2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (3401 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Paypal is extraordinary, it's not difficult to utilize and I appreciate that it's accessible on so many trader's site look at. I generally utilize that alternative when it's free, and it has set aside me cash. I requested something I'd seen on the web and never got it; took a stab at reaching the shipper twice and got no reaction either time. I put a case in on the Paypal site and after they took a stab at reaching the business I got a full discount on the buy. I like that I can have various record installment alternatives and pick assuming I need to utilize a charge or Mastercard for my buy inside the Paypal framework with a keystroke.

I likewise like having the option to return to my Paypal record and print receipts for things on the off chance that I've lost the first receipts. On the other hand, if you're a teenager without any bank cards or credit card, Paypal isn't for you. There are two reasons, first is you're below 18 years old and the last one is you cannot verify your account without bank account.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Paypal is great, it's easy to use and I like that it's available on so many merchant's website check out. I always use that option when it's available, and it has saved me money. I ordered something I'd seen online and never received it; tried contacting the merchant twice and received no response either time. I put a claim in on the Paypal website and after they tried contacting the business I received a full refund on the purchase. I like that I can have multiple account payment options and choose if I want to use a debit or credit card for my purchase within the Paypal system with a keystroke. I also like being able to go back to my Paypal account and print receipts for items if I've misplaced the original receipts.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

They need to know more information on the sellers from other countries. I recently purchased an item from a website unknowing that it was coming from China. Within a few days the seller will acknowledge your purchase and send a tracking number. No word from the seller. I Contacted PayPal within a day. They had a tracking number. When my package was delivered it was a 3"x5" envelope with a two dollar phone case. I had ordered a game system. The seller was just trying to show an item was delivered so paypal would release my payment. Buyers need to know where their products are originating from. After almost a month I was given a full refund from PayPal.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PayPal was there when I needed them, I tried with my friends & Family, & I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with no problems, I even send money to my grandson when he got married, & I was able to buy a washer yesterday with Paypal's help, Thank you, Paypal, so far I started my paypal about a year ago, and I pay under their no interest within 12 months, & I haven't had to pay any interest yet. I always make sure, I keep record of my payments, and pay before the interest is due. I'm very happy. They actually do that for you. They are a little expensive, but they are there when you need them!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

After 15 years of using PayPal, and always knowing that their guarantee was ‘in the background’ I did not have cause to call on it until dealing with an extremely disreputable firm from China. I kept PayPal in the loop, and when negotiations broke down I escalated the case to a dispute. I did EXACTLY What PayPal instructed and while the process was not without a hiccup, in the end they willingly honoured their guarantee and are providing a full refund. Thank you to all staff of the resolution Center - especially Ian. My faith in humanity has been restored. Donna

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It works great until you have to contact the resolution center. You would have to call several times to find a resolution to one problem and each conversation would be completely different than what they said last time. In my first experience, they refunded my money, after a few weeks they chargeback my credit card saying that I did not respond to their email. Why would I have to monitor my secondary email address once I got my resolution?

My second experience was I never accepted the delivery that was damaged during shipping, PayPal promises me that I will get the money back in 10 days. Next week they close the case saying that I did not respond to their email. Why do I need to respond to your email? You are the one who said you will give me the money back in 10 days. I wasted several hours trying to get my $300 back. Finally, I closed my account that I was using since 2012.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I have been using Paypal since 2019 without any issues. I usually only make 1 or 2 purchases per month. At the beginning of this month (September), Paypal suddenly and inexplicably limited my account, citing "suspicious activity detected" and demanded I submit a picture of my ID, which I did so. According to their customer support, supplying Paypal with the requested information is all you need to do to get an account limitation removed.

When I submitted my ID and waited 3 to 5 business days as they advised, I went back to the site to see if there was any change with my limitation and was confronted with a message saying "You can't use Paypal anymore" because I supposedly, "violated the User Agreement". Again, they still refused to give ANY specific reasoning, and I still have no idea what it is that I supposedly did to warrant these actions. I know I haven't done anything. I'd only made 2 transactions for the entire month of August: a donation, and a 5 euro subscription payment for a VPN that I use. I have no idea what it is that I supposedly did wrong and Paypal refuses to elaborate on what warranted their closing of my account.

If all they were doing is closing my account though, I'd have no issue with it. I can just switch to traditional banking. In fact I was planning to. That's not all they're doing though. In the same message they put on my account to notify me that it was being closed, they said that they'd be holding my funds for 180 days (6 months) before "sending instructions" to my email on how to transfer my funds off the account. This is unacceptable. I can't wait 6 months while some corporation holds my money hostage for no reason.

Once again, they have not provided any reason for why they're doing this to me. At the very least, I'm owed an explanation. This is unfair and insane. I am still in the process of trying to get my funds transferred off of my account, because I cannot wait 6 entire months for them. I don't recommend that anyone do business with Paypal. You never know when this company will suddenly decide that they want to close your account and hold your money hostage for 6 months for no real reason.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Last month I purchased Apple AirPod Pros online at a good price from a seller in NY with confidence because the vendor was PayPal approved. To summarize, the AirPod Pros were both counterfeit and defective and PayPal’s Resolution Center and PayPal’s final offer to me was that I would get my $114.98 returned to me only after I mailed the counterfeit AirPod Pros to China (?) at my expense — which would cost me between $30 to $50.

There were so many things wrong with the way PayPal handled my claim that’s it’s difficult to know where to start. In chronological order here’s what happened. Immediately upon receiving the AirPod Pros I opened the package, checked to make sure they were charged and then connected them to Bluetooth on my IPhone. Next I started checking their features. Since I was already familiar with the AirPod Pros, I knew how they should work. First I noticed that the “clicking” touch feature sounded strange and was erratic — often not working at all. Next I noticed that the noise cancellation feature did not work at all. That was one of the best features of the Pros. In the belief that I had just got a defective product, I got online and scheduled an appointment the next day at my local Apple Store.

When I took the Pros in the Apple technical first said they would probably just give me a new set and take the defective ones. He then took the Pros to verify the serial number. That’s when he discovered that they were counterfeit — not an Apple product. He suggested I return them to the seller and he gave me a copy of the work order stating that they were counterfeit.

Aware that PayPal requested that the buyer first contact the seller before filing a complaint with them, I emailed the seller in NY. I told them Apple said their product was counterfeit. The seller responded by apologizing and offering a small, partial refund if I would pay to return the product to them. There was no denial by them that the product was counterfeit. I declined. The seller responded with a second offer of 50% refund and I could keep the defective counterfeits. I declined again. The seller then responded for a third time with a response that was confusing and conflicting in its wording but clearly not acceptable.

After this third unsuccessful attempt to work with the seller, I filed a claim with PayPal’s Resolution Center. And that is where this whole affair started getting surrealistic. I had a picture in my mind of PayPal being a strong advocate of the consumer — someone I could rely on to protect me from fraudulent vendors. I pictured them to be somewhat like Amazon or WalMart in that respect. Believe me, they are not.

I found it very difficult uploading documents to attach to my claim. It took a second attempt and even then I was not sure it had all gone thru. PayPal forwarded my claim to the seller and then gave me their response — which was exactly their earlier offer that I had rejected. I was given 2 options by PayPal — to accept or decline. I declined. I wanted to upload more documents to PayPal — things I had not been able to upload earlier because of their limitation of upload volume as well as how difficult it was. There was no option by the Resolution Center to do that unless they requested it first.

Then the Resolution Center sent me an email that the seller agreed to refund me the total of $114.98 — BUT there were conditions attached. The devil is always in the detail. Even though I had purchased the product from a NY vendor and they were mailed to me from a NY address, I had to return them to China AT MY EXPENSE to one of the strangest addresses I had ever heard of. It was not a street address — more a description of a location and a full paragraph long. And until it was received and in an acceptable condition as determined by the vendor my refund would not be paid. I could see where that was going.

The Resolution Center further stated that if I didn’t comply within 10 days they would close out my claim. They left me with no other option — either comply fully and pay the expensive postage with no assurance I would ever see my original investment or give up on my claim. I already knew the vendor was selling defective counterfeit products and now I was expected to give them back their product and trust them not to lie again and allow me to get my $114.98 back. Didn’t PayPal see that the vendor was coming out of this with no loss at all and it was costing me from $30 to $50 at best? They wanted me to risk even more loss.

Now, one more observation about PayPal’s Resolution Center — after trying to work with them I am now of the opinion that their operating system is intentionally designed to benefit the seller and not the customer. My guess is that it is all structured on the dollar and what is more profitable to PayPal. I even have my doubts that there is actually a physical staff working for the Resolution Center. To me everything seems to be “canned” — their actions and responses. I could not find a single way to talk to a live person or to exchange emails with a live human being. Their online chat is clearly with a machine because often its responses are not even relevant.

I will probably never know if PayPal agreed with me that the vendor was selling defective and counterfeit Apple products and they just didn’t care. I won’t know if anyone at PayPal actually looked at the Apple work order I sent them that clearly stated the product was counterfeit or looked at the photo of the vendor’s webpage claiming they were selling the AirPod Pros to me as legitimate Apple products. But regardless, PayPal decided I should be the one to suffer a loss and not their vendor.

Wendell

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

PayPal withdrew funds from my bank account without my authorization and their response is that it is not their problem and I will get my money back when I get my money back. They blame the consumer. Take no responsibility and their response to asking how this even happened was 'we don't know'. I have contacted my bank, PayPal and the BBB to try and get this resolved - they have the worst customer service.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Thought I was on a legitimate Makita site (**) buying tools. I check out and transferred to PayPal. Click on pay and the amount is for 99.00 instead of the original amount. No item description and the seller, turns out has an email that is connected with the dark web. (**). Paypal was less than helpful if not non existent. Lesson here is Paypal does NOT check up on their sellers and you can be scammed with little care from Paypal. Good luck even talking with a human as that is the only way you will ever be able to have at least a conversation about resolve. Otherwise it's just generic prompts that don't take you anywhere. I have cancelled my accounts and will never use their services again as they do not care about your security in the slightest.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

PayPal Company Information