1.09/5

2543 PayPal Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

Recently made a purchase online using PayPal but selected a specific credit card for a reason. The same day, a friend paid me back for tickets I bought. PayPal took that money to pay the online purchase "per policy" and there is no way to transfer the money to myself or get the money back. I don't recommend this service solely for the reason that they get to decide what money you have to use. The agent even asked me what my plan was with the money in my account if I had not transferred it already. This level of disrespectful service is why I'm discontinuing my account asap.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Here's a recent PayPal quote which sums it up quite nicely: "We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account." This company embodies US capitalism today. As Wall Street has taken a shine to PayPal, the company's customer service, for both vendors and consumers, has declined in an inversely proportional manner. Make no mistake: the money in your PayPal account belongs to PayPal, who ultimately decides when and how you get to use it.

They are known to lock up balances without reasonable explanation, and sometimes indefinitely. Additionally, KYC/AML and the rest of banking's overreaching regulations have moved their way to PayPal as the company's business model has evolved, further distancing customers from their own finances. Unless you are a long shareholder, stay away from PayPal at all costs. We sold our entire positions after reading the quote at the top this review. Even eBay has begun to get away as they have introduced Google Pay as another option. This is exactly what happens when a corporation gets too big and powerful in an industry with such high entry barriers and costs of compliance.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I used PayPal to purchase two smartphones from a Chinese online retail store (Trendswa.com, aka jerseysale.info, brandssneaker.com, mallcen.com and lvsave.com). At first, they shipped a Gucci beanie to me, because they apparently had run out of stock on the phones and thought I'd be content to receive something, which of course I wasn't. At this point I contacted PayPal to intervene and force them to return my money. PayPal refused, saying that the item had been delivered, and case closed. I had used PayPal thinking that I'd have some protection if things went awry, but to my dismay, they failed to provide any protection at all. So, never use PayPal outside of eBay, because they won't back you up if the merchant is an unscrupulous cheat, as in my case. And at this point, using PayPal at eBay may not be a good idea either.

Original review: April 12, 2019

If anyone is looking to use PayPal for their business or for their personal life I would highly recommend NOT doing this. I have had so many issues with PayPal which has lead me to not receiving my money for months on end. The team members who you speak to over the phone are the least helpful, and each one did not listen to my needs or requirements. It's ok if you hate your job but that is not my fault. I earned my money and it should NOT be so difficult to receive it. Absolute waste of my time. More hassle than necessary. Rude staff. I made 7 phone calls on different days with the same damn problem... You kept sending me the same damn emails and I kept responding with the same damn answer. It's 2019!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I made a purchase on eBay from a seller that claimed to be selling authentic purses, and claimed that his location was in the US. It turned out to be a fake, and the location sent from was China. Normally I was allowed 30 days to return the item, buyer pays shipping. Since the location was not in the US as claimed and item not authentic as advertised, I contacted PayPal so that the seller would be the one responsible for the shipping return. PayPal return with their verdict that I should be the one paying the return shipping to China (not the US as agreed to when making the purchase) even though the seller had sold me an item different from what advertised and on top of that had been deceptive to where the item would be shipped back to. It sounds to me like PayPal is not working to protect buyers, but supporting fraudulent actions from sellers. Never will I use PayPal again to make a purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I recently signed up for a new bank account with Discover to use to pay my PayPal Credit account. In the process of adding the account, the web form did not inform me that the "trial deposit" to verify adding a new bank takes between 2-3 business days. So when I did not see the deposits in my Discover bank account, I removed the bank account from PayPal and re-added it. I did this about 3-4 times thinking the system was broken. Then I called PayPal for support, and then they tell me that it takes 2-3 business days for the deposits to go through. So I attempted to re-add the account to wait out the 2-3 days, only to find I had been locked out of my account features.

Then I was forced to go through very scrutinizing verification process which forced me to change my password, then (answer security questions/phone verification/verify credit card number on the account/up-load photo ID), only to find out I was STILL locked out of my account features. Then it asked me to provide a statement for the bank account that I was trying to add, which I cannot do because the account is new, and hasn't generated a statement yet. So during all this crap, guess what? The deposits went through!!! So I attempted to upload an image of the deposits from my Discover bank account activity, to prove to PayPal that I own the Discover bank account I am trying to add, and that STILL isn't good enough for them!?

I enjoy using PayPal to pay my bills etc, but their security features do not help the client secure their account, it breaks it, rendering it useless. All of which could be avoided with a simple line of text on the adding bank account form = "If you have to verify your account with trial deposits, be advised it takes 2-3 business days for the deposits to go through". Just that simple line would save people a lot of headaches!!! C’mon people where is the user friendly interface, and public relations locking someone out of their account after proving 5-7 forms of identity proof? So now it looks like I have to wait a damn month for Discover to generate a statement for me to upload to PayPal to prove I own the account, when I already proved I own the account with the deposit information!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I bought 3 set of spinner luggage and never received it. I filed the disputed with PayPal. PayPal sent me the tracking number it show the seller shipped small packages in my mailbox, how they can put 3 set of luggage into the mailbox with the envelope? I call PayPal 5 times to explains that in no way the luggage will fixed in the mailbox but PayPal said the seller proved that they already shipped with the tracking number provided. PayPal will not protect the consumer, they only defend the scams seller.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have had a previous bad experience with PayPal but good with eBay, however, When I asked the eBay seller to allow a return because the controller did not work with any of my drones, they agreed. When I tried to get my RMA number for the return I was directed to PayPal where they would not give me my RMA unless I signed up for a PayPal account. I purposely did not use PayPal for this purchase and now PayPal is forcing me to get a PayPal account or I can't get my $99 dollar return. This is not acceptable and I believe all of these cases need to be brought to people's attention on the national news. I will file a complaint with the BBB and eBay. If eBay lets this stand I will be very slow to order with them again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

It’s the second time they blocked our account and they do not refund after 180 days. Paypal is a mafia in Luxembourg. I do not recommend using these guys and their techniques for being there in Luxembourg and not paying taxes.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Terrible awful experience. Had my account for 3 days then just closed it after they stole $50 from me. Refused to transfer to my credit card and/or bank account. Mailed their "debit card" to the wrong address... twice. Still no access to that $50. RIPOFF. WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. NOT A BANK, DOESNT CARE.

PayPal Company Information