1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2219 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Paid for something, never got it. No consistent reply by merchant. Went to PayPal as I had used them to be protected. Every 1-2 months PayPal advises that, they have proof that package was sent and delivered therefore claim rejected. Keep insisting that have not received it, please let me know at least courier company, track number, phone number of shipment company, something to contact them at least. NO REPLY from PayPal, just the same reply "we have proof" as if it was a state secret!! Have lost my money!! Thank you PayPal. Never again. They are awful and made me also lose some 15 hours in total explaining to them and sending them e mails with no result. A bad company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Attempting to send a family member money for an overnight emergency turned out to be a $600+ problem. I attempted to send my sister money via PayPal for an emergency. Turns out, you don't have an option as to how your money is sent after you click "send". I tried this and immediately found out it was going to be processed as an "echeck" transaction instead of an immediate transfer. I immediately contacted PayPal customer service to cancel the payment as we were going to attempt a different transaction to get her money sooner than the 3-5 business days they told me would it would take for her to receive these funds. They told me they cannot cancel this transaction as it is an echeck transaction. I informed them I didn't choose this option, that's just how it was processed. They said I would have to contact my bank to stop the payment (and of course incur stop payment fees from my financial institution).

I contacted my bank who proceeded to tell me they cannot stop an echeck transaction as they have no idea what check number to "stop" because it could be presented to them any number of ways...so back to PayPal I go. I was literally told I would have to wait 3-5 days for the money to be sent to my sister...she has to refuse the funds...and ANOTHER 3-5 days for it to be sent back to me. So, this morning all the money I sent her is no longer in my account...and it still shows a pending transaction to her so she has not received the funds either. So there is no way for me to get her the help she needed, my funds are gone and she has nothing.

The 3 different service reps I spoke to at PayPal all gave me different information, I was told no supervisor/manager was available to speak to, that I would have to wait up to 24 hours for a call-back from anyone and yet my money is gone. Please, if you EVER have to use a money transfer service, do yourself the favor and SEARCH ELSEWHERE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I do not know what to do. Someone paid money into my PayPal account. Now when I want to log in all of a sudden there is security issue. Now they want to send a code to my number but the number they have of me is not correct. Their landlines does not work. I have tried phoning them from South Africa. I did complain on their Facebook page but they said sorry I must just keep try phoning. You cannot email them because you need to log in.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I sold a phone on Ebay in perfect working order. After 3 weeks the buyer filed a claim against me on PayPal. They stated the phone wasn’t as described. I sent my response to PayPal stating a description and photos of the phone in perfect condition. After just a couple days, PayPal decided in favor of the buyer with no evidence to support at all. The next step was for the buyer to ship the phone back to me. After a few days I noticed I never received it. I contacted UPS and they ran the tracking number and it showed the buyer shipped it to someone else’s name and address. After appealing with PayPal for two weeks now, with this proof, they still decide in favor of the buyer. I'm not sure what to do next to win the appeal in my favor. I've been calling daily, but now when I call it sends me to their collections department. This is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. After this is resolved, I will never do business with Ebay or PayPal ever again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I sold my website at flippa.com. I transferred site to the buyer, after 3 months later buyer open case, about unauthorized, and I had 100% proof of transferring site to the buyer, Godaddy, Flippa, even he had chat in Skype and WhatsApp, with all these Paypal win case to buyer. You these scam buyer have the site worth 3400 and 3400 extra, he got the site for free, so I decide to never use PayPal again. if you read these don't every business in Paypal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

PayPal: you win the award for the absolute worst customer service I personally have ever experienced. This is the second time in 5 years that my PayPal account has been hacked. Both times your customer's service was bottom of the pile compared to my banks and credit card companies and eBay and Apple! Literally you shouldn’t be such a monopoly and in business! Finding 11 fraudulent transactions on my account on Sunday I struggled to find your customer service number, got through to someone in Philippines or wherever who mindlessly started processing claims on each one (I was on hold for 28 minutes) then at the end informed me “well we can’t take any action as it’s up to your merchant so you’re better off calling them”. Ridiculous.

When I called back the next day I spoke to the rudest woman I’ve ever seen in such a job and she too was in some offshore call centre who clearly in the wrong job! Disgraceful. I will be sure to let people know they cannot trust you and that there is a crying need in your industry for a better company that can be trusted and values customer opinion! Interesting that there isn’t a review section on your FB page...we both know what that would look like!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I sold a shirt in August, it's now September and PayPal has refunded the money to the buyer from an eBay sale! First buyer said didnt receive item... from almost 4 months ago. I provided the tracking number. Buyer thought I would not have the tracking number from so long ago and they'd get the money back. So when that didn't work the buyer claims the item wasn't described correctly. Buyer has NEVER contacted me once! Now I have to take back the item from the buyer 4 months later! It's ridiculous! Paypal took the money from my account and gave it to the buyer and I get back a used item and there's nothing that I can do!!! No more PayPal for me, sellers have NO protection against scams like this. Where else can you buy an item, clothing no less then get a FULL refund months later. I don't want it back now. I'm furious!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I’m so fed up with PayPal. First they put $200 of my money on hold and now my account is closed and I cannot have my money for another 180 days. I cannot stand this company and I will make friends and family aware of the horrid service PayPal provides.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Paypal is not fully available to resolve matters. They charge you fees for what they wish, hold up transfers with no explanation, give you long wait times and are not available on weekends. Basically, they hold up your money, success and kill your time. They are incompetent. I prefer other transfer services that are more capable to take care of a customer's needs and the volume that are simple, quick and easy. PayPal is a failure. Your business will waste more time speaking to an outsourced department that drag the issues on rather than resolving them. They also expose way too much personal information regarding your name which should be optional to be private, especially if you have a professional name. This service is ancient compared to the others and I am so fed up, I use Zelle which is much more efficient.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I purchased a product for 39$ from a China vendor that sent me something very different. PaypPal protection only offers me to send it back to China to recover my funds. This would be more expensive than the price I paid for the product. Vendors know this and Paypal plays along.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs