2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (3253 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Basically I made a purchase from a ad that was on Yahoo. The product was a portable pellet ice maker. The seller what is of course from China. After many weeks I received a ice scoop not the ice maker. I’ve put in a case with PayPal to try to resolve the issue with no really good solution. The seller States that they have sent the ice maker but really all I’ve gotten is a ice scoop. The seller says the third give me back my $39 if I return the ice maker. The cost of returning the ice scoop that I have received back to China would cost me $49 of which PayPal would refund me once a year up to $30 so I would been -$19 of the $39 I’ve paid to the seller so it cost me $19 to get back $20 a total waste of time and money. The moral of the story is don’t buy anything from a Yahoo ad because if the price seems too good it is don’t buy it.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

Paypal is extraordinary, it's not difficult to utilize and I appreciate that it's accessible on so many trader's site look at. I generally utilize that alternative when it's free, and it has set aside me cash. I requested something I'd seen on the web and never got it; took a stab at reaching the shipper twice and got no reaction either time. I put a case in on the Paypal site and after they took a stab at reaching the business I got a full discount on the buy. I like that I can have various record installment alternatives and pick assuming I need to utilize a charge or Mastercard for my buy inside the Paypal framework with a keystroke.

I likewise like having the option to return to my Paypal record and print receipts for things on the off chance that I've lost the first receipts. On the other hand, if you're a teenager without any bank cards or credit card, Paypal isn't for you. There are two reasons, first is you're below 18 years old and the last one is you cannot verify your account without bank account.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I have never had a problem with Pay-pal until now. All of a sudden they locked me from being able to withdraw money from my account and wanted copies of my ID and bank statements. Then wanted me to prove what I was selling. I have not sold anything through pay-pal only purchased items using my pay pal card. I gave them everything they needed and am still subject to be locked out of my account for at least a week.

I have all of my money in this account as I often use their services to cash my paychecks which by the way I pay quite a good amount towards fees to them in order to do this. Because of this I am broke and can't do the fun things I had planned with my children this weekend. They won't allow me access to my money which they should have no right to hold. Yet they will allow me to continue to add money to this very same account. Why exactly would I be stupid enough to continue to add money to an account that I can not get it back from is beyond me. And why pay pal would even think anyone at all would still want to do this is again beyond me.

I know that I will no longer be using pay pal services nor will I be paying their ridiculous amounts for fees any longer. If they are going to hold my hard earned money hostage from me then they will no longer be making any of that hard earned money from me for any reason. I hope this helps others in making a decision about if pay pal is safe or whether or not they are an honest fair company. I have had my account with them for over two years now and suddenly this is how they treat you. I know that if I were to treat the customers that come into my business this way I would not be in business for very long.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I made a purchase of a Trek bicycle from an Instagram ad. The ad ended up being a scam and I opened up a claim to recover my funds. PayPal says they investigate claims but all they do is ask the seller for proof that they 'shipped' something to the buyer, not what they shipped. In this case the seller sent me a postcard in lieu of a bicycle. After the claim was denied I called PayPal to explain their error but they simply aren't Interested in helping the buyer because the seller is worth more to them financially. It's sad. I started using the service years ago for the peace of mind it provided for online transactions... that security doesn't exists anymore. Given that there are other services that offer the same features I would suggest that others shop around instead of choosing PayPal. They are too big to care about the individual consumer anymore.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Bought 2 guitars from Facebook sales from China business. Time went on and no shipping notices. Filed with PayPal two amounts for two orders $99 and $98. PayPal did little to nothing, decided in China's favor and claimed delivery. China wins. American loses. Do not buy anything from China and buy nothing through PayPal because they are liars.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I had a PayPal account, I bought some stock in pay pal, off and on had issues logging into pay pal. One day this was at the beginning of the year, I waited a bit hoping I would get some of my lost $10,000.00 back. Didn’t happen. So with my issues logging in, I searched the phone number online for PayPal. I found it instantly I called the number, like most places today they said wait time was over an hour long and if I wanted to I could save my place in line by pushing a number, which I did. I did get a call back, the man was very convincing, and after all the call came from pay pal right, nothing to suspect. Wrong. The man had an Indian accent, very nice and very professional, he convinced me to let him into my cell phone, this was something that had been done before by cell company and others.

He said he seen the issue and would rectify it. To make it more legit to me they put $2400.00 in my Venmo account to verify, took it out, put it back in several different times, I even asked why so much money use a dollar or two, mean time, I was very gullible, and after all I did see the money going into my Venmo account, and he knew I had two pay pal accounts and other information. Then he got into my Coinbase account to make a long story shorter, pay pal never did a thing, I spoke to their security team. They said they have issues with people's money stolen daily, Coinbase took for ever but they finally locked my account the $9,700.00 was pending and hadn’t left my account yet, finally I got coinbase to lock my account, told them of the issue, that thieves had gotten into my phone and scheduled transfers out of my account which when I reached them hadn’t left yet.

I waited over a week, and got thru the verification process, and opened the coinbase account again, they never did a thing all my money left the account, Coinbase did not help at all, Venmo did not help at all, in fact here we are over 6 months later and they will not give me my $142.00 that was left in that account, the thieves used Venmo and coinbase to rob me, using pay pal to set up the scam, pay pal did not help me in any way whatsoever. To date the FBI has not even contacted me back, paypal has not contacted me back, Venmo stole the last of the cash that the thieves left me $142.00.

They actually send me an email and said they closed my account for some nonsense, at first they said I requested it, which I did in February asking them to refund my balance and close it, they refused, they wanted a new bank account number, I made arrangements with my bank for them to let them use my old account number once to get the money and then close it final. Venmo refused. PayPal refused to correct the phone number on line which would cause others like myself to get robbed, I cannot believe my eyes or our United States allowing innocent people to get robbed and do nothing about it.

Paypal, Coinbase, Venmo seemingly all in together to rob the innocent without any repercussions at all, at least not that I am aware of likely the list of people getting scammed is huge and mine is a small amount compare to others, PLEASE DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO THESE SCAMMERS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE LEGITIMATE. Do not allow call backs from any business ever. And do not allow anyone to have you download software to your cellphone ever. Any money lost is too much for anyone. I cannot believe what our government is allowing us all to fall prey to and retirement assets gone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

PayPal is such a horrible company to work with. I can honestly say they have the worst customer service I've ever had to deal with. No one ever has any answers and their solution to your problem is always an automated template response. After being well aware of their horrible business practices, I still made the mistake of using them as a payment provider on my website for convenience. I ended up having to basically give my customer the item they purchase for free because PayPal refuses to send my money. I've provided proof of fulfillment and more.

They have refused to respond, and send the same automated message instead of connecting me with an actual human to provide answers. As a new business owner, my sales are important. Actually getting the funds I receive for the work that I put in to my website is critical. But this does not matter to this company at all. If you actually need the funds from the sales you get, I definitely would not recommend using this company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

After purchasing an item online and receiving wrong item, vendor was unwilling to replace/refund. I escalated to Paypal thinking "Buyer Protection" would assist in getting my money back. The vendor provided a fake address in Europe that was cost-prohibitive for me to return a 10 kg item. Paypal kept assuring me I would receive my refund and reimbursement up to $45 postage cost - the shipping cost was going to be over $145... Bottom line, didn't get my refund, Paypal absolutely unhelpful. Will NEVER use Paypal again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Don't think PayPal can't scam you because they can! I had a vendor issue me a credit and PayPal refuses to release it. Customer service is a joke. I've been dealing with them for days. I've spent a few hours each time moving from one customer service agent to another. Use venmo or cash app. It's instant and easy!!! Stay away from Paypal

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I have used Paypal for over 20 years. I have dealt with multiple sales and purchases through them. For some reason, they decided to not let me send a measly $95.00 from my balance to my bank account. I tried my backup bank account... nope. They say it's too suspicious. I asked for help, and they literally responded by saying "It's too large of an amount. We don't think it's you. I am glad I have answered your question." Nope. You didn't! I had to request a check!!! Once I get it, I am deleting my account.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

AWFUL customer service. I talked with three separate agents who all assured me my dispute would be resolved in my favor. Each time I had to call back and explain the situation. In total I had to make five calls being on hold for the first half hour of each of them. This is all after they checked me out at Ticketmaster BEFORE SHOWING ME A FINAL PRICE THEY JUST ADDED ON 33 DOLLARS IN FEES WITHOUT SHOWING ME.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I WAS CHARGED $192.00 By two different sellers. I did not receive anything. Should have been only 192.00 total. I tried to get help from Paypal but they did not help me. So I lost 384.00. Total. No product.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Be very careful as PayPal doesn’t protect buyers the same way a credit card company does. I got scammed by a Chinese seller. They sent me a fake product (not what I ordered) and wouldn’t take it back like advertised. I opened a case and provided proof that they lied on the site, provided a fake purse (illegal), won’t honor return policy and don't deny or argue any of that. PayPal protected the fraudulent seller!!! Their “resolution” was for me to return the purse to China, pay $60-$80 in shipping and wait 30 days for my refund. They don’t have a way to make the seller pay return shipping.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I have been using PayPal for years both professionally with the multiple business I own as well as for personal use. They have NEVER refunded me money with disputes. I used them because I thought they were supposed to be an extra layer of protection. I have had two disputes that clearly were something they should have reversed the charges on. Had pictures and video proof. They only protect the companies that are collecting money not you making purchasing and spending the money. I will never use them again since my credit card company always has my back. So each time I had to waste my time with PayPal not doing the right thing, and my credit card company taking care of the issue correctly. Why add hours and weeks of extra work to have PayPal not have my back when it would have been easier to just have the credit card company take care of it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Have to transfer a sum of money to my bank account, with it I have

1) Obligations; my client expects payment.
2) Urgently, need to make car repairs.

3) Depending on me, helping family.

Result? Day 1: Tried to make one single transfer, failed on their system and held. Called customer service, was told to wait 48 hours. My client says okay I can wait. Day 2: 48 hours later I waited, at the correct time I try transferring again. What do I see? "Cannot process at this time" I called customer service, they apologize, refresh their system, said it should be fine an another 24 hours. I let my client know who is an extremely patient and kind fella. We agree to wait. My money is stuck on their website. Day3: 24 hours pass as suggested. This morning. The transfer is held back again.

My time has been wasted, my money is in the hoopla and I have to call customer service again. I call and they ask me to wait another 24 hours for that transfer. Been keeping up? That's 4 days of my clients obligations, my car repair and my own money and family waiting for me. Because why? Paypal's system is flawed and not worth using. If you conduct business with clients you might as well use western union, your own bank institution or ANYWHERE else. Please don't use Paypal. There is better options out there, save your time and money and find the better companies out there. Thanks for reading whoever you are.

Note: I was not compensated or reimbursed for any of this mal-service. I would phrase it counter productive, inconvenient and lackluster. Something fundamental in their system needs to be changed. This is not pro-business if myself and clients have to needlessly wait with a system that the managers themselves can't even override. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I have used both Paypal and Venmo for a few years. I generally use whichever the other party prefers. Not anymore. Paypal just screwed me over. I have a contractor doing work on my house. He agreed to do some extra work that I had not paid for yet, as a favor to me. It only amounted to $1400, but had to be done so that the next phase of work could start. So, I try to send him the money. Paypal decided that it needs a 48 hour hold. They didn't tell me in advance that they were going to do this. It should have been in the transaction summary that shows of for final approval, but nope. Total surprise. The contractor gets a message saying that I have to click on a button confirming that the service was provided. But that button won't even show up on my account for 48 hours.

