1.06/5
Based on 426 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

PayPal

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

1812 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I'm not going to go into in depth detail of my PayPal dispute, just know it was clearly a scam. You could just look at the claim and anyone would know. Broken English, stating I sold him an item 6 months ago and it never arrived when I had never sold anything to this person. My only options to provide evidence against the claim was to either refund, or provide tracking information. I promptly contacted PayPal explaining all of this and they sent me a canned response stating in order to prove I sent the item I must provide tracking information, completely ignoring everything I had said. Once PayPal had decided I never shipped the item that never existed for a payment 6 months ago, they promptly set my balance negative. I should note that this person didn't need to provide any information like what product they bought from me, where, when, or any information other than one sentence that was barely readable (2 separate claims same sentence).

Because I shop online a good amount I needed to remove the negative balance so I added funds from my bank account. 6 days later my account is still negative, even though the funds had been taken from my bank the first day. To make things even more outrageous, I received an email from PayPal saying if I do not add funds I will be taken to collections all the while they are taking their time moving my money. I spend thousands of dollars a year on PayPal, the model client and I'm treated like absolute dirt. I've been scammed for eBay claims in the past, but I don't hold that against them, they could have been hard to tell who was telling the truth. But this time it was so black and white I had figured they would finally have my back. I was wrong, and couldn't be any more disappointed with the customer service or the system in general.

If you're a scammer, use PayPal. It will be very easy for you to get your way. To everyone else I highly recommend using a different service. PayPal isn't the only game in town anymore and there are plenty of companies that will actually take the time to stop you from getting scammed. It almost seems like PayPal promotes fraud the way they conduct business.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Made a purchase in the sum of $201.00 in December, 2017. After more than a month, I filed a complaint with PayPal. After waiting for PayPal to respond, filed another complaint and PayPal canceled my complaint. Finally contacted PayPal by phone and they said there was nothing they could do and I should contact the credit card company to dispute my claim.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I purchased a dress around Rs 3000 from Brazilian site after confirming twice about the dress availability with the seller in the message centre & email. The dress I received was sooo cheap & entirely different from the dress I ordered costing only Rs 200 displayed on package & that too sent from China (not Brazil). When I contacted PayPal, after certain time limit completion period the case was declared in my favour as being eligible for refund provided I return the dress bearing my own shipping charges which was again around Rs 3000 i.e. can say at par with the dress price.

Why should I bear return shipping charges for the fraud of the seller. In spite of explaining them every detail of seller's fraud & my twice confirmation with the seller about the dress availability on email records, they didn't ask me for any proofs, records as if they didn't want to investigate or review anything. They directly closed the case declaring it in seller's favour. It shows that the PayPal is merged with the seller in doing such fraudulent transactions. There is a scope left by the PayPal purposely for carrying out such fraudulent transactions in the name of the item doesn't match its description. PayPal are very well aware that when the return shipping charges is more than or at par with the dress, the buyer will have no other option. There are tons of such transactions carried out. PayPal is a scam.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Purchased item online using PayPal, believing it was a secure transaction. When I received item, it was not item I bought plus item received was broken. PayPal was NO HELP!! In making it right. After filing claim, numerous calls, I was given the run around by them with no resolution!! They suck!! Do not use them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Reason for using PayPal was to avoid being taken advantage of by scammers. Made a purchase in early December from "Loosely Support" for a small handbag and a pricier knitted blanket. After many email request the small handbag was delivered early February but no blanket. Established a dispute with PayPal only to be told the company provided proof of delivery with a tracking #. Yes, there was a delivery and a tracking # for the handbag but no blanket. Paypal wants proof I did not receive the blanket...how exactly do I prove I did not receive something? Very slick of Loosely Support to provide tracking # and delivery for cheap item and say it was full order. So, there is NO fraud protection by using PayPal. More disappointed in PayPal than fraudulent company and will no longer be using their "services".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

After two emails and one telephone call to PayPal regarding a transaction I decided to make a complaint online which takes a considerable amount of time. However at the end of the complaint procedure PayPal asks for your details (name/email etc.) but also asks for a SIGNATURE which I can't do online. A complete waste of time to gather the facts and compose my complaint only to be told at the end that I need to add a signature. I'm already with DocuSign, but PayPal's place for the signature doesn't respond to the mouse so I'm unable to add my DocuSign signature and send my complaint. A great way for Paypal to ensure that online users are unable to lodge their complaints!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I had an unauthorized subscription $147.88 for 1 year made through PayPal. I realized it on the second day I contacted to merchant (Lucky Block software) through email and PayPal I opened an dispute with them the same day subscription made. I received an phone message from someone (later learned it was PayPal). Only symbols and not authorized. 3 times at the same day. Because I wasn't able to read the message I couldn't contact to PayPal at the same day and refused the payment. I called PayPal he said my dispute is denied. I said, "Why?" because it's been made my computer. I said ok. I did not do the purchase. Let's say my little one did it. Even we did it my mistake. This is a service. We still do not use it and in the merchant website agreement if the subscription is been canceled within 3 days they will pay me back which I did. I canceled it in 3 days but I can't reach the merchant and PayPal doesn't protect from me.

PayPal did not do his homework searching if the product received, if the service has been use, what is the agreement etc. They did not do any their homework. What they do is just checking if the purchase made from your computer or not. Nothing else. The rep said the same thing, "We did not have to do anything else. All we do is checking if purchase made from your computer." He said, "You have to deal the merchant not us" and he said they have millions of users with arrogance. I said, "Don't trust you have millions of users. You can lose them one by one"...

Even though I kept saying I did not use their service PayPal try to make me paying it. If I have to deal with the merchant why would I use PayPal. I use PayPal to be safe. If they don't protect me or they don't do their homework searching what happened... if I have to deal with the merchant myself... what is the purpose of using PayPal. Now the Merchant do not answer to my emails and PayPal doesn't care what happened or who is right. Now I have to pay for the service that I did not use or will not use.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

PayPal has billed me for $184.32, for a pre-authorized payment to SITEBUILDER.COM, which I never heard of before thru business' WZ (UK), and Sitelio. I have filled disputes, and a fraud claim with PayPal, and PayPal found in favor of SiteBuilder.com. I have never done business with them, nor ever received any service or product from SiteBuilder.com, I have tried to explain all of this to PayPal, to no avail. PayPal is threatening me with their credit collection department if I don't pay them the $184.32. I am very disturbed with PayPal's refusal to even consider my truthfulness in this matter.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Since there already are so many complaints against this company, I will add one more experience with them that probably matches many others. After buying an item on Ebay and finding out that it was a fraudulent seller as sent to me by Ebay mail, I discovered that my account with PayPal, which was linked to a credit card, was bypassed and instead they withdrew an unauthorized payment from my personal savings account. This after many other transactions using the credit card they had on file.

After waiting over an hour to reach a PayPal person by phone, I was told they did not have the authority to reverse this false withdrawal and I had to call back the following day, again going through a very long hold time to speak to another department that "might have that authority". When Googling PayPal for complaints, I was amazed at how many complaints there were. It's very obvious that PayPal is not the first choice to use as system to pay or receive funds, as they have become notorious for too many fees and withholding refunds or even living up to their claims of buyer and seller protection.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This company supposedly has "seller protection" but never abides by it. Any buyer can buy your item, wait 30 days or more and then just go to their bank and say that it is a fraudulent charge and they get their money and item without having to return it! I sold a brand new item on Ebay with a full description and proof of purchase. The buyer waits for 60 days and files a complaint with Paypal that the item is " significantly not as described" and so I sent proof of pictures and descriptions.

The buyer asked to meet in person in which I have evidence but I did not ship the item (I understand it was a mistake not to ship the item). I thought being the nice guy that I am, to meet the guy and he inspected the item. Regardless if I did not ship the item, I have proof and even text messages and the buyer did not say he "did not receive the item" but that it was "significantly not as described". I called Paypal multiple times and tried to appeal the case... I have seen multiple reviews that Paypal basically can't do crap about chargebacks.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Arbitrarily holds funds on sales. Top rated, 100% FB. No negatives. They give canned responses and when asked where the interest is... (my items range between $300-$5000) they say they can't answer. Truth be told PayPal makes a lot of money on the interest. You should be entitled to that interest but they removed money market accounts so the pigs get fatter... ON YOUR HARD WORK! If they aren't part of eBay anymore why do you need to wait for positive feedback before they release your money? Sorry but I already have a mommy. PayPal you suck!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased item on eBay thru PayPal. Item was bad and returned, cost me $104. Been over a year, keep getting the runaround, still no money back, I will never use again, and recommend the same to others...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

PayPal more than willing to charge my account the day I purchased. Still had not received pkg in a month. The only email they gave me for Liligal Company just sent me to their website. Website does not have a contact number. PayPal unwilling to help with reimbursement. I will never use PayPal again!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I've had a PayPal account for over 5 years. I have my bank account linked sank sank everything they require. I went to transfer a payment to my bank account so I could withdraw the money with no fees! (PayPal charge you $4 to withdraw the money from a ATM out of your own account that they already charged a fee!!) I have already successfully used the $0.25 charge from PayPal to get the money into your bank account within 30 minutes more than once. Well on February 4th I went to transfer $85 to my bank account. Well they decided to review that transaction. Nothing different than the eBay purchases or any other purchases I have used PayPal for so I call. I get the same like they caught with a don't say anything. You understand what I'm talking about?

I ask for a supervisor. I was literally on hold for 1 hour. No one ever coming but check they have the poorest service (I'm 100% against outsourcing). I received an email stating that my pending transaction could take up to 24 hours! So at 8 a.m. eastern time when they open I called I got the same runaround. The first lady tells me that it's under review. If it passes review it would take 72 hours to get my money. I asked her review of what as I stated, "Oh my accounts are linked to PayPal, the bank, everything. So what is being reviewed?" So it's random. "Random what?" So she passes me to another lady who tells me no it's not under review it's in the batch process. I'm going to the bank. I asked both ladies why you're telling me 72 hours when they email I have (documentation) says up to 24 hours!! That's a big difference 24 to 72 hours.

They don't have to say that in the email or anything. They can just say what they want and do what they want since they have your money! I stated that is all the money I had the last of Friday. That is the truth. I need to buy gas and here is the part that just totally irritates me the most they have my $85. I'll go use my PayPal business debit card to go to Taco Bell... and they decline it so they can keep my money without telling me for 72 hours... decline the PayPal debit card!

Who governs these people? I mean I know I'm just one person but there are a lot of complaints about these people! I honestly think that I was under review because of the man's FIRST name that I sold my item to. So that would be profiling! The man is a buyer on eBay! PayPal outsources! This need to stop so People can understand what is being said or Remove Paypal fees... I'm PRETTY MUCH FED UP with companies like this being able to do whatever they want with other people's money. FED-UP!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I've been using PayPal since 2003. As long as there is no dispute about a transaction, things are fine, except for the charges. But in a dispute situation, where the seller has very precise documentation about a buyer's fraudulent activity, PayPal does the most cursory examination, does not look at the seller's documentation and simply goes by what the buyer tells them. The buyer's denial counts more than the actual facts. I am so glad eBay is now switching to Adyen for processing payments.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have filed a lawsuit against PayPal for charging up my checking account debit card, account which had a zero balance and was to be closed, incurring several overdraft fees! They had my new checking account information and had been using it! Then they fraudulently charged the new account several times again incurring overdraft fees and leaving me with no money for most of January as this is my direct deposit of my very little SSDI! I receive EBT and MassHealth too; consequently, I have financial hardship. The new account is in the negative $174! I can't afford that! The court date isn't for 2 months! PayPal is threatening collections as they state I owe them money! I strongly advise against ever using them again and that you all file lawsuits against them or bring a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Paypal is quick to take money out of your accounts, both your PayPal balance and your personal checking accounts, but they will HOLD these funds for as long as they want. Their customer service people are awful! They use the same lines over and over, “Sorry but we can’t help you at this time. Feel free to call us back in a few days.” The only reason PayPal even has a 1 star rating, is because there is no option to put a NEGATIVE rating! Yes! That actually happens. This of course, is after waiting on hold for up to 2 hours, at a minimum. I’m not telling you to walk away from PayPal, I’m telling you to RUN, RUN, RUN!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have used PayPal for about two or three years. Everything went fine until I made a small mistake. And PayPal punish their customer by holding their money for six months and ban me forever from using. It really suck. What an American company is! Why don't they help to find out the truth and help their customer to get back their service. If you was not careful and do something they think you are suspicious, they will right away jump to conclusion you are scam and ban you. How about your money? They will hold for six months. What could you do? They may ask you to provide some personal information but they don't try to verify them.

I have tried to contact by email by phone uploading a lots of my personal information. Everything I got is wasting lots of time. They ignore it and don't accept any more of my information. What a poor service. I am a real person. I have all real information and documents but I still can't verify myself. They ignore ALL. Really bad. They don't need the customer. They never respect you! You should never use this poor service. It is the worst service I ever used in my life. I really WISH another RIVAL of PayPal to STOP this GARBAGE company!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Transferring funds from PayPal to bank account - I am new to PayPal. The first time I used it my transaction went under a 24 hr review. They explained this normal for first time users. Which I understood. But here I am using it again with another 24 hr review. Nothing on my PayPal has changed. Name, telephone #, email, bank acct, all still the same, so now I am confused as to what they are reviewing (the same thing they reviewed the first time). Do not use this if there is an emergency and need your money right away.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Takes 5 business days to transfer 2$ from my PayPal to my bank. Ridiculous worse app ever. They have millions of ways to take your money immediately but make you wait really long for your money when it’s time for you to receive. I recommend the Cash App over PayPal.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

It has been almost 3 weeks since PayPal is yet to transfer the money they took to my debit account. I was going to do the normal transfer to my bank account, but they said that if I did the debit transfer it would take around 30 mins vs using my checking account which would take about 1 day. It DID NOT TAKE 30 mins, at first, they said it would take 72 hours for verification purposes, not one person thought to follow up with me, I had to call and email multiple times to get a simple update.

Almost 3 weeks later, they continue to tell me that they are still having the same technical problem, they would not refund my money and I am out over 500 dollars. I will never use this service again, they do not care about their customers and have ZERO ownership or accountability to any of their issues. I am reading all the reviews and it looks like I am not first person either. I wish I would have read the reviews before I did or trusted this company. They DO NOT care about you, they only care about themselves. DO NOT use this service, you might get your money or you might not. HORRIBLE SERVICE.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

PayPal is a scam. They can take your money but take every step not to return them. I was taken my funds out and putting them on my debit card they screw up. Don't do it. I was charged for it and now they say 72 hours. What a joke. This place should be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I ordered an item from Modlilly which is a dishonest vendor. The item I received wasn’t even remotely similar to the picture in the ad. I sent a screenshot of the ad and a photo of what I actually got (after having the required contact with Modlilly, with no success —- they offered only a portion of my money back). PayPal wanted me to send the item back at my expense to CHINA! It would have cost me the same as what I had paid for the item. This is ludicrous. PayPal uses no common sense. They protected a dishonest vendor instead of their client. It is so frustrating to work with PayPal. They do not protect their clients, they wear you down with automated replies hoping you will give up. I do not trust them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased an item from Actyvv, LLC on Jan 4th 2018, I did not receive the item; on Jan 27th, I contacted the vendor and PayPal and was told the item had delivered on the 18th; I filed a dispute with PayPal and they sent me an email today "they decided not in my favor". Basically they are favoring with the vendor, it is my responsibility to ensure the item I purchased is delivered to my home even though I have nothing to do with the shipping process. I have since closed my PayPal account as they have proven they do not protect we consumers.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Hello. I set up a PayPal account today and it turned out pretty good. That is until I was totally misled. I was told by the first cs guy which name was Mark that by me setting up and being able to verify my checking and debit and credit card account the 1000 limit was lifted so I had a bigger limit. I asked him, "So I'm able to use this 1000?" He told me yes at least 4 times during our conversation. Told him how grateful I was because it was my daughter birthday Saturday. Well this came at a good time then and of course he said once I was able to use it anywhere. I was told by three of their cs that I was able to use this money. The one cs which named was Debbie even had the nerves to help me transfer money from that 1000 to my PayPal account and once again I tried to use it at DD but of course it didn't go through.

The next three cs which named were Mel, Pamela and another guy cs said, "Hey that's not what the money is for." Of course I did not believe them because hey I was told I was able to use this money. I asked to speak to supervisor at least 2 doing this process and got hung up on. I was at DD for over 2 hours trying to use PayPal but little to no avail did no justice. I called back a 7 time got the cs Benjamin. He literally seemed genuine upset about the whole situation. He promptly got the supervisor on the phone. The supervisor which name was Monica got on the phone told her what happened with the misleading information that her employees told me about the driving back and forth to DD trying to download the app because apparently I needed the PayPal app.

It goes back. Same thing didn't work. Monica said, "Hey this is what I'm going to do." She reimburse me for my time, the gas I used running back and forth the misleading and information I was giving from the employees but it will not be available for 24 to 72 hours. I of course expressed my concern. She asked would I like to talk to the manager. I sure why not and oh my God the manager got on the phone which her name is Brooke and she was very rude. She told me that PayPal is not going to reimburse me even though I have ran all over town trying to download the app to use. She pretty much told she did not care about anything I had to say and she also told the transaction I was trying to make even before I talked to her she had already cancelled.

I said, "What? You're kidding?" So to show your customer how much the is family so you say you declined my transaction and you not going to reimburse me for my time and travel which once again I was at DD for 2 hours messing around with this freaking PayPal crap total waste of time. She is very inconsiderate. She not a leader in my eyes because I thought it was all about keeping and making the customer happy which evidently did really care about. I could say more but recommend them is totally out of questions. I think they is a scam. Disgraceful, very rude and I warn everyone to stay away from PayPal because they are not who they claim to be.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I ordered 7 paint by number kits for $93, I received 3 of the wrong items. The seller told me they would send the correct items and they said not to return the wrong items. The seller never sent the items I ordered. I opened a resolution claim with PayPal. PayPal required me to return the wrong items. It cost me an additional $24. The post office gave me a customs number to track the shipment because to get a delivery tracking number would have cost almost $90. PayPal said that because they can’t verify the tracking number they are denying my refund. They won’t refund any of my money. Not even a partial refund. Nothing.

I called to ask how that decision makes sense and the customer service guy said he couldn’t even see the dispute history so he was going to open an appeal and I should send a screenshot that shows where the seller said not to return the wrong items. Two days later I got another denial that says that I am not allowed to appeal the decision. They know that this seller is stealing people’s money. The seller is ** Xsu. They have done it to tons of other people and PayPal is taking a percentage of their theft. There should be some recourse.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I am an avid seller online and for years have held a PayPal account. Most recently I sold some nail wraps to a woman who lives one town away from me. She paid me through PayPal, did not cover the fee like I asked her to because paying by Goods and Services the seller gets hit with a fee. I got hit with the fee and she did not pay it, nor did she pay for shipping, so I lost out on a lot. I tried and tried to get in contact with her about delivery, the only thing I had from her was her mailing address. I uploaded photo proof of everything being sent to her. I tried multiple times to see if she received the wraps I sent her. She "claims" they never arrived and opens a dispute to get a full refund.

I have tried to get in contact with PayPal and it took them over a week to get back to me and said because all I had was photo proof of the things being sent out they are going to side with the buyer and refund her full purchase. They will not even listen to my side of the story because she lied to them and said I did not contact her nor did I send out her wraps. It is a bald face lie and I showed them proof she lied. They will not change their stance. I am so sick of people who screw those of us who are hard working and trying to get by. I am a hard working single mom and I am trying to make money to take care of my kids and this woman has the nerve to take things from me AND get a full refund from PayPal. PayPal needs to be shut down ASAP!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I open case to return damaged scarf. The seller close his store next day after I made purchase. I contact to him. He didn't answer. PayPal told me to send damaged item to China and pay for the shipping. Why me? So PayPal doesn't help. I HATE shopping on eBay, Just hate it. Once in couple of years to shop there. And always problems.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

PayPal is an absolute disgraced. I want to transfer my current balance to my Visa card and close my account. The system is showing that the correct Visa information is entered, however, it will not allow the transfer. I spoke with customer service and they are the absolute worst, incompetent idiots I have ever dealt with. They keep telling me nothing is wrong but obviously there is since the transaction will not go through. Just disgusted with this terrible company.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Product never worked. Seller in China, would not provide return shipping label. PayPal inflexible to understand problem, repetitive messaging to remind to return item. Return cost was more than value of item. PayPal closed complaint. Lesson: buy from reputable American sellers, do not use PayPal. eBay also not helpful. Terrible business practices.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

PayPal Company Information

www.paypal.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use