1.04/5
Based on 458 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2032 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Our PayPal website was displaying an error every time we went to view invoice details for our customers. After over FOUR HOURS on HOLD with customer service, and being transferred to three different people, they send me to a department that is now closed. An automated voice said to call back during business hours and promptly hung up.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

PayPal assumes all my transactions are suspicious; immediately flags my account. I can't even add money to my account. I have to provide a bank statement each time. Blocks account. Poor customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Dear PayPal, you can be more concerned for buyers when buyers are being scammed by a vendor. Don't make the buyer pay for return fees, and not make the seller who is engaged in a fraudulent selling scheme pay those fees. Make the seller pay for the return item by having that settled before you consider the case closed. For example, in my case, it cost $2.00 less than what the item cost to purchase, to ship. If the buyer is required to pay that, how is that fair? My item cost $69.00 to purchase, and because they sent something that I didn't order, you PayPal have asked me to return it to the seller; the cost to return the package is; $67.50; the cheapest way. Why would I have to pay that for something that they clearly fraudulently sent.

I only say that it was fraudulent because my neighbor order the exact same item, and was shocked as I was; fortunately for her, her bank took care of it. I think PayPal is not representing its buyers to the fullest and moral and ethical extent. On the phone with a PayPal employee Kate **, told me, "You should know you will have to pay shipping." I asked where is that located vividly so the buyer knows that before they push "purchase?" I was told, "You can read it under our buyer protection policy." Bottom line, all three people, Kate **, and her supervisor, and her supervisor Matt, ** basically kept reading the policy back at me. This is ethically wrong, write to your congressman to hold PayPal accountable. Here is the address for corporate if others have the same complaint against Paypal: Corporate Office, 2211 North First St. San Jose, CA 95131.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Made my payment. Always on time. In fact always weeks early!! Paid it off again which they say can take up to 8 days to be credited to my account. It's been almost two weeks and bank showing it paid. PayPal showing it's paid but will not credit my account. If I try to contact them? I get the same automated answer. Going to cancel this account! Don't bother with PayPal if you make your payments like you should.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I signed up for PayPal and entered all my bank information, assuming it is a safe way to pay online... wrong! They got me to enter all my bank information, said they would take the money out of my bank as I used it online, then sent me a letter, which I have, stating I don't have to pay any interest or late fees for 6 months. I thought this was fantastic! I received the letter Aug 8th, 2018, short time ago, then I got a letter stating I am late and they charged me $38.00.

If they are taking the money out, auto draft, how could they charge me, but they didn't take it out, then why did I give them all my bank information. Then I had issues getting into the website. I NEVER received any phone calls or mail stating I had a bill due. This is totally ridiculous, and when I called, someone that has English for a second language didn't help me. I paid the amount they said was due, because I have excellent credit and want to keep it that way, now they say I owe way more? I finally got a statement from them and there's many charges. I have no idea what they are. I don't order automobile stuff nor electronic stuff. I am a single female over 50. I would suggest not using this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I am a service business. I do wedding services and recently had a client cancel two day before the service was scheduled. The client agreed to our refund policy upon reserving the date. However she went through PayPal and reported item not received. Because I cannot provide a tracking number, PayPal sided with buyer. There are no options to disputes without providing tracking. I have called three times and still cannot get this resolved. They don’t even offer the option to explain this is a service and not an item to be shipped. If you are using PayPal for your service business... do yourself a favor and find a different option.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have purchased an item online using my PayPal's balance and was thinking that my back is covered by purchase protection of PayPal but I was wrong. Package delivered was left "at front door", but I never received; I do not know if someone passed by and took it or FedEx delivered to the wrong address. Shipper (who sold me the item online) told me to contact FedEx. FedEx gave me a case number, then told me to contact Shipper. 2 weeks later... Called FedEx; told me that they cannot give me the claim's info because I am not the shipper. Called Shipper, told me that the claim was denied by FedEx because the package was delivered to the right address. Called FedEx to see if there is anything I can do to get my money back; they told me to contact Shipper, and also said that Shipper allows FedEx to leave the package at the front door.

Opened a claim with Purchase Protection of PayPal and got denied. Done. Lost my money for nothing. In short, I am not going to use PayPal to buy anything online again, but to use it as a tool to receive money and transfer it to my bank only. If anyone knows how a way to get my money back, please let me and everyone know; I believe that I am not only the one who has this issue with PayPal.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I just obtain a job where I have to pay $399.00 a year for use of a system. I paid $199.00 last month, but this month I did not have the funds to pay for this month. The only card that was inside my PayPal account were mine, because I had remove it (the other card I deleted were my friend). Well PayPal put the card back into my account and charge it for $199.00. Now my friend account is overdraft and they denied me to put the money back, my friend is a elder man I known over 30 years who is on disability.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I recently started Airbnb business and set up account with PayPal, as a quicker way to get my money paid by Airbnb. I was so wrong. The first payment from Airbnb came to PayPal July 15, then July 20, and 22. Today is August 10. Still can't get my money. It shows zero on my PayPal account. I tried everything, and Customer Service calls as well. Customer Service is useless. Thanks God I changed the payment method straight to my personal account and it works well and stress free, but that amount about $900 PayPal keeps and not paying to me. I am pretty sure they play with customers money making interest on them, and it's ridiculous. Writing this review to warn people not to deal with PayPal. PayPal is SCAM. Try to find a different way for your transactions, or you will be stuck with not getting your money, and no matter who you call to solve the problem, they don't hear you and do Nothing to help, because they do it on purpose.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I opened a claim with Paypal against SamsBeauty. I ordered 5 items from SamsBeauty, but only received 4 of the 5 items. The item that was missing was $14.99. I wrote to Paypal and went into full detail about my claim. All that they asked for (from SamsBeauty) was the tracking number. Of course the package was delivered, I already stated that! So once Paypal saw that the package was indeed delivered, they closed the claim. Seriously? Did they even look into the claim or read what I described to them? All they asked for was the tracking number, and that is how they made their decision? Absolutely ridiculous! I have been a Paypal user for years, but now I'll be looking for a different service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Used PayPal as thought it would be quicker to receive money from a friend rather than a cheque, terrible service, took 8 days for PayPal to do all their checks and transfer the funds to my current account, a high street bank would be quicker too. The most infuriating thing is it doesn’t tell you that everything will take days, the screen says two hours to transfer funds then an email arrives to say 72 hours (it was a bit longer than that). Plus if you email customer service you get an email reply to say phone them so they might as well take the email option off. Not worth using.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I made a purchase through PayPal with my Discover card for almost 2k. Two months later my purchase had not arrived, their website had issues and when I clicked through FB my account was gone. I opened a dispute with PayPal who said, "Deal with Discover." I called Discover. The next day PayPal had put limits on my account claiming unauthorized user. I called PayPal three times. The first times they never returned the call.

The third time, they requested my drivers license (uploaded 4 times), my proof of being an authorized user on my and my husbands card (uploaded 3 times), a copy of my Discover statement (uploaded but financial numbers scratched out by me). This should be more than enough to prove who I am. According to PayPal it's not. I have to get Discover to send them paper saying I’m a real user. They limited my business account so my store is suffering. I didn’t get my merchandise from FROST COSMETICS (avoid at all costs) and yet I’m suffering for it, thanks PayPal. If there are charges that can be filed, I will. Loss of revenue is just the beginning. I get security but that's harassment.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I purchased a tent from Molyes store on 6/29/18 for $69.99. The item I purchased was a 3-4 person, hydraulic opening tent. The payment was processed through PayPal. A month later, I received a completely different, cheap tent that fit one person and was a pop up. I complained to the seller and they said I needed to send the item back to China, pay for the shipping myself, and that they might give a refund when they receive it. I did some research and saw numerous complaints about this seller and the fact that they were fraudulent and how some people had paid $50 for shipping it back to China and they weren't even given their refund. I escalated the complaint to PayPal, (who I learned was also aware of the fraudulent seller, but they continue to process payments for them as more consumers continue to get ripped off).

Once I escalated the complaint, they came back with the statement that I needed to pay for the shipping back to China, and there was no mention of the bait and switch tactics used by Molyes store. I am extremely disappointed in the poor business practices of PayPal, and the fact that they won't stand behind their system and give me a full refund. Since they are aware that this seller is shipping false items or not shipping at all, they should have taken down the seller and stopped processing payments for them. I want my refund of $69.99. This ongoing issue with PayPal is making me want to delete my account permanently and never use their services again. I have no desire to use a service that has no ethics.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

As a business that accepted PayPal, I am very displeased with the customer service when addressing a problem that occurred recently. My business will not be accepting PayPal anymore as a result. I think their fees are high considering their lack of knowledge to give reasons for their actions.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Every time I'm using the site I get a 'noticed suspicious activity on your account' they want me to verify given a menu of options, none of which actually work. Answer some questions? Blank page. CC verify? Same blank page. Also they cannot seem to figure out or retain an actual phone number into their database. This level of gross incompetency just illustrates a very scary service scenario right now... one that cannot perform or function as advertised. Obviously something bad is happening behind the scenes and we're all having to suffer as a result of it. Customer support is non existent. They route you to a vicious cycle of robotic hell that just annoys you more than you were before you started the call.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I ordered a product off of an advertisement that I saw on Facebook. The product that I received was nothing like what was displayed in the ad! I contacted PayPal to have them help me get a refund. PayPal opened a case for me and said they would be in contact in a few days. Several days later I received an email that they had decided an outcome on my case and it was not in my favor that the seller had accurately described my product. I immediately called PayPal again to find out what could be done. The lady on the phone told me to get some screen captures of the product that I was promised and then you take a picture of what I received. I did this and sent them to the email address that she had given me a link to.

The next day I received an email again from PayPal stating that once a case has been decided it could not be reopened. I immediately called PayPal again. The lady on the phone told me that it could be appealed and she opened an appeal for me. Gave me a different link to send pictures so I did so with her on the phone and she agreed with me that what I thought I was buying and what I received or not even remotely similar. The next day I receive an email again stating that once a case of been decided it could not be reopened.

My question is PayPal is supposed to have your back and protect you against fraud and scams and instead they're helping the fraudulent scammer get away with what they done without any consideration of any evidence or anything else. My dissatisfaction with PayPal is so complete. I believe I will close my PayPal account and my smart connect account and just make my purchases from now on with a credit card that will help me.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

In the last few days, 3 attempts to use PayPal to pay 3 different vendors have failed with no reason given. In the first case, I used a PayPal.me link from I vendor I have made payments to that way numerous times. I got an error message that said my payment could not be processed at this time and instructed me to try again later. I did try several more times with same result. I called Customer Service and used the option of having them call me back in a designated time period. They did but the Customer Service representative was unable to talk to me because the account is in my husband's name and he wasn't available at the time.

So I called back when he was here and had to wait on hold for over an hour. The Customer Service rep went through the usual scripted answers but could not explain why there was a problem. I finally insisted on speaking to a supervisor, was put on hold again and then the call was dropped. There was no attempt on the PayPal end to reestablish the call. The vendor also tried to contact PayPal to see if the problem was at that end and could not get through.

The next day, I tried using PayPal from the Home Depot website to pay for an item I was going to pick up at the store. PayPal showed the transaction as pending, but the store sent an email saying PayPal had declined the payment. I gave up, reordered and paid directly with my credit card, but I see the original payment is still listed as pending on PayPal, while Home Depot has the order marked as cancelled.

Today, I tried using PayPal from an established website providing an online course and the same thing happened - PayPal has the charge listed as pending but the course website said payment did not go through. The customer service rep from the online course suggested I skip PayPal and pay directly with my credit card as soon as the "pending" designation on PayPal clears. The benefit of using PayPal - keeping your credit card information confidential - has been far outweighed by these recent occurrences coupled with their extremely bad customer service. It hard to understand why a company that used to be decent to work with and that makes money on each transaction has gotten so bad.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I sold a phone on eBay. Buyer bought in Feb 18. In June 18 they filed a " not authorized" chargeback claim against the purchase. PayPal takes the money from my account. I get it back since I have the tracking number and was protected by PayPal seller protection. The scam buyer files another chargeback. This after the post office no longer keeps the tracking info online. I lost the case due to this, even though the case should have been closed the 1st time I won. PayPal has not worked on my behalf to get my phone back. The scam artist has kept my phone and got all their money back. Even PayPal will simply say it's legal and they do not have to send it back. What a terrible business practice. Do not use PayPal for selling, they will not protect you.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Opened new account and verified everything needed to use for business and was assured that there would be no delays in funds since I confirmed all accounts but here we are after very first transaction and my funds have been delayed. I am sure my money and your money altogether make for some nice interest in their bank. If you have never used PayPal DON'T. It has been a miserable experience and just as soon as I can get these CROOKS to pay up the money that they owe me I will cancel my account and become a thorn in their ** for years to come so nobody else has to go through this!!! PAYPAL IS NOT THE ANSWER, TRY SOMETHING ELSE AND DO NOT GIVE THESE CRIMINALS YOUR MONEY AS IT WILL COST YOU IN THE END!!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

On July 20th I had $3,210 sent to me via Paypal. There was a link stating that I could transfer my money which I tried for days. Every time I hit the transfer button I got a message stating Paypal could not process the request right now and to try back later. I e-mailed customer service. After 2 exchanges I still could not transfer my funds as I kept getting the same error message. Now 10 days later I have requested for Paypal to send me the funds via ACH or via overnight check as the issue is with their software but they have not yet done so. Still waiting for their software to work. I am wondering if Paypal intentionally does this to faciliate interest on the money sent? If their software is botched shouldn't they be helping their customers get the money and not just telling them to clear their browser and try again? Also, why is there no phone number to call a rep at Paypal to get things resolved? A total scam. Will NEVER use Paypal again... Ever.

Original review: July 30, 2018

If you think you're always safe using PayPal for transactions, think again! I made a booking on Airbnb for a longer period and therefore, a large deposit amount in Euro. Although I had nominated my Euro-denominated credit card for this purchase, the debit went automatically to my A$ bank account, which was not funded for this purchase. After about a week, PayPal debited the credit card with an amount that was 10% greater than the purchase amount. Upon contacting PayPal, the supervisor claimed that this was a currency conversion charge that I had to pay as the amount had been converted from Euro to A$ and back to Euro. The fact that PayPal system made the conversions without regard to my preferred payment method, made no difference. I no longer trust PayPal and have closed my account.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Last October I had opened an account so my husband and grandson could pay for a fishing trip. The head of the fishing company would not accept anything from PayPal so he paid cash. This Jan. I started receiving email from PayPal saying I owed them money. The end of Jan. we had a tragedy in our family and I became very ill. All of the sudden in June I get this notice from PayPal saying I owe all this money for ridiculous things. I kept emailing and telling them I did not purchase these. I kept trying to deal with them. I finally did make a payment for The New York Times which I had not ordered and two other things but with the tragedy I went ahead and sent money with a letter saying I had never ordered anything regarding this newspaper.

Then I start getting all these charges added which are fraudulent. I tried to speak with someone and they kept adding more charges. I have now filed a fraud complaint with them. They added The Wall Street Journal and other things. I am now waiting for the fraud complaint but have not heard from them. I am now looking at taking them to Small Claims Court. In Georgia you can go to small claims court for up to 15 thousand dollars. This has been a nightmare. The people working for them do not even respond. Will write again with the outcome.

Original review: July 28, 2018

PLEASE BE ADVISED!!! PayPal is charging customers a significant service fee because they claim: "Our app doesn't allow for a free payment (friends, family, etc.) at this time. We are working on the problem and have received many complaints, but in the meantime, just tell people (who only call in to complain because they are on top of their bank accounts) to log on to 'paypal.com' and they can send you payments without the fee".

I seriously think that this calls for a class action lawsuit for the millions of dollars that they are receiving because people have no idea about this "glitch" in their system. Pathetic. Every option should be available no matter what portal a paying customer uses to send money and not allowing that option is making them millions and costing the payee millions in ridiculous, unnecessary fees.

Oh, and good luck with "customer service", what a joke. Lines fed out to other countries where the hold time is at least 20 minutes and then, when you do get some joker on the line, they are rude, talk over you, tell you how they need to educate you on how PayPal works, and probably have a miserable life to say the least. Never again people. Look into what I'm stating as fact here. They are ripping off millions of Americans who probably never saw it coming.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Difficulty withdrawing balance and transferring to bank. Customer Service at PayPal is not open except during the week. For a company this size, you should be open 7 days a week or you shouldn't be in business. Paypal also tries to charge for transfers and sent me a canned email that they would charge a percent of the transfer. When I spoke with them the last time, they lie and say they don't charge a fee, but they definitely try. Don't let them.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Waited over an hour on hold for customer service to pick up. I have security concerns. Finally gave up and am just going to cancel my account. I have a business account with them as well which I will be cancelling.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My account was used in some type of scam, where multiple payments were sent to users. PayPal has given me excuses after excuses on not refunding me this money. They asked me to fax documents, then mail letters, and then to contact my bank. This who process has been horrible and PayPal needs to stop doing this to their customers. File complaints with your representatives regarding PayPal.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It seems I am not alone when it comes to trying to deal with PayPal, they live up to their horrendous reputation of “legally” obtaining your money and somehow they hold your money for an undisclosed amount of time with zero accountability. On one occasion I sent money to a friend and it went into ‘unconfirmed’ status which happens when the email address is not linked to an account (I.e no account exists with that email address). This should be no issue and one should receive an instant refund yet the story PayPal come up with as to why it will take up to a month for you to receive your money back, is that it has left your bank account but PayPal haven’t received your money, it is in cyberspace with the flying pigs I might add!

To best illustrate what it’s like, imagine buying some milk and it is sour so when returning the milk the shopkeeper “drops” your money down the side of the cash register then tells you ‘Sorry! But it will take up to 28 working days for an expert to move the cash register and for you to receive your refund!’ It is not the customer’s fault that the shopkeeper does not know where the money has gone! The amount of unethical practices this company gets away with, really should be a sign for anyone to stay as far away from this company as possible. They obviously use your money and hold on to it as long as possible, and as you the customer are powerless to do anything about this big firm who is withholding your livelihood without any competent explanation or transparency.

Upon speaking to a manager after being hung up on and dealing with clueless representatives, I displayed my evidence to him, in the form of an email clearly stating a definite date for my money to be refunded, and it was well after the date with no funds to be seen and my bank account, “missing” the money I was looking for. His bottom line was he needs to ‘coach the representatives about misinforming customers’ and he still doesn’t know where my money is! Erm... there is a simple word for all of this...FRAUD!

Original review: July 24, 2018

So, I recently realized that PayPal and eBay have teamed up to fool their customers. WORST PAYPAL & EBAY CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! Worst MANAGERS in PayPal!!! They just don't care about their long term clients! I ordered a Galaxy Note 8 from eBay few days back and they had a promotion going on that day, that along with any $119 purchase you get a free Google Mini Home. I successfully redeemed the promo code for that along with my phone. I even received the confirmation email for the same! But, only after 2 days when I check my PayPal I come to know that they have charged me $54 for the Google Mini which was apparently free of cost. And upon checking my eBay account I see that my phone order has been canceled and they already shipped my Google Mini and wrongly charged me for that.

Upon contacting eBay & PayPal customer service 10 times, they were of zero help and kept blaming each other. None of them credited my account back. Paypal Managers are highly uneducated as they closed my claim saying that I'm not eligible for the refund for which they wrongly charged me. Never ever purchase a single item from eBay and don't authorize PayPal for anything as they misuse your account big time. They will run out of businesses soon!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I used PayPal to give my roommate a deposit to rent a house. PayPal clearly had withdrawn the money from my bank account. The money did not transfer to my roommate's account. It was stuck in pending status. Days later, when we called PayPal to get an estimate on when the money would clear we were frustrated to realize that we wouldn't be talking to a customer service representative. The message we got was a looped robotic message that was zero help. Please save yourself the trouble and do not use PayPal.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Venmo users beware, PayPal has the most ridiculous lack of customer service of any company I've ever encountered. All I wanted to do was add a second bank account to an existing PayPal account. Without any explanation, I was sent a "We cannot process your request at this time" error message. It was only after I emailed customer service that I discovered I needed to re-verify my ten year-old account in order to add the new bank account. Fine. I called the customer service line.

Call #1: Dropped from Queue. Call #2: On hold 30 minutes, had to hang up because those of us in the real world eventually have to go back to work during the day. I emailed customer service a second time, requesting assistance, and was told the 5 step process of how to get a one time passcode for better service. Half a dozen clicks later I was on the phone, passcode in hand. Spent five minutes in the phone queue before being transferred to a real, live human being... who promptly hung up on me.

PayPal expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

• Best for: PayPal is best for individuals who want to make payments online with more security and/or transfer money to family and friends.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

PayPal Company Information

www.paypal.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business