The Paypal Customer Service team tell me that this is somehow to protect me! But I am paying in arrears! I already got the services. I OWE the money. But Paypal will do nothing other than repeat their excuses that everything is fine and all is as it should be. Moreover, they will not let me cancel the transaction (so I can do it on Venmo) because they tell me that "the transaction has been completed". Obviously corporate lies, and they know it. If I want to unwind the transaction, they say they will hold the money for 21 days! I am deleting my Paypal account after this is over. Be warned!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I sell branded electronics since May 2020, mostly Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Sony, Canon, Huawei. I have a 100% review score and I was always looking to please my clients. I'd like to share a horror story with you related to a transaction I had during May 2021. A guy from India named Arun ** (username **) approached me and asked if I'd be willing to ship to India. He was a new buyer (account opened on ebay on May 06) with two positive feedbacks (from purchases he has made from some Chinese sellers). I gave him the benefit of the doubt as we all started somewhere right? Wrong. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made selling on eBay. So... I agreed to ship to India and the buyer has made the purchase ($1499 USD). I've made the arrangements with my supplier in HK and the item, a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max was shipped to him, tracked.

After about 2 weeks (took a long time to clear customs) the item was finally cleared from customs. Once the parcel was delivered the buyer has opened a case on #Paypal claiming the box didn't contain the phone but some rubbish. At this point my supplier and I approached #DHL who were kind enough to provide CCTV camera footage of the parcel in their facility showing the weight of the package. This could be compared to a picture of the parcel on the weight at the supplier's warehouse. These were provided to Paypal together with a picture of the item next to the AWB paperwork. On 26th of June the case was closed by Paypal in my favour.

End of story? Not quite. In my stupidity I have left the funds in Paypal. On 9th of July paypal sends me an email saying "We've completed our review of this case and decided in the buyer’s favor. The refund amount of 1.499,00 USD has been withdrawn from your PayPal account..." WHAT??? So basically two weeks after they graciously let me keep my money, they take it away and give it to the scammer. I appealed the case once more and sent them copies of emails from DHL in which DHL declares that the parcel was opened in front of them, then closed back without anything missing. They went even further and have sent an agent to Arun ** address who declared that nothing is missing and everything is in order!!! This wasn't accepted by Paypal. Appeal rejected.

After multiple calls to their support center in Ireland I was suggested to send a signed and stamped letter from DHL, stating the above. I have done that too. At the same time, I managed to open a complaint with the police in Patna, India, and provided Paypal with the complaint registration number. They took another week or so to look into this and rejected again. My money and the brand new iPhone remains with the seller (which in the meantime has activated the phone and is using it of course). I tried to complain with the European Consumer Center but they said it's out of their hands. I tried to open a claim with #FairShake who seem to have a good track record of helping paypal users with this kind of issues. No go as FairShake doesn't work with Non US residents.

At this point I ask myself - Is anyone at Paypal even looks at documents that are sent in? Do they even care? Is there some kind of dumb AI closing and opening cases as it pleases? Or is someone in Paypal's fraud department working hand in hand with scammers to scam sellers and get both products and money they are not entitled to? Maybe Dan Schulman, Paypal's CEO (**) needs to look into these practices and maybe investors looking to buy Paypal shares need to think again if they want to buy shares of a company that has a track history of stealing from its users.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I’ve been doing business w/ PayPal for over 5 years. I have 3 different accounts for 3 different types of business. My best suggestion - don’t use PayPal. I Made a huge sale and will deliver in person. However, PayPal decided to hold entire amount for 21 days. I can’t complete order as travel is part of the payment. Caused a huge mess/confusion for me and customer. Holding entire funds randomly is not conducive to small business. Just bouncing back after COVID and now this. Just a side note, said it was because amount is more than usual. Not true, I’ve done business with same person for almost same amount before COVID. Customer Service is a joke. They continued to read statements to me instead of listening.

You would think that as huge as they are PayPal would offer partial payment releases so as not to cause hardship to business owner. No. Needless to say, the custom items can’t be completed without payment. Payment can’t be released for 21 days when product is due in hand in 10 days. PayPal doesn’t give details of what their “computer generated random review” is looking for. The explanation is generic and if you are a seasoned account holder you think they you don’t fall into their category. They stated it was standard when you have new account. Again, over 5 years here and even in early stages - no hold. And make no mistake - they double down on their messages: PayPal’s solution is 3 options - 1. Wait the 21 days and shut up; 2. Refund it and shut up or 3. Refund it, have them pay another way and shut up. I received message loud and clear - We don’t care about you or your business. SHUT UP.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

After 21 years of having a PayPal account I’m done. For the third time I’ve had to verify my identity. In the meantime they freeze my account until that’s done. This time it’s been frozen for over two months and they still haven’t completed their end. I’ve made 8 phone calls and every time I get told the same answer. “They have all my documents and it should be completed in 72 hours.” Over the years they have collected multiple documents confirming my identity. Driver's license, passport, utility bills, bank information, tax information. More than any other agency. Now they plan on charging 20.00 for the account. I use the account minimally. It’s not like I have hundreds of dollars going through it. It was convenient when making some purchases. Vendors who only use paypal now won’t have my business. I was going to use it to sell a bit of art but I will use another service. I don’t trust paypal. I’m still not verified.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Purchased an item online through Spreetail. Avoid them like the plague. Returned an item and the vendor sent a shipping label. They received the item and sent mail an email telling my refund was on its way. It never showed up. Had to dispute the amount through PayPal. Have documentation showing the vendor approved the refund. Somehow I lost the PayPal dispute, so no refund. They stole hundreds from me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Beware that if there are any concerns about your account, whether you believe they are true or legitimate or not, PayPal will keep your funds for 6 months! I knew the sender and the product was already sent. I was stuck with paying the sender $1,470 out of my own pocket, to cover his expenses. Now I have to wait 6 months to get my money back from PayPal.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I bought a product on Alibaba and specifically paid more to use Paypal, in case that something happens with it, because they offer a "buyer protection", and a full refund. Unfortunately the product arrived completely wasted, the seller didn't want to take any responsibility and I didn't have any choice than to file a claim with Paypal. The purchase that I made, had to to it in 3 payments for the limit of my debit card, so had to open 3 cases. Sent all the proof and a few days later, 1 case was closed in my favor, but the other 2, was denied.

When I talk to a representative, they told me that won't be covered because I intended to resell it (??¿¿). I explained the situation, their website has a list of what it's not covered, and doesn't mention that. And that's it. I paid for their services, they advertise that I'll be protected with my purchase and I'm not. They say that it's their own discretion to decide to cover it or not. At the end, they're an accomplice of the seller. Don't use this platform if you think that will be covered if something happens with your purchase. Because depending how they wake up that day, they will do it or not.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Horrible company. They continuously hold my money. I am now in a situation where not only I but the customer is calling trying to figure out why they won't release funds. And we get a ** answer about how it's for security and all companies and banks do it. NO THEY DON'T, NO ONE DOES THIS BUT YOU. I've had thousands held, and it is now preventing me, a small business, from growing because a multimillion dollar company keeps money from their own patrons. Praying a class action lawsuit comes up so I can join in. Y'all owe me thousands in funds retained, and work lost directly because of it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

PayPal restricted my account for $18.95 which was address by sending a check for that amount on 7/6/21, on 7/23/21 it cleared my bank, today is 8/10/21 and check has yet be shown as paid, therefore, restriction still stands and I'm not able to access my Paypal Mastercard account for which some reason is linked to my paypal account. I even open a case # ** and I've been calling them, I've been escalating my calls to remove restriction and no luck.

