2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: July 8, 2020

My 15 year old daughter opened a PayPal account without my knowledge and was subsequently hacked by someone. She tried to resolved on her own but PayPal has no live phone customer service right now and she was not getting any messages returned after opening a new account as she could not get into her other account that was hacked to send a message in Message Center. I intervened using my account and they told me it had to be my daughter contacting them and not me. She finally tried again to message someone after I complained and she was told that email account would be deactivated. Then June 21, 2020. Paypal emailed her saying this hacker was trying to get access to her account again.

She sent a message to PayPal again with NO response. Then she started getting transactions as this hacker was given access to this account again. I messaged PayPal again with the same response that my daugher had to deal with this. I am complaining that PayPal needs to have a POLICY that does not let a minor child open an account without it linked to a parent account as my child is unable to naviagate through these issues on her own. I am very disappointed in PAYPAL and warn ALL parents to NOT let their children open up any accounts with PAYPAL. To this day, I am still not getting a live person to deal with my daughter's account and have even twice now emailed the CORPORATE office to complain with NO response.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I notified PayPal that a purchase I made was a scam while the purchase was still pending. They wouldn't stop the payment. They then went to the company & believed the bogus information the company gave them. When I gave them PROOF that the company was lying, they demanded more proof, saying the bogus company had given them more bogus info. The USPS sent them an email, as per THEIR request, telling them no package was delivered to me and they are STILL refusing to refund my money or even help me get it back from the bogus company. They are also getting rude in their replies to my messages. I have talked to a different person via "chat" every time and they won't give me a phone number to talk to a human being. I am out $99.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I made a purchase, was sent confirmation of the delivery w/ tracking number. Never received the merchandise. Go to USPS, they said the tracking number is a good number, but not for MY order. They said this is how the scammers work. He could not give me much info but he gave me his card and said to have Paypal reach out to him and he would confirm the tracking # given did not match my address. I had one rep from Paypal say that he would call. In conversation with another rep, they said they do not make calls. Well they would not call him, or email him and they said since I had a tracking number and it showed delivered, there was nothing else they could do and closed the claim. I asked them to verify the shipper's address, they gave me the address of Yen hung, Yen Dinh, THANH HÓA 440000 VN. Does that seriously look like a legit address.

They have done nothing to honor their guarantee that they will protect against scammers OR that they would verify the ship to address when a packages says delivered. They have done nothing on their end to protect me. I will never use them again and honestly, I think they are a big part of the scams that go on. The USPS says this happens ALL the time and who would have better access to tracking numbers than Paypal.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Recently set up a PayPal account for my online business. I noticed my first payment was credited to an account that is not my account. When I raised the issue they got back to me saying that the funds returned and charged me for the return. When I ask them how they credited to a non-existent account and charged me for the return. They just said I would have added the account. The bigger issue is that PayPal says they don't verify all accounts added by users. That is a big security concern!!! It took me several days of back and forth with PayPal to get them to agree this is an issue but they can't do anything about it because of their Policies. So their policy is to stick it to the customer!!! I have saved the entire conversation and planning to go to media with this!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I made a purchase to a site on March 16 with PayPal as a guest. The seller never gave me an email with tracking information. The next day, the site that I had ordered from, was gone. I waited two weeks and then contacted PayPal about the issue. After a week, I finally got help from a representative at PayPal who helped me open a dispute for an item that had not yet arrived. The seller contacted them back immediately even though they ignored my emails. They finally provided tracking information that I had trouble utilizing. The period for missing items is 20 days, PayPal gave them 40 days.

On May 1, I finally got my package only to find it was an off-brand of what I ordered. I was lied to and scammed. There is no way what I ordered was worth $45.80. What I received was not what was described in the photos or description of the product. I first contacted the seller and then I contacted PayPal. PayPal answered first, asking me for information about the situation and changing my dispute from not arrived to significantly not as described. The seller then also asked for information about the package. They tried to get me to deal with a partial refund and I keep the package. They first offered me 10% of what I originally paid, which is like $5, then they went up to 30% and said that was the highest they were willing to go. I rejected their offer. Then PayPal messaged me stating that I was offered a refund for a dissatisfied item, like they forgot this company scammed me.

In order to get the refund, I needed to return the item. I was responsible for the shipping cost. They gave me about two weeks, but never gave me an address. I contacted the seller for an address; they ignored me. I contacted PayPal; it took them almost a whole week. They finally gave me an address and I had a week to send the package back. I had to send it back to Hong Kong. The lowest price I could get was $70. I tried to get into contact with PayPal but their site was experiencing issues (note that I was only able to contact PayPal through a messaging app on their site because they cancelled their phone lines due to the virus).

On June 7, they sent me an email denying my case. I tried speaking with a representative to tell them my issue. After about 9 hours, they contacted me back explaining that there was nothing that could be done. I missed the deadline, they cancelled the case, and they could no longer reopen the case due to their polices. The seller's name is SHENZHEN SOWEWAY INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS CO.,LIMITED. They are a scammer; an advent scammer if you read their reviews on PayPal. AND PayPal supports them. Be careful! PayPal supports scammers!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I was so surprised to read so many bad reviews everywhere about Pay Pal! Honestly, for some reason, I always thought they are pretty cool. This month was really crappy, because I made a purchase in a scam web store twice! I filed in two disputes which turned by myself really quickly to the claims. First seller didn't want to reimburse the full price (I bought a dress for 51$ with shipping and they want to return only 17$ after I will ship them an item). After I said no to this, they didn't want to give their return address in English. The other seller was especially ridiculous. They put lots of items on their website and after you purchase it, you'll never get an e-mail notification, tracking number or anything. Literally you are just sending someone money on their PayPal buying fake stuff. Both of this purchases where reimbursed for me with Pay Pal in full amount. Yes, I called 3 times to them and the last operator whom I talked with solved that in 1 day, after I was waiting almost 3 weeks. So, I am here to write that help is possible. And I've heard: "We are doing that to appreciate you are a Pay Pal client, ma'am." Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have used Paypal for many years for purchasing goods over the web. I had a complaint against Glencara Irish Jewelry, Galway who never sent me the goods I ordered (many hundreds of people have suffered the same!!). I ordered jewelry in November 2019 for my family for Christmas and when it did not arrive and I was getting the run around from Glencara I had to buy more jewelry to replace it. Everything was purchased through Paypal. I contacted Paypal on 30th December 2019 and they upheld my complaint. Within a couple of days my money had been refunded in full and transferred to my bank account. I cannot speak more highly of Paypal I have always had a good experience with them. Thank you so much Paypal.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Paypal makes it easy to dispute charges. I had an iTunes recurring subscription which iTunes refused to refund even though I canceled the same day it renewed and I never continued using the app. I disputed with Paypal (super easy to do online), they investigated, kept me updated and less than a month later ruled in my favor. Very happy with all experiences I've had with Paypal especially this one.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I know other customers aren't pleased with PayPal, but they've always treated me with respect, honesty, and great customer service. I've never used any other of PayPal's departments so I can't review them, but the online shopping verification process that I use to purchase items online from other companies is in my opinion absolutely great. I've not had a big problem other than a website who used PayPal to get payments. This company ripped me off, and PayPal took care of that problem. They refunded my money and I hope they went after this website for their terrible service and lying. But when I went to PayPal and explained what this website had done PayPal processed a refund for me. PayPal has always treated me right. I don't know why other people state in their reviews negative things and I don't care, I just know what PayPal has done for me and I'll definitely keep using them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Would have given them no stars if possible. Indian call centre. All they do is send you generic answers and do not actually read what your concern is. 30 minute call the first time and told it was being sorted, told I would get an e-mail once it had been fixed by the technical team. 2nd phone call 40 minutes (on hold most of the time). Eventually got through to a manager. What a joke he was. If he's a manger then I am Boris Johnson. Absolutely fuming. PAYPAL get a grip and employe people who are trained to do the job.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team