1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2341 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased a PayPal reader through my PayPal online account, followed their 4 step instructions prior to purchase. When the reader arrived it would not connect and now displays as "Damage to reader detected. Contact PayPal for assistance". I have never been able to use this reader and it is in mint condition. PayPal apologised for my reader being damaged but would not fix or refund my money or offer a solution to me for having a dud piece of PayPal equipment. A number of times the PayPal staff member remained silent and did not speak. I thought they had very poor communication and public relation skills and did nothing to resolve the issue of a faulty PayPal reader I had purchased through their online account. A contradiction coming from a company that claims to be protection for online purchases. I will rethink using PayPal or recommending them to my customers.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Have used PayPal for over a decade with no problems. On the 17th of this month I had 4 transactions put through my bank account for over $300. My credit card is clearly on file for all transactions. Was able to get someone on the phone who said it was an "internal security issue" whatever that means. He couldn't explain what happen. His only suggestion was to remove my bank account which I attempted to do only to get a message that they couldn't do that because something was processing. I was supposed to be transferred to security but after 20 minutes on hold I hung up. Second call 20 minutes to be told it looks like some kind of a bug. No help really. So I guess I will remove my bank account (I think everybody should and only put it there when you have something to sell). And may not use PayPal in the future even though it has been convenient.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had a issue accessing my statement, and after going through their agonizing help menus, I was told to phone in. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Hour later, still no answer. I will wait and try again, and if I fail a second time, I'll just cancel the credit card.The credit card issuer is NOT the problem, I reached them easily.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

They put holds on your money. Look they take a percentage of whatever you sold. That's fine. I use your service. Do yeah take your percentage but put my money on hold. Straight greedy. Yeah I get it security reasons to protect buyer and seller but dude after 3 days on hold the security thing is good. No issues. So going on pass 3 days my money is still on hold from my sell. So now it's super clear you are 100% using are hiding behind the security saying to make interest off my money letting it set there for a while. Greedy greedy greedy. Boy if I can get my hands on who is responsible for this kind of practice. I'm going with someone else pay them for their services and get paid from my sell right on the spot. PayPal sucks. Everyone just go look at all the negative reviews online. Not much positive ones. ** PayPal. Come and get some. I'm waiting.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

PayPal has no authorization to debit my bank account for goods I order online. My PayPal account has my up to date MasterCard as “preferred payment”. In spite of this, PayPal illegally debits my bank account instead of my authorized MasterCard. PayPal has done this numerous occasions. No help online offered by PayPal for this issue. I call by phone to PayPal helpline to receive a recording of an hour and a half wait time for a representative. In 1 1/2 hr PayPal switchboard is closed! No help available to resolve this deceitful business practice, nor will PayPal web page allow deletion of my bank account information because they claim I have pending transactions when I do not have pending transactions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

It has been hell trying to contact Paypal to reporrt identity theft. An unknown individual created a PayPal account with my details including banking details. When fraud was detected I attempted to contact fraud department at PayPal and that's the time hell landed on earth. I waited for hours to contact the officials in the latter department. I have not succeeded in getting my complaints sorted. I wish the government can apply more muscles and regulate this agency to its knees. The company shares at present are $90 per share yet it cannot address public concerns. Now heading to police station for help. Hopefully they can help. I'm pissed off big time. Citizens deal with PayPal at your own risk.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Ordered two chairs thru eBay paid thru PayPal. PayPal defaulted to the wrong address to be shipped. Seller refused to change address despite calls and email from eBay. Chairs had NOT been shipped. Overstock decided to send them regardless to vacant address. FedEx who delivered the chairs came right back and picked them up and sent them back. PayPal refuses to release my funds for 421.72 back to me because the callback address that Overstock gave FedEx does not match the address they shipped from. No chairs and out 421.72 because PayPal keeps declining my claim. Reported them to the State Attorney Generals office and IRS. Logged complaint with my bank. Closing PayPal account. Misuse of public funds.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My sister started getting small frequent charges on her bank statement that put her into a negative balance. We tried to call PayPal twice to stop the transactions. Both times we were put on indefinite hold and eventually disconnected. We went online to close her PayPal account and there was no way to remove her bank or stop the fraudulent charges from accruing. Meanwhile, NSF fees started to appear on her bank statement.

There should have been some way for my sister to stop the fraud on her account. PayPal offered no support to do this. It was a nightmare and PayPal played right along with the fraud as a passive audience. Don’t give PayPal any of your bank or credit card information because once they get it you’re open to any fraudster out there!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been in good standing with eBay and PayPal for years. I have never had any fraud or any claims or any actions taken against me in any way. All of a sudden I get an email saying my account is "permanently limited", this is PC speak for terminated. I can never use PayPal again and so I cannot buy or sell on eBay. PayPal has cost me $300 in listing fees alone. Not to mention the almost $1,000.00 they are "holding for 180 days". I seriously doubt I will ever see that money again.

I have no way to reimburse my customers for my last few eBay sales if something goes wrong. I spent 4 hours with PayPal customer support and they tell me they are NOT obligated to tell me why my account was terminated. I have to subpoena them to find out what I did wrong. I sell seashells, sand dollar, and urchins. I read their user agreement 4 times. I did nothing wrong to warrant termination without recompense or a reason why. So use PayPal at your own detriment. Because of them I am out $1,300.00.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

REFUND? A HUGE HOAX! I was scammed by a Spanish antiquarian encountered in the ** website that I paid with PayPal. The scam consisted in the fact that instead of sending me two vases and a statue, as stated in the listing, he sent me only the statue. Despite having sent as many as 2 screenshots to PayPal showing both the contents of the lot and how much I had paid, and despite the seller himself has confirmed to have sent me only the statue, PayPal did not reimburse me at all, claiming that the seller has correctly processed the order! Totally unacceptable! They really played me! It is no coincidence that eBay...

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs