1.06/5

2103 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I am a new client here and I would like to say 3 days to authorize money to link debit card is wild!!! I do believe you need to find a better solution to cancel transfer for new customers because we as people have REAL bills to pay and do not want to hear your receptionist say, "Oh it's a computer software that verifies your info. We are not able to change anything." Because of you now I'm stuck, stranded. A female waiting 3 damn days of MY OWN MONEY ON PAYPAL. It is incredibly sad that online payment methods or money transfer companies have this much control of OUR MONEY and they can sleep at night knowing this is wrong and leaving innocent humans wonder what's going on and having PayPal REPEAT THEMSELVES OVER AND OVER.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Purchased products from a deal site. I was a little wary, but saw that PayPal was the payment option so felt safe. In short, the product was falsely advertised. PayPal refunded my money. Very satisfied!

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

For over a week now I have sent them everything they asked for MORE THAN once and they drove me NUTS trying to do what they wanted and it still wasn't enough. Got an email this morning saying my account was reinstated BUT you go on my account and it is STILL FROZEN and they want ALL the info AGAIN. Called customer service and they are NOT open NOW??? Really BUT someone sent that message. I am SO SICK of these people. It is OUTRAGEOUS how they treat their customers. I have been with them and eBay 15 plus years and this is how you get treated. Disgusting. AVOID them like the plague if you can.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My account has been frozen. So I called customers service line and they kept me going in circles my phone call was 2 hrs and 34 minutes. Finally told me my account was -38 dls but it was an unauthorized payment and a "reload" that I did not authorize. They accepted that I did not authorize that reload and they still wanted me to pay the fee. They would help me solve the issue they only wanted my payment. I am accusing them of frauds. They only take and steal people's money without consent. I was a customer of them since 2014. The last person I spoke with was very unethical and rude. He kept accusing me of making a unprotected purchase at first then at fault for a reload then a so purchased of an online store. It sounded like he was just making up transactions.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Long story short, they can freeze YOUR account and deny YOU YOUR money on a whim. Their customer service line is useless. Someone needs to come up with a better way of sending money online and put PayPal out of business. There's a reason this joke of a company has terrible ratings everywhere you look. Would give 0 stars if I could.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I have a good amount of money in Paypal. I buy storage units and sell the items on Facebook. I got a storage unit that was a gold mine. Had a lot of Collector Halloween masks, that collectors pay good money for. So I figured the safest way to get payment is use my Paypal account. I have confirmed my Checking account, confirmed my bank card. So I am confirmed and verified. I have went through their so called security checks. Because they wouldn't let me transfer some of my money. I was able to transfer some money to my bank card and bank account.

Figured since I did that it will show history of me withdrawing. I still have a good amount in there and they still won't let me do any more transfers. There are no holds. All holds lifted. I call them 4 times a day which each time is 30 min to a hour each call to get a hold of someone. They tell me wait 48 hours, wait 24 hours, "It's our security system that is not letting it go through", once again went through more security checks and they won't give me my money. Have filed a complaint with the FTC, This is my second complaint with BBB. Please help me. I am at my wit's end unless I get the Media involved. They wont give me my money!!! Please help.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Credit score 786. But turned down for PayPal Credit Card in 5 seconds! I should have remembered I hated PayPal! But hadn't attempted to use them in several years and had forgotten. PayPal you suck!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

In eBay for 15 years or more and have used PayPal to pay for OR be paid for items. In the last week they have decided that they need PROOF of who I am??? They want PHOTOS of my Social Security card, PROOF of my address. I sent a PHOTO of my tax bill and a PHOTO of my photo driver's license. ALL of which I have SENT to them REPEATEDLY! Today AGAIN I get the REQUEST for MORE and I can NOT ignore the BS as they have FROZEN our ACCOUNT til they are SATISFIED!!! OUTRAGEOUS.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Started receiving payments via payPal (which I refuse to capitalize any letters in their name) from one of the companies I do work for. And I can't even get MY money in a timely manner, or transfer money to my bank/bank card in a timely manner! And when asking for a supervisor they have the audacity to tell me "sure you can talk to a supervisor but it's not going to do you any good!" Exact words from paypal employees! More than once I've been told that! Even had them hang up on me even though I was still keeping my composure.

Holding up my money for 5 business days when money cleared on sender's end the very next day! Then when sender tried to retract they said "sorry! Nothing we can do about that." The problem is they have forgotten that it's NOT their money! They say "transfers in minutes in MOST cases" Ha! That's a joke! Twice I got to enjoy instant transfers out of several! There are several other alternatives to paypal people! Use them so paypal will fall to the wayside and be no more!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Bought a convertible top with a six year warranty against defects on eBay and paid through PayPal. Two months later seams started to split, after numerous e-mails to seller, I opened a dispute with eBay. They replied I had to go through PayPal because it was more than thirty days. I give PayPal all the info about a defective product (with documentation from professional top installers), and they sided with the seller. No investigating was done, they just have to side with sellers of large quantity of products, with total disregard to the little guy.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I refunded someone $25 for a game they brought by mistake. PayPal took $25 from my account, and $25 more from a different game I sold... When I called to tell about this they refused to give the $25 back. Never do business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was sending money to friend and asked for a transfer from my bank account. After the person did not receive the money by the next day I called. Instead of transferring the money they requested an e-check without any notification or my permission, and they would not do anything about it. Customer service was very unhelpful and would only ready from what sounded like a script. It cost a big delay in the person receiving the money.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

A buyer I had dealt with regarding a real estate transaction filed an unreasonable refund request which then got escalated as a claim with PayPal. PayPal ruled in the buyer's favor even though this was a real estate transaction (which is NOT covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection). The buyer had initially paid me $1950. However, $56.85 was taken out as a fee by PayPal (I did not receive this fee). The amount that I actually received was $1893.15. After PayPal had ruled in the buyer's favor they deducted the full $1950 from my account. This caused my account balance to now show a negative balance. This was due to PayPal refunding the buyer $1950 vs. just the amount that I had actually received from the buyer ($1893.15). I shouldn't have had to refund the fee charge of $56.85 as that was charged by PayPal, I didn't even receive that amount.

I called on PayPal customer service on 9/15/18 and explained my situation. The agent (offshore Philippines call center) had stated that she would submit a ticket to provide me with a refund of $56.85. I was also given a ticket number. I called back on 9/18/18 regarding the status of the refund and was told by the agent (offshore Philippines call center) there was no related ticket number nor would I be getting a refund as the $56.85 fee is an amount that I would need to cover as part of the total refund, despite me explaining to them that I never actually received that portion of the payment by the buyer. I was transferred to an 'account specialist' (offshore Philippines call center) who also gave me the same answer.

I asked to speak to a supervisor (offshore Philippines call center), and after about a 25 min hold I finally spoke to someone. He stated that I should have gotten the $56.85 refunded to me. He then transferred me to his account manager (a US based person finally) who said he processed the refund and that my account was now showing a positive balance. This entire experience has made me never want to deal with doing any sort of transactions on PayPal. I wanted to inform other frustrated customers of PayPal to request to speak to a supervisor when you are getting nowhere then ask for a US based account manager to finally get your issue sorted out.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been using PayPal for a very long time now. I have never had any issues until now. I was not made aware of a fee that was being charged to my vendor. This fee was then taken out of my payment which in-turn my vendor did not receive my full payment. Now I understand that the vendor should make the sender aware of the fee. However, Paypal should also let the sender know that there will be a fee assessed, and that will be deducted from the money sent. That is not stated anywhere on any of my transactions. I owed that vendor over $100 in fees. This is not about the funny, but about the principal. The fees being taken I had to end up paying anyway.

Had I of known this, then I would have never used PayPal to make the payment. Jerks! Their customer service is horrible. Same thing over and over again... like a broken record. In the end I just closed my account, and told them that what they were doing is wrong. This should be something clearly stated when making a payment. Kind of like how McDonald's started the whole "Caution Hot" on their coffee cups. I hope someone sues them for all these fees that their senders (supposedly free) end up paying.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I sold an Note 8 and added tracking info. This was my 3rd sale of random items. First eBay put a hold on payment then they said they would release it to PayPal...then PayPal took out their fee and did put a hold on my funds again. They take their money and screw the sellers...never again. That's why people are using more moral companies that don't steal your fees while putting your money on endless hold.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

PayPal is the worst. They have no real customer service agents to help you. They simply read a script to resolve your issues but that does nothing. I received a payment through PayPal, tried to make an instant transfer to my prepaid account to use my PayPal card and was denied repeatedly without any reason why. PayPal pretends to be a convenient way to manage your money but they are a total ripoff. I will be terminating my business with them. Unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had been using PayPal for over a year to received payments for my secondary revenue stream, mainly selling t-shirts on Redbubble.com and doing some side jobs on Fiverr for two regular clients. Out of the blue, I received an email informing that my account had been "permanently limited" and that my only "choice" was to wait for 180 days to retire the funds available. I tried to clear the situation by providing all the invoice and client information necessary, but their reply was that their decision was final (without any argumentation) and then give me the PayPal legal department info in case I wanted to take things further. Don't trust PayPal with your work and your money, they just don't care about you and aren't going to think twice to screw you over.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

PayPal has to be shut down or re-organized! They 'allowed' a hacker to hack into my account, the hackers changed my e-mail address and then they stole £1,200 from my bank account. I constantly e-mailed PayPal with my concerns about my e-mail address but they never answered or done anything about it. I eventually managed to retrieve my money but that not without stress and sheer hard work on my part. Unfortunately, because I still wanted to use eBay, I had to have a PayPal account, so I opened another one, and now through no fault of my own, any cash transactions that are used through my account on put on hold for 21 days, oh and I also have to pay for the privilege!!! I sold an item and received payment on 27th August 2018, today 17th September 2018, the payment is still on hold!!! It is a terrible terrible service and I am not sure why it is still being allowed to run.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Our competitor submit a infringe report falsely and PayPal just limited our account without verify anything!!! We have to hire a lawyer to engage in this issue! If we do not have the money to have a lawyer, this will never been resolved! PayPal claimed to be friendly to small company which is complete **!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was never told of the new increased interest rate. I was told by another friend to call and check it out. This was after I charged over $100.00. The PayPal agent was rude and let me know how I can see the terms and conditions (with several steps). Now who is going to check into the terms with all these steps each time they use PayPal. What I am trying to say is these people are crooks. I will never use PayPal again. This action is unacceptable to me. They didn't even send me an email or letter to let me know!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

PayPal is the worse company to do business with. The reps all tell a different story. No one is on the same page and the reps are rude asf. This is the 3rd time they have limited my account. They wanted me to send all these documents only to hold my funds for 180 days but can’t tell me why? Like why are you holding my funds. Then all the reps says is the back office has to make the decision. I say, "Transfer me to the back office," and all of sudden there is no number. "Oh that department doesn’t have a number." But they work for PayPal as well. Sounds like a fake office to me. I never in my life will do business with PayPal again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Seriously! Never again! Nothing but issues and when you call and try to fix them they are either closed or you have to wait forever! Worst part, they tell you they can't discuss the details of your account with YOU! Then they hang up on you when you ask a question they don't want to answer. Worst customer service I think I've ever encountered! Absolute joke!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I'm never using this service again. They froze the funds on my dad's PayPal account for no reason, and as a result, I got an unpaid item in my eBay account records. I am pissed off, dad is pissed off, and the seller is pissed off. Now I know why Amazon doesn't accept PayPal. We rang PayPal customer service, and they told us to wait 48 hrs. That time has now passed long ago, and the funds are still frozen. This is not just bad customer service, it is criminal.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When you sell a product on eBay using Paypal, be prepared to have your money put on hold for up to 21 days. Be prepared to call their number and get put on hold and redirected to another person that has no knowledge of your account at all. Be prepared to talk to a supervisor named Andrew or something, that talks to you like a robot with no compassion or tone and that tells you there is nothing he can do. And all this will happen after your product has been shipped, delivered and rated outstanding by the buyer. If you can deal with that, if you can deal with seeing your money in your account with "on hold" written by it, then eBay and PayPal are the way to go. If not, you better find an alternative. :). lol ~truth~. Repost. Benjammin was nice. He should be managing the whole PayPal. If you don't overhaul your company soon you will be going under too many bad comments and that is a sign of the end.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

They accepted refund money from eBay on a purchase I made with my MasterCard from my personal Bank. I did not authorize the refund from eBay to go to PayPal. I did not engage PayPal to authorize them to accept the funds. They would not return my funds unless I paid a check fee or gave them my banking information. I then attempted to find a product to purchase that would be to the penny of what was in the PayPal account that would include tax and shipping and then close the account, saving as much of my funds as possible.

