2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (2784 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Paypal is great, it's easy to use and I like that it's available on so many merchant's website check out. I always use that option when it's available, and it has saved me money. I ordered something I'd seen online and never received it; tried contacting the merchant twice and received no response either time. I put a claim in on the Paypal website and after they tried contacting the business I received a full refund on the purchase. I like that I can have multiple account payment options and choose if I want to use a debit or credit card for my purchase within the Paypal system with a keystroke. I also like being able to go back to my Paypal account and print receipts for items if I've misplaced the original receipts.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

They need to know more information on the sellers from other countries. I recently purchased an item from a website unknowing that it was coming from China. Within a few days the seller will acknowledge your purchase and send a tracking number. No word from the seller. I Contacted PayPal within a day. They had a tracking number. When my package was delivered it was a 3"x5" envelope with a two dollar phone case. I had ordered a game system. The seller was just trying to show an item was delivered so paypal would release my payment. Buyers need to know where their products are originating from. After almost a month I was given a full refund from PayPal.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

PayPal was there when I needed them, I tried with my friends & Family, & I was able to accomplish what I needed to do with no problems, I even send money to my grandson when he got married, & I was able to buy a washer yesterday with Paypal's help, Thank you, Paypal, so far I started my paypal about a year ago, and I pay under their no interest within 12 months, & I haven't had to pay any interest yet. I always make sure, I keep record of my payments, and pay before the interest is due. I'm very happy. They actually do that for you. They are a little expensive, but they are there when you need them!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I like PayPal because I can have my own personal PayPal.me address that is easy to send to people. I've never really had an issue using PayPal and it's an accepted form of payment on many websites, unlike other $ transfer services. The only downside is that when it comes to transferring $ between friends and family, Venmo and Cash App have become more popular in some circles. Idk why, PayPal is great. They also assist you in disputing a charge if you fell for a fraud or something like that on a website that accepted PayPal.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

After 15 years of using PayPal, and always knowing that their guarantee was ‘in the background’ I did not have cause to call on it until dealing with an extremely disreputable firm from China. I kept PayPal in the loop, and when negotiations broke down I escalated the case to a dispute. I did EXACTLY What PayPal instructed and while the process was not without a hiccup, in the end they willingly honoured their guarantee and are providing a full refund. Thank you to all staff of the resolution Center - especially Ian. My faith in humanity has been restored. Donna

Original review: July 25, 2021

Paid using PayPal and item never received. PayPal denied claim because tracking information said delivered. Funny thing, I forwarded with my claim my Nest porch cam pics showing nothing delivered at time tracking shows. Also tracking had no address on it so could have been sent anywhere. Case #: **

Original review: July 25, 2021

Paypal allows money that you have supposedly received in your Paypal account to be disregarded so they can steal from whatever account you provide. Was only trying to fix someone else's mistake like an honest human being would and it cost fifty dollars.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Paypal does NOT guarantee purchases. And, there’s no telephone number for customer service. They don’t care about their customers. Been with them nearly 20 years but I’m done with this new way of doing business.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I am a web designer and copywriter. I don't deal with anything illegal and have been in business for over 1 year. Never had trouble with any other payment service.

I decided to use Paypal because so many use it. But to my surprise, my account was withheld and money withheld. They did not allow me to remove my bank account info or close my account. This is really terrible service. I would not recommend Paypal to anyone. DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR YOUR BUSINESS!!! When asked why they refused to give me a reason. Apparently, this is common practice. FREELANCER BEWARE!

Original review: July 18, 2021

I sent $40 to a person using my PayPal account. As soon as I sent it I realized that I used the wrong card. I sent it with my credit card and intended to use my debit card. I immediately contacted Paypal and the person I sent the money to. Paypal assured me that the money would post back on my account within 24 hours because it was still Pending. They verified that the sender had initiated the refund immediately. 24 hours later the transaction Posted to PayPal's account.

I contacted PayPal. First they told me they were waiting on the person's bank who I sent the money to to initiate the refund. The person who I sent the money to has no linked bank account and never sent the money to their bank. I informed PayPal of this. (I contacted Paypal VIA their messenger. I copied the whole conversations with every customer service rep. I wanted a written record of our conversations). Then PayPal said that the money would be refunded to my cash account. That never happened. Then they said they were waiting on the person I sent the money to to initiate a refund. I informed them the person already initiated the refund 2 days prior. Then they said that I had already been refunded to my cash account.

I informed them that my cash account had a $0 balance. Then they said they were waiting on the bank to refund the money. I again informed them that the bank never receive the money because the sender never sent the money to a bank. Then they said the money would be refunded back to my credit card. A couple of days later I checked with my bank. They said they have not received anything from PayPal. I contact PayPal again. This time they tell me again that they are waiting on the person I sent the money to to initiate a refund. I informed them that the person already initiated the refund. Then they told me that they had definitely sent the refund to my bank and I should have it back on my card in 5 to 7 business days. They even gave me the transaction number.

7 days later my bank still has not received anything from Paypal. I contact PayPal again. This time they tell me the refund was canceled because the person whom I sent the money to bank has not sent the money back yet. I told Paypal I was going to copy our conversations. PayPal lied to me numerous times and stole from me. It is a pitiful shame when a multi-million dollar corporation has to steal $40. If I am able to upload the conversation I will. I will omit the person's name I sent the money to and refer to them as PS for their privacy.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team