3.8/5 (1313 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: July 10, 2022

Paypal HAS NO Buyer Protection!! Paypal is a scammer's friend.!!! I ordered a processor at EBAY that costs a total of 3500 USD. Thinking that Paypal has a buyer's protection they have been advertising throughout the years. The scammer (from China) sent the items to different addresses (I tracked it via Fedex) to make it appear that the item was delivered. I filed a complaint to Paypal 9 times and my request to get the refund was denied twice by the Paypal customer service and managers.

How come they did the scammer get my money by just like that? I've been a paypal customer for 12 years and I've closed it right away because of my frustrations. I am glad eBay dumped Paypal because Paypal is a scammer's friend. It is easy to track that the item was delivered intentionally to the wrong address but they did not do an investigation at all. I urge everybody to stop using Paypal because they have not helped me at all in any transanctions over the course of 12 long years. Please avoid Paypal. Paypal is a big scam. Paypal is anti-consumers. Their buyer protection program is a BIG JOKE!!!

Original review: July 4, 2022

I hope everybody sees this. Do not use PayPal. Go to cash app, PayPal has been giving me the run around for two weeks after I turned in what information they wanted. Now they have my money locked and I can't get it. Cash app has never given me one problem. And they will take care of a problem in less than an hour. My bf was charged extra from a store, guess what cash app had his money back within the hour. If you don't want to jump through hoops or don't have time to sit and explain every transaction you best go to anywhere but PayPal.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Somehow someone logged into my account and attempted to purchase. I was alerted by my credit card company, but they were not able to stop the purchases totaling $649.50. It was impossible to speak with an agent. I was hung up on and put on hold for an hour. I was finally able to speak with a supervisor who told me nothing could be done and hung up. DO NOT OPEN AN PAYPAL/VENMO ACCOUNT. I now forced to bring legal action in court in order to have my money returned.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I paid for an item via a debit card tied to my PayPal acct. The scammer withdrew the money directly from my checking acct as if it was an e-check pmt bypassing the debit card and protection plan. PayPal allowed them to do this knowing it would relieve them of any buyer protection. Neat little loophole they’ve created to rip off buyers. Do not trust PayPal. They are not secure and happy to work with scammers.

Original review: June 29, 2022

As a company whose primary business is managing money, security should be their top concern. Their website claims that it is. However, it is not possible to get in contact with a live person at PayPal to report identity theft outside of the 6 am - 6 pm PST timeframe. My son received a notification that his PayPal account had been hacked. He tried to access his account, and also change his password - but no luck. Since it was 10 pm CST, no one was available on the customer service line. He and I both looked for over an hour for a way to contact PayPal in emergency situations (i.e. someone draining your bank account through PayPal), but found nothing.

There is also no way to lock the account electronically if you can't get in to it, which is the case if the account has been stolen. As someone who works in Information Technology for a Fortune 500 company, and is very familiar with the type of threats constantly being received from hackers, this is completely unacceptable from a security standpoint.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I was scammed by a PayPal fraud (hacked into an Amazon website) and immediately went to Paypal to correct the payment. They said it was a valid charge and could not help. I then went to Wells Fargo (as it came out of my bank acct) and they also validated the charge and would not reimburse. There is no guarantee with this type of system, so if you do not know the person on the other end, DO NOT use this service.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I called customer service for help logging into my account and received none. When I click forgot password on the link to send one to my email it says. "Sorry something happened on our end," so I called customer service. They say the only way to get into my account is to give them my old card number which I no longer have. I think it's a poor setup and I won't be using again it doesn't look like.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Used PP for a while with no problems. On June 5, 2022 they withdrew on two transactions, a total of $400. I did not authorize or do these transactions. I asked PP for help to fix this and they refused. Money transfer was to my son but I did not send it. They stonewalled the issue. My son got the money unfrozen and returned it to me. Bad experience. Cancelled PP and Venmo accounts. Would have given them zero stars if that was a choice.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I feel fortunate that I never had to contact PayPal customer support many times. I fell prey to an online fraud seller who sold me a digital subscription for 6 months. The subscription ended within days. The seller never responded to my messages. I reported fraud to PayPal with all supporting details, including proof of purchase, item description and non-responsive messages. Thanks to PayPal's robotic service, PayPal asked me to return the item and send the shipping tracking ID. It was clear to me there was no human interaction up to that point.

I explained the item was a digital subscription and there was no shipment to return. They rejected my claim. I reached out to customer support to have a human interaction to explain the fraud. They re-opened my claim and rejected it again a day after saying "your purchase is not covered under our user agreement". The seller must be laughing out loud and praising his "user agreement" with PayPal. I have read reviews from the seller that their customers are cheating them with fake returns. Instead of helping genuine sellers, PayPal started favoring sellers. Fraud or not. PayPal was great until I contacted customer support. That was my last transaction with PayPal. I would love to return to PayPal as a seller when I stoop to their level.

Original review: June 13, 2022

People who do not have a mobile phone can no longer log into their PayPal accounts. PayPal uses ones mobile phone for security and cannot be bothered to offer an alternative. As a result, I have cancelled my PayPal account.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Despite being a customer for close to 20 years without a single issue. When I recently went to sell something I was hit with "Your money is pending". First they kept my money for 21 days, and then they kept my money for 5 days to transfer to my bank account. They kept MY MONEY for 26 days and drew INTEREST off of it despite charging me steep fees! When I called to complain they tried to claim it's for "Buyer protection". No, the buyer actually has 180 days to file a dispute. And my PayPal would go negative and I would have to pay it back before using it again. So why hold onto MY MONEY for 26 days? Because they are making money off the interest by acting in bad faith with the consumer. I am currently looking into alternatives to PayPal as I am completely disgusted by them.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I order and pay through PayPal. But the seller scammer, I try to contact but can not because contact info was not correct. I ask to dispute the payment to Paypal. Paypal does not trust me. Paypal did not do anything for me, just ask more evidence. Worst experience with Paypal. I do not use anymore.

Original review: June 4, 2022

I have had an account since it was known at Bill me Later. Of late, I have been blocked from my account by a text only option of verification. I have called customer service to tell them I do not own a cellphone, so text is not an option. I was told there was no other way, so I am locked out of my own account now until who knows when. I would not recommend this company if you do not have a cell phone by choice.

Original review: June 1, 2022

DO NOT sign up for PayPal Business! We needed a way to accept credit cards for our business and had a PayPal account, they boasted all these great things you can do with a PayPal business account so we signed up. We had a large sale and sent an invoice to the customer who paid via company credit card using the link PayPal sent. It's coming up on 2 weeks and the payment is still on hold. We provided tracking that shows it was delivered and accepted and did everything PayPal said we needed to do to release the payment and it's still "Pending".

This is the worst experience I've ever had with any company and will be cancelling it if and when this payment becomes available. We are a growing business and expect many more large transactions and after this experience WILL NOT be using PayPal from here on out. Oh, and they conveniently took their share out of the "On Hold" payment right off the bat! If it's "On Hold" then they shouldn't get paid either!!

Original review: May 31, 2022

This used to be a good online banking option but these days the customer service is poor. I recently lost my son and had to close his PayPal account and sent them all the requested paperwork that I had, and it has been almost 2 months with no results. I'm waiting for help again and have been waiting for ten minutes. The customer service is poor. I am writing the correct authorities to report them.

Original review: May 26, 2022

My teenage son had opened an account but never used it! I receive all his emails. The other day I see an unauthorized charge for money sent to someone outside this country. I called right away and they wouldn't stop the transaction. They let it go through even though it was fraudulent. I filed a dispute and they denied it. They kept telling me to file a dispute with my bank. My teenager has a debit card with Greenlight for kids. They denied my dispute. I don't understand how paypal does not do a KYC verification as the account should have never existed since my son is a minor

Original review: May 24, 2022

Today, I had difficulty logging into my PayPal account. This was because, after I entered my email and password, I was directed to a screen stating that a security screening was necessary. There were only two (2) options for this screening: call or text. Either would be to a phone number I used in a different province, that has been out of service for approximately five (5) years. Therefore, I was unable to log into my account.

I promptly phoned customer service, with the notion of changing the phone number for the security screening. When I spoke to an agent, I provided all information they asked for. I was then told that my account could not be "fully validated" without the full address I had when I created my PayPal account. I gave them my current address, as well as both addresses I had when I had the expired phone number mentioned above. For one of the addresses, I had to dig through my email for a lease renewal from 2013. None of these matched their system.

I asked if there was any other information I could give: date of birth, SIN, and I even jokingly offered to share my blood type. No, the agent said, the system is asking for the full address when you created the account. I asked if they had access to anyone who could override the system request. The answer was no. This was despite, as I reminded them, that this is an e-commerce company. I am now permanently unable to log into my PayPal account. I would say I will never use your services again due to this incredibly unhelpful customer service, but in truth, that does not matter. I will never use your services again because I am incapable of logging into my account.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Awful company. Good platform for scammers. Abysmal customer service by phone. Keep you on hold hours and then disconnect. Eventually you might speak with an untrained associate. Sneaky schemes that hold your money. Sneaky fees for transfers. Stupidly long transfer times. App just sends you in circles. Any rating with five stars is an inside-job. Avoid PP if at all possible.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Do not trust this company :) They have Call Centers in India and South America. They don't have Mangaer or Supervisors to solve YOUR problem. I have a small business and PayPal made me a charge back without my authorization. I want to make a dispute and it is impossible. I've had about 20 calls and they didn't solve anything. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SYSTEM - PAYPAL- FOR BUSINESS. DON'T DO IT.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I called PayPal when a company that makes mobile phone cases (CaseBus.com) sent my package to the wrong address (I caught their mistake immediately after they sent the receipt) and refused to help me with the issue after 24+ contacts from me by calls, texts, emails all within 12 hours of purchase. PayPal Customer Service Rep "Grant" wasted my time with a quick response of "can't help you". Seriously? Paypal partners with CaseBus as you can see on their website and could easily have resolved this with a call to the company but refused. I suggest you read All the reviews on PayPal prior to using them. There are lots of high quality competitors out there.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I have been in business for fourteen years; I have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau despite not subscribing to their service; I am a leader in my industry. We're not the largest company in our industry, but we're far from the smallest, and we process a lot of transactions in a year's time. For several years now, I have used Paypal to process credit card transactions for my customers when they purchased items that we don't sell through our website, such as live fish.

They just in the last month have put a hold on multiple large transactions once the customer had paid me, despite having processed transactions as large and larger many times in the past with no holds or notice of such. I have only had one refund request in all the years I have utilized their service, and I promptly issued the refund, and that was two years ago. Their website states that you can request a higher transaction limit, but when you click on the link it takes you to a general information page with no way to make said request. I tried sending multiple requests to them for help with this matter through their contact form; no one even bothered to reply. My company did the work for which they're holding my money, three weeks ago, and they still haven't released my money. If you like being treated like dirt, use Paypal.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I bought a bra from one of these scammers in China and paid with my PayPal. I contacted Paypal for a refund since the seller was not responding and Paypal is not helping either. I will never use Paypal again.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Avoid using Paypal and boycott them. If you are a seller I won't recommend anyone to create a Paypal account. Especially small/medium businesses stay away from Paypal. You will end up getting your Paypal account banned for no reason. They will provide foolish reasons when contacted (contacting them is very difficult if you get banned, you will be blocked and your message won't get reply once you get banned) and will hold up all your money for 6 months and will end up eating your hard earned money at the end. Even if you have hold on $1 or $1 million, all your money will be transferred to Paypal before 6 months ends up. They are thiefs. Screw them.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I had switched my primary bank account funding source on May 2, 2022. I did this because I opened up a new bank account and was closing the old one. By doing this it had made, in theory, the new account listed as the primary defaulted funding source, and the old account as a back up funding source. On May 3, 2022 to May 6, 2022 I had made some charges through by debit Mastercard with them. A total of 5 charges in which they now refuse to collect the amounts on the proper primary defaulted account that I listed with them. Instead they continue to try and charge my old bank account which I have since deleted from the platform. This has caused me to incur a large amount of insufficient bank fees and the account will not close now as a result of their poor actions.