I called Paypal Mastercard unit to at least get a letter sent to me showing that account has been paid in full and they don't have a way to email other than be faxed, mailed or sent to me electronically via my dashboard that I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO thanks to paypal account. So, I can't close on my loan until I show that it's been paid in full and paypal gives a rat ** about customers, it's disgusting company that I have no plans dealing with in the future! PayPal, you stink as a whole, you're disgusting as a company and your employees are a bunch of incompetent foreigners who can hardly speak English! You disgust me PayPal, FC.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

If you order something and PayPal is the only method of payment, I will tell you to find another vendor for whatever it is you wish to buy. After waiting a full month for an item bought using PayPal, I called their "customer service (????)" And got the typical automated machine answering system. It basically tells you to deal with the vendor on your own, but you can start a "claim"....Go ahead and try it, and see how fast you get the run around and finally the refusal! This company is a total scam, built around making money the con-man way. To think it's legal is unthinkable. But hey, we had a president that was a legal pro con-man....and people follow like sheep. THIS is what PayPal makes billions each year off of. Scamming and fleecing....DO NOT USE PAYPAL. You've been forewarned!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

We order from a Chinese seller bacause we had the Paypal guarantee if anything goes wrong. We never received the item and Fedex says it was delivered to another address than my own. Yet they told me there is nothing they can do. Paypal did not want to honor or even ask Fedex for the package. This is the second time I get scam from this type of purchases with Paypal. Don't buy anything with Paypal or Paypal Credit. It is a total scam the guarantee.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

Paypal is a rip off service. I have used PayPal the last 5 weeks to cash my paycheck, they charge you for the money in minutes but don’t give you your money in minutes. They haven’t one time given me my money in minutes. It’s more like days. If you're in a bind DON'T USE PAYPAL, they will leave you stranded and give you the runaround. IF TOU VALUE TOUR HARD EARNED MONEY STAY CLEAR OF THESE RIP OFF ARTIST. THEY WILL NOT REFUND ANYTHING. A lawsuit has been filed against PayPal for fraud and theft. Stay clear.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

In the past year, I have filed 3 disputes with PayPal, all denied! The first 2 were for overseas purchases. PayPal tells you to return the items, which more than likely cost more than what you pay for the items not as described. Overseas sellers know this so they take the chance to ship whatever in whatever condition knowing you won't ship it back! PayPal allows this to continue. How do you stop this practice from continuing? You can't because you have NO PROTECTION from being shipped something other than what you ordered! BUT THIS LAST DECLINE.... it was against Walmart!

PayPal continues to decline the claim stating I haven't proved I returned the items. I have given PayPal the tracking number 3 times. I have proof the date and time the package was returned. WALMART has never disputed receiving the return. Walmart told me they have tried to refund my purchase but PayPal keeps returning to them as failed. PayPal is loaded with incompetent customer service reps. I asked for a supervisor, I was told they won't talk to customers. I WILL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I paid my PayPal account in full for 2627.00 on Aug 3 and the amount was debited from my bank. They only gave me credit for 800 dollars when I called they said they were holding my payment that was electronically transferred for 15 Days!! I have never heard of a check being held that long much less an EFT. On top of that I overpaid them 1000 dollars and they are now holding that EFT for 13 days what a ripoff. When I called about the overpayment they said they would send me a check for the overage after the EFT "cleared".

This is a Bank to Bank transfer done electronically they are keeping this money to charge additional interest and fees. This is nothing but a clear RIPOFF. Their supervisors are surly and short this is sup[posed to be a financial services company they should be fined and have their license changed to Loan Shark. I found it funny that they can transfer payments electronically but they have to send me a check for an OVERPAYMENT - this is the height of FRAUD - as soon as I get my money back I closing my PayPal account - these guys are the worst bank I have ever dealt with in my 50 years of banking. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I ordered from a consumer and PayPal took 79.34 twice out of my account. I called consumer and they did not have any payment. I called PayPal they said they would return the money. They tried and said it wasn't going through. I gave them my Zelle information to transfer money. I check my account, there was a $195.00 withdrawal from my account. HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN??? I was on the phone for 4, yes 4 hours with them. Supposedly talking the supervisor. I finally called my bank and reported fraud. DO NOT USE PAYPAL, THEY ARE FRAUDS!!! Phone number: ** And **

PayPal Company Information