Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Dr ** led me thru what might be the issue with my cat and directed me to get him to a vet asap. He did have the worse case issue she diagnosed. Hope to keep him around for a year or so and comfortable.

Resolution In Progress

Hello Janice,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. I apologize for the confusion I posting your question.

The telephone number is not required but it is an option that we offer to customers so that we can notify them by text as quickly as possible that an Expert has responded.

in reviewing the account I can see that your account has been closed and the charges have been refunded.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to reach back out to us.

Regards,

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor.

Original review: March 21, 2017

While researching info on a problem with my stove I found this online service. I did join as a member, I did put in my credit card info, wrote my question, but was unable to submit it because they REQUIRED a cell phone number. I do not have one, I had "supposedly" been chatting online with a CSR, and when I couldn't submit the question because of the cell phone issue, I kept going back to the chat feature explaining I did not have a cell phone number to give them and couldn't submit the question. However, they did charge my Visa with two charges of $5.00 + $23.00 for the answer to the question I was unable to submit.

When I checked with them yesterday, they couldn't even find my email, they finally said, they had just created one for me and there was an answer waiting, so I would be charged. I never received any indication that my question had been submitted. Most unhappy with their website and their lack of customer service. I do not recommend anyone using them. I do not have an order number, and my bank statement is the only place this shows up.

Resolution In Progress

Hello Michael,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for the confusion. Due to the way that PayPal processes payments they are unable to break the payment up into a deposit and a remainder in the same manner that it is processed with a card.

In looking into this matter we have been unable to locate an account with charges tied to the email address that you provided to Consumer Affairs, we also have been unable to locate a charge in our paypal account associated with any of your provided contact information.

We will reach out to you privately in order to gather the necessary information to locate the account and process the refund for you.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance by replying here or by contacting Customer Support at support@justanswer.com

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor

Original review: March 18, 2017

Went on this site this afternoon as I’m have issues with my car. Submitted the question. Then was asked to pay a deposit of 5 dollars then a balance of 46 dollars on satisfactory answer. Total of 51 dollars. I went for the PayPal option as I don’t wish to put my CC details online. Only to have the full balance of 51 dollars come up on the PayPal charge. I haven't yet received anything but immediately PayPal charge is reverted onscreen to the full amount. I didn't proceed as this is not what is the deal was when initially asking the question.

These sites are great if implemented correctly. I could probably have put my credit card details in and got the initial deposit of 5 dollars put through. Then who knows what would be charged to your CC after they have your details. Regardless of whether the answer to your question is good information or not. These sites do themselves no favors in a world of rip-offs, scams and sad stories of internet phishing. Mainly all semi-intelligent people in today's world have either been burned once or twice and are super cautious like myself or they are listening each night to similar stories of someone else's misfortune on the 6 o'clock news of just this type of scamming. No thank you not for me. If you believe in what you’re peddling then do it right and don't try and rip someone off even before they have any interaction with your so-called experts.

Hello Jane,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for any frustration that you experienced.

It looks like you accepted a free trial offer to try our membership program. At the end of the trial, the membership bills automatically to avoid disruptions in service. I have opted you out of the membership.

As a courtesy, I have processed a refund of your most recent charge and moving forward you will not see any recurring membership charges as your account is now on a pay-per-question status.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have just cancelled my membership subscription. I paid for a one off question but they automatically signed me up to a monthly subscription. I thought I read the small print carefully but didn't see that coming. They say they are accredited with Consumer Affairs otherwise I would not have used them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hello Don,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

We're very sorry there was a problem with the question page(s) you paid to unlock. We cannot guarantee the availability of answers posted for other customers. Your payment has been refunded, as requested. The funds are made available to your bank the next business day however the bank may take 3-5 business days to release the funds back to your account depending on their policy.

If you want to post your own question and set your own offer amount, you can do so at www.justanswer.com. You'll need to pay a fully refundable deposit equal to your offer amount in order to view your answer, but you'll also be able to follow up with the Expert as much as you need to in order to get an answer tailored to you and your situation. Deposits are refundable up to 30 days after the date of payment.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 6, 2017

I joined the site because I found a solution to a similar programming problem I'm working on that had already been answered by one of the JA experts. I paid $3 through PayPal to see the results of that post. I received nothing and there is no way to contact the actual expert, ATL Prog. I've contacted technical support and they instruct me to post another question, which is directed to F. ** (who is listed as an accountant) and which will cost an additional $60. I received nothing for my money the first time and have no guarantee that it will work a second time. The technical support ignores my queries and simply tells me to post and pay a second time.

Hello Laura,

Thank you for getting back to us about this. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced in posting your legal question to the site.

In looking at your account it does appear that the charge has been refunded and that question has been closed at this time.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 3, 2017

The expert response was incorrect, that individuals in the state of FL cannot proceed with Formal Administration, a form of probate without representation by an attorney, as it is considered practicing law. I checked with the Clerk of Courts and was given the exact opposite information, one may file Formal Administration forms with the Clerk of Courts and they will be given to the judge. The issue is finding the forms and completing them correctly as well as following the necessary steps in Formal Administration, it is an involved process but the Clerk of Courts said the information is available at the law library and she has had one person who is not an attorney proceed. (I spoke with the Clerk of Courts in Martin County Florida.)

The expert insisted that the information given was correct, JustAnswers refunded their fee without hesitation which was commendable however I am unhappy at the expert's insistence that the information was accurate when clearly it is not. It is wise to double check the information and use it only as a guideline or starting point.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JustAnswer.com?

Hello Greg,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the good faith deposit. An initial $5 deposit is required at the time the question is posted and the balance of the question price is collected once an Expert responds to the question.

This information regarding the deposit is displayed on the page where the customer is prompted to submit their payment details and questions are posted only when the customer acknowledges and accepts the payment terms.

An Expert responded to your question which is why you received the email about the answer. We attempted to process a charge for the balance due, however, the payment failed for reasons we will disclose to you in private.

When posting a payment to the site, the Expert isn't paid unless you’re satisfied with the help received and rate the service accordingly.

An overview of this process can be found on the How It Works page here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-justanswer-works

At this time, the $5.00 charge has been refunded back to your card.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I wanted some basic legal advice on a traffic infringement. They sent me back an email advising they had an answer. I went to access this answer. I was asked to review my credit card information. This seemed odd. I went back to my emails and saw I would be charged $76 on top of the $5. This is misleading. I checked my card info. It was correct. In fact, they took $5 out of it, despite saying I had to update my details. So I just wanted to cancel the account. I tried to use their chat, but it was unavailable last night and today. So the chat is unavailable but you can access their "experts." There is a button to cancel membership. Apparently if it does not appear then you don't have a membership. There is no button to cancel your account. You have to send them a message. They advise they usually reply in a few hours. They don't. I just want to make sure my account is closed from these pirates.

Hello Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this.

I'm sorry to hear that the technician wasn't able to help you with your dishwasher but I'm glad to hear that you were eventually able to have the issue resolved.

I have looked into your account and closed the question and processed a refund for the charges that you incurred.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance and we're happy to help.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Provided the info that I had already replaced three parts on my dishwasher and needed a much more prescriptive effort/failure detection process. Specifically provided expectation that if they could provide that then I would be happy to pay the $23 charge. Instead, I got a "I was going to tell you to replace the pump" solution, which I had already told them I did in the initial $5 charge. Then my CC was hit for 2- $5 charges and the $23 charge. TOTAL RIP OFF! Just call SEARS instead, their techs actually diagnosed and fixed it fast on first try.

I found JustAnswer to be great with my electronic piano problem. The expert, Rusty, knew his stuff and gave me a number to phone for parts. He knew how to install the part and walked me thru the steps to fix the problem. It all took a few minutes. I am very satisfied.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Resolution response: Feb. 28, 2017

"Due to the text nature of the communication, it is advisable, as you discovered, to provide as much detail as possible. We do provide the ability to have a phone call with the Expert " from JustAnswer
The above was the answer to my problem, yes I did get an answer to my legal question, but as I have indicated to them the fact that 1) provide question 2) connect with a lawyer or doctor or whatever 3) Talk one on one online (which leads you to believe that you will be chatting vs just an answer ) so was I pleased? well, I would say it was a hassle and the fault lies with the both of us. My advice, they are helpful only if you expect a Black or White, a Yes or No, or this is what you need to fix the problem, and don't expect an answer on a timely basis.
Now the nature of my question and the answer received, honestly truly made it a point to spend the extra $61 and get a conversation and answer.
I received three answers but the last one was "you would need to sue to take any action as a legal matter. Practically, some people would do that but not technically allowed." can anyone decipher that one?

All in all, thank you JustAnswer customer service, at least you were responsive and attentive to my problem.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any confusion that you experienced. In looking into your account it doesn't appear that you are now or have ever been on the membership.

You have been charged for posting the one question to the service and it appears that you received a response form the attorney and rated him positively.

We will each out to you privately to discuss the details of your account and work to clear up any confusion.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Contacted a few hours ago and added Amex card for $5 refundable deposit. I am a first time user, and all I wanted was an answer to a legal question. I provided my information, then email + created password probably for the answer, then a charge of $31. After processing the site led me to charges on a monthly basis, or our gold membership, or platinum yada yada. Hey all I wanted was one answer, not a membership to the club, with no way to opt out. Luckily, AMEX provided a fraud alert via text and would not pay until my consent. Since I have no clue as to why I cannot get one answer without joining the club, I opted out completely. Now I will advise if I ever see the $5 chargeback.

Hello Hillary,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. In looking into your account we have located the conversation that you had with the Vet.

It appears that you were able to reach out to our Customer Support team on 2/7/2017 and that the charge has been refunded to your paypal account.

We do hope that Toby is feeling much better. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I asked a question regarding my puppy Toby. Emailed this question to a vet on JustAnswer and paid $20. I got no response at all. I called JustAnswer and they wanted a screenshot of my PayPal payment before they would refund my payment. No answer and no service--terrible experience. NEVER AGAIN!!

The help I received was fantastic, accurate and prompt. The expert really knew what he was doing and helped me rewire a complex elevator control system. It would have cost me hundreds more and been weeks before a tech could have come out to assist me from the elevator company.

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this and for sharing your experience.

We're happy to hear that the Vet was able to help you through this and hope that you will keep us in mind if any other issues arise at odd hours.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

My dog ate dark chocolate. JustAnswer.com was so helpful and reassuring to have access to a professional when experiencing an emergency during off hours! I was very nervous about what would happen to our beloved pet. Thank you for this much needed service. Every time I've used JustAnswer.com it's been great!

Hello Kathy,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

We're glad to hear that the Vet was able to steer you in the right direction and we hope that Lynx is on the road to recovery now.

Please reach back out anytime you need help, we're here 24/7.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I received a phone call from a vet who was patient and thorough with me with my describing a situation a friend of mine's cat was having. She took the cat to the vet the next day, after following the online vet's suggestions and found an infection she didn't know the cat had that was causing the scratching that the cream would not have helped.

Excellent, knowledgeable homeopathic doctor quickly found the right remedy for a health issue. He also had backups, links to purchase and was patient with my many questions. Have recommended this needed service to a friend who may want to go this way with rescue animals.

I couldn't get my Kindle to charge. JustAnswer helped me with a couple of easy steps to get it started again. Easy to follow online helpful hints and solution. I only had to reboot my Kindle and then re-charge it to get it going.

My Cadillac Escalade was always spontaneously shutting down. Car dealer mechanics could not figure it out – just said replace everything – only several thousand dollars and maybe the car will be ok. Found just answer online and took a shot. Received immediate response from a real mechanic who told me I needed certain codes. He then evaluated the codes and told me what he believed to be the problem and why. He explained what had to be done and well as a whole lot of info about my car – could not get anything from any dealer nor was the info in the manual. I had immediate response throughout my contact and could not be more pleased. Great website, real people, very reasonable. Would use this site again and again.

Dog ingestion - The vet responded within less than 19 minutes. He not only gave clear advice but also sent link to research article. Very helpful with reason for advice. Available for follow up discussions if necessary and a time frame that he would remain online. Highly recommended.

The technician quickly and professionally helped me troubleshoot and repair the blower motor capacitor on my furnace. The part needed to repair it was $9. I replaced it in minutes and had heat again. The HVAC company wanted $300. He saved me a lot of money. Greatly appreciated.

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your recent experience on the site, we apologize for any confusion.

When using the website there are multiple means of connecting to and conversing with Experts. You can post a questions online and continue the conversation back and forth on line, or for an additional fee you can connect with the Expert over the phone and they can guide you through the problem that way.

In looking into your account it does appear that you were able to get in touch with Customer Care and we have issued a refund for the charges that you incurred.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance or have any other questions about the website in the future.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I went online January 13 with a question. I tried to make a deposit of $5 and was told the card would not go through. I then used another card next. I NEVER RECEIVED AN ONLINE ANSWER. I instead upgraded to a phone call. While the doctor was kind and helpful, my first card was charged as well as the second card. Additionally, I was charged for an online answer I never received in addition to the upgrade preference of the phone call. This company should make their policies clear.

When I phoned about the problem, I was told I had to pay for the online answer, the deposit and the upgrade. Why would someone pay a 'deposit' which was not included in the payment when it went through? A deposit is a 'deposit' not an additional charge. And why would I pay for an online answer which was never given nor received because I upgraded service to a phone call. So THREE CHARGES for one answer. Will NOT be using this service again. I don't mind paying for something I have decided to pay but don't like being bamboozled into paying three times for one service which was never made clear in the beginning.

Barun held on to the end! I needed help with Windows 10 display issues. Barun quickly responded and worked through an initial solution knowing I had to rush off to work. When we signed off I realized the solution wasn't quite complete, and in a moment he was back on with me, working through everything to the end. My issue was completely resolved, and I felt connected to through the process in a way I wasn't expecting given the nature of online connecting.

Hello Crystal,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We're sorry to hear that you didn't find the service to be valuable.

In looking it does not appear that we have an account tied to the email address that you provided Consumer Affairs.

We will reach out to you privately in order to gather some information to locate the account.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

It's not the $5 they claim. They charge you an additional $17 once you get a reply. I was okay with the initial $5 but not the extra $17. It's a scam. Of course I'm sure it's all in the small print so they won't give me the $17 back as requested. I would not recommend this service. You can find the same information on google.

Somehow I was enrolled your service at a cost of $38/mo. [Your mistake or mine, don't know]. I called and within one day the matter was resolved and my $ returned!!! That was fantastic, particularly in comparison to other companies' sorely retarded idea of "communication". Perhaps another additional business model for your firm could be doing consulting in this particular area; here's a place to start: "Sprint phone company". I signed on with them in November and cancelled with them in total exasperation early January; even their own point of sales people expressed total frustration with them. I just received yet another bill from them in the postage mail... I'll go no further now... Anyway thanks for your great service. It is nice to know there are companies like yours out there.

This is a good service and I would and have used it again. The "expert" was just that. I'm elderly and having a difficult time with computers. My "expert" was aware of this and was patient. The fix was complete and my satisfaction undeniable.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced in navigating the site.

You can contact customer support any time from the Contact Us link on any page and that should take you to the main Help Page

From there you can choose to contact us via chat, email or phone, and the phone numbers are here:

We will reach out to you about the difficulty that you experienced in responding to the attorney and help to reconnect you.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I signed up, asked a legal question, got a reply needing for information but when I tried to reply through the message box it wouldn't unlock for me to respond. There is no number to call for help except email. I sent a request for help. Received no response. Each time I log back in I get to the same spot and cannot reply. I don't know what the glitch is and can not get any help.

Hello Rubin,

Thank you for getting in touch about your experience on the site recently, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive the response that you were looking for.

We do not seem to be able to locate an account for you using any of the information that you have provided so far. We will reach out to you privately in order to locate the account and get your refund processed.

You can also reach out to us anytime at support@justanswer.com and representatives will respond 24 hours a day, usually within 4 hours.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Information on Remote Codes - Paid the $5 for an answer but was referred elsewhere and could not get a clear answer. Then tried the experts approach, charged additional $27 and still was not satisfied. Thankfully Bell solved my problem. Believe you should refund me as you did not help.

Hello Sherry,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We're sorry to hear about the frustration that you have encountered.

We are unable to locate any account tied to the email that you've provided to ConsumerAffairs so we will reach out to you privately in order to locate your account.

With regard to site security. Our security certificate is updated daily and there has been no record from any other customer regarding this type of issue but we will gladly follow up with you in order to look into it.

If you do need to reach our Customer Care team we can be reached 24/7 at support@justanswer.com

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Looking for some advice via internet. JustAnswer popped up. I read their info & mistakenly thought I was entering the question for review by a certified mechanic. When I entered my card information I noticed that the info was being "reviewed" by a technician to then pass to the mechanic. Before I could shake my head at the deception I had already entered my payment information. I immediately requested a refund. I was unable to see that the refund happened as my payment had been charged for 2 fees & then had 2 additional transactions for $0 dollars posted to my account.

This week I suddenly have my payment card hacked with 3 different charges totaling more than $900.00. If not for my card carrier notifying me of the hack I would not have been aware & whoever was hacking my account would have kept stealing from me. The only payment interaction was with JustAnswer.com. Seems like the route of hacking is pretty clear. Don't trust this site.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any confusion. In looking at your account it does not appear that any change has been made to your membership plan and it does not appear that you had contacted us regarding the membership.

We're sorry to hear that you want to turn off your membership feature. We have processed your request and moving forward, you will not see any recurring membership charges. Your account is now on a pay-per-question basis and you will only be charged when you post a question.

The recent charge made to your card has been canceled. The funds are made available to your bank the next business day, however, the bank may take 3-5 business days to release the funds back to your account depending on their policy.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I made the mistake of trying JustAnswer and the "free" trial period cost me about 60 dollars so far. You have to pay $5 to sign up and they tell you they have a 30 day refund guarantee. But the "free" period ends after only 7 days and then you are charged the subscription price. I signed up for the cheapest rate and that is what I was charged the first month. Then the second month I was charged for the next highest rate. I never asked to change my membership and I would have canceled earlier if they had made it clear the free period was only 7 days. From the high number of complaints on this website alone I should never have clicked on the JustAnswer site and I will NEVER do it again. My advice is to stay away from them!!!

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this.

We apologize for any frustration. The cost of the question is actually presented in several places. On the same page where you enter your billing information, on the Order History page when you are logged into your account, and you are also sent a email receipt with the full deposit amount upon posting the question.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss the account details and see if you still need any other assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Decided to try just answer for an automotive question and was prompted to put credit card # for 5.00 charge on my account, then during process website asked me to sign up for additional money which I did not click any of their offers as I did not want additional charges on my card and haven't used site before. The next morning I see an additional 23.00 charged, when I called customer service the woman told me that all this is explained in their website. I explained to her that this seemed misleading to me and she promptly told me that it was not that I just have not read their policies on their website. I am still not understanding why there is a 5.00 fee and then the next day a 23.00 fee. This just seems very deceptive to me. Why would it not be a 28.00 fee upfront? Be honest at what your product costs, do not bury it in your web pages for consumer to have to research before use.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this experience. We're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the response from the attorney.

Per our satisfaction guarantee you have been a refund has been processed back to your Paypal account and you should also have received a notification of the refund from Paypal.

If you ever need assistance in the future with a legal, or any other matter you can send a message to support@justanswer.com and Customer Care can always locate another Expert who can work with you until the problem is resolved.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I used JustAnswer before and been happy. Not today! This time was a whole nother story. Bill an "Immigration attorney" Who could not be bothered to say hello... Which is a minor thing when you think about how important lawyers info is. He gave conflicting, contradictory advice, when I posed one simple question, which could have been answered with a simple answer. 3 quotes of him contradicting himself, and asking for clarification, led me to believe the guy is drunk.

I started to wonder... and saw that he only had 2 ratings. A 1 star and a 2 star... I have now been waiting 3 hours for clarification, again. Oh and to top it off, as I had good experience before, I paid the full amount by Paypal... for legal advice I do not care about $38, but I had no option to pay he $5 good faith payment. If you folks care about your reputation, get rid of this guy! Make good and I might come back, some of your folks are great.

Insufficient response received

Hello Ashley,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your recent experience on the site.

We're sorry that you were not happy with the response that you received from the attorney. The deposit for the question does allow you to continue the conversation for as long as you need to in order to resolve the issue.

We have been unable to locate an account tied to the information that you've provided so far but we will reach out to you to confirm your account and take any steps necessary to resolve the matter for you.

You can also reach out to our Customer Care team 24/7 from the help page or by sending an email to support@justanswer.com

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I was fired and it was due to a manager setting me up.... No investigation, it was retaliatory, and I was encouraged by a lawyer of over 20 years via JustAnswer to file with the EEOC. Well, they only handle cases for actual discrimination and not only that, I needed mounds of evidence and paperwork which she failed, of course, to notify me of. The lawyer I paid $35 to speak with one time, claimed they handled hostile work environment claims too. He was very wrong. I would have been better off traipsing around town paying a consultation fee to an actual local attorney.

JustAnswer.com Company Profile