I have been on the phone with them twice, both times told that they would fix this and both times outright lied to because it keeps happening. I have resorted to electronic communication with them, and now I am on my 5th attempt to get this resolve as they keep pretending they have no idea what I am talking about. This is CRIMINAL behavior. At this point I am putting them on notice that since they do not want to do the right thing, that they are 100% responsible for all my banking fees and will be going after them for paying. On top of all this they have of course restricted my account because they refuse to collect upon the charges I made through the right bank account. Paypal is the worst and they are a rogue company now. I will not use them ever again.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I order cat litter off of an online pet store that everyone has heard of, I have it auto shipped to my house every 8 weeks, the amount is always the same, 57 dollars and some change. The other day I noticed a charge for 137 on my card that I did not place, tried to go on the pet store's website, but it kept saying my password was wrong and that my email was not correct. Called the pet stores customer service and they asked me a bunch of security questions and we finally came to realize someone accessed my account and changed the email and password and then placed an auto payment using the PayPal account I had set up for my own normal auto payments.

I opened a dispute with PayPal to get my money back as I did not place the order and PayPal denied the claim because the transaction was not unauthorized. They claim that because I have auto payments set up with the pet store I had to have placed the order since it was placed as a auto-payment. Never mind the fact that my payments are always only 57 dollars and this one was for 137 dollars, or the fact that the address it was shipping it to is not mine, the email that was used was not mine, and the name they used was not mine. Isn't this what PayPal is supposed to be used for? So people can feel safer using their cards on the internet, so they have less of a worry about what will happen in their card numbers are stolen? Wasn't that the whole point of PayPal? Worst experience ever with PayPal.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Paypal lies for the sellers selling defective parts to customers. Paypal allows them to rip you off. I had a receipt showing from a mechanic the part I bought on eBay was defective. Even with proof Paypal lied to me. Said eBay denied the claim and in fact it was Paypal that allowed them to steal from me. CROOKS!!!! STAY AWAY FROM Paypal. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Online vendor had the Generator I desired! I had a debit card called DIRECT EXPRESS. PayPal was banned from paying for things by this card company! However the transaction went through no problem. I chose another Item but the card denied that purchase. Turned out it was good thing???? The company was in the UK, the site said they were slow because of Covid-19 and help was hard put to get things done. However they took my money and sent an email saying they had received my payment.

Now for PayPal: After 10 days waiting on some response I contacted PayPal. Here is what happened: First they wanted me to open and account. Which I attempted but had a voice of internet phone so did not qualify. Going to Google I found another email which was for higher up's and sent two emails stating I needed to ask for a refund and had no phone so could not open an account. However three different people all told me how to open an account one even sent video's. I replied with pictures of the transaction! But because it was not secured they never showed????

I finally gave the last person the transaction number the PayPal had sent me and said I could not open an account, YES THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT IT! So I lost my money! I lost faith in the USA PayPal based in China, Run by China. I would never suggest using them! This is twice I have lost money by using them!!!! Think I would learn wouldn't you?

Original review: May 4, 2022

If you are a business owner receiving money this Corp. Blows. It seems like the more business you do with them the harder it is to receive your money. With no explanation, they will hold your money for weeks. If you believe that, that money is just sitting there and not being invested, you are naive. Their excuse is the computer system dictates how long to hold your money. No rep I spoke to via text or phone call was ever allowed to override the system no matter what documentation was provided.

I did facial recognition, uploaded my ID docs, linked bank accounts, provided tracking numbers and even did facial recognition. They would not give me my money. In fact, it is a full-time job trying to get your money because the same CPU system that controls everything won't even recognize when an item that you gave tracking info was delivered. I will no longer be part of this fraudulent company. I honestly believe they would like to hold your money so they can invest it. And you see no interest if they hold it for weeks or months at a time.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I have used Paypal for years, mostly in connection with eBay, but I recently purchased a product using Paypal that turned out not be as advertised and merchant was not honoring its return/refund guaranties. The merchant advertised product was “Made in America” but it was shipped from China. They advertised 100% money back guarantee and free shipping and returns. When I contacted merchant, they only offered a 15% discount and pointed out that shipping to China would cost over $20 (50% of the cost of the product).

Even sending merchant copies of their own ads did nothing so I filed a complaint with Paypal. I had to go through three rounds of review and appeal, providing them with copies of the ads, copies of emails, etc. It was a simple case - merchant promised 100% money back guarantee. Paypal wouldn’t enforce it. The buyer protection confidence I had using Paypal just evaporated for all future purchases. PayPal’s service was as bad as the crooked Chinese merchant.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I spend more time on phone with Paypal than employment. They have the worst services and they change dates and have it so that there aren't any fast remedies for any issue. I am leaving them ASAP. No more.

PayPal Company Information