I found such a product and PayPal declined the transaction. They are an insulated mega corp. that needs to be sorted out. I can't believe this type of activity isn't considered Bank Fraud and a Federal offense. Their customer service is boilerplate BS and unresponsive. I would advise anyone and everyone to avoid using PayPal or giving them any information that would give them an opportunity to intercept your personal funds.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I've used PayPal without trouble for years and I've faced two problems. At first, when I created the account it wouldn't receive nor send any money and when I asked them about it, their answer had absolutely nothing to do with my problem. I let it go and a few months later, the account was working just fine and I've used it for years to receive money for my freelance work and make simple purchases online. I had a credit card and a bank account linked and then suddenly they're asking for proof of identity and proof of address and not accepting anything I sent nor letting me withdraw or transfer my money.

I was using an Israeli account but had moved to the US later on and kept using my account but they wouldn't accept a proof of an American address nor an Israeli P.O.Box. Then the moment they found out I have a Palestinian address, they permanently limited my account with over $900 in it. I've contacted them throughout this whole problem at each step to get help but their customer service was crappy as always and they kept answering with the same email over and over which had nothing to do with the questions I actually ask in my emails. I now have an account with $900 that I can't withdraw for 180 days and then I have no idea how they will let me withdraw it but this whole experience was horrible and I don't recommend at all. I'll be moving to Payoneer or something else as soon as I figure out how to get my money.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I had no internet access at an event. I had to manually key in the orders. Not only did they take more money from each sale, PayPal is holding all the money for 30 days. No credit card holds money for that long. This is a travesty of customer service for someone who has run years of sales with no issues. I want my money!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I called PayPal to dispute one of transaction as I couldn't see transaction in my account. "I logged in with same email and password" during call, agent stated my account got duplicated with wrong phone number, when I asked how she only responded that she is fixing and deleting my second account, even talking to manager. She suggested to send mail to San Jose legal office for more investigation. She kept blaming on email provider that didn't send out verification email or so. The question is how seller got my info from purchase that I did and how new account got created with same credential and wrong personal information. I talked to very careless manager and rude. That's ridiculous that finance company like PayPal does not have clear answer or willing to investigate more to secure customers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I use PayPal without problems during some years more or less 7 years, and in this year I get limited my account, without explanations about the issue. I need send some documents, but for this stupids, it's the same, frozen my account and the next lock my account with 1700 dollars inside. Ridiculous, because never sell in eBay and only I works as freelance for received money about my jobs and nothing more. This by one side, and by other side use for payments about my job and buy servers, etc, and pay the commissions of money pay me in each case.

During years, zero problems, never one people open me some problem in PayPal, now ** my job and my money, without explanations, these guys want the money of people for get more money using my job and my life and the life of other people. I don't understand how it's possible Unites States governments don't open investigation about this big fraud in PayPal, PayPal are criminals, and must be in the jail, PayPal gets all money from people and this people not bank, not law and not government, when from administration of United States. Stop this ** people, when??? STOP THIS SCAMS NOW.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I opened a line of credit with PayPal Credit for $2,650.00. I successfully purchased a laptop using this PayPal Credit line on September 4, 2018. I have the email confirmation from the merchant to prove it was approved. I had to cancel the transaction because of delivery issues. I have since tried to use the PayPal Credit line multiple times and have been denied every time even though my entire credit limit is available. I called PayPal and the supervisor I spoke to (Daniel) on 9/7/2018 advised me that I was being denied use of my PayPal Credit line because I was a new customer and I needed to establish history (this was a theoretical reason as the supervisor could not confirm that precise reason).

I have since tried to use the PayPal Credit line to purchase items under $20.00 in total to attempt to begin this purchase history. They have all been denied. I am in no uncertain terms furious that PayPal has opened a line of credit for me but has effectively made it impossible for me to use. This is the very height of deceptive and unethical business practices. I have never had such a negative experience with a credit provider in my 25 years of using lenders and credit providers. Further, because of this interminable delay I have lost days of freelance work wages and there is no way to be advised if or even when this credit line will be made available for actual use. This entire experience has been incredibly frustrating and infuriating.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs