1.09/5

2557 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

We are a Chamber of Commerce. We received notice of a dispute of a charge a few months ago. We had already mailed a refund check to the person who filed the complaint (She had registered and then cancelled her registration for an event). As mentioned, we mailed a check for the refund. In the meantime, she was refunded through PayPal despite our notifying them that we had mailed a check. We routinely move payments from PayPal to our bank and had a zero balance. PayPal then charged us a fee (either for refunding the woman or for the then negative balance).

We have explained to PayPal numerous times that we do not feel that we should have been charged as the refund through PayPal had never been issued. They explained that the woman's bank had refunded her and it then was processed through PayPal. This concerns me that refunds are issued without consulting the merchant.

Our account has since been deactivated. I contacted them, which took multiple phone calls to an automated system that simply put me in a loop; tried contacting them via Facebook, and finally tried emailing. When I received a response, it was to call. We have received notification through Wordpress that multiple payments have been made through PayPal, which I understand those payments are now in limbo, and will not be credited to our account until we pay the money which we do not feel we owe (the payments in limbo would more than cover the money PayPal says we owe). This is absolutely ridiculous. It frightens me that people are being refunded with no regard to the merchant. I understand that they are a business and their objective is to make a profit, but I know of no other legitimate business operating in this fashion.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Bought item, sizing was so far off, it was a joke. Processed a return to find out the company, Massive Sl would not pay for return shipping even to exchange item. Post office wanted about 85% of the purchase price in shipping it back with a tracking number. So an item that costs $40 was going to cost me $34. According to PayPal... It required a tracking number. I brought this to PayPal's attention but they did not want to deal with it or the Seller. I also brought to their attention, they are protecting Sellers that are using a loophole for fraud. They have nothing to lose. Have started the process of deleting PayPal with all transactions. I don't trust them and will not in the future. Buyer Beware in any transaction with PayPal. Etransfer for me now.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Very difficult to deal with or contact. They pay no attention to any fraud or misrepresentation of who they accept as clients. Don't think you are protected for one minute by using PayPal to pay for anything. All they care about is closing cases.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I purchased a product online using PayPal. The product was defective, the seller refused to take it back. I contacted PayPal and they opened a case, the seller then agreed to refund my card if I returned the product. I had a few days to provide a tracking number. I shipped the item back. I went on the PayPal site to submit my tracking number, it was down. I tried multiple more times and finally I emailed them the tracking number. They sent me an email confirmation that they updated my case with the number. A few days later I received an email that my claim was denied for not providing a tracking number.

I immediately went on their site and again I couldn't get past the first step. It's kept saying they were experiencing an issue. I emailed again and no response. I sent another email each time forwarding my confirmation that the tracking number was received. Still no response. Now I am out about 100 for the product and 15 for shipping. I will never use this service again. They have absolutely no customer support.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I'm a seller and two of my buyers sent me money for my services of which I had already done for them and they paid me through my PayPal account and then turned around and requested their money back but the problem was that the people who they asked to send the money to me I didn't know them and didn't work with them at all. They were just helping out my buyers of whom didn't have a way to pay me and then the friends of my buyers turned around then requested the money back from me and this happened to me twice and I ended up losing all of my money because of it.

So not only did I completed my work for them but they got their money back and I got nothing and so I did work for free and then left my account in the negative. When I asked my buyers they tell me that someone's playing tricks on me and my money wasn't taken by them. And now my account's in the negative because of this. I can't make any money this way. PayPal is known only for the scammers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: April 24, 2019

Apr 24, 2019, 7:57 AM - Why does it take five days to transfer funds into my account? I tried to research this issue on your website, and I was sent to your help page. I don't need to see the issues that PayPal is giving to all it customers. I need help with my problem. Why do you hide your contact information from your customers. I am not calling your 1-800 and being transfer to India. I contact them through the contact page and the robot answered and told me that It didn't understand and pointed toward the help pages.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Have used PayPal Here for 5 years to process my onsite customer purchases. The past 6 weeks my reader keeps freezing when it comes time to process the payment, while the card is placed inside my reader. It spins and spins and says "processing" and it never finishes the transaction. Then I have to cancel it and manually enter the credit card information, which PayPal charges me more to do. Their technical support and customer service were WORTHLESS and completely unable and/or unwilling to solve the problem. Very disappointed as this has been working so well for the past 5 years.

Original review: April 23, 2019

It's been more than 6 weeks now and I am still getting the run around about my refund. I order this Pool Table Cover on March 13, 2019. It was supposed to arrive the next week, I got an email saying that the packaged was delivered on Saturday, March 16th which I was home at my apartment and did not see a FedEx truck all day; also I did not get a packaged. When I call eBay CSR about the problem on the same day that I didn't get the package. eBay transferred me to PayPal CSR which I followed all of their instructions on making a claim and contacting FedEx SmartPost management about Investigating the tracking number to see if this item had been delivered; which FedEx concluded that they were unable to locate the Parcel and I needed to contact the Seller to have them to resend the parcel or refund my payment.

No one is listening to me about helping to solve my problem. I keep getting the runaround about my refund. Everyone is saying the package was delivered but FedEx has no account of it. I'm going to continue my complaints every day until I get my money. I AM VERY DisSATISFIED with PayPal, FedEx, & the Seller... what more evidence do a person needed to get his money back. Call FedEx and Investigate who's stealing the packages. I didn't get it.

Original review: April 23, 2019

PayPal has one of the worst customer service and questionable (illegal business practices there is). I have been trying to receive a refund that the merchant has sent over twice to PayPal, and PayPal has accepted the refund placing it in a dead and closed old account not even related to the transaction. I have notified the merchant 3 times telling them to refund me directly, since PayPal is screwing up the refund. The merchant has not replied yet. It has been back and forth with PayPal and the merchant now for over 60 days. This is damned ridiculous and purposely organized between the two with PayPal being the worst. I will be filing a case in small claims court.

Original review: April 23, 2019

PayPal limited my account and forced me to re-supply proof of my address. I did so. But the account limitation was not removed. My repeated requests are not responded to (by a human). This has derailed my eBay sales. If you rely on online sales, beware. PayPal can restrict your account and destroy your livelihood. There is no way to resolve this.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs