Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I asked how to deal with a summons for a court appearance related to a medical bill which I disputed. The Law expert gave me great guidance about my rights and next steps. I needed a bit more information about template letters for requesting specific information from the claimants, and he gave me links to great templates directly related to my state which I was able to adapt and take care of my issue.

Hello Ipolani,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this, I'm sorry to hear about the confusion that you experienced.

The $5.00 deposit is the charge for posting the question and the remainder deposit is usually taken after the Expert responds.

In this case it appears that you requested a refund of the PayPal charges within 5 minutes, so when the Vet responded shortly after that and you tried to view the response, the funds had already been refunded and you were asked to post a deposit again.

We do hope that your cat is doing well and that you were able to get the veterinary assistance that you needed.

If you have any other questions about the site or your account please don't hesitate to reach out to our customer care team at support@justanswer.com and we're happy to lend any assistance that we can.

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor

Original review: May 17, 2017

I asked a question about my cat and a text chat came up. I didn't think much of it, and wondered if my question could be answered. They said they would charge me a fee of $5, which I didn't mind paying at the time, and the next thing I know, I have a $22 charge on my PayPal to them. What also seemed suspicious is I get an email that my PayPal acct password got changed. I immediately called PayPal to change my password. I don't think it was a coincidence since it happened all within a few minutes of my being charged the $22! Also, after I made the mistake and clicked OK to the $5 charge but charged $22, another page comes up as if payment wasn't paid. They were trying to charge me double!! VERY UNSATISFIED!!

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry about the frustration that you experienced when posting your question to the site.

I wanted to reassure you that the membership program offer is not obligatory. You can post and pay for questions on a question by question basis for the lifespan of your account.

In looking into the account it does not appear that you had ever been a part of the membership program and it appears that you were able to utilize the Help Page to process your own refund.

If you need any further assistance with any aspect of the site or your account, please feel free to reach back out to us.

Sincerely,

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor

Original review: May 14, 2017

I feel like I was conned out of my money. They had me list the issues before connecting me with a tech. They show a picture of a tech and mention his credentials and show the with the number of satisfied customers he/she has had. At that stage I assumed he would respond to my questions after I submitted my credit card info. No way, it is mandatory that you join one of their monthly services to take the next step. Of course they tell you that you can cancel at any time but how many people forget to cancel when they no longer need the service. And I would probably be one of them. I don't do business that way and won't deal with companies that do.

Hello Ernest,

Thanks for voicing your experience to us.

I'm sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. You'll be happy to know that in looking at your account it appears that we have already issued a refund for the 2 membership payments on 5/13/2017.

It looks like you accepted a free trial of our membership program. At the end of the trial, the membership bills automatically to avoid disruptions in service. I have turned the membership billing off and you will not receive any further recurring charges.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. I hope that I've been able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Please contact our support team at support@justanswer.com if there is anything else we can help you with.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: May 13, 2017

I posted question regarding dermatology and it was on a pay-per-question basis. However after my question was answered I was automatically being enrolled into their monthly plus membership which charged me RM111 per month for 2 months in a row. Unfortunately I only noticed this on the 2nd month. I did not consent or authorize these 2 charges other than the one-time, pay-per-question service! Please advise how I can get back my refund? Thank you.

Hello Marnie,

I'm sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction your experienced with the attorney.

I wanted to remind you of our 100% satisfaction guarantee which allows customers to request a refund within 30 days if they are unhappy with the assistance that they received.

In looking into your account it appears that you were able to process your own refund through the Order History section of the website.

We do hope that you were able to get your questions resolved through other avenues, but if you need any assistance or have any questions about you account please let us know by reaching out to us at support@justanswer.com and we're happy to help.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: May 10, 2017

They charge $36 - whether they are able to answer your question or (more likely) not. I wanted to know why my criminal record showed a High-Occupancy Lane - Single Occupant Vehicle Violation as a MISDEMEANOR instead of a PETTY MISDEMEANOR. "Doug" answered by saying I was correct that is should be a PM but criminal reports do not differentiate between the two. When I responded that it did in fact differentiate (I also have a PETTY MISDEMEANOR for a speeding ticket) - he refused to respond any further and told me my question would go into a pool where other professionals could respond. So I basically paid for an incorrect answer.

HI there Samuel,

I'm sorry about the frustration that it sounds like you experienced. In looking into your account I can see that it appears that you might have been trying to reach TurboTax.

While we do have Experts that can assist you with Tax related question, we are not directly affiliated with TurboTax.

In looking into your account I can see that you're initial deposit has been refunded and that you should already have been credited back to your PayPal account. It also appears that there is no membership active on this account so you will not see any further charges.

I will reach out to you privately to discuss any details of your account.

If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at support@justanswer.com and we're happy to help.

Regards,

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I was asked to pay a one time $5.00 fee to get help with a logon problem. I paid the fee with PayPal. Afterwards, I noticed my account was charged a $36.00 recurring monthly charge. When I complained to JustAnswer, they connected me to one of their lawyers and wanted additional fees to resolve the problem. I refuse to pay and feel I have been scammed. I am trying to resolve it through PayPal now. I would never use this service again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JustAnswer.com?

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: May 16, 2017

I did receive a prompt and courteous reply from the people at JustAnswer.com. They said they were sorry about any misunderstanding with the service or the billing, and that they would credit the charges. A few days later, I checked my credit card account and the charges were credited. So I am happy to say that the issue was resolved. Apparently, they do want to keep a good reputation for conducting business in an honorable manner, thank you.

Hello Dennis,

On behalf of JustAnswer, I'd like to offer you a sincere apology for any confusion you've endured while trying to use our service. Rest assured, we'll be reaching out to you directly in order to resolve any and all of your concerns regarding our service and your charges.

Please keep an eye out for our email. And thank you for your patience with us thus far.

Sincerely,
Mr. Allyn Hansen

Customer Support Specialist

Original review: May 2, 2017

I had a question concerning a mantel clock and submitted my question when asked. Then they said they would find someone to answer and wanted to charge a $5 deposit or 'good faith' fee. I reluctantly gave a credit card no. with the understanding that the fee would be refunded if I didn't use the service. Next, I was told that I would be billed a $30 fee to have my question answered, but had the option of cancelling. I hit the cancel button and exited, but my credit card was charged the $5 fee, with no credit for it, and was also charged a $31 fee from Clock Fix.

I think it is wrong to conduct business in this way as we should have been told of the $31 charge earlier. I am going to call the credit card co. to dispute the bill and refuse to pay it. I tried calling the cust. service no. about the billing but the rep was apparently overseas. When she asked me to spell out my email address, the call disconnected. The date of service was 04/23/17. Thank you.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: April 21, 2017

The problem was resolved very quickly to my satisfaction in a most courteous way.

Hello Harvey,

Thank you for getting in touch with us through Consumer Affairs regarding your recent visit to the site.

We apologize for any frustration regarding the billing issue that you experienced however I am glad that we were finally able to get in touch with each other to resolve the outstanding concern and get your refund processed.

If you need anything else in the future, please feel free to reach back out to me and I'm happy to help.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: April 13, 2017

I tried to phone them but could not get through on both their phone numbers as it would not connect. I live in Israel but used a UK credit card. I am very concerned. On the 3rd April I asked a question and paid 25.51 shekels. I have just received my credit card statement and it shows an additional membership fee of 197 shekels and 2 days later a tech help fee of 154 shekels. I most certainly did not ask any further questions and I did not ask for any additional help nor to become a member. I have therefore been overcharged the sum of 351 shekels which I want refunded immediately. As I get my credit card statement once a month I would not be aware of these overcharges at the time.

Please deal with this problem immediately. I am very cross as I went by the ratings they had received before I used them. Someone in their company has put these additional charges without notifying me by email, fax or phone call. They have a referenced ** on my credit card so it was obviously activated by their California branch.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and we apologize for any confusion that you experienced in using the site.

In looking at your account it does not appear that you have ever opted into the membership. Your account is currently on a Pay-Per-Question status and you will only be charged if you decide to post a new question.

You can continue to access the Engineering question that you posted this past week free of charge and can continue to speak with the Engineer as long as you need to in order to resolve the problem.

If you have any other questions about your account or need any assistance in navigating the site please feel free to reach out to Customer Care at support@justanswer.com or by phone at 1-800-509-5721.

Original review: April 12, 2017

We have all used the internet to find information when making a purchase. But JustAnswer tactics for their site forces you to sign on to a monthly billing cycle in order to get the information you have already paid for. I do not recommend this site to anyone. Very deceiving tactics.

Resolution response: April 21, 2017

Customer service contacted me and resolved the issue. They explained that a bug was interfering with the system and incorrectly labeled the doctor as an endocrinologist

Original review: April 12, 2017

I had recently requested the "expert" advice of a eye doctor and more specifically a retina specialist. I was put in touch with an individual that did a good job answering my questions. However, I became extremely alarmed as I realized that the doctor's name & profile picture was the exact same as an endocrinologist that I had asked advice from 18 months earlier. So, basically the same individual is an endocrinologist and retina specialist... really??? I contacted JustAnswer, they requested a snapshot of profiles... which I did. They have since not responded. So I am left disappointed and upset that I have wasted money on fraudulent experts provided on the site. I can't trust any of the advice I received... avoid at all costs.

Technician described two conditions that could cause "open door" alarm to go off even when door was closed. I located plunger switches he described and the one on the freezer door was the culprit. Plunger switch was not making contact with strike pad on a hinge cap. I just snapped the hinge cap back in proper alignment and solved the problem in about 30 seconds! Thank you.

Hello Charlotte,

Thanks for letting us know about this. It's amazing how much it can help to get a little advice from an Expert who has dealt with the issue before.

We look forward to the opportunity to save you more money in the future. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor

Original review: April 2, 2017

Toyota Corolla 2007 trunk won't latch. Jaybird61 sent me diagram of the three parts of the trunk latch mechanism, which enabled me to make some simple adjustments to the latch at the bottom. The car was in a rear-end collision and sometimes the trunk door does not line up correctly. I also found that a small piece was missing, which I was able to order. From more than $200 my bill became less than $40. Thanks!

My cat Adam was drinking water and had diarrhea. Vet Terri gave me directions, specific directions of what to buy and how to proceed with the ingredients to make a mixture for Adam to stop the diarrhea. He is usually quite picky, but he ate it and appeared to enjoy it. This morning Adam feels better and so do I--no more diarrhea. I'd call again. Thanks.

I am 82 years old and the person that helped me was very understanding and solved my problem(Real shut down when I clicked on Video). It took some time due to some driver updates. He found my problem and it is working fine today. Thanks for your expert help!!!

This guy had it fixed in under 5 min. Was great. Will be using more JustAnswer and stop wasting my time trying to fixed it myself. Thank you so much. Was great service and quick to response. Again I would use this service again.

Tyler from JustAnswer told me how to test or have it (broiler) tested if it was bad. He also told me where I could probably find a place to purchase and/or order a new element. Then he told me how to order a new one and how to install it. If it wasn't the element he told me it would be a module that I could replace also but it was about 600 dollars and I was not interested.

I found Dr ** to be very accurate but most of all, very informative. I was very pleased with what information I received. My only negative is I live in Australia and had to wait a few hours for reply, but that's not Dr ** fault.

Divorce and settlement. Came back with answers promptly and helped me understand the process of lawyer to lawyer and time frame to send it to the judge. At least someone can give me answers, thank you. I have been dealing with 3 different lawyers and 2 of them seem to not get where I needed to go. The other lawyer always seems to postpone or delay and gets away with it, as for me the victim who cares, let me live in a room with hardly any money.

Canon printer was spitting blank pages out the back, not printing my document. Actually he was not able to fix the problem, but that was due to my lack of computer knowledge rather than his skill. He spent almost two hours working on it. The printer is now fixed (by someone else). You charged me $5, $18, and $39. Can any of that be deleted since he wasn't able to fix it?

Was very helpful and responded in less than 24 hrs. My PTO issues also took several days to complete. Jon stayed with us until completed. I still recommend to friends and family. All of the information was transferred via email with no problems. I will use this service again.

Atty ** knew his stuff! Gave me advise and helped me understand what I could and could not do successfully. Took the time to explain the law, and called me to better explain for an additional $5. Explained how constitutional law is only admissible for bonafide governments, not HOAs.

Hello Lori,

Thank you for letting us know about the experience that you had on our landing page. We're sorry to hear about any frustration you experienced.

The chat pop-up is a responsive chat-bot that is intended to guide customers through the process of posting a question and speaking with a doctor on the site however it appears that that was not the service that you needed, so we apologize for that.

The pop-up can be closed or minimized using the close button in the upper right-hand corner.

It does not sound like you created an account but we will reach out to you privately to make sure and address any other questions or concerns that you have about the site.

If you need to reach out to Customer Care you can do so 24 hours a day at support@justanswer.com.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 24, 2017

I went online today to simply look up a definition of a term I had never heard of before (unremarkable cervix). I googled "unremarkable cervix" and someone else had already asked that question so I clicked on the site which was apparently JustAnswer. When I was reading on the page, a chat balloon came up and I told the person I was just looking for a definition and reading about it. They proceeded to ask me about if I had a doctor, normal pap, etc. which I found intrusive so I kept writing... "I've got great doctors. I'm good. Just looked up definition." Which in the comments of their page was pretty much being answered on their site already only I was being distracted from reading it by the chat person who was identified as a gynecological assistant.

Next the person proceeded to tell me to pay $5. I just clicked off the site and thought how laughable. I literally found their prying for info intrusive to what I was reading or trying to read but couldn't finish because of their persistent chat/questions and now when I'm looking on this site, it appears this JustAnswer site is totally scamming people.

Hello Janice,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. I apologize for the confusion I posting your question.

The telephone number is not required but it is an option that we offer to customers so that we can notify them by text as quickly as possible that an Expert has responded.

in reviewing the account I can see that your account has been closed and the charges have been refunded.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to reach back out to us.

Regards,

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor.

Original review: March 21, 2017

While researching info on a problem with my stove I found this online service. I did join as a member, I did put in my credit card info, wrote my question, but was unable to submit it because they REQUIRED a cell phone number. I do not have one, I had "supposedly" been chatting online with a CSR, and when I couldn't submit the question because of the cell phone issue, I kept going back to the chat feature explaining I did not have a cell phone number to give them and couldn't submit the question. However, they did charge my Visa with two charges of $5.00 + $23.00 for the answer to the question I was unable to submit.

When I checked with them yesterday, they couldn't even find my email, they finally said, they had just created one for me and there was an answer waiting, so I would be charged. I never received any indication that my question had been submitted. Most unhappy with their website and their lack of customer service. I do not recommend anyone using them. I do not have an order number, and my bank statement is the only place this shows up.

No response received

Hello Michael,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for the confusion. Due to the way that PayPal processes payments they are unable to break the payment up into a deposit and a remainder in the same manner that it is processed with a card.

In looking into this matter we have been unable to locate an account with charges tied to the email address that you provided to Consumer Affairs, we also have been unable to locate a charge in our paypal account associated with any of your provided contact information.

We will reach out to you privately in order to gather the necessary information to locate the account and process the refund for you.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance by replying here or by contacting Customer Support at support@justanswer.com

Adam - Customer Care Supervisor

Original review: March 18, 2017

Went on this site this afternoon as I’m have issues with my car. Submitted the question. Then was asked to pay a deposit of 5 dollars then a balance of 46 dollars on satisfactory answer. Total of 51 dollars. I went for the PayPal option as I don’t wish to put my CC details online. Only to have the full balance of 51 dollars come up on the PayPal charge. I haven't yet received anything but immediately PayPal charge is reverted onscreen to the full amount. I didn't proceed as this is not what is the deal was when initially asking the question.

These sites are great if implemented correctly. I could probably have put my credit card details in and got the initial deposit of 5 dollars put through. Then who knows what would be charged to your CC after they have your details. Regardless of whether the answer to your question is good information or not. These sites do themselves no favors in a world of rip-offs, scams and sad stories of internet phishing. Mainly all semi-intelligent people in today's world have either been burned once or twice and are super cautious like myself or they are listening each night to similar stories of someone else's misfortune on the 6 o'clock news of just this type of scamming. No thank you not for me. If you believe in what you’re peddling then do it right and don't try and rip someone off even before they have any interaction with your so-called experts.

Hello Jane,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for any frustration that you experienced.

It looks like you accepted a free trial offer to try our membership program. At the end of the trial, the membership bills automatically to avoid disruptions in service. I have opted you out of the membership.

As a courtesy, I have processed a refund of your most recent charge and moving forward you will not see any recurring membership charges as your account is now on a pay-per-question status.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have just cancelled my membership subscription. I paid for a one off question but they automatically signed me up to a monthly subscription. I thought I read the small print carefully but didn't see that coming. They say they are accredited with Consumer Affairs otherwise I would not have used them.

Hello Don,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

We're very sorry there was a problem with the question page(s) you paid to unlock. We cannot guarantee the availability of answers posted for other customers. Your payment has been refunded, as requested. The funds are made available to your bank the next business day however the bank may take 3-5 business days to release the funds back to your account depending on their policy.

If you want to post your own question and set your own offer amount, you can do so at www.justanswer.com. You'll need to pay a fully refundable deposit equal to your offer amount in order to view your answer, but you'll also be able to follow up with the Expert as much as you need to in order to get an answer tailored to you and your situation. Deposits are refundable up to 30 days after the date of payment.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 6, 2017

I joined the site because I found a solution to a similar programming problem I'm working on that had already been answered by one of the JA experts. I paid $3 through PayPal to see the results of that post. I received nothing and there is no way to contact the actual expert, ATL Prog. I've contacted technical support and they instruct me to post another question, which is directed to F. ** (who is listed as an accountant) and which will cost an additional $60. I received nothing for my money the first time and have no guarantee that it will work a second time. The technical support ignores my queries and simply tells me to post and pay a second time.

Hello Laura,

Thank you for getting back to us about this. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced in posting your legal question to the site.

In looking at your account it does appear that the charge has been refunded and that question has been closed at this time.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: March 3, 2017

The expert response was incorrect, that individuals in the state of FL cannot proceed with Formal Administration, a form of probate without representation by an attorney, as it is considered practicing law. I checked with the Clerk of Courts and was given the exact opposite information, one may file Formal Administration forms with the Clerk of Courts and they will be given to the judge. The issue is finding the forms and completing them correctly as well as following the necessary steps in Formal Administration, it is an involved process but the Clerk of Courts said the information is available at the law library and she has had one person who is not an attorney proceed. (I spoke with the Clerk of Courts in Martin County Florida.)

The expert insisted that the information given was correct, JustAnswers refunded their fee without hesitation which was commendable however I am unhappy at the expert's insistence that the information was accurate when clearly it is not. It is wise to double check the information and use it only as a guideline or starting point.

Hello Greg,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the good faith deposit. An initial $5 deposit is required at the time the question is posted and the balance of the question price is collected once an Expert responds to the question.

This information regarding the deposit is displayed on the page where the customer is prompted to submit their payment details and questions are posted only when the customer acknowledges and accepts the payment terms.

An Expert responded to your question which is why you received the email about the answer. We attempted to process a charge for the balance due, however, the payment failed for reasons we will disclose to you in private.

When posting a payment to the site, the Expert isn't paid unless you’re satisfied with the help received and rate the service accordingly.

An overview of this process can be found on the How It Works page here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-justanswer-works

At this time, the $5.00 charge has been refunded back to your card.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I wanted some basic legal advice on a traffic infringement. They sent me back an email advising they had an answer. I went to access this answer. I was asked to review my credit card information. This seemed odd. I went back to my emails and saw I would be charged $76 on top of the $5. This is misleading. I checked my card info. It was correct. In fact, they took $5 out of it, despite saying I had to update my details. So I just wanted to cancel the account. I tried to use their chat, but it was unavailable last night and today. So the chat is unavailable but you can access their "experts." There is a button to cancel membership. Apparently if it does not appear then you don't have a membership. There is no button to cancel your account. You have to send them a message. They advise they usually reply in a few hours. They don't. I just want to make sure my account is closed from these pirates.

Hello Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch with us about this.

I'm sorry to hear that the technician wasn't able to help you with your dishwasher but I'm glad to hear that you were eventually able to have the issue resolved.

I have looked into your account and closed the question and processed a refund for the charges that you incurred.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance and we're happy to help.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Provided the info that I had already replaced three parts on my dishwasher and needed a much more prescriptive effort/failure detection process. Specifically provided expectation that if they could provide that then I would be happy to pay the $23 charge. Instead, I got a "I was going to tell you to replace the pump" solution, which I had already told them I did in the initial $5 charge. Then my CC was hit for 2- $5 charges and the $23 charge. TOTAL RIP OFF! Just call SEARS instead, their techs actually diagnosed and fixed it fast on first try.

I found JustAnswer to be great with my electronic piano problem. The expert, Rusty, knew his stuff and gave me a number to phone for parts. He knew how to install the part and walked me thru the steps to fix the problem. It all took a few minutes. I am very satisfied.

Resolution response: Feb. 28, 2017

"Due to the text nature of the communication, it is advisable, as you discovered, to provide as much detail as possible. We do provide the ability to have a phone call with the Expert " from JustAnswer
The above was the answer to my problem, yes I did get an answer to my legal question, but as I have indicated to them the fact that 1) provide question 2) connect with a lawyer or doctor or whatever 3) Talk one on one online (which leads you to believe that you will be chatting vs just an answer ) so was I pleased? well, I would say it was a hassle and the fault lies with the both of us. My advice, they are helpful only if you expect a Black or White, a Yes or No, or this is what you need to fix the problem, and don't expect an answer on a timely basis.
Now the nature of my question and the answer received, honestly truly made it a point to spend the extra $61 and get a conversation and answer.
I received three answers but the last one was "you would need to sue to take any action as a legal matter. Practically, some people would do that but not technically allowed." can anyone decipher that one?

All in all, thank you JustAnswer customer service, at least you were responsive and attentive to my problem.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any confusion that you experienced. In looking into your account it doesn't appear that you are now or have ever been on the membership.

You have been charged for posting the one question to the service and it appears that you received a response form the attorney and rated him positively.

We will each out to you privately to discuss the details of your account and work to clear up any confusion.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Contacted a few hours ago and added Amex card for $5 refundable deposit. I am a first time user, and all I wanted was an answer to a legal question. I provided my information, then email + created password probably for the answer, then a charge of $31. After processing the site led me to charges on a monthly basis, or our gold membership, or platinum yada yada. Hey all I wanted was one answer, not a membership to the club, with no way to opt out. Luckily, AMEX provided a fraud alert via text and would not pay until my consent. Since I have no clue as to why I cannot get one answer without joining the club, I opted out completely. Now I will advise if I ever see the $5 chargeback.

JustAnswer.com Company Profile