1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2350 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

After selling an item on eBay the buyer paid via PayPal. I received the money fine and had no issue in the first couple of days. When I went to use the funds to make a purchase (I have been using PayPal for 14 years as a buyer) the money had vanished. I contacted PayPal who advised it was because my email wasn’t registered - first lie. All of a sudden the money appeared back in my account though it was on hold. I called back and was advised to release the money the tracking information needed to be updated - 2nd lie. The buyer had received the item 5 days prior.

I uploaded the information and my money was still not available. Then PayPal advised me it was eBay’s fault and they had a hold on the money and needed to confirm the item had been delivered. I contacted eBay. They sent me in writing confirmation that this was not true and the funds were not being held by eBay. I complained on Facebook to get my funds returned. PayPal deleted my comments and blocked me. I sent through all the proof they requested to prove the buyer had the item and it had been safely delivered and there was no dispute.

They still refuse to give me MY money. I’ve since read their terms and conditions which states they also use our funds to earn interest - no wonder they are holding my money. I’ve contacted the financial ombudsman but unfortunately it takes 21 days for assistance to be provided. Hopefully I get my money one day. Beware! Do not use PayPal! Their customer service is disgusting and they claim to have no complaints process.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Their customer service is not only not helping you, but also abusing you. They should really retrain their customer service in all the departments. They were talked over me again again, hanged out your phone, super impatience, not reliable, and hanged you there to wait. I had learned my lesson that should not use this service by costing me lots of money because their mistakes. Stay away from PayPal.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Very unprofessional customer support and misleading information about payment process. Agent was rude and did not answer my question when I asked about my money that never been transferred after 5 days. Asked for the transcript of my conversation so I could escalate the issue and never received anything back. From my personal bad experience, I don't not recommend PayPal to anyone as I still do not have my money transferred to my account.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I recently purchased a PayPal prepaid Mastercard attempted a purchase through Newegg.com. The order was canceled and now PayPal will not release my money from the pending transaction that was canceled!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had a terrible experience. I tried login into my account and It asked for three forms of verification to get access into my account (email verification, driver's license and phone verification ). I verified my email and identity but couldn't verify the phone number because I have a new phone number. So I called and the customer service is rude and can't help me recover my account. My PayPal account balance will automatically go to PayPal. That's theft and Money lost. Please don't be a victim to this hidden fraud.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have had a PayPal account for more than 10 years. During that time I have maybe managed to use it 5 times. Every time I attempt to link a bank account it tells me some stupid error, try again later. I get so frustrated I usually give up and find an alternative method of making or receiving payments. You would think by now PayPal would have it figured out.

It also refuses to let me delete my old telephone numbers. Then, for " security" purposes it wants to send me a verification text. It gives me an option to choose to receive the code from 3 of my old telephone numbers, but not my current (primary) number. Duh! How can I receive a text on a phone number that is no longer issued to me! I have a diploma in computer programming and taught myself Visual Basic. Don't their programmers test and debug their programs before they publish them. Sloppy, lazy and/or inept. Whichever it is, the final result is the same: a program that doesn't work properly. And an unhappy customer.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

My business account (Merchant Account) was placed into limited access because I had changed the slightest piece of information in my own personal settings. When I tried to access the account I was unable to utilize my credit card. I was only permitted to change my name, email address, and delete a phone number. Both my addresses in my account are PO Boxes for obvious reasons such as doing business online. The PO Box has been in place for 10 years or more to avoid any identity theft issues from a public access mailbox.

So, they tell me to send a copy of my identification (driver's license) which I did. I was also asked to send a photo of a utility bill, which I did. Keep in mind that the utility bill has the mailing address (PO Box) and the service address (Residence) on it. They repeatedly denied the bill making claims that it was not legible. I have sent it now at least six times, with a closer depiction so the blind can read it. I still get denied!

Ironically they get caught in their own lies. They tell me that they need my utility bills with my physical address which is on my account. Funny, both my mailing address and physical address have been for the last several years on my PayPal account(s), the PO BOX alone. It is listed in my account page. Talk about STUPID people! They give no meaning to the term itself.

I have sent numerous emails, comments on the website to no avail. They continue to deny me access to the account, except for the ones I mentioned above (Address, Email, phone number alterations). Oh by the way, you can even enter new bank information or card information. I did that early on, added a new card. Amazingly it had my own name, the same name on my account! Imagine that people!! So, now they refuse to allow me access to the CLOSE ACCOUNT TAB or to allow me to close my banking information. These people HOLD YOU HOSTAGE as much as they can. I recommend avoid PayPal and using an alternative Merchant account service. These people are thugs and think they hold power over you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Not experienced people at all. Rude all the time on the phone. Recently got a transfer fund from my employer. Took a whole week for the money to be posted and now they won't let me get any of the funds no matter any way I try to transfer or cash it. WTF Paypal. Never ever would get a transfer or business with you again... What a nightmare Paypal and the personnel turn out to be...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased a PayPal reader through my PayPal online account, followed their 4 step instructions prior to purchase. When the reader arrived it would not connect and now displays as "Damage to reader detected. Contact PayPal for assistance". I have never been able to use this reader and it is in mint condition. PayPal apologised for my reader being damaged but would not fix or refund my money or offer a solution to me for having a dud piece of PayPal equipment. A number of times the PayPal staff member remained silent and did not speak. I thought they had very poor communication and public relation skills and did nothing to resolve the issue of a faulty PayPal reader I had purchased through their online account. A contradiction coming from a company that claims to be protection for online purchases. I will rethink using PayPal or recommending them to my customers.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Have used PayPal for over a decade with no problems. On the 17th of this month I had 4 transactions put through my bank account for over $300. My credit card is clearly on file for all transactions. Was able to get someone on the phone who said it was an "internal security issue" whatever that means. He couldn't explain what happen. His only suggestion was to remove my bank account which I attempted to do only to get a message that they couldn't do that because something was processing. I was supposed to be transferred to security but after 20 minutes on hold I hung up. Second call 20 minutes to be told it looks like some kind of a bug. No help really. So I guess I will remove my bank account (I think everybody should and only put it there when you have something to sell). And may not use PayPal in the future even though it has been convenient.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs