied because I did not provide enough tracking information to find out why the seller had not received my package! WHAT??? Is that not what tracking numbers are for?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I've been with PayPal for YEARS. First started out as personal but switched to business once I started my company in 2013. Since then I've had someone hack my account which they took no responsibility for only stated "their company doesn't get hacked". Then my account has always been in good standing with them until I had one transaction return and that was a error from my client and they refused to let me use my debit card to purchase from my vendor even after the transaction cleared. They stated I needed to "add money" on my PayPal balance in order to use it which I refused to do because of getting hacked before. Mind you I have 4 other transactions that cleared find after the mishap, also screw the fact I have always had all my transactions go through with no problem.

So after being on the phone with them for over a hour and being bunch around from department to department with no one helping me, I decided to close my account and cut all business with PayPal. I've been using square for my business anyways since my account was hacked but was still using PayPal to purchase supplies from vendor, but I'll stick with Square and my bank from now on. PayPal doesn't respect client loyalty nor have any way to fix error because everything is Automatic. One thing I do as a business owner is service my clients to make sure I go above and beyond to fix any issues and offer the best service. That's why I have 5 star rating, of course you can see where PayPal rates are. Ridiculous!

Original review: March 31, 2018

On March 22, I signed up for Adobe's product and used PayPal to pay. It was supposed to be $14.99. But they charged me $14.99 two times. Why? I have emailed severally and spoken with live persons on this, their customer services in that department is so poor that they would just reply your message without looking up your account. Many times I had to start explaining all over again.

After all the efforts to reverse one of the double payment failed, I decided to cancel my subscription with Adobe since I was within the trial period. I canceled with Adobe but they only refunded one $14.99 back to me. They did not refund the second $14.99 that they charged in error. I am so so sick of communicating with them on this. I have been a customer for like 10 years and don't expect to be treated this way. I am only concern if the money involve thousands of dollar, this is how they will mess it up and be toiling with my hard earned money. I am so so ashamed of PayPal on this type of dealings.

Original review: March 31, 2018

As a disabled veteran I lost $300 on purchase on defective laptop by missing the return period limit due to being hospitalized for chemotherapy. PayPal would not consider circumstances in refusing to refund.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My PayPal account was hacked and I was unable to sign in because this person changed my password. Finally, after numerous attempts, I was able to peak into my account and saw a transaction between a Russian individual and an electronics company using my account. I have the guy's name and exact address and couldn't do anything about it. I printed out the details and tried to get a hold of PayPal without success. I was on the phone for a whole day. PayPal does not want to talk to you if your account is hacked. I started a dispute online but it didn't even give me an option for a hacked account.

I called up USPS and filed a report with them since their tracking number was on the unlawful transaction. I also filed a complaint with the FBI since stolen ID cases belong to them. Then I had to call my bank to remove PayPal's access from my account. When we personally went to the bank to make some changes they said we were the fourth customers who needed to block PayPal that day due to stolen funds. I am extremely disappointed with PayPal and do not recommend them to anybody. I am still waiting for them to contact me about my hacked account.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs