2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.31/5
Based on 2,102 ratings submitted in the last year

PayPal Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have seen some people rant and rave that certain information was needed to resolve their case. It's typically proof of delivery and things like that. I don't blame PayPal for requiring I prove an item never arrived when tracking says otherwise. As someone who runs a company and deals with the same situation, I'd say it's fair practice. Once I contacted UPS and received their delivery information and presented it to PayPal, boom! I got my refund. Keep in mind, tracking is NOT proof, request GPS location of scan, label information (could be address wrong), etc. If they made it too easy, it would be taken advantage of and buyer protection would likely no longer exist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: March 29, 2020

I made a couple of purchases through eBay. Items were under $5.00 a piece. I ended up not liking the items due to the smell of chemicals so I contacted both sellers to let them know I would be making my return of Burt's bees lip gloss product. I took the time to print out the return slips and dropped them off at my local Annex while I was out and about. To my surprise I had two charges appear on my PayPal account, each over $3.00. Roughly the same amount of what I had initially paid for each product. So not only am I out on the goods due to poor quality but I'm out the money with nothing to show for it. I would have to say that this is partially my own fault. The Sellers, neither one offered a free return policy on their item. Only free shipping but in the future, I will make certain to note that free returns are accepted.

And in addition to this, I will use a secured credit card to make any future payments instead of going through the PayPal process just to make certain that there is no issue in receiving a refund on any and all returns as other Buyers have noted. I've reached out to PayPal regarding these two transactions and will wait to see what they have to say. I'm not expected a positive result. I'm sure somewhere between all their policy disclaimers they have themselves covered. On a positive side note. In regards to sending and receiving money, I would have to say that PayPal has been a positive vehicle for me to use so I will continue to utilize this service.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I bought a poster on EBay from France. It arrived damaged. I returned the poster but the seller said he never received it. I had my customs return receipt from the post office. I filed a dispute with PayPal. I sent them my receipts and then they said they would give me my money back but kept delaying. I called them 6 times and spent hours on the phone. Finally the post office in France mailed the poster back to me because the seller refused to take it back. I called PP again and they are now refusing to reimburse me. I even emailed the corporate manager and haven’t heard from him either.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I have been trying to get my money out by wat of a check which is possible for a 1.50 fee. I sent 45 messages and all I get is BS from some stupid ** machines. You cannot talk to a person. They are great for collecting their fees from you but just try to get your money. They are the worst of the worst.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My account was blocked because I changed my phone number, there are many ways to authenticate if you actually made the changes, like Microsoft and Facebook do, like two-tier authentication, with your email and phone, but maybe it's something very complicated for your master mind, and they just freeze your account, because it's easier, and you don't care about the convenience of the customers, keeping it away from your money saying it's for your own "security" or "security", this prehistoric platform which is now falling apart under its own weight, and the stupid and rude policies they use to attack customers would end their own ruin, I highly recommend everything serious business do, abandon that rude and outdated platform and migrate to Zelle or whatever another more serious and customer-oriented platform.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I opened a PayPal account for business recently but this is the last I will use it as the experience has been appalling! It all started before the virus so do not use this as an excuse. I have a paper trail of emails back and forth and I get no answer after explaining my situation!!! The first payment from my customer which was her deposit was on hold for 21 day, when I disputed this they said it will be the first time as I am new. (I have had this as a personal account for years.) I should be trusted by now! I let it go and they released the payment.

The Customer then paid the balance and now pay pal has frozen all my account despite me using it for my business. IF you search my company you will see we are a medical aesthetic device distributor in Australia and we are one of the leading ones here today. Instead of researching you have blocked my account?? I have sent emails, invoices the customer's number and name. No one has tried to help!!! I am disgusted and appalled.

All my staff is waiting to get paid. Never once did I receive a call from you to ask any questions! NO CARE IN THE WORLD!!! My staff members have families!!! THIS IS A LEGIT TRANSACTION FROM THE SAME CUSTOMER THAT PAID HER 9K DEPOSIT that was eventually cleared!!! I can not give a shipping number nor can I give a receipt unless money is cleared, you have however got my company details and photo id!!! I will have to reverse this payment if this is not attended to IMMEDIATELY!!! The customer is extremely angry and I will not have pay pal ruin our good name!!!!

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team