2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (3389 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Was directed to send money to a friend service which was according to my research a reputable be service to send money to a friend with low fees easily and with the option of instant transfer. Was sent funding for online business be on the 3rd and still have not received be any confirmation be of when will I be will receive funds, more disturbingly I have been give me back every been given every indication I be won't receive them. Told my be phone is not valid while on it speaking with them. Told my ID, social security number, address, 3 bank cards, PO Box, are not enough to confirm ID. I am reporting them in hopes of any response, recommended action and completion of transaction, so I can receive my funds and end the process.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

A phony company (BD-electrics.com - UK) sold me a bad PC via PAYPAL and EBAY. My losses 424 US. Ebay said, "No we cannot help go to Paypal". The second week I am doing my best to reach paypal. No way. It easier to reach Elon Musk. I am going to write him what they did with his company. Regards.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

It works great until you have to contact the resolution center. You would have to call several times to find a resolution to one problem and each conversation would be completely different than what they said last time. In my first experience, they refunded my money, after a few weeks they chargeback my credit card saying that I did not respond to their email. Why would I have to monitor my secondary email address once I got my resolution?

My second experience was I never accepted the delivery that was damaged during shipping, PayPal promises me that I will get the money back in 10 days. Next week they close the case saying that I did not respond to their email. Why do I need to respond to your email? You are the one who said you will give me the money back in 10 days. I wasted several hours trying to get my $300 back. Finally, I closed my account that I was using since 2012.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I have been using Paypal since 2019 without any issues. I usually only make 1 or 2 purchases per month. At the beginning of this month (September), Paypal suddenly and inexplicably limited my account, citing "suspicious activity detected" and demanded I submit a picture of my ID, which I did so. According to their customer support, supplying Paypal with the requested information is all you need to do to get an account limitation removed.

When I submitted my ID and waited 3 to 5 business days as they advised, I went back to the site to see if there was any change with my limitation and was confronted with a message saying "You can't use Paypal anymore" because I supposedly, "violated the User Agreement". Again, they still refused to give ANY specific reasoning, and I still have no idea what it is that I supposedly did to warrant these actions. I know I haven't done anything. I'd only made 2 transactions for the entire month of August: a donation, and a 5 euro subscription payment for a VPN that I use. I have no idea what it is that I supposedly did wrong and Paypal refuses to elaborate on what warranted their closing of my account.

If all they were doing is closing my account though, I'd have no issue with it. I can just switch to traditional banking. In fact I was planning to. That's not all they're doing though. In the same message they put on my account to notify me that it was being closed, they said that they'd be holding my funds for 180 days (6 months) before "sending instructions" to my email on how to transfer my funds off the account. This is unacceptable. I can't wait 6 months while some corporation holds my money hostage for no reason.

Once again, they have not provided any reason for why they're doing this to me. At the very least, I'm owed an explanation. This is unfair and insane. I am still in the process of trying to get my funds transferred off of my account, because I cannot wait 6 entire months for them. I don't recommend that anyone do business with Paypal. You never know when this company will suddenly decide that they want to close your account and hold your money hostage for 6 months for no real reason.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Last month I purchased Apple AirPod Pros online at a good price from a seller in NY with confidence because the vendor was PayPal approved. To summarize, the AirPod Pros were both counterfeit and defective and PayPal’s Resolution Center and PayPal’s final offer to me was that I would get my $114.98 returned to me only after I mailed the counterfeit AirPod Pros to China (?) at my expense — which would cost me between $30 to $50.

There were so many things wrong with the way PayPal handled my claim that’s it’s difficult to know where to start. In chronological order here’s what happened. Immediately upon receiving the AirPod Pros I opened the package, checked to make sure they were charged and then connected them to Bluetooth on my IPhone. Next I started checking their features. Since I was already familiar with the AirPod Pros, I knew how they should work. First I noticed that the “clicking” touch feature sounded strange and was erratic — often not working at all. Next I noticed that the noise cancellation feature did not work at all. That was one of the best features of the Pros. In the belief that I had just got a defective product, I got online and scheduled an appointment the next day at my local Apple Store.

When I took the Pros in the Apple technical first said they would probably just give me a new set and take the defective ones. He then took the Pros to verify the serial number. That’s when he discovered that they were counterfeit — not an Apple product. He suggested I return them to the seller and he gave me a copy of the work order stating that they were counterfeit.

Aware that PayPal requested that the buyer first contact the seller before filing a complaint with them, I emailed the seller in NY. I told them Apple said their product was counterfeit. The seller responded by apologizing and offering a small, partial refund if I would pay to return the product to them. There was no denial by them that the product was counterfeit. I declined. The seller responded with a second offer of 50% refund and I could keep the defective counterfeits. I declined again. The seller then responded for a third time with a response that was confusing and conflicting in its wording but clearly not acceptable.

After this third unsuccessful attempt to work with the seller, I filed a claim with PayPal’s Resolution Center. And that is where this whole affair started getting surrealistic. I had a picture in my mind of PayPal being a strong advocate of the consumer — someone I could rely on to protect me from fraudulent vendors. I pictured them to be somewhat like Amazon or WalMart in that respect. Believe me, they are not.

I found it very difficult uploading documents to attach to my claim. It took a second attempt and even then I was not sure it had all gone thru. PayPal forwarded my claim to the seller and then gave me their response — which was exactly their earlier offer that I had rejected. I was given 2 options by PayPal — to accept or decline. I declined. I wanted to upload more documents to PayPal — things I had not been able to upload earlier because of their limitation of upload volume as well as how difficult it was. There was no option by the Resolution Center to do that unless they requested it first.

Then the Resolution Center sent me an email that the seller agreed to refund me the total of $114.98 — BUT there were conditions attached. The devil is always in the detail. Even though I had purchased the product from a NY vendor and they were mailed to me from a NY address, I had to return them to China AT MY EXPENSE to one of the strangest addresses I had ever heard of. It was not a street address — more a description of a location and a full paragraph long. And until it was received and in an acceptable condition as determined by the vendor my refund would not be paid. I could see where that was going.

The Resolution Center further stated that if I didn’t comply within 10 days they would close out my claim. They left me with no other option — either comply fully and pay the expensive postage with no assurance I would ever see my original investment or give up on my claim. I already knew the vendor was selling defective counterfeit products and now I was expected to give them back their product and trust them not to lie again and allow me to get my $114.98 back. Didn’t PayPal see that the vendor was coming out of this with no loss at all and it was costing me from $30 to $50 at best? They wanted me to risk even more loss.

Now, one more observation about PayPal’s Resolution Center — after trying to work with them I am now of the opinion that their operating system is intentionally designed to benefit the seller and not the customer. My guess is that it is all structured on the dollar and what is more profitable to PayPal. I even have my doubts that there is actually a physical staff working for the Resolution Center. To me everything seems to be “canned” — their actions and responses. I could not find a single way to talk to a live person or to exchange emails with a live human being. Their online chat is clearly with a machine because often its responses are not even relevant.

I will probably never know if PayPal agreed with me that the vendor was selling defective and counterfeit Apple products and they just didn’t care. I won’t know if anyone at PayPal actually looked at the Apple work order I sent them that clearly stated the product was counterfeit or looked at the photo of the vendor’s webpage claiming they were selling the AirPod Pros to me as legitimate Apple products. But regardless, PayPal decided I should be the one to suffer a loss and not their vendor.

Wendell

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

PayPal withdrew funds from my bank account without my authorization and their response is that it is not their problem and I will get my money back when I get my money back. They blame the consumer. Take no responsibility and their response to asking how this even happened was 'we don't know'. I have contacted my bank, PayPal and the BBB to try and get this resolved - they have the worst customer service.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Thought I was on a legitimate Makita site (**) buying tools. I check out and transferred to PayPal. Click on pay and the amount is for 99.00 instead of the original amount. No item description and the seller, turns out has an email that is connected with the dark web. (**). Paypal was less than helpful if not non existent. Lesson here is Paypal does NOT check up on their sellers and you can be scammed with little care from Paypal. Good luck even talking with a human as that is the only way you will ever be able to have at least a conversation about resolve. Otherwise it's just generic prompts that don't take you anywhere. I have cancelled my accounts and will never use their services again as they do not care about your security in the slightest.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Don’t purchase using PayPal if you ever expect to rely on their Protection Plan. Here’s my experience:

1. I ordered 4 outdoor security cameras from a vendor and paid with PayPal.
2. After not hearing anything from the vendor I emailed them requesting the status of my order.
3. They emailed saying that it had been shipped and signed for and provided me a tracing report.
4. However the tracking report was only for an “envelope’” that had allegedly been signed by someone I never heard of and certainly doesn’t live at my home address.
5. I initiated a Dispute Resolution procedure with PayPal that at advanced to a Complaint.
6. After a number of email exchanges with PayPal they Declined my claim citing to the bogus tracking report that the vendor submitted, a tracking report that did not even list a ship to address.

7. PayPay totally disregard these three glaring red flags that a child could have caught and eventually sided with an obvious scammer.

Lessons: Know your vendor. Don’t purchase from internet pop-up ads. Don’t expect PayPal to help out if you do get scammed. Report your bad PayPal experiences with the Federal Trade Commission.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Long story short. I recently purchased a grill for my father's pickup truck. For $175 from Autoprooparts.com and used PayPal so I would be “protected”. Well the grill arrived broken and unusable. I reached out to the company with no responses. So of course I would turn to PayPal because I’m a “valued customer”. Well that’s been a extremely stressful experience for weeks. After they got the company to respond, I was told I had to send it back to get a refund. But it couldn’t go back to where I ordered it… they gave me an address in China. Well that would cost about $450…. And of course I was told I’m responsible for the shipping accordingly to PayPal. I called them back *third time now* to explain to them the new issue, including photos of damages again and the slip from ups with the quote. This has red flags and scam written all over it. They agreed that wasn’t right and they will handle it.

About a week goes by…. Now I’m being told I have to take this plastic grill to an authorized dealer, assess the damages and have them write a certified letterhead explaining the part is unusable to get a refund. They clearly have no idea what they are doing or talking about. It would be like ordering a box of kitchen dishes, then arriving shattered and being told a third party authorized dealer had to justify you had broken plates to be refunded. This is one of the worst experiences I’ve ever been through Over an online order. And PayPal is worst than the company that sold me the broken part.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I had to change my phone number, but was not able to update the phone number on my PayPal. So anytime I went to log in, PayPal still wanted to send a code to the old number. Simple fix should be to call PayPal, so I do. They update the number to my current cell number, and that should have been it. Wrong! Even though they updated the number, PayPal still has the old number linked to my account and the code has to be sent to that number in order for me to log in. I've talked to them about three different times about this. Nothing has been fixed yet. I am still not able to log into my PayPal on my computer or any other device aside from my phone. I am very furious and will be giving them yet another call.

PayPal Company Information