1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2416 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been making monthly payments to PayPal and am not making any purchases. But It was disappointing to see that my balance has never really went down and my available credit was low. I talked to a representative and found out that I have been charged over $120 in "interest fees", since September (2018). I did make a cash advance (Sept. 2018) within my available credit and for a $75.00 money transfer, I found out that I was charged nearly $25 dollars in "fees". I read on the web page, how money transfers had a charge of $9. Where did the $25 fee come from? The customer rep that I talked to, said that the interest fees were non-negotiable and I basically have to live with it. It is not right or fair, that only $36 of my $72 monthly payment is applied to the balance. Something's got to be done about them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

PayPal restricted my account after years of having them, for "they say I filed too many cases where I didn't get my items, from sellers". I have never heard of such a thing. PayPal claims they protect your purchases, and you have the right to file a claim, when you don't receive your items. Also they were asked to completely, close my account, after I found out they still have my personal information in the account, my address, my phone number, my email, and my credit card on file.

Every time they were contacted they gave me the same song and dance, and different reps responded to several BBB complaints, giving me the same excuse, "your PayPal account is restricted permanently," and for the reason I gave, which is not right, and they won't remove the private information and close permanently, so they still have access to it. I cannot remove the stuff because they have it in there. I can't, that is not right, this company is not treating people fairly, and have many complaints against them, PayPal, Inc. 2211 North First Street San Jose CA 95131.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I made a large payment to cover promotional balances but PayPal decided to apply my payment towards other purchases instead. Leaving me with a large bill that will now be charged interest. Customer support could not do anything because it was over a month ago.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

WEBSITE USELESS with regard to getting your current account summary. When I go to my account page, it does not show the ACTUAL balances and activity, so I am forced to make phone calls to their (unhelpful) customer service reps to find out my balances. Nice reps, very sweet, but don't know (or can't tell you) anything.

The bank-to-PayPal transfers take ages, so if you need to refund money your customers will have to wait for WEEKS. The PayPal agent actually told me to tell my waiting customer that SHE should call PayPal to find out why her refund is taking so long! There is more, but you get the gist. If PayPal had any real competition, they would be out of business.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I attempted to buy a pair of shoes from what turned out to be a Chinese company and the shoe size was different from the listed size. I kept asking the company for a refund and they repeatedly attempted to get me to accept a discount for another pair of shoes. Finally after several emails, they sent me a refund address to mail the shoes to, which cost an additional 20.00 USD. I finally filed a complaint against them with Paypal since I had received no refund from them and the cut off date for filing a complaint was nearing. Paypal finally returned a decision that I had no proof of having sent the shoes back, which I clearly did. Paypal is clearly negligent in their claims about protecting the consumer and I have subsequently closed my account with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Freezing your account before offering you as a customer a reasonable solution. Holding your balance for 180 days without being able to dispute an action. Lack of customer service solutions over the phone or online.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I ordered some items Nov 26, 2018 and used PayPal. The items showed in stock and will ship within 24 hours guaranteed. They were to be Christmas presents. I received an email a couple of days later stating that my items would ship in 2 to 3 weeks. I replied to the email stating that if it were to be more than 2 weeks I wanted to cancel the order. The only reply I received was a generic response stating "Thank you for your patience". Every 3 to 4 days I would send an email asking for an update and all I got back was the same generic response. No actual person ever replied.

After 3 weeks of no shipment I contacted the seller again and cancelled the order and requested a full refund. That was Dec 18, 2018. I never received a refund so I opened a dispute with PayPal on Jan 3, 2019. All I got back from them is that they would make a decision by Feb 7, 2019. They waited and waited until after the items were shipped to me (well after the order was cancelled) on Jan 30, 2019. That is when PayPal sent me an email stating that my claim was being denied because the items were shipped. The items should never had been shipped. The dispute was for a refund not to force the seller to ship the items. I contacted PayPal by phone then and explained the case to a dispute clerk. She stated that I was correct and that I should have received the refund and that there was an appeal process that she could file.

I receive another email from PayPal about 2 hours later stating that my case was still being denied. Not really enough time to review the facts. So it was up to me to go to the post office and return the items at my expense and hope for a refund. If that does not happen I will need to file a dispute with my credit card service and go through the whole process again. How could I give a Christmas present to people the first of Feb when they were guaranteed to be shipped no later than Nov 27. It is quite clear that PayPal only supports its high volume high dollar sellers and could care less about the small individual person like me. All I can say is beware of using PayPal if you think that they will support you in a dispute. They will turn their back on you in a dispute in favor of the almighty dollar.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My account is limited very long time for some reason. This means I can't send or receive any money. Basically I have an account just to watch its beauty. I don't know why they suddenly set my account limited, they told me they couldn't tell me the reason. All they could tell me that my account has too much risk to use it. I requested them to cancel my account if there is too much risk because I have my SSN, phone number, my address and bank account information. They don't even delete these information or close the account. This means I cant use my account but they keep it open so someone else can use it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

If you have Paypal and a Paypal Credit account and have tried to get a refund on a fraudulent purchase that a seller sold you crap or something you could have downloaded or research online for free. You know what I am talking about. Paypal sucks in their dispute resolutions. Their credit line also sucks in disputes as they aren't actually a real credit card company and handle disputes the same crap way as Paypal's usual Disputes. Not like a credit card company that protect its customers and immediately issues a chargeback to the seller. Paypal doesn't care about their customers. Fortunate for me I will be maxing out the credit line and later on settling on the debt for pennies on the dollar using The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Take that you ** pieces of **!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

One year ago, I purchased a software package over the internet using PayPal. I recently got a charge for a significantly higher amount that said it was an automatic renewal. Furthermore it was charged directly to my linked checking account and not through the credit card registered with PayPal that I ALWAYS use. As I researched my account I saw where multiple vendors were listed as being able to automatically charge my account without my knowledge. Check your account - you have to click the little cogwheel in the top right, then select the "payments" tab to see the automatic payments, then click "manage automatic payments". Here you will find both active and inactive selections.

Everyone should log on to their PayPal account and see who is authorized to make automatic charges to your account. I had 4 different vendors - I changed all to inactive except for eBay. We will see if this works? Why do they record the "inactive" ones? Shouldn't they just be deleted? This concerns me. Anyway I filed a claim with PayPal to recover these unapproved charges. The claim was almost immediately denied stating it was set up on "automatic" payments. I did not do this! And I have never made a payment from my bank account directly in the 15 years I have used Paypal. This is the second time an unauthorized charge has been placed against my account in less than 6 months. In both cases, PayPal denied the claim. The first one was for $300!

I challenged the denial only to be denied again citing the same reason. So where is the protection for the consumer? PayPal has a monopoly on Ebay payments so you don't have any other valid choices when using eBay. Oh yeah - they happen to be owned by Ebay. Imagine that! Their security is lax, their customer service sucks and they have flip flopped from the beginning and now only watch out for the sellers - not the buyers. And if someone charges your account without your consent - well you are going to pay pal! And who has the time, money or resources to fight them? No single average person has a chance. So avoid them if you can - it is the only way we can fight to help change their behavior. Boy I would hate to have a job where my role was screwing people out of their money.

Oh and every time you file a claim for unauthorized use, you will get an automated phone call asking if the charge is valid. Every time, I selected option 1 stating it was not valid and was told I could hang up then. Most times I got another call repeating this and did the same thing. Then you have to sign on and they make you change your password and go through multiple steps. Then you have to re-synch with Ebay. Why - the unauthorized charge wasn't someone stealing the password, it was all within "their" system. So be ready for the punishment of trying to resolve your problem. There are reasons for the laws against monopolies and this just reconfirms why. Beware - I warned you! You are going to "pay pal"!

PayPal Company Information