Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Dr ** led me thru what might be the issue with my cat and directed me to get him to a vet asap. He did have the worse case issue she diagnosed. Hope to keep him around for a year or so and comfortable.

I found JustAnswer to be great with my electronic piano problem. The expert, Rusty, knew his stuff and gave me a number to phone for parts. He knew how to install the part and walked me thru the steps to fix the problem. It all took a few minutes. I am very satisfied.

Resolution In Progress

Hello Mark,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any confusion that you experienced. In looking into your account it doesn't appear that you are now or have ever been on the membership.

You have been charged for posting the one question to the service and it appears that you received a response form the attorney and rated him positively.

We will each out to you privately to discuss the details of your account and work to clear up any confusion.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Contacted a few hours ago and added Amex card for $5 refundable deposit. I am a first time user, and all I wanted was an answer to a legal question. I provided my information, then email + created password probably for the answer, then a charge of $31. After processing the site led me to charges on a monthly basis, or our gold membership, or platinum yada yada. Hey all I wanted was one answer, not a membership to the club, with no way to opt out. Luckily, AMEX provided a fraud alert via text and would not pay until my consent. Since I have no clue as to why I cannot get one answer without joining the club, I opted out completely. Now I will advise if I ever see the $5 chargeback.

Hello Hillary,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. In looking into your account we have located the conversation that you had with the Vet.

It appears that you were able to reach out to our Customer Support team on 2/7/2017 and that the charge has been refunded to your paypal account.

We do hope that Toby is feeling much better. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I asked a question regarding my puppy Toby. Emailed this question to a vet on JustAnswer and paid $20. I got no response at all. I called JustAnswer and they wanted a screenshot of my PayPal payment before they would refund my payment. No answer and no service--terrible experience. NEVER AGAIN!!

The help I received was fantastic, accurate and prompt. The expert really knew what he was doing and helped me rewire a complex elevator control system. It would have cost me hundreds more and been weeks before a tech could have come out to assist me from the elevator company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JustAnswer.com?

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this and for sharing your experience.

We're happy to hear that the Vet was able to help you through this and hope that you will keep us in mind if any other issues arise at odd hours.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

My dog ate dark chocolate. JustAnswer.com was so helpful and reassuring to have access to a professional when experiencing an emergency during off hours! I was very nervous about what would happen to our beloved pet. Thank you for this much needed service. Every time I've used JustAnswer.com it's been great!

Hello Kathy,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

We're glad to hear that the Vet was able to steer you in the right direction and we hope that Lynx is on the road to recovery now.

Please reach back out anytime you need help, we're here 24/7.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I received a phone call from a vet who was patient and thorough with me with my describing a situation a friend of mine's cat was having. She took the cat to the vet the next day, after following the online vet's suggestions and found an infection she didn't know the cat had that was causing the scratching that the cream would not have helped.

Excellent, knowledgeable homeopathic doctor quickly found the right remedy for a health issue. He also had backups, links to purchase and was patient with my many questions. Have recommended this needed service to a friend who may want to go this way with rescue animals.

I couldn't get my Kindle to charge. JustAnswer helped me with a couple of easy steps to get it started again. Easy to follow online helpful hints and solution. I only had to reboot my Kindle and then re-charge it to get it going.

My Cadillac Escalade was always spontaneously shutting down. Car dealer mechanics could not figure it out – just said replace everything – only several thousand dollars and maybe the car will be ok. Found just answer online and took a shot. Received immediate response from a real mechanic who told me I needed certain codes. He then evaluated the codes and told me what he believed to be the problem and why. He explained what had to be done and well as a whole lot of info about my car – could not get anything from any dealer nor was the info in the manual. I had immediate response throughout my contact and could not be more pleased. Great website, real people, very reasonable. Would use this site again and again.

Dog ingestion - The vet responded within less than 19 minutes. He not only gave clear advice but also sent link to research article. Very helpful with reason for advice. Available for follow up discussions if necessary and a time frame that he would remain online. Highly recommended.

The technician quickly and professionally helped me troubleshoot and repair the blower motor capacitor on my furnace. The part needed to repair it was $9. I replaced it in minutes and had heat again. The HVAC company wanted $300. He saved me a lot of money. Greatly appreciated.

Resolution In Progress

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your recent experience on the site, we apologize for any confusion.

When using the website there are multiple means of connecting to and conversing with Experts. You can post a questions online and continue the conversation back and forth on line, or for an additional fee you can connect with the Expert over the phone and they can guide you through the problem that way.

In looking into your account it does appear that you were able to get in touch with Customer Care and we have issued a refund for the charges that you incurred.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance or have any other questions about the website in the future.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I went online January 13 with a question. I tried to make a deposit of $5 and was told the card would not go through. I then used another card next. I NEVER RECEIVED AN ONLINE ANSWER. I instead upgraded to a phone call. While the doctor was kind and helpful, my first card was charged as well as the second card. Additionally, I was charged for an online answer I never received in addition to the upgrade preference of the phone call. This company should make their policies clear.

When I phoned about the problem, I was told I had to pay for the online answer, the deposit and the upgrade. Why would someone pay a 'deposit' which was not included in the payment when it went through? A deposit is a 'deposit' not an additional charge. And why would I pay for an online answer which was never given nor received because I upgraded service to a phone call. So THREE CHARGES for one answer. Will NOT be using this service again. I don't mind paying for something I have decided to pay but don't like being bamboozled into paying three times for one service which was never made clear in the beginning.

Barun held on to the end! I needed help with Windows 10 display issues. Barun quickly responded and worked through an initial solution knowing I had to rush off to work. When we signed off I realized the solution wasn't quite complete, and in a moment he was back on with me, working through everything to the end. My issue was completely resolved, and I felt connected to through the process in a way I wasn't expecting given the nature of online connecting.

Hello Crystal,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We're sorry to hear that you didn't find the service to be valuable.

In looking it does not appear that we have an account tied to the email address that you provided Consumer Affairs.

We will reach out to you privately in order to gather some information to locate the account.

Adam - Customer Support Supervisor

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

It's not the $5 they claim. They charge you an additional $17 once you get a reply. I was okay with the initial $5 but not the extra $17. It's a scam. Of course I'm sure it's all in the small print so they won't give me the $17 back as requested. I would not recommend this service. You can find the same information on google.

Somehow I was enrolled your service at a cost of $38/mo. [Your mistake or mine, don't know]. I called and within one day the matter was resolved and my $ returned!!! That was fantastic, particularly in comparison to other companies' sorely retarded idea of "communication". Perhaps another additional business model for your firm could be doing consulting in this particular area; here's a place to start: "Sprint phone company". I signed on with them in November and cancelled with them in total exasperation early January; even their own point of sales people expressed total frustration with them. I just received yet another bill from them in the postage mail... I'll go no further now... Anyway thanks for your great service. It is nice to know there are companies like yours out there.

This is a good service and I would and have used it again. The "expert" was just that. I'm elderly and having a difficult time with computers. My "expert" was aware of this and was patient. The fix was complete and my satisfaction undeniable.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced in navigating the site.

You can contact customer support any time from the Contact Us link on any page and that should take you to the main Help Page

From there you can choose to contact us via chat, email or phone, and the phone numbers are here:

We will reach out to you about the difficulty that you experienced in responding to the attorney and help to reconnect you.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I signed up, asked a legal question, got a reply needing for information but when I tried to reply through the message box it wouldn't unlock for me to respond. There is no number to call for help except email. I sent a request for help. Received no response. Each time I log back in I get to the same spot and cannot reply. I don't know what the glitch is and can not get any help.

Hello Rubin,

Thank you for getting in touch about your experience on the site recently, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive the response that you were looking for.

We do not seem to be able to locate an account for you using any of the information that you have provided so far. We will reach out to you privately in order to locate the account and get your refund processed.

You can also reach out to us anytime at support@justanswer.com and representatives will respond 24 hours a day, usually within 4 hours.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Information on Remote Codes - Paid the $5 for an answer but was referred elsewhere and could not get a clear answer. Then tried the experts approach, charged additional $27 and still was not satisfied. Thankfully Bell solved my problem. Believe you should refund me as you did not help.

Hello Sherry,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We're sorry to hear about the frustration that you have encountered.

We are unable to locate any account tied to the email that you've provided to ConsumerAffairs so we will reach out to you privately in order to locate your account.

With regard to site security. Our security certificate is updated daily and there has been no record from any other customer regarding this type of issue but we will gladly follow up with you in order to look into it.

If you do need to reach our Customer Care team we can be reached 24/7 at support@justanswer.com

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Looking for some advice via internet. JustAnswer popped up. I read their info & mistakenly thought I was entering the question for review by a certified mechanic. When I entered my card information I noticed that the info was being "reviewed" by a technician to then pass to the mechanic. Before I could shake my head at the deception I had already entered my payment information. I immediately requested a refund. I was unable to see that the refund happened as my payment had been charged for 2 fees & then had 2 additional transactions for $0 dollars posted to my account.

This week I suddenly have my payment card hacked with 3 different charges totaling more than $900.00. If not for my card carrier notifying me of the hack I would not have been aware & whoever was hacking my account would have kept stealing from me. The only payment interaction was with JustAnswer.com. Seems like the route of hacking is pretty clear. Don't trust this site.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for any confusion. In looking at your account it does not appear that any change has been made to your membership plan and it does not appear that you had contacted us regarding the membership.

We're sorry to hear that you want to turn off your membership feature. We have processed your request and moving forward, you will not see any recurring membership charges. Your account is now on a pay-per-question basis and you will only be charged when you post a question.

The recent charge made to your card has been canceled. The funds are made available to your bank the next business day, however, the bank may take 3-5 business days to release the funds back to your account depending on their policy.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I made the mistake of trying JustAnswer and the "free" trial period cost me about 60 dollars so far. You have to pay $5 to sign up and they tell you they have a 30 day refund guarantee. But the "free" period ends after only 7 days and then you are charged the subscription price. I signed up for the cheapest rate and that is what I was charged the first month. Then the second month I was charged for the next highest rate. I never asked to change my membership and I would have canceled earlier if they had made it clear the free period was only 7 days. From the high number of complaints on this website alone I should never have clicked on the JustAnswer site and I will NEVER do it again. My advice is to stay away from them!!!

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this.

We apologize for any frustration. The cost of the question is actually presented in several places. On the same page where you enter your billing information, on the Order History page when you are logged into your account, and you are also sent a email receipt with the full deposit amount upon posting the question.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss the account details and see if you still need any other assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Decided to try just answer for an automotive question and was prompted to put credit card # for 5.00 charge on my account, then during process website asked me to sign up for additional money which I did not click any of their offers as I did not want additional charges on my card and haven't used site before. The next morning I see an additional 23.00 charged, when I called customer service the woman told me that all this is explained in their website. I explained to her that this seemed misleading to me and she promptly told me that it was not that I just have not read their policies on their website. I am still not understanding why there is a 5.00 fee and then the next day a 23.00 fee. This just seems very deceptive to me. Why would it not be a 28.00 fee upfront? Be honest at what your product costs, do not bury it in your web pages for consumer to have to research before use.

Hello Larry,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this experience. We're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the response from the attorney.

Per our satisfaction guarantee you have been a refund has been processed back to your Paypal account and you should also have received a notification of the refund from Paypal.

If you ever need assistance in the future with a legal, or any other matter you can send a message to support@justanswer.com and Customer Care can always locate another Expert who can work with you until the problem is resolved.

Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I used JustAnswer before and been happy. Not today! This time was a whole nother story. Bill an "Immigration attorney" Who could not be bothered to say hello... Which is a minor thing when you think about how important lawyers info is. He gave conflicting, contradictory advice, when I posed one simple question, which could have been answered with a simple answer. 3 quotes of him contradicting himself, and asking for clarification, led me to believe the guy is drunk.

I started to wonder... and saw that he only had 2 ratings. A 1 star and a 2 star... I have now been waiting 3 hours for clarification, again. Oh and to top it off, as I had good experience before, I paid the full amount by Paypal... for legal advice I do not care about $38, but I had no option to pay he $5 good faith payment. If you folks care about your reputation, get rid of this guy! Make good and I might come back, some of your folks are great.

Insufficient response received

Hello Ashley,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your recent experience on the site.

We're sorry that you were not happy with the response that you received from the attorney. The deposit for the question does allow you to continue the conversation for as long as you need to in order to resolve the issue.

We have been unable to locate an account tied to the information that you've provided so far but we will reach out to you to confirm your account and take any steps necessary to resolve the matter for you.

You can also reach out to our Customer Care team 24/7 from the help page or by sending an email to support@justanswer.com

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I was fired and it was due to a manager setting me up.... No investigation, it was retaliatory, and I was encouraged by a lawyer of over 20 years via JustAnswer to file with the EEOC. Well, they only handle cases for actual discrimination and not only that, I needed mounds of evidence and paperwork which she failed, of course, to notify me of. The lawyer I paid $35 to speak with one time, claimed they handled hostile work environment claims too. He was very wrong. I would have been better off traipsing around town paying a consultation fee to an actual local attorney.

Hello Ralph,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the good faith deposit. An initial $5 deposit is required at the time the question is posted and the balance of the question price is collected once an Expert responds to the question.

This information regarding the deposit is displayed on the page where the customer is prompted to submit their payment details and questions are posted only when the customer acknowledges and accepts the payment terms.

An Expert responded to your question which is why you received a charge for the balance due, however, the Expert isn't paid unless you’re satisfied with the help received and rate the service accordingly.

An overview of this process can be found on the How It Works page here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-justanswer-works

In looking into your account I do see that we have refunded all of the charges that you had incurred.

With regard to the Experts, all of the Experts on the website have had their credentials and background verified by an independent 3rd party agency prior to being allowed to respond to customer concerns.

If you need any further assistance at all, don't hesitate to reach back out to us.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I signed up to ask ONE question for $5.00: how to add time to my Pay As You Go TracFone cell phone. Next thing I saw was that it would take up to 4 hours to answer my unless I paid more for a quicker response. I did NOT want to pay more or wait 4 hours. I exited JustAnswer.com (with no answer) and instead went directly to the TracFone website, and added time.

Next thing you know JustAnswer.com charged my checking account $5.00 even though I had never gotten an answer. JustAnswer.com kept sending me e-mails saying they have my answer, which of course I no longer need. Next thing you know JustAnswer.com charged me another $15.00 for the next 3 e-mails they sent me. Three days later JustAnswer.com charged me $30.00 for a membership. I complained to Chase and they stopped JustAnswer.com. JustAnswer.com sent me another e-mail saying they refunded my $. Right! Chase got it back for me. I tell everyone now, "Who knows what 8th grader is searching the web for your answer and telling you their PhD qualifications?" Don't do it.

Hello Kate,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. We apologize for the inconvenience.

In looking into your account it appears that you had opted into the membership in October of 2016 and posted several questions that were covered by the membership that you would otherwise have had to pay-per-question on.

Customers who have opted into the membership can cancel anytime from the My Account page after they log in.

At this time we can confirm that you will see no further membership billing. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Adam

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I contacted JustAnswer in October 2016, was very happy with answers, but I did not realize I was signing up for a monthly membership of 36.00 charged to my PayPal account. I noticed the automatic payment today, January 6, 2017-- canceled it on PayPal. On JustAnswer, just be careful. They will trick you into joining.

Hello Helen,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the good faith deposit but I'm glad to hear that you found the help from the Computer Technician to be valuable.

I hope this clears up the confusion about your charges but please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be further assistance.

Adam

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

First, I must say that the help I received was absolutely outstanding. I couldn't ask for a better response. My issue is the same as many others indicated. I had no idea about charges. When I first contacted the site (and I have no idea how I got there) I was informed about a $5 charge that would be refunded. Then I was informed that I could get a 30 day free membership, which I signed up for. However, this morning, I find an additional charge on my credit card. I find this very confusing and frustrating. It isn't that the charge is unreasonable but, rather, it wasn't at all clear I would be charged for the service or how much it would be.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this experience. We're sorry to hear that you feel that the cost wasn't communicated clearly.

The value for the question is presented to you on the same page that you entered you billing information on as well, a receipt with the full value of the question is sent to you as soon as the question is posted.

We do sincerely hope that the assistance that you received was valuable when compared with the comparable cost and delay of having a technician come to your house to resolve the furnace issue that you were facing.

If you need any further assistance at all with your account, please do not hesitate to reach back out to us and we're happy to assist.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I recently used the JustAnswer to solve a furnace problem. That worked fine. A week later my bank account was hit for a $38 charge while I was expecting $5. Seems they are not upfront about their charges. I was charged $5 for asking a question and then $23 for the answer and $10 for a membership, none of which was made clear. Upon calling they agreed to refund the $10, but told me the expert who answered my question would not be paid if they refunded the $23. I would not recommend them as they are not upfront about charges. During my Q&A I was repeatedly given the option to talk with the expert via phone instead of email for an additional $24, but somehow they don't feel they need to be explicit about the other charges.

I contacted the Vet Services and was very grateful and happy for this service! A vet answered my question right away and gave me great advice! It's comforting to know there is a professional out there who is available to me 24/7 to answer my questions!!

The person that help me was great. Nailed the problem in a quick second. Only asked 1 question and wanted an answer. I responded. He did the same and the problem was solved in less than 3 min. Excellent employee. Just don't ask for CA call. Cost 24$ more.

JustAnswer.com Company Profile