1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2411 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered an item. It took forever to arrive. It was too small, I could not give it someone else because it smelled terrible. PayPal said I had to pay for the item because I received it regardless of the odor. I also have found that several high end well known companies do not want to deal with Paypal anymore.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Regarding clothing purchase from CICILook Clothing! I wish I had taken the time to review this company before I ever purchased from them, I also want to warn everybody about using PayPal if you purchase anything online. My order was for $183.00 and the first shipment arrived with 7 of 15 items, only 2 were what I actually ordered and garbage items. I reported them to PayPal, the company asked me to remove the complaint and they would refund my money.

In checking the PayPal rules, if you remove the complaint you will never be allowed again to file on this order. I left it with PayPal to review the conversations between me and the company as it is in writing their agreement to refund my money. PayPal sent me an email informing me they ruled in the companies favor wtf, and I would be receiving no money, nor were they obligated to complete the order. So not only avoid this company, do not use PayPal, had I used a Visa I would have had a refund no problem.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I purchased an item on a webpage with an image that showed the product. What was shipped was clearly the wrong item. Seller would not respond to emails asking for correct item or refund. I initiated a claim with the PayPal resolution center. After 2 weeks, Paypal communicated that seller would refund my purchase AFTER I ship the item with tracking to BRAZIL at MY expense.

When I called the resolution center and explained that such a return shipping cannot be obtained for less than $100 and that this made no sense to do since the item cost me a total of $79 they said they would try to get the seller to provide a US address to return or a pre-paid shipping label but said they may say no in which case my only remedy was a credit card payment refusal. I don't know if they even contacted the seller but the next day my case was closed with a statement that it was decided in favor of the seller. Bottom line, PayPal allows sellers to propose nonsense resolutions that they know full well only as stupid buyer would do (pay > $100 to get $79 back). They choose to close the case rather than pursue a fair resolution. Clearly they have no interest in policing fraudulent sellers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been using PayPal for years, mainly because I believed if I had a problem with a company concerning payment, PayPal would be able to help. However when for the first time I contacted PayPal when a payment was taken and I even had an email I copied to PayPal which confirmed my order was cancelled and no payment required, PayPal were not interested and very quickly told me nothing could be done. I therefore have no reason to use PayPal anymore.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

How does PayPal turn any debit transaction into a PayPal account and call it a "guest" account? I ordered from eBay 1 time with a certain bank account. Since then, I had made numerous purchases with my PayPal account. Next I made a purchase, hit the PayPal button, and find out it got charged to this "guest" account which did not have enough money in it! So basically, they can take any form of payment, turn it into a PayPal acct. and decide whenever they want to use it? Oh, and that bank acct, was NEVER added to my PayPal account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been making monthly payments to PayPal and am not making any purchases. But It was disappointing to see that my balance has never really went down and my available credit was low. I talked to a representative and found out that I have been charged over $120 in "interest fees", since September (2018). I did make a cash advance (Sept. 2018) within my available credit and for a $75.00 money transfer, I found out that I was charged nearly $25 dollars in "fees". I read on the web page, how money transfers had a charge of $9. Where did the $25 fee come from? The customer rep that I talked to, said that the interest fees were non-negotiable and I basically have to live with it. It is not right or fair, that only $36 of my $72 monthly payment is applied to the balance. Something's got to be done about them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

PayPal restricted my account after years of having them, for "they say I filed too many cases where I didn't get my items, from sellers". I have never heard of such a thing. PayPal claims they protect your purchases, and you have the right to file a claim, when you don't receive your items. Also they were asked to completely, close my account, after I found out they still have my personal information in the account, my address, my phone number, my email, and my credit card on file.

Every time they were contacted they gave me the same song and dance, and different reps responded to several BBB complaints, giving me the same excuse, "your PayPal account is restricted permanently," and for the reason I gave, which is not right, and they won't remove the private information and close permanently, so they still have access to it. I cannot remove the stuff because they have it in there. I can't, that is not right, this company is not treating people fairly, and have many complaints against them, PayPal, Inc. 2211 North First Street San Jose CA 95131.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I made a large payment to cover promotional balances but PayPal decided to apply my payment towards other purchases instead. Leaving me with a large bill that will now be charged interest. Customer support could not do anything because it was over a month ago.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

WEBSITE USELESS with regard to getting your current account summary. When I go to my account page, it does not show the ACTUAL balances and activity, so I am forced to make phone calls to their (unhelpful) customer service reps to find out my balances. Nice reps, very sweet, but don't know (or can't tell you) anything.

The bank-to-PayPal transfers take ages, so if you need to refund money your customers will have to wait for WEEKS. The PayPal agent actually told me to tell my waiting customer that SHE should call PayPal to find out why her refund is taking so long! There is more, but you get the gist. If PayPal had any real competition, they would be out of business.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I attempted to buy a pair of shoes from what turned out to be a Chinese company and the shoe size was different from the listed size. I kept asking the company for a refund and they repeatedly attempted to get me to accept a discount for another pair of shoes. Finally after several emails, they sent me a refund address to mail the shoes to, which cost an additional 20.00 USD. I finally filed a complaint against them with Paypal since I had received no refund from them and the cut off date for filing a complaint was nearing. Paypal finally returned a decision that I had no proof of having sent the shoes back, which I clearly did. Paypal is clearly negligent in their claims about protecting the consumer and I have subsequently closed my account with them